Speaker 1: This is an interesting week we're having right now. I am on my way to Chile, Santiago, Chile for overnight, and I'm going to be meeting with our group for our tour of Rapa Nui starting that weekend. And this is pre recorded, obviously, but I am looking forward to reporting back to you exactly what I experienced on Easter Island, otherwise known as Rapa Nui. And I gotta tell you, I'm excited, and I'm very very excited simply because I never really expected to go to Easter Island ever. I mean, I've been interested. I've talked to Graham Hancock about it. I've talked to Robert Schock, who wrote extensively about his experience there. And we're really fortunate to be going to the island with Ed Barnhardt. And Ed, as you know, is an archaeologist who has spent a great deal of time there. In fact, he was there just before COVID hit around twenty nineteen and had worked with the local administration to survey and really plot what was known and what is not known about the settlements on the island. What he told me, and we're going to have him back on the program. Actually We did have him talk about Easter Island in the past, but if you remember, he did some work with the previous administration and then when the COVID hit, that administration left and there's a new administration. So part of the trip that we're visiting and going to take is including a reconnection with the new administration so he can finish his work. So I don't know what that entails, and we'll have on to Ed on the program to talk more about what he discovered during his survey, but also what he's gonna discover, what he's gonna do while we're on this tour with him. So it's gonna be fun. I guess what that means is he's gonna do a little work along with touring and showing us what the island's all about. You know, I've always seen these amazing pictures of these moai, these huge fifty eighty ton stone sculptures that are at the perimeter and all over. They're skeedtered all over the place. I've always wondered what they look like up close and personal. It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. I'm bringing all my equipment to show you as much details as possible, so look forward to that. Hey, this is Cliff, your host of Earth Ancients, and I hope you're doing well today. You know, it's a great deal of fun to visit these places. And if you've ever wondered and ever wanted to come along with a good tour, Earth Ancients does usually about three tours a year, and we have one coming up in Turkey. It's June twenty second through July second, and it includes a number of archaeologists, includes a number of private visits the places like go Beckley, Teppy, Carahan Teppe, and then we'll have a guide take us down into the underground city of darren Kuru. So we're doing tons of stuff on this tour. We're about halfway full. If you're interested in touring whatsoever, and I gotta tell you Earth Ancients is really a great place to start. Consider us. Consider Earth Ancients for the Turkey tour. And also I've just finished a dialogue with uh Lydia Di Leong and her husband Arturo. We're going to do a Sacred Pyramid tour in Guatemala December first, that first week of December twenty twenty five. And this has just been somewhat completed in terms of an understanding of what we want to do. The itinerary won't be out for another couple of weeks, but if you have interest in any of the tours that we're doing, send me an email, send it to earth Ancients for you at gmail dot com and I'll get right back to you. Now. For all the details on all of our tours, go to earth Ancients dot com, forward slash Tours. You can see all the itinerary. This Turkey tour, we only take twenty people. We don't want to take more than that because we want to get everybody in one bus. We want everybody to be comfortable. We want everybody to be able to see all the sites and all the details of every place we go to. So check it out earth Ancients dot com, forward slash too, and consider Earth Ancients for your upcoming tour. You know, and let's say I'm gonna mention is that our tours are literally half the typical price. We don't scamp. The food is excellent, the travel is excellent, the guides are excellent. They're a five star tour across the board, but not for the typical price. And you'll be surprised. Do some comparisons compare to compare other organizations with Earth Ancients. So Earth Ancients dot com for Slah tour. All right, enough about that. Today's program is with best selling author Joshua Hammer. He wrote a book a couple of years ago called The Badass Librarians of Timbuck II, and that was about a historical moment in Europe. Today's program has to do with the discovery in the eighteen fifties of these cuneiform these clay tablets that have these spikes in them, that they used stylists a piece of reed and they would right into these clay tablets. It's the discovery of what at that time was thought to be a lot of civilization of the Assyrians. Now we've had an seriologist, Irving Finkel on the program to describe just how sophisticated the Assyrians were and the Babylonians the later culture. But the Assyrians come out of nowhere and in eighteen fifty in Iraq present day Iraq, they found a complete library of these cuneiforms. They also found huge walls of beautiful reliefs and other artifacts that just blew everybody, Wait, what's amazing and this is what the story is all about, is the fact that the entire European collective Germany, It's Italy, France, England and so forth, were on their seat, on the edge of their seats with these discoveries. I mean, the papers were publishing them. There were columns, and oddly enough, this is just before cameras photography was in the use. They would send out illustrators to illustrate the artifacts that were found. They would send illustrators to show these cuneiforms, and it was a fabulous period of time, you know, even though the technology isn't anything close to what we would consider cool. But Josh talks about this, this riddle that they I mean, they're trying to decipher this, and what they did is pure genius. So today's program is the Mesopotamian Riddle. An archaeologist, a soldier, a clergyman, and the race to decipher the world's oldest writing. And my guest today is Joshua Hammer. He's coming to us from Berlin, Germany. Hey, spring is just around the corner where there's going to be getting better and better as we continue on into the year. And this means it's time to think about getting away on a vacation. Earth Ancients has the best tours you could ever imagine, and we are talking about Turkey in summer June twenty second through July second. This is our second annual tour to this amazing city. We all land and meet in Istanbul and for eleven days we tour some of the most amazing sights in all of Middle East. We're talking the underground city of darren Kuru, Cappadocia, go Beckley Tepe and even Carahan Teppy. This is a place that is very much off limits to a lot of people except Earth Ancients. Our tours are literally half fifty percent less than what you typically would pay for an all inclusive Lemon Dade tour with our host Mohammed Imbraheim and a variety of archaeologists, geologists and scientists who are providing information on the latest discoveries in this part of the world. The Earth Ancient's second annual Turkey Tour is not to be missed. For the full light itenerary and more information, go to Earth ancients dot com forward slash tours. Click on the banner and you'll see the full eight tenerary and all the details. Remember If you want a fantastic tour at half the normal fee, think about Earth Ancients Tours. We've been doing them for many, many years and they are a blast. Earthanses dot Com forward slash Tours. Come out and join us. We've got a new one for you this week, my friends. Typically we are dealing with historical events in real time, we're gonna feature something quite new. It has historical ramifications, but it's got a twist. It's a I would call it a historical fiction, but we're gonna ask the author here in the second a little more about it. But it's got I mean, from what I've captured so far, it's it's a good one. The author is Joshua Hammer. He is a New York Times best selling author of six books, including The Badass Librarians of Timbuck two, I Gotta Catch You, I Gotta Find That one, and his writing has appeared in New York Times Magazine, GQ, Atlantic, The New Yorker, and The National Geographic. And he's coming to us from Berlin. The book we're talking about today is called The Mesopotamian Riddle. An archaeologist, a soldier, a clergyman and the race to decipher the world's oldest writing, and we're going to get into it right now. So Hey, Josh, great to see how you doing.
