Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: If you've been listening to Munster Talk for a while, you've heard a few things here and there about how I served in the Navy, and my web handle is usually doctor Atlantis, although I have to add that I'm not a doctor and I don't believe there was a literal Atlantis. And maybe you thought to yourself, what if there was a way that this guy could combine his experience with being on a ship, his fascination in the mysteries of Atlantis, and the Bermuda Triangle ooh, and his twenty fifth wedding anniversary all into one big cruise ship themed experience that you could come along with. Well, then you're in luck, because Monster Talk is combining forces with the popular skeptical podcast Skeptoid as we brave the Bermuda Triangle in twenty twenty five, I'll be one of the skeptic celebrities participating in this adventure in the warm waters off the coast of Florida. Will we find the Missing Flight nineteen? Will we find proof of Atlantis? Will Sea Musters pilot us through these mystery filled waters? No, but I promise you there will be science and history field discussions and plenty of punds if I have anything to do with it. Early bird pricing is still available, so come get some sun, visit beautiful places, roll your eyes at my terrible puns, and raise money to fund Skeptoid and Monster Talk shared mission of promoting skepticism and science while still enjoying a good mystery. Plus you'll get to meet my wife as we celebrate twenty five years of marriage together. So maybe there's not going to be any UFOs or time bor disease, but you know a thing like that. At least heince that miracles can happen, So sign up soon before the early bird prices go away. Check the show notes for a link, or go to skeptoid dot com and click events to find your way onto Braving the Bermuda Triangle Hiptoid Adventure. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature. Part eight, Part mast in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster Monster Talk.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. When Karen asked me about covering the Hackamock Triangle, I wasn't certain what she was talking about, but when I figured out she was talking about what I've known as the Bridgewater Triangle, it all clicked. I'm actually surprised we haven't done more on this topic before, but I'm sharing a conversation we had with podcaster and friend of the show, Andy Driscoll, and this is his stumping ground, this is where he comes from. Check the show notes for a link to his show, The Old Colony Cast, which he does with another Monster Talk supporter who will presently remain nameless, but whose support we appreciate very much. Anyway, this recording is about the Bridgewater Triangle. It's an area of mystery that was defined geographically by Lauren Coleman in the nineteen eighties. But clearly Lauren was playing with the idea of the Bermuda Triangle. And this, of course reminded me of the cruise that I'll be taking the summer as part of the Skeptoid podcasts Braving the Bermuda Triangle adventure, which in turn reminded me the fact that the Bermuda Triangle had been very rationally and systematically debunked by a librarian working at Arizona State University's library back in nineteen seventy five. That was Larry Kusch, whose book The Bermuda Triangle Missed Resolved explained that there was no statistical significance to the many disappearances in that region compared to any other regions of the ocean with similar traffic volume. In other words, he made the overall concept of a remuter triangle disappear itself in a puff of statistical analysis. And I love that, But I'm sad to report that Larry passed away July twenty second, twenty twenty four. Now, he and I never spoke, but I did think of him often, and I appreciate the work that he put in. I put some links to Larry's obituary and his Wikipedia page in the show notes. Now the question remains whether the Bridge Water, or as our guest refers to it, the Hockamack Triangle, would also disappear if we applied similar statistical analysis. And I don't know. It's not apples to apples to look at a region with many reported monsters compared to other reported disappearances in shipping lanes. But something tells me that when you get down to it, any kind of window area or a mysterious triangle or whatever regular geometrical shape you want to apply to such a regionalization. At the heart of it, what you'll be looking at is how obsessively a researcher is willing to collect data on a place. But that's just a hypothesis anyway. This is an introductory episode to the concept, and we'll be lightly touching on several mysterious phenomena reported there, and I hope to dive in deeper on some of these this year. So thanks to Andy for coming to be our local tour guide. Once he's shown us the highlights, we'll dig deeper in future more instrutal. So, first of all, let me say I'm just going to do an intro here in the sense of welcome to the show, Andy Driscoll. But I don't think I mean if I told people that I know you through a neebriart and that we've talked before on podcasts, I think it would still be best if you introduced yourself and guided people to where you'd like them to find you.
