Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW Mike Allen in four the Great American Willie Cunningham today and leave next Wednesday as well open bills. Wherever he is, he's relaxing.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe with this weather getting a little better, maybe he gets to get out on the golf course. But I appreciate him giving me the opportunity to do his show. I'll tell you what, it's been a hell of a Christmas. I mean, it really has for me. I don't know if you're listening. Yesterday I took a trip to Mexico and came back with a little bit of a case of Montezuma's revenge. I'm getting over it, but Christmas was kind of a blur. But boy, it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: I do not regret going in any way, shape or form. A lot of things that want to cover today. I wanted to talk to you first about maybe you've heard about it. Rand Paul sent it to Rand Paul from Kentucky. Every year he does his what he refers to as the Festivus Report, and it kind of looks at government spending and specifically wasteful government spending with a little bit of a humor.
Speaker 2: To it.
Speaker 1: Although, boy, when you hear this some of them, I don't think you're gonna find it too funny because it's not. Despite its origins, the Festivus Report, it became synonymous with wasteful government spending, especially the millions and millions of bucks that are just spent on stupid stuff.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 1: He discovered over a trillion dollars in government waste in this year's report. Now think about that, a trillion dollars. That's a little bit of money and waiting you hear some of these stupid things. This is the best one, though, I'm just going to cut to the chase here on the first one, well, you know, no, I want to preface it first, though. The senator highlighted shocking facts regarding government spending, which included predictions from the Congressional Budget Office that the country will add over six point four billion dollars of debt every single day for the next ten years, borrowing over two hundred and sixty eight million every hour, four point five million every second, and over seventy excuse me, every minute, and over seventy four thousand every second. And you know what, folks, we can't sustain that I mean, we just can't. And I gotta be honest with you, some of this is Republican spending as well. Somebody's got to get a hold of this stuff because it might not be us, but it's gonna be. If it's not us, it's going to be our kids or our grandkids that are gonna be looking at a second depression or recession in this country. It's just at some point somebody's gonna have to pay the bill.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Looking at what ran Paul found, this one is unbelievable. How about spending federal doe your dough taxpayers dollars for an ice skating drag queens for a climate change event? Ice skating drag Queens for climate Change. He revealed that the government provided funds for a drag queen ice skating performance warning about the dangers of climate change. The National Endowment for the Yards gave the It's Called It's called the Bearded Ladies Cabaret in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, ten thousand bucks for its beard on ice performance on climate change alarmism. The artistic director for the self described Queer Cabinet Arts organization provided the following statement regarding the performance and the statement I think is even worse. Okay, here's what the dude who is responsible for this thing said. It is so impossible the issue of climate change and climate anxiety right now, almost as impossible as drag queens learning how to ice skate. So if we can get these drag queens to ice skate, maybe, just maybe we can solve the climate crisis. Now, assuming there even is a climate crisis, how do drag queens on ice skates help to save it? I mean that really is incredible. This is our money that they're spending. And you know what, I've asked this question a number of times, and I want to hear from all of you today too. Seven four nine seven. The big one are the numbers. What is the left obsession with drag queens? I don't get it. They gotta make drag queens a part of every not every, but darn near every kind of event. They have, So ten thousand bucks down the toilet for ice skating, drag queens for climate change, all right? Coming in at number two millions of dollars on border security. Now you might be axing yourself. What's wrong with that? We got a problem down on the border. Well, the problem with it is. It's millions of dollars for border security for not the United States of America, but Paraguay. Let me just read this little clip. The Festivals report also found that the State Department spent two point one million dollars on border security for Paraguay. This is particularly troubling because it meant the US government gave millions of dollars to another country for border security while ignoring the many failures and problems along the US border. So it's just it boggles the mind. Really, we got a border problem. Everybody knows that it's at the acute point now, and thank goodness, in about thirty days we're going to get some relief. And I'm sitting here watching Fox News. I don't have to sound up obviously, and he Trump is still saying he's going to start the deportations on day one. I don't know how he does that, but border security for Paraguay. You know, I saw something else to this week that I guess Joe Biden, the Biden administration, presumably on his orders, although who knows what he knows. They are selling the remnants and apparently there's pretty much of it of the border wall that President Trump wanted to put up in his first term. They're just selling it and he knows damn well that Trump is going to finish the wall or get as close to it as he can. So we're selling it for pennies on the dollar, and you know President Trump's going to come in and I guess we'll have to spend more money on it. But that's just what the government does. You'll love this one too. It's titled Rats, Cocaine and Loneliness.
Speaker 2: We can't have lonely rats.
Speaker 1: The Festivus report identified a government study in which researchers injected rats with cocaine to analyze the impact of the drug's addiction. The Department of Health and Human Services spent four hundred and nineteen thousand dollars four hundred nineteen thousand bucks of your money to determine if lonely rats quote sought cocaine at a greater frequency than happy rats who wouldn't want to know that. These funds were used by researchers to observe and see if rats placed in positive environments would be more likely to abstain from cocaine than rats in negative and isolating environments. Hundreds of thousand dollars later. The results were predictable as what one might suspect. So, you know, we got to take care of our rat population. We don't want them lonely. This one doesn't surprise me at all. You know, you talk about the last I don't know, five six, seven years or so, probably the area where the most money was just blown and wasted is with respect to the pandemic relief. And there were a lot of people legitimately who needed pandemic relief. But the stories are coming in now, and they have been really for a couple of years now, of the huge amount of waste that came from just doling out this money. Listen to this using pandemic relief funds to buy an island. The report identified the misdeeds of a Florida businessman who reportedly used COVID nineteen relief funds to purchase Sweetheart Island. And Sweetheart Island is off the coast of Florida. Well, the government thankfully investigated that purchase and found out that the swindler used funds obtained from pandemic assistance to quote help finance the island purchase close quote, according to reports.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean think about it.
Speaker 1: The guy apparently they're talking plural, not single, so there is a number of payments to him. I guess wouldn't you think they would have done some perfunctory investigation into this guy on the front end of it. So anyway, this guy received seven point eight mili in an emergency pandemic aid by submitting over thirty deceitful applications. Here's a good news, folks. He was eventually busted, convicted for his crimes, and sentenced to over five and a half years in federal prison, and he agreed to return the seven point eight million dollars in eight he returned. Now, let me tell you, is a guy that practices federal criminal law that that's just a standard thing that a court does, is order restitution, getting restitution out of people. That's a whole different ball game, just a couple more of them here. You know, I played pick a ball couple of times.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: But listen to this, your tax dollars, millions of dollars spent on a picketball court in Las Vegas. With all the money flying around in Las Vegas, the Festivus Report revealed that the Department of the Interior spend twelve million bucks to build a thirty court pickaball complex in Las Vegas. The city hoped to use these courts to host high profile tournaments and eventually put Las Vegas out on the global Pickaball map. So, like I said, I like pickleball, but we don't need to be spending twelve million bucks in a place that is teaming with money for pickleball. One of the other ones, billions of dollars spent on nearly empty office buildings doesn't surprise me a bit, you know, with the work from home thing in downtown Cincinnati here and I lived down here during the pandemic, and man, people fled downtown like crazy.
Speaker 2: In the office buildings too.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know about the government buildings, but a lot of these people aren't coming back. So the government spends all this money on empty office buildings. So go figure, Go figure. I did want to talk about something else. We got a little bit of time to do this. I talked about this a little bit yesterday but really kind of flew through it, and I kind of wanted to talk about it a little bit more. And this was a survey in Axios about what happens to families during the holiday season when they are divided and in some cases, I mean really divided over politics and probably more specifically the presidential election. And you know what, and I shared this yesterday. I'll share it with you all. It's something I'm dealing with in my family and it's a real thing. And I looked into it, and there are a lot of families dealing with it. And this Axios report says why it matters. And there's a guy, what's his name, Robert Jones. He's a president and founder of the Public Religion Research Institute. They conducted the survey, and he says it may be tense around the Hanukkah and Christmas table. Well, I think that's probably an understatement by the numbers. And I don't think this will surprise you at all. It doesn't surprise me one bit. Democrats are much more likely to view Republicans to view the Republican Party as a serious threat to the country than they were in twenty and sixteen before Trump was elected fifty percent in twenty sixteen, that's eighty one percent.
Speaker 2: Now. Republicans are right beyond them.
