Speaker 1: Welcome to the Nightcap Monday Night live in the studio. For the next two hours. We have a couple of I was gonna say old guests, but they're not as old as I am. Well one is, one isn't. Uh and and uh. And when I say old guests or old friends, I mean they have been a part of The Nightcap almost since I started. They're friends of mine, and I asked them if they'd like to come up and do a show some night. I was doing maybe three or four shows a night, then a week, and doing a lot of different stuff with the with the program, trying to figure out what I wanted it to sound like. Of course it's evolved into an issue an interview program for the most part, and they'll be a bit of that tonight, but we're gonna have some fun too, uh. First off, and I'm gonna find his walk up music. Eventually I decided that are there MIC's up there? Joe? Okay, I can't, I can't hear him. That works better, all right. Joe Waddell producing tonight. First off is Mitch Bruiser. He is in law enforcement and we definitely will cover some bases as it regards people who uh, put their lives on the line literally to keep the seats, the streets safe, sometimes the seats safe, and and to keep us uh, to have some semblance of law and order in a society which sometimes is sadly lacking. And we plenty of examples of that on the news almost every single day. And we also have my friend Paul Height bait shot Paul who works at the Party Source. He works in the cigar store. Is there official name for the cigar store at the Party Source? Just the humid or the humidor uh? And they were on a long time ago. I just realized I've been doing nightcaps here on seven out of WLW for about eight years now. It's been a long time, which is just for us. Amazes me.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, a lot's happened since we've been here, like a lot for both of us. I mean, hell, Paul died twice, three times, three times? You see look at that, So your walk up.
Speaker 1: Music should be Tea three times a corpses or something like that. No, it was uh a few years back. I remember going to a golf outing to help you benefit your medical expenses and stuff. Yeah, because you had at that time. What happened to you, Paul, it was it was a respiratory thing, right, Yeah, it was pneumonia or new macacal number two oncesis, I thought I had the flu. I stayed on the couch. I've self medicating another word.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: You were a stubborn person and it landed you in the hospital and almost killed you.
Speaker 3: Kidney shut down, all the everything started shutting down. How long were you in the hospital, remember for three months? Yeah, it was a lengthy period of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. Mitch has gotten divorced and remarried again. Since the last time.
Speaker 2: You and I got divorced, I got remarried to an amazing woman, three boys, all of a sudden boom like.
Speaker 1: That instant family. Lived in three different.
Speaker 2: States since since, I've been here a few years closer to retirement, which is a good thing, right God?
Speaker 1: What else? I mean? It just goes on and on and on. I remember your some of your stories. We won't mention which department of law enforcement Mitch works for, but they are right on the front lines every night, and you work a lot of overnights.
Speaker 2: I work, Uh yeah, I work from six at night till six in the morning with a group, big, great group.
Speaker 1: Of guys, is it crazier at night? I don't know about that. This is the moon that I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've I've been on both days and nights, and I think that they both have a different element to them. You know, you're definitely got a little more traffic during the day where you don't have as much of that at night.
Speaker 1: But you got other stuff. Nothing good, you know, nothing good after midnight.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, it's never good.
Speaker 1: Did you want to you wanted to speak at all to the Hamilton County Sheriff's deputy who was murdered well, directing traffic. They retired sheriff deputy who was working and murdered.
Speaker 2: By I don't know what else I can say about that that hasn't already been said those who knew Larry. I've known him obviously for a lot a lot of years, and it was just anytimes anything like that happens, it's earth shattering.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so senseless. And when you think about what ice officers are going through now in different parts of the country, trying to do trying to uphold the law and do their jobs, being attacked by people. I was glad to see that the President finally said if you're throwing rocks at our vans, we're going to arrest you and you know, prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. It's about time. They should never have to put up with that yearage. Yeah, it's a bad situation. It's and I have a feel it's going to get worse before it gets better. Yeah, you got to know that. But you've got to stay strong. I mean, you got to. You've got to continue to enforce the law. You have to. I don't like the law, then work to change the law. But you don't change it by violent overthrow. Doesn't not in this country, doesn't do anybody any good. That's odd. This is best Deel Day talking about violent overthrows. There are a lot of people that I want to remain in prison though, you know, and that's a big problem I think too. In the criminal justice system, there's somewhat of a revolving door. The recidivius rate is out the roof, is it not among people committing crimes and violent crimes, it's a yeah, it's it's a revolving door.
Speaker 2: It's the same it's generally, Yeah, I mean, everybody knows who lives on what corner, you get a call to a certain addresser like, oh, I know who that is.
Speaker 1: You know what to.
Speaker 2: Expect for the most part. Yeah, but it's a shame that it's that way, But it is.
Speaker 1: What's the most dangerous call? Is it still domestic disturbance? Is it serving a warrant? Is it a so called routine traffic stuff?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can label one as being more dangerous than another. Domestics I think are are it's in general, I think it's the the unknown, whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: Because you've got all those extra emotions going in.
Speaker 2: You don't know what you're going to pull up on. You know, you try to be tactical about things. That's not always possible. Yeah, but whether it's a car or a house or anything else, you don't know what to expect at any given time. So I believe that I've always believed that it's hard to label one instance is more dangerous than another.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, it all can be dangerous, potentially dangerous. So, Paul, you were I think the first time you were in the studio with us on a kind of a round table night cab you were with A. J. Fernandez or was it, Yeah, as a cigar rep and you traveled around the country, right right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was Actually I was with Ventura the first time in the big studio, okay, yeah, and then I came back and was with AJ when I came back through.
Speaker 2: That's another change in order A broom closet. Now, yeah, this is a this is huge compared to where you were.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we do work in other studios sometimes just for a necessity.
Speaker 2: Now when Paul uses the word huge, you know, it's huge, huge, huge, But this isn't as big as our other studio on the other side the building, not the conference room, right, yeah, that would fit in.
Speaker 1: I mean there were times when I started doing the Nightcap. There were times when I started doing the Nightcap or the anniversary party for Saturday morning, when we had people in the studio. H that I had people whole band setting up. And these studios are not made for live music now necessarily have people plugging into mike cables and their instruments and you know, their organs and by the organs, I mean keyboards. Day, we're gonna we're gon a little while, we're gonna play word Association. Would you like to talk to Dick? Dick from Dayton, Dick. Dick from Dayton called out every show he was on Mark Levin the other night nationally. Did you know that didn't ye good evening? Dick?
Speaker 4: Well, Hi, Gary Jeff?
Speaker 1: How are you say hello to Mitch and Paul?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Mitch, how you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm good A long time, but yeah, I just.
Speaker 5: Wanted to tell you, Gerry Jeff. I think I told him last week. But I am just so hipped here, guys. I mean, the the activities director did a little story on me and I mentioned about how much I love iHeartRadio Cincinnati and the stars about music and my family.
Speaker 1: Did you tell them? Did you tell them in the interview that you would be nobody without Gary Jeff Walker on Saturday morning?
Speaker 5: Dick, That's what I told him. That's what I told him. And there's there's a yes, sir, Okay, yes sir.
Speaker 1: So no, it's it's great to hear from you. So any new happenings at the home. Dick recently moved from a fact from a family home to now a kind of a group home for senior citizens, and you know, it's.
Speaker 5: It's so nice, you know, And the thing of it is, I can Paul that the Uh, I come here, and all my friends thought that you told me Jerry Jeff and a lot of people that I was. I was playing with the guy today. It had a guitar. So I'm just it's kind of nice. It's kind of nice, course, miss playing down that Jerry Jefts bar mind.
Speaker 1: This is this is a this is a personal question, and if you don't feel like answering it, don't worry about it. Okay. When you moved into this place with all all these other wonderful seasoned citizens, there is there a lot of bed hopping going on, like in the villages in Florida. Good question.
