Speaker 1: It's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and carn S e O and JP Sorrow. He's a lapsed fan and all my years and wrestling.
Speaker 2: I never seen anything. And it's the laps Fan name by the one in the ring. Forget about Slado. He the real king of swing when the bell goes in and the kick like me throwing in the corner. But it's lash like stick.
Speaker 3: Even Jerry King can sake off the crowd nodded in.
Speaker 1: His head like it.
Speaker 2: Steve low Brown, would you get low down?
Speaker 4: Go even high up?
Speaker 2: Flipp you on your head?
Speaker 3: But you know cool driver, you speak more now and dragon spits fire give you more shock than when head treats higher drop a more truth than the con of sniper unless you would a coconut.
Speaker 2: Roddy Piper, Jack a JP.
Speaker 4: He like j Y d drop the cupcakes and gold.
Speaker 3: The brain Bob means the best podcast Frost start the close cloud.
Speaker 2: If you all been as a plassic a pose, laps Fan continues to have the best listeners in all of podcasting. M HM mail bag continues to fill at a rate Actually forget continues. The lapse Fan mail bag is filling at a rate here's four unknown. Yes, there's growth happening, there's significant needs being met, there's significant carrots being dangled. Yes, And the only thing that stands between I don't know you and damn nation is the co chairs deciding your worthiness. Indeed, and here we are once again as we turn to the mail bag in such a way Boss that I have you know at this point it's getting so ridiculous. I don't know if it's because you know, the Sports Podcast Award organization named a wrestling Podcast of the Year thanks in part to those great fans we referenced. I don't probably, probably because you're the folks advice just had to acknowledge that, you know, we're going to do unheard properly for the next season of Dark Side of the Ring. We've got to get your co chairs in studio. Yep. I don't know if it's live calls of things like the World Rumble and Elimination Chamber this year that we're also newsworthy and people just need the co chairs reactions. You know, if you hang on, if you hang on our reactions, then you tell me what the power dynamic is. And there's need, there's desire, There is no problem ah, I think that's all correct. I think that's a wise take on point, and so as as we have always made it a practice of doing, when things get a little too backed up in the mailroom, we take the time to tip our cap to the folks that make all this possible, that fuel the engine. It's like, it's like miracle on thirty fourth Street, it really is. They dump it right in the judge's desk there. I love that visual. That is essentially what it is. And we're fortunate that we have the smartest fans in podcasting. They send us the most hilarious, thoughtful, and sightful correspondences and oftentimes well written oftentimes, and it makes for very It makes for great audio in and of itself, and that's part of the virtuous circle we always talk about around here. Going on our eleventh year, if you can believe it, I'm starting to feel it, starting to feel it on our own right. It takes longer to recover, doesn't it. Just yeah, a little bit, a little bit. Definitely, there's some significant pain. And we do the pain because you make it worth it, and the second you don't make it worth it, the pain stops and you never hear from us again a while it continues to be worth it your co chairs take to the airwaves. And like I said, it's getting so crazy that we might have to start instituting a more regular clip of these feedback episodes because they're just too money. There's just too many iconic moments that have sprouted up organically organic phenomenon if you will, as oh yes, organic phenomenon as yodaful. We've touched on our recent conquests and so yeah, this mail bag contains feedback to the Twin Peaks journey under the cinemat and achievement if there ever was one behind the Patreon paywall, feedback to the aforementioned premium live events, feedback to our most recent event, WWF European Rampage again in Germany in nineteen ninety two, and my god, and people find things to say about that one I would hope so rumbles World War three so much to get to and keep them coming, folks, the lapsed fan at gmail dot com, and we'll continue to service the account as we see fit. And I don't even know where to start here. I mean, were going to start with the most recent stuff that we received in response to the forementioned Germany show. But there are some housekeeping matters that we ought to you take this time to address to folks. They definitely need to be reminded that pro wrestling teas and chop teas, oh yes, remain on fire, oh yes, and remain very active and as you might be plotting your own on the ground WrestleMania experience this year, wouldn't wouldn't hurt at all to fly the lapsed flag and let let folks know who do know that you get it that you're a fan. Listen, listen. There's no greater feeling. Okay, there is no great confirm than when you're in a strange place for the uh, you know, the Carne show of Carnie shows and you get that you're a fan and not that's it. That's all you need, That's all I need, right And it's fantastic. It is a fantastic thing. So especially especially since we're not going to be on the ground this year, that we need people to uh we need to share those. Take photos. If you weren't into each other, take photos, put them on the Twitter thing, email us. I want to see it. I want to see I want to see the solar system collide. Yes, in Las Vegas now more than ever, Now, more than ever, power of the solar system needs to be made manifest. And of course we're heading into WrestleMania ourselves, planning of course that premium live call in a way that we haven't done for years for WrestleMania. So a long time, yes, and a lot I mean since uh, I mean certainly since COVID. I think COVID was the first time. Well they did now, they did the they did the Cody seth rollins Mania. We weren't at where Cody came back. That was like three years ago. Wait, so that was definitely post COVID. Okay, all right, that would have been the one where Austin stun Vince one last time. Oh yeah, Oh that was in Texas, right, that was the yeah, because they went back to Texas for some fucking reason. Right the rest? Goddamn, is this the third time they bet? No, No, this is Vegas. I'm thinking of fucking New Orleans. Are they going to New Orleans again? Yeah, they're going to New Orleans next year. So stupid three years like time, they're really testing, like the the novelty of Mania when it's becoming very clear that it just goes to whoever pays top dollar, and look, all the power to them if that's the strategy that they're obliged to pursue as a publicly traded company. But I'm not obliged to enjoy it. I'm not obliged to feign enthusiasm. No, I'm good, right, that's right. I mean I'm in a Vegas plenty of times, folks. Yeah, yeah, that was kind of it. I mean, Vegas and Easter just kind of ohh, that's coming up more and more. I think people are starting to really put the pieces together, like, yeah, it's a tough ask, it's a tough ask, and come to find out, I think it was a I think Meltzer even said that they actually are going because it's Easter, and Vegas is paying them because it's typically such a slow weekend and that's why the money's on the table to attract them in the first place. Right. So you know, if there's one if there's one group of fans of something that you can count on to see, I can I can see uh, I can see a bunch of like you know, you know, uh, casino owners who are like they want to come you know that's fine. You know, they want to come, they want to come into Vegas grade. You know what we could do, Yeah, you know we could do you know what if we tell them to come went east and weekend, you know that weekend there's always so fucking bullshit, no ways here for that. We have to do it. Then, you know, then if they fucking fail, it's no big loss on us. You know, we didn't do anything wrong. Yes, it was a hobday weekend. If it's a big it's a big deal. You know, if it's a success, then we get a fucking you know, we get fucking people like you know, chugging the quarters down on fucking throats, see the vision? What is wrong with you? And then uh, they'll you think the talents kids will get Easter baskets delivered to their hotels. Oh, absolutely, like trips will see yeah yeah, yeah, be kind of you know, a bunch of Cadbury eggs all over the place. Well, you know they call it Cody Burry eggs, so they are well, we'll certainly be sated with Uh. Actually maybe they're burying Cody twos. That might actually be very it needs to be seen. They're certainly working on John Cena brother as we'll get to but yeah, we'll be sated with Pirogi and fucking uh kill Boss up by the time Night two rolls around. Absolutely, this is uh absolutely now more than ever a Patreon dot com slash, the lapsed fan, the way to justify existence, the way to uh get get plugged into the main line, if you will, the main line that cast, and of course add free versions of the main show such as this one available for your Patreon dollar as well. But this WrestleMania season, it is in fact the place to be, and they're ramping up Saturday Night's main events, which will be covering It's gonna be very very busy and in a very very good way. But again, uh, Pro Wrestling teas that the store is Choco Block. Uh there's a Twin Peaks show. Yeah, yeah, we got well, we've got a bunch of Twin Peaks shirts. Actually we've got well, there are two actually the bunch are too. They're the Lapsed Peaks shirt. And then there's also welcome to what we Do shirt on there, which is great with the Twin Peaks with actually, well for those of us, for those who have a keen eye, there are actually three peaks for Triple H Welcome to what we do. So there are three peaks. Actually there's also a brand new show fight as we go through the loose translations of what professional wrestling is from the the original German Last time we were with you and uh, the Lapse Academy of of of what of arts and science? Arts and sciences? Yes, the Lapse Academy of Arts and Sciences. So there's that and then love that one. You'll see that one on yours truly at some point absolutely is my prediction. And uh, then you know down hopefully you know they I'll say they haven't. It's it's weird that they haven't gotten back to us already. But there is a Bavarian Cream Yeah, you know, it was coming shirt. I'm just waiting for their approval. I can't imagine it wouldn't get approved, but there's there's nothing there that would. We've certainly done. Also, we've done more you know, uh you know on the nose, yeah, spoof shirts than that one. Yeah, this one is sort of less on the nose and more on the lip and chin of Auto Vans. A good point. The Barian Cream Auto Vance, which is in uh you know it's a it's a play on an old Dusty road shirt. Yeah. Yeah, there's an American Dream Dusty Road shirt with just something just like that. See, I was hoping for that, but I wasn't. I didn't remember one. I'm trying to, like think of a time he's worn an American Dream shirt to the to the ring, and I just couldn't think of it. I don't. I don't know if he ever wore to the ring, but this was one that popped up right away, that kind of same design. Yeah, yep, So that's that was That was so much fun to get into what it was like to be a German wrestling fan. Courtesy of Ben. Just another another proof point of what it is that we we bring uniquely to the table when we activate our collective power and put the collective ahead of the individual. You know, That's that's what we stand in testament to. And Lindsey Uh was quick to say, you know what, if this is, if this is going to be a show about UH German wrestling, we got to send hopefully can get this to you. We just simply have to send a link to this image, which I I find myself having a hard time disagreeing with boss. If you want to take a look, what are we seeing here? I mean it's it's it's uh, it's Hogan in his best October feesh gear. What was that from? That's from a I have no fucking ideas when he had because I've seen a hundred pictures of him. Yeah, I've seen him wear in the stupid outfit before too. It definitely looks like you know, early to mid nineties whole Cogan staring at Germany tour. I mean he looks like a perf. I mean he's also got his hands covering his crotch, like like, what are you doing there? Extremely questionable? Yeah, he's he's covering his brat, someone wrote. Someone wrote on Reddit leader Hogan. Someone wrote, we posted the show dust cast fucking straightforward and clear cost So yeah, pro Wrestling Teas dot Com cooking uh with takes on lines and inspirations from the most recent shows. It's just sprouting up like organic phenomenon. And we encourage you because actually that should probably be a shirt too. Thanks. Mean, I've been saying it enough for God's sakes. I think that's twice this episode, if not three times. But of course Dicky shot Tease has got your higher end apparel beyond T shirts. He's got your your hoodies and jackets and fanny packs and pants and hats, sweatmans, so much cool stuff. Yep, really elevating the game. Shout out to everybody who saw boss Man rock the Letterman jacket on Unhurt. That's right, And you know there's a funny there's a funny story there too, because it's it's just a little in the sleeves. It's a little snug, well in me in the studio too. I mean it's well, not only not only that, like, yeah, so it's a little Number one is a little snug on the arms and number two, you know, that was I don't know what was that our I guess was our second recording, but it was already hot in the studio by that point. And so as soon as and I and I was fortunate that I had kind of a bird's eye view of the monitors, so I could see what was actually you know, what camera was hot, right, and so I you know the moment that it was it was the two shot of Jack and Evan. I immediately started like taking this thing off because it was so fucking up. But I'm also trying to be like as quiet as possible, but it's not necessarily working that way, and the panic is setting in. Let's be honest. Yeah, the thing is, I was starting to feel very, very constricted. I could feel like I was I was definitely getting the claustrophobia, like I was never gonna be able to get his fucking jacket off of ever, and so I'm like freaking out. But fortunately he didn't get You know, the guy was smart enough. Oh he was good en us, smart enough. He fucking knew what he was doing. But he was he he knew enough to like say, oh, yeah, he's fucking struggling with the jacket. I'm gonna not go to him. Absolutely, yes, And that's not your burden to carry because that was a limited run. I'm not sure there are many left, but if there are, I'm sure you would wear them and much more a prop climbs then we found ourselves in. But we just couldn't let the opportunity pass to rock that that piece. I mean, that is just for sure that we need to get on that. I needed to get it on the on some kind of screen. So hit chop teas dot com as well, and check out our laps fan store on there for great gifts for the lapsed fan in your life. I can imagine why you'd be listening to this show just to get gift ideas for someone who does. But if folks reach out, you never know, maybe we're giving the idea to someone to give to somebody else. Whatever the case may be. You want to check that store out to support the podcast, of course, cameos Rocking, Boss Management, Dealing, Fielding, many strange requests out there, some of which have been complete home runs. You want to tell the people if we haven't told them already, I don't think we have. Some of the more recent adventures from cameo, Yeah, there was, Well, my favorite one was there was a an April Fool's joke that someone was going to play on their wife and they wanted to be a voicemail of Hulk Hogan, you know, basically saying that this guy's wife left his after credit card at one of the Hogan beat shops and just you know, basically go with it, Yes, and you know that's what happens. Why why is why? Brother? Why are you leaving a credit card my place? Dude? Like what's the deal with that brother? You know, and do the whole thing and then yelling at her, yelling at well, I mean, because you don't. You don't just do that, because you're not trying to send a secret signal exactly. There's definitely a problem, there's something wrong, something would be read into you. Oh god, it was glorious. It worked. I mean, it's great, it was. You couldn't tell if it was legit or if it wasn't. Sounds like something else I can something else I could mention, but Cameo dot com slash the laps fan, do engage the rogues gallery of lapsed characters for your and your friends and families enjoyment. Sometimes the till gets rather full, and we apologize if we can't get back to immediately. But do know we're trying to stay faithful to it and stay on top of it. But sometimes, bus there's just a burst of need on that thing. So it comes in such interesting waves. It does, it does. I'm always fascinated by how it all plays out. It's fascinating. And you want to talk about kind of like a virtuous circle, how we put it right back in to the cast. I mean Cameo is not just a place that you can get us, but Cameo is a place where we can get the carnies right and we can get them to weigh in and talk about things, and it's always great. Not only go ahead. I'm just saying, you know, because it's funny that we do that. I'm actually wondering at the point. You know, I know he probably gets God knows how many Kevin Nash gets on a regular basis. You know, he probably gets hundreds every day. But I do wonder if you know, we've I wonder how many ask questions like we do. And I wonder if you recognize I mean aways coming from me too, you know, it's I always send it from my from my like fan cameo account. It's what I do. So I wonder if you, like, you know, if he ever picks up on it, like, oh, there's the same fucking guy again. I don't know. I mean, yeah, it really is just function of how many come in. Yeah, right, Eventually, eventually someone will blow up our spot, because that's how people are. But I mean, I don't think it's blown up mainlys. I mean it's not like oh they don't care, No, they care, but if yeah, it's uh, I think we're not the only ones that do it too, Like it's just a it's a great way to get a question without having to deal with the actual person, right, And I'm sure they're happy to to pocket that money and take as long as they feel, like, you know, it's not like they're they're committing to sit down for two hours, you know, the easiest money they've ever made. They love it exactly and especially you know the last one and asking to get a kick out of it. Yeah, they actually enjoy it too. Yeah, you don't know until you know if the guy actually is game for the using cameo that way. Some have been like, I've never got a request like ever Demon Dudley during the Lapsed Funk he was no during a No. I don't think we engaged them for TNH. It was it was the one where during the CID Journey where we got to CID's easy w run and we're asking, like why Sid called Bubba Prima Donna one time on a shoot interview or something you know you could tell you like didn't read it before he hit record, and he like came upon this question. I love when they do that like it's so so funny, screeching hauled. Oh, it's so funny that they don't, you know, they just kind of like stumble on, Oh oh okay, uh okay, like you know, why don't you read it before you press record? Just for your own you know protection. But exactly, it's not only you know, a resource that you can engage us with. It's not only a resource that we can engage the wrestling community with, but the solar system writ large can engage folks on our behalf as well. You know, they're just like, oh, this would be fun. Let me let me throw this to the coach here see what uh gentleman Ax has to say. And one of the great one of the Hall of Fame contributors in that regard has been Zach And we most recently did an episode of course, on the nineteen eighty six WWF Slammy Awards and the wrestling album the music album the WWF for released in late nineteen eighty five, featuring all these wrestlers carrying on like a bunch of fools, and we noted in the what was it called the No No, No, No? What was the song, oh Land of one thousand Dances Land of a Thousand Dances music video. With all the w W wrestlers, we were trying to find people, you know that that were perhaps had books or had recollections of being on that shoot, and Tito Santana was one of them, but we didn't get in touch with him, but Zach reached out. Wasn't a huge loss. It wasn't a huge miss on our part, come to find out. Never is as Tito has a way of putting a postage damp on these if you catch my drift, but bless his heart, the former Intercontinental champion here courtesy of Zach and this is this is the magic, this is w W.
Speaker 5: E just finishing my workout and I've gotta get this in. Jack Brother, you asked me, or maybe your buddy Zach Roller.
Speaker 2: Dude, asking me to send it to you.
Speaker 5: Jack. You guys want to know about any recollections I have about the stories of filming the WWT record album in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, He's well.
Speaker 5: I had never done anything like that, and I the only way I could carry a tune is if somebody put it in a box and I carry it somewhere. I just know that I was not doing a good job, and we just kept doing it over and over and over, and I'm sure my voice was not coming across.
Speaker 2: Very nice, okay, but it was fun. I knew we were doing something different.
Speaker 5: I had no idea where we were headed, but it turned out to be a great album and the fans love.
Speaker 2: I don't know where you're headed.
Speaker 5: And many, many years later, people like you are still talking about it.