Speaker 1: Also more likely to view the Democrat Party as a serious threat sixty percent back in twenty sixteen, sixty nine percent in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: The disparity here. Well, here, here's the other one. This is probably the important one. Let me give you this one. Okay.
Speaker 2: The question was.
Speaker 1: People who say they will reduce time with the family over the holidays due to political differences. And this is a survey of fifty seven hundred adults, so it's a it's a good sample size people who said they're going to reduce time with family due to political differences. Let me just read this to you all. Voters twelve independence eleven percent and only five percent of Republicans say that Democrats slash lives. Twenty three percent, almost a fourth of them say that they're not going to spend time with some family members or friends because of their political beliefs. And probably nine out of ten of them, it's about voting for Trump or not voting for Trump. I think voting for Trump is more likely. And you know what that tells me. And I've said this, everybody's sick of me saying it, but it just shows the arrogance of liberalism. And like I said, I'm dealing with it. It's like my opinion is so important that you know, screw you, dad, mom, brother, whatever. I don't want to spend any time with you for who you voted for. Guess what, that ain't right? It really isn't. But it's ah no, I'm gonna unfortunately that a lot of families are dealing with anyway. I got to take a break for the news. But if you went away in seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the big one are the numbers. Mike Allen in for Willy seven hundred WLW. Hey, we're back, Mike Allen in for the Great American Willie Cunningham. Got a great show for you today at one o'clock. Just coming up in studio, we are going to have doctor Jed Hardings. He is the president of Cincinnati Classical Academy. I'll tell you what, folks, I talked to him. We had him on the Saturday Show. I believe it was in the summer. You wouldn't believe what they are doing. It's a charter school based on the Bassical approach to education. And you know, there's not a lot of success stories in primary education these days. This is one of them. You will definitely want to hear doctor Hardings. And two o'clock we're going to talk to our friend Peter Bronson. He's got a new book, Promised Land, How the Midwest Was Won. Peter is always a great guest, and we'll be talking to him at two o'clock. But before we broke, we were talking about and I want to talk about it just a little bit more about the situation where you know they not's just the holidays, but that's where it seems to come to a head. Where you have somebody in your family, family member, even close friends, anything like that that don't want to have anything to do with you because of your political beliefs or who you voted for. It's insane in my opinion, but if you look at it, it's happening around the country. I just want to give you this poll results. Again. We'll talk about something else, but this was almost fifty eight hundred adults. The poll is Conect conducted November eighth, December the second, and the question is will you reduce time with family due to your political differences? Democrats twenty three percent, Republicans five percent. The only thing that surprises me about that that it's not more because again it speaks to the arrogance of the left. They're right about anything and everything, and by god, they're not going to listen to you. And if you don't agree with them, the hell with you. But I looked into it a little bit further, and I'll tell you what this is. Kind of like you can't judge book by its cover. I found an article it's called dealing with Politically Different Families this Holiday, and it was in in a magazine, an online magazine called Black Life Forever. Kind of looked into them a little bit, very very liberal group. However, having said that, man, they are right on the money on this, I mean right on the money and it shows no bias either way whatsoever. And that's what you want in something like this. And they have four tips, four tips to deal with this kind of stuff. I just wanted to tell you what they were, just briefly. Number one, and again, this is something that I hope the other side's listening to. Number one suggestion, be empathetic. Now if you are politically astute, or you don't even really have to be, if you've been watching things a lot of empathy in your modern liberal there's just not well anyway, The article says that when having conversations with family members who believe differently than you do, remember to offer your own explanations and beliefs with kindness. And they've got this in brackets, not moral superiority. Are you listening liberals? Not moral superiority? And goes on to say, and listen to their reasoning, which could reveal the motivations behind their political choices. And again, that's hard or almost impossible to do with people on the left because they know everything. Okay. Second tip is share your perspective. Be straightforward about the facts, the figures, and the history that help you come to your own conclusion. Share films and books that will show your family members that they may not know of yet.
Speaker 2: So you know what.
Speaker 1: Again, you can try, and in my personal situation I have, it doesn't always work, but it's I think it's still a good suggestion, all right. Number three, protect yourself? And you probably say, what do you mean protect yourself? This suggestion goes on to point out that no one should feel any guilt or shame for not spending this time with relatives. I don't know that I agree with that, even if it's only that your discussions about politics in particular, cannot remain civil, set boundaries and feel free to let your family know you are not comfortable with the conversation. Well there again, I think in a lot of situations you just say, hey, look we don't agree on this, We're never going to agree on this. Let's just chuck it and forget about it and talk about something else. Great suggestion, Not sure it works with and it's not all people on the left, but I would dare to say the majority.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Last one, and this is the best one.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: The number four suggestion is the personal is political, but family is forever. Let me read that again, the personal is political, but family is forever. And it goes on to say, I'm this is the author. I'm of the opinion that every bit of life is political, shaped bar by our social and cultural beliefs about what is good and acceptable. However, using family members who believe differently but are otherwise kind and consistently present in your life is not worth any sort of moral crusade or feeling of superiority.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Truer words were never spoken, And I guess I got to take back one thing I said, putting it on pretty hard on the left. Again, I'm assuming and I'm pretty sure I'm right. The author of this article is probably to the left as much as I am to the right, but man, he is on the money with this. So anyway, I wanted to share this with you. I've talked to a number of people that are dealing with it, and you know, hopefully that may be just a little bit helpful. Hey, let's do this. Let's take a short break and we'll come back. And got a couple of callers here. I want to hear what they have to say if you want to be a part of it. Seven four nine, seven, eight hundred one are the numbers. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW. Hey, we're back. Mike Allen in for Bill Cunningham today and next Wednesday as well. Yeah, before we broke, we were talking about dealing with political differences with family members. We're close friends during the holiday season, and it's something that's happening a lot. And if you're interested in it, you know, just google it and it'll come up, you know, And it's not really surprised when you think about it. We are so divided in this country, we really are, so no one should be surprised by it. But again I have to point out that the poll that I read now four times more they said democrats and I'll just call them liberals. Four times more liberals than Republicans say that they ain't going to spend time with a family member because of their political beliefs, and that should surprise no one. And again, like I said, the only surprise in that that it is not more because liberals, and you know, I'm generalizing here, but I'm comfortable generalizing. They think they know everything, they think their views are superior, they think that we are Neanderthals. So anyway, I want to talk to Wayne in Franklin about it. Hey, Wayne, how you.
Speaker 2: Doing doing great?
Speaker 1: Mike, great show, as always, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm in one of these situations. Half my family's Democrat has Republican.
Speaker 1: I'm a Trumpster.
Speaker 3: They all know it. Christmas Eve, we're all at my aunt's house, and of course one of my cousins comes over and he goes, well, you're ready for this to be the world to come to an end? Yeah, and I'm like, this is going to be the greatest thing ever. He goes, you think Trump can make this world great? I'm like, who said anything about Trump, So Daddy Reds win the World Series this year and the look on his face, you know what what?
Speaker 1: And that's the way, that's the way they look at things. You know, it's just kind of confined to their narrow beliefs. And your point is a good one, Wayne, Like you said, the Reds could win the World Series, or god forbid, the Bengals could win the Super Bowl. But you know, they're just narrowly focused on their own beliefs.
Speaker 3: I know it's ridiculous, it really really is.
Speaker 2: And you have to watch.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've got you know, the mega hat the Mega T shirts, right, I don't you know, I cut my grass in them. I don't get out in public with them because you never know who's just going to come home up and start ranting and raving.
Speaker 1: Well, and I understand that. I'm certain that you're not the only one with that. And you know what the thing is, I think Trump is a different person and he's going to be a different president than he was first time. Not that he was not good the first time. He was. He did everything he said he was gonna do, kind of got screwed by COVID. But my point is, why don't they at least. Wait, I mean, give it a year. Hell, give it sixty ninety days. But no matter what I mean, Donald J. Trump, if there was a burning building and there were one hundred babies in that building and Donald Trump ran in and rescued ninety nine of them, they'd condemn him for not rescuing the last one. It's just the way it is with these people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was just listening this morning. They're condemning Hamme and the Swami.
Speaker 1: And Eli Musk.
Speaker 3: It's some kind of visa you can get if you're highly educated.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see four foreigners right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well therefore, but you have to have like a bachelor's a group degree and a doctorate's degree. That way you can actually come to this company or come to this country and work at a company.
