Speaker 1: Tuesday afternoon, nine minutes past the hour two o'clock. I think it's officially the dog days of summer. It's like ninety eight degrees. I am sweating even though I'm in a dark cave of a radio studio. It is very hot outside. But as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the Rud's bench check. It's beyond the Mike Porl Larson behind the glass. We got a jam pack busy Tuesday show for you guys. As NBA free agency continues to roll along, we'll talk about what could be next with the Utah Jazz after moving on from Carlin Sexton and Jordan Clarkson, and we'll give you the up to date news cycle on what's happened since you and I last spoke and said good night last night at six o'clock. It's been a busy forty eight hours in the world of pro basketball, and today is the start free agency in the NHL and the Utah Hockey Club as the excuse me, the Utah Mammoth will get there. They've made some moves. We'll tell you about it, tell you about some of the new players, and keep you up to date on any of the movement around the NHL. Of no, there will not be as much NHL moving as there is in the NBA. It's just the leagues are very different that way. But Bill Armstrong and his staff, Austin Ainge, his staff busy right now working the phones to see what sort of pieces to the puzzle they can put together, or in the Jazz case, puzzle might be complete.
Speaker 2: We might not see anything else from the Jazz. I'll tell you why. We'll get into it. Coming up in just a little bit.
Speaker 1: The latest down a BYU with the Jake Rhetz laugh situation. We've got a good college football guest on the show today, RSL with a weekend clash taken on Saint Louis. The Royals will be taken on Orlando. That's going to be on Friday. So busy week, a couple weeks away from the official start of training camp. In the world of professional football, not a lot of news that way in the NFL is this is kind of the quiet time for both pro and college football. We will be in Dallas, Texas next week for Big twelve Media Day.
Speaker 2: Myself and Sean will have that for you.
Speaker 1: The Great OC We will be doing a couple of straight days of about six or seven hours of radio together.
Speaker 2: It should be fun.
Speaker 1: Kind of the unofficial start of the college football season, so stay tuned. That comes your way coming up next week. So busy Tuesday Show. Good to have you guys with us. We'll start things off today with Kyle Vonna Gurro. Kyle covers college football for ESPN, does a little soccer from time to time, but right now.
Speaker 2: Mostly college football.
Speaker 1: Kyle was one of the ESPN riders who wrote the piece on Jake rhetz Lath that came out with Pete Damil yesterday. So we'll talk about the situation down at BYU, will do some Big twelve football talks from Utah football, some offseason stuff with Kyle Bondagura from ESPN. Right out of the gates, gonna bring in Tim McMahon NBA Daily Assists Style. Several teams in the West making forward facing moves, taking steps in the right direction, namely the Houston Rockets go off Houston, They're getting everybody. Denver made a couple of moves that I like. We'll talk about the Nuggets move. San Antonio making some moves as well. So there are some teams in the West trying to make progress moving forward out east. Quinn Snyders, Atlanta Hawk suddenly might have something to say about the Eastern Conference next year. Milwaukee is very much not acting like a team that's going to trade Janna Sante to Combo, but they did stretch and wave Dame. Lillard will kind of explain that scenario to you. On the surface, optically, it's not a great look for a Hall of Fame player and one of my favorite NBA players of this generation. Utah's very owned Damian Lillard played his college basketball up here.
Speaker 2: But if your Dame, it's actually not bad news.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you why. We'll go over the details what a stretch provision is, what it means for Damian Lillard. Essentially, he's going to get his money and he's going to be able to pick his final destination to finish his career as a pro basketball player. So when you see the headline, you're like, wait, Damian Lillard gets cut, what are you talking about. Well, there could be a scenario at play here where this was a mutual deal.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to Tim McMahon about it. Today.
Speaker 1: He's going to join us. We'll do some jazz with Tim as well. I got Richard Smith. It was part of our draft coverage last week. We'll be live in the studio for an entire hour, and our friend Sarah Todd from the des Red News also stops by. Former University of Utah basketball player gets paid big time cash.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that too.
Speaker 1: Kyle bodeger A, Tim McMahon, Richard Smith, Sarah Todd, me Spens check at all of you, the great listeners. And that guy who once upon a time got dunked on by Damian Lillard. He Now when you see the headline, you just go, wait a second, Yeah, that's wild. But ultimately, when you dig into it, this is not. At the end of the day, it will not be bad news for Dame.
Speaker 3: It will no, And I don't know that it's necessarily bad news for Milwaukee, right I think they're just at a different place right now, and Damian Lillard's focusing on one thing, and that's his achilles at the moment. So a guy who's in the later stages of his career spence and probably has if we're being completely honest, like one go at it post achilles guard who already isn't an oversized guard. He's not a guy who moves laterally much better than a lot of guards in the league. So this is something where you know he's gonna have kind of one chance to find a good landing spot and have hopefully a little little last stand as a scoring guard, maybe a number one option. I don't know offensively, at least could still be a really, really good piece, and I'm excited to see where he lands.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting, Bill.
Speaker 1: Will and we'll see what's next in Milwaukee. They made a couple of different moves. So we'll discuss all the NBA free agency, the NBA offseason through the prism of the Utah Jazz in the Western Conference with some good basketball guest.
Speaker 2: Today, we'll give you an.
Speaker 1: Update on the Utah Mammoths first day and NHL free agency. They've signed a defenseman to a three year deal. We'll tell you about him. Actually made a couple of different moves throughout the course of today, so we'll keep you up to date on all of this on a busy Tuesday show. Our first guest will be Kyle Vonneger. But before Kyle rolls by, a courtesy of our good friends, you're good friends too. At Prize Picks. It is Todd now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: You download that Prize Picks app today, use that promo code ESPN seven hundred. They're going to hook you up with fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars lineup. You do not even have to win the five dollars lineup that you play. The fifty dollars is guaranteed. So download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred, and they'll hook you up at fifty bucks when you play that first five dollars line up. Prize Picks run your game all season long. All right, let's start here. It doesn't make any sense for either the Utah Jazz or Damian Lillard for the Jazz to make it play for Dame.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't when you.
Speaker 1: Look at it from a couple of different perspectives and angles, what do you bring them in on a one year deal and just kind of let them rehab in state? You know, I think with what we've seen the Jazz electing to move on from Colin Sexton. They trade Colin Sexton to the Charlotte Hornets. They had to attach a second round pick to Colin to get that transaction done, and ultimately they bring in a player with zero value. I don't think once upon a time I would have said that about Yusuf Nurkic, but I certainly I would say that right now and surprised that they actually had to attach the pick to Colin to get the transaction done. But what that does ultimately is give you an idea of what the market is now and has been for Colin, because if we're honest, whether it's Colin Sexton who they traded a Charlotte or Jordan Clarkson who they essentially cut, it was a buyout, and when you look at the details of the buyout, save the Jazz a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of money, ultimately they cut him.
Speaker 1: And that says that the market over the past few years has just been non existent, right because we've been waiting to see whether it was Colin, whether it was Clarkson, whether it was John Collins, or even a player like Lowry Marketen, who I still feel like is going to be here for a while.
Speaker 2: We'll get in some of that a little.
Speaker 1: Bit later on, if Justin's Annik or Danny Ainge. At the time the guy's making the decision prior to Austin's arrival, I think if they were able even to get like a salary match and a second round pick for either player, they would have done that deal. Now, a couple of years ago, after the decision was made to break down the Gobert Mitchell, Dennis Lindsay, Quinn Snyder nine year iteration of jazz basketball, the conversation turned from Okay, moved on from Donovan, moved on from Rudy, moved on from Bogdanovich, moved on from Mike Conley. Okay, you got rid of all these players. What does this mean for Jordan Clarkson? And then after Colin Sexton is acquired via the Mitchell deal, the conversation kind of turned into, Okay, what does it mean for Colin? Because it felt like those two would have had some market value. They moved off of o Chaio Baji really quick, who, by the way, played pretty well in Toronto last year. Some of the other pieces nikile Alexander Walker, who ironically enough is going to Atlanta where he'll play for Quinn. And when Quinn had Nikhil Alexander Walker here, he couldn't get off the bench. And I actually thought Alexander Walker was a better player than Royce O'Neil, who Quinn preferred.
Speaker 2: I never really knew why.
Speaker 1: So kind of an interesting non sequitor storyline that's a reunion of a coach and a player that didn't seem to really get much going when they were together prior to but ultimately, when you see what's happened here, I did mention this after Austin Age took the job, okay, And I don't know if there's anything here, but if you're a jazz fan, you've heard a lot of you know, jazz coaches, jazz players, people that worked for the jazz just applaud Jordan Clarkson for the way he handled himself off the court. He did become kind of like this leader. I believe it's painted in the locker room lead with love or show love or whatever. Jordan's thing is. And then you have Will Hardy wearing a hat that says show love at a press conference. That was Clarkson's thing and throughout the course of the worst stretch in the history of this organization under this ownership group. I think things like that actually endeared Jordan to the community and he deserves that, deserves those flowers, as the kids would say. Now, unfortunately the reality is over the past couple of years, he has not been near the player that he was when he played for Quinn and won six Man of the Year. You know, one of the coolest moments of that stretch of jazz basketball was Joe Ingles and Jordan Clarkson were two finalists for six Man of the Year a number of years ago, and they had this cool moment where Joe and Jordan were on television I think it was Turner after a game and they asked the trivia question how many players in jazz history of won six Man of the Year and Jordan said no, and then Joe held up his finger and said no, it's actually one, and they announced that won it.
Speaker 2: It was a really cool thing, really cool moment.
Speaker 1: So there are there there kind of is this sentiment across the market that a lot of people are sad to see Jordan go on his way, because I think he has meant a lot to a lot of people here throughout the course of a really clunky rebuild that's only led to mediocrity at best and pathetic play at worst. Jordan was kind of the vibe guy that kept things going. So sad to see him go, But the reality is, over the past couple of years, he has been barely an average player, you know, barely a rotational player for a team that's actually trying to win.
Speaker 2: And Jordan will now land in New.
Speaker 1: York, right, and he's gonna play for the Knicks, and it'll be interesting to see because the Knicks did rely for their second team offensive attack last year. They didn't have a ton of punch off the bench. I don't know if you noticed. Tom Thibbadau didn't play anybody. The Duce McBride kids a nice young player. But maybe Clarkson can step in there. And for a team that's actually trying to win in an Eastern Conference, it's very fluid. Next year, I would imagine Jordan could play a role, but at the past two years or any indication of who Jordan Clarkson is now as an NBA player. I'm not sure that that's a huge loss for the Jazz on the floor. Okay, So ultimately what this does, Okay, it does one thing. So back to the Austin Ange dynamic, who did not acquire any of these players prior to this draft cycle, was not a part of drafting any of these players. I just would imagine Austin Ainge is wired a little bit like his dad, where he just removes a motion from decision making and doesn't give a rip about players that he has not acquired. Now that the owner himself, Ryan Smith, has let us all know that he is the primary decision maker, so I just have to wonder whether it was Justin Zanik who was part of the trade, which, by the way, the Clarkson trade in retrospect, was a great deal by the Jazz. The traded Dante exem and I think two second rounders for Clarkson, who stepped in here and became one of, if not the best bench player in the history.
Speaker 2: Of Jazz basketball. All due respect to our guy a big.
Speaker 1: He thorowed Bailey, So an excellent transaction, and pardon me, wonders if Xanik or Danny Ainge was a little bit more. I'm going to use the term loyal, but I don't want that to sound like I'm knocking on Austin for not being loyal. My point is Austin just doesn't give a rib because he didn't acquire these players.
Speaker 2: He's new, okay, So he's.
Speaker 1: Looking at this roster maybe a little bit the same way Dennis Lindsay looked at it when he took the job as kind of a blank canvas where he can draw his own painting.
Speaker 2: He can paint his own creation.
Speaker 1: So I wonder if Danny and Justin were a little bit too stubborn in their asks for either Colin Sectioner or Jordan Clarkson, because what the transactions have indicated is there was no market for these two players at all. You had to attach his future second round pick, and is that a huge asset.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: But if you can grab a second round pick, it gives you another bite of the apple. And if you knock it out of the park the way certain second round picks have been knocked out of the park, namely the best basketball player on the planet riding now Nikola Jokic, then you look back at that risk, and you're like, man, you really had to give up a second round pick just to get off of Clarkson, and your quote unquote reward is a player in Usuf Nurkic that is basically a net negative. He's a veteran backup center that I suppose can provide some physicality and practice to Walker Kessler. He also was on an expiring d you, although expiring contracts don't have the value they once did, so maybe you can move Nurkic at the deadline. The net net of what I'm talking about is simply this. I don't know what else the Jazz are going to do this offseason. I think there's there's potential because I do think John Collins, and if we're honest about John Collins, he is coming off a career year. Okay, So if you're a team like the Lakers, if you were a team that has kind of been passed by by some of your other conference peers, you could do worse than John Collins. The problem is twenty six point five mil got to match that salary coming back, and you got to figure out what that looks like. And there is a world that exists that John Collins is kind of like a guy that you do want to pay because you do have to meet a salary floor. In the NBA, everybody talks about the second apron, the salary cap, you know, where you can't go over certain numbers because it's punitive in a way that we've.
Speaker 2: Seen a lot of roster movie. You also have to meet a salary floor.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have to pay somebody, and maybe that's somebody is John Collins. My point is there's a chance that if you pull up the Jazz depth chart right now, this is your team and this is who we're going to see next year. And that's okay because, as we've discussed and as we will continue to cover, the Jazz have a draft pick next year that is top eight protected, and if they're out of the top eight, it goes to Oklahoma City. And at this stage in your roster construction, when next year's draft is thought to be a place where maybe four or five franchise changing pieces exist, you have to hold on to that asset. It would be moutheasance if you elected to go all in on trying to be mediocre and suddenly you fall to nine, ten or eleven, and that pick goes to the offending World Champs.
Speaker 2: It would be a horrible way to approach this.
Speaker 1: So I know a lot of jazz fans are seeing all this player movement and going, wait a second, how do we get involved here? There are good players on the move, why aren't we acquiring any of them? Well, the main reason is, as Austin Am said, they're not going to manipul eight minutes to tank or try.
Speaker 2: To lose games.