Speaker 2: Marks right, Oh my god, it's always this is w w E. Hall of Famer. I love to start every time. I mean it's like he's reading it. It's like he's reading, you know, like like his own introduction, you know, like but without with like awful glasses, you know, Yeah, this is w w E. Well, at least he does. He isn't one of the overchargers on the platform, So that's that's uh yeah, that's to his credit. Someone made a great suggestion. And at least he doesn't fucking spend spend like eight hours going around as fucking office with all of his memorabilia like steamboat. Yeah right, you get that, no matter the worst and that's not the best. But interestingly, someone had posted I thought it was it was a great idea. We should just have Tito on every show we do, even if he wasn't on it. Oh, that's a good idea. Just ask him about it, Just fucking say what did you think star K ninety one? Tito? Tell us your thoughts about uh, you know e CW heat Wave up my ass? Now, I do remember the show, but I looked it up and here's what I would say. Get a little too close to David Lynch there, But that's okay, We'll have plenty of time for that today. You say, you know, give him a random like Japanese show and say, what are his memories of that? What are memories of some like Kobashi Misawa match, what are your memories of uh Antonio and Oki and Billy Robinson in seventy six? Well, I really wasn't in the business yet. It's there to answer your question, ladies and gentlemen, Merce said, so lice, let's not forget Merce said, okay, Merce said, we're said at all there, Yes, but again, just another example the Germany show and Ben bringing the German to the table that cameo there from Zack. Just another example of things that wouldn't exist if this podcast didn't exist. You see what I'm saying, like, yes, it's it's not just all out there for the taking, and we happen to grab it. We we bring the alchemy and long made continue mm hm. And we do it with the support of folks like our friends at Titan Nutrition. If you're starting to look at that calendar, folks and you're starting to say, you know what, I really gotta really gotta dial in the physique here, It's not going to be too long before I'm going shirtless. You're hanging a baging brother exactly. And many different arenas and contexts. We've got the lapsed approved workout aid and health boosters for you. Our friends at Titan Nutrition proud sponsors of the show. We'd like to thank them. They offer a full line of expertly formulated nutritional products to help you achieve your health and fitness goals. Around this time of year, many people plan to get moving, work off some of the inches that may be accumulated on the cold months the rainy spring months as well. And a product that can help you nearly burn off excess calories but give you a metal boost you need to move your body as Titans Powdered Weight Lost formula and light powdered. Oh yeah, have you burpen all day? Brother, bourbon powder. Remember he said that on TNT when he was making a shake with Vince. Have your burpen powder all day? Okay, terry powder. This great tasting train increases your metabolic rate, folks. We're talking about Titans and Light, so you burn more calories both in the gym and at rest. And it also contains healthy fiber which is great for ut health and helps keep cravings away between meals. And while it has plenty of caffeine to substitute for your coffee in Light is also designed to help you focus, lifting your mood and productivity. Comes in six amazing flavors that can be easily mixed and taken on the go. So you can find all this at Titan nutrition dot net tita n. That's right, a company called Titan Nutrition landed from the sky into our inbox of all places and tight nutrition dot no surprises, No surprise there when you get over there in order and tell them we sent you by using the promo code lapse at checkout, and by doing that you're gonna get ten percent off of your purchase as well as free shipping again that's titannutrition dot Net with the discount code lapsed, and we thank them very much for their support. Yes, another box checked. We're rolling here, We're working hard. All right, Let's get to the mail bag. And this is this is Scott coming in recently with a great suggestion. Scott wants you to know, Boss that he's all four episodes of Lapsed characters going to breakfast diners and ordering food and the interactions with the staff, and the finale being Vader pulling up in the snow at every single time. I mean, yeah, it has to be Vader coming out and just like you know, just throwing shit. Oh it's mister Salis again. What would you like today? Hun? This is this is w w E Hall of Famer Tito Santana. I would like to order three scrambled eggs ops to Tato. I think it just has a side of breakfast potatoes. He would call him that, he would you know what else? You know what got our our Bob, our homie Bob. On the most recent episode, he writes, Bavarian cream. I nearly choked on my Sicilian sandwich on this holiday trip with lungs and spleen. He advises, I think rather wisely does Robert. You shouldn't eat and listen to TLF And by the way, the sandwich was awesome and goot our bite. Ben. He's not the first person to say that. Shout out to Ben, the Solar System member that did just heretofore unheard amount of research to assist the podcast and getting an episode across the line that we probably couldn't have approached without without him and his dedication. So I think that's really that's really a gold the gold star for the quarter. Yes, okay, yes, no, I don't hesitate to shine that one up. Nick has a great suggestion. He says, you know what, fuck that, get all these meats and cheeses on a board and call it a sharp shooter reboard. That is spectacular. So if we ever have a little get together with little Finger Meats, Boss, I think the sharp shootery board is at all, definitely, definitely a sharp shooter reboard. Fantastic. Well, it needs to be on there. I mean, what do you see, what do you what do you taste? I'm gonna say a lot of Canadian beef, well, Canadian soul. We have the best in the world, the best beef, and we got the best beef, like really, I mean, I'm sure it's delicious. I've never heard of it though, I know I've never heard of Canadian beef. I know there's a lot of cattle and ship and cowboys out there. You gotta stampedes after all, you know your Calgary Stampedes and ship. But yeah, now I don't know about this Canadian Canadian buff As we always want to do on these feedback shows. Tips of the cap to folks that have joined us anew or again on Patreon and are pledging their support to us in denominations. We gotta do the fundraising drive, folks. It's like NPR, you know, every now and then, every now and then, we've got to We've got to fight back existential threats. We've got to fight back people that lose sight of why it is that they sit on our every word and our every uh you know. Point of feedback and Heith Harshman, longtime supporter of the show. Great to see him back in the fold. Thank you very much for your pledge and we'll continue working our way down the list for you, Mike writes on Patreon, which is another reason, by the way, to Pledge. Just hilarious back and forth from Pledging members. It's absolutely amazing underneath the audio file of the latest offering from your co chairs, just such great insight. We can always count if we trip up and hit a point on a show where we're not sure about something, or something doesn't make sense, or we we make some stupid error, like what is it we called, Oh my god, la May we call it the outfit the clothing lame, a lame outfit instead of a La May outfit, which I've never honestly never heard of. I mean, might be a lame outfit, right, you know? And we said something of Pam. Uh for one of the albums the Theater of said Theater of Pain. We said Theater of Pam. Someone said that it's like an album about Bailey, you know, I'd like you remember we were talking about how the hell Carson Schaeffer could claim to have seen Triple H backstage at WrestleMania eleven in nineteen ninety five. Yeah, that makes no sense, Mike writes. Triple H may have been at WrestleMania eleven. He left WCW in January nineteen ninety five. His vignettes ran on WWFTV in April nineteen ninety five, which means they would have had to be filmed before then. That leaves open the possibility he was with the company in March of that year. A little not so fun trivia Triple H's first televised match are at April thirtieth, nineteen ninety five, defeating buck Zoomhoff. Oh that's a fucking ugh wow that is That's not a good trivia question. I'll tell you that. Not at all. Recently and under the cinnamat we went back to the covid era. Thanks we did. I tell people who you know might be listening to this on the main feed and are hipped utd of the cinemat yet, how it is you brilliantly pivoted off of that one of a kind David Lynch twin Peaks journey. What do we get ourselves into maybe a little lockdown scenario? I mean, yeah, you know, oftentimes I like to if I know we're going in a certain direction after you know, after if we're going, if we're doing some kind of a long journey we're doing like a big, big movie, I like to counterbalance it with something that is absolutely atrocious and is just some of the worst fucking cinema you could possibly imagine. And you know, it's it's not the nicest thing to say, but you're you're gonna be in luck with that when it comes to Kevin Nash, because a lot of his movies are just absolute garbage. And it's kind of funny because because he's got so many, like he's a kind of a fifty to fifty, you know, record in terms of you know, big, good, big movies and crappy small movies. It's really a fifty to fifty. So we've been able to confirm to the aforementioned Cano channels that he's very self aware about what movies he's done that are ship and which movies he's done aren't. Necessarily he's one of the best ones we've ever gotten, was him commenting for this episode on this movie. He called it, Yes, he called it a It was like being on a sophomore in high school student film COVID nineteen as COVID nineteen Invasion, sometimes called lockdown. But man, what a Sometimes sometimes it's just you got to go, you know, hey, you know you got to have We get to hurt too sometimes and I'm okay, with us, with putting us through that.
Speaker 1: He's a la fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the last fan. He's an elapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and.
Speaker 2: We were asking, we were wondering on the episode what what uh I s D stood for. We came upon some clips somewhere IDU was independent school district thanks to Austin, a Texan in his own right. I think it might have been in one of the stories. Yeah, that's a good that's a good one. It's his I s D often levy good. I s D is often levy property taxes and all non exempt property with I know what it was, right, the I s D. That was the That was because they were selling this school that the director of the film wanted to buy because they shot in there. They they well, yeah, yeah yeah, and he wanted to buy this building to make it a film studio. Amazing FU A lot more from that from that, what is it? Micah what Micah lyons? Michah lions the director. We get to know him quite well on the episode. But what's Marshall Texas, by the way, is part of what the ISD would be here? Right. In this case, he says, does Austin Marshall, Texas. The Marshall is SD would be in charge of purchasing and selling the building, So that would have been the aforementioned micah Lyons would have would have been talking to. But what is Marshall, Texas really known for? Austin ads Marshall was known for a long time as the patent capital of the US. Who knew. Wow, it's interesting by this, I mean it was where the majority of patent cases are tried, which led to patent trolls purposely trying cases in the US Eastern Texas District Court. Here's a good write up about it. He lynxius to w a BBC article with perhaps the key quote being Marshall became a haven for what's called patent trolls, companies that buy up old or vague patents as a means to file multiple lawsuits. That's a big fucking red, white and blue thumbs up right there. Wow, yep. Their goal was to squeeze money out of businesses that decide it's easier to pay a small settlement and make a case go away rather than fight it out with high priced lawyers. So what they're doing is fucking They're just buying patents that are out there that no one cares about and then trying to find, like trying to find a case out there that companies are violating a patent that wasn't even there is to begin with, but they now own. And it's just like it's just a scheme to get people to just cut you quick check. Is that whole area just about scamming people? Who knows? What the hell Marshall Texas? Why the hell Marshall Texas became ground zero for that? But I don't know, Probably not, because there's honest people everywhere around there. I mean, because you get the I mean, it's no different than the scam that Mike Lions is putting up palaw on people. In my opinion. It's not fact. It is my opinion, just my opinion. I'm just going to make sure that's clear. Absolutely. Pete, big shout out to you, thanks for joining the executive producer to here to enjoy the afrementioned under the cinemat and all the other benefits there too. We talked recently about fanfare for the common Man. Didn't we ayes We did plays during the aforementioned WAF European Rampage television broadcast as it aired in Germany, and Craig, along with several others, mentioned to us at the version A fanfare for the common Man on that wrestling show is a version done by Emerson Lake and Palmer, a legendary progressive rock band. That is the version that you hear on the on the broadcast. He attaches us to a link of them playing in nineteen ninety two, where but the Royal Albert Hall. Boss. That's right, that's the Royal Albert Hall in my home town a lot in England. MVP status fan Big Steve wants you to know that he needs that Bavarian cream shirt in the worst way. It's common, common in all ways you can imagine. So I'll listen. It's it's it's common. As soon as it gets approved, I might have to fucking email them and bug them and say where the fuck's my shirt?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 2: You may you may have remembered noting that Mike McGirk has a penchant for saying unhaling from Glenn Falls, New York. Yes, not hailing, unhaling or perhaps and haaling, and it sounds like unhaling. I mean that's a that's a I mean on hailing. That's how you have to say it, because it definitely sounds like un like gun, right, it definitely sounds like un I mean, you know, I could be wrong, but it sounds like un to me. And on that point, Paul on Patreon makes the brilliant point that Dugan might have been unhaling from Glenn's falls, but he and Schiky were certainly inhaling. In New Jersey, Bryce bar two, huge shout out to you, my friend, for bumping all the way up to the moat tier rarefied Air. We understand it's it's a high dollar value to pay, but it's our It's the rider die t here. It's the folks that are, like, you know, not just doing it because I get something out of it. It's not just about me, me me, me, me me me. I'm doing it because you deserve it, not just because what I get for it. But we do throw you the extra b of the one of a kind experience of getting on the living room carpet just like it used to be. Oh yeah, with mom in the background while you're watching wrestling. Mama sorrow, it's wrestle, Mamia. Why don't you tell them, boss, what awaits them if they can indeed afford to take that Motier plunge. Well, you know we've been on you know, it's it's certainly it's WrestleMania season. So right now there is a load of WrestleMania themed matches that we lined up for my mom to watch, or we I lined up for my mom to watch. One of the more recent ones was the the WrestleMania two thousand Hardcore Battle Royal. Yeah, you better watch that. You better watch that. Absolutely, that's a fiasco and a half. Yes it is. You know, got to get her confused, she enjoys. No, she had many questions. I'm sure many questions, and I'm sure you know it's been a while, but I I'm sure that it ended with her saying, I'm okay, if we never see something like that, which, of course, if she only knew better, that means we're definitely gonna see shit like that again yet duly noted. But usually by the time we get there, she's forgotten all about it. It's like starting over. Yeah, yeah, because you certainly look, I've seen you re explain the same set of rules within the same match. Call let alone across different yes, being able to remember across different different matches, so always always an absolute joy too. And coming up though, I'll say, I mean, yeah, it'll be, it'll be. Uh Hogan and Vince from nineteen from nineteen, God, what she must think of Vince being all bloodied and everything. Oh yeah, well it was. It was a trip. It was a fucking trip, for sure, Motor David noted on her call episode one thirty five of Sergeant Slaughter versus Pat Patterson from nineteen eighty one. At some point she says, quote, this is a bullfight, and David writes, Mama Sorrow is far more accurate than she intended to be. Could absolutely say that again, my friend.
Speaker 7: Oh God, as we think about the spirit of giving, Zach points out on Patreon, you know, I bet it's a safe bet that many TLF fans, he says, buy the co Chair's Christmas gifts before anyone else in their lives.
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking, thinking it through it, I'm like, you know what, He's right, because it has to be that way, yes, because we have to have those things secured before it even makes much sense to shop for those around you. But this is probably the earliest we've ever reminded folks, don't don't sleep on it. If you've got an idea, if you've got something that you think than belongs in the till for the next unwrapping, it's it's never too early, it's only just too late very often, get it, send it in and fucking put it on. You know, I got an area in my office right as pile shit up. Absolutely you do, and that's that's always always open to you if you want to be absolutely sure that whenever it is your CoA chairs, make time to salute the hearth as only we can. That you're part of the experience. It's the lapsed fan seven ten Main Street, South po Bucks one one nine Southbury, Connecticut zero six four eighty eight for your unwrappening needs. Charles writes to us, we were talking about Sean versus Savage and just how much was left on the table. They never had a program, you know, they really just wrestled a handful of matches. It's really quite sad. And someone else pointed out, I'll shout out the name in a moment. As we were fantas sizing about Savage versus Steve Austin In nineteen ninety eight and WWF, yes, do you know they did wrestle once in WSW No. Ninety five on Saturday Night. Oh wow, stunning Steve, long blonde hair, macho man, a relatively fresh in the company, and they mixed it up. So if you, if you're so inclined, you can find and see and sense the dynamic in ring dynamic between Savage and Austin. Now, this is hardly stone cold, the stone still stunning. Steve is still still phenomenal, phenomenal, It's just not the it's not the in ring clash of styles that I think you picture when you picture it in attitude. WWF. It's a different worker, it's different approach. If you're stunning Steve, he's bumping and feeding. I'm thinking of a baby face Austin that's got to fend off a psychotic Savage, you know, not a neon wearing, slim gym cracking babyface Savage, but macho man. Verse HBK was the subject of a lot of discussion in terms of how often it happened and when I think we ran down definitive listed of course, included matches on the nineteen ninety two Post Wrestling the eight European tour. Not only the Germany show we talked about last time we were with you, but the European show that it's say, I sorry the England show as well. But Charlie writes, hello co chairs, I was listening to your newest episode and my years perked up when I heard your reference. A match between Randy Savage and Shawn Michaels on July sixth, nineteen ninety three. I think that was the last one they did, had a TV taping in Wilkesburry, Pennsylvania, my hometown. I happen to have a personal connection to this match, even though I was still a little more than two years from being born at the time. While going through some old family photos a few years ago, I found a disposable camera photo of the macho man standing on the apron and what looked like a high school gym. After some digging on cage match, I determined that it must have been taken at the TV taping above mentioned Wilkes University Art Center. I assumed my uncle, a wrestling fan to the extent that any kid in the early eighties nineties, was rather monstev dragged my grandfather along and one of the two snapped the photo. I'd asked my uncle about it, but unfortunately no one has seen or heard from him in a few years. If you're curious, The w w returned to the March Center three more times, twice at night. Probably'd probably deny it happen anyway, you think, Yeah, you know once he wrestling. We didn't do that ship. I never going to see fake shit. You know, come here, sult me like that again. Hey, you know what, give here here, give me fuck shit. H Ever ever fucking say I watched watch fake shit again, I didn't. I didn't say you watched fake ship. I said you watch this man. But there it is. Look at that. Imagine finding that one. That's a beautiful, that blue pole, Randy and Sherry up on the apron. That's wild. And to not even you know, for it to not be yours, but to find it in your house and to have to decode like where in your family history it's from. If you're curious, he writes, The deputy return to the mart Center three more times twice in nineteen ninety four. Another Superstars taping and house show not a wrestling challenge shaping in nineteen ninety five. Most of the matches are what you'd expect from a seat here town, like Will Sperry Quang versus Jim Powers a main event anywhere in the world. Absolutely, though a Blaze Nakano title match cut my eye. I never would have ben I would love it. I would love it if like Quang versus Jim Power's main event in somehow show oh my, like one of those dark matches on and in your house after they go off the air. Yeah, right, and that's your fucking main event. Like people are gone before that fucking Quang. People are gone before they before the bell rings ough to begin. Last time I said Kwang was when I was trying to mouth the sounds of Ken SHAMROCK's entrance thing. It's neither here nor there. I may have went anywhere in the world. I never would have imagined bull Knock and O of all people he writes to have ever set foot in my dumpy little town. Apologies for the end solicited history lesson, but it's not every day I hear my hometown mentioned on my favorite podcast. Thanks for reading, and hope you get a kick out of the photo. Well, indeed, we did. We love those personal mementos. You know that fans have a unique little story about that they can share with us, and that's a good one. And you can see the wear on the photo, little white dots where it's kind of been chipped away at I'd so many of those because you know, you brought shitty cameras to wrestling shows you just did, and there were shadowy shots from far away from the ring and still, you know, why do you think you think you're you're getting ah, you think you know, like you're taking like sports magazine worthy. Yes, you do photos like you think you're going to get actual action shots, you know, like you want to get like I try to get shots if someone jumping off the top rope and they're in mid air and it's like they're just a blurry fucking mess, always a mess. It's always always pitch black in the background. Yeah, yeah, yep, they're always like doing something not athletic when you when you happen to snap the photo. But when you're looking through the lens, man, it's not like a you know, it's not like a camera phone where you essentially see the picture you're going to get right on your screen before you capture it. You don't know how the lighting is going to react. You don't know what you're going to end up with. You you'd like to think you're going to end up with a facsimile of what the naked eye can see in the arena and what you can see to the viewfinder of the old school camera. But my god, is there so many other hoops to jump through inside the technology before it spits out to the final the final proof, if you will. And that was always nerve wracking, you know, going to the pharmacy and getting those photo printouts, because it's going to be worth it, or it's going to He never knew, you never knew, just way too much headroom in every shot, pretending you were front row even though you were, you know, in the lower bowl, zooming in like crazy, which only focks the picture up more yep yep, Bez writes to us, Jack wondered if Brett ever won another singles match with the elbow drop, as we noted with interest that he beats the Mount Tea with the elbow off the middle rope. No, sorry, Dino, by the reason I said Mount, You'll see in a second. Bez wants us to know, as many other shout out to everybody that pointed this out to us that Brett did in fact win on the November thirtieth, nineteen ninety one Madison Square Gardenhouse Show when he pinned the Mounty with that same elbow. Wow, so he was in his elbow as a finisher phase. I guess so, pase big shout out to you for joining the eptor my friend, we want to thank you very much, Joe writes the German TLF fan. Not that he needs my