Speaker 1: With Dan Ray on Boston.
Speaker 2: All Right, well, tomorrow night, at this time, we will be in the midst of what might be the one and only presidential debate between the two nominees. We had presidential primary debates all last winter, from January February March, and they petered out in April. Once President Biden secured a sufficient number of nominees delegates, I said, say, to win the nomination. He had fourteen million votes and collected more than enough delegates to the convention. Of course, everything changed after his June debate with President Trump. President Trump outlasted some Republican rivals, the most notable of which was Nikki Haley.
Speaker 3: And we all.
Speaker 2: Know what has happened in the last few weeks, and that is that President Biden decided that he was not going to run, He was not going to accept the nomination, and he was. He has basically gone into retirement, as simple as that. And Kamala Harris I think everyone understands. So tomorrow night, the Trump campaign and the Harris campaign have agreed to one debate. Now they may agree to subsequent debates, but they've agreed to one single debate Tomorrow night on ABC. It will be held in Philadelphia, which of course is a very critical state, a battleground state. And the questions that I have for you tonight on this, because I'd like to talk about this for a couple of hours, is what do you expect tomorrow night. We've been told that the rules are going to be similar to June for those of you who have been not following this closely, that the mics will be muted when their time has elapsed. The two candidates time have elapsed. There's no studio audience. I do not believe there's an opening statement. There may be a closing statement. The debate starts at nine o'clock and it is expected to go.
Speaker 3: For ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that is a hard and fast number or if the moderators of the debate, who are two of the ABC News anchors, have an opportunity to extend the debate. But the thing that to me is most interesting is it is potentially the only time that we will see these two candidates on the same stage together. That it is conceivable that this could be the first and only debate of twenty twenty four final presidential debate, which I think is a disgrace in the past.
Speaker 3: In the past, a so called.
Speaker 2: Presidential Debate Commission, which had been agreed upon by the two major parties, would schedule three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate. That was the formula for years. It is not the formula this year. We're apparently making it up as we've gone along. Now you can argue that there was one debate in June between an incumbent Democratic president and his Republican challenger, but those are not the two names that will be on the ballot.
Speaker 3: For you to choose.
Speaker 2: So I just want to hear from you as to what do you expect tomorrow night. Who has the advantage going into the debate? Is the advantage going in to President Trump or to Vice President Harris. My suspicion is the candidate who we talked earlier time with John Keller of WBCTV that the candidate that has the most to win tomorrow night is the candidate who is least known to the American public, and that, of course is Vice President Harris. The candidate who has the most to lose tomorrow night, in my opinion, is former President Trump. Now, you may agree or you may disagree. I'd love to hear what you think. But my thought is that if President Trump has the discipline that he displayed when he debated Joe Biden in June, he will probably have a pretty good night. If he does not display that discipline, and if he engages in any sort of a personal attack on Vice President Harris, that will not serve him well. My suspicion is that both of these candidates will be cautioned by their handlers, by their staff to follow a certain line of behavior. They will all be, I think, in a position to respond to whatever questions are asked. I can tell you this that surprisingly late last week, there was on CNN in Upfront with Aaron Burnett a very interesting story which we might get into, in which CNN accused the Harris campaign of hypocrisy for her switch on the border wall, in her use of the Trump boarder wall, which she had very openly in sisphrally vociferously, vociferously, Dan condemned uh and she used pictures of Trump's wall in her campaign commercials. And then there was this comment from Bernie Sanders yesterday. He was on Animus NBC and he was asked about Vice President Harris changing some of her positions or abandoning her progressive ideals. This is cut number five, Rob please play this.
Speaker 3: This is Bernie.
Speaker 4: Secrime Vice President Kamala Harris as a progressive. She has previously supported medicare for all, now she does not. She's previously supported a ban on fracking, now she does not. These, Senator, are ideas that you have campaigned on. Do you think that she is abandoning her progressive ideals?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think she's abandoning her ideals. I think she's trying to be pragmatic and doing what she thinks is right in order to win the election.
