Speaker 1: It is June seventh, twenty twenty five before we look at a look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to, these during our revolutionary period. Seventeen seventy six, Richard Henry Lee of Virginia offered a resolution to the Continental Congress stating that these United Colonies are and a right ought to be free and independent states. They would declare so not even a month later, eighteen ninety two, in this state, Homer Plessi, a creole of color, was arrested for refusing to leave a whites only car of the East Louisiana Railroad. How times have changed. The sovereign state of Vatican City formerly came into existence as the Italian Parliament ratified the latter Entreaty in Rome. The year was nineteen twenty nine. Thirteen years later on this state, during the Battle of Midwas it ended a decisive victory for American naval forces over the Japanese Let's see. Nineteen seventy six, New York Magazine published an article by journalist Nick Kohne entitled the Tribal Rights of the New Saturday Night, Inspiring Saturday Night Fever. The nationwide disco craze was On nineteen seventy nine, Texas became the first date to recognize June teenth as an official state holiday. Now it's a national holiday. Graceland Elvis Presley's Memphis mansion opened to the public as a tourist destination this date in nineteen eighty two, five years after Elvis had passed. And on this date, just four years ago, Maggie Murda and her son Paul, from a prominent South Carolina legal family, found shot and killed in their family's property. Alex Murda, the patriarch, would be found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison. He still says he's not guilty. Imagine that. Filmmaker James Ivory is ninety seven today, mentioned Tom Jones. Liam Neeson is seventy three. He'd be on the show today, but he's pursuing kidnappers who have stolen his daughter again. See l A. Reed, the great music producer turned sixty nine. Former Vice President Mike Pence is sixty six today. Dave Navarro, the musician and TV host I guess erstwhile TV host is fifty eight. Carl Ervin, the actor Bear Grillis, which just one of the best names in the TV business. Bear Grillis is fifty one. Hall of Famer Allan Irison, Liam Wood, Sir, some course during the morning, pull up the famous Alan iverson cut about practice. It's one of my favorites. It's as good as Jim Moore as playoffs at your Comedian Bill Hayter is forty seven, Michael Sarah thirty seven. Let's see. NFL running back Christian McCaffrey is twenty nine, still digging in. If it's your birthday, I hope it is the best day you could possibly imagine. You get to spend it with the people you love, doing the things you love to do. And that's truly my wish for you. Weather in sports just ahead as we get you going on another Saturday Morning edition, sons Lynnette sadly more in a moment on seven hundred WLW. Hey, we've already had some rain and more on the way on and off today. Hi, about eighty two, A chance of early showers tonight mostly cloudy, A chance of showers and storms Sunday. Does this sound vaguely familiar to you? It's back eighty No no all day washouts. Okay, just the chances of rain and thunderstorms persist as we go through the weekend. Monday too high. Then around seventy six it is sixty five.
Speaker 2: Now seven hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 1: Liam Tomlinson returns after a week's hiatus. What did you do last week? Liam? I'm curious.
Speaker 3: I was in the windy city of Chicago, beautiful town. Were you there for the Cubs Red Series or yeah? My first time seeing the Red legs on the road. I Wrigley Field felt like a movie, like a fever dream.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll tell you the truth. My first Major League game was at Wrigley Field when I was I don't know, seven or eight years old, and it was a field trip. We lived in the West Burbs of Chicago, Land and as a seven eight year old kid walking into that space, you're like in a different universe, and I guess into adulthood. It's we have the same kind of reaction the first time you step in and you see the ivy on the walls and everything else. So it was cool, right, Oh yeah, it was magical.
Speaker 3: But I was walking in and there's a school bus full of kids coming in front of me.
Speaker 1: Now that was me and I was that was me, That was me sixty years ago or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, little Gary Jeff Walker was in the back of the bus and you look out the window and this kid. They're all Cubs fans got their Cubs get on they go. Elie de la Cruz is my favorite baseball player. How about that nice? Too bad you couldn't bring home a series win. The Reds kind of like suspended after last night's downpour.
Speaker 1: A great American ballpark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Red Legs, they tried to get the game in the last two innings they were playing. It was just pouring down rain. The infield's one of the wettest infields I've ever seen. The game was suspended prior to the start of the seventh inning last night. The game will be resuming this afternoon at two ten. The regularly scheduled game will begin approximately forty minutes after the suspended game ends, but not prior to four to ten PM Eastern Standard Time. Inside Pitch with Ken Bruw will begin at one. Catch all the Reds action all day on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: And I will tell you before you continue that I've been looking at the hour by hour and it looks like no problem to get the two ten start in and we'll probably be able to get the other game in today as well, So continue what else you got.
Speaker 3: And it's Tyler Stevenson bobblehead Day, so if you want to get a bobblehead today, you probably should change your plans to get there a little earlier because they will be given away when the gates open at twelve forty.
Speaker 1: By the way, are you planning on making any of these Savannah bananas appearances next weekend?
Speaker 3: I do not, but it's such an interesting concept. I have people that hate on it, but people hate on things for no reason in this world, and they'll let people enjoy things right.
Speaker 1: NHL Playoffs last night, the Florida Panthers time away with a win in Edmonton. Not necessarily surprising last night was pandemonium in Edmonton.
Speaker 3: Home team Oilers trailed four to three for the entire third period, but with eighteen seconds remaining, Corey Perry tied up the match four to four to force overtime in front of the home crowd. One overtime period was not enough, and finally in the second overtime period, the Panthers found the back of the net to tie the series one to one before heading back home to Florida for the next two matches.
Speaker 1: NBA Playoffs continue tonight with Game two. I believe it goes tomorrow with the finals.
Speaker 3: Jo spread out a little more and they were trying to get all the other series up quick, but the finals will be tomorrow at eight.
Speaker 1: The Pacers look to take a two zero series lead.
Speaker 3: The Pacers led for point three seconds total in Game one.
Speaker 1: Last shot by Halliburton.
Speaker 3: Haliburtn is now five for six in his career with game winning shot attempts under five seconds.
Speaker 1: Caliburno's clutch player ever. Halliburton has been stop it with the most clutch player ever. Halliburton has been more successful in these playoffs than they were in Iraq.
Speaker 3: Anyway, anything else USC three to sixteen is tonight. Two title fights. Had liked the main event Morob and Sugar Sean O'Malley the bantamweight title rematch.
Speaker 1: I love it, Thank you, sir. It's five forty eight.
Speaker 2: You are tuned to news Radio seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 1: Today is Alan Iverson's birthday. You remember Allan Iverson are.
Speaker 4: As easy to sum it up when you just talk about practice. We sitting in here, I supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game. We're talking about practice, not a game, not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last.
Speaker 1: Not the game.
Speaker 4: We're talking about practice, man, I mean, how silly is that? Man, We're talking about practice. I know I was supposed to be there. I know I was supposed to leave by example. I know that, and I'm not shoving it aside. You know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do, honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man, What are we talking about practice? We're talking about practice, man, We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game.
Speaker 1: We're not talking about the game, Liam, I just like to get your thoughts to someone who enjoys sports. You're an athletically oriented individual. You play a lot of hoops. How important is practice? After all?