validation or that he'll let even know, but it has to be said. Holy smokes to the German fellow. That's Ben who helped with the last two episodes. Guy is fan of the Year, Joe writes early odds on Favorite and its description of needing to do the research once he began. Just again, bravo and add a boy to that. Guy just dropped obligated to say something considering the time and effort dude put into it all the best. You guys truly are the best college podcast around. I agree. Are there college podcast awards we can enter too? Oh? We really should we should just enter them. Wait wait a minute, how old are you guys? You guys in college? How do you guys consider yourself a college pop baller? Fans say it, listeners say, we're a college podcast all the time. So who are we to question? Well, well, what college are you? Guys? Affiliated with your mom? Your mom's university? Yeah? Why am you what? Yeah? We're we are we go to ym you. What's what's why am you your mom's university? I'll tell you one thing. I want to want to roll in Tom's backyard wrestling Federation. Here's what he remembers. Back in the late nineties, My friends and I had a backyard wrestling federation, and one of our factions was the condiments. We took red, yellow, green, white, and blue book socks and wore them as lugit door masks and had ketchup as a wrestler, mustard as a wrestler, relish mayonnaise, and blue cheese, which was I thought, fucking idiots, he said, seriously, it's the dumbest shit ever ketchup versus mayonnaise and a fight to the death. Brandon collared, Holler at you, boy, and thanks for that ep level tier, my friend. We appreciate the cake and the vote of confidence, Adam says, of course, Nash booked himself to go over COVID clean. Yeah, fucking you know, shit, I'm fucking a fucking yeah now paying me enough the fucking job to a disease. You're talking about covers, cover songs and the art of the cover. Oh yes, oh yes on the episode because the director had had done some covers and we sampled those. Williams says, Mad World was a great cover. But be careful summoning Donnie Darko around those. I know he kind of wants it to happen just so he can say that it's done and never has to think about it ever again. I do, I do want to just get it done. William liked Donnie Darko at the time, and Darko and Chill served me very well for a time. Yeah, I'm sure. Did I see that with you Donny dark Out? Now? Yeah? Good? Oh? I good to help people that don't know, it's just a fucking it's just a you know, it's just it's a film school. It's a film student movie. You know, it's that. It's that especially of our generation, like you know, you didn't you didn't live, you weren't really a film student unless you loved Donnie dark You saw it. You had to love it, right, you love it? You had to fucking love Donnie Darko and I saw it at the Coolidge Corner Theater. It's a good start and I loathed it clothed, but it qualifies, and so I feel like we need to suffer through it Darko and Schille. He says, But the emo cult that sprung up around it is awful. Yeah, I wonder how much of Emo came from that. I mean, I'm sure it was was before then, because I mean, Donny Darko came out like while we were in college, right, but it's like two thousand and two or something, But it's uh yeah, I mean, but it definitely again it it just again. It's one of those movies. It's one of those movies that you just if you're a film student, you had to love. You weren't allowed to not love it. And I didn't, So I guess I was never really a film student. Yeah, that's my takeaway. Austin's back with more Smoke on the on the COVID movie, which is shot in Texas, is mentioned by Texas guy. Uh. He says, first of all, on the cover front, Johnny cash is hurt is another cover that is completely different than the original. I agree, and it's a wonderful one. So one of the more memorable packages they ever did was hurt to Eddie Guerrero after he passed away. That's a really I've watched that one a million times. It's a really touching matching of song to to visuals. There, he says the recurring theme great musicians can reinterpret great song successfully. Average musicians should refrain from giving us quote unquote their version. Yeah, I would endorse that. Yeah, yeah, well again, Yeah. What it really comes down to is two things is the is the artist good enough to uh to cover the song? Are they worthy enough to cover the song? And does it fit within there that that artist particular style without you know, is it a good innovation of the song? That's what really counts, right, and you know, if it's then you shouldn't do it. We spent a lot of time trying to piece together just what was the financing behind this film, like why did anybody find it necessary to make? What was the deal with the director and his history? And eventually we landed on it's probably like a Bible adjacent enterprise and new when sure enough, when we sat down to watch the COVID nineteen movie COVID nineteen Invasion. There's like a gratuitous Bible scene right in the middle of it, where guy's reading the Bible in bed, and it's like focused. It's a very subtle way of kind of making it all about God, which doesn't disqualify anything. It's just you can very easily be fooled into thinking that, like this was financed because someone thought it was going to be a terrific action movie, but actually it's sort of a trojan horse for some of that messaging to get out there. It always is. Yeah, and I think the Preston would Baptist Church factored in quite a bit, didn't it. Yes, Yes, that's what I mean. That's the presumption. We don't know for sure. Perception rights, it's the not all the dots connected, but a lot of the dots were aiming towards that that direction. And Austin says, I grew up minutes away from that church and knew many kids that went to their high school. My favorite nickname used around town for their very large worship hall was six Flags over Jesus. It is definitely in the vein of churches. The creators of the righteous Gemstones would have had in mind, and he says, growing up in Texas, I can spot a televangelist altright grifter when I see one, and our boy fits that vibe to a t with his with his perspective on the things, Steve the homie out in Ireland. We were talking about how wrestling in Germany was called catch and how you know, yes, catch up and catching and all that. Yes, Steve says that his supervisor and work is French and also refers to wrestling as z catch, yes, the catch ze catch, as well as being very dismaded in how many French Canadians work or worked in WW as they are Yankees with shit French. That's exactly shit, nothing more European than using shit as an adjective. You know, it's shit, oh shit. And he also says that Bruce Pritchard's in his podcast there's definitely something more personal to Randy never coming back to w B. Well, we can speculate on that all day, but that's of course the that's of course a subject of discussion on that episode as well. When discussing what could have been with Randy and Austin, Randy and Sean, you know in these programs that we never got to taste. Big reminder that whenever you want to support the co chairs but you might not be interested in a Patreon subscription, you can always throw a little digital tip our way, as so many great members of the Solar System have over the years. Just type the lapsed fan at gmail dot com into your PayPal and you can leave us a little at a boy, just like Michael did. Just drop this on lines and thanks for all you do, and it was just it was just lovely. It's lovely to get those little boosts some folks that want to let you know that there that they appreciate what you do. Jorome also backs up that Bretthart used the elbow drop as a bee finisher because he's seen footage of him beating Moundie with it at MSG, and he says the episode that we did were, of course Shawn Michael shines with Sherry in his corner against Randy Savage, which led to the second straight episode of US going off on how incredible Sherry was and how much how pathetic it is if you don't realize that you know, or how sad of a state of affairs, it is if she's kind of forgotten, which I'm kind of afraid she is kind of a little bit. Yeah, I mean he's definitely not. She doesn't she's not on the on the Mount Rushmore, she's not on the pave the way, blah blah blah. Speech that the women's evolution era and all that they don't talk about her enough at all. Really, and Jerome writes, I think rather preciently, this episode really illuminates just how lucky both Shawn Michael's and Triple H were at having the right women in their careers. Yeah, no shit, Sherry, he says, was a huge part of hbka's early presentation. And China definitely boosted Hunter and ninety seven. And Stephanie was the final piece in Hunter getting into being seen as a true main eventor Yep, that's absolutely true. They have well, Triple H has Mick Foley, China and Stephanie to think for where he is yep, ye without them, he is not anywhere close to where he is in my personal opinion. Matthew writes to us he's loving this episode the Germany one as a fan from England who got his first taste of WCW weekly in the mid nineties from an unexpected source when cable TV first came New Yorkshire and one of the channels on offer, bizarrely it was a German sports channel called DSF. My ITV Region I TV is independent television there in the UK never showed WCW in the early nineties, so I'd missed out on that. Then one day, flipping through the cable channels in nineteen ninety five, I found it WCW. I quickly worked out the timeslots and never looked back. Like JP, I had been deprived of the Hogan Hey days as my fandom started in nineteen ninety one two, So while WCW audiences were pushing against Holkamania, I was happy to be finally getting to see a Hulk run on a weekly basis. So you can imagine how annoying it was for me when he turned heel By or around the time of the turn, TNTUK had picked up Nitro, so I no longer had to rely on DSF for WCW programming. It is a real nostalgie trip for me, though, remembering having to navigate a wrestling product in a different language. I kept the VHS tapes for years of events I had got from DSF uncensored ninety five, Starkad ninety five, Clash of the Champions thirty two, Super Brawl six and others. It wasn't until the UK got the WW network in twenty fifteen that I finally got to watch these events with English commentary. Imagine that you have these shows and it's an in language you don't speak, and you still watch it. That says something about pro wrestling right there. Yep, yep, you gotta still watch it, and without the interview segments being dubbed over. You think some WCW storylines were hard to follow at times, try following them with the commentator speaking a language you don't understand. Ah. Later I managed to get WW from DSF two, which is great because I didn't have Sky Sports, but I could pick up raw and the pay per views from DSF for a while. So for this English wrestling fan, this background in German wrestling on TV has more significance than you think. Thank you well, Thank you pal Glad to provide the service and Glad Ben Soffitt to put in all the work that he did. It's I'm just fascinated we talked about it, like the whole idea of what these wrestlers were doing in the Hasbro era and the Glube era. Yeah. Yeah, Well we were just kids in America and that was the extent of our visibility into this thing. And these guys are going to Japan, they're going to England, they're going to Germany, they're going to Italy, and they're only going there. They're all over television in those countries and it's like the fucking biggest event wrestling fans in those countries had ever seen. They're flocking to it. Yeah, and we had no fucking clue back on Home Turf. It's just, I know, it is it's I mean, I know you kind of kept things a little quiet because you didn't want to. You know, you could kind of get away with doing stuff overseas that you didn't need to explain on American TV. But it is a shame they never really kind of talked about it and celebrated more of the overseas stuff. Yeah, it was kind of there's sort of such a lag back then. It's like, we talked about this because you were presenting the matches as they aired from the Germany shows on primetime. Yes, and it's not like they shied away from saying it was in Germany when they aired them. But we're talking months and months later, and also scattered about not on the same show, not even some on regular TV, some on Cossum Video, right, So it's by that point it's like kind of weird to make a big hullabaloo over a show that's now three four months old. You know, it's kind of like just matches presented from many different locations. That was just what the way they chose to present it. I think they were sort of bashful about the fact that some of them are so stale, and some of these matches, yeah, weren't necessarily fresh in that way. It's a fan.
Speaker 1: Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Jpro.
Speaker 2: We talked about how Papa Shanko came to the ring on that episode with a smoking skull, and Philip puts it beautifully. He says, you have opened my eyes stone cold. Steve Austin truly was the second coming of Papa Shanka. I don't think we spent enough time talking about that. Yes, yes, I mean listen, he's the two smoking skulls. You know, Papa Shango the second coming of Stone Steve Austin, and you know, uh uh Steve Austin the first the second. Well, it's like coming up, Papa Shanko. I agree ya first, I mean double second. Second there it's amazing that it's really amazing that that Stone Cold Steve Austin is at the at the very least the third coming of Stone Cold Steve Austin. That's funny. That's the best part.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm always like thinking, like, what if we ever got ten minutes with this wrestler, what's the one most lapsed question? We could ask them, you know, And for Steve Austin, it probably would be like, do you because Papa Shango came to the ring first with the smoking skull, do you think he was the first coming of Stone Cold Steve Austin? You no, no, you got to do it. So Steve, here's the thing. So we're just curious. So do you think because the Warlord was a bald wrestler with a goatee who wore black trunks, that he was the first coming of Stone? Calls ee of Austin. And before you answer that one, do you think because Papa Shank came down and he was bald with a smoking skull, that he was the second coming of Stone GOLs dv Austin and you were the third. I love what you said. And before you answer that one, that was money, it's how do you feel about that? How do you feel that you're not the original? Stone calls Divasus r I fucking question right there. We talked on the episode about a European rampage for the Commodore sixty four. Yes, oh, yes, the PC gaming system back then, one of those RAREBIA releases that weren't on a regular gaming console. Phil wants us to know that he had wwa European RAMPI wow on my Commodore sixty four. It was ridiculously shit. The C sixty four version was one on one rather than tag teams, but the roster was the same, with just one of the tag teams available to be your opponent, and the choices were odd. Typhoon from the Natural Disasters. You could play as irs for money Ink Jerry Sacksual Nasty Boys an animal from the Legion of Doom doesn't sound like much all thought was put into the that's awful playability part of it, That's dreadful. Neil has come to an interesting realization after the episode. A decade of TLF has taught me one unshakable lesson. Unless Brett Hart is committing adultery against Julie Sex is not nearly as good. And he also asks, is Brett Heart the David Hasselhoff of wrestling? The Berlin wall goes down and it all changes for these two guys. It's it's you know, it seems like it. You know, I think I think Brett and David Hasselhoff should do a tour of Germany together. I mean over in Germany. It's a thing and they had it's similar, it's similar, and that like there's this like completely inexplicable popularity in Germany when they were on television and equal measure and a whole lot of other European countries as well, but Germany was the one that saw this, this particular look, this particular body, this do you know what I mean? This particular essence is very appealing. So yes, ridiculous breettheart. A lot of things have been said about Brett and all of them true, but the David Hasselhoff of wrestling. I think we and Neil brought that one uniquely to the table, and I like the sounds of it. Carlo wants us to know that unt as we were talking about, means and schlogen, which we heard a hundred times, means to hit or to strike. So it makes sense you'd hear that on a wrestling call, and whiter equals further Okay, so und whiter schlogen means to continue beating. Wow, going to zip tide one guy while he busts open the other guy. Whiter schlogen. Okay. We were learning here slow, but surely we appreciate it. To keep that one going. Und I love und is one of my face maybe my favorite German word. And it's just yeah, it's it's it's so unmistakably because because like especially when you when you when you kind of just uh uh, you know, throw it in regular uh language. It's like you say, here are the natural disasters, earthquake, ound typhoon and big shout out to to the uh to the homie who goes by that piece of shithole Cogan on Patreon. Yeah, he says that the title of this show, The Germany show sounds like it was created by Bill Mercer. Rest in Peace, By the way, Rest in Peace? Did you did you think about making a call? I was like, you know, well, I didn't even know until someone. I forget how I found out. I think maybe even you it was like it was weird. It wasn't a call. He might have deserved a call. I don't know. It's hard to tell. It's hard. Yeah, it's hard. There were ones. Here's the thing. There are ones where it's there's no dispute. You know, you absolutely it's a call like when Dusty died, like or when Roddy Piper died, or when Gene Okerlan died. I mean you have to call on those guys. Mercer, I mean probably should have been a call, but yeah, it wasn't. The call is more there goes your childhood. It's not there goes someone that we learned to appreciate thirty years after he did he did his thing. You know, it's like we grew up on world class. Then then then it's a call. Yeah, you know, so I think that was kind of where I came down on it. But but interesting, him and China are the edge cases. Like do we call on China? You know? Yeah, yeah, we didn't. I feel yeah, I mean And also China died in the middle of us doing something. We were doing something that can be a factor too, like what circumstance do we find ourselves in the moment we hear? Right, but yeah, that's something for the Moat Tier. We do try to share is when we do get get our act together and do the call, we try to record them now and share them exclusively with the Moat Tiers. There's some there's word of us sharing deaths. I remember one of the fans said, I found out about the last three wrestling desks from LAPS fans Patreon before use. That's how LAPS some of our listeners are that they're not glued to Twitter all day. They are not, which is a wonderful thing. And if you know, also, my dad will, my dad will. If he crosses my dad's path, he'll always send me an email or a text, yeah saying I sang my condolences. He can. He gave me condolences on Sydney, didn't he? Uh No, I think I told him about Sydney, but he gave me condolences on Like Paul bearer. Okay, sure, it's so funny, but I think he gave it. I think what was funny about it was that he gave it to me like months later. It's like it just kind of came across his feed right months after it actually happened. He writes, the title of the show sounds like it was created by Bill Mercer, WWF German European Christmas Star Wars, Cotton Bowld, David Carrie, Chris Mike's Suicide Rampage again nineteen ninety two. It's about this about it, Joe writes to us. There is a tie place local to me, and I'm a creature of habit, so I ordered the same garlic chicken saute. There are some days where it's just good, but then there are other days. There are other days, as David Lynch knows, right, yep, when the meal elevates to something better, and I'm always chasing that perfect saute when I order That's right. Isn't that the truth? It's the absolute truth. As we talked about, you know, David Lynch and his meditations on the perfect chocolate milkshake and slice of cherry pie and these things that you think are just these quirky things, he says, But the universe is in what he's saying. Yes, it really is, I mean he because you can all relate to that. Everyone can relate to. That is no matter where you go, no matter even if it's even if it's a fast food place, like even if you go to dunkin Donuts, like this is what I said my example. Well, get ready, Pap, Pap has got one on that right here there, there is a perfect you know. It's like I know when I've had a perfect dunkin Donuts coffee. I know that flavor. I know exactly what it is. I don't know why it is the way that it is and why it's so hard to land on right, but it's like it's it's you never know, you never know, he says, Pap does. Duncan is either giving you the best coffee you've ever had in your life or something that's barely drinkable, and there's no in between, and it's about a zero point zero five percent shot of you getting the best coffee. And it's always worth the gamble. Yes, that's the key. Yes, that's what David Lynch teaches us, that it's still worth it. You have to keep trying. That's what you have to do. You have to keep trying. I still try. I try for the perfect milkshake, you know, the kind, the kind that makes you come after right. I love ejaculation, love it. The feeling of coming is the greatest. Yeah, it's funny, David. I think you have a lot of company in that respect. Not one of your more controversial statements. Oh God, bless the man. God bless the man. Lots more to come. He is now firmly ensconced and lapsed care. I don't think an area show is going to go by where we're not going to hear from him a little bit. And that's a testament to the work boss Man brought to us on the Twin Peaks Cinemat journey. Still find myself when I all of a sudden stumble upon some empty space in my day, which is very rare, I'm like, should I put blue velvet on? Do I dare? I know? I know I'm gonna do it eventually, I don't know when. Because of the Twin Peaks Journey under the Cinemat, I'm going to do it. I'm still I'm I'm mustering up the courage to do a lost highway, just to fucking oh yeah, just to get that uh, just to just just to put context in that fucking horrifying Robert Blake scene, to totally that that scene is still man, it's still with me, it's still with me. Just just the idea that that that there's somebody who's you're talking to you, right in front of you, who's also at your house. It's horrifying. Oh yeah, Well, what was the other one? Egg? What was it? What was the other David Lynch movie? We'll get to it. Someone had written to us about how people like walked out of the theater in the movie, or or he heard from his parents that people walked out of the movie theater because it was so incorrigible. So Lynch, so Lynchy. Yeah, Zach writes, to the point about observing the small things is, you know what, there is something sobering to know if you truly observe your own life, you will only get the best version of your favorite things a handful of times if you're lucky. Ain't that the truth? Yep? Ain't that the truth that I mean? That's that's what we chase, Yes, and that's life. That's not an indictment on anyone's character. That's that's not a flaw, that's a feature. That's that's life is chasing that, because if you're gonna chase that, then you're just you're just twistling in the wind, right, I mean, you know you you want That's what That's what always makes certain things so special is that you do you want to keep You want to keep going back to You want to think you have something that you can look forward to, right, but really you're just hoping that it's the same thing you remember, and so rarely is it. But it serves to confirm that when it landed, it landed man, because I would I would rather have had those three perfect cups of coffee and chase it for the rest of my life that have never had those cups of coffee. Yep, I agreed. You know what I'm saying. It anchors you, It gives you, gives you like, all right, Well, if the chips fall a certain way, this could be another one of those perfect days. And we only have a handful of those two where everything's in rhythm. You never get bored, but you never get over over busy. You take advantage of the of a beautiful day. You know what I mean. You're with people you love. It's that those rhythms are tough to catch, man. You had to catch those waves, and and you've got to try to make that day happen again the next day. Yep. And it probably won't, but you gotta have that. You got to have that that true north that you're going towards. It's got to come from within you. You can't be looking for it to other people, you know. So yeah, David Lynch, I guess that is what I'm trying to say. Hmmm. Marty f thank you very much for your pledge, my friend. Welcome into the higher tiers of the solar system Patreon community. We should hope you enjoy the benefits you're afforded. Nathan Bennett, thank you very much for your pledge, my friend. That piece of shit, Hulkogan writes again, MTV reminds me of that local mall that was hopping twenty to thirty years ago, but now it's just a barren wasteland filled with novelty stores. You've been in the mall lately, My god, what's happening out there now?
Speaker 5: We?