Speaker 2: Good to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit about constructing a historical novel that has a fictional platform. How do you how do you pull that?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I must correct you. It is nonfiction.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's actual. Well, the actual facts are lined up in terms of historical events. But is it is it a how would you describe the book?
Speaker 2: I would describe it as a faithful rendering of what actually happened. So I guess that qualifies his nonfiction.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it is nonfiction. Excuse me. I'm glad that we made that correction. It's it's fascinating to me because at the time that we're talking about, we're talking about the eighteen fifties, there seemed to be a hell of a lot more interest in historical discoveries worldwide, and you kind of capture the discovery of cuneiforms in what is known at that time as Mesopotamia, which is present day. It can be Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Iran in those areas, So what was mostly Iraq?
Speaker 2: I'd say mostly Iraq finds a rock.
Speaker 1: Talk about the collection of data and how this was formed, how this book was pulled together.
Speaker 2: WHOA, It was a pretty complicated process. I mean, well, essentially, the book is about two different quests. One was an archaeological quest. There's been rumors about a lost civilization, great civilization of Assyria floating around for years, decades, centuries even, I mean no, actually going back to the ancient Greeks who went by the desert around Mosul and saw sort of ill defined mounds and suspected that there was this civilization of Nineveh, the Assyrian civilization might be buried up there, but nobody really had gotten around to it, you know. Except for some peripheral digging around the edges of these mounds, nobody really tried to explore them. Oddly enough, it wasn't really until the eighteen forties that that archaeological quest began in earnest thanks to one one in two individuals, basically a Frenchman and an Englishman.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 2: And then the other quest was the intellectual, the detective, the linguistic detected detective story to UH decipher these strange inscriptions and had written in some dead language that were found on the inscribed on the walls of these palaces that they were uncovering this times. So you had these really these two this confluence of of quests going on and exactly the same, well, one one catalized the other. Obviously, although there had been a few, you know, over the years of decades, there had been some qneiform inscriptions had surfaced in various places. You know, a diplomat might pull up some slab lying under uh, you know, in the dust in Babylon, and and and so things were there, you know, but they they really did not dominate thinking about the ancients like the Egyptians did, you know. So what really wasn't until the eighteen forties that they began to discover the ruins of Assyria. This whole lost empire came back to life. And that's when I was really resurrected from the dead, and that's when the real effort to figure out what these ancients were saying began. So basically was a question of following both of these quests and then kind of weaving the stories together structurally and also trying to understand get my brain around how these decipherers worked.
Speaker 1: Right, And what I love about this story is. It's a detective story, but it's also a race to decipher these cuneiforms. The characters are fascinating. You have Austin Lanyard, Henry Rawlingson, Edward Higgs Higgs as the three main figure points that are pulling together or their knowledge, pulling together their resources to actually begin uh deciphering this this uh these cuneiform what are? What are? The countries were involved in this, and we know Germany had a big hand in this, but who else is.
Speaker 2: In Which aspect are we talking about? You mean the archaeological aspect or the actual decipherment or well, okay, so really yeah, it's such a complicated tale because like, unlike the hieroglyphs, which had one language and one writing system, uniform was a writing system that was used to write a lot of different a lot of different ancient languages. So you have people working on all these You had you had Germans, you had some Germans, you had Danes, you had English, British, Irish, French. It was a multi national effort working on a lot of different different scripts, h and languages, but all written aostentially in these with these weird wedge shaped characters that we now know, originated in Sumer like thirty four hundred BC, and then kind of proliferated around the Near East, you know, over the over the millennia and really kept going for thirty five hundred years in various forms.
Speaker 1: We've had a cuneiform expert from the British Museum on this program. We've had a couple of people and a lot of these are these these tablets are daily activities, you know, from you know, just doing you know, chores and things like that had at this time when they began deciphering deciphering them. Were there historical references that were of any note in the early period of the finds.
Speaker 2: Well, so there were there were two basic uh reference points. The Bible, which the Old Testament, which talked about the really only discussed the Assyrian Empire in context of the It's it's, it's attacks on the Jews in Uh, Judea and Samaria. So there were long Book of Kings for instance, Second Book of Kings has lots of passages about the the Assyrian kings and their attempts to conquer Jerusalem and and the the dispersal of the Ten Tribes. So that was one point, and then the Greeks, people like Herodotus. The ancient Greek historians wrote about the Assyrians, but from the perspective of people who lived hundreds of years later, so they didn't really have a contemporaneous knowledge and a lot of what they wrote about. I mean, Herodotus was, you know, the father of history, but he was also known as a great, a great, a great fabuloust, so so a lot of people didn't trust what he wrote about. But that that's basically what you had. You had the Greeks, and you had the classical historians, and that was the sum of knowledge about these people. It wasn't very much, but yeah, it gave it gave a ground that, it gave some reference points.
Speaker 1: The idea of a lot of civilization seems to be a theme in the book that is grasping the imaginations of the people at that time. And one of the things that I found was interesting that is not really a focal point for today's society is they would these archaeologists would take huge sections, if not entire buildings Hallom back to Europe, rebuild them and have these daily exhibits where they you know, it's like you're back in them in the Mediterranean. It's really amazing what they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the thing is about these things that those like the one of the reasons that the that the Egyptians maintained a greater hold on the public imagination and the Assyrians did because you Egyptians built in stone and these things lasted for you know, for thousands of years. The the Mesopotamians built in mud brick. That stuff disintegrated, but they did panel these mud brick buildings with incredible carved bar reliefs, you know, obsidia alabaster limestone bar reliefs. Often these like thin layers spread over these mud So those survived, a lot of them survived. The buildings themselves were destroyed when they tried to recreate the lost Kingdom of Assyria, you know, or Nineveh, the great capital of Nineva back in England for like a World's Fair exhibition in the eighteen fifties. It was all like completely complete fantasy because they didn't really know what these things look like. They just used you know, they used motifs, they used Doric you know, Greek columns. I mean, just like a weird mishmash of architectural ancient architectural designs that you know, really came out of layers imagination and the imagination of his architectural partner whose name mentioned in the book, but a case. But anyway, but what they did have with these so they had these these these alabaster bar reliefs that were pretty detailed and gave kind of an amazing view of walled cities that were conquered by the Assyrians and battlefields and its incredible stuff. You know, really gave you feeling for I mean, just imagine like there was no not you know, really very little knowledge about these people. It's certainly no pictorial evidence, right, and then suddenly they're just digging up like voluminous images of what life was like, even you know, with really incredible detail, down to the way that these people and their enemies were dressed. I mean, really got to find the chariots, what the chariots looked like, their horses, the actual sacking of the city. They had like a cinematic sense of this stuff. So it really opened up insight into a world it was only more you know, vaguely understood or known about. But the buildings themselves were gone, there was nothing left of those.
