Speaker 1: For thirty five years, Cindy Stumpo has been a female home builder with a passion for design, a mastery of detail, and a commitment to her crack. With daughter Samantha Stumpo by her side, I don't need my.
Speaker 2: Whole family on a date with me.
Speaker 3: That's a good note. It's goddemn weird. See.
Speaker 1: Stumpo Development is the only second generation female construction company in the country.
Speaker 4: You're crazy, You're a wacko, You're insane.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just doesn't end together. Cindy and Samantha welcome guests to explore the world of construction, real estate, development, design and more.
Speaker 5: Unpredictable.
Speaker 6: Every time I think I know what you want, you'd switch it out.
Speaker 3: But that's what makes your houses all your day.
Speaker 1: Discuss anything that happens between the roof and the foundation. Nothing is off limits.
Speaker 6: You truly do care about everybody.
Speaker 1: Che can yell at chicken scream, But when you get her alone, she's the best person on the planet. Cindy Stumpo is tough as nails.
Speaker 3: And welcome to Cindy Stubbo Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty and tonight. Okay, go ahead, start.
Speaker 7: Introducing Jeff dd game on sports.
Speaker 3: Game on Sportshead, how are you?
Speaker 8: And environmental pools?
Speaker 3: That's my baby, and who's over there on the screen enjoying his life right now?
Speaker 5: And Tammy Lewis from Rouba Shaded Spaces Outdoor purgo is.
Speaker 3: By structure you gonna You're gonna give me a personality on him? Is that how you No, He's gonna be personality when he comes out there. I'm telling you, I'll do the speaking for you. So Danny built my purgola. I had a choice between Danny and another guy?
Speaker 9: Was it?
Speaker 2: What'd you call it?
Speaker 3: What do you want me to call it? What do you call it?
Speaker 10: Yea?
Speaker 3: So what I say, want Sammy pergola? It's pergola. Okay, I'll change it to pergola. So I how I met Danny was I met one guy and then you just knew like he was just blowing such smoke up my behind. Right, I had never built one, So I'm like, ok right, So I said, I'm not I can't use this guy, and I got Danny's number. Danny came right out construction boots jeans the way like guy to come out on a job site right the way we all dress, not mister you know don Juan with his fancy shoes on the job site. That doesn't work for mem at old Timer and Danny's like, I got this inning, it's not gonna be a problem. This is what we're gonna do. But bah bah, And in five minutes I decided I'm gonna walk away from Danny and just trust what he did. And I did, and I trusted what he did. I took him at face value. He did a great job. Andy did, and Andy, I don't know. Andy. It took me, Like you have to remember, we started back in eighty eight, eighty nine. We started with pools, then came ninety and then for twenty something years of my career, nobody wanted pools. And that's the crazy part. It was always because double income people, they're afraid to leave home, go to work and the kids, and the Pamel Andison Tommy Lee thing came out. It just kept causing more people not to want to put pools right. So then I had to step back in through COVID, and now everybody wanted pools. I used six different pool guys. I'm literally putting on Instagram, literally sitting all over them. Yeah, right, you saw it. You watch my Instagram right, and Andy's watching my Instagram. You think he'd come in and say, Cindy, I'll take over the pool thing. And somehow that didn't happen that way. Somebody gave me Andy's number. I called and I looked him up. He's followed me on Instagram. I'm like, buddy, you see him suffering out here. Pool guys, why don't you get in touch with me? Yeah? I don't. I don't do that. Well, why don't you do that? So I start with Andy? And it was like a when you've gone with guys that have like driven you to your dropped you to your knees, and I mean drop you to your knees. Then Andy comes in and he wacks the pool and he puts it in pupp a box or smooth. I'm like, this is how it used to be thirty six years ago. So Andy's my pool guy go to And I wouldn't anybody calls me for a pool. You're doing one around the corner from my house right now on cutler yep. Right, And they love you, they let everybody I talk to loves Andy. But you're gonna get to a point Andy, you get tired too. Oh yeah, all right, you're still young.
Speaker 9: How old you thirty six?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're a baby at thirty six, I was full of pissing or two. Then you're gonna get to a point when you're another ten years where you go a guy geez, Because here's gonna be the problem. The average contractor is fifty years old. And in the United States of America, look at the age around you, right, how old are you up there? Yeah? And how old you lay?
Speaker 5: Sixty?
Speaker 3: Okay, he's sixty. I'm fifty nine turning sixty.
Speaker 7: How old are you forty seven?
Speaker 3: Okay, you're the baby in the group.