Speaker 2: You have three years.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. I don't know if that's been done before, but I believe in prior years you do have to demonstrate how you can help the country.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been done a lot, but a lot of Democrats have amused it. Oh, firing the American workers making one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year and bringing in this guy from India and paying in sixty thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: There's so much in today's politics that just make no sense whatsoever.
Speaker 2: All Right, well, hey, thanks for taking my call. Mind new Year, Okay, you too appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you what. It's a conundrum. It really is. And like I said, I think Trump's going to be different this time. And I want to make it clear I had no problem with the way he was the first time. You know, he's one of the few presidents really, if you think about it, left right democratic Republican who did virtually everything he said he was going to do. The one thing that he wasn't able to do was of course, getting rid of Obamacare because of John McCain. He missed it by one vote. And it's really hard to ask anything more out of an elected official, and it's extremely rare when that happens. And I would venture to guess that but for COVID, he'd be leaving his second term of office and not being the Grover Cleveland of the modern age and serve a term, lose and come back and win a term. So I think, you know, it's too much. It's just too much to ask of progressives, liberals, you know, whatever the hell they want to call it. And by the way, on that, I've always kind of wondered why why they changed their kind of identification, if you will, from liberal to progressive. And I think that happened, I don't know, ten fifteen years ago. I think there's such a negative connotation to the word liberal from not all but most Americans that they wanted to get away from that. And I'll tell you after the debacle, the absolute debacle we have had for the last four years, and we're going to talk about that, hopefully a little later after that. I mean, I don't know why they're not running for the hills, because they ran this country into the ground, right straight into the ground. And thank god Donald Trump, a Republican Senate, and hopefully the Republican House of Representatives can stick together to make some real changes in this country because we have to do it. We have to do it. You know. I said before, I'll say it again that last election was the most important election, the most impactful election of my lifetime. And I'll tell you what, I ain't no spring chicken, and I meant that, I really do. And I think everything's lining up right for him. One thing that really urinates me off and here we go again with it, is what's happening in the House with certain members of the House that just apparently don't know how to count. You know, Ronald Reagan said one time, and he was the master of this. I forget exactly what it was, but the point he was making. Somebody was giving him grief about not heeding to one hundred percent some conservative position that he took, and he said something like, hey, look, if I can get three fourths of what I want, why wouldn't I take it? Point being with these Congress members, look, I mean there are going to be changes. They don't need to be making it any harder for Mike Johnson, the speaker. I think he has done an outstanding job, and it looks like he's going to keep his job. You know, we're now driving the damn car. I mean we are. It's us. We got everything House if they can keep it together, set it strong majority there President obviously, and although it's not political, but of course the liberals wanted to and still do want to make it political. We have a conservative Supreme Court, so the balls in our court, and that's not to say that they can't throw roadblocks up against us, but it's our turn to drive the bus, and we can't be having this kind of bickering. And I get it, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: These Congress people who are kind of contrarians, if you will, they're very, very concerned about the budget deficit. Guess what, so am I you just heard me read those statistics in ran Paul's report. At some point, we're going to have to pay the price. However, goodness gracious, let us get in control for a while and hope that it gets better. And again, I think everybody would agree that's just not a Democrat problem. The deficit. We did the same thing. And you know what a lot of people don't know this. The last time we had a balanced budget. Guess it was President Bill Clinton. I forget what year it was, but you know, I wasn't really paying attention. I was shocked when I heard that. So, no matter how bad it is, I still think we can get back to some fiscal sanity if we stop fighting among ourselves and get in the same boat and row in the same direction like they always do, Like the Democrats do, they stick together. I mean, you don't see them having these petty squabbles about things, so hopefully we can take a lesson from them and go from there. Hey, listen, we got to take a break for the news. However, when we're coming back, you're going to want to stick around because there's some good news in primary education. Boy, I tell you, there's a hell of a lot of bad news. Test scores, horrible communists, China beating us in every category. We're going to talk to mister doctor Jed Hardings. He's the president of Cincinnati Classical Academy, and you're not going to believe what they are doing without any government assistance. And we'll talk to doctor Harding's after the news. Mike Allen in for Willy Cunningham seven hundred WLW. Hey, we're back Mike Allen in for Willie Cunningham today and next Wednesday as well. You know, as I said before we broke here, there's not a lot of good news on the primary education front, and I don't think there can be any disagreement on that. Test scores there are record lows, and sometimes it seems like no one seems to care. However, thankfully, there are alternatives and we're going to talk about a really good alternative, and that is the Cincinnati Classical Academy. It is a success story beyond belief, I think. And here to talk about the CCA is its president of the board of directors, doctor Jed Hardings. We talked to him, I think last summer, doctor Hardings, thanks so much for coming back. Great to be here, Mike, Thanks. Hey, just kind of tell my listeners what cch is or CCA, When did it start, how is it different? And it is classified as a charter school? Correct, Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 4: We kind of go by the nickname Classical Cincinnati Classical. It's a tuition free school that opened in twenty twenty two. It is a public school, so there is no tuition, but as a charter school, what that means is that we're governing and independently and can pursue our own unique philosophy and curriculum. And so we offer a curriculum based on the classical education philosophy.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us what that is? Sure? Yeah, it's pretty simple.
Speaker 4: You can think of it just as a rigorous traditional education. We teach phonics, which a lot of the public schools have not been doing a good muntil the law got changed last year. Now everyone has to take this approach, I know that which classical schools have been taking, you know, since since they got you know, reinvigorated fifteen twenty years ago. US we teach phonics, We teach a cursive handwriting, We diagram sentences, we learn Latin, We teach history instead of social studies. We study the fine arts, and importantly we also teach moral character and civic virtue, and there's a number of other distinguishing characteristics. We use minimal technology. So you hear a lot of talk about unto one schools. That means one laptop per one student. We have zero laptops per school. Really the teachers use them, of course, but yeah, there's no technology really with the students' cell phones aren't allowed in the school, which is again a trend that now we're now seeing other schools starting.
Speaker 1: To catch on to.
Speaker 4: We have teachers lead the classroom as moral examples of love of their subject matters, and we wear uniforms.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a bit of a throwback, which I consider a very very good thing. What you were just describing to me, and we were talking off mic on this sounds like Saint Antonias the grade school I went to, and you mentioned you went to Saint Dominie. That's how it used to be exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is how the founding fathers were educated or educated themselves in Lincoln's example. But another example of that class school approach of the way things always used to be is we always used to teach civics, and we used to teach a curriculum that emphasized the American and the Western traditions. That's what we're doing, and remarkably it's controversial with some people that call us ethnocentrists. So as an example, all all high school students they have to take a year of both English and British literature. They will all take a year of European history, it's not optional, before they study American history, and then they'll also learn ancient history of the Greeks and Romans. And then on top of all this, when they're you know, become very well prepared for the more advanced courses in rhetoric, logic, economics, moral and political philosophy. And these are all core curriculum courses. This is not a sort of choose your own adventure school. You decide, let the parents decide how you should be educated here. No, there's there's a body of work that one needs to master in order to become educated.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's the same Saint Dominic, but when I was at st Antoninus, and again that's what this sounds like, and that's a good thing. Father Gockler, the pastor, he handed out the the report cards.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I guess he wanted some accountability. Do you guys do anything like that?
Speaker 4: No, we don't. We don't have pre set the school. That's that's another aspect of getting a public charter.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I heard you say that before. We do have a colisseum.
Speaker 4: The coliseum is where the students who have misbehaved or have to meet with the headmaster. They sit and they stare at the colosseum wall as if they're going to get thrown in with the gladiators.
Speaker 2: I love that little tradition.
Speaker 1: We had the Dominican nuns at st Antoninus and they were not shy about doing a little corporal punishment, and at least Mighty aff I deserved it. I love what you're saying. You referred to it. I believe as a public school. Tell Us what you mean by that, and tell us about your sources of funding, where you get your students, things like that.
Speaker 4: Right, So it's a public school in the sense that it's open to enrollment by any Ohio resident. There are no admissions tests, no aptitude tests. It's first come, first serve. It also means that we're fund We get our funding from the state of Ohio from state tax dollars vouchers. They're not exactly vouchers. They come straight from the state rather than going to the parents, but it's very similar and it's a similar amount.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think last summer when we talked, you were getting a little bit of blowback. I don't remember the specific issue, and it's in the past, but has all that been worked out?