Speaker 3: So I'm Andy Driscoll. I run a kneebri Art.
Speaker 4: It is a company based in Massachusetts and we run all sorts of events at Barsbery's and restaurants, and like seven or eight years ago we decided to get in a podcasting and we have three different shows, was in a fourth one launching in the spring, because I just over commit to things. And you can find an ebri Art pretty much anywhere you know you'd find podcasts where there there's some four hundred plus episodes and we've had a Monster Talk episode and a Karen stoles Now episode and yes, I mean and then.
Speaker 3: You can just find us on our website at need your art dot com.
Speaker 2: Well, very cool, and we'll put links to that stuff in the show notes. Now, we're gonna be talking about a topic that we're calling the Hackamock Triangle. It's also called the Bridgewater Triangle, and we'll actually be talking a little bit about the naming along the way.
Speaker 3: Cure.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, this is a big topic and we're just this is like the introductory episode because I think we're going to come back to this and dive in a little deeper in the future. So let's just sort of take a let's go, let's swamping.
Speaker 4: Sure, I have pretty much lived my entire life inside the Bridgewater Triangle and I didn't even really know about it until maybe twenty years ago, give or take.
Speaker 3: And it's a massive, massive subject.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, Andy, I was on your show, I think it was a couple of weeks ago now, and we got talking about the hock a Mock Triangle and I hadn't heard of it before, and you said you lived in the area, So if you could tell us a little bit about I know, again, this is a huge topic, but give us an overview of where this is and sure what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it is a two hundred roughly two hundred square mile you know, triangle that someone drew on the map, and it is located probably the top point is probably about Thirlready to forty minutes south of Boston, and its most southern point is probably that same distance, just above Cape Cod. It's effecially known as either the South Shore or South Coast of Massachusetts, depending on which side of Cape Cod you're on, and it's signified by three towns, and it's Abington, Freetown in Rehoboth that kind of makes up the the triangle. And I grew up in Whitman, which is one town over from Abington, and it is a hotbed of It is every possible crypto paranormal catch all. I mean everything from giants, snakes and birds to alien abductions and saint worshippers.
Speaker 3: A great place to grow up.
Speaker 2: So you said you first became a aware of I guess the lore even though you were living in it about twenty years ago. So how did how did you come to find out about.
Speaker 4: It in the most obscure way possible. I used to own a comic book shop and I had gotten a someone had traded in a set of trading cars. It was all like paranormal stuff, and I was just kind of like thumbing through the cars just you know, I love paranormal encryptids and whatnot.
Speaker 3: And I was curious to see what was in there. And then there was.
Speaker 4: A card that just said Bridgewater Triangle and I'm like, what, what what is it that?
Speaker 3: That's where I live?
Speaker 4: And I was literally in Bridgewater at the time, and so then it just kind of took me down. This is like early stages of the Internet, but took me down a rabbit hole and really interesting, and it kind of is fairly new as as far as triangles go. It is accredited to Lauren Coleman, who runs the Cryptozoology Museum in Portland, Maine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: He was living in Massachusetts in the mid to late seventies and noticed that the Bridgewaters form a triangle, which I think is kind of silly because pretty much any three points that aren't on a straight line are going to form some sort of tragle.
