Speaker 1: Well whiskey, come and take my pain, the moneys my ry. Why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's three whiskey happy Hour. Join your bartenders, Steve Hayward, John You, and the international woman of mystery, Lucretia. Where the lapped it up? It live? It ain't you easy on the should tap? Gotta give me from Tokyo three whiskey son, I am sitting here in Tokyo. Where are you guys? John? Are you in Philadelphia? I think.
Speaker 2: All I know is wherever the other Japanese are, whose eyes are rolling and stomach's turning at you calling a three whiskey sogn My gosh, doesn't that mean you're gonna for your sins? You're gonna have to do ten land acknowledgements right.
Speaker 1: Pardon my cough. I'm still finding off the after effects of a nasty bronchitis I seem to have brought back from Italy. But Lucretia, where are you hiding? You're hiding at home?
Speaker 3: I'm home. I'm home.
Speaker 4: And by the way, it's really hot here, hotter than way, harder than usual, almost one hundred degrees in my little mountain town.
Speaker 1: And that is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am drinking apperall sprits my son.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, but it's almost gone because you guys took so long. So what am I going to do when it runs out?
Speaker 3: I guess I have to get whiskey from the bar behind me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I have to confess that I thought during several days over here, I would thoroughly investigate Japanese whiskeyes, especially from sun Tory. What's that line of Bill Murray and lost in translation? Is let it be a sun Tory day. I've been trying to live right. Oh yeah, it's a I feel like I'm living a reenact. Did you ever see that movie? It's thirty years old. It's a great It is a great.
Speaker 3: Really, I had a hard time with it. I was a little bored by it.
Speaker 1: Well, it doesn't have a plot.
Speaker 2: It's one of those in Japan. It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly, that makes total sense to me. Now I'll have to say we did venture out here yesterday to the Shoebaya crossing. You know, that's the thing you always seen all the movies. Boy, that place is that area? Is that neighborhood is insane? I mean, it makes Hong Kong look orderly and Scandinavian by comparison, I think.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Well, now, Steve, Mike, but you ought to. I expect to see you learning their cultural norms, like eating chicken pieces under railroad tracks and then getting totally trashed and falling asleep on the sidewalk like any Japanese ballary men.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't make me laugh, John, because I still got this cough bugging me. H. But all right, let's get to it, John, You have some explaining to do. I think I saw the headline of this huge heist of whiskey in broad daylight in Philadelphia, and I'm pretty sure it was a day you were there. Can you account for your whereabout's last Friday when the whiskey hest went down?
Speaker 2: Whiskey ice? What in Philadelphia we just call that enterprise? Probably whiskey heist? What are you talking about? So first I looked this up, so U yeah, five hundred thousand dollars of bourbon stolen. What did these people do? They showed up in a delivery truck and they said, we're here to pick up the whiskey, and the people in the place gave it to them, and they drove off that really, that's not even stealing, that's just called education. I mean, what are we talking about? And then I looked up where this is in Philadelphia and any idiot who would store half a million dollars of bourbon in that neighborhood that is one of the most more dangerous neighborhoods in the city of Philadelphia. What were they thinking? I mean, they were they this was this is a learning experience for this company. And I'm sure now that they're going to transfer their whiskey to Fort Chuoka, Arizona for safekeeping other places, you know, other safe places like the central coast of California, to keep their whiskey safe.
Speaker 4: Well, the last two commanding generals up for what Chuka have both been big, big, big bourbon affiction audos. And my one friend who's now retiring, former G two of the Army has pardon me, Steve's making me cough, has something on the order of two hundred and fifty six bottles of bourbon.
Speaker 3: He just collects them off. And so the other guy just as more of a bourbon and cigar kind of enjoy it sort of guy.
Speaker 4: But so, yes, they could you could bring it here, they would take very good care of it because all of my other friends two hundred and fifty six some bottles are all really good stuff because people know he collects him and so they give him really good bottles. So yeah, it's probably his. His two hundred fifty six bottles are probably worth more than five hundred thousand, so yeah, I probably should. Well, he's not at Fort Wachuk anymore, but it was so right, OK, we can bring it, or we could take it to Fort Knox since there's no gold there.
Speaker 1: We're back to that lucretia. I think you were started to say. Let me put it this way that the people who stole the whiskey, unlike William Marbury, they had their paperwork.
Speaker 3: They had paperwork. There was something missing.
Speaker 1: I forget what it was.
Speaker 4: I got the joke, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, a fake They had a fake invoice. Something was missing, something electronic was missing. But since they had the invoice, they just let them take it. And it was basically a cybercrime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So a cybercrime with a truck to go with it.
Speaker 1: Pretty neat. Well all right, well, let's then let's move on one more level of seriousness, but not completely to the story in the Wall Street Journal. I think I sent you guys that says suddenly the Supreme Court is investigating the drinking habits of the founders. And I meant to look up. But maybe you remember this genre or lucretia, both of you. There's that great inventory of how much whiskey and George Washington passed out to election workers in the election of seventeen ninety six or something.
Speaker 3: And it was a britt John Marshall when he ran for Congress, was that it well, no, no, no, no, it happens. Yeah, same thing. And in the book you don't like, or by the author you don't like, you know, Jean Edwards, Jean Edward Smith, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He talks about how they all sat at a table and as people came up, you know, if they look like they were going to be for this candidate, they came over and had bourbon from them. And yeah, it seemed like a great way to hold an election if you ask me. At least you knew that when people were voting, they were legitimately voting and they were supposed to be there.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, this as an under marker of how much American democracy has declined because about twenty thirty years back, there was a big scandal in California when Republicans got caught giving out donuts to people who turned up to vote. So it used to give out your pints of rum and whiskey. And now you're in trouble if you give out donuts.
Speaker 4: Why did they not mind when they gave out donuts and people came to get their COVID shots?