Speaker 2: Whatever the heck it was.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well they What we did was we applied for a two million dollar federal grant from the US Department of Education, and actually we were one of fourteen schools in the country to get that, and in fact, we got the highest rating of any school in the country on that grant when one review reviewer gave us a perfect score, which is just unheard of. But yeah, the teachers unions came out against us. Greg Landsman came out against us, and this all kind of blew up. They threw all kinds of malicious accusations at us, and uh, there was a big write up in the Washington Post criticizing our school again, remember calling us that no centrist and all this kind of made up nonsense. But but anyway, the accusations were baseless, and you know, the grant was awarded, so nothing really happened. But it was fun to hear that come up in the debate with some between Songs and Landsman, songs that held him accountable for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, well, I'll tell you what. I love that guy.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, this is our congressman. Think about this, This is our congressman asking two million dollars to be sent back from his district to Washington.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I'm sure the teachers somebody in the teachers union called him up and said you better because that's who runs that party. I don't expect you to comment on that, but let me ask you this question. If you comparison on test scores with the public schools, and the purpose of the question is not to you know, put down the public schools, although I think they got a lot of problems, but is there a comparison?
Speaker 2: Are you able to do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can because as a public school, we're held to the same standards as every other public school, whether it's a traditional district school, Indian Hill, Wyoming, whoever. We all take the same state tests, so you can compare them side by side starting from third grade, you know, all the way up through through the grade standardized Ohio State standardized tests in math, English language, arts, and science, and you compare.
Speaker 1: Them across the board.
Speaker 4: Since our very first year, we've been at the top, right right alongside the top five public schools that have been around for decades and decades and decades in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: That's pretty incredible.
Speaker 4: And that's across the board all subject matters, Science, English, math, and we were even even among charter schools in Ohio in our first year. There's two hundred and fifty charter schools in Ohio, and right out of the bat, in our first year, we were ranked number one in early literacy out of all those two hundred and fifty schools that have been around for ten to fifteen since nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: That's pretty amazing. It really is. I want to ask you, there's some really exciting things going on with CCA with respect to expansion. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mike, this has been an absolutely grueling process to identify a campus and property facilities to grow to our full potential and ambition of having thirteen hundred students. Eventually, we looked for four years, examined over two dozen different properties and just ran into a lot of obstacles again, the same players, teachers' unions, local school districts came out against us and had a lot of influence on the local municipalities who wouldn't cooperate with us to rezone or to sell us properties.
Speaker 1: There were a few municipalities that.
Speaker 4: That appreciated the value that we could bring and they were trying to attract us, but again they got stopped and superintendents came out and spoke at public hearings to oppose us. It was kind of unbelievable and this went on for four years. And the other aspect of the difficulty is the financial obstacles because we get about thirty percent less funding than the local public schools, right, so how do you build a school for thirteen hundred students? Well, we just this past fall, we finally arrived at that solution and purchased two campuses, one in Reading and another one in Blue Ash next to sm Mid Park that are gonna serve the K through four grade levels and then the five through twelve grade levels, respectively.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna be K through twelve. It sounds like, yes, we are.
Speaker 4: We started with K through six when we opened two years ago, and we've been adding one grade level each year, so this year we're K through eight, and then next year, just in time, just after the doors open on our new property, we're gonna we're gonna have our first high school class.
Speaker 2: So this was.
Speaker 4: Really a big deal. We got it done in the nick of time. It was a very It was a big deal. It's a twenty nine million dollar project.
Speaker 1: Over we got that belt Can building. We got the bel Can building. It was big. It's huge, but it's actually the perfect size.
Speaker 4: It fits like a glove when you lay out the classrooms and everything against our needs.
Speaker 1: But yeah, one hundred thousand square feet.
Speaker 4: We've we've already completely demoed the interior and they're framing up the classrooms and hallways as we speak.
Speaker 2: Pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you where do you get the students from How does that work?
Speaker 4: That was a bit of a leap of faith, you know, because I loved the concept of this school. But you know, with the public, you know, how what was the response going to be? But it's been overwhelming, absolutely overwhelming since day one. We opened with capacity for four hundred and fifty students and it was full.
Speaker 1: It was full in the beginning year.
Speaker 4: We've been full ever since with a wait list of four hundred students of four hundred, yeah, so we we just we can't grow fast enough, honestly. But they're coming from everywhere. There's no singular answer. They're coming from homeschooling backgrounds, from public school backgrounds, from private school backgrounds, and they're coming geographically from a diameter of about sixty miles.
Speaker 1: I mean all the.
Speaker 4: Way from Oxford to Anderson to New Richmond Hill. We had some students from Hillsboro County. If you even know where that is, way out east.
Speaker 1: That is a long trip.
Speaker 2: You ain't gonna be walking that. That's really amazing.
Speaker 4: So it's like it's like sixty school zip codes in total, in thirty five school districts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about sports, Well, let me ask you first out of pocket for parents. It's zero, isn't it zero.
Speaker 4: I mean you have to buy the uniforms and there might be a one hundred and fifty dollars book fee or something, but that's it.
Speaker 1: I mean you'd think people will be beating down your doors, and it sounds like they're starting to. I mean, this is a diamond. I don't want to say diamond in the rough because it's not. It's just amazing what you all are doing. Let me ask you one other thing before, and I want to talk about the capital campaign. What about sports? Does it have a full sports program? Absolutely?
Speaker 4: We've already won city championships in volleyball. That was really exciting. We did that in our first year. Yeah, yep, we went right through the tournament and won it all. Second place last year in the track and field city meet. So yeah, we've got the full array of sports. I know there's at least twelve varsity sports planned for the high school all, you know, most of the traditional ones that that other schools have.
Speaker 1: What about other social activities? I mean, back in the day, schools used to sponsor at least Catholic schools used to sponsor dances. Yeah, mixers, like that that too.
Speaker 4: We do it, and we do it in our own classical way. The first sort of junior high dance was actually just a month ago. And you wouldn't believe what this school pulled off. And I take no credit for this. This is the school administration and head master. But they put on a Fezziwigs ball. Feziwig was the sort of jovial character from a Christmas carol. So they in physical education in gym class, all the students learned how to do the dances of the early eighteen hundreds, and you know these group dances and line dances and docy doe and you know with a caller, you know, calling out the dances and moves, and they had and so this is what the dance was. And all the students showed up in early eighteenth century you know, ruffled ruffled shirts and Victorian balls and Victorian gowns. I mean, it was just it was amazing to see how fully all the students and faculty and staff everyone bought into this and they had a blast face and they learned so much about it too. I mean, sure, what a wholesome way to learn how to socialize and interact with the opposite sex, get some exercise, enjoy music, and enjoy community. I mean this is anachronistic today, it is, you know.
Speaker 1: But an achronistic in a very very very good way. Tell us about the Capitol campaign and what people can do to help if they want to. Yeah, So, as I mentioned, the.
Speaker 4: Property acquisition and the construction projects is funded by taxis and bonds, which was around twenty nine million, but it doesn't quite get us to where we need to be to complete the construction. So we're aiming to raise at least another four million to complete that construction. And so we would ask anyone who thinks that what we're doing, who thinks that a rigorous traditional education in the classical liberal arts, one that teaches logic, rhetoric, economics, history, government, moral philosophy, and the one that's accessible to the public tuition free. If this is a good thing for Cincinnati, for our communities, please consider supporting the campaign because this is a cause I think that transcends consideration just of where your kids or your grandkids we're going to school. This is, in fact, you know, really a national movement. This is why you heard Russia Limbaugh talking about Hillsdale College all the time, and you are affiliated with hills We are affiliated. We use the curriculum that was developed by Hillsdale College and is in and is at use at over eighty schools throughout the country right now. But the restoration of an education that's needed for a free thinking and self governing citizenry, that's what we're trying to provide. It's not just about college career or technical skills. We want to preserve our country.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately we're out of time, Doctor Hardings, and we could talk for hours about this. It is an incredible story. I think it's a story that not enough people know about. And I appreciate you coming in and talking about sincy classical dot org. Yeah, and great, great website.
Speaker 2: Could you give it one more time?
Speaker 1: Sincey classical dot org. Since he with a y classical.
