Speaker 1: What's Gucci? Stanley Tucci?
Speaker 2: You can't do that?
Speaker 1: What would you rather me say?
Speaker 2: Do another thing that rhymes right now? Don't think about it.
Speaker 3: What's what's happening? Cap Cape land chappinin Fuck?
Speaker 2: That was way worse.
Speaker 1: No, I was really good.
Speaker 2: Do another one now, Hey, everybody, welcome back.
Speaker 3: To fire Escape. I'm Stanley Tucci. That's Dan Riker.
Speaker 2: It's not you're lying. I'm Dan. I I mean yes, And Hi, Stanley, I love the food or whatever you do.
Speaker 1: And Mary Kish, who's Stanley Tucci ring show or something? So he's a famous actor. But now but now I'm confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does a searching for Italy like travel food show on HBO.
Speaker 4: Now he has a line.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Thing kind of blew up because he was doing like kitchen videos on his own and people like just love hearing him say anything.
Speaker 5: I know who this is.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at his dress. Well, I'm looking at his U his IMDb right now, I don't know if I've seen anything he's in. Oh, the Core, I've seen the core.
Speaker 1: I think Devil Wears Prada was probably his breakout.
Speaker 5: Beethoven, Oh my gosh, it's so good.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you even't seen Devil war I.
Speaker 2: Haven't seen The Devil Wears Prada.
Speaker 4: Say that you did a Red Box letter show where you reviewed movies.
Speaker 5: I figured you had seen a very good movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's what a romantic comedy and it's about fashion. That's like two things that would be like kryptonite for me.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a rom com, is it. It's it's like I.
Speaker 2: Think I'm the audience for it, right.
Speaker 4: No, actually, don't think it's a rom there's really almost no rom in it. It's mostly a comedy and it's mostly calm. It's about like a girl who doesn't really know anything about fashion in getting eaten alive by like a fashion world boss who's like a total bitch and a half.
Speaker 3: Wait, what's who's the who's the boss? Why am I blanking on her name? Like most famous act ever?
Speaker 2: It's not our friend Helen Mirren.
Speaker 3: It's not her, no other white hair Meryl Meryl Street straight close.
Speaker 1: And Anne Hathaway is the like intern.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I mean, if it's about passion, there's no chance in hell I ever have seen it.
Speaker 4: It's really good, actually quite funny, but it's comedy. It's comedy. It's it's a comedy first. I just think that's a it's a mistaken advertising. It's actually it's comedy first.
Speaker 2: You two seem naked.
Speaker 1: Gun No.
Speaker 3: But I saw your comment about it being the funniest thing you've seen since mcgroober.
Speaker 1: I couldn't. I have to see this for myself. I think you would love it.
Speaker 2: I think it is number two only to mcgroober for me, and it's, you know, another Lonely Island directed and written movie. But holy shit, I think both of you would fucking love it. And I will watch this movie many more times in my life, probably with you guys at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's watch it around Game of the Year.
Speaker 2: Oh god, if you guys don't wait that long, I'll do it. Like it's I'm just like forty jokes because I was still laughing at the previous ones.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glaam Mason's game for all of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's incredible.
Speaker 4: I'm glad it's so funny too, because like the last thing that Liam Neeson was in that was funny was that bit that skit where he was like, I want to get into comedy and it's like super awkward and funny because he shouldn't be doing comedies because he's like known for Schindler's List and really serious roles.
Speaker 2: But that's what he's around her for it that I know. Yeah, I mean that's what Lee uh Leslie Nielsen was a serious actor.
Speaker 1: And no, I I I shouldn't joke about Schindler's List, I guess. But there's a.
Speaker 2: Sign that's a great winning a sentence. There's this Sign episode.
Speaker 3: Where Jerry's newman catches Jerry making out with his Jewish girlfriend during Schindler's List at the theater.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it. Do you think it holds up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, it's in black and white, which I know you hate.
Speaker 2: Well, but like for a reason, right, like don't they show or something I haven't seen many black and white movies or movies with subtitles.
Speaker 5: Subtitles are really like, that's so limiting for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I know it's because I remember I found that like Google doc I made like fifteen years ago, and it was like, here's one hundred and one things I want to do in the next thousand and one days, and like one of the only ones I didn't accomplish was watch a movie with subtitles.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah, it's that a hard thing I have.
Speaker 2: I've read language movies everything everywhere, all at once. I did in Bonk, and I have watched lams like the Seventh Samurai. I haven't seen Pants Labyrinth, so like I'm more worldly now, but definitely like ten years ago, I don't think i'd read.
Speaker 4: There's so many horror movies, remember how like I recommended a horror movie like, Oh, it really opens up if you're willing to get into subtitles because there's some fucked up and really good scary horror movies from like you know, in other languages, and they're super worth watching.
Speaker 1: I probably should.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we watched Amanda and her cousin was staying with us and we watched those two watched Barbarian with me for.
Speaker 1: The first time.
Speaker 2: Nice blind. It was going to blind.
Speaker 1: They had no idea what it was about.
Speaker 5: They're really squirming in their seats.
Speaker 4: There's like a distinct moment where everyone I think, just curls up into a ball because you're so freaked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also I mean, it's been out for a while, but I still don't want it.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen no don't worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't say anything about I want.
Speaker 3: To watching two other people watch it, oh seeing them like trying to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah I am.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about Weapons, the new one by that director, and I don't really know anything about it, so probably just going to blind to that one as.
Speaker 1: Well, just seeing the trailer. Did you see the trailer?
Speaker 2: I might have trailer seeing it like months ago in a theater or something, but like before I knew it, so like if they if I did, I forgot everything.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it holds any weight or if it's just a rumor. But I had heard read that like Jordan Peele was trying really hard to get the rights to the script, but this director either beat him out.
Speaker 1: Somehow, oh well beat him off.
Speaker 3: But did you know the director of Barbarian and Weapons is like that is a dude from the Whitest Kids, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a sketch writer and performer.
Speaker 3: Funny Yeah, yeah, which is there's maybe like off cam I wanted I was. I didn't remember how funny parts of Barbarian were, Like there there's the man. Yeah. I really don't want to talk about yeah, this is bad radio. I'll talk to well after when we're offline. I'll uh, I'll tell you. But I was laughing so fucking hard. Yeah, and then, uh, I want to see Naked Gun really badly, but I guess I can wait.
Speaker 2: I cannot say enough about it, and nothing I say would would do it justice other than you two will love it.
Speaker 1: And I will. Yeah, I'll keep watching that movie anytime.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's like an hour twenty five In every twenty seconds there's a fucking joke that lands, like it and they all land for the most part.
Speaker 1: It's just unbelievable. Did I read there's another OJ joke in this one too?
Speaker 2: The trailer one one the trailer.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't seen the trailer, Okay.
Speaker 2: Keep it that way. Yeah, yeah, there's a good Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember the original one. OJ was in the movie right at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Well, no, he was like, yeah, he was a big part of the original. Yeah, and yeah.
Speaker 1: He's falling into like a wedding cake in the dock. Oh, it's like putting stuck.
Speaker 2: In a bucket. He falls out a window and gets shot a million times, and like, yeah, that's great, Yeah, so much.
Speaker 5: That's just in the physical comedy. I'm excited to see that.
Speaker 4: I saw twenty eight years later.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 4: That's where I put my time this weekend.
Speaker 5: I liked it. I just found the ending to be so confusing.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember that because I saw it and I remember, I remember liking it more as it went on, because like, I'm not normally a horror movie guy or zombie, and I hadn't seen the first two movies, and I'm trying.
Speaker 4: It's just one of the uh.
Speaker 2: Know what you're talking about. I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's necessary. I just I was shocked that that's the direction they went with it. But I think it's very ark and brooding and very much in line the film with the first movie. People who like twenty eight days Later, most people are like, the first one's great. Second one's like bad and can not very good, And I think this one is entertaining.
Speaker 5: It's entertaining, but I don't think it's good.
Speaker 4: The intro sequence is phenomenal, but like that is not the film. And then this new one, the movie is like really dark and brooding and it's it's it's got such an awesome premise, which I don't think is a spoiler to say, Like they basically like live on an island and the only way in and out of the island is to walk on this like tiny little sand pathway, and then it's covered by water, you know, during high tides, so you only get a couple hours where you can actually get to this island every day. And I find that so entertaining, so interesting to me. And they have like, you know, like a whole island system of Oh, I'm the baker and I'm the person who makes the tools, and I'm the teacher. Like they have a whole world on this island, but they have to leave the island to get resources.
Speaker 1: Love that.
Speaker 4: I think like a video game zombie with a yeah, zombie movie with like an excellent plot is really appealing to me. So I really did enjoy it, and I was I was glad that I watched. It was either that or going to the movies and seeing weapons, and I was like, well, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to. Oh, twenty eight years later is streaming now, Yes.
Speaker 4: The comfort of my living room.
Speaker 1: Let me.
Speaker 2: I want to ask Mary a question about the ending, So past forward like a minute if you want wait I don't want to hear this, Okay, Mary, do you know what they were dressed like at the end?
Speaker 1: Do you know what that was about?
Speaker 4: I mean they all look like little religious figures.
Speaker 2: It's a very specific reference from Britain. Do you know Jimmy Saville, Jimmy Seville, the Master? Okay, there's a whole Netflix documentary about him, like like oh shit, beyond Cosby level monster, like, but he was a huge part of British pop culture history and the.
Speaker 4: Guy was like wearing all of his religious stuffs of the people that I grew up watching like old British pop culture at the time, and they've kind of built like look it up because it's setting up the equal that's coming up in like like six months or something like that.
Speaker 2: So it's like I was like, what the fuck is this? I didn't realize there's until Lucy. Lucy was like, oh, the difference between people who grew up in the UK and the people who didn't grow up in the UK don't and it's like, oh shit, I've seen that was Yeah, he's look up Jimmy Saville, and twenty eight years later it's actually like pretty fucking interesting.
Speaker 1: So all right, everyone's be come on back, Come on back, Come on back.
Speaker 3: Be so fucking funny if you've told me to come back and then as soon as I put them on, you just spoiled everything.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: That'd be funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait to watch that. I also need to see the Phoenician scheme new Wes Anderson. Yeah, I cannot wait for one battle after another.
Speaker 1: One battle.
Speaker 3: It's the Paul Thomas Anderson's sex movie with Leo DiCaprio and Benicio del Toro. So it's based on a book. I think Jake is reading it. Jake has do you guys know how Jake does this thing where any book that a PTA movie is based on he reads.
Speaker 1: So he read oil exclamation.
Speaker 3: Point and yeah, yeah, so he's reading. I think this is based It's not a Thomas Pinsion book, but like in Harar and Vice was. But yeah, either way, it looks very fucking funny. It's like a modern day rebel uprising in l A, I think, but like Benicio Latro is Leo's sense, but Leo is just a total fucking slob in the trailer.
Speaker 4: Oh this sounds great, like a real piece of ship.
Speaker 3: Where it's like those one battle after the neck. Okay, one battle after another.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay, I'm very interested in this.
Speaker 3: Immediately sunglass he's wearing like the gators or whatever they're called, the sunglasses.
Speaker 2: But like everyone you're reaching is being part of it. I'm just like, Okay, that sounds excellent.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I don't think I dislike any of Paul Thomas Anderson's movie Thread.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that movie. That's don't again.
Speaker 2: It seems like it was about fashion, and I was like, I don't think I'm the audience for this.
Speaker 3: It's about fashion in the same way like The Wrestler is about wrestling. Like it's pretty good wrestling movie, you right, Like they go deep on, but the movie is about much more than that.
Speaker 1: It's this.
Speaker 3: It's about like this literally, I it's kind of spoiler to say literally, but it's a toxic relationship between Daniel day Lewis and the actor.
Speaker 2: I do love Damian day Lewis and and Taul Thomas Anderson.
Speaker 1: So I think you'd like it it, eh.
Speaker 3: I actually don't know. I can't recommend a wholeheartedly. I mean I don't. I don't like to recommend things lest some positive The Land. Well, okay, I know you hated Magnolia though, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I appreciate when something that weird exists, Like I love it when people spend a whole lot of money on shit that's just bonkers, like you know, see my Kajima obsession and everything. So I appreciate it. I did not enjoy watching it, really, Okay, fair enough, it's really long. I love The Master though. It's one of my favorite movies. I never saw that either.
Speaker 1: That movie. You should watch that before you watch Phantom Thread.
Speaker 2: I remember that's just kind of middling reviews. So I didn't wind up seeing it.
Speaker 1: I fucking I think it's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's Philip Seymour Hoffman and Jaquin Phoenix just trying to out act each other.
Speaker 1: That sounds fun. It's and they're like.
Speaker 3: People talk about how good Phillip seymore Hoffin is in that he's basically playing l Ron Hubbard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like.
Speaker 3: Joaquin Phoenix, I would actually say Jaquin Phoenix, I think, to be reductive and just compare them. I think Jaquin Phoenix is better in that movie. He plays such a fucking weirdo, a dude who's like clearly got PTSD from world War two before they knew what that actually.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they knew what that was back then, they might have, but like, he's fucked up.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, the movie's amazing, and it's just basically like if l Ron Hubbard got consistently called out for the inaccuracies in his teachings.
Speaker 1: Okay, hew full of shit like Phillip Semore.
Speaker 3: Hoffin's character is kind of a stand in for like l Ron Hubbard or like any.
Speaker 1: I guess church leader. But yeah, he it's it's awesome. I like that movie. I think it's twenty twelve that came out when I was at Game and Former Sure. Nice, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I can't wait for one battle after the next whatever it's called. What else have you guys been up to?
Speaker 2: Well, Mary like a month? Well yeah, Mary had a suggestion for you. I remember I watched a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't wind up talking about it.
Speaker 6: Speaking of movies, I've been trying to get everybody to watch K Pop Demon Hunters because I was shocked with my reaction to it, and I was curious what you guys thought.
Speaker 1: I will say I did not watch it.
Speaker 3: If you want to wait I promise I will watch it by next episode. I told you guys before this, I've had like a migraine building up all day, so it's trying not to look at screens as much as I could. If you want to talk about it now, I'll go for it, but I will watch it by next episode.
Speaker 1: If you want to hold off. Up to you Mary, up.
Speaker 5: To you, Dan, what'd you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 3: It was a process for me, and I get the premise quick, so I like, what is it? Because Mary's like, Mike, can you watch this by tennight? Was like, I'll try, But what the fuck is K pop Demon Hunters?
Speaker 1: Mary? Do you want to? Sure?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: It's a K pop oh yeah group? And they also hunt demons?
Speaker 1: Is in anime?
Speaker 5: It isn't?
Speaker 4: It is a musical anime? Well cartoons. I'm gonna just I'm gonna classify it as CG cartoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And there is then a rival K pop group.
Speaker 4: Of men that start competing with them, and then they find out that the K pop competing group of boys are demons, and then they have to K pop fight their way out of who's going to win the crowd because if the demons win, they're gonna suck the souls of all the fans. But the girls are losing their popularity, and they're also fighting amongst themselves, and one of the girls likes one of the boys.
Speaker 1: Ooh, like a capula in a Montague is a bit.
Speaker 4: Like a Montague situation.
Speaker 1: Dan, that's a naked gun reference. I'm surprise you can't catch you.
Speaker 2: That's Romeo and Juliet. I'm a red man.
Speaker 1: What oh r e a d Yeah?
Speaker 2: Read a book?
