Speaker 1: You see, something's going to happen.
Speaker 2: What's going to happen?
Speaker 3: What I do.
Speaker 4: Help welcome back to the occult rejects. Today is going to be a special one. We're stepping into one of the deepest wells in Western thought, the world of Plato. And I don't mean the silly putty, and not just Plato the philosopher. You hear about it in school, but we hear about Plato the myth maker, the architect of metaphysics, the man who's writing shape everything from Christianity to mysticism, esoteric philosophy, and the occult tradition that came much much later. To help them, help us unpack a little bit here. We've got two great, amazing and brilliant guests with us today, P. D. Newman and the Ike Baker. And this time it's going to be heavy. We're talking about Plato's writings, the hidden layers inside of them, the big ideas like the forms the soul of the nature of reality, and why texts like The Republic and the Tamaea still matter today as we're trying to understand the spiritual and the symbolic foundations of Western world as we know it. Plato isn't just ancient history. He's still in the room with us today. His fingerprints are all over everything religion, philosophy, initiation systems, and the way people think about truth itself. So today we're going back into the cave and hopefully coming back out with a little more light. Pd Ike, welcome back to the old cult rejects, and I myself do not forget am Brandon Lee of Megas in the media. After this, head over sbscribe like and share the same thing you do with everybody else on this panel. We're going deep and I'm sending it over to the head cardinal himself, the nick the occult reject himself. Head it over.
Speaker 2: What is funny? I love it?
Speaker 5: Thanks Jules, Yo, that was a bang banger of an intro. Thank you so much Brad that I really appreciate it. I appreciate I coming here. I appreciate p D. Newman coming on. Ike, I really appreciate you even setting this up. I mean, this is amazing for me, So.
Speaker 2: Thank you all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can check out the Ocult Rejects Bitch You Rumble YouTube, all major podcasts if you feel inclined to send money. We do sell t shirts too for twenty five dollars a piece. You will get it delivered to your house. So if you're interested, hit me up on social media and yeah.
Speaker 2: That is all. Uh, let me introduce Judith. What is going on? How are you hi?
Speaker 1: This is the Loon.
Speaker 6: You can catch me on YouTube on as the Loon and on and I just do some self care and some internal discussions.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, no.
Speaker 5: Of course, thank you for joining always appreciate it. And my man Jewels just saw you a few hours ago.
Speaker 2: What is going on? Brother? Thank you for joining us again? What's up? Man?
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me, guys Jewels, host of the Great Pill Podcast, Handsome Higher Front Mississippi Mystic.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, glad to be here.
Speaker 6: It's been a while since I've been on in a Cult Rejects episode, so I'll probably keep my mouth shut for most of this one. I don't know much about Plato, but I am willing to learn, so Ike and PD, it's it's good to meet you, guys.
Speaker 2: PD.
Speaker 6: I heard me and you have something common, you know, being from the same area. Maybe, so that's pretty cool, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Mississippi, yeah man, yeah, yeah, yeah, Mississippi Mystic. You know it's a web parton that I've coined. But yeah, up in North Mississippi, well central to north little north of Jackson, So okay, yeah man, but yeah no, Nick, thanks for having me and uh, yeah, guys follow me on x at grypul pod and go over to Patreon check us out over there. We do Gods of the Morning. Would every Saturday morning, Nick and Headless usually join us, and uh, this morning we covered the Naghamadi text. We covered, uh, the.
Speaker 7: The sanctum I really want to say sanctum rectum of the terror, but uh, sanctum sanctum something I don't know, and then uh, the Delphic maxims.
Speaker 6: It was a banger and it will be going private in a few hours, so go check it out after this.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Jules, I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: You could be here to see all my fellow rejects.
Speaker 5: Hell yeah, brother, it's good to have you on. And mister Robbie Marks the storyteller himself, what is going on.
Speaker 8: Sir, Yeah, thanks for having me on. This is gonna be a fun one. I am our Marx artist illustrator and do a variety of research in the various subject matters. I have the metamind Cast, which is my podcast various interviews like this and stuff that I esoteric subjects that I cover. But if you want to check out all my Miss laney SLINKs, you can go to my link tree which is link tree r M A r X. And I will say that over the last couple of years, I've pretty extensively been really digging into play though, and I'm just completing laws right now, and so it's, uh, it's been quite the journey going through all this information and I'm really interested to see kind of you know, where this whole conversation goes on, just platonic, you know, philosophy, the governmental processes, the various gods and goddesses and temples and it's just uh yeah, some really uh stuff that I really enjoy and I appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 5: Of course, Robbie was a pleasure I have on the show, and we got Arrows and what is up?
Speaker 2: Arrows.
Speaker 9: Good to have you back, Yeah, thank you, and thanks for having me on. I'm so excited for this one today. You know, Plato was the first to create this unified ethical cosmology, and he coined the term demn urge and the ideal forms and was the first to talk about Atlantis. There's just so much that could be said about Plato. It's like, how we're not going to be able to cover much. I'm sure, but yeah, very excited. You can find me on x at Arrows to Ethos and you can find me on YouTube at Arrows Up.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much for coming on Arrows and Ethan Indigo, what is going on through well?
Speaker 10: Thank you so much everyone for being aeric Brandon Dope introduction pd Ike. I'm really excited to speak with you guys. And like many of the things that I look into, Plato makes me feel more ignorant the more I study and learn of him. Right, it's just so such a deep stream of information. So Ethan Indigo Smith, I'm easy to find on all the social media and I always appreciate people reaching out and communicating and once you're writing out there and articles and books and again, appreciate.
Speaker 2: Everybody, appreciate you making it, Ethan.
Speaker 5: And finally to the guests, Ike, please, sir, people don't know who you are already, Let's remind them where can they find all your amazing work.
Speaker 3: I will be moonlighting at Chuck e Cheese for the next month and a half. If you guys want to come down, it's over here, just outside of Charlotte. They're gonna get They told me that I can't bring a full sized guitar. I have to bring a ukulele. So my name's like Baker. I it's a pleasure to be here amongst such excellent company. I host the Arcane podcast and YouTube channel ar C A n VM, and I wrote a bunch of books and I primarily I guess most people will know me as Golden Down magician. That's kind of my background.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was on this channel with Fredi RC just a little while ago talking about the Golden Down. It was a great conversation. But Platonism is something that's very, very near and dear to me. I got my first four Platonic dialogues. My dad bought it for me and he gifted it to me when I was about eleven years old, and it was it's called four Great Dialogues. I think it was the Feto, the Apology, the Creto, and I'm forgetting the fourth one. But so it started really early for me, and I didn't have any kind of academic filter that was that was trying to you know, fit me into this little nice, uh you know, rationally square box that uh that academia was trying to filter our perception of of the Platonic dialogues through for a really long time. So these always came across as mystical texts to me and I actually bonded for the first time. I had PD on my podcast to cut a number of years ago, and just and I think we might have used exactly these words in the podcast. What he was putting down I was picking up because this, immediately to me was a kindred spirit. PD is one of the finest, finest Platonists I've ever met my entire life. And uh, he's an incredible author and his book Theogy Theory in practice, it just blew the doors off. And you know what it's saying something when you get an author who writes relatively short treatise, if you've seen literature on Platonism and theory, she's like, you know, and but more information, more valuable information, and more heart in that in that thin volume than than arguably probably the last forty books I read on Platonism. So of course I jumped at the opportunity to uh to bring them on this show today, and so thanks for being here man.
