Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: It is seven five here at Kentucky in this morning news coffee and company with you here on news Radio eight forty whas. Yes, So be advised here soon if you are speeding through a construction zone here in Kentucky, you will I shouldn't say that, you'll you're guaranteed to get pulled over, but there's going to be those cameras set up and you won't see law enforcement, but the cameras will see you in law enforcement will be there ready in waiting to pull you over and probably give you a very expensive speeding ticket. So just be prepared for that. And it's certainly needed given the fact that there have been a lot of accidents that have taken place in these construction in these active work zones across the state. And that's why the House Bill six sixty four, the Jared Lee Helton Act, was put in place. So again, it'll start later this summer and in the fall, and it'll be a statewide expansion in the coming years. So you're not going it's not something they send you in the mail or anything like that, which I don't think that happens in Kentucky, but I know other states. If if you're running a red light and they catch your license plate, they'll mail you a citation or a warning or something like that. So this is not the same thing, but somewhat somewhat similar. So again, just be prepared. I could be wrong here because I you know, I assume most people just know, like, hey, the last place I want to get caught speeding or get pulled over as in a construction zone. But I hadn't really thought about it when it comes to the fact that you may just be you may be able to better get away with it. I mean, that's that's probably what's happened a lot of times, is that people realize, oh, I'm going way over the speed limit because it's a big time reduction and speed because of the active work zone. But it's not necessarily safe for law enforcement to be sitting and waiting and be able to accurately get your speed and then of course speed from wherever they're sitting and then pull you over, because again there's a reason that there's a very very strict speed limit because there's an active work zone going on. Therefore, you've got to be safe. So if law enforcement was just sitting there waiting within the active work zone, I mean getting out of there without being a very dangerous situation, and of course getting out of there quickly would be an issue. So now that's why these cameras are going to be able to hold people accountable and clearly hopefully keep people safer on the roadways. It's not just those who work out there that get injured. If you're going fast, there could be nobody actively working. But when you're going much faster than what that speed limit is, you can also end up in a wreck. So thirteen hundred crashes, seven deaths, one hundred and eighty five injuries in Kentucky last year, and most of the victims were drivers or passengers, not those that were actively working. So again, there's multiple reasons why you are advised to slow down when there's an active work zone going on. So just again, just keep that in mind. And I'm just thinking now, I don't know, maybe I should. It's not like I assume. It's not like I assume the worst in people. But I'm sure there is some listening that realize you I actually have a better ability to get away with speeding because of the situation. All right, let me tell you guys about the situation that's going on at County Forward. So there's summer sales event that's going on as we speak, and if you don't know about it, I'm going to tell you about it. You can enjoy zero percent APR financing, no cash down and no payments for ninety days, plus get a two year twenty five thousand mile maintenance plan on most new forwards.
Speaker 2: Think about that. Who wouldn't take advantage of that? Right now?
Speaker 1: You can also say it twelve thousand dollars off MSRP on the twenty twenty four point fifty and the twenty twenty four expedition. When you think of showing up to a car lot to look into a vehicle, I'm sure some of you think, yeah, it's the last thing I want to do. I don't like pushy salesmen. You don't have to worry about that at Track Cutting Forward. The people that have worked there have worked.
Speaker 2: There a long time. They're not turning over.
Speaker 1: Their sales staff like a lot of other dealerships because it's the place that people in that industry want to work.
Speaker 2: The culture.