Speaker 2: Dot org sounds good.
Speaker 1: Come sign up for the newsletter. It sounds good. Hey, listen, we got to take a break, but we'll be back. Mike Allen in for Willy Cunningham seven hundred. Man, I'm getting some good bumper music today. Hey, we're back. Mike Allen in for Willie Cunningham. Really happy to be doing that too. I appreciate Willy giving me the chance, and I'll tell you what I mean. I've been doing this for a while, obviously my Saturday show and sub There are some interviews that after you do them, you just really feel good, not about anything that I did, but the subject matter and the guest. And that last one, doctor Jed Harding's of Cincinnati Classical Academy falls right into that. I mean, when you think about it, what they're doing is amazing. They are offering that type of an education for free. I think doctor Hardig said that the only thing that they have to pay for are the books and things like that. And something tells me that if a low income person did not even have that, they'd find a way to make it happen. And you know, I've got family and friends that sometimes accuse me of living in the past, and you know, maybe I do sometimes that when the past is good, why the hell not? I mean, when he was describing that, that sounded so much like, you know, my grade school sat Antoninus course, obviously a Catholic grade school, and well you see how I turned out. But there are some success stories tongue in cheek there, folks, But I don't know It just makes me feel good that there are things like that. It is definitely, definitely an unknown story and hopefully we were able to help him get it out a little bit, and we need things like that. I mean, think about it, think about it. Phonics. I haven't even heard that word, and I don't know how many years, and I'm sure they stopped teaching it in the public schools, you know, long, long time ago. Latin. Now, I took Latin in high school and I don't mean to brag, but my buddy Tom Grayson and I were scholars in Latin. I mean, offering that subject in grade school. Discipline, discipline, that is something that we need definitely in our primary education now. And I could go on and on and on about it. I'm going to have doctor Harding's back, and I kind of think when people finally really know about this, they're going to be beaten down his doors. And the acquisition of the property, the Belkan property, is going to enable them to go through K through twelve. So congratulations to doctor Harrings and everybody at the Cincinnati Classical Academy.
Speaker 2: It's a hell of a story, well kind of aeg.
Speaker 1: To the next thing I wanted to talk about, which is not exactly the most positive thing in the world. We're talking about primary education before what about higher education? What are we going to do about higher education in this country? You know, I like to refer to it kindly, I might add, as a cesspool of indoctrination. It is awful. They will fight tooth and nail to prevent whoever from telling both sides of a story. Those freaking libs. Professors, they think they own the place. And that's one thing, you know, I guess everything is incremental. I mean, you know, you heard about Cincinnati Classical Academy, a bit of a throwback and a damn good one. Everything is incremental. I mean, maybe you start with primary education and none of this stuff's going to happen overnight in high school and then college. Something is going to have to be done about that. And what I'm talking about really is just presenting both sides of an issue. Don't indoctrinate kids. I mean that starts in grade school now, you know, tell them the different things that are out there, and God forbid, let them decide. Which leads me to the college fix. I don't know if you've heard of it. Just an amazing organization of a heck of a lot of college students that look for things that are going wrong on the college campus, and buddy, there are a lot of them. One good thing that I've been reading DEI Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the biggest scam game I think in the history of education, is starting to go down the tubes. It's going down the tubes in a big way in corporate America. Little bit slower, a little bit slower on the college front, although I did read where Michigan, that team up North, that school up North, they have cut their DEI staff of two hundred and forty one people with a budget I think of about a half a million dollars. Now think about it, two hundred and forty one people, half a million bucks. How many students, how many low income students? Could you help with that? And I'll tell you what, I've been asking this question for years, for years, And I know there are people on the left that listen to my Saturday show. At least I have not yet had anyone tell me just what in the hell DEI is. I know what it stands for, but what is it? What does it do except divide people? Divide people? I mean, that's pretty much it. It's just such an incredible waste of time and money, and you know, you look about it, look at it. College enrollment is down, and gee, I wonder why. I mean, part of it is the cost, I guess, but I think a lot of it well. And good thing about it, a lot of people are going into the trades now, and that's a good thing because you can make a good living in the trades.
Speaker 2: And not everybody.
Speaker 1: Is set and really set up for college. I remember back when I was going, you know, I had a really i'll just say it, a really rigorous major criminal justice with the rest of the football students. I'm just kidding. And I went to UC and I'm proud of it. But it wasn't all that rigorous. But some people just aren't set up for it. But there is a lot of work to do to write that ship. And you can throw journalism in there, because they're kind of they go hand in hand really when you think about it, These Jay schools, as they refer to them, journalism schools. Somehow, some way, Republicans, conservatives, moderates, whatever you want to call them, they got to bust down that door and end the less franchise on higher education.
Speaker 2: In this country.
Speaker 1: And again along those lines, the College Fix I was talking about that young college students who are journalists are studying to be journalists. I believe that. Look at what's going on negatively on the college campus. And they put out right before Christmas year and this is a College Fix year in review. One hundred and twenty campus cancel culture incidents in twenty twenty four. Boy, some of these are amazing. We're just going to go through some of them quickly. San Diego State University investigated two white students for dressing up it's not funny, for dressing up as Diddy and a bottle of baby oil, for example. I think I get it. I think I get it, but you know what, not everything is a major incident. And I don't know enough about Diddy. I know he's in a jam. I wish I was defense attorney. Hell, I could retire on what they're probably making. But you know, I don't think many people see that as a problem. And God knows how many hours they wasted on that and how much money. I mean, it's just it's amazing what they do. They're nearly thirty incidents that they report the college fixed staff, and I'm sure that they miss some of them, just a few more of them. Indiana State University canceled a speech by National Review editor Rich Lowry, citing safety concerns. And that's what they do, you know, Ben Shapiro, it happened to him, It happens to Riley Gaines. And boy if she isn't the best thing to happen to the conservative cause, I don't know what is she gets shut out of these things. But anyway, Indiana State they canceled a speech by Rich Lowry, he's the editor of National Review, citing safety concerns. Bull You know what, it's because they want to shut him down. You know what, because at the end of the day, they're cowards. They're cowards.
Speaker 2: They don't want to.
Speaker 1: Present both sides of an argument. They got the monopoly, and by god, they're going to cram this stuff down the student's throats, so they don't want Yeah, you hear so much about diversity, diversity, this diversity that. How about some diversity of thought?
Speaker 2: God forbid that goes on?
Speaker 1: And this stuff just really is awful. Ben Franklin's statue at the University of Pennsylvania completely defaced with red paint by guess who pro Hamas activists. And you know, that's a new thing, relatively new thing on the college campus, anti Semitism. How in the heck did that happen in the United States of America. I don't even want to get going on that because that's all we'll talk about. And I don't know, maybe they haven't learned about the Holocaust anyways. Nearly thirty incidents on this year's list can be traced two the Israeli Pakistani conflict, the vast majority of which were centered on protests from pro Hamas anti Israel agitators, and a lot of them are outside agitators and weren't college students, who often successfully shut down meetings and other events they objected to because again, you don't want to give both sides of an issue. God forbid, that's dangerous. Cops at the University of Nevada Las Vegas also shut down an Israeli professor's lecture rather than remove an anti Israel remove plural anti Israel protesters and pro Palestinian protesters shut down in a different incident, Pomona College's convocation, and they shut it down at University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Rather than deal with it, deal with the problem, don't shut it down anyway. The College Fix reports that of the one hundred and twenty campus cancel culture incidents from January one through today and again this thing came out the day after Christmas, were successful. Sixty seven of them were successful. In the rest fifty three were attempted cancelations. So you know what it's they're winning on that front. But I think we can turn that around with fifty two weeks.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 1: With fifty two weeks in a year and one hundred and twenty incidents in twenty twenty four, that's an average of two point three to one incidents per week over the last twelve months. Now. It's been kind of quiet on the whole Hamas thing for now, but you better believe that they'll rev that thing up again. And man, like I said, you don't even want to get me going on that. I just it's hard for my brain to comprehend and how anyone anyone can protest on behalf of a moss It's a terrorist group. They're still holding what five of our hostages, But let's go protest and favor them and you know, you know, it's professor stirring them all up. John Hopkins University they scrubbed Woodrow Wilson's name from their program. Now there are some that believe in I just finished reading a book. It was Bill O'Reilly's book with the other person, I forget his name. I think he's the one that writes them about the presidents. And boy, it was good, it was really good. And they talked about President Wilson. There are some that feel that he was a racist. I don't know enough about it to be able to say one way or the other, you know, but his statue presumably survived for a while. Cambridge Press, the Cambridge Press, they are dropping the term Anglo Saxon from journals because they think that there's some kind of problem with that. Kampuk University denies request to host women's sports activist Paula Scanlon. Here's one that just this just makes me sick. And this is a Donald J. Trump Day one fix west Point, the Military Academy, Army Military Academy, west Point. They ditched and I remember this duty, honor country from the mission statement.