Speaker 1: So so you mentioned Laird as the one who's building these exhibits is I mean, they found these uniforms in an ancient library, but it was not really a library. It was more like a hole in the.
Speaker 2: Ground because that was pretty much where it was left, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it was all this, like you said.
Speaker 2: There's different there are different things. So the first things they found were these stone alabaster bar releafs with these incredible inscriptions, you know, chiseled into the stone. Right, that was like the first wave of findings. And then later Layer kept going back. He stumbled into you're kind of right, it is a library. It was a repository of all the documents from this particular long raining power, powerful Assyrian king. Everything was accumulated in a couple of rooms and the walls had collapsed, and so Layer just stumbled into this the remains of this of this corner of the palace, and just found like thousands of clay tablets, broken tablets, coupled. Some of them were intact, many of them were broken, but like an astonishing array of of of material, all written in the same cuneiform writing that was on the walls of the temples. But that one was that that was sort of much clear you know, written in stone chiseled in there easier to read. This was a little bit trickier. Some of these things were incredibly minial. One of the things that the Assyrians liked to do was to create these cylinders like were maybe like the size of a bowling pin a bow, and they would and they would chisel inscribed with these incredibly fine instruments, these cuneiform symbols, like basically telling the same stories that were on the palace walls, but in miniature, I mean incredible miniature. So and then they were and then they would bury them like twenty feet or ten feet underground. It's almost like a time capsule for future kings to discover. And that they would excavate these things, and then that was a tremendous challenge to read those ones, much more difficult than the inscriptions on the walls.
Speaker 1: Talk a little about a bit about the cuneiform. You describe the writing as arrows, different arrows.
Speaker 2: Arrow ahead is the way they used to be called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's because the tool is a stylist, right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like it's like it's a it's a thick read that grows in the Middle East. And then they would pull off the stalk and they would split it, and it would because it was it would split naturally. And then each one of those stalks would end. You would end up with a wedge shaped end, and then you would wouldn't you weren't like Carvey. You were just basically placing this onto wet clay. This is the wet claim method. I'm not talking so, so the chronology is that they came up with this wet claim method where they would just just put the the wedge shaped edge of the stylist, press it onto the clay and then and that's how they would write. And then later on when they created these giant palaces in Mesopotamia, they took those same signs and they chiseled them into the walls, but the clay never really just appeared. That was always a medium for for for for writing as well. So this is like began and this began, you know, a thirty four hundred b c. Or so, and evolved over the over the centuries.
Speaker 1: I don't want to give the book away, but uh, what were the references used to begin uh decipherment of these cuneiforms?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, not that you had to do it all away because that's a lot.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'll try to. One of the reference points was the Rosetta Stone, which was a different, different writing, different language entirely, but some of the techniques from the Rosetta Stone were also employed in this. This dicipherment came next. So what the Rosetta Stone was, in case many of your people watching this don't don't quite get it, It was a slab discovered by the French. It was a proclamation about the new king, and it was written because Egypt there was about seventy or eighty. It was a couple maybe one hundred couple one hundred or two hundred years before Christ and Egypt was a Greek colony. So you had ancient Greek written in one level, and you had higher glyphs on another level, and you had something called demotic script, which was like a shorthand version of hieroglyphs. And ancient Greek was a living language, I mean, it was a dead language, but the writing was understood, right, I mean, people studied ancient Greek in class in London, in English boarding schools all over the world. They were able to take that known language and kind of match it up against these unknown languages, try to find parallels. The word king. They would see the word, you know, the name of a particular king Ptolemy appeared like fourteen times in the Greek. They looked at in the higher glyss, what other you know, what do we see anything here like a similar pattern if some similar characters being used fourteen you know, fourteen times, And they matched them up that way and were able to sort of slowly get the sounds out. Well. The same thing was done with cuniform. It was. It was a question of except in this case it's more complicated, much more complicated than the Rosetta stone. But still it was the idea of taking a known language because they were written like three. The ancient scribes wrote three languages side by side, and they did the same kind of thing, match them up, get the sounds. The thing is, it was much more complicated because the Syrian Babyloni wasn't just a phonetic language it was it was a It had phonetic syllables, and it also had logograms, which were just symbols meaning you know, things, and it was all just sort of thrown together without any real understanding rhyme or reason. Nobody quite knew, and so it took them a long time to figure all this. How do you know what is a phonetic character? How do you know what's a logogram? You know, how do you pronounce the logograms? There were just like a million questions that they had to kind of work their way through. And I can't profess to understand eight is the l it was done, but I have a little bit of an understanding of how they got started anyway.
Speaker 1: It's that's the real challenge of this this book, is how in the hell they were able to decipher this without artificial intelligence. We're talking about AI today using and beginning to uh seek and define things we can't understand.
Speaker 2: You know, I've always loved the challenge, I really have since I've read I've read a few books about deciphering ancient scripts, and I've always found it really fascinating. So that's why I was drawn to this one, because I hadn't really read a good account of how it was done, and this wasn't you know, this was the oldest language in them all. You know, you haven't really been no popular account at this store of this tale.
Speaker 1: But I love it. Yeah, you have a whole chapter on the black obelisk. How does that play a part in this uh discovery?
Speaker 2: H Well, the black obelists. So that was an amazing artifact that was discovered in one of these by layered in one of these ancient palaces. I believe it was any lost city of Nimroud, so like Wood was one of the oldest Assyrian cities, dating back to about I want to say, about nine hundred BC, and buried ten feet underground, as these objects often were, was this black limestone monument an obelisk, I guess it was about seven feet long. It was buried sideways, but it was meant to stand, and it contained a series of very well defined pictures of what looked to be like a bunch of the Assyrian king being visited and paid tribute to by conquered vassals, all bearing gifts. So they had each each side had I think five of these really intricate barralings showing guys bringing you know, bacty in two humped camels, monkeys, elephants, precious jewels, wood whatever, bundles of wood. But it just gave this incredible one of the most vivid pictures found to that point of life in the Assyrian court and each each panel had a canea form inscription next to it. So it was really invaluable for the for the deciphers because they now had, you know, at least a start here. You know, they had the pit, the image, and they had the qunea form and obviously there was a connection between them. It was like a graphic novel from the eighth the ninth century BC and uh and it was because it was also like an incredible magnificent It was incredibly well preserved, so it was like the best preserved piece of of relic from the Assyrian Empire that had at that up to that point been discovered. So it was really treasured. And when it came finally in forty you had this like long dramatic story that's in the book of how it was transported from Basra at the southern end of Iraq all the way around India and finally to London, and how it was it ran into a major hurricane, the ship toppled over for months, they had no word about the fate of the obelisk. Finally, like in October, after it was left in February, in October the ship arrived it somehow managed to pull itself together and arrived at port and the Obelist turned out to have been saved. So it was really sort of a national celebration because people had seen images of this thing draw a graphic artist had sent pictures of it back to London, So there was a lot of interest in this thing, and then when it was saved, of course there was a lot of rejoicing that it had been took a place. Still it's at the British.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to ask you it's still there.