Speaker 1: It's a family owned business. They've been around for a long long time, and I encourage you go check them out. They're in Oldham County, just ten minutes from Louisville Exit eighteen off of I seventy one. So again, it's Try County forward, all right, So what I want to do coming up after we get another update on traffic and weather. This is an interesting reddit thread that I think I think would be a great time to utilize the talkback feature on the iHeart radio app because this reddit thread is fascinating to me as a parent. But someone started a Reddit thread sharing a specific story about how much money they had to spend on their kid, and it's led to a lot of different stories about the most expensive thing that has ever come their way because of something their kid did. There's some that are just what they purchased, right, because obviously there's certain things they are going to cost a lot of money, but this is more so just like what did your kid do to where you had to, you know, pay for it? And there's some really interesting ones here and I've yet I can't think of one that was that tappened just yet, but my kids are really young. But I'm sure many of you listening can think of something that your kid did that you ended up having to pay for and then they paid for it via punishment from you for obvious reasons. I'm sure. So if you want to use the talkback feature, you can. It's on the ihet radio app. All you do is just click the microphone button while listening to us here on eight to forty whas, and then you you share whatever it is you want to share, and then we have it. It's that easy, So take advantage of it, all right, tracking on weather updates coming your way right here right now on news radio h forty whas. Something I want to dive back into is the continued conversation about this violent criminal Armand Langford who was let out on shock probation only to consistently show that he is in fact a violent criminal and now a family just left traumatize. But we're learning a little bit more just about the details as far as his record and not only the decision that the judge made, but I mean, he wasn't even technically eligible for what she wanted him to potentially, I guess. I mean, I can't even I can't even wrap my head around the decision, so we don't even need to go there. But yeah, the mental health claim, I'm no expert, but when you hear just the details of that part of it, I mean, what do I know? But I have a hard time believing that that has anything to do with why this person is a violent criminal. But again, just just just my thoughts, can't prove that by any means. But anyways, it is seventeen here Kentucky and this morning news coffee and company with you here on news Radio eight forty Whas. I know a lot of you listening are parents, some of you are grandparents, and I am sure you've had an issue over the years with one of your kids, maybe because they were being a knucklehead, or maybe it was a complete accident that has led to you having to come out of your pocket for some money. And I'm sure it's gonna happen to me at some point, but it has yet to happen just yet. But the guy started a Reddit thread that really led to this thing exploding and people sharing their different stories. But his young son apparently dropped rocks into an open sewer clean out, filling it completely. The fix he had to hire an excavator to dig up the line.
Speaker 2: Well he didn't, but I.
Speaker 1: Guess the city wherever he lives did whoever did, and that bill ended up going to the dad of the of the sun here and it was seventy eight hundred dollars. I can't imagine having an unexpected seventeen hundred dollars expense for something.
Speaker 2: Quite like that.
Speaker 1: But others have said five thousand dollars for a toddler's dental work after being bribed with candy. I mean, that's I don't know if you can blame it specifically on that, but here's a good one. Oh wow, this is I thought it said twelve thousand, one hundred and twenty thousand dollars in water damage when a four year old left a bathroom faucet running for forty five minutes while the family was out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could be. It could be tough.
Speaker 1: A seven hundred dollar bill to replace a car bumper sensor because a kid thought they were buttons. That that's that, to me is way more realistic than any of the others that I've that I've heard so far. A car bumper sensor, I don't even know where those are located. But I could see a kid not realizing that if they keep messing with it that it might damage it. And I could also see that being something that costs close to seven hundred dollars to one thousand dollars, not something you know, crazy crazy expensive. This is fifteen thousand dollars after a child totaled the family van. Yeah, that'd be expensive. And I don't know if you're this This one depends more on like the situation. If it's a young kid who ends up realizing that the keys in the vehicle and he gets in and just you know, clearly doing something that he shouldn't do. But you can still chalk it up to like a young kid literally not really knowing what they're doing and not knowing better, you would probably be more I mean, you would hate the expense, of course, but you're probably more scared and relieved that it wasn't worse. But if it's like a teenager that just you know, went out and destroyed the family van, I mean that that happens still not good thing. Yeah, there's now been two different stories about kids leaving water on that left to either a collapsing ceiling or just water damage that is super substantial within a house. Oh, this one another one that I could see happening. Maybe it's happened to you fifteen thousand dollars for sewage clean up after flushing wet wipes clogged in the main line, thinking that wet wipes were the same thing