Speaker 1: But there's a way to do that in the NBA without being obvious about it. So you're not fined by the league when you sit healthy veteran players, and it's very simple. You're going to see a lot of Isaiah Collier. You're going to see a lot of Keyante George. This is a big year for Kiante specifically. You're going to see Bryce sen Siba. You're going to see wal Clayton junior. You're gonna see Ace Bailey. You're going to see Taylor Hendricks, You're gonna see Walker Kessler, Kyle Philipowski, etc. You are going to see these pups play. Now, last year they fed us the BS line pups can't raise pups. Well, guess what pups are raising pups. That kennel is full of children, and hopefully some of them provide steps forward and provide hope for what this team can look like in three or four years, because guys, the reality is that's how long this is going to take before they're even kind of good. Yeah, Big twelve Football Media Days next week in Dallas, Texas will be down there as you're home of the Utes.
Speaker 2: Myself and Sean O'Connell.
Speaker 1: Have you taken care of We'll do back to back days of like seven.
Speaker 2: Hours of radio, so it should be a good time. It's kind of the unofficial.
Speaker 1: Start of the college football calendar for the University of Utah. Our next guest covers college football.
Speaker 2: And some other things. We'll do mostly.
Speaker 1: Football today, ever, Buddy Kyle Bonagura from ESPN on a Tuesday, Kyle, Happy Tuesday man.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 5: I do good spens in Jorge summer and kind of gearing up for the season, talking season starting.
Speaker 1: I guess yes, indeed, yes, indeed, so the big news around here over the past well past number of weeks, but a different kind of tone and tenor and direction. As a judge has granted a joint mo from b YU quarterback Jake Rahetz Laugh and his accuser to dismiss the civil suit against him. You and Pete Thamill doing a great job as always covering this. In addition, Jake has told his coaches and teammates he is now looking for a new place to play as a result of facing a seven game suspension. Just kind of unpack your thoughts on this whole thing, the whole process, and what you think comes next.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's really it's really complex, right, It's it's sensitive, it's complex. There's a lot of moving pieces here, you know, for for college football fans, like the bottom line kind of where we kind of left off here, you know this week is that Jake Retzlaf fan, like you said, the woman who accused him of rape, they they their case was dismissed. What the indication is is that there was probably some sort of a settlement and they agreed to kind of go their separate ways. And so what for Retsloft this means is that as part of his defense and maybe you guys to talk about this, is that he admitted to you know, his defense was that the encounter was a scent, was consensual sex, which of course, is a violation of uiu's honor code. We've seen a number of cases or instances in the past where you know, athletes you know, admitted to having sex and we're forced if they forced into a suspension or kicked off the team. So as soon as as soon as this was I guess last Friday, when that defense publicly surface, I think it was pretty easy to kind of see that a suspension was coming. Then I was able to confirm that, you know, seven games was the expectation. And for Jake faced the seven games suspension in his final year of eligibility, a year that he hoped to develop into an NFL prospect. I think he made the decision pretty easy to ask uh to decide to transfer from the UYU. And now we'll see, we'll see where he ends up. Right, There's a stigma now attached to him as a result of the accusations, right, and so.
Speaker 6: We'll kind of see.
Speaker 5: Where that goes. I think we'll have a pretty good sense to the next week or two where he winds up, and I do expect him to find a home before the season begins.
Speaker 1: So I am not a lawyer and Kyle, unless I am mistaken. Neither of you correct.
Speaker 5: Just spend too much time reading legal filings without the education to make sense of them completely.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: But I'll ask and if there's not much here, we can just move in another direction. Maybe you can enlighten us on how this process kind of played out. Lawsuit filed, Okay, that we had you on pretty quick after that, because the details that you guys were reporting on at BYU as far as her accusations were, they were horrible. And then you know, Retz left is an attorney, and his attorney they filed kind of their side of things and they were very adamant that this was consensual and that included some pretty heavy language in the direction of this young lady as well. And then we have this situation where again the you know, it's kind of assumed that a settlement was reached, but we don't have any information in that direction. Now the judges is signing this to kind of just dismiss the whole thing. Can you enlighten us in kind of how this process works and you know, how they kind of came to this resolution if that makes sense, Yeah, and I.
Speaker 5: Think you can, like and the process is pretty similar not with just this case in particular, but like all all civil cases that are similar, right, they all follow a very similar kind of order of events. Right, the complaint is filed by the accusing party, she remains nameless. Then you have a certain amount of days to reply, right, and so you know, I don't know what the exact number is, but that period time is thirty sixty days or some period you know in the within those parameters. That's what happened last week. So Jake's hires an attorney, they file a response to why they think it should be dismissed or the or here's their defense that that's all standard, right is when and when you're talking about civil cases, it can go a number of ways. Right. It can be flat out dismissed by a judge like hey on its mayor we don't see anything here, there's not enough to proceed there is. It can go to trial, right, you all move forward, and that could take a couple of years to wind through the court system to a point where we actually have a jury trial. That was the demand, the quote unquote demand in the original complaint, which is all standard in the third like really common door to go through as a settlement, right, And I think that the based on the language that was included in the joint motion to dismiss, it's hard to come up with any other scenario to why they would have filed that unless they had come to some sort of a settlement. It's likely a financial settlement. And the territory you start treading into there is like in those cases, both parties agree not to ever discuss it, right, it would violate that the terms of the agreement, So the woman and her legal team are not allowed to discuss it. I'm sure there's some sort of financial penalties if they were to do so, and I think it's probably the same on the other side, where where Jake or his legal team is also not at liberty to discuss the numbers, right, And so it's easy to make the assumption. I think anyone understands that's probably what took place based on how it being unfolded. But there's just not going to be any more details just because of the kind of the way these things are structured.
Speaker 2: Any inside at all.
Speaker 1: And I am just asking to ask because I honestly don't know. I mean, if you read the tea leaves DYU, the Institution must have read Jake's court filing and what he had to say about, you know, the events that took place, and when he admitted to consensual premarital sex. I just am assuming that that's when the punishment came down and it was going to be seven games. Is that just a SA safe way to assume how this went?
Speaker 5: Yes, honest, I can say that I in talking with sources and Durma reporting problems, I know that Jake met with the school prior to the reply last week being filed. So, like b YU, was not caught off guard by what was outlined in the reply where he admitted publicly that this you know, his or his stance publicly was that that the sex was consensual. So by the time Friday rolled around, the university had already been able to discuss internally what the appropriate punishment should be, and like how they settled on seven games, it feels a little arbitrary to me, but you know, I don't have a great sense of how they determined that was the number, but but it was relayed to him last week. I believe on Friday that the number would be seven and at that point, yeah, I think it was a very easy decision for him to move on, and like, I don't think he was caught off guard by it either. Right, there's the precedent is there at BUYU that like this stuff is, this is how they deal with it. There there's the honor code that you kind of you know, you can we can have a longer conversation about the merits of it, but like that's what you signed up for when you go to that school, and so you kind of have to live with the consequences if you break the honor code. So that's and that's kind of where we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the problem and I've said this quite frankly, I said it when the story came out. I've been doing radio in this market coming up this fallow to be twenty years and my most unfavorite things to cover are BYU honor code violations from players when things like this take place, because there are so many angles where you feel, at least I feel that you need to be fair to everybody involved in you know, the community of people that decide to go online and take victory laps if you're a UTAH fan or accuse this woman of extorting or lying, if you're a BYU fan, the thing. The whole thing feels really gross to me, Kyle, I don't enjoy it. But to your point about having a bigger conversation about whether or not the honor code is antiquated, whether or not it needs to be adjusted, I find that to be a moot point. You know what you get into when you go down there. I had five siblings that went to BYU. I mean, and there's no ambiguity, by the way, Like it's there's no gray area, like if you're going to go there, you're expected to behave as and if you don't, you need to understand like things like this could happen to me.
Speaker 2: That's just kind of the bottom line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's it's it's very clear, right, And that's why I don't think he was surprised that there was a suspension. I mean, he's been starting quarterback at IT for a program with very high aspirations this coming year, and and and that didn't matter, right. I Mean we saw it, however, many years ago with with Brandon Davies, like getting suspended when the basketball team was twenty seven to two and right number two in the country, right, Like that's just that's that's how it works there and so you have to kind of accept it if you're going to play it there. It does complicate things though, Uh you know that that he's not that he's not Mormon, right, that he's you know, there was you know, he had by J trademarked last year because he was such a unique uh you know, dynamic for to have a Jewish starting quarterback at BYU for the first time ever. Uh, it was you know interesting if nothing else, and so uh the fact that he's you know, not of that faith, but you know is being punished for you know, the beliefs of that religion is also like the very interesting conversation. Right, it's not football related at all. It's it's it's society and it's uh everything that goes into that. But you know, from from a college football standpoint, you know, there would it would have been very easy to avoid this scenarios Thurgy Grepsop and now he's just got to deal with it.
Speaker 1: I wonder how And you know, this is where we get into this like slippery slope with this conversation, you know, because out here we're used to this and certainly whether you're a member of the LDS Church or not, if you live in this state, you have to find a way to exist in the ecosystem that's dominated on every level of state by the religion that essentially you know, settled here hundreds of years ago. So out here something like this goes down, you're kind of like, yeah, that's the b YU experience. I wonder how you would articulate the reaction from somebody who's an outsider looking in and look, you've covered by you and maybe you're the wrong the wrong guy asked this because you do you are familiar with Salt Lake. You've covered Utah on the Pack twelve, mean, you've covered BYU stories. But when something like this happens, how do you think it's kind of digested and optically it looks from the outside looking in from somebody who may not be familiar with how this stuff works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's an interesting question because like, yeah, like I'll just say none of this kind of common app that I've been around it enough to have like understand kind of the state of play for the most part, So I a feel like I had a decent understanding for being an outsider. But like imagine telling someone this and like the south right, like the college football quarterback. You know, your quarterback is suspended because he had sex, like pad pre marital sex.
Speaker 6: It's insane.
Speaker 5: Like, I think there's like an expectation that like, yeah, he's the quarterback of a college of like a ranked college football team. That is challenging for you know, conference titles. There's a you know, there's a perception of what that individual social life might be, right, that comes with being a high profile athlete in college sports, especially the quarterback. Right, So if anything, you know, you would be I think you have a lot of people surprised if the starting quarterback wasn't having sex. Right, That's just that's just the reality of what the perception is nationally about about about that position. But but again, so I think, yeah, there's some people that of course are not going to agree with it, and they're gonna think it's weird, and and that's just the way it is, right. There's no there's no uh, you know, there's there's no way, no other way to explain it, right, There's just cultural differences, and you know it's in you know, in the United States, there's so many different subcultures that are that are so different, and college football has a way of bringing them all together, which I think most of the time is actually a really good thing and exposed to you to different backgrounds and areas of the country, which which mixes them all together. But certainly you're gonna have this, uh, you're gonna have some some shock at times when stuff like this this plays out.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's anything about this and again, just covering this whole thing and trying to try to talk about it appropriately and cover all sides if it appropriately, continues to feel weird. And the the fact of the matter is, Kyle, as you know, ever since nil became a reality, BYU has been able to recruit at a very high level. Their twenty twenty six class, as a result of another commit is currently top twenty five according to the ESPN rankings. They've got the best college basketball freshmen in America playing in Provo next year. So the weird kind of dichotomy here is on one side, they've been able to find this lane with deep pocketed donors writing big time checks to pay what you need to pay to attract talent. Do you think something like this with the Jake stuff could have an adverse effect on the program when people kind of dig into it and to your point, might look at this as antiquated or weird.
Speaker 6: I think so yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I think if you put yourself in the shoes of a bunch of eighteen year old kids, right, there are some of them who are not going to want to go into that sort of environment. That's just the reality of it, right, And so but I think that was the case before. Like this is just the most recent example of like, hey, it's front and center. It kind of refreshes the idea of like, hey, like this is kind of the environment that you're signing up for, and it's it's going to some people are going to shy away from it. But I do think that BUYU has benefited as much as anyone in college athletics by the way things have developed. From an analys standpoint, I mean, look at basketball, look at football. Like you know, I and I talk to some people over at BUYU and they see it as look like YU is like the church is very like sees this as an opportunity to help sure, right, because the more high profile BUYU athletics is, the more front and center the LDS religion is, right, That's just it's it's pure marketing, right, And so there's an investment into football that benefits the church in that way. There's just like, look, you also want to be successful in sports. This is an opportunity. There's a lot of money there that can be using and is be and is being is to help fund these programs. And so I think like on balance, BYU is benefiting from this, but certainly like this event if you're gonna have any negative rippercursions as well, but the laundromatic still be r So.
Speaker 1: It does come after a season where BYU cut a lot of people off guard with how well they played. And you know, interestingly enough, and we've talked about this so we don't need to look back on it, but the two games they lost like they they weren't that far off from having like an extraordinary season, cracking a cup here, what have you. But they stumble down the stretch at home to Kansas, and then they lose an absolute dogfight Arizona State, they beat Colorado and the Alamo Bowl they go eleven and two. So now we move over to what could be next for them. You know, the interesting thing is Jake was eleventh in the Big twelve and QBR oftentimes they were able to win in spite of some really bad decisions he made. So when you look at you know, the quarterback room, McKay Hillstead is a Utah State transfer of tracing Boorgay and Bear Bachmeyer.
Speaker 2: I don't know who's going to get the job.
Speaker 1: But the football takeaway as we are awkwardly now to make this a football topic because it's just so weird to talk about all this stuff, what do you think this means for BYU football this year in the Big twelve?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's it's it's hard to say, right because like we just don't know how good the other quarterbacks will being. It's like, as good as Redsoft was, he wasn't like it was a set of the world on fire. I think it was a competent quarterback who who didn't lose games and and you know that's actually like a really valuable asset like Aspett to have, right, Like he he made some mistakes at times and wasn't perfect and and and showed flashes at times where he where I thought he was really good. I think there was a lot of uh, you know, a stock being in put into him coming back as the starter, right and not being the same quarterback that he was last year and being able to have that that year of starting experience under his belt where now he's able to kind of make the step next step and be it more just be a better player. Right with him gone, that it's a it's a complete unknown. I mean, I think L J. Martin is actually a really good back, Like like, I think he's progressed pretty well in the last two years. Like so I think a lot more will be put on him than probably would have been expected if if rets Off was coming back. But yeah, it's it's it's a complete that noun with with with who the other quarterbacks are. You know, you got three different transfers, so we'll see. Like I still think, you know, this is a team that won with defense last year, right They had the best defense in the Big Twelve if I'm not mistaken statistically, if not, you know, one of the best of the country really and so when you're making your money that way, I think a lot of that is Schematically they're very sound, and you know, they've got some really important players to replace. But at the same time, there's enough coming back to where I think the expectations of the defense should still be very good. So with all those factors. I still think BUYU will will head into this year with really high expectations. But and we talked about this in the past, spense like it's just so hard to predict college football now with all the rosters turnover. Yeah, there's a lot Like reading the Telia, they should still be pretty good. But you know they were expected to come what like thirteenth in the conference lass year and almost won it. So what do we know?
