Speaker 1: Five o five about k r C the talk station, Happy Monday. You are fired, so say it, Donald Trump to the sixteen hundred us A positions, and there's probably a pretty good reason for that. We can discuss that this morning. Up beyond that, let's discuss what's on the rundown this morning. And Uh, I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Parenthetically, I have very nice weekend, so I hope you had one as nice as Mike.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Today six oh five, this is going to be rather interesting. I know my listener friend Jay out there who's been very concerned about medicaid wasting the state of Ohio. Every time it comes up, you usually hear from Jay with a comment on it. We did hear from Jennifer Gross on that topic Representative Gross during the program last week, and you can find that podcast at fifty five care sea dot com. Confirming that they had done an audit and their audit sampling, if I recall correctly, revealed it about twenty five percent of the medicaid payments we're going to people who don't even live in the state. It's the state program for people in the state of Ohio. And since it's the largest expenditure in government in Ohio, and you and I as Ohio taxpayers are paying a giant chunk of it. We think it's a worthy other Jay out there, I and anybody else who cares about fraud, wasted abuse and government think it's a worthy endeavor to chase this stuff down. So now that they've identified this, are they going to do something about it? I've got my pop worn out to wait and find out. But we talked with auditor Faber previously earlier in the year, back from actually January of twenty three. I can't believe it's been that long, and he if I recall correctly, and we're going to hear this together. Joe did a mashup of it for the six which is why I'm long winded introduction to what was going up with what's coming up on the program. He downplayed it a little bit and didn't seem to think it was that large of a deal or that it was very complicated and difficult to deal with a challenging situation. Well, fast forward to the audit and the reality that yes, they did identify a substantial amount of what could be fraud could just be erroneous payments which would be well, some element of fraud, waste. It will be waste. I suppose, perhaps abuse. I don't know if it's an intentional of sending out of these medicaid checks. But in the final analysis, that seems to be kind of low hanging fruit. Let's talk about that in connection with what DOGE is doing. You know, they identified twenty million dollars for Irani and Sesame Street, and you think, what in the hell's how does that our taxpayer money end up in that kind of program. Well, that's low hanging fruit, indefensible. Go ahead and try to defend it and cannsidering the sorry state of affairs in terms of the American dollar and the amount of money that goes out of government. Anything is worth going after. I don't care about this. Oh that's just a drop in the bucket kind of crab. Anything is worth going after if you are hemorrhaging money and spending more than you are taking in. So any family budget would include something along those lines. Oh my god, our credit card bills are going up. No, you can't buy that thing that we really don't need, that you just kind of want right now because it's going to make you feel good. For about five seconds. We need to cut that out of our budget. But it's just a tiny know, it doesn't matter. My wife's that way like some kind of five dollars subscription or something and should get all over me about why do you even why do you have that? It's like, well, it's like five bucks, and then if you're put in a position where you have to justify it, you can sit there to get this sort of own Well, okay, I guess you know you're right even though it's only five bucks. So anyway, we're gonna Joe, did that, like I said, a mashup, So Jennifer Gross with the last week's conversation coupled with the earlier conversation from January of twenty three, Joe, it's been that long. My word, I swear time goes flying by the older. I get somebody out there is nodding an approval on that. It is Monday. Christopher Smithmen, former Vice mayor of the City of Sincinnat, with the Smith Event every Monday at seven to twenty. I love talking to him, getting his thoughts and comments about whatever is, whatever's under his skin and money Monday with Brian James every Monday, at eight o five Today, we'll talk about consumer sediment falling, could doge cause a market correction, So say the market is overvalued. Warren Buffett's surprisingly getting rid of a lot of his stocks and putting his money in cash. That's a kind of a warning sign right there. Home sales dropped in January pretty substantially. It's the price of homes are too high and the interest rates are too high, so a lot of Americans that otherwise would have bought a house or wanted to buy a house aren't, resulting in the drop of home sales. And finally, Americans are apparently cash poor, inflation soaking up more than dollars that Americans would otherwise spend out. I saw this article and I didn't print it out, but I think it was Wall Street Journal this morning that the wealthiest ten percent are really supporting the entire American economy. They're on a big spending spree because they've got money, and everyone else is sort of diving into their savings to help deal with the well costed groceries and otherwise the overall inflation. So I hope that the Trump administration could get something done now. I wouldn't expect him to be able to deal with inflation in the first month in office. That's more of a long term project. But please, Dear God, come up with something that can help us deal with inflation in this country because it's just killing people's well sentiment and resulting in people getting rid of you losing out on savings and savings is extremely important. And tomorrow, and it's a little warning shot by Joe Strecker on the run, Now keep your fingers crossed in mine are vva grammar swimming is supposed to be on the fifty five KC Morning Show tomorrow announce his bid for governor. And he actually has some good ideas and at least in an abstract concept ten thousand foot level. He was interviewed by NBC News. He said, for me, the leading from the front here in Ohio and seeing setting an example for the rest of the country and frankly, even bringing some of the principles of efficiency and spending and deregulation to our state will be the way that I, as a leader would be able to have the biggest impact. Focusing on freeing up the Ohio for education choice, merit pay for teachers as opposed to the current status quo, which others have talked about merit pay and that would attract the best and right his teachers. So hopefully our children will be better educated in the state of Ohio. So it's a difference between some. Sorry, David Yost had some comments on that. Of course, he has entered the race. He actually entered earlier than expected. He was in a mid January Robert Sprague was going to run, but he said no, since Ramaswimmy's in it. He threw his support for Ramaswimmy in this month instead of launching a separate bid. And then finally Lieutenant Governor Jim Tressel, former football coach, indicated that he might seek the endorsement, but we haven't seen any action from him as of yet. Internal pro wings showed by Ramaswimmy and Yost showed that both well GOP voters in Ohio like both of them, and they say a Trump endorsement might put one or the other ahead of the pack. But according to NBC, without a Trump endorsement or other information about Ramaswimming or Yos factor to the equation, Ramaswimmy has led both of the campaign polls Ramaswimmy wouldn't comment when he asked how confident he was receiving Trump's support. Yost said he has not discussed the race with Trump, but hoped he would have a conversation in terms of his vision Ramaswammy energy dominance, manufacturing dominance, and AI dominance. He talked about phasing out the state's income tax and shaking up K through twelve education by promoting homeschooling and instituting a merit based pay system for public school teachers. Specifically on that merit pace and I know I mentioned a moment ago merit based pay for teachers, he said, merit based pay for principles, administrators and superintendents. The best teachers deserve to be paid much more than they are right now, and yet they're not because there's no meritocracy in compensation. And that'll take the states that would make the state a magnet for the best educators across the country. They say, past Republicans and legislatures that have well tried to do this never ever ever made it into law. In spite of the fact that Republican governors and Republican legislatures have been dominating the entire state of Ohio now for quite some time. Yet they can't get it off the dime. Teachers unions and lobbying groups, of course, have tried to put a barrier to it. Ramaswamy said, I would tell you that it is a uniting issue across parents across the state. My view is, I'm not going to pick a fight with anybody. I'm not going to seek a fight with the teachers unions or anybody else. What I'm going to stand for is the achievement of our students. I don't think a standard politician can get that job done. I do think it's going to be it's going to take somebody with fresh legs, a governor who's willing to drive real change. I think that's going to require a leader for our moment that was a little different than our traditional politician, and that's a big part of one I'm called into this race as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: We'll see what he has to say about that, and of course he's on the program tomorrow. I will certainly press him on some of those things. And there's a new US Census Bureau released its latest net domestic migration report last month. Guess who's the winner in terms of the state migration, low tax states and states with better education opportunities. Maybe vvex onto something. Texas love the nation highest net in migration. Between January twenty twenty three or July twenty three and July twenty four, which is the latest point in time when they have data, eighty five thousand people went moved to Texas, followed by North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Texas. Those states alone added three hundred and fifty thousand new residents. And what they have in common low taxes, fewer burdens and regulations and policies that foster economic opportunities. Contrasts that with policieds that stifle competition opposed high cost on businesses. Yeah, California largest net outflow nearly a quarter of a million people left over one year. The last five years, California lost more than one point four million people. Hmm, profound economic loss. They noted in the study as well that also compounds california fiscal difficulties. Twenty twenty four, the loss of people contributed to a forty seven billion dollar budget deficit. Moving over to New York, Illinois, New Jersey, Massachusetts, other high tax states significant out migration there too. Combined, those five states lost nearly half a million residents, accord to the Census Bureau report. Common thread over reliance on high taxes, excessive regulation, policies that discourage business growth. And I love this observation and I've made I made note about this many many times, out Loued on the Morning Show. You know you don't write the ship and you don't do something about it, then everyone's gonna lose out it. What's your favorite pet project? What do you think needs to be funded? Well, sorry, sucks to be you. People have left. We're gonna have to raise taxes to show the budget up. That's gonna cause more people to leave. The irony is that the promise of fairness and security often produces the conditions that drive away the states, those that the states hope to serve. When I read that, I was thinking of socialism and communism. Look what happens the countries that adopt those policies. Oh, it's each according's ability to each according is need. Everybody's gonna be lifted up by these socialist, wealthy distribution policies. Just don't just wait for it. It's gonna happen. Well, when people have that thrown in their face. They have no incentive to work, and guess what, everybody ends up suffering. It produces conditions. Well, at least here we have the ability to move from the state. Are you gonna leave the country if you're living in a country like Venezuela, can you leave the country. Those policies bring about misery. That's why people have left. So I'm thinking, you know, VVEX on the right track. If these this again, this is the Census Bureau just pointing out the obvious people are leaving. Ask the question why maybe if Ohio becomes a magnet for those folks, they have one more state other than Texas and Florida, et cetera, that provides an opportunity for us to get some good people moving in and improve our economy here in the state of Ohio, as well as the opportunity for jobs. Five one three, seven, four nine fifty five hundred eight hundred eighty to two three Taco with pound five fifty on at and t phones stick around more to talk about, of course, I'll be right back. News gathered five one three, seven nine fifty five hundred eight hundred eighty two to three talk pound five fifty on eight and two fundmember Hit five parasee dot com get your iHeart mediaf so you can listen to the show, or the podcast or any the other iHeart content wherever you happen to be with your smart device. Bill O'Reilly was on, talked about a bunch of issues. I really enjoyed my conversation with Bill O'Reilly. I think he's a brilliant guy. And Bill O'Reilly dot com that's a website worth the bookmarking. Got some really good stuff there. One of the FBI I once knew my guest Chris Pahota. Corey Bowman, running for mayor of the City of Cincinnati, joined the program as well. We also heard from Orlando Sanza last week. So great podcast and thanks, as always a judge checker for lining them up over to the USA, and of course some the USA is responsible for sending out all that kind of crazy money that we now that the Low Hanging Fruit I alluded to a moment ago. You know programs they've been funding over the years. The twenty million dollars to produce Sesame Street in Iraq, nine hundred thousand to a Gaza based terror charity, one point five million of program slated to advanced diversity equity inclusion in Serbia. And how about this one. The problem is did any of these programs yield the result that that were intended or did the money just go out the door and end up in somebody's pocket. USA Washington Post recently claiming Trump's cuts the US eight or a gift to Haitian gangs. Of course, we all know Haiti is dealing with some terrible conditions terrorizing the locals, and so the Washington Post says, we can't cut this aid because, well it's aid for Haiti, who is in desperate need of aid. But a New York Post expos calling out the screaming and cries and wailing and gnashing your teeth. Since twenty ten earthquake and Haiti killed as many as three hundred thousand people, the United States government has dispersed around four point four billion with a e dollars of foreign assistance. This is from the New York Post. At least one point five billion was dispersed for immediate humanitarian aid after the earthquake. Well, another three billion went to recovery, reconstruction, and development. All sounds worthy, doesn't it. That country needs some help, and here we are, the United States of America, to the rescue of the at least two point one to three billion in contracts and grants for Haiti related work. New York Post reporting less than fifty million dollars two percent went to Haitian organizations or firms, compared to the one point three billion dollars fifty six percent going to firms located in or near our United States capital. Little wonder, they write, US eight is so threatened by the sudden scrutiny. Remains unclear how exactly the billions have been spent and whether the US tax dollars have had a substantial sustainable impact. USA and its vendors have generally failed to make such data public. They suggest the exposure of usage by DOGE confirms long running suspicions of mishandled aids. Some Haitian reporters weren't about the disappearing many years ago. Under the Obama administration, USAID funds to Haiti were dispersed, in part through the Clinton Foundation. At least Stacy Abrams Dinner have her hands on some of this money. Oh, that's right, she got her hands on two billion in other people's money. Lacking funding transparency also noted by the Government Accountability Office in twenty twenty three under the Biden administration. They stayed in their analysis the USAID activities in Haiti, the USA Admission in Haiti does not fully track data on its local partnerships or its activities to strengthen local organizational capacity, which limits institutional knowledge about these efforts and understanding of results and lessons learned to inform future activities. The GAOS said the Administrative of USA should ensure that the USAID Haiti develops a process to track and assess consistent and complete result information for infrastructure activities, such as the final outputs, outcomes, cost time frames, and lessons learned. No kidding, We're talking about billions of dollars here, and they don't know what happened with it. They don't track it. Notable. Haiti's noted for being a rather corrupt country, and you're just throwing money at an obvious, legitimate problem that exists. We could have all the love and compassion in the world, and sometimes money can solve people's problems. But here, just take it and we won't be watching where it goes. Yeah, I have real faith that this money went to the Haitian people. Yeah, total faith five five twenty six. Local stories coming up next or phone calls always welcome. I'll be right back culling name on days running out of time in the month of February. But it really flies by going back to my observation a time does indeed fly over to my alma mater, University of Cincinnati. Apparently a photograph circle on social media showing that the restroom science have changed to comply with Ohio law. Restroom sign specifically says biological men, and I presume the women's restroom sign says biological women. It also has a QR code on the sign, which apparently lets anybody know or everyone know where single occupancy restrooms are located on UC campus, and those actually have a sign on it that says all that changed from all gender to single occupancy restroom. You see spokesperson speaking with a WCPO channel nine here local statement the change connected to Ohio Senate bill. Donald Trump had nothing to do with this one. Ohio Centate Bill one to four requiring single sex bathroom showers and changing rooms in K through twelve schools, colleges, and universities quote related SB one to four. Some UC residence hall have seen signage changes. The legislation specifies the requirements for updated signage. Mike Dwine signed this into law. When it goes into full effect. I guess if went in effect February twenty fifth or does go in to effect February twenty fifth. It is what day is today? The twenty fourth explicitly stating restrooms must be for only male or female biological sex quote. A school shall designate each student restroom, locker room, changing room, or shower room that is accessible by multiple students at the same time, where they're located into school building or located in a facility used by a school for a school sponsored activity for the exclusive use by students of the male