Speaker 1: Well, right, So, but the serious point of the article, And I don't know, John, if you're follower, you probably are at some level. I guess the vices of the Founders, especially their consumption habits of alcohol, have a bearing on a current case about gun rights. Right, And does the Second Amendment protect the right of someone to have firearm against statutes and ordinances that have been passed that try to ban gun possession by people who have either a drug problem or a history of alcohol abuse something like that. I don't know. I'll just say, well, first of all, what's coming on the law of it. I'll just pass on a quick story. I used to go out into the high desert in California with a bunch of my college friends for shooting parties. And you know, we had you know pistol shooting, we do skeet shooting. And a friend of mine had this old shack up in the mountains, and well, we had a rule, and the rule was the moment the first beer has opened, the guns are put away for the rest of the night.
Speaker 3: We please.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you probably didn't even take your cigars out there either. You didn't invite the atf and all you did was shoot with no alcohol.
Speaker 1: Well, look, a bunch of college guys, I think that was probably a sensible rule, because yeahuse as it was. Anyway, if you've known some of these guys, I think you would approve the rule anyway, John, are you following this and what do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's it's part of this new test that the Court created about restrictions on the Second Amendment, which is you have to find, see Steve would do so well at the court, you have to find a historical analogy to the regulation of this challenge today. So the case is about whether the federal government can take away your right to have a gun if you have committed a drug crime. And so the defender of this guy says, well, having a gun now and having used drugs is kind of like the way there were founders who drank a lot and had guns, and so you couldn't be prohibited from having guns just because you drank a lot. And that's kind of their version of drug use back two hundred and almost fifty years ago. Now, so that's the argument I got to see. I gotta say, I suspect this court is not going to be persuaded by that.
Speaker 4: I think they're the arguments done to begin with, not the plaintiffs or whoever, the argument the defense. This is the one time I've disagreed with Clarence Thomas. I think that this historical basis for the Second Amendment is the dumbest argument ever, because, of course the basis for the for the Second Amendment, if you want to talk about the history, it's that the colonists had weapons and could fight against the damn British. So why do we need to have the Second Amendment to guarantee that the people have weapons so that they can fight against the tyrannical government should our government become tyrannical. That's the purpose of the Second Amendment. It's and and so so everything should be viewed through that lens, not through this Oh, what did they do in history, And did they let guys that beat up their wives have guns in history?
Speaker 3: That's dumb. I'm sorry, I get why they do it.
Speaker 2: I understand. What would the test be then, So if.
Speaker 4: Somebody's a former drug addict, don't they have a right to uh revolt against their government if it becomes tyrannical? Or do you give that right up? Once you've smoked a joint or something. Isn't in fact a natural right belonging to you as a human being.
Speaker 2: So you could be any kind of felon and still have the right to have a gun after Like you could be a murderer who's released on after you serve your sentence. But you would say they still have a right to have a gun. Well, they could probably tyrannical central government.
Speaker 3: No, that's too easy, So I put them to death.
Speaker 1: Problem solved, Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: Right, is the rule that all felonies were subject to the death penalty, which was the eighteenth century rule?
Speaker 3: Than you had a lot of fewer felonies then, right, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I mean, we only had what was it, John, We only had something like flies. Yeah, yeah, we only had like fifteen federal criminal statutes in the seventeen nineties. I mean they were a long time yeah, yeah, right right, Well, I have to say the article does the Wall Street Journal oracle does give a more reasons to admire the Founders. It quotes Justice gorsic Uh in a recent interview saying John Adams took a tankard of hard cider with his breakfast every day. James Madison reportedly drank a pint of whiskey every day. Thomas Jefferson said he wasn't much of a user of alcohol. He only had three or four glasses of wine a night. So more reasons to admire the founders and against them.
Speaker 3: But they all live to be old. Tell us crap about alcohol is bad for you? Who believes that nonsense? I mean, honestly, they all live to be old. I don't know if there are the ones.
Speaker 2: Who the ones who we know were old, But what about all the other ones who died young? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Expectancy back then was probably like eighteen, Like yeah, it was probably like thirty five or something.
Speaker 3: Which is fine.
Speaker 4: But it just proves that if you drink enough alcohol, you'll and you're a man, you'll outlive the life.
Speaker 3: Expectancy for males in the eighteen hundred.
Speaker 1: So well, now I'm going to throw a big sweeping curve at Lucretia. I had mentioned that the Wall Street Critical article says that the of the justices most skeptical of historical analogies is Chief Justice Roberts, your favorite justice.
Speaker 4: But unfortunately for him, I don't think it's because he thinks we should adopt the natural law view of understanding and interpreting the Constitution. It's because I do think, and he's probably right about this, that he thinks it's just a little bit too easy to manipulate what the history is, because like Steve, you can find any historical analogy for anything, however inept it might be.
Speaker 3: And so I'm sure that that's Robert's approach to the whole thing.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is that the history and tradition tests or historical analogy tests, actually much more generous to the right to bear arms than what Roberts would do or any of the modern tests. And I don't think you could have a unlimited natural right approach to the Second Amendment, because what do you do with Can you have guns and government locations? Can you have guns if you've been convicted all these things we don't know. I mean, but if you use the test that the court uses in other areas, you would actually have much more reduced gun right. And you know the court's current approach.
Speaker 1: Well, right, And I you know, we used to have the old Western saloons that said you have to leave your guns outside or check them in, right, I mean that I don't think we was out of.
Speaker 2: Well that's private property. You're allowed to do that. You're okay, private property owner. You don't have to let anybody onto your property with a gun if you don't want right, right.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, the problem is, let me just let one last comment on this, and that is that you've got a couple of different things going on there, and one of them is is that I acknowledge that the Supreme Court cannot make too much of the right to revolution and its relationship to the Second Amendment. They are, in fact, you know, the bulwark of constitutionalism and the fault.
Speaker 3: You know, as the Constitution is the foundation of our government.
Speaker 4: And so I understand why even someone like Clarence Thomas, who I think I think fully understands the full purpose of the Second Amendment and it's the fact that it is in fact the the the instrumentation of the right to revolution. You got to be careful saying that out loud in a Supreme Court case, and that that creates a single a first a first problem.