Speaker 2: Not a lot, I guess, And that's the problem.
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 1: Now I want to ask you about your thoughts on the Big twelve, but it is July first, and I would imagine that you've read some of the same predictions I've read. Phil Steele came out with his annually. He's got Baylor winning the conference, Utah at two. There are a lot of preseason predictions that have Utah in the area of like four to seven. I think a lot of people are curious about Texas Tech with the money they've spent. Then there's like the stall Wards k State Iowa State. Obviously we have to talk about Kenny Dillingham and the team that won the conference a year ago. But on July first, Kyle, what's your gut tell you about this conference. It just seems to cannibalize itself, just like the Pac twelve US too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was actually going to make the comparison. As you're kind of reading those lists of you can make the like you can make the case for all those teams and feel pretty good about it, right, And I think that's actually why I really like the Big twelve and like, like it's really an interesting conference to start paying more attention to because it is wide open. There isn't the established powers. I like the parody and it doesn't it's not necessarily great, like for national prominence not to have just like a Bell Coal at the top. You can rely on to the top five or whatever. But you know, Arizona State was a great story last year. They were I think picked to come second to last in the conference and to go to the playoffs and showed well I thought in the playoffs. Yeah, so yeah, I'm gonna I think, I ask you, you know, for me, they're very interesting. Of course they've got a lot of production to replays. But then the most intriguing team I think has to be Texas Tech because in this era of college football, money matters, right, like if you look at salary caps like an unsalary caps sports, but the teams with the highest payrolls are usually the best teams. Like it's a really easy correlation to make you have the most money, you get the best players. Texas Tech is that team. Like we've seen reports that you know, maybe thirty forty million dollars on their roster, and whatever the exact number, it doesn't really matter. Like the takeaway is it's a lot, and it's more than most other programs, not just in the Big twelve, but it's among the elite spenders in college football. So that's gonna that's gonna help you out. The scheme and all that stuff matters too, But the talent, at the end of the day is the most important aspect of winning football games.
Speaker 6: And so for me, I.
Speaker 5: Would probably pick Texas Tech as as a favorite. And then you know, confidence level on that like not a lot, because again there's just this is just so hard to premit.
Speaker 1: All right, before I say you loose, let's talk about and unpack what you wrote concerning you know, and thank you for not writing about Bill Belichick and Jordan Hudson.
Speaker 2: I don't really need to read about that. Anymore.
Speaker 1: But you did write about Bill Belichick, you know, obviously no.
Speaker 2: Longer in pro football.
Speaker 1: He's moved to the College of Ranks of Carolina, And you wrote about a coach that people around here know, of course, and Bill Walsh, and kind of drew a parallel between how this could how this could look for Belichick.
Speaker 2: So I want you on pack what you wrote.
Speaker 1: And then I'm wondering if you think we will see more coaches maybe tried this path if the NFL door closes now that things are a little bit different in the college game, that feels a little bit more professional.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it's the.
Speaker 5: Servisult for all, a lot of fun to report. I grew up in the barriers, you know, and like follow the forty nine Ers dynasty and all of that. Bill Walsh is just kind of a legend. I mean the legend everywhere, but certainly here in the Bay area. And so they have a chance to talk with a bunch of coaches and players who were on his Stanford team in ninety two. Was just a funny assignment for me to do. It's it's the parallels are are pretty cool. It's this guy who oversaw dynasty, coached the best quarterback in the NFL in NFL history at that point in Joe Montana and the steps aside reasons are different, and then decides he wants to get back into coaching and returns to college football. He had, you know, he had been the coach at Stanford before. So it's not the same as Belichick going to the college game for the first time, but it is the same that you have the guy who is essentially the defining genius of the sport schematically at the I'm you know, becoming a college football coach and trying to you know, reverse engineer what he did in the NFL for the college level. They had a really good year in ninety two. They finished ranked in the top ten, which is obviously very difficult to do at Stanford. I have a lot of really good anecdotes and stories in my piece that published today. You know, Tom Holmo, that you know, just obviously set down as the idea of BYU recently had a few of those. I mean, he talked about getting a call from Walsh we played for with the forty nine ers. He had just finished two years as a as a grad assistant at BYU. He's trying to break into the next stage of his life, and Walsh calls the BYU facility in nineteen ninety at the end of ninety one or early ninety two, maybe January of ninety two, tells Tom, Hey, I'm going to Stanford and you're coming with me something like that, right, And Tom's like, okay, great. He calls his wife and she's asking them all sorts of questions like how much he getting paid, what position are you coaching? All these things. HEAs, I don't know, I have no idea. I didn't I didn't ask him many of those questions. But it's Bill Walsh. It's my first job, full first full time job, you know, after playing for football. I'm gonna take it. He tells another story about going down to Louisiana on a recruiting trip with Walsh, and there it's the small town in Louisiana. They're after this big time defensive back, and the high school coach parades them around town, stopping by all the establishments. Eventually it takes into a restaurant for dinner.
Speaker 6: That night.
Speaker 5: They're sitting at this long dining table and it's roped off, and so they sit down for dinner and then the restaurant fills up with people. There's people standing five deep in the restaurant just to watch Bill Walsh have dinner at this small town in Louisiana with with with Tom Holmo next to him as this rookie, as this rookie college football assistant coach.
Speaker 6: There's a bunch of.
Speaker 5: Other stuff that's really fine and cool. So I would I would encourage people to go check that out. And so it's up on ESPN dot com right now.
Speaker 1: Well, good stuff as always, Kyle, thanks for the time today, man, have a good week, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Sure thing?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Kyle Bonner girl covers college ball for ESPN. Consistent guest on the show at Bonnagura, ESPN is where you find him.
Speaker 4: Next on the Drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA daily assists.
Speaker 5: Van McMahon Banman. That is in all the land. Textis flood as tickets Mud.
Speaker 2: He's and Man.
Speaker 6: McMahon Banman.
Speaker 4: Then Man.
Speaker 1: Day two NBA Free Agency. Nothing today regarding the Utah Jazz at least officially, but my goodness.
Speaker 2: A lot of movement, a lot of movement.
Speaker 1: Our next guest joins us on a weekly basis, who collective ESPN Our guide Tim mcmon Tim, Happy Tuesday, man.
Speaker 2: How are we doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing all right?
Speaker 6: How about you?
Speaker 2: We're good, We're good. I guess we found out where the market is for Colin Sexton.
Speaker 6: Isy. Yeah. That I would say was a rather underwhelming trade for the Jazz, having to give up a second round pick along with Colin Secton to get a big man who's bounced trying to leave less than ideal. But I do think that it accomplishes a couple of goals for the Jazz, and that would be one to open up minutes for their young guards and two to put a product on the floor next year that's going to protect their top eight protected pick.
Speaker 1: And in addition, they essentially waved Jordan Clarkson. It was technically a buyout, and the buyout saved the Jazz a little bit of cash. And then Jordan, according to you guys over at ESPN, plans to signed with the Knicks when he clears waivers. And for the past couple of years, everybody around here loves him, as you know, but he's just not the player that he was when he won six Man of the Year under Quinn. Because where none of us are as young as we used to be. So your thoughts on the decision to move on from Jordan Clarkson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and look, man, you know Clarkson had to basically sit out last season. I think that it was the right thing to do to let him get to a competitive situation. Clearly, if there was a robust trademarket for him, he would have been gone already. So instead of letting that drag out, they let him go before free agcing got started, and he found a home in New York. And it's the first clutch client to go to the Knicks in quite some time. Honestly, if there's a surprise involved, it's if the Knicks took on a clutch client. But hopefully Clarkson can go there, and obviously I'll have a limited role off the batch bit. Hopefully we can give him a little jolt of some offense off the bench and it's a good situation for all involved. But him sticking around in Utah for another years didn't make sense for anybody.
Speaker 2: You have an accurate frame of reference.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because Jordan is the longest tenured jazz man and the only holdover from the Dennis Lindsay Quinn Snyder group, and it seems like throughout this four year pivot rebuild, you know, wins and losses, it's the worst that it's ever been around here. He's kind of been the locker room vibe guy. It feels like a lot of people are actually pretty sad to see him go. Do you have any context or frame of reference for what he's meant to that organization?
Speaker 6: I mean, finally somebody who's interacting with Jordan Clarkson who doesn't like the guy.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, you.
Speaker 6: Know, like I mean, he's just he vibes is the right word. And he's also part of the one of the funnier Will Hardy stories that I can recall, and that's you know, Will Hardy comes in obviously it's his first head coaching job, and he's got some base schools that he wants to instill in. One of those rules is no jewelry of practice. And then Jordan Clarkson shows up and he's got diamonds and bended in his teeth, and and you know, Will had to kind of think about that and it's like, is that jewelry? Is that a violation of the rule? And then he just decided not to enforce no jewelry to practice for real quite as hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's just been interesting to see, you know, the social reaction and talk to a lot of people that kind of felt like this was the end of an era because he was the only holdover. But it's been a minute since we've had you on, so we get to talk to you about a couple of different jazz topics that have already gone down, and that is namely, Ace Bailey was the selection at five. And you know a lot of reporting and I certainly can't coroborate any of it that maybe Ace's camp did not prefer Utah, there was a and we had your buddy Tim Bontemps on yesterday, so we unpacked this stuff. There was a report from Tim and others at ESPN that his camp had told somebody in the top five not to draft him. Uh, clearly it wasn't the jazz. I thought, Brad, Actually we'll get to wal Clayton Junior in a minute. But Austin ainge, you know, you know, I kind of like, I don't know if this is the dynamic, but whether or not East want to be here. Austin just said well, we think you're the best player, so we're taking you. He reported on time, he could not have been better for the pressure, and he is ready to go. So your thoughts on the Jazz taking as Bailey at five, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, listen, the indications certainly were that he would prefer to go to Washington. He he did not send out the message that he was good was going to Utah. I think the communication after the pick was very spotty, to put it politely, for a little bit there. But to your point, he showed up. He showed up ready to work. And it seems to me that he's gotten over wanting to kind of choose his destination in the draft, which is just not the way the draft works. He's going to get plenty Like listen, if he wants to be a star, he's going to have that opportunity in Utah. There's going to be plenty of opportunity for him, you know, to get shots, to have the ball in his hands, you know, to be developed and and so you know, life could be a lot worse. I think this is actually a really good situation for him, and you know he's not He didn't show up pouting, he didn't show up whining and crying or anything of that. Like I said, it seems like whatever disappointment there might have been on his end, he got over it, and he showed up ready to go to work and ready to be a pro, and that's all he can ask. You know. I think at some point he's going to have to really consider who he's listening to for advice and what their credentials are. It's it's very easy to be a teenage kid and have the wrong people in your ear and get steered down the wrong path. So hopefully he's going to be able to evaluate that and make some clear head decisions about what voices he's valuing that are in his ear and move forward. But hey, shut up, ready to go to work and looking forward to seeing him in the saw Lake City Semmer League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point about the reps.
Speaker 1: And I've been very adamant to remind the listeners that this is an eighteen year old young man who is surrounded by people who appeared to have never done this job before, so they're also learning on the fly. One follow up, have you been able to kind of learn the reasoning that he canceled all of his workouts? I mean, typically your antenna goes up and you think, Okay, he's been promised, and then he cancels Philly and you're like, wait, he hasn't been promised at one or two. So maybe Washington did have their eyes on him, and maybe they take him at six if the Jazz don't take him at five. But have you been able to learn why he's canceled all of his workouts?
Speaker 6: I don't have direct information that I can tell you. The belief throughout the league is that he wanted to go to Washington, and Washington wanted him to go there, gotcha, So you know, take that for what it's worth. Like I said, I can't sit here and tell you absolutely positively that's one hundred percent true. I can just tell you that that's what people around the league believed to be true.
Speaker 1: So I'm a little conflicted here because if Walt, and by the way, it's Walt he told us as an introductory press conference, it's not Walter. He wants us to call him Walt, So I'll call him what he wants us to call him. Like if Austin Ainge and the Jazz staff identified him as their guy, go get them. I have no issue with it. Then you think, okay, you traded twenty one and three second rounders to only move up three spots, which is not nothing. But again, if he's the guy, go get them right. So your thoughts on the trade they executed to go draft Wall Clayton Junior.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, if they're right, you're not gonna worry about the second round picks down the road. And they really liked this guy, and you know, I mean it's funny because in a lot of ways he's the polar opposite of Ace Bailey in terms of a prospect. You know, Ace Bailey is all about lot talent and potential, and he was this, you know, like five star recruit coming out, was pegged as a top lottery pick. You know, when he's sixteen years old, all those kind of things were old Walt. You know, he's a guy who he went to Sienna and he got screamed at by a Patino for a couple of years, came off the benches freshman year. You know, I had to earn a starting spot there. Patino leaves, transfers to Florida. You know, four year guy, a total winner in college where obviously you know, Rutgers with with Bailey and Harper didn't win last year, won a championship at Florida. You know, comes comes to Utah obviously much more mature, you know what I mean, just older, more mature, more experience, an adult, approven winner who doesn't necessarily have that jump off the page, you know, the measurables, the athleticism, all that kind of thing. But there's there are you know, I've seen them compared to Brunson. Not not identical as players, certainly, but in terms of some of the background stuff very learn.
Speaker 1: All Right, I'm not going to ask you about sphem kay Luke's contract being picked up, So let's move over to what could be next for the Jazz. And the one name that I think everybody's honed in on now is John Collins with a twenty six point five million dollar expiring deal.
Speaker 2: It was not expiring last year, it is now.
Speaker 1: And you know, there's an argument to be made that the season he had last year may have been his best as a pro, or maybe second to the season he had before he's got his big contract. And I don't know, Tim, I feel like every time I pull up some sort of rumor site or see a tweet, regarding the Jazz potential next move, it lands on John any inside on what could be next there.