biological sex only or by students of the female biological sex only. So there you go. They're in compliance, or at least they're seeking to comply. Officer from the Comington Police Department arrested Sunday morning for dy Fox nineteen. Trey Matthews reporting thanks Pokra. Trey Joshua not arrested Monday morning by the Kenton County Police Department on three charges driving under the influence of alcohol, according to Kenton County records. Other charges include speeding more than twenty six miles per hour over the speed limit and disregarding traffic signals. Captain Bradbury the Coming to Police Department quote, we are aware of the arrest of Joshua not this morning for Duy. We are disappointed to learn of this incident. Command staff will be in the office tomorrow to look into the matter. He was sworn in in early twenty twenty and has been with a fourth since. Also, according to websites, he served as member of the Coming In Police Community Liaison team expected in court Thursday. Anderson High School is going to be closed due to electrical issues today. Forest Hills School District announced in a Facebook post yesterday afternoon that the high school will be closed today because of ongoing electrical issues. They all after school activities are canceled unless alternative plans have been made with a coach or advisor scheduled to act. It was scheduled to take place at Anderson High School on Tuesday, being moved to March eleventh portally. The issue began after multiple components of the building's electrical system were exposed to water district set in a Facebook posts, the exposure occurred because a fire sprinkler had burst due to freezing temperatures. This closure does not affect the rest of the Forest Hills High School District, schools or schools that rely on Forest Hill's busing. Well, not everybody gets the day off. Back in Lincoln Heights, where a man has been cited for littering after being caught throwing racist propaganda out of his car throughout Hamilton County early Sunday morning, Days Corner press release by the Hammond County Sheriff's Office. Lincoln Heights deputies responded to the area Mulberry Street and Locust Street about quarter after two in the morning to assist Lachland Police Department with the traffic stop. Stop conducted after members of the Lincoln Heights Safety and Watch that's a group reporting a man seen randomly throwing racist propaganda pamphlets from his vehicle. Incident reportedly started to Lincoln Heights continued into lockdown Lachlan. Thanks to Max Schilling at the w CPO for the reporting on this one credit where credits due. Deputies on the scene pulled over the suspect, identified as William Bater forty seven. He admitted to distributing propaganda pamphlets from his vehicle. Is that called? Is that distributing? Just throwing him out of the window. He was cited for a littering discovered he was in possession of a homemade flag that Lincoln Heights citizens had made with the words peace and love written on it. Deputies confiscated the flag from Bader returned it to the Lincoln Heights residents. According to Charmee McGuffey, the sheriff Office does not condone or agree with hate speech that is proliferated by anyone, including Nazis and the KKK. Sheriff's Office remains committed to working with residents of the diligient Lincoln Heights to ensure there's well, at least they were able to cite him. I'll just note that he's worthy of the biggest douche of the universe. Five thirty five fifty five KR. See the talk station stack is stupid coming up? You can feel free to call alternatively. That's entirely up to you. I'll be right back. Actually thirty degrees and a happy Monday to you. Jumping over the stack of stupid and noting that my wife and I do have zero expectations of receiving a gift on Valentine's Day. We have the alternative in front of me on the top of the stack is stupid. Fifty seven year old woman in Texas arrested last week after allegedly attacking her husband with a kitchen knife on Valentine's Day while arguing about him purchasing her the wrong gift. Rid To Tate, taking in a custody on Friday, charge of one kind of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The affidavit obtained by Law on Crime Reporting on this Officers in the Waco Police Department showed up in around twenty after ten in the evening Friday, fourteenth of February, responding to a nine to one to one call it a residence. Document states that the call was regarding a domestic disturbance in progress, also listed in the report as a lover's quarrel. In the call notes section stated of the caller later identified as Tate's husband, had advised the emergency dispatcher that his wife was being violent and had a knife. Of course, he identified his wife in the telephone call. Upon arriving in the scene, the officers knocking the door. They were let inside by Tate's husband. In an interview with police, husband explained that earlier that morning he had given his wife a necklace as a Valentine's Day gift. However, his wife allegedly became upset at the gift because he did not get her the bracelet that she really wanted. That's when he went to work. He showed up from work at home about four pm, the documents. When he got there, he said his wife continued to harangue about the gifts, so he decided to leave for a few hours in the hope that she would calm down for it. That's what he did. Sadly, he arrived back home later. Tate's husband said his wife was not only angry, she was so armed. She was also armed with a large kitchen knife. Tate allegedly yelling at her and a husband while wielding the knife. At one point, he claimed that she pointed the weapon at him and yelled, come and get it what. According to the affidavit, mister Tate stated he felt his life was threatened, which led him to record the encounter. Of course, you know someone's coming after you with a knife. You know, the last thing I'm gonna do is get my cell phone out and try to record the thing. And I don't think that'd be first and foremost in my mind. Hell, it probably take me a minute to figure out how to launch the video anyway. Anyhow, police reviewed the footage and said they could see with the knife in her hand. She was arrested at the scene, taking in processed at the mcclennan County Jail. She was no longer listed as an inmate at the facility as of the last Thursday, so out on presumably some kind of bond. Selenas California high school math teacher in California on leave under investigation for allegedly trying to sell pills to his students. One student's mother, who didn't want to be identified, said, I'm getting these messages from my daughter that are teacher is selling drugs in the classroom to enhance homework and test performance. And I just thought, maybe she's taken it out of context. This is appalling. There's no way a teacher is doing this. Well, that was her view. The woman said her child as in the teacher at Selena's high school math class. She started getting text messages from her child last week. The woman added to put that onto teenagers who are still learning their brains, are still developing and normalizing drug use. With a classroom in the middle of the fentanyl crisis, it's absurd. The lack of judgment, to me is is astounding. Students ld her mom that the white pills were in a plastic bag and the teacher pulled him out of his briefcase. Police confirmed they did take a report and that they were investigating. Principle said a letter to the families that read, we want to assure you that we are aware of the situation or actively conducting an ongoing investigation. Unknown whether any of the children bought the pills, but officials say the pills may have been Thailand. All the text reads he said, homework enhancing pills five dollars, Test enhancing pills twenty five dollars, and that we should take fifteen a week. Asked them what's in them? He said, it's a secret. Okay, you're fight. I'm guessing that's gonna happen. Bridgeport, Connecticut man accused of murdering and eating his victim over a decade ago granted a condition of release, some calling that mind boggling. Tyree Smith arrested in twenty twelve in connection with a murder of Angel Gonzalez, who was found mutilated with a hatchet in a vacant apartment. Smith's cousin testified that Smith told her he ate the victim's eyeball and a part of his brain. There's no flag for us. That led to Smith being found not guilty by reason of insanity in order to a forensic hospital for sixty years. The Psychiatric Security Review Board of Connecticut granted him a condition of release last Friday, after Smith's psychiatrists claimed that his schizophrenia and substance abuse issue had been largely solved through medication and treatment. I know, Joe. Condition of Smith's release means that although he will be placed back into a public setting, he will be under strict supervision and required to continued treatment. Thank you, Joe for anticipating my reaction on that one as well. Board's decision quickly met with what they're prescribing is put pushback and outrage from Gonzalez's family and lawmakers. Gonzalez's sister in law asked in a hearing board, how do we really know he's not going to do this again. Legitimate question. He promised. I swear I will never cannibalize a human being again. Now, who can argue with that? In a statement for multiple I don't know why this is a Republican or Democrat issue, but apparently the Republicans are concerned. The legislator's Republicans sent out a later a letter stating was outrageous and mind boggling. This individual killed an eate part of his victim and was found not guilty by reason of insanity. This terrible decision puts public safety in jeopardy. This person should never be out. Joe's comments cracked me up, says the one Republican in Connecticut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't quote Democrat. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Where's he been? I missed those calls from Tom. You can feel free to call and substitute for Tom's former call every morning five and three, seven four nine fifty five hundred eight hundred eighty two three TALKO with pound five fifty on AT and T the phone. Otherwise, I got a few more stupid stories to dive into after these brief words. Fifty five car the talk station. It's time, It's Monday. Back over to the stack of stupid. Uh let us see here. Florida woman behind bars after she allegedly attacked a man with a garden hoe for canceling plans with her phrasing garden hoe phrasing that's the venue, right, y'all, three you find her? Does Ron Wilson ever talk about that? Pole County Sheriff's Office. I never heard it, because you know, we do have Ron's show on in the morning. At least I know my wife listens to it while I should remain in bed. Pole County Sheriff's Office said. Melanie Davis, forty seven, had plans to quote hang out close quote with a man last week when he canceled on her. Upset by the decision, Davis allegedly went to his home in frost Proof of Florida three o'clock in the morning on Tuesday and yelling at him from outside. Forty seven year old Melanie Davis most recently arrested for allegedly hitting a man with a garden holl after he canceled the plans. Altercation escalated when Davis climbed a fence to his property, pushed through a door, and began punching him and at some point, she grabbed the gardening tool and hit him with it, causing a serious cut in his arm. She's been accused of striking a man with a garden hull during an altercation. Man taken to the hospital while Davis was taken to jail. Been charged with arm burglary with battery, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, simple battery, and criminal mischief. Apparently has a long history of the Pole County Sheriff's office, going back to nineteen ninety seven, when she was first charged with battery at age nineteen. Jail records said she was arrested in Polk County twenty seven times prior to the incident involving the garden hull frasing. Previous charges rank from petty theft to battery causing serious injury. Last time in the booked into the Pole County jail was March twenty four, charged with domestic violence on a person over the age of sixty five Polk County, not Hamilton County, Hey. She may have been arrested in Hamilton in County jail, I don't know. Go to Kilgore, Texas, where a former instructional aid for Kilgore School Districts has been arrested for allegedly having a relationship with a student. Here we go again, why are you no idea? Kayla Nicole Odell, who's thirty four years old and should know better of Glade Water booked into the Greg County Jail office Wednesday, charged with improper relationship between an educator and a student at court to the Kilgore isd the investigation into Odell's conduct began last month. District Citadel's employment with the school began in August at twenty three, lasted until her resignation in January of this year. They said at the time begun into possible educator misconduct involving her. After the investigation results were given to law enforcement. She's being held at the Greg County Jail without bond. What in the hell I mean? This kind of case is always just amaze me. And again, I'm painfully aware that was going on in my high school. Several illustrations of that I do specifically recall, but that was before social media. I know, man, I know. We go to Paris for our final stack of stupid story of the morning. Thieves used a stolen card I guess, like a credit card to buy a winning French lottery ticket, which apparently was worth five hundred and twenty three thousand dollars, but they vanished before cashing in. Now they're fugitives in France. Man whose card was stolen identified in police documents as a guy named Jean David E, offering to split the cash with the winners. He also wants his wallet back. Thieves the course, facing the risk of arrest. As of the yesterday or over the weekend, state lottery operator said that no one had submitted the ticket to cash out. Jean David's lawyer, Pierre d'bissont, said, it's an incredible story, but it's all true. John David discovered earlier this month that his backpack had been stolen from his car in the southern city of Toulouse, including bank cards and other documents. The lawyer said he asked his bank to block the card and learned that it had already been used at a local shop. At the shop, a vender told him two apparently homeless men had used one of the cards by the winning scratch off lottery ticket, Debbie Song said they they were so totally happy that they forgot their cigarettes and their belongings and walked out like crazy people. Fought a police complained about the theft, but ready to withdraw it if the thieves come forward so they can share the money. Without them, no one would have won, he said. Prosecutors also may want to seize the winnings, considering them illegally obtained gains, accord to the lawyer. Lawyer launched the national appeal last week, asking the preparators to contact his office to make a deal. TSK nothing, We will share with you and you would be able to change your lives. Apparently, he said the ticket will eventually expire. This time is working against us, he cautioned, just give me, just give me the quarter of a million dollars. We'll just walk away. Five fifty five ifty five care City Talk station the mashup my interview with Representative Jennifer Gross about Medicaid waste and fraud in the state of Ohio mashed up with Keith Faber from January twenty twenty three, which, if I recall correctly, he didn't think it was a big deal or said it was very complicated. Either way. After that interview and my inquiry with him, they ended up doing an audit and the sample audit reflected that I think twenty five percent or so of the Medicaid payments from this state we're going to out of state recipients, which doesn't sound quite right. That'll come up next. I hope you can stick around covering Trump's first one hundred days. Every day promise is made, promises KEP fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I got to ask you about fraud, waste, and abuse. My understanding is we're one of the worst states when it comes to spending and a misspending, I'll call it that generally in the program. Are you doing anything with your committee to get to the bottom of that and drill down maybe we can find some savings on the money going out the door.
Speaker 5: We absolutely are.
Speaker 6: Our auditor, Auditor.
Speaker 5: Favor did an audit on Medicaid last year and he found when he pulled a sample of people on Medicaid that twenty six percent of the sample that we were paying Medicaid costs for don't live in Ohio.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So when you find that kind of stuff, because we're a state that has something called self addest station. So I know you're an attorney, but what this means is that if you if I go in and you say are you on Medicaid? I can say, yep, Brian, I am. And yet I live in Westchester, and you know I won't say where I live. And I live in a middle class home. And if I say I have Medicaid, they have to accept that. They don't confirm it. They don't confirm my address, they don't confirm my income level, none of it. So now we are what we have to ask for waivers in some of these things, but we're going to do regular cross checks because and that's an answer to the auditor's audit. I mean, what more do I need to say to you that our auditor found this and what I've found and it's taken me. And this is why you know term limits are not what everybody thinks they are.
Speaker 3: It takes us.
Speaker 5: A while to figure all of this out, and then in eight years we're gone, but the bureaucrats stay. And so we get into this huge spend because the bureaucrats keep.
Speaker 1: Spending, obviously the ball is drought. Is anybody going to be held accountable on this? I guess up. First off, I need to understand about accountability on it, because we are talking, we are the worst state in the Union on this. Our improper payment rate is reportedly double the national average, and it's billions of dollars. I got to listen to the calls in to point out the amount of fraud and waste or fraud in the medicaid system here in Ohio could have paid for three brent sprents bridges regardless of that. Is this not a at least conceptually simple matter.
Speaker 7: To fix, And that's exactly the right answer. The problem is is, in fact, if we're going to continue to run a eighty eight county system, you've got to have some accountability in those eighty eight counties. I mean, the answer maybe to consolidate this back. I hate to say bigger is better, but because in state government it never has been true. But in this case, to require a state system that those local job and family services offices actually run down those alerts, you know, they send an alert. In some cases the alerts can be you know, just a pain in the butt because there are so many of them, and in some cases the alerts don't mean much. But the reality is the system is designed to trigger on certain things, and if it triggers on that there's a reason to look at that person as a potential beneficiary. And so what we found is upwards are twenty five million dollars of people were receiving duplicate benefit eligibility in multiple states. And that was just a snapshot. It wasn't even a holistic across the board, every plane take a look at it. The bigger problem was the first, the first audit we did in Medicaid that started identifying some of these problems, and we found in that case literally one hundred and twenty million dollars and this is extra money that was kept by the managed care organizations.