Speaker 2: It's true, It's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I'm not a you know, geometry person, but I think that's right. And in his book in eighty three Mysterious Amarica, he like coined the term the Bridgewater triangle because he just started searching in that area for paranormal stuff and just to credit it all to this triangle. And a lot of the people who buy into this believe it is because of the Kings, the King Phillip's War, which is considered the bloodiest war in American history per capita, which I think is a weird thing to put on a war, but it was between the colonizers and the indigenous tribes in this area, and it was really, really terrible.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to make a comment about the fact that you've lived there and hadn't heard of this Bridgewater triangle before. That's happened to me before as well. My mother's lived for decades in Queensland and Australia and she lived in a place called Butterham, and it was only maybe ten years ago I think that I found out about claims of a Butterham beast, so a local Tasmanian tiger. So I think it's interesting how you can just live in a place and there are all these claims that are kind of surrounding the place and people living there never heard of it before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's and it's one of the areas of the country that you know, has been around the longest. It's right up the road from Plymouth where the Pilgrims landed. And even when I was kind of doing some research for this, I found more claims that I had never heard in relation to like giant cats, And I'm like, I've heard giant dogs, but I've heard giant cats in relations to this, and yeah, so it is literally kind of this catch all, you know, giant cats, giant dogs, bigfoot, puck, wedgies, UFOs, lots of ghost stories, thunderbirds, spirit lights. I mean, just anything you can think of is kind of accredited to this area. And again, yeah, and and that's part of it. Is the legend is that when Metacomet.
Speaker 3: Who.
Speaker 4: The colonizers referred to kind of auditory wise as King Phillips, when he died in that war, it was said that he put a curse on the land, and that's why all this kind of bad juju exists around here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, people might be very skeptical of this whole thing, but if you look at all the angles of the Bridgewater Triangle, you'll do a full one eighty.
Speaker 3: So that that is true. That is true. That's just mad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm wondering too, because I mean it's not terribly far away from Salem, so there stories of witches associated with the area as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not too far away.
Speaker 4: There was a kind of witch in the Plymouth area called Mother Crew, and.
Speaker 3: I would have to I know we've talked.
Speaker 4: About her on one of our shows, and as much I hope this happens to you guys when you podcast, sometimes when you're done recording, that just kind of all filters out of your head.
Speaker 3: And i'd have to go back and review that.
Speaker 4: But I know, Mother Crew was kind of like a witch of the area, and you know, cursed people and kind of.
Speaker 3: That whole thing.
Speaker 5: I think there's that kind of bridge. Witches and things like that are very common in a lot of areas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean we didn't have like the witch trials, but again, like that was not not far away at all.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So it's I get I've always been troubled by triangles, not not the geometrical shape, but the paranormal encapsulation.
Speaker 4: Is that I agree completely, Yeah, I mean I have my reason too well.
Speaker 2: I think it goes back to the Remuter triangle, where a statistician did the work to point out that, you know, it is a triangle. There's a lot of weird things, but not any more than anywhere else. If you just do a broad analysis of the trends and you know, mysterious disappearances or not mysterious disappearances, then it's no more statistically dangerous in any other place. But like every place that has people tends to attract folklore. So I and it's not to say that there's nothing weird going on, it's just to say that in collecting it all and then putting some lines around. It doesn't mean it's a special place. It's just a place that's got lines around it. But then you know, I mean, you know, states, and you know, but geographical borders are a human construct too, so I don't know, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I agree, And I have no problem saying I don't really think there's anything going on of the interest here, and I have some personal theories of things that I believe are in relation to this. But and yeah, it is so much that this particular guy I saw that three towns made a triangle and looked up a bunch of spooky stuff and marked it on the map, and then people just attribute everything in that area to it, even if.
Speaker 3: It's just outside the triangle, because.
Speaker 4: They're like, well it's close, so you get kind of a lot of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, this is not the first time that Lauren has.
Speaker 3: Said it is just if you do that triangle anywhere.
Speaker 2: Is this not the first time Lauren has drawn together lots of connections between stuff that may not actually be related. He's really into synchro mysticism and that sort of thing. And also, I mean, you look at like the Dover demon. He likes to throw a catchy name on things, so you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's very good at that.