Speaker 6: Well, he is certainly available in the trade market, but so was Colin Sexton. Obviously Clarkson was for a while. I don't know that he would be a buyout candidate, but you know, it would make sense if there's nothing that is appealing in the trade market. I did, and you know, look could be traded. I don't think you're going to get a significant hale in return. If that was the case, you probably would have already happened, or it would have happened midway through last season. But you know, certainly, I think we all understand that where the Jazz are and they're rebuild, where Collins is in his career, that Collins being in Utah this year probably isn't in anybody's best interest.
Speaker 2: Well said, all right, we can move off the Jazz.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some Western Conference teams that have really, in my estimation, done an excellent job of I don't know, closing the gap between themselves and Okay, so you're just taking a step forward. So I'm just going to ask you about a team and I just want your thoughts. Let's start with the Houston Rockets.
Speaker 6: Yeah, obviously starting with a KD trade that that was a big swing, a win now move. That that's a move you make that said, hey, we're serious about contending right now. They're able to do it without really shortening their runaway all. You know, jayman Green got moved in the trade, but he's probably fourth, fifth, sixth in terms of the young guys that were most important in the future of the franchise. And then I'll be honest with you that the Capella thing kind of caught me off guard. They want to be able to have two bigs available at all times, and obviously Steven Mavams going to miss some time. Finney Smith though, here's the thing. The Rockets both went out and drastically upgraded the go to guy. They got a Hall of Fame go to guy, and they also leaned into the style of play that they want that big, just nasty, rough, physical defense, rebound, all that kind of stuff, bringing in Phinney Smith, bringing in Capella. So I think they're the second best team in the Western Conference.
Speaker 1: That's actually where I was going to ask you, because Vegas has them as two now, but he answered it. So let's move on and let me let me ask you about what the Nuggets are doing, and just coming across the wires, they've added another rotational piece. And I don't know that I'm a huge Tim Hardaway junior guy, but you could do worse for like your ninth or tenth man. But what do you make of the way they've gone about their off season so far?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I really liked what they did in terms of like the short term with Michael Porter junior, trading him for Cam Johnson now, but twenty thirty two pick could end up being a steep price. That's a steep price after Jokers prime. To me, you got a comfortable player, It's not an upgrade, probably a more versatile, well rounded player, and you saved a ton of money which created flexibility. And then you know, I thought they might just try to dust the tax, but they brought him, you know, to Saling Tunas today. You know Hardley's a minimum guy, but you know Bruce Brown coming back to the minimum. I mean those are between Valan Tunas, Bruce Brown and Hardaway. Those are three proven vets for the bench. And if you know, if one of the young guys like plays hardly have a spot in rotation. Great, but it's not you know, the volume movement, shooters around jokers not a bad thing to have.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Not a jazz story, but a local story is Dame Lillard plays played his college ball up north of Weaver State, and you know, when you see the news, the optics are like, wait, how do you cut Dame Lillard?
Speaker 2: How do you cut Damian Lillard? Like?
Speaker 1: And then optically, that's not a great look for who Dame is historically is a Hall of Fame player. But he will get his money and he will decide where the either the final or the next stands of his NBA career will take place. As a result of the deal that Milwaukee made to stretch him, they bring in Miles Turner, which is an interesting dynamic because, as you know, the Bucks and the Pacers aren't necessarily the best of friends. So what do you make of how Milwaukee went about this.
Speaker 6: Massive blow to the Indiana Pacers. Obviously I get the fit of Turner with the honest Turners, basically a younger Springer version of Brook Lopez. I understand like the logic behind the waving stretch with Dane. He's going to miss all next season you don't know what he's gonna be when he comes back. Tell you who that man paint a guy one hundred and thirteen million dollars to go away, that's who. That's tough. And basically the Dame trade ended up being a disaster for Milwaukee. You know, they're still out draft capital in the future. It didn't produce a single playoff series victory, and now he's on their books for the next five years at twenty two and a half million per I get it. I don't think that bringing the Miles Turner just vaults the Bucks in the contender status. And he likes Kevin Porter junior starting point guard. They still got something to figure out there. I'm not sure what that answer is going to be, but they're going to need a better answer than that. And as far as Dan goes like it's you know, it's a little smudge on his resume, but if he never scores another point, he's a Hall of Famer and for him, he gets his money. And it's not like he wanted to be in Milwaukee. He'd made the best of a situation he did not want to be in. So now he gets to choose his next spot and he gets to choose. You know, probably does he want to sign with somebody this year in a two year deal and rehab under their watch, or does he want to kind of play it out, rehab on his own and be able to evaluate the situation. You know, maybe he's in late this season or next summer. So my understanding is Dame is not heartbroken about this development.
Speaker 1: Only because I've been asked ten times today and I believe the answer is emphatically no, because I don't think it makes sense for either side. But every time anybody with a local tie who is good becomes available, a lot of people out here says, Okay, the jaz should go get him. There's not anything that makes sense about Dame Lillard to the Jazz, right.
Speaker 6: The Jazz just bought out Jordan Clarks and then traded Colin Section for I'm not very good player to open up minutes for these young guys that they've a And yeah, I mean that really doesn't First of all, forget about it making sense for the Jazz, how does that make sense for Damian Lillard. It doesn't like there's one thing he really wants to do that's won a championship. At this point in his career, and I don't think coming to Utah as there in a rebuild would be a very good route to that.
Speaker 1: I just needed the Tim mcman approval for my opinion, so I appreciate that. You know, a couple of weeks ago, maybe a month ago, we were discussing just the potential of Collin Sexton to Dallas because they needed a guard while Kyrie got healthy. Well, they went a different direction. The de Angelo Russell was the decision. And it's not a bad value play, you know, because he's not going to be a long term answer. But I'm going to find this team really interesting this year. So I will ask you about what this transaction says to you and what you're expecting from the MAVs this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think with Sexton is, look, the Hornets had a salary of that size. They did not mind at all parting with the Matticts. Wanted to keep all the guys who were at that sort of a number. So that's where that got, uh, you know, Wonkey and dan Ta Russell. Look, Dangel on a max that he's been on is a disaster. I mean it's a terrible value tax payer mid level. Okay, you know, he's a flawed player. He's not really a point guard. He's more of a league guard. They're going to give Cooper Flag every opportunity to prove that he can handle a lot of the point duties as a rookie. And you know, basically, Daniel Russell his jobs to come in to get buckets in the starting lineups the first half the season and then hopefully transition to a six man role when Kyrie comes back. You know, it's it is a little tough to make the Mantra defense wins championships kind of your repeat line as a general manager, and then your most significant moves of the off season, aside from drafting Hell with dependent number one overall, is signing D'Angel Russell. But again, this is a team that they needed shooting, they needed playmaking. You know, they need a guy who can create his own shot, and Deangel Russell can do all those things that they at a price point where you're not going to get at all. You know, if he was a really good defender, he wouldn't be available at that price point.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you about Lebron because I feel obligated, but it's just kind of a weird story to understand as far as how this thing is playing out. He picked up his option fifty two point six, but he's also monitoring what the Lakers do, contemplating his future. According to several reports, I just feel like Lebron will be playing for the Lakers next year next to Luka Doncic, but they've got work to do via free agency that they have not come close to being able to execute. I don't know how much of this is new ownership, but what's the what's the take on the Lebron Lakers stuff?
Speaker 6: Well, and then Rich Paul went on the record with a very like subject to interpretation type of statement, but you know, essentially indicating them, Hey, Lebron's opting in for the money and we'll figure out if he really wants to be there. But they understand crazing the guy making fifty two point six million dollars to his preferred destination is not easy or in a lot of situations, is not even really possible. But in part because if you're going to trade a guy at that salary, a lot of guys gonna have to come back, and then it might not be a situation you want to be a part of anymore. There are people around the league who are like, is Lebron trying to bully his way to a buyout from the Lakers, And if you're sitting in Rob Lincoln jenie Buss's chair, the answer to that is just sorry, No, we're paying fifty two point six million dollars. You'll be playing basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers this year, really looking forward to it, and then we're doing our best upbade the roster. I'll see you when training camp starts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of how I read it as well, all right, before I say you lose, you know, it was interesting because Quinn had Nikhil Alexander Walker here and didn't play him, and it felt like when he had opportunities like Quinn just preferred Royce and I wasn't you know, I wasn't entirely on board with it. But Quinn's the coach and he knows more than I do. Well, he'll have another opportunity to get to know him a little bit and maybe it'll work out differently because he had a great stretch of Minnesota. Luke Canard, in addition to Kristaps Porzingis, the East is wide open and the Atlanta Hawks might have something to say about it.
Speaker 6: I'll be honest with you, I had completely forgotten that Quinn very briefly had nikhil Alexander Walker in Utah. That is interesting. I'm totally forgotten about that. Obviously, Royce O'Neil was a proven commodity with somebody who'd earned Quinn's trust. And the circumstances are much different because Alexander Walker has proven himself as a high level role player, not just a three and D guy, but a guy who can you know, make some plays off the dribble, you know, initiate, facilitate some and clearly was quite valued by the Atlanta Hawks. I mean, you know, he's coming in sixty two million over four years. And I agree with you. I think the Hawks have had a heck of a summer in a wide open Eastern Conference. I think they are the most improved team. I think they've positioned themselves to, you know, potentially have home court advantage in the first round. And you know, you know, we can talk about the Knicks and the and the Calves. Is the favorites in the East going in the next year, but it's wide open and the Hawks are one of the teams. I think it positioned themselves to be in the mix.
Speaker 1: Dam you're the man. Keep up the great work. It's been a fun couple of days. Have a good week and on chat.
Speaker 6: Soon appreciate you, brother.
Speaker 1: And McMahon covers the NBA for ESPN and he is their jazz guy. When the Jazz are in a different spot than they are right now, how we just how about we just say it like that.
Speaker 4: He's the pride of Norwich, Connecticut and an adopted son of Salt Lake City. After forty years with the Utah Jazz, there's no one better to talk some hoops. Richard Smitty Smith is back on the Drive on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Well, little breaking news about a commit for Utah football in twenty twenty six. Kelvin Obots the number nine overall recruit in the twenty twenty six class. This kid is legit offensive tackle. We'll see what that does to Utah's recruiting rankings. Of course, that's not for two years. There's still football left to be played before we get to know these young men. It is day two of NBA free agency. Wimbledon's going on.
Speaker 2: It feels like a.
Speaker 1: Great data Richard Smitty Smith Liven Studio. You've been catching any of the tennis I have?
Speaker 8: You know, the Wimbledon started Sunday and today earlier today, Coco Golf number two seed and the women's singles draw lost right after winning the Rolling Garros in Paris, and and so it's a big, big loss on the women's side right off the bat in the tournament. But that's a big different spence between playing on clay and playing on grass. It's a it's a major, major difference in the way you play the game. And they they make that transition all the time in the spring, you know, from from the middle of June, you know, through the through the middle of July and going on grass over in Europe, and it's just it's a tougher game, it's a different game.
Speaker 1: Cocoa Goff became the third woman in the Open era to lose in the first round at Wimbledon after winning the championship of the French Open, So or a pretty rare thing. Novak Djokovic just one his ninety ninth Wimbledon match, which is third all time. So some fun tennis going on over at Wimbledon. Is that your is Wimbledon your favorite major championship.
Speaker 8: Well, no, I mean I I enjoy I just enjoy the tennis and you know it all. Had never been to Wimbledon. My wife Linda's been there, and you know, my brother in law and my nephew have been there. And I've been to Australian Open and the US Open a one hundred times over the because we go back every year for the US Open, but Indian Wells of course the last several years. But I haven't been to Wimbledon. That's on my list, and I can never go Spence because Wimbledon is always this time of year. So working for the Jazz, it was always the draft, going right into free agency, going right into summer league, so it was never a time we were able to go and travel and do that. So I'm looking forward to trying to do that in the next few years. But it's a fun, you know, traditional place. It's one of the one of the grand spots obviously in the sport.
Speaker 2: Of tennis for sure. All right, let's do the Jazz stuff this segment.
Speaker 1: We'll save the next segment for some of the big picture NBA free agency storylines. Of course, it's day two of NBA free agency and Smitty, You've been coming on the show now for a while and it feels like names like Sexton and Jordan Clarkson have come up and potential trade talks and conversations. Well, we learned what the market is for those two players, and the answer is not great. So let's start with the Sexton move. They had to attach a second round pick to the deal to get him to Charlotte in exchange for use of Nurkic, who is a VET that is a backup big at this point, what do you make of the deal, dude, san Colin Sexton and a second to Charlotte.
Speaker 8: Well, first of all, I'm a Sexton fan, and so I'm the wrong guy to ask, probably, you know, in that regard because he's even though I get, you know, they just drafted the Clayton kid and he's probably gonna take a bulk of those minutes, and they're still trying to figure out what can't they George is and and you know what the Williams kid is, and and a Collier and all that. So I get that that that part of it, But for me, Sexton is one of the guys who has proven he can play in this league. He was, He's gotten more efficient every year they been in the league. This past year, I thought he was very efficient, played a very tight game during the course of the year on a team that wasn't winning, in a team that didn't really care about winning, and he was one of the few guys who would go out and compete every night, in my opinion. And so, you know, I understand they're trying to get off his money, and I understand they're trying to get the young guys, you know, the playing time, and I get that part of it. But when you see him moving a guy who's actually proven that that he's has some value in the league in terms of how he plays and his production level, that's that's sometimes a head scratcher to me. But you know, okay, that's that's the way they're they're choosing to do their business right now.
Speaker 1: Were you surprised that they couldn't get more value for him or do you feel like they just wanted to, you know, find a new home for him and clear up time for the young gar.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not sure how to gauge that spence. You know, I think he's more valuable than that myself. But okay, they maybe they had their own time for they wanted to get out from under it before uh the free agency stuff started so they could figure out where they were at money wise and whatnot. I'm not I'm not convinced that Nurkic is gonna be part of uh, you know, what they're gonna try and do next year. I don't know if that was, you know, I'm not sure what the play was there, to be honest with you, unless unless they like Nurkic for some reason that that I don't see, and yeah, and uh you know, or they think he's gonna have more value to some playoff type team come February during the trade deadline, where somebody's gonna want, uh you know, a big that they can put in a lineup during rotations in the in the playoffs. Maybe that's what the the the longer play is here. But of course he's on an expiring contract next year as well, so you know, a worst case scenario, they have him on the team for this coming season, they get off him next summer, they got that money to use next summer and free agency stuff and they and they move on. So well, I think the whole thing with The Jazz is just a big, evolving, moving puzzle that they're going to constantly keep moving guys in and out of during this summer and into the fall and even during next season. I think these next twelve months are all to me going to be part of a big experiment under the Austin Ange direction to see how they set themselves up for the summer of twenty six and then moving forward. That's what That's what it feels like to me.