Speaker 8: So you got me and Sammy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you guys got to get good guys to work for you and with you, And therein lies the problem, and it's only gonna get worse. So we're gonna somehow make it get better. Right, because your name is only going to be as good is the is the team that you put together for all of us. So if this company, Sammy decides to take this company over, she needs good help. She's never gonna let me because I will. No, I said, I I will. We just got to train up good guys. That's the problem. I agree, So Andy gets Andy has made my life so much easier with pools. For sure. If somebody says they want to pull now, I don't care, go to call Andy. Here's bye bye. He's dealing with the client of mine in Weston right now. Who else you deal with right now? One on Cabot, Yeah, Cabot Weston.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those two right now?
Speaker 3: Primarily okay, and then you'll probably have one more on Woodland and then we'll see where it goes from there. But he's my he's my contact guy, and you go ahead, tell her what you're doing.
Speaker 7: So we build a lot of backyard basketball.
Speaker 3: What's your name, Jeff, I'm playing with you, Jeff, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we do a lot of basketball court.
Speaker 3: I know you, Jeff. I just want to, okay, in case you forget.
Speaker 4: And when we started the business, it was to build ice rinks, yep, you know, when Skippy and I started it. That was twenty one years ago. And then we got into and.
Speaker 3: I ended up building Jerome's skating rink with you in Brookline, which which is the hottest thing I ever did. I didn't know how to build an ice skating rink for a professional Bruins player, and then we had to build an outdoor indoor. I mean, so we had an outdoor and then we had an indoor.
Speaker 7: Yep, yep.
Speaker 4: So we do several of those a year. They've refrigerated ones. We do a lot of natural.
Speaker 3: Makes a lot of noise. No the neighbors get very upset behind them, right.
Speaker 4: We've gotten pretty good at shield in them. So you know, we still do a lot of basketball courts, tennis courts, playing greens. It's all residential.
Speaker 3: You just left a job of mine, didn't you like last week?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeph over in sears yep.
Speaker 3: So you know you work for our professional sports players, as you know, many live in my homes and you work for every day Josh.
Speaker 7: Moo's right, yep, love them both.
Speaker 3: And how busy are you guys out there and you're doing the sports court for us, You'll be doing on You'll be working with him on cabin for the sports court. So my point is how much since COVID has changed all of your lives.
Speaker 4: It's been significant. Everybody wants to have their kids in their own ard and be the kool Aid mom sort of house where they have everybody over, and these give them the opportunity to do it right.
Speaker 8: And you too, Yeah, I'd say the same.
Speaker 3: So if you go to twenty nineteen to now, or even go from twenty nineteen to twenty one twenty two, how much did your business jump?
Speaker 8: We're right around twenty five percent.
Speaker 3: Have an increase? What about you?
Speaker 9: Jeff? Probably double and you Dan.
Speaker 5: We've been doubling probably every every year.
Speaker 3: Every year.
Speaker 5: This is increasing, almost doubling every year.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna be honest, this is not pulling back. Guys. We're out of COVID, but we've all we're out of COVID, but I think we're out of COVID. I don't know the next thing that's going to hit us, but whatever the point is, I think people have now changed their ways of doing things. I think there's a certain generation that they want their kids like the parents are having dinner and the kids are coming over, and they're not running out. You know, they've already done that. They run around Boston at their twenties and their thirties. Now they want to like be home, be watching the kids, have other parents from there. You know, look at that age, now you start to make friends with your kids' parents, you know, what I mean. So it's kind of like becomes a big schmuger's boars, I say, and everybody's like kind of friendly. But parents don't run away from their kids anymore the way my parents did. Right up, say night, leave the kids at home. We're going up to dinner.
Speaker 7: My kids won't go away.
Speaker 3: Our kids don't leave either. They're stuck to us, like can you go, Like I get them on my ankle, go go go right, but yours is here, mine's right here. But she'll tell you. Back in the day, we belong to a country club, so there's no reason for us to have a pool because they were golf and tennis and we had the pool, But then we had the media room and the other things in the house to make the kids want to come to my house. I want kids in my home so I know what my kids are doing. The day that your kids don't want to be in your home is the day you've got to worry about something, right, So let them go out, let them place's, let them go swimming whatever. I'm all for this. I just wish we'd got like an extra ten weeks out of it, right, I'm like, why can't we have like twenty weeks. What's the longest? Actually hold everybody's gonna hold that though, I'm gonna hold my own thought. Let's go off to break. I'm Sinny stumbling listening to Toughest Nails on w we WBZ News Radio ten thirty.
Speaker 1: Sponsored by Floor and Decor, National Lumber and Village.
Speaker 10: Back tin it out of this, please, I was looking for salt and I couldn't repeat.
Speaker 3: I was from it and welcome back Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty. And I'm here with let's go guys, stepping.
Speaker 7: Up, Andy, Jeff, Danny.
Speaker 3: Okay, Danny, what do you do?
Speaker 5: We are a structure outdoor Pergola dealer that covers Massachusetts summer roade I in southern New Hampshire.