Speaker 2: It's not the British Museum. Okay, very cool to see. Yeah, it's not huge. It's not like the giant you know, winged colosside that guard the palace case, which are like seventeen some of them are seventeen eighteen feet tall, you know, the wing buff half men, half beast, half lion, half bull. No, it's small, but it's it's the colors are very vibrant, the pick, the images are a vibrant. Everything about it is lustrous and detail and kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a short break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves and we will return shortly with my guest today, Josh Hammer. Discussing his latest book, The Mesopotamian Riddle. Will be right back. My guest today is best selling author Josh Hammer, who is presenting a new book called The Mesopotamian Riddle. This is the story of the Cuneiform decipherment, these Assyrian tablets that are used to document daily activities, various laws, rulings, and also the cosmology of the Assyrians. Yeah, it's funny because I was at the British Museum a couple of years ago and I actually saw the Rosetta Stone itself, and I I can see why the Egyptians want it back, as well as other artifacts. It's like the British Museum has all this booty from the period of when they were the world's uh, I guess elite. You might say, how do we look at that today when we when we have these artifacts that are you know, not really the you know, belong to the Brits.
Speaker 2: Well, there are lots of argument. Obviously, the British Museum is under like intense fire right now, like you know, from all from all sides. The Nigerians want the bronzes back, the Greeks want the Eligion marbles back, the Turks want the bodrum marbles back marbles meaning freezes, you know, beautiful freezes that were basically well plundered out of out of these countries by British archaeologists who you know, under circumstances that that remain even now a bit unclear, clearly bribery. You know, contracts were signed, pasha's and the Ottoman Sultan turned over these artifacts legally at the time to many of you know, under under the under Ottoman law or under the decree of the of the Sultan, these things were handed over. How much duress was involved, it's all very murky, you know, but clearly there's a move now, a big push to bring and including the liar stuff that was taken from Iraq. The Iraqis want that stuff back. So they have legitimate reasons. They've built museums. They they they they can house these artifacts and these relics in relatively uh secure and beautiful facilities. Now they were hiring find you know, architects to do the work. But you know, the British, the British Museum has been very resistant to this. Needless to say, there are some and there's a lot of sentiment on both sides. You know, a lot of people believe that the British Museum is British Museum has a lot of defenders. They say, it's it's it's it's repository for the world it has, you know, it's it's it's visited by I don't know the number of millions of people that visited every year, but clearly you're not going to get that kind of audience. It's to see wing bulls at the museum, and you know, shouldn't wing bulls be brought back to most plus moscil in Iraq has had a history of incredible violence and FAOs and attacks by ISIS, and so how secure is a place like that. There are arguments to be made for for for just going with the status quo.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've been to the met in New York and they have entire temples that have been uh disassembled and re erected in the inside there. Yeah, the Berlin Museum has amazing artifacts, and I went to the in France, another place that has complete temples that have been disassembled and reassembled. This is I mean, you're making a good point as to why these artifacts are there. They're protected, but still as I mean, I go to Egypt, every year on tour with my listeners, and they're very adamant about getting artifacts back from the Brits and the and the Germans and the Americans.
Speaker 2: So well, they've got the very charismatic archaeologist Zaki Howas now leading the Yeah, I guess, leading the effort to get both the Rosetta stone from the British Museum and the extremely well known bust of Nefertiti from the Noise Museum in Berlin. They want that back. Nothing is I mean they I believe they're either they're a new museum in Giza, either under construction or finished. I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: It's partly open.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to is it. I haven't been in many.
Speaker 1: Fifty percent open fifty percent. It's a one billion dollar museum that has had delays for almost eight years.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, interesting. Uh So we'll see what happens when that thing finally gets going and whether But I you know, obviously I think that the I know, the Noise Museum has no intention of turning that never TV over.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that that's a classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's their biggest draw, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, talk a little bit about the dating. Uh, procedures because in the eighteen fifties C fourteen was not developed yet. Uh for for dating, Why how are they coming up with these dates for for artifacts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is pretty you're you're that's a really question. That's an inexact science to say the least. I would guess that they. I mean, first of all, they had biblical biblical records. They knew you know, I mean certain. I mean the book of the Book of some of the books of the Prophets have been dated, have been dated fairly reliably, so they could, uh there was there, there are several kings. Once they were able to read the king's names, they could match up the names of these kings on the palace walls with the uh, with the passages in in in the in the profit in the books of the Prophets, and get a rough idea of the century. But they You're right, they they were able to get this down to uh, you know, to to the to to with an exactitude in terms of the genealogy of the kings and what years that they reigned. I don't you got me stumped there. I don't know how they were.
Speaker 1: I'm asking, Josh, is that that I was wondering as you were writing the book, you were looking at documents where there was a comparative steady of one artifact to another, and perhaps, as you're saying, there was the picture of a king that was duplicated over, you know, and the time period was relatively well known of that.
Speaker 2: But also, as I'm thinking about, the Assyrians would have known the you know, the reign, the dates of a particular king's reign, and whatever date system they were using, that would have been in the inscriptions the the the they could read, I mean very quickly. They modern day deciphers knew how to read Assyrian numbers. So given that information they could sort of figure and they could they could get an order of the kings and look at the years that they reigned, number of years, and assemble a genealogy that way. So once you had that a sign, and then if you figured out specific date of one king. I don't know how they came up with an exactly an exact date to begin this whole process, but once you had a fixed date nailed down, then the rest of it would fall into place, right, So it couldn't have been easy, but you know, and at the beginning, I think they were floundering. They didn't really even know whether the Assyrian temples and palaces they were digging up like predated the Persian Empire, the Okamenid Empire, or followed it. And the Persians ruled like Darius and Cyrus. They ruled in about the sixth in the sixth century BC, and they it turned out that they followed the Assyrians, you know, by but nobody knew that at the time, right, So they were they were at a loss in the early days. But obviously they put it all together within you know, ten, ten twenty years, they were able to get a pretty good chronology.
Speaker 1: Would you say after finishing this book that they have the dates fairly well established or there's still question marks about some of the I mean, because we're talking about very early days three three thousand, four hundred BC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about well, that's all. That's all very rough, right when you go back that far. Nobody's nailing down dates, that's true. Nobody is nailing down dates. And how they even got those dates thirty four hundred BC, I don't know. You messed off asking a real sumerology sumer sumerologist about that, but I can tell you that as you know, as as Assyria entered. It's kind of the the Neo Assyrian Empire phase, which was from about the beginning of the ninth century BC until the destruction of Ninevah in six' TWELVE. Bc those like three hundred years were pretty well. Documented they they're able to date those pretty, exactly even to the point of knowing exactly like the month that nineva was destroyed by The babylonians and The, meads you, know and that's definitely fixed at six TWELVE bc as far AS i can. Remember how they got that exact, Date i'm really not, sure but that's kind of become the accepted.