Speaker 8: Where they were literally.
Speaker 7: Being paid for claimants that were ineligible, you know, people that were in our prisons, people in the jails and other places. That is also a big problem, and so I think the state needs to come back in and take a look at these contracts and to managed care people and do some claim recovery wo go back and try and get some of that money back. And so we've really been trying to make a big deal about that, and certainly this is the tip of the iceberg. We are partnering with the Government Accountability Office and other similar state auditors offices around the country to get a national database. There is no reason that we don't have a database to say, hey, Joe Smith is getting claims in Indiana, rights in Ohio for medicaid, right, And in many cases it's really easy to track those down because we've got their individual claim identifiers. I mean it's not like we can say, hey, yeah, there's a lot of Joe Smith. There are, but we know which Joe Smith is using which account numbers, and so that should be relatively easy from a database perspective to find out where other claims are being made.
Speaker 1: It just rights to the level of criminal conduct. I mean, if the local counties dropped the ball and not falling through with these red flags that came up. The entities that are responsible for paying and managing the claims that you refer to these medical providers, I mean, can they not be held accountable? Is there something by way? I mean you have that as an option to call back the money, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: And certainly some of those cases, that's the solution is for them to look into it. You know, I had hate to say this, but when we first alerted to Medicaid the one hundred and twenty million dollar problem, some of The reaction we got from their internal personnel was, yeah, we get that that's a problem, but we really thought the problem would even be bigger than that. Right, one hundred and twenty million dollars not that big a deal when you're running a fifty billion dollars or forty billion dollar program. Remember Medicaid in Ohio, just to put this in perspective for your for your listeners, Medicaid in Ohio encompasses darn near fifty cents on the dollar of state discretionary spending. And so the state budget has something called general revenue fund dollars, and when you look at the all the funds that are spent in the state of Ohio, Medicaid, meaning the healthcare system for the poor, is nearly fifty cents of the dollar, and it's largely it's about sixty percent federal dollars and about forty percent state dollars, give or take. That ratio changes when the federal governments do things like they did in the pandemic to sweepen the reimbursement rate for the states so that we won't kick more people off the Medicaid roles. But effectively, it's a lot of money and From that perspective, a little bit of an error adds up really quickly to a lot of money.
Speaker 1: To the billions. I mean, yeah, we are talking about billions of billions of fraudulent payment here. I mean every little bit counts, and this is obviously added up very quickly. I guess I'm just like millions of questions flowing through my head on this auditor favor. What took so long to identify this as even a problem. I understand you. You're working on a solution. You're working on trying to get some of the money back. Hopefully it'll stop. But if it's fifty cents on the dollar, that figure would be a lot lower if billions of dollars didn't go out and fraudulent payments.
Speaker 7: Well, the short answer is, our job as auditor is to gentify places when government doesn't work very well. It's the job of the departments and the governor and the legislature to find the solutions. Can make some recommendations when something doesn't work well, things they need to fix. But as the Independent Auditor, what we do is go out and take a look at government. We identify when people lie, stealing, cheat in government, and then we also make recommendations to make government work better, faster, cheaper. We've now convicted our one hundred or were approaching convictioning our hundredth government official who was lying, stealing and cheating so far. I mean, certainly there is lie, cheating and stealing in these programs, but that isn't the source of most of the money that's being lost. Unemployment, it certainly was, that was a different scenario, but in Medicaid, what we're seeing is really it's just the system isn't working like it should, and we've got bureaucrats, for lack of a better term, that frankly, have grown indifferent and that has to get fixed. And that's what we really push on the medicaid side. When the Department of Job and Family Service, as people tell us they're shocked that the number we find for waste broaden abuse inside their system isn't bigger and it's one hundred and twenty million dollars in they're like, oh, well, man, that's just kind of a number, and we're going, really, that's unacceptable. One hundred and twenty million dollars is literally in many cases, the difference between us having programs to help addict it or mentally help ill or other programs in the state or not.
Speaker 1: Chamonin says we get a little sun today, turning partly cloudy. High have fifty two, freezy and maybe some showers. Thirty six overnight with partly Claudius.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 1: High have fifty six with early rain. Just a slight chanceer rain early in the morning with afternoon sunshine. Mostly cloudy overnight with low thirty two and then all the way up to sixty three. Although Wednesday they're looking for some rain, it's mostly the best chance of rain all week right now thirty degrees. Time for traffic from the U see.
Speaker 9: How traffic Center Around forty percent of cancers aren't preventable. Why style changes and in screenings can make a difference called five one, three, five eighty five U see see see highway traffic and pretty good shape this morning with no accidents to deal with, and I'm not seeing anything close to a delay as of yet. In Bend, seventy four are doing fine. Pass north Fend approaching seventy five. You're looking at five minutes coming down the hill southbound seventy one problem free through Blue Ash and Kenwood Cruise are working with an accident in Fairfield that's on Nillis near River. Chuck Ingram on fifty five Kara see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Six twenty three to fifty five KR City Talk Station, Happy Monday. If I went three seven fifty eight hundred fifte talk five five fifty on AT and T phone, I was hoping Jay would call in, because Jay's the one that always calls it on that topic. But I always enjoy hearing from Bobby. Bobby, welcome back to the program. Happy Monday, sir.
Speaker 10: Happy Monday, my brother. I tell you what. I'm glad the sun will be out today. It's a somber day. I've got my black arm band on today.
Speaker 1: For what reason?
Speaker 10: Well, Jolly read the Readout show you know is going to be canceled, and it's the last last airing this week, so you know it. It was my favorite comedy show with that fool, and you know, anybody, it's just a somber day.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious, Bobby, that's hilarious. All five people who watch the show, Bobby included among them, are disappointed that Joy Reid's plug has been pulled. Pretty amaze. They're just trying to turn around the sinking ship of ratings. That's what more can you do, but probably the right thing to do from a corporate perspective. Sorry you're feeling blue about it, Bobby, have a good day. You can feel free to call in as well. I do have local stories coming up. I'd rather hear from you, so feel free to give you a ring at five one, three, seven, four, nine fifty five hundred, eight hundred and eighty two three talk don't go away again. Local stories coming up. The first the word from my good friend Peter Shabria Colawaiam seven. What an amazing guy. He is, an amazing team he's assembled. He's like a magnet for awesome talent because the man's a genius himself, and he's assembled the best real estate team in the in the in the greater Cincinnati area. You were working with the finest and the group that actually provides great value, whether you are retaining them for a buyer's agent or seller's agent and offering all kinds of programs that nobody else is ever offering. So you know, uh, Peter Shabrie in the Shabrie Group of Keller Williams knows that you put a lot of time and energy into finding your dream home, and the agents at the Shabri Group work hard to ensure that you have a five star experience. So when they're your buyer's agent, they're so confident that they will find the best home for you that they guarantee it. So if for some point, if at some point during the first year, you realize that you don't love your home and you, for whatever reason, decide you want to get rid of it within that first calendar year, they will sell it for free. That's their love it or leave it guarantee. I don't think anybody else is doing anything like this. So to get the assistance you need in the real estate world, it's the sh Group of Keller Williams seven Hills, Cha b Ris Group. You can use the search engine to find it, go directly to the website seven zero eight three thousand dot com, or give them a ring at five one three seven zero eight three thousand fifty five KRC the talk station KRCD talk Station are very happy Monday to yea Christopher Smith minut at seven twenty Every Monday we get to hear the Smither vent from the former Vice Mayor and before we get the local stores here, Carl on the line. Hey, Carl, thanks for calling this morning.
Speaker 11: Hey Brian, good morning. Hey. I heard the interview with Jennifer Gross on Thursday and that was a wonderful interview. I also heard the interview with Ken Kober on Thursday. You know he's the head of the Cincinnati Police Union. Yeah, and he was speaking about the Cincinnati Community Responder program where citizens respond to police calls instead of police officers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Ken was on another talk radio show on Friday. But during neither one of those shows did it come up that that whole idea of having citizens respond to police calls came out of the defund the police movement, and I wanted to bring that up to your listeners. Now, Ken was all. Ken also mentioned that it was developed by the Emergency Communications Director, and he threw out some names that I didn't recognize. However, that idea really sounds like something our beloved mayor mayor Aftab would pyre Vo would support. I was downtown a couple of weeks ago and I saw one of those three one one rapid responder vehicles and I wondered what that what is that about? And due to your interview, now I know there's a public service announcement here in Cincinnati. Citizens of the City of Cincinnati who are involved in their community, such as community council or if they report a lot of incidents on three one one system. The City of Cincinnati is starting up this three one one Citizens Academy and it's going to be here. It's going to start in March. It's up two hours four days. Usually they have it on one day a week and it's very informative. So if any of your listeners want to get involved with that, they should do an Internet search on Cincinnati three to one one Citizen's Academy and they have to put in an application. The city does do it. Please check and it's a very informative program. I went through it last year, and they can become space is limited and they can become a three to one one ambassador and find out why the potholes aren't getting fixed.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's an interesting way to conclude that. Joe said that that actually came about after the Kyle Plush incident where the kid got stuck in the minivan and ended up dying because the Sheriff's office couldn't find him, and a very tragic and sad situation. I don't know the genesis of it away. Joe stands it stays on top of a lot of these things too, But regardless of where it came from, I thought the FLP president did a good job explaining why it isn't necessarily a good idea, Like when a citizen shows up who is not armed and who does not have body camera on him or her and the situation devolves as quite often some seemingly innocuous calls to nine when one can do so. Represents some safety and challenges, and it's also really expensive. They're very, very well paid, I think he said, as high as ninety thousand dollars annually, and then you have the vehicles and the training costs and all of that. So ultimately I think Cober and I kind of reached the conclusion and signed over all like kind of a bad idea, but appreciate the information on that, And of course people can get involved and find out for themselves, as you just indicated, man's been cited for littering after being caught throwing out racist propaganda from his car throughout Hamilton County. Happened early yesterday morning. Hamilton County Sheriff's Office and a press release say Lincoln Heights deputies respond to the area Mulbar Street and Locus Street about quarter after two in the morning to assist Lachland police with the traffic stop, which was conducted after members of the Lincoln Heights Safety and Watch Group, another group to help out the community, reported a man scene randomly throwing racist propaganda pamphlets out of his car. Incident reportedly starting Lincoln Heights continued into Lachland. Deputies on the scene pulled over the suspect, identified him as William Bader, who's forty seven years old, who admitted to what they describe as distributing the propaganda pamphlets from his vehicle, throwing him out the window. I guess he wasn sighted for littering. It was discovered he was in possession of a homemade flag that the Lincoln Heights citizens had made, so I guess he stole. It. Had the words peace and love written on it, which seemed extraordinarily inconsistent with his racist message on the pamphlets. Deputies confiscated the flag from Beta, returned it to Lincoln Heights residence Charmeae McGuffey. In the statement, the Sheriff's office does not condone or agree with hate speech that is proliferically by anyone, including Nazis and KKK, although you have to note she has no control over the speech. The mechanism of distribution, however, is a sitable offense since he was thrown it all over town. She said. The Sheriff's Office remains committed to working with the residents of the village of Lincolnites to ensure their safety. Six point thirty five right now, if you have k STEE talk station, they're back. I love recommending Bud Herbert Motors. They've been Budd Herbert founded the company more than seventy five years ago and they do a wonderful job. They helped me out get the best push mower I'll ever own, and the last one I'll ever own, so said, I believe it was Jim Herbert I was working with. You will be working with one of the Herbert family members and they will put you with or get you with the right piece of lawn equipment, which they certainly did for me. And they told me it was the last lawnmower I would ever buy at a commercial level. Honda push mower and you can't talk to the owners at a mega store or big box store, and they're not going to get you that kind of family friendly service that you get from Cincinnati's hometown equipment deal. So they sell and service world class brands like John Deere, uh even John Deere Compact utility tractors, x Mark, x Mark mowers. They have a huge line of steel power equipment as well as again the Honda Power equipment two locations in the Greater Cincinnati area Northside and Harrison. At Harrison Location right off I seventy four, you can find more information about all the equipment they sell, and they are the best in the business. Trust me, you're gonna really be glad you're working with Bud Herbert Motors, which online you can find at Budherbertmotors dot com. Tell one of the Herbert family members you that Brian said hi when you give them a call at five one three, five four one thirty two ninety one five four one thirty two ninety one. Impressive product knowledge and customer service.
Speaker 12: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 1: Hey Monday Monday with Brian James every Monday at eight oh five. Consumer sentiment dropping, good dooje causing market correction. Home sales dropped in January and most Americans apparently are cash poor. So those are the subjects we'll talk about with Brian James at eight oh five, preceded by conversation I thoroughly enjoy every week Christopher Smithmen, former vice mayor of the City of Cincinnati, with what we call the Smith Event. You can hear that every Monday at seven twenty and remember podcast page fifty five care sea dot com and you can't listen to lives and terrific guests lined up. Last week Bill O'Reilly, we talked about wanted the FBI. I once knew by longtime FBI agent Chris p Hoda, Corey Buman was on. He's, of course running for the mayri city of Cincinnati. Got enough signature, so he's going to be on the ballot Orlando. Soanza, what's he been doing since the election? Of course, must must have listening every Friday at six or six thirty with Dave Hatter. So there you go. That's just just a slice of what the podcast page has fifty five care sea dot com, where I also strongly encourage you to get your iHeartMedia apps. You can listen to that content and live stream this program and one of the other shows on the iHeartMedia network. Before I get to other stories, I got Stephen on the line. Stephen, thanks for calling this morning. Happy Monday to you.
Speaker 8: Oh, thank you, Happy Monday to YouTube.
Speaker 3: Brian.
Speaker 8: I just caught the tail end of your last segment, and what I want to say is that I am disappointed in the Republican Party leadership of Hamilton County because the leader needs to come out and make a condemnation of what is transparing in Lincoln Heights. Because again, without character, without integrity, without ethics, there is no rule of law. The constitutional rights make no sense. But the assignlence of our leaders on this issue is offensive and it is weak, and our leaderships conservative leaders need to stand up and promote the virtues and values of responsible behavior, integrity and what.
Speaker 1: Is going on.