as you know, toilet paper. Let's see, oh this one I did this. Oh my god, I'm having some I'm having some PTSD here because I don't think I've ever been more. I don't think I've ever felt like I disappointed my mother more than whenever she got a phone bill whenever I was a teenager, because at that time, text messages weren't free, minutes weren't free, ring tone downloads weren't free, and I don't believe the bill ever got to four thousand dollars. But I just remember, that's like the worst I've ever felt as far as just doing something that completely screwed my mom over and I had no way to fix it out. It was I was like fifteen, and yeah, that was bad. So I guess that's mine as a kid myself. But my kids have yet to put me in that position, but I'm sure i'll be there one day. And again, this is a great opportunity to utilize the talkback feature if you've got a story like that with your child, that has maybe just innocently made a mistake, and yet it's cost you a lot of money. I'd love to hear it again. Talk by feature on the Aheart radio app. Just clicked that microphone button and it's that easy, all right, Traffic of weather updates coming up here right now. We've got also another sports update coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John. I'm still finding my footing here, obviously, still the new guy on news radio eight forty whas. And there's certain things that remind me of that, and I guess it's just my appreciation for sarcasm. I could be a smart ass. But when I hear a story presented that a judge says that the decision to let armand Franklin out on shock probation was a mistake, I was waiting for somebody to confirm that, as if it wasn't quite clear that it was a mistake that this person who should not have been let out on shock probation was and then of course continued to show that they're a violent criminal. But anyhow, it is in fact the fact, So I guess that's why it's presented. But when it comes to that, I'm glad that the this is good news, but I was worried that there would be some level of noise surrounding this situation, almost like well, okay, well now that the news. I think it's keep Kentucky safe, now that that bill's passed. And of course, had his attorney tried to get him shock probation now it wouldn't be possible because he'd have he would have had to have served eighty five percent of that fourteen year sentence. That is encouraging to know that moving forward, this became an issue to a point that they had to make a change, which they did.
Speaker 2: That's good. But if I was the.
Speaker 1: Victim here the family, I mean, it's the last thing I would want to hear. I would want to I would want somebody to be held accountable for this, and I don't think that's going to happen. But I mean, imagine this judge being presented with another situation where they've got to make a tough decision. Look, that's the job, that's what you sign up for. But and look, you're gonna get some wrong, trust me. That's that's It's not like every it's not like every decision a judge makes has to be perfect or they can't do it. But this is this is one that is just an example of being unfit. Really, I mean, that's just that's just what it is. And the mental health component has been has been mentioned when it comes to armand Langford and and just that being a factor in how he was able to get out. But I mean, if you look at I mean, here, here are the details about him for those who really don't know much about him. Specifically, he was sentenced in twenty twenty four for a bunch of ATM robberies and was in prison, did time at the rot Correctional Facility, and was also in Louisville Metro Corrections many times. And he sounds like he was a good inmate there, which I guess that was a factor when the decision was made. But still, I mean that this guy has consistently been a violent criminal and the quick release after he was sentenced to fourteen years, he just can't make any sense of it. I mean, status sets and labeled him a low risk for reoffending. But also he was ineligible for mental health court, which ironically disqualified him from the very structure Judge Green believed he needed. I mean, these are things that, again, all of this was avoidable, and I'm not and I'll probably put the disclaimer on this more than I need to. I'm not making light of any mental health issue or any mental health. Mental health is a real serious thing and it has impacted people's you know, life in an awful way, and it does lead to people doing things that they would never do with their mental state. Was not what it is. But when you hear the attorney for Langford arguing that his clients suffers from paranoia and personality disorders, I got paranoia all the time, I got personality disorders. I'm most the most insecure person you'll ever meet. And again I'm not making fun of it, but though again maybe there's layers to it. I'm not a professional by any means. I'm an idiot when it comes to that kind of stuff. But come on, like, oh, the reason he was putting a gun to people's back at ATMs. He pistol whipped somebody when he robbed them. He's paranoid. I mean, what you're doing paranoid, I'll get you. I mean, it's just insane that this individual was let out of prison, and I don't know what the accountability is going to be for that decision. And again, I know judges will tell you they've made decisions that they later learned were the wrong ones, and that's just how it works. But this is a different level, and it led to an awful traumatic experience for a family that was avoidable. It just was. And I hope they can find healing in some form or fashion, because I can't imagine that that won't be something that sticks with you for the rest of your life. All Right, we'll get to another update of traffic and weather right here on news Radio.
Speaker 2: Eight forty WHAS seven forty six.