Speaker 3: And then of course you.
Speaker 4: Can't have zero absolutely in this day and age with the complete lack of education. You know, just think about those those roaming bands of teenagers, you know, just going in and destroying places and and and they're they're animals.
Speaker 3: They're just sort of subhuman.
Speaker 4: They haven't been taught anything, they haven't been educated, they have no morals, they have no ethics, they don't know how to behave You can't really talk about Oh yeah, they have a right to have a gun too. I mean, that's so there are prudential considerations here.
Speaker 1: You know, boy, that's uh at. I'm going to take a great risk here, John and say, that's as close to Burkinism as I've ever heard Lucretia express yourself.
Speaker 2: In Japan. And Lucretia can't get at them stuff like this right now.
Speaker 1: She probably has agents everywhere. All right, We're gonna take a quick ad break and we'll be right back with more after this. Hey everybody, it's Steve. I have a new podcast to recommend to you. It's called The Future of Freedom Podcasts. You know, politics today feels like one endless shouting match, but the Future of Freedom podcast is different. Each episode takes a major issue facing America and it brings together two thoughtful voices from the right who see it differently. One might be more libertarian, the other more conservative. But here's what sets it apart. It's not a debate. There are no interruptions, no viral gotchas, no trying to score points. For that, you have to stick with us at the Three Whiskey Appy Hour. But on the Future of Freedom Podcasts, each guest gets the space to explain their position and then you decide what makes the most sense. Hosted by Scott Bertram of Hillsdale College, who's an old friend. In fact, I've been a guest on his Hillsdale show a couple of times. He's a great host and a great interviewer. So if you're looking for more thought and less noise, check out The Future Freedom Podcast. Wherever you get your podcast, it's on Apple, iTunes and all the usual places. And now back to the Three Whiskey happy hour now, John, topic number two, You are practicing grand strategy without a license once again with your article on the Thucidities trap China. No oh no, it is a good article, except well, we want to walk through this because first of all, yeah, I know you're teaching grand strategy again, some aren't you, I think here and there? John, Yeah, so okay, it's not quite without a license. But first of all, tell listeners who may not heard of this, what is the Thucidities tap and what's the context where it comes up here in the last two three weeks.
Speaker 2: First of all, if your cities didn't call it a trap himself, as in something you know modern American scholars had made up. But the basic argument is that the Thucydides trap is when a powerful country, let's call it the Hedgemond, detects a rising, younger power that's going to, if thinks, challenge it for supremacy, so it launches a preventative attack early rather than let the rising power eventually grow and displace it. So the argument here, the reason why it's called the Thucidies trap. If you studied the Peloponnesian War Sparta is according to Thucydides, the powerful country Athens is the rising, commercial, rapacious democracy and Sparta essentially, according to Thucydides, which and there's an interesting debate about whether the facts that Thucidities reports actually support his thesis. But Thucidity's thesis is that Sparta is responsible for the pelop Pnesian War because they were afraid of the rise of Athens, and so they launched a preventative war and destroyed the whole really destroyed the world of Greek city states and eventually laid the whole thing opened to Philip of Macedon and Alexander the Great to come in and invade and really wipe out the independence of all the little city states eventually. So it really a destructive war between the two great superpowers of the time, Athens and Sparta. So apparently, when Trump showed up for the summit in China, Gnijianping says, you know, we don't want to get into a facinity's trap here, mister President over Taiwan and making the illusion, the claim that the United States is Sparta and China is Athens. And so a piece that I posted, I sort of I argue that the city's trap itself doesn't necessarily exist at the time of the Greek city states. But if anybody is Athens, it's the United States now. And if anybody resembles you know, this regimented right freedomless, you know, society built on slave labor, it's China is the Sparta of today. And so to me, I was like, the analogy doesn't work, but it has the best line I think I've written in a long time, which is, but where are the Chinese bearing gifts? Greek gifts? Right?
Speaker 3: My favorite line, No, no, no, no, my love.
Speaker 4: My favorite line was the fucinities trap may not be about preventive war, but about great powers defending, defeating themselves by drawing the wrong analogies all past, because that not only gets those koity toity whoever they were on I've heard of them people. You are so impressed with uh making these silly arguments, But it also is a little bit of knife into Steve as well.
Speaker 1: I mean that how did I walk into this?
Speaker 2: But also you, guys Strouss, you love writing about this period of history, right, you love writing about the Greek city states and Athens and Sparta and so so Crates and Aristotle, Right, you guys actually think there's a lot to.
Speaker 3: Be learned from this wind, don't you dude?
Speaker 2: What what? Oh?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, I'm missing something there, dust Win.
Speaker 4: Dude, when when Ted meets up with Socrates and Bill and Ted's excellent adventure and so creates That's right.
Speaker 1: That was my first Ted talk. That's I always call it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's first of all, let's start on the op Well, I'm going to do the strous and analysis, John, let's start on the surface here with the optics of the whole thing. First of all, she made those comments and put a public session open for the press, right, So this was the speech not just Trump, but to the whole world. And my first thought was, it's hard to envision Trump huddled over his thucidities were in his life, right, I mean, you know we're used to Trump, so, you know at a Liberty University back in twenty sixteen where he talks about like that passage in two Corinthians, like, you know, two Corinthians walk into a bar. Was that right?
Speaker 2: Or you know at the time he said about Frederick Douglas, didn't he say I I Corinthians.
Speaker 1: No, I think he said to Corinthians you know, it's that passage.
Speaker 3: And the funny thing is I have heard people, oh I know that way right.
Speaker 1: But then but then the other one was the time he talked about Frederick Douglas in the present tense. Right now. Look, this is a small thing, but it was still kind of amusing talking about Frederick Douglas. Good to see him getting the recognition he deserves, you know. It was and he's doing a great job. That's sort of the typical you know Trump for he was, what a.