Speaker 4: One of the better known legends around here is the Red Headed Hitchhiker, and that's on a stretch of Route forty four in between se Conk and Rehobeth, and even you know, the investigators and whatnot have said that it started off as like a ghost sighting, and now any hitch hiker lore all gets contributed to the red Headed Hitchhiker as like added on, like oh yeah, and if you shut your lights off and keep your horn three times and turn you know, like any hitchhiker lore anywhere suddenly becomes the same here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the red Headed Hitchhiker though, that's that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's supposed to appear in your car. It started off I think the earliest ones were that he would show up in your car, that your radio station would change, and then as time went on, more and more got attributed to him that were just kind of like knock off of other hitchhiking ghost lore. And it's always one of those you know, my friend's cousin's uncle.
Speaker 3: This happened too. Yeah, oh yeah, the real direct.
Speaker 2: Classic folklore friend of a friend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is also called the red Headed Hitchhiker of Route forty four. Have you heard that before?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so where's Route forty four? Sorry, I'm not local to Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Like, so it goes right through the Bridgewater Triangle, No surprise there, okay, And it is a kind of like a minor highway, like it's two lanes, but sometimes it's you know, with traffic lights and no center island, and you can pretty much go from trying to think how far north it goes, but it can take you pretty much all the way down into Rhode Island. And so it's a long stretch and covers pretty much that's the whole entirety of the Bridgewater Triangle and a little bit beyond that. And then there's also old forty four because they added to it and improved it.
Speaker 3: So there's even I don't think there's.
Speaker 4: Any law in relation to that, other than when you get directions from some people they say forty four and they mean the other one.
Speaker 3: But that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 2: But it's too it's math in this episode.
Speaker 5: But so it seems like even though I hadn't heard of the place, and you only found out about it twenty years ago. It sounds like there is a lot of law surrounding the place and a lot of paranormalists know about the Bridgewater trying do you get a lot of visitors there and legend troopers people coming from all around the globe to check it out and test things out.
Speaker 4: I don't know how many people come from out of state.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there are some, but there's a lot of local.
Speaker 4: Ghost hunting haunted tours, and everyone's trying to, you know, search every old building they can find. There's several mystical rocks in the area. Is another thing that we have a lot of. There's Dighton Rock, There's Profile Rock. There's Anawon Rock, which is kind of like Anaon Rock. I think is the one that is probably the most ghostly and has the most legend around it. Dighton Rock is more mysterious carvings and no one knows what it is. And then Profile Rock is one of those just natural formations that look like someone's face and people attribute it to you know, part of metacomics, curse or or some other you know, mystical thing, and it's just a rock.
Speaker 3: That looks like a face.
Speaker 5: Could do you, But I took a bit more about those commings because I've seen a few photographs and I'm wondering what the story is in the claims behind those.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's called Dighton Rock and there's it's a sizeable rock. They've actually built like a kind of gazebo around it, and there's all sorts of carvings on it, and some look like faces, some look like maybe some sort of script of some kind, but it's essentially indecipherable. No one really knows who did it. No one knows where the carvings came from. No one knows what it says. And there's a few they're not even sure if and like if there if it is language or what language, what language it is. Some say it is, you know, wamp and O Egg, which is the indigenous tribe of the area. Some people think it's Portuguese, which I find very strange because I can't really understand.
Speaker 3: Why that would be. There's some speculation that it's like.
Speaker 4: Norse ruins, because the the Norse were known kind of cross the ocean and be in this area somewhat. And and then there's some people that kind of say, you know, it's like one on top of the other, and so it's it's completely unclear yeah, what it is or why it's there, but it's it's a really interesting You can find pictures of it all over of the carving, and it is just kind of in discard, you know, indecipable scribblings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are all very different things that you're.
Speaker 2: There's an extensive history of of of hoaxes and fake Norse, fake Celtic, all these sort of fake Hebrew like, just so many of these things. And I noticed that, uh, friend of the show Ken Fader uh included an entry. I don't have this to hand, but he included an entry in his book called the Encyclopedia of Dubious Archaeology, So he might he might be interesting to talk to you about that one. But I mean, that is it is fascinating how many let's call them Europeans I have decided to sort of extend the archaeological record through their own creativity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this everybody's got a theory about something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Most of the time it's kind of just from yeah, just kind of nonsense.