Speaker 3: My own view is slightly different.
Speaker 5: I think that in America today, there are a lot of people, rural people, working class people who no longer believe that the United States Congress and government represents their interests. They're dominated by big money interests.
Speaker 2: Well, that certainly unresponsive to the question, But what is critical is that she's trying to be pragmatic to win the election. You can interpret that by saying she basically is being disingenuous with the American people by changing positions that she endorsed and embraced for years and now realizes that she has to go to the center. So there's a lot of questions here. Donald Trump is not going to trim his sales. He's going to take positions and hold those positions. He will try to explain his position, certainly on abortion. That'll be a subject tomorrow night that is going to come up. So with all of that said, I just want to open up the phone lines, give everybody a chance to join the conversation. What do you expect tomorrow night for whom is there greater danger tomorrow night, President Trump or Vice President Harris? And who has the most to gain tomorrow night in your opinion? There have been some recent polls which seem to suggest that the bump, the increase in the polls that Vice President Harris enjoyed after a very successful Democratic Convention have now receded, and that maybe that that.
Speaker 3: That wave has has ebbed.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I still think it's going to be a close election. Here are the numbers six, one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty.
Speaker 3: Your point of view and if you really.
Speaker 2: Are an independent undecided, if you're there are a lot of independent photosignes. But if you truly undecided. I would love to talk to you tonight and have you tell me what you hope to see tomorrow night. The only two lines open right now are six one, seven, nine, three one, ten thirty Back with Kevin, Mark and Steve and hopefully you on Night Side. This is a Monday night. I am back after a week's vacation.
Speaker 3: I want to remind.
Speaker 2: You I like to hear from phone callers. I really enjoy hearing from new phone callers and from our traditional night side phone callers. Because you this program is to give you an opportunity to speak to the nation. I was talking this morning with a friend of mine who might be listening now.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's a professor of journalism, used to write for Sports Illustrated. I'll just use his first name in case he's in a car. I know he's driving to Pennsylvania, Professor Brooks. If you're listening, I hope you found ten thirty on your AM dial back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're talking about the big debate tomorrow night. Around this time tomorrow night, they'll be wrapping it up. It'll be interesting whether or not it's a knockout. If you think of it in terms of a boxing event, it's conceivable it could go fifteen rounds and be a split decision.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Kevin up in Lowell. Kevin, your first up this hour at nights. I appreciate your patients.
Speaker 6: Go right ahead, Hey, goodies, and again I just want to touch on a couple of points, and I figured i'd let you respond to what you want first. I think what's gonna happen is and I'm gona end up turning off my TV being very disappointed. I just don't hear these officials talking about what they're gonna do. It's usually a blame game. And another thing that kind of Beho's me is this whole election process is essentially a popularity contest. Who's more believable, who's more likable? I would like to see the whole process change. I'd like to see comprehensive testing, like do you know about the economy, do you know about history? Do you know about foreign relations?
Speaker 7: Like you know?
Speaker 6: Even how they picked their cabinet?
Speaker 3: Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's that's one of the things that I think a debate should should show. In other words, there have been cases where presidential candidates have made mistakes in debates. Gerald Ford debating Jimmy Carter, suggested that the people of Poland, who at that point were behind the Iron Curtain, and gerald Ford knew that he made a comment that he didn't think that people would agree that Russia was controlling their lives, or he made some sort of a comment about that, and that was very harmful. He was a president of the United States. It's almost sometimes the way they phrased the question. Let me ask you this, Kevin, have you decided who you go to vote for? Are you truly at this point undecided?