Speaker 1: What about it?
Speaker 3: Kind of sounded had Scott Pilgrim vibes the premise to what you were saying, Like, I hate that movie.
Speaker 2: I hate everything Scott Pilgrim so fucking much. Yeah, I remember the worst.
Speaker 3: Also when I was a game for him, I remember that movie was still like people were obsessed with it.
Speaker 2: Just lame emo nerd bait ship. Just wasn't funny, like just nerds suck. Yeah, just everyone was dorking out about it. Just dumb nerd bait ship.
Speaker 1: You know what I do when I see nerds, I give him.
Speaker 3: I give him Swirly USA over here, brother fucking Swirly Central Russia for me heading the toilet feet in the clouds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, died as he lived.
Speaker 3: Had the toilet geez, no I died giving someone Oh I see okay, Mary.
Speaker 2: It was an uphill battle, uh for us because if there's three things okay, so me and Bank, like I wasn't. I didn't think we're gonna have time to watch because like Tuesday night was the only night that I would have been able to do it. And it's usually me and Bunks movie night. And I was like, you know, Mary was really giving me the hard cell. I'm like, and we didn't have anything locked in. I was like, do you wanna do you want to try this? No, she was just like, let's do it. I was ready to write it off.
Speaker 1: She was like, let's do it.
Speaker 2: But and I went in blind and it's I'm telling me that before the title it did numerous things that is just kryptonite to me and Bunk. We don't I mean, we don't really know anything about K pop. I don't think we've ever seen I could probably point out K pop and a police lineup, but like we've never taken it in. No, and then like we don't like musicals, like you know, Bunk and I saw Hamilton and Dear Evan Hanson and all that, and like well, we don't like musicals at all.
Speaker 1: Well, you didn't like Hamilton? No, I mean I literally did not like. I know, I don't like you. I know, I just really lame, like I left.
Speaker 2: I just it's so the raps are the lamest shit I've ever seen in my likes.
Speaker 1: Does Alex Bonyelo know that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's He was texting me in the last few weeks trying to explain musicals to me. It's like, I trust me, it's not going.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Hamilton and lin Manuel Miranda, Alex Boniello is on the the the I.
Speaker 1: Don't even know how you describe it. Basically, lin Manuel Miranda.
Speaker 3: They revived The Warriors, Yeah, as an audio musical, and Alex Bannelo plays a character on it.
Speaker 1: He sings, yeah, oh what does he say?
Speaker 3: He's got a really funny line. He's like, I'm not here to I got to look it up.
Speaker 1: I don't. I'll let me you keep talking. I'm gonna find it's a really funny one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, No, But to give Hamilton some credit, I do remember leaving the theater that night and thinking like, well, those people are good at their jobs. So that's probably the nicest thing I have to say about Hamilton. But we don't like musicals. We don't know anything about K pop, and we don't like anything that's meant for kids, you know, like Disney stuff. We don't seek out, you know, Like it's just like and so we go in blind red flags. Yeah, we go in blind and ride away. Just like the art style and the tone. I'm just kind of like, Okay, here we fucking go. And then it was the moment they're on the plane at the beginning and they start fucking singing as they're fighting, and I just turned to Bonks, I'm like, are we gonna be able to do this? Is this like I know, even doing this for Mary? I know it would be so we can talk about it, but like, fuck, they're singing, they're making Quippi fucking Marvel type jokes and stuff, and it's like, oh boy, this and give bank credit. They're like, not me for like she was like, no, let's let's see it through. You know.
Speaker 5: Is this why she unfollowed me on?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Probably? Yeah? I know she had she had a whole tirade ready for her and she's like, all just follow her up my tongue.
Speaker 5: No, no, she did it. I give her credit, she's she's more open minded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's just one of those things where it's like I can't separate in my head with musicals, Like I've never understood why a character would be singing like people don't do that.
Speaker 5: Well they're K pop stars. Does that help?
Speaker 2: That's the thing is, So if it's like this like in universe thing where it's like, oh, actually they do kind of explain it, it does help a little bit, because I always do struggle if it's like a Broadway thing or a Disney movie or something, and it's like, why aren't you just saying what you feel? Why are you seeing? Why isn't anyone think it's weird that you're just singing out of nowhere? Yeah? I do not fucking understand it. My brain doesn't track with it. But as it went on, there was every once in a while, okay, a little chuckle here, little chuckle there, a little like as like, oh, that fight seems actually really well put together. I think the first time I started kind of chuckling and bunked to two was like when the rival boy K pop band shows up and like, you know, the girls are all like their eyes are popcorn coming out and like the ab stuff was really funny. And then we both started like really laughing with that weird cat with the like bird.
Speaker 4: Like when the cat.
Speaker 2: Knocking stuff over and everything. We were both like, okay, we're both like openly laughing right now at this And by the end, I will say, and the animation is incredible. It is undeniably incredible. By the end, I did not hate it. It looks like I.
Speaker 1: Did not hate it.
Speaker 2: I gave it three stars out of five, the same score I gave President John Cena and Prime Minister Address Alba movie I get higher than Happy Gilmore too.
Speaker 1: I gave it to like, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I would be Gilmore.
Speaker 4: Two sucks.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is like when I saw it near it. When I saw it, I was like, all right, the bar was low. I was expecting nothing from it. But then it's like I got a couple of little chuckles out of it, so it's like, all right, that wouldn't be bad. And then I saw Naked Gun, I'm like, oh right, comedies can be brilliant.
Speaker 4: You know totally what comedy is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think speaking of I found the line oh Alex Banielo on the album he plays a character named Luther, and at one point he has a line lyric I didn't come to make friends.
Speaker 1: I came to make your dad shit his depends.
Speaker 4: Wait sorry, is it a rap like the other one? Uh?
Speaker 3: There's like there's definitely some hip hop vibes to it, but not not like on the level of Hamilton.
Speaker 2: I don't know how anyone could ever hear Lynn ma Newill Miranda say or sing anything and think this is cool.
Speaker 3: I like this, they will say, I will say Lin Manuel is my least favorite part of Hamilton.
Speaker 2: NI Mike Manatti un ironically says that Lynn Manuel Miranda is his favorite rapper.
Speaker 3: I think he's really smarmy. He's everything I've heard. He sounds like a wonderful human being.
Speaker 1: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, absolutely, Butello is good friends with them. I wondering separation. I've heard nothing about him. Yeah, No, I just don't like you stuff. I'm sure you're great. It just seems like everything you do for your life's work seems insufferable. Oh yeah, even children, Like who is the potential audience here just doing like a weird dumb like YouTube rap level? Like my name missus Hamilton, I'm here to.
Speaker 1: Say I shot a guy.
Speaker 2: Like it's like, are people like fucking with me and saying this is good? It's in him?
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I've I've genuinely not heard anybody that dislikes him, Like the.
Speaker 4: United States are fucking with You're a.
Speaker 2: Man in humor and like, wait, please, I'm gonna try to be open minded the ear what I'm gonna try, But you're so so it's so stupid to me. It feels like the universe is playing a prank on me. Like, what do you like about Hamilton?
Speaker 3: I think the lyrics are incredible. I think the characters are extremely deep. I think it's heart wrenching at parts. I think it's hilarious. I think it's like it's it's just vibrating with electric Like I don't know, I've never been asked what do I like about Hamilton?
Speaker 2: You think you know someone I know I love? This might be grounds.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised I like musicals?
Speaker 2: Not I mean specifically Hamilton. It seems so lame.
Speaker 1: Oh this guy likes musicals who has this book on his book? I know you're a fucking whine dude, but like.
Speaker 2: I associate Broadway with like theater kids stuff and you number struck me as a theater you know.
Speaker 1: I Oh, to be clear, I've I've been to one Broadway show.
Speaker 3: It was King Kong because they had an animatronic giant gorilla lean over the audience.
Speaker 1: It was cool. I loved it. Apparently the show was bad. I didn't know enough about theater.
Speaker 4: But but people say Hamilton like broke Through, Like it's not just something that thee like or musical people like Hamilton was so beloved it became pop culture. It tapped into a vein of people who wanted to experience history in a not boding back then.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they sang.
Speaker 2: I'm tried to temper myself a little bit because I was kind of talking about musical ago there.
Speaker 3: I don't give a ship whether you like Hamilton. He asked me a question for me for myself.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to temper myself because a few weeks ago I found myself getting heated about musicals and giant bomb and Bank was watching and texted me and he's like, you're being very Paul Record right now. And I'm like, oh shit, she's right, but.
Speaker 3: You don't have to like Okay, Actually, I have a question. Have you seen the movie on Hulu. It's a Hulu originally like theater Camp. No, okay, hmmm.
Speaker 1: Trying to weigh whether I was in.
Speaker 2: Theater classes in high school. I loved it. I acted in school and tell you until they started doing singing and I was like, I'm completely out of this. Like even as a teenager, I was like, this is insane.
Speaker 3: I uh, I'm a terrible singer. But I was not a theater kid. I will say theater Camp on Hulu reminds me of Palm Springs. It's one of those, like Hula original overlooked gems. You should watch theater Camp. It's really funny.
Speaker 1: I just give it, don't. You don't have to be you don't have to be in a theater.
Speaker 4: I'm not in the music Disney like uh, Little Mermaid when you were growing you know what?
Speaker 2: And I was the right Disney age. I like Little I never liked Beating the Beast. I didn't get that. I liked Little Mermaid. I liked Lion King, and I like to like my guest, be my guest, the Simpson's version.
Speaker 5: But sure, yeah, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: But my best you like a Latin because Jasmine was bid. Yeah, I wasn't too.
Speaker 2: I was six, you know, like I I never ever went back and watched those movies. I think, like, I can't imagine that now, But.
Speaker 4: When did the thing happen in your brain? Where childhood?
Speaker 1: Eight eight?
Speaker 2: I don't know, why the are they singing? Like even as a child, you know, and do you.
Speaker 1: Spend much of your life playing Nintendo games? I don't think.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know, I know not that you.
Speaker 1: Can't be an adult like Nintendo games.
Speaker 2: But you get no, No, it wasn't someone who played games. I could probably make the exact same argument about Mario. You're a little cartoon plumber guy and you're yeah, But it's just something about the singing, Like I'm not someone who thinks that stuff for kids can't be good or have value or anything like that. I just think, specifically my brain, this is just a me thing. I can't get over the fact that, like, why the fuck are they singing right now?
Speaker 1: Nobody does?
Speaker 5: Have you seen in canto?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: In canto?
Speaker 4: A lot of people compare to like modern did the like Lion.
Speaker 5: King a movie songs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a Disney movie with you know, cartoon people who are going through ship and then sometimes they're singing, but the songs are pretty good.
Speaker 2: But why wouldn't they if they're going through why wouldn't they just talk about it and have a scene about it? And I'm sad, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like I just thought that the theater goes back far far into history when like singing, it wasn't like a weird thing, like that's how they told stories as with a side.
Speaker 2: I mean, I went to my therapist today and saying, you know, like.
Speaker 3: It's nothing going to be realistic, like you just you you just played a game where a guy fucking drops people into some ink to so their bodies don't blow up and torch the earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 4: When I turned date, I realized it just wasn't real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they don't, like that's the thing they're not saying.
Speaker 2: I actually got there is actually like a music I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, the puppet scene, like you can have him I'm around.
Speaker 2: No, they got even more music stuff and.
Speaker 5: They sing happy birthday to you.
Speaker 2: No, that's the thing, Happy birthday.
Speaker 3: That's the thing people do well exactly exactly. Why don't you just go up to someone when you hand them a cake on their birthday and say happy Birthday?
Speaker 1: Why do you sing it?
Speaker 2: I guess it's a tradition. It's a fun thing.
Speaker 5: There you go, The keyword was fun.
Speaker 2: I do realize this is fully just my dad, because it's like I was asking about that, you know, that Saturday Night movie that came out about Saturday Night Live, And I thought like, oh, man, dad's such a big doork for like old SNL stuff, Like I bet he'd love this Saturday Night Live movie. And I asked him, like have you seen it? He's like, oh, the one with all the fake people. And I was like, what do you mean. He's like, yeah, the fake people playing the real people. And I was like, yeah, chevy Chase is like eighty, He's not going to play himself in nineteen seventy five, So.
Speaker 3: What is Chevy Chase doing in all his movies playing other people?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not saying this makes sense. It's a good way to think. I'm just saying it's how I think.
Speaker 3: John Belushi is not actually a pimp when he popped his mouth in Animal House? What is Why do I Why do I spend so much time explaining things to you?
Speaker 2: And that's what every friend of mine has been saying for many years, like it's not right. I know, I know it's stupid. I'm in the minority here, but it's just like, don't like musicals, to be clear, I don't care.
Speaker 3: Music.
Speaker 4: Not being stoked about musicals in general, which I like, I think is just like a personal preference of yours and specifically.
Speaker 5: Hating Lin Manuel.
Speaker 2: Okay, if it committed musical present, if if it's a play about the life of Alexander Hamilton and the duel and all that stuff, would be great, that's fine. But then it's like every time, like you'd hear the music Starred and something, it's just like, here we fucking go. You're gonna sing a fucking song about it, Like.
Speaker 1: The lyrics are incredible?
Speaker 2: Okay to me either or not subjective?
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, it's not James Mayard Keene or where the fuck his name is?
Speaker 1: What the tool guy? Oh that tool? Me beyond that tool. I love tool. I thought it was me and you that liked it.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Banca was a I didn't mean to shoot that stray bullet at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I you don't have to like musicals, to be clear, even Book.
Speaker 2: Of Mormon, like I like Trey Parker Matt's own stuff. I love south Park to America all that stuff, and like.
Speaker 4: I, yeah, there's a lot of musicals in there.
Speaker 3: South Park hasn't been relevant for twenty years, that's what I hear. Yeah, actually, yeah, I think it might be relevant again finally. Yeah, well yeah, but when when it's cartoons, so, like, you know, like South Park. I love the South Park movie and it's straight up a musical. I bought the soundtrack as a kid and everything, and like it's fantastic. But I think it's just because like it is in this whimsical, like oh, it's just these cartoon characters and this silly, you know, story and stuff, like I think I can accept it, or even Team America where it's like how ridiculous is it that these puppets are singing and all this stuff?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's just when you're showing me real people on a stage or in a movie, I just can't handle it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna now that I know this, I'm gonna like, the next time you're here or when I'm at your house, I'm going to like try to put a musical on without you knowing.
Speaker 2: I'll know I'll detect it well, you'll know when.
Speaker 1: They start dancing and singing. Yeah, but like you know, you'll know when.
Speaker 2: The police show up and kick you out of my house.
Speaker 1: Imagine imagine what what Dan?
Speaker 3: What would your brain do if you saw Will Forte and and uh Jorma Jorma yeah, announced that they're doing a mcgrooverer musical.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I know it would be hilarious. I know it would be funny because there wouldn't be any remote like taking self seriously thing where it's like I think when people talk about like hamils and stuff like this is important to no pop culture, you know.
Speaker 1: And then well, you know, rest in peace.
Speaker 3: But like imagine I Val Kilm is alive and he came on stage, He's like, week.
Speaker 2: No, I would probably love musical. There's an old Way. So there's old Seth Meyers joke about the Rocky Musical and he's like, oh yeah, this, this Rocky musical is gonna have Broadway next week. He's like, so if you're a fan of the bravado and machismo of the Rocky film franchise and lavish Broadway musicals, who are you know? But that's kind of how I feel, Like, Yeah, that's just that is not for me at all.