Speaker 3: I've never been called an athletically oriented individual, but I appreciate the compliment. But I mean practice is fundamental to the game. I mean especially working with kids all day. They all think they're Kobe Bryant or Steph Curry just because they get a couple of shots up.
Speaker 1: You got to practice beyond them. Here's the thing Liam works. Is it Boys and Girls Club? Yeah? Okay, so you do that. That is your day job through the week. And how is it in the summer. Is it any different in the summer than it is during the school year?
Speaker 3: Drastically different, vives, it's long summer days. Usually they got me that school all day and it's an after school program during the school year, but like during the summer, we're the school program technically speaking, such so you.
Speaker 1: Were responsible for the education of tomorrow's citizens. That's scary. The world is a great hand out. So I talked to Lynette, and apparently our friend Lynette, who sings usually a hymn or a gospel song about this time every Saturday morning, is stuck in her room and her phone can only dial mine. Would you say it was like a ladybug phone that kids have or whatever. So her phone can only dial my phone. And of course it's difficult, if not impossible, and surely not optimal for me to put her on the air on my cell phone, although we have done that before, and hold it up to the mic so you can hear what Lynette is cooking. So unless she can get someone at Florence Park Care, they're on Burlington Pike, which I'm sure is a wonderful facility to wheel her wheel the actual phone that she usually calls us on. I don't know that we'll hear from her. I still am holding out hopes because of Saturday morning without Lynette. I don't know, it looks like it. Let's put her on just I don't even have my phone app. Just go ahad, hello, Hello, Lynnette, you're on the air.
Speaker 5: Oh we're on the air. Bybie Glatt.
Speaker 6: I like to stop.
Speaker 7: Prayer.
Speaker 5: Change is sang ooly prayer, Change is thang. It can move Mountain came off to the flame without a blame. Prayer change his things in my soul, in my soul.
Speaker 1: Amen Amen, And you're right, prayer does change things. As I was praying that you would find somebody to get you a phone so you could call. In fact, I was just talking about you, and then miraculously, praise God, praise God, you were there.
Speaker 5: Pray you got to I'm on the AIRM on there and I really was on the air.
Speaker 1: You really really were. Thank you, Jesus, Thank you Jesus. Absolutely Well, how is it. How's everything going, dear?
Speaker 5: It's great? Yeah, I gained down three pounds?
Speaker 1: Well is that good or bad?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: I was one pt three now one pity six. I lost a lot of weight and I gained a lot of weight.
Speaker 1: That's usually the way it works, the old diet. Yo yo.
Speaker 5: A woman my age is post a weigh one sixty seven, and I went up to one seventy one. And then I slowed down on what it was eating and I dropped down on one fifty three of it just ain't good. So I got three pounds. I'm getting there.
Speaker 1: The important thing is that you're happy with where you're at. Are you happy with where you're at? Linette?
Speaker 5: Because I also worth two hundred, I was a big old girl.
Speaker 1: Well you know we're not into body shaming here.
Speaker 5: I am. I couldn't put the wheelchair. My bother's too bad.
Speaker 2: I said that my back.
Speaker 5: He said, yes, ma'am. I bought is going and it's gone. Thank you Jesus. I had to eat last.
Speaker 1: I love you so much, Thank you, David, love you too. That's time. It's starting that way for sure of breaking back on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's you, the Capitol one bank guy.
Speaker 1: That's what they call me. I get a selfie?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Sure thing say no fees or minimums on your Capital one checking account.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a keeper.
Speaker 1: So where are you heading?
Speaker 9: I'm off to spread the good news. The Capital one helps people keep more money in their wallet with no overdraft fees.
Speaker 2: You're the best Capital one bank guy.
Speaker 9: Hey mind if I get a selfie? Sure say Capital One? What's in your wallet?
Speaker 10: Terms of flying see Capitol one dot com slash bank for details.
Speaker 1: Capital One and a member FDIC. What does summertime in the Ohio River.
Speaker 6: Into?
Speaker 1: The first official hour of the Saturday Morning Edition For this Saturday, June seventh, twenty twenty five. I'm Gary Jeff Walker, and aren't you glad that you're not eight minutes after the hour? And uh, I think it's time. There's so much going on and I want to tell you about this morning and we'll get to it in due time, but I think it's time to talk to my friend Dave from Harrison. You remember Dave? Hi Dave?
Speaker 6: Good morning, Gary, Jeff? How are we doing today good?
Speaker 1: You know, when I die, I've decided I'm going to leave my body to science fiction.
Speaker 6: Science fiction.
Speaker 1: If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy your friends? How young? How young? Can you die of old age? Dave?
Speaker 6: That's a good question.
Speaker 1: So what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Well, Jared, Jeff, why did the lawyer what did the lawyer what? I'm sorry, I can't screw it up all right?
Speaker 11: What did the lawyer name his daughter?
Speaker 1: What did the lawyer name his daughter?
Speaker 6: Dave Sue.
Speaker 1: Right, this is not this is not starting well at all.
Speaker 6: What does a panda fry? It's bamboo in I didn't know.
Speaker 1: That you could fry bamboo, but it sounds like something i'd want to try. What did the panda fry? Is bamboo in.
Speaker 6: A pan? Uh?
Speaker 1: This is getting worse. This is getting worse.
Speaker 11: Jeff, Dave, even here before you've seen we got a bunch of trees in our backyard. Yeah, and uh, I don't trust them, Jeff, I just don't trust.
Speaker 1: Why do you not trust the trees?
Speaker 6: Ah? They're shady.
Speaker 12: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management or advertisers. Of seven hundred WLW or his parent company iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, your stomach churn, or we have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just coming back to Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: You alrighting creeping up on Italian Fest in Newport, and that's one of the things I want to address this morning and will in due time. That is next week Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I can't remember if this is twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight thirty, but we will nail all those facts down and let you know because it's one of my favorite annual celebrations around here, because I am honored every year to be a part of it in the opening ceremonies, which will occur next Thursday night. They're at Festival Park or whatever they're calling it these days, right below the levee in Newport along the Great Ohio River. Let's now turn our attention to our our receptive friend, old Radio Rick. Good morning, sir, how are you?
Speaker 13: Good morning? I am receptive, How are you.
Speaker 1: Well, better to be a receptive than deceptive, sir. And how are we coming in on whatever radio you're listening on.
Speaker 13: Well, I'm going to claim it's five by five, I guess, given any moment in time, et cetera. Actually I had one of my outdoor antennas come down and in this set needs one. But it's a nineteen twenty eight Magnavox. The model is eaten et O N and it's a battery set five tube TRF AM radio with a single tuning control, which was actually a big deal in nineteen twenty eight, and in a beautiful two tone cabinet that Most of these TRFs that were the wooden cabinets and had either one, two or three shooting dials had a lift top lid, but this one, the radio chass he pulls out like a drawer, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that Magna Box has been making radios that long or anything.