Speaker 2: I mean, uh, it's a blood bath it's a blood bath. Yeah, nothing is sacred. There's you know, it's kind of funny. I don't know the mall situation. I've noticed you've either got great mall, a great mall, or you've got an absolutely awful mall. That's just that's it. On the verge of death. Everyone used to be able to have a local mall that was of a certain caliber, you know, in your area, not necessarily in your town or in your city, but right within driving distance, magnificant mall of significant vitality. And now there is one in your state. Yeah, two, two or three one. You know, you've got a couple. It just yeah, you've got a couple here and there, and the other ones are just hollowed out forever twenty ones that have been converted into like ballpit play places that that are the size of your fucking garage. And the rest of people just like walking around like aimlessly, aimlessly. There's nothing to buy, there's nothing going on. Everything they have is already on their fucking doorstep anyway, everything they want rather is already on their porch waiting to be opened. Just walking down. He's just like a lost souls. Yes, that's where there's so little good. As you know, we're trying to point it out. We're trying to put you up on game, folks. Empty fucking just empty storefront. It's just faded retailers, cornerstone retailers, the ones you thought that would fight through anything like you just look at the seers now and you want to cry. You know, I'll tell you. I'll tell you what. There's a mall nearby, and I'll tell you. You know it's bad. You know it's bad when the movie theater goes out of business. Oh, and that's what happened, And now you're sitting on a future top golf I would say, right. You know, usually movie theaters are the are the things that keep malls alive these days because at least there's the movie theater. But when the movie theater closes, you stop and realize no one fucking gives a shit, no one, no one cares at all. Nobody is safe, that's right. Yeah, Oh, isn't that right? No one is safe from Kim Wood either, Oh not at all. He's a fucking beast. Take Tickled Pink to see how that one landed over on unheard Oh yeah. As we got into the four plus hour interview that the former Cincinnati Bengals strength coach and adviser to Brian Pellman during the height of his manipulative abilities pitting Vince and Eric against each other in ninety five and the contract negotiations, the thing reality challenge, the things he fucking should, the truths that he laid bare and wasn't afraid to speak to those cameras h Fixed Sports. I want everyone to know and listener, land, I had no idea that boss Man had the chamber loaded like that. No clue hit him again, Fixed Sports hit him again, Fix Sports, Reality challenged. They're all whores, he said. The boys in wrestling are reality challenged. Oh God, camera with the most pregnant pause you've ever not heard, I guess un Oh And as the homie Tom writes, what an incredible episode. Definitely the best dark sid unheard yet. And that's saying something one thing I thought might be worth noting, especially given the Solar Systems familiarity and veneration of Terry funk. I think the Funkster was ribbing Pillman with this chain yourself to the goalpost idea at the Super Bowl m Because metal detectors started being used to security for the Super Bowl in nineteen ninety one for the Gulf War, and we're very much in place in nineteen ninety six with the Cowboys Steeler's Super Bowl in Phoenix, which if you don't remember, is where Terry Funk claimed to have proposed to Brian Pillman that he get in there and chain himself to the goalposts during the Super Bowl and the ultimate publicity stunt, and they wouldn't be able to remove him for thirty minutes, so the TV cameras wouldn't be able to ignore him, and he'd be a legend as a result. And that was when he's doing a loose cannon gammick where he was out there just trying to do anything he could to get fired basically from WCW. That was the idea in his head. Pillman Tom Writs wouldn't have gotten close to the game, let alone the field. He either would have been barred entry or arrested outside the stadium. Might have still helped this loose cannon persona with the wrestling fans, but wouldn't have been a blip on the radar of the general public, especially back then. My guess Funk maybe had gotten a little tired of Pillman's I can work anyone routine interesting hmmm, which I'm sure it's spilled backstage, and was hoping to give him a little come up, and its a reminder of who the real best worker in the business was, or I am totally off in funk didn't know there were mental detectors at the stadium and honestly thought Pillman could get away with that. However, given what we know about Terry's relationship to Mick and how many times he playfully quote unquote ribbed his best friend in the business, I think there might have been a little glint in Terry's eye as he laid out this plan to Pilman, imagining him getting put in the paddy wagon well before the game. Whatever the real story is, here's to kim Wood a good reminder that if real con men ever got into pro wrestling, the Carneyes wouldn't have a chance. Fink sports Ye, that fucking fired down. We've been telling you, We've been telling you for years. Kim Wood knows. Kim Wood doesn't have the uh ah, kim Wood's just a fucking general. He doesn't have the appearances to keep up that prevent him from saying things like that, noticing things like that, it's money, so fucking angry, so angry that it's No, it's money. No, it's a fucking a fucking line. It's money. You know what, Kim your god, damn right, it's money. Speak that truth. And like I said in the episode, if you're in the business and you hear him and you like roll your eyes, don't be madd he's talking about you. Don't be madd He's talking about you. Ye, Scott wants us to know. On Nomeo and Juliet, Oh my god, signed up and it's going way back in the under of the Cinemat argall shit, that's the well, that is the uh. The most recent Hulk Hogan movie is Yes, as We did. Hulk Hogan's entire filmography available to you in the Under the Cinemat archives for your executive producer to your pledge at Patreon. He says, my kids are in bed and I'm watching this fucking movie by myself, just to hear the co chairs commented, that's something to see. Oh man tlf my apologies. Geno writes the cast that has me yelling Farina in my room like a psychopath. Oh Lee Morris, thank you very much for the pledge. We appreciate it, my friends. Okay, So j W finally getting into the more ones. Okay, talk about Roger Moore in incredible James Bond Journey that's available for your Patreon dollar as well under the cinemat and he's finally getting into the Roger Moore at once. He says he's been putting it off but cannot wait to drop the knowledge he obtains on Roger Moore on my eighty three year old mom. Oh boy, miss Midge older, he writes in the Chairman, and thus was old enough that was able to take me to three of these Roger Moore ones. At least one was preschool era or kindergarten half days, all at an inappropriate age. She loved Roger Moore. We sat Mattine's Month's replays at the Cheap Theater. The matinees were enjoyed after ice cream at the Woolworth's Food Kiosk at Westland Mall, Burlington, Iowa. I wish I had more specifics, but I was like six years old. My brother had several versions of a cool Lotus submarine car merch, but he didn't get this special Bond movie viewing treatment. I had a matchbox James Bond Harvercraft. Ooh, it's easy to see how Octopus's red spandex clad army segued seamlessly into my love of pro wrestling, perhaps even explains my inexplicable love of red speedoclad Heel Paul Orndorf for White cheered in late August eighty six at the rosemonta Rizin versus Hogan for my eighth birthday. I was offered anything else but shows fake fighting as a birthday present. That tape is lost, but I assume the Toronto Big Event match is very similar. I haven't seen the more Bonds in forty plus years, but I've haunted by the clown Double oh six getting killed ever since. Oh god, yeah, so just no your efforts, Boss, put that back on the table for him forty years later. Love it. That's to Paul Lantau, thanks for that increase in pledge. My friend is small, but we noticed it and we appreciated it. Sachster, thank you very much for your pledge. Welcome in Nick ossipoff on time fan getting back into the queue. We appreciate that. Andrew. Huge shout out to Andrew Dear's co chairman. I want to let you know that I am registered and running the New York City Marathon for charity. And he has exclusively listened to TLF on his long runs, and he says that both of you have fueled my performance hundreds of miles put in thousands more to go. Thank you both. I think speak for both of us, boss when we say go get that fucking shit to go fucking do it? You know what I mean? Yep, that's why it's worth it, because we're in your ears when you're doing things that are actually useful. When I hear about video podcasting, I've probably been in this rant before. Yeah, it's like, who wants the listener that sits there and looks at the video all day? I know, don't you want the listener who's actually engaged in something else, like productive? They probably have money, not to say that's the only reason you want a listener. Bless the listeners that are broke can still dive into our ship. We love that too, Yep. But I just don't understand what what advertisers see in video versus audio. To me, it's like audio is I mean good with just pure audio that means they're serious people most likely, or maybe not. I don't know, especially because you know and and I mean two things number one, you know, and and and and and listen. I mean, I think I think it worked a little bit better for Unheard because we had the video footage of the interviews. But it's it's generally not interesting, like because normally it's just like, I don't know, it's just like a weird conversation. It's not done in a in a it's just an interview usually or just a discussion. And I don't know, I just don't find it interesting to see. I'm surprised so some of the people insist on it, you know, yeah, because they really do. I mean, we saw that we did audio only for first season if Unheard, and every other fucking social comment was where's the video? I need the video, need the video? Give them the video, and they're like, oh, fuck, these guys, where they that's the best part. I love it? Oh my god, yeah, it goes what one of them then, one of the most recent ones, just fucking I love this ship. A guy says, uh, better if we just showed the clips or something like that. Oh yeah, he said, Uh, this would be farm. This is three days ago. Three This would be far much more interesting and watchable if it was just the kim Woods footage. These these three quote hosts unquote are unnecessary and unbearable, unnecessary and unbearable. That there's our epitaph right there. I'll tell you what exactly on the headstone. Listen. I I thrive on being unnecessary and unbearable. That's right, And the coffers and the coffers say it pays to be such right. But now when you hear that, it's like, yeah, I kind of I know where you're coming from, because when I see someone's face, all think about is their fucking face. And then you get into this incredibly shallow, like you know, experience where it's like paying attention. I'll tell you this too. You wouldn't get you wouldn't get the the I just we couldn't. I couldn't do it for that long. What the fuck are you serious? Exhausting six hours of video? That's impossible.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It is exhausting. It's a very very it's an exhausting experience. It's a whole different level because you got to be on like beyond you're using, you're burning calories. You know, you're burning, you're using muscles you don't use when you're just talking, because you're just constantly aware of what you're saying, what you look like, and where you're facing. It's just such a it's such a vapid thing. It's so fucking like, you know, can't we can't we make space for something other than constantly being on camera all the time right in this American life. I I just yeah, for me, I just don't. I don't. I don't, I don't. I never watch video podcasts because unless I'm I'm using it for research, I just I don't care. And I sure hope a lot of this, like YouTube is the discovery think pieces YouTube. I hope people aren't confusing people using YouTube in their cars and just listening to the audio even though the video is technically playing or playing a YouTube video in their laptop while they cubbuts around the house and they can hear it, but the video is technically playing. I sure hope they don't confuse that for signals that video is the way to go when the only reason it's on videos because it's easy to find something on YouTube. That's the reason. That doesn't cause videos in, although advertisers want video to be in because you can charge more for a video ad than an audio ad. But that's just that's the same thing as audio. It's just they're using YouTube, so you assume it's a video view and it's not. Most people, a lot of people I think that use YouTube to access podcasts just hook it up to the car or put it in, put it in the ears, and they're listening to it just like they would listening to it on an audio only platform like Spotify, which also has video now too, of course. But I don't know. I just it's it's kind of a weird. It's kind of a weird thing that people insist on. It's it's curious. And I'll and I will say, having done all the research for these unheard episodes, having read through all the transcripts and selected the bites myself, you do not want a podcast where these guys and gals are just talking for three hours of raw footage. You don't want it. It sucks. It's like you need curation. Curation. There are moments of inspiration, there are moments when they say things in a crystallized way that that that that sit in the mind that's the best part, is I I I would love to see the comments from these same people watching the uncut ship. Oh they have no idea. God, well, wont editing. Maybe maybe a little bit of editing. Maybe maybe someone give me some context. We did that, so you give you what? You gave you what you wanted. He said, no, no, you don't want that problem. It turns out when people say they know what they want, they're completely fullish. People don't know shit. We know what you want, and you're not don't know what they want. What did we say once upon a time, You're not gonna get get what you want. You're gonna get what we want. Thank you, Oh will Baber, thank you very much for your pledge. He gets it. He put that cake on the table. We love it, Morgan writes, while upgrade to the moat tier might have to be temporary, before going back to the EP tier, I could no longer deny what I needed. Mama sorrow is a national treasure, he says, Yes, thank you for the memories, thank you for the inspiration, and thank you for wrestling Mammy, and well, thank you, thank you for the vote of confidence, even for my dad. Just like oh, he's dumbfounded. Is he dumbfounded? Yep, because because all all the stuff that like drives him crazy is all the stuff that everybody loves. That's so funny. Yeah, it's so funny. There's an audience for the things that make you want to crawl into a hole and die. Of course. Amazing, so amazing. Yeah, Well, short bursts, you know, that's the thing that's you know, you can't overstay, you're welcome, you can't over play your hand, and things that are just so endearing in a person can become their absolute worst qualities if you just spam people with it, like get the fuck out of here, you know. But now if you deliver it a nice controlled release, baby, yeah, that's the ticket. That's the ticket, and that's what we specialize in. So Neil had some great insight into MTV and the WWF. We talked about, of course, the marriage of these two organizations when we cover the nine eighty six Slammies, which was the final WWF broadcast on MTV until they came back years and years and years later for Sunday Night Heat. But it was the end of that relationship that so catapulted the WWF into a different Stratosphere the worst out of the score in the Rock and Wrestling Connection, Neil has a nice little piece on what it all meant and what MTV meant at the time. Hello co chairs. During your coverage of the inaugural Islammy Awards, you both expressed confusion over the end of the working relationship between MTV and the w during wrestling's nineteen eighties boom over the course of many over the course of many years. I you know, I still you know. Whenever I play that, I think about the fact that what you said is from a random piece of video from a nineteen ninety one Yes news piece about Twin Peaks, and in fact, that guy saying huh, like where is he? And I want to know who he is. I want to find him. I wanted him to know that he is immortalized. Now. That was a Minnesota radio station where they were taking calls from people who were anticipating the season finale. Yeah, yeah, and they're talking about like this guy would have Twin Peaks hour in the morning. He just talk about Twin Peaks for like an hour or two. And this guy just water cooler talk in the Twin Cities. Over the course of many years, I've worked on various music history projects, and there is admittedly very little spoken about wrestling and MTV. However, there is a large enough body of work surrounding the channel's history, and I think we can piece together what led the we to be broadcast on MTV, as well as how those same factors precipitated their exit from the network. Excellent. This is all admittedly speculative, but it represents my best guess after working with the available interviews, contemporaneous articles, and written histories across from multiple projects. Throughout its existence, MTV has been a land of contradictions that were never resolved to anyone's satisfaction. Chief among them was their relationship with music videos. Music videos were the lifeblood of the channel. They gave MTV a style and an identity that would tracked its earliest audience. The speed at which everything came to the viewer on MTV was otherworldly, and the deluge of artfully edited images and sounds would extend past videos by Prince and Madonna and permeate the interstitial segments, promos and interviews. The same time, videos presented the largest existential threat to the viability of the channel Throughout its history. When it was launched in nineteen eighty one, MTV's programming department came from rock radio. From its inception, the guiding philosophy of the channel was that it would be the equivalent of televised FM radio station. Of a televised FM radio station emanating from New York City with its staff plugged into the city's vibrant taste making music scene and co opt it to become trendsetters themselves. They would be able to see the latest acts in music firsthand, anticipate the next breakout stars before they made it big, and provide a unique audio visual presentation that was foreign to music to music fans in the early nineteen eighties. I've spoken with a lot of people who were around for the launch of MTV, and they described the surreal feeling of seeing acts that they could only visualize through pictures and magazines coming to life before them. I don't think we can appreciate how earth shattering that transition was for the first generation yeah to watch music videos unless we were there to witness it. It's useful to think of MTV in those early years as being similar to Ted Turner's TVs. Turner felt that the world would fall in love with the culture of Atlanta, and that if TBS reflected that way of life, that outsiders would also be smitten by the charms of their city. In the same spirit as Turner, If MTV could bring the New York City music scene in nightlife to a wider audience, they would have accomplished their goal as the country's first musical and national music out However, since MTV modeled itself at their NETSM radio station, they were going to bring radio problems with them to television. Every audience survey conducted by MTV showed an unnerving reality that when viewers hit three or four music videos that they didn't care for, they would change the channel and usually not return for an extended period. This is a common challenge in radio and why arbitron ratings are measured. As a listener tuning in for five minutes during a fifteen minute interval, radio stations expect you to frequently turn the dial. It's a challenge built into the medium, and programming directors have devised a variety of well worn tricks over the years to keep their audience listening, whether it's a call in contest, an interview, with a music star or ad free music blocks. However, those tactics only work if you are competing against other radio shows. Maybe your station has the challenge of retaining its audience for more than a few minutes, but so does everyone else and down and down the dial. MTV's competition didn't have those problems. They were up against all manner of television game shows, sitcoms, network dramas, local news, sports, et cetera. Shows people were going to tune into longer than five or six minutes. MTV tried to package videos in unique ways over the years that were similar to the programming tactics of radio stations, guest celebrity vjays, specialty genre blocks, contests, etc. But none of them met with more than a limited amount of success. Music videos defined MTV, but they were also their biggest obstacle. It cannot be overstated that what a frustrating problem audience retention was for MTV, and in its early days, most acutely, the channel's advertising department was dismayed by the prospect of selling a grab bag of shorts listed as quote, music videos unquote, and TV guide with audience viewership habits that were that were that unpredictable. Perhaps advertisers could buy into the broader concepts behind them TV, but where were the shows? Where was the stability? Growing up, I was a big Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, and even though it never got the kind of ratings that the big network dramas and comedies enjoyed, advertisers were impressed and how loyal its audience was. Through cast shakeups, network changes, and controversial creative decisions to directions, Buffy consistently drew sevens and eights in the Nielsens. Between four and six million viewers watched the show religiously every week, and we're not easily dissuaded from tuning in next week. While networks love big ratings, they love predictability even more because it gives you a lot of goodwill with potential sponsors when you can deliver a clearly defined and consistent audience. And it's why we're in this situation we're in now where Nielsen's tried and true method, as Neil talks about, of not trying to give a show credit for people that come in and out, or at least not trying to lose people that come in and out, you know, kind of giving an average of a fifteen minute quarter hour to account for the fact that people switch around a lot. Now we're in a situation we're streaming. All they want to say is just a viewer number, accumulative view number, and no one knows what that means. I mean, they kind of do, but they don't know how Netflix precisely goes about it, or how Max goes about it, or how Hulu goes about it. Is it a view if you hit play on a tablet? Is it a view? If you hit pause and hit play again? Is it a view? If your screen buffers and reconnects. Is it a view if you stop, go to the kitchen, and then hit resume when you come back from the home screen. It seems to be. It seems like all these things are counted as views, and it matters if it doesn't matter if you change the channel. It kind of matters what happens, what your IP address records you doing on the device throughout the course of the thing, and then suddenly you're one person and your five views. And the Nielsen system that he's describing was designed to guard against that, so you didn't have a situation where one person was being double triple quadruple counted for coming in and out, and you guarded against that by the fifteen minute average. You guarded against also the possibility that six people are in the room watching the show, and you shouldn't get credit for just one viewer, you should get credit for six. That's why there's the panel style research approach where people fill out the arbitron rating sheets and literally agree to be measured households that are statistically significant for the area and have the demographic makeup where you could say this household is representative and we can extrapolate from there how many people of a similar constitution were watching the show at this time as well. It's that convoluted because the alternative is just to say this person watched. It's like, oh, yeah, did he really? Because I'm paying a lot of money for this ad, you're telling me he watched. I have no idea if he got to my ad or not, So how am I supposed to pay you? Here we are, though, right back to before all these innovations and all the currency of this marketplace was established, and everyone's taking advantage of it, right, and no one wants to let Nielsen under the hood on streaming they don't want to do it. They don't give a fuck they need to. Just you pay, you pay what we tell you it costs. That's how it's working right now. No third party to verify if people are actually watching or not. We need we need a Hey, I might just shed the magic word. Get me in there. All third party the shit out of them. Absolutely absolutely. I love third party as a verb. I love it. It'll probably take a it'll probably take an Act of Congress. Literally, I wish they fucking would. I don't know why they don't, but I wish they fucking would. I mean, I think it's it's important. I mean, you know, it's in many ways they the streaming. It's out of control with with I mean, I only speak from my own experience because of the fact that that streaming shows make give me way less money than shows on actual television. And intuitively, you know that actual television is declining medium, that millions and millions less people have cable every year, and that streaming is where it's at, and that's where all the eyeballs are in the next wave demographically that's coming through. Like we got to figure this out. Like it doesn't make any sense that you're getting paid more and from a declining medium than one that has all the upside on it. Right, But it's because it's exactly what you're saying, is the fact that there's not an objective party looking at it. It's all internal and they release whatever numbers they want to release. And they also you know, like, well, you know, yes, you know, we had this us this show had fifteen billion views over its first few weeks. But you know it's you know, it's relative because it's you know, it's not really fifteen billion views, because that's just you know, these are the things that happens. So we really you can't get paid like you think you should, right exactly fifteen because fIF because here's the thing, fifteen billion views isn't fifteen trillion views. Maybe we get to fifteen trillion, we can talk business, but right now, these are just the things that you know, of a delicate nature. And advertisers are to blame too, because if they would just say, nope, no money for you, Amazon Prime until you give us the full transparency and meant it, if Netflix ads business can get off the ground. Until they insisted on that level of transparency they were accustomed to they'd eventually release the numbers because the wouldn't want to pass up that money. They're all doing an ad play now, they're all inserting programmatic in there. It's all AD supported now to some in some tiers, but now just oh well, I feel my feels like we're hip if I'm on a streaming if I'm in streaming inventory, so you tell me, you name your price so that i can feel like I'm doing my job because I'm on Hulu even though I have no fucking idea if anyone even saw the ad, no fucking clue. They'll spit me out a report that says someone saw the ad, but they're greating their own homework all day, which is one. It's one thing when it's like a you know, fucking banner ad for a twelve dollars toy from China. You know, it's one thing to let Facebook tell you how many people saw it. But when we're talking like NFL football games, you're not gonna give me a break Fox. We need the full breakdown and the public needs to be able to access it then exactly, you know you gotta pay Nielsen to get the full granularity on the on the tail I'm not saying that, but it needs to be generally circulated. How many people are watching these shows? If you are not to defraud the advertiser, you know, and therefore defraud the public in a way. You know, it's like you're inflating the cost of advertising so much that like only people that are selling the absolute premium products can afford it. It says, who, Well, how do we know that many people are watching it? You know, it's it's a weird deal we're in anyway, continue, where was the here?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay? MTV needed the same level of audience stability. Unfortunately, when they launched the channel, it was with a skeletal budget. The music videos were paid for by the labels and given MTV at no charge. The arrangement was identical to how radio stations received promotional copies of new records. Why would MTV need a production budget when the labels shouldered the bulk of the expense. Uh. Nevertheless, MTV needed ratings and last and fast to keep the their ship afloat in the in their early years. Additionally, it had to be with programming that and that an outside production company would pay for and be willing to sell to the channel at minimal cost. It would help if that programming originated from New York City to reflect the channel's tightly honed image in presenting to their audience the city's nightlife. If they could get a critically acclaimed pop star with origins in the NYC club scene, like say Cydney Lauper, it would be even closer in keeping with MTV's image. More than anything else, it had to be the programming. It had to be programming with a loyal, built in audience who could be counted on to find MTV on the dial and stay there for an extended period, something that could calm the sponsors who already had one foot out the door on the MTV experiment. For MTV, the World's entertainment was uniquely suited to tick all these books very interesting well, I don't dispute the involvement of Dave Wolf in helping to broker this arrangement. It appears from all available evidence that it was fueled by MTV's desperation for cheap, original content more than their enthusiasm to pro wrestling. We saw a version of this story play out when SmackDown started on UPN and nine. Paramount was running a critically reviled and commercially disappointing second tier startup network, and desperately needed a show that could penetrate ratings, generate penetrate brother, generate ratings with a consistent audience. The we swooped in gave it to them. Even though the arrangement helped both ww and MTV, it was cattle. It was catalyzed by MTV's vulnerabilities in creating original programming. If MTV had if MTB ever found itself doing well, things would get complicated. While Wendy Richter and the The Fabulous Mullah were wrestling on MTV in nineteen eighty four, something incredible was happening. For a brief but sustain time, music videos caught fire. Michael Jackson, Madonna, Duran Duran, Bruce Springsteen, Prince George, Michael Van Helen, and many others put out videos that year which the youth of America ate up. This led to an avalanche of new revenue from advertisers and record viewership. When viacomfirst announced their purchase of MTV in late nineteen eighty five from Warner MX, they were impressed enough by the network's popularity in that revenue in eighty four to give MTV a larger operating budget and a mandate to create original programming for the network in house. The artists who set nineteen eighty four on fire wouldn't have new music for a while, and the continued popularity of videos could not be guaranteed past that landmark year. We need content, that's right. Amidst the success was the palpable threat that hung in the air that MTV would regress back to their pre eighty four slump if a new generation of acts didn't resonate as well with their audience. With all these factors at the forefront of conversations at the network, it was time for MTV to create their own shows and play a bigger hand in controlling their destiny. The nineteen eighty six Slammys landed at an awkward time for the rock and Wrestling connection. MTV was on our new ownership and with a robust budget to create new programming slated to launch nineteen eighty seven. While it's not clear what Viacom thought of thee being on MTV, it was apparent that the channel would not be in the we's debt going forward. Yes, this is still a window at eighty six where original ww programming and benefit will benefit the network. But Vince McMahon is very much a dead man walking on this broadcast. I don't know if he can sense the winds changing, but there is a palpable desperation on the slammis broadcast to do anything to impress a channel that ones needed him very badly, but was now on the cusp of bigger things, not a position Vince ever likes to end up in. So I'm always the bigger man. I should buy MTV. I made MTV. I made MTV. I made MTV into an entertainment conglomerate. That's your question, pal, what do you think the M stands for McMahon McMahon Television. Yeah, I can actually see like some regional broadcaster called McMahon Television. They are, oh yeah, for sure, twelve NBC affiliates and Greater Lexington, Kentucky McMahon and Television Corporation. That's pretty funny. Well, yeah, great stuff, Neil, Thanks very much for that essay. That's very insightful and gets us a little closer to understanding why the WWFMTV relationship went up and down so quickly. It just flamed right out, and I can confirm that trying to get some color from an MTV people on why it ended is not easy. Okay, folks don't necessarily want to talk about being reliant on WWF or why it stopped working. I think so. I think folks would rather talk about other things in their career than how they had to ride the WWF tiger for a couple of years to stay relevant. Christian a long time bad rock of the Lapsed Fan Solar System. Day one motherfucker has a wonderful proposal. He calls it Boss the Lapsed Fan Summer Pilgrimage. Oh boy, go chairs. As the summer approaches on ten years of Lapsed, I'm reflecting on how we are loyal Congregation of the Church of Lapsed can pay o much to the greatest award winning college podcast in the industry. We tithe, we give testimony, we offer praise in worship through the Lapsed jukebox. We even proselytize to wayward souls lost in the wilderness of modern www bullshit. We tell the stories, we sing the songs. We give of ourselves not because we expect a just reward and the hereafter, because we know we will get our just serving of pain right here on this land we call Earth. Yes, the Lapsed Fan, like the Mighty Army of Jericho and no Nut, Chris has openly served your hearts of zeal and zealous minds. We've beaten down the doors where people have attempted to walk us out. We've evacuated the Mongols and moondogs two and like the Christian Emperor Constantine, we've carried the banner of lapsed, which proudly reads in this sign conquer m. This is why I'm coming to you with a way for us to take it one step further, to be as our Muslim brothers and sisters are true to the faith. I submit to you the annual Lapsed Summer Pilgrimage. Throughout the summer, every lapsed fan, if able, will visit at least one site of historical significance to the era when it used to be better. There are many meccas and many city civic centers as well, and so I propose we create a list of the definitive lapsed UNESCO World Pro Wrestling Heritage sites.