Speaker 4: And it sounds like you like it if it's ironic. But what I will say is Puppets, you liked K pop Demon Hunters, I.
Speaker 1: Forgot what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I did generally like it. Again, three stars, that's a good host, that's a that's a good score for me. I got that tied with Jingle all the way, Alien Romulus.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I can't believe it tied with Moms not three stars.
Speaker 1: That movie is not good.
Speaker 2: It is fine, It was fine. Yeah, I don't know. I I very much tried to be open mindedn't give new things a chance and stuff like that. But it did have an uphill battle, uh that I do think it overcame.
Speaker 4: I fight through a lot of your ignorance to get those three stars.
Speaker 2: Now we're just getting personal.
Speaker 4: My goodness, I'm actually like really proud of that. We had to fight decades of like just complete and utter anger and like, you know, know, deception. You didn't want to believe that you could.
Speaker 2: Like this, And to give Bank credit, as I always liked to, I was going to turn it off if Bank had any kind of like, yeah, let's turn it off, all right, let's go watch something better.
Speaker 5: We gotta give it up to Bank.
Speaker 4: I feel like she's always benefited your life for the good. Oh go shoving vegetables in your gullet. She's getting you to to like live a healthier, better life. And now the first musical you didn't hate, and I'm I'm excited. I think, if anything, this only reaffirms my belief that every time I think I should be proud of you, my pride is actually for Bank.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, any credit of me in the last ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do want to watch Friendship you've been telling me about.
Speaker 1: I see clips of it. What's that? What's the actor's name?
Speaker 5: Hard to get through that fucking Oh you've seen it.
Speaker 4: I saw it in theaters and me and everybody in that fucking theater walked out and said the same thing, which was, like, what the fuck was that really?
Speaker 2: Three and a half? I gave that slightly love.
Speaker 4: I cannot, I cannot, and I love I love that show. I love Tim Robinson. I'm in. It's just so so dry, like it's really hard.
Speaker 5: There's a very few laugh jokes.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: I was cracking up at one joke. Mike, very brief take it off very brief. The drug trip scene with the frog, that was the funniest ship. Okay, you put it back on, you put it back on. Killed.
Speaker 4: There's there's a couple I'm telling you, and there's there's simple ones too, like I got a full coffee here, Like there's funny things that happened that I'm like, that's funny. But generally I was just like, this guy is so sad.
Speaker 2: It is a weird one again. Three and a half isn't like glowing for me, but like, you know, it's I thought it was generally good and like for Mike specifically and his you know, big Tim Robinson fandom, I think it's very much.
Speaker 4: I am also a big Tim Robinson fan, and I will be curious what you think, because like I struggled, like I think, like towards the end of that film, I was like, why isn't this funnier? It's it is funny, it's just so hard to watch.
Speaker 1: I saw the scene the boxing scene with the soap in his.
Speaker 2: Mouth, boxing scene with the soap, and I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just watched a bunch of clips yesterday. He's boxing with Paul Rudd. In their garage.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was a deleted scene. I don't know, but it's uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: They have the whole film is uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: There is like an extended scene of him playing drums during a party where I was like, just leave, just go home.
Speaker 1: What's the actor? What's the other actor?
Speaker 2: And not no Connor Mley.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I find him to be so fucking funny. He was in Palm Springs as well. Yeah, they when the earthquake happens.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, I should have never left a Great Lakes.
Speaker 2: He cracks me up quite a long. If your horny, I think you should leave schedule.
Speaker 3: He's talking about when he's talking about the Goonies and that clip that you sent me, He's like, I don't even think it would fly today.
Speaker 1: He's like, I don't know what the word is, but he's pretty melted. Slot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I want to watch Friendship.
Speaker 1: I'll see if I can get through it. But yeah, you should watch.
Speaker 5: You'll get through it.
Speaker 4: I'm just curious if you're going to be like this is laugh out loud funny from beginning to end, or if you're like I was uncomfortable because it was a sketch that was two hours long.
Speaker 3: Mary, you'd like Theater Camp. If you haven't seen it, you don't have to be a theater kid. It's it's a mockumentary with what's her name?
Speaker 1: She played the and the Bear. She was like the love interest in season two. She's in Theater.
Speaker 3: Camp to three years old. Jimmy Tatreau is in it, the bro guy from Real Bros. Of Simi Valley or whatever it's called. He oh, the the main dude in American Vandal, that mockumentary they did a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Theater Camp's really funny.
Speaker 3: I like it quite a bit, but yeah, I really want to see twenty eight years later.
Speaker 1: Now that I know it's streaming, I might watch that this weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had to pay for it, but again my justification is like I didn't want to leave the house, but I wanted to see like a new movie, if that makes sense. And like usually when after it's not in theaters, if you wait a long enough time, it'll just be on like HBO or Netflix, like one of those major dudes will buy it and then you can watch it for free, quote unquote, because you're paying the subscription, but you're not paying for the film. I spent twenty dollars renting this movie because it just came out on streaming, and I was like, I don't want to wait for it to be on Netflix, but I don't want to go to the theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's never long anymore, like Sinners. I remember I saw that, like felt like a few weeks after it came out in theaters.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: And it's and it's on age too, Sinners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to watch it.
Speaker 4: Sinners is worth seeing. It's worth paying for if you don't have HBO. It's it's quite good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Speaking of go now for entertainment and musicals, I'm finally going to see David Byrne for the.
Speaker 1: First time ever.
Speaker 2: Big Pants, No, I wish, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's Who Is the Sky Tour. So did you see American Utopia? No, that's on HBO.
Speaker 1: Do you like Talking Heads much?
Speaker 3: I mean normal amounts and I like them. I think they're good. I just yeah, American Utopia is really good. It was on Broadway. It actually overlapped with me being here back on the East Coast for like a year. I just never went. But he's bringing some musicians back from that for Who Is the sky. We're going to see them him at a radio city.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Nice, but yeah, you guys want to talk about video games?
Speaker 4: Sure, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Yep, and Mike, I feel like you just betrayed everything I know about you by saying you like musicals.
Speaker 3: I don't like seek out musicals. I just really like Hamilton. What other ones do I like?
Speaker 5: I don't like Hamilton, but I'm not falling on that sword. That's crazy saying that.
Speaker 1: You don't like it? Why didn't you speak up? And you just left Dan in the lord I'm connor out.
Speaker 2: When we come back, I bring it in, brig it in, Joe, Jake Jake started thirty seconds ago. No Jake started when when I told Mike, HEU trade me, don't let her get out the That is coward ship. Mary, Yeah, what that is coward ship? Say it with your full chest, saying it to the microphone.
Speaker 3: I agree, What the suck? You just sent Dan out of the door. Why you're sitting comfy in thet me out here.
Speaker 2: In the fucking desert.
Speaker 1: It was just you're right, that's hilarious. You just let him.
Speaker 3: Fucking Larry's sending you printing at the Germans while she suit back in the trench, like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you both betrayed me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, delicious.
Speaker 4: I felt like you were doing a good job. I didn't think there was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't just leave him out, you like jumped on him.
Speaker 2: You're afraid of Hamilton fans? Mary there, do you know what people were talking about?
Speaker 4: They're intense people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you seen me? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hamilton people are are really into Hamilton, and I don't want that heat. So I was just gonna say, I don't know if you've noticed, but I didn't support or defend Hamilton.
Speaker 5: I just said that's why I'm.
Speaker 2: I'm glad the folks are hearing the truth though.
Speaker 4: All right, So the truth is this is not video game talk that I think it's important.
Speaker 5: I think Hamilton is fine.
Speaker 4: I think it's fine. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. And I was seeing these tickets that were like five hundred dollars just to watch people rap that I don't think is exceptionally good either. What I'll say that, if anything, we're just we're all like pretty not educated, probably enough to speak on this, maybe, Mike, but like, why because you like musicals?
Speaker 1: I like why I don't all of us.
Speaker 4: I don't like musicals very much either, but I do like some musicals. I have respect for the genre, unlike you and I. Just when I was watching it, there was a couple of the ones of the songs where people were like doing them in karaoke, and I was like, give me a break singing Hamilton at karaoke, Like there's no other good song that you can sing at karaoke. And that was the truth that I didn't say, which is like, I I don't think the one shot song is that good.
Speaker 2: That's Eminem the mom spaghetti.
Speaker 1: Wait what one shot song? Not giving it?
Speaker 2: I lose yourself?
Speaker 1: Shut up?
Speaker 2: He's from Detroit, Mike.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get ting to come for meot That's not my favorite song.
Speaker 3: Dear at Theodosia when with Aaron Burr. First of all, what's what's his fucking Who plays Aaron Burr?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? He won the Tony for it.
Speaker 4: You know it's people leslie R.
Speaker 3: His his voice is like he the best singers I've ever They're all very talented.
Speaker 4: We're not questioning the talent of the backtrack.
Speaker 2: Don't be pussy, no, no, no, no, At no point did I say these people aren't in fact respect When I left, that was what I did.
Speaker 4: We're keeping what you said a bit. Everybody here is going to be unpopular when everyone we stand as a moron. Mike is a dick, and I don't like Hamilton, but everyone needs to know I'm out.
Speaker 2: And proud about being a moron. Mary is trying to hide it.
Speaker 3: We need someone more educated than to come on and talk about Hamilton.
Speaker 2: I just won Manuel, and he's also a big wrestling in my life. Watch Wrestling with Manuel Brandon.
Speaker 4: I have a lot of respect for Lynn Manuel. I literally listen to an interview with whatever correctly. I listened to.
Speaker 5: An interview with him this morning.
Speaker 1: What Linman lynmn Rando Star Wars character scene.
Speaker 5: Dan was like, not.
Speaker 4: Everybody needs to like seing the things that are happening in their life. There's this like scene of Hamilton where he's like trying to leave and his wife is like come back to bed, and he's like.
Speaker 5: No, I can't.
Speaker 1: I have to go out.
Speaker 4: I'll be back before you wake up, and she's like, no, come back to bed and he's like no, but I'll be back before you wake up. And I'm like, just say these things.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bed.
Speaker 7: Isn't he going off to war? In that scene to your brother? If there's one person.
Speaker 1: I'm coming to.
Speaker 5: And you're like, come back to.
Speaker 2: Bed, he did, like come by marines with me.
Speaker 3: If only we could play our marines without it. Imagine if fucking they made him a groomer musical, they could do the sex.
Speaker 2: The groom musical would be good. Absolutely, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Feel you up. Wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 4: There is one musical scene in it where he goes, are you gonna make your music?
Speaker 5: And she goes it can wait?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's diagetic. It makes sense for Vicky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 4: See, we still got it. And I like musicals.
Speaker 5: See I like that.
Speaker 1: Let's do.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do. We won't tell me when it's gonna be, but one episode of Fire Skive in the future will.
Speaker 1: Be the musical episode where we have to sing everything.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that'd be so annoying.
Speaker 2: It would be the worst podcast episode of all time.
Speaker 3: It would be funny, though, if we actually committed to it for two and a half hours.
Speaker 4: So annoyed, I would be so annoyed.
Speaker 1: That would be tiring ash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems unnecessary to sing all of your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but again like they originally did that because they had to find ways to communicate inner thoughts.
Speaker 1: They had like a background chorus, their mass.
Speaker 4: Their craft. You suck at writing music as far as I'm aware, Are you to me?
Speaker 1: Or Dan?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Dan? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't have a musical boat in my body? What are you like you?
Speaker 1: We're going for the growing.
Speaker 2: Career.
Speaker 4: It's going to suck, not because musical suck, but because we can't make good musical.
Speaker 2: Good No, I would.
Speaker 3: I stand by my craft if I make wine it sucks, I'm not gonna say it sucks. No, I absolutely would. So we all beat Claibs. Yeah, have we decided whether we want to talk? Yeah, so we're gonna are we kind of spoiling did though?
Speaker 1: We're going to do.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do. We're going to do the end of Clare Obscure. And so if you do not want to hear the end and spoilers of Claire Obscure, you should move forward in time.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to make a point untillake to time.
Speaker 4: We will put time so you don't don't get spoiled, and I'm giving you lots of heads.
Speaker 1: Up now if you're listening.
Speaker 3: It's in the episode description as well, because I know time SAMs are different on different platforms.
Speaker 4: But we've all finished it, we've.
Speaker 1: All got spoiler.
Speaker 3: We'll put spoiler time stamps in the episode description if you're listening to this and have not beat Claire obscure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also came out in like April. What are you waiting for?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 5: Have it was pretty good?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Dan, you asked before we were recording.
Speaker 3: Once I started to potentially, I will say I said that when I saw where they were going with the ending, I stopped liking it as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you told me because I was at a certain point and you were like, oh yeah, where you were, Dan, I was probably like a nine, and then what happened in the next two or three hours probably brought me down to like an eight. So I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I was completely wrong with where they were going.
Speaker 5: Act where are you at when you went down just trying?
Speaker 3: It was basically when you start to see that like it's a family thing and you're in this created world by So I'm going to butcher details because've forgotten some of the names. But like, basically you find out that the Paris you start in was a creation.
Speaker 1: Real world viller version. Lemier was a.
Speaker 3: Creation of the mother in the real world who is trying to keep who is broken from the death of her son son.
Speaker 2: And what I didn't realize is the like, is there Loomier in the real world or does she live in like actual Paris and Lumier is like this distortion of.
Speaker 1: It could be it could be like either way. It could be her.
Speaker 2: Because there was that like surreal Effle tower and stuff. So I didn't know if it.
Speaker 3: Was like, so Paris is the city of Light, LEMI I believe means light or has something to with light.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'll look that up.
Speaker 4: I think it's in another surreal world because they have all the powers and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there's obviously elements of Paris and real world places in there, so maybe maybe they visited, uh you know, Pattie before. But anyway, the point is is you're right, it was the paintress was the mother. She is so upset about her son that she painted a world and essentially like put herself in it and kept everybody alive, but her power was waning.
Speaker 1: Along with versions of her son and daughter in that world.
Speaker 2: Versus Verso andle well By myle that wasn't her name in the real world, but yeah, and.
Speaker 1: All the dreams she was having were of her real self.
Speaker 2: Yes, facial she was burned.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They talked about how much the GOV looks like Robert Pattinson. The dad looks like Pierce.
Speaker 2: Bros's very like modern day Piers bro.
Speaker 3: How did they get away with that? That's a whole other thing. I'm sure there's reddit threat some point.
Speaker 4: When you're that hot and symmetrical. It could just be any.
Speaker 3: The dumbest joke that was a naked gun joke. Yeah, that was funny.
Speaker 1: I hate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I I really like basically it came down to the matrix. Are you going to take the red pillar the blue pill? Are you going to keep Lumier alive? And basically it comes down to whether you think that that imagine it or like created world is as valuable as quote unquote the real world, and also like or do you want to destroy it? And potentially so okay, I should say the Dad is also trying to destroy it because he's basically worried about or he he just his wife is has gone insane and has made this world, so he wants to destroy it. I guess in the hopes that it will bring her back.
Speaker 4: He wants to pull them all out, and I think.
Speaker 3: He thinks reality is more important than the escape in the art.
Speaker 2: I think he thinks that she, like the family, needs to get over it and move on basically, and he's trying to just kind of end this, you know. Uh, God, sorry for the term ca fabe, but this ca fabe world and kind of wants everyone to just kind of like process everything.
Speaker 1: And what did you guys choose?