Speaker 5: No, No, they put me upstairs of the Memory Union. But you can tell people walked around talking to this. One guy screams that, one lady hollers and yells, and so sometimes I.
Speaker 1: Have here the Well, that's it. You got to watch out for her, dick, because one night you may just wake up and she's gonna be right there in your bed.
Speaker 3: And just be careful. It's not a group home. It's a group participation, all right, dad, Well listen, have a wonderful evening. Thank you for chiming in. It's always good to hear from Dick, isn't it? Fellas is absolutely Paul's. I was talking about how much he loves Dick.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's nice. Any comments Paul.
Speaker 4: Paul.
Speaker 1: By the way, Paul Height and I are what he called dump brothers. Dump brothers because there was one occasion on a nightcap when both of us, well Paul first used some language he shouldn't have used, and Gary Jeff was hot, and I was like, Paul, you can't see that with the technology took care of it. And then later on that evening, I used some language that I shouldn't and I know better. Yours is worse. I mean, I've got I got forty five years in this business under my belt.
Speaker 3: I know better see what this is. Yet this man cave does to you.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm not going to blame it on anything in particular except us. I tell you what, We'll take a quick break when we come back. We're here till eleven o'clock. By the way, the phones are open, and I want you listening to participate if you want to uh five one three seven four big one to play word association. And what we're going to do is I'm going to mention a name that's in the news that most people know and or a thing that is in the news, and I want your just top of recognition, random free thought association response, and it has to be a quick response. I don't want a whole dissertation from you, don't need a paragraph, but in one or two sentences, Max, when I say a word, I want your response. We'll ask the gentleman and we'll ask whoever is on the line for their reaction, not to how they respond, but how they themselves would respond to that name or that thing that is that is being mentioned at any given time. So we'll do that. Perhaps when we come back. Is there going to be a magic word? Who are you? Groucho Marks? What's the magic with that? The magic? Maybe you never know? Nine one On this Monday evening night Cap on seven hundred WLW, Yes a night cap in the studio Mitch Bruiser and Paul Height carry Jeff Walker with you on this Monday evening, July fourteenth, the All Star Break the Homework run derby tonight. That's something I wanted to talk to you guys about that's going on right now. That's the cal Raleigh. Actually, I need to remember the disclaimer on all these broadcasts. Any dissemination or recreation of this broadcast is expressly forbidden by Major League Baseball unless you have consent written consent. So I can't really tell you what's going on. If you cared about it, you're probably not listening to us anyway. To me, the greatest baseball player ever I didn't get to see him play is still Babe Ruth. And here's why I say this. Babe Ruth played at a time when there were only like eight teams, okay, so it was only the people who could actually play playing baseball, you know, and they weren't doing it just for the money. Babe did. But Babe Ruth. If Shohei Otani had started his career in America, not in Japan, he would be the closest to Babe Ruth because of his ability to win twenty games as a pitcher and hit at least twenty home runs in a season. That doesn't happen anywhere else. It happened with Babe Ruth on a consistent basis. Early in his career. He would win twenty games and hit over twenty thirty home runs in a season, which is just unheard of. It It doesn't happen today. Shoe a Tani has that kind of talent. Obviously.
Speaker 2: I heard somebody I don't remember what I was listening to the other day. They were talking about Babe Ruth and the fact that you always hear about his greatness and how great he was, But what you don't hear about is that he failed just as much as he succeeded. But you don't ever hear that. You never heard that. It wasn't he It was what you saw. You didn't You didn't see the failure of it. Though they always promoted the today's day and age. You see everything, you see, the good and the bad. Then you didn't see.
Speaker 1: You didn't to that. And even some of his baseball statistics. I think that made him wasn't I think that made me a greater because he was drunk half the time and out of shape. And out of shape, he'd be eating three hot dogs in the dugout in between innings, smoking a cigarette, taking us, taking a swig of beer, and then go out and knock one out of the bed. He'd call where he was going to hit it, and he and it worked. Hank Aaron obviously a fantastic player, fantastic home run hitter, and you know, you can make the arguments about players like Barry Bonds or whatever. I think the whole steroid era has been way overblown because Major League Baseball Number one turned a blind eye to it and encouraged it, and then you know, took a big dump on the players for doing what they gave a nudge nudge wing quick. Yeah, right, And I'm really concerned. You know, you think about Pete Rose and shoeless Joe Jackson who now had been taken off the band list for gambling the first come up for vote. I don't know, it's like twenty twenty eight. I honestly don't know. But anyway, what I'm saying is how much gambling do you think is going on in Major League Baseball among the players right now?
Speaker 2: Any sport right now? Here's a little trivia for you. When when the when the when Riverfront Stadium was torn down, all all the equipment that came got ripped out of there. There was a lot of it wentn't for auction, and there was one item that I don't know what it sold for, but it was the one item that sold for the most money, and that was the phone that hung in the red s dugout that Pete Rose was making bets from allegedly allegedly allegedly.
Speaker 1: The Peak's not here to answer or the other.
Speaker 2: Right, but but that was the one item that sold for the most amount of money when when stuff was auctioned. Do you think Pete had it all to do again, imagine having that in your basement.
Speaker 1: He would be truthful at the time. No, okay, Uh, Mitch and and you if you want to, We're going to play word association when we come back for news, which is now on seven hundred WLW. I don't know if Sean mentioned it during the news was out taking care of some necessary things during the break, but the news is reporting and Mitch actually brought this up. His wife, Amber alerted us to this. The wife of Larry Henderson, Hamilton County Sheriff's deputy, who prosecutors said was intentionally killed in May because he was filed a lawsuit claiming your husband's alleged killer and their family broke Ohio public policy and crowdfunded more than one hundred thousand dollars after the crime. You're not supposed to profit from your crime, essentially, is what they're saying. Prosecutors said Rodney Hinton Junior, the killer and father of eighteen year old who was shot and killed by a Cincinnati police officer one day earlier for brandishing a gun and stealing a car. Uh left the police station during a meeting with the Chief Fiji Friday, May second, and hours later got in his car and ran over the first officer he saw, and that was Larry Henderson. So good. I hope, uh good for her. I hope she gets all the money she can. Absolutely, because Larry Henderson didn't kill anybody. Larry was actually you know, you heard this over and over again. He was directing traffic at UC's graduation, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: He was, And he genuinely he was just genuinely one of the nicest guys you could you could ever meet, just absolutely, And everybody says that about everybody.
Speaker 1: I mean I said about Paul. I've said that about Paul. Will do anything in the world for you, well, especially since he almost died. I was gonna say I said that when I was, but everybody, everybody, everybody says that.
Speaker 2: But when But honestly, I mean, Larry, I couldn't if you held a gun to my head, right now I could not. I couldn't say one bad thing about the guy. I mean, would whether he would what? What would you what would you do if I had a gun to your head? Would you do anything? Would you comply at all with any request? I just wonder what you would do if you did have a gun to your head. You try to be serious with a guy, but you know you would know. I I'm sorry, I know you're good, but no, he's even a great guy. And it's just the whole thing is just it was just horrible. I don't know what's so tragic.