Speaker 8: Boss.
Speaker 2: That's the notion you heard it here. First. The rules are simple. Each member of the solar system may travel to at least one venue or location throughout the summer. Take a picture of the place and report back on Twitter. At the end of summer, a list will be made of the lapsed Genesco World Pro Wrestling Heritage sites, forever marking the top locations representing why it used to be better. Guidelines One no building venue from the twenty tens e g. Anything built a renovated prier to two thousand and nine. Two must have at least one significant moment in wrestling history. Three can't include locations. Can include locations where studio wrestling or house shows were filmed slash took place, for example w R Alan Raleigh, the studio Allentown, PA. If it's still standing, et cetera. While we went we went yep in the Fairal House now Intown. It's still there and it's a great example of what you're talking about. Christian for a wrestling nay forty we stopped by Hamburgen Ringers roosts for a a blt oh. Four must include a selfie no stock photo and the sense of nasty sensation as well. And four must include a selfie no stock photos. So in the words of the late Pete Rose. How about it, Christian. I love the idea. I love it for a lot of reasons. One because you can trust the labs fan solar system to find the cations that no one else would find significance in. That's one thing. Yeah, we're not just talking about taking a picture of Madison Square Garden here, although that certainly belongs. I would actually urge you to get into the concourse and find the whole Cogan exhibit, right boss, or maybe even the gym, the Jim Londo's one. Yeah, Yeah, that's what I would. I would say, you know, find the wrestling photos in the picture like wall of fame that circles around the main concourse. That's what I would do. Great idea. Love it. Or if you can get on the suite level and find the picture of Hogan and mister t and Liberaci, yes, great one. Go take a picture of the hotel in Minneapolis where the Minneapolis Boxing and Wrestling Club is headquartered and where the lady answered the phone wrestling office as depicted in nineteen seventy four as the wrestler, And we're vern fucking cut deals and cut checks and book talent and collected his percentage. Let's see these places, Let's know what they look like. Let's find a I think there's a statue of Bruno in Pittsburgh or a plaque somewhere where you used to live. Got to see that. You're all over the place, if you're within the sound of our voice. We know the geographic diversity of the listenership, not only across the United States but across the world. Is Steve in Ireland not going to go find the dano O Mahony statue for us? I think he is. I think he is. I think it's a fair ask who can find the Easter ragg picture of the chic and Fenway Park? I challenge you, it's there. Can you find it? I know where it is. Let's fucking go. I love the idea, Christian. It's a wonderful idea, and it's wonderful not only because it's brilliant, but because we are the only podcast with a listenership capable of executing on us in the way it needs to be executed upon. And so we're not even bashful about broadcasting to the world the notion the second you put it on the table, and long may you share the credit? So love the idea. Let it be the summer of Laps in your travels. If you find your place vacationing somewhere where any wrestling history took place, find a way the homie Blake. He sent us pictures of the Von Eric's grave site dabllas. You know what I mean. These are things that I never would have laid eyes on if not for enterprising members of the Solar System showing us, leading us to water, so to speak, so we can drink. So love the idea and let it be a summer of lapsed and let it long made continue. You can't find the Silver Dome anymore, unfortunately, although I know it's probably there's probably some vestige of it left. Yeah. Yeah, Chris, long standing, rock solid member of the Solar System rights drafting a legal document and literally had to specifically distinguish between tax forms filed for traditional employees and independent contractors. Your motors needed a refresher. Your motor, this motor he's talking about himself, needed a refresher on the mechanics. So what did he consult as an obvious source of truth on the matter. Kevin Nash Shoot interview. Yes, that's Laps, absolutely that's lapsed. Michael writes to us, I discovered your podcast several years ago while searching for something to listen to at work. Since then, I went along every Journey mains a w A World Class starcade. About a year ago, I finally broke down and about a lapsed fan shirt from Pro Wrestling Tease, wearing it at least once a week while out in about I hope someone will recognize it and maybe say you a fan, But sadly that has yet to happen. Still hoping that day will come. After listening to the Wrestling with Shadows episode I wanted more, I was saddened to see the Beyond the Mat episode locked by a paywall. I think we eventually put that in the main feed, didn't we? I think we hit I think that's a uh no, I don't think so, because it's still kind of newish. Maybe we put maybe we put half of it on. Maybe I'm thinking of Paradise Alley. Then me put Paradise Alley up. It was part of the lapsed funk. We did surface some use the lips funk. It happened. We did be on the mat in the midst of the laps funk correct correct, So yeah, yeah, that's maybe that'll find its way one day, maybe a little matriculate, because that's one of those one of those bedrock ones that after they've been on the Patreon shell for a while, it's time to let the people. Uh, it's like throwing the steak down the down the basement stairs to the docks down there. I'm a cheap bastard, he writes. That's okay, but I finally grew a pair of grapefruits and decided to pay my dues. So twenty dollars. It is bingo, but it's well worth every penny, and you guys deserve all of it. Thanks for all you do, Long Live Lapsed Michael. Thank you very much for the email and for the support, and we're very grateful that you saw us fit to put some cake on the table. Put some cake on the table. You're not as cheap as you thought you were, Buddy Bruno. I want to thank you very much for upping that pledge. I appreciate it. Yeah, sure, Ali, thank you, he writes. Why is the concept of loading something i e. A boot, a glove or a purse so funny?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Because I mean, can you help us with this, boss. I mean, I mean, just think about the idea that it's loaded. Is it nachos, baked potato? I mean, what are you putting in a boot that makes it loaded? You know? Are you are you feeling it with cement? Is it loaded with like the purses have a brick in them? Usually? Right? But like why is the is you know, the loaded the Haliburton briefcase. You know, as there's the idea of loading something and the fact that I mean, I guess what really makes it even funnier is that it's as it's it's still easy to pick up no matter how loaded it is and swing it full speed, you know, right, you know, you can still just toss it like a like a like a pebble and name something even though it's loaded. Name something you could toss like a pebble that would hurt more if it hit someone in the head than if you just had this right. I mean, if you think about it, it's like, okay, if you're gonna if you get to actually load something so that it hurts somebody more, you have to put a lot of shit in to make it and to make it really heavy, not just a little It's funny. A thin film strip of steel in the in the mask, you know, to add to that head button, right right, hilarious, It is funny. Loaded boots are fucking hilarious. Loaded. Give me a loaded full of shit, is what it is. Load. Yeah, Actually a lot of these guys get loaded after the shows. We said earlier and at the credit here goes to Josh. Josh is the one that linked us up to the Austin versus Savage WCW match. So I wanted to throw appreci his way. Appreac. That's a new one, Chad Kroeger. Yeah, I just want to sho appreached to Mondays. Now I know you're thinking, Chad, she appreached to Mondays. Cobra Jones, thank you very much for your meaty pledge. We appreciate the cake. Andrew, who's a great supporter of the fucking cast Mabel Toys Rocking and Rolling right, we're talking, oh yeah, oh yeah. He's friendly with Larry's Abisco. He has talked about this over the years, and we were talking on our World War three nine ninety six episode what about Larry? What was he thinking when the barbarian was laying into Lee Marshall at ringside and what appeared to be an unscripted attack where Lee Marshall suddenly was thrust into the position of having to sell for a monster pro wrestler and still somehow commentate the the Battle Royal. Unfortunately for us, well, fortunately for us, Andrew was able to ask Larry. Unfortunately for us, Larry had no recollection whatsoever course of the whole thing. But I felt that it was worth reporting back because Android made the effort. And he also urges you to check out Larry's Obisco's song. I don't know if you know that there was a Larry's Abisco song. Boss. Do you hear anything about this? No, there's a We'll come up on it later too. Someone linked us to a great compendium that someone had created on a website of like wrestling related albums, and there's like a hundred of them on there. It's like there are so many of these novelty things along the lines of the wrestling album. And we spent a lot of time getting into getting into the wrestling album. Uh and and kind of it's pre its precursors when we did the Slammy Show and all of the things that you know, all all the things that that fit that category. I'm trying to find here it's a Bisco's song. I'm not going to find it, I don't think. But it's called boo on me. If you want to try to find it on us.
Speaker 1: He's a laps fall wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 2: Here it comes t L A f l's us go boo on a man? Oh hate? So come on, you just can't wait. That's poo Yeah you did. Oh my god, this make me cry. Enjoy that.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I figured we owed it to Andrew Putting in the world. Wow, what a fuck. They're trying to get it relaunched. They think there's a market. Get on Spotify, baby, send some some royalties. The Legend's Way and the golf Polo. Dan wants you to know that. Coincidentally, twin Peaks is also the name of a sleazy hooter's knockoff restaurant, Chaine Twin Peaks Restaurant dot com. Boss. Well, I mean, hey, let's do it makes less sense as fan Marv. Great to see backpal. Thank you very much for your support. We appreciate it. Graveyard Entertainment also a wonderful supporter on Patreon. He says, if being excited by nine hours on a movie isn't a clear indication that I have a problem, there is no problem, and that's exactly correct. Logan writes, thank you for taking this journey into David Lynch. His work was a blind spot for me, so it's been great learning about him. I've seen all his movies now, and on season three of Twin Peaks, I highly recommend to The Straight Story. It's a heartwarming and very well acted story of a seventy three year old man determined to make amends with his brother, with one hilarious scene that reminds you it's a Lynch movie. My favorite of his would be Blue Velvet. However, I still think of that movie over a month after seeing it. Also, the original pilot for mohalland Drive is up on Internet archive if anyone is interested in watching it is Doctor, which again is basically the same movie. For those who who you know, listen to the Twin Peaks episodes. Basically is the same movie, but without the female uh kind of love angle love angle, right, Yeah, so much, so much more to learn about David Lynch. But you know, the Twin Peaks connections were there, from some indies doing Twin Peaks gimmicks to of course the Brazan Goo and Tyler Breeze doing the Twin Peaks knockoffs gets on raw. So we had we had the connections we needed for that that stop. We mentioned the PayPal tip jar option earlier. Zach who just supports us in every way you can imagine. Also, uh gave us at a boy at the conclusion of the David Lynch tribute, sending us some cake and saying for the coachairs to give themselves the present of one slice of pie or a milkshake. We'll take We'll take up on that one of these days. Well, we'll have it and we'll show it to you. Yeah. William wants to know. Well first, he says, I'm proud of the Solar System for not spoiling the killer in Twin Peaks, and I love JP for the cliffhanger. Well done, sir. Did you actually tell Jack or did you leave him hanging as well? I told him, I did tell him. I cut you know. I don't he I even told you I cut that out of the episode. Oh shit, see I thought that made the episode. No, I decided to cut it out. I had no idea that about that. That's huge, What a great thing to talk about. Then here, Yeah, I I I I was. I got right to the point where I was about to say, and then I put the the montage on. I had no idea. Yeah, because you told me after we finished the movie in a way that still sounded like you were on. You know, we were on.
Speaker 8: We were on.
Speaker 2: I mean, I recorded that was it. That was a decision afterwards. That was a decision, as I was probably why did you make that decision? Because I think people should see it? Yep, I think people should see it for themselves. I think it. I think it. It just it's such a revelation that it it's it's just amazing. It's amazing revelation. What do they need to know about how much more Twin Peaks they have to watch? If you want to divulge that even to get that, you just got to get through to find out, You've got to get about maybe a third of the way through season two. Okay, And I hope the theme song doesn't change, no, no at all, no im faces of the name absolutely, man. I mean, if that wasn't in my head, I put it on the car once. It's so great. I realized that's a great, great piece of music. I actually, you know, it's funny. After I watched that the whole thing the first time back in two thousand and whatever, I I bought the soundtrack album. Wow, I bought the soundtrack album, so I got all that music, all that great Angelo Badam and oh God disusing it. Boom boom boom the waterfall. Ah, it's beautiful, Oh so beautiful. And then you have to hear the whole thing, the whole under the Cinema Lynch tribute Twin Peaks tribute is worth it to get to that end where boss Man hits you, that montage to that music of all the nuggets of wisdom that David Lynch portrayed and conveyed, I should say, in his time here on earth, and it is truly a beautiful ending. So highest recommendation. Tim writes to us son, I'm expected to you know, honest to God, that was not that was not on my plan for twenty twenty five, and amazing how that happens, son of a bitch had to go and die. Hey, that's another great thing about the format here. We're flexible.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: We strike when they're it's hot. Yeah, no excuses, clear the whole deck. We don't give a fuck. All right, fine, this whole podcast will be about Terry Funk for eight months. Fuck you, it's right. This whole podcast will be about TNA in twenty ten. Fuck you, No podcast will be about SID for eight months. We don't give a fuck. And that's right. Go fuck yourself exactly, Tim eat shit, Yeah, you're starting to get there rights to us on our World War three ninety six episode. World War three is probably the worst gimmick match of all. But as a kid, I thought they should have simulcast each ring. I imagine they may have needed to pay cable systems more to get three channels of pay per view, but maybe put the three rings on TNT, then hard cameras on each ring, and put it on the center ring on the main pay per view ring, then split the others to TBS and I don't know, CNN, Court TV. There's the thought you can watch, you choose which ring you watch contained the stressing Ida that's not bad idea at all, actually, I mean if you had yeah, yeah, it could be interesting. Especially with streaming now, I mean it complicates it because if it's pay per view, you can't just as well put one of the rings on free TV. But now you could do it. I remember UFC used to do that when they used to have before they got in bed with the ESPN, they used to offer their pay per views on their own streaming service, like their version of WW network, and they actually went all out that you could toggle sound so like during the course of the fight, instead of listening to the commentators, you could listen to the corner men shouting the instructions and actually caught the corner men saying some fascinating things and some key fights over the years. That was kind of like an interesting fun exercises to go back and see what you could piece together just listening to the quarter audio afterwards. And you could pick I believe you could if I'm remembering correctly. You could pick camera angles as well. They did a ton of experimental stuff and it really was cool. But WW didn't do anything like that. I mean they would have to get buy in from like Peacock. It's not like they could just do it. But even when they had the network, there wasn't there wasn't much fun you could have, you know what I mean with like how you took it in and I wonder if that there's some space for that. Corey Barnett, thanks very much for your pledge. We appreciate you joining the inner circle here at tlf on. David Lynch, Carlo Wright. It's all about trust, after all. Without the trust, David Lynch engenders he is the definition and exemplar of the pervy, pretentious, tortured artist gimmick yep. For example, in the middle of production, he says to his lead actors, I just had a vision in meditation. I just added eighteen pages to the script. And by the way, the two of you are going to have sex nude on camera and you, Naomi, you are going to lay down and masturbate. And what do you think about that? Girls? Very tasteful, very safe. We're going to need a lot of takes to get it right. Wow. Yep, that's what he did, pretty much what he did, ye Naomi, Naomi, you gotta keep doing it, keep rubbing the pussy. You got no farder, the not your the I mean pussy is offensive enough in that scenario, he says.
Speaker 5: The.