Speaker 2: I chose Okay, so if I had understood everything correctly the first time, I probably would have chosen the one where it's like go to the real world, uh and get rid.
Speaker 5: Of the explain it what you chose?
Speaker 2: I chose the one where my l stays in the fantasy world because I was under the impression that the real world was like way more fucked up than it was. I thought like the mom was just like dying. The house was burnt down for some reason. I thought it was like all is lost, And then when I saw I watched the other ending and I was like, oh, I didn't realize they just like, yeah, they went through some real shit, but it's mostly like emotional stuff and some some scarring and stuff like that. But like I think I thought it was like the fucking apocalypse in the real world, and I was like, no, let her, let her enjoy this.
Speaker 5: What did you think about your ending?
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting. I thought the way they brought Verso, I mean, I don't think it was a good ending in terms of like it wasn't good for myel I don't guess either of aod no, no, there's it's a bittersweet no matter how you take it. The idea of like Verso coming out and like being forced to kind of like haha, I'm playing this song and everything's fine, and like meanwhile, he's just kind of being forced to exist when he should not. Like, I think that's a really interesting idea. Like they're both very interesting, Like what what what a good decision at the end, because neither of them is black or white, good or bad or anything, and they both have like incredible implications.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's actually asking you something larger than the game. It's like, do you think I chose to stay with Lemier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you stayed in the fantasy.
Speaker 3: Yes, because in my mind it was like, well, whether these characters are quote unquote real or not, whether this is the truth in this context, they're the characters I've gotten attached to by playing the game. So is it any less real than the real world they're talking about?
Speaker 1: So I kept it alive? What did you do?
Speaker 4: Mary? I? I chose the real world because Verso said to me multiple times I don't want to be here, yeah, and I don't want to sing anymore and you're making me and I don't want to live this life anymore. And I thought to myself, like I was always against my dad telling me what to do and felt really strongly that like I wanted to support my al and what she wanted. It wasn't until Verso said that he didn't want to be alive, which I think is a very gutting realization.
Speaker 1: She doesn't want to be around anymore.
Speaker 5: He wants to die, he has asked to die.
Speaker 4: And I think, like this is the part that's very real, Like you're these are like really real world implications all of a sudden, where I'm like, I love my family. But if my family member was like I don't want to be here no more, I would support them even if it hurt me. And that's why I chose the real world, because I was like, I don't want to make you sing for me if you don't want to be around anymore, and I.
Speaker 5: And I chose it. It's also very solemn.
Speaker 4: I mean, everyone's morning, there's a grave where your son is. You say goodbye to all of the characters I like got choked up saying goodbye to all the characters that I like. Well, I liked them all and I loved I just I felt so bad for the the Oh my gosh, I'm forgetting all their names. But the girl like Luna was so she was mad in the in the scene when you if you choose reality, she doesn't say goodbye, like she doesn't like hug you or anything. She's mad because you chose to kill her. And so by choosing Verso's ability to have his own death, I was inadvertently killing a lot of people that I loved, and that was that was really hard for me to accept. But I I still believe that I am satisfied with my ending because I felt generally speaking that I understood that they needed to heal and deal with the morning process and the grief and move forward as a family as opposed to being in the painting, even though I prefer the joy.
Speaker 1: Of the painting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my initial thinking was that, like, oh, Mael obviously went through like unbelievable trauma, and you know, whatever respite she can get from that through this fantasy world, this fiction, like you allow her to have this piece, And like, I think when I made that decision, I did not consider the implications of like, oh, well, these are like sentient characters basically that exist in this fiction, and what does that mean for them?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And so it's like it was so interesting watching the other one and being like, oh fuck, I didn't think about that aspect of this, you know, and it's God, what a good ending, what a just tremendous game.
Speaker 4: And they say they're copies as well, So in this new world that Mayel has constructed, you're also again making copies. It's not the same people that we were with during our journey. Obviously, it's like very similar, but it's not the exact same. They explained that early on, when that tiny dude that has like he looks like an upside down broom. He's got that hair. He dies and they're like, can we bring them back? And the guy goes yes, and they go, I can, but only a version dog.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: I mean is that not like it's like, oh, it's great, it looks like it has the same but like, there's so many things that you can't like replicate.
Speaker 5: Maybe I feel like we're talking about like humans.
Speaker 4: It'd be like if you died and we cloned you and put you on this podcast, that.
Speaker 2: Would be fascinating. You should do that even if.
Speaker 1: I don't die, Okay, I will Yeah for.
Speaker 2: A person to dance, Yeah, yeah, with one of you, we each get twenty five percent. And it's the joint Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, because that girl that has two heads in one.
Speaker 1: Body having a joint bank with your guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I'm getting half the podcast fuckers.
Speaker 3: From fire Escape with the millions that we make every year.
Speaker 4: The girl that has two heads in one body, she only gets paid once by her job.
Speaker 3: He's just immediately hypothetical scenario doesn't sound too bad now.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean.
Speaker 4: Yes, you bad before because I can't handle two annoying people.
Speaker 2: Podcast of All Time?
Speaker 3: Sign in next time. And there's gonna be six of me and be like, I'm onto you now I.
Speaker 2: Get as long as there's more me than you. That meets like at the bigger cut fuckerd that'd.
Speaker 3: Be such like a stupid Tim Robinson sketch. There's someone cloning himself so he can make more money on in his revenue. Yeah, funny, what if you clone? Yeah, but you're assuming your clone would go along with it. What if your clone decided to take all your money?
Speaker 2: What's that clone going to do?
Speaker 1: He'd be greedy, hear you. He would be thinking of podcast that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what if we clone ourselves and they started competing with us like a ba A Bizarrow fire Escape of Evil.
Speaker 2: Fire escape no copyright strike out of them.
Speaker 5: Water copyright strike you because they're the same, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, they're AI and so yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: What if Dan got cloned and every single thing and desire and need and detail was the same, except his clone was super weirdly into musicals, like all he talked about was musicals.
Speaker 2: Well, then he can do his own podcasts over there, and then we're not.
Speaker 3: Comparat to Disney movies and he lost.
Speaker 1: He's got the yearly thing to the Disney Club or whatever, and he's.
Speaker 4: More popular and beloved than you.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 2: Good for him. I wish everyone's success.
Speaker 4: I wish everyone's success, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Claips, you're probably my front runner for Game of the Year right now.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be up there. For me.
Speaker 2: It is like there's there's a battle going on up the top of my list right now, and.
Speaker 4: I, oh, there's a couple. There's a couple. But I do think it's very well executed. It did win me over in the end, I will say, like I also towards the end, because I'm just not a big JRPG person, I was like, oh, there's a lot of hours, and there were times where I was like getting there where I was ready.
Speaker 2: But I kind of saw it as a breezy one in terms of like turnbased RBG.
Speaker 4: They can be like, can't those be like seventy eighty hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I mean that's more the norm than what clear obscurity is.
Speaker 4: I think it's reasonable, but I I'm just being honest, Like usually when I play a game around the twenty hour mark, I'm always like, what else is out there?
Speaker 3: I would love if a turn based game got game of the year for us.
Speaker 1: Not lobbying.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying you are what's big step for us. It will clearly be talked about a lot a game of the year.
Speaker 4: We have all agreed that as we're not going to grow and we are not going to be better people.
Speaker 3: So it was the seinfelding no hugging, no hugging, no learning, no learning.
Speaker 1: Yeah we learned, Yeah we.
Speaker 3: Learned, no hug Yeah we've hugged, yeah wed Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I played Real World. Do you guys talk about last episode? I won't drone on. I like it a lot.
Speaker 3: I also have started listening to much more music from Italians.
Speaker 1: Do it better?
Speaker 2: Oh I I I've found a June from the soundtrack like her a lot.
Speaker 3: Yes that is She's good too, But uh yeah, I I like it quite a bit, very relaxing. Yes, I like the structure of it. I think it works as an open world game. I will say it was weird how I came across that. I came across that game because, uh is it Anna twenty four doesn't do video games right and had like they had ads on Instagram like in my stories, like I hadn't heard of it through the industry. I heard about it just surfing Instagram, which was funny. Like I was like, oh, this is how normal people come across video games sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just thowt it like Steam next Fest, and I immediately was like, oh shit, okay, it's like bike biking arcade racing, almost like that Breath of the Wild type, you know, obviously much more condensed than Scope, but like, yeah, I loved it immediately.
Speaker 1: It's really good looking.
Speaker 3: I like the art style kind of reminds me of shit, what was that game two years ago that was also kind of like a zen Breath of the Wild in the desert. Yes, it reminded me of Sable in the vibes kind.
Speaker 4: Of sure, Yeah, I find this like easier to navigate than Sable or like most games of recent years were like this game had such a very simple presence. And I I played this because Dan you recommended it, and I also, uh, I got like a little bag with some goodies from the company, so I was looking it up.
Speaker 5: I know mess Hoff they do good stuff. Yeah, and so I think, where are my goodies? Uh they send us chocolates?
Speaker 1: Uh what the fuck?
Speaker 4: They were good?
Speaker 1: What? What the cock?
Speaker 4: I like the sing it sing it yeah, where the cock peenis? Where's my goodies?
Speaker 2: What the world to.
Speaker 1: Wheel World two? It's not on a bike this time. It's on a dial dough with wheels.
Speaker 4: You can basically there's like a human bike. You can exchange your bikes. So we don't have to explain the game because you did it last time, Dan, But I was just gonna say I finished the game. I thought it was excellent, And the only complaint I really have is that I think the second world, so when you do all the stuff, you're.
Speaker 5: In the stunning landscape.
Speaker 2: And it's so beautifun it looks like is.
Speaker 4: That what when you talked to me, did you think the game was done then?
Speaker 2: Because there's because it's like I knew it was going to be like a condensed game. I know you can beat in a few hours and stuff.
Speaker 5: You go to the moon, bud, you kick the moon.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, wait, I got to the corporate place.
Speaker 4: Okay, is that the moon that you're talking credits?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't eaten it yet. Oh okay, not.
Speaker 4: Really a little bit. But like I think, literally in the beginning of the game, the fucking skull is like you gotta go to the moon or so I think there's like something alluding to it. But anyway, you kick, Yeah, it doesn't matter. The point is is the first area is so beautiful, and I thought based on what you said to me, which was this game is like seven and nine hours, and I was like, that's perfect, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I spent like seven to nine hours getting through this first stunningly fall landscape, and then they were like, great, let's go, let's go to the next area. Don't correct me.
Speaker 1: I was adding flavor. We're not correct, just adding my fucking crepuscular.
Speaker 5: What is the equal of autumnal sewage?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Wait, what season is sewers?
Speaker 1: Feces? Wait?
Speaker 3: What what season is sewers?
Speaker 1: You heard me?
Speaker 5: What season is sewer?
Speaker 1: Summer is probably the most Yeah, well, then.
Speaker 4: Area two is summer because it fucking looks like ship it is.
Speaker 5: It's not beautiful.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like dirty and it's green and it's.
Speaker 2: Dark and stuff swamps.
Speaker 4: And I don't understand what mess Off was thinking. I just have to say, for a game that's so peaceful and so beautiful and so whimsical, the second area is plot. It's not whimsical or beautiful to ride around, and it's actually kind of garish, like the sound effects nice of the machines smashing down on the ground to collect oil or garbage or rats or whatever they're doing.
Speaker 5: I just didn't understand.
Speaker 2: I guess I do understand like what they're going for narratively with that, Like it's not supposed to be it's supposed to be this corporate healthscape thing, you know, with that company, like ruining the land. But like, you know, I get what they're trying to do, but for what that first area sets up, it really does set up this like fun, breezy biking game, and it's like, I don't know if I needed the like narrative shift there, Like I could have just used, like, hey, add that you know, square mileage to to the cool first area.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that's part of why I didn't beat it, Like I still likely will because I like the game a lot, but you know, it's like I got the second world, didn't love it.
Speaker 1: It's not beautiful, Yeah it's not.
Speaker 2: And then it's like other games came out and stuff, and so it's like it's kind of dropped off the priority thing for me a little bit. But I still do like the game a lot. I just wish it was like the First World but three times bigger instead of you know, I.
Speaker 4: Agree, or maybe show that there's problems, but don't make the game hideous, right like, I think you can show that technology that is. The story is like corporations are taking over and there's like robots and a I think there's like a whole corporo conversation to be had about that game. But they also like made the second area not nearly as beautiful to play, and there's a third area just you know, I wonder where that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait, is that the moon?
Speaker 5: It's not. That's the fourth here.
Speaker 2: There's another spoiler.
Speaker 1: Great, should we timestamp this as well? People haven't.
Speaker 2: They're going to come for me.
Speaker 4: There's a moon and wheel World.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's I don't think that's too bad.
Speaker 4: I don't come. I didn't care for Hamilton and there's a moon and.
Speaker 2: Wheel Wow, I'm off the hook.
Speaker 3: I didn't care for Hamilton and there's a moon and wheel World.
Speaker 1: Suck my dick. We need some new merch that just says that.
Speaker 3: A T shirt that says exactly that.
Speaker 1: I'm actually gonna get that made.
Speaker 2: Specific mouse pad.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not hard.
Speaker 3: We have associated I don't need you don't need to dare me. I've already committed to making it. Let me write that down. You guys keep talking.
Speaker 1: I care for is wheel World one word.
Speaker 2: If any I don't think we can see who buys what. If anyone buys this mouse pad, it will be the most unexplainable thing anyone has ever bought.
Speaker 1: Imagine someone getting it's like a Father's Day gift, like what the fuck.
Speaker 3: Mouse mouse pat or we get another like banana hamm I can put this on that.
Speaker 2: In like six months and now it's.
Speaker 3: It would be above my penis if it was a banana hammick, and I said, sucked my dick.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure my dick.
Speaker 2: Sure you've seen how the sausages made here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my sausages. Okay. I liked it.
Speaker 5: I think it's a good game.
Speaker 4: I think it's worth playing. And that's like my only criticism. I love the evolution of it, upgrading my bike, I love racing people. It's a great game. Is really the t ld R.
Speaker 2: I'll give it another criticism. I do think once you get all the legendary parts on the bike, which you get fairly early on. It is hard to want to switch to other ones because they have freaking stashed and they let you just like gain boost passively and like it stacks, so.
Speaker 1: We have all of it.
Speaker 4: You have to have, you have to once you have the complete set, there's no reason to upgrade your bike. I actually never upgraded my bike in a.
Speaker 2: Second, lef, And I like you you in a game like this, you want to be constantly leveling up and getting better and stuff like that, and so all of these let me boost, you know.
Speaker 5: So that's fair. You should never have gotten that sick bike until the second.
Speaker 2: The end of the second, or make it a gradual thing, stretch out across all. I guess there's four zones. Thanks for the spoiler, but yeah instead of just all in the front of which is the moon?
Speaker 1: Wow? Okay, what's the third one? Saturday?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Sorry that you guys like listen to a gaming podcast and you heard about a game and what happens in the game. Oh you guys better like go move ahead sixty more seconds because I'm gonna talk about a game soon.
Speaker 2: Do you want to spoil what the third area is? Because I don't know either.
Speaker 9: You guys, don't if you don't want to hear about Undermine two Peak, Time Flies, Heartworm, uh DK, Bonanza or Ninja Gaiden rage Bound, don't listen to this podcast because we're gonna spoil all.
Speaker 2: Those No, we're not. We're of our audience.
Speaker 1: You are not. I don't harbor any resentment toward our audience at all.
