Speaker 1: Today the future of America. Trump is president. In breaking news happening right now, it could all change. Keep up with life.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KARC the talk.
Speaker 1: Station at oh six.
Speaker 2: You're a fifty five kr C DE talk station. Happy Thursday, Brian Thomas, You're welcoming back to the fifty five KARS Morning Show. We get her every election season and it's coming at us like a freight train. Welcome back from the Hamilton County Bard of Elections, Sherry Poland, always great having you on the program.
Speaker 1: Good morning, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Let me start off by thanking you and everyone at the Hamilton County Board of Elections. I think the last couple of elections we've gone down to early vote, you know, get the car load of the family members and zip on down there with my son and daughter. It is such a well oiled machine. Even times when I have voted, when there's a line out the door, that line moves. I mean, you're not outside very long if there is a line, so don't let it discourage you. Plenty of parking, such a major improvement over the prior location, and you got a wonderful website that answers everybody's any possible question you could have about it, which is vote Hamilton County, Ohio dot gov, Sherry polland congratulations on the wonderful work that you're doing it. So, like I said, a very well oiled machine. So with that in mind, early votings fast approaching. What day are we going to start voting?
Speaker 3: Yes, voting begins on October eighth. That is the day we open our doors for early in person voting that you just talked about, and that's also the day we begin mailing absentee ballots to those voters who have requested.
Speaker 2: Wye okay, absentee voutes go out on the early voting start date. That's a good question to answer. I was kind of wondering about that now insofar as getting registered. If I mean someone's going on, I got to get registered, how do they go about doing that? And how do they go about updating their their voter information because if you changed address things like that, you need to update your voter role.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's a great question because that's the first deadline that we're concerned about with this election because it's fast approaching. So for those citizens that have not yet registered to vote in the state of Ohio, The deadline is October seventh.
Speaker 1: It's easy to do.
Speaker 3: Folks can register online by going to our website. You just gave that website, I'll give it again. Vote Hamilton County, Ohio dot gov. When registering online, citizens do need to provide two forms of ID, both driver's license number or State of Ohio Identification Card number and the last for digits of their socials, so when you know, it's an extra layer of security. When folks are registering online, they can also register at their local Bureau motor Vehicle at a public library, they can come here to the Board of Elections. When registering using a paper form, only one form of ID is required, and on Monday, October seventh, our board will be open until nine pm to register people to vote.
Speaker 2: Sure you mentioned you need a photo, a proper photo ID, the state issued idea or the driver's license to register online. How do you get the driver's license information in when you when you're registering online? Is it just your driver's license number? Do you have to scan it or how does that work?
Speaker 1: It's just your driver's license number.
Speaker 3: You input your driver's license number when you go to our website, it'll actually take you to the Secretary of State's website. The state wide voter registration database communicates with a BUA Motor Vehicle database. They share inform, they share data and information, so when you register online, that's why you have to have both forms of ID, and then we use the signature that you have on file with the BUA Motor Vehicles.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, And in terms of your hours of operation, you're normally eight to five Monday through Friday. I see you have eight to four pm hours on Saturday. This is after early voting starts, but you're also open on Sunday. I was amazed to see that.
Speaker 3: Yes, so our normal office hours are actually eight am to four pm. And then when once early voting starts on October eighth, early voting is from eight to five. And then the closer we get to the election day, the more extended hours we have for early voting. So the first two weeks is eight to five Monday through Friday. The third week is eight to six, the fourth week it's actually eight to I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's actually seventh thirty to seven thirty.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and then we're open, like you mentioned, we're actually opening because it's a presidential year. The two weekends before, so two Saturdays and two Sundays people have the opportunity to vote.
Speaker 1: You know, the hours changed throughout.
Speaker 3: The month, so I highly recommend people go onto our website and get the scheduled.
Speaker 2: It's a really easy website to navigate. Again, I'll give you props for making it so easy for my listeners and everybody else vote. Hamilton County, Ohio dot gov. Now moving over to the all important subject of poll workers here, Sherry Poland, let me guess you're in need of poll workers for the upcoming election.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we are, and you know, I know it's a long day.
Speaker 3: I think that's the that's the reason we are given most on why people do not want to work the polls.
Speaker 1: And we understand, lame.