Speaker 3: Okay. Andy.
Speaker 8: We build residential and commercial gun night swimming pools across New England.
Speaker 4: Jeff backyard basketball courts, tennis courts, ice rinks, natural and refrigerated.
Speaker 3: And like I said, you just wrap one up for me the other day. We're gonna put over there. We're gonna put it over here. Sometimes you get those confusing clients.
Speaker 7: Right, absolutely takes a while to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Jeez. They you're gonna drive us crazy at times. It's just the way it is. What do you when you andy when you put the pool in, we open up pool. I asked you open my pool earlier because we had a big party at my house. Right, so we opened up my pool probably good three four weeks before you want to what's the latest in Massachusetts? We can keep a pool open till in your opinion, in.
Speaker 8: My opinion or what do we do? I mean, so the norm is we closed September. Yeah, the norm was always Labor Day. The last five six years, people are like October November, and we have a huge amount of clients that'll keep it open all year around now, way more than we ever have.
Speaker 3: Were they doing going cold plunging and they.
Speaker 9: They heat it and they use it.
Speaker 8: And they use it because we haven't had much snow, so there's still finding time to go out there.
Speaker 3: So is there a reason why we have to close our pools down? Any mechanical reason?
Speaker 8: No mechanical reason. As long as you have a generator that's backing up the electronics on the system, you're good to go.
Speaker 3: So then why wouldn't most people keep their pools open?
Speaker 9: Just cost it just costs, Ye, just cost But you.
Speaker 3: Can roll around the snow and then jump at you heat a pool.
Speaker 7: You got salty dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So why we close my pool down?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I don't know. I mean my kids are in it all year round. They love it. The'll wait their time. They're in the hotel, you know, January February.
Speaker 3: So then there's really no reason we just grew up that way that we closed our pools down.
Speaker 8: Correct, But I think a lot of it's changed because the travel and things like that. So you know, we always get asked a question, Hey, can we keep it open all year around? You know, way more than we ever have because everyone as always you know, Memorial Day to Labor Day, that's it. Yeah like that, but I mean Thanksgiving in my mind should be that's everyone should stay open. Closed it in November because it's still the gorgeous out. You could be outside watching football and hanging out by the pool.
Speaker 3: Thousand. So I think you closed me up later this year. Yeah, I know, you opened me up, but that sounds very sexual. You opened up the pool earlier and then you closed it later.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 3: Well we're going to do that again this year. So that's advice to people that are listening. If you have pools, you don't have to open and close Memorial Labor Day. You can keep it open longer.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 3: Okay, Danny, where you moving in the direction residential or more of the restaurants now.
Speaker 5: I mean residential. I mean residential was like ninety percent of our business ninety five percent. Now it's transitioning since COVID where people are using their out till with dining year round. So we're doing restaurants putting the putting structures up, the pergolas, adding heaters and sides to them.
Speaker 3: Like me using the space. I got shades that coming down. Now I get heating there. So people that are listening, every one of these guys that are in the studio, I use Danny, you've done about three four homes already for me in a short period of time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right, so.
Speaker 3: You all have just probably.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the big thing with restaurants is they don't.
Speaker 3: My point is, whoever you're listening to right now, hold on for a second. I want people to understand. I don't bring people on my shows that I've never done business with. So I want people to understand if they're looking for any of you three that I could co sign for every one of you guys, because I work with you guys all the time, so that's important to me. That's why I made you zoom in from wherever you are. Where are you right now? You have a good time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: Is that your lovely wife next to you? It is nice to meet you, hear me. Okay, I just want people to know that because I don't I don't support people that own do business with. So go ahead and finish. Did you lose a chance?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: In that case, it was you know, restaurants that had potties and wedding receptions out on decked areas, and you know, they see the weather forecast it's going to rain. What do they do with these people? Now? They don't have the ability to bring them inside the restaurant, They don't have the capacity to see them. So now you know, one guy was telling me he had you know, he used to lay in bed staring at the ceiling sleepless nights, seeing that the rain forecast was one hundred percent for the following day. Now we put the pargoler out there, put the heat is out there, put the sides on it, he said. People come in and request to sit out there to eat dinner. Brings the sides down.
Speaker 3: He's got an ocean view. Four weeks ago we had people here, Ray had Cigar's going out there. They were drinking Scotch out there, not in the house, right, thank god. And they got the heat is going, we got the lights going. It's really cool. It really is cool. It's worth the money.
Speaker 5: Another livings Yeah, it's another living spot.
Speaker 3: And then when you want to do.
Speaker 5: His return on investment. His return on investment he told me, was six months with all those options. I mean, you know the clear side to the heaters, and it was a good sized unit. He's turning his tables over and over and over where people can sit out there, like I said, twelve months a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it works, okay, okay, so we know where your trends are, all right. And he gave me the trends now for new pools because I want the dancing ladies now, I want the water I should have did at the beginning and I didn't. Can I still add the water that goes above into like or I can't have that now?