Speaker 1: And thank you, and you are far too generous. But that book, that that book came about in a very very strange way. I told you a little bit about it, you know, for those of you who aren't familiar with my research and how it started. I mainly focus on psychedelics and the use of psychedelics within ritual contexts, indigenous settings, and especially religious youth is in ancient religions. But in my teens I got really involved in ceremonial magic, and just like I, you know, the first kind of the most visible system was the golden dullstem. I spent a lot of time in the Golden Dull system, got into too Crowley for a little while, especially because of his validation of the use of enthegens within a magical context, which was the first validation I had seen of what I was experiencing in my own path. But what got me into Platonism and what led to the writing of theogy, Believe it or not, I read this book by Augus uzda Venis. He passed away in twenty ten, probably probably the most brilliant author I've ever read, next to somebody like Peter Kingsley, and that book absolutely set me on fire. And I didn't know that Algus had passed away. I didn't know who this man was, and and I had no intentions of writing a book on theorgy. But one night I'm dead asleep, and I have an encounter with what I can only call Ustavinni's ghost comes to me in my sleep and gives me this book fully formed, uh, the entire organization of it, the the structure of it, each chapter, the themes. And I woke up two three in the morning with this fully formed book in my head, and and I thought, how the fuck does that happen? Where does you know? Where did that come from? But I didn't do anything about it. And successively, for roughly ninety days, he would startle me awake about the same time, two or three in the morning and make me write. And every book I wrote before that book, you know, you can probably confirm this. It takes about a year, you know, to research and write a book. This book happened in ninety days. I wrote it in an absolute fever and a half trance state in the middle of the night, being prodded by this ornery Lithuanian fucking ghost. So I say that because I don't take full credit for that book. I also, I am not trying to say it's a channeled work, but it came about in a very strange way and was by far the oddest night the days of my entire career as a writer. So strange stuff the muse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, and just so selfless plug and people want to hear more about his book on Theorgy and Ike Baker's Etheric Magic, and can go check out the Occult Rejects.
Speaker 2: We have episodes. Yes, So I don't know. Uh, I don't know who wants to start it off first with Plato? I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about asking people if you if you if you don't mind, I guess like where, I don't even know what ite Uh, I guess when it comes to Plato in in In.
Speaker 2: I guess a cult or esoteric system. Where do you see? I guess like the most blatant. I guess, uh, you know, borrowing from his ideas, his influence.
Speaker 1: Who we asking?
Speaker 2: I guess really, I'll ask you first if you don't mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, everywhere, if it's a Western system of attainment, Plato is in the background somewhere, even if the author of that system isn't aware of the fact. So many tropes that we take for granted in Western mystery traditions western mysticism have their origin in either Plato or in what Plato was reading. And that's especially true if someone like Parmenides, Pythagoras, and Pedocles, Heraclitis, you know, all of these early pre Socratic voices, he addresses them and their ideas, even if he's not clear about it, even if he's not saying, you know, we're commenting on or building on what came in the past. In a big way, he gives his reader the benefit of the doubt that they already know this stuff. And at the time they probably did, you know, within the academy, they certainly would have been familiar with those those texts. But yeah, everything and and it's especially true of early Christianity, of Orthodox Christianity, and it's true of heterodox Christianity a gnosticism. But when you see the emergence of Christianity proper in the Orthodox Church and figures like Saint Dionysius, the Areopagite Gregory of Nissa, Saint Anthonasius. It's a Maximus the Confessor. Especially, it's impossible two make sense of what they're saying without recourse to Plato. Like IX said, without that, without a filter in there that you're you can say, oh, you know this, this is Plato just recast for for a different type of audience. And what's really different about that audience and Platonism the one the monad is transcendent a lot like the Father in Christianity right, and in Judaism, the fathers is separate from his creation. Christianity drawing from not necessarily Plato, but certainly the Neoplatonists realized the gap that creates because there is a philosophical need to maintain God's eminence within the creation. And the Neoplatonists solve this problem by what they call suntha, Mata, and sumbola, which are tokens and symbols, but tokens are so you can think about them similar to how the Golden Dawn has correspondences. When you look at the Tree of life, each sephera, each netteva, they each have a string of correspondences, but and a lot of approaches to that. It becomes a psychological mnemonic where you'll see practitioners saying things like, well, if I surround myself with things that are red, you know, and increments of five and iron, that I'm propelling my consciousness into Gibera, because all of these are psychological mnemonics that entrance me to think about Mars, to think about Gibura. But what's different about the way the Neoplatonists think about these tokens are that they don't represent the gods. They are the gods and fractal microcosmic form. So when you interact with with iron, you are interacting with Mars only simply the way Mars manifests on this plane. So Christianity takes this and transfers all of that into the figure of Christ. Christ becomes the imminence of God within this creation. But that couldn't have happened without Plato. I like to say that Christ was born and crucified in a Platonic cosmos, in particularly a Hellenistic cosmos. Then the best example of that is in the Creed, where it says that Christ descends to Hades right to release the saints. Well, that means he descended to a Greek underworld right. So in the same motion, it confirms the Greek cosmo conception, but it also overturns it in that for the first time people can get out of Hades and into Heaven, which for them would have been Mount Olympus, where men don't go men are allowed there. But Christ confirms it and overturns it. So no Plato, no.