Speaker 1: And you got another sheriff's deputy right now who's fighting a battle with cancer, and uh, find find out what his name is? I've forgotten, do you know? Off the top of your head, Mitch. You will find out because there's there's some fundraising going on for him. And basically he just came to work one day and fell out and they found a tumored this I don't know a whole lot, but not enough to talk on it. It's not someone you know, not personally. I mean we associate, but not all right, Uh so prayers for that but anyway, okay, so word association and again the lines are open if you want to participate in this, but you've got to be on the line when I ask either one of these fellows to their reaction to a name or a thing that I'm going to give them. It could be something in the news, could be a celebrity, it could be a political figure. I'll read the name, and then I'll ask each of them with their first knee jerk response is without thinking about it too much. And it can be you know, a sentence or two if you've got that much to say, or people that have always accused me of not thinking too much. So good, you're perfect for this. You're perfect for this, but you have to give some answer. You can't just say no, I'm not talking about it. Oh, okay, five, one, three, seven, nine hundred, the big one. And then I'll let you play along with the guys on whatever word or name I give. So we'll just we'll sit here and wait for a moment and talk until we get a caller on the line, a fish on the hook. I think our first one is coming in, Joe, get their name, and then I'll put them on the air and we'll get Mitch and Paul's response to this and then we have this Brad in Hamilton is on the line, if that's really his name, and if you would just put Brad on the line, and okay, Brad, are you there?
Speaker 4: I am there?
Speaker 1: All right here. I'm going to ask the fellas first. I just want you to listen as we continue, okay, and then give me your first reaction, and don't make me hit the dump button. All right? Oh no, absolutely, all right. So it could be a political person, could be celebrity, it could be a thing. So we will start first with a thing, fellas a I trouble artificial intelligence. Yeah, I understand that, Brad. Thank you for giving me the definition. Hold on, Paul, Paul, what AI? What do you say? What do you think when I say AI? The future? So Mitch says, trouble, you say the future? Brad, what do you say AI? What's the first thing that pops into your mind besides artificial intelligence?
Speaker 3: Bull?
Speaker 1: Crap? Okay, thank you, Brad. Thanks for playing. We have we have Amy and crap, we have we have Amy calling for Milford. Hello, Amy? How are you?
Speaker 4: OHI good?
Speaker 1: How are you fantas? Are you ready to play word association? Sure? Okay? Uh? Vladimir putin Mitch evil. Okay, I mean we got the evil. Yeah, I was going to go along with the same thing. Yeah, you can have two evils. Yeah, yeah, that's that was my immediate Paul, What do you think Vladimir putin deceiver? Sounds like the devil to me? Evil deceiver? All right, that's good. Apparently nobody Terry in Milford, or is it it? Says Amy and Milford. Wait a minute, we just had Amy. Hang on, Amy, you're you're still there? Hello?
Speaker 4: Yes, I got disconnected somehow.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Okay, well, well, this is the way the game works. You give me a response, and then unless you have something else to say. Do you have something else to say to any of us about anything at all? Amy?
Speaker 4: No, I usually agree with everything you say.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you should. You should see about a psychological workup. I know, maybe he should. Maybe you should contact Joe Biden's doctor. He seems to know a lot about cognitive decline. Anyone, and he won't Hotel, That's right, he will. He will take the fifth Amy, thank you for listening, Thanks for calling that. Okay, all right, all right, now I disconnected her. If nobody else calls, that's fine. Rosie O'Donnell joke. Man, No, I don't know enough about her to say. What do you mean you don't know he's got a crush on her. She's been in the public eye for forty years. You have nothing to say about Rosie O'Donnell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all right, Well that was boring.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, cut me off. Well, I mean you riveting radio. I didn't have anything to say about it. I just I mean, you have to have some positive negative whatever.
Speaker 3: What movie that that girl's baseball? Yeah, she was good in that. See, that's just ating that.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're good in these movies that they could just learn to shut up.
Speaker 1: You know that's not the first time you've said that about a woman. Oh no, come on, I almost said something else there. You almost got me. Maybe I almost had to use the dump you could be to come a dump brother with us? Keep it. I would My first thing about Rosie would be makes me ashamed of my Irish heritage. That's what I'd say. That would be my response. Yeah, but I don't think about that. That's no Irish, just her whole person as a joke. But whatever. Yeah, so there's no answer. That's a bad answer, right, this is what you got to I just want your first reaction to this. Uh, and this is a loaded question for you. Random word association police and first responders, first class heroes. That was my answer. That's the first thing that comes to my mind. And you know what, You're not just a hero because you are one of those things, because I think real heroes and some are like Corey Comfretour, who gave up his life for his family in Butler, Pennsylvania a year ago when that assassin took a shot at President Trump. Corey Coffretour is a hero. When you will lay down your life for someone else, that instantly makes you a hero in my opinion.
Speaker 3: And when your job is laying down your life for somebody else exactly, that's a hell of a thing.
Speaker 1: If you're a police or first or a responder, you are always potentially a hero, I think. And I like first class too, and you are a hero. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I particularly don't like that.
Speaker 1: What do you not like about that, chiminal? I don't like it. I don't I think that.
Speaker 2: First of all, police officers, deputy shares of whoever there, They are the same as everybody else. That I don't like I don't like people buying food for me. I don't know how to put it. Nobody's perfect. I can tell you that right now. I can tell you that right now. Everybody worked hard what they're what they're doing. And I can tell you the group of guys that I work with are first class. And that's why I say first class because I've watched each and every one of them do something remarkable, whether it was something you know, get injured, you know, either were killed or a minor injury, or coming to have someone at a car accident, whatever it might be, and you did and without thinking. But that, but that doesn't mean that they're not going to be mistakes either. Because of the same group of guys I can tell you and I'm the same way, they're gonna do something stupid too.
Speaker 1: See. Okay, here's the point that I think you're making, and I just want to clarify it, maybe crystallize your thoughts a little bit, if I may. Heroes are not perfect. Being perfect doesn't make you a hero, no, but being willing to lay down your life for your fellow man.
Speaker 3: I think takes a special kind of person to want to do that job.
Speaker 1: And you said you said Mitch, that they're just like everybody else. I don't know that I could do that. I wouldn't want to.
Speaker 2: I just think that the general public persona is that that police and fire personnel have this holier than now, you know, kiss my rear end because I'm I'm who I am, I'm wearing this uniform.
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is I think that it's important to get that out there, that that you guys don't don't think that way, so they don't see themselves as heros. My point, they don't, and I think that's just it's very important to.
Speaker 1: Get that out Cryptocurrency I know nothing about it. Yeah, confusing, confusing is are you concerned that? Are you concerned because it's unregulated? Are you concerned because you don't know anything about it? Are you can see?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 1: The digital dollar scares the heck out. I don't know anything about it, and all I don't want to get rid of cash. Well, that's that's not for any other reason than because with cash, you're you can't be tracked with a personal decision you made, individual freedom. You can't be tracked for money you make or money you spend on what you spend it on, you know, unless you're running guns to terrorists. I don't care what anybody spends their money on. It's it's your business. Have you incurrency, I have not. Have you looked into it a little, but again I don't know enough about it to give a declaration of you brought I'm in favor of it or against you.
Speaker 2: You brought up cash. I think that's gonna be the big thing. Is cash is I think as on his way out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you see, I personally do not patronize any business that will not accept cash. That's a personal policy of me. I won't go to the Belgium waffle place because of that, they don't accept cash. I won't go to a Major League Baseball It still is for me, and it's not because I'm trying to evade the irs. It's not because of any nefarious purpose. It's just a matter of individual personal freedom, my purchases, my payments. I don't want tracked by anyone, whether it's the government or any other entity that is going to somehow cash in on I mean, they're doing it so much with social media, with Google and and things like that. We'll talk to Dave Hatter later. Tonight. But you're being tracked every day by social media if you use it, especially venues like Google. You're being tracked every time you use your debit card or a credit card. And people don't think about that. I mean, it's nobody. It's nobody's business. I mean they want. This is why I am not in favor of autonomous automobiles. I would never have a north Star in my vehicle because they know where you are all the time, and it's nobody's business where I go, on Star whatever whatever it is.
