Speaker 1: All right, let's do this. It is hump Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome into a Wednesday edition of Kentucky and This Morning News, Coffee and Company right here on news Radio weeight forty whas.
Speaker 1: The gang is here.
Speaker 2: The crew has assembled, myself, Nick Coffee, Scott Fitzgerald, We've got John Shannon and of course mister Radio Rick Ryder alongside, and hump Day. Hump Day's here, fellas. I'm starting to hit that, all right, the countdown is on. So I'm on vacation, not next week with the week after and looking forward to it. But the time's going to drag until I get there. But also, I know I've said it a million times, why not say it once more? How has the summer gone by this fast?
Speaker 1: It has? Brother, I cannot believe.
Speaker 3: In fact, I've got so much sports today that will not get to it all.
Speaker 1: And I was thinking about that as I was preparing it.
Speaker 3: We're now officially entering fall crossover season because training camps. Everybody's reporting training camps.
Speaker 1: Dude, there is so much sound, there's so much news.
Speaker 2: How about the drama at these conference media days? That it's going to be fun. It's like middle school drama. They just they're caddy. College football produces the caddiest environment as far as just you know, it's little jabs at one another and and it's all really just about you only played twelve games in the regular season, so you try to do everything you can to let your words maybe influence how people perceive you. And that's certainly going on before the seasons even started.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was. I was listening to signetti yesterday and he me, I wait to talk about that.
Speaker 3: He reminds me of my government high school teacher when he would he would talk. He he was a long pauser, so he'd say something and they'd stop and then he'd get a jab in.
Speaker 1: He's very passive aggressive.
Speaker 2: I don't think people can pick up on his humor right away exactly because he he doesn't really deliver it in a way that people instantly realize. Okay, he was being funny there. He was being being a smart ass exactly. Yeah, it's the summer is flying by. We had my son had his first Uh I mean they're doing conditioning now for five year old flag football Scott.
Speaker 1: We had conditioning, Yeah, started him early, right, Wow, what does that entail?
Speaker 2: So cone drills, high knees, bear crawls, those kind of things, just sprints. They did some snapping of the ball last night. But yeah, they're starting them early, and I'm loving it. But it's a lot, yeah, a lot seeing the parent.
Speaker 3: Do you still go out and watch all the practices now?
Speaker 2: So he's so young, and that's what's crazy is that he's he just turned five. This is his second year playing flag football. He has played baseball three years now, te ball, i should say, and then he's now in his second league of basketball. So I don't think I played anything organized until probably about three to four months down the line from where he is right now. So yes, we stay because if we left, he would he would lose his mind because, you know, especially early on because he's just getting to know some of his teammates and whatnot. But yeah, it's uh, we're starting him early. And last night, sitting there in the in the hot, humid evening, I just remember thinking, Okay, this is life now.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Now a lot of my free time will be doing whatever I need to do because my kids play sports, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But I've yet to even get to the further complaint that you hear from parents, which is just how.
Speaker 3: Expensive it is almost having kids in anything, you don't never remember the magical moment when I first dropped my son off at practice and I didn't have to stay at practice anymore.
Speaker 1: I mean, the angels sang from the heavens above. And I went home and I told my wife, I said, what do we do? You know, we don't, and you get to your point, but it's a good one.
Speaker 2: Do we do?
Speaker 1: Right, It's a very good way because we're doing that now.
Speaker 3: In fact, we get We're going to Cincinnati this weekend to see my son and he's working all weekend, but we're still going to see him.
Speaker 1: And my wife's like, well, he's working all weekend. I said, hello, I'm here. That's just a nice little getaway.
Speaker 3: There's a big music fest in downtown Cincinnati this weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's you and I hanging out. You'll find all that. You'll find your way to Ryan Geist or something like that.
Speaker 1: I must stop by Moreland first.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Then I mentioned the Cincinnati breweries I don't.
Speaker 2: Even know about, but I know when you got a weekend trip, you're going to find a way to get to a Bruce.
Speaker 1: That's just that's your I know your brandy on you, I'm argue, man, man be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I've yet to experience just the cost associated with it. But speaking of that, I'm balancing the the good and kind of sad, which is really good that I won't have to pay for daycare anymore. Sorry, I mean the countdown is actually more fitting for that than my vacation because when he starts kindergarten, we no longer have daycare, which again it's kind of sad that he's start in kindergarten because my goodness. But also, man, I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Is it good?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: This is this is day? Good for you?