Speaker 5: No, I like, I don't harbor any resentment at all.
Speaker 3: But also by this dumb mouse pad funny, I was not here last time. Mary's already known she doesn't want to talk about Donkey Kong more, but I have not talked to anybody about it, and I hear.
Speaker 4: It's really I didn't say that, you sung, I said, we got a fight before this podcast started.
Speaker 5: A fight and I said, I said.
Speaker 3: I was ve because I'm having a migraine literally as we're talking right now, and it's just my brain and half you're dick.
Speaker 5: You're like, there's something wrong.
Speaker 3: With every time I left my head is like lava Mary quip being funny.
Speaker 2: That's really rude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't. I am.
Speaker 4: We're taking a lot of ship this episode.
Speaker 1: Yourself.
Speaker 2: I think I think you're the.
Speaker 3: Fucking held onto the Epstein fight. I shouldn't joke about that. My goodness, that got that got that Jake for real?
Speaker 1: For real.
Speaker 2: I don't think you mean it for real.
Speaker 1: I mean I actually the world to know who you really are.
Speaker 2: Turning against Mike.
Speaker 3: I'm just taking the heat off. This is a disaster. Is I've heard it's good. I haven't talked to anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kicks ass, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: It's like a donkey kicks ass.
Speaker 5: Do you like?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do you like?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Mario Ottissey, I think.
Speaker 1: It's one of the best games the last ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well, you know it's the same team and everything, and it's like I will not put it on that same level. It is not far though, I think, you know, Odyssey is probably like the best three D platformer of all time I could see. I would say this is closer to like maybe one of the Galaxy games, which is not something I would say lightly. You know, like those are also among the greatest platformers of all time, and the gimmick it's got is really good. Like I don't know if you've played any of it at all or seen much of it, but the idea of just I don't have a switch to oh God, just being able to burst through fucking anything in the environment for the most part, I mean the small exceptions, but like it's very satisfying. It's just having like a Donkey Kong with a skill tree. And the fact that they took this like one of the like Mount Rushmore biggest like you know, names and franchises in games history and and and made it modern, made it feel new in a very real way and didn't just lean on nostalgia or anything like it does the right amount of like, hey, here's the thing you recognize, or here's a song that we made a new version of, or here's these characters from the DKC series or whatever. Like it picks its spots very well, but it very much feels like a new experience and it's it's really great throughout. And a lot of people said this, and I didn't understand until I got there myself while I was in New York. But like it the last few hours really hammered home. Like you know, I was loving it before that, and when I talked about this last episode, I had not seen the last few hours. And it's like it does some really smart things gameplay wise, nos soldier wise, all that that really like. This is a spec game for sure, and I really like to play it the time too. Fun factor is about the shortest I've ever seen. You're having fun instantly when you start the game.
Speaker 1: So super dewey.
Speaker 2: Oh, among the deweiest games ever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's only on switch to though correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I got to get one eventually anyway.
Speaker 2: And it's not going to go down in price if anything will go up.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, well cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's high on my list and I need to have played that before a Game of the year because I feel like it'll come up.
Speaker 2: It will be high on mine for sure. It is one of those that is jockeying for that top position.
Speaker 1: Mary, what else have you been playing? Time Flies a couple.
Speaker 4: I loved this game and I'm really excited to talk to you guys about it. This is a really short, sweet, indie ass indie game called time Flies. The premise is you are a fly and you have a bucket list of things you would like to do before you die, and the catches is that because you're a your life expectancy is seventy two seconds.
Speaker 1: Oh oh. The art style art style.
Speaker 4: Drawing extremely simple, so think like uh yeah, like pretty much like black and white or like really simple visuals.
Speaker 5: Right eight bit you're a dot.
Speaker 4: But here this is important to recognize people who are like, oh, it's like too simple. You might be spoiling it, so be careful looking because like, this game is explorative. The whole joy of this is how explorative it is. I'll give you an example in the very beginning of this game. I in like the first thirty seconds, this won't spoil too much. You will get up from your couch and you will fly, and you will go past a guitar and if you land on the strings, the guitar will let you play it, and then on your bucket list you will cross off learn how to play music, and that is like the crux of this game. However, so much through this game you will land on a fly trap and it'll eat you, or you will land on a faucet and you will die, and the game will just say you died, very reminiscent of like you know, any modern game died, and you start over. You play again from the same spot, and you just try new things until you get more things off your bucket list, and to complete the level, you have to do all the things in your bucket list in the same life, So not only have you have to uncover the puzzle, but then you have to do a time puzzle where you're like.
Speaker 5: I want to do the guitar first, then I want to do the hair.
Speaker 4: Then I want to find this, then I want to do the marble, then I got to do the globe, and you kind of like map it out in.
Speaker 2: Your head, so questioning can you does it show these bucket list items before you or is it like, oh, it's it's invisible and then you play the guitar and then it fills in. Like learn to play music.
Speaker 4: There is a piece of paper that you can check throughout the game so that you can always see what they are. But some of them are puns and some of them are play on word intentionally, so you might not realize what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Music doesn't necessarily say play a string on the guitar. It's just totally okay, I see, And uh.
Speaker 4: It's so hard to not spoil these because they're.
Speaker 2: Really well, I think I'll play this, like I like the what you're describing sounds Funwitch's a.
Speaker 1: Video on the one of the videos on the games Steam page.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna spoil the box?
Speaker 3: No, it's just is the game also really funny at some points. It is very funny and there's a thing like making me laugh that I'm with.
Speaker 4: It's a bit cheeky. I don't think it's like to adult or anything, but it has some slight nudity, but not a lot. But like there's some butts and stuff, and I think they like play with the human form. There's some fart jokes in it that I think you guys will think are very funny. There's also puzzles throughout it, so sometimes you'll just go into an area you'll be like, what is this all about? And you'll get a puzzle piece and you have to get all of the puzzle pieces to construct the puzzle, which I think is cute. Also, there's four different worlds, which I also don't think is a spoiler, so like Moon last the moon is the last one. Okay, if you do all of the little things, then you actually get to the credits. And I did all of it within two hours, guys, and I loved it. I loved every minute of it. I thought it was like the best Sunday afternoon game I've played in a Dog's Age. I just adored it.
Speaker 1: Did you ever play Minute? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, is it anything like that where it's like, I do remember that being a similar thing where it's like, okay, I got to do a bunch of shit in like one run basically, and that kind of also had that very low fi, you know, art style it did.
Speaker 4: I think sometimes for me Minute was more like how do I navigate doing all this in the same life, whereas I feel like Time Flies is more whimsical and experimental. I found myself playing in this game a lot. I was doing things just to see if I could. And this game toys with you a lot. They'll be like things will be like, oh, this has got to be something, and then it'll kill you, you know what I mean, And you won't get mad because like you just pop back up like it's not a big deal. The last thing that I found was interesting And I don't know what this game is really trying to say with this, but I should mention your life expectancy changes based on the country that you choose to play from, and the country is the average year expectancy of actual humans, but they put it into seconds. Yes, so if you want to play a little longer. You would be like, I'm from Japan, and if you want to play a little shorter, you would pick like a country where the life expension.
Speaker 1: Is really short.
Speaker 4: I don't know why they did that, but there's like there's like facts in it for like a month probably, But in this game, I swear like the longest the longest you can live is like I swear is like picking Sweden and it's like seventy six seconds or something like that. I ended up googling, where's what's the longest life expectancy? I forget that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: I think it's somewhere in Norway, and and I picked that just so I could have the longest life expectancy. There's also differences in the game depending on the country you pick. I found this interesting. In one of the worlds, you're like in an art exhibit, and depending on what you pick, uh, the art will change. And so in one of them, I picked that I was from Korea, and the art said, you don't want to see this art, so we're not going to show it to you because it's like propaganda. Oh interesting, Yeah, I thought that was really long.
Speaker 1: Is the highest?
Speaker 4: That's not what I got.
Speaker 2: States, and Mary, I got bad news for you. You're not gonna last as long as me.
Speaker 1: You're Mike.
Speaker 2: Oh no, New York is number three, Minnesota is number four, in Organ's number twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's got to be why. Why is New York.
Speaker 2: State?
Speaker 1: It's a big state.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because countries, not states. Monaco is the highest with eighty seven years. Other high life expectancies are Hong Hong Kong and Japan. Yeah yeah, and ours is not very super high.
Speaker 1: I'll go to Monico. Okay, I'll go to Hong Kong. Mary, you're going to Japan.
Speaker 2: Japan. I want to go to Japan now. I love Oh there, I like Japan.
Speaker 1: All nice places sound good. Yeah, Hey, this game sounds cool.
Speaker 3: It sounds almost like a twenty twenty one era time loop game like Forbidden City had similar figuring out the order to do things in and then.
Speaker 4: And the puzzles are are sweet and cute and they're not too complicated.
Speaker 5: I I can.
Speaker 4: Sometimes get frustrated with like complicated puzzly games if they're racking my brain too much. Every one of these I was like, oh, I get what you're doing. Like I figured everything out within a couple hours. It's so sweet and short. I just think it's adorable and I was really excited about it, so yeah, that wash time flies.
Speaker 3: Check it outes have you been playing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, give it to baby girl? What else you got playing on?
Speaker 4: I have a couple of other short ones.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna talk about this again.
Speaker 4: I already talked about Peak. I played Peak more.
Speaker 1: It's awesome good.
Speaker 4: They added the ability to eat people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a cannibalism ad, which is so fucking funny because now even like you can basically like kill people intentionally so you can eat them, which I love. I played Undermine too. I think, Dan, did you recommend this to me as well?
Speaker 1: I think give you a code or something like that.
Speaker 5: I played Undermine too.
Speaker 4: This is I never played Undermine, so unfortunately, I'm like, not the perfect person to give.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 4: A rogue light where you like die. Once you die, you have to start all the way from the beginning, and you I haven't gotten too far in it. I think I have only gotten to the second area. It's freaking hard, which is one of my issues with it. But I do like the idea that you essentially kill stuff. There's lots of secrets in each area so that you can build your persona and you pray to gods that you can add different traits to yourself, like longer life, or maybe like you hit stronger, or you have more magic. And you come across different deities and you have to pick one of two special items that you get, which are randomized. Sometimes it's things like more luck, Sometimes it's things like pierce. Sometimes I don't know. Sometimes it's bad and like really not helpful at all, and I found that really strange. But anyway, I'm still kind of getting through it a little bit. I think I need more time with it. I've probably only put like seven hours.
Speaker 5: Into it, but I.
Speaker 4: Think it has potential. I like the fact that you're like in all these areas. You also once you kill every you cannot leave the room. Once you kill everything that's important, and then once you do that, you can explore the room to mine it for gold, look for secrets in the walls. And there's always a boss fight I think at like the end of three rounds, and the boss fights are pretty intense. There's a moth boss for the first boss. It doesn't change out though it's the same boss each time. So it's a bit repetitive.
Speaker 2: Is this early access? I feel like, shit, it was, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: We usually don't review games that are early access. I think I only did this because you sent it to me. It feels early access now that you say that, I.
Speaker 1: Actually it is. I'm looking at now, yeah.
Speaker 4: Because I think that in a game like this, because it's so repetitive Robe Light, you really have to exchange different bosses. That way, you're not playing the same boss fight over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: I bet you even games that I'm in sitting because I played a bit of Undermine one and liked it, but I typically don't play them in early access. I didn't do Hades To do Hades to.
Speaker 1: Really, I didn't do either.
Speaker 2: Rogue Legacy was when I tried, because I love the first Rogue Legacy so much, and two was just like, Okay, this is cool, and once I start getting into it, it's like, oh, hey, keep an eye on our roadmap. We'll do more. And I really don't like that feeling at all. So it's like, I feel like, if I have any interest in the game, I always just kind of wait till the one point zero, and I wonder if it's a similar situation.
Speaker 1: Play Rogue Legacy two again episodes ago.
Speaker 4: We did talk about it a few episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, No, we've we've definitely talked about early access games, but maybe not like in development early access it's just not something.
Speaker 5: We usually make a habit out of.
Speaker 4: And I think like Haites two is a really good example of that, because everyone was talking about it and we were like, you know, I'd just rather wait until it comes out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, does I have a release date?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: This is not this year? Is it is that this year?
Speaker 3: May?
Speaker 1: No? Okay, like that.
Speaker 2: Was like even last year, like John Bombs Game of the Year. People were raving about it and it sounded awesome. Honestly, everything people were saying like made me really want to play it. But it's like I will be thankful that, Like I'm never hurting for things to play, I will be thankful that I wait until it's done.
Speaker 3: When does Hades to one Point oh come out?
Speaker 1: Release?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: September? Okay? No?
Speaker 2: Wait, no, there's no way.
Speaker 1: It's not PC games end who I don't trust ever? Sorry? That is it's early twenty twenty six or end of this year.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like we'd probably hear something this.
Speaker 3: Year two months ago just subreddit. There's the last major update. It was out, so it's close, I guess, and I guess you could play it now.
Speaker 2: I'll play it soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I still have not played Peak.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: It's just it's one of those games. It's like a million different games that it's just like, boy, it would be awesome to get a bunch of people together and play this. But like Mary, I think you're good at this. Like you, you tend to get groups together and play and play things frequently, and I do like.
Speaker 5: To poke friends with it.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 4: We actually been calling it friends slop. I don't know if anyone like I've seen people say about that genre before, but friendslop is like the idea that like, maybe on your own it probably wouldn't be that amazing, but you get four people together and fuck around all night and it doesn't it doesn't matter if you do good.
Speaker 5: It's like irrelevant if you win.
Speaker 4: The point is is that you're fucking around with your friends and like drinking and having a good time together. It's just something to domp.
Speaker 2: So rare that I'm able to do that, like usually it's with like Giant Bomb, Like, Hey, during the day, this is what we do. So it's like you know, repo things like that. Yeah, but yeah, it's just like at night. I just it seems like it be hard, Like I just never play multiplayer games, you know, like it seems like it be a hard thing to put together. You know, I think we're very busy. A lot of we're busy. If a work, It's just like, I don't they would be hard to get a group together where everybody could do it, you know. Yeah, they're fun. I love that stuff.
Speaker 1: Are there any other games?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's people. Uh, Dan you were, Oh yeah, don't worry, I'm I'm the host now, Dan, Ninja Gayden, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ninja Kaid. Rage Bound is really cool. It's yeah, Mike, you're back.
Speaker 1: You're back in distract them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm a fan of the old NES series and I'm a fan of the Three d Ones. And this is definitely obviously hearkening back to more like it's weird, it's tarketing back to Dannys and that it's a side scrolling action game, but the look of it is way more. It kind of looks like a pixel art Saturn two D game, it's incredible pixel art. It's the people that made Blasphemous. So, like I thought Blasphemous was a cool game. I loved the art and everything, but I just like, I don't know, the from Style thing isn't always my favorite deal and that was kind of that like From Style, but in two D this is just kind of a throwback and it's more like a Messenger type you know in Ninja side.
Speaker 4: Scrolling the Messenger. Is it actually like the Messenger?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really, Like I don't think you need to have any nostalgia for Ninja guid In at all to like it because it's like the stuff it does is like you know, in the Messenger you could do that kind of like Perry jump off of like almost that cup Heead style like.
Speaker 5: Jumps in hed The Messenger was the time Ship.
Speaker 2: Well the big shift, like the big twist thing like this does not do that. But again, wow, you want to.