Speaker 3: The team here at the Board of Elections arise at the Board of Elections before the poll workers get to the polls, and we're here for hours after the poll workers have gotten home. So I understand it's a long day. But I'll tell you this one will go quickly because you'll be busy. Yeah, and it's you know it will. And you know we typically see high turnouts and presidential elections Hamilton County. You know usually somewhere between seventy and seventy four percent, So that's good. You are paid for your work. And actually, earlier this year, our Board of Elections, along with the Board of County Commissioners, gave the poll workers a raise. Poll workers now make two hundred and twenty five dollars for their service, and if you have a manager's position and with additional responsibilities, you'll make up to two hundred and seventy five dollars. So you are paid for your work. It's a great reserve your community, and it's not a difficult job. We really do everything we can to support the poll workers. We train them and then we have a special help desk line dedicated just to them for their questions on election day.
Speaker 2: Well, and I can only go back go to the experience of my wife and some of my other friends have had working the polls. I don't ever recall hearing about anything involving confrontations or arguments that I think. The people who volunteer to be poll workers are in it for all the right reasons, and the motivations are pure and clear. They want and maintain the integrity of the vote. And it doesn't matter what party you are You're there to do a job on behalf of the public and the voters. So yeah, I mean low likelihood of anything going wrong. I would imagine Sherry, that.
Speaker 1: Is so true.
Speaker 3: It is very rare that we have any type of problems amongst the poll workers. It's just like the team here at the Board of Elections that I'm so proud to be a part of. It's Democrats and Republicans. We put our politics aside when we walk into the board and poll workers do the same when they walk into that location because we all have a common goal, and that is to administer affair and free election.
Speaker 2: Vote Hamilton County, Ohio dot gov. All the information you whatever need in terms of getting registered, changing your address, updating your information, and of course all the information on the dates and times when you can start early voting. Jerry Poland thank you again on behalf of all my listeners and the folks in Hamilton County for the hard work that you do each and every year, and for providing this information today on the morning show. And get in to vote and get out to vote. You got to get registered to do it, So get over to vote. Hamilton County, Ohio dot gov. Sherry, have a wonderful day and best of luck as we fast approach November.
Speaker 1: Thanks Brian, I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: On'm happy to do it. Happy to do it. You're always welcome here in the morning. Shoot, it's eight fourteen, folks. If if I have care see the talk station, you know it we're going to pull. Is rewarding too, Don't give me a phrasing button on that streker. It is rewarding. You're helping out. And you know, if you don't do anything by way of campaigning, door knocking, working for candidates, whatever, the integrity the election, most notably in this presidential election year is very very important. So it's nice to know that you've got both parties there keeping an eye on things and making sure people are minding their p's and q's. And that's the job of a poll worker. Okay, let us move along. We got a little bit to talk about before we get to the bottom of the hour. Phil Kerpen's going to join the program at eight thirty. Sadly and please thoughts prayers to Jay Ratliffe and his family. Jay's father passed earlier this week, and Jay dearly loved his father and he's a lucky man for him being alive as long as he was considering the age. But he did pass away, so he won't be joining us this morning. He's involved in the grieving process, which I certainly understand. So prayers to Jay and his family. A fifteen fifty five KERC the talk station and Cover SINCEY, I'll tell you what my buddy Jeff. I talked to my buddy j about my buddy Jeff all the time, and Jeff is a supporter of the sponsors. Now, Jeff I believe owns his own small business, and so he took my advice and called Cover SINCEY the team at Covers since he to find out if there's a better way to manage medical insurance for him and his team, and he was amazed. He says, no one he has ever done business does works the way Cover. Since he does. Went over every single employees individual status one by one and that's the way it works with Cover. Since he so small groups, he can end up saving you thousands and thousands of dollars improve your business's bottom line. Get your employees insured in situations where they might not be even inclined to get the medical insurance that your company is offering because there's too much out of pocket liability. Listen, man, I don't have nine thousand dollars to shell out before the medical insurance kicks in. Let alone the fact that it's an expensive monthly premium. John Rowland the team can solve that problem for you, making your employees happy. Improve employee retention too with the way that John Roman and the team work. Medical insurance hundreds of insurance companies, thousands of medical policies. What they do is a layered package of insurance. So you get dollar one coverage for your regular visits, you get emergency room coverage. It's actually going to cover the hospital bill, and you pay less. It doesn't cost you anything but time. So call them and just fill out a form online, or call them up and schedule deployment to talk with them with about your insurance. Any one of the team members can help you out. They're brilliant at what they do. Five one three eight hundred two two five five five one three eight hundred. Call the website with the form, you learn more about the team and get the process started. It's coversincy dot.
Speaker 1: Com fifty five KRC. We're just hours away.