Speaker 3: Christ, You're here. Yeah, absolutely, you know, like people will, people will get confused when I tell them that I'm a Christian. I was like, wait, hold on, you're a magician too, you claim to do the Golden dawns. Like, first of all, you know, there's definitely some sort of it's not necessarily the person's fault per se, but you know, exoteric discussions about religion always devolve upon the same issues, which is a definition of terms. People will use terms generically according to their own sort of you know, referencing themselves and what they know. That's kind of like if you say, hey, can you get me a band aid out of the cabinet. What you're talking about is a bandage. Band aid is a brand, but you're using that term generically without even thinking about it, And people do that with Christianity. I am in terms of my faith, my outlook on the world. I would say that I'm someone a little bit more pre Nicene, uh contemplative Christian. Also, you know, I practice the and and administer the seven Sacraments. I'm even though I'm not Orthodox, technically, I'm Orthoprats. So I'll practice those rituals according to the Roman writer the Coptic right. And then I'll say, look, but my my metaphysic hell, even my theology is Platonic. You know, the early Church. I mean you look a look at the reading, any reading. Augustine's the obvious one. But if you look at even like the Desert Fathers, they're using and it's this is true of the Hermetica as well. We like to for for what I believe is like reasons of political correctness in the modern day. We like to attribute the Hermetic texts specifically to the Egyptians. But in reality, there's there's no Hermetic text that predates the Platonic Dialogues. And not only it's written in Greek and Coptic. Coptic is mostly Greek in terms of the alphabet, and they're using discrete Platonic terms in context, words like c he right, soul, nous, higher, consciousness logos, these kinds of thing using those those platonic terms in us in that specific platonic context. It's the same thing in the writings of the Desert Fathers when they talk about I mean Evagius of Pontus, who is the great you know, taxonomist of of of of early Christian demonology. He talks about the soul having three parts. Okay, that comes we first see that in the Fato. The platonic dialog is the tripartite nature of the soul, and he's talking about how he came out here in the desert so he could he could raise his consciousness up out of the appetitive, which is the lowest part, and into the rational, the logisticon.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: So there, as as PD rightly points out, I mean, it is so diffuse. We're on like truly the modern commentators, specifically through esotericism and what I would say adjacent to academia. This is the first time I'm seeing in a very long time commentators that are looking at this stuff and realizing just how significant it is. And we're beginning to ice ICEE a movement now in the modern day of people starting to interpret this stuff not in this very sterile. You know, let's put this thing in a glass case and put a little light on it, like but but interpreting it from almost almost from a position within the tradition, you know. So so so it's almost like we have a new Neoplatonism here. That's that's working, and that's what the old commentators were doing, you know. And and somebody mentioned that they felt ignorant by reading Plato, and I mean even the early neoplatonists talk about that, you know, they you know, so it's it's it's quite interesting. But I would say that, uh to to sort of piggyback on what PD said about Parmenides and Heraclitis. There was so so pre Socratic philosophy in the main, in the main, right, I'm gonna break with with this generalization to show you the exceptions, but in the main was not really that interested in uh A sophisticated theology. They were very very they were they were they were early early sort of protophysicists, natural philosophers, and that would have been what was going on in the Egyptian temple complexes, right, because the gods were forces of nature, and each particularly particular you know, hieratic station or cultists, was dedicated not only to working with the God but understanding its functions in nature. Okay, so then this this stuff gets taught to the Greeks. We know that we don't have to go over that is well established that they went there to learn this shit, and they came back wizards. But a lot of guys were more interested in ethics, more interested in you know, are things relative and the heraclitis and things like this. Not parmenit. He's protagorists, things like that, and Plato addresses these in turn. Throughout his dialogues. He's constantly trying to or what I think, he's orienting those old, those pre Socratic philosophies in the light of the Socratic movement, which is but he's to PD's point, he's not being so heavy handed about it, right, because at the end of most of the Platonic dialogues, we're like, okay, we just spent forty five pages, and we're really we don't know where we are anymore, you know's there's not like they don't. He never wraps a bow on it. He's the eternal cliffhanger. But there is an exception. There's an exception, and those exceptions that the way that I see them through my research is Pherisides, the ancient orphic mythographer who was, according to Diogenes Laertius, was the teacher of Pythagoras, we all know, the great metaphysician and number mystic, and then Parmenides. And Parmenides I believe it is said that at one point he was a Pythagorean, and he left that cult specifically for a new teacher who taught him the art of silence and and uh and PD talks some about that in his in his book. So what you get in Plato really is a focus on metaphysic uh, an ethical imperative two to using the mind to reach metaphysical heights uh, not necessarily just epistemological, but to get above that discursive weather, the way a plane has to get above the clouds in a storm. So to me, Plato is a continuation of those ancient pre Socratic metaphysicians, right. And you see that in in something like the curriculum curriculum of your Iamblicus. The twelve Platonic dialogues that that were you know, in the the the late academy. They were requisite before practicing theogy. There are two dialogues, and I believe that they're termed this according to either Olympiadorus of the of Alexandria or the anonymous Prologomna. And Denny could probably tell me which one is which.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: But but the time Aus and the Parmenides, which are very very very cosmological, metaphysical, uh, very abstract, they're they're considered right, they're the final two. They're they're eleven and twelve out of twelve. You reach those last before you become a theorist. But these are referred to as the dialogues beyond philosophy, Okay, And it's very very important, right you have Parmenides right there. Not only that, but if if you go debt back to the epistemological test trad of the cradlest the Theotitis, the sofas and the statesman, Socrates says, Parmenides taught me the dialectic when I was a kid. And then in the Parmenides that final you know, series finale of the ambliking curriculum. It's it's the retelling of the story between Parmenides, his student Zeno, and the young Socrates. As a matter of fact, in the epistemological tetrad Socrates hands the mic over to somebody who we call the Eleatic stranger Sinon, the the Eleatic foreigner, who then asks questions of a younger person named Socrates who's not Socrates. So there's a lot of this coding and a lot of this layering in there to point who he who the the forebears of this tradition really are. And then of course the Timeus. You know, whether you believe it's misattributed to Timeus of low career or not, it's an anakronick sort of attribution, whether you believe in the historicity or not, it is so clearly Pythagorean. So at least you know as far as what we know about about the cult. So yeah, all of that stuff ends up becoming one way or the other, particularly And this is the point I tried to make, and I'll end here. The point I tried to make in writing my first book, A Formless Fire, was to show the trajectory of how we got how we it is we come to custodianship of these capital m mysteries, and it is through the initiatory societies that took place, you know, obviously in the in the eighteenth, nineteenth, and early twentieth centuries, they were going based off of they were not necessarily just doing money, magic and go at a conjuration. They were interested in theorgy. The Golden Dawn specifically states in in in a series of documents called the Flying Roles, which are foundational to the Inner Order. You've come here to do theorgy. Whether you realize they or not, theorgy is is the purpose of this. And then sprinkled throughout their rituals, which you really gotta you really got to listen to understand her two things, the Christian New Testament really the Gospels and Neoplatonic literature. There are sayings from Proclus and the Neophyight ritual. So it's it's very very uh, it's that is to me, that is the real tradition.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 3: And you get things like the Grimoire tradition outside of you know, academia or clerical custodianship and given to us sort of egalitarian through people like Mathers and Crowley, who came right out of yeah, you know, and put these things in our hands, came right out of the society, these initiatory societies. So with that, I'm going to shut up and hand it back to to PD and uh and refill my coffee. I'll be back in two seconds.
Speaker 1: No, he's absolutely right. So I agree with everything that that he said.
Speaker 9: I'll ask a question, if you don't mind. I've this is sort of for Ike, but maybe for pe Ye. Would you also say that you're Christian?