Speaker 3: I don't know on Star, north Star on Start in the hondais it is blue Link? Yeah? And I don't have Blue Link in my Hyundai because it's a twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: It's nobody. Nobody knows. It's nobody's business where I go, what kind of asphalt therapy I decide to conduct at any particular time, No destination, it's nobody's business but mine. Where I'm going. Yeah, it's not the governments, it's not the insurance company, it's not the car dealership. Uh So, I you know, you can call me paranoid, And just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Kind of like heading towards Orwell's predictions of a lot of them are coming true. Jasmine Crockett, Uh completely fake. She's she's an actress. That's it. I did a yeah performance theater. Yeah, there's a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from her accent to her wig, I mean everything she's she's completely fake.
Speaker 1: So do you think she she speaks with Uh?
Speaker 2: I think absolutely, she's just like she speaks like a Harvard graduate when she's not on TV.
Speaker 1: It all depends who you're talking to, how you're gonna talk. Yeah, it's a joke. You remember when Hillary Clinton became black at that black church when she was campaigning.
Speaker 2: Well, Kamala Harris did the same thing, depending on who she was talking to.
Speaker 1: Neither one of those women were elected president. Right.
Speaker 2: I mean you can say what you went to about Donald Trump, but the guy doesn't change who he is, and that's what makes him who he is.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think his authenticity is his biggest trait. Well, we'll get to Donald Trump as we continue tonight with Mitch and Paul, And again, the lines are still open if you want to play a free word free random association word association with us. One more ice Tough tough job, bourbon see. I was going to say that, but I knew what he was talking about, so I was like, I say, necessary, a couple more hours, necessary more hours, one more, one more, one more out. We're off at eleven. Well, you guys can go do what you want to do. I still got another hour after that. It's a Monday nightcap. While the All Star Break is happening, the homework run derby is happening, but of course I can't tell you what's going on. Somebody named Byron Buxton is up against junior Kemnero, who's feeding him softball Gophers. All right, we'll take a break. It's nine to fifty four, seven hundred WLW. One more hour, was the mysterious mister m and bait shop Paul. On the nightcap, Gary Jeff with you have All Star Break. The Reds resume play on Friday after Terry Francona's two thousandth win as a Major league manager, And you have to factor in the fact that Terry Francona has also lost seventeen hundred odd games. He has a fifty three percent winning percentage, which ain't bad when you're playing one hundred and sixty two games a year. But over the weekend, after the game yesterday, they were talking about two thousand wins and saying, you know what, that's one hundred wins this season for twenty years. He's been managing for twenty four years. That's a lot of baseball games and a lot of wins. I think we are extremely lucky the Reds are to have Landa and Terry Francona coming out of retirement to lead this young ball club. And I think there are obvious problems with the team this year that may keep them from being either a playoff team or a contender for a Pennant. Obviously with Milwaukee's just been in Milwaukee and the Cubs just tearing it up in that division. But that being said, I don't know that there was a better manager for the time than Tito for this team, do you think.
Speaker 2: I don't think Cincinnati Sports and is what the hell they're doing, regardless whether it's the head.
Speaker 1: Coach of a football team or a ball team. I don't know if the Reds deserve Terry Francona, to be honest, Probably not, Probably not.
Speaker 2: This city is is so and people are gonna hate me for saying it. But I can say this. I was born in Cincinnati. It's so fan friendly. You know, you do well in the city and they want to put up a statue to you, and you start doing you start doing poorly, and they want to string you up on Fountain Square and it's it's ridiculous. So listen to Lance McAllister show from Time to Tilly. One night the Reds win, everybody calls in, Oh, this is the greatest thing ever. Going to the World's here is the next night fire the guy. You know, every it's the same thing, and you listen to it. It's like, you gotta be kidding.
Speaker 1: Me, Paul. You've lived a lot of different places. I have, besides now currently residing in northern Kentucky. Yep, yep, on the good side of the river yep. But what's your favorite sports town New York? Yeah, Giants and the Yankees. You're still a Giants fan always. I got to talk about long Suffering. Well it was long suffering before they won their first Super Bowl. So yeah, you know, are you a Bill Purcell's devotee? Oh yeah, absolutely. The Tuna to the Big Tuna, the Big Tuna. What are their prospects? For this year, you're just hopefully.
Speaker 3: I think they put a lot of pieces in the right places.
Speaker 1: I think you they got quarterback problems like the Cleveland Browns, though, no, not necessarily. Oh, come on, the last ten years, the Giants have absolutely been searching and searching and searching without an answer. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we've got We picked up Jackson Dart. Yeah, and he's going to be a good one. We got Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I think he has as much chance to make an impact as Aaron Rodgers. And Pittsburgh was getting red and Aaron Rodgers going to the New York next No, no, he's already been to New York.
Speaker 2: Okay, the other sat Okay, Yeah, that guy doesn't know where that was.
Speaker 1: I think, as in Pittsburgh right right.
Speaker 3: For the this year, the Giants will probably have the number one defensive line in the NFL. Okay, boom, there, I said it.
Speaker 1: Live. Can they score? Yes, wait till football season. He's gonna be crying.
Speaker 3: Every year, every every Sunday, They're going to the super My wife and I.
Speaker 1: My wife and I are sitting watching NFL every week, week by week, and we always and we always text him says sorry, about your luck, Paul, but you know what the guy's oil. Are you a loyal Bengals fan, Mitch? Hell No, I like to see the Bengals win. I'm more of a college football fan. I love college football. You don't care about the pros at all. I'm not.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 2: I could lay on the couch and watch a Bengals game and take a nap, but you put you put a Buckeyes game on man, and I'm I'm jumping up and down. It's different. I I just I watch the NFL. I'm just not a and I have I have zero desire to sit in that cold as.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the ni L and and the payments to players.
Speaker 2: I think it's inevitable, but I think it's it's uh. I think it's killing college sports.
Speaker 3: You know, there's got to be some sort of regulation, some sort of and there will be a cap.
Speaker 2: But Paul and I have talked about this. You know, use Ohio State as an example when I will because I'm that's that's my team. But Ohio State, Michigan, you know, these these these kids are coming to the to Ohio State for example, or Michigan for that matter. They don't give a damn about the rivalry. I thought what it was when I was growing up and before that, going back to the beginning of time. They're looking at dollar signs, that's it, and and it just takes away from it. And I always look at college well that so you know, they're looking at their bottom line.
Speaker 1: And I get it. I don't I don't blame them. Hold on, Buckeye fan. It's not like the players weren't getting paid. I'm not saying that quick. Everybody knew that.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying when you make it, when you make it out in the open and it's official, and it just takes away from what was left of innocence and sports. The way I saw it anyway, college football was.
Speaker 1: So why should the universities in the athletic departments make all the money.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that the kids are the one. I don't have the answers in I just think it's I just think it's bad. I don't like it. It's right now. It's the wild wild West. That's it's a money grab. Bravo for the kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's ruining the continuity of team building between nil and transfer poor, which is another thing that's not regulated.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, coaches can sign a contract and swear they're going to be there for the next five years and then jump to the next university in the second and break their contract. Why I can't kids?
Speaker 2: Now, my buddy Josh, he's oh and I gotta respond with a big I.
Speaker 1: So the Ohio University. It's the Ohio State University, the Ohio University. Are you a bobcat? What did I just say? People would say it's the Ohio State. It's not the Ohio State's the Ohio State University. So what you're saying, basically is I could put a gun to your head and you'd still say, the Ohio State. What else you got on your list over there? Let's get That's great. I love that. My buddy Doug Bonnson and Ripley Ohio is the same way. He's a Buckeye through and through absolutely.
Speaker 2: And my buddy Josh got I got brought this back from me from he went to Ohio State. I work with Josh, and he brought that back from I got this stumbler.
