Speaker 1: Welcome the Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life. I'm Jen Stevens, author of the New York Times bestseller Fast Feast Repeat.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sherry Bullock, longtime intermittent faster and health and wellness advocate. Please keep in mind that this podcast is for educational and motivational purposes only and is not intended to provide medical or diagnostic advice. Jen and I are not doctors, so make sure to check with your trusted healthcare professionals before making changes, especially when it comes to any medical treatments or medications.
Speaker 1: Whether you're new to intermittent fasting or an experienced intermittent faster, tune in each week to get inspired, to learn, and to have some fun along the way.
Speaker 3: Hi, everybody, we are so glad you're here today.
Speaker 1: Welcome to this week's episode of the Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life Podcast.
Speaker 3: How are you doing today, Sherry?
Speaker 2: I am doing fabulous, but tired. Yeah, I'm still tired too. So I was at Gin's last week with Froxy. We had a great time. I don't even feel like we stayed up late.
Speaker 1: Well, we started up late for me because I, you know, go to bed at nine o'clock, so for me, staying up till ten thirty or eleven is late. And then I still woke up at my normal time while y'all were not waking up yet.
Speaker 2: Well that's true. You'm like, I can't figure out why I'm so exhausted because I was going to bed very early for me, and in a different time zone, which made it even earlier for me, and then getting up earlier than I normally get up. But man, I was so tired at work, this traveling.
Speaker 1: Traveling makes you tired in general. Just riding in a car talking NonStop.
Speaker 2: Five am both Sunday and Monday morning. I was sitting at my desk and I literally is all I could do to keep my eyes open sitting at my desk. And I am never liked that. And I told Eric, and he said, well, your schedule shifted. He's like, not only were you going to bed really early, He's like, you would text me and tell me you were going to bed, and then he's like, it was so early for you. He's like, Andy, you were in a different time zone. And he's like, and then you were waking up really earlier. He's like, I think you've thrown off your normal rhythm. And it's crazy how just five or six days will just really throw you off. And yeah, so yeah, then I came home, went straight to night shifts. So today I'm just like, whew, I feel like I think a nap and it's eleven o'clock in the morning and I don't nap.
Speaker 3: Well, the time flew by. I can't believe it's already over.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: It was so loved to get together. We did such a great job with windows, Yeah, we did. We had pretty short windows. They brought. They were delicious, mostly kind of short. We had like like a one meal a day kind of a thing going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. At one point, roxy average what our windows were, and I think three and a half or was it you the average them? I think we had a half our windows all week. But yeah, it was yeah, and we ate delicious food and we did for the most part.
Speaker 3: You joined us at my trivia team. We came in third.
Speaker 2: Third. Yes, third is not first, but.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you play trivia every week, if you the only metric is we have to come in first, you would feel like a loser.
Speaker 4: Well, that's true. You can't get first every week. You can't that trivia too. They asked some of the most obscure questions too, like things that have never I have never like even studied or heard about.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think I'm a niche trivia player. I've realized I don't have a broad knowledge about a lot of things. I have a vast knowledge about a few things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I know a lot of things, but I've learned what I don't know. And But the cool thing about having a trivia team is you need people who have different types of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If it's movies, We're like, oh, gosh, I wish Megan was here tonight. She knows everything about movies, right, boy, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. Giant deficit with I don't know sports.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'll get a sports question right, But usually if it's sports, I'm like, all right, we wish Debbie was here. Debbie knows that I don't know anything about professional football like NFL.
Speaker 2: I should know more. That's one of those things that I learn it and forget it, I think, because I constantly ask Eric questions about rules. Well, then my husband watches college football in NFL, and then he watches that you SFL and they all have different rules.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: So just when I think I've figured out the rules, he's like, no, that's not the rule because this is college football or whatever. And so then I just give up because I'm like, I can't keep up with these rule changes. So he uh, yeah, he'll say, I've already explained this to you, and I'm like, yeah, but I don't even remember which team we were watching when you explain that to me. Now, I don't know if that.
Speaker 3: If the rules were different, I couldn't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, well, my husband should understand because he's all of a sudden, he gets up in the middle of the night and he'll sit there and watch TV until it's time for him to go to work or whatever. And he's been watching rugby. But he'll watch rugby, and they call it different things in different parts of the country. And y'all that are listening who live in different parts of the country, maybe I'm gonna say this wrong, but there's like the rugby in England, and then there's like rugby in Australia. But when we looked it up, it's called something if you play a certain way. But then there's like Australian football or something right, and they're all some form of rugby, but the rules are different, they are scored different, and so Eric is trying to figure it out, and I'm like, why don't you just get like a Rugby for Dummies book and read about it figure it out there. I don't know, but anyway, it's fun to learn new things. But yeah, yeah, I'm pretty sure I have forgotten more than I've ever learned about some subjects.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's what brains do. That's the part that's so amazing.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: Something will be way back in the back of your brain. You're like, I don't know where that came from, but I think that's the answer.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, I do that a lot, but it's usually about health, nutrition, biology, science related.
Speaker 1: And like one of the questions a couple of weeks ago was what punctuation mark represents?