Speaker 4: And I always say it's the come on, bro explanation where when you question them, they just want to like not have to explain their rationale. And the other the other rock that I find even more interesting is Anawan Rock and that's in Freetown State Forest, and it is kind of directly relates back to the original like lore of how the you know, the Bridgewater Triangle became like a hot bed or cursed or whatever you want to call it. So Annawan was kind of like one of Metacomet's uh lieutenants, and Metacomet had already been killed.
Speaker 3: They cut it, They drawn and quartered him and cut.
Speaker 4: His head off and put his head on a spike outside of the.
Speaker 3: Fort in Plymouth.
Speaker 4: And then they had tracked down Annawan and his war band to this area of ana Wan Rock and he surrendered to half. His name right here in front of me, Benjamin Church, and uh so his his people surrendered and he was killed beheaded. His head also went on a pike.
Speaker 3: And then the indigenous people that did surrender were.
Speaker 2: Separation of Church and Steak.
Speaker 3: And that rock.
Speaker 4: I mean, people people claim to see campfires here, war drums. People have said they've caught EVPs that were in native wamp and no Egg language, which I don't know how they know that, but that one. I know people personally have gone out ghost hunting there and you know, kind of done their little YouTube shows and whatnot, and they kind of always, you know, it's just like every other ghost hunting you know, there's some noise that you can't really hear that they freak out about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what was that?
Speaker 2: What was that was that? Yeah, we've said the word lores so many times. I guess I should mention that I first, I believe, heard about this topic through the podcast Lore back in maybe twenty fifteen. Oh sure, yeah, yeah, And I remember this is so weird. I remember specifically I had just found. I guess it was twenty sixteen. I'd found. I was on a business trip in Austin and I was just wandering around the streets of Austin late at night and listening to that. And that was a pretty creepy episode because they got into that whole thing, the story of Bill something what is his name? Uh? He the guy he was a welder who Bill Russo, who is walking out at night and here he sees something and it makes these strange words at him and guy walking his dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 2: It's like the the e want e Wan it is like he ultimately decides that it's you know, we want you. It's it's super creat it's a very creepy story.
Speaker 4: It is so uh and he is from and some people say that was a puck wedgie.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, and which we should probably define.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so that was in Marshfield.
Speaker 4: So that is probably about thirty minutes where I am sitting right now, because there's no real good direct route there, but you would have to go down forty four to get over there. And that's so forty four really is kind of like you know that the almost like the spinal cord of the Bridgewater Triangle, like because it is just kind of right in the middle. And yeah, so it was basically this guy was out walking his dog and a creature stepped out of the woods and he said it was about three feet tall, kind of dark brown hair and like gray smooth skin, and it was speaking to him. You you got pretty much exactly how he phrased it, like E one two and I think the other one.
Speaker 3: Was like here, yeah, yeah, here, that's what I was like. It wasn't like come here, but it wasn't that.
Speaker 4: So some people think it's a Puckwodgie. Puck Wedgies are kind of like the you know, the local sports team of cryptids around here, even like, but it's also weird because it's such a strange cryptid that even like local people don't really know about puck wedges. It's not real common knowledge. They're kind of known as tricksters. Some say they're like more evil, and some say they're just kind of like pranksters. When I first heard about them, I was trying to look them up online and I couldn't even find, let alone photos. I couldn't even find artwork depictions of them. It's just it's a weird cryptid. There's not a lot of.
Speaker 3: Footage, you know.
Speaker 4: You know there's no classic bigfoot type photo of a puck wedgy right well, you know.