Speaker 1: Ohio State will win by three touchdowns. He goes they sucked today.
Speaker 2: He brought this back from me though from the Tennessee game the playoff game, and I had it in my possession every day the rest of the season. And look what happened. Who Yep, you bought yourself off. I didn't care if there was ice water in it. Yep, you got it all right. Word association illegal immigrants.
Speaker 3: Uh headache, busting up the infrastructure of our country.
Speaker 1: I say, gone, gone, gone. Yep.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I don't know how many times I've been charged with attempted rate murder, kidnapping, vehicular homicide, and human trafficking. It's a good thing I was born in this country or I'd be gone oo. I mean, the people who were against the ice raids and against the Trump agenda on illegal immigration that he won the election on, I don't get the only reason they're doing it because this is an issue where more than half the country, a majority of Americans in poll after poll, want illegal immigrants, especially criminal illegal immigrants, out of our country, as President Trump promised to do, and is pursuing and getting all the flack back against. So I don't get what it's. It's all it is is Trump sucks anti Trump no matter what he does, even if it's the best thing, but.
Speaker 2: It's still going to be a small select group that is fighting him, and that's what you're going to see because that's what the media is going to push. Look, let me look, look, look at the assassination attempt?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: How many ran in four? How many rallies did he hold? Ninety something? Right?
Speaker 2: CNN didn't show one, but oddly enough, the one that there was a assassination attempt, they aired that one. They're going to show you what they want you to see.
Speaker 1: Nobody watches CNN well sadly.
Speaker 2: The point is, though that I still think that the vast majority of the country is still supporting the agenda. But what you're seeing, and this is what we were talking about earlier. What you're seeing is what you're going to see twenty four to seven, what they're pushing. It's still it's a very small majority, it's very small group of people. But that's all you're going to see because that's all they want you to do.
Speaker 1: Paul, we were talking during the news break and you said you believe your father was a liberal in the sense of, you know, being in favor of the civil rights issues. Martin Luther King Junior and all of that liberal doesn't mean what it used to mean. No, And when people talk about democrats and liberals, they're really talking about Marxists and communists and socialists. Yeah, and those are not liberal ideas or ideologies. Right. So you you actually said you think your father would probably more than likely be a Republican today, And that's how the parties have switched paradigms in the last Yeah, you wouldn't be for boys in girls' locker rooms for example. No, he wouldn't be. He wouldn't be. You can change your sex anytime you feel like it. And I don't know. I'm speaking for my dad.
Speaker 3: Dad, I don't know, but I don't think you'd be for abortion right now?
Speaker 1: How can that? Now? Seriously, no matter how your views are, how can abortion not be murder? I don't understand that. Do you mention? How can abortion not be murder?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: I think that there are certain circumstances when when you can look at it differently without I mean, that's a whole We could be here for another two hours and talk about that. But I agree with you in general, and those who say, well it's not okay, Well, then if a pregnant woman is murdered, then wires are two counts of murder.
Speaker 1: Exactly from a law enforcement perspective. And there are many states where abortion is allowed. But yet if you're involved in a vehicular homicide incident in a car crash and you kill a pregnant woman and her unborn baby, they will charge you with two counts of murder. That doesn't wash. That doesn't make no X X and x y. You can't change the chromosomes. It doesn't make sense. I was so happy to see that the University of Pennsylvania finally came to their senses at the threat of Trump's money gun and told Leah Thomas that he was going to have to go ahead and grow a beard and be four hundred again in the world instead of a champion. And that was a success. There was another success today at the Supreme Court. Uh for President Trump and uh, when I remember what it was, I'll get to wow. After the bread Son, he's one of one of this one of my favorite, as you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we talked about starting to go.
Speaker 1: We talked about how long. Mitch asked me during the break, how long I'm going to continue to do this? I said, well, as long as they pay me to do it, I will do it. Be on the air. What I was going to talk about. I've always said for twenty years, my retirement plan is death, and Paul, you feel the same way I do because we didn't plan very well. Literally, that is my retirement plan. And miss, you're close to being retired in law enforcement three years Jue eight, right, and you can and you can go go. Good for you. What are you going to do afterwards? I got a lot of different options. I'm not sure. My wife, Amber's graduated nursing school in September and she's starting her career. And we got we still got the two boys in school, Wilson and Noah that are in high school. There's a lot there's a lot of things down the road, so a lot can happen in three years, so we'll see. Yep. So Amber is going to graduate from nursing school and her ultimate goal is to be a traveling nurse practice. Well, she wants to be a nurse practitioner down the road, okay, yeah, and you'll just go along for the ride wherever she goes in the country.
Speaker 2: Said, well, whatever whatever she wants to do, I support she's she's doing a great job. She she has overcome so many obstacles.
Speaker 1: Are you going to become a house husband? Absolutely? I would, I would love that. Sure. Sure, there's a lot of golf to be played. I've never seen you in an neighbor I've never seen you in an apron and you won't ever. But really, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen unless unless he gets a picture, right. I told you guys tonight I got stung by a bee on the swing in the front porch, and Mitch looked at me and said, what kind of swing? It's a front porch swing? What kind of swing? Did you think? You never know?
Speaker 2: You don't know if you don't ask right. Well, I mean, so you're going to retire eventually?
Speaker 1: Eventually? Sure? Sure, yeah, yep. And I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's I got a bunch of different options. But first and foremost is supporting her through her education and getting her career started off the ground, and then making sure that the boys are doing what they need to do and they'll still be in school and lots of sports, and you know, like I said, a lot can happen in three years. So who knows, no doubt about we'll see where we are. In twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Eight, found out my father is back in the hospital tonight. Oh no, it's no good. He had a serious respiratory issues that put him in the hospital for almost as long as you were, Paul, about three months in twenty nineteen, fun Man and my dad, god Willing, will be eighty nine at the end of October. And so every time there is an episode like this, my mother just called me and told us before I came in here today, and I'm going, Okay, do I do the show? Do I make a bee line down to Tennessee? Because you never know, and that's why you have to hold those people as close as possible and make your decisions accordingly. But I'm just I'm thankful for every precious moment I've had with my parents. They're eighty eight and eighty seven years old. They're still living mostly independently, but this is the second time he's had a hospital appearance in the last three months, and it just it's tough. It's tough. You guys obviously have lost your parents. No, no, my parents are Yeah, you've lost your parents. My parents are still alive, but they're not in great health. They're done in South Florida, and that makes it tough for me, but you know, you know what, you can get down there when you can. And uh, it sucks not being available to help as much. But they're you know, they're my mom's fighting cancer and my dad has got his own issues. But right, but yeah, well, you know, it sucks. What are you gonna do? I mean, but I feel so lucky to still have both my oh, absolutely in my life.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I My mom has been doing a lot better. Earlier in the year, she didn't know if she was going to make it through the summer and uh, and but she's doing.
Speaker 1: Praise God, doing better now. Still still still hanging in, doing good. All right, another half hour with Mitch and Paul as we continue on this live Monday night night cap during the Reds All Star Break on seven hundred w l W. All right, last half hour with mysterious mister m I. E. Mitch Brewser and Paul Paul Height here on the nightcap, Gary Chuff with you two more word associated things fellows. All right, Uh, Thomas Massey, don't.
Speaker 2: Don't know enough about him, honestly, sorry, he's your congressman, Paul. Yeah, but I'm a temporary resident. Honestly, I don't. I mean, I just don't.
Speaker 1: My my reaction is sticks up for what he believes, no matter what the political consequences. Donald Trump strong does what he says. You know who's in charge, and you certainly didn't have that with Joe Biden. No more questions, can charge. Yeah, I'm gonna ask you. Just in the news, another fourteen year old killed in Cincinnati, another twelve year old killed. The number of kids killed this year in Cincinnati under the age of eighteen up sixty four percent. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know. I can't answer that city. The city is so overwhelmed and there's so much going on there that I can't I can't even begin to get into. And it's really not my place. But something's got to get figured out. I know that they're understaffed, but who Isn't you know? I think that has a lot to do with it.