Speaker 6: I decided who I'm going to vote for. I mean, I feel like I'm targeted as soon as I say Trump. I mean, I didn't vote for Trump. During the Hillary Clinton or Trump election in twenty sixteen, I actually slipt under a desk at Children's Hospital because I had to work late. I would actually voted for Hillary, okay, and then during the Biden and minute the Biden Trump, I voted for Trump because I liked what I saw the best. The most successful time in my life was under Trump. Now. I don't know if you caught the more heally faced Nation interview, but that's kind of just what drove me over the edge, because you know, it's just the lies, the blatant lies that they tell on TV to the people, and they somehow get away with it, you know, for her to sit there and say that Trump, she said, like a few months ago, there was a Biprisonan bill to fix the border crisis and Trump killed it.
Speaker 8: Excuse me.
Speaker 6: Trump hasn't been the president in four years. And that's another thing I'd like to see during the debate instead of like what personalized attacks like oh you didn't do this, be like like for Trump, for example, we could say like, oh, well you say you fix the water or like I ruined that like within hours of you becoming president. Joe Biden reverse the border funded, you know, like concrete like this is what we did. You say this, but we actually did this. I think that would help Trump. I think since the microphone is going to be needed, I think what we're going to see is the Kamala Harris campaign trying to vote him into saying something negative because now he can't just over a talker. So she's going to say something started. So I think that's what we're gonna see. We're going to try to see them provoke a natty response out of him.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this, Kevin, you're an extraordinarily informed voter. You and I mean that seriously. You have proven to me that you know what's going on. I wasn't sure which way you were going. Obviously, I know now probably you're going to vote for Trump. When in terms of what mar Heally said, she apparently would be under consideration to become the Attorney General of the United States.
Speaker 9: Exactly, that Face the Nation interview was a job interview, and she did not answer any of the questions that Nancy Astra not one, you know, and that's what I want to I wanted to know where my tax dollar is going seventy five million dollars.
Speaker 2: You know, well, I saw you tonight that that that talked about the amount of money that that Massachusetts is now spending on people who have come here illegally.
Speaker 6: Come to my state. Will help you the sudden it's filled to act on the border congest, do you know what I mean? I think the American people are waking up and we're realizing that we're just being liked by both parties.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this question if I can amongst your your circle of friends, where are your circle of friends moving?
Speaker 3: Is there? Uh? You know?
Speaker 2: Do you only associate with people who you tend to agree with politically or do you have do you sense that there's movement within your circle of friends in one direction or the other.
Speaker 6: Actually, my circle of friends have just drifted away from politics all together. They feel defeated, They feel like they can't things, and I tell them that's why things don't change. Because people just want to live their life. They want to work their job, have the biggest house they can. They want to have the most amount of friends on Facebook, but they don't want to do the hard work.
Speaker 3: You know, don't tell me you you're extraordinary. Is this your first time calling my show?
Speaker 6: No, I've told you before. Usually I talk with Dan Ray late at night because I worked late night overnight spot. I like to catch you sometimes on my way into work. I'll call again, though.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Of course you are talking to Dan Ray even though it's not the eleven o'clock hour.
Speaker 6: Bradley J. Bradley J. That's why I normally talk to Bradley Jae.
Speaker 2: Okay, well he's no longer on the air, so you won't be able to talk to him about the overnight We're now we're news after midnight. I want you to become a much more regular caller here on my show because you are a well informed caller and you made your case extremely well.
Speaker 3: I thank you so much for your call.
Speaker 6: Well shot again, Thank you, Dan, thank.
Speaker 2: You, Kevin, Dan, Ray, Bradley j whatever, and I kind of all sounds the same. Let me go next to Mark and Dry New Hampshire, Mark next on nights, I go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Gee for a very well informed caller.
Speaker 10: He didn't even know what he was talking to.
Speaker 11: What do you know about that?
Speaker 10: Dan? Jesus?
Speaker 2: I thought he was pretty well informed on the on the issue of of how I got to whatever whatever point he got to go right ahead?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah whatever? So, uh, this is the point I need to make, okay about this debate tomorrow night. What Donald has to do is pound this communist over the head with her.