Speaker 2: It fits into that sort of I don't know. It almost feels like a special class of these things where it's a creature as I understand it, that is from indigenous lore, but Europeans have decided to turn it into a cryptid instead of folklore or spirit or whatever else it might be, So it's hybridized. I guess in a way. Culturally, What does that make sink syncretic. Yeah, yeah, well that too. But I was just thinking it's it's not always a one way street. These the stories, you know, they mix both ways, and you know, so which frustrates me because I know this is a kind of a complicated topic, but there's native lore around the creatures that have now become fully recognized as Bigfoot now and it's even changing the way the indigenous people speak about Like so it's they got their peanut, butter and chocolate all mixed up, is what I'm saying. This is like you can't unresis exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So they're they're the other local legend that is kind of integrated into all of the Bridgewater Triangle. So in the center of the Bridgewaters is the Hackamock Swamp and that's why it's called the hacka Mock Triangle sometimes and uh, the Wampao. I believe that there was a giant shape shifting snake that can control lightning called Michigashi.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm sure I'm not getting that pronunciation correct.
Speaker 4: And that's another thing that's attributed the Bridgewater Triangles giant snakes, and you know, it's it is a complete Bengo card of paranormal stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm wondering how Satanic rituals got mixed in with all of this. Is there a story to that.
Speaker 3: The nineteen eighties nineteen eighties panic, So the.
Speaker 4: Whole Satanic cult thing is really based out of the Satanic Panic.
Speaker 3: And the fact that there are parts of.
Speaker 4: The area that are are pretty secluded, like the Freetown State Forests one specifically, and you know, when people did shady things, they would go to places that were you didn't run into a lot of people.
Speaker 3: So there were there were.
Speaker 4: Murders there is there was a we had a serial killer in the area for.
Speaker 3: A while and they never determined who that was. But there was one specific.
Speaker 4: Kind of like the you know, the I don't hate the same celebrity. But the biggest case that was related to the Satanic cult was.
Speaker 3: Doreen Levec and this is like nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 4: She was found behind the bleachers at the Fall River High School And now Fall River to me is a little bit outside that triangle, but you know it's close enough, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how thick you make the lines, that's.
Speaker 4: Exactly right, right right, And she was bound and was a known prostitute and the two people that were arrested in connection with her murder were Robin Murphy and Carl Drew, and there were reports from other people that they partook in satanic rituals.
Speaker 3: With these two. There were certain.
Speaker 4: Like structures found in the Freetown State Forest that people had built, and the detectives at the time that they were satanic in nature, which is really interesting because it made me think back when I was looking into this and maybe think back to when I was a kid. We used to like build clubhouses in the woods all the time, and I was like a big metal head too, So it's like, was it really satanic or was it just some kids in you know, uh, messing around with dark imagery and like into iron Maid and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: And so I really think it's there.
Speaker 4: Were a few murders with questionable people involved, and it was the nineteen eighties, so the the investigators just made of a satanic cult. One of them even claimed that he went undercover into one of their satanic rituals, but he said it was pretty much just like chanting and you know that sort of thing. We even had the cattle beat relations were like involved in this too.
Speaker 3: That was one of the last like.
Speaker 4: Animal related things they found in the nineteen eighties. I think it was like a dozen cows that were found dead just outside the Freetown State Forest, and of course they had no blood.
Speaker 5: Very common.
Speaker 2: It's a hodge podge of all sorts of things going on up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I said, that's I mean, there are big foot sightings, there are UFO sidings, and giant thunderbirds, and some of these things really have I mean, the thunderbird to me, I think is one of the easiest to kind of debunk and when you explain it, when I pitch my explanation for it, people who believe in it just kind of, you know, dismiss it out of hand. But we have a very large bird in this era called the blue heron, and it stands about I don't like the last time I saw when I was probably like three and a half feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty big.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, they're huge, and they just kind of like chill in the water and grab fish, like you know, they kind of that ambush type predator thing. And the last time I saw when someone's like, oh, there's a blue heron and I'm like where, and they pointed, like fifteen yards away from me, like I was almost on top of it. Yeah, and I was just like, oh my god, like I didn't see it. There they're just sit so still, and that I could just see someone out in the swamp that disturbs one that you didn't even see and it just flies up out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: And there right kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then your perception of how big they are all out of whack. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're gonna be scared and you're gonna be like, oh my god, they're like thirty feet bit, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's it's especially once you get the wingspan in there.