Speaker 9: You can have anything on it just costs money.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Everything works just custom.
Speaker 8: I mean, we still see a ton of a huge trends. Still infinity edge pools.
Speaker 9: Well that's my pool at least we did.
Speaker 3: Come on, mine's beautiful, so over that black Ryan in it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we still see a huge.
Speaker 3: Never use black gan around the pool again.
Speaker 8: Nice and warm.
Speaker 3: You're putting your feet through when you go up. Yeah we didn't pick that out. I did. And then when you sit inside the pool you fry your butt off like it looks really beautiful only with seventy five degrees.
Speaker 8: No infinity edge pools, I think is probably the biggest thing we see right now. Everyone wants one.
Speaker 3: And then what about like, you know my backyard, all that led lighting, all that I.
Speaker 8: Love, lighting, the music, my music, A lot of turf. A lot of these projects more and more getting turf in their backyard.
Speaker 3: You know that's funny, just say that because my guy just put turf down behind his pergla because it was just getting the grass getting killed there.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 8: So you see a lot of ton of artificial turf. Yeah, really like the whole backyard, the.
Speaker 3: Whole backyard, I know, but I like, I like when You'ready comes by and dadis they make my it looks like a checkerboard in my backyard.
Speaker 9: That still turns me on.
Speaker 3: What do you ever tell you? So the new things up and coming with pools.
Speaker 8: Are so around the pool that say, infinity, edge pools, hot tubs. Obviously a lot of porcelains being introduced around swimming pools, a lot.
Speaker 3: I see that. But we used all we used all sam blasted.
Speaker 9: Correct what I used, Marbel whatever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we used porcelain exactly. Yeah, I mean, and there's just automation, a lot of automation still going into these pools to be able to really mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well that's great because when I can't turn something on, I literally I will text I will text him at twelve ten o'clock in that on a Friday night, Dude, I can't get the okase, Cindy, I'll get it going for you. It's nothing to do with him, it's me. I'm a techno like idiot.
Speaker 8: No, but it works well. Being able to manage.
Speaker 9: That and see that from your place, yeah.
Speaker 8: Because then you can, you know, then you can facilitate the guys in the path that they need to go to the job to service that knowing what's going on.
Speaker 3: Very true. But you did many times you said, I got it turned on for you. Okay, let me know what's coming over. Okay, the waves are coming over. We're good, the ones coming right over. So sometimes it's me okay, now you tell me what's going on. What's new in your industry? For sports courts, it's pickleball ian to say that.
Speaker 4: And now that the temperatures are getting warmer, the refrigerated ice rinks are are becoming more and more popular.
Speaker 3: Now here. Here's the thing. My client that bought Sammy, your client that bought your home. So yep, she said they didn't even really run it this year because it was so warm the winter. I don't know. I was in Florida working.
Speaker 7: But they possibly didn't even turn it on.
Speaker 3: I think she turns on much less, Sammy. I think they're using it more with their role escapes.
Speaker 2: Well, I would think so, yes, definitely.
Speaker 4: When when someone when a court which becomes a refrigerated rink, if it's you know, set up that way. When a court is it doesn't have the refrigerated rink, people want to really set them up, set the natural rinks up as late as possible, take them down as soon as possible. That way they can use the court as long as possible, when it's refrigerated.
Speaker 7: It's basically a safe thing.
Speaker 4: Is Christmas to March first, You're pretty safe as far as being able to maintain.
Speaker 7: Good solid ice out there every single day.
Speaker 3: You would think, like if I had a skating rink out there again, Jerome I pronounced Jerome's last name gin again. I mean, but all his kids played hockey, even his daughter, right, they played for Dexter, and but he used that all the time. Another very good man. You're sticking that thing in front of my face. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, I'm going. I'm going every hole that I thought we're going to break. This is the city. Stumble Tough his Nails on WB's News Radio ten thirty would be.
Speaker 1: Right back, sponsored by Pillow Windows of Boston, Next Day Molding and Kennedy carp.
Speaker 6: Caw could you see? How could it be known? It happened?
Speaker 3: And welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty. And I'm here with Sammy, I'm here with Danny hold On, I'm here with Andy, and I'm here with Jeff. Okay, we know were pools are going. I think sports courts is the like you said that pickle thing is, yeah, pickleball, okay, but is that the same as tennis? Like, no, I know it's not the same as tennis now, but can you use the same now, all right, Jesus, give me a break.
Speaker 7: The surface if that's where you're going with it. But can I put a call completely different so I.
Speaker 3: Can never play tennis on this, Yes you can. Yes, I can see Sammy, you think you know it all over again that.