Speaker 6: What what do you mean? Come on, why do you.
Speaker 7: Have to what do you mean?
Speaker 10: Come on?
Speaker 3: What do you have to have to go?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this mark, Why do you have to go and and start with calling her a communist? She's the devil because.
Speaker 10: She is a communist. She's a marvelist comedy.
Speaker 2: I gotta be honest with you. I'm not letting it in anymore.
Speaker 3: I really am not.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes you just go over the top, and tonight you've gone over the top. I appreciate you calling, but if you start calling people everybody a communist, then other people are gonna call Trump this or whatever. I'm tired of the name calling from all the candidates. To be really honest with you, okay, I think we got to bring some civility back into this conversation, and I don't think you brought much civility in tonight. So I appreciate your call, and we'll hear from you again, I would hope in a most civil fashion. Six one seven, two, five four to ten thirty six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty. Those lines are full. So if you want to get in six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty, gotta take a break at the bottom of the hour. What purpose is served by trying to label somebody a communist. She's not a communist, she's not a communist. You know, it's as simple as that. You want to go see a communist, go to Russia. Okay, go to Russia, uh and you see Poot. You'll see the communist there. You want to see a communist, You want to see a real communist. Go to Venezuela. You see Madero who basically loses an election and now wants to jail his opponent, and the opponent has gone into exile in Spain. This, you know, it's the hyperbole over the top is insane. Right now, back on Nightside after.
Speaker 1: This, You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the phones ago Stephen Bridgewater, Steve, what are you looking for? What do you expect tomorrow night during the debate between President Trump and Vice Fulham President Trump and Vice President Harris.
Speaker 7: All right, Dan, this is my answer. I know when you started off introducing this part of the program, you said you think that Trump has more more to lose than Kamala Harris. I think that's what you're at the beginning. Okay, I don't I got to tell you Dan that in that way, I don't agree. No, I think Kamala Harris is the one that has a lot more to prove because all the Trump voters, they've already decided they're going to vote for Trump. I don't think anybody's questioning him, but her. She still has to make the case. There's a lot of people out there that don't know, even after being vice president for three and a half years, that don't know what she stands for. So I think she's the one with that at the end of the night, it's more important for her to really change people's minds or let people know what she stands for, right.
Speaker 2: And I think that's I think that's let me just say this, I happened, I happen to agree with your observation, But I think, but I think maybe I would rephrase my position. Trump could lose the election if, in my opinion, he were to go after her uh as as a woman, or go after her in any way which was undisciplined. Yes, Okay, I got. The reason I say is I think that I think that Harris. Harris will know what she wants to do and how she wants to do it. Her problem is can she satisfy people who are gonna say, hey.
Speaker 3: How come you believe now this? When a few years ago you said.
Speaker 7: This, yeah, exactly exactly normally that I think Trumpy's got to make the differentiate, the differentiation over ninety minutes of Oak.
Speaker 8: You know what I.
Speaker 7: Did, And now you know what you got over almost the past four years with Biden. Well, guess what you're gonna get with with Harris. He's even more to the left than Biden. And even what's his name, Bernie Sanders, You're gonna get even worse than what you got over the past four years with Biden. Higher grocery prisures, how you.
Speaker 6: Got saloone prices, even more young people not.
Speaker 7: Being able to afford their first homes. That is going to get even more bleak if she becomes president. If she can get that idea across to walk right back into the White House.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know either one of them are going to walk in because I don't think this is going to be a landslide election. I think that we as a country are a sharply divided country. What percentage of people do you think are going to tune in the debate tomorrow night and who could actually change their minds? I suspect that there are very few Trump voters who would ever abandon Donald Trump. I agree with you on that, and I think that that there are very few Harris voters who would abandon Harris. But what percentage do you think of the people who be watching the debate tomorrow or what percentage of the American electorate do you think are truly undecided and haven't figured it out already? I suspect that's a pretty small number.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, but you know it doesn't take many undecided to make the difference. You don't damn what skin me? What I watched last night on thought and it concerns me. There are only three or four a small handful of battles ground states. What Pennsylvania, Georgia and North Carolina?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 7: I think they're going to determine the whole Pitcher. That scares me that those states are going to determine the whole all.