Speaker 1: Talk about it Shindler's list. While you're at it, you talk about who Darth Vader is.
Speaker 2: No, it's it is fairly straightforward. It is like tough platforming action ninja stuff and then really tough cool boss fights. It's very much the like get your ass kick the first time, learn a little bit more of the second time, come back and be to the third or fourth time. On the Bosses, you are like the ninja guy Kinji in body, but there's also the spirit of this Komori, this like ninja girl that like they have different abilities and their parts were like you're utilizing both. It's like, you know it's a ha and a ka if you've played des Stranding, but it plays off that stuff really cool.
Speaker 1: Cause also like Egyptian philosophy.
Speaker 3: I think it's Kajima, but yeah, it's uh he's just co opting these ancient beliefs.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But no, Mary, I think if you like The Messenger, I think you you could definitely find some stuff to like.
Speaker 1: Harry. It is.
Speaker 2: The difficulty is just perfectly balanced. I think where it's just hard enough to where I'm kind of struggling, but when you win, it feels like you won something. It's just a beautiful game. Great soundtrack does Ninja Guide and Proud, it's a good Ninja Guiden near you know, as someone who likes that series. Getting new TD one, new two D one here, getting a new three D one with with four coming out, and I got a Ninja Gaiden two Black remake of so like man for a series that has kind of come and gone at weird intervals, it's this is a big year of Ninja Guidance, so I'm a fan.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 4: I really did love The Messenger, but I never played Ninja Guiden, so like, it's not it's not for me. For like the nostalgia, it would have to be like a good game on its own, independent of all that cool background stuff, child stuff.
Speaker 2: And again, if they didn't even have Ninja Guiden in the title, I would feel the exact same way about it, because again, it doesn't even really look like the old NAS games or play that much like them, So it's kind of not nostalgia at all.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: It's just like, oh, here's like a new, good two D Ninja game. I think you would like it a lot.
Speaker 4: Okay, the last one for me, I'm gonna say briefly because I've only played five hours, so I'm still too early to like really say if this is good. But Mike, mikey uh. There is a new nineties survival horror called Heartworm. It is very much in the vein of Resident Evil one. What I think is cool so far about it is it lets you play uh with tank control or not an atlants, you play like with like really old PS one graphics or PS two graphics, Like you can kind of choose how old school you want this experience to be.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Like the pause menu is Reson Evil one.
Speaker 4: It is it is literally Resident Evil of like your Health the health.
Speaker 1: The health descriptions also are the same. Fine.
Speaker 4: I think you can have six items and it's brutal because like so many times I was like I desperately need this item, and I I didn't have any space. You have to like throw away items or like get you have to get to a trunk to put your items away, and they're only you can only.
Speaker 5: Save in the save spaces.
Speaker 4: So very similar puzzles akin to Resident Evil there was like this one or or Silent Health, And I also think it has a lot of Silent Hills story to it, where she's just like I've always thought about death.
Speaker 5: She sounds like that girl from Edward Scissorhands.
Speaker 4: I've always been strange and un usual, and I always thought about dying. And so I'm going to go to this place and find out what death is really like. And so she's essentially deciding to go into this other universe intentionally because she wants to know what I don't know what's on the other side of life. And so you're in an underworld, which I think is more akin to Silent Hill, you know, like a like a dark world, and it has memories of her from her childhood and her life, but they're distorted and fucked up, and there's monsters.
Speaker 3: Now, Okay, it combines fixed camera with over the shoulder I'm reading in the description.
Speaker 1: How does that work.
Speaker 4: I think that it's mostly those styled camera shots that are still that make it look cinematic, which I like and I've always thought we're really cool.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the description on Steam says it combines over the shoulder and fixed camera.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, like when it.
Speaker 4: Goes all fix Campbell. I. I don't really remember over the shoulder yet, but I will say there was this one time where I go into an alleyway and the camera moves from like a bird's eye view as I'm running to like get closer to me, which I thought was really cool and cinematics, so it like moves around based on like what works for me, But most of the time I think it's still okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, another like remember Signalis several.
Speaker 4: Years Okay, this is my caveat. This is my caveat. I don't think it's as well put together as Signalis. I don't And I played Signalis and I loved it. I think this game is cool. I just don't think it's as scary. I don't think it has as many components as Signalis. But I still think it's interesting and and I like that they're they're trying to make like a nineties horror, So if you're into nineties horr, I think this could be worth checking out. But I think Signalis is like set a real high bar. I have to admit that.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. Any other games.
Speaker 2: I'm at a game I will talk next one about the one? Well, I can say it is Meddle, your Snake Eater remake. I played through in New York, so have either review.
Speaker 1: I guess it's more for Dan. I don't think it would be your kind of game. Mary. Have you played Mafia the Old Country at all? Apparently it's good.
Speaker 2: I heard not the hottest stuff on it.
Speaker 1: Really, reviews I'm seeing are like Eights. Okay, I haven't touched it. I just I've always tried to like that series.
Speaker 3: But I like the idea that this is actually in Sicily and what nineteen hundred or something seems appealing, Cam, I check it out.
Speaker 1: And I don't mean to have a dearth of games.
Speaker 3: I've been playing a very long game for work that I'll be able to talk about.
Speaker 1: I guess down the road, where's your dearth? Where's myth?
Speaker 2: Loser?
Speaker 4: Right here, he doesn't have a death of games.
Speaker 2: Actually shivered when I heard someone start singing just now, God.
Speaker 3: I think you're maybe you're afraid that maybe you're just afraid of how much you deep down actually love music.
Speaker 2: That's probably that's probably what's going on.
Speaker 4: Music lover only be able to appreciate things if they're sung to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's that's the second half of my life?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Just wait, it's coming.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's a joke in theater Camp where the like basically, Okay, so I do want you guys to watch this movie.
Speaker 1: It's it's funny. You don't have to be a theater kid. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: It's basically Amy Sidaris the mom. She is the head of Adirondo Act. It's an acting camp in the Adirondecks. She has a seizure and goes into a coma. So her son Troy, who is Jimmy tetrou like biggest bro ever, has to go take over the camp and keep it afloat. And everybody hates him because he's a bro and it's a theater camp. And he's asking me he's just a dumb ass. And he's asking this dude, Glenn, who is the stage like a stage manager. He's like so, he's like, yeah, so this year's this year's play is a music, a straight play. He's like, wait, so what is this straight plays? I guess there's just no music. He's like, what would a gay play be? He's like, a musical. It's a very funny movie.
Speaker 5: That's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Also, Caroline Aaron, Am I fucking that up? Caroline Aaron raspy voice, she's in it. She's really funny.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I've pitched that movie enof you. Sh'd watch it if you?
Speaker 3: Uh, it's like an hour and a half comedy mockumentary.
Speaker 1: Anyway, do you want to talk about emails?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, technology, Yeah.
Speaker 1: This bit is fun. I do it all the time.
Speaker 3: Okay, as usual, you can write into fire Scape Past at gmail dot com for any questions or comments or concerns you want read on the show. We never read the concerns, but questions are fair game. Uh, that's fire Escape Past at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Mary.
Speaker 3: Actually, Mary, I'll no, yeah, Mary, do you want to read this first one? The first one's not a question, It is a shout out?
Speaker 4: Sure, Hello fire Casters. Oh I like that. Just I know, I feel like we earned that. Fire Caster. All right, Hello fire Caster. Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your podcast over the years, and I was hoping you could give a shout out to my wife as we will soon be on a road trip to go see Oasis in Chicago celebrating our thirtieth wedding anniversary. It is what a huge feat and seeing Oasis sounds amazed. I would love to see Oasis.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I know, Yeah, that'd be amazing. I grew up with them anyway, Sorry, there's more.
Speaker 4: When we go on trips, she often asks if we can listen to those goofy people on my podcast, the one with the guy who eats eggshells thinking they are egg whites. Actually my I've bought one of Dan's books after listening to him on one of our trips discussing his anxiety on the podcast. She used to be an avid gamer back in the day, excelling in games like Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Elemental, Gearbolt, Phantasmagoria, Mortal Kombat, among others. But these days it's Pegl, just Pegl, only Pegl.
Speaker 5: But I have the inspiration.
Speaker 1: Are ok, Darryl need to rescue Pegel?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 4: But I have been an avid gamer since the seventies and I still gain most of old consoles h and I have the current ones. I think I spent too much money and time on the hobby these days. AnyWho, I wanted to give my wife a good shout out for putting up with my gaming over the years and never really complaining about it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Debbie. Happy anniversary.
Speaker 3: I love you, Darryl, Happy anniversary.
Speaker 5: That's a sweetest female.
Speaker 1: Almost as long as I've been alive thirty years.
Speaker 4: High bar for a good anniversary shout out, I mean good work. Yeah. First of all, I just want to say, Debbie, you have been gaming for so long and you have such a good history of gaming you have earned just being a retired PEGL gamer. You can just play Pegel now and recognize that that is what you love. And I think that's cool and so I hope you enjoy Pegel. If you like Pegel, I am going to recommend Peglin, which is Pegel. But you are also like a little goblin going on an adventure pegl goodness, so I think you would like that. But no pressure. Happy anniversary.
Speaker 1: Also, what are your thoughts on Hamilton? Thank you Darryl.
Speaker 3: Dan do you we did trim this one a bit. We got kind of straight to the question and Jeff, we just wanted to trim it for the intense for the purposes of this section. But Dan, if you want to read this second one from Jeff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hello fire Gang, longtime listener, multiple time right in. As you've grown older, how have you learned to cope with changing friend dynamics as people's lives change, careers, moving, marriage, et cetera, as well as learning to let go and move on when your relationship with someone changes so much that it can't be rekindled or is best left for a reconnection later in life. Thanks again for always making the workday go faster. Or my evening walks less lonely that is Jeff, Yeah, that's let's a get older. That's definitely a thing. It's like I feel like in college, especially like you know, everyone's socializing all the time. You all live in the same city, you know, you're all like living in the same dorm and stuff like that. And I think post college is where that can drift apart in things. And I think about that fairly frequently because like I think I'm guilty of like if someone's not in my immediate vision cone you know, if it's not someone I work with every day or I live with, or or is in my city and you know I run into and hang out with frequently, I am the Pott guilty of. Yeah, exactly, Like I'm kind of guilty of like I'm not always the first one to reach out or keep up, you know, and it's never I do worry about that because like I don't want any of my friends to think that like I'm not reaching out because like I don't care anymore or anything like that. It's just like I so kind of have to live in the here and now, like maybe to a fault where it's like just moment to moment, and so that just means the people you know, you guys, Giant Bomb guys, Bonk, you know Ben, folks here in Minnesota, things like that. But it's like I have so many friends from all these places I've lived and jobs I've had and everything that like I'm probably not reaching out to it all and they probably are like, oh, I wonder if you're still friends with me or something, and like the answer is almost always yes. Like I have very few people that I like, am like I don't want to talk to that person, you know, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I hope most people now understand how tiring it can be to keep up with everybody. I feel like most of my friends. I don't have any friends that are dicks about it, like, hey, you don't really talk to me anymore.
Speaker 2: I've had some that are like, oh, I guess we're not friends, like or like I'll hear through a third party that like, oh, yeah, you know this person thinks that like, oh you know, Dan was in town. He didn't reach out. It's like, well yeah, but it's like a stressful thing for me. It's like, especially when I traveled, and it's like like I was in San Francisco and New York just recently, and I was there for two nights each time, and most of that time was with work stuff I had to do. And I did socialize in both instances, but certainly not with everyone at like what every city I go to, I'm not going to text everyone I know and try to figure out timing. It's just like, so I hope I get up in my head about that. In fact, the New York trip was really kind of stressed me out because it's like I know a lot of people in New York and I had very limited time and didn't know how much free time I'd be, like, I hope people don't think like, oh I saw Dan was in town. He didn't even reach out, And it's like it's never that like, oh I don't want to hang out with you.
Speaker 3: It's just that, like, I appreciate you reach out to me. I did, middle Finger. It's all your other friends he didn't reach out to. Absolutely, we didn't hang out.
Speaker 2: Though you are the one they was busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to I got apologies if this sounds I'm purposely trying to be vague because I'm respecting someone's privacy, Dan, I texted you about this.
Speaker 1: I have a friend.
Speaker 3: Who I like grew up with it was very close to until I was like went to college basically.
Speaker 1: Had a few hiccups with.
Speaker 3: His friend growing up in those eighteen years where I was like, oh, that was kind of a shitty thing, and you know, like we didn't hang out, but we were always like every time we hung out, it felt like we had never stopped. Basically recently got some very very bad news from them in no uncertain terms, like their health is like steeply declining where it's the point where I'm like, you know, getting ready to say goodbye, which is nuts. So that was weird because we have not kept in touch a lot in the intervening year since high school, so they kind of came back out of woodwork to tell me this news. So it's a very kind of complex relationship now, like in many ways because I'm trying to figure out I was like, oh, yeah, wow, it's not only a friend that I had kind of emotionally moved on from and didn't worry about keeping up with. All of a sudden, now they're back in a very intense way, and you know, like I want to you know, talk to them and be there for them all the time. So it's like, I guess to answer the emails question, it's like, you don't fucking know what's going to happen in the future with like maybe people, people will come back in your life, and I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Of it, people will leave. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think we're I think if you feel bad about not keeping up with someone, that's probably a sign that you care about them a lot, and maybe you should try to. It can be tiring to keep up with people, but like, I don't know, I feel like it's a trust your gut thing. Like if it's if you are feeling guilty that you're not keeping up with a specific person, that's probably a sign that they mean a lot to you, and maybe you should every once in a while put some time aside to text them. If like you go to a city, like and said, It's like I went to San Francisco and I found out that like so and so was pissed I didn't hang out with them. I was like, oh, I didn't even think of them when I went there. It's probably you know, they have a higher opinion of me than I do of them.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't. That doesn't keep me up at night, but yeah, I don't know. I like.
Speaker 3: I would also say video games are pretty good like that. I have certain friends I only catch up with through video games, Like they can be a good medium friendswap whatever.
Speaker 4: Stay in touch and thoughtful of each other without having to be like what it's all the ship in your life about? You know, like sometimes you just want to see someone and catch.
Speaker 1: Up and say hi, yeah, yeah, and and like yeah.
Speaker 3: And I would also say, like, you don't know what new hobbies you're going to pick up that are going to make you want to reach back out to someone. I have people that now that I'm into like musicals, I talk to a lot more now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and people you talk to less now that.
Speaker 4: They cut us off immediately.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna be phased out of fire Escape.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have to look at the legality a super majority vote here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, genuine question.
Speaker 3: I'm so curious, Like I feel like before this episode, if the audience had been pulled which one of us likes musicals, I highly doubt I would have gotten the most votes.
Speaker 2: It would have been it definitely would have been made so it would have had to be merry. Then I feel like it would have.
Speaker 1: Been merry, like that's what.
Speaker 5: You like musicals?
Speaker 1: If yeah, I think yeah.
Speaker 10: I think that's uh dislike or like sorry, Just so I understand if if people like before this episode were like, hey, one of the fire escape musicals.
Speaker 2: Look, there's no fucking chance anybody would vote me, so it's one out.
Speaker 4: I agree, But I think it's unfair to assume me because I don't think there's a lot of like preconceived notions that I would like musicals. In fact, I think there would be a lot of assumptions that I don't like musicals, and the only thing that you would make the connection of is like, oh like girl like like musical or something like that. But you're the whino. If anything, you're patured, you would like I do weird for people to assume it's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was saying deduction, they would have gone with you.