Speaker 13: Yeah, their big start out, which is actually thank you for the segue. They actually started out making radio horns, the big horn speakers, and they were one of the leaders of that back right around nineteen twenty and and absolutely beautiful logos with their you know, with the flying lady with their name on it and whatever. And by the way, excellent horns too. But so this one actually does work with an external horn speaker. And so I'm going to use that to jump to two different catalog entries. The first, now here's somebody who is nothing like me, because obviously he's a complete loss of words. Artistic, two toned mahogany cabinet. Low price that will give you a pleasure for a lifetime. That's a little creepy.
Speaker 1: Actually, it sounded like a bath house or something, or a massage parlor.
Speaker 13: And anyway, that low price of one hundred and fifteen dollars, Uh, yeah, that's great. That's about twenty one to fifty today. And that's that's two thousand and fifty.
Speaker 6: Of course.
Speaker 13: The other thing I wanted to call out was that is I guess the word for the day is disturbing. The Magnavaux Company of Oakland, California, in Chicago, Illinois, first speaker, first Dynamic, the Magnavox Dynamic speakers. There is a picture of somebody who absolutely one is in blackface.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, with.
Speaker 13: The face presented on to the front of the Magnavox horn with the word realism scribbled across it. Okay, irony, let's count the ways. No doubt, I'm gonna close that window because it's just disturbing to look at. I'm assuming it's Al Jolson.
Speaker 1: Right, well, it was nineteen twenty eight, that would make sense. Yeah, the original, the original jazz singer, the first talkie which was a year later.
Speaker 13: Oh my gosh, realism.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 13: Really, that's the word you went with?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Great, no doubt.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 13: How's life, buddy?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know what, Everything's fine. I'm looking forward to perhaps talking to you in a few weeks. We kind of discussed this already a little bit about the Great Radio Bonfire of nineteen nineteen twenty.
Speaker 13: Nine, twenty nine.
Speaker 6: That's all right.
Speaker 1: I didn't know there was a great radio bonfire, and you enlightened me a little bit. But we'll expound on that. I wanted to tell you and remind you again that keepsake. Kim Rice is bringing the book from the anniversary party today to the bar in Newport. So if you can't make it, I understand. I did kind of mention it last week. But today between two and four o'clock, if you were at the anniversary party back in March for this show, and you would like to see all of the wonderful faces again, it'd be a lovely time for you to visit six twenty eight Mama Street there in Newport. And if you'd like to know more about mister Washburn and his just remarkable array of fantastic radios Old Radio Rick at Gmail, WW.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 1: Sports of all sorts. I say, Liam Tomlinson, tell me about you. Say you were wrong at the last second, So tell me what you were wrong about. I was right. Texas won the Women's College World Series.
Speaker 6: Right, I was.
Speaker 1: I was asking about women's college softball and you said the Texas won. The Longhorned Ladies won. And are you sure about this now?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 3: In game three? I thought I saw this last night, and then I looked it up and it said there was game three. But last night was Game three against the Texas Tech Red Raiders and they won. But did they win the championship?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They won Game three and te best of three in the Women's College Softball World Series.
Speaker 1: So the deep in the heart of Texas, the ladies are celebrating. Either way, there would be a Championship in Texas. But yes, the Longhorns are the celebratory victors of the women's college world What about men's college baseball that's still continuing? Yeah, is the super Regional Game ones.
Speaker 3: Beginning yesterday, North Carolina topped Arizona eighteen to two. Louisville beat Miami eight to one, Oregon State beat Florida State five to four, Coastal Carolina beat Auburn seven to six. Tons of games this afternoon. Louisville and Miami at eleven to start the day in North Carolina, Arizona at noon, Murray State, the Racers go off against Duke and the Durham Super Regional. West Virginia and LSU face off at two Auburn Coastal Carolina Game two at three pm. Texas Tennessee and Arkansas at five pm in the Fall Super Regional. There's some bad blood from the last time they met in the College Baseball World Series.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 3: Just coaches chewing out, players just got a love of the game. UTSA, The road Runners and UCLA face off in the Los Angeles Super Regional at seven in Oregon State and Florida State or in the night cap tonight.
Speaker 1: Well, the people that get paid more to play baseball were at it last night at GABPR Reds against the visiting Diamondbacks, and they never finished the game because of the rain.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Three to three is the suspended score at the start of the seventh inning last night. That was suspended to do the last night's storm. The game will be resuming this afternoon at two ten, and the regularly scheduled game for it this afternoon will begin approximately forty minutes after the suspended game ends, but not prior to four to ten PM. Inside Pitch with ken Brew will begin at one. Catch all the Reds action all day long on Home of the Reds seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Here you go, I just enters curious your thoughts on Aaron Rodgers signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't at a certain point, you have to just rebuild your team. You can't have journeyman quarterback. They had old man Russell Wilson. You have old man Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: You have a good enough defense and Mike tom Win's a good enough coach, but you're settling for mediocrity. And I'm not a proponent of tanking. But Aaron Rodgers, he's an old man. It's time he's not Tom Brady legacy wise, I mean, Aaron Rodgers has ring he was an MVP, but right that was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: There is a chance, there is a good chance that the Bengals will not face the prospect of getting beaten by Aaron Rodgers's quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers, because Aaron Rodgers may be in traction after the first game. I'm just guess. It's six twenty six on a Saturday morning. We'll talk more Aaron Rodgers with Moe a little bit later on this morning. I've not heard from Steve Simon, but we're expecting a pithy phone call in a great commentary here in a few minutes plus the gang at Brookies in Ripley right after the news. There have been some developments in Brown County that are just they're approaching mind blowing because of what is happening right now in that corner of our world. And we will we will get the full details from the Green Hornet, Doug and possibly Darren Brookie himself in just a few moments as we continue on this Saturday morning edition. Gary Jeff with you in six twenty seven on seven hundred WL the correction on air from this this previous sportscast when you claim that journalism was on pace to win a triple crown with a victory in the Belmont, Journalism did not win the Kentucky Derby. You understand that, right, sir.
Speaker 3: I'd like to take the time out of my day here on June seventh, twenty twenty five and apologize for my reckless sports analysis on horse race. And clearly I'm an idiot, and I've been just telling people for weeks that there's a triple crown chase going on. And I think I had a friend correct to me, and I just ignored him. Like last week, this previous week, the horses just look so similar I couldn't tell them apart.
Speaker 1: You sound so much like Jake Tapper and Carne John Pierre right now. I just can't even believe it.
Speaker 3: I mean, we all knew behind the scenes, but now it's obvious, right, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the correction. We put it right here on the front page, not buried in the back. And now we turn to our friend Steve Simon at Ohio. Hello, Steve, how are you.
Speaker 7: I'm doing fine? Is that what we call poor journalism?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, it's disinformation at the highest level or lowest.
Speaker 7: Speaking of Hitler's homies, we're at it again this week. I'm looking at a shirtless beer belly Dennis in a Boulder, Colorado doing the jew hatred jig, holding a flame thrower in either hand, and I'm thinking, Hey, dude, we still like to see a little class in our homicidal maniacs. Maybe you could try a Larry the Cable Guy's shirt that hides forty five years of fast food that didn't pass through your gut fast enough. Lord, we live in a country that welcomes crazy that has hit every major institution of the land, from universities to the pulpit to the highest seats of government.