Speaker 1: Has anything to do with the mayor, or the prosecutor or the police chief.
Speaker 2: I'm going to plead the fifth on all that right now. I just yeah, I think I'll avoid that. Yeah, I think that's probably safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So one of my favorite satire sites in the world is the Babylon Bee and today's headline. I'm going to read these for you because they're just, I think hilarious, probably because we're all getting to be old men. When it comes to some quicker relating, well, we had a head start, that's true, we had a head start, dude tomorrow. True, Paul, he has no idea what's in the next ten to twelve years. He's fifty one. Yeah. Uh, And you know what, just for that comment, we're not going to tell him. I'm going to let him experience it when he gets there. I'm going to laugh.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Well if you're still able to laugh. Eight ingenious new life hacks discovered by gen z Eight ingenious new life hacks discovered by gen Z One. D iy Uber. Want to know how to always have an uber driver ready the moment you are Try the dy uber hack, where you actually get in a driver's seat, use the pedals and steering wheel to take yourself places. Hello freedom. Not the night cap, but a night nap. A night nap is where you lie down at night in a dark room and sleep for like eight hours. You'll be amazed how your energy levels will soar.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the last time I've slept for eight hours. Now you work overnights alone? I yeah, live voice texting. It's like texting, but you speak into a phone and the other person literally hears the things you would have texted. Insane, that's just skooky. Nobody talks on the phone anymore? Do you answer phone calls?
Speaker 1: Paul?
Speaker 3: If I know who's coming, Thank goodness with the modern technology and see who's calling you? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, if somebody you don't just text?
Speaker 2: Right, No, I'll talk on the phone, all right, I'll talk about I made phone calls.
Speaker 1: Here's another favorite ingenious life hack by gen z Things that they're just waking up to door dash but to stay enjoy your favorite restaurants amazing food, but you actually sit inside the restaurant and eat sweet door Dash to stay Instagram in real life. For this sweet hack, you meet actual people in real life and spend time with them. Did we just blow your mind? It's amazing? Actually sit down and talk to somebody in person. The credit doubler, I like this one. Want to know the secret to amazing credit? Simply pay the amount requested on bills that come in the mail and watch your credit score skyrocket. Who'd have thought permanent Airbnb? The permanent airbnb. Gen Z has cracked the code. You save up money, then buy a house and affordable location. It's like having an Airbnb, but forever, sex and month money getting money deposited in your bank account literally every month. By acquiring a useful skill and then getting other people to pay you to work. Watch those dollars roll in. I love the Babylon b for stuff just like that, obvious stuff that apparently some people have forgotten or never been taught. Do you think a lot of the gen Z issues are that they just weren't taught these things when they were kids? It was it bad parenting? Is it bad education system? What? What are you referring to? I'm referring to just I mean general stuff like this. It's so obvious to people like you and me.
Speaker 2: Because it's a whole different generation. But no, that's not an a well, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I mean, common sense doesn't take a vacation for generation. Common sense only goes so far. I mean, anybody, somebody has to teach you that common sense. So I'm just saying, yes, maybe they weren't taught for those things.
Speaker 3: Absolutely see a lot of a lot of that is, with every advancement and technology, we lose another little chunk of brain matter.
Speaker 1: Nobody thinks anymore. Like you're you're a father, right, you have daughters, right?
Speaker 3: But I mean, just as an example putting it into our age group for instance, like when we were growing up, how many phone numbers did you have in your head?
Speaker 1: You know? And then when cell phones came out? Hey, I remember that too. I can still I can still remember my parent's phone number when they had a landline and it's been ten years since they had, Like I had seventy numbers in my head, you know, eight two four nine oh eight two. I won't give you the Well, they don't have the number anymore, so I don't care. I could give the number and you could be calling someone else entirely in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
Speaker 2: I'm just horrible with technology in general. I mean, the guys I work with, I will tell you, they'll make fun of me all day, all night because I don't know anything about computers. And on a nightly basis, I'm like, here, figure this out for me, because.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, how do you do that? In law enforcement, we've got computers.
Speaker 2: When I went, it was all on pay everything was on paper. But I mean, you can do the basics. But I'm talking about even just just uploading things and doing this and doing that.
Speaker 1: It's just it's, you know what, I've had enough of that. I don't need that. I don't need that.
Speaker 2: But I'm with you at the phone numbers, and you know you always remember all your phone numbers, and I just don't.
Speaker 1: This is the only computer that I want to deal with. Do you remember your parents' home phone number when you were growing up as a kid. I do, That's crazy, Paul, Nope, no, I remember. I lost them all. Yeah, all right, well, but but what you were saying is very true to the fact that technology has made us dumb, yea, just by the sheer fact that we don't have to think about it. Another another example is a GPS.
Speaker 3: Do you remember back in the day when you used to have to have a paper map and new street?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what this is. This is another one of my random word association that I wanted to get to before we're done. Best vacation destination personally, Mitch, I prefer I like I like Florida, but I give me a specific place that you really love.
Speaker 2: I really love northern Minnesota. I got to take Wilson for his first time this year, went on a guy's fishing trip. And it's absolutely gorgeous Northern Minnesota. You're off the grid man, the home.
Speaker 1: Of the home of tampons and boys thanks to the governor.
Speaker 2: But you know what, you wouldn't know it driving through. It's a beautiful state and the people are fantastic. And yeah, the weather is ideal. And the order I get, the less I love bacon the sun, so I like the fall and I like the cool weather.
Speaker 1: So that's that's what I'm gonna go with. Well, yeah, melanim is an awful thing, Paul, is this bucket list? Well, no, a place you've been Ben Jamaica was a riot. Can you see him in dreadlocks? That was with a gones stick in his mouth? Yes, I can, I actually can't. That was late late seventies, early eighties. Oh wow, back when they had just had the election. You were working on the plantation, harvesting this stuff.
Speaker 3: And they had that campaign ad back then come back to Jamaica because you know, they had lost all their tourists.
Speaker 1: You know how the the political strife that was going right because of the Marxism that had overtaken me island for me, and you know, I'm with thank you. I loved going to near Jupiter, Florida to visit my brother and his wife on their yacht. A couple of years ago my brother sold it. My baby brother sold his house and realized his dream of living on a boat. Very and christ and I went down for about four days and stayed on the boat with my brother and his wife, and it was fantastic. Nothing like sleeping on a boat really. But the trip that we took before that, the year before that was to Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where I was born, for Labor Day weekend and the Midwest Old Thrashers Reunion that they have every year in this tiny little town where I was born, rural southeast Iowa population of about nine thousand. The population of Mount Pleasant, Iowa has not changed in like since I was born in sixty years. It's always been right around nine thousand. Just enough babies are born to make up for the folks that are noted, and they have and they have this festival that happens every Labor Day weekend for gosh, I think it's one hundred and twenty years called the Midwest Old Thrashers Reunion. They always have like a B list country headliner, so somebody's not at the top of the charts, but somebody's like Carly Pearce was the headliner a couple of years ago, and who's from Taylor Mill, But they have somebody like that. The festival grounds. There's a steam engine train that runs around the entire perimeter of the festival and it's a bunch of old farmers machinery and new farm machinery and historical kind of recreations of how life was on the farm back in the eighteen hundreds whatever. But just being there with the few relatives that I have up there. Cousin was nice enough to put us up in his house for the time being, and it was so relaxing. When I first told Chris to two point zero that we were going there for our vacation, he goes, Iowa, That's what I was said. Here we got we got home, and she said that was one of my favorite vacations ever. You know, you find you find them in like you said, northern Minnesota, the fishing trip for you.