Speaker 8: The silence is deafening, and I condemn it is it is just weak.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose you make a valid point. Anything is controversial like that that's going on. And of course, when when racists are distributing racist propaganda and doing racist things, it is an obvious opportunity for politicians to step up and go ahead and offer their condemnation of it. Question whether anybody can do anything about it, Like the guy that's throwing pamphlets out the window, that is a sitable offense. Whether or not somebody did something that was citable. When they were protesting on the bridge and Evendal, that's a different story. I've heard they were in the road blocking traffic. You can give them a ticket for that, and that should have been done. Neither the Sheriff's department nor the Evendel police decided to go down that road. And that's why some were condemning them. But since the REPUBLICI oh yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 13: Uh you know, Conservative leaders were very outspoken uh uh and condemned b l m Antifa uh for not just the violence that they engaged in, but prior to that, who they are and what they represented it and the threats they were.
Speaker 8: To uh get just just uh uh you know, the the you know, community and and and and safety. Okay CRT. You know, conservatives are very outspoken against CRT. Nothing illegal, but very outspoken. That same passion against those things that threaten, okay, all our way of life applied the same to Lincoln Heights. But they're silence, and and I'm a conservative. I am a very conservative uh individual African American, and I want to see conservative leadership speak up uh and not tolerate in silence. What is going on?
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't disagree with that. It's an opportunity to elevate the Republican Party in a very blue county. So yeah, they can come out and make statements of condemnation. But when you talk about criticism of, for example, critical race theory, the criticism, I think largely stem from the fact that that was being taught in schools. Now, if you had racists promoting a clan message in schools, you would hear people screaming from across the political spectrum. How dare you so something that is a form of indoctrination that conservatives disagree with and maybe even some Democrats disagree with. There's a reason for that because it was incorporated into the curriculum. It wasn't just people on a bridge expressing their political thoughts or opinions. That's all protected, as is standing on a bridge promoting something that's horrific, like racism. But when you start and cross the line and you commit a crime, then tickets should be issued. Citations should be given in order to try to deter that type of behave you from happening.
Speaker 8: And I understand, I understand the legal recourse. However, we need leaders to stand up, uh and promote what is right, yeah for for individuals and the things that they said that.
Speaker 14: Is on video that I watched about African Americans should not be tolerated with silence at all because that that that creates, that creates too much disharmony, disunity in our community. And Republicans embrace unity, okay, that what they did was the antithesis of unity, and the things they said were just morally reprehensible.
Speaker 1: And now I'm not arguing with you, man, you made your point, and I don't disagree with you. I think it is a welcome opportunity to stand in unity with the folks who generally, and I think it's about ninety nine point nine nine percent of the population who agree with what you're saying. Horrific states, horrific ideology, horrific people, period, end of story. How can anybody embrace that ideology? It's just beyond my comprehension. I get your points, Stephen, and yeah, they should speak out more often, maybe get more traction, maybe maybe elevate themselves to something that you know that isn't just a sort of a political afterthought. Oh that's right. We do have Republicans at Hamilton County. Why don't we hear from them more often? I don't disagree, Stephen, Eric, You're gonna have to hang on if you don't mind. I do have to take a break amount of time in this segment, and I want to strongly recommend QC kinetics from my listeners out there. Here's struggling with pain. You know it isn't It's just a terrible thing to know that you're gonna get up out of bed and probably from the moment you put your feet down, you got that knee pain, hip pain, shoulder pain, arthritic pain. Generally speaking, you talk to your doctor about surgery. Is your quality of life impacted by chronic pain in your knees, hip, shoulders, or other joints? You got trouble sleeping, walking, day to day movement. Do you want to avoid surgery and all the pain and long recovery and uncertainty that comes with that? Most importantly, do you miss doing things you'll love because joint pain is holding you back? Like walking or golfing or jogging. Well, if you answer yes to any of those, how about check in it out see if you're a candidate for QC Kinetics. Call QC Kinetics right now and ask for your free consultation and learn how the latest advance it advances in regenerative medicine can get your lasting pain relief with no drugs, surgery or downtime. It's a hard thing to comprehend, isn't it, But it's a free consultation, so find out if this option is right for you. It's five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine one more time. QC Kinetics can be reached at five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine fifty five. KRC fleeds it down the side the premnle frozen up time of the channel nine whether uh some sun turning partly cloudy, a little breasy, high fifty two and maybe some rain overnight, cloudy in thirty six tomorrow, rain in the morning early just a slight chance we have afternoon sunshine with the high fifty six, clouds every night down to thirty two, and best chance of rain all week is Wednesday, but you get a highest sixty three welcome change that thirty right now, time for traffic from the u see how Trampic Center.
Speaker 9: Around forty percent of cancers are preventable. Lifestyle changes and screenings can make a difference. Called five one three five eighty five u CE ce See Highway traffic continues to look good. I'm seeing no major problems to deal with as of yet. There is an accident on river at State Chuck Ingraman fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: Six fifty at fifty five KRCV talk station. You can do what Eric did. Give me a call five one three seven four nine fifty five hundred eight hundred eight two three talk Eric, thanks for holding over the break there, welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Brian, and good morning.
Speaker 3: To you, sir.
Speaker 1: Good morning. So yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Just wanted to call because first I want to thank the share for stopping that person and simply doing what great police work is, which is when you see something enforce what you can. Yeah, somebody's doing something like that. So big, big, big ups to the Sheriff's department for stepping up for that. And you know that day when I was on the bridge, and those guys did come out into the streets on through the yellow lines, yelling into my window.
Speaker 8: They should have at least ticketed them. That's called jaywalking.
Speaker 1: And I agree, Eric, Yeah, you're the one that confirmed me that they actually did walk out in the street, because you have a business right on the other side that bridge, and.
Speaker 2: I look at that bridge every day out of my office. I've had customers call me and say, hey, is it okay to come over there?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I mean yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, people are calling me asking me, hey, you know what's going on? And and you know, I agree with that last caller that you know, you see the Democratic candid party stepping up saying you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be able to wear a mask and have a gun open carrying on anywhere. But I haven't seen one Republican say that, and I need them to.
Speaker 1: Look, hey, it's against me. I mean, that's that's Actually the other problem with that, Eric, is its actually lawful to do that.
Speaker 2: What I'm getting at is it shouldn't be. So what's happening is you hear the Democratic people saying, the candidates saying, hey, we need to stop the ability for someone to wear a mask and open carry a firearm. We don't care what firearm.
Speaker 8: They carry, we don't care what it is.
Speaker 2: But I'm not hearing that from my friends that are Republican senators, congress people. And this is not a partisan issue. It's not Trump's fault, it's not a Democrat's fault, it's not antifa's fault. It's thirteen idiots that need to understand that if you're going to be somebody that's carrying a weapon, man up, un cover your face, and exercise your right to carry that weapon. That is god an American given. But don't be a uss. What I'm getting at is what we can do to make sure our daughters don't have to deal with that, our children. So that's what I'm looking for from your You know, then let's change it.
Speaker 1: At least take the effort to put to pass the law that you can know you can't walk around fully masked with an open carrier firearm, and see if it passes constitutional muster. I mean, I'm not sure ultimately if it goes to the Supreme Court, that would be constitutional to have that law on the books, But you got to at least try to show your constituents you care about them, You're going to take every effort you can because again, hate speed is just protected speech. So you can't pass the law banning content, but you might be able to pass the law involving walking around fully masked with the firearm. Yeah, so at least try, right, Eric, at least try.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hey, Brian, I love you, man, That's what other.
Speaker 1: I love you too, And I can't thank you, know for calling in, and I do really appreciate you pointing out that they were in the street. And again, you could sign them for jaywalking, you could sign them for obstructing traffic. That anything you can come up with to give them a ticket for to deter that type of behavior. Perfect idea, right there, Eric, Thank you so much for calling man. Have a great week. Six fifty four fifty five k C the talk station. We have plenty more time out for the top of the UR News at least the segment to talk before we get to former vice mayor of the city since Saint Christopher Smith. It just something I wanted to get in real quick here. And you knew this was coming.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Well, well, the California legislator, you know, put away fifty million dollars to fight Donald Trump's efforts at whatever comes down their way for legal Workkevin Newsom's already asked Congress to approve forty billion dollars in aid to help Los Angeles recover from the wildfire. Send a letter Friday to lawmakers in the House Speaker Mike Johnson. Los Angeles is one of the most economically productive places on the globe, but it can only rebound in flourish with support from the federal government. That's you, folks, as it recovers from this unprecedented disaster. They say real estate losses alone in the various fire ridden areas thirty billion dollars. And they say the economic losses from the firestorm estimated it surpass two hundred and fifty billion dollars. And he's given you an assurance quote, Governor Newsom, make no mistake, Los Angeles will use this money wisely. That the largest request. His largest request is for an additional sixteen point eight billion from FEMA to rebuild property and infrastructure, five billion earmarked for debris cleanup, nine point nine billion from the Department of Housing and Urban Development for grants to fire victims, homeowners, businesses, and renters five point twenty nine billion from the Small Business Administration for homeowner and business loans. He did not comment on recent threats from Trump the Trump administration that federal aid could come with strings attached. Yeah, that's what happens with federal aid. It always comes with strings attached. To be careful what you ask for, because you may end up having to do a bunch of things that you otherwise wouldn't do. Mississippi James, you're first when we come back from the break. If you don't mind holding sir, love hearing from you at six fifty six Right now fifty five KRCD talk station covering Trump's first one hundred days.
Speaker 10: Every day we stand on the verge of the four greatest years in American history.
Speaker 1: Fifty five krc D talk station.
Speaker 12: This report is sponsored by True Grain versus d Madness.
Speaker 15: Federal Judge has black flaplocked access to stay in the game.
Speaker 1: Fifty five krc D talk station. Seven oh six fifty five Karrosen Talk Station. By the time, I'm swishing everyone a very happy Monday. Try to make it happy anyway. It's always happy on Monday. Because Christopher SMITHMA joins the program in the next segment seven to twenty with Christopher and a fast forward one hour to Money Monday with Brian James. The meantime, Mississippi James is on the line. Hey, Mississippi James, thanks for holding over the breake. Welcome back, Hello.
Speaker 16: Mister Brian, doctor Brian as I say, yep, hey, I just wondered, did the police from evandale H Lochland get the name, address and some security number of the peoples.
Speaker 3: That was riding in the back of the van.
Speaker 16: You know, that's normally one of the first things they say is that benifier, you have any id So is that list out there is hudo people was in case they they found something that they could charge him with later. Uh, these peoples out unknown, we have to you have to have, you know, probable cause to engage in that communication.
Speaker 1: Police don't have a right to ask you for identification if you haven't committed a crime. And that's where the whole story gets gray and hazy because Eric who just called was literally there because his business is on the other side of that bridge and he had to go over the bridge past these idiots and they harassed him. They went out into the middle of the road, so isn't that a sitable offense? And if the police were around, I would think that's one way you could learn who they are ask for their identification because they're going to get a ticket for blocking traffic or jaywalking or whatever thing you can come up with legitimately. So, but if you've got a bunch of people load in the back of U haul van and you're not breaking the law, you're not speeding, you're not you know, weaving or anything that that justifies police intervention, I don't know if there's a mechanism for you to actually lawfully get that information. So, oh yeah, that's all riding in the back of it van. Well though you know that I don't know, miss Simpi James. You may be right. I do not know, and I would think you probably are because that's a dangerous place to be. There aren't any seat belts in the back of a U haul van, you know what I mean. So perhaps that's another area they could have looked at. So you know, I guess I'm I'm interested in annoying and I've heard absolutely no follow up on it. Maybe somebody's read something how it is that they couldn't track down where that van was readed, where it came from, and who was the one that rented it, So you know, a lot of question marks floating around. I don't know if law enforcement is still looking into it, if it's an open investigation or something they've just now moved past. But I know a lot of people are angry and a lot of people are looking for answers. But I keep having to walk back to the point where you know, there's only so much law enforcement can do with idiots. If idiots aren't breaking the law, then they can expouse their idiot speech. Fortunately, the guy throwing pamphlets out the window that was arrested over the weekend, he was breaking the law. He was literally littering, and he got cited for it. So it's complicated Mississippi, James, And it is frustrating, very frustrating.
Speaker 16: Actually is biased?
Speaker 1: Is not complicated?
Speaker 8: That's the way you framing. Its just biased.
Speaker 1: How is it bias?
Speaker 16: Well, once again, if they was riding in the back, that was a misdemeanor.
Speaker 1: But I never thought of that, James, until to this morning. You brought it up. That's the first time it's ever been elevating. You're like, you know, You're right, that could have been something they could have done HU. But like like getting out in the middle of the street, it seems to me they could have done something by issuing a citation for that. Now, in the final analysis, I don't believe it would change the hearts and minds of the racist. It might prevent them from doing something illegal misdemeanor, but it may stop them from you know, loading into the back of a U haul down the road because they know they could get cited for it. It may prevent them from walking out in the middle of the street because they know they'll get sighted for it, But it won't stop them from standing on the sidewalk and expousing their racist hate. So what do you do? What do you say? What do you say?
Speaker 16: Right?
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Okay, next time they get on the bridge, if they all got there and they arrived and they parked lawfully in their individual automobiles, unbuckled their seatbelt and walked over to the bridge with the racist hate signs, then they have a right to do that. So I don't think it would dissuade them. My bigger problem with this is I think everybody talks about it so much that it almost elevates them to some sort of legitimacy.
Speaker 3: Either.
Speaker 1: Were thirteen of those idiots there, and I bet it took them all year long to come up with a group with thirteen people who are willing to go out in public and stand there as they were covered. Their faces were covered, but they have to stand there and expouse a message that no one agrees with or very few people agree with it. I personally don't know anyone who agrees with that message, James, I truly do not, and I certainly don't. Oh so, James, appreciate it as always, stay well and looking forward to having you back in the area when it falls out up here. Dan Hill's former FOP President's called in on the hotline. Dan, thanks for calling this morning. Welcome to the Morning Show, Brian.
Speaker 4: I have to respond because I've talked about this a little bit. I wasn't there. I have an interviewed Dame. I was there. But to me, the common sense tells me this. You got two groups of people that don't care for each other. People are getting angry, people have long guns, and you have a different priority than just trying to cite the people that you don't like their political view, The priority is keeping the peace, is public safety. They were doing everything they could to get those goose, and we all agree. I think that's how we walk into this conversation. First we should throw up our hands and say we all think the Nazis are idiots. All the cops that were there, I'm certain to feel the same as the cops. I know they all think the Nazis are idiots. I know you know that the Nazis are idiots. But you get thrown into a situation there. Instead of just trying to find a way to cite people that you don't like their view, you had a greater priority, and that was public safety, in your own safety, and and uh and keeping the peace. And like I said, they were dealing with two groups that were becoming hostile with one another, and you got a chance to get them the heck out of there, You get them the heck out of there. And uh. I just I'm getting tired of all this backlash and all these people that are jumping on this as an opportunity to point out that the police. The police didn't do everything that they they could have potentially did it. As far as taking legal action, I'm almost certain that the other group probably was doing things technically wrong too that they could have been cited for, but that's not Again, that wasn't a priority. It was priority was was not having a shootout. So yeah, that point, that's what I believe was was without doubt was the was the number one thing on each and every one of those police officers and police supervisors up there, was let's avoid having a shootout because that's a really bad thing for public safety to start having two angry groups shoot at each other.