Speaker 2: Great Jobiden, right looking around for the dead Congress wan.
Speaker 1: A little bit of that. No, it's not that bad. But anyway, the point is is, I thought, uh, who's g's audience there? I thought that was, you know, beyond simply what do you say, just trying to make chit chat. I thought, I don't know, I know, he's messing with Trump's hands and messing with our hands.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's exactly right. It's actually a bit of propaganda. I mean, I think he's not saying this for the consumption of the Chinese domestic audience, who also probably don't know who the city is is, although maybe there might be more of them who know who he is than Americans these days. But he's right, he's sending a message to American elites and European elites, Yeah, trying to lose faith in our trying to get to lose confidence in ourselves.
Speaker 1: Well, that could be right. I mean, I do think that, you know, there are stories that that leak out now, in that leak out that there is a lot of interest in Chinese universities in Tokville, probably the classical Greeks as well, and also Strauss. There's a whole little body of Strauss's students in China. Now I don't know how widespread this is. Well, I did hear a Chinese scholar at the APSA three or four years ago give a presentation on Strauss that was just unbelievably bad. I mean it was just so completely wrong. You had to be trying to be that wrong. So I'm not quite sure what's going on there entirely. But all right, let's say.
Speaker 3: They read it and they read air t Me, they read Plato and didn't get the joke.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's well they or they read the they read people like Sho on how to understand Strauss that it's totally wrong, all right, But never mind that the second point is part of your a lot of many of the points of your article, John and just said it, but say more about it is that we really don't understand the causes of warfare. I mean, you know, this this model that we derive supposedly from ucidities. And by the way, I've talked to Victor Davis, Hanson's handsOn about it, and he has the same view that you do, which is, yeah, they got the facts here out of proportion, but yeah, causes of wars. It's amazing. And all this time we still haven't really settled into a cause of conflict that can be generally.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, what do the Straussians think cause war? So there's a great Berkeley political scientist who I think was thought to be the great international relations guy, was dating Ken Waltz and he said he broke it all. I thought, you know, he I felt quite Coopelly said, there's three basic explanations. There's one that blames human nature that just man is warlike and so it's because of human beings. And they said and then the name of the book was Man the State of War. And then they said the second type of explanations is the state. It's city states or nation states, but it's the organization of domestic government that causes war. And then he said, now it's his view is the third explanation, it's the system and the state of nature internationally is why we have war. But he said, all the theories kind of break down those three parts. What do the Straussians think. I've never really talked with you guys about this.
Speaker 4: Definitely number one to begin with, no doubt about that, definitely number one. And that the lack of education to virtue either at the individual, state level or you know, I mean, think about it in a modern terms. Democracies don't go to war with each other. We're told it's mostly true.
Speaker 2: I know that the their exceptionelve right.
Speaker 3: But why because of a commitment to a certain kind of what would you call it? Commitment to human I hate to use this term. I'm looking for another one, but I'll say it.
Speaker 4: Human rights, but not as like the human rights people understand it the way Straussians would understand it. Human rights coming from natural rights, the dignity of every human being. You don't consider huge populations of people just expendable for your purposes, much like Hitler did, for instance, in the Second World War. And so that's the explanation for why democracies or republican democratic governments don't necessarily rush to war with each other to solve their problems. They have other ways to do so. But I do think it's number one is the answer. Number one is the answer. The two the other two that you mentioned are are not immaterial, but they're secondary. They're secondary to number one.
Speaker 1: Well, the third one about you know, would just say a third one state of nature, right, international state of nature, right, competition for resources, uh, you know, worries about threats.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So Strauss did actually write a long chapter on through cydidies in the city, and man, it's the only thing that I know they ever wrote about it. I think you may have taught a class on it. But and one thing is, you know, the word state that we're so familiar with, that's really a modern term. And every and every time I see a translation of Aristotle's politics that uses state in place of poll us, I get mad because it does not mean the way you know, the German Reich, you know, of modern times, and if you think about it in scientific terms, we often talk about steady state, right, you know, the steady state of a stable component or a physical system. Strauss points out something that you know, a detailed I missed reading through Cidities, which is he describes early on and throughout the book as all these the city states we'd call them now, of the ancient world, none of them are stable. They're always in motion, as wars are just simply an extreme example of the motion of human societies. I think it's very interesting stuff. But then the other thing I noticed that I had never thought about before is he goes on and unlike say the theory of Graham Allison on the Lucidity's trap, he makes the case for Sparta why Sparta was right to think the way they did. And then the next section is the case for Athens. And the light bulb bled off in my head because I remembered that, you know, jeff is famous book on the Lincoln Douglas the basis the case for Douglas, then the case for Lincoln. You will never see the case for Stephen Douglas stated better than Jeff's account of it and Crisis of the House Divided, which surprises a lot of people to hear that who have not read the book. So anyway, I think Strauss, at least in that chapter, does not himself, I think, suggest a fundamental cause or reductive accounts of why wars happen. But I think the suggestion there is states are always in motion, and that means there's always going to be conflicts, and many times those conflicts will erupt into wars. So you know, look at us in Iran right now, which maybe we'll come back to in a second.
Speaker 4: But what else John's mentioned of the second The second thing, I think probably is what you're getting at a little bit probably deserves just a little bit of explication here. The idea that because the police is in motion and there are always tensions domestically within the police, you often see war or empire building, or you know, just outward looking sort of violence as an antidote to the conflict that goes on in domestic politics, and as a way to refocus the warring factions and domestic politics onto something outside of the police, the regime, the city, state, the state, whatever.
Speaker 3: You want to call it.
Speaker 4: That's you know, the pat explanation for what happens to Rome, because Rome couldn't handle the plebeians and the patricians or they you know, the rich versus the poor, to oversimplify it, and so the way that they often handled it was by foreign conquest. Again goes back to human nature. Those things that John mentioned number two and three are secondary or derivative from that first thing.
Speaker 3: That's what I would say is the Josian.