Speaker 2: That needs to stop.
Speaker 1: That's got to be a Donald Trump Day one Executive order, and he's the commander in chief.
Speaker 2: He can do it. Well.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'll go on and on about this stuff, and I do have some more, but we have to break. However, when we come back, we're gonna talk to our friend Peter Bronson. He has yet another new book out. I'm in the middle of reading it now. It's great, and he'll tell you about it when we get back. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW Allan in for the great American Willie Cunningham. I'll tell you what you're gonna love. This segment. We got our friend Peter Bronson. He is out with a new book. It's called Promised Land. How the Midwest Was One, which is really a prequel to his last book, which was great, The Man who Saved Cincinnati. Peter, thanks for coming down.
Speaker 2: Today, do you. Mike always have a good time with you. Hey, before we start, I gotta tell you this. A very good.
Speaker 1: Friend of mine, when he heard just a little bit of go that you were going to be on, I'm just gonna read it. I won't give the names, but he said. Also your next segment with Peter Bronson, I just gave his wife four books for Christmas. Four of Peter's books for Christmas. Awesome, there you go, buddy, fantastic you know. And this is selling pretty good too. Oh, it's doing great. You know.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati it loves its history, and Cincinnati is blessed with fantastic history. Absolutely. I mean, there are so many hidden treasures right here in our own backyard that people don't know about. And my joy, my real passion now is finding those through research and digging up those great stories and then sharing them with readers here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Oh and you do a great job at Thank you, Aproposa Nothing. One of the things I thought about doing sometime, and you know, you see it on social media is going to a place like you talk about and looking for for remnants, you know, the metal detective thing.
Speaker 2: Fun. Oh it is. I've heard from a lot of people who are doing that really. For example, Camp Dennison has always been a gold mine of that because the Union Army was that's their boot camp and that's where they mustered in. So you've got belt buckles, you've got cartridges, you've got shell casings, you've got all kinds of little pieces of harness and everything else. And then there's all kinds of other places. I have a guy who's been in touch with me, A shot up for Jack Hastings. Jack Hastings got in touch with me after reading The Man Who Saved Cincinnati and he's been on a scavenger hunt ever since to try and determine where was the battery on Mount Adams. Oh okay, so there is even a Hatch street. There, there's a battery street. And he's got it pretty well narrowed down. But you know, there are just no maps anymore we write maps of that stuff. Has he found any artifacts? He has not, but he's found a lot of really cool clues and he hasn't given up yet. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: I'd like to try it, but you know, given my patience level, i'd just be afraid. I'd be there at half hour if I didn't find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I know, And we'll get to the book. Here is my father.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, he took us down I think it was in Cleeves somewhere, an Indian mound where Yeah, we actually, of course they had no metal detectors or anything, but we found a couple of arrowheads. Oh really, which is pretty cool. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I mean, people when they when the first settlers arrived here on the banks of the Ohio, there were all these cool mounds and they had no idea what they were. And a lot of times they were moving that dirt around because they needed berms, they needed good soil for planting their corn, and this was readily available and they started finding all these skeletons.
Speaker 1: Is that why it's an Indian mound because they kind of used I guess as a dumping ground and moved the stuff. Yes, yes, interesting.
Speaker 2: So we had mounds even in downtown Cincinnati, all the way along the Ohio River, through Terrace Park, through Columbia, Tussalem, through Milford, all the way out to Newtown. There were huge mounds all along through here, and some of them were super elaborate. We don't even know today how these people were able to build such precisely engineered circles, for example, half mile across yep with no modern tools and they had to move the earth with baskets.
Speaker 1: Pretty amazing, it is. Hey, let's talk about the book. Tell us about it, as I said, reached to me and I'm not finished yet. As a prequel to The Man who Saved Cincinnati, which that couldn't put that one down.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the book, Well, it's a book about the first settlers who came down the Ohio River on flatboats at a time when this whole area was known as the Miami Slaughterhouse. The Miami Valley was the area where nobody was brave enough to settle. Kentucky was fairly well settled by that time, but both sides of the river had Indian raids, but the northern half, northern side of the Ohio River was really bad. At one four year period, there were fifteen hundred settlers taken by Indians who yeah, and they would be taken as hostages and sold to the British for one hundred dollars. Their scalps could be sold to the British for fifty dollars, and or they would be used for entertainment as torture victims where they would stretch out the torture for three or four days while the whole tribe would celebrate and get involved in burning them slowly to death or whatever they decided to do. It was just absolutely horrible.
Speaker 1: Boy, you talk about violent, and I think I read they got a hundred bucks for a live hostages. Yes, yes, and they gave them to the British.
Speaker 2: Is that the deal? Yeah, because it's a lot of people. I didn't understand this until I did the research for this book, but the British were very unhappy about losing the Revolutionary War. So their whole strategy during that period was to have their their ford in Detroit. That was their Canada headquarters, where the governor would be, and they were going to make sure that none of these upp and E columnists got passed anywhere near into the Midwest because that was their land. They were going to claim that for camp. So if not for these I know that. Yeah. So if not for these really tough people who settled Ohio, most of them American Revolutionary War veterans, if not for them, all of this Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, the Northwest Territory would have been part of Canada because if the British, they used the Indians as their proxy warriors, and they've sponsored them much in the same way that Iran sponsors groups like humas well. I see that correlation. Yeah, And the terrorism against these settlers was really brutal. So the idea was to terrorize them so bad nobody would dare settle in this area, and thereby the British could eventually claim the whole Midwest for Canada. Wow.
Speaker 1: And Fort Washington Way obviously is a street now, but that played a big part too, Oh it did.
Speaker 2: Fort Washington was the footprint, the beachhead for all of these settlers, because that was the biggest stock cad on the river. That was where the army was formed. The first US Army trained there under Matt Anthony Wayne, and that was the one there.
Speaker 1: And there's a street named after him here.
Speaker 2: Yes, and nobody A lot of people don't unaware of this, but that original US Army, the first army authorized by Congress, a standing army that George Washington fought tooth and nailed to get approved, was the one that was trained right here in Cincinnati, Fort Washington. Some of the Army, the units, the divisions in the Army today still traced their unit numbers back to that group. Wow.
Speaker 1: Is there any evidence that George Washington, during the war any other time, actually came to Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is good evidence of that.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He was with the French and Indian War, and he fought his way.
Speaker 1: Very far right before the Revolution.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he had a battle that would have been in Pennsylvania as we know it now, but he had a battle there. So there's a very good life likelihood that he explored this area as a surveyor, and he was just an amazing guy. My respect for Washington when I review did the research for this, I just can't say enough about him as such a great man and a great founder of our country.
Speaker 1: Without him, boy, you can't say enough about him. I'm glad you mentioned that. I just finished a book before I started reading yours, Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. I think, oh, yeah, it's a book about the presidents, but it kind of encapsulated the presidency with their problems and things like that.
Speaker 2: I think he'd like it. Yeah. I think he ended up choosing Lincoln as his number one president over Washington. I would quibble with that. I think the difference there is that both men had huge crises thrust upon them and rose to greatness. But it was Washington who really formed this nation. If not for him fighting for that standing army would have defeated the Indian Confederation at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. We never would have had our first Army that made the whole Northwest Territory safe and drove the British out, and really a huge part of our country would have been part of Canada, and that would have started the growth of the whole USA. I mean, there would have been nothing.
Speaker 1: And he was a reluctant warrior from what I read. I mean his wife wanted didn't want him to go. He wanted to run his uh. I guess it was a plantation, yes, but he loved his country, yes, his brand new country yes. And what he did at Valley Forge, for example, just amazing profiles and courage. There's nobody like him that I can think of. I mean, there's just no leader for sure on this.