Speaker 2: Come, well, there are seven battleground states, you know, not only Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Georgia, but you have to throw Arizona, Nevada, Yeah, Wisconsin, and Michigan in there because traditionally they have been very close states. Massachusetts is not a battleground state. Oklahoma is not a battleground state. No matter how much the Democrats would love to think that Texas is within reach, that's not a battleground state. You know, a few years ago, Florida was kind of a coin toss. It's not a coin toss anymore.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: No, right now they both probably have pretty secure a couple one hundred electoral votes each. I don't think it's going to be a big you know, Donald Trump won and he had three hundred and six, and I think Joe Biden also ended up with three hundred and six. I think it's going to be closer. It's going to be two eighty five to ninety something like that.
Speaker 7: I wish it would be a blowout for Trump like it was when Reagan ran in nineteen eighty against Carter. I love that Dan effect what happened, But I think, well, the.
Speaker 2: Real blowout for Reagan was when he ran against Mondale, when he carried every state except for Mondale's home state of Minnesota, UH and the district of Columbia.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 7: Dan, he carried Massachusetts two, yes he did.
Speaker 3: Oh my carriage. He carried Massachusetts twice.
Speaker 2: Reagan carried Massachusetts in nineteen eighty and nineteen eighty four. Now in nineteen eighty he had the benefit of John Anderson, a Republican Congressman from Illinois, being on the ballot, so they were probably votes that would have gone to Carter if the Anderson was development. That's little old secret that in that in deep that in deep blue Massachusetts, Ronald Reagan won twice.
Speaker 3: Little know that's true.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve, guys, always I appreciate you. I appreciate you calls it was, It's always fun to talk with you. Appreciate your time.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 7: Likewise, likewise, I got you all right.
Speaker 2: So I got wide open lines now at six one, seven, two, four, ten thirty. But in the meantime, let's go and talk with Sandra in Boston. Hey, Sandra, welcome back. How are you tonight?
Speaker 12: I'm well. I hope you have a good vacation.
Speaker 2: I had a really nice vacation. Did didn't go go anywhere, kind of hung around.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: But the reason that was I was very happy to do that. I have been in Italy with nightside listeners back in early August, and it was nice just to kind of hang around. Found a couple of new restaurants that I liked, and I'm.
Speaker 3: It was it was fun.
Speaker 8: It was fun, So tell us some good weather.
Speaker 3: Great weather, great weather. We're going to great weather for the rest of this week too.
Speaker 2: It was beautiful day to day and they're saying that tomorrow the weather's going to be just as nice. And I was watching the weather forecast tonight. Looks like it's going to be great for the rest of the week. So what's your weather forecast tomorrow? On Trump and Harris, what do you think is going to happen? Stormy or.
Speaker 12: I'm hoping that Trump can convert some people who may think that the other side is environmentally correct. And I actually think that Trump is sort of a hidden environmentalist on some level. And part of that thinking is that one of the worst environmental programs in the world is war, and if we don't start wars, that's a good environmental program. And I think he did well with that. And then he also doesn't like offshore wind, and I do test offshore wind, and I think off the coast of New England, it's a very bad idea because of the electromagnetic pulses that could disrupt the delicate choreography of invertebrates and squid and what eats them, and what we eat. I think it is from the fisheries and.
Speaker 3: Also those those those offshore wind.
Speaker 2: Machines which have had some of their blades fly off into the ocean.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Sure, eating fiberglass, Yeah, exactly a good thing. And we're so identified with fishing in New England and it's it's really one of the most beautiful parts of New England. So I'm hoping he can speak to that when the environmental issues come off, which they will.