Speaker 6: We have now reached Mao's.
Speaker 7: Third stage of guerrilla warfare, where it's down and dirty Mano Almano in the streets. Here in Columbus, We've got a twenty one year old career sociopath who has shot not one, but two police officers while he adds yet another gun related felony to an impressive resume. Three years ago. This guy came before a judge on a domestic disturbance charge with a gun specification, and the robed wanderer on the bench gave him what she calls community correction. Let's parse that one, shall we You are sending him back to the hood, where the hood will correct his bad behavior, apparently not, which brings us to today's rant talking dirty. It is astonishing how bad communications has gotten in this country. If you're going to bring down a culture, what better place to start than with language. Socialist Democrats like to lie outright, probably because of their contempt for their own constituents. When Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer calls a voter ID proposal quote a return to Jim Crow laws, he expects every black Democrat to oppose a law that would make illegal a practice that dilutes the power of the franchise exercised by all legal voters. He thinks, you're stupid. But I'm also listening to conservatives who are guilty of the first cousin of lying exaggeration. Perhaps it's due to conservatives being God fearing, positive people who strongly held faith gives them the hope that things will automatically get better if they just say it. And pray for it. Brother Donald Trump calls the budget proposal the big beautiful bill. It's big, it's a bill. It ain't beautiful. Let's remember there are two things you don't want to see being made, sausage and laws. Conservative talk host Mike Gallagher says the bill saves money. No, it does not. It only reduces the anticipated addition to the national debt. The whole word digging is excuse me, the whole word digging is now two trillion dollars more. We're not kicking the can down the road. We are whistling past the graveyard. Poor grammar drives out good grammar, and it's not just among the poorly educated. So called professional communicators promote destruction of the language. Note how the expression where it's at is now something of a rite of passage if you want to sound cool. The trouble with putting where and at together is that they mean the same thing. So it's a redundancy. And you managed to repeat yourself in just three words. I'm bombarded with commercials bragging about absolutely free gifts and the exact same price as the competition. I'm not impressed. The copywriters have college degrees are teachers teaching anymore. The Ivory Towers now have student evaluations that are used to determine everything from professor's salaries, to their job ratings to their longevity. With the inmates now running the asylum, you certainly don't want to piss off the students. Yet we've criticized great inflation for half a century. Fifty years ago, when I was teaching, the older faculty railed against freshman remedial programs. Those courses were designed to teach college students what they should have learned earlier and did not. And you don't flunk students. Colleges make money based on.
Speaker 6: Butts and seats.
Speaker 7: Students now graduate without the ability to think rationally. Take the connotation of words that can imply something that you never intended. I'm hearing broadcast commercials where the announcer says, let us do this, or that you're begging for somebody's business, how about we will. That's promising what you will do in exchange for the customer's hard earned money. It's powerful, it's a commitment.
Speaker 6: It is not wishy washy.
Speaker 7: Let's stop talking dirty and clean up our a.
Speaker 6: That's the ramp for today.
Speaker 7: Gary Jeff well read.
Speaker 1: Well worth my time. Thank you so much. Brother Ray in Loveland? Are you there, Ray Scott?
Speaker 6: Good morning, Gary, Jeff, good morning. How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 1: I'm not intending on talking dirty after that rant.
Speaker 6: You know what this actually, I'll segue right into his awesome information there. I want to celebrate just simple, humble service and greatness experienced yesterday by my family and I. We were in the close of Brookwood there in Oakley. I think I don't all want to go there, but there was a restaurant that serves great chicken sandwiches and they've been closed for about three weeks for a remodel, and they're closed on Sundays, and we happen to go in there. We had the park at a park lot next door to walk in because he couldn't get in the parking lot. And I'm going to tell you what. Everything was fantastic. But here's the great here's the greatest thing. But there were a gentleman working in the dining room who his name was Nick. He introduced herself everyone, and he was taking care of everything that you needed, like you were going into a restaurant being waited on. I mean better than that, even, right, even ask me carry Jeffrey he could take the trash off the table. I'm just I don't know. It was astounding to me the level of humility. And he shared with me this, and this is the greatest part of it that while they were closed for three weeks remodeling, that they had paid their employees to go and work at Matthew twenty five and our daily Bread to volunteer during the interim while they were closed.
Speaker 1: That's phenomenal.
Speaker 6: I is absolutely blown away. I mean, and the trash cans opening up when you wave your hand in front of the steel get me. But I don't know. Chick fil A has just taken service. You know, the Bible says the first to the last, and the last will be first. And I want to tell you what, Nick, you're listening and I don't know that he does, but Nick, you are first in our book.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 6: There we go, God bless you, my brother. Have a great day here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Spreading some sunshine this morning courtesy of Fantastic Service into Another Hour the Saturday Morning edition for this Saturday, June to seventh, twenty five, where the reporting is almost always accurate except where it comes to triple crowns. Jeez, seven minutes past the hour, carry Jeff with you and our friend, our environmental engineer extraordinary or triple E, Steve Shulte, is standing by to tell me that the polar that the polar ice caps are growing, or polar ice is growing. Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 15: Got it's good morning, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 8: This comes from.
Speaker 15: The CO two Coalition dot org. To see a two Coalition dot org from their newsletter this past Thursday, June fifth, headline Polar.
Speaker 8: Sea ice increases.
Speaker 15: The two Coalition Science Research Associates bj Rajah reports on recent revelations that both Arctic and Antarctic sea ice are growing, not shrinking as claimed by the quote unquote experts out there. Both the North and South Poles are defying expectations piling on more isis despite as reported that exact exaggerated headlines on quote unquote record breaking global heat. Well, actually it's global warmth, which is great for man in the post twenty ten era. September minimum extent of Arctic ice that's the North Pole occurred in twenty twelve, which was the lowest since satellite measurements.
Speaker 8: Began in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 15: The Gary jeff Man has been around for hundreds, if not millions of years. The Earth is six million years old, and we only have forty five years of accurate ice data for the North and South Pole due to a satellite, and that's what everything's being based on. But anyway, since twenty twelve, ice has been increasing or oscillating well above that year's mark. But also things are happening in the Antarctics. Temperature and ice coverage are refusing to cooperate with predictions of doom. Data from the Vostok and Concordia stations in East Antarctica indicate extremely cold temperatures in May with the minus with minimums of minus think of this are one six point six degrees fery height Concordia on May twelfth.
Speaker 8: As recently.
Speaker 15: Three Concordia recorded one of its lowest temperatures of the current decade, a brutal mind as one hundred.
Speaker 6: And seventeen point eight well.
Speaker 15: Similarly, West Antarctica's third station likely has an all time low of almost minus fifty degrees, So I guess West Antarctica is warmer than East Antarctica. These numbers may not be surprising, but they are in tune with the unpredictability of climate and nature in general. What the stat of shows, Gary Jeff. Things are not as straightforward as our opm addicted and a crisis obsessed scientists make it out to be. The climate system is complex. Science is not settled. Our understanding of climatic dimic. Let's say this again, climatic dynamics is in its empathy to suggest that changes, whatever these direction, polarizes predict The to tesstory is infantile, and I would say also dangerous because how many millions, if not billions, of people are worried about catastrophic man made climate change. It does does not exist.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not worried about it, all right.