Speaker 1: So they essentially cut Jordan. They essentially cut Jordan Clarkson. Technically it was a buyout. If the numbers have in front of me are correct. That saved the Jazz about a million dollars in cash. So I have a couple of questions here. The reaction to the news that Jordan is no longer a jazz man. It's been really interesting to follow. People are genuinely sad that he's leaving. The trade that you guys made for him in retrospect was an excellent deal. You moved on them a couple of second rounders to Cleveland for Jordan comes here, wins six Man of the Year, played really well for Quinn, last holdover from that group. So just wonder what your thoughts are that they've decided to move on from him in the way that they did. He's going to be a nick and maybe you can provide some color and context as far as what he meant to the Jazz organization.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that I think it's not surprising to me. I think they've been trying to do that for a year now. I think they finally got to it. You know, they found away with Jordan. They couldn't do anything during the season last year. They couldn't find anybody to bite on this deal that had you know, obviously last season in this coming season under contract, you know, added add an okay number in today's NBA terms at fourteen million a year. You know, I'm not surprised at all that they you know, they decided to move on from him. You know, it was just a matter of getting him, figuring out a way to do what they could find a trade partner they liked apparently, so they worked a deal with him to get a buyout so he could get the freedom to move to a team where he feels he can add something to a contending team and give himself a little bit more spark and a little more life. On the court for a team that's trying to win and trying to be competitive night in the night out, and you know, and the Jazz get out from some money. And that's the whole play here. And look, that was the play really when they signed him to this deal that they did a couple of years ago, because they front loaded that deal at twenty four I think it was at twenty five the first year, and then fourteen and fourteen, so the whole deal was set up so that they could move him at some point during the last two years. It just took him a year to figure out how to do it. They didn't get a trade partner, so they did the buy out thing. Saved themselves a little money. Clarkson gets to decide where he's gonna go instead of being put in a trade, so it kind of works out for everybody. I'm always surprised players are willing to give up, you know, any money, you know, in some kind of a buyout situation. I've never understood why players would do that, but I guess that's what you do when you just get to some point in your life where, oh I have enough money, that's okay, I'll just leave some on the table. You can take it and I'm going to go out the side door. Okay, I guess.
Speaker 1: And it really just begs the question as far as what's next, and to underscore the points that you're essentially making. It just it feels like Austin as the primary decision maker has just decided they're going to clear the deck and next year it's weird smitty and we should acknowledge that Austin is a recent higher So some of the messaging from the front office last year probably is not the messaging from the front office this year, but one of their cliched lines and I heard Xanik say this, I heard Danny say this, I heard Will say this is they kept saying pups can't raise pups. Okay, so last year was kind of like Patty Mills Drew u Banks will bring in some locker room vets to help these young players learn how to be pros. Feels like there's a paradigm shift. It feels like pups this year will very much be raising pups because it looks like what we're going to see is just all these young kids playing a lot of minutes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I imagine they will and uh, you know, there's something that said to be said for veteran leadership. They're helping young guys learn how to do it. I guess. I mean, look, we just Joe Ingles is going to go back to Minnesota another three and we know Joe, you know, I'm not sure he has anything left in the guess tank, but but obviously Minnesota sees him as being a valuable member of their group. With this group, with the Jazz, I don't know, you know, the Patty Mills thing that drew you Banks, and I don't. I don't. I never got that anyway, especially when they're they're you know, they're everybody knows that they're not trying to win games. So that makes it difficult if you're a veteran to try and get to get the point across the guys about you know, this is how we conduct ourselves. This is how we go about our business every day, working hard in practice, staying late, arriving early in the weight room, whatever it is. And and and guys are asking in the middle of the game like like, uh, you know, to do what what are we doing? We we're gonna lose by twenty anyway, What's what's the difference. So that that's a very tough, uh complex thing that I think is just very difficult for an organization to manage, you know, and keep everybody going the right direction. You're either you're either trying to put your best foot forward and you're trying to to to to do the best you can every night, or or you got a different agenda and guys learn learn things differently, and they they certainly uh get can get into good habits, and they also can get into bad habits on what your organization is asking you to do from one moment to the next. So you know, we'll see, I mean, the Jazz just they're they're in this great uh flux area right now, and they've got new new sheriff in town, as they say, and you know, we'll see again. But Austin ain't just isn't trying to pull the Donald Trump thing. You know, he's not like what man on an island trying to run everything. You know, He's got valuable guys with him in the room, not the least of which of course is his dad. And he's got a very involved owner and so that plays into it somehow. And uh but they got a lot of guys in there voicing, you know, opinions about what they should do and how they should be handling their guys and all that. But it's no uh, it's no secret and it shouldn't be that that that they're gonna play their young guys a lot of minutes and have them in some kind of set rotation as the season starts in terms of minutes and responsibilities and seeing, you know, what these guys can can figure out going forward.
Speaker 2: So it brings us to John Collins.
Speaker 1: That's the next name tone in on, and we'll get to some others because I honestly don't know how this is going to play out. Twenty six point five mil expiring this year. This is the first time they've had him with an expiring contract. I don't know how much of that plays into the ability to move on from him. You can make an argument, Smitty that last year was his best year as a pro, maybe second to the year he had in Atlanta before he got his big contract. But if you're if you're a GM and you're running a team and Austin calls you and says, what about John Collins, what do you say?
Speaker 8: Well, first of all, you know John Collins has a big number for what John Collins does.
Speaker 2: Yep, right now in the NA Now.
Speaker 8: He played very well last year my opinion, on a team that wasn't trying to play well. So I give him credit for that. He's a he's a big guy. He's a guy who can play inside and outside. It depends on the team, It depends on who else they got on the floor with him playing. You know, I have to I have to admit I liked him better last year than I did the previous couple of years. I was never a big John Collins guy. I always thought, you know, he played in second gear and never really was busting it out on the floor. But but last year I thought he played well, uh, you know, for for most of the year on a team where it was difficult to play well and to put your best foot forward. And so you know, they're gonna have to try and find a team that that is willing to uh to take on his money. I don't know who wants to do that. The Jazz may have to try and do something, you know, where they're willing to take on keep you know, taking on some of the money and do some kind of a deal with that with somebody. It's gonna be difficult to move him, I think, merely because of the money that he makes. So they're gonna have to have something involving his money and how they handled that if they in fact want to move on from him.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you about the other transactions just because they were made. We might have ten seconds for each of them. They wave Johnny, they wave Johnny Jews.
Speaker 8: Come see now, now that shows you're not being serious. What do you watch stuff like that? Do you know?
Speaker 1: Like I mean, well, I mean was there did you think there was a place for him at the end of the bench.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, I've never been at Johnny Jusion guy. You know, all these G League guys they've been playing the last year or so. You know again, you know, we can debate that all we want about, you know, why they have a G League team if they're using the Jazz as their G League team. But okay, that's that's what they're the route that they're choosing to go, and so far the fans are going along with it because the fans are paying full boat money to come see a G League team play on the floor. Okay, you know, you guys want to do that, go ahead, you know, I don't know how long that will last, you know, but that that's what they've been doing. And guys like juw Zang and U Banks and Micah Potter and whatever, they're just you know, they're they're like seat fillers at the Oscar Oscars to me, you know, I mean, they're just not you're not getting anywhere. You're spinning your tires, that's my opinion. Now that's probably why I'm sitting in the radio station instead of being over in their meetings, you know. So that's you know, that's the way they're they're they're going about their business.
Speaker 1: Oh you just gave me ninety seconds on Johnny jew Zang. I didn't think we'd be able to do that.
Speaker 8: Hey, you know, well look he was very good. He had a very nice career at UCLA, you know, after transferring from Kentucky and and played himself well and got himself some NBA money. Okay, I don't know if he'll get an NBA job. He's really a EuroLeague A type player to me, and where you can have a nice career, you know, as we've seen a lot of our local guys, you know, Jac Carroll being one of them having a terrific career Real Madrid for a decade, and Johnny Juzang should be over there, you know, with one of those teams. That's my opinion. But you know, I'm not his agent, and and I'm certainly not in an NBA team that might try and and give him another chance.
Speaker 1: And equally compelling news they've guaranteed the deals Fema Kai Luke this year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I don't know what to say about that either, Right, that's another that's another placeholder. I'm not I'm not sure what that what that's about. He's probably a good guy, you know. I mean again, I watched him play when he was fifteen sixteen over in Europe. He hasn't gotten any better. He's just, you know, he's just a guy out there every now and then he makes a couple of shots in the game. Okay, and uh and again. But he's a guy who could be having a much bigger career and a more substantial one if he chose to play over in Europe where he's from. And he may end up doing that at some point, but the Jazz have decided at least to guarantee his kind of now that may be something where they just want to keep his contract, you know, in their back pocket in case they have to use it as a filler in some kind of other move where they have to either take back money or give money or something like that. So they could also be a play like that down the road as well.
Speaker 1: All right, So it brings us into this space where, you know, all we can do is read the riding on the wall here and try to read the tea leaves where Clarkson is gone, Sexton is gone every time I open up anything about what could be next. And the jazzer mentioned everyone says they're talking to teams about John Collins. Do you think they're talking to teams about marketing? Do you think they're having conversations about Lowry? I don't know if they're having any active conversations. I haven't heard anything from any of my sources around the NBA about that kind of stuff going on. I think they would certainly entertain any conversation about any guy based on the current status of the team. And that is something that there's still there's still at the starting line and they're still waiting, you know, for the gun to go off to start the race, and they're still trying to formulate what they're they're team looks like in that regard. So, you know, I don't think marketing is untouchable. I don't think Kessel is untouchable. You know, any of their guys certainly would be in a conversation based on what other teams are looking at or what they would have to offer, and how the how the Jazz headed up now by the main decision maker being Austin Age, how they view what they're trying to do in terms of the overall makeup of their group.
Speaker 2: Hello, so I have the I have the Jazz payroll in front of me.
Speaker 8: Okay, I got to ask.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask a question before I ask what I want to ask to make sure that my understanding is correct is correct? Is it possible that they have a team option on Taylor Hendricks after this year?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Well yeah, Well, the way that the NBA contracts work, the rookie contracts are four year deals. The first two years are guaranteed, the third year is a team option, and the fourth year is a team option. So the team decides in the third and fourth year of a rookie deal whether they want to keep that rookie for another year or not. So that's how they work.
Speaker 2: Is it possible to have a team option on Cody next year?
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah again, because those contracts are for four years. The first two are guaranteed, the third is is not guaranteed, the fourth is not guaranteed. So the team has the option to pick up if they want to keep the player on. They can pick up that option early in the fall for the for the year ahead, so they can they can do that if they choose to do it. This is the Jimmer for Debt deal Spence where for Debt had was taken by Sacramento in the first round in fact ten, just like Cody Williams was, and Sacramento decided after the second year they they didn't think Jimmer was good enough, they didn't want to pick up the team option, so they just let him go and the year at the summer, after his second year in the league, he became an unrestricted free agent.
Speaker 1: So in a wasteman because they also have team options on Keyante, Bryce Sensiba, and Isaiah Collier.
Speaker 8: That's correct.
Speaker 2: So five team options on these young players.
Speaker 8: That's all just because they're all under rookie rookie scale contracts for the first four years they're in the NBA.
Speaker 1: So this is kind of a bigger year for these five young players. And maybe we fully understand because the Jazz can make a decision on THO as early as next season.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well they could have, like for example, they picked up the option earlier on Kiante George. Okay, so you're allowed to do that, but just say, in a hypothetical situation, they Isaiah Collier just finished his first year, so he's got this next year coming up. Is guaranteed the Jazz can pick up the third year option. They have certain dates that they can. They can do that and get that under their belt. Sometimes you do that just to let the player know, hey, we're with you, we're gonna work with you, or whatever time, if you know, in the Jimmer for that case, you know, just say, hypothetically, Collier comes in, he's out of shape, he's he's gained weight, he's whatever. They don't like the way he shows up in training camp in the fall, they decide to hold off on picking up his third year option. They go into the middle of the season, he's not getting better, he's getting giving him some kind of attitude whatever. They can decide, hey, I'm not sure we got a guy we want to hang around with or keep, and so they can just wait it out, and then the end of next year they could say, hey, we're not gonna pick up the third year team option and we're just gonna let him go, and then they get out of the obligation all together, and now they let the kid move on, and then the team can move on. So that's why it's set up where those third and fourth years on the rookie scale contracts, the team controls whether they still want you as quote part of their team or part of their development program, and they want to keep you around doing that. And then at the end of the fourth year you become a restricted free agent. Now the team may give you an offer. You may accept it and extend that rookie deal and you can do that into the fifth, six, seventh year, or the team can say, like they did the Jazz did with Gordon Hayward, you know we're going to offer you just this amount. Gordon Hayward thought you should get more. The Jazz said, go out and get an offer from somebody and bring it back if you can. Gordon Hayward went out got an offer from the Charlotte Hornets for fifteen million a year. Comes back, says, I got an offer from Charlotte for fifteen million. You offered me ten, and the Jazz had seventy two hours to match it, and of course they didn't want to lose him. So in that regard, the Jazz say, we're gonna match that because you're a restricted free agent and they get to keep him. And they said, in this negotiation, in this moment in time, Gordon, you you won the debate because we tried to pay you ten and you went out and forced us to pay you fifteen by getting an offer from someone else. That's how it works. That's why we say in the current setup of the collective partying agreement, the first half of a player's career the minimum seven years, if the team wants you, they have control of you, no matter what you want to do as a player. The second half of your career, if you have a say, fifteen year career, like Gordon Hayward did, he's the perfect example of how it works, where the team controls the player's career the first half of it, and then the player controls what he wants to do in the second half of the of the career.
Speaker 2: Do you think that made Gordon mad?