Speaker 2: Well. The other thing too is I think there's a growing understanding that nuclear energy is probably the cleanest form of energy that we have.
Speaker 3: I remember they have.
Speaker 12: They have some new small reactors that they're making that are a lot more compatible with, you know, the general philosophies of people in the environmental movement, So that might change. He talks about rebranding the nuclear industry, and I think there's something to that a lot of countries.
Speaker 13: Let me just finish this one comment if I could. You've interrupted me a couple of times. Let me just finish this, okay. I think that nuclear energy has proven to be very successful in a lot of countries around the world. I remember when Three Mile Island occurred in the late nineteen seventies and they were trying to build up.
Speaker 2: They had all sorts of protests and Seberg. I think that many environmentalists have changed their viewpoint nuclear energy, and I think that supports what you're saying. Actually is trying to support what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Go right ahead.
Speaker 12: So I hope there's an intelligent discussion on those issues. And then the second thing that I'm very concerned about, and I think, I guess this is the media what I would call media afterburn. I mean, I have been rather disappointed in the media, not you, but other people in.
Speaker 3: The disappointed with me. That's fine.
Speaker 2: I like sometimes criticism because frankly that you never hesitate to criticize me to my face.
Speaker 3: You go right ahead, dumb problem.
Speaker 2: But I like the fact that you seem not to be wanting to criticize me as well.
Speaker 3: So go ahead.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 12: The biggest problem right now, I think is our foreign policy. It's just horrendous. And when you look at the person who's running it, Anthony Blinkn, the Secretary of State, and you know that he's the person who works I frustrated the letter that the fifty one CIA folks wrote that had such an impact on the last election. You have to ask the question, why hasn't the media called for more examination of his participation as secretary of State? And we know that with Biden not being while being somewhat pognitively challenged, he has probably played a larger role in foreign policy than any secretary of State. Ever, I don't hear anybody questioning that he should be there when he is so ethically challenged.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think he made some interesting points. I enjoyed the conversation. Thank you so Andrew, have.
Speaker 3: A great night.
Speaker 12: Okay, you too, Thanks Dan.
Speaker 3: Rob.
Speaker 2: Make sure that these listeners are able to hear me well, because I just kind of tough. I was trying to, as they say, get a word in edgewise there. Wanted to support some of the things that she said. She's right, Blincoln was one of the individuals who who orchestrated that those fifty one so called CIA and intelligence experts who said that it looked like Russian disinformation talking about the Hunter Biden laptop, et cetera. We now know they were not correct on that. We'll take a break six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty. A couple lines there and one in six one seven nine three one, ten thirty. Come right back on Night Side.
Speaker 1: Now bent to Dan Ray live from the window World, Nice Side Studios. I' WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep going.
Speaker 2: They're going to go to Marty in Saint Augustine, Florida. Love Saint Augustine, Florida, one of the great communities down south. Let me get this thing going here, Rob, pick them up for me. Please, having trouble with my mouse here, Rob, give me Marty from Saint Augustine.
Speaker 3: Please, thank you. Marty, welcome. How are you?
Speaker 2: For some reason it got a little bit difficult problem with my mouse, which never seem to have except occasionally. Go right ahead, Marty, what's your take on tomorrow? What are you looking forward to hearing?
Speaker 8: Okay, first of all, let me say this. Kamala Kamala harris Is.
Speaker 2: I think it's Kamala. I think they pronounce I.
Speaker 8: Don't care, but Kamala whatever it is, she's occupying the position that she wasn't elected. She basically was part of a coup that they took advantage of a senile man. And now she's the heir of parent and she's going to be having a so called debate against the guy who was president or right away. Your previous call was very good. She was on the money, she was very sensible. Okay, just having a.
Speaker 3: Tough time having a conversation with him, Marty. That was all a little frustrated.
Speaker 8: Anyway, So Kamala Harris is going to be she has noca how.