Speaker 15: Well, you talked about, like we talked about many times, Gary Jeff, in the history of mankind, cold kills, warmths, man.
Speaker 1: Flourishes absolutely every single day, and the polar ice is growing. May maybe that'll be the next cause this level because of man made climate change, the polar ice is going to cause another ice age and we'll all be trapped under I don't know, Thank you, Steve. I do know this, and this is something worried about. As a ratepayer of Duke Energy in Kentucky from my friend Janine Belle Smith. Duke Energy, Kentucky proposed rate increases in natural gas sixteen zero point eight percent of approximately a monthly increase of fourteen dollars and twenty eight cents per one per fifty one ccf. That's one hundred cubic feet is ccf. So your natural gas rates are going up in northern July second is the date to watch for the hit on your wallet. Thank you, Duke Energy in Kentucky. What our fitness go our trainer, our biohacker back after an absence of quite quite a bit of time here, but he's been traveling around the country. He has some new projects he'd like to introduce this morning, and it's great to have him back on the show. Roco Costelano, Good morning. What's going on man, guys?
Speaker 6: Walker?
Speaker 1: How are you doing?
Speaker 6: So? I'm doing there are a few projects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm doing great. Now you're you're here in town. You travel around the country and you help in the recovery tents at Spartan races around the country. We've talked about that before, but you're actually here for a Spartan race in Cincinnati.
Speaker 16: Right yeah, right there, at right here, at a perfect North Slopes, there's one of the largest Spartan races right now is going a hunt.
Speaker 8: There's the people doing the Ultra, which is a like a fifty k and then a and then the beast is today.
Speaker 1: And so explain to me real quickly what what is the beast?
Speaker 8: So the beast is a twenty k you know, obstacle course race, and at perfect north Slopes you have you know, obviously you know all that elevation, and then there's u there's twenty five different obstacles that you have to go over. You know, listen up a big c men pore or you're doing a monkey bars and just the elevation itself makes Cincinnati one of the hardest Spartan races.
Speaker 1: Okay, actually very cool. So so you help people recover after they've subjected themselves to this punishment.
Speaker 8: That is the craziness of that. Yeah, they come see me when they were all beat up. That's pretty much it. We have SNA's, we got cold plunges, we got like the compression boots, massage, all of that. But you know, like we're just rain. Most people will and and I was funny about the forecast because in Cincinnati.
Speaker 6: The forecast is the same thing. It's rain.
Speaker 8: It's rain, more rain and rain and rain and rain. So so we're gonna be full of mud. All the people will be are mostly full of mud after the bob wire crawl.
Speaker 1: So they crawl through the mud underneath the bard wire.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah, so there'll be money.
Speaker 1: Well, we we've wasted our time. We're not wasted, but we've exhausted most of our time talking about what you do, which is really more interesting a lot of times than our topics. But uh, you wanted to tell me there's a brand new website launched, is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So we so I merged my company, uh you know, a premiere at these services with with a coming called Playmaker a p l A Y M A k a R dot com I Playmaker dot com.
Speaker 1: And we we.
Speaker 8: Actually a manufacturer.
Speaker 1: Many of the.
Speaker 8: Recovery tools that we have in the recovery tent at at the Spartan races and the DECA events that we do.
Speaker 10: So so you've gone.
Speaker 1: From using these tools to selling them.
Speaker 8: To actually I'm manufacturing them and then selling them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, And and what is the what is the website where can people find out more real quickly it is.
Speaker 8: It is a p L A Y M A k A R dot com so playmaker dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, fantastic. Well I wish you good success and enjoy the mudd at Perfect North today. Morocco.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'm so, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: So what time does the actual Spartan race start? Is it begun already?
Speaker 6: It started?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so festival started at five. Uh, everyone started for the Ultra at six and then the beast goes off at seven.
Speaker 1: All right, enjoy, Thank you in the muck and the mud our friend rococostelanoplaymaker dot com, which is what this is. Wild weird wacky stories from around the country and around the world with our correspondent Tom Davis. Tom good morning, Good morning, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 17: This week Big Cat, short fuse, but first love Ainty Grand the internet going nuts for the latest viral power couple. Six foot two Sarah Button is dating Gabriel, a man who stands at a lofty two foot eleven inches. Despite their massive difference in height, they say they have an extremely tight bond. Gabe says he's the little spoon when it comes to laying in bed and says that other men should try it out. The couple hopes that their love will open the minds of people everywhere to accept that love comes in all sizes. Cleveland is quickly becoming the Florida of the North. No, not because of the waterfront, because of the abundance of crazy people. A thirty three year old man went into a Cleveland walmart, grabbed some tuna and beer off the shelf, and went to the bathroom. He locked himself in and started tearing into the tuna and busting open the beer. Workers were knocking on the door trying to get him to stop, but he kept up the tuna and Budweiser party until the cops finally broke down the door and dragged him out through the pile of cans. Cops in Newport News are looking for a criminal on the loose. A man with no teeth came into a seven to eleven and started demanding cigarettes, and the employees weren't about to get involved. They ran off and locked themselves in the bathroom for some reason, instead of just grabbing the cigarettes. The thief got real mad about that and tried to bust the bathroom door down with a brick. He eventually ran off after nine to one one was called. The police need the help of the public to find the toothless fiend. And finally, you aren't the only one annoyed with people taking selfies.
Speaker 1: So are the tigers.
Speaker 17: In Thailand, a man who was trying to take a selfie with a tiger over his shoulder was attacked. Apparently the tiger didn't like the flash from the phone. Fortunately he only suffered minor injuries. Unfortunately we don't all have tigers to sick on ridiculous selfie stars. Next week, worst neighbor ever arrested for spraying bear mace on children.
Speaker 1: Have a great word. You'll want to keep an umbrella close.
Speaker 18: We'll have partly cloudy skies today with Heighsner eighty showering storm chances. We'll return later this afternoon into the evening hours. Additional showers and storms overnight into your Sunday morning Heiser eighty Throughout the weekend. Will finally see dryer sunny conditions through midweek. From your severe Weather station, I'm nine first Warning Meteorologists Casey Jacobson's Radio seven hundred WIW.
Speaker 2: Seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 1: Liam, you realize that you have a Mountain to climb to regain any kind of credibility you have as a sports journalist after your misstatement last hour that journalism was going for a triple crown today at the bill Mont Stakes, which of course he's not because he didn't win the Derby. You understand the the credibility gap that you've created with the listener over this one just thoughtless, uncaring lie.
Speaker 3: Isn't every news station in the sports world just fake news? I just hot take clip moments I was trying to get my hot take viral clip out there.
Speaker 1: I guess so.
Speaker 3: And it's all because horse racing has gone soft and they don't want their horses running three races for the triple crown, you see.