Speaker 1: Wisdom you have to applaud our, ancestors who you, know layered In rollingson And hitticks as very bright, people extremely bright without the use of, computers without the use of any kind of data, storage they were able to pull this all.
Speaker 2: Together the maddening thing about these, guys and also the deciphers of hieroglyphs Of champollion and being the most well known of, those is that they did not write about their. Methodology most of the. Time they did not explain like how they got from point a to POINT b to POINT, c and the decipher, yes, really which makes things really tricky if you're trying to get inside their heads and explain. IT i had a hard that was a real stumbling. BLOCK i kept talking to these BECAUSE i had Some assyrian really like philologists and the seriologists THAT i would consult on a regular, basis AND i just kept asking, them you, know where are the, records where's the, diary where are the? Diaries? Where, dude where do these guys explain how they did? It and you're just left with fragments here and there that you have to you kind of have to piece it all together on the basis of a few. Fragments they just didn't really feel the need to explain it to. People quite quite. Maddening that's.
Speaker 1: Amazing we've Had Irving finkel on a number of times in a seriologists at The British museum And i've always, wondered And i'm curious about your thinking on this if the decipherment is, correct because he, SAYS i, mean we've had people on the, show people like Not, zachharacisian but people like, that who have misinterpreted the cuneiform. Tablets, yeah and not necessarily got the dates, wrong but got the actions or the lives of various kings. Incorrect so what you're saying is that this team that you feature in this book had it together pretty pretty. Closely but have you talked To Irving finkel at?
Speaker 2: All? Yeah of, course of. Course. YEAH i MEAN i didn't ask him that. Question he wasn't particularly helpful to, me BUT i HAD i turned to other seriologists who were far more. Helpful AND i think bit territorial you might, say.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah and it's like my version is the best version you know of the.
Speaker 2: Story, LOOK i mean they you, know that's what they had in THIS i begin the book with this eighteen fifty seven challenge because there was so much skepticism about whether the writing system could ever be, deciphered that they held a basically ad contest where they got four philologists, together four supposed experts in The Syria babylonian, language and had them all trends take the lithographs of one particular cylinder from eleven HUNDRED bc home with, them not the actual cylinder but. Lithograph it gave him like a couple of months to work on, it and then sent a sealed packet to The Royal asiatics, side and if they matched up more or, less it would be considered you could safely say that the, language that the writing and the language had been, cracked that it was. Understood and they did effectively do. That they got it pretty. Close but there were lots of, gaps you, know there were because because there were logograms, pictograms they just didn't understand there were multiple ways of reading a single sign that were confounding to. People there were lots of. Ways in, fact the reason that they had that there was so much. Skepticism one particular, scholar An irish, scholar looked at the signs for the name of the king Nebucud, nezzer The babylonian king Nebucud, nezzer which one of these Fellows hanks had translated as Nebukud, nezzer but at the same time the whole way of. Talking one of the find of one of the findings as they were delving into into quiform was that a lot of these characters had a multiplicity of. Meanings they could be read, five, six seven different. Ways and this scholar pointed, out, well if you use that, PRINCIPLE i could look at this this these six characters that supposedly form the word Nebucud, nezzer there are actually three hundred and seventeen thousand other ways THAT i could write this. Name so your theories are. Crap you, know this is just a. Hoax you were just. Us you could come up with any name and make me and try to make me believe. It so that was kind of the thinking going on that led to this conference in eighteen fifty seven where they just, said, well we need some way because those who supported the discipherment would say, that, well you, know you look at these things in. Context there are ways to narrow down exactly how these characters are being, used and experts can figure it. Out it is, complicated but there are ways to figure it. Out and that's what this competition was all, about just sort of proving that we can get it pretty. Close and they did get it pretty, close you, know close. Enough it. Was it was with The annals of A king from eleven HUNDRED, bc you, know very complex written in these, tiny tiny characters on that bowling pin sized, cylinder talking about you, know lion hunts and building consecrating temples and military campaigns In, syria what is An syria and giving, gifts, vassals giving, gifts lots of description in, here thousands and thousands Of canaan form, characters and you, know you could have taken that in any number of. Directions so it was really a great, challenge, right which is why they picked. It and the four guys got together and they presented Fair although there were lots of, gaps the findings were close enough that they did, say, well we're coming to an understanding of. This BUT i do believe that the decipherment process went on for, LIKE i think it's still. Going, YEAH i think there's still doubts, about you, know certain. Things it's not like a cut and dried issue at. All it's not like because hiering. GLYPHS i think it's fairly well done. Now But i'm pretty Sure i'm not in a, syriologist But i'm pretty sure that there's still some.
Speaker 1: Questions oh, yeah there. Is what did we learn about These syrians in terms of their? Education they seem to be a very literate, culture and this comes out in this. Decipherment but talk a little bit about what this uh the team finds in terms of these, people they seemed LIKE i, said very.
Speaker 2: Literate, well you, know the literacy dates back To one of the facts THAT i found really amazing was going back all further back To, summer which is where it all, began you, know further south in the southernmost corner of what is Now, iraq and that they would archaeologists would pour through the remains of these how of houses in various you, know ancient sites dating back to about twenty five HUNDRED, bc and virtually every one of these houses they would find tablets with writing on. Them so this was an incredible sign of how literate this particular society. WAS i, mean there were there were schools that taught writing to, scribes but not just the, elite elite government or religious. SCRIBES i mean that, writing that literacy trickled down well beyond just the elite of that. Society AND i would assume That, Assyria, assyria which borrowed the signs from the from The sumerians but gave them different. Values BUT i would assume that that society was pretty much, this you, know at a similar level of, literacy and that, YES i mean they wrote about everything from well what what what? Rawson sorry what? Well? Rawls and anla. Are discovered in these libraries were everything from, uh you, know a lot of medical, stuff a lot of a lot of routine bureaucratic, stuff medical treatises about how to cure various, illnesses even Psychological council for psychological, problems astronomical, observations, calendars uh scientific lots of, science lots of, science lots of annals of fighting of wars of, coorts written by written by the, kings, uh. Horoscopes they were extremely they were both scientific. People they were also extremely uh. Superstitious you, know some of this stuff is some of this stuff is wildly this WHICH i didn't really know much, ABOUT i, mean anything about the what how how the whole idea of, exsicipacy you, KNOW i Think i'm pronouncing it, right which is reading the entrails of dead.
Speaker 1: She, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Right this was given incredible prominence in the royal court Of, ashabanopal the most powerful king of The Syrian empire in the mid seventh CENTURY. BC i think his father and grandfather also uh subscribe to. This but they would uh king would be present and the, soothsayer the entrail reader would come. In questions would be whispered into the dead sheep's ear and then the entrails would be read to try to determine an answer.
Speaker 1: And may that's classic, divination you.