Speaker 2: A butt if we agree on how about if we agree just on vice President Harris because some people think that that pronouncing someone's name incorrectly is almost insulting.
Speaker 3: But whatever you like to do, you know what.
Speaker 8: And those people they got to get the chip off his shoulder, all right, go ahead, okay. Anyway, anyway, she has no accomplishments and no achievements. She's a lawyer. She talked about Okay, let me say this to you. They always referred they like to refer to Donald Trump as a felon. Well, let me tell you something. And I may have mentioned this before. Martha Stewart took a felony wrap for insider trading, which didn't really hurt anybody. It was an unethical or whatever. Now she's back on TV. She's a multi billionaire. I couldn't afford to live next to her. You couldn't afford to live next to her, So they got to stop smearing somebody and saying that he's also well, he.
Speaker 3: Is a felon.
Speaker 2: At this point, he's convicted of I think it's thirty four felonies. I might not agree with the prosecution, Marty, but from a factual point of view, it's like saying somebody is a right or lefty.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know how you get it.
Speaker 2: We might you might disagree with the prosecution, but what did the jury come back with.
Speaker 8: My next door neighbor is a convicted felon.
Speaker 10: He was a.
Speaker 8: Skinhead in California, and I told him, Son, he's about fifty five. You're a felon, You're not a crook. I know a guy in New York who's being mentored by a fellow used to be on my job together.
Speaker 2: Is Hunter Biden a convicted felon?
Speaker 3: Marty?
Speaker 8: Is he a convicted felon? He's convicted, but he's also into dope. And I don't remember Donald Trump. Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're just Marty. We're going off the rails here. Please, I'm being patient with you.
Speaker 8: Listen, let me just finish. I'm going to watch tomorrow because I'm not into football politics is my football. I want to see what tricks she can pull out.
Speaker 7: Of the top pack.
Speaker 3: And well, we'll see. We'll see how.
Speaker 8: She's going to best and maybe she might not even show up. Whatever.
Speaker 2: I take it to the bank, Marty, She's going to be there, Okay, trust.
Speaker 8: Me, Okay, all right, Well let's see what happens.
Speaker 2: And there were people who are a week ago in this or not a week ago, people who are a couple of weeks ago were trying to convince me that Donald Trump wouldn't show up. They were wrong too. They will both be there. Take that one today.
Speaker 8: She's not gonna show up. I said, it's a possibility because she has nothing to go by basically except name calling. She has no achievements, Steve, has no accomplishment, She hasn't pushed forward any any legislation as a vice president. So what can she say? She what can she hang her hat on?
Speaker 3: Well we'll find out tomorrow. Night, Marty.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the call as always, Thank you much, appreciate you have a good night.
Speaker 3: You two, Good night. Rob again. You gotta take that down. Let me go to Laurie in Idaho. Laurie, thank you for calling. How are you tonight.
Speaker 2: Look at a tough crowd. I thought they'd give me a break.
Speaker 3: I'm just back crowds.
Speaker 11: They're all chomping. It's a bit it's been two long so anyway, welcome back. And I you know, I don't. I didn't have a ton of expectations about this thing coming up. I don't. I mean, first of all, the both of them keyed off crowds, so having no audience and a couple of moderators. And if he speaks you know, policy, great, if she speaks policy, I don't know what I believe. So he can control himself and not do any you know, borish stuff. I think he'll do okay. But I think it's not gonna I don't think it's gonna bump anything one or the other hugely. I don't. But John Keller earlier had a really good point about are they gonna look at they come in with some pre prepared line or something to create a buzzy you know, SoundBite that they can use and you know as and whatever for the rest of the campaign. That's that I think was a very intelligent thought.
Speaker 2: So they might do. I mean, you know, remember when when when Trump uh when former president Trump debated President Biden, and Biden gave that kind of long, nonsensical answer.
Speaker 3: And Trump that wasn't planned.