Speaker 1: Oh, I couldn't agree with you more, Dan, And that's a point that's very well taken. You have to put it in context. And then, of course, in the aftermath, that's when the Monday morning quarterbacks come out and say why didn't they do this? And why didn't they do that? And while I can point out that there might have been sitable offenses, and you would know better than that than than I would, like, I never thought about, you know, load, he's.
Speaker 4: Probably right about the back of the van. But if if back in my day, Sergeant Dan Hills was somehow thrown that incident and I'm in charge of I'm like, get them out of here. We don't have time for that Let's get them moving. They want to move, they want to go, Let's help them go. And that's exactly everything I've seen is that they help them go, which prevented, you know, an absolute tragedy. And then all these folks because they don't like their views. I don't like their views, but that's not how you police. You don't go around on I'm going to try to get every citation I can because I don't like their views, or you know, I don't like the views of some group on the opposite end of the spectrum. You can't police that way. And so I wish the Monday Morning quarterback in would tone down just a little bit. I think even Dale Police did an outstanding job because everybody came out of that without any bullet.
Speaker 1: Holes alive, no shots were fired. And I think that is a very very good point. And Dan, I can't help. I can't thank you enough for Connor on the morning show to make that actually the outcome was a positive one. It's just that I think there's just so much frustration out there that that message you're free to spread it in the United States of America. That is a documented case from the Supreme Court. Brandenburg look it up. We don't like it, but hate speech is protected speech as much as we may disagree with that speech. Thanks, brother, appreciate it. We have time for another one, Joe. No, no, I'm sorry, Hank, I'm sorry. I would love to take your call, but it is seven point fifteen and Christopher Smith ament is waiting in the wings for the Monday morning Smith event, which will be next first though, Chimneycare Fireplace and Stove. I had great folks of a Chimneycare Fireplace and Stove. They are locally owned and operator. You're supporting a local company that's been around since nineteen eighty eight, and Jeff Keifer and the crew there will take excellent care of you. You know it is. There's no bad time to have your chimney inspected, and you should do this annually. Woodburners most notably so right now, get it taken care of. They have a wood burning sweep in evaluation from the Chimneycare Fireplace in Stove. It's only one hundred and sixty nine to ninety nine plus tax. Keep your home safe and cozy. They'll do a video camera inspection. They'll find out if there's any water damage up there. Maybe a cracked lining, which is dangerous, and of course if it needs to be swept, a certified chimney sweep will do all that work for you. Excellent customer service as documented by my listeners over the years, and I know they'll take great care of you, very respectful of your home and very friendly people. That's why they've been around so long, and that's another reason why they enjoy and a plus with a better business Baro showroom to buy a fireplace insert or a free standing stove woods wood waste pelo stove. That's four thirteen Wards Corner Road. But I recommend the first stop be the website, which is chimneycarecode dot com. You can learn all about the services they offer, the products they sell, and easily schedule an appointment right there at the website chimneycareco dot com. You want to call them up, please give them my regards when you do. It's five one three two four eight ninety six hundred. Five one three two four eight ninety six hundred.
Speaker 12: This is fifty five krc an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 4: A great setting.
Speaker 1: Seventy nineteen or fifty five KERRCD talk station. A very happy Monday to you. Money. Monday with Brian James at eight oh five. Monday is always made extra special because now is the day, at the time of the week and we get to talk to the former Vice mayor of the City of Cincinnati, get his musings and let him venice clean the Smith Event ad vice mayor, former vice Mayor Christopher Smith and my friend welcome back to the morning show, oh.
Speaker 3: Man, thank you for having me on. And every week there's so much to talk about. I don't know where to start, but I'd like to ask for a little privilege from my friend because I spent the last four or five days man in Canton, Ohio, supporting my daughter Seaton High School and so many other teams from the same Ohio you know, for their for their state championship. Yeah, and I talked about that, man. The girls did a great job. They came in fifth and they're heating thirteenth in the state. They broke a Seaton, they broke a seat and thank you. They broke a seat and record and I just wanted to give a shout out to Maddie, Josie, Hannah and Hannah, Sarah, Sam, Meredith and Camille and the big shout out goes to Jody Schafer, the seating swim coach by the way, who's really paid nothing peanuts for everything that she does for these girls and that team at Seaton. So I can't say enough, the parents can't say enough good things about Jody Schaeffer and you being a swimmer, you know what it takes every day, every morning, every afternoon to get prepared to go through all of this. And to all the seniors on the seating team, we salute you.
Speaker 1: That's you know, that's very I'm glad you brought it up because of course I know how proud you are. And I did have the opportunity to go go upstate for a relay as well when I was a senior in high school and it's quite an experience, man, And you you know, that's when you realize, you know, there are some really, really talented and excellent swimmers out there in the world. I can't remember what place we came in, but we were. We were definitely in the also ran are also a swim category. But fun time it was. And as bringing back some some of the few fond memories I have of swimming, you mentioned morning practices. That's a Vietnam flashback type response or experience for me, man, I remember that alarm going off at four o'clock in the morning and wanting to throw it across the room, and getting to school and having to swim before the school started, and showing up and getting dressed and heading off to class, and then you did it all over again after class was over. It's like, oh my god, you spend so much time in the water. And you know, swimmers are the unsung heroes in high schools because you know, like I said last time you and I talked, very few people from these student bodies show up at swim meets, unlike basketball games or football games, where it's a common thing to hey, meet at the basketball game. He was like, yeah, definitely, you know, and you cheer on your fellow classmates, but not swimming.
Speaker 3: They don't. And let me share with you, you know, a big shout out for great programs in our city like Saint x who oh yeah, elder, you know, as examples like Walded Hills High School. I mean, we have a lot to be like Saint Ursula. We have a lot to be proud of in our city and in our region of just tremendous swimmers tremendous programs around us. But you know I'm biased because you know, I'm a girl dad for Seaton and i just can't say enough about the girls that went and swim for the state championship. And I'm going to just give their names one more time before we go to break Maddie, Josie, Hannah, Sarah, Sam, Meredith, and Camille. And to their great coach Jody Shafer, thanks for that privilege. As we go into the break, man, oh, I just want to tell you that a great team, great swimmer and a great season.
Speaker 1: Well that's that's fantastic. And you know, for parents out there that and my wife was not one that wanted our children to engage in contact sports. My son played lacrosse and and also was a swimmer himself, and my daughter played volleyball. But swimming is probably one of the greatest sports in terms of how much good it does for your body. You know, lower impact, great aerobic benefits, and it's an easy way to remain lean and in shape, and it's it's just a wonderful sport in terms of physical activity and benefits for your body's and it's a lasting, long term impact they'll have on you so think about putting a child on the swim team and a great coach, give them all the skills they need, you know, teach them how to do flip turns right, and teach them how to do the strokes right. It's amazing what some lessons will do for the ability to improve your speed in the swimming pool.
Speaker 3: Man, hey man, you see some really big men who are swimming. How you think about football players, Man, look at some of these swimmers out here and how they are built. I mean, just just strong, lean bodies that are going in there, and it's just remarkable about their speeds. And as we come back out of the break, I'm going to pivot into my spleen bit that has everything to do with the first segment. I just wanted to spend the first segment speaking about love and excitement about these programs around us and specifically State in high school.
Speaker 1: Proud Papa, and you deserve to be a proud papa. And you're doing it all on your own now because you know you lost your wife to cancer after that long battle, and I know she is looking down and smiling and also proud of Camille and her efforts. So thanks Christopher for bringing that up. Hold on a second, we'll bring him back and he can launch into his vent. After I mentioned Colin Electric Andrew Cullen has got a great, great group of electricians. Somebody else had commented to me about it and said, oh, you had to call on Electric over to do a project and we had this lady electrician. I looked at I said, was it Lily, Yeah, that's her because I brought her up on the morning show quite a few times over the years. It was just I just watching her in action when they were doing our canlight project. They were in the house all day. They installed I don't know how many twenty thirty cans or whatever. Man, she was just a well oiled machine, she and her team. But you get great service, I think is a fundamental point on Then that was the point that was made to me by one of the listeners who took my advice on hiring Colum and they enjoying a plus with a better business ureau, full uh uh wiring warranty on everything that they do for you, and right now power up your twenty twenty five home sale starts now. Code changes were implemented the spring of last year have exponentially driven up the costs of service upgrades through and through the roof, So there has never been a better time to take advantage of big savings on a service update for your home. Now, through the end of April four thirty twenty five, Colin Electric is extending the twenty percent discount a new service installation for your home. That's twenty percent off the total job costs, which could save you thousands just in time for tax season. Power power up your home sale. Great savings. It's a great opportunity to work with Colin Electric again. You get the ten year wiring warranty. They enjoy a plus with the better business zero five one three two two seven four one one two five one three two two seven four one one two Online Cullenelectric Cincinnati dot Com fifty five KRC a minute. Joanna nine tells us Today we get some sun, but it's going to turn partly cloud eivet a bit breezy, maybe a shower. Fifty two for the high overnight thirty six with clouds fifty six to high Tomorrow with PM sunshine and a slight chance of rain in the morning. Overnight mostly clouds with a little thirty two and then best chance of rain all week comes Wednesday, but it also comes with the highest sixty three thirty degrees. Right now, let's hear about traffic conditions from Chuck Ingram from.
Speaker 9: The uc ON Traffic Center. Around forty percent of cancers are preventable. Lifestyle changes and screening can make a difference. Called five one, three, five eight five uc CE see cruise continue to work with the wreck north found seventy five above seventy four right two lanes or block traffic back to pay US seventy four close to Hoppel in bound seventy four. There's a wreck on the right shoulder at Montana northbound fourth seventy one broken down in the left lane coming off of the bridge. There's a wreck on river at near State. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Sony nine if if you've have kercit talks station, A very happy Tuesday to you tomorrow on the morning show. In addition to our regular guest keep your Fingers Crossed, Joe Streckers lined up vec VvE grama swammy. So looking forward to having him on the program since he's announced his run for governor of the state of Ohio. Without further Ado, Christopher Smithman, unleash this league.
Speaker 3: Look, brother, common sense is lost in our politicians. So the first half I talked about being that girl dad and being excited. But to think again that the President of the United States has to sign executive orders that say boys should not be swimming, fighting, wrestling, participating in any sport against our girls is insane. And to have the governor of Maine in the last forty eight hours in DC argue minutes with the President of the United States, which he simply says, listen, follow federal law. We don't want boys participating in sports with girls. As defiant as she was. Anybody that saw that thing, I'll see you in court. And then two hundred and fifty million dollars of federal dollars being stripped from her state. She deserves it. Maine is a part of the United States of America. People, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. We do not want boys participating in sports against our girls. It's a common sense thing. Look, Brian Thomas, you're a girl dad. I'm a girl dad. There are girl dads that are listening to this broadcast right now all across this country, and they know what I'm saying is true. But even if you're not a girl, dad, you have the common sense to understand that you do not want boys swimming, fighting, wrestling. I don't care what it is playing football against your girls. It's totally ludicrous that we would think that we would have to debate and have this conversation. And you have schools and politicians still across this country. In the last forty eight hours, I'm there in Canton, Ohio, watching my TV watching the governor of Maine literally defiant to the end, looking the President in the eye, saying I'm not gonna listen to the federal government telling us no more will we allow boys this women against our girls. And by the way, if you want to talk about fairness and protecting our girls in title nine, you would be standing with me. I'm a person who supports the LGBTQ plus community, but I do not support biological men praying in sports against girls. It makes no sense in my mind.
Speaker 1: Well, you didn't call looking for an argument, and I guess it's eighty two percent of the American population, including seventy plus percent of Democrats. If you think if you want to put the blame on this to some political party. It's the Democrats that are pushing this, not the Republicans all fully agree with you. It's a losing argument for a politician to embraces. And as you, as you point out, I mean, we're counting your twenty twenty five and we're having a conversation about this. That it even was elevated, and that that men were actually participating against and regularly beating women in sports, that that could have even happened is mind blowing to me. It's just it's impossible to get your head around and rewind like fifteen years and say, hey, do you know what boys are going to be competing against women in sports in a little while, and be like, you're out of your mind. This is never gonna happen. Boys have a biological advantage over girls, strength and size and speed, and you know, women's records versus men's records demonstrably prove that over and over again. Now there is the rare occasion, you know, you know, where a woman can beat a man, but the vast majority of the cases that's not going to be the case.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, And let me share with you, like on this practical, practical point that I know you appreciate My daughter Camille has been swimming since she was five. She started at the Critonville Swim Club and now she's seventeen and she's swimming for Seed in high school. Look, these are girls that have dedicated their entire life to the support to this sport. Girls are losing and winning in this sport by as you know, a tenth.
Speaker 8: Of a second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what in the world would you want to destroy that girl's opportunity to get a scholarship to swim to whatever, Because you're just looking at the times when you're trying to recruit to have a boy in that pool with that girl who and her family, her mom, dad, grandparents, who have dedicated their entire life for the last ten years, the last twelve year for that girl. I'm just saying, it's amazing to me that Democrats want to die on this still, Brian Thomas, that they still believe that it's okay for boys to compete against girls in sports. It's not. It's a bridge too far. And I'm so happy that President Trump is saying no to this, we are not going to allow you to do this. You're going too far. And to that main Governor and any governor across this country. I think the federal government should strip every single dollar from them and then let their constituents if they can go it alone, if they can ignore the federal government, you can't eat your cake. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You don't get our federal dollars. And at the same time say you're going to ignore us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's a lot of precedent for withholding federal dollars. I mean here in the state of Ohio. You may remember many years back, in fact, I was grandfathered in at the age of nineteen because I well, I beat the dead line, but they would the federal garment withheld federal tax dollars for the highway funds unless we capitulated to turning the drinking age into twenty one in this state. We didn't want to do it. We wanted to allow nineteen year olds to drink beer, but because the federal government wanted it to be twenty one, we had to finally say, okay, well, we need the federal money, so we'll go ahead and change the drinking age. And that's what happens. So lots of precedent for this out there and I and again everybody agrees with you. And I'm sure the vast majority of her constituents agree with your point of view and not the governor's point of view. So I mean, even Trump told her I when calling her out, he said, you know, good luck, because you're not going to get re elected again. You know, hold on, we'll bring Christopher Christopher back for a few more thoughts. Seven thirty six at fifty five K see the talk station. And you know, I always look at it this way. You can get the best for less, and isn't that a good thing? Less money for the best. And I would I insist that the mechanics at Foreign Exchange se certified master technicians that will repair your imported car are traditionally imported car, whether it's from Asia or Europe, and they'll fix it and you'll be glad. You'll get a full warrant, teen parts in service. They treat you like family there. Customer service couldn't be better. And it's the bottom line is your bottom line is the way I always like to characterize it, because compared to the dealer, you're not going to pay as much, so you're getting all this quality service and no concerns because of the warranties you get and you keep more money in your pocket. And we all know if you've had your car repaired recently, yeah, it's gotten expensive. So keep your car in top running order and consider this. If you're a Tesla owner, they are Tesla repair experts as well. They've all been through the training and they're authorized to repair Teslas as well. So take your ev into Foreign Exchange for great service for less money. So tell Austin and the team at the Westchester location, which is the one I recommend. That's where we've been going for years and years. Tyler's the legs at off of I seventy five East two streets, right on Kinglin and you are there. You're there online at Foreign xpor in the letter x dot com. Here's the number for the Westchester location. Please tell them, Brian said high five one three six four four twenty six twenty six five one three six four four twenty six, twenty six.