Speaker 2: You asked about the paddle.
Speaker 3: No, I never said the word question I ever say the word paddle.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 3: You are lying right to your teens, so you just got bagged. So did I ever say the word paddle?
Speaker 7: You definitely did not.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I'm gonna have him walk around me. These kids saying things that I never say. They want to make me think I'm crazy. I think they want to lock me up and then take all my money and like stick your way in a home somewhere anyways, so that it can be used for tennis. And it can.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's new. There's new.
Speaker 4: We use tiles. That's the plane surface. That's like the term spot court. Yeah, that's kind of a common name. We use a different tile, but it's that same concept.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's kind of like we you did thevecious exactly? So we met. How many years ago we built the house for years? Sammy?
Speaker 2: Twenty thirteen, fourteen?
Speaker 3: No really, no, it was early early, you know. Same. You can't gathing right tonight.
Speaker 2: That's when he bought his house.
Speaker 3: He bought that long between twelve thirteen.
Speaker 2: I will tell you, I'll prove you wrong right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, you do that. We want to hear you do that. You stay in the background, you prove us wrong. So that's how many years do.
Speaker 2: Ten?
Speaker 7: Ten, twelve?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 7: Longer?
Speaker 3: So now the question is you three now know each other, and you three should be pushing each other work right, because I'm telling you all three guys are good like no one is.
Speaker 7: We're working for the same clientele.
Speaker 3: And you're working for the same clientele, and.
Speaker 7: More importantly, we filter out the people we don't want to work exactly.
Speaker 3: Isn't that great when you get to a certain age where you don't have to work for something?
Speaker 7: I got that was ten years ago. I passed that threshold me too. I tell people know all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah I did too.
Speaker 12: Would you like to know when he purchased his property, please, Samantha. June twelve, twenty fifteen, fifteen.
Speaker 3: Wow was that closing date? Sam?
Speaker 2: Yes, Mom, that's clothes Day.
Speaker 3: That's how when we started at his house.
Speaker 2: We started in fourteen.
Speaker 3: No, Sammy back then was thirteen. Probably pulled uper.
Speaker 12: That is when you bought the land and divided it and built them in stages. Okay, I know because I got paid on this nine ten years. Okay, nine ten years because you did that. You came in right away and did them, and I took beautiful Do you just love videos of that?
Speaker 7: I think we do.
Speaker 2: I have that photo in our drop box really.
Speaker 3: Because I lost most of mine because I was a genius that had gone a plane one night. I said, oh, let me just sit here and put everything in folders and delete off my main page. Right, thousands of pictures. I didn't know when you deleted off your main page was coming out of the folder. Well, learn that really fast, right, that's right, and you know I am. I'm thinking I'm a genius. Right, let me organize all my pictures. So I lost all those beautiful pictures.
Speaker 9: I need that.
Speaker 3: I need those pictures from you because that was amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was one of one of the one of the nicer color combinations too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that baby blue and exactly ye beautiful. It was awesome. And then what about lights, guys, Now, is there a code on lights because we're having some problem with neighbors of lights. Now there's light noise control.
Speaker 7: There's codes different per town, but it's it's all based on mainly spillage, which I'm sure you have to deal with all the time.
Speaker 4: As far as how much light can be seen from the neighbors as long as it's permitted and then there's no issues. You know, we permit him ahead of time, so you're not chasing problems later.
Speaker 3: See. I think that was a great deal because Davesh put the sports code in mos put the indoor pool in Tala down below has got the outdoor pool and all three live there, right so the kids would play sports over de beshas now they go the into a pool you know the last three years and which means that we put that extension on and Tyler's got to a pool like they have their own country club.
Speaker 7: That's they got a good they get a good spot.
Speaker 3: So do you find that parents are doing this because it just brings the kids over for everything.
Speaker 7: Definitely, definitely yeah for our end for sure.
Speaker 3: And you want your young father, right, how old your kids?
Speaker 8: I have a six year old, four year old and a two year old.
Speaker 9: Oh Jesus Jesus is right.
Speaker 3: I hope I'm how old? You know, thirty six?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: She?
Speaker 3: I'm so happy at her at twenty three.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's tiring, tiring. They're exhausted, done, they're just started tiring. You haven't even enter the real world yet, buddy, I don't know.
Speaker 8: How people could do when they're forty. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: I don't know either. I don't even know. I don't even want to be grandparents anymore. Dan, what about you? How old your kids? Guys?
Speaker 5: I got a daughter graduating from Dover Sherb and she and my son's a sophomore at Old Miss in Mississippi.
Speaker 3: Good for him, I've been watching those videos those kids. That's the Harvard of Mississippi, right. What made him go there?
Speaker 5: I'm not really sure he wanted to go down south, so no other reason. I don't think.