Speaker 2: Wherever's from where I moved out in Ripley County, Indiana, from a little town Osgood, Indiana. If anybody's ever heard of it, Oh yeah, you blink and you miss it. But it's ideal. Paul's been there one traffic light town. Everybody knows everybody, they and and and it is just absolutely and beautiful. As an added bonus, lots of Trump flags, lots of lots of yep, but there's small towns, man. There's something to be said for that.
Speaker 4: Paul.
Speaker 1: If you had your brothers, where would you live? Would you go back to New York? No?
Speaker 3: No, no, Actually, when wife number two and I got divorced, we we had been living in Chicago when she decided to split, and.
Speaker 1: You would go back to Chicago. No, no, no, no, no, okay no.
Speaker 3: But I was in Chicago and I said, well, I can't afford to stay here by myself, so I I and I at the that time, I didn't have any family in this area. My parents had already moved on, and uh so I moved back out here instead of going to New York and where this.
Speaker 1: Is where your happiness happiest. Yeah, And you know, for the sake of the discussion, Paul lives in northern Kentucky, Cincinnati. That's right, living in a little piece of country. And and you want to go back to Indiana, Well yeah, I've sener later we will.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm in northern Kentucky myself, but and it's a nice area. But yeah, I think we'll end up going back to Oral, Indiana, which is you know, where she's from. That's what she wants, and that's what I want, what she wants, and I fell in love with the place absolutely. I absolutely love that part of Indiana. I mean, she was spot on.
Speaker 1: Is there anybody you want to shout out to in the last few minutes, Well, I would say Amber and the boys that I think they're they're already in bed.
Speaker 2: And then uh, of course the guys I work with that are listening right now. You got Josh and Randy and Jeremy and the whole the whole group, Jared and whatever, Harold there, whatever. M to the guy that we called Doogie Ryan Ryan whatever. You got another hour?
Speaker 1: I do, but it's full. Yeah, well we can we'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's doing okay, he's he's had his ups and downs as well, but he's still out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he moved from CPD to somewhere else. No, no, he no, he worked, that's where he's at. Now.
Speaker 2: Okay, she started somewhere else and went to CPD. But he's had his whole, his whole life's been turned upside down to him.
Speaker 1: I hate to but he's doing well, So Paul, everything good at the party Source. Everything's good at the party Source. Win are usually at the humidor we are going.
Speaker 3: I usually working from nine until about four o'clock and then Tuesdays I go back for our Tuesday cigar tasting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that happens when every Tuesday Tuesday five to eight.
Speaker 3: We've got a little bar in the back of the party so Merchant Merchants Club and on the patio there it's cigar friendly.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You come back twenty dollars, get four cigars. Usually there's a rep or one of the manufacturers there to talk about the cigars. You get to try some cigars that you haven't smoked before, uh, and find out what really hit your palate. So fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a pleasure having you guys in here right on board to death. No, it's great cool. Didn't like the random word association, but that's all right, I'll come up with something next time. That's okay, sure, all right. My friend doctor John Hubert from Austin, Texas with his thoughts on the aftermath of the terrible flood there and how people are dealing with that psychologically since he is a forensic psychologist and Dave Hatter before Midnight as the Monday Night Nightcap continues during All Star week here on seven hundred WLW, the Home of the Reds into the final hour of Tonight's Nightcap, Monday Night, All Star Weekend, the Home of the Red seven hundred wl W, Garry Jeff Walker once again with feeling we are coming to you right now VIR Studios at Kinwood obviously, but also with a connection because we have the technology to Austin, Texas, where my friend doctor John Huber awaits a forensic psychologist extraordinaire and also has been a guest on the Nightcap multiple times, going back all the way since we began about seven or eight years ago, and it's been a long long time, but it's great to welcome him back in doctor Huber, Doctor Huber, how are you?
Speaker 4: I am amazing, Gary Jeff, and I can't believe it's been that long. It just it just feels like it was yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I think it was twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen when they.
Speaker 4: Allowed me to twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they handed me the keys and said, go ahead, son, take the car, but be in before midnight. So we're attempting to do the same thing one more time.
Speaker 4: So Doc, well they totally you didn't have car insurance too.
Speaker 1: Oh listen, I'm driving like an illegal immigrant, just waiting to get my job back at the pot farm. Believe me, so believe me. If I if I wasn't born here, I would have deported a long long time ago. So I've really got very little symphony sympathy. But doc, let's talk about the yes, sir, the fact that you're able to enjoy life and you're able to laugh, especially with all of the misery that has been all around you for the past week and a half since the devastating, horrific, tragic floods in central Texas near where you are. And I understand you say it's raining again tonight, Yes, sir, Are you relying on your own your own psychological skills to maintain a good peace of mind? I mean, how are folks coping there overall with the loss of life and the loss of property and everything that we've seen from Camp Mystic and Curvell, Texas and that entire area. How are people holding up? Doc?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I'm staying pretty busy. First of all, you know, I'm keeping myself busy. I know, the other therapists in my office are volunteering. They're they've gone out there to Kerrville and they volunteer, and you know, they're they're volunteering their psych services. They're not they're not outlooking for bodies and things like that, and you know, they they're kind of covering for me because as you know, we've had conversations already that I've lost somebody that I know in the flooding and his family, his daughter, his wife and her grandparents or her parents, and it's just I just it's too close. I can't go out there and do that. And you know, I had FEMA training several years ago, about fifteen years ago, and I just, you know, it's it's you need to know where your limits are, and I just I can't go out there and deal with That's so in the meantime, I'm staying busy. I'm seeing my patients regularly in my office and working on some business plans and trying to to make the wills keep going around and around.
Speaker 1: Certainly, I'm sure that there are so many people who live in that area, whether they were directly affected by this, you know, a thousand year flood or whatever whatever it turns out to be, who have personally known someone who was lost in the flood or knew somebody who lost somebody in the devastation. So it's got to be just psychologically. It takes a real toll I think on the whole community's psyche, to be honest with you, And he's talked about some of the some of the people in your office who have gone out to help directly on site, and you have your FEMA training. What kind of a mentality does it take to do that kind of job, the rescue and recovery now that's going on, as a first responder or as a responder after the fact. I mean, you have to you have to be pretty strong internally to not come away with a hefty case of PTSD after all of that, don't you?
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely, And you know that that's part of the training. I mean, you know, in another world when I was, you know, a young eighteen nineteen twenty year old. You know, I used to do life saving and this first responder stuff and fast water rescue and things like that. And one of the things you realized, you know, you have to fall back on your training, and your training says, you know, you take care of yourself. Once you've done whatever rescue, you go take care of yourself because if not, you're going to.
Speaker 1: Pay for that down the road.
Speaker 4: And that's really important. And a lot of people don't understand that, And you're like, how come people aren't just sticking with it and going out there and hour after hour, And some people do, but they end up, you know, suffering. Usually it's people who are close a close relative got law and they're looking for the remains and you know they need to get closure. I totally understand that. So what has to happen then is you have to you know, feel saying you've got to keep your cup full or you'll never be able to fill anybody else's up. Also, you have to know where your limits are.
Speaker 1: Also, how is how important is it to the people of that area or the people in any kind of natural disaster who are surviving, How important is it to know that so many people around the country are pulling and praying for you and are are behind you in any way they can be, even from Afar.