Speaker 12: This is fifty five KARC an iHeartRadio station, a great setting.
Speaker 1: Seven forty if you about kcdtalk stations. Responding to uh, let us see here, Tom, who said, yeah, I fully agree that men and women should not be participating in the same sports once they are a certain age. But should this really be a federal issue? If abortion is a state issue, which I agree it is, shouldn't this be a state issue as well? Well? Tom? The answer is twofold one. Title nine governs this and it involves that's a federal law, and it involves the receipt of federal money. If you're a private school in a state and you do not accept federal money, then this doesn't apply to you. You can have men participating against women can exceptually, though we all agree that it's not right. So that's that's the distinction that needs to be drawn here. There is. It's Title nine and the receipt of federal dollars which come with strings attached, right, Christopher. They always come with strings, they they do.
Speaker 3: And elections have consequences, meaning President Trump wawn, he has the right to put his footprint on the federal government. I e. Get back to work, and so these these workers that are out there like, hey man, I've been working from home. I've been taking bubble bass and on my laptop and running around do whatever. And you have a new you have a new sheriff that says you know what, I want you to show up to work. I want you to physically be here. We've got federal buildings that are just empty that we're paying for. Come back to work. Oh no, I'm not going to come back to work. You know, I'm going to give you. I'm going to give you the middle finger, and I'm not coming back. Who does that to their employer? And if you're a federal worker, get back to work, and there's no body out here who has sympathy for you because we're going to work every single day. Yeah, I don't get this, man.
Speaker 1: This is the most crazy story on that one of the craziest story. Rather. I read the other day. There's a federal cafeteria that's been shut down since COVID, and the cafeteria workers are at home being paid their cafeteria salary to work. And you can't remote cafeteria work. I mean, think about that. I mean you can argue if you're a federal employee that sits in front of a computer in an office in federal garment, you can take that computer and hook up and log in from home. Everybody's doing it these days, and you can make an argument. The look I'm producing I'm getting my eight hours in. I hear check my look, check, look at all the work I've done. So I get that argument. It's inconvenient to show up at work. But it's inconvenient for everybody that has to drive into an office and do their job. But if you're a cafeteria worker, how dare you draw a salary make an argument that you're remote working. It's preposterous.
Speaker 3: Think about every public service worker in the country. May they come out every day, whether they're removing snow or salting the streets or picking up trash, picking up our trash. I don't get all of this, you know, Like the bottom line is President Biden let it go too long. He just allow people to do whatever they wanted to do. And you have new bosses in place that are saying, we want productivity, we want to know what you're doing, we want the energy of the workers all coming together whatever's in their mind. They are the boss. And if you don't want that job, quit, you're going to be fired today. I'm just amazed at all of the anks over this. When I'm talking to people like oh Man, I think they should just let them continue to work remotely. Look, they can't come back to work and do your job. My last point is on DOGE. I don't even understand what some of these Democratic congressional members are arguing. We're talking about fraud, we're talking about corruption. We're talking about the misuse of money, whether it's Social Security and somebody getting a tech who's one hundred and fifty years old. I mean, the reality of it is, what are you protesting? I don't understand it. Man, I'm sitting there going kit. We all just agree that fraud and corruption is bad. Nothing they've put up there that I've seen that we're spending money on internationally or or domestically makes any sense to me. And as we get closer to April the fifteenth, when people have to file their taxes, they're going to be more pissed off by this subject matter than they are even now, because we're tired of writing checks through the federal government and then wasting it and then having federal work. Or sit back and some there knows that us and say, you know what, I really don't have to work. I really don't have to tell you whether I'm productive or not. I really don't have to listen to my boss. That is not reality. Get your butts back to work, do your job, and if not, you don't have one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is our money that pays their salary. I think we should read we have a legitimate expectation that we know that work is getting done. They're in an office building where there's some supervision going on and some insurance that they're actually sitting at their desk doing their work.
Speaker 3: Good point, Christ And the last thing I'm going to say, the last thing I want to say to you, Brian Thomas, is there are some jobs that could be done remotely. I understand that, but that's not a cafeteria worker. Right. There are obvious positions here. If I want the public to understand, there are grotesque situations that are happening right now that the new leaders are seeing saying, listen, you cannot be a cafeteria worker and tell me that you're working from home. That doesn't work. So we understand that there are exceptions out here where there are federal workers who could do their jobs remotely. We can deal with that, but there's so many of them that cannot get back in the office. Do your job. We're going to sort it out. Let's see what thank you're doing every day. And then for those workers who we don't need, they've got to find a new job because we don't want to just keep paying for nothing. That doesn't make sense. And all of us are tired of paying these higher taxes. It is just crazy. Whether it's property taxes, whether it's federal taxes, whether it's state taxes, whether it's city taxes. We are taxed out. Brian Thomas this week, that's where we are. Congratulations to the seat and girls, Thank you so much for allowing me to have that privilege to just say thank you to Jody Schaefferman. What a phenomenal coach. I have tremendous respect for her. Brian Thomas, for everything she does ultimately for free. What a great swim program. You're my brother.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much man, Love you brother. We'll talk next Monday. Congratulations and Camille on the in the relay team and the coach. Excellent work up state. Seven forty seven, Thank you brother. You're welcome man, always welcome the opportunity to talk with you. Seven forty seven fifty five KRCD Talk Station. A little bit more to talk about at the top of our news of course, money Monday with Brian and James some good topics with Brian in the meantime, experience comfort and reliability with Zimmer HVAC man. They've been added for more than seventy five years and they're so proud. It's the Zimmer family and Chris Zimmer will take great care evy third generation ensuring homes are warm and efficient throughout Greater Cincinnati in the winter time and of course nice and cool and comfortable in the summertime. So right now you can turn to the experts at Zimmer for a warm Carrier system. Carrier makes great HVAC units and Chris Zimmer will tell you all about them. So if you're ready to enhance your homes comfort, book your appointment online. It's easy to do. You can learn more about all the services they offer and including the maintenance programs, which is a good recommendation for that one. Improve the efficiency of your system and keep it in top running order throughout the year and extend the life by having its service regularly. Chris Simmer can be reached at five one three, five two one ninety eight ninety three five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three. Trust Zimmer HVAC to keep your home cozy and your energy bills low. Go zimmer dot com your first step to a more comfortable home. Fifty five KRC Channel nine Weather forecast. We get some sun. I guess initial chi initially initial g ugh, it'll turn partly cloudy, the a bit breeze and maybe a shower thrown in the mix. High at fifty two, down at thirty six seven, night with clouds fifty six to high Tomorrow with afternoon sunshine and a slight chance of rain in the morning. Clouds overnight thirty two for the low and then sixty three for the high. Wednesday. But it is they say the best chance of rain all week. I guess the full day on Wednesday, thirty degrees. Right now, let's get a traffic update.
Speaker 9: From the uc of Traffic Center Round. Forty percent of cancers are preventable. Lifestyle changes and screenings can make a difference. Called five one, three, five eight five U see see see left lane remains block northbound fourth seventy one on the bridge and that's backing traffic to south Gate over at twenty five minute delay into town northbound seventy five right two lanes of block for the wreck above seventy four backing traffic da Hoppo and inbound seventy four backs in North Bend. There's a wreckon river near State than Hay's warsaw blocked off at river as well. Show Kingbram. I'm fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven if you have KERCD talk station Money Money with Brian James at the top of the our news. Apparently our sentiment has fallen. Could those cause the market correction? Home sales drop in January and more Americans are cash poor? Those of the subject matter with Brian James. The Meantimes take Jim's call. Jim, thanks for calling this morning. Welcome to the show. Hi, Brian, how are you doing doing well? Man? Hope you can say the same. What's on your mind this morning?
Speaker 17: I think for us traditional thinking folks instead of it's hard not to get frustrated listening to some of this liberal dogma. But I think for the next two years we should encourage it. I wish every liberal governor would root for boy playing against girls and all the other stuff for at least two more years.
Speaker 1: I didn't agree more. And it was funny because Christopher talked about they picked this hill to die on. There was a Daily Caller, uh, sort of an op ed, but a reporting piece headline it appears Democrats have finally picked a hill to die on by Adam Pack and that was the point he was making and they quote it. No, no go ahead.
Speaker 17: I was just gonna say, they haven't dropped.
Speaker 18: They haven't gotten off of any of their hills since November. They're still It's unbelievable.
Speaker 17: Joy Reid got fired, finally got fired.
Speaker 1: Bobby called this morning. He said he was wearing a black armband honor of Joy Joy Reid getting getting canceled because that was his his favorite comedy television show. So appreciate it.
Speaker 18: If you're not if you're not screaming at it, you're laughing at it, and you try to laugh at it and encourage it and just keep doing it on and keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 3: It's working.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was one of her five regular audience members. So, Jim, thanks to the call man. I appreciate that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In this article, Terry Shilling, who's president of American Principles Project, had this to say about this hill, that Democrats are dying rather than changing course and abandoning the destructive transgender agenda. Democrats are ignoring what the majority of Americans know to be true just to appease the radical wing of their party. And here's the Saling point. I hope Democrats keep running campaigns and focus on the transgender agenda. It will make Republican candidate cycles much easier. To Jim's point. Yeah, and then here's a fun one out of Wisconsin. Governor Wisconsin Troy Tony Evers, Democrat, getting a little backlash because of the budget he introduced that recommends some changes, including a change that swaps the word mother for inseminated person. Also changed the term paternity to parentage. Other change father would be replaced to parent, mother would become quote parent who gave birth to the child, right or well much seven fifty five fifty five cars to the talk station Brian James, Monday, Monday, coming up at the top of the our news. I hope you can stick around covering Trump's first one hundred days. Every day America's deadline is over.
Speaker 15: Fifty five KR the talk station, this report do anything Trump does?
Speaker 1: I think she knows we is doing every day.
Speaker 15: What we have to you know, fifty five KRC the talk station. Hey O five A fifty five kr C the talk station.
Speaker 1: A very Happy Monday always made extra special happy we get to hear from Brian James, Mworth Financial on money matters. Brian James, Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show. Thank you, and good morning to you as well. Not a lot of good news in the rundown of topics here, so let's talk about um sentiment. I know there's a couple of polls out of Michigan, University of Michigan Pole and a CNN poll people not feeling real good about the economy, at least in so far as concerns about inflation or concerned. They are the those polled who are having these concerns and the sentiment dropping off.
Speaker 19: Accurate, Well, any poll is only as accurate as the audience that they're talking to. Now, these do come from the University of Michigan, which is that that's who we're always talking about, right whenever you hear the words consumer sentiment. Yes, there are plenty of organizations, but the University of Michigan is the whopper that has been around for the longest time. So if you're going to trust any pole, it's the one with the largest reach in the most history. So University of Michigan latest survey is showing a significant decline in sentiment from in February, dropping by about ten percent from January. This is not shocking if you've paid any attention at all to the headlines. I think there were plenty of people out there who thought all we had to do was was elect a really conservative administration and everything would get fixed with the push of a button, because it's just that simple.
Speaker 1: Well, we know that's not the case. Obviously.
Speaker 19: Egg prices or the thing that everybody's sick of hearing about. Tariffs are never ever, ever going to be an immediate good thing. They are shot across the bow to start a little bit of a trade war and settle things out at a different point. But in the very short run, we're always going to have a negative downturn as business sorts itself out and countries figure out how they're going to work together again with regard to these trade agreements. We've seen it before though, so nothing to panic about yet. However, Yes, obviously a lot of grumpy people out there at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, and I found it a little ridiculous that Trump actually said on the campaign praile here at trail he promised to bring down prices starting day one. I think I may even comment about that on the air. How I mean, this is inflation is very complicated and complex. You talk about egg prices, well, there's something called the bird flew out there. They're killing millions and millions and millions of chicken, obviously reducing the availability the price of eggs. So there's one legitimate connection that has nothing to do whatsoever with any administration's policies. So you can't magically make bird flu go away or magically increase the number of laying chickens in the world. So we're gonna have to struggle with that problem for a while till it gets worked out. However it gets worked out. But insofar as tariffs are concerned, and you and I kind of share the same point on that, if you increase tariffs, the prices are going to necessarily increase by some percentage, maybe not a full twenty five percent, but that's going to get passed the loan to the consumer. Has that happened yet, I mean, we're feeling yet the impact of tariffs because my understanding is it hasn't really settled in yet.
Speaker 19: Yeah, we're starting to see increases on prices on things laid on things that come out of China. For example, iPhone's MacBooks are starting to increase prices a little bit.
Speaker 1: The fast fashion types of things.
Speaker 19: These are names who wouldn't have heard of ten years ago, Shine and Timu, and I think I'm pronouncing one of those incorrectly. But these are places where people have used a lot in recent history to get really cheap clothing and things like that.
Speaker 1: That's kind of ground zero for what we're really after. There are rules, not not.
Speaker 19: Only the tariffs, but there are rules that were in place called the deminimous Exemptions that that basically allowed China to create extremely cheap items of apparel and things like that and ship them over here. Shipping is the big part, but the policies that were in place prior to this allowed them to do that very easily and very cheaply.
Speaker 1: Those rules have changed too.
Speaker 19: That's not a tariff, that's simply the removal of a discount effectively, so things like that are going to get more expensive. We're also seeing produce fruits and vegetables from Mexico, avocados, tomatoes, strawberries, bell pepper, stuff like that. If you've been paying attention, have seen noticeable price increases, they're not yet. Remember these are things that per unit don't cost that much to begin with. So unless you're truly paying attention, and you're one of those people with a spreadsheet and I've seen them in the grocery store lately tracking prices over time, you may not notice this. But you know something that costs fifty cents now that now costs fifty five cents, that's a nickel. But if you do the math, that's a ten percent increase. So these things were just at the beginning of this. They're going to sneak in. The price increases are going to sneak in kind of without us noticing unless you're paying close attention.