Speaker 3: No party school.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's known for being a big party school, so that's.
Speaker 3: Probably something to Oh, that's a good one because I hear that's like the Harvard of my am. I right, the Harvard of Mississippi.
Speaker 5: Well, his grades reflect how hot it is. I guess so.
Speaker 3: Grades they're good. It doesn't matter. You guys are on the finish line and he's at the beginning. Where are you right now?
Speaker 4: See I get a junior daughter, she's seventeen, fifteen year old son, he's a freshman, just finishing freshman.
Speaker 7: And then at twelve year old son.
Speaker 3: How old jugan forty seven?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 3: He then not ten years over here too? Sorry, buddy, you're getting a life right, Oh my god, if we only But the point is that all these three men bring home something that it just it all works. And I'm using every one of your products, so I can't I can't knock get right. I'm using it. And if there's a problem, you guys come rund and fix it like I never. It's it's the you want your work, you stand behind your work. Oh, by the way, that's a big one today because you don't get a tail light warranty and people go, oh ciddy, what's a tail light warranty? When you don't see my tail light? The warranty's over it, right, So none of you guys do that, which is great. And in him over there, he's in a room wherever he is. I owe him money, like he needs to come to the office to pick up money. But he hasn't even tortured me.
Speaker 7: We don't even advertise. We haven't advertised, and I've pretty much ever.
Speaker 3: I've never advertised the day in my life.
Speaker 9: No no reason to wait.
Speaker 7: Sometimes when you advertise, you get people you don't want to work for.
Speaker 3: Here's what I say. If you I'm very old fashioned. I've been in business for thirty six years.
Speaker 2: The best form what thirty seven?
Speaker 3: I'm staying on thirty six Leave me alone, Sammy thirty seven? Okay, thirty six years. I've been in business because I'm fifty nine. Still torture that can pay back for this morning? Can I throw pens at it?
Speaker 9: Right now?
Speaker 3: I can't read it, but I don't care. Where we are in generations, Believe me, people, the best form of advertising will always be word of mouth. You can take out advertising ads here, there, everywhere. When missus Jones and mister Goldber and missus Smith and is saying you're the guy, then you're the guy, period. And the story I'll take that all day long, then spend the money on advertising word of mouth. You do right by your clients, They're going to refer your clients.
Speaker 7: We have neighborhoods with four courts. You can see them from each other.
Speaker 3: Amazing, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I'm sure you have the same with pools.
Speaker 3: And the other big thing is I don't know if you're doing it. I did it for Rossi and a few others when Sammy what's her name, when she came in for her husband's throat, Come on, ce Celine Dion, I had to call a playground place to set up, like the most amazing playground that I still have him in my rolodex too, right, I call it roldecks. But one rein no no when when she wented Eddie's house. But the one that Rossi has is from the place I may that's actually from part of it's from the baseball player that lived on Yam Right.
Speaker 2: But the company, the main company is Adam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this guy came out the one I have in my phone. But you don't do that, right, You don't do the playground playground.
Speaker 7: So that's just its own niche of tends to be its own thing, and that.
Speaker 3: Lasts like four or five six years, and then that goes out the door. I think the kids get older and they don't want the playground anymore.
Speaker 7: Spend on how many kids you have, probably, but some.
Speaker 3: People spend a lot of money on that. That's true. Yeah, they are expensive. Asked actually justin Dana use them Sammy. Yes they did, and they want to keep that over there because they still have one younger one. Yes, but now she wants to sports court.
Speaker 4: They're putting a massive one in over at Sears Road. It's going to take up half the yard.
Speaker 3: My clients, Wait, you say, we get coming on the other side of is Road. I'm going to be booked for the next four years with these two. We're not we're building. I don't know what you want to call that one over there, but crazy, you know what that is. But you know what, here's we have to say. There's not one of my clients that is generational money. My clients have all worked hard to have what they have. So it's not like, oh, you know, mommy and Daddy left their money and Grandpa and grandma left the money. Nope, they've all worked really hard, these guys, and there and they're thoughtful guys because they have worked for what they have.
Speaker 4: I've never gotten a check that wasn't from the client I was working for, see parents, grandparents, nothing.
Speaker 3: Ever, So these guys, they're self made, and when they're self made, they usually better people. How's that's that's my take on it. All that thought we're going to break I Sindny Stumbley and listen a w Z News Radio ten thirty will be right back.
Speaker 1: Spongor by Newbrook Realty Group, Boston Wood Smaller Insurance, World Auto Body and Tasca Drive Auto Body.
Speaker 3: And welcome back to Tumpest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty. And I'm Cindy. I'm here with Sammy, Danny, Andy, Jeff and Tammy. I'm not gonna leave her out this time, okay, because she's zooming in with you.
Speaker 2: I'm so impressed that you remembered everyone's name.