Speaker 4: You know, it's amazing how much that that helps get that support. You know, I can say a lot of things. I had a lot of bad words to say to some of the people, like like Schumer, who is out there and blaming and using it as a political toy. And he stopped, and he rightfully. So you know, you're talking about the death of people who are helpless in that situation, young kids, young girls, and you know that that is just gastardly and evil for somebody to use that as some kind of political step. And I don't care you know which side he's on. That's just wrong. And it hit me in the wrong way again because I know some people who died in that situation, and you know, the day before they were so excited because they had such an amazing campground spot, I mean literally ten feet off the river. They were so excited. It was such an amazing Fourth of July. And you know, the card didn't play out right, and they're not here with us now. And it's evil to think that somebody is trying to take advantage of that financially or politically.
Speaker 1: Do you think that there need to be improvements in the early warning system because the warnings were sent out, but it was three point thirty four o'clock in the morning. When they go out a loop, river rose twenty eight feet in like forty five minutes. It's I mean, I don't know if any yeah, I don't know if any warning system would be enough for you at that point, at that place to prevent a loss of life or I.
Speaker 4: Mean, right, well, people forget how rule that part area, that part of the country is, and you know, they're way away from from you know, in most cases, their cell coverage is very minimal, so even the alerts coming to their cell phone aren't going to be there. And it's it's such a distant place. Well, people don't realize the camps and stuff like can't miss them, you know, during the off season. Those are deer camps, people out there hunting deer. I mean it's way it's deep in the country, and it's it's in the hill country. They're far away from from any kind of urban situation. So what essentially had to happen was the police and the sheriffs who were on duty at that time had to start driving around and actually going to the places and trying to get people up and notify camp leaders and and you know, the state parks and get people moving. And you're talking a handful of people, and you're talking, you know, several hundred, if not a couple of thousand people out there camping in those different areas, and it's just an impossible task. So so what what can we do? You know, I'm thinking, you know, with some of the stuff that's going on with starlink, you know how how Elon Musk has that going around the place, I think there may be some ways to connect some kind of an alert emergency alert system and tie that with starlink, you know. And and this is this is just a pipe dream. I have no idea. What's there. I don't I don't have any access to the governor or any officials at this point to do that. But I think that that there, that's probably the only way to get communication out there consistently and solid. And now you have to worry about, you know what, one interferes with starlink having heavy cover, so they have lots of lots of thunderstorms, really big thunderheads that's going to interfere with those signals too. So even that's not not one hundred percent all right.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor John Huber, forensic psychologists out of Austin, Texas and doc switching gears here a little bit. What has we've seen what's been happening in Los Angeles and other cities that are really really heavily blue as in Democrat cities with their reaction to ICE and the sanctuary city thing. I know Austin is technically a sanctuary city. Have you seen the kind of resistance Obviously, we had ICE officers attacked in places even in Texas last weekend. What is the mindset of most folks as it regards the deportation of illegal criminal immigrants.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, they're here illegally. They're criminals, and most of them in their own home countries, and now they're becoming criminals here. They need to go back. And And it's really interesting because I don't hear a lot of people, even even my my legal immigrant friends who come through the right way, they're like, look, you know, there's a reason for legal immigration. You know, we talk about crime and stuff like that. But as somebody who has access and privileges at different hospitals, you know, you don't know the types of diseases and stuff that are being brought into this country. And there's a reason for legal immigration. There's a process, you know, and if you're sick, you go into a quarantine and they make sure you're safe before they sent you out in the general population. And I know you know that that at different times in the past five to seven years, we've actually had some lefper colonies in different areas because people have come across with leprosy and you know that that's a that's a pretty contagious thing. Well then you walked through mall and damn, everybody's got it.
Speaker 1: Well, Texas, as you know, doc, was kind of like the centerpiece of the meatles, the measles outbreak that occurred last year, and I got it. They tried, of course, to blame it on the unvaccinated, but they didn't include the other part of that equation, the unvaccinated who came across our borders freely without any kind of vetting or as you said, screening for diseases like measles. And of course Texas is on the front line so.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because the physicians I work with, we talk about it all the time. It just never makes it to the media because it doesn't play with whatever you know, story they want to tell us. And you know that that's life. I mean, you know, we have to deal with that. But but being in the front lines and working with my physicians and having to deal with you know, patients walking in the door, we don't know what we're getting exposed to. And you know, as you know, a couple of years ago, I spent eighteen days in ICU because I got really sick. And it's a serious thing. It is something we all need to protect our families from. And it's not about we don't like these people. It's about we have to be safe and we have to maintain a safe environment, and then we have to foster that. And you know, we're a rule of laws. Let's follow the laws.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know this better than me or anybody else, doc, as a psychologist, we have enough native born knuckleheads in this country without importing them from the rest of the world.
Speaker 4: President President Party included, I'll talk about me, not you.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well it could have been. It could have been applicable either way, I guess, depending on your point of view. But absolutely so. How is life for doctor John Hume as a psychologist? How is the practice going? Are you doing anymore? You still doing the ketamine treatments?
Speaker 4: Yes, And you know I had I had a couple of patients coming in from out of state last week and we had some really amazing uh times, and uh, you know, currently working on another project and and uh entertaining my investors and and you know I spent today writing reports and getting stuff together for them, and uh you know, when they ask questions, you have to answer them, and that's the best way to do it. So yeah, just always moving forward. And uh you know we look we look behind this for direction. Is where to you know, how to make decisions in the future, not not to dwell on that. So uh that's that's what we're doing. And uh, I'm pretty blessed to have a good, pretty good situation, a good team of people. Uh you know, I can't wait to be able to talk to you about it. I have so many amazing people on this team, even a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate human physiology. And I'll be able to talk to you about that in the near future hopefully, Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look forward to it when your lips aren't sealed anymore. On all the wonderful things that you're involved with. And finally, Doc, since you and your wife have spawned two beautiful young adults, now you've got a son and a daughter, are you more confident no matter what you see in the news about the future of our country? Or are you more concerned than ever? I mean, I know it all comes down to parenting in the end, and you obviously have done an excellent job, you and your wife, But how do you feel overall about the future of our country with the young people that are coming of age now?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, the cream rises to the top, and what I see, you know, I'm blessed to have two amazing, amazing young young people. I don't want to call them children, they're both adults. And I see the people they hang out with, and I continue to be amazed and mesmerized in certain certain situations with the quality of people that they're hanging around with. And I'm worried, but it's more of a healthy respect kind of worry because I really truly believe that that greatness will will rise to the event and that they're going to have their leaders, and you know, I know we we have to have faith in them. I think they're making good choices, at least the kids my kids are hanging out with and the people they're around, And it's really almost exciting to see as I as I stay with that group because you know, we see knuckleheads all the time, we had them in our generation. You know, some of them are still my friends. You know, just because they're a little uh, you know, not not such a sharp tack in the box doesn't mean we don't want you hanging around, because you know, the kindness of your heart and all that kind of stuff is very important. You know, we are humans after all, and I'm seeing that with with my my kids friends and the people they're they're spending their time with, and even here in the Great State of Texas and the blue Spot of Austin. Uh, It's it's actually kind of refreshing to hear them talking because they want the same things everybody else wants. And I think they're learning that just because their parents voted for a certain party or certain politicians doesn't mean that that they're going to follow those those tracks and I'm pretty pleased at the moment. I may change my mind six weeks from now, but right now I'm pretty all right.
Speaker 1: Doc finally answer a psychologist, and I'm sure you haven't had the opportunity to examine her. But what's with Jasmine Crockett. I'm kidding, I'm totally kidding.
Speaker 4: More time principle right that, I'm just going to leave it right there.
Speaker 1: Our time is up, sadly, but it's always great to talk to you. It's been way too long and we will do it again soon when you can tell me more about the wonderful things that are happening in the world of doctor John Cuber affecting the rest of our world. And once again, as always, my friend, you have been amazing. Thank you, Thank you so much,