Speaker 1: And that's the real conversations run in all three races, or will have after today's Belmont Stakes. But it did not. To win a triple crown, you have to win all three, the the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Sovereignty took the coward way out and didn't run in.
Speaker 1: So you're blaming you're blaming your misinformation on the cowardice of sovereignty.
Speaker 3: I don't blame the horse himself. I'm sure the horse wanted to. I'll blame the owners of sovereignty.
Speaker 1: Okay, who do you blame for the suspension of play last night at Great American Ballpark? Mother Nature? There you go.
Speaker 3: The Red Legs game was suspended prior to the start of the seventh inning last night due to last night's storm. CS in his return, hit a home run and that tied the game at three. That game will be resuming this afternoon at two ten and the regularly scheduled game will begin approximately forty minutes after the suspended game ends, but not prior to four to ten PM. Inside Pitch with ken Brew will begin at one. That is true information. This has been stated facts. I will be in double triple quadruble deal if we.
Speaker 1: Have corroborated this information.
Speaker 3: Catch all the Reds action all day on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: From my friend coach Lou NHL playoff action in the Stanley Cup Finals last night. A victory in overtime for the Florida Panthers, but it was in doubt the entire way right.
Speaker 3: Pnemodium in Edmonton last night, the Oilers trailed four to three for the entire third period, both eighteen seconds remaining. Corey Perry tied up the match to make it four to four and forced overtime in front of the home crowd. One overtime period was not enough, and finally, in the second overtime period, the Panthers found the back of the net to tie the series one to one. Next two games will be back in Florida.
Speaker 1: NBA playoffs continue tomorrow night with Game two, Pacers in Thunder.
Speaker 3: It was pandemonium as well in the first match of the NBA Finals. The Pacers won the game, but they only lad for point three seconds. Haliburton's five to six game warning shots this year.
Speaker 1: The most important the last point three exactly all right game tomorrow at eight pm. All Right, fantastic.
Speaker 3: UFC Tonight Sugar Sean, O'Malley and Morob and the bantamweight title Rematch two.
Speaker 1: Frankie Frankie, Frankie, Frankie Frankie. I was told if I didn't mention Frankie, which is the name of the kitten that christa two point zero, and I adopted that there would be dire consequences. So Frankie Frankie, Frankie, Frankie Frankie Jim Lebarbara the music Professor coming up right afternoons Rock and Roll Archaeology on the Saturday morning edition here on seven hundred WL Sign Up Day or sign the Book Day at Huddles today around two o'clock keeps saying Kim will bring the almanac or the yearbook from this year's anniversary party we held back in March there for this show. And if you were there and you'd like to see the fine array of photos that are professional photographer slash friend Kim Rice Took, that will be the place this afternoon, so make some time out. You can watch or listen to the Reds game. Well, we have a party together, and it's great to get together with you anytime we get a chance. And this guy I think is planning unattending, at least from what he told me. The man we call Science Mike back this morning with his Science Minute.
Speaker 10: Yes, as a knight of scientist, he's a bit surprising.
Speaker 12: His bell blinded me.
Speaker 1: With Michael, good morning, how you doing. I'm great. Frank Frankie is a wild man. Frankie is a fourteen week old kitten. Frankie got his his nails trimmed yesterdayday by Christa, and he said, and she said to me afterwards, boy, that boy can hiss. He did not like it at all. Uh good, that's that's good news. Actually, So what you got.
Speaker 14: For us, we got, we got homo erectus.
Speaker 19: Man.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about hold on, hold on, I know it's June and all, but you have to come all home erect us at me right off the bat.
Speaker 14: It's June and all. Yeah, yeah, talking about their relationship with fires and cooking. Fires have been around man building fire for four hundred thousand to a million years ago, and it was supposed that initially man was developed fire.
Speaker 1: For you know, to cook food, because.
Speaker 14: You know, the just the calories from getting from meat sustenance compared to vegetarian sustenance is like a sixteen to one ratio for calories burned. What happened was Gary Jefferson. A million years ago they discovered nine sites, this this study out of Tel Aviv, nine sites where man has built fires sporadically around as they say, southern Europe, Western Asia, and Africa. And in these sites they found large bones from elephants and hippopotamus and man did not. Actually, they theorize man did not build fires for cooking, but actually they built the fires to smoke the meat, to preserve it and to keep the predators other predators away.
Speaker 1: From eating their food.
Speaker 14: Because you get these nomadic groups of twenty five to thirty people roaming around and they kill these large animals and they have to last them about twenty to twenty five days, so they stay and they build these large fires, which takes a lot of vampire to build these fires to smoke the meat. And they weren't doing it to cook it because cooking only had so much calories to the meat. They're doing actually to keep the meat preserved by smoking it and keeping the.
Speaker 1: Other How did how did they learn that they had to do that, that they could do that to preserve the meat. That's the question. That's a great question.
Speaker 14: That's the that's the beauty of how we all developed our brains over all these years, and we did it not so much by eating a broccoli plant, but eating some elephant.
Speaker 1: That's ally was a question too, Mike, is that when did someone decide, as they're there on the ocean and they find their first crab, that that would be a good thing for dinner. When they were being attacked by all the claws and everything else that a crab is or a lobster for example. How did they know that there was something delicious behind something so dangerous amazing?
Speaker 14: Let you know if they can had a lot of time on our hands and they think, you know, the guys can watch this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they weren't playing Royal Kingdom on their iPhones. That's for darn show. Yes, sir, all right, Mike, thank you so much. We'll see you later eight twelve with seven hundred dollars the improbable. This medal is for the man.
Speaker 18: I want to keep an umbrella close. We'll have partly cloudy skies today with hoistner eighty. Showering storm chances will return later this afternoon into the evening hours. Additional showers and storms overnight into your Sunday morning. How's the eighty throughout the weekend. Will finally see dryer sunny conditions through midweek. From your severe weather station, I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist kJ Jacobson's Radio seven hundred WIW seven.
Speaker 1: Hundred WLW Sports William Tomlinson, What she got?
Speaker 3: French Open Finals nine am is Coco Golf and Saba Anka number one versus number two in the world on the clay tomorrow TBD. Yannick Center and Carlos Alcaraz number one and two in the world on the clay, the best in both men's and women's on display tomorrow in a grand slam chalk last night, Pandemonium and Edmonton Oilers trailed four to three with eighteen seconds left. If Corey Perry finds the net, we go into overtime. First overtime, no one can find the nets. Second overtime, the Panthers find the back of the net finally, and the series is tied one to one, heading back to Florida, and.
Speaker 1: We cannot well be remiss without mentioning, of course, the Reds and Diamondbacks continuing Game one of their series, which got suspended last night just before the seventh inning due to the rain. It is a three to three tie and that game will resume this afternoon. I believe at two ten, correct, hang in, Hang in with me here. The game resumes at two ten. The regular schedule game will begin approximately forty minutes after the suspended game ends, but not prior to four to ten PM. Inside Pitch with ken Brew will begin at one catch all the action on the home of the Reds all day long on seven hundred W l W. Thank you sir. Yesterday was the doing the maths here in my head the eighty first anniversary of the turning point of World War II, the invasion of Normandy. D Day is D Day plus one day today, and thanks to our friend Ron Steamen and the Columbus area, he forwarded me this. And here is General Eisenhower's speech to the troops before they embarked on this major turning point in World War two.