Speaker 2: No, no, harder, harder, Naomi, that is a huge distinction in life. Like we talked, We've talked about how much of a difference maker it is when a dick is out as opposed to end right, how it changes the entire mood within a twenty minute radius. But similarly, like the and your huge difference big is or that you know that is even better, like you know, like you just said, like you know, touch not your pussy, touched that pussy. I don't know even like you know, eat your dinner, eat that dinner, Eat that dinner, Eat the dinner, eat that dinner. It comes off so much differently. Yes, William writes, there was a Simpsons episode where Homer is watching Twin Peaks, sitting on the couch, a piece of popcorn clenched between his fingers, and he says something on the lines of this show is amazing. I have no idea what it's about. That's pretty good, and he remembers the six cassette box. Is that a Twin Peaks? Yes, Yeah, that was a that was That was the VHS cassette they released vs. A VHS box set in ninety five. First and no, they released the the Laser Disc in Japan, but then the VHS box set in the State's huge in so you could get the complete Twin Peaks on VHS in nineteen ninety five. That's amazing. Yep, all all thirty up since the earliest I ever heard of something like that. Yeah, I don't, I mean, I knew movies move they did that with movies. Yeah, movie, I remember they did that with the Star Trek, the original Star Trek movies, but not not TV I don't remember. I mean, I know they'd have best of you know, or selections of movies, but not like that, not the whole fun That's that's a DVD thing exactly. William writes that six cassette box was what my local video store, which was called That's re Entertainment had, and was. I was slinging coffee. This is a great memory. I was slinging coffee at Espresso Royale. I'd take my tip jar earnings, walk from the coffee shop a block to the video store, grab a peeks, then walk two blocks to a Vietnamese takeout, then walked the last two blocks to my apartment I was in my early twenties and the late nineties broke as hell and it was awesome. Amen, man, you put me there. What a night? What a night in incredible Chris notices on World War Three nine ninety six. Under commented by anyone so far was Tony Schiavanni calling heenan Bob early in the zoo. Yeah, Bob, that's huge with his contemptuous tone for the brain. We talked about Tony Penya on an episode and Tom who knows the area well and World War Three, we talked about him because Tony Penya was a name that Viano three one under when he was unmasked when he first came to WCW and we were like, where is Tony Penya coming from? Why is that ringing a bell? Tom fills it in, which is another great use case for the feedback show and Patrio. Tony Penya was a coach for the Yankees after his playing days. Was on the two thousand nine World Series Championship staff. Also, I'm doing a Scar Blaye journey. We listened and just finish nineteen ninety six earlier this week. Always grateful for that lapsed serendipity, he writes, as as boss half remembered per that episode, And this was another thing that we struggled to recall precisely on the World War three episode because of course that's the first pay per view where Bischoff comes out as a heel as a member of the NYO, having turned on Piper a couple weeks before, but we couldn't remember, like if they just had him turn and didn't really explain what the hell would lead the fucking boss of WCW to join the nWo side. Per that episode, Tom writes Bischoff had offered if you can't beat him, join him as his reason for turning on WCW. Yeah, he basically says, because we were like, so he let Kevin Nash powerbomba at Great American Bash just to fool people for six months before you finally revealed what his grand plan was. But he goes on to say that apparently, which we have talked about in the past because we covered it a bit more on the nose, that he basically said after that attack from the Outsider, so the Great American Bash, he realized that he was just fighting an uphill battle and he had to So he's saying he's basically in the tank for the nWo. Shortly since, shortly after that and the Grand Plan revealed itself, and it was on that Nitro two or around that nitro where he was like, everyone has to declare their allegiance and everyone has a twenty four hours or whatever the nWo was saying, everyone has twenty four hours say if you're with us or against us or whatever. So Chris, thank you very much for bumping up your pledge. We appreciate it. Up to that EP tier. That's that's a big boy move of you, and we note it and we appreciate it. Adam writs, considering how many TLF exchanges involve wrestlers transforming into others or having their CPU meltdown mid sentence, Oh boy, it's safe to say that the co chairman were lynching for years before this beautiful tribute. Very true, very true. With that, send me a related note, he says, I always thought Chris Isaac looked like a young Randy Orton in Twin Peaks fire Walk with Me, especially when he beats the ship out of the Redneck Shriff. Always liked those doppelgangers around here, ye. Jacob Wright started watching Twin peaks around the time the Deep Dive started, and I'm loving it. I'm gonna mis lapsed Lynch. I hope you all finish the Laura Palmer arc in the future. I actually enjoyed you the first nine episodes of season two more than season one. Yeah, I mean, the beginning of season two is great. You agree with that? Yeah, oh yeah, Listen, it all goes downhill after after the revelation and when that when when the kind of when the Laura Palmer Palmer storyline ends. It just I mean, and again I don't hate it. It's just it's just not what it was. Yeah, you know, because again, like I said when we were doing it, people don't know when they're watching something like this, they think they want they think they want the answer. Yes, but you don't want the answer because the fun of the show was in the who done it aspect of it. Once you know the game's over and that it is, and I think they could have, you know, the the I don't. It's hard. It's very hard. I'm not saying I knew the answer this and obviously we're looking back on it with you know, with the you know, with the Monday Morning quarterback here but you know, if you they if they were able to find another hook and like kind of have side stories that kind of overtook the Laura Palmer thing, that would have been better, you know, so that the Laura Palmer thing didn't always have to be in the forefront. It would just kind of sometimes linger in the background. They would always be present, but it might not be the focus of every episode. I don't know. I just think that could have been better, and they could have probably played it for three five seasons. I think I've been in five seasons with it, and then you reveal at the end and it's fantastic. Huh. Yeah, that would have been That would have been the play. And speaking of leaving something until the very very end, we continue to be vindicated on the scene of heel turn. I said up the second we surfaced it here on the show that we're going to ruin it for you. We're going to ruin it for you because when we lay out how they should do it, yeah, everything else is going to pale in comparison. And from what we're hearing, it's not going so well. Yeah, as they went with a different tack, but your co chairman, in anticipation of WrestleMania this year, cooking up a thought as to how we can put that one really under the microscope, because while we really shy away from doing much in the way of shows on contemporary wrestling, there are moments where people turn to us and say, hey, you guys figured out why everything in the past that we remember as corollaries to what's happening now worked or didn't work. You guys do the diagnosis. You guys do the you guys put it under the tightest microscope. You guys do the autopsies. What do you think? And people that listen to our live call and Elimination Chamber were enthralled. I was going through the feedback and preparation for this, so many memories flooding back from that live call, and how how hyped people were that they had done something so ballsy and something so third rail. And now here we are and it's a reminder of why it used to be better in so many ways. But we're going to take a closer look soon. Jeff did right to us, Sina should show up with Megan markele Wait, what was that again? Sena should show up with Megan Markel, he said, doing a subtle, but patronizing, holier than now Hollywood lecturing gimmick. That's the best way Markle has of drawing viewers these days. Would also help her public persona by pretending that she's actually got some self awareness. She would be a wonderful pro wrestling valet. Yeah, I can see that. I can see it right now. It's better than Travis Scott, who we haven't heard a single thing from after being part of that supposedly iconic tableau in Toronto. You know, like he was going to be some inexplicable part of the thing. He'll probably be at maniacause I think he's performing. They announced that months and months before he participated in the in the Angle. But my god, I haven't seen Dwayne since come on Fox. I mean it's just a you know, I'm going through this feedback and everyone's like, oh, and then Dwayne can have got you know, corrupted him or brainwashed him or they've been working at all long and now everything Dwayne's been saying and doing makes sense. Haven't heard a fucking peep, my god, since it went down, not a peep. Unbelievable, And yeah, why, I don't know. I don't think we'll ever get with him, and you never get the answer, right because he comes up with this like, you know, this shiny version of the story that everyone parrots, you know, and I mean he's he kind of you know, and he kind of reminds me of of of Danny DeVito in and Get Shorty. You know, he comes in and so it's like, you know, there, there's they set up this. There's a scene in the movie where they set up this uh this lunch at or breakfast or whatever at the ivy in of course, of course, right and so you know, but they're at in there this meal and Danny DeVito comes in and he's this big movie star actor and whatever, and he kind of orders the food for everybody, even though they don't want it. He orders a bunch of food for everybody, even though and it's like like everyone's like, no, I don't, I don't want that, but he orders it anyway, and then he has like two bites and he leaves and they're stuck with everything else they didn't want. That's the rock. Love it. That's awesome. The rock is Martin Weir. For those who know Get Shorty, Wow, Get Cool or I guess it would be get shortens. Get be cool, be cool, No, be cool as a sequel to get shortens. Ha Uh, nobody's nobody. Want to thank you for the pledge. You're somebody somebody to us pal brother, Thanks for the cake. I really appreciate it. Jeff also writes plus one for the use of the phrase greasy carneyes, with no disrespect intended for proper old school carneies. There is a difference circus carneyes. He writes, work together to work the marks. Wrestling carnies work each other to avoid having to work the marks. Yes, I like that quite a bit. We want to. I want to thank Josh for sending us pictures of Randy Savage as cabbage. I think that Randy Cabbage. You got me. I can't believe that I didn't get that. Did we did? We have a hole dissertation on that at some point. I don't know. I don't. I don't remember him as cabbage, you know, I saw. I will say that is one solid use for AI image generation is when someone says something that absurd and you can produce a picture like I just sent to you. It's the it's the it's the mouth. Yeah, he looks like he's struggling. It's always what you don't expect. It's always the it's always a feature you don't think. We'll tell the story that m is the thrust of the Homeandy cabbage. Yeah, that's about Eric turning here, eating it, getting it boiled, working further that boiled. Didn't know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Ohad cabbage in the the corn beef, working it up, working it inside out. If you know what I'm talking about, Randy cabbage, delicious. Steve, our friend in Ireland, says, listening to Boss describe an Irish breakfast sandwich and have to wonder do Americans think the Irish eat corn beef?
Speaker 2: We do, Yes, we do. Think that's it. That's all you eat. You mean you eat corn, beef, cabbage and potatoes. That's all you eat. He says. If the co Chairs ever travel to Dublin, they will have to be treated to a real full Irish breakfast at the pub. Please, I don't want. I hate corn beef and cabbage like the fucking I can't stand it. I despise now. I despise a boiled dinner. I despise it, despise it. I remember I was I was in high school and the girl I was dating, like I went over to her parents' house for the first time and met them for the first time, and they make her mom makes a boiled dinner and I was like, what the fuck? And it's just the most blandest, tasteless. It's like, what, why bother? Why bother? It just ruins the flavor of everything. Can't stand it, hate it, hate it so much? Water still present, I know, right, And it's just like, you know, it's like you've basically like cleaned out all of the fucking you took it. You cleaned it right exactly. You cleaned off the flavor is what you did? You know? Like, I mean we had like it was. It was boiled hamd boiled potatoes and fucking oh, it's just vile. Like just shoot me, that's awesome. I quite like it. But and Nesten, I'm listen. Hey, it's it's popular. You know you should. You should go to my parents' house every fucking yes, I want it so bad, go ahead, get it. Yeh see he gets see. I like the actmath because I make corn beef fash out of the Oh yeah, you like that though, interesting. I love cornbi fash and I like corn beef. I don't like the boiled fucking dinner. I see, like it's that whole thing that just like corny, the cabbage and potatoes and all that other shit. It's like, I just have no It's like it sucks. Man, Steve says, Get the jumbo breakfast, roll a full Irish and a French breadbag. Add a Dublin specialty. Count me done, done, Count me in. It's done. I'm there. You don't have to fucking convince me. Stop arguing with me, exactly. I know I'm one step ahead of you actually in terms of things. But he writes on Eric Bischoff's He'll Turn, I think the major difference between Heal Vince and Heal Eric is that Heal Eric never went anywhere. He'll Vince went from hating his world champion to becoming obsessed with seeing him destroyed. That's true, Heal Eric, just like I'm wearing jeans now, and that's the extent of my character. Well, and I think too much like much like the whole Cogan thing, there's a lot of real life circumstances that makes Vince McMahon a better heel Because you're also talking about you know what was one of the great things about about the early days of the Austin mcmahonson right after WrestleMania was the whole thing about him trying to make Steve Austin to the corporate champion. Yeah, right, because that I don't know about you, but for me, it made me think of Kevin Nash. It made me think of the whole Kevin Nash thing. They watered him down, like like, you know, you look at him and and Nash was great beforehand because he was a badass. Then he becomes champion and becomes the top babyface, and he becomes a piece of shit, and he becomes just a goof. And those last months before he left the company, he circles back around and gets in fastive about that, Like that went through my mind when that was happening. I remember being horrified and so nervous, yes about that, even though it's like it's so it's amazing how they were able to get you. Yeah, you know, because I sat there like horrified that they were actually going to do this to Steve Austin. Right, there was no way in hell they were gonna actually do that to Steve Austin. The whole point was that he was a fucking badass. Absolutely well, no, they went with it. They went all the way because, unlike with Diesel, Vince was willing to be the heel. It wasn't just Diesel voicing frustration, which I'm sure somewhere Vince's head would make him the heel to be so disenchanted with the circumstances that, you know, to Vince, anyone who's ever complained about their working conditions was a heel in his head. You know, so someone complaining about their working conditions and wrestling is going to be healed to the fans as well. It's no telling where the Kevin Nash character would have gone had he not jumped to WCW N ninety six. But that's where it was headed a little for a little while there, And you know, acknowledging Vince's the owner of the first character to really acknowledge Vince's the owner was Kevin Nash. You make a good point. Did Kevin Nash walk so stone Cold could run? Yeah? I mean I would say in many ways. In many ways, yeah, Bischoff just like did his smile and hung with Hogan and then feuded with Larry. But it's true, he didn't he didn't have a goal in mind, and and so. But but you know, but again there's also just the history because I think people people were frustrated with Vin sick Mann as they were with hul Kogan. Yeah, they weren't frustrated with Eric. They didn't really have any There's no right. Eric wasn't that guy. Eric wasn't presented as being as much of a presence in the past. I mean, Vince snick manhn did that fucking awful dance. You'll stand back, go right, you know, like this is stuff that sticks in the minds of fans because there's there's a long there's a long time that the steroid trial. There's a long love hate relationship with the fans in Vin sick Man that is present, and that's what made him a more effective heel because I think about two not only Kevin Nash. He had fucking you know, obviously the Brett thing. He had a fucking hockey fight with Brett in the summer ninety seven. Remember that, that's right, pulled a fucking hockey jersey over his head, right, Yeah, good point. Yeah, these were all things Bischoff and never even came close to doing before he turned the heel. He was just an announcer, you know, Colin Nitro calling out Vince and being afraid of the nWo like everybody else for a little while. But he never he never did an angle before that. He never, you know, other wrestlers didn't really call him out before that. And right in the same way, even the even the Brian Pillman and I respect you Bookerman thing you know, that was that was corrected to Kevin Sullivan is the boss of WCW. Even when they did shoot style angles. There wasn't even Bischoff that they were necessarily calling out in WCW. They were calling him out on ECW TV, but that's neither here or there. Ludy Seve Austin putting a jet black wig on and pretending to be Eric Bischoff one time in he CW. That was something the big Buluski want to thank you very much for a big ball donation and pledge on Patreon. We appreciate it. My friend Brett writes boy with a in for an insomnia curing surprise with that Scena promo, he literally did the complete opposite of everything they predicted. Can't wait to get more into that. Mm william makes a great point on World War three ninety six, where Dusty Roads was on commentary, the word salad coming out of Dusty is only matched by the potato salad going in. Steve writes, Hello, co Chairs, while listening to World War three ninety six episode in your opinions, When NBO started to pick and become an albatross, I would like you to consider their biggest problem was Hulk Hogan. When I rewatched the nWo nitros on the network, I could not get over how much of a hangover on Hogan. A hangar on rather Hogan seems to be to the much cooler Hall of Nash. Hogan, instead of coming off as the leader of a takeover, comes across as a father having a midlife crisis, resorting to buying the high school senior's beer so he can go to their parties and chat up eighteen year olds. Yeah but I don't mind that. Actually, Wow, that works for me. That doesn't bother me, because that's kind of what he was. Yeah, that's kind of what he was, and it's it's true. And and the thing is, the nWo is not supposed to be cool. Yeah, you forget that it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be an enemy. It's supposed to be something that hate that you hate. If they just let Scott Hall go out there and act like nothing, that he didn't care about anything and be sarcastic forever, it would have died in six months. Rights not that the idea is that you hate hul Cogan and I'll never forget, like even rewatching because you know, you get in your mind of the nWo. Like everyone was cheering the nWo, and yes they were cool. They were cheering the kind of cool as there were cities that cho and listen, they're chanting, they're cheering for Nash and they're cheering for Hall. But I'll tell you what what whatever, especially in ninety six, Hogan would have the main event interview situation whenever he was on Nitro. That was kind of the thing. And he got boot out of the There was no popularity there, there was no people weren't cheering and they were booing the shit out of it. And the reason the nWo angle worked like it did wasn't just because Hall and Nash were cool. It was because people wanted to see WCW come back. And if all it was was Kevin National Scott All acting like they're in a Tupac video. It wasn't gonna work right again. See this is this is exactly it too. Like I don't know if people realize, much like Twin Peaks, you don't you you don't want what you think you want right. You don't realize it at the time, but you actually want w CW to win. You want them to win. You don't, but you're you're kind of blinded by the the the kind of shiny thing ingenuity of this new thing, but never you know, it's like a brand new, shiny thing you've never even thought you'd see. The proof is in the pudding. When they turned the entire show over to them, the ratings tanked, the pay per view devoted to WO sucked, and no one bought it relatively speaking to other shows. Yep, they kept it going on for like four years. Yeah, It's just there was never a proof point where they leaned into that direction where people said, yes, finally this is the nWo show and not WCW. That's what I've been waiting for. No one wanted that, even if they told themselves they wanted it. When they did it. No one cared and it was actually a deterrent. It was a turn off. That's a wonderful point. So Hogan, instead of coming off as the leader he writes of takeover comes across to the father mid life crisis. Yep. Most of the perception the nWo is cool comes off from Hall in Nashville. Hogan segment just come off as verbal masturbation. Well, no, it's Sting. It's it's about him being the giant that Sting is going to slagh. You know, do you think Sting doing the whole thing he did brooding in the balcony would have worked if he was coming after Kevin Nash the whole time. No, that's not as big a match at the end. Big. They'd also played out the idea that he and Hogan were friends, right, you know, I mean, I I you gotta to me. The idea is you've always got to remember you know again, nWo was supposed to be a heel faction, right, That's what it was. We forget that. I forget it, you know, I mean, you know I again I bring up that Hogan the Hogan may have been interviews on Nitro as like because I'd like why aren't they cheering hok Hogan As I'm rewatching this, I'm like right, I thought they fucking loved him after this, and like, no, they don't love him. They still think of it as a heel But Kevin Nash and Scott Hall brought something different. They brought that kind of edgy anti hero popularity. Hogan was a plain old chicken shit heel See writes this all could have been avoided if the third man was Sting. I don't know. Sting would have been the perfect enemy, he writes, with it within to lead an nWo takeover. Sting had stayed loyal at WCW, even when he was downgraded from top star when Hogan came in, and once more when Savage came along. He was not even at friend of the top star level. For part of ninety six, he was even feuding over the TV belt he had graduated from in eighty nine. Sting was a victim of ww politics, perhaps invited two former ww wrestlers, Holl and Nash, who went to shut to start him in WWF after finding nothing but barriers and ceilings in their way in WCW, to come in with the knowledge of how to destroy a system that had wrung them all, now having Hogan be decimated to dash at the beach and take time off to let the fans suffer from absence, making the heart grow fonder before coming back as the Avenging Angel leading an army against an nWo trio. I don't I don't think so. Yeah, I don't think you're underestimating how much of why Sting was so electric was because he was mister w CW before he went prow And not only that, what made Hogan, what made the heel turn so money and so important and so right at the time, was because the fans were booing Hulk Hogan's act already anyway. That's what made it works. Imp clamoring crost the legacy. No one ever clamored for Sting to become a heel, like that's the thing Sting. Sting is for some reason. You know, there are there are these people perennial baby for some fucking reason can be perennial babyfaces. Nobody in their right mind is ever gonna Boosting. I don't get it sometimes I don't get joke or TNA. Sting was cheered over Hogan, eve Ye and Ricky Steamboat the same fucking thing. You could never make Ricky steamboat a fucking heel. It's just no one wants to bow them. And so that's the thing. If people had been tired of stings surfer gimmick and they were like, I'm ready to fucking but they loved him. They loved him. I mean, you know, we worked hard and stuff and he was exciting, you know, So you had that and just a ship promo. But that's that's the difference. And I and listen, I'm not saying that a sting leed nWo wouldn't be interesting. I just it would not have made the money that Yeah, no fucking way. Just it would be awkward for Hogan to fly the flag because Sting was the one agreed. Sting was the one embodying WCW when Hogan was the top guys business across the pond in WWI. But yeah, we appreciate it. Stuvee, that's some thought provoking stuff. No pointless members, we can agree with that. No one ever, oh defends adding pointless members of the nWo. Yeah, sure, I agree. You don't need fucking Mike Rotundo and fucking nWo. Oh that's ridiculous. Come and to appreciate Corey more and more. He's our homie in Winnipeg who is a fan of a deeper vintage than ours. And whenever we've got questions about early to mid eighties, which can be a foggy time period for US man as you fill it in, it's not often, he says, but I have to disagree with our co chairs. This is when we were talking about how Piper's ninety six WCW run was like some of his best stuff. Oh yeah, he says, eighty four eighty six Pipers by far his best run. I love the Heevers heel tag matches they ran in eighty five eighty six as well. Shek and Volkoff also wrestle the Heart Foundation and the Funks around that time. This is of course a comment on our Colsseum home video thing as well. The Killer Bees wrestled the US Express by Vibertuendo American Express for as well. Beef Kick and Valentine talk about the cheek Volkov match and shoot interviews and how over they were. And so he's he's with a eighty four eighty six Piper, which you know, God, I mean, that's that's where his bones are made. That's his real question, no question, I just to me, I don't. I mean, I think we both agree on this. It's the nonsensical promos that just kind of bother me, like they just keep going on and on, which I know that's kind of his thing. Coked out. Yeah, Like it's just like it's it's it's a little much for me personally. Yeah, it's not. It's always a home run. Back then, it's it's one thing to watch the lou Albano smash the record Angle and the fucking Jimmy Snooker Piper's Pit and the Dave Wolf Cindy Lapper Piper's Pit. But there's a lot of stuff in there that was kind of just like meandering to your point, a lot of like local market promos. You watch him do back then, you're just like, what the fuck did he just say? Like he just he just made all kinds of gestures and squeaky noises and stuff. But I feel like that by the mid nineties and the w Stubby Bear in particular, he he went to that ring not only knowing what he wanted to say, but how to say it in a way that was like coogin but didn't lose that element of Pip Piper imprectability, but you still gut the message across. I don't know, I just felt like he was a more. He was a more, He's a deeper character there. Corey also writes, you guys talked about Hogan's debut of the Real American theme song a few shows ago. Yes we did. I'men discussing the wrestling album as part of the Slamy Award show that December thirtieth match, which, as you recall, Boss we ascertained that the first time Hulk Hogan came to the ring to Real American was December thirty, nineteen eighty five at Madison Square Garden against Macho Man Y was vers Savage MSG. Hogan loses by count. Now, yes, that's right, Hogan loses the first time he ever uses Real American. That's something I always appreciate that. Yes, so Bez is among the others to point out that Bischoff explained that after Nash power bomb him, he had an epiphany and decided to become part of the nWo rather than getting destroyed by them. This was the same segment, he writes where he gave all WCW wrestlers an Ultimadium in November twenty fifth, nineteen nineties. Nitro yes, very much so. He also says that he likes the scene of suggestions, but considering the in cell fans nowadays beating up Nikki Bella might turn see a face again, Aced acts with a wonderful line, how many cows died the story of Dusty Rhodes, Chris says other podcasts, this week we are looking at WCW World War three. The first one. Here is the exact order of eliminations, where the announcers made mistakes, and how we would have booked the match the lapsed fan. This week we are finally doing World War three. Here's what's wrong with Queen of the Ring and this and this is proof that Craig Leathers edits his own Wikipedia page. I love you guys, he says, we love you too. Holler, that's correct, that is correct. Listen and everything gets included. Adam points out something interesting I hadn't noticed. He said. One weird thing that Piper would do in promos going back to years was lie about how many kids he had, saying he had six. That's strange. Why would you do that if having a fuck ton of kids was all it took, he writes, to be a top guy. Rocky Johnson would have been the big straw of the century. That's funny. So that is funny. Corey comes back. Remember when Gorilla had made reference on one of the Colisseum Collection matches to Ken Peterra having retired him. Yeah, we were like, what is that? Yes, didn't know about this angle. Ken, he writes, had a title match against Backland Bob Eckland, so this would have been his late seventies early eighties run. About twenty minutes into the match, Petera grabs the mic and stand off of the announced desk. He ends up clubbing Gorilla. Backland gets the mic away from Ken and blasts him, and then Gorilla gets into chop Petera. This leads to a match between Petera and Gorilla. Ken wins and Gorilla retires. He has a couple of matches after that, but that was the end of his full time career. Wow. The date August twenty third, nineteen eighty So do you even know about that? We'll have to look that one up. Thanks very much. As always, can count on Corey to fill in the gaps from that time period in particular, A tool Belt for Daddy writes on Patreon regarding why Land of a Thousand Dances because we asked why of all the songs? I think he's good theory. I think Vince likes just the no no no no noah of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bruce Pritchard has told a story about how much he loves the old Nanna Kiss some goodbye song chant, and this is pretty close. Tool Belt also adds, I love this version of Vince that did comedy. It's clearly having fun creating this stuff. It is infectious, like when he's doing TNT and this, you know, some of these more foolish and outlandish things. His sense of humor is kind of it's really stupid, but it's kind of fun to watch him like try not to laugh, you know, and try to keep that straight man look about him while holding the mic, and the insanity is enveloping all around him. But it's just I don't know, it's a lot. He does a lot of it. It's not one segment a month or whatever. It's fucking entire show is like all this high jinks and a little wrestling. It's really really it really smacks someone who's trying to be someone who's not you know, yes, or trying to appeal to an audience he doesn't have. Zachary Cole, thank you very much for your increase in pledge. We really appreciate it. We got some sound from the from the field boss. We know that the lapsed wife is a thing. Tell him about the shirt. Oh fuck yeah, I mean listen, that's the one. If you are are married, and you've got and you've got a wife who questions why you listen to this shit, you get them a lapsed wife shirt because it says right underneath, why are you laughing? This isn't funny. That is the catchphrase and the the slogan of the lapsed wife. All right, they don't know why you listen to us. They certainly don't understand why you're laughing at us because we're not funny. I understand. Listen, you know my wife doesn't think I'm nearly as funny as I am. Right, no wife does, exactly, and it cludes Marshall's wife because uh she. He sent some rather amusing audio of I think what probably stands as a very typical spousal interaction around the pod. Here he is my lovely girlfriend.