Speaker 1: You the other thing I wondered about, going back to the optics of it for a moment, John Is you mentioned your article. A lot of people were saying twenty years ago that our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were like the expedition to Syracuse and Sicily that went so badly for the Greeks, which.
Speaker 2: Went so great for the three whiskey Happy Hour. Our invasion of Sicily was a great success.
Speaker 1: Of course, it was left with.
Speaker 2: Much booty and power and gold. Right, but of course, or at least overweight, a little bit more weight. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But one of the aspects of the Sicilians misadventure was the role of alcibieties, right. I mean, he was a dubious The point is I was trying to I was wondering if g was so clever as to be trying to suggest in the subtle way that Trump is our alcibieties with his uh invasion of I don't know, or is attack on Iraq, I don't know. I think that would be way too recondite evens.
Speaker 2: Originally what most people most people stretched there, well that's my job, but there's this no, but this is there's this theory that strategists have that they've constantly tried to say the United States is like Athens and that we're grasping and commercial and since we're democratic, we give our given to crazes and Feds, and that it's Athens that's prone for democracies are prone to exuberant, irrational exuberance and over extension. And so they almost say, you know, you're just like Athens had Sicily we had. But then they keep making these arguments that turn out through wrong and they say, oh, well Vietnam is our rights to an extradition, then Afghanistan and Iraq are Sicilian expedition. Yeah, we still remained the hegemonic power after these incidents, so you know what, America has had an amazing ability to recover. Yeah, and one thing about yeah, all the city states do change of politics of time change, but the one city state that didn't change was Sparta, right, they they and also but they left no monuments, no writings. I think if you go to Sparta now, there's nothing to see because all they built was this little militaristic society. But when I talk to strategists, they always American ones in particular, they always sympathize with Sparta. They think Sparta did the best. They prefer Sparta to Athens, which I think is crazy. There's no philosophers in Sparta. They would all be put out to die Drousians in Sparta, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Don't it may ge me cough again, let's get out with this. Maybe it doesn't really connect. But and I'm avoid of bringing this up before, but what do we make of what's going on with the whole wrong situation? I mean, as we're speaking here, the latest oscillation of the things is that Trump says we got a deal, we don't need to attack them. The stock market boomed here today or yesterday. And I mean I only have a couple of very limited thoughts because I've been reserving judgment about things. But where do you think it stands, Lucretia.
Speaker 4: Do you have a you know, me done not the expert here? It sounds like a little bit more, a little bit more time to be a little more optimistic, cautiously optimistic, that this really is a deal, that his threats of just destroying any.
Speaker 3: Possibility that the regime could continue.
Speaker 4: Have taken hold, and that he's supposedly actually reached the people who can truly negotiate inside the IRGC. I hope it's true. I certainly hope it's true. The idea that he wanted to back off from invading the island and taking all that over, which would have been terrible cost probably for us in terms of, you know, the ground game and the casualties that would come from that. That you know, that supposedly weighed heavily on his mind, but he was prepared to do it if necessary, and then letting them know that, hey, I'm going to do this and you're going to end up like Venezuela. You're not going to have control over your oil. The United States will, or you can come to the negotiating gables. Supposedly that's what brought them there.
Speaker 3: But again I'm going to defer to you guys. This is not my area of expertise.
Speaker 4: I'm just being I'm praying and being cautiously optimistic because I for a variety of reasons, for the sake of the the Iranian people, for the sake of i'll be honest, for pure partisan hackery.
Speaker 3: I want to see this war over with. I want to see the economy bounce back.
Speaker 4: I want to see Trump to be able to say, no, I wasn't gonna fight it forever war, a choice for a forever war, and all the stupid things that people are saying about that. And you know, there's time for the economy to turn around if the war's truly truly over, for oil prices to drop significantly, and I think it would all be a good thing.
Speaker 3: So again, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it.
Speaker 1: Apparently threats to actually take over Carg Island. I'm not sure be militarily difficult, but it might destroy the place. And I think I heard from the beginning that we wanted to preserve Carg Island so that a new Iran would have an economy. And so now I don't know if it's going to happen or not. He's I've heard a couple of analogies that trum Trump is proving to be a better rug merchant than the Iranians are. I don't know about that he's getting. He's getting terrible press about all this, including from a lot of conservatives who support him. Otherwise. The one thing, well, right, of course, But the one thing I've been watching is the runnings have a timeline. But we have one too. Some oil people I follow closely really follow a daily basis. We've been drawing down the strategic petroleum reserve, you know, seven eight million barrels a week.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: International oil storage is estimated to run out about the end of July early August, and that's when you'd start to see some serious economic problems right now. I mean you mentioned inflation. The inflation number this week was bad, except as almost all energy prices, which at the food and everything else were flat, which means under prices, well, it'll transfer into that given enough time. Right. That's something I teach my energy policy classes. Only half your energy consumption is direct, the rest is indirect. That can of Campbell's soup do the energy footprint. It's an exercise I have students due to understand this. Anyway, John, do you where you settle out on the matter right now?
Speaker 2: If the problem is that this is like the third or fourth time present and Trump has announced where about a day or two away from an agreement. And it's not because President Trump doesn't want to reach an agreement. It's clearly because the Iranians can't be trusted to keep any word that they give. And I think the problem is that American Negotia has reached some kind of deal with whoever is representing the Iranian government, but the people who really in control the Rerignan government are the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, and they then turn around and violate whatever the agreement there is. So here's the problem is that you could reach an agreement with Iran, and how do we know they're not going to start cheating right away, because that's what they've been doing already these last two months. So I don't know how Trump overcomes that problem. It might be that we reach in the end something like what happened with Iraq after the ninety one war, where we don't really reach a hey steal, we just have like a cease fire or an armistice where we just patrol. You know, we have a no fly We had a no fly zone over parts of Rock and we would periodically bomb Iraq when we thought they were up to no good, But there was never any kind of settled piece. Another reason that might not work is because you need to stop the attacks on the straight of hormus, and so it would have to be something more than just a cessation of hostilities.