Speaker 1: PD, that's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: So I was baptized into the Orthodox Church and I am absolutely smitten with the Divine Liturgy as probably the most well preserved the urgic ritual available through the practice of theophagy of God eating. It spells out in symbolic form exactly how these these tokens work and how engaging with them in a proper context has the ability to awaken their corresponding logo within the soul. And I think the Divine Liturgy is it really is something special. That being said, there are so many heretical bones in my body that I mean, I can't just say I'm an Orthodox Christian because so much of the lens through which I view the ongoings of the liturgical cycle is colored by people like Origin and Clement of Alexandria, and while they are incredibly important figures, the Church is kind of whitewash them. Let's get them out of here. They're not saints, we don't recognize them. And I had there was this I forget his name. He's a theologian Orthodox theologian, but he was describing the role that Origin played in the early Church, and he basically said, he says that, you know, we've got the Church fathers and they're playing soccer, and they're enjoying playing soccer, and Origin enters the picture, runs on the field, he says, I'm going to play, but he picks up the ball and runs off with it and in the process creates football instead of soccer. And so the church fathers get pissed and kick him off the team. Then once he's out of the picture, they all continue playing football.
Speaker 11: And that's so.
Speaker 1: Real to the program and what kind of an influence those two figures had. But at the same time, if you say that out loud within a proper Orthodox setting, you're going to get labeled heterodox and probably probably be requested to take some counseling.
Speaker 9: I guess the reason that I ask because you both mentioned Christianity and Jesus, And to me, a big difference between Platonism and Christianity or the Abrahamic religion kind of pre Neoplatonism is like, you know, it was sacrificial. It's a very sacrificial religion, which neo Platonism and Platonism doesn't really encourage or incorporate at all. And so to me, it's like, is Jesus a way of incorporating morality and ethics into the Bible and also synthesizing it with that tradition that is more sacrificial. I guess I wonder what you guys would think about that.
Speaker 1: I get a short answer, and then I want to hear what I has to say about that. I would wholly disagree about Neoplatonism not being sacrificial. We see that in someone like Porphyry, who is against the sacrificing of animals and has adopted this very early Christian idea that what's being sacri to our demons, and in Platonism, demons do not exist. It's not a dualistic cosmos. There is the good and everything stems from the good. There is no evil. There is privation of the good. But what privation of the good is a tendency to act in a way as though non being were real. But as Parmenides tells us, non being by definition cannot be. So it's it's it's a tendency to act in a way that is self defeating because it's impossible. It's a it's a it's a physical lie. Right, demons are demonized damons, and that's it's important to keep in mind. And when we get to someone like Iamblicus, he's very clear about the necessity of sacrifice. He's Syrian and fully immersed in the Syrian religious tradition. He he espouses the traditional Hellenistic picture where everyone sacrifices at the temple, and it's through this act of sacrifice because these animals are tokens of the gods. And just like Ike said, they get this from the Egyptians. They Le's goes to Egypt. You know, Plato goes to Egypt, but th Agris goes to Egypt. When an Egyptian looked out on the Nile and saw an ibis, they didn't think, oh, that bird is sacred to thought or to Uti. They said, there's to Huti. You know, it's a very different worldview and it demands a lot of us because all of the sudden, right, everything we do is sacred. The secular does not exist. Right, So when they take an animal, they're taking the God and sacrificing it. And within the Greek tradition, the sacrifice is not complete until you partake of it. So unlike with the Jewish tradition where they would burn the entire animal and leave it on the altar to legitimize the sacrifice and Hellenistic tradition, you have to partake of it. And that's the origin of this theophagi of consuming the god to become the god. Once you consume it, you're possessed by it. And you know, ever since William Bladdie wrote The psyop that is the Exorcist, we've got this bad idea in America of possession. That possession is bad, but possession in the Greek tradition, especially in Neoplatonism, that's the highest grace we can be of it. You know, it demands that we completely reorientate our view of this. And what was the second thing you said? After sacrifice Jesus.
Speaker 8: More into the Israelite I would say that.
Speaker 1: I would say Jesus completely disrupts the Torah, disrupts Mosaic law, you know, because he says he and the Apostolic Creed. For instance, when they're talking about allowing Gentiles to be Christians, the big question is, well, do they have to cut off their foreskin? If they're going to be Christians, shouldn't they be circumcised and there and the answer is no, because Christianity is not bound by the Abrahamic Covenant. Gentiles do not have to be circumcised to be Christians. That in itself completely disrupts any continuity between Judaism and Christianity, so much so that, you know, so of someone like Valentinis, I think it is perfectly his his his desire to remove the Old Testament altogether is warranted because that's not what they're practicing anymore. That's all I got.
Speaker 4: Circumcision is also a sy op. So there's that going on.
Speaker 3: That's that I think that's beautifully put. What what I would what I would add, I would just reinforce that point of you look at it this way. Right in the Old Kingdom of Egypt, when we begin to start seeing the pyramid texts, Okay, where do we get these?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: That's this where we get the stuff like the Book of the Dead and the Book of the Gates and all this stuff. These are from from the funerary carvings, the hieroglyphics inside the tombs, and the the the the mortuary complexes of the pharaoh. Okay, it was believed that the pharaoh was the only one who got to meet and identify with Osiris bring light to the underworld like raw and push back apep the serpent of oblivion, like Set. Set is the one use Set is the one who does that in the underworld. Believe it or not. They got to they got, of course, they have to incorporate they got of violence to push back in the annihilation. Then later in the second intermediate period, you start seeing the coffin text still a little bit more democratic about it, and say, okay, well, you know, if you guys can pay us, then you'll have souls too, and you can afford for us to carve this ship on the inside of your tomb. Now, then you get the Hebrew Covenant, which you know obviously says over and it's itself admittedly refers to a chosen people, a chosen people. You get the New Testament. Somebody who comes out of this chosen people and says, immortality is for fucking everyone everyone, right, okay, you must but this is what it is. That's how you become god. It's the reason for theophagia. In my opinion, what he does is what what Jesus does at the Last Supper is a baptism of the old gods. He takes them down from a place right the only sys It's very difficult to understand. Why is it difficult to understand? He's very similar to Christ, similar similar, you know, theophagic sort of thing with the wine and things like this. He's difficult. It's because that's a difficult thing for us to understand about ourselves. How is it that one one with with with one glass or two glasses, I can be sitting there and me and PD can be you know, just having this incredible time full of joy and a brilliance. And then and then on another night, I can have the same amount of alcohol and uh, you know, be be vomiting or throwing falling down the stairs. Yeah, becoming the main ad versus the uh, the the the exalted, you know, god of wine. It is a very difficult thing there in the ancient world where they were still really really wrestling by the strict bonds of their mortality. So when Christ comes he addresses this stuff. He talks about the Mosaic Law, and you'll find in the Gospels he says, he'll make a pronouncement to his to his disciples. So say, you have heard it said A B and C, and A B and C is some variant of the Mosaic law. And then he'll go on to say, but verily, truly, I say unto you x y and Z, and x y and Z will directly contradict A, B and C. And so there's this defense in orthodox Christianity to say, well, yeah, but he says, I didn't come to break the law. Yes, that's right. He says I came not to break but and the typical translation is to fulfill the law. Now what does that do?