Speaker 4: I asked her, I told her about wrestling.
Speaker 3: I thought about the John c n He'll turn and.
Speaker 2: What did you say about wrestling? Georgina, So movies on TV shows?
Speaker 4: Why is this worse?
Speaker 1: It's just more fake?
Speaker 2: Yes, I rest my case. Yes it's more fake. That's a good share. Actually, all right, that's a good it's more why why is it'd be like you ask the question why is wrestling? Yeah? Why do you why do you dislike wrestling more than TV and movies? Right, it's more fake, yes, Bingo, speaking of much Lucky Lagucci doubled that pledge. We appreciate it. Random, thank you so much for that cake. It's awesome. We appreciate it. Richard writes greetings to JP while putting on some background noise while working on a model. I had to stop as the video was talking about Godzilla or Space Godzilla from nineteen ninety four, due to the revelation that the sued actor for Little Godzilla was a pro wrestler. Oh boy. I also found out that this is not the first timely Yeah, a pro wrestler was a sued actor, as the show Era Films used one for Godzilla First Child Manila, we get do we get a name? While most of the movies with Godzilla's offspring are bad, Godzilla movies are some of my earliest childhood memories. I would love to hear you give the cinemat treatment to any of the movies. Yes please. I also would ask Godzilla to a flying drop kick is seen in Gonzillaver's Megaton count. I mean there's one, and let me see here he's got. There's one that I would fucking like. It's my all time favorite Godzilla movie and it's King Kong versus Godza. Is it really from nineteen sixty three? So fucking great? Thatches two pictures, one of Masau little man Machan Fukuzawa, who is the suit actor in Manila, and one of Masanobu little Frankie Okamoto, who is a suit actor in Little Godzilla. So that's wow. Two potential cinemat connections to get Godzilla going. Maybe a Godzilla journey coming. Oh my god, you imagine back to Tokyo we go? Right? What's that? What's the name again? Oh geez, I lost it with your names. We'll pull it up some other time. Correy also writes Albano managed Andre and eighty five, who were like, what's the tie between Andre and Albano that they're talking about? That one's there was the big MSG match who writes versus Bundy is with Lou in the corner. Andre has back to back Saturday Night's main event tag matches Verus stud and Bundy with Albano in his corner. I remember those matches, but I did not remember that little Banno was in Andre's corner for them. Plus Albano managed the machines right which had Andre in it. That's a good point. Joe from Chicago and hey, JP and Jack currently listening to the Exorcist episode of Under the Cinemat that's wrong, while Ago that's that's yeah, that's some Halloween shit. Right there after we say it's incredible, and he's right about you. Yes, I think I've texted my mom and several uncles about their experiencing it in theaters, just because of the little bits and pieces they've told me over the years. Also the fact that Friedkin more or less got his confidence from watching Chicago wrestling made me smile. It's right, yeah, Yes, I live in the hollowed Holls, the grounds of Schomberg Jesus Christ. Jimmy Barnett might be the real Forest Gump, as he was probably working for Kohler at the time. That's true, he was thanks for all the shout outs for my suburban home one. Would you ever consider putting the episode on the main feed so I can share it, I can make a donation. What do you think that's a no act? Maybe I don't know. Maybe some point, probably at some point i'd do what you see say, yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe in the fall, because it definitely, I mean especially because for the connections alone, the connections alone are just so fucking yeah, those are deep, especially the last one. The last one is just the fucking greatest thing too. Also, I've been kicking around the idea of getting the Captain Howdy tattoo, but I feel that maybe invite unnecessary bad juju, if you will. In in my life, I don't have that strong of a religious conviction at all. But I don't know. Something makes me think twice, yeah, I know where that I can tell whe that comes from? For real, though, you guys have helped me through the last year and a half of ups and downs. Luckily I have it all together with great kids in a pretty cool life. But just I think you guys know how much you mean to people. But I just want to say it again. My four year old wanted to watch the match with all the girl pro wrestlers aka Woman's Rumble. I also apologize for being a bitch and dropping tears on Patreon. Never apologize for this, folks. I mean, the bitch thing is for people. When we say that, we're talking about people who judge, people who pay for the show. We're not talking about people can't afford to pay for the show. It's not long, right, right, right, right right. But I have done a lot of program I've done a lot of growing up in the last year, and I'm trying to get my shit together, he writes, and rectifying some of my past financial mistakes. However, I believe it is my duty is a good goddamn American to pay for art, and you gentlemen make art. That's correct, Joe, thank you for everything, and praise be to the Warlord. Will praise be to you son. It's great to have you in our corner. Carlo writes to us. I got the Wrestling album in nineteen eighty six. I played it on my family room record player. My ever loving parents did not care for it. My mom said grab them cakes was inappropriate. Yeah, Jeff says, Martha Quinn is a certain kind of hot that only existed in the nineteen eighties. Is that true? Yeah, the way they were writing about her, she was like like girlfriend material. And I'm not saying she's not a pretty woman, but yeah, it's definitely it's very eighties. He appeal is very eighties. Sure, I don't know what it was. It was almost like you wanted like the kind of like the shy, bashful quality about you two at that time. It was it is very eighties, you know, like the girl who ends up at the party but didn't really want to go, but everybody's still somehowever, that all the attention is on her even though she doesn't want to be there. But she's not acting hip about it, she's acting bashful about it. You know. Work rate Midget rights to us. I've received the wrestling album for Christmas. I also recall getting the WWF calendar in the figures. He says, the Super Bowl shuffle is still played at Chicago Land weddings. Wow, it's got to be something. Dan. Thank you very much for your pledge, my friend, we appreciate it. Welcome in, David writes, Vince McMahon is uncautionably one of the most painfully unfunny people in history. Yeah, I can't disagree. Wow, he's awful. He's a fucking drizzling shit. Can you imagine getting paid to laugh at his jokes for thirty years? But that does to a person. Oh, there's nothing left, just a husk of a man. David has a great question. I don't know if you can feel this one, boss, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Is it safe to say that the WWE is a dota driven enterprise? Oh? Absolutely? Why why are we so quick to answer? Well, I mean I'm a data for all my father, so how could he not be a data driven enterprise?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But it definitely. Listen, I mean, look, we're gonna, we're gonna, you know, we'll put up the U. I mean, think about this dada Ism, okay, is and the establishment it is you know it right there from the get go. It defines it defines wrestling, all right, you know you.
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: I mean here the Wikipedia right here Wikipedia entry says this within the umbrella of the movement, the Dada movement. People used a wide variety of artistic forms to protest the logic. Reason it does protest logic, aestheticism of modern capitalism and modern war god wrestling right there. Yeah, well I mean both embrace randomness. Yeah, both reject narrative logic. Yes, both see art is live expression. Yep. Both critique society, and both are in many ways anti art. It's right. So while ww might not intentionally be data, it does share Dada's spirit. It does. It is datast in nature. It blurs the boundary stream real and fake. That's right. Thank you Mark Hutchinson for that pledge. We appreciate it. My friend. Welcome into the Patreon universe, Eric Wright. Cindy Lauper only tolerating wrestling because of her boyfriend, like every single woman in the history of exports, so totally totally don't talking about that. How she kind of all right if you want, if you say so, Dave Jack Gillespie, thank you very much for that ep level tier appreciated deeply. Ellis writes, I'm sure it's been discussed, but my old brain doesn't work. The whole Cogan theme was later reworked, that's right, into ravishing by Bonnie Tyler. Yes, if you listen to the roots of Dada lie in pre war avant guard All right, confirmed. Isn't that the text at the beginning of the Colosseum videos. H it began five billion years ago? Say the roots of da again? What did you just say?
Speaker 6: It began over five billion years ago. Yes, the roots of Dada lay in pre war avant garde Cubism, and the development of Clark and abstract art would inform the movement's detachment from the constraints of reality and convention.
Speaker 2: That's wrestling right there. It is removed from the concerts of wrestling. Isn't that right, Kim Wood? That's right, that's right. You know what time it is reality challenged. I feel sorry for the fuckers that are in pro wrestling fixed sports.
Speaker 3: He said it.
Speaker 2: He said it two words. He said the two words back to back, just as we would like God. That's it, William Does meatloads get that? Does meat loaf drumming on stage at the Slammies make rocky horror? U t c ELEGI I I don't, I don't, I don't know. I don't want to say yes. I'll tell you what I'll tell you what Here's the thing? Was meat Loaf the drummer for the album? Yeah, not the whole thing, but that track. I think meat Loaf qualifies. Wow, you're saying Rocky Horror may becoming scary movie season. I mean there's a lot of story there with us, I mean out there, total, my god, absolutely, meat Loaf not the food. Let's see here. What does that include here? Is usually catch up onions. I mean that means, wow, holy shit, it brings in quite an interesting slate here. Yes, obviously, Rocky Horror Picture Show brings in Wayne's World, Spice World, that's hilarious. Fight Club, Well, everything prings in fight Club if you put your mind to it. Well, it's data. So that's right there. Okay, well look all right, horror qualifies and ww is a DoD DoD driven enterprise. I think we've more than done to day work here. Pap writes, truly the end of an era with the logo of WWE being gone from the old Titan towers. Isn't that the truth?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, so pathetic. I grew up in RhE Island, had family in Pennsylvania, and seeing the giant WWAF logo for my ninety five was always the best part of going to see family on the holidays. I vividly remember yelling and excitement when I saw they finally changed the logo to the Scratch logo because my yelling scared the shit out of my dad while he was driving, and he threatened to beat my ass whenever we stopped at a rest stop. Yes, what a memory, and what a memory when I saw that man that hallowed out just the faint etching of what it used to be on that building. And now it looks so pathetic over there now because just the middle of a neighborhood, you know, used to be so enlivened by the presence of ww what a curiosity, what a local curiosity, And now it's just another glistening tower amidst other glistening towers trying to be Instagram friendly. Yes, Joe writes, hearing the Boss say that Brian Christopher and Jerry Lawler used to sit on Sunday nights eating hot dogs in French fries while watching America's Funniest Home Videos a year before Brian died. Really gotten ooh ooh, that's some genuine sadness to think about. I agree, I didn't remember that. When I read it back, I was like, my God, did he say that? I did no fucking clue. Luke says, any Vinyl collectors come across the wrestling album out in the wild, I always keep an eye out. Definitely not brave enough to ask the guy in there though, And then of course Solar System members step up and say, yeah, you can find it pretty easily here there in the other or I found her here pretty great. I don't want to ask that question though, No, totally. William says, these eighty five eighty six shows really hit me hard. I was eight years nine years old, then grew up forty miles from Peoria, Illinois, and afterthought as an adult, but a world away for a kid. Everyone owned the Super Bowl Shuffle. Yes see, he comes back to this. WW toured through Peoria frequently enough that kid me thought that they were there every week, and my parents just used to let me go meet old Cogan because they were mean. That is pretty funny to think that they're constantly running. We talked about Doctor Demento when we talked about the Wrestling album. Yes, Doctor Demento sort of innovated the idea of the novelty record something that was to be taken half seriously like a weird al and Doctor Demento had a radio show full of songs and acts and curiosities like that. William says, I loved Doctor Demento. I had a record of some of his best bits and songs or sketches that appeared on his show. Twelve year old and me thought fish Heads was the peak of comedy. I guess that was a bit or song. The local PBS ran a block of seventies doctor Who on Saturday night. Coincidentally, when an AM station ran Demento and my friends and I would get together play dungeons, dragons and chugs soda, act like absolute idiots until the sugar rush ended. All like good twelve years old twelve year old at D and D sessions. It would eventually end up as a wrestling match, So the Memories. Chris writes that Hogan ripping up the Goadaffi photo in the Real American Music video was the equivalent to the opening scene in one of the Naked Gun movies where Frank Dreben infiltrated a meeting of America's enemies Coffee. It's a great the first one. It's such a great opening, Astro Phoenix and others beat them up and escaped. Yeah, it pretty much is it pretty much is.
Speaker 1: A lapsed fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio m JP Soro.
Speaker 2: He says, it's a listener to Doctor Demendo's Doctor Demdo syndicated in the seventeen eighties. I heard the Fred Blasty pencil neck geek song a lot. Does this give the boss a utc tie in for Weird the Al Yankovic story starring Daniel Radcliffe as Weird Al. What happened? What's the connection? I guess that Doctor Demento came up on our show about the wrestling album and influenced the genre of the wrestling album belongs to It's it's no, it's not a real connection. No, that's going to be in it. But they want you to experience the Damien Demento show. That's really what they want more than anything else. So the Doctor Demento Show, not Damien Demento. I say, said Damien. I knew that was I am shocked that it took that long for me to do that, that I kept it together that long. On Gene Okerlin in the way he approaches people outside the Slammies in Baltimore, Zach writes, I'm going to teach my son the appropriate way to approach ladies he's interested in. Starts with excuse me, ladies? Can I prevail upon you for a moment? Plenty of dates, I think that, yes, exactly. I think people need to ask to prevail upon somebody more often, and it's Robert who gets the credit for the cost. I think we should be getting El Matador's cameo take on every show, even once he's not on. Yes, no question, very nice. Can I prevail upon you for a moment? Please? I'm sorry? What if I prevail upon momentarily? He says, momentarily, If I could momentarily prevail upon you, excuse me, and I can prevail upon you momentary, shut the funk up with your gimmick. Are you gonna? Are you gonna? Are you gonna prevail on me momentarily? You're gonna prevail on me for a while? Question, what do you mean in a moment or like momentarily right now? Momentarily, if I'm not mistaken, not to be a pedant about it, but momentarily means for a moment, not in a moment, So it doesn't mean that you're gonna we'll be back momentarily. That doesn't make any sense. You do something momentarily. I brushed my teeth, Momentarily, I knocked on the phone. I don't understand how it came to mean it'll happen soon. But I'm sure if you looked it up, it would say that's the definition. But I'm not sure that that's the oldest and original definition anyway. That always throws me when I hear people use it that way. The credit goes to John for the list of wrestling related vinyl over the years. He's got what is it six d and seventy four items that qualify, including the nineteen eighty four IWGP official record. That is to say, yes, New Japan's International Wrestling Grand Prix. There was an official record, and he's got all this cool stuff from Japan. If you want to check it out. It's Bozos, Biceps and Beats on the disccogs website disccogs scogs dot com. So if you look up the Bozos Biceps Beats list, He's got a great running tally of all of these wrestling related albums that have come out over the years, including Yes, There it is, Texas, Bronco, Terry Funk. My God, what a time to be alive. But I want to give shout outs to John and pass that link along for those interested. Yes, and shouts to Phil for reminding us that yes. I think at one point during the wrestling album discussion, you asked, was Goadaffi threatening America's freedom? Why would Hogan rip his picture up in the video? And Phil is keen to remind us that yes, Goaddaffi was allegedly behind the bombing of pan Am flight one O three and eighty eight, which landed on the Scottish town of lockerby killing all two hundred and fifty nine people on board and another eleven Scottish people on the ground. So was he an existential threat to the US? Phil rights and the words of Bruno, Yeah, sure, Zach writes, wrestling is basically the kid who will eat gross things just to get your attention. All right, that's true. Some of these guys are just like that. You know, how can I mutilate myself? Yeah? Well, you know, you got him, you know, what do you want? Are you with Paul here? Without nostalgic glasses on? Hogan's second theme is, in my opinion, vastly superior to real American. He says this some walked out to real American at his own wedding. Boss. There are elements that of it that I really do like. I think it's I think it's it's it's definitely very cool in many ways. I think it's a neat It's a good theme. I I don't know if it has the same punch as real American got it. I mean, real Americans got a very Yeah, that's one of a kind. That's like, yeah, unforgettable stuff. You hear that, I mean, it's exciting even even when he's you know, even when you're reminded that he's a racist and an idiot. Right, So, like you like the thing is you hear that, You hear that those first two those like the first couple of measures of the songs, right and the first chorus, and like you immediately get excited, you like, even and then you remind yourself of what an asshole he is, but you're still excited that first moment, Oh for sure, it's it's a it's a crazy it's a crazy feeling. Yeah, if you can. If the first thing you think about is him kicking ass and come into the ring and pointing at the guy whose number is finally up right, you can't not be electrified by it. But if you think of other things when you hear that song, which is of course understandable that it's not so much. But yeah, just another another example of how it used to be better. We used to be able to have nice things. Remember that, Yes, used to be able to cherish our little heroes. Neil writes, Slammy Awards or Boss the Slaman's Awards. Oh yes, slam It's awards for sure. Dunk definitely great. The Slammins got a dispatch here from our friend Connor that I hope you could uh yes, you could share with the solar system from Belfast. No less so uh come in your way here in just a moment or momentarily momentarily that gorilla would Gene would say, you can prevail upon me momentarily. Thanks for that premier greetings from Belfast. I've been a listener since the early days when a cast was a Measley three hours. Oh my god, Oh, how we grow. During that time, I've went through a listening pattern that I'm sure is pretty familiar to you both. It started that the cast was one of many podcasts, Jericho, Austin, some others. But as these casts grew a bit stale and tired to your left just got better and better. I was a free loader who pays for a podcast, right, But then a strange thing happened. I needed the extra content's right. Hey, look it's there's no way around it. I mean, you have to be a mighty, mighty strong, self involved kind of person to pretend that doesn't creep in. And there aren't that many out there. There. We convert, we convert. Okay, that's one thing you can say. I needed the extra content. First it was the three sixteen, then the ten dollars tier, hang on, an extra ten dollars was for movies. Nope, not for me. But then yeah, but then yeah, a little tasty here or there, and yep, you bastards got me again. Cinemat is now as undeniable as the rest of the content on your street correct system. Yes, I will say this. I've never enjoyed James Bond movies, just not my thing. But the bond Jerney was incredible. The amount of ground you covered was remarkable. One small thing that that stood out for me and then never seen ever again. Episode JP calls out a random bad guy as what calls out a random bad guy's Rick van Dickhead. I forgot that at all, And then a little later in the episode says this is a Geiger counter. It counts Geiger's aweso.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 8: Both of these had me in stitches. Jesus Christ, Oh my god, I have no recollection to say that ship at all. I fucking live for the family few sound by me.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to your Kim would have uprated something. Oh my god, I know it's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. I fucking lived for the personal highlights being Hogan's boo and bit shops. No, and then of course I forgot about that. No, No, and then of course yeah, these segments are so stupid and brilliant and essential. Yes. Yes, then you guys pivot from spending ten minutes on David in the Juice Milkshake. Rachel's were break down of what is wrong with modern world.