Speaker 3: Factorial? It might have been the opposite way, what math.
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 1: I can't They might have asked what does an exclamation point mean? I think that's what they said, what does an exclamation point mean in a math equation?
Speaker 3: And my brain went factorial? What do I know that? I hadn't taken math since.
Speaker 2: See These are the things I always try to remember, is when you are using parentheses in a sentence, where does the punctuation go, Like, if there's a comma, does it go outside or inside the parentheses? And if you end a sentoms with like parentheses, does the period? And here's I've looked it up probably twenty times, and there's different rules for it, and then I can't ever remember it. But I don't want to do it wrong. So every time I type a sentence that way, I either just retype the sentence and take the parentheses out quite again. Yeah, And then I look it up again and I'm like, Okay, I don't feel like that's what it told me last time, but that's what I'll do, And yeah, I don't for whatever. Yeah, stuff like that is like in one ear out the other. I forget it as soon as you don't do every day.
Speaker 1: But it's all in the back of the brain, and it just pops right out that our brains are amazing.
Speaker 2: They really are, they really are. All right. Well, I hope y'all had as good of a week last week as we had. And this week we're going to celebrate Julie in Vermont, which is a place I really want.
Speaker 3: To go, Julie, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Have you been up there? Jin?
Speaker 3: I have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, yeah, Roxy and I were just talking about doing a road trip up northeast and just go up the coast and into Vermont and Maine. So Julian Vermont said, Hi, ladies, I have been intermittent fasting for just about one year now. I've had great success and feel amazing. I started this journey because my A and C had crept up into the diabetic range and I refused to submit to traditional protocols of medication. Through a nutritionist, I started to learn more about a diabetic friendly diet. I already had the regular exercise built into my lifestyle. I walk my dogs every single day, no matter the temperature or the weather. Fasting is what has kept the skill slowly moving in a dadword trend. Your podcasts and books gen have supported me immensely. I also am a teacher, retiring this summer after the school year. I would love to share my complete story with you, but today I wanted to share the fact that intermittent fasting has allowed me the ability to explore foods, bake and cook with such freedom. I enjoy making sourdaugh bread, bagels and other pastries, and my own yogurt. I am enjoying experiment with other delicious recipes without the fear of having to eliminate certain foods for my diet. Honestly, this is the first time in my adult life that I have had that freedom. I share my sourdough bread through selling it, gifting it, and hosting classes. I look forward to retiring so that I can continue building my knowledge and sharing this knowledge with friends and family. I also share about intermittent fasting whenever people ask me how I continue to look younger. I am fifty six years young and I've taught for thirty four years. I have three children and one grand baby, two dogs, and a husband. They all love to eat, and I love to cook for them. I have lost about fifty five pounds and follow an average of a nineteen to five intermittent fasting schedule. I love the flexibility. I love the freedom from constant hunger. I love the improved health. My husband has adopted the lifestyle alongside me and has seen thirty five pounds lost as well. I now see a number on the scale that I have never seen in my adult life. I am constantly amazed at that progress and the process. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this amazing lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Well, that is amazing, Julie, and that's what we like to hear. I'm glad that you're doing so well, and it really is an amazing lifestyle.
Speaker 2: And I love that. It just shows your teacher at heart. Here you are getting ready to retire from or by the time we've read this, you probably have retired from teaching school.
Speaker 3: But look at you.
Speaker 2: You're now you're teaching people how to make sardough bread.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: We can't stop teaching, No, that is the truth. If you're a teacher, you teach people things wherever you go.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: It's just what you do. I was born that way. So now we have a question from a listener. This question is from Sally in Ontario. Hello, am I darlinks She spelled it like darlink. Trying to do a justice. Love you love the podcast. I was sixty eight when I started IF and I'm sixty nine now.
Speaker 3: This is my fifth month.
Speaker 1: As weight loss programs or life styles go intermittent fasting is the easiest thing I've ever done, bar none. Like most of you, I too have done just about all of them. I like that the hunger goes away once you get used to if I never thought this could happen to me. Yes, some days are harder than others, but there are more easy days than challenging ones. I am so proud of myself. Yes, at sixty nine you can lose weight. My concern is that I'm starting to get shaky and lightheaded by about one PM. My window is normally between one thirty and six thirty. This is something new, and it's not every day, but it's happening more often than not. I'm five foot three and weigh one hundred and forty seven pounds, down from one sixty three. Why is this happening?