Speaker 4: And you don't think that, Sorry, sir, I was just gonna ask you don't think that there are any signs that this that this negotiation might produce a better outcome than those previous ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing I don't see is why would the Iranians say, oh, this time, we really do mean it?
Speaker 4: But he would be my argument to you, but not so much my argument, But what I would say to get your feedback, and that is that Trump's promise this time to take out just about every capability they might have had to do any kind of offensive sort of attacks on anyone. His promise was, you know, forgive me, but we're gonna we're gonna bum the you know what out of them, and and showed it the last two nights and was prepared to do so again tonight whether the day were recording this. Maybe, I mean, at some point a bully does back down if you're tough enough.
Speaker 3: Is that a possible outcome? Of this in your mind or just.
Speaker 2: No, oh no. I think you're right that at some point you could lay sufficient waste to Iran that they would say, okay, we give up. But the destruction of the last few days has not been all that much. I wouldn't have seen. I don't know why this level of attack would suddenly produce conciliation on the place.
Speaker 3: Wasn't it the promise of what he was going to do?
Speaker 1: We got to wind up? I just last comment here. We don't know what information Trump has about what's going on inside Iran, who the competing factions and so forth. But one thing signaled to me is that the world markets are taking us all with great equanimity. I mean about the market swings up and down, but an awful lot of that is just the oil price question. And it's also right now there's a lot of market volatility because of the whole AI and chip trade. But the markets overall are taking us all with a great equanimity. They're not showing the great concern that this is a long term problem. And that's it's significant to me. And you know, you would think of the markets were worried about it, they wouldn't jump as big as they did here on what Thursday of this week when Trump said We've got a piece of deal and suddenly the dow, which was flag goes up almost a thousand points. That they wouldn't keep jumping at that if they thought that there wasn't the likelihood that it's going to turn out something like that. I think, I don't know. You don't have much to go on from afar, that's all. It was a problem. But one thing we do have to go on is the friendliness of our sponsors, for whom we're gonna stop for a moment and take a quick message. We'll be right back, all right. Last topic for today, uh it. You know we've talked about Gordon Wood on this show before. In fact, you know, we beat him up a couple of times, and you've defended him, John, and I have to say the news.
Speaker 2: Don't you feel bad?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the whole point is I mean, you know when you heard that. I mean, it's not it's not necessarily a shock when someone of the age of ninety two dies, but to have been struck down by an accident a motorist in a parking lot in Providence, Rhode Island, it's pretty horrific and shocking, and coming just the month before the July fourth is. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it, and maybe I'm too much sentimental and all the rest of that, but that struck me. As I guess, it's not really an omen of anything real, but still it's quite an amazing thing that this historian, of all people be the person who would be struck down in an accident right now as we're gearing up to you know, talkships and everything else. And I did have to say, and I you know, I've said this before too. I've mellowed on the guy quite a bit, partly because he got better the old regot. And I've noticed, by the way, the lot of people who would have critics of his are also singing his praises this week. Do people surprise me?
Speaker 2: In fact?
Speaker 1: But anyway, it's like who, well, I'm not going to name names, actually I don't well, actually, well some of the clare monsters actually who otherwise, Because you know, Jaffa tangled with Wood a couple of times, I'll put it in here. Wood wrote a long piece in the New York Review of Books in nineteen eighty eight called the fundamentalists in the Constitution, and it was an attack on the Straussian bi centennial, that's what he called it. And it wasn't a nasty piece, but it was very critical and I make reference to it in my Civitas Outlook piece that's just up. And although Jaff is real target back then was another guy at the New York Review. He used was Miles Bernaiatt guy from Oxford and Jaff and he went back and forth in letters, both public and private letters, for months more than would but in any case, but would you know, it's come around much closer to I think the position it celebrates the decoration of independence for mostly the right reasons, and that was completely absent from his breakout book from nineteen sixty nine, So that showed his evolution. I don't know if you either want of you want to say any more about Wood, but I have a follow up question though that Wood brings up.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure he changed. I think he was thinking about different So the thing that struck me about the difference between creation, which is basically his PhD dissertation and then the radicalism of the American revolutions, I think came out in the early nineties. Yeah, I think it's like ninety three or ninety four, and the Creation is like nineteen sixty nine, nineteen seventy around then. Is that he's I think, writing more about the society and economy and radicalism, whereas the Creation he's really writing. He thinks of intellectual history about ideas, and so I think in his own mind, if I remember how he reconciles them, is that he thinks really that American society kind of left behind this kind of classicism of the Founding and Republican in that really short order that and I think he thinks that, like James Madison, doesn't recognize the world he's living in after he's president. It's just because of the sort of Jacksonian spirit is really the true nature of the Revolution. So I don't think to me that's not a change in the way you think of it, that he's changed his view of intellectual history to be that the Founding was motivated by natural rights. I think he's much more impressed by the economic and social changes of the Revolution, And I don't maybe he thinks that the I mean, he just really doesn't discuss the natural rights element all that much.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a missing element. I mean that you just said something interesting about James Madison didn't recognize or couldn't recognize the world he was in after he was president. Did you ever read was it Washington Irving's Rip van Winkle? You know, we always think Rip van winkels the story the guy who falls asleep for twenty years wakes up, and we think that the story's about a guy who falls as like.
Speaker 2: Oh, you mean like the original story. No, I've never read it.
Speaker 1: Like, oh see, that's the thing is that I haven't read it now in forty years. But well, you know again, you start reading things more careful, you're like, we weirdos do. And what you notice this is what does the actual conclusion of the story, Rip van Winkle wakes up and what it could be eighteen thirty or something like that, and he looks around and he's like, boy, this place is all busy and there's all this commotion, and everything's changed, and I don't recognize this country. And it's sort of a when you say, one interpretation is it's an account of the chaos of American society and how much how dynamic a society it is, and if you like some old settled aristocratic view of politics, which some people say would was celebrating or advocating. That's not really correct. It's very suggestive of that. But I think the Radicalism book you mentioned that was I think maybe his best book, and I thought, ah, what do I thought the conclusion of that book was, is they really did mean it about this equality, business and freedom and liberty and people, can you know, the pursuit of happiness. He didn't put it directly in those terms, but a lot of people who he's running at a time when the whole Marxist view of the American founding and early republic were was being revived, and that I think.