Speaker 4: It's I think that's just such an obvious source of that legend that I mean that I can't even really take with any grain of It's just it's just silly.
Speaker 2: Well, you know we I'm sure you you know the show. You know we are. So it's like we complain about how that ghosts are not a mystery ghost or an explanation. The mystery is what's causing the effects, right that you're calling it go so uh and here I think this bothers me even more when you attribute all these weird things to this geographical region. Is it a portal area, you know, is it it may be ultimately is it somebody writing it down? Because that but what what do you think? I mean, what do you think is going on here overall? Or is anything unusual going on there?
Speaker 3: I don't think anything unusual is going on at all.
Speaker 4: Like I am a fan of the show because I am very science minded person, and I just don't well, you know, the ghosting, the ghosts and the hauntings are you know, it's the same thing like every other haunting.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything unusual there. Like Dyton Rock.
Speaker 4: I mean that to me is an interesting part of it because yes, someone definitely carved something on that rock. What it is and who it is, that's really the interesting part of it. The UFOs I don't buy at all. And like I watched a there's a pretty solid documentary about the Bridgewater Triangle, but definitely from a believers standpoint. Yeah, And like some of the quotes from it were like, oh, these lights were moving. I mean they could have been planes or they could have been stars, but maybe not. Oh yeah, And then there was another guy that said, you know, these lights were moving around and then they turned into a plane and flew away.
Speaker 3: Yes, or it was a plane yeah, yeah. Yeah. Which is a really interesting thing is.
Speaker 4: We have Logan Airport, is the Boston airport that everybody knows about.
Speaker 3: There's one in Rhode Island called T. F. Green Now.
Speaker 2: Is that also known as Wolverine Airport?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, or or or Airport acts. Yeah, but there's a lot of small airports around here. Yeah, there's one in Plymouth.
Speaker 4: And so in the seventies, like late seventies, mid to late seventies was like when most of the UFO sidings were happening. And during that time, there was a Naval Air Force base in Weymouth. I mean there's air traffic out of there all the time. And I remember specifically as an experience of mine, I was in high school. Me and a bunch of friends friends were out in the woods on a Saturday night, reading from our math books like all respectable teenagers do out in the woods, and we were kind of like laying on this Traine bridge just staring up at the sky and my friends like the stars are moving and after a few minutes there were just there were little lights everywhere just moving around, and it took us a wild piece together. But that weekend, there was a air show at the air Force base and we were literally under a holding pattern.
Speaker 3: For these planes that we're trying to land.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's constantly lights in the sky that are moving around. Then it's just like if you don't really know about those airports and whatnot, it's very easy to just mistake them for.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like the Gulf Breeze UFO flap in the eighties was like it's literally across the bay from the Pensacola Air Station. I mean, yeah, amazingly they saw weird lights in the sky every night. But it's happening right now, the New Jersey drone flap. It's absolutely ridiculous. Like everybody who studies this stuff, it's like, hey, this is not only is this a really common phenomena of a flap, but everything the media is doing feeds into it, like absolutely feeds into it. It's it's completely avoidable, and like literally none of these people who who frigging know better are incentivized in any way to calm the situation, Like none of them are. The politicians are getting calls, so they're going to feed into it. The media is getting clicks, so they're going to feed into it. It literally happened in England at the heath Row area, Like was that twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. I like, it's this is not new. I mean it's it's a Battle of Los Angeles. It's it's it's all these things over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I hate It's true.
Speaker 2: I hate it so much.
Speaker 4: And my friends, my friends know that I'm a hard course, so you know, the second I walk in, they're like, I want to talk to you about the drowns and I'm like, oh, dear God, here we go, and and it's just leads to the most silly conversations where I'd be like you hear what you're saying, right, And I'm like, listen, I haven't had a lot of time to look into it.