Speaker 3: All right? She's got more questions, but you want to just do just one?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, couple things. Sally, you do not discuss whether or not you're on any kind of medication. So if you are taking any sort of medication, whether it be something for blood pressure or for your heart rates, it's very possible that due to fasting, that those medications maybe may not be necessary or you may need a lower dose. So this is something we hear from people after they start fasting. They don't even think that their blood pressure medication could be affecting them, but it does, and very very quickly into intermittent fasting. A lot of people are able to reduce or even stop taking blood pressure medication. So if that is something that's going on with you, I would start taking your blood pressure when you feel that way, see how your blood pressure is, and then talk to your doctor about an adjustment. Okay, so then let's pivot. You don't take anything like that. You've never had a problem with your blood pressure. Feeling lightheaded or shaky. Two things. One, you could be inadvertently breaking your fast. If you've been doing a five hour window for five months, you should be metabolically adapted by now. You should be shifting into fat burning and you should not be getting shaky and lightheaded from that. If you are still in your first four to eight weeks, I would say that's kind of normal. As your body starts to shift into fat burning, you feel that, and you're saying you normally open your window about one pint thirty. But I would not suspect this is happening for you. This should not be happening for you unless there's something sneaky going on in your fast that is causing an insulin response. So pay attention to anything that you could be ingesting during your fast, whether it's a medication, a supplement, a new kind of coffee, maybe you're drinking a bottled iced tea, or some people, as they become more insulin sensitive, just find that they can't drink tea or coffee during their fasts. You know, both of those things can give you a little boost of glycogen, pushing it out from your liver, and if you have a strong insulin response to that, it could make you a little hypoglycemic, making you feel this way. Then there's this whole other caveat. This is why it's so hard for us to tell you exactly what's going on. You're going to have to do some problem solving on your own. I feel shaky and lightheaded when I am a little dehydrod. When I see dehydrod, I don't mean just water. I mean when my level of electrolytes water, sodium, potassium are not in balance. I get very lightheaded. It's something that happens to me when I stand up, or if I bend over and then I stand up, I'll get super light headed. Swimmy, everything goes black for a second. I got to hold onto something. If that's happening to you, that could be an electrolyte issue. So make sure that you are not over hydrating during your fast, and then during your window make sure that you're eating lots of electrolyte rich foods. So you're wanting to take food in that have a lot of potassium and magnesium naturally in them, and then you know, if it continues to happen, you're just going to have to do some brainstorming. Talk to your doctor. He might suggest a potassium supplement. Some people just feel better just from putting some salt under their tongue. And I'm not talking table salt. Gets you some good salt. There's one called Baja Gold that is a good salt. I like it. There's Redman's real salt, and you can actually just put it sublingually under your tongue, suck on it. It gets into your body really quick that way, and you can try that now. Some people get really hungry when they taste salt. Me Jin's one of those. I'm convinced it's because your body thinks you're gonna eat something delicious like French fries or potato chips. But I don't have the real answer for why that promotes hunger like that and some people. It does not happen to me, and it actually helps me. So another way you can tell if you're deficient in sodium is to put some salt in like eight ounces of water, like a quarter teaspoon of salt. If you can't taste that salt water, if it doesn't taste like saltya water to you, you probably need some sodium. And some people just need a little more sodium than others. So those are some things to play with and to kind of monitor you have an everything else on that, Jen, Those.
Speaker 1: Are exactly the things I was going to talk about exactly, except probably not electrolytes because I never think of that because I got no electrolyte problem. Right, I was going to talk about medication and also accidentally breaking your fast. All right, So here's more, she says, another question, I have gastritis. Apparently the recommendation is to eat several small meals throughout the day. Coffee is acidic, especially decaf, also carbonated beverages and some teas. I'd like to know what you suggest getting around this by about noon, the acid starts in my stomach and can get worse depending on what I eat. I'm trying to stay off the meds. Is they are terrible fear of microbiome. Now I'm confused a little bit because she said by noon it gets worse what she eats, but she still fasting at noon.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thinking that she starts feeling acid stomach around noon, and then when she eats, the acid stomach feels worse.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh that makes sense. Okay.
Speaker 2: So Number one, if you have gastritis, I hate to tell you this, but there are some low acid coffees out there. You can do a Google search for low acid coffees and you could try that carbonated beverages. They do change the pH of your stomach tease, you may just not be able to fast with those things. With that said, a lot of the way times the way you brew your coffee makes it different as well. Cold brew is the least acidic, so if you've not tried cold brew, you might find a good quality cold brew. There's two organic brands of cold brew I like. We are not sponsored by them, but I'll tell you their names. They are fast safe. One is Chameleon comes in a little glass bottle. It is a cold blue brew concentrate and you mix it with water to taste. The other one is called Busy b Izzy. I like their espresso blend. It's very smooth. It does not taste acidic to me, and again you can cut it with water to taste. So you might try cold Brood just because it is known to be a less acidic coffee the way it's brood. But other than that, yes, I would definitely just cut out conventionally brood coffees and carbonated water up, sparkling water or whatever from your fast. Try to fast with just plain water, still water and see if that makes a difference. You can also add some baking soda to your water. I do not have the actual amounts that you're supposed to use, but you can look it up. Look up a baking soda and water for indigestion or heartburn or whatever. Actually I have it right here. It is a half a tea spin of baking soda in four ounce glass of water. You can do it every four hours. This will not break your fast. What it does it just balances the pH in your stomach. So you can try that all right.
Speaker 1: We have one more question, and I actually wonder if this might be why she's feeling lightheaded and shaky.
Speaker 3: She said, does creatine break a fath?
Speaker 2: It absolutely does. That is not something you want to take during your fast. That is something that you want to take in your eating window. So yes, I had not read ahead. That could be what was making her feel poor if she's taking that during the fast.