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 3: In this archaic English, it's very very like that. It's that band aid thing that we're talking about again. People are defining it on their own terms. What the Greek word is there is plerosai, and it's related to the word pleroma fullness. He says, I came not to not to destroy, but to complete the law, to make it whole. Immortality is for everyone. Now, there's some stuff where he talks about if you choose the path of separateness, if you choose that, then you will go to a place where there is much pain in the gnashing of teeth, but is insane. He says, you're gonna go somewhere, You're you're not gonna die and be in the ground, and it's over. Immortality is for every soul. It's just where how do you want to spend it? Based on what you do here? And that is extremely platonic. That's all. You get that all the way in the Fato, the afterlife myth in the Fader, you get in the myth of er fuck you if you go to the Osiria and an abidhost right now and you go through the procession way. I was there in October and I took pictures. On the right hand side is the Duot. Okay, this is written like four thousand years ago on that wall. Okay. On the left side are the Book of Gates in the Amduat. The book m Duad means what is in the duot? What is in the afterlife? Okay? At the highest it's it's kind of like this this vertical triptych. At the highest point near the ceiling, they're the blessed dead, and there they get to participate with with Raw and his solar bark, and they pull him very gratefully through the through the the night of the underworld. They get to participate in that. In the middle are people who live decent lives, and they go to the kind of like the field of reeds and they live what life was like here kind of uh. And then on the bottom of the wall, bottom of the wall, near the floor, there are people who are hung upside down with their arms tied behind their back, and they are the only figures on either wall that are completely painted red for burning for pain. For So, this idea that Hell is Christian, or specifically judo Christian is bullshit, very convenient bullshit. But this stuff is way, way, way, way, way predates that stuff. So there's he's coming to talk about. Here's the way out. Here is the way. I'm gonna leave it on this. If anybody wants to understand a little bit more of this through maybe like a Christian cabalistic lens Renaissance cabalism. Look at the work of Johannis Ruyklin, particularly de Verbo Mirifico the Wonder Working Word. He shows how the old dispensation was the tetragrammaton, the four lettered name of God, and how the new dispensation is the pentagrammaton with the insertion of the shin of spirit in the middle of that old name Yahweh becoming Aeshue. It's a little anachronistic because we don't have Jesus's name written anywhere in Hebrew. It's in Greek and it's Jezus. But I think that the idea is really relevant and very important, and I don't think any of this. Whether whether you believe it happened or not, it doesn't matter to me. The true truth is what matters to me, not the not the historical truth, but the capital T truth underlying that thing is what's important to me. And I think whether you believe Christ existed or now are symbolic, you could not have Christianity. Those ideas come to the to the fullest without Platonism. It all starts with Plato. You know, at least in the historical record, there may very well may have been people before him. We don't know about them, and they didn't they didn't leave anything.
Speaker 4: So I h I want to I want to make a little I want to take us back like three hundred years from Christ back to Plato and then even before then, because I think it's really important for the audience who don't know much about Plato, for us to break down why the immortality of the soul is so important in Plato and where that even comes from, when we hit before Pythagoras and into more of the orphic mysteries and how important it was, and that from Orphism to Pythagorianism to the you know, Socrates and his dialectic in getting it into the Platonic dialogues and Plato himself, because Plato talks about what metempsychosis is and the trends migration of the soul and how important that is too. Understanding what even immortality is and why the Platonic forms are so important in Plato's dialogues to begin with, because when we're understanding that the orphic mysteries are a mythic mystery of you know, Orpheus trying to bring his love Aridise up from the cave, up from Hades, up from the underworld, and he doesn't have enough faith to not look back as she disappears, and then he pines on into existence of his arrows forever. And then from there we move forth to Pythagoreanism, where we get the ideas of the mathematic and the harmony of the spheres, and so we're taking it from the mythic into the more pre scientific understanding of how to build up a mystery school and how to bring people in too, understanding that divine spheres and the geometries, which then Plato, which in your classes you brief very well described, has taken Pythagorea in his understanding of the harmony of the spheres and put it into his very work in a very uh in a very coded way. And from there we understand that Socrates is trying to now retrain the mind from the mythic into the dialectic and teach people how to philosophize, which is why we don't ever get anything wrapped up into a tight bow. And then through there we can understand what is the transmigration of the soul, what does it mean to be immortal, and how do we take what we're trying to then talk about with the crustos, with our golden dawn with our magical practices, and what field gea is, what is the divine working of trying to have that anagogic experience of bringing ourselves up into the heavens or the forms or into the divine or as Amblicus want us to do, is bring the vine down into this world so we can have an embodied experience, because I think that's what Socrates is truly trying to talk about in Plato's Plato's works, especially the Republic, especially the Phadrus, where he is actually Socrates's god is Apollo, and if we want to map that to the Tree of Life, we can map Apollo to Tipereth, which then is bringing us back to Christ where from Cather down you get Socrates speaking from his Apollonian way of trying to truly break things down in that well organized, symphonic style of style of speech. And then that reincarnation that we're talking about with the metim psychosis and the transmigration of the soul, is that ascent into the forms, and that forms is every time we die and are reborn, that metim psychosis, that cyclical nature of the soul trying to reach its highest state of the philosopher King. You know, I think that's really telling of what is our path as magicians and what are we truly trying to do here, which is trying to reach that divine state and reach that spark that's within us and get rid of that leaden soul, that alchemizing of our soul. And what he's doing every time, especially in the Republic, every person he talks to, you know, Plato's brothers, you know, which is Glaucon and Thetitis or whoever the guy with the teen name and everybody else is taking a certain position as Socrates is like, No, this is how we're going to start philosophizing here, and we're going to start laying out the direct understanding of what is justice and how do we live a just life? And to live that just life is trying to understand how to transcend our current state is which is what I believe PD and Ike is talking about here, is how do we live that path of the Cristos or the Apollonian or how do we truly understand how to philosophize, how do we live the magical life, which is that are unifying ourselves with the forms or you know, walking out of the cave. And so that's kind of like I want to take us back into Plato itself, because I think that's really important to lay the foundations of what is the Western esoteric tradition. It is nothing without Plato, and Christianity is nothing without Plato, because Christianity is laying itself the foundation of Aristotelianism and what Thomas Aquinas did. So without Plato, you don't have Aristotle, you don't have the mind. You know, Aristotle was known as the mind of the academy, and so you get the mind and the light, right, the mind being Aristotle and the light being Plato, and you put that together, and Christianity would be nothing. And what exists today without the very foundation in the bedrock of the Western philosophical tradition.