Speaker 2: He said, I don't know what he's talking about, right, he does either. Uh. That was a moment in time that was spontaneous.
Speaker 8: It was so you could.
Speaker 3: Try to anticipate that. One of the things that.
Speaker 2: Vice President Harris did successfully when she debated Mike Pence. Pence at one point went to interrupt her, which can sometimes happen, and she turned on the Vice president and said, I'm speaking, I'm speaking. She became very sort of like a school school marm.
Speaker 11: Remember that.
Speaker 2: I think that as a female candidate, she had that ability and and Pence didn't know how to handle it.
Speaker 7: And he could have him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did wave a figure at him.
Speaker 2: Right now, she had a finger waved at her by Telsey Gabbard.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 2: So she was on the receiving end of a finger wave as well.
Speaker 3: So we'll have to see.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be I think it's gonna be interesting. And the thing that makes it most interesting it might be the only debate of this.
Speaker 3: Of this presidential election.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, if Donald Trump or a vice president Harris it had us, we're very successful. Let's assume that one of them had a great knight and the other had a bad night. Why would the one who has a great knife want to have a rematch?
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's true. Well, and the other thing is will they talk about Paulicy? Will they actually talk about anything? Or is it going to be a series of them trying to get soundbites in trying to I mean, I like David meh Or I don't know about I don't I don't know, not familiar.
Speaker 7: With the other one.
Speaker 11: But I just have a feeling it's gonna be kind of a vanilla thing unless you know Trump Trump's and she does her own thing and it makes something amusing that can be remembered.
Speaker 2: I don't know it's gonna I think it's going to exceed our expect expectations.
Speaker 3: In some way. Uh.
Speaker 2: And the reason is I think that this is not President Obama and Mitt Romney in Denver, when Mitt Romney had a really great first debate and the President Trump was tired and didn't do a good job. He had a chance to come back and set the record straight, and he had a good second.
Speaker 3: And third debate.
Speaker 11: He did, but he was sick. I think the first one too. So yeah, I don't know, I just I don't know. I just well, so was that debate in front of an audience?
Speaker 2: Though, yes, talk about.
Speaker 11: I think a lot of audiences kind of makes things flat.
Speaker 2: But well it was, but it worked for Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: It worked for Donald Trump because.
Speaker 2: He played to that audience and he was interrupting Joe Biden and and there were a lot of people who didn't like it. Yeah, well, I think everybody agrees that that they've made surprisingly showed that the fact that Mike's were muted helped.
Speaker 3: From the President Trump.
Speaker 11: Oh absolutely, because he couldn't. He couldn't do his usual stuff and then get the crowd riled up and then be more of a jerk. He is better on his feet and speaking off the cuffs though. I mean, I feel like she needs notes no matter what she does, So that could be interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she's been.
Speaker 11: Doing an awful lot of prepping and studying.
Speaker 2: So if he, I mean, if if he just knows the five issues that she has gone one hundred and eighty degrees on fracking, support for police. You know, she was a big supporter of the Minnesota Bail Fund after people turned down the city in Minnesota, the Wall. She got grief from Aaron Brunette on CNN, which I have some sound I might play next hour. And of course she has to take responsibility for the problems of the of the Biden administration, inflation as well as the withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: He there's a lot to work with if he's disciplined.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well hopefully he will be.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see, Laury. I'm up on my brakes, so I'm gonta let you run. But you're the my favorite call of the night, as.
Speaker 1: You often are.
Speaker 7: I have a great run. Good night, a great night.
Speaker 2: Good night to those are you know on the line. We're going to get to you right after the news, I promise. And if you're not in the line, I have one line at six one seven, two five, four, ten thirty and I got a couple at six one seven, nine thirty, and I am just trying to have a conversation tonight. Get your sense as to what you expect, what what might be a surprise you, you know politics. Feel free to join the conversation, and I'd like to make it a conversation back after this