Speaker 1: Here he Tucky in his morning news Coffee and Company with you here on news Radio eight forty whas. So I was asking parents earlier if they have any similar stories from this Reddit thread where a dad started a thread that has really taken off as he shared the story of his son. I don't know how old he is, didn't mention that specifically, but his son was I guess, playing with playing with rocks and he ended up filling up a sewer clean out and filled it up all the way, started just dropping rocks in it, and that led to a seventy eight hundred dollars bill for this dad because that needed to be repaired and his son was responsible, and that's just how it works. So I asked others to chime in, and my wife was listening, and she chimed in, reminding me that I was wrong. I said that my kids, being as young as they are, I don't have any similar story. And I do, and it was rather recent. It wasn't to the level of seventy hundred, seventy eight hundred dollars or anything close to that, but it is a very similar story as far as just your kid doing something without even realizing that they are. They are taking money from their parents without knowing it. So my son got a PlayStation four, which, now that he's had it for a while, I do realize, like I knew I already. I've known for a while that he spoiled, but he's too young to really even play that as far as a lot of games without needing help. And I'm glad he has it, and I play with him at times, and I'm sure he'll appreciate having it. I know he appreciates having it. But anyways, I was leaving this place at six o'clock when I was still doing afternoon sports, and all of a sudden, I got like eight emails in a row PlayStation dot com, and each one I clicked on was just a random expense of him clicking buttons on his PlayStation, buying games, buying added characters for games, and I think he ended up being like a three hundred and thirty something dollar expense, which was, you know, not good for us. I guess maybe I forgot about it because it was such a clear, innocent thing that he had no clue what he was doing, and it was my fault, like I didn't set it up where he couldn't do that, which is a real dumb move on my part, one of many that I that I've made. But yeah, I have since disabled the ability for him to purchase anything without having me do it. But yeah, that was that was a big goof, And yeah, I mean that that that's kind of uh. Although I can't I knew that text messages and what not weren't free whenever I was a teenager, and I was I never really would think like, oh, this is gonna be an expensive bill, But like I just I just I guess lied to myself, Oh, won't be that bad, It'll be fine. And then my mother got the phone bill and man, again I said it earlier. I'm not sure if she's if I've ever felt more disappointment from my mom. And it was bad, and you know, thankfully the family recovered. But yeah, looking back now that I'm older and I have kids of my own, that's a real scumback thing to do. It just starts, you know, back then, text messages weren't free, minutes weren't.
Speaker 2: Free, there was roaming.
Speaker 1: Uh, you had bring tone downloads and all that stuff, and it adds up. So I'm sorry, Mom, I I know that was That was not wise on my part and it was inconsiderate. And I can't give you the excuse that my son has. He didn't know what he was doing. He's just clicking buttons. So anyhow, all right, So, right now, when it comes to the real estate market, I'm sure a lot of you out there have hit pause when it comes to either buying a home, maybe being a first time home buyer, or maybe selling your home just because of the market. And I get it, because the economic shifts right now are all over the place. There's a lot of uncertainty, and that makes sense for you to be hesitant, But I'm telling you don't have to be because if you were someone that just believes that you know, nobody would buy your home, that's not true. And if you're somebody that believes, well, it's just a terrible time to buy, you could be wrong. And there's nobody to help you with that process and explain things to you better than my friend Bob Skoler of the Scholar team at Remacs Properties East. I mean, if you're looking to buy, you could actually consider this a great time to be honest. In a market like this, you could find your with more negotiating power, facing far less competition than you're typically going to see. And if you want to sell, you just want to make sure that your home is priced right for faster results. There are people looking to buy homes. You just got to find the right buyer, and Bob Sikohler can help you do exactly that. He'll even come to your house free charge an obligation walk through, give you honest feedback about what matters and what doesn't. He'll help you understand what your home is truly worth in today's market, and it's probably worth a lot because again the market. So don't let the scares of just the coverage of the of the current real estate market keep you from taking advantage of a real, big time payday with your home and the value that it has, because again people are looking to buy homes. You just got to find the right You gotta find the right companion, right You got to find the right buyer, You got to find the right seller depending on which situation that you're in, and Bob Sicoler and his team can help you do exactly that. You can actually get a baseline estimate right now at we sell Louisville dot com. That's we sell Louisville dot com. That'll give you again the baseline estimate of your home as far as what it's worth right now. Or you can get Bob a call directly five O two three seven six live. That's five O two three seven six five four eight three. Again it is Bob Sicola and the Ciccolo team at remaxs Properties East