Speaker 1: We had a community member who, just like last week, misunderstood us on the podcast. I mean, it makes sense you're doing other things, you're listening. You don't catch everything if I'm cleaning the house, so while I'm listening to something, I might miss it. But she misunderstood about creatine and took some during the fast. And she's like, oh my gosh, I took some creatine during my fast and then I was shaky and I felt terrible.
Speaker 3: I was starting. It broke my fast. We're like, yes, it does break your fast.
Speaker 1: But she misunderstood us, And so if some bo is having a supplement like that, it could absolutely lead to you feeling shaky. And we appreciate the community member telling us that that happened because it reinforces right, you know, we say don't take this during the fast, and then someone does and they're like, oh my gosh, I felt shaky and awful.
Speaker 3: That's not how I normally feel.
Speaker 1: When you share that, that gives like reinforcement to the idea that, yes, that is not something to have during your fast. Keep that in your eating window, creating in your eating window.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, all right, So we have another question from Annalie. She said, Hey, ladies, I'm surrounded by friends who take GLP ones and or have had weight loss surgery. I don't want either, but seeing them lose weight is getting harder to not want to cave in and use something to help get a good foundation started. I found out about Jen and the Clean Fast in twenty nineteen, and after a few podcasts, I just knew this was the lifestyle for me. Never once questioned the Clean Fest or the science behind it. I don't know why, but I can't seem to get my mindset in the right place. I do really good for a very short time, usually about a month, and then something will send me back to eating all day. I know it's up to me to get my mindset there, but I guess I'm writing in hopes that for some encouragement directed specifically at me, so that will finally push me over to success. Thank you for all you do, and I look forward every week to listening.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's look into those two options, golp ones or weight loss surgery. You know, there are people who lose a great deal of weight with both of those, right. You know, I've had people in my Facebook timeline go through both of those things, and you can really tell, and they talk about their journeys and they lose a lot of weight, and then what happens generally over time, Over time, you see the weight starts to come back. Right, So both of those strategies can lead to a great deal of weight loss. But both of those strategies can also lead to a lot of rebound weight gain. And especially with weight loss surgery, you are permanently altering your body. And I want you to think really, really long and hard about that. You know, there are lots and lots of negative long term effects, you know, dumping syndrome, nutritional abies, yeah, malabsorption, right, so many things you you know can't eat, you know, a large volume of food or it literally makes you sick and you feel bad, like like shaky and it affects your body and the way your body functions forever. Okay, So I know it might seem like, well, there's my solution, because I can't eat so much, I'm going to lose weight. But then you know, people tend to find kind of ways around it, right, There's something called slider foods where you were like, you can't eat a lot, but you could drink a milkshake. Or often people will become alcoholics after weight loss surgery when they never had that problem before and now they're suddenly turning to alcohol. We've heard that so many times from people that have struggled with so weight loss surgery is not a solution that I would turn to without a lot of thought. Did you want to add anything else about weight loss surgery, Shary?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, And you know a lot of times people are prompted to have weight loss surgery because they are having other health concerns. But really what you're trading is maybe you know, high blood sugar or high blood pressure, or you know, joint and body ache pain, just for other medical issues down the line. And I recently saw a research study about weight loss surgery and that these can lead to severe liver dysfunction and even liver failure. So you know, like I just think like this is a temporary solution that may result in immediate weight loss, but it's not a long term solution for health and longevity, right where fasting can be all of that, all of that, and weight loss surgery may seem easy, like, oh, I don't have nothing to work, but it is not, because you still have to. And this is why weight loss surgery fails for so many people. You have to address the reason behind weight gain in the first place, whether it's psychological, emotional, or you know the fact that you have past traumas you haven't dealt with then you use food as a way to cope, or you just that you have no nutritional foundation and you just don't know how to fuel your body in a healthy manner, and weight loss surgery doesn't take those things away. And unfortunately, I mean, I personally think it's criminal to do these surgeries on people and not provide therapy and not provide nutritional counseling so that they can move on in a different healthier manner than they were in prior to the surgery. And I just see this time and time again, and I have had so many weight loss surgery patients come into the ear. They've got complications either immediately after or years after the surgery, and they have told me that nobody told them the risks. They only told them the benefits, and they wish that they'd never had the surgery. And it's one of those things. Once you have it done, you can't have it undone.
Speaker 3: You permanently altered your body.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: And now let's move on to GLP ones. And I know that's another one of those things that seems like everyone's doing. It's got to be so easy, right, No, there are definitely side effects that come along with this. And basically, if you're taking anything that suppresses your appetite, you're going on a starvation level diet. I remember back in the day, for me, it was Fentermine got it from a doctor, so I thought that was a good thing to do. Watched a friend lose a lot of weight on it, and the like, sign me up when to my doctor got some And basically you're eating on a starvation level diet that has metabolic consequences.
Speaker 3: You know, if you've read Fast Feast Repeat.