Speaker 2: Is the great achievement of him and Bernard Balen is to restore Like That's why I don't understand why he Straussians, you know, you know, slammed the guy so much to read he but at the time that he and Balen were writing, you know, Charles Beard was still the dominant figure about the account. He doesn't they said the revolution was about ideas, not about you know, property owners protecting their property. Yet that's you guys always give your friends a much harder time than your enemies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't call him a friend, I would call him neutral, just just I just don't think he's important. You guys seem to think he's I don't want to say anything bad about it. And the guy just was killed in a b a driver. I don't want to say just I guess I I come from a tradition that just didn't think he was worth spending too much time with, just because Yeah, they're just There're a lot better things to read about the American founding than Gordon would.
Speaker 3: That's what it comes down to. It's not a choice between reading Charles Beard or Gordon Wood. There are just better Who is.
Speaker 2: The great Straussian historian of the American Revolutions?
Speaker 3: A lot of I don't know that you have a single grade.
Speaker 1: Where are they?
Speaker 3: I would read Abraham Lincoln every single day before I would ever bother to read it.
Speaker 2: Abraham Lincoln was a Straussian.
Speaker 1: Well you didn't know.
Speaker 3: Somebody because they're a Straussian.
Speaker 2: But what I was saying, who's the great Straussian historian of the American Revolution? I thought you said Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 3: Those games I don't play well.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're just a game, I'm just who gives the best account the Straussian account of.
Speaker 1: The Revolution, there isn't. Yeah, but he was alading trying to write a history about it. He gave an understanding of it. It's a political one. He wasn't a historian, right, he was a politician. And that's fine, but no, but no, but seriously, now you can't say you don't like historian because there's other people who are better who aren't historians. How about some names like Edmund Morgan or Forest McDonald or Robert Middelkoff the Glorious Cause I bet you haven't read any of those books, have you?
Speaker 2: Am a big fan of Fort McDonald, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, well, he's one of the guys who really slammed the door shut on Charles Beard. Right, yeah, I knew Forest McDonald a little bit. I never thought to ask him about what he thought of Beard. That would have been interesting.
Speaker 2: You know, what do you think about Strauss? And that would have been interesting too.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now here's something that actually is well known about Forest McDonald. I learned this from Leonard Levy, who liked Forest McDonald. Forest McDonald, you know how to farm?
Speaker 2: Would would would Leonard Levy be one of your guys?
Speaker 1: Well, of course, he's a constitutional historian and not a you know, across the border story. And but yeah, pretty much, even though you know, of course it's our guys who got him to change his mind about a lot of stuff. I'll leave that aside for now. H I learned from Levy. I'd known about Forrest McDonald, read him some as an undergraduate. But McDonald lived on a farm outside of wherever University of Alabama is, and he liked to run his tractor and and stun his porch in the nude. I mean he really wasn't. Yes, he was a nudist. I mean it's just weird.
Speaker 2: Wait, Steve, you're the one walking around in the Japanese robe on the You're already halfway there, man, you're ready halfway there.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, I was not gonna say about I don't know something else.
Speaker 3: But okay, I'm okay with you guys discussing it. I just don't have that much to say about it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well there is this question.
Speaker 3: It was not good and I just said I don't want to read anything else's school.
Speaker 1: Well, well, there's this question that raises and we'll make this our last word.
Speaker 2: Here is.
Speaker 1: In a big lecture that would gave last year, celebrating almost exclusively the Declaration of Independence that he'd ignored in the Creation Book. He ends by saying that this is why America is a creedle nation. He said, creed Oh is the transcript, but it means the same thing. We're a creedle nation. And there's that big debate right now. So you know, Bill Galston was trying to pick a scab last week in the Wall Street Journal, and he mentioned the Claremont Institute in it, saying, there's this division on the right between people who see America as a creedle nation in Lincoln's terms, or as a historic nation, or that has several forms. Right, it's cultural, it's religious, it's an ethnic heritage. Right, that's the heritage Americans argument that comes out one version of this. Have you heard this, by the way, I only recently learned this that some of the critics of the declaration, say, conservative critics say, well, this is that all men are created equal, the sort of universal principle. It's what is the pillar of open borders and unlimited immigration, which is idiotic, but nonetheless that's something that some people are saying. And Galston threw that out there as a provocation, I thought, but that are the three polls, right, I've always thought a synthesis was possible. I think there is possible to do one better than would, but it would have to be on that scale, and no one has really done it. Maybe the closest is Brad Thompson's book title Him Forgetting. Thompson, a student of Gordon Wood, did his pH d with the Wood, but the second half of his dissertation was a criticism of Wood his dissertation advisor, which I think is pretty nervy of Brad.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, what do you guys think? I mean, peace, Yeah, okay, but that point, I mean, you know, is it necessary to take polls between the Creedle nation view and the historic cultural nation view?
Speaker 4: Or is this as it's an artificial.
Speaker 3: Somebody needed to write an article and come up with something.
Speaker 1: Well, no, this has been this has been around for quite a while, right, and so.
Speaker 4: Here's here I will try one more time to defend myself. I'm not interested in reading any historians view of the matter. I'm interested in reading primary sources. I'm interested in reading those people as they as they understood themselves.
Speaker 3: By reading them.
Speaker 4: And I'm not I don't need somebody else's lens to tell me how to think. And I think if more of us stopped expecting the Howard Zenz to explain it all for us, we would understand better what our founding is all about. But instead we read people who tell us what you think.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking about why I read like scholars books or why have scholars? You sound like a spartanectuals.