Speaker 3: Well, and I don't I don't look at it too strictly historical in terms of the way you might look at an organism evolving biologically, so much as I look at the tilos, and I look at it more less like evolution and more like like growing growing up from a child into into mature. That's how I see the history. And I see a telos a teleology behind it, meaning a metaphysical purpose, a purpose purpose behind it. So so I think that really Platonism, it was, was an early early form of Christianity attempting to be like what, I'll put it this way, forget, forget the label what Christianity actually was when it was first happening. Okay, that's that's it in the world, the christ event. Let's just call it that. Platonism was for me, that trying to be born into the world. And what do you have. You see a guy named Socrates who's running around telling everybody, uh to walk away from the wisdom of the world, walk away from worldly wisdom. What happened? They killed him for it? Well, actually they gave him a choice, same way christ had kind of had a choice. They said, you can either leave, you can be exiled, or you you you die, And he said, you know, fuck, you kill me. And it's that willing that willingness to go to his to his death for the right reasons is ultimately where we are all headed, if we are if we are doing theogic initiatory magic. I want to hear from from PD though, what do you think.
Speaker 1: Well, my first thought is in regard to what you said, Brandon taking it back and and what that immediately made me think of, what was the organic, gradual development of this idea of a soul and eventual movement into metam psychosis, and how even that model became kind of allegorized once we get into the Stoics and the Neoplatonists. But the picture of the soul in the earliest literature, in Homer, you know, the soul is like an echo, like a dim shade, a reflection of what we are a a living being.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: But somehow, somewhere, probably from the north, you know, Dodds proposes it could be the Scythians or the Thracians, which constitutes that Hyperborea, that north beyond the North. Kingsley gets into Mongolians, Tibetans, Siberian Shamans. But somehow this idea of the soul not as a shade of the self, but as the very locust of one's emotional and intellectual life enters the picture, and seemingly out of nowhere we get figures like Hermontomous Epiminites, Aristaeus, these figures that long before somebody like Robert Monroe comes along and talks about out of body experiences, we've got these these three poet philosophers, leaving their body, lying as though dead, much like we see with Parmenides and how his teacher taught him, like Ike said, stillness heskia, which is actually where we get the term for hesi chasm and orthodoxy, their ritual practice of monks not laid persons, but lying is though dead, and their souls leaving their body. But they're traveling horizontally at this point. They're traveling around the place where they already live, so they're going to other cities and reporting what they see back. It isn't until we get to someone like Parmenides where all of the sudden we get vertical soul travel, where he's going down into the underworld, meeting with the goddess there and acquiring laws. But it's a very gradual transition of this idea of soul movement, you know. But by the time Plato enters the picture. This is one reason I think in the Parmenides why he says, you know, if we're going to do this, we have to kill father Parmenides. And what does he mean by that, Well, his program is essentially reorientating soul flight and saying just like Christ did when he overturned the Greek cosmo conception. He's saying, Hades is right here, We're in it. He allegorizes the underworld and says, we are at the bottom of the chain of being. There's no further down you can go, which means soul flight reorientates, and now we go up, we ascend and we get to unite with the gods, you know, And all of this is what this gradual development of what the soul is looks like and does feeds into Christianity and changes it. And when Christ says, like at the Last Supper, like Ike was talking about a moment ago, when he says this, dude, in remembrance of me, the word he uses for remembrance is a conjugation of an amnesis. And any educated spectator that would have heard him say that would have immediately thought, oh, he's talking about Plato. He's saying that what we're about to do is going to make us remember the divine origins, the divine nature of our soul. He's talking about our soul, you know. So that's what first came to my mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's great. I think that's great. I find it interesting how this conversation is so quickly moved to Christianity, especially for and I get why it did, and I'm totally like Il that I blame he too, thank you pd.
Speaker 9: BO.
Speaker 4: Why I say that is because the Neil Playtonists were being killed off at droves by Christians in that timeframe. So it's really fascinating how then the exoteric to the esoteric is such economized, and how we can how it can be so mistrewed the allegory of a cave itself. It seems like the exoteric Christians never made it out of the cave and the esotera Christians, which I have considered myself at times, and I guess I don't know if I would anymore. But it's such a fascinating conversation, this level of remembrance because Christianity itself, I do think, And I can actually blame my schooling for this, because I studied Platonism and I have a degree in philosophy, and so I'm more my brain structures it slightly different than maybe yourself, I like, because of you were raised differently. But it's such a fascinating conversation how it moves itself forward, and so what do you think about that?
Speaker 9: And why?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, man, I mean, you read the Republic and it starts off basically, but you know, Glovcon and at Alia, they're they're asking Socrates, they're pushing him a little bit, right, it's a normal conversation, like a typical thing, but they're pushing him to say, like, Okay, let's talk about the philosopher king. Let's talk about the best possible civilization, the best possible but they state of the best governance of the police. Really, it's a it's it's not just talking about the external police, it's talking about the internal police. Yeah, of course that's a huge part of it. But what he basically says, you know, if you listen to it, if you read it, he basically he kind of basically puts it in a way where it's like, look, the best, the best of all possible situations is an agrarian sort of small thing, tribal thing almost, And then they kind of push him for like, okay, well what about about war, And it's like, okay, if you want to go that route, well, now here's this kind of like eugenics hellscape that he just lays out. It's like there is no there is anything that human beings do. Anything that we're going to do will inevitably or really indelibly be imprinted with our highest potentials and also our lows. And I think one of the things that you find a lot in Platonism in particular was a railing against worldly institutions.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Plato talks about it in his Seventh Letter, which is one of the coolest, one of the coolest pieces of Platonism, And it's the one that I think, and Daniel tell me if I'm wrong, that most scholars agree out of all the letters, is most likely authentic. So Plato's talking about how he he goes. He basically gives us right there the scheme of like why he's always talking about politics and putting in an ethical imperative on being wise, right, because he basically says, if you are not wise and you're in charge of governing people, you do a lot of harm. Okay, So there's an ethical imperative tied to philosophy. And he talks about how he don't forget he lived this was a golden age, agreed, but he lived during the time of the forty tyrants. Okay, that was like Gestapo shit, they're pulling people out of their house at night and they're disappearing. And meantime, some of those people were his relatives. So he says in his second letter, he's like, or a Seventh Letter, I was poised for a life in politics, and I walked away. I said, I'm going into philosophy. And then, you know, for anybody that's interested in really getting getting inside his his history, I would recommend reading the Seventh Letter as well. But I think that's that's really what we're talking about here. When you look at like any organization is capable of atrocities, but it's usually the smaller and at the beginning period it's very very I would say that's when it's probably most pure. But at the end of the day, like nothing's really ever at its beginning period, we're all evolving out of something else. And I think I could go on about the neoplatonic stuff, but I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. So maybe maybe I hear from PD.