Speaker 2: Know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah and here this very, literate highly evolved society is using this form of, PROPHECY i guess and divination to live their daily. Lives so you got to wonder what the story is.
Speaker 2: There maybe that was just specifically for the. KING i don't think the king necessarily cared about you, know it was his really his own. Welfare well, no but some of this stuff was all about the you, know preserving the kingdom and how, to how, to but a lot of it was about his own, fate you.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 2: Yeah and also the, uh you, know it wasn't just. EXTICIACY i, mean reading the, planets reading the, movement reading the, mood you, know the face of the, moon the, planets the. Stars this was all incorporated into this elaborate web of superstition that the king really these kings really subscribe. TO i, mean it seems like they spent much of their days consulting you, know fortune, tellers, astronomers astrologers to determine courses of.
Speaker 1: Action, yeah. Fascinating it seems in the book that you portray europe as excited about this, discovery and is there articles in the paper that are like weekly opinions or updates on what is happening in this. Discovery is this an area that you were able to kind of tap into for reference.
Speaker 2: Material british M The British library has a great collection of newspapers from the day and one of the most popular and WHY i find the most fasting forgiving a picture of life at that time was The victorian at the height Of Victorian empire was The Illustrated London. News Illustrated London news was like a broadsheet PUBLISHED i think first issue was in eighteen forty, two and it had before really before. Photography photography had just been. Invented but they they must have had this amazing staff of artists and they just did these incredible litho lithograph illustrations on pretty much every other, page amazing detail of you, know the coronation Of queen beerw, whatever of the visit Of Queen victoria to The Crystal Palace World's fair, exhibit just with you, know, everything with hundreds of people, everyone you, know finally drawn war, scenes The battle of you, know The Crimean. War this is WHERE i found the famous picture that's actually in the book of one of The, lamasus the winged, bulls or maybe it was a wing lion being brought up the stairs on a ramp at The British. MUSEUM i mean that thing weighs. Tons, yeah, Yeah so it was like they had seventeen horses carrying this thing through the streets Of london from the docks of near The tower Of, london brought it to the, museum constructed a ramp that carried the thing up the stairs into the down AND i think it went down to the, basement Which layered was very unhappy about because The British museum was not they were they were just grabbing so much stuff around the world that and bringing it back To london that The British museum wasn't able to keep up with the flow of good of, artifacts so they had to Stash layered stuff in a dimly lit basement, room which he really was unhappy about and complained quite bitterly. About but so this was a you, know a regular feature of The Illustrated London. News they were often reproducing pages and pages and reproductions of the the relics That laired was. FINDING i think The Black obelist first appeared or is in The Black obelists may have first appeared in the in the illustrated end the. News they weren't the only ones doing, it BUT i think it was like a very popular hit paper with about a circulation of one hundred thousand at the, time which is pretty.
Speaker 1: Good for you, know, yes ninth.
Speaker 2: Century there were other publications The, athenaeum, uh some OTHER i mean a bunch of popular magazines and then literary magazines that paid a lot of attention to hints and rollins and the, decipherment their speeches at The Royal Asiatic, society their reports. There you, know there was a lot of.
Speaker 1: Stuff were any of those illustrators With laird as they were excavating the, sites and, yeah.
Speaker 2: There's some, stuff there's some there's lots of excavation art as, well sketches as. Well they all Had laired went THROUGH i think three different illustrators who accompanied him into the couple of The actually one traveled with him From london on this really kind of difficult journey overland To assyria and was with him for some time as he was making these. Discoveries so there's some great material that shows the excavations in. Progress we're going to.
Speaker 1: Take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify, themselves and we will return shortly with my guest, Today Josh hammer discussing his let us release The Mesopotamian. Riddle will return with you. Shortly we're learning about the cuneiforms that when they were first discovered in the eighteen. Fifties just how the world perceived this, discovery really a lost civilization that comes to, light and the race to decipher exactly what they had. DISCOVERED i think one of the QUESTIONS i was thinking about WHEN i was reading about their Lives rawlingson And hicks and later is did they publish anything of fund outstanding regarding this? Work in other, words If, LAIRED i, mean are they publishing actual? Books?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, actually So laired was the popular.
Speaker 1: Author that's WHAT i. Thought he.
Speaker 2: Wrote he was a prolific, writer and he just churned out, letters, diaries several volumes of, memoirs the first of which Was the memoirs are, enthralling filled with, illustrations some of WHICH i think he did. Himself it seems like everybody in those days was like schooled and. DRAWING i don't quite you. KNOW i, Mean rawlinson too was quite a good. Artist he wrote these stumbled across these diaries that he had written for his kids years, later bringing back his days as a fighter In afghan warrior In afghanistan and at The British embassy In. Baghdad and he wrote with these the kind of nink drawings that were really quite, good and a couple of THEM i reproduced in the. Book so, YEAH i Mean layard was ABSOLUTELY i mean he was a popular. Writer his stuff sold tens of thousands of. Copies rawlinson did not, REALLY i, mean there is a biography Of, rolinson contemporary, biography but it's written by his. Brother so he never really did What lair did at. All there was there were short articles that he. Wrote there were very dense reports on the decipherment that he did for The Royal Asiatic. Society there were, letters but nothing like Like. Laird and the same goes For. Hanks he didn't REALLY i mean he wrote a lot of, letters but he didn't really tell a. Story But Leo hanks didn't have the kind of, piicresque you, know adventurous dramatic life that the other two guys.
Speaker 1: Did but you write very, Well, josh about these, individuals And i'm wondering did any one of them have a column in These british papers where they were paid to, write you, know their Expedition they did not want.
Speaker 2: Them pretty.
Speaker 1: Amazing let's talk a little bit about a city that's, fascinating.
Speaker 2: Whichcuse.
Speaker 1: Me, uh when it was uncovered and, excavated it was a pretty big, deal wasn't.
Speaker 2: It but it was, no it was never. Uncovered it was always, there per being The Persian king's you, know showcase a city in in what's Now iran and like Southern, iran that, PLACE i don't. KNOW i think because of its position in the in the in this, valley the, winds it was never climactic. Reasons it was never covered. Over so people have been writing About persepolis for two thousand years describing, it and it WAS i, mean it began to attract regular visitors From europe IN i mean the Ancient greeks showed up, there described, it people like, Uh Theodora, siculus some of These greek historians them two, three and then and then you had another wave like beginning around the sixteenth century of of, travelers diplomats from the wet from From europe coming to See, Persepolis so it never disappeared from view the meaning of the writing on the walls Of persepolis that was. Lost nobody knew what that. Was, uh that was the first writing that it was, deciphered and that's actually what led to the others being. Deciphered but it's it's it's not like it wasn't Like nineveh Or nimrod Or babylon in that which were basically just covered over by sand and these mounds formed around. Them and that's a very good. Question why is? That AND i don't have THE i don't have the answer Why persepolis was never? Lost but never does it.