Speaker 1: Well, I know one of the things that was mentioned in the article fed share, A Jerome Pala said last year to keynote address is you know it was inflation brought about by a number of factors. Again, all these different factors over which a brand new administration can't really control, but pent up demand, stimulative policies, pandemic changes in work and leisure, policies and the additional savings associated with constrained services. In other words, people weren't out spending the money. Finally, when the economy got opened back up again, it was a spending free for all, which contributed to a historic surgeon consumer spending on goods. If the demand goes down because people are feeling the heat of you know, the real estate tax is going up, or maybe some of the increase in pricing. Obviously, grocery store prices continue to go up. If demand goes down, then that might have an impact on lowering prices because the supply will increase. Correct, that's all part of the correction.
Speaker 19: But demand going down is usually going to result in some pain to I know, because if demand goes down for a product that your company creates, guess who's in for a round of belt tightening.
Speaker 1: So that's all part of the process here of If we.
Speaker 19: Want to change the point at which we meet in the market, meaning what do we pay other countries for the goods and services that we're buying for them, what do they pay us for ours, we want to change the point where we are on the playing field for that, But that's not going to happen without some pain and without some adjustment, and that you're seeing an awful lot of that, you know, just in the federal government with the cuts that like them or not, the cuts that are coming from from the Doze Office, whether it's real or not, these things are actually happening, and that is the same thing. We just want to change how the money moves around. We want to change how business is done, good, bad and different. There can be good things that come out of that, there can be bad things, but no matter what, there's going to be disruption, and it's going to be a bit of a b right, and we're already seeing that these last several weeks.
Speaker 1: Well, sort of a correlated to this discussion, I saw this article headlines in the front page at the Wall Street Journal. The US economy depends more than ever on rich people. The highest earning ten percent of Americans account for almost fifty percent of all consumer spending, and as the article points out, the number of lower income earners spending is dropping, but the rich people keep going out and spending heaploads of cash and all kinds of things, including travel and you know, stuff that's out of the reach of a lot of Americans.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and that's what masks a lot of you know, the real life situation here in the United States, because those ten percent can really keep the economy cooking as they have for the last several years. But you also have a lot of people suffering out there, but that's hidden by the fact that we have a strong economy. Economy keeps growing. The stock market the last couple of years has been strong. We tend to forget about twenty twenty two was a terrible year in the stock market, but it doesn't come with a story attached, really, so we don't really think about that. Nobody talks about it like we do in two thousand and eight. However, there's a lot of people suffering out there, but that gets completely hidden by all the economic activity that that largest or richest ten percent is producing. And unfortunately, that's become the American way over the last century or so. That's not a new phenomenon. It's just getting the two groups are just getting.
Speaker 1: Further and further apart, all right, and pivoting over to something connected on some level market correction. I keep hearing about we're going to we're due for a market correction, and not in a good way. In other words, the market is over priced and people are expecting it to drop off and valuations of stocks to drop off. And the question is, as some are have observed, are the doge cuts bad for the economy and will it empower? Will it cause perhaps a market correction?
Speaker 10: Good?
Speaker 1: Very well.
Speaker 19: So this latest talking head is Steve Cohen. He's the CEO of er point seventy two asset Management, and he says he is now bearished on the US economy for the first time in a while. He manages a hedge fund. He's a billionaire hedge fund type of a guy, obviously a very smart person who have gotten to the point. Certainly his opinion is worth something. But at the same time, you can go back through time, and I encourage people to do this when you start to feel attracted to this one talking head on some TV show says, here's what I think that is valuable. However, go back in time and go see what people said about early twenty two or early twenty three or twenty four. There is always at least one talking head out there who is not necessarily a stupid person, but there's always one talking head out there that is predicting a huge pullback We never ever ever go back and see whether these people will write or not. So maybe Brian Thomas, you and I should mark our calendars for February whatever it is, twenty fourth of twenty six and see if mister Cohen was correct or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hope he's not correct, because a lot of people have a lot of money in for oh and ks and they're counting on that for the retirement. We don't want to see the market going to toilet again. Does take a little bit while to get that money back, although the market has rebounded enough that most people have made up that money that we lost in twenty twenty two. Anyhow, Brian James, all with financials pause will find out about home sales dropping in January and more Americans taking loans to pay for emergencies, but at what cost? Cash poor Americans a real problem eight fifteen fifty five KC DE Talk station, Don't go awayd be right back fifty five KRC. If you're a Claremont County VET and a very happy Monday to you, try to find some happiness in these sad stories we're talking about with money, mondays Brian James, and in real estate, home sales have dropped January because prices are really high and people's perception of the interest rates for mortgages really high, and the combination of the two just really puts people out out of the market. I saw the medium price of a home in January three hundred and ninety six nine hundred dollars. That's up four percent four point eight percent from the year before, and the highest price ever for the month of January. That's a lot of money for medium price, Brian James, that really is and then we may maybe maybe seeing a peek in all this.
Speaker 19: So sales are previously owned homes fell by almost five percent in January compared to December. One point one eight million homes for sale at the end of January. That was an increase of three and a half percent and an up seventeen percent from January twenty four. So interestingly, we are seeing more homes than the number of homes hitting the sale block has increased percentage wise, but the actual closed sales are starting to drop.
Speaker 1: So that's a sign of a peak here.
Speaker 19: And as you mentioned that the median price of a home three hundred and ninety six thousand dollars, that's up five percent itself. That's the highest we've ever had on that particular measure. In Cincinnati is not exempt from this anymore like we used to be. The secret is out that this is a wonderful place to live, and at least up until now, has been very reasonably priced with regard to real estate. Still is of course regarding the compared to the richest places out there in New York City, San Francisco, and so forth. But at the same time, we are not the bargain that we used to be, so we're lot this isn't too much of a surprise the analysts. We're expecting about a two point six percent decline in sales, however, or the actual decline was about five percent, So these you know, we might be getting to that point where we're going to start to see a.
Speaker 1: Correction, bit of a correction of the housing market. Well, I guess if you want to sell your home and it sits out there for a long time and people aren't coming to see it, maybe you've overpriced the home and asking too much, which obviously, if you're going to sell the house, you're gonna have to lower the price to a point where someone's going to even show up to take a look at it, which apparently they're not right now. So yeah, that there's a market correction that might benefit everybody, just lower expectations on the value of your home. Yeah, and that's where it starts. I mean there a house is always worth something.
Speaker 19: Houses are never absolutely completely worthless and let it unless it's you know, completely run down and about to fall apart.
Speaker 1: It's always the price that's the issue.
Speaker 19: So if the if the buying market has shied away from the neighborhood you happen to be in, well you can correct that by lowering the price. It's not wonderful, but it doesn't mean you cannot sell your house at the same time. So there's also an issue right now with there are there are arguably fewer buyers out there than there would be in a normal market, because there are people out there who want to change their neighborhood or downsize, or they want to sell their home for some reason, but they're currently sitting on a mortgage it's less than four percent. Well, those folks are going to say, you know what, we're not really in a hurry that the problems we've identified here are not immediate. Let's wait until it's better and enjoy our four percent mortgage a little more. So that means sellers are really only dealing with people who are forced to move because of a job or maybe they have to have a bigger house or something like that. That just means there are fewer buyers out there now because the ones who have flexibility are exercising that flexibility and going to hold off a little bit.
Speaker 1: And we've had conversations before about you know, paying off your home and actually owning it. And I know that's not always within the reach of a lot of people, but my wife and I you know, did a little bell tightening over the years when we had that lower, just slightly under three percent mortgage because we refinanced to a much lower level. That's the right thing to do, but we use the extra money to make extra payments every month and ended up being able to buy the home a lot earlier. Now, is that, from a financial planning standpoint, a good thing to do when it is that low, or where we have been better served had we taken that extra revenue and maybe put it into the market or something.
Speaker 19: Great question comes up all the time here at this table, and I'm not sure it's a quizit important question. So yeah, I can show I can show you in a spreadsheet, Brian, that the best thing we should all do is borrow money against everything and always invest it, and by the time we're one hundred years old, we have a gigantic pile of money. That's the mathematical answer, but it's obviously not the human answer. So when you have this situation, yeah, it always makes sense to invest as much as you can. What I would encourage people to do is truly learn how an amortized mortgage works. And that simply means go look at understand the relationship between your payment and the interest rate and how much goes to principle early in the mortgage versus how much goes late. If you're ten years into a fifteen year mortgage, are paying very very very very very little no matter what the interest rate is. You are paying very little interest because you're mostly paying principle, because you pay the interest on amortization exactly. Yes, you paid it up front. Your first payment was ninety nine percent interest. Your last payment is going to be ninety nine percent principle. Everything else is somewhere in between. So I am a big believer, and of course come up with a financial plan, and first of all, see what you need to do, and then once you've got the basics covered, make these decisions based off of what will make you feel most confident. If you feel like my nest egg is a little low, I need more money, that's fine, and your interest, your mortgage rate is reasonable, then focus.
Speaker 1: On the four one k.
Speaker 19: Put those extra dollars a four one k and grown. Or if you feel the opposite, you know what, I think, We're okay, we got a good pile of money. I really want to get this mortgage monkey off my back. That's fine, pay it down more quickly. That's an emotional decision, not so much a mathematical one, right, And you know, I really really understood that when we did it. But we were able to do the extra payments because we were in a comfortable position. And I got to think about being in debt, Brian, I really do.
Speaker 10: I hate it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's because of my west Side genetics, but if I owe a human being a dollar, I want to discharge that asap. And that and just you know, the idea of owning something outright just makes me feel very comfortable, you know what I mean. It's a psychological thing, it absolutely is. And here's a common situation that drives this question.
Speaker 19: So when people are in their late fifties, early maybe mid sixties, and they still have a mortgage, that's usually about the age that if there's an inheritance coming, then that's about when it's going to happen. So oftentimes people will have a windfall and I've now got a one hundred grand available that I don't have it doesn't have a job. Should I invest it, Should I pay off the mortgage or whatever? So, yes, those wind falls tend to drive that decision. And again there's a mathematical component to it. And I always let's start with the math. Here's the impact of investing it versus here's the impact of paying off all of your debt. And then we can start to see here's the mathematical impact that is known. It's black and white, it's in stone. Let's talk about how you will feel emotionally and psychologically doing one versus the other.
Speaker 1: That is usually the answer as long as those basics are covered right, And another a shout out for financial planners who are working for you and have a fiduciary obligation. They will break this down for you. You don't have to do it yourself. And I think it's a critical thing for your future to have a financial planner so you can have these conversations and make informed decisions to maximize your investment opportunities. Brian James pause from them. We're going to find out with the problem we're facing here in America, people are apparently pretty cash poor. Maybe some financial planning advice additional coming up next eight twenty six to fifty five KCD talk station fifty five KRC. This is this simply money minuted Channel nine and weel forecast tells us we're going to have some sun this morning. It'll be partly cloudy, breezy later today, possible showers fifty two for the high, partly cloudy every night for the low of thirty six. I have fifty six tomorrow with a little chance of rain in the morning, followed by afternoon sunshine, thoty every night down to thirty and the best chance of rain all week will be on Wednesday. But the bonus you get sixty three degrees thirty three right now if you've got KERCD talk station time for traffic Chuck Ingram fundly.
Speaker 9: You see how traffic center. Around forty percent of cancers are preventable. Lifestyle changes and screenings can make a difference. Called five one three, five eighty five U see c see the latest thanksentent he's been two to seventy five at Montgomery Road.
Speaker 1: Lefling's bocked in bend seventy four.
Speaker 9: Continues to be a slow go from above Montana from problems earlier. There's a retroun Union center at Lakota West and on Madison at gwind Shade. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Ay twenty nine. If if you got KCD talk station doing that money Monday thing with all the financials Brian James. He is a financial planner, and maybe he can help out some of the folks who are dealing with these struggles. And it's kind of heartbreaking, Brian, when you read how many folks do not have money to cover, you know, an expense that might pop up. A lot lot of people live in paycheck to paycheck and even as the article points out folks making six figures, I mean that sounds to me like they maybe need to speak with someone like you in financial planning. I don't know. I'm not living in these circumstances, but when you see it broken down, you know somebody has a car repair, or medical bills or a big one surprise expenses, which happened to literally every human being. They're put in a bad place, and quite often that's going to end up on a high interest credit card. Exactly.
Speaker 19: This is a real life example of fins to the left. Fins to the right were surrounded by sharks. And as you pointed out, it affects not only people who just don't have a lot to put together, it affects people who aren't paying attention. So I'll here's two quick examples that had a client does it's probably twenty five years ago. Well, when I was young and just getting started, client would would pull out money from their IRA to pay there I forget with cash to go or whatever, whether the payday lender. They just treated their monthly payday lender like a credit card. Every month they would go get money out and pay a ridiculous interest rate, and then they would have to take money out of the IRA to pay it off. So it took months to get them to catch up and stop that process. Now, shortly after that, I had a client that came to me from the private client group of a bank I was working for, and he was a doctor with an enormous amount millions of dollars worth of cash flow, and he was paying thirty some thousand dollars in overdraft fees just because he never sat down to catch up on his own cash flow. And when the rules changed the CFPB, that's a whole other topic. But the CFPB came in and said the banks can't do this anymore. The bank that I was employed by was concerned about the revenue we were going to lose because we couldn't do that to him anymore. Fins to the left, fins to the right. If there's a need out there, there will be somebody out there to fill it. But yes, you're right, this concern among a lot of people is resulting in these payday lenders and these subprime credit cards where fees are sometimes go up to ninety percent of the principal payday loans average cost of about thirty five percent. There's abuse out there, but people are still falling for it.
Speaker 1: So in terms of a payday loan, they're gonna if you know, you borrow us one thousand dollars, the payday lender is gonna get thirty five percent of that.
Speaker 19: Yeah, because if you if you are somebody who is forced into the situation of going to a payday lender, then that means you don't have anything else. You don't have anything else you could use as collateral other than your next payday, your next paycheck. So you walk into one of these places and they have bulletproof glass for a reason, and you want to and you basically provide proof of employment with your past pay stubs, and you just basically tell them you're gonna get my next paycheck, it's gonna come on this day. And they say, cool, here's one thousand bucks. By the way, it's gonna be thirteen fifty to pay us back because that's the average cost of the payday loan. But again, remember these are people who don't have any other choice and feel forced into these situations. There's always gonna be somebody willing to bankroll that. But it's not much different than than paying the mafia protection money.
Speaker 1: Wow, Now, is there a best case option for folks who find themselves in this position? Like, oh my god, you know I got this three thousand dollars bill that I had to pay. Was a medical expense or they needed their roof repaired or car repaired? Is there an option that it represents the best option for folks rather than obviously something like a paiday loan. Sure?