Speaker 20: Go ahead, liam, soldiers, sailors, and airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force. You are about to embark upon the great crusade toward which we have striven these many months.
Speaker 10: The eyes of the world are upon you.
Speaker 20: The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave allies and brothers in arms on other fronts. You will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppested peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.
Speaker 10: Your task will not be an easy one.
Speaker 20: Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.
Speaker 10: But this is the year nineteen forty four.
Speaker 20: Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of nineteen forty forty one. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats in open battle man demand. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The freemen of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. Good luck and all beseats the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.
Speaker 1: Of the men who were there, they definitely lived out the time honored adage. War is hell, and they are just merely, just slightly more than a handful of those men left who stormed the beaches on June sixth, nineteen forty four and changed history. We've got to tell the next generation. For those that cannot speak for themselves, anymore what they did and how important it was to where we are now.
Speaker 10: Traffic and weather conditions.
Speaker 2: We're definitely going to be late to the concert.
Speaker 1: Good morning kids, Time for gifts from Wally Ah. The Search for the Perfect Woman. Manny is just turn thirty and all of his buddies have already gotten married, and Manny's still single. He's still in the dating world and not having a whole lot of luck. And finally a friend asked him and said, what's the matter. You're looking for the perfect woman? Good luck? Can't you find anybody? No, not really nobody yet. I meet a lot of nice girls, but as soon as I bring them home to meet my parents, my mother doesn't like them, any of them. So you know, I keep on looking. He said, listen, why don't you find a girl who's just like your mom? A few weeks go by and Manny and his friend are together having a beer. He says, so, Manny, have you found that perfect girl yet, the one you'd like to marry? One just like your mom? And Manny shrugs his shoulders and said, yeah, I found one just like mom. Pretty, and my mom loved her. They became fast friends. As a matter of fact, so our congratulations in order many going to tie the knot I said, I'm afraid not. My dad hates her.
Speaker 2: True crime true.
Speaker 1: Our friend Moe Eggar joining us once again.
Speaker 6: Hey Mo, how we doing.
Speaker 1: We're doing fine. We're doing fine, And I'm glad you asked me the other just small talk question. How am I doings as opposed to what's going on? Because I, again, as I've talked before in the past, I look to you to find out what's going on, and if you ask me, then then it's blind leading the blind at that point. So I'm kind of but I'm glad I'm doing fine. Frankie, the kitten that we adopted last week is it's been god, it's almost two weeks now. I don't know, I'm losing track of time. But he's a wild man. He got declawed, well temporarily declawed by my wife with the clippers yesterday, and she'd never heard the kitten hissed before, but she did yesterday, oddly enough. And we're trying to keep him from climbing the screen, which he discovered and that's.
Speaker 10: Been a challenge.
Speaker 1: And see Brooksy, our other cat was never interested in people food like we could have a plate of I could sit a plate of food right on the floor and Brooks he'd like look at it, sniff it, lick his lips and walk away. Not so lucky with Frankie. Frankie is all about our food. So he has to go in his little cage every time we eat, training him there. So the training is on. And it's not quite the same as being a parent, which you're well aware of all the issues and the situations that arise when you are bringing up your little girl, especially when she was very young. But it's kind of the same, you know what I mean. I mean, have have you experienced the same with an animal, that a young animal that you brought into your house. The training that has to go on, it's it's very I forgot about it. It's been a long time since I've had a kitten or a young animal in the house, and it's it's an experience, an education.
Speaker 6: I've gone through. I've gone through training a cat, I've gone through training a dog, and I've gone through raising the kid. And the cat was easily the most difficult, was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd think that you'd think that maybe the kid would be. But no cats either, they have a mind of their own, or they don't have a mind at all, and I can't figure out which one is.
Speaker 6: Which kids ultimately want your approval. The cat couldn't care less, so you know, that was that was the hard thing for me. We had a cat named Kobe, and it was remarkable. My first wife and I we had two, we had three, that's actually, but I inherited them. I didn't raise them. You know, they were hers when I met her. Yeah, and then I got Kobe right when I met my current wife, and I had never been around a cat before that begged for people food. I mean, she would come to the table and beg the way you might expect a dog to beg. Right, and God rest his soul. Kobe got put down a couple of years ago. He never broke away from that. He would eat and we spoiled him, but he would eat like, you know, table scraps, the way you might expect a dog to eat table scraps. That might be why Kobe didn't necessarily live as long as maybe he should have.
Speaker 1: Well, we're trying to train Frankie, you know, for the same reason that we'd like to him enjoy, you know, some longevity and have a lot of happy years. But now I will say this, Brooksy, That's why I called him the cat dog. I called him the cat dog. He did seek ourb he wanted to please us. I'm not sure Frankie sheares that same. So I gotta I gotta talk to you about Aaron Rodgers signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers the one year deal. Is this a situation where, I mean, the Steelers have a chance to sign this four time MVP of Super Bowl champion quarterback, somebody that you know has proven over the years that he has some inateliable talents that are good at that position, and they're just gonna give it a one year try like the Russell Wilson experiment. Or is this Aaron Rodgers not realizing how old he is and how much his game is diminished. My thing was somebody was at the bar and they joked said, what if Aaron Rodgers comes in here and beats the Bengals, just rips them up? And I'm going, well, they don't play un till later on in the schedule. I'm sure by the first week or two, Aaron Rogers may well be in traction because the guys's statue.
Speaker 6: Well, you're right. What I would say to that question is if the Bengals defense is as bad as it was last year, I don't care who the Pittsburgh Steelers have a quarterback. I worry about them shredding the Bengals. Look Russell Wilson. When the Steelers came here, they scored at will on Cincinnati. And so the answer to that question to me has less to do with who the opposing team's quarterback is. Like, I want to know Week one, can they stop the Cleveland Browns on whoever their quarterback is. So that question to me is more about Al Golden and the Bengals defense. I think this is a really interesting situation because you know, look, the list of quarterbacks after the age of forty one who have won a playoff game consists of one man. It's Aaron Rodgers. It's nobody else, and so you know he's gonna have to defy the odds here. Now what I want to know is this. First of all, you know, how much does he have left in the tank. You're right, he is a statue. He cannot move at all. His statistics with the New York Jets last year were not terrible by any stretch, But it just seemed like a series of events that made that whole situation just toxic. Right, The coach lost his job during the season, They hired Aaron rodgers hand picked offensive coordinator Nate Hackett. They acquired some of Aaron Rodgers' former teammates and friends to be on the team. I don't think any of that is going to happen with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and so could this work? Sure? Look, it's a Pittsburgh team that went to the playoffs last year. It's Pittsburgh team that I think, from a roster perspective, is much better than the Jets roster last season. But if it goes sideways, what's that gonna look like? Right? Because it's one thing for it to go sideways with the Jets, that's a clown franchise. Pittsburgh Steelers a franchise, I hate to say this, a franchise of stability, a coach who has been there for nearly two decades, who's going to be in the Hall of Fame one day. It's also a franchise. It's quite desperate. Look, they haven't won a playoff game since January of twenty seventeen, and so you typically don't associate the Pittsburgh Steelers with desperation. Their plan B was going to be Mason Rudolph. They haven't been in a position to draft a quarterback in the first round because they haven't been bad enough to take a guy early in the first round. And so there's a lot of different dynamics to play here. I'm going to guess that Aaron Rodgers has his moments with the Steelers. I'm going to guess that at the end of the day, we do not consider the Steelers legitimate Super Bowl contenders.