Speaker 1: Remember, remember Chaff is a great line about that history is much too important to be left to historians.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, but.
Speaker 2: You don't want to read any thing.
Speaker 3: It's not that, it's just I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't place them in a sort of vaunted place. I mean, I love reading James McClellan's uh histories of the Civil War. I think I think he's a great writer. He brings up I'm not sure Iryer.
Speaker 3: McLean's the general.
Speaker 2: No, I love it.
Speaker 3: I mean I I do. I don't want I don't want.
Speaker 4: Them to tell me how to think about things, is what it comes down to. And I don't want them to put it all in a big package for me and tell me this is the the theory behind and and this is how you have to view all of American history through this lens. That that I find that just uninteresting.
Speaker 2: Isn't that when you guys do with political theory.
Speaker 3: Nope, you do the opposite.
Speaker 2: I'm just finishing Mansfield's book on right the all of national and I really love it. But the whole the thing is a theory of all political modern political theory and how to think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: An he's like Straussian and chief. He's like chiefest staff to the Straussian movement these days. Right, isn't that why you guys write your books is to persuade people how to understand all these thinkers? Is that what you're doing is telling people how to think? Well, the really quickly loud no.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: But but when we had our podcast with RJ.
Speaker 4: Pastrito, one of the things that I mentioned was I I had long before I met him, I was a huge fan because without a huge shove it down your throat, this is how to think about it. He presented things in a way that you could think about them, think them through, and then come to your own conclusions about the damage. I know I agree with him about the damage that Woodrow Wilson has done to this country and other progressive. But it wasn't again as shove it down your sort of thing and this is the only way to understand anything. It was here's the facts, folks, and here's an interesting way to look at them kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I prefer that. Again.
Speaker 4: I don't like the Howard Zinn approach to history, and that's so much of what I see intellectual scholars doing today. If it's not, you know, I know that that's a crass example because he's a crass person, but he's also that view overtook other views, which became the dominant view and is now taught everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yuh, yuck. Let's read real history, not Howard zin Well.
Speaker 2: Let me can I just defend Bill Dalston. One quick point was he wasn't right. Steve's right, Well, he wasn't inventing these categories or driving any theory. I think this is a debate that's been going on for much of American history, which is this America founded on allegiance to certain set of ideas or is it more like a traditional nations with our nationhood h deriving from history and territory and people. I would have thought you guys would have been very sympathetic to Galston. You know, Galston believes it's a credle nation, right, He's a critical of j. D Vance and Patrick Denin, who he attaches to. I would have thought Jafa people would have thought we are a credle nation and supported that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, well so so Galston. Galston is one of the only left Straussians. He's not that far left. He was a Clinton Knight right, which is uh and uh. He was an Alan Bloom student at Chicago way back when. So he's kind of part of the club a little bit, and that's why he knew exactly what he was doing. But it isn't I remember at the aps A, I think it was two thousand and one, a vicious, ferocious debate between Tom West and a guy named Barry Shane, who ill bet Lucreatia has never heard of, but he's been around.
Speaker 3: A long time running that debate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that that, you know, that debate was was epic and pretty vicious. I mean Shane's saying that Tom's book Defending the Founder should never been published. I mean he was that sort of rude about He's a really nasty guy, and you know that he would have talked.
Speaker 2: Oh what did he say back?
Speaker 1: Well, you know it was the one only time I've ever seen Tom look like the nice, friendly guy, right because always meloded. All right, let's put it all to be continued, except not after our next ad break. Instead, we're going to go to a close, so we'll be right back. All right. We need some help this week from the our friends at the Bee Lucretia.
Speaker 3: Yes we do so. Picture of Karen vass It says California reminds voters there are just thirty days left to vote in last Tuesday's election.
Speaker 2: Can help it?
Speaker 4: Can help it because I'm still frustrated about it? Or Los Angeles a fish worn? It may take several weeks to tell the up goals from World Cup matches. Can I just say that nothing bores me more than even a discussion of soccer.
Speaker 1: Oh have you seen this? What's burning up Twitter right now? Is this German tourist over here and attending the World by the South? Yeah, and but he discovered BUCkies and you said, can't believe it exists? Is based on ones?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome. I guys see that. Can I tell you I was driving in Pennsylvania today on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and there was a sign that said something like nearest BUCkies eight hundred miles.
Speaker 1: I was like, I can't believe.
Speaker 2: They put up back. That was so funny. There's no BUCkies in Pennsylvania or Ohio. I don't like the nearest one must be down at Oklahoma or something.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to throw another one that we two on the Carmelo Anthony verdict that came out this week. Nation shocked as jury rules you cannot stab someone in the heart for no reason at all, and then Carmelo kicking himself or not converting to Islam and stabbing someone in the UK instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of these aren't even it's true.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 4: California officials pleased with voter turnout of two hundred and fifty percent.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, and then sorry one more. I tried to find the one I promised you guys about BUCkies. It was hilarious.
Speaker 4: World Cup stadium empty as European tourists all just hanging out at Bucky's.
Speaker 1: There we go, right'.
Speaker 3: I could leave one since we spent too much time.
Speaker 4: According to Steve and Iran, I'll leave us with this Trump sets new world record by winning war with Iran twenty seven times in one year.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm dead.
Speaker 2: Always drink your whiskey, meat, buy more books, and Steve a good sign off from Tokyo, Japan.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, uh, what's uh? What's the what's the Japanese goodbye? I've forgotten It's not Yanara oh man, that's it. I keep wanting to say a Reeve dirty But that was the place we read two weeks ago, right, or you know, knietchi Wall backwards or something like that. But you have been listening to another edition, another Cosmopolitan edition of the Three Whiskey Happy Hour. I'm actually on a whole different day from the two co hosts, hosted by Ricochet dot Com, sponsored by our friends at the Civitas Institute. Come back again next week when we will resume all these usual discussions with our usual Vim and Vigor. Bye, guys Ricochet, join the conversation.