Speaker 1: You remember I talked about the Minnesota starvation experiment I talked about the biggest loser study. Starvation level dieting slows are metabolic rate. You can barely eat, so you're barely eating, and that is not a healthy way to lose weight going on a starvation level diet. And also we know from the research on these GLP ones a lot of people lose a lot of muscle mass along the way. And again, like Sherry mentioned, this is not teaching you how to make changes. So you know, you said you want just a little something to help you get a good foundation started. Well what if this little something comes with a whole lot of metabolic negative effects And now you're going to try to go to fasting, But because your metabolism is so slow, you're going to gain back all the weight plus more. And also fasting is going to be harder because your body is fighting back.
Speaker 3: So I would really.
Speaker 1: Like to encourage you to focus on the clean fast plus real food. You know, I think that all of the ultra processed foods and the creamers, the flavored waters that do everything that calls to us and makes us, you know, cave in or think we can't fast clean, or we just need a little something. It's it's those ultra processed foods, the flavored foods, the sweetened foods, the creamers. If you could focus on a clean fast, a window that feels like a lifestyle, and then nourish your body well within it. You know, we have natural hormones in our body that tell us when we've had enough. You know, I just did a YouTube video about this, you know, asking yourself, am I satisfied? Food quality matters. You know, we want physical satisfaction. That means eating you know, bulky food that engage your stretch receptors and let your brain know that you have a lot of food in there. That's important. You know, we want to be nutritionally satisfied. We also have in our digestive tract that let us know what nutrients are like nutrients sensors. You want to think about it like that. And so we need to be nutritionally satisfied and also emotionally satisfied. We need to feel like we've had something that was delicious. So if you focus on nourishing your body, giving your body real food, eating until you're physically and emotionally satisfied with this real delicious food plus the clean fast, you know you're not missing out on anything.
Speaker 3: You're able to have.
Speaker 1: The food that you want, you feel good, and you're not damaging your body. You're not permanently changing your body. I know that's what you want to do. So how can you flip that mindset switch to doing what you want to do? What's holding you back? And that's that's what I'm not sure about, Annalie. Is it creamy coffee That seems to be a big one. A lot of people they want to fast clean, but I had a hard day, that creamy coffee is calling.
Speaker 3: I deserve it, and then then you're eating all day? So what is it? What is your stumbling block? What gets you?
Speaker 1: Figure out what gets you and then address that thing, whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: That's exactly I was going to say, Like, until you can figure out what that thing is that is that is sending you back to all day eating, whatever it is, whether it's emotional eating, whether it's a hard day, whether it's stress in your life, whether it's creamy coffee, Like, you've got to really sit down and figure out that one thing is and solve that problem. Solve that problem. If it's emotional eating, you know, figure out what you can do to self soothe that doesn't include food. Maybe it's time for some therapy, you know, maybe it's time to work on your self esteem. Maybe it's time to work on healing. Maybe it's time to work on getting rid of of relationships that cause you stress or grief in your life, you know, whatever that is. You know, therapy can even just help you learn new coping mechanisms, and they can help you learn, you know, when you have these thoughts of I have a bad day, I deserve x y Z, it's time to replace those thoughts with I've had a bad day. I deserve to be healthy, happy and achieve success. And so yeah, just figure out what is derailing you from a fasting lifestyle. And once you solve that, conquer that little hurdle, then you can find the success you seek. And I also just wanted to throw in there, once you can find consistency with if you are going to achieve naturally the things that your friends are achieving through artificial means. Fasting in itself promotes GLP one, it promotes that hormone in your body. Exercise does, Choosing whole foods does so if once you can conquer them, ye, I'm going to wake up and clean fast every day. The pieces really will fall into place for you.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And neither GLP ones or weight loss surgery solve the underlying issues. And I get it because remember I just talked about how I took all those weight loss drugs from my doctor, and that didn't solve my underlying issues. It like artificially kept my appetite low, right, That's all it did.
Speaker 3: But you know what else does that?
Speaker 1: The clean fast without all of the side effects and the metabolic problems, and I nourish my body well, I feast in my eating window.
Speaker 3: I feel amazing.
Speaker 1: So write us back and let us know how you're doing anmily. All right, Now it's time for our segment called What's Your Why. Most of us begin with weight loss in mind, that's a great reason to start, but there is so much more to what intermittent fasting can do for us beyond weight loss.
Speaker 3: When your why is deeper.
Speaker 1: Than weight loss alone, I genuinely believe you're going to find long term success and you're going to view intermittent fasting as a lifestyle.
Speaker 2: So this week we have a why from great Pool in California. My wife started as weight loss. It morphed into health and then recently got even more specific and hit me like a ton of bricks. Being here for my children as long as I can. My seventeen year old son struggles with so many different issues and will probably live with us longer than the norm. I want to be here to support him and help him thrive.
Speaker 3: He needs me.
Speaker 2: My twenty one year old daughter and I are very close and we talk almost every day. She leans on me for advice and just to be a listening ear, and I want to be around for her. I also want to know my grandchildren if I am so lucky, and help my kids with them in any way I can. So when it gets hard, I remember all of this and it lifts me. Sending my love to both of you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that all right.