Speaker 3: I've been really busy. It's the holidays. The only thing I have heard is that the FAA have loosened the restrictions about flying drones at night.
Speaker 4: And my buddy's like, oh, but you know, there's these plasmoids and I'm like what And he's like plasmoids and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, or the f FAA just loosen the like why are you jumping to someone?
Speaker 2: Why do people think there's stealth drones from other countries, but they've got lights on them, Like like, why would you put lights on a stealth drone? That doesn't even make it? Like, oh my gosh. Anyway, people are foolish, and people are easily fool the drones going to see Yeah, a good point, right, they're disguised, they're disguised. But I just I find that all very I do. I wonder though, I mean, like I this is a sort of existential question for us as a show. Honestly, it's like we can help people and we can point out the you know, explanations, we can point out how to train yourself to think critically about this stuff, but we can stop people from still continuing to do these things and report these things and to like find the least likely explanation and glum onto it. And it's it's so frustrating. It's hard. I want better of us.
Speaker 5: All people need to have a falsifying experience really thing about some skepticism themselves.
Speaker 4: That's the thing about the Bridge Wide Triangle is like I honestly believe that people don't want to think about it rationally. They want it to be real and they want the drones. They want the spooky story or a conspiracy or you know, giant thun.
Speaker 3: Their birds or rabid deaf dogs or whatever.
Speaker 4: They want that story to be real instead of just being like, well, hang on, like I mean, how big was the giant death dog?
Speaker 3: You know? Are we just talking a bowl mastiff?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And they just I honestly don't think they want it to be anything else.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, people want to believe. But I think we're gonna have to wrap things up here. And Andy, you're listener of the show, so you know where I'm going now. I want to wrap up with the final question because this is your first time on the show. What's your favorite monster?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 4: So I have been thinking about this since you guys invited me on the show, because I'm like, oh my god, they're going to ask me the question, and so then I've really been thinking about it, and I'm like, you know, I kind of what I base my whole company around is kind of you know, support local businesses, and you know, you know, local business and artists and musicians. So I gotta I gotta pick the local guy. You know, it's got to be a puckwadgie.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Oh, there we go kind of Yeah, I mean, I kind of feel like they are true New Englanders where some people think they're just pranksters and other people think they're evil. There's a reason why we call ourselves massholes. And you know, I just feel like it's a New Englander through.
Speaker 1: And through, nice, good choice and you know.
Speaker 2: He wants you, kre Ker. I think it's a here here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Andy, thanks so much for talking with us about this. We're gonna You've given us a lot to unpack. We're gonna we're gonna have to come back to some of these and dive a little deeper on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, thank you for having me. It was absolute pleasure. Monster.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You've been listening to a conversation with Andy Driscoll introducing the Hakamock or Bridgewater Triangle, a region of Massachusetts. Mystery. Is it especially mysterious or just the results of selection bias? Who can say, well, truthfully, probably us. But we'll be going deeper on that later. For now, we've put a pin in the map and we'll be digging in more in future episodes. Around the world people report monsters, but are they real? Join the Detective of the Impossible, Joe Nickel as he walks you through investigations to reveal often surprising natural explanations behind some of the most famous cryptids and legendary animals ever reported. Using scientific skepticism, meticulous fieldwork in historical deep dives, Joe Nichols seeks out hidden clues and real world candidates that sometimes reveal that even the most unlikely monster stories may have a basis in reality. The Science of Monsters is the first book from Monster House LLC, the publisher of science shows, Monster Talk and in research of The revised edition is now on sale and includes corrections and suggestions from you, our listeners and now readers. Sales of The Science of Monsters directly benefits Monster House and its podcasts thanks to the generosity of its author. Pick up The Revised Science of Monsters today at Amazon dot com, Available in paperback and kindle aditions. Unless You're Talks theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys and remember he wand you he want you Care Care.
Speaker 1: This has been a Monster House presentation