Speaker 2: But but you are the high society fella. That's misogyny.
Speaker 1: Baby, you're a woman. I stopped.
Speaker 2: Was the one who refused to be in our Best Old Test episode last last time.
Speaker 1: So two women, I'm not.
Speaker 5: Going to show up for that ship i'mn eli.
Speaker 2: People totally would assume it was Mike Yeah, who lives in New York City and loves high society stuff. Yeah, weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we agree, we agree high society stuff. Oh my god, guys, I need to send you photos.
Speaker 2: Some literature dork whyo that lives in New York City and you.
Speaker 1: Don't think about you The next email is about literature.
Speaker 2: You said you put in there because you wanted to talk about literature.
Speaker 1: Don't literally You're right, You're right, You're right. It was not my most self aware comment.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm I agree, But I need to send you photos of some of the most famous wine makers. They are like like dumpy farmers with like yeah, wearing like stone Cold Steve Austin shirts. Yeah, I'm not kidding. Yes, I'll send you photos. That's not always high society and wine. We did open a very big, funny model of wine last night. It was funny because it was bigger, was he saying, Renolds, and bigger.
Speaker 2: Than playing Yeah, is not your costume.
Speaker 5: You guys think so. But I hang out with poors all the time.
Speaker 1: I dumpster dive with beer drinking.
Speaker 2: I buy two hundred dollars invented stone cold shirts off eBay to seem cool and poor.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know we answer Jeff's question at all. I have a.
Speaker 4: Legit answer to this and it is a bit personal. But I think that the person that I will talk about will understand because we have been such We have such a cool story, which is when I moved to Portland, the people that I knew moved away almost within like two months, which was heartbreaking, and they didn't know anyone in Portland and I didn't have any buds here anymore, and that was really hard for me. And uh maybe through a mutual friend I am uh, I.
Speaker 5: Was introduced to Dina Nina Freeman.
Speaker 3: Uh oh yeah, I've interviewed at.
Speaker 4: A game studio. Nina is a game designer. She's also a Twitch streamer, but she's did you.
Speaker 1: Get her name wrong? Is that how far you've drifted Nina Freeman?
Speaker 5: Though I did not say.
Speaker 2: Dina Mary close, you said you said Dina Nina Freeman, and I was like, I wonder if that's her?
Speaker 4: Like Tage, I can't remember everybody's name all the time.
Speaker 2: Definitely said okay, that was a slip of the tongue.
Speaker 1: It's just so funny that you're talking about how you're so close.
Speaker 4: Nina, Nina start right now, captured, damn it.
Speaker 5: Nina is a game designer. She made Sybil, she made.
Speaker 1: Like gone Home, uh uh Home.
Speaker 4: Uh Tacoma and.
Speaker 1: How do you do It? She came on aftercon You're.
Speaker 4: Right, and we met in May, and so she makes these indie games and we met. We became really good friends, and we hung out all the time, and we actually became very close. And we played through a lot of the Silent Hill series together.
Speaker 1: And so silent Hill is a good name, not so silent.
Speaker 4: Hill, and we like talked through all of them.
Speaker 5: We played all of them, and we became very close.
Speaker 4: And then I think during the COVID times, her and her partner decided to move to the East Coast, where their family is from.
Speaker 5: It made more sense for them.
Speaker 4: That's where they wanted to be to like actually like buy a home and like raise a family, and I would it like that really sucks and it's really hard for me. We kind of kept in touch, and ultimately what ended up happening is is we just stopped talking to each other very often, like basically at all. We really don't catch up as much, and it's very rare, but I'd say like once or twice a year we will see each other online and be like, oh my god, I love you. And I still love her to this day, and I think very highly of her, and I know her name, and I appreciate her and her work and I adore her. But I don't speak to her on a weekly or monthly basis anymore. That's just not who I am. I usually am talking to the people who I'm literally hanging around with, and I've lost that touch. But she streams still and I lurk in her streams sometimes just so I can hear her voice. And I don't actually comment or like talk because I don't want to like catch up. I just like her, and so I just want to say, like, this is my opinion, but I'm not good at catching up with people that are no longer in my vicinity. There are people that I love in my life that I don't talk to anymore. But it's not because I don't like them, because they don't live where I live and I'm not going to go get lunch with them, and so I don't. I don't slack them, or I don't text them. I don't email them, I don't talk to them at all, but doesn't mean I don't love them. And so there may be people in your life that you want to reach back out to, and you can take Mike's events by advice and you can reach back out to them, and you can try. But if they don't text you back, my advice to you is it does not mean that they don't care about you and they don't love you.
Speaker 5: They might be focused on.
Speaker 4: What's ahead of them, and you should just enjoy the memories that you have with that person and care about them as much as you want to. I love people in my life, and I love people in my past, and Nina is someone who I spent really good quality times with in my past and I will love her forever even if I don't talk to her anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very It sounds like Dina.
Speaker 3: Nina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Showina.
Speaker 4: Dina and I are super close.
Speaker 1: Text her right now. I'd be like, hey, Dina, how you doing, dude?
Speaker 4: If she listens to this, she's gonna be like, you fucking idiot.
Speaker 5: I tried to say.
Speaker 4: Something, nigh.
Speaker 3: It's Nina Freeman.
Speaker 5: She made h She made a lot of indie games. Check them out on Steam.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jef.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like you know, I got my old friends. You know, Jim Turry, he's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love to like to catch up with Jim Turry and it's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, competent ship this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jerry Shreyer, Yeah, yeah, good friend.
Speaker 1: Jerry Schreyer myself. Your good wine kind of wine?
Speaker 2: I got it from a bottle.
Speaker 5: I'd have to go downstairs and get it.
Speaker 3: You got the wine from a bottle? Yeah, that's often how it happens.
Speaker 2: Didn't ever tried wine from cans? Is that a thing that somebody tried to make?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Ok, good, there's a rose one that was going around.
Speaker 4: I was just in cans.
Speaker 3: I had a really fucking funny joke there. I'm gonna tell you guys about I was walking. I was walking through my neighbors To judge of whether or not it's funny, Mike, I was walking through my neighborhood with uh, some friends, and a cop rode by on a bicycle and I said it. I was like, why the fuck do we need bicycle cops? And then there was like a two second beat, and then I said, and also, how did that bicycle become a cop.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 4: It's not that shrimp fried rice energy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No, you tell me a Rice, go and give her, give her time.
Speaker 1: You tell me a shrimp rice. It's a good bit.
Speaker 4: You tell me a Rice.
Speaker 3: Barry gets up on stage and just fucks up the first joke and walks.
Speaker 2: No ever, Caesar again just walks into the ocean.
Speaker 4: Are you guys? You're wheel at the crowd serve.
Speaker 1: Here you jump in just pancake on the floor. Yeah, thank you. Jeff in this podcast, all right.
Speaker 2: No, he would say that's his fucking book thing, because yeah, because he's not the highest society guy.
Speaker 3: You guys have read books before. Okay, I don't know you guys might remember this. Uh hey, fire Escape. I wrote Earli this year about my goal of listening to a thousand albums by December. Well, I hit my goal in May. A thousand albums in five months is crazy.
Speaker 2: An hour on average, probably, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you really would have had to have been moving on. Okay, Yeah, cool, I listened to the thousand albums of it December.
Speaker 1: I hit my goal in May.
Speaker 3: I listened to all your album recommendations, enjoyed every single one awesome, So he probably listened to Evil Friends by Porsch Cole Demand, one of my favorites. I've been working on a new goal, trying to set aside time to read every single day. Right now I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov, which would take me a long.
Speaker 1: Time to read.
Speaker 3: It's a really fucking good book, but once again, I need some res for what to read. Next to my question is what are some novel recommendations you have that are your favorites or that you find the most life changing.
Speaker 1: Nathan from New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: Uh, okay, so Mike probably has a much deeper well to come to draw from and probably marry it too. Yes, I'll give my dumb guy answers here. As far as like a novel I've read in recent years that I really liked, it's a little indie one called bram Stoker's Dracula. I read that I thought that was really good. Mike also recommended the couple to me that I really liked.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: There was a period where I was actually reading fairly frequently in New York. Mike a visit from the goon Squad that was one, and what was the Russia one from the Linda Laws.
Speaker 1: That's the one that inspired Last of Us.
Speaker 2: Good City through Russia or something.
Speaker 1: Something in the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the David Benioff from Game of Thrones wrote, it's really good.
Speaker 2: But I did enjoy that a lot like Mike you do.
Speaker 1: In the Last of Us part to ship. I'll look it up.
Speaker 2: I can't remember it, Mike, Like in that period where I was actually reading fairly regularly, you all of your recommendations really hit for me. Except for the one about the City of Thieves. Yeah, except for the one about the guy surfing, because it was just like fucking six hours of reading the guy describing waves.
Speaker 1: Oh that I fucking love.
Speaker 3: My wife's cousin is reading it now and we waxed about it.
Speaker 2: For me, that was your only miss. Everything else I ever recommended it was awesome. A couple other just real quick ones, gaming lighthearted uh uh, life story thing Mike Drucker good friend of mine, A good game note rematch he just put out. I was laughing out loud throughout the entire fucking book. It is tremendous just to collect like he's about my age, played like very similarly, so, very relatable, very just like, yeah, he worked in Nintendo Late Night comedy, like incredible career life. If you like wrestling, Max's autobiography is fantastic, John Moxley's is great. And then if you're into kind of like getting into like meditation and things like that and kind of learning a bit of a how to of that, the first kind of entry level one. I've read a ton of books on mindfulness, meditation stuff. Wherever you Go, There You Are by John Cabot Zen is a great entry level one into that.
Speaker 3: Hold on, yeah, the guy, the guy who wrote a book about Meditation's last name is Zen.
Speaker 1: It's z I n. Yeah. That's a very okay, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that's that's that's a good first name.
Speaker 1: Crentised. Yeah, no, yes, is really good.
Speaker 3: That's a quick read, too, fairly quick, Mary, you have any.
Speaker 4: I think my book tastes are probably not for this crowd. I read mostly fantasy smut so ill.
Speaker 1: That people I don't know seres and which is fucking yeah and sucking.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing, just to be clear, uh I my tastes generally because you know, I work a lot and I don't want to read something too serious. Usually when I read, I read deep fantasy that is very opposite from like the movies that I would watch. The movies that I like are generally horror. You guys know that I like to be scared when I watch film. When I read, I like to watch, like I like to read things that are like, Wow, there's fairies everywhere, and there's dragons, and this guy's super hot and we're gonna bang, and like that's escapism for me. It allows me to really get out of my head and stop thinking about work. I recommend a Court of Thorns and Roses by uh Sarah Moss and Fourth Wing, which is what I'm I think I'm on the third book now. I should have finished it by now, but I haven't. Sorry, And that is about dragons. So if you like dragons, Fourth Wing.
Speaker 1: Is that also smut with dragons.
Speaker 5: It is also smart.
Speaker 4: It's by Rebecca Yaros, And so like the idea of Fourth Wing is there's I mean, it's it's generally what you sound. It sounds like you get to pick you if you're smart enough and strong enough and you can survive, you get paired with a dragon. Then you like fight in wars and stuff, and it's like a girl who like is so she like gets paired with a dragon, but there's also a dude and he's like super hot and they bang.
Speaker 1: That's it nice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I find it really cathartic, just in the sense where I certainly ain't thinking about work when they're like I'm writing this dragon, but I wish I was writing Tom and it's like cool, like you know, like that's exciting for me and like it just gets me out of my head one hundred percent and like so like that's my thing. But I don't think that's what normal, Like, I don't think that's what like a lot of people probably prefer to read. So I can understand that that's not everybody's cup of tea. I will say, I'm very curious what you think, Mike, but I just want to say I have a lot of anxiety.
Speaker 5: This weekend.
Speaker 4: I downloaded your audio book, Dan, and I listened to your entire I listened to your entire audiobook this weekend.
Speaker 1: Really did you narrate it? I?
Speaker 5: Yes, he did.
Speaker 2: They wanted they wanted the hire a bo actor to do it, and I thought it was really weird that like I can't imagine my words and my personal story being some actor. So like I talked them into me going in and recording the whole thing. I did not know you did that, Mary Is that did it this weekend.
Speaker 5: I did it Saturday. I was having a hard time getting out of my head.
Speaker 4: I I think it's I think it's I think it's helpful as especially as a beginner's guide of like reflecting and thinking. It's also nice because as practical examples you talk about like real examples of you being in school and being like, I need to not take this class. I'm too anxious. I don't want to speak in front of a class. I think that's, like some things that's very relatable and a lot of people can understand. And I also think it's endearing that, like, you know, for what you do for a living, which is obviously very much about putting yourself out there, it was obvious that you had severe anxiety about doing that originally, and so it's nice to see how you've You've taken a lot of baby steps to overcome it. So I thought that was really nice. So yeah, I thought it was lovely. I also think it's nice In your book, you use like very few large words. It's not a very complicated experience. I think you could read this to your children night before they go to bed. I think this is for any kid or adult that's like I just kind of want to talk about my anxiety. I think that is literally what this is. It's like, I will just tell you my story with anxiety, and it will help bring maybe some peace into your world that you're not alone like a lot of people having pretty much everybody, but like not a lot of people have clinical anxiety, and it's not weird.
Speaker 1: To talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and that is why I did it. It's just because, like I think that like if I had heard someone talk about this stuff back when I was first struggling with it, I would have been like, oh that feels better. No, I'm not like alone with this thing. But I also wanted to go to like lengths to be like, I'm not a doctor, and this is an approachable book from just a normal person. So that's great to hear. Thank you.
Speaker 5: I didn't know, Yeah it was, well, it was recommended to me.
Speaker 4: I wonder why I assume Spotify knew Spotify recommended it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, all right, I don't know if I've ever told you this joke. I think I said it to Jake about your book because I read it back in twenty fifteen something like that. I had a joke that maybe you'll find funny, uh.
Speaker 1: Or you'll be insulted.
Speaker 2: I'm either.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, it's a great book.
Speaker 3: But now I have an anxiety attack every time I watch Gangs in New York. Oh yeah, yeah, but it's a dumb joke.
Speaker 1: It's like the reverse. It triggers me now, it's.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, yeah, yeah, because you were in the first one. Yeah, I had a second one during Lord of the Rings Two Towers, I can't remember that was in the butt was in New York. Was the New Year's Eve one, and then like whenever Two Towers came out, that was the second one. And I was like, what's going on with me in movie theaters?
Speaker 5: You know, like that's in the book.
Speaker 4: But I don't think you just maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you said the movie. I think you just said I was in the movie theater and I kept having panic attacks in movie theaters, which I.
Speaker 2: Sit in the bathroom, and I was like, I'm fucking dying.
Speaker 3: What is that New York was in the book was the first Year Two Towers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just think it's nice. I don't have severe panic attacks or like severe anxiety, and I don't think I have clinical anxiety, but just like regular people, I havingnxiety. I was struggling sleeping because I was like, think about work. We have a lot of pressure going on at work, and like I'm thinking about stuff that is past due and it's freaking me out. And like I I was just I was really unable to get out of my head, if that makes sense. I couldn't get out of my head. And there's only a few things that really really get me out of my head. And again, horror movies absolutely, because I'm like that person's gonna die. I can't think about work when that's happening. And often metal like loud music concerts, things like that that are like heavy will get me out of my head because it's I don't know, it's intense and people are like mashing and shit like that. That will get me out of my head. So I actually gravitate towards things that force me to get out of my anxiety.