Speaker 2: So we have a question from Jane in Denver. Jane rates Hi. I'm fifty eight and five foot seven. I've been doing intermint basting consistently for four years. I went from the mid one eighties to the mid one fifties easily and quickly. In the beginning, I would do a five hundred calorie down day, two or three days a week, and I lost weight fast. I sometimes would split my five hundred calories into two meals as I struggled with hunger getting through my workday. And after about three or four months, I easily maintained not being remotely strict with times or food choices. I constantly would reopen my window if I felt like eating, and yet I still maintained I like junk and alcohol and moderation, and I never hesitated when I wanted something. A typical week on the zero app of fasting may have been nineteen seventeen, eighteen, thirteen, sixteen, twenty to twenty two, and another week might have been anywhere from fifteen to twenty, and just for informational purposes, I averaged those out, and those two weeks would have averaged to like seventeen and a half hour fast to just over eighteen hour fasts. Anyway, she says, I would throw in the occasional down day if I was feeling thick, if I was hungry, I opened my window at eight. I always tracked the fast, never the window. I had good energy and I felt like this was easy. But earlier this year I went on vacation and I indulged nothing crazy. Since then, five months later, I have about five to seven pounds that I cannot seem to get rid of. I've got as low as one fifty seven after a lot of exercise, but then it pops right back up to one sixty or one sixty one. In the last month, I've gotten really strict with my windows, going to four or five hour eating windows in the hopes of losing this weight. But I am so hungry, which makes me think I've lost my fat adaptation. The hunger builds, it is not in waves. I get so hungry I cannot think straight. I've also been lifting weights since just recently my arms started to look untoned. I've always been active, not much of a weightlifter, though I have also felt very tired. I go to bed tired, I wake up tired. I'm feeling tired all day. This is how I felt in my forties when I had a young child, a demanding job, and a soso marriage, and an extra thirty to forty pounds. I feel like maybe I need to cut out bread, ice cream, rice, etc. But I've never had to cut those out in the past, and I feel hungrier when I try to do low carb. I have cut out alcohol, unless it's just one or two went out with friends. My clothes fit but not as well. My face doesn't look as pretty, and I'm frustrated. I do try the five hundred calorie down days, but I struggle to be consistent with them. Is I find that after a couple of down days, I am hungry all the time, like a bottomless pit. This was so easy for so long, and now I'm really struggling. I would love your insight. Thank you so much for all you do. I am a big, big fan. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 3: Jane.
Speaker 1: All right, so, Jane, something that jumps out at me is that you talk about your down day, but you never mention up days at all. And you also are doing something we don't recommend, and that is five hundred calorie down days splitting it into two meuals.
Speaker 3: We don't recommend that either.
Speaker 1: We recommend that you have your five hundred calories all at once, so like you would fast clean if you're doing a down day, fast clean all day and then have your one five hundred calorie meal and then start a second fast. And I always recommend to have that five hundred calori meal late enough in the day so that you don't have time to be hungry again before bedtime. Then you need to have a full up day and eight to twelve hours really airing on the side of three meals in twelve hours. So since you never mentioned the word upday ever a single time, I'm wondering if you are not having a sufficient upday, that would be my number one guess. And if you are having down days and then not having a sufficient update, that's going to damage your metabolism over time, because the upday is what gives you that metabolic boost. That's why ADF works so well. So if you're just like having your five hundred calorie down day, having it in two meals instead of one, and then having I don't know what you're doing the next day, but it's not really up, then you're going to be hungry and your body is going to send you the signal over time, it's going to build and build and build, eat eat, eat, eat eat. We learned that from the Minnesota starvation experiment. Over restriction over a long period of time sends you extreme hunger. That's what our bodies are designed to do, so that might be what's happening. So I have some homework for you. I want you to get a copy of the second edition of Delay Don Deny. If you don't already have it, make sure it's the second edition, and I want you to read the ADF chapter and I want you to see if that's really how you've been doing it. If the answer is no, then that's the problem. That being said, I don't want you to eat less less less right now. You know you said you're trying to do, you know, a four to five hour window and you're hungry all the time like a bottomless pit. You need to have some substantial refeeding in there so that your body knows you're not starving. That's really really important. Whenever the urge to binge starts increasing over time, that's a sign that what you're doing is perceived by your body as overly restrict Now, on the flip side, it's all so possible that you are somehow accidentally breaking your fast and you don't know it, like I'm going to throw out creatine. Maybe you've just started adding a creatine supplement in the morning because somebody told you it didn't break a fast, and now you're starving all the time because you're accidentally breaking your fast. Or it could be anything not just creating any kind of supplement or anything that's different and so, or maybe you started an electrolyte that has fast breaking ingredients in it, whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: Really examine your fast.