Speaker 3: You know, Sammy, I must be in testosteron right now.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that would explain a lot of things today. That would explain so much. I'm on ten to's, I'm coming after everybody in texting this money. No, I wasn't even on testaone. It was just time for mommy to pull a mommy move ocake.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it was real.
Speaker 3: Seriously, do you have enough sometimes with the kids that who does the discipline your family? You or Danny?
Speaker 5: She has She has four kids. I have two kids and she has four grandkids. My kids are all up and out.
Speaker 3: So is that a pleasure? It's flying so low?
Speaker 5: Child on the way?
Speaker 3: Okay, But in your day, weren't you the bad guy? Honestly, I think I was the softy.
Speaker 11: Really yeah, I was the probably came now and maybe later as they've got in teenage years. I definitely I had no patience, okay, and then when I got to the fourth kid, I was done.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's it. Okay, Now I feel about much better much.
Speaker 11: She just did whatever she wanted because I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you know what, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the baby gets away with everything. But everything all a mother wants to do is very simple. We want to hand our grown men sons over a nice woman. Say, okay, I'm giving you a gentleman. He's going to be a good guy, a good father, good husband, a gentleman. Not a gentleman, just a gentleman. And want my daughter to be a good wife and a good mom. Is that really a lot to ask if? As a mom? I really don't think it is? All right, we'll get off the mom thing. But the mom thinks on the whipping, it's everybody.
Speaker 9: It's just one of those.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't just only me.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, ever, it's beginning it. You were just the third one. My next question is at least I can take it? Yes, you can.
Speaker 11: We try and spare our daughters from going through some of the stuff we've gone through, but that most of the time they don't listen.
Speaker 3: But no, later they say, how you were right? Yeah, that I'll get all that when I'm dead. They'll see what they have. Now we'll pull the Jewish guilt ship. That's the Jewish stuff now right, and pull my mother. Okay, you'll know what you have you're turning into. You'll know what you have to you don't have it anymore. Okay, So let me ask you gentlemen this question. Okay, because you are good guys, what do you see coming for future? If you had to think about it? Like okay, all right, I'll start with you. You see how many indoor pools we've done now right, I've seen it, Okay? Is that the future into a pool as you think more? Or is there a way to do a pool without having to spend all that money for the structure. Put it into a pool, get with Dean and somehow close it in some sort without having to spend crazy money. Is anybody thinking in that direction? I mean, you are sports court to be used in Boston twelve months out of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeap urs have always been so you can tent these things out ours don't typically need to be indoors.
Speaker 3: No, No, you're outdoors right right, But there's two feet of snow. My kid wants to go play. Is there a way? Is there any technology today with the type of pergolas but even other things to cover it up? Say the person can't afford a million dollar structure to put the pool in. It's what I'm saying. Is there anything coming out with any trends or everything? He has just to Florida and like everybody's got warm weather.
Speaker 8: No, I mean we see a lot more indoor pools now, but the pergola side over the pool I haven't seen, just because of dehumification and what it needs.
Speaker 3: But when I say, it doesn't necessarily have to be the pergola pergula, but something nothing's coming down the road for.
Speaker 9: Any trends for that to cover it.
Speaker 8: Over the winter time.
Speaker 3: I remember to go skiing as a kid at Watervo Valley. They had this plastic thing. I'd swim underneath it. I'd be outside, they swimming outside, and then and then come back in.
Speaker 8: And be Yeah, it's like a glass almost like a glass bubble. They have something like that. We haven't seen.
Speaker 3: It would like a Florida what a floral and I is like. But I remember up in Watervo Valley that was cool, like we could swim outside, jump out, go in the snow, jump back in, come back in. It was kind of like a half and half right, part of it was enclosed and part of it was open. But I've never seen that since a kid.
Speaker 8: We did that, and you can definitely do that.
Speaker 3: We've done that before and you swim under that thing, right and then you're outside.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 3: So any new trends coming in any of your areas of expertise that you can think of anybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So for us, we're expanding a little bit into you know, custom outdoor high end kitchens as well. So people people looking to put a kitchen outside, they want the paragola, but they don't want to play general contractors, so they want one stop shopping. Can you do the outdoor kitchen? So now we took on a couple outdoor kitchen lines.
Speaker 3: Tell me that before I didn't mind business.
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 3: I'm a building. I don't want to take it on one anymore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we took on dan Reb Brown, Jordans, you know, el Fresco, Brown Iron brands. So we're just getting up and running with that with with what are.
Speaker 3: You doing the metal cabinets out there?
Speaker 5: Day?
Speaker 3: What are you doing the metal cabinets out there? The metal cabinets?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the stainless steel, powder coated cabinets.