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned the Seventh Letter, and it's legitimacy and beyond the testimonials, it's really the best source for uh clear evidence of what the Tubingen School calls the unwritten doctrines. You know that that there is this is esoteric, as Plato's dialogues are, there is an esoteric component that was taught only within the academy. And we really get the best picture of that from the seventh the seventh Letter, and it lines up a lot with the Parmenides, because you know Plato, there's so much emphasis placed on the forms, but even in the Parmenides he allows himself to doubt the existence of the forms. But what comes in place of that isn't really spelled out until the seventh Letter, and it's what is referred to as the principles, and that it's a lot like with Empedocles. Empedocles has his four roots, which are the source of our elements in the West. Now, in modern magical traditions, it's often juxtaposed against the planets. The planets are up there, the elements are down here. For Empedocles, that wasn't the case. His roots are are very similar to Plato's forms. He identifies them with gods. Fire is Zeus, and water is Persephone, Hera is air. So they're not the elements as the building blocks of the world in kind of the way the atomists might have thought about it, even though they weren't thinking in terms of elements. But in addition to these four ruling roots, you have two factors, love and strife, that are constantly pushing and pulling the world apart. When love rules, everything comes together and we what we get is something like the Parmiti parmid Parmenidean one. Right, there's no there's no space. With these everything is is one changes. But when strife rules, we enter a picture more akin too Heraclitis's cosmos, where everything is changed, everything is kind of being pushed apart and expelling each other. Well, with the seventh letter we get the first peak at these unwritten doctrines, which are essentially Pythagorean his his Paris and a perion, which is is limit and limitlessness, limit being kin to the mona, the one, the Parmenidean idea, and then limitlessness being what has been called the indefinite diad. I think is what Aristotle calls it and his testimonial the the indefinite diad, which is the source of all multiplicity. And so what we're really looking at is similar to to Olympiodorus's reading of the story of of segraeis of Dionysius when he's he's ripped apart by the Titans. Zegraeis reperence paros limit, He's one, the one, you know, but the Titans, who Olympiodorus says, because of the t and Titan the t i, which which means in Greek something specific, something separate. So so separateness rips the one apart and dismembers the one. And now we get the the indefinite diad that creates complete multiplicity in the world. And I don't want to go far off into that because it's it's a deep, deep weight. But but to Ike's point, yes, that that alone is enough to make the seventh letter more valid than the rest of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's if you look at the Pythagorean upsilon, right, which would look like our why our letter? Why this is this this sort of triform a crossroads is this was a pedagogical sort of device, a symbolic kind of device for teaching the right or the left path, okay, particularly in in in Pythagoreanism. And we can liken these two like the path of return in the path of separateness, which have to do On the one hand, the path of separateness is selfishness, right, because we're conly identifying with self rather than all the the and the one, right. And then another one is sacrifice, which which we're constantly working for the one, and so we're we're I don't know how like technical I should get, but this idea that Proclus talks about, this reversion of of of all cycles revert upon themselves, and that's what the Pythagorean question is kind of trying to answer, is like, in this reversion, you know, do we do we stop and revert towards the one or do we see it because we all see it and then keep going the direction we were going in further further out until we're eventually pulled down to the furthest nature and then has to come back up. And what's really interesting, and I'll end on this is I guess this is like cool trivia, but you know, I'm in good company here. I like etymology. You have monas or or write the monad or end the one. They're different, but really monas in this in this case is uh the one, the monad the whole unity and the second thing, Yeah, you get the das or dad diad, which is separateness and an eternal tension or not eternal but unresolved tension, right, the indefinite tension. The root of that word dia is the root of the Latin word diavolos for devil.
Speaker 4: Nice nice. And I also want to bring it back to even Nick's very first question is like, how do how do we see this coming up in our magical traditions for today and everything like that. And I think it's really important to know that Plato and all these characters that we're talking about war initiates of the illusion mystery schools as well as other mystery schools of that time, right Plato is you know, Pythagorean at that same time as well, And these mystery schools are bringing upon the allegories and myths of right Persephone going into again what the underworld as we keep hitting on and being stuck there because she ate of the pomegranate fruit, and then you know, we're trying to express and understand these lesser and greater mysteries of how the cyclical nature, the cyclical cycles of nature are moving just like this. It's that internal understanding of the allegory of the tripartite soul, and how these cyclical natures of our own soul are you know, you know, transmigrating from one time to the next, and then they move on through the mystery schools of the ages, that golden thread that spreads itself to the many myriads of individuals, even on this panel, as we practice our own magical traditions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've heard, I've heard pd you you've referred to this particular brain right, because here's the thing. You can you can generically refer to magic as as initiation, but I don't think that's accurate. I think magic, you know, theorgy is specifically the application of the techniques and technologogies of magic to the end of the the purification, elevation and illumination of the soul. Okay, whereas like not everybody uses is it for that? But but the originy is particularly working in that dimension, which gives us the initiatory schools like the Golden Dawn orm Soul is all claiming to do that. So I think it's important, it's interesting to talk about. But I think PDA has a very unique perspective, specifically because of his work with the you just work with so many different sort of I guess what we could call them, like shamanic cultures where there's a descent and an ascent, or you've said to me before in private conversation, the descent is the ascent. But I've heard you also talk about what it is that you're interested in as models of ascent. So maybe you could talk a little bit about that in terms of Platonism or how would you how would you define models of ascent?
Speaker 1: Really, I think what makes a model a system real is the suspension of non belief and the application of belief to it. If we look at, for instance, the picture of the subtle body in Taoism, there are multiple, right, because there are multiple systems of that. You know this from your work with Chinese medicine. Yeah, there are multiple subtle bodies, whether we're talking about martial arts, acupuncture. But if we compare that subtle body to the multiple subtle bodies in Hinduism and yoga. We're so familiar with the septinary chakra system, but there are so many chakra systems depending on who you're learning from there. Some have ten, some have eight, some have three, you know, and so when we compare these pictures of the soul and the cosmos in which these traditions tell us these souls exist. Who's right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Do we take the lowest common denominator and say this is right? Or do accept the fact that the soul is so mercurial that it takes on whatever we believe to be true.