Speaker 2: It's like century overload type things your brain doesn't get a chance to have a break to I mean, how could.
Speaker 4: You possibly and yeah, I mean I'm not being stabbed.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna tell you what horror movie just spoiled, but just to be any of them of them?
Speaker 5: Yeah, anyway, Yeah, I couldn't. I couldn't get out of it. I listened to an anxiety booked help me.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, awesome to help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little bit, I think I.
Speaker 2: Think it was so fine.
Speaker 1: With that helped me a little bit. That would be my fun.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 3: It was fine, and then there's mine under it. It's like I can't watch gangs in New York anymore.
Speaker 2: It is funny because like I've thought about, like because I wrote that ten years ago, and like I say in the book, that was like, anxiety is not a thing that it's a chronic thing. I'm not going to be like, oh I'm never having that.
Speaker 5: You're not solving it. The point of it isn't to solve it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the thing is like in that ten years I am still like literally today I was in therapy talking about my anxiety and stuff like that. And so it's like I do have another ten years of like growth and learning and things like that stupid would be the right. Anxiety is an ally to like just put like a number of.
Speaker 4: Still anxiety anxious, Yeah, anxiety.
Speaker 3: Anxiety is an ally too colon. I'm still anxious.
Speaker 2: A lot I could talk about.
Speaker 4: It's just like to bring it on, sequel, bring it on some more.
Speaker 2: Anxiety harder.
Speaker 4: It's still here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anxiety, Yeah, yeah, I've got I will actually say I hate when people say no, I don't hate when people say you mentioned like, what are some books that were life changing? I will say my favorite book of all time that I actually gave me more appreciation for life and people like so it kind of changed my life is One hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: I was reading it's it's a fairly long book and it's dense as hell. Well I remember reading that and like halfway through it not knowing exactly where he's going. And then the more and more you get through the book toward the end, I remember thinking, I don't understand how a human wrote this. This is like an alien that had been studying humanity from Afar for a thousand years finally wrote a book to distill what humans are like the book. The book is about the like I think something like eight generations of one family living in this village in South America, and so the book starts with like the patriarch and the matriarch and then goes all the way through to their great great great great great grandchildren. I will also say it's magical realism, so some weird shit happens that's presented as quotidian like normal. Most of my favorite authors are like magical realism, like Orge sorry, Jorge Luis bor Has, who's Argentine writer. I also love his stuff. He's only ever done short stories. But if you can get Labyrinths collection like same thing he's I would consider him a genius. But yeah, one hundred Years of Solitude is like I remember putting that book down and feeling like I was actually.
Speaker 1: Different.
Speaker 3: It sounds so fucking stupid, but and it sounds like hoity toity, but it's an incredible book, one of the most unreal. I think it's my favorite like work of art. It's incredible. I will also say anything by a Teleo Calvino in the same vein. He's an Italian magical realist writer invisible Cities, it's not so much a novel as it is, like he goes through these imaginary in imaginary city invisible cities. I don't know one of those two one of my favorite books. I can't remember the name. It's like Dina, he goes cities. Yeah, if on a winter's night of travel. Yeah, it's amazing. And then I will say less like it wasn't life changing, but just the way it's constructed is amazing. It's like kind of reading a video game A House of Leaves by Marxie Daniel Luski.
Speaker 2: I've owned that for like fifteen years, and I keep meaning to read it. I love these shit like it does fun gimmicky things you know, with like yeah, text and blank pages and stuff like that, it seems really cool.
Speaker 3: You should it's I will say, it's not as long as it looks, because in true, like God, that books so fucking cool. The back, like one hundred pages or something, is like the mass Effect codex, where if you really want to dive into the book, it's like, uh, it's not an index, it's it's like the research papers that one of the characters has been reading in the story. You can actually look at what he was reading and get into the lore of stuff. So again, it's kind of video gaming.
Speaker 2: But remember there were like clockwork, oarring e'er. I had a glossary where it's like, all, yeah, Deva means this and yeah.
Speaker 3: But House of Leaves for those who are familiar is it was one of the biggest inspirations for control from remedy entertainment. If you've seen people reading it in public, it's kind of infamous for people like rotating the book to read it and public on subways. But uh yeah, he it's it's also a horror book. I should warn people. It gets creepy and it's like, uh, what's the kind of horror. It's unsettling horror. He basically discovered hill. He discovered he moves into this house in Massachusetts, I want to say, and he's going through marriage problems. It's like the it's one of those things where the book is kind of a metaphor for his marriage.
Speaker 1: Following he discovers this.
Speaker 4: Did he get divorced after?
Speaker 1: Have you not read it? Mary? You would love it?
Speaker 3: Of all people, I would say this might you would love it. I think Lucy also loves that book too.
Speaker 1: It got big.
Speaker 3: It blew up again on social media after Alan Wake two, but like I read it before that, so I'm cooler than all those people.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he he.
Speaker 3: Finds a doorway on the end, like on an exterior wall of his house that has a like it's a closet that should not exist. He goes because it's it should technically lead out of the house.
Speaker 1: But there's like and the wardrobe. It doesn't lead somewhere else.
Speaker 3: It's just a little closet that should technically be jutting out from the house, but when he looks at it from the outside, it's just the wall of the house. And each time he goes through this door, it starts building this like impossible space underground below his house, and they go on expeditions into it, and sometimes it's like miles longer than it was before. But it's just like the sense of creeping dread in that book. It's not it's it's a I hope I'm probably selling it terribly. It's an amazing book, but like, if you're not up to be a bit creeped out, it's not a it's not the best book to read.
Speaker 1: Like at night, like a creepy book.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. I love it, but yeah, I'd say one hundred years slitude. I will also say one more.
Speaker 1: Brothers.
Speaker 3: Caramelzov is amazing, Like for I don't know Dan, you know, nor McDonald was very well read. He loved like Russian literature. I will say Russian literature is like between for as like high Falutin as it sounds. You read it and you're like, oh shit, I get why these are classics. These are hilarious, they're poignant, they're incredible stories like they're they're approachable as hell, still like they're long as hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard the moth joke. I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that, he's just.
Speaker 3: Emulating Malbakov and told Stoy with that and dol Stoevsky. But like Brothers, Scarmes is unreal, Nathan, So you're already on good track there. But I will also say All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Door. He wrote the book Cloud at List that the movie is based on, which Cloud out Lists is actually back you right now, All the Light We Cannot See You You Towoul also like that book.
Speaker 1: It basically this.
Speaker 4: War is too real. I love it when it's like there's a demon and he's in the closet.
Speaker 1: Wait how do you know it's about war.
Speaker 5: Because anything important is usually about war.
Speaker 3: And I've heard there's All the Way we Cannot see is now a Netflix show that sucks, So I don't watch the show. The book is equal parts Indiana Jones meets like serious literature, which is what makes it great because it's basically it's during World War Two. They're at Mont Saint Michel. It's this, uh you can look it up. It's off the coast of Normandy. There's a causeway Mary, you were talking about twenty eight years later, but like during high tide, you the road narrows up.
Speaker 4: But maybe they read it and they were like, this would be a great zombie movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably about high Tide. But uh no, it's it's a a father who lives there with his blind daughter during the war, and so like it starts off and he's building like mini replicas of the city to like so she could feel it and he can kind of tell her what it's like. However, there's also a parallel plot about a Nazi like colonel lieutenant trying to track down these famous gems that went missing from the museum in Paris.
Speaker 1: So like it's equal part.
Speaker 3: It's Indiana Jones Adventure and there's Nazis and this really touching story about a father and daughter and it's just it's fairly long, but I went through, I think in a weekend. It's the most readable thing ever, really really good. And then the daughter befriends I think a Nazi soldier. If memory serves, it's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One hundred years Solitude is like, is the is the book to read before you die?
Speaker 1: If anybody ever? That's my official answer for that. But anyway, thank you, Nathan. That's our episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I said, Firescape past at gmail dot com sending questions where you guys read like eight emails.
Speaker 1: Again when I was gone, it looked like based on the run of show, is that.
Speaker 5: Dan is like, I love reading four hundred emails.
Speaker 1: I love Are you doing it to get under my skin? No?
Speaker 2: Never, it's never been a bit. It's just like at all, No, I thought about me and I like answering emails. Pull a bunch in there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Dan doesn't have an evil bone in his body. I didn't. I don't even think he questions other people in his life. He's just that obtuse.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to take a compliment to Really, I'm dizzy after that one.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ. That comment was a work of literature.
Speaker 2: Just it was so thank you to wait, what is Jesus Christ?
Speaker 1: She's called me a dumb ass.
Speaker 2: I don't know where I am.
Speaker 3: That was the most Mary, you are the most vicious of all three of us. And it comes out of nowhere. And I've got you think I have gotten used to it after ten years now, I have not.
Speaker 1: It's anyway, he.
Speaker 2: Didn't have a.
Speaker 1: So much.
Speaker 2: He's a dip ship.
Speaker 1: What he's not?
Speaker 3: He's not evil, he's just a uh yikes, that's our episode.
Speaker 1: Try to move on.
Speaker 4: I multiple friends on this one.
Speaker 1: Yes, what do you have? What do you have going on?
Speaker 3: Aside from reconnecting with Dina Nina Hamilton Again.
Speaker 5: I'm not reconnecting with Nina. That was the whole point of that.
Speaker 4: I I am still streaming on Twitch every Monday. I am not listening to musicals. I don't have anything else that's going on in my life.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, I don't give a ship, Dan, What do you got going on?
Speaker 2: Giant bomb dot com that's the whole thing. Giant bomb dot com, slash Join support Independent Games Media we're killing it over there, and I'm about to make Jeff Grubb play Jurassic Park trespasser. If you don't know what that is, it's going to be a very special thing. So check out giant bomb dot com and then I'm Dan Reicherd on whatever.
Speaker 3: So cool, Mary, I'm kind of fucking annoyed you didn't mention that we're back with Resident Evil.
Speaker 5: We are back with Resident.
Speaker 1: Eleven months, Dan, do you know do you know the context of this?
Speaker 2: I saw that, like I saw people being like, holy shit, a new episode.
Speaker 3: They're like, I don't, I truly don't know how it got eleven months.
Speaker 1: So okay, it's funnier.
Speaker 3: Because before reback, we got nine tenths of the way through the game, like literally before the Krowsier knife fight, and then just didn't post an episode.
Speaker 1: For eleven months. I mean, I get it.
Speaker 2: It's a miracle sometimes that we get the three of us together for a few hours.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a.
Speaker 3: Comment there's like, yeah, there's like eleven months, y'all have not been that busy, And I want to respond to like, you just bought yourself another eleven months.
Speaker 1: I forgot.
Speaker 3: Comment.
Speaker 4: No, there's yeah, there's no excuse in the world. But we were busy and we did one.
Speaker 1: Mary had to come back to a game.
Speaker 3: It is arguably maybe the most difficult boss fight in that game that she had to then krowser crowser. In the remake, I would actually say, fucking Salazar is tough.
Speaker 2: Changed that one, right, I haven't played.
Speaker 3: They added the new arena. But then also, yeah, he like puts minds all over the floor. I would actually say it is not good.
Speaker 4: You said that when we played it, you were like, I don't care for this boss.
Speaker 3: By watching, I was like, it cemented I don't like it. That's a whole lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're back.
Speaker 3: I think the finale is probably the next episode. But yeah, that's that's not a paid thing. If that's just on our YouTube channel to go subscribe there so you know when the next one comes up, whether it's next week or next year. We'll finish revenue for a remake, and then we got to figure out what else because we want to play other stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to figure out the next one.
Speaker 3: Revelations two is one of the lost episodes, as is the what the Hell is the Jake campaign from Reznievil six. Yeah, we played all the other two. We played Chris's and Leon's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were like, mad, there's four, isn't there?
Speaker 1: Four? Oh eight? Us you unlock when you're four. Yeah, we haven't played rough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fun playing through it because we thought you can share the misery.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Five was the one that actually like did not talk for a few days after that episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's back.
Speaker 3: And then if you're listening to this, there's a new episode. We were a bit late because I was traveling. But Vine and I have a new Mike and Vinnie Save the World up on fire Escape that is paid. You have to be a video Tier member for that. And then we're also playing an evil campaign over on next Lander itself. If you're not a Patreon patron for next Lander, you should be.
Speaker 1: Those guys are.
Speaker 3: Great and we've been playing those two parallel campaigns and they're it's going even better than I had hoped for because the campaigns are so fucking different. Uh, to struggle in the fire Escape one. But I think we're turning the tide finally or in episode twelve or something. That's a very fun show. I like playing Warhammer with Vinny in the mornings over coffee. Yeah, we'll be back in two weeks. I'm gonna work on that mouse pad.
Speaker 1: Yeah wait, I gotta right.
Speaker 2: I mean you did say you're going to do it, so I think, yeah, that'll probably be.
Speaker 3: On fourth fourth Wall did reach out and say, uh, do you guys, we'd love to offer you like a free design. Just give us the prompt and we'll make it for you. I wonder if she would ask why I'm saying, hey, can you get us a mouse pad that says I didn't care for Hamilton and there's a moon and will world suck my dick?
Speaker 2: I think I trust you to make that make it.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying I don't know if we want to ask fourth Wall because they reached out.
Speaker 5: I wanted to do like a like it's like a stitched, like a.
Speaker 2: Stitch like, yeah, made it, God bless us thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, God bless this mess type situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, I live laugh love sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll be back in two weeks the next episode Fire Skreet What episode is this like one hundred and thirteen something?
Speaker 2: Sure you could sell anything.
Speaker 1: I think I will go back.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with episode one hundred and thirty four in a couple of weeks until then.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're missing something.
Speaker 4: Are we stay hot?
Speaker 3: Mary?
Speaker 1: Mary usually fucks up the merch.
Speaker 2: Stay wet, Yes, stay wet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yikes, that's a that would be a good mass pad too.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, make the while you're in the back the wet Yeah.
Speaker 4: Old, Then where's our emails?
Speaker 1: I want to be I want to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to be cremated unless my wife agrees to put a shirt on my dead body at the open casket wake and the shirt just says stay wet.
Speaker 2: But no, Dick hanging out, no.
Speaker 3: Figure out how to make me e wrecked when I'm dead.
Speaker 2: They do the taxidy people can totally do that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, no, no, no, no, no, I'm saying I need something.
Speaker 2: Meldehyde playing above your dead face.
Speaker 3: I want a fluffer at my funeral to make sure I stay hard when I'm dead.
Speaker 2: Church.
Speaker 4: That's how Dick's work dis work. Happy anniversary, Debbie and Darryl.
Speaker 5: We're so happy for you.
Speaker 3: Crazy yeah good way, not crazy.
Speaker 4: Not in a weird way, but in a supportive way.
Speaker 3: Debora, Daryl happy Universo, deb and I enjoy enjoy a sauce the band. I hope they sing wander Wang, we'll see you next episode.
Speaker 2: By Hamilton. People marries the enemy Shamblton.
Speaker 1: He's called Shamilton Hamilton. Hamilton is funny.
Speaker 2: That's what Mary said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna get You're gonna get fucking Hamilton hate some little theater, the little gonna get me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna sing insults that.
Speaker 5: She's a bit.
Speaker 1: Exactly how I go? Yeah, are we out? I already?
Speaker 2: Did you kept the stuffer?
Speaker 9: H h
Speaker 3: H