Speaker 1: If you're starving all the time out of the blue, examine your fast or see if you've accidentally been over restricting. Those are the two reasons that I can think of that really might cause you to be starving all the time.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Sherry.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to address too, that she said that she feels like, you know, she can see a difference in like her skin, and that she's starting to feel like she looks old and untoned, and that she's, you know, very very tired all the time, waking up tired, going to bed tired. You're fifty eight years old, so you've probably been in menopause for a couple of years at least now. And you know, as we once we're postmenopausal, our bodies do start to change, and our skin starts to change because of the lack of estrogen, and you know, our muscle tone changes. We do lose muscle. We have to work harder to maintain and manage our muscle. But it's the fact too that you're saying that you're really, really feeling exhausted. And something that people don't often know is that menopause can be a real it can really throw us into hypothyroidism. And so if you're feeling very, very tired and fatigued all the time, and you're feeling really hungry, and you know, maybe time to go see your doctor, have some you know, have a checkup, have some basic labs drawn, have a full thyroid piano drawn, make sure that everything looks good there. And then yeah, just rule out that there's not something metabolically going on with you that's making you feel so bad, because I can't think of any reason why five to seven pounds of weight gain is going to suddenly make you feel so sluggish, tired and not feel great. And as long as you're fast and clean every day and you're eating in a four to five hour window, like you said, you should absolutely be fat adapted and you should be flipping the metal box switch and you should be having energy and feeling good. So there's something going on if you're not all right.
Speaker 1: We have a question from Ingrid from Amsterdam. Hi, ladies, I started if in January of twenty twenty four, and I was very successful with sixteen eight. I lost thirty five pounds in about nine months and felt great. My husband, who was very attached to his breakfast, as in get up early to read the paper with a big breakfast before work, figured out that was all in his head and join me in fasting. It's clear to me now that I never cleaned fasted, since I would drink bone broth at night after a tough workout or have a cappuccino in the morning at work.
Speaker 3: Yet I still lost weight.
Speaker 1: In January of this year, I had a family emergency and I was back in San Francisco, my home, for three months. Due to stressful times and difficult situations in the hospital, I completely fell off the wagon and I ate all day every day. When I came back, I had gained twenty pounds and none of my clothes fit. I started IF again, bought your book Fast Feeus to repeat, and started listening to your podcast. It's been three weeks now and the scale won't move. Since I have always been a fast loser and gainer, this is new. I am playing with different fasting windows. Eighteen six, nineteen five, twenty four. I won't give up. My question is is it okay to switch daily depending on work schedules. I do eighteen six as a minimum, but some days may be very different. Any advice, I am clean fasting now.
Speaker 2: By the way, okay, Well, if you have Gen's book Fast Peace repeat you said you bought it, go back and review the fast start chapter and basically when you resumed fasting.
Speaker 3: Or started she started. I have to say the fact that.
Speaker 2: You never clean fasted before meant you weren't truly fasting, not from like a metabolic standpoint, because if you were taking in energy during your fast, then your body had no reason to dip into your fat stores for energy, and you were not keeping your insulin low and you know, so basically what you were doing prior to coming back to you know, Amsterdam and starting if again is you are now fasting for the first time, and before that you were doing a low calorie diet. And because of the way you were doing that, it's going to take your body time to like you're a brand new faster. And this is why we tell people during the fast start, follow one of the fast start I want to call them programs, what do you call them? In the book protocols, Yeah, protocols, plans, protocols, yes, aproach. So you know, it sounds like you're kind of doing a little bit of this, a little bit that, But really you want to work through the system so that your body has time to become metabolically adapted to be able to flip over into fat burning. That's not going to happen in three weeks likely, especially if you had three months of just all day eating, and then once that happens, that's when your body starts shifting into fat burning. That's when we see fat loss. So we would never expect anybody to see the scale moving in three weeks, and in some cases it can actually go up a little bit. It did for me. I gained eight pounds over my first six weeks of intermint fasting. So just give it time. It's not going to happen fast, but give your body time to adapt to the clean fast to get your body shifting into fat burning, and you will get there. And then as far as switching up your protocols each day, here's what I would suggest. I have a varied work schedule home in life, they don't match. When I eat each day is not the same from day to day. Rather than saying I'm going to do eighteen six or I'm going to do twenty four, I'm going to do nineteenth five. Take the fast out of the equation. Don't even worry about the fast. Look at that day based off of your work schedule, life schedule, whatever. Settle into a boundary of I'm going to have a five hour eating window today, and then look ahead at your day and say, okay, today, realistically, I can close my window it's seven pm, and then don't open your window prior to two pm, and that is setting you up for a very consistent eating window. If you are satisfied and full and you're done at six pm, go ahead and close your window. You had a four hour window. If you need the full five hours, use the full five hours. But just settle in that way, using your body as a guide for when you've had enough within that timeframe. And that just me. That's I think that eliminates a lot of the confusion with trying to work a window in around your work schedules. If they're buried and congratulations on clean fasting.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And I wanted to address on one sentence in there, you're talking about how what you did before you were not really fasting because you were having bond broth and cappuccinos in the morning. And then he said, yet I still lost weight, And of course you did, because we can lose weight lots and lots of ways. Like I think back, you remember me talking about earlier in this episode, how I took.
Speaker 3: Finnermine, which crushed my appetite. I was not fasting.
Speaker 1: I was eating tiny little amounts of food and beverages all throughout the day, all the time. I was basically extreme low calorie dieting, and I did lose weight. Right As long as I kept to that extreme low calorie dieting, the weight stayed off. When I realized I felt like crap having those diet pills and stopped taking them, I gained fifty pounds in eighteen months.
Speaker 3: The weight just flew right on.