Speaker 3: How's that holding up? So now we can get that from you. We don't have to get that to the supply anymore. A lot of our clients are using those. So if you're doing those, you can do inside garages too, right?
Speaker 9: You can't, you can't.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to see what you can, trying to put money in your pocket. Hello, I think one of delay, Danny, Can you do the inside of garages?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, Timmy, it always takes a good woman to answer the questions way women tell you. We need to know that as builders. Do you know what I'm saying? Yes, okay, what do you got going?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Honestly, the thing, the thing that's becoming more and more popular is the refrigerated rings as temperatures are getting warmer.
Speaker 7: What people used to get thirty to sixty days out of.
Speaker 3: A natural Since Sammy knows everything that goes on on our closings, when did your own buy that house?
Speaker 2: Twenty fourteen?
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry, twenty sixteen, okay, pre construction, pre construction eight. So they you guys came right in and did these skating ring How many more have you put in since sixteen because that was that was new. How many skating rinks were you putting in sixteen fifteen?
Speaker 7: Refrigerated ones? Probably a couple dozen.
Speaker 3: Couple dozen a year, Massachusetts, hundreds?
Speaker 7: We do we do?
Speaker 3: When you say natural rinks.
Speaker 7: Like frame liner when it's cold out, you get ice.
Speaker 2: Like we like we did for Chad.
Speaker 3: No, we okay, I don't know what we did for Chad, but I don't remember, but we did.
Speaker 2: It was on heath Hill.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true. But Jeff and I did a indoor one with which was all like it was into us, so they could roller skate in there, whatever, rollerblade, play hockey, and then the outside was ice. Yes, so but you're doing a lot more skating rinks, a lot more of the refrigerator. You need a lot we had. We built a big one there, so.
Speaker 2: No, I was right under agreement twenty sixteen, bought twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Sammy, she's the walking on my closes things on. It was that having that long time ago. Yeah, it really was.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: So that's gaining momentum and.
Speaker 7: We're not getting the cold and we used to.
Speaker 4: So the refrigeration has become much more popular really. Yeah, you can any any temperatures below fifty you're guaranteed to have ice.
Speaker 3: And then in the summertime, the same client would turn into a basketball court in the whole nine yards.
Speaker 4: Some people will will do full hockey boards around them, glass or netting, and some people will leave that up year round and use it like roller hockey, and some people take the whole system down and it's just a court for the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this stays all up. The way was built with the circle and the whole nine yards and they just take out. I noticed I was there yesterday. They take out. There's the goalie stand in front of you.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 3: Know I only experience and it's all well, yeah, it's all basketball now. So outdoor living is becoming the biggest thing. It is As a builder, everybody wants outdoor living.
Speaker 7: They do with rinks.
Speaker 4: It used to be ponds. People used to go to go down to the pond and when it was frozen enough, they would use them. Now that we're just building them in people's backyards.
Speaker 3: Now, I have a question for all you guys. So the heaters we put in d Any and my Pergla work perfectly. Those stupid heaters that I bought for outside the costs for like seven fifty apiece. Those things don't heat you.
Speaker 8: The ones that stand up on the deck, Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 3: Waste the money.
Speaker 7: They blow over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it doesn't blow over. It's just I'm not I'm not gaining anything from it.
Speaker 7: I've never seen one that didn't have a dent in the side of it from blowing over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have lost, but those I have to bewitch and get heat.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting right next with the other night, right, like literally, it's going up your head. So why's they been buying that?
Speaker 9: Why am I?
Speaker 3: I don't even I'm gonna return mine. They're not doing anything. They're terrible. Does anybody have an idea of any good ones? Or they're just all the same. Okay, that's exact question intect. Okay, so then we know, stop buying those people because I have nine of them and none of them keeping us warm out there. Okay, we've tried it. Yeah, okay, that's trumpet things either And I actually bought kind of pretty ones and it's still let whatever, it doesn't work anyways. This is city Stumpo and listen Toughest Nails on WBZ New Radio ten thirty. And I won't be giving a sponsorship from any.
Speaker 9: Of those guys.
Speaker 6: In the same old.
Speaker 3: And welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty. Bad guys, Danny. Let people know how they can reach if they want particle par Thank you, Sammy.
Speaker 11: Shaded Spaces. You can reach us at five zero eight five zero nine seven seven one three. Shaded dash spaces dot com is our website. You can follow a form and send us all your contact We'll get back here as soon as possible.
Speaker 9: Andy and the Environmental Pools.
Speaker 8: You can reach us at Environmentalpools dot com through our inquiry, or you can call us at nine seven eight two five six zero two zero zero And.
Speaker 4: Jeff, We're game on Sports LLC. It's game on ss dot com. Is the website or seven eight one two six one zero zero eight seven.
Speaker 3: This is Cindy Stumbo tough his nails on WBZ NewsRadio ten thirty