Speaker 1: All right, very well, the Indiana Pacers, in just miraculous fashion get the point three second win over the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game one of the NBA Finals on Thursday, And just this Therese Haliburton. How good is he? Just the flavor of the moment? Is he the guy that everybody's pointing to? Is oh the Liam talking in hyperbolics earlier this morning? Is he the greatest closer of all time in the NBA? It's like, what are you kidding me? He's the flavor of the month. I mean, he's the guy this year that's in the spotlight. But come on, Steph Curry, Michael Jordan, you name him a guy you want with his ball in the hands at the buzzer, it just happens to be Halliburton this year, don't you think.
Speaker 6: To a degree? Yes, But what I think is cool about this year's finals, and what I think is cool about this NBA season is, Look, we're nearing the end of the longest prime in the history of sports, and that's Lebron James right now on the other side of forty Steph Curry's career is I hate to say winding down, but he is probably at least slightly past his prime. So there's an opportunity for new characters in this league to emerge. The MVP of the league is Shay Gilgess Alexander, Who's somebody that I would imagine a lot of very casual or non NBA fans, you know, isn't that familiar with And so what Tyrese Haliburton has done is taking the opportunity for this finals and to these playoffs to emerge as one of the newer stars of this league. And he and the Pacers have been awesome in the playoffs, and they've been awesome in the fourth quarter and not remarkable come back. And so you know, I said this on my show this week that this was going to be an NBA Finals where you heard people talk about, well, it's two small markets and so the ratings aren't going to be very good and whatever. That's fine. I think this is an NBA Finals where if you're used to talking about basketball simply through the filter of who's the goat, who's the great just of all time, legacies and all that sort of stuff, this is not your series. If you're interested in new characters emerging and new stars being formed and contrasting styles and you know, teams and organizations that have been built, you know, more organically than we saw some of the super teams from last decade. So this is your kind of series. And so is Tyree Tlliburton in the conversation with Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan and Steph Curry. Absolutely not. But is he emerging as one of the newer faces of this league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean very exciting. Again at the lay and again the Pacers down in the fourth quarter and all of a sudden, the miraculous at the buzzer comeback. And I still keep on going back to Isaiah Thomas in that NBA Finals against I guess it was the Knicks and the Chokes signed to Spike Lee and the whole deal Oklahoma. He has forced twenty five turnovers against the Pacers, and that may be their key to winning at all, don't you think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're the best defensive team in the league. And what's so interesting about this series is with Indiana, you have the team that is number two overall in offensive efficiency against the team that just figures out way to get stops. But what the Pacers have done in the fourth quarter, they have a mountainous fourth quarter comeback to their credit. Now in all four playoff series. They did this against the Milwaukee Bucks, they did this against the Cleveland Cavaliers. They did it in Game one against the New York Knicks. They won a game where they trailed by fourteen with three minutes to go, And they did it in Game one the other night. And so Okc's defense is terrific. And my guess is they still win the series. But you cannot put this Indiana team away. And that was certainly the case on Thursday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it. Austin Wins was obviously the odd man out and the Reds catching corps sent down to Louisville this week to make way for Cees And I guess the early results on Strand being back in the lineup. You know, we saw it last night before the rain halted the game. What's the ultimate solution a catcher? I mean, Tyler Stevenson's been relatively hot at the plate lately. But Austin Wins was batting three ninety or whatever in forty three plate appearances and is a two seventy four career. Is there a future for Austin Wins with this club?
Speaker 6: Maybe, you know, we'll see if he clears waivers. You mentioned his stats, you know, but the key number there was forty three plate appearances. I think he has had what ten plate appearances since April thirtieth. He was just never playing and not that many teams carry three catchers. And we saw a game, was it earlier this week? Yet it was Monday night, when you know, the last out of the game was made by Garrett Hampson, who's not a good hitter. They had Austin Wins on the bench and Matt McLain on the bench. Terry Francona said he didn't want to use Austin Wins and the ninth timming because he's the third catcher. Well, if you're not going to use a guy who's on the team because of his bat, because of the position that he plays, then you shouldn't carry a player who plays that position. And so Austin Wins was a savior for this team when Tyler Stevenson was hurt. You hope, from a Reds perspective, he clears waivers and they can reassign him and he's there as insurance, you hope for his perspective. Then another team says, yeah, we'll take that guy. But I think the writing was sort of on the wall here. Terry Francona even intimated as much last week THO when they got Cees back, that they probably weren't going to carry three catchers anymore. But I still would have figured out a way to keep him, But I would have had an easier time using him instead of worrying about the position that he plays. The Hall of Fame Reds manager has a different philosophy.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thank you so much, have a great weekend, counselor real quickly Saturday midday, just ahead, and I wanted to mention again the the book signing party of the yearbook that Keepsake Kim Rice is put together from our anniversary party are going to be at Huddles this afternoon from two to four. You are, of course cordially invited if you can make it. Uh. And I was gonna mention this to Mo but ran out of time, so real quickly, I'll get this in before we got a break. The Trump Musk feud smacks of WWE to me, And I think anybody, anybody who's believing that it's real is being trolled. That's my that's my feeling it could be.
Speaker 19: And you know what, even even if it isn't, who cares.
Speaker 1: Elon knew exactly. Elon knew exactly what was in the big beautiful building. I never said anything a week ago at the White House getting the gold key from Donald Trump.
Speaker 19: There are a lot more pressing problems in that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But I'm telling you to me, it's just pure political theater. Entertainment is and we're going to talk about and I think they're I think they're both in on it. So anyway, go ahead, what's on this? I wouldn't doubt it where we're going to talk about that.
Speaker 19: We're also going to talk about you know, be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Democrats Brego Garcia returns to the United States to face a federal indictment. You couldn't write a better story than that. They wanted him back, they got him back.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 19: Also, Democrats spent twenty million bucks to study why men are leaving the party in droves, so we'll be talking about that.
Speaker 1: You know, why men are leading the party in droves because our party sucks. Because the party does things like conduct studies to find out why men are leaving the party in droves.
Speaker 19: You know what, I'd have done it for ten million. I'm just telling you that the party sucks.
Speaker 1: Give me my money. All Right, I gotta go. We're late. Mike Allen coming up next with Saturday Midday and the After the show. Show includes the book signing at Huddles. We'll see you there.
Speaker 14: Men Trouble in the Bedroom not Anymore Proactive Men's Medical Center restores your sex life in