Speaker 8: I don't know. I don't know if it made him mad, I would say this, Gordon and his dad are very smart guys. You know, Gordon is one of the smarter players that we've had through the Jazz over the years. Runs of practicality, and you know, he was smart enough. And and his agent, Mark Bartlestein, who's who's you know, a very well respected and very good guy and an honest guy. You know, he said, hey, we're gonna we're gonna go out and try and get an offer to get Gordon more money. That's his job, okay. And Gordon's sitting there going yeah, okay, yeah, I'd like to get more money if I can. And they went out and they got Charlotte. Now Charlotte had to make that commitment. So there was a period of seventy two hours where Charlotte, if the Jazz say yeah, that's too rich for our blood, we're out. Now Charlotte's got him. So Charlotte had to come to the table with that offer and make sure we want the guy in case, you know, Utah turns it down. We got him at that number, and of course the Jazz ended up accepting that number and he stayed with the Jazz for another three years. But that's that's how the CBA works, and that's how that's how all these players. They're under contract to the team for those first four years with those third and fourth year team options. That's always that's the way it's been for for for many many years now. So the team controls and they're looking at you in practice and they're looking to see, yeah, Spence checkets he is. Do we want to keep them around for third year? Do we want them a fourth year? And and the team controls that and uh, and then after that then then you get into the restrictive free agent stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, Before we catch a break, we'll wrap up the Jazz portion of our hit with Smittee today with just to follow up based off of all of these players, Isaiah Callier, Rice Sen, Sabah Caanty, George Cody Williams, Taylor Hendricks are technically entering what could be the final year of their deal with the Jazz could be technically Yeah, do you think any of them are in danger of not being brought back?
Speaker 8: That's a good question. I think, uh, I think those are probably guys that again, what's gonna be interesting play on it, Spence, now is that, you know, even though there's the obvious, you know, ange family connection on that, you know, was Danny Ainge who selected these guys parenthetically in the draft. He's the final decision maker during those drafts. Now, Austin Ainge is the one who's in charge. Maybe Austin Ainge says, hey, Dad, I love you, but the guy you chose last year he stinks, you know, and I don't like him yea. And so they have a disagreement about that. And so you know, there's always a scenario where they could they could, you know, sit there in the room and go, I just don't think the guy's good enough, and I think we made a mistake. And sometimes when you like the Sacramento Kings and the Gym of for Debt example, sometimes you have to just step up to the table and admit to yourself and to everybody around we made a mistake, we made the wrong call, okay, and we cut our losses and we moved. Sometimes teams don't like to do that because teams don't don't want to admit they made a mistake, and they don't want to admit that, oh, I had an error in judgment in that regard. And so a lot of times it's very rare that you see a team not pick up the third year option or the fourth year option on a player that they drafted, because the teams are trying to make sure that they squeeze all the water out of that stone and they make guy a full run to show us whether he can contribute and and continue playing in the NBA. And you know, sometimes sometimes teams will hold on to guys longer than they should, just because they're trying to make sure they give the player every opportunity to improve and to get better.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll catch a break coming up next, we'll move off the jazz and just talk more big picture stuff and of course, if anything down one we're on air, we'll bring it to you. Damian Lillard has been stretched and waved, and the Milwaukee Bucks have acquired Miles Turner. Some other interesting storylines, including Quinn Snyder being reunited with the player he had in Utah. We just didn't play Atlanta making some moves, Denver making some moves, Houston making some moves. We'll do some big picture NBA with Smitty coming up on the other side of a Tuesday edition of The Drive.
Speaker 2: Right here on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 7: Miss something from the Shan O'Connell Show, No worries, Just visit ESPN seven hundred sports dot com or search the Shaun O'Connell Show wherever you get great podcasts. You are listening to a Drive with Spence checkets on Kall North Salt Lake kxrk HD three, ESPN seven hundred and ninety two to one f M. Download the ESPN seven hundred f for free. Today.
Speaker 2: We got some breaking.
Speaker 1: News, but don't get too excited. Duncan Robinson has agreed to a three year, forty eight million deal with the Detroit Pistons.
Speaker 8: What do you think, Svinny, Yeah, well I can see I can see Dennis Lindsay's fingers all over that. Duncan Robinson a good play with length and he's a very good open shooter. And the Pistons have money. So another guy that they're adding to the young group that can provide some spacing for Cave Cunningham off the pick and midpick and roll to get in the lane, and Robinson can be one of those guys spotting up on the wing or down in the corner, you know, having that three ball threat. So you know, a good a good spot for them, a good way for them to spend some of the money that they have under the cap.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's move over to what Milwaukee decided to do today with Damian Lillard, who played his college ball for Randy Rages up the way. It's what's called a stretch provision, and they waived him. And so from what I'm reading, and he'll be on the books for the next five years at about twenty f three million dollars. Optically, when you see that Damian Lillard has been waived by an NBA team, you're like, wait, what that is a wild, wild decision. Now, of course he will miss all the next year recovering from an injury. This way, he does get all of his money over the course of a certain amount of time, and he can pick where he wants to go next, whether it's his final act or the next act. But take us through the mentality of a front office. They also utilize the flexibility that they were able to get with this deal to acquire Miles Turner from Indiana and the Bucks and the Pacers. Not a lot of love lost there, so kind of an interesting day for them.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, what the the Bucks do is they replace brook Lopez with Miles Turner. So a little bit younger guy, a little bit springier, a guy, a little bit livelier, a body in the middle, a guy you can shoot fairly decently from the outside, you know, about the same as brook Lopez, but he's a little more active, and that allows them to play a guy basically is going to do the same stuff, you know, within reason that brook Lopez did h for Jiannis to support Jannis, you know, in that core in in Milwaukee, for Damian Lillard. This is a provision that's provided in the collective bargain agreement where teams make a mistake or if it's a mistake or something like this, where where they have a guy who's gonna be injured and is getting paid a lot of money and they just want to get out of it somehow. Your teams can now have what they call the stretch provision where they can waive a guy and then they take his total salary ode and they can stretch it over any period of time from one to five years. So Obviously, teams are gonna usually stretch it out to five, and that means they just chop it up in five equal segments, and that's what goes on their books in terms of salary cap purposes for luxury taxes and penalties and all that kind of stuff. So they're gonna be paying Damian Lillard around twenty two, twenty three million or whatever it is a year for the next five years to sit at his beach house in Portland or do whatever he's gonna do. He's gonna rehab, He's gonna take this next year off. He's one of the hardest working guys in the NBA. And I know that personally. I've seen him. I've seen him do it for years, and we knew that coming into the draft when he got drafted. He's one of the guys you want with around your group because he is a true professional in every regard. So in that way, he's gonna work this next year. He's gonna work to get himself back as much as he can, and then he's gonna try and find a team, whether it's the end of next year, depending on how quickly his rehab goes, if he can get into the playoffs with a team that can use his services in a playoff run type situation. If it's not, then it would be next summer when he'd be full. You would think he would be fully healthy and then be able to look around and try and find a team that he thinks he can help, that he thinks he can add to their championship hopes. So he would be looking around at that point in time, I think for a select handful of teams that give him the best chance of maybe making a long run, you know, potentially to the NBA Finals and trying to win a championship near the end of his career. So that's what I kind of would think would be kind of the game plan that he would try and mark out for himself.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move over to the West for some teams that I think have made some interesting strides in the right direction. As we've already discussed the Utah Jazz and kind of what they're trying to do throughout the course of this offseason, I think we need to start with Houston, who of course acquires Kevin Durants were they extended Jabari, they gave him a five year deal. Van Vliet is locked in and then I'm not sure what's happening in Los Angeles, but Dorian Finney Smith is a good player, four years fifty three, mil Clint Cappella. You know they already have Steven Adams on the roster, I mean the Vegas odds, and I know you love this second best team in the West as of now, and there's plenty of time between now in the fall. But what do you make of Houston kind of going all in to expedite their process.
Speaker 8: Well, the the you know, what they're smart and is that they've got a guy who they know can can produce and be a lead guy in in in tough playoff situations. So that's Kevin Durant. So now they got these young guys, you know, and you know, look, Steven Adams is a vet, Clint Capella is a VET. Dorian Finney Smith has been around, he's a vet. So you've got these guys who have experienced playoffs experience to match up with the younger group of guys led by Shongoon who's twenty two years old, Jabari Smith who's twenty two years old, I'm and Thompson is twenty two. Then you put that you mix them in with Cam Whitmore, and then of course they resigned Fred van Vliet as well, And so you've got a good mix of veterans and young guys, and they're trying to get something done the next couple of years while they've got Kevin Durant in the fold and still playing at the highest of levels. So that's that's what they've figured out, and they figured out the money that they can get this done with. And so they've gone all in on trying to figure to see if they can challenge the Okcs and the Denvers and the Golden States of the Western Conference the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: I wonder real quick, going back to this Turner deal, if you're a Pacers fan, you were in Game seven of the finals ten days ago, like Halliburton's also going to miss time, What do you think is going on with the Indiana front office? Are are they kind of viewing next year the way Boston is without Tatum? It just it caught me off guard because I'm looking at what the Pacers just did, I'm looking at the East Wide Open.
Speaker 2: No halliburtn changes their equation.
Speaker 1: Ten days ago, they were in Game seven of the NBA Finals and Miles Turner as a buck.
Speaker 8: And you can look at it a lot of different ways. Spence. One is to say, hey, yeah, we got to Game seven, We had forty eight minutes to possibly win the NBA Championship. Didn't go our way. But we also have to be objective and look at how we got to game seven, and that was with a lot of good play during the playoffs, but also a lot of good fortune during the playoffs and different series where the ball literally bounced their way several times they got them, you know, a win in a playoff series that propelled them to go on to the next round of the playoffs. So they may be looking at it saying, yeah, we we had a good run. We had a lot of things go our way. We had the tough injury in the last game. Yeah it didn't quite work out that way. But we can't fool ourselves into thinking we're really that good in that regard. And and so we have to step back and make sure we're assessing our team fairly. And that also unfortunately involves in not having a Tyrese Haliburton next season on our playing roster. And so that's that's one thing we have to look at and assess in a way that makes sense for us in the short term, but also going forward in the long term what it means to us.
Speaker 1: Oftentimes there's this debate that rage is about. You know, who's the best local college player that has made his way towards uh, the NBA in professional basketball. And I don't know who the best is, but I know who the richest is, as Jaka Peertle has signed the richest contract in the history of any player that has played as college. But here one hundred and four million dollar extension for Yakaperla. I wonder back when he was here how you scouted him, what sort of player you thought he would be in your thoughts that he continues to play at a high level and Toronto obviously very values him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's uh, you know, I thought he'd be a solid pro and I think that's what he is. I don't think he's an All star level player, but I think he's a good starting center in the NBA. He he works hard, he's a good teammate, he's he's a good locker room guy. You know, while this looks like a lot of money, basically twenty five twenty six million dollars a year for the next four years. You know. That's unfortunately, that's the going rate, you know for regular guys. Now, if you look across the landscape of the NBA and with this new TV contract, in the new salary cap, that's that's in play now, that's just gonna keep creeping up. And so guys like Yaka Pertle, it can be in the right place at the right time and they can cash in on a deal like that. That doesn't doesn't you know, people tend to interpret someone getting money with them going to come out the next year and give us an increased value of production. That's usually not the case. What you're doing is you're just paying the guy because that's the going rate, to keep him on your team for what your hope is is going to be some kind of uh, improved play by the group as a whole. Yaka Pertle is a very nice player. He's Toronto obviously likes him.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 8: They drafted him, they traded him, they got him back. Now they're now they're committing to him. Uh, you know with this new four year deal, and that's and again that's part of what they're We did try to establish as a core group there in Toronto. Obviously, now without Messiu Shii leading them in that regard and with Bobby Webster, the longtime general manager at the moment making those those decisions.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do a quick I do want to talk about what the Atlanta Hawks have elected to do and our old buddy Quinn Snyders coaching that team. And I told you this before San Antonio Oklahoma City. You know, there are certain decision makers in the league where they do something and I'm just like, Okay, it makes sense because that's who they are, and that's the reputation they've earned.
Speaker 2: Four years.
Speaker 1: Forty one million dollars for Luke Cornette feels like a lot of money, though, yeah, for this San Antonio Spurs, but they get a legitimate backup to Wembanyama insurance if wemban Yama has more health issues. And San Antonio adds Dylan Harper via the draft, and they obviously have the back to back Rookie of the Year winners with Weman Yama and Stefan Castle. But what do you make of San Antonio paining Luke Cornette forty one million dollars over four years?
Speaker 8: I think that's a lot of money for what Luca Cornett does. He's an active player, he's long, he's can move somewhat not great, but he uh he plays hard when he's out there. He can uh, he can hit an occasional shot, but he's more of a serviceable big man. Ten million dollars seems like it's a lot of money for someone like him. You can get guys like him in my opinion, Uh, you know, at a lesser number, but they they have some money to spend. They like him. It's not it's good. It's not gonna be a big number. Two years from now when he's in the third year of the deal, he's still making ten million, so it may look even better than so. But he's he's a player that they they wanted to go out and add to their core group. It's again, it feels like a lot of money for someone like him and what he does to me. Uh, But in the great scheme of things, it's not a lot of money to secure a guy that you think adds to your group. Culturally. He's a good guy in the locker room, he's a good guy you know, on the practice floor, and he's someone who's going to add to how you want to try and do things in San Antonio.
Speaker 1: Another local story, but not involving the Utah Jazz. And anybody who knows anything knows that the Bountiful Braves are known for developing good looking guys that can really shoot it.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 1: And so Sammy Merrill another contract, four years, thirty eight million dollars for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Speaker 8: So they call that, I think in circles they call that the Bountiful Spence check its number, well said, So that's that's right around that area. But you know, happy for Sam. Look, he's bounced around on a number of teams. He was the last guy taking in his draft a year. He's had to go through the G league route a few times, he's been out of jobs a few times. He's been one of those guys who has one foot in, one foot out. He's stuck with it again. Another guy that to me might have been I can't say better served because obviously he just got this deal now with a very competitive NBA team that likes him and that uses him in their rotation. So he's gonna be making nine million a year the next four years. You know, he could have a bigger role on a EuroLeague team and be very competitive playing in Europe, but he'd probably only be making two or three million. And so, you know, for him, he's stuck with it. He believed in himself, he worked at it. He's a great you know, he's an A plus guy as we all know, and you know he's a little bit of a one trick pony at the NBA level, but he's managed to figure out how to do that at a level that allows him to contribute to a very good team and to fit in with the group of guys that they have and spends all the time we talk about the fact that it's not just this isn't a one on one tournament in the NBA. You got to be part of a group of a team that's trying to be on the same page to try and affect winning and trying to move your team forward. And Cleveland obviously values him as one part of their equation for playing winning basketball in the role that he provides them, and so it's a it's a great, a great moment for Sam. It couldn't be happier for him and his family because he's really earned it and really put himself in this position Denver.