Speaker 19: So what I what I what I look at in situations like this is you know what else could we borrow against?
Speaker 3: Is there?
Speaker 19: First off, maybe there's a credit card out there that you've got in your arsenal that doesn't have a ridiculous interest rate. Maybe you have something that's that's on a on one of those bonus upfront offering rates, or maybe you're getting those envelopes in your mailbox. Nobody wants to have more credit cards than we have to. But if somebody is offering you zero percent for six months or twelve months or whatever it is, then that can be an opportunity to deal with this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: If that's not a choice, then maybe a home equity line. I just wrote that down home equity can be Yeah, because it's a great Interest rates are currently run a seven percent or whatever, so you figure home equity loans probably going to fall into that lower single digit category. If you've got equity in your home, and you can get your bank to could give you a home equity loan. At least you're not paying thirty percent interest. Correct now, debt is debt. We don't want it.
Speaker 19: But remember this shouldn't be a permanent situation anyway. If you find yourself in this permanent situation of just always being behind, then it's time for a ground to ceiling Florida ceiling redo of your all your finances. This is more like the engine fell out the bottom of the car and I can't afford to buy a new one. I'm just gonna have to pay the five grand or whatever it is to put an engine back in the car. That's something that makes perfect sense for a home equity line of credit. And because yes, you should be able to keep that interest rate within the single digit the single digit range, which is helpful. But the other thing I throw out is if you have one out there, and I've had this conversation recently with clients and you want to pay it off, do so. Don't necessarily close it because you never know how you're going to need a pile of cash the short run, and if you are about to retire, keep that line open even if it's paid off. It can be at zero even just pay an annual fee or something, because it will be harder to get one after you no longer have W two income.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get basically like a checkbook that draws against your home equity line of credit so correct, or even a debit card as well.
Speaker 19: It's very easy to use once you've got it set up and then making the payments back.
Speaker 1: It works like a credit card. It'll look and feel like a credit card. It's just you're borrowing against your house.
Speaker 19: If you're going to borrow five thousand bucks against two hundred thousand dollars house, you're okay. If you're going to borrow one hundred grand against your two hundred thousand dollars house, maybe we need to sit down and talk about what the real problem is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might want to hold off on that new edition remodeling project at that particular time. Brian James, appreciate your sound financial advice and the suggestions you offer folks, and for coming on the program every morning to talk every Monday to talk about it. I'll look forward to next Money, another edition of Money Monday, and thanks as always to all with financial for loading you out. I appreciate the oppertinity. We'll talk to you in a week. Take care of Brian. It's a thirty five right now, fifty five KRS City Talk station, joking up with the phone, opening up the phone, lunch of the something specific you want to talk about, Happy to do that, but anyway, don't go well, I'll be right back.
Speaker 12: This is fifty five KARC an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Man, this is Jeffy coming on an eight thirty nine and fifty five KR City Talk station five one, three, seven four nine fifty five hundred, eight hundred eighty two to three Talk or go with Town five fifty on AT and T phones. Reminding folks early in the morning six oh five, we did a sort of a mashup. Joe put a mash up together an interview with my with with Representative Jennifer Gross from last week talking about the Medicaid waste and the fact that the auditor had finally dove into it and discovered that I guess twenty five percent or twenty six percent of the state's medicaid payments. We're going to people who do not live in the state. Obviously a massive red flag for fraud and uh, I was recalling and I know my listener friend Jay out there brings us up all the time, and I'm not sure if he was listening to it or not. Jay, if you didn't get a chance to listen and go to the podcast page fifty five care sea dot com. But he has keen interest in this subject because we're talking a lot of money. And when you look at the amount of money going out of state and the amount of money that it the medicaid program deals with, which is between forty and fifty million dollars or billion dollars in the state budget, the largest item in the state budget, Medicaid. The total amount going out of state, it seemed to me, doing my rudimentary math, translated to around ten billion dollars. And I interviewed Keith Faber about this back it was all the way back to January twenty twenty three, and he seemed to dance around the issue a little bit. And I'll let you draw your own conclusions. We had a bit of a computer glitch this morning, got it's work sorted out. So Joe's got the podcast of Jennifer Gross talking about the subject because she is on a Medicaid Subcommittee in Columbus now that they formed to deal with and solve and fix these problems. The problem is you need an administration willing to let you fix the problems, like, for example, a work requirement. If you want to require and make a mandate or work requirement in order to qualify for Medicaid, you either have to get classes and training, or you have to go out and look for a job, which they want to do in the state of Ohio. You got to get approval from the administration in DC. So now that we have a change of the guard, the likelihood that that will happen and we will get approval in the state is far more likely than it was under the Biden administration, which wouldn't allow for mandatory work requirements. But insofar as fixing the problems of paying people who don't live in the state, apparently that's also a complicating factor. So they're acting now. They're seemed to be working on it now, and I'm glad Jennifer Gross is on the job. But if you didn't get a chance to listen to that, it's well worth The difference between January twenty twenty three and the audits they've done sample audits. They are, but enough for them to calculate that twenty five twenty six percent was going out of state and probably still is as we speak. Can you imagine how much I mean that would free up ten billion dollars? It just you could take the line item off the budget. Maybe you could lower our real estate taxes if we did something like that, or get rid of the income tax or something certainly something valuable they could do with all that money laying around and speaking of money, I thought this was rather interesting. Now do a thought exercise right here. Who opened the borders and allowed ten to fifteen million illegal immigrants to come into our country? Open door, Welcome here you are. Your hearing date will be sometime down the road, probably five or six years. Have fun. Here's a bus. Where do you want to go? I want to go to a sanctuary city. Okay, that would have been the Biden administration for those not paying attention, And look at what happened when Trump got elected. Look the number of people coming across the southern border is down to a trickle. It's amazing. And who called themselves sanctuary cities? Who designated themselves a welcome an open environment for illegal immigrants to come to and not worry about the city cooperating with ICE officials and costing you out of the country. Well, New York's one of them. So the Biden administration invited and actually encouraged people, coupled with non governmental organizations paid for with your money, facilitating the costing of the border, facilitating the finding of housing and shelter, and facilitating everything. They were paid with your tax payer dollars to do that, which had the aripple effect of encouraging even more people to make the perilous journey to the southern border, knowing that there were organizations there that were going to help them, and that there were cities that were going to welcome them and invite them and not throw them out. And now once the Trumble administration comes in, is trying to cost some of the money back, most notably eighty million dollars previously sent to New York City via the Federal Emergency Management Agency FEMA. You may have heard about that, or the purpose of housing migrants FEMA. Sorry sucks to be North Carolinians. FEMA money went to New York City. So New York City's now foled a lawsuit against the Trump administration. They foiled on Friday, seeking to wrestle back that eighty million dollars. They alleged the funds previously approved and then paid out by FEMA, only to be removed from the city bank account on February eleventh without notice or administrative process. It's magical that the government can do that, isn't it. Oh, by the way, we're pulling the money directly out of your bank account. Look, it's not there anymore. That funding was revoked after Elon Musk doing his doge work, found fifty nine million dollars a FEMA payments that New York was was being used by the city in New York City to house illegal immigrants in luxury hotels. And the luxury hotel owners love it because, you know, post COVID and during COVID, those places were empty. They weren't making a dime on any room. Once the illegal immigrants show up, they need a place to stay. New York City's city has some mandatory housing rules. Hey, let's put them in luxury hotels. And the hoteliers are happy because they're getting full freight for the room rental. Apparently to fifty nine million dollars, so Trump called that massive fraud. New York City was awarded two separate grants during the Biden administration. Remember this is your money. A problem created by Biden resulted in your taxpayer dollars as precious few as there are going to New York City fifty eight point six million dollars first, and another twenty one point nine million dollars to help house the immigrants pat payments made under the Shelter and Services Program. The Congress appropriated six hundred and fifty million dollars for last year to help local governments respond to the migrant crisis. Notice they use the word crisis, and notice the crisis that didn't have to happen. It was the Biden opened border's policy. Apparently, right now, forty five one thousand migrants staying and taxpayer funded shelters in New York City, up from sixty nine thousand more than a year ago. The law City accuses of the federal government of violating federal regulations in the terms of these Shelter and Service Program grants, as well as abusing the federal government's authority and obligations to implement congressionally approven funded and appropriated fund of programs. Adams defended and supported the lawsuit, the mayor, writing that the eighty million dollars was approved, paid for, and then rescinded, all while the city spent more than are you ready who's the fault here? Seven billion dollars of its own taxpayer money to tackle the crisis over the past three years, a situation invited by and created by their sanctuary city status. Quote from Eric Adams, we are going to work to ensure our city's residents get every dollar they are owed. Huh, they're owed. I don't know. It's a problem of their own creation. Democrats, sanctuary city, with a democratic administration and an OPRAH borders policy. They brought this on themselves, and I personally don't feel that, you know, the the money should be left in their hands. I mean with with with terrible action should come some consequences, But you know what, maybe we better not do this again. We going to whole rethink the whole process. A forty seven fifty five KSY talks say, look, Jay's on the phone. I'm glad you're out there. Jay will take your call. I got to take a break right now. I'll be right back after these brief words fifty five the talk station, have you found your new favorite? One more time from the Channel nine weather forecat we got on hands today. Sunny skies and that is until it gets cloudy. There may be a shower or two out there today. High have fifty two. It's going to be partly Claudia overnight going down to thirty six. Fifty six to high tomorrow with a little rain in the morning maybe otherwise a sunny day. Uh openight will of thirty two with mostly cloudy skies and then he had the best chance of rain all week all day Wednesday, but it will get to sixty three degrees.
Speaker 3: For the high.
Speaker 9: Those are that at thirty seven. Time for final traffic Chuck Ingram from the UCL Tramping Center. Around forty percent of cancers are preventable. Lifestyle changes and screenings can make a difference. Called five one three, five eighty five u se see see North Bend seventy five continues slow button Milton Kyle's southbound heaviest in in Adel Black one and Ben seventy four. A few break lights between Montana and seventy five. There's a wreck east to seventy five at Montgomery on the left shoulder and cruiser cleaning up a wreck on Union Center at Lakota West. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk Station.
Speaker 1: Eight fifty and fifty five krs the Talk Station, A very happy Monday to you, extra special day of the Morning show. Prayers from everyone. Keep your fingers crossed. Joe has scheduled vv A Gramma Swammy to join the program tomorrow along with the Bright Bird Inside Scoop and the Daniel Davis Deep Dive. So should be exciting tomorrow and looking forward to having VVAC on the program and fingers crossed that that will happen further Ado get Jay's called Jay, Thanks for calling this morning. I was hoping you were out there.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm out here, man.
Speaker 14: Hey.
Speaker 20: Fantastic work that you and Jay are doing. You guys are second to none. Nobody does this kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that.
Speaker 20: Real quick message to the listeners and know we're short on time. Why should you care about this medicaid fraud? Forty billion dollars is with Ohio pays in medicaid. Pennsylvania state budget is forty billion dollars.
Speaker 1: That says A. That's a mouthful, right, there man that that's it.
Speaker 4: Well, get better.
Speaker 20: Pennsylvania is a GDP is one trillion dollars a year. Ohio's GDP is nine hundred billion. So and if you take half, now this, you know twenty five percent of the Medicaid and Ohio going out of state. Don't assume that that's part of the forty three point three percent improper payment rate.
Speaker 3: What if it's on top of that?
Speaker 20: Bottom line is if you take a look at the primary and secondary education line in ohiocheckbook dot gov, it's twenty billion dollars to fund all of our primary and secondary education. You could take the ways from medicaid theoretically fund primary and secondary education, and that would drop everybody's property tax by seventy percent. Because seventy percent of your property tax fund schools. I think the schools need.
Speaker 4: To have a haircut as well.
Speaker 20: But just think about that, and think about what kind of economic development opportunity Ohio could have if they'd ever get this property tax then cleaned up. And here's the point. All the money to drop your property tax is already in Ohio, already in Columbus and Medicaid fraud. So anybody that's listening, say why should I there and pick up the phone and call my representative state senators. Take a look at your property tax bill and ask yourself if you to have that touch by fifty to seventy five percent, or to continue to fund medicaid fraud.
Speaker 1: Well well done, Brian and Jay. And the other point that needs to be made on this, the way we fund education in the state of Ohio was deemed unconstitutional like twenty years ago by our Supreme corpl and Mayo.
Speaker 10: So there's the solution.
Speaker 1: The solution, it's to be an excellent solution. So yeah, call Jennifer Gross, tell her to keep up the good work and get in touch with Favor the auditor. Tell him to keep auditing and ferreting out the fraud, waste and abuse. And somebody's got to get on the hoard of the Trump administration and start asking for these much needed changes so we can get rid of the fraud, wasted abuse. And I think we stand a good chance under our Trump administration. They certainly under the Biden administration they didn't allow it. It's just just unbelievable to me, unbelievable. Jay, Thank you so much. I appreciate your enthusiasm and your kind words about the program. I really really do, and for riding hurt on me to stay on top of that particular issue. It's this insane amount of money and it's right there, you know, I consider it low hanging fruit. What address are you sending the check to? Oh, look, New Hampshire. Maybe we shouldn't be sending checks out there, just the thought. Now I know New Hampshire. Gary's not getting one of those Medicaid checks. Joe, I'm sure he's not anyhow, Folks, again that interview with Jennifer Gross, a couple of the Key Faber interview, and again, apologies for the position to stop it. That's Joe's Chucker's territory, but Joe doesn't need a break. Every once in a whise got to leave the studio and he usually does it when I'm jawing, so it's just bad timing. But apologies. But it all came out in the wash and that's what counts, and it's right there on the blog page ifty five carsy dot com podcast page. Christopher smithm with the Smithment. Congratulations to his beautiful daughter and the team that made it. Up State came in thirteenth in the in the relay and that's an excellent, excellent showing, but he had more to talk about the beyond that. But very proud of his daughter he is and he has every right to be so money money with Brian James consumer sentiment following could doze cause a market ca home sales dropping off in January and sadly more Americans are cash poor. He gave us some sound advice about that latter category. Maybe get around it. So podcast at about cariscy dot com. You try hard mediap while you're there, and keep your fingers crossed for the Baked Ramaswamy tomorrow along with Daniel Davis Deep Dive and of course the Bright bart Inside Scoop. Thank you, Judge Strecker for the guests you lined up today. I truly appreciate it and the work you did on Going back to January of twenty three with my interview with Keith Faber, that's the last time I've talked to him. I hope you have a wonderful day, folks, and please don't go away. Clenbeck's coming up.
Speaker 4: A full rundown and the biggest headlines there's minutes away at the top of the hour.
Speaker 1: I'm giving you a fact now. The Americans shouldn't know fifty five KRS the talk station. This report Dave sponsored