Speaker 1: Come up in references that in the cuniform that the these researchers are passing, over you, know or is it thought of this myth in the eighteen.
Speaker 2: Fifties oh while you, talk are we talking about As assyria or? What, yeah the lost the lost cities Of. Assyria, Right, yeah it's like this gray, zone you, know it's like there's an there's enough documentation over the millennia handed, DOWN i mean Ancient greek travelers who would pass By mosil or along The tigris and see the ruins of a city right in about four hundred four HUNDRED, bc and then Another greek visitor like three hundred years later would, say, oh, well that, guy you know that that's. GONE i don't even see any remains of that city now it's just a. Mound and then over the, centuries you keep having these references to this in this. Mound and Then layer gets there in eighteen forty and he's like, utterly you, know he's he's basically like a back the equivalent of a backpacker making his way Across, asia you, know and he, just you, know he shows up at the mounds and he just sees, this and he's kind of he's utterly. Transfixed he's, like he's, like, well all the historians are telling us that this that there, was the greatest city of the ancient, world was right at this. Spot so there's this mound here and nobody's paying any attention to. IT i, see you, know every once in a while somebody would come up with a little fragment of. Cuniform but he was just sort of baffled and blown away and awed by the utter disappearance of any trace of a great. City so but he, assumed you, Know i'll, bet he, SAID i will bet that there. Is if we can get the resources together and begin, digging we will find we will find. Something he was utterly. Convinced and it's funny that nobody else had the same it really that happened in eighteen, forty so nobody had the, initiative curiosity whatever to do it before he. Did but he, schemed and you, know he didn't have any money at the. Time he was like twenty three years, old but he was a great you, know he was a great talker and a great. Operator and within five years he was back, there this time with some money from the turt from The british ambassador To Constantinople kubision of his own pocket and gave him enough to put together a diggy team and go to work and then the rest is.
Speaker 1: History. YEAH i love how you describe each of these main. Characters they're just really great. Writing was there any award given for the? DECIPHERMENT i, MEAN i. Don't typically in those days it was more recognition and then you'd get a scholarship and you'd be you, know part of a society or something like. That but were there awards given for all the work that was put into this decipher, man.
Speaker 2: You, KNOW i, Mean rawlinson was knighted and he was, praised and he was he received a lot OF i don't think there was any actually formal award given to. Him Steck to complained a little bit about that of some of his letters about The british government kind of snubbing him and not doing anything for. Him layard was feted and given various keys to the city and everything for his archaeological, discoveries And hanks was, ignored, basically even though a lot of people say that he was the guy who in this very intense rivalry between him And rawlinson for who who was could be considered the father of decipherment in canea. Form hanks pretty much now is recognized as the true father of, decipherment but he received no recognition in his, lifetime with the exception of a couple of, peers you, know close, colleagues fellow, philologists but nothing from the, government nothing from nothing, official.
Speaker 1: No university appointments at.
Speaker 2: All he wanted, this he desperately wanted. This he was kind of he was really kind of getting tired of being an anonymous churchman in this small, village in a small town in Northern, ireland and he felt for you, KNOW i mean a lot of people have this impression that he was just this sort of, shy reclusive character who didn't care about any international. RECOGNITION i, mean in, fact it was the actual. Opposite he really wanted to be. Famous he wanted to be, recognized and he hated the. Fact he Hated. Rawlinson you, know he hated That rawlinson was getting all the attention and he hated being like after a, while just stuck in. This. YEAH i mean he's a religious. Guy he. WAS i think he appreciate. You he appreciated and got great satisfaction out, of you, know his sermons and his tending to his, flock although that was also, controversial but, anyway you got into hot water with doing, that but not always very popular among his. Parishioners but, anyway but he also had. Aspirations he wanted to teach you at. University he kept asking People, layered you, know any one of his influential friends who were who Were, english to help get me a job At. Cambridge get it was like basically just straight. OVER i want a. JOB i want you To can you just like call your you, know get in touch with your friends on the trustees and get me a position they should have in a seriology position for. Me why can't you do? That and never. Happened it never, happened and he ended up you, know he did. WELL i, mean the saddest thing About hanks is that, eventually thanks To lair's, intervention he got himself a one year deal to translate to work at The British museum to translate The Black obelisk and other great. Artifacts and this isn't really this was like for him to pin at. Him you, know he had finally made, it and he trooped off To london and was given his position and went to work and then you, know translated voluminous amounts of, material put it all in, notebooks and then at the end of a year they fired him and snatched away his notebooks and basically just kicked him out of the. Museum and the theory never proven is that he believed That rawlinson had sabotaged him Because, rawlinson you, KNOW i really got into in the book THE i, MEAN i really tried to bring to life as much AS i, could the rivalry and the sort of the way these two got three guys, interacted BECAUSE i found that to be one of the most fascinating elements of this, story the person, did the different personalities and the competition and the way it played. Out And rawlinson probably sabotage takes because he was incredibly jealous and what you see it in the, letters like what is this clown? Doing you, know this pathetic Little irish, churchman who does he think he is coming into My british museum Where rowlinson had connections and influence and, power you, know and getting this job transcribing, my you, know my artifacts because he was he had been In baghdad for years And laired would ship him down these, artifacts first To baghdad Where laired would Where rawlinson would inspect them and then send them down To bostra to be shipped up to The British. Museum so he kind of, felt this is all my. STUFF i you, KNOW i shipped. IT i was a diplomat who arranged the transport of these delicate artifacts back To britain and now, hints you, know this puny irishman is in my. Place he hated it and so there's all sorts of evidence that he puts some pressure on his buddies at The British. Museum and not only did they And hanks after a year sent him packing back To, ireland which he never left, again but they also stole his notebooks and sent them To rowlinson to give him like a little heads up on how to you, know handle some of the more difficult cuneiform. Acipherment kind of. Treacherous it was Really hanks had quite a sad, yeah sad. Story but you, know, finally thanks to the revisionists looks being given by modern day, seriologists he's finally getting his, due you, know wait for.
Speaker 1: Him, yeah it's a great. Read the book we're talking about Is The Messicotanian. Riddle my guest today has Been Joshua. Hammer josh who is this book? FOR i, mean you wrote this last, Book timbuk, two that was A New York times. Bestseller it was so. Popular who are you writing? FOR i, think let's, say, so who would be interested in? This people who love ancient? History, yeah people who love decipherment. Stories people who, love you, know a dramatic, adventure BECAUSE i Mean liott layered story which is interwoven with his, cipherers is a great. ADVENTURE i, mean off the sky goes so the wilds Of asia in the eighteen, thirties you, know and it was like a just a totally, dangerous crazy, place and it doesn't get much better in the course of his ten years. There so there's you, know an outdoor adventure element to this. Story you, know it's just like a good. YARN i, MEAN i really tried, to. Didn't it didn't necessarily present itself immediately as a great, narrative but you, KNOW i THINK i found it in the course of researching. It SO i think although it's really for a lot of different people with a lot of different, interests it's very well, written very compelling and eye opening for that time of our. History just the brilliance of these men computers without artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: Believable just to crack this is just.