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: And I don't want to get into the territory of chaos magic. You know, I respect people who practice chaos magic, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying we can take anything and make it a divine practice. There's something special in that, and saying that there is a sanctity in that, but that's not to be clear, That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is with each of these traditions, we we we meet them on their own terms, and this is this is what this is how phenomenology works, how we move between emic and etic perspectives of a thing. We have to take it at its own word and say, okay, uh, let's let's fly this plane right now and see where you can get. So when I'm when I say i'm I'm fascinated by models of assent, what I'm I'm really saying is not how are they similar, but how are they different? And why is it that they all work? Once we suspend disbelief and apply magical fuel of of belief to the practice, then all of the sudden again the soul becomes the mercurial thing Young said it was. It can it can be anything, and it's really our imagination. And I don't mean like Fantasia, and I mean I mean the ochema, the soul vehicle, which is in Neoplatonism, the seat of our imagination. When when when you look at somebody like Young or Henry Corbon and they're talking about active imagination, they're getting that term from the neoplatonists because there's a passive imagination, which is the daydreaming faculty. But then there's an active imagination which comes about through purification of the soul. And this speaks to what I was say in a moment ago about about how we define things. When we see the word initiation in a text that's been translated from the Greek, what they're usually translating is teleta telotate does initiation means the beginning of a thing? Telltate is its telos, the completion, the perfection of it, so that what we're really talking about initiation is more akin to Catharsis, to the initial purification of the soul that's necessary for it to you know, to borrow from a Buddhist term, to become that clean mirror of the dharma that will literally reflect whatever world we can conceive, because at the in the final analysis, we're not creatures like we think we are. You know, when when we say when we say we we can unite with a God, we're not saying we can hug them. We're saying that we can remember that we are them choosing to participate in this kind of an experience and for whatever reason we can s I think it probably has a lot to do with the existential boredom that arises from being the one thing. You know, we don't know who or what we are until someone shows us to ourselves. So imagine being the one there's no no environment, you're not in a room, there's not a second, and you could say, well, God's all knowing, it says in the Bible He's omniscient. But this great theologian Orthodox elogian, John Scotus or Eugena, he says, what the fuck are you talking about God doesn't know anything. Knowledge implies duality. There has to be a knower, a known, and the knowledge between them. He's like, I'm not saying God's stupid, but whatever knowledge is, it's the province of man. So how do you, as the one, acquire self knowledge except to sacrifice yourself, dismember yourself.
Speaker 12: And and you show me I I can get a degree of self knowledge through interacting with each of you, because each of you are the one.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not this this uh. I think that's what I Amblicus is really getting at that. And Shawl really spells that in his book on Hellenistic Tantra where he compares it to aban Avagupta's tantras, that this is it. And so when Ike says, you know that the the ascent is the decent, the ascent is the descent. We're not ascending or descending. These are these are geocentric pictures of how the world works. Like Sunra says, when you get out in space, there's no up or down. You've got to be on a planet to have an up or down. You know, it's it's useful while we're here doing this thing. We're doing but the ascent is the the acent is the decent when when when we go up, it's really because the gods come down, but no motion has taken place. It's this right here is the this holy meeting ground between one thing, not two things. If that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, beautifully put, beautifully put, I would I would say, maybe we could, Like my my thoughts are, where do you see traces of this? Like that's what I want to know. Where do you see traces of this kind of stuff in Plato? Because we're you know, we're familiar with the neoplatonic elaboration of this stuff. They sort of, you know, if Plato gave us a house, they turned it into a mansion by adding rooms and kitchens and things like this. So one thing that I'm I'm I'm I'm always interested in in understanding is you know Proclus calls I think it's his commentary on Euclid, I think, but I'm pretty sure he calls Plato a mysticgog, very different than of philosophy. He calls him a mysticgog like a hiero fat somebody who reveals the mysteries. Do you think it was just this.
Speaker 9: Kind of.
Speaker 3: You know, feedback looped evolution in some way of Plato? Do you or do you think they were do you think that they were putting things in there that were, you know, stretched a little way, a little ways away from what we see when we look at the Platonic dialogues, you know, because basically what I'm trying to ask is, do you see evidence for the neoplatonic worldviews of somebody like Iamlichus Proclus Platinus in the actual Platonic dialogues or did they just kind of do you think that they just put bells and whistles on a Christmas tree, you know, so to speak, to put adorning it with these things that weren't necessarily organically there. I'm just curious because I've never we've never talked about that.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a good question, a valid question. I think what we're seeing with with the neo Platonic readings of Plato and their commentaries is a group of very profound thinkers pushing a text to its limits. I don't think they're inserting that aren't there. I think they're they're finding readings that we can't confirm or dispute because it's valid right there there reading is valid whether it's there or not. Uh, we can't say, and I'll tell you why, because we don't know what Plato thought. Plato. Plato put all all of these different perspectives in the mouths of other people, you know. And that's the beauty of the dialogue is that it allows dialectic to emerge through the interaction of these oppositional perspectives. But as far as what Plato himself thought, we don't have a fucking clue what Plato thought, you know. All we can do is read the dialogues. And that's why I say it's not up to us to determine whether the Neoplatonists readings are valid, because we're doing the same thing. We're walking away with our best perception of what they're saying, and we ourselves push these texts to their limit, even if we try to limit them and say that stuff's not in there, because we can't know that. We can't know what Plato's saying himself.
Speaker 8: And to your point, you consistently see over and over Plato saying He's like, well, I don't know anything. I'm just asking.
Speaker 11: Questions, you know, in.
Speaker 8: True Socratic method, and he's breaking things down to the essence of what the forms are, to the point that a lot of times when they get done with the conversation, the person will be like, well, I don't know what I believe anymore or what I thought I.
Speaker 6: Believe and did not know that like the.
Speaker 8: But that is that is the logical you know, as far as the logical structure of logic, rhetoric and fallacy that I think kind of comes forth into again the Christ phenomena calling himself the truth in the way and the light, you know, so he is he is you know, uh in a synchron that in a synchronistic matter, kind of bringing this this idea of truth into the modern death. And and he's claiming lineage from before the time of the Temple priest back to Maki's deck in order to you know, avert and go back to the original forms of ascended you know, thinking, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you're familiar with the work of Gomerkin, he recently passed away, fairly recently, I mean, I think it's been a year or two years year, I think, But he was involved in this this Copenhagen conference with a number of other presenters that really pissed a lot of people off, especially Orthodox Jews, because they're using textual evidence to try and determine whether or not the Jewish writings have been antedated, and if they have, what's their actual date. And if we can determine their actual date, does that tell us anything about where some of these ideas.
Speaker 8: And that's yeah, when you get into the early as far as the first five books of the Torah in the church coming out and saying these are the books of Moses, you know Voltaire, he argues and shows all and he says, you know, they're not brought up in the Psalms, they're not brought up in any of the past you know, texts, and so they just kind of it's like, yeah, as far as the dating of these things, and when these things came and there's.
Speaker 1: A new Manius, he makes this statement, he says, what is what is Plato? But Moses speaking Attic Greek, right, and he's he's Numinius is subtle, like he's making a point there and what and and that point speaks to what Gamerican conclusions are that that rabbis in exile encountered the writings of Plato, probably at the Library of Alexandria, and those writings, particularly were the Timaeus and the Laws, and whether or not the Torah existed in some form prior to that. He demonstrates it argues very very well that if it did exist, it was rewritten after the encounter with Plato. Plato's work after their encounter with Hellenism, which explains why we get something like a mercaba. You know, a soul, the sole chariot that has no precedent other than the okeema, which means chariot. And it's this sole vehicle, right, so lots of problems there, if you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean yours.
Speaker 11: Look into the darkness, find the blazing star. Focus on it would be called the eclipse. Don't feel that you should?
Speaker 1: We do?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 9: Isn't beat to turn?
Speaker 1: All?
Speaker 3: Every game?
Speaker 1: I never have him