Speaker 1: We should talk about Denver because I feel like, well, first of all, they had they have Jokich, so they're just going to be relevant because they have who I think is the best player in the world right now. But they have been criticized over the past couple of years for letting contributors walk instead of going into luxury tax or second Apron, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: And they made three.
Speaker 1: Pretty interesting moves. First, they trade Michael Porter Junior in an unprotected first round pick in twenty thirty two. Now it's twenty twenty five, so nobody knows. In twenty thirty two, yok which should be thirty seven, so we'll see what Brooklyn's.
Speaker 2: Able to grab.
Speaker 1: Their They bring in Cam Johnson, who was a son for a minute, and I think there's a lot to like about Cam Johnson. And then they bring back Bruce Brown, who was a key member of their championship team a few years ago. And look, I'm not a huge Tim Hardaway junior guy, but if he's your ninth or tenth guy, I think you're doing all right.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the three moves Denvers made, Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think they they've done. They brought back a guy who they know and they can fit in seamlessly with how they play. And that's Bruce Brown. They made the switch with Michael Porter and brought in Cam Johnson, you know, not quite as big as Porter, but maybe maybe does the same kind of stuff, you know, within reason for for how they their group operates. Of course in that you know, by Addie those guys in the mix, you know, to to go with the guys they already have in Gordon and and Jokic and Murray, those guys you know, can fit in with what they do and how they're trying to do it. And of course, uh, they've got the emerging player Christian Brown, who I think you know, it gives them something. And then also they you know, they brought in uh both Jonas Valentunas uh and they got him in the trade now uh to bring him in as a backup. He's a very good be a very good backup for jo Kich and may be able to give him some extra minutes from game to game, which would be interesting to them. And then uh, and and then I believe they're bringing out they bringing it back Russell Westbrook.
Speaker 1: That's not what is officials. They've also traded Dario Sarage for Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, they've traded Sharge for for Valentnis Uh and they're getting him, you know, to be Jokich's backup, which is smart because he can take extra minutes he can meaning he can play, you know, maybe more backup minutes than the Denver backups have been doing for Jokic, so can give him more time off the court during games, which you will extend him during the course of the season. So when he gets to April and May and hopefully June for them, you know, he's played fewer minutes that year, and maybe he'll have more gas in the tank come playoff.
Speaker 2: Time Final one.
Speaker 1: Smidtey, Yeah, I think this is fascinating because the Atlanta Hawks have a coach named Quinn Snyder, and once upon a time, Quinn Snyder had a player named nkil Alexander Walker who could not get off the bench. Quinn seemed to prefer Royce O'Neil and some other players. Ni kil Alexander Walker goes to Minnesota, has a really good run playoffs Game two, three, and four. You had like fifty two points on nineteen and thirty two shooting. Once Minnesota brought back NAS Reed and Julius Randall. It looked like Nikio was out of their price range, and the Kiel Alexander Walker lands in Atlanta to play for Quinn again. They make the deal last week for Kristaps for Zeus, Terrence Man goes to Brooklyn, George Niang former buddy around here, goes to Boston, and then they also bring in Luke Canard from the Minnesota or achieved me from the Memphis Grizzlies. So again, as we've talked about, the East, certainly feels like it is pretty wide open. I don't know if you think Atlanta has put themselves in the mix, but some interesting movement from the Atlanta Hawks.
Speaker 8: No, they've they've They've added some players that will help them, some guys who will be very good players, maybe starting, but certainly rotational type guys. And u ni Kiel, He'll he'll come in. He'll give him good rotation minutes. He's a good role player who can play multiple positions. Of course, Luke Canard is one of the better shooters in the league. Then he has had that experience to be able to extend defenses. They have the new draft pick that you know they got last week, Ason Newell out of Georgia, who I think has a chance to be a pretty good player if Porzingis is healthy. He's got one year left, so he's kind of like on a trial basis with them to see what he can do during the course of the year and if he can stay healthy. And of course they had the number one pick two years ago, Zacharysache, who's still a guy who's learning, who's developing. So they have a nice mix of guys there all around Trey Young, who controls all the action from the point guard position, so you know, a nice mix of guys there. Of course, again Atlanta dealing with the front office change of their own, so they have some different decision makers there now and we'll see how that plays out for Quinn Snyder and his group.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you one more question only because I just received my fifth text message of the day about this and I know the answer to it. So don't get mad at me, don't put me in my corner. There's nothing that makes sense about the Jazz and Dame Lillard, right, there's nothing that makes sense about Dame Lillard signed with Utah Jazz for either the Jazz or Dame.
Speaker 8: That would be correct in my opinion. I mean, there's no I mean, Damian Lillard is gonna he's gonna be taken next year to to rehab, to get his leg right, get all that stuff straightened out. He'll do that because he's that kind of a worker. And then my opinion, I would assume that he would then be in a position to be able to look around the league and target three, four, five teams that he thinks he could add to, either as the starter, depending on what a particular team situation is, or you know, as a valuable rotation, backup guy to try and get somebody over the hump in a playoff situation. You know, is that you know, might be too late for somebody like the Lakers. But just as a hypothetical example, maybe a year from now, if he's if he rehabs well enough and he's ready to go next March or April, maybe maybe he looks at the Lakers and go he says, hey, I can go with Lebron James and Luka Doncic and those guys and I can help them in the spring, you know, make something happen, or maybe you know, he go somewhere else for one of these other teams and tries to give them some help again either as their starter or off the bench, to try and help them make an extended playoff run towards a potential championship.
Speaker 1: Well, Smithy, I think today was the day you finally became a pro at radio. You gave me five minutes on Johnny Jusang being waived and sphe m kay Luke's contract picking up that.
Speaker 2: That's called filibustering. And if you can't do that, you can't do this job.
Speaker 8: So bravos, sir, see that, and you can throw any name you want to spend that meeting. If I don't know it, yeah, I certainly will have two minutes that I just make up on the fly.
Speaker 2: That's part of that's part of the job.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: Hey, great to see you. We'll get you back soon. Okay, thanks many, Richard Smith. Day two of NBA Free Agencies. Get over to the five o'clock hour of the program coming up in just a little bit, bringing Kyle Bondaguerro from ESPN the latest on the Jake retz lav situation at by U University of Utah. Locks in a nice commit today for the twenty twenty sixth class. We'll be in Dallas or I guess Frisco technically next week for Big twelve media days. But let's do a little more jazz. It's been a while, but our good friend from the Destrat News, Sarah Todd, stops by on a Tuesday afternoon. Sarah, Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 9: How are you happy Tuesday? Since Tuesday? What a beautiful day it is.
Speaker 1: It is a beautiful day, and we've got a lot to do with you because it's been a minute since we've been able to connect.
Speaker 2: So we'll start with the little jazz draft stuff.
Speaker 1: And I just wonder what your understanding is of this narrative surrounding Ace at Ace Bailey, who the Jazz landed on a number five and the whole Hey, he doesn't want to be here, his camp doesn't want him to be in Salt Lake City, and then there's rumors that he won't report all of the things, and I can't cooperate any of them. But your thoughts on the jazz drafting Ace and your understanding of the narrative surrounding that selection.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think that what I expected to happen is what happened, right like once once Ace Bailey was here. Once you get in the building, you know, once the zeros behind the dollar sign are made clear on the rookie contract, and everything else kind of falls into place. And that's how I kind of expected this to play out. I didn't expect him to not report. It's my understanding that the top five team that he was rumored to have his team to have not said that he would report to was not the Utah Jazz, But you know, that's neither here nor there at this point, right. But I think that the biggest thing that I can say is that the narrative that kind of started to formulate about maybe Ace being entitled and not really you know, knowing how this process works and being like an arrogant kid, that it was expecting too much. That's the part that I didn't appreciate, because you know, we're talking about an eighteen year old kid. We're talking about a literal teenager who had people in his corner handling his business, and that they were the ones that were representing him and speaking on behalf for him during the pre draft process. And I think that that was all done in a very misguided fashion. And now we move on from it.
Speaker 1: As far as what you think he can be as a player for the Jazz as he grows. I mean, it's gonna be tough because there are very few eighteen year olds in our name Lebron James that step in.
Speaker 2: And look like they're ready.
Speaker 1: But and we'll get to some of the decisions that have already been made, it does indicate that there should be plenty of minutes for him.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of fans are excited about that.
Speaker 1: So I'll ask a two parter, what do you think it looks like immediately and what should Jazz fans hope it looks like eventually?
Speaker 9: Immediately? Probably not gonna look great, right, you said it. There's not a lot of guys that come into this league and look perfect and ready and you know, polished right away. But I think that prior to Draft night, on the Utah Jazz roster, there was probably not a single player on the roster, but Jazz fans could have gone out and got his jersey and been like, yes, this is going to be a guy that's going to be a part of the future, no questions asked. Right, Even if we're talking about guys like Lowry, Markinen and Walker Kessler, those are not guarantees, like the Jazz are going to hear offers that come in for them and if one makes sense, they'll make it. And so there and like the young guys on this roster currently, like, yeah, there's been some flashes of potential, but there's nothing that we've seen at this point that says like absolutely no questions asked. Isaiah Collier is a building block for the future, right, Like there's just not a player on the team, And so then Draft night comes in. Ace Dailey is someone that has potential to be a clear building block, So like, what could we see in the future. This kid could be really good. He has all star potential, and we don't don't know if he's going to reach that feeling. We don't know what's going to happen, and that's part of like the risk of all of this and building teams. But if you're looking towards like what the Jazz are trying to do, he could be one of the certain building blocks.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way, And I also feel like this fan base has been a little and look it, we should be very clear, Sarah, as you and I visit throughout the course of the off season then into next season, this appears that it will be another very long year from a standpoint of wins and losses, But at least there's like a plan starting to formulate a little bit. And I do feel like there's genuine excitement in the community for jazz fans about what Ace could eventually be.
Speaker 2: Are you getting kind of the same vibe?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I mean I think that you know me and you both said when you know Austin Ainge was hired and the question was asked why Sean O'Connell, like, you know, what's your philosophy on manipulating player minutes and availability in order to tank? And he said, you won't see that this year. The sub tweet on that was because we won't have the players on the roster that we need to manipulate their minutes, right, And that's what we're seeing. You don't need to sit Jordan Clarkson out anymore because they've bought out his contract. You don't need to worry about sitting a healthy Colin Sexton because they've traded him. Now that you bring in use of Nurkic and a lot of fans see that and they think, why would you give up like a twenty six year old guy who's really efficient shooter for someone who's basically like a washed backup center. Well, because the Jazz don't want to win, that's why. And so they got what they wanted out of that deal. They got the exact amount of expiring money that Colin Sexton would have been on, and they got someone that they don't have to worry about sitting on the bench when he's healthy. And so I think that you're yes, Jazz fans are absolutely in for another long season. It's not going to be very good, but at least you are going to see exactly what we have out of all of the young guys there is. There will be no lack of opportunity for them to get on the floor and they're going to be competing against each other and competing for their next contracts.
Speaker 1: So that brings us to and it's Walt. It's not Walter, it's wal Clayton Junior. That's what he wants to be called. And if that's what he wants, we'll give it to him. So I'll call him Walt. And I'm a little conflicted about this. I think where I've landed, and I thought Brad Stevens comment was interesting when he asked. He was asked about Austin trading up for wal Clayton Junior, and he said, I could have told you two years ago Austin was going to go trade up for him. So this is a player Austin has liked for a long time, and so where I've landed on it is Look, only time will tell.
Speaker 2: We'll see how it manifests. But if that's your guy, go get them.
Speaker 1: Okay, if that's the guy you've identified, you've done your calculation, go get them. But you trade twenty one for eighteen, and then you also trade three second round picks, which is also not nothing to only move up three spots. Like I said, my net net is if Walts the guy, go get him.
Speaker 2: But what's your take on the transit.
Speaker 9: I think I'm going to fall in the same place as you. Like if that's the guy that you wanted, If that's the guy that you singled out and you really wanted to get him, and you heard that Miami was gonna pick him before you wanted to, and all you had to do was to give up some seconds to move up. Sure, go get the guy that you really really want. Of course, how that plays out in the future is going to determine whether or not it was a good a good move to make. And also with you, like three seconds isn't nothing. But if it's three second round picks for a guy that you really believe in that then turns into somebody that could be like a full rotation player for a good number of years, then like it's hard to find those players in the second round, right, Like those are those are such like luck of the draw picks in the second round that you don't always know whether it's going to be you know, Nikola Jokic or some guy that you never heard of even after Draft night because he never even played a day in the NBA, right, And so it's kind of a this or that and time will tell. But I'm fine with it, you know, Like, like I like that the Jazz took Walter Clayton junior and even in the second round when they picked John Toanji, like a couple of guys that just aren't eighteen, Right, You've got a bunch of guys who came in off one and done years in college, and I just like that they have some guys that are going to come in and like actually can play some basketball and maybe don't need like the maturation time that the others need. That doesn't mean that they're going to be great, but I just think that it's good that it's on the roster that not everybody is an actual teenager.
Speaker 1: Well said, let's let's go back to the Sexton deal. You outlined it well, and we could just bottom line it with your answer, but I'll follow up asking if you are surprised that there wasn't better value out there for Colin who's coming off a good year and he's one of the players that has shown up shown he's a pro shot over forty percent from three years, about nineteen points a night, And to your earlier point, that may have been the only motivation they wanted. A matching salary and a player that you don't need to play because Nurkich is no longer, you know, with anything other than a vet, they can give you ten or twelve minutes to night. But were you surprised there wasn't more value in return with that transaction for the Jazz.