Speaker 1: Fascinating josh give us some context to give us your website and how people can learn more about.
Speaker 2: You website, unfortunately due to my own, negligence has been, discontinued but you can google, Me Joshua. Hammer you can find me on The simon And schuster. Site you can just google me the name of the, book and you'll get voluminous amounts of material from you, know and in two weeks the reviews will start coming. In BUT i think, That, yeah The simon And, schuster my publisher, site has a really nice page where you'll find out a lot about, me a lot about my other, books and pretty, SOON i mean supposedly by. Now BUT i see it's still not. UP i did like A i shot a five minute video back In november about the. Book was that going to be on? YouTube it'll go to, YouTube, yeah but it should be initially on probably simultaneously on The it should be up by. NOW i keep asking, them where where's that? Video there? Was it was definitely supposed to be up by sort of toward the end Of. February but you, know they've gotten pretty sophisticated, Though simon and. SCHUSTERCER i did one for The Badass librarians that you can. See, yeah look see How i'd aged over the last eight. YEARS i did not do one for my last, One The Falcon. Thief but but they have uped it to like three different cameras and lots of. Editing so what are they calling?
Speaker 1: That josh are they calling that like a book preview on video or are you just kind of giving?
Speaker 2: Highlights they asked me a lot of Question it was done in a question and answered. Format oh, so and then they're, gonna you, KNOW i guess. Seamlessly one hopes edited to make it look, professional AND i think they are pretty professional over.
Speaker 1: There so, excellent Miss.
Speaker 2: Tam but, again keep looking. Forward it should be out in the day or. Two it's kind of a, summary you, KNOW i talk about well basically the same Stuff i've been talking to you, about but it compressed into about three three to five.
Speaker 1: Minutes, Fantastic, hey much success on this. BOOK i enjoyed. It i'm looking forward to finishing the. Work and you are just.
Speaker 2: Nonfiction it really. Happened it's the, real the real.
Speaker 1: McCoy, yeah it's. Fantastic thanks for joining. ME i appreciate.
Speaker 2: It thanks for having. ME i like your questions AND i like your curiosity about. This it's getting me fired. Up so about to go on a book tour in The, states so it's, great great getting me fired up about. It, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm still trying to get my mind around the fact that they were illustrating these, artifacts these field archaeological, digs excavations and the people around. Them you, know these characters That josh features in his book are. Illustrated there's no, photography and that's what they broadcast in their, papers SO i. CAN'T i, mean it's funny Because i'm an. Illustrator i'm a trained, illustrator and WHEN i used to see these guys that would scratch metal, plates it's amazing how gifted they. Were these, guys these artists are extremely gifted and able to reproduce a, scene create a, scene an illustrated scene that was transferred into a paper or a document or even a. Book we just don't do that. Anymore we're so reliant on our, cameras and of course now with these handheld iPhones or digital cell phones that have this camera built into. Them we take photographs for. EVERYTHING i, mean the DAY i WAS i, DELETED i must have deleted over two hundred photographs that were either duplicates OR i didn't think they were great or. Whatever it's very casual for. Us so, wow what a technological leap from scratching on metal, plates you, know lithograph and im pressing that into a piece of paper for an image to digital, images actual photographs of an an. Item it's just mind blowing where we've come. From and this is the eighteen. Fifties so, ANYHOW i hope you enjoyed that you get a sense of what's, happening if you, remember and if you want more information on, cuneiforms look up the podcast Where i'm Interviewing Irving, finkel Doctor finkel from The British. Museum he is a real great. Storyteller he tells the story of that the. Decipherment and, oh by the, Way josh mentioned that he had numerous conversations With finkel and his got his impression of just what happened during this. Period but you, know this is this is, amazing this is, fascinating and here you. Go now WHAT i really if we had more, TIME i wanted to ask him what he feels the placement of artificial, intelligences BECAUSE i keep hearing greater evidence of some of these archaeologists and, linguists perhaps Even assyrians as a seriologist using and programming artificial intelligence to you, know not only decipher, things but begin placing more emphasis on scripts and things like. That i'll tell You i'd love to see it with The maya because their language we have about ninety percent of, it but you, know we don't have as much as we have of The assyrians of The. Babylonians it's a great deal of. Fragmentation and remember we only have four books or what they call, codises and until we find more about, it we're completely guessing what the hell The maya were all. About And i'm writing about this and it's like really a challenge For mayanis archaeologists to figure out what the hell they were, thinking what their society was, about what their daily activities Get we have, Fragments we have. Fragments and what's even more, incredible and this has to. Happen you, know they use light r you, know five six years ago and found sixty thousand new untouched ruins In aigutamola, biasphere two hundred square mile scan series of scans uncovered these these, uh these. Ruins, now we just don't have the funds to go out and start digging and excavating those. Areas it's just it takes. Time and so, ANYHOW i, uh these ancient cultures are enigma And i'm wondering And i'm thinking that maybe artificial intelligence can really tighten the strings around understanding how these civilizations, functioned how they. Developed SO i hope you enjoyed. THAT I i enjoyed interacting With. Josh he was he was a lot of. Fun, hey if you're Enjoying Earth Ancient's destiny Or Earth Ancients Special Edition The, archives please consider becoming a Subscriber for as little as five. Bucks you can support the work we do here on these podcast and when you, subscribe we have a ton of gifts for. You the first thing we have is a ton of, books digital, books and you, know if you, want you can start your own. Library we have over thirty books from some of the best people out there talking about, ancient known and unknown civilizations from around the, world and that's part of the. Gift we all have some unpublished and, Interviews we have some. Galleries we got a lot of thank you gifts for. You so to, subscribe go To patreon AS P a T r E O n dot, Com forward Slash Earth ancients and just. Subscribe all you gotta do is give them YOUR atm or your credit. Card they take it. Out they deducted every month, five, ten, fifteen even twenty. Dollars makes a huge difference in our expenses and we really appreciate. It so go To patreon dot Com Forward Slash Earth. Ancients SO i want to thank the following people who have subscribed in the last thirty. DAYS i want to Thank Ian, nori Ben Terra, Blue Stephen eastman And Sandra. Win you guys are. AMAZING i want to thank you and you guys Rock patreon dot, Com Forward Slash Earth. Ancients all, right that's it for this. PROGRAM i want to think my guest Today Josh hammer and The Mesopotamian, riddle coming to us From, Berlin. Germany as always the team Of Gail, Tour Mark foster and everyone who makes this thing. Happen you guys, rock all, right take care of me well and we will talk to you next. Time the ague to.
Speaker 2: Begin, again and they amused to talk about and then.
Speaker 1: To the, area and they amused.
Speaker 2: Them became a.
Speaker 1: Fact and impact. Attention