Speaker 2: Yep, good stuff. Happy humped everybody. Stick with us. We'll have some fun this morning. A lot to get into, so don't go anywhere. We'll get your first update on the traffic out there from Bobby Ellis. Also, we'll get an updated look at the forecast for Matt Melosovich as we roll along. Scott'll be back with sports in about fifteen minutes or so, so stick around right here on New's Radio eight forty w h ass. Craig Greenberg made a big announcement yesterday as the city of Louisville has dropped its sanctuary city status. So Louisville is officially changing its policy and will no longer be considered a sanctuary city, a decision prompted really by threats from the Department of Justice. Uh, and of course just the growing federal pressure to fall in line and help Donald Trump do what he wants to do, which is to get out all illegal immigrants from.
Speaker 1: The United States.
Speaker 2: Again, one thing that I really feel of all the well, hey, you're you're you know, you're leaving out an important detail. Hey, uh, there's there's some half truth there. I think one that that just from from my years only, I just don't think it's mentioned enough. And when it comes to the amount of illegal immigrants that are deported, there are previous presidents from the Democratic side that actually had a bigger push as far as just the numbers. So clearly those that are so bothered by this, maybe more so it's because they're just bothered by Donald Trump. But also I think more than anything, is that it's just how it's done. There wasn't a whole lot of noise about the amount of immigrants that Barack Obama deported, but with Trump, I think he wants the noise out there that he's doing it, that he's coming to get you out of here if you're not legally here. And also just some of the can some of the the uh, what's the best way to describe it. I guess how they're going about obtaining these folks and getting them back to where they originally came from or just you know, out of the United States or in prison here in the United States or something like that. So anyhow, this so for those who don't know that, the sanctuary city refers to jurisdictions that limit cooperation with the federal immigrant immigration authorities. So this is this is something for that Louisville adopted. It's a policy. In twenty seventeen, more Metro police declined to enforce the federal immigration detainers. So this is a practice that had remained in place, you know, since then. So in May, DHS released a list of five hundred plus sanctuary jurisdictions, in Louisville of course, was included, and since then the dj has threatened to sue these non compliant cities and potentially withhold federal funding. So even ag Pambondi cited Louisville as an example when mentioning cities that they will take action against, They're not going to hesitate taking legal action, and it could be millions of dollars lost if, in fact Louisville didn't make this change. And Mayor Greenberg has decided to make this change.
Speaker 5: I've been assured by the United States Department of Justice that if we reinstate, the forty eight hour detainers for inmates who've been arrested for crimes, Louisville will be taken off the federal sanctuary city list. We have tens of thousands of immigrant families in Louisville. We do not want to see highly coordinated and often violent federal enforcement action here, especially in workplaces, residential areas, schools, places of worship, parks, and other areas where law abiding people gather.
Speaker 2: So detainers are I mean, that's a standard practice in Kentucky, and Louisville has been the only city in the state that did not comply. And Greenberg did emphasize that this effects fewer than one hundred inmates per year out of the tens of thousands of immigrant families that we have here in Louisville. So I mean, I'm only speaking for myself here, just my observation and not at all saying that this is for certain the way Mayor Greenberg feels. But if so, it wouldn't shock me that I think this is really I mean, it looks like compliance, which it is compliance, but to me it sounds more so like damage control. I mean, you've got cooperation here with ice detainers, but it's also you know, making it. I think this is not about rounding up immigrants when it comes to Mayor Greenberg. I think it's more about avoiding the chaos that could come if you don't make this change. It's a calculated decision, I think, and I think it makes total sense. And of course protecting federal funding that's huge. So again, one key detail here that I think is really important to the context of this is that this affects fewer than one hundred inmates a year that end up in the metro polite, you know, metro corrections. So all right, we've got another sports Actually we haven't even had a sports update just yet. We're gonna get our first one of the morning coming up here in just a moment. But first let's get an updated look at the roadways out there. Bobby Ellis will check on the traffic for us, and we'll get a look at today's forecast from wlkis Matt Melosovich.
Speaker 1: It is Kentucky.
Speaker 2: In is Morning News with coffee and company right here our news radioaight forty whas it's.
Speaker 1: Five thirty six here in Kentucky.