Speaker 2: Continent as a president who measures up close.
Speaker 1: Well, you got Joe Biden, though.
Speaker 5: Well he'd hardly be number one on my list. And worst yeah mine too. Hey, let me ask you. I believe you said or I read it. I forget that the Ohio side was crazier and more violent than Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Is that accurate?
Speaker 1: And why was that?
Speaker 2: Well? Both sides had what they called in those days depredations. Depredations were the Indian raids and the terrible massacres and the just terrible terroristic violence that was perpetrated on these settlers. Kentucky was considered. That whole area was considered a neutral hunting ground shared by all of the tribes. And the two most fierce tribes in all of this whole area of the West as it was known then, were the Shawnee and the Miami.
Speaker 1: And the Shawnee were the ones that down by the Salor Park area. They got that big statue at Takumpsa down there. And what's that fellow's name? We talked about it, that Eckert.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ellen Eckert wrote a great book about Takumsa. Yeah, and another one about Simon Kenton, who also plays a role in my book as one of the frontiersman. He's just a legend, a towering legend. Simon Kenton is somebody that more of Cincinnati should know about. One of the things I love about writing these books is it's that I'm allowed to share stories that should make Cincinnati very proud of our city in our history. I mean, it should make us really absolutely with a sense of place with no less pride than Texas. Yep, I mean Texas has their pride. Hey, Cincinnati should be just as Pop, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Texas, can you tell us about the Twin Sisters.
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely so. Not only did Cincinnati these tough frontier people, they saved the Northwest Territory from becoming part of Canada. Then in the eighteen thirties, Cincinnati was the only city that stood up and lent aid and went to the rescue of Texas when they were fighting for their lives against Mexico. And the way Cincinnati did it, they sent two cannons that were ultimately known as the Twin Sisters. Nobody else sent much help to Texas. Cincinnati was the only place, and we sent these cannons that arrived just in time to be on the battlefield at Sanya Sinto when Texas won their independence and defeated Santa Anna.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And if not for those cannons, which Santa Anna didn't know that Texans had, they would not have won that battle. There is no question in fact, for decades after, during their celebrations of independence that Texas always made a big point of issuing their their gratitude and thanks to Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: So they do acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: They did, for I don't think much anymore because these things have been forgotten, sure, but at one point Texas sent Santa Anna's dagger that was taken from him on the battlefield when he surrendered that day to here Cincinnati was given to it was presented to the Mayor of Cincinnati. It was a jewel encrusted dagger with a gold hilt, and it was absolutely gorgeous. We unfortunately can't find it anymore because it was at one point donated to the Cincinnati Museum of Art and I was lost somewhere in the collection, or somebody walked off with it, We don't know.
Speaker 1: That's a damn shame. It is not surprising, I guess there are, as we mentioned before, so many streets in this city named after people that you write about in your book. Besides Matt Anthony Wayne, what are some of the others?
Speaker 2: Oh? Kemper, Reverend James Kemper was the first ordained trained minister in the Pacific in the Northwest Territory Pard me and he was a very brave man. Before Matt Anthony Wayne defeated the Indian Confederation, there were two expeditions that were sent up under General Harmar and under General Saint Clair, and both of these were not only defeated. They were massacred and massacred in such a way that would absolutely demoralize everybody, sure who was clinging to life in Cincinnati. In Fort Washington. When Saint Clair was defeated, they called that the Battle of a thousand slain, because that's how many soldiers and their wives and their children and all the other people that marched with Saint Clair. They were all murdered and just masacred, and the only few survivors that came back were absolutely devastated. And Cincinnati's settlers were ready to abandon that Fort Washington. And it was James Kemper who went door to door and rallied them and said, no, this is our gift from God, our freedom right, our independence we have. This is our promised land. This is the land that we are supposed to inherit, and we can make something happen here. But don't give up. Don't give up. Share. And this guy, that's a brave guy. If that wasn't enough, then as pastor, he used to travel on horseback from settlement to settlement, which you know, eight or ten miles between these stations, to do services for Sunday or to do funerals and weddings. And this was at a time when these Indians were taking people left and right, and it's a miracle that he was not taken.
Speaker 1: I tell you, like you said, Peter Brownson, so much history. Unfortunately, we're getting close to being out of time. However, I didn't want to save some time for you to tell my listeners how they can get the book.
Speaker 2: Well, you can get this at all of the local bookstores, for example, Robling Books, Joseph Beth, Barnes, and Noble. I've been. I did a lot of book signing at Joseph Beth. That was quite a hit. A lot of people came out to say hi, so thank you to all you also available to Amazon. I try to support the local bookstores, but if you like the convenience of persons, many of them anymore. No, I love the local bookstores available at Amazon. But if you want to sign copy, I have specials on my website right now.
Speaker 1: Maybe you didn't get what you wanted for Christmas, Hey, there you go.
Speaker 2: So I'm at chilidogpress dot com and you'll see some specials there where you can buy three get one free, and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Would I would recommend that you do that. I didn't mention Peter's other books, and well he's got a lot of them. Forbidden Fruits, in Cities Underworld and Supper Club Inferno. That was amazing. My favorite is, you know, Peter Bronson, Behind the Lines, the Untold Story of the Cincinnati Riots. That was a book that needed to be written, and you were right in the middle of it, well right and smacking the middle. Yeah, not in our town, Queen City versus the King of smut.
Speaker 2: Hey, you probably know a lot about that too. Oh yeah, well listen.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately we're out of time, Peter Bronson, but really appreciate.
Speaker 2: You coming in. Oh my pleasure as always. Okay, well being here, Mike.
Speaker 1: My pleasure. All right, that's Peter Bronson out with his new book, Promised Land, How the Midwest was Won. Hey, we got to take a break, but we'll be back. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW, Mike Allen, They we're back, Mike Allen in four Willie Cunningham seven hundred WLW. And I will be back in the Saturday Show chair tomorrow morning. Looking forward to getting back to that. And I got some stuff that well, put it this way, I'm gonna throw a little red meat around some things that I'm kind of honked off about, and something tells me I'll be ranting and raving about it tomorrow at nine. I wanted to let you know too that Dan Carroll Jason Williams are coming on after me. Two great men there. You definitely want to listen to that. Okay, here we go. We're kind of on the topic of what's going on in higher education. Of course, the college campus being the cesspool of non representative thought. I guess that's one way of saying it. You know, they are so so afraid to tell you both, or tell student more appropriately, both sides of an issue. And you know what, at the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned, that's just cowardice. It's just abject, absolute cowardice. You know, they're afraid to say, well, you know, here's a guy, a speaker or whatever, or I'm going to give you kind of another read on things, because God forbid, then they might actually choose the other way. But anyway, the College Fix, we've been reading some stuff from that boy.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: The College Fix and Campus Reform are two wonderful online publications that and their students. They keep their eye on what's going on on the college campus. And I hope they wear a mask to class because college professors would have their knives out for these guys. They do a great job. Well anyway, you get all these things. At the end of the year most outrageous things that happened. The College Fix put together the twenty most Outrageous Campus stories. This is actually Spring twenty twenty four came out on June eighteenth, so presumably they'll be coming out with another one. But boy, there's some good ones in this one. Jennifer Cabani of The College Fix rights between the zany professors, well, that's a kind word absurd, cancel culture incidents, very appropriate, and students running amok campuses continue to illustrate. Why and this just lays the cheese on the crackers, if you will, why so many Americans have lost confidence in their institutions of higher learning? You think as the Spring twenty twenty four semester comes to a close again, this is written back in June. The College Fix offers, in no particular order, a highlight reel of some of the most outrageous moments campus life has proffered and you know, we kid around about this, and I mean just no getting around it. Some of it is humorous, but it's also very sad too. And guess what if, in fact it is a public institution, a state sponsored school, we're paying for it in one way, shape or form. Just a few of them here, and all they did was give me the headlines. If you want to read more about these things, I'm going to tell you about. The article is entitled the College fixes twenty most outrageous Campus Stories of Spring twenty twenty four semester. Okay, see you. I'm assuming they mean Colorado University, although I'm not one hundred percent sure. Professor dresses like a butterfly to fight climate anxiety. I gotta go back and read that one. SeeU Boulder professor dresses like a butterfly to fight climate anxiety. Let me tell you some about climate anxiety. These freaks are gonna be having a lot of climate anxiety for the next four years. That's gonna be fun to watch too. I love this one, and I wish they would have had this when I was in college because this would have helped me. Tongue kind of in cheek on that one. Oregon university will no longer give D minus and F grades, And I don't know. I guess there's some stupid, politically correct reason for doing that. But I mean, if that's the grading system that they're gonna use, I mean, what do you do? D minus is nothing the rite home about. But if they do it on a point system, which I think they're doing that, at least it gives you a little bit. But hey, it says remember the good old days when kids were actually expected to learn very very appropriate right on the money. Oh, reading along here this nonsense. Professor labels Michelangelo painting an example of are you ready? I will bet at least eighty percent of you would nail this one, because it's something they throw into everything. Professor labels Michelangelo painting example of white supremacy. Everything is white supremacy. So you know, Michelangelo, knock it off. You're a white supremacist and you need to stay where you are. The left despises true beauty as it goes on. And also everything is racist. Boy, you got that right? You know that word racism and racist. I'm sorry to say it. Really, Julie has lost all of its meaning, and that's because it's tossed around like penny candy, And are there still racist of both races or I should say of all races around? Thankfully, not very many at all. But they toss this thing around and hurl this insult at people and it just doesn't have any meeting anymore. You're gonna love this. I'm gonna have to go back and read the full thing on this one. Professor worries too many robots are not white supremacists but white God. Professor worries that too many robots are white. I'm not making this stuff up. I'm not making again. It's the the College Fix and it's right online. You can go get it if you don't believe me. Syracuse micro Aggressions and Microaggressions. I think of the things that little things episs liberals off, micro aggressions. I think that's what they're Syracuse micro Aggressions Workshop. It's a workshop that they set up looking at a service animal micro assault. I gotta look at that. And the editorial comment on that one is they're scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one. Oh, I gotta be fee be a little bit careful how I say this one University and it doesn't say which one it would in the full text universal Man universities ejaculate Responsibly. I guess I could say that campaign blames men for unwanted pregnancies. Universities ejaculate responsibility, campaign blames men for unwanted pregnancies. And the editorial thing from the college fix on that there's a punchline in here somewhere, ed.