Speaker 9: A little bit? Right? I think that, especially if you're thinking about John Collins, the way that he has kind of improved his offensive game since coming to Utah, and then Colin Sexton, he showed that he can be a little bit more of a distributor. Right Like, it looked like these were positive value guys. But I think there's a couple of things that came to mind kind of right after the initial like sticker shock. And that's obviously not to say John Collins is gone, but I assume that he will be at some point. Number One, these are guys that looked really good on the Jazz, and that is a bar that is very low in the NBA as of today. I mean, when you're playing on the absolute worst defensive team in the league and you're playing on a team that has the least amount of wins and the minutes that you play look good, that's relative. And number two, the value of these players might not necessarily been the value of them in particular, but maybe just the value of the Jazz is negotiating power in these situations. The rest of the NBA knows exactly what the Jazz are doing. They know that they need to get off these veteran expiring deals. They know that they want a runway for the young players to play, and so they the Jazz don't really have leverage here, it's like, well, you want us to take on a contract that you don't want, and you want a player that's also on expiring to come back, Like what's in it for us? Especially for like, let's look at Charlotte, Like, it's not like they need a bunch of guards. And so it doesn't really really shock me once I start to think about it that the rest of the league is like, hey, UTAHD, what can you even show us that proves that the Ers are good players? That they played kind of good on the worst team in the league. That doesn't really say much.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, well said, all right, now this moves us over to Jordan Clark's in a couple of different layers to this question. I have been a little bit surprised at how sad a lot of people are to see JC go. You know, last couple of years. The on court stuff just wasn't great. The advanced numbers weren't great, the usage, the true shooting percentage. He just none of us are as young as we used to be. And you know, he's not the guy that won six Man of the Year. You know, in retrospect, the trade that that xanak and and and that group made for him was really good, sending Dante and a couple of second rounders to Cleveland for him. But I think you'll have better perspective on this than I do. As somebody who's on the beat, and I always say this, you should listen to the beat writers.
Speaker 2: They know more than any of us.
Speaker 1: It does feel like throughout this four year pivot, clunky rebuild that at best has been mediocre and at worst has been embarrassing, He's kind of been a north star, like a bright spot for the organization, bright spot for the locker room. So as as Clarkson walks out the door and reportedly he is going to sign with the Knicks, can you put some perspective why a lot of people feel like this is kind of a sad day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think even the on court stuff, you know, is have context, right, Like, you know, Jordan getting the ball from a bunch of rookies or second year guys with five seconds on a shot clock is not really the best way to operate. And you know, or another situation if you imagine, you know, Jordan's in an ISO situation on the right wing and he looks over and the guy that's open from three is Isaiah Collier who can't shoot threes, and I probably wouldn't want to pass the ball either, and so I think that it was just a really weird situation, and so that led to some bad numbers. Part of it is obviously what you said right, father Time is undefeated. He's not the man that he used to be. All of that's true too, but I think that he was also like the last three and a half years really took a toll on him. I mean, even that last year with the Donovan and Rudy team, that took toll on those players, and he was the last player on this team that had ties to that team, and so I don't think that he ever really got to recover and move on from that because he was still here. And so, yeah, it didn't look great. And I'm honestly really happy that he gets a chance to go play for a team that's actually gonna play for some meaningful basketball, like the game's mattering. Makes me happy for Jordan, and he was kind of a bright spot, and I think that's probably one of the reasons that the Jazz held on to him a little bit, is because he was a familiar face. He was a sellable name. He's somebody that could get butts and seats.
Speaker 6: He was also I.
Speaker 9: Mean, he has an incredible wealth of knowledge about the NBA. Like he might not have ever been the guy on a team, but he has been on good teams and he's been around a lot of really great players, and so he was a good guy who was fun to be around for these young guys, and he could also take them under their wing. And it wasn't weird when he was advice because it felt like it came from a good place. And so he was great for this team and he was great for the fans. It is absolutely no surprise to me that someone was his personality and the amount of slagger that he has endeared himself so much to the fans so quickly, and it's going to really leave a hole for the Jazz. I mean, there's no one like Jordan Clarkson's.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to ask you a follow up, just like I did with Colin, and the answer could be exactly the same, and it's fine, but I am curious as to whether or not you're a bit surprised that the Jazz only option with Jordan was essentially they cut him. I mean, it's a it's a buyout situation where it saves the team some money. But are you surprised they couldn't get anything on the open market for Jordan Clarkson.
Speaker 9: No, I'm not super surprised. I know that they tried to move him, you know, at least last year, and weren't able to get some I think that the thing is, it's like, do you want to take on another contract and possibly give up maybe a second or any kind of pick to attach to him when what you really want is money off the books and to keep the rest of your assets. I mean, I think that it makes a little bit more sense when you're looking at Colin because there was more money involved there and they were able to get a backup center in the process. But for Jordan, I think that it made a lot of sense to just like cut ties and just give him a chance to go sign with someone else who wants him and for those teams who you know, I think the Knicks are going to be putting him on a vat minimum this year, which is basically the amount of money that he gave up in the buyout, and so he doesn't lose money this year. The Jazz save a little bit of money and get his contract off the books. I think that this is kind of a win win in a bit of a lose lose situation, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It does so.
Speaker 1: As I talk about all the time when it comes to teams that are in the spot the Jazz are in, there is a salary floor that you have to hit. Everyone talks about the second apron, the salary cap, the luxury tax.
Speaker 2: Well, you also have.
Speaker 1: To spend a minimum amount of money on your roster, and this year's salary floor is just about one hundred and forty million. If my numbers in front of me are correct. The Jazz are at one hundred and fifty point six million right now, which leads us to John Collins. Now, any transaction they'll bring money back. My point is John just might be a guy that you're fine paying for one more year. You know, it doesn't necessarily distract or dissuade you from what you're trying to accomplish this season. But more noise around John Collins potentially being moved off of by the Utah Jazz. Any insight on what's next for the Jazz and John.
Speaker 9: I know that the Jazz have been working to move off of them to find a trade partner. So far, it's been hard for them to find something that like nets them a positive result. Looking at the same thing as collinsext and right, like, no one was going to give the Jazz good things to take on a contract that they didn't want anymore, and so they had to add a second and so then that's kind of a negative net, right, you got to give up something you get it, And that's not really what the Jazz wanted to do with John, considering how much he kind of revamped his offensive games. That being said, the league still knows that he's not really a great defensive player, and he didn't really show that he was much better with the Jazz. I mean, it's hard to show that you're a great defensive player when you're on a team that is the worst defensive team. So I think that it's been difficult. That being said, if he ends up being a player they keep and tell him he doesn't have to report if they want to buy him out, that's a possibility to U they could also keep him around, like they are not the Jazz are not opposed to just letting John Collins deal expiring, because once you've got, you know, John Collins, Colin Sexton, or use of Nurkic. Now Jordan Clark sends the money off the books for all those you know contracts at the at the end of this upcoming season. That gives them a lot of wiggle room and a lot of cap space. And so I just I think that you're right if he ends up being here, I think that they can maneuver around that. But they've still got options to go and maybe they'll be able to pull something together and find a trade partner before the end of the offseason.
Speaker 1: I know we've discussed this, but it's been a minute, So I'm just going to bring up the two names that you know, feel like they're very good players, but do they fit the timeline? And it's weird to say that about Walker Kessler, but you know, I'll ask you whether or not you have any recent intel on the Jazz potentially fielding phone calls and either Walker or Lowry. I mean, I talk about this now every day now that Austin is in charge. It's not marry to any of these guys. Didn't draft him, didn't trade for him. Like I said, I have nothing but good things to say about both these players. I think they both have played well here. But your thoughts on the potential of the Jazz doing anything at all with either Lowry or Walker, Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 9: You know, if you ask me the same question maybe a year ago, i'd had a little bit of a different answer. At that point, it'd be like, you know, these are the guys that it's going to be really hard to take out of the jazz dam. They want to keep them. I'm a little bit still in that camp, but I think that now the way that I've changed is at this point it feels like it's kind of fifty to fifty if the right deal comes along and someone sweetens the pot for the Jazz in a way that makes it hard to say no. You're right, Austin is not married to this situation. He didn't pick these guys, he didn't make those deals, and if they get something that looks better for the future, then they're going to do it. That being said, I know that the Jazz, the front office, everyone involved, they would love for Lowry and Walker to be a part of the future. They would love for them to turn into two of those building blocks and be a part of the next core of a great Jazz team, but they are not guaranteed, and they will be listening to phone calls that come in.
Speaker 2: All right, before I say you lose.
Speaker 1: I think an interesting dynamic of this season, and I just talked to this with a couple of the NBA guests we've had on today. Taylor Hendrix, Cody Williams, Keyante, George, Bryce sen Siba, and Isaiah Collier all have contracts which are team options next year. So it could be I'm not saying it will be, and I have no inside here, but it could be the final year for these players if the Jazz have done their calculation on them and have decided it's not going to work. It's rare this happens, but it is something worth talking about. So those five players, Taylor Hendrix, Cody Williams, Keyante, George, Bryce Sensaba, Isaiah Callier, all playing on contracts this year. That could be a situation where the team doesn't pick it up next year. What are your thoughts on the calculations that have been done on those five.
Speaker 9: I mean, I fully wouldn't expect that to be the case for Taylor and Cody because I don't think that there's not enough calculation at all. I think that you want as much time looking at those guys as you can possibly get, because both of them came in looking like Bambi, right, like skinny, a little bit like wonky eyed, not knowing where to go at times, and just the first summer after their rookie seasons were so so important, this one for Cody, last season for Taylor, and the unfortunate injury that Taylor gets then set him back a year. And so I just don't think that you've had enough time to look at Taylor, to look at Cody and to know what you're going to be getting out of those players, for Isaiah, for Keyante, for any of the other young guys that you know, Bryce, anybody that else we might be talking about. It's it's difficult. I think that this summer is really really important for all of them. I would kind of be surprised if the Jazz decided to like just make this upcoming season their their last season. A lot of a lot of them have. You know, these player options have to be decided like year in advance, right, and so like this summer, the place or the team options, it's not about this upcoming season it's about the following season, and so I would be really surprised if they didn't at least keep on keep a hold of everyone like through this, come this season and the next season to get like a full clear picture of what they have in those players. But yeah, this summer is really really important. If guys look like they're disinterested or they haven't improved or or any of those things. Yeah, hard decisions are coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt. All Right, Sarah, it's been too long. Thanks so much for the time. Keep up the great work and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 9: Okay, Yeah, anytime since?
Speaker 1: All Right, our friend Sarah Todd from The deser Red News. She also has covered the seventy six ers and the Warriors. She's been doing it at a very high level. She's won Utah Sports Ride of the Year a couple of different times, most recently last year. She's on Twitter at NBA Sarah's where you find her. All Right, I got three hours in the books, We got one hour to go. Final hour of the program comes your way.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 1: We have some college football to do with Kyle Bonnet Gurra. The latest on Jake Retzlaff and BYU University of Utah locked in and recruit Shay Gilgess. Alexander got paid today. It's the richest contract in NBA history, only eleventh player in NBA history to win regular season MVP Finals, MVP and an NBA Championship, two hundred and eighty five million dollars, a supermax extension for the reigning MVP. A ton of news coming in fast and furious. We tried to cover it as much as we possibly could on the program today. We'll see if the Utah Jazz do anything at all. There is a world that exists that they don't do anything else. They don't have to. They've got the rookies under contract, that've got some vets under contract, and this roster has presently constituted with the minutes that have been cleared up for the young players. Seems like it could be exactly what you need to back up Austin Ange's assertion that they will not be manipulating minutes, but also be bad enough that you hold on to that number.
Speaker 2: Eight pick in the next year. So there you go. Man.
Speaker 1: It is just it's wild to pull up the headline and see that Damian Lillard has been waived by an NBA team.
Speaker 2: It's just weird.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get the dynamic and it could ultimately be good news for Dame. But when they made this trade two years ago, people truly believe that Milwaukee would be in the mix to win multiple NBA championships.
Speaker 2: And I get why you do it.
Speaker 1: If you're Milwaukee, you have to take advantage of having Giannis on your roster.
Speaker 2: It's just injuries, suck man. It's too bad how this went down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously you look back at when that deal was made, and there were big hopes for folks here, folks that are fans of Damian Lillard and of course fans of Milwaukee Bucks, that that could produce a really, really good, little I guess, extra run on top of what was a title run for Milwaukee. But I mean, when you combine an Achilles' tear with a NBA guard, there's a lot of complications there. So unfortunately, for one Damian Lillard, you know, probably not going to see him next year, and if we do, it'll be like a buyout real late or not a buyout, but joining a team real late in the year or even for a postseason run. I would say you're more likely to see him join a team on a one or two year deal this season following. We will see how that all goes out. But hope the best for him, man. I hope where he lands is as we've talked about, some more competitive. Seeing Damian Lillard in meaningful basketball is a lot of fun, and some of us have forgotten about that because it's been quite some time since we've seen him play in meaningful basketball.
Speaker 1: The Utah Mammoth signed a Stanley Cup winner as Nate Schmidt is on his way to play for the Utah Mammoth a three year deal, who just won a Stanley Cup with a Florida Panthers. The Winnipeg Jets bought out Schmidt when he was still on a six year contract that he signed when he was with the Vegas Golden Knights back in twenty eighteen. Yeah, recently he won a Stanley cupp and that's always good. So after a one year deal, thirty three years old, turned thirty four, we'll turn thirty four next month. Three goals, twelve points in twenty three games, help the Panthers winning Stanley Cup.
Speaker 2: So some good stuff there, all right.
Speaker 1: Porter, Before we get out of here, what comes our way On a Wednesday edition of the show.
Speaker 3: On a Wednesday edition of the program, we'll talk NBA offseason. We'll talk a little bit of hockey, maybe a little bit of soccer as well. Tony Jones stops by the program. My buddy Everett Gray, former UNLV running rebel, former NBA player, now local high school coach here, will stop by the program. Belle Frasier joins the show live from the development camp of course, Utah, mammit there up in Park City for the week, so Bell will give us the lowdown from there, and then I think we're catching up with Pablo Mastruwinni on a Wednesday as well.
Speaker 1: All right, good stuff, so enjoy that, stay tuned for a Wednesday show. Well Saga night and a special thank you to Kyle Bonegera, Tim McMahon, Richard Smith, and Sarah Todd Fredest sound you may have missed today, go to the website which is ESPN seven hundred. You can always take us on the go utilizing our mobile app, which is the ESPN seven hundred app available in the App Store of the Google play Store. And then, finally, for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours, check out the podcast page it's called The Drive with Spence.
Speaker 2: Check its It's available wherever.
Speaker 1: Get your shows, subscribe, rate, review, say nice things in the comments, give us all the stars.
Speaker 2: It helps.
Speaker 1: He's porter, I'm Spence saying, and I have a great Tuesday evening. Talk to you on a Wednesday Drive right here on ESPN seven hundred