Speaker 8: I think it's not the point where nobody looks forward to anything anymore.
Speaker 2: That's right. Everything is instant or it's not worth a shit. We have far too much choice. Convenience has killed the joy of waiting and discovering things. I'm about the same age as you guys. My go to is and always will be, the early nineties W stuff. There's just a comfort in that area over here. All of the available W stuff is now on Netflix, all pay per views, limited, raw and like I says, snackdown s nacc snackdown from years ago, but none of the non W stuff. I was initially a bit pissed at this, but guess what, less choice makes watching easier. My wife and I just had our second child, and I've been lucky enough to get a decent amount of leave off work during the late nights. I've decided to start working through the www pay per views in order, and I've just finished Survivors Wait Summer Slam ninety two. Not having to spend hours scrolling to pick stuff is liberating. Yeah, I can see that. Yeah, I guess too that you know what they've got now, They've got a YouTube page dedicated to WCW. I saw that. It's wonderful, right, idea. Yeah, it is wonderful. The mini Journey of Mine is highlighted. This mini journey of Mine as highlighted my two favorites, Brett Hart and Randy Savage. Bred to me was I was ready for that at all? How think you've ever done that? One? Random's Savage? Just see I always say, I always say, like part of what we do is we just like we say something just to see how it sounds. Like this one hits Yeah, Yeah, you're just standing around making noise each other, like like, vonn, why it's funny? It is? I mean I think you can deny that. If you don't think it's funny, I don't want anything to do with you. Let's put that way. Yeah you don't think it's funny, go fuck yourself. Randon's Savage. Brett to me was at his best and most memorable making other guys look like a million dollars owing a Mania ten is series of matches with diesel Mania double turned with Austin, but the ultimate example in the in the Soma Slam match with Bulldog in his home tune of Leeds Mom Chess alone in England. The fact that Brett could drag that level of a match out of a gassed up pill head is quite frankly ridiculous. And that's and that's why that will always be my favorite Brett match. I know he's a bit earnest and an artist and all and all that, but sweet Jesus, was he not just a fantastic wrestler. His supplex, his goddamn supplex, not quite a snap supplex, not just a standard tu but for something of his own unique lift where his foot came up right. It wasn't just the kind of the snaps too, look just fall down. It was like he lifted it up in a very very brisk way. Yes, very authoritative, like you knew exactly what he was doing. Yeah, it's like he's straining every ounce when he hoisted a mofo a Brett Hart. Question for the co chairs, is Brett the only WW champ to wear long tights and a singlet topay? No, Diesel, Well, he didn't wear tights, though he wore pants. Great question that can think of. Yeah, I think that's it. Vader Vader did mean never was champion, though he was never w OH champion. No, he's the only one, the only w W champ. Of course he's diesel, but he didn't, but he wore the he had the leather pants. But similar gimmick though for a long time. It only just occurred to me. And I can't think of anyone else with that couple. Yeah, I don't think so. Uh well, it depends on the day. Warrior, slaughter, oh fuck, sometimes slaughter wear the black, the black tights anywhere the so sometimes wear pants, but something sometimes you wear pants for there wasn't always tights he wore. He wore a khakis at Messonia seven. Oh, he's coming back from war, right, he's wearing his fucking uh you know, his uh mh, his Iraqi military uniform, his Iraqi military class as he was wearing his Persian golf. Yeah, yeah, the dress, s giar, you're wearing the khakis at Saddam Hussein gave him? Yeah, who gave him the iron chic all those years too? By the way, Sam gave him the slaughter, but iron cheek was wearing him for years before that, from the enemy country of Iran. No less right, how that works. Randon's savage might be the greatest ever when it comes to making the crowd feel I agree, the crowd can the guy can sell like no other. When I think about Randon's career, I don't remember moves, but the way he could make you a viewer feel, And the guy had so many versions in his WWWE stant early Macho Icy title versus Steamers World World Title, Macho, Macho King Long Tight's Macho king off, the Royd's macho on his colorful madness. Randy at WrestleMania seven is every bit as good as Brett Austin and WrestleMania thirteen. How he went from being hated to sympathetic to getting his ass kicked by Sherry to making everyone feel so strongly with the Liz reunion is something else agreed, unbelievable. What it is when you put it that way, it's incredible storytelling. You know, there's no quote versatility, yes, yes, but to be able to do like to sell, I mean the way that that that that post match thing was is really remarkable. It's because the greatest thing to happen in w w ring ever, it's so well done, and it's so well thought out, and it's so nuanced that like it's it's, it's it, but it's done with such ease and such fluidity. But when you really think about it, like the ability you have to really to get that kind of a payoff, Okay, you have to also create that in the match, yeah, because the only way, Like, he can't be a crazy ass uber heel, and he's not in the entire match. He wrestles pretty clean for the most part. A couple cheating things here and there, but like, what makes that moment so great is he did try his damnedest. Yes, he gave five elbows to Warriors, his career on the line, career on the line, the whole thing, and then Sherry comes in and beats the shit out of him. Like it's it's not just that moment, it's everything else, because it's not just a baby face who went out there and did his thing and then lost. It is one of the most hated heels of the time, who you're going to turn around at this moment. It's really phenomenal. It's I always say it, and we said it when we talked about it years and years ago when we covered that show. It's the thing I would hold up to say. You know what, Like you laugh at wrestling as like a high drama, right, yeah you should, But if that's possible I'm sticking around. Yep, if if wrestling, if wrestlers and wrestling can be good enough to create that moment, and it wasn't the biggest money moment in the world, it was a weak house and all that don't care talking about how it resonated at the moment with the people who did show up unbelievable. And I'm and I'm still here waiting for that. In some ways, I'm still trying to get back to a place where I'm like, wow, look what wrestling created. Look at that moment right there. Yeah, yeah, that's just it, you know, that is it. We're all and everybody was to where the emotional weight was, and a crowd that was thinking nothing of Elizabeth when they sat down for that match right from their mind. In the end, it's like, of course it was all about Elizabeth in the end. That's good stuff. Yes, it's just brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Wrestling is stupid nice, it's phony. Yes, it's fake and fraudulent, but when it's that good, it's still worth the pain. So I'm saying exactly, Yep. It goes without saying that modern wrestling will never be as good as the stuff we cut our teeth on, but it can still have little moments of feeling. I'm writing this just after the Elimination Chamber and two things. Yes, the Scene Hill turn is something that legitimately sits alongside the Hogan turn. I can't believe they're finally doing it, and I wish them well. The other thing is that, for the first time since probably Daniel Bryant at Wrestling in thirty, I was excited by wrestling in the chamber match when it was just Punk and Sina, I was genuinely just watching and wanting Punk to win. I wasn't thinking about booking or work rate or star rating. I was just watching and paying attention. And that's it. And that's what's the key in that phrase, you wanted Punk to win. That's what's missing, right is Steaks is rooting interest. Yes, wrestling cannot be as great as it can be unless there is rooting interest from the audience. If the crowd doesn't, we're kind of indifferent to who goes over and doesn't show up, pinning their hopes on one of the two guys winning and one of the two women winning and one of the two teams winning, then while it can be wonderful, it is not pro wrestling at its best. It is not the peak of what pro wrestling can be. It has to be just like any other sport where the stadium is full of mostly people that want to see one person win. If everyone does their job on the way in, that's the dynamic you create. Doesn't mean that person has to win, but that has to be the prevailing energy of the crowd. But if people show up to see two people exert themselves without carrying which of the two actually wins, then you've left something on the table, and that is, by definition, inferior to what it could be if you achieved all that work rate plus that dynamic. Yeah, sorry, no, doesn't mean those two guys who are killing themselves in the ring are doing anything wrong. It just means they're not doing everything. They're not exercising every option the pro wrestling presents to them. It's not their fault, it's the booker's fault. But I don't get a fuck whose fault it is. It's it's inferior. Yep, just gene watching and that's it. Mostly bad. Spare me the press conferences, but when it's good. It allows us to just watch and pay attention, and Matt is becoming harder to do in the world that we live in. This podcast genuinely means a lot to me and has me through a lot of long drives, housework, and some really difficult personal stuff that I'll keep to myself for now. You two are doing God's work. Here's to another ten years. Goddamn right, Connor, goddamn right. Not a joke, not a fucking game, and he adds in Mike excitement, I forgot to add two points one Duke Trosy is on the Mount rushmore of wrestlers with other occupations, greed no question to me for a moment to picture this a man with two loves keeping the streets free from trash and a love for grappling. But how does he keep his hand in the trash game while grappling? Does he pick up shifts whenever the feed is in town? The admin and planning involved must have been tortures. He must have had a pretty good handle, and all the movers and shakers in the trash game could agree more. I mean, how do these guys juggle two occupations? It's hard enough to break into the wrestling business. But to be able to do that and be a plumber, that's I mean exactly skill trade. You know, your moonlighting in a different career, Like, that's a lot. That's a lot to do when you're not working. You're working exactly and too. I beg constant, he says, I beg you do the Savage journey? Boss, Yes, what lots? I mean, Hey, what what you ask for? It's it's uh, it's it's neither here nor there. It's a thing. It happened that it may happen. You know, it's a h it's it's it is what it is. You know, nice non evasive answer here. I love it. I love when you don't get evasive. It's stuff, Boss, that's awesome, he says. If you can do forty hours on set, I expect four hundred on Randy you have, But do you want to pay four hundred We're about to find out it'd be like two, like two fucking years worth of Randy on Randy Angelo, Landy, Liz Baseball, Slim, Jim Royd, Snakes and wo all the rest. Not only does lap solar system need it? Be honest, there's the itch if that is isn't there. You bastards need it too. That being said, we will make our medicine, take our medicine as good as lab stoctors dish it out. Just be careful, be careful what you're playing with, Connor. It's a live wire, my friend. It's a live wire, and you may find yourself jones in for something that asks as much of you as it does of us. A tool belt for Daddy writes. The shittiest part about this is that Codin's will win again at Mania Sena. We'll go on a retribution face turn later this year, and when the belt on December thirty first in Boston, only to be cashed in on by minding the bank winner to Logan Paul book it all right. I like that. That's a kind of specific prediction I can get behind. I did not know that the New Year's Eve SmackDown was in Boston. Very interesting. I didn't know that either I might be a relapsed fucking journey. I'd have to go, Matthew, fucked. Thank you, that's how I pronounce it. Sorry if it's not folked. Thank you very much for for your VIP level tier. Salmon writes, this was like Austin Turning Hill on the Rock and Fred Durst was just hanging out in the ring. That is to say, Travis Scott, that's true, no reason for Ruth. Thank you very much for bumping up your pledge significantly. Reappreciate it. John, a longtime homie John Byam Listen to the Show Forever, says the scene of call was the greatest live call moment to date for him. Incredible. Yeah, it was pretty wild. Yeah. I think we might just have a reason to do that soon. I don't know. Yeah, Richard Garcia, I want to thank you very much for your your increase in pledge, And he writes us he just he just needs more readied access to the to the pls is what it came down to. Those live calls, He says, He's left to the sad without it, He's left to the dull, lifeless, fake commentary of Michael Cole, Wade Barrett, and the god awful pat full of commentary diseases. McAfee. I really don't get the new Wwe have sold out stadiums, mumble wrap, and mainstream reaction videos to WW events. If there's anything faker than a WW performer, it's the internet influencer Cesspool, they seem to have gotten themselves into. He writes, my golden period was the late New Generation here up to the end of the Attitude era. I love seeing in my eyes the young, plucky underdog that everyone loved Sean Michaels beat Brett Heart for the belt at WrestleMania twelve. I love the goofy melodrama of Cain, the Unentertaker's brother, coming back from being burned alive to seek his revenge. And of course I love stone cold Steve Austin not taking crap from his anyone and stomping what holes in people's asses. But back to the current product, I cannot bring myself to not check in on it, and because I feel at some point it will get better. WW builds to great moments, sure, but not like they used to. I haven't been hyped up for rajsh SmackDown since twenty fourteen, which led to Daniel Bryan winning the w Championship in Triple AH and the opener and Randy Orton Batista in the main event. When I originally watched Elimination Chamber, it was dull and mundane up until the closing moments. Of the over three hour show. Even though I'm up in the current storylines, the commentary didn't do anything to make me care. A week after Elimination Chamber, I saw that my three sixteen tier blessed me with the laps fan commentary of said p l e. I immediately fired up the peacocks and started the same damn show I just watched. To get the lapsed perspective on the slog of a show, Suddenly everything was enhanced. At the time, the lackluster match of Tiffy and Trish vers Naya and Cadence was suddenly one star more. If the lapsed fan can make the most boring match on a card doubly better with just commentary, you have my vote. I'll be upping my pledge later this month to get the earliest lapsed fan commentary of WrestleMania forty one, because I love wrestling and I need real wrestling fans opinions on fake wrestling matches. Thank you for seeing a Mania. That's a good fucking way to look at it. Right there. You're gonna We've been saying that too. You're gonna anyway, you know what I mean, You're gonna watch it anyway, so you might as well fucking mean it. You know, you might as well enjoy it with us instead of just suffering. You know, we're in the same position as you. And further, we're doing it not only for people that want to sync up enjoyable commentary or or commentary that speaks to who they are as fans. We do it for people that don't even want to bother watching the video feed and just fucking listen to us take them through it and paint pictures for them and make the comments they would make if they were sitting around with their friends watching a p l E. Right, yeah, yeah, really quickly from our to have our as a first initial here, I posted the community threads on Patreon, but assume CoA chairs and have time to be scrolling over there. So two brief silly connections to white Whale films that departed. We've talked about the departed, boss, you still need a connection, right, yes, he says, I'm hazy on if Mania guests count. I'd certainly watch any Raycomb's film appearances. But Mark Wahlberg filmed the pre tape vignette for Wrestlminginia thirty eight in Dallas. They are on Saturday. Who's the first famous face we see a night one of the greatest night in sports, Dorchester's own face and vo for two minutes Boston was he there? Was he there? Person? I don't know if we can find instance of help being at a show accounts it would need I mean, if you got involved with something, you know, that's always the key guest hosts for RAW. That's a guest, it's it's it depends. It's a it's a it's a come and go thing. It defends depends on how involved they get. I see, like if they actually get involved in like a skirmish or something like that. Why do I have the feeling I've seen Mark Wahlberg like a in a w ring, like me too, fighting somebody. I don't know why I feel that way about fighting, but definitely like acting tough backstage right, I would think it would be in that era. It just depends on how It just depends on how involved they are, because you know, some of them no, no, no, some of them some of them know because they don't really care. They kind of like the fact that it looks exactly like John Cena. I mean, I know they could be brothers. Seriously and on GoldenEye to Mina. You know, WWE's Tamena, Jimmy Snook's daughter claims, seemingly in earnest on an episode of Xavier Woods YouTube video game channel from nine years ago, that she went into labor while playing GoldenEye sixty four. Yeah, no, no, good, good, nice. Those are unique ones. I appreciate it. I do appreciate that, but you know, we gotta find a way to get that. The padded, Absolutely, the podded. Jennifer Guessel. We want to thank you very much for your pledge. Andrew says Polsky, call off Kowalski and Pantera the four borschmen. I don't disagree, Bruno, thanks very much for the pledge. I think we shouted you out earlier, but what's what's the difference? Medio Drive, I want to thank you very much for joining the executive producer to here nicely. Don Daniel Beasley jumping up to that E P tr L T I d C. Thank you very much for your generous pledge. Okmar jav Ed, thank you very much for boosting your contribution to the coffer is. Adam Osborne, thank you very much for lifting us up with your renumeration. Ryan writes to us, I think Sid was really met up. He named his son Frank right after Vienna's. They're Frank's franken beans. He writes, nothing says intimidating like a man named Frank vishes. So he's really even like he's like he's like, you know, when he when he gets upset at Frank for not delivering the Vienna's, he's basically saying, why aren't you taking care of your brothers? You know, go to Frank ki the fucking Vienna's. It's like, why aren't you taking care of your driving, your driving your your siblings to school? The correct question, Corey Barnett, thanks for the pledge. James writes, I snp seen his entrance into the match with the watch along, and this is why I put down that scratch. Every month, Boz, it pays to be part of those premium live calls. That's all I think that's coming across. That's huge, Zach Wright. Huge. One of the reasons I can't watch wrestling anymore is the fans trying to be a part of the show and acting like they've been trained to act, making fake dramatic faces and reactions, which we know is fake because I watch wrestling from all the eighties and nineties without anyone looking like these fools. Wrestling's fake and these people are fakeer than fake. I think he nails it. He says they watch movies like YouTube, people recording their reactions. Mmmm, you know what I mean. It's true. We don't see you know, we just watched the fucking European rampage. Nobody's nobody's got the camera in mind when they're reacting with absolute jubilation to what's happening exactly. Marty f thanks very much for your pledge. A Panda, thank you very much, and we'll come in. Ben Ounsley could see you, my friend. Thanks for the pledge. Jack Tracy, thanks for the increased denomination. Ethan Allen, thank you very much for the cake the old friend pav Wrestling gives. Want to thank you very much for getting back into the circle and for the support. Ronnie Cathy, thank you very much for your generous donation. Jesse Harrison, thank you very much for joining us on Patreon. Same to you, Ali Scott Studdy, always a rock solid supporter. Thanks for your recent increase. Evan Grenado, thank you very much for the cake. We appreciate it. Christopher Blow. Great to have you. Morgan Cameron, thanks very much for the cake. Darren Hughes, I want to thank you very much for your pledge on Patreon. Same to you, Nicholas Chippara and budakan Ace who also came through Strong Thomas d had to elevate that pledge. He had to qualify himself for VIP treatment. Mister fake entertainment too rites. According to Wikipedia, Haystax Calhoun was confined to a double wide trailer. I picture an old brown and flower print couch, warned to Hell that he never moved from Gilbert Grape's mom style. You picture the same. Yeah, I guess so sure. I enjoy that. I enjoy the Yeah. That's funny, right, funny to think that's a movie. That's a movie, definitely, Haystacks callown movies definitely a thing and our own. Haystacks writes The boss Man deserves a sag Award for his lynch impersonation and has discussed previously. Humans require boundaries in order to thrive, he writes, but humans also have a need to press against those boundaries so that they can expand their fields of exploration, and that's precisely what's happening here, he writes in the Lynch tribute. This is the pinnacle, he says of UTC thus far, Wow, no slink acclaim, and hall Cogan follows it up with while it's a shame that it took his death to get here, I absolutely cherish lapsed David Lynch