Speaker 2: I think they're right.
Speaker 1: Oh, back to the usual nonsense. George Mason University professor teaches that marriage promotes what else, white supremacy. So if you get married, presumably, according to this idiot, you're a white supremacist. This one is just typical college force. I don't know what college forces athletes to watch only Whites are racist video? There you again, people exhibit a exhibit a of one side of an issue. What he's saying, the premise is just absurd. It's absolutely absurd. But you can bet your bottom dollar that there ain't gonna be any rebuttal on that maybe the students. I don't know, you know, I gotta tell you, we went to college. I was up at UC seventy four on and off seventy four to about nineteen seventy nine. And when these professors started saying this wacky stuff, my group of friends known as the nit Tite group, all police cadets with me.
Speaker 2: We didn't let them get away with it.
Speaker 1: I mean we were in their face, in their face in a respectful way. And luckily, back in the day, almost all of those exams were Unless you're my age, you probably don't remember blue books, and we didn't have to put our names on it. But I guess if the professor really wanted to find out who it was, they could. But I don't remember any example of a teacher getting even so to speak with any of us. All right, moving right along here. Mandatory prayer to Mama Earth in UCLA Med school structural Oh my god, you know you hear, there's so many different racisms. Mandatory prayer to not Mother Earth, Mama Earth. You pray to Mama Earth in UCLA Med school in a structural racism class. Now, let me acces this question. What does racism, structural racism, or racism in any form have to do with medical school? And that's a big deal. Now there's kind of a movement afoot of sensible doctors to kind of end this nonsense. Cut it off at the pass. Hey, listen, let's do this. Let's take a short break, be back for just a little bit. After the break, Mike Allen in for Willie seven WLW. Hey, we're back closing minutes of this show. Mike Allen and poor Willie Cunningham, followed by Dan Carroll and Jason Williams. They're going to be doing it together. That'll be good. Two very good men right there. I will be back in the Saturday morning seat tomorrow nine to noon, also doing Willie's Show next Wednesday, and doing Sloany Show next Thursday. I wanted to thank Sean, my excellent producer, and I'm doing it now because if I don't do it now, I'll probably forget. Got a few minutes left here. There's a couple more of these things that I got a hit with you. The nonsense, the absolute nonsense on the American college campus, all right, mandatory Arizona State University course teaches journalism students or teaches journey students against asking are you ready for this? Where are you from? Because it is racist. So in some way if I ask, presumably white guy, black guy, whatever, hey man, where are you from? I'm a racist that's just the absurdity, that just the abject absurdity that this stuff has come to. And at some point, at some time, we're going to have to get a hold of this and right the ship on the college campus. And I know that is easier said than done, no question about that. Well, the last one here again the college fixed. This was just from a couple of days ago. And again at the end of the year, you get all these things, the top twenty stupid things that liberals do, that kind of stuff. This one is. There were twenty one campus hate crime hoaxes uncovered in twenty twenty four. I'm gonna save the best one for last year, Okay, coming in at number two. Illinois State University can't verify the use of a racial slur by a fan. After interviewing forty seven count on forty seven people and reviewing hours of footage, the public university in Normal, Illinois said in January it couldnot quote verify the use of a racial slur close quote by a basketball fan that allegedly occurred during a game in December of twenty twenty three. So obviously, if that happened, it's not right. But does it justify interviewing forty seven people watching hours of footage. And the question I have is another question, how much money did this public university spend on this? You know, if he said it and he was surrounded by his friends, you know, let them take care of it. It's just you. I mean, nobody can condone that, and I certainly am not condoning it. But there's got to be a little common sense in this stuff. Although that's a lot to ask. This one, I wanted to say for last because this one really really hits a nerve with me. Eighteen years after almost ruining the lives of three duke lacrosse players, stripper slash murderer admits to making it all up. That story broke a couple of weeks ago. And you know, I guess it depends on what age are, whether you remember this or not. It was unbelievable. That's just long story short. I believe it was three duke lacrosse players. This fraternity, I guess it was the lacrosse fraternity had a party and they invited a couple of strippers. Not a good idea, not a good idea at all. Well, one of the strippers told the cops that the boys raped her. The young men raped her. It didn't happen. There was zero credible evidence. The prosecutor's name was Mike Nyphong. He was running for reelection and he was reaping all of this public for the time, public praise for what he did. He ended up he had to resign and he actually went to jail for one year. But let me in the closings. I want to just single out one person for a real raspberry on this, and that's Nancy Grace, the alleged legal analyst. Back then, she frickasied these boys. I mean, it was just awful and she didn't apologize. And since this woman come out and it said it was a lie, said nothing and that ain't right. Hey, but I'm out of time. Thanks again to Willie for let me sub for him. I'll be in tomorrow morning. On Saturday midday, Mike Allen seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Infighting going on among the political party. With a three o'clock report, I'm Taron Johnson breaking now there's Republican infighting going on online as some members of President elect Donald Trump's inner circle are defending the granting of US visas to foreign born workers. ABC's Stephen Portnoy explains.
Speaker 6: The spatpits newly influential voices in Magaworld against outspoken members of Trump's base. The ake Ramaswami posts that American culture prizes mediocrity, celebrating prom queens over math olympiads and jocks over valedictorians. South African born Elon Musk echoed the sentiment, citing a dire shortage of talented and motivated Americans to fill key tech industry roles. These posts have sparked a torrent of pushback from Trump loyalists. Now for a look at the latest traffic and weather together from.
Speaker 8: The UC Health Traffic Center with U see health. The future of care is happening now through clinical trials and innovative treatments that give patients a chance for better outcomes. Visit UCHealth dot com. On Seventh Street, it is an accident at Sycamore Street, Dalton Avenue. Another crash over at Bank Street and on westbound two seventy five. An accident between Dixie Highway and seventy one seventy five, causing a few minutes worth of delays on northbound seventy one, seventy five and earlier accident has been cleared between Buttermilk Pike and Dixie Highway. All in all going to be about a fifteen minute delay back from Mall Road. I'm at Ezalekan News Radio seven hundred WLW now.
Speaker 6: The latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center advanced dentistry, the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 2: We're here for you.
Speaker 1: No Fear Dentist dot Com