Speaker 1: And you think about that, you were gone for three months, you gain twenty pounds in three months.
Speaker 3: That's what happens when we're doing a low calorie diet.
Speaker 1: Whether it's because you're accidentally not fast and clean, or you're taking thinner mean like I was, or whatever it is, glp ones, whatever, that low calorie diet is when you stop doing it, you gain weight so quickly. Like I said, fifty pounds in eighteen months for me, and then I was all screwed up. That's when I really started gaining a lot of weight until I ended up obese. And so it wasn't until fasting. Now fast and clean living the intermitt infesting lifestyle, I have healed my metabolism and I'm able to keep the weight off. But as Sherry said, we don't expect weight loss in the first month, and you've got to really give your body some time for your metabolic rate to even out all of that. So keep going. You've got this.
Speaker 2: All right. So before we get to the tweak of the week, I just want to take a minute to tell you about a device that is a lifesaver in my household. My husband, I prefer to sleep at very different temperatures, and I have learned that my body prefers different temperatures over the course of the night. When I go to bed, I'm always freezing, but then I wake up in the middle of the night hot, but come morning around six am, I get even hotter. And having a dual zone bedjet, which where I can customize and schedule our own sleeping temperatures. Even setting up bio rhythms has been a huge lifesaver for us. This is just a device that you plug in under your bed and it blows air up through a special sheet to each side of the bed and you get to set your own temperature. It is clinically proven by to improve sleep. My husband and I have noticed a big improvement in the quality of our sleep once we added it. It removes body moisture and sweat from the bed. My husband is the sweatiest sleeper. It is gross. He does not sleep sweaty anymore. We are also saving energy costs because we don't have to heat and cool the entire house while sleeping just to keep our bedroom at the preferred temperature for sleeping. It's been a life saver year round. We have noticed the benefits in the winter and in the heat of the summer, and anytime that I travel, like when I went to Gin's last week, or on the weekends for work where I stay with a friend. I miss my bedget so much. So if you are tired of sleeping hot or cold, or your partner and you just can't decide on a comfortable thermostat temperature for sleeping. Stop the arguing, get yourself a Bedget it's just amazing. I don't know how we live so long without it. So I have a link in the show notes for this episode, or you can always go to fast feast dot com slash Sherry that's sah er I and you can find a link there to check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's miserable to sleep at the wrong temperature.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: I woke up this morning really hot because my thermostat turned off. Got a service call, so I'm going to come in and look at it. But I was like, why am I so hot? I need a bedjet Sherry.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's funny is I can tell when my husband gets out of bed to go to work in the middle of the night because I get freezing. Oh he is so hot. My husband puts out so much energy that he makes me warmer in the bed. But I will wake up and all of a sudden, I'll be freezing and I'll ask him later like what time did you get up? And he'll tell me and usually within about twenty to thirty minutes of him getting out of the bed, you're cold. I'm cold, and I sleep with my little remote from my bedjet in the bed and I just tick notch up the temperature a couple degrees and then I'm back to sleep.
Speaker 1: Awesome fy. So well, time for our tweak of the week. You know, I always say tweak it till it's easy. But the tweak that works for me might not be the one that works for you. That's why it's super helpful to hear how other intermittent fasters are making intermittent fasting work for them.
Speaker 3: This is from Angela in Omaha.
Speaker 1: Angela says, I struggle to stop eating when I am satisfied in my window. I came up with a new visualization that is helping me that I wanted to share with others. We would never overfill our gas tank in our cars. It would be terrible to have gasoline overflowing everywhere. Why then do we overfill our body's gas tank. I hate the idea of waste and the environmental impact of gas flowing everywhere, so this idea has helped me try to avoid waste and overfilling myself. Thanks for all you both do.
Speaker 2: I love the podcast and Angela, that is an amazing analogy that is almost verbatim and analogy that I use in the community. People said, well, I hate to throw away food. It's so wasteful, and I'm like, you know, that's like over inflating your tires in your car so that you don't have to inflate them a year from now, or you know, like you said, letting gas overflow because you want it so full, but then it's just a waste. And it's the same with our bodies. Once you're satisfied, you're satisfied, you don't need any more. So well, we'd love to leave you with inspiration or motivational quotes, and this week we have a quote from Janet in College Station, Texas and the quote is from Nick Saban, a former head coach for Alabama football. The quote is, there are two pains in life. There's the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment. And I just think that is so powerful.
Speaker 3: Discipline is required, right, anything worth doing, flossing your teeth, anything that's good for you. Thanks so much for listening today.
Speaker 1: We would love to have you join us and the Delayed on Tonight community where you can interact with both me and Sherry, plus the most supportive bunch of intermittent fasters you'll find anywhere. Go to Jenstevens dot com slash community to join us.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to subscribe to this podcast to your favorite podcast app, and if you haven't already, please leave us a five star review that helps new listeners find the show, and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We are a community driven podcast, so to submit your success stories, your questions, your favorite tweak it till It's Easy, moments, or anything else you want us to share on the podcast, go to Fast Feast Repeat dot com slash submit and then listen each week to see if we share your submission or answer your question.
Speaker 2: Until next week. Thanks for listening