Speaker 2: In is morning News, Coffee and company right here on news RADIOA forty whas Nick Coffee. That is me and the prin of darkness has passed away. Ozzy Osbourne died at the age of seventy six yesterday. A true rock icon, of course, the legendary frontman of Black Sabbath and then had a hell of a solo career. And also some may not think of this when they think of Ozzy Osbourne at first, but reality TV star John Shannon's with me here, John, when you you know, not to make you sound like an old man, but you're older than I am. When you think of Ozzy Osbourne, what comes to mind initially?
Speaker 6: Well, of course, his his success with Black Sabbath, and then his I followed him a little bit more in his so in his solo career, and then you know, with his you know, the stuff that he wrote and did with Randy with his late guitarist Randy Rhodes. Being a Texan, I'm also very aware of the fact that he he took a whiz on the Alamo back back in eighty two and was banned from the state for ten years until he apologized to the mayor of San Antonio for it.
Speaker 2: Those are things that you know, you would remember if you're from Texas, because you don't off to see somebody do that was Did he just think it would Was that him being the rock and roll hooligan or was it did he have some kind of beef with San Antonio, because that seems personal.
Speaker 6: That was just I believe they were in town for he was in town for a concert. He just that's that was Ozzy being Ozzy at the time and being, like you said, a rock and roll hooligan and thought it'd be be funny to do that, not understanding the history of what that place was and what it means to people in Texas.
Speaker 2: And clearly I'm sure they took it personal and that apology was was was necessary, no doubt. Now, when I think of Ozzy Osbourne, I mean again, I'm showing my age here. I think of him in the early two thousands. I mean, he was a known put it this way, he was a known celebrity, and I knew he was certainly a legend in the rock and roll world, but I just knew him as the guy. And I did not even really know much about Black Sabbath. I'd heard of him, but again I just wasn't exposed to that because I wasn't alive at the time. That was a big deal. Now, when he left Black Sabbath, he was booted right like. It wasn't a situation where he just decided to go on his own. He was kicked out. And it's probably just because he had a lot of advices that could probably get in the way of a successful band.
Speaker 6: They were like any rock and roll band at that time. They all had their vices, they all had their issues, and it all kind of would come to a head in the studio trying to cut records and issues on tour two with abuses of substances and alcohol and and yeah. So that led to him going going onto his solo, very successful solo career, which you know, it's funny. He was three years younger than I am when he went into the rock and roll hall of fame the first time.
Speaker 2: Wow, that does speak to just how throughout his entire cur mean, again, there's a lot of shenanigans that stand out more so than maybe the music itself, but certainly was was phenomenal at that which is what gave him the platform to showcase that he was.
Speaker 1: He was quite the character.
Speaker 2: But his health, it really it really started to suffer. I think two in twenty twenty he had Parkinson's, which of course that was that was that was that. But at that point I think he'd already been battling a lot of health issues. Now when I think of him, when I think of him, I mean it goes back to a show that I don't often think of. I forgot about, but MTV's The Osbourne's. That was the first ever show like that where it's a family like it's a family reality TV show. So again, it's not an exaggeration to say Ozzy Osbourne paved the way for their Kardashians to have what they have now. Again, their level of fame before that show is just simply because of the name and the connection and I guess the Hollywood status, but they were just famous for kind of being famous, and then they. I mean, I don't know if we'll ever see anything quite like what the Kardashians have turned into as far as just all the different variations of the reality shows. But I mean, think about, you know, think about others that were big, and this may seem like I forgot some of these shows existed, But Jessica Simpson and Nicholas Shay had a super successful television show Runs House with run DMC on it. Like those shows never existed, And the first one that made it look like, Okay, this may work was the Osbourne.
Speaker 6: And the other and the other big rock and roll win that followed Ozzy's was Gene Simmons fan.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of people like me that didn't necessarily grow up when those musicians and or these bands we were at their peak. Therefore, like that, that's that's how I know a little bit about him, which you know, I'm glad, you know, I didn't experience Ozzy Osbourne in his prime, but I got to see the character that he is, and I got to hear him say this a bunch of times.
Speaker 1: We just yelled.
Speaker 2: I feel like every ten seconds in that show he would just yell share it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he would and you know that kind of helped the success off of that kind of revived him and helped him do oz Fest and kind of have a second act in his solo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And for you know, folks that were younger at the time, like me, I'm thinking, Okay, this guy's kind of wild.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, he's a character for sure. Thanks Jean.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to an update on the traffic. We'll see what we've got going on the roadways here with Bobby Ellis.
Speaker 1: He'll get a square it away.
Speaker 2: Also another look at Matt Melosa, but just forecast from WLK Y and Roory O'Neil set to join us at five forty five right here on Radio eight forty whas Happy hump Day, Kentucky, Anda it is a Wednesday, Nation of Kentucky and his morning news with Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me and he is Rory Oneil of NBC News. Rory, Let's talk about the rich. There've always been a gap between the rich and the poor, but at the same time, a new study says the gap is growing. Other reachers, other research is telling us that financial insecurity is causing significant mental health issues.
Speaker 1: Tell us about this gap between the rich and the poor.
Speaker 2: And again, maybe I'm not tasking you with this because that would be unfair for me to do.
Speaker 1: But the economy is not great right now. It seems well, you know, it's pretty good.
Speaker 4: It's unemployment is low, wages are rising. You know, there have been worse and yes, I realize wages maybe playing ketchup after that big spike of inflation, but you know, it could be worse. I know, though, it's so uneven out there. But they've discovered this thing called money dysmorphia, essentially that you know, when you look at this disconnect out there, you're looking through your phone. How come everyone's in Rome this summer and I'm at home? Or how come everyone's traveling and I'm stuck here and I can't afford to put into a t bone steak because beat prices are so high, and a lot of that envy is out there, and it's being made worse by social media. They're actually measuring widespread financial insecurity. Sixty nine percent of Americans feel insecure about their finances right now, and that's not a good place. And actually a lot of Americans about two thirds of us actually have a lot of concern and anxiety over the government's debt level as well.
Speaker 2: Not surprising at all. And when it comes to just folks being insecure about their financial situation, I wonder if some of that is true worry and fear, or if it's more so just maybe maybe they used to feel like they were in a little bit of a different position when it comes to the class system. But do we know, and I'm putting you on the spot here when cause it seems people are still spending money on things that they really enjoy doing, they're making sacrifices, or they're just living a little bit more so paycheck to paycheck. Is there any specific industry that is being hurt by folks making adjustments to sort of continue to live the lifestyle they want with with again things still being very expensive.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that's that's a lot that I told you. I told you I was putting you on spot, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Look, we've seen a fall off in domestic travel. We're still seeing a lot of that bucket list travel, big trips to Europe and Asia. That demand is still very high. Airlines, though, are now peeling back some of the seat inventory. They're flying domestically, so fewer people go into Vegas, Miami, Orlando, New York City, that kind of thing. So that's interesting where they're see some pullback, and that spills over into hotels and restaurants as well. You know, we're seeing people slow down in the car markets, you know, because the prices of cars have gotten so high, averaging around forty three thousand dollars for a new car. People are trying to you know, keep their old clunker going another year or two if they can.
Speaker 1: Things like that.
Speaker 4: Small ways, I think people are trimming things back because you know, we're seeing so much higher insurance premiums and electric bills and all that other stuff eating away at the paycheck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense when it comes to automobiles because I think sometimes when people do get a new car, it's not always a real necessity. It's okay, I probably can wait a few more years, but you know what, why not, I really like this one. I can afford it, So maybe, yeah, that makes total sense. I can see people holding onto those cars a little bit longer than they used to.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about GASA.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the situation guys that continues to deteriorate. We've got millions in the region running short on food and supplies. What can you tell us as far as the latest with this this really miserable situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had some more strikes overnight, Israeli strikes in Gods that killed at least twenty one people. Reports on the ground say half the victims are women and children. We're seeing more and more people who are being killed while trying to get food at these distribution sites, and a lot more pressure on Israel to try to allow more of that food distribution to happen. Groups like the UN and World Food Kitchen are saying, you know, people are near famine in Gaza, which once was home to more than two million people, So there's a lot more pressure on Israel to allow more of those resources to get in there. Doesn't seem though, like we're going to see any significant change in the policies right now. The fear is that a lot of the food that's meant to help the victims, the true Palestinian victims there instead gets siphoned off by Hamas and it turns into support for that terror group.
Speaker 1: Miserable stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's brutal no doubt. Rory is always you are great. We appreciate your time and we will talk to you some.
Speaker 1: Thanks Nick. All right, that's Rory and Neil in BC News. Let's do this. We'll get an updated look at.
Speaker 2: The roadways out there with with Bobby Ellis. I was gonna say, Rory O'Neil, I ask, I ask a lot of Rory, put him on the spot with questions he's probably not expecting, throw things at him. The last thing I need to do is throw more on his plate by having him be the guy that tells us how the roadways are looking in louisvill Kentucky when he's not here.