Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Good morning. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, May seventh. I'm Heatherbooker in for Amy King, who is on a much deserved vacation. But don't worry, I'm just keeping our seat warm for a few days. She will be back next week. I will continue to keep you updated on all the major stories happening. To help kick off your day. I want to say good morning to the wake Up Call crew, Good morning to producer, and she's giving me a beautiful wave. Good morning. I always love seeing you. It is such a delight. I feel like sometimes our schedules are a little opposite, so this is always nice week to see I agree, and good morning, Cono, Good morning, Heather, Good morning. Right, and now we've got Will back in studio with me today. Good morning, Whale, Cole Streiver, Oh doctor, turn you on, that's what she's saying. Morning, Hey, good morning. So you guys know, I think we mentioned Amy is in Paris. Have you guys seen they're having massive hail storms in Paris golf ball sized hail. It's been like deadly storm. So I hope she's okay. I hope that she's still enjoying herself and walking around with her croissant and having a good time where we're thinking about you, Amy and we can't wait till you come back. All right, let's get started before before I get too off track, Let's get to some of the stories without working on Here's what's ahead. On wake Up Call, we have an update on the shooting at Spartan College. It happened last Friday. Officials say doctor Kemisha Clark was a dean at the school when she was shot and killed in her office. A receptionist was also hurt. The suspected shooter, Jesse Figueroa, was a recently hired campus security guard. He was arrested in charge with murder and other felonies. Five people are under arrest after a deadly smuggling attempt off San Diego's coast. A capsized boat left three confirmed dead, including two children from India. Two men face smuggling charges. There will not be a triple crown winner this year. Kentucky Derby Champs Sovereignty is skipping the Preakness. Some experts say the race should be pushed back to give horses more recovery time. Head on wake up call. At five five, diplomatic sparks flew at the White House this week when Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney firmly told President Trump that Canada is not for sale. We're going to dive into the implications there. And if five twenty, big changes are shaking up the tech world. Amazon is pushing back on Apple, Samsung is reinventing how we pay each other in Google's new Pixel may just be the best phone deal of the year. We're going to talk to Rich on tech. And at five point thirty five, the new Marvel movie Thunderbolts already has a new title. We're going to tell you what it is and why some say this is the best Marvel movie in a long time. And if I point fifty, imagine waking up in a home designed by Disney Imagineers, the crystal clear lagoon just steps away. Well, we're going to tell you all about Cotino and how you could enjoy some magic with modern living. Then a six oh five, it's handled on the news. Four former employees of Smokey Robinson and his wife have accused him of sexual assault on multiple occasions. We'll talk about the case and what this means for the eighty five year old singer. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Five people have been arrested in connection with a deadly smuggling attempt off the coast of San Diego. The US Attorney's Office says three migrants died and a fourth is presumed dead after a pangaboat capsized near Del Mar. A ten year old girl and a fourteen year old boy from India were among the victims. Their parents are in the hospital. Two Mexican nationals have been charged with human smuggling and three others have been arrested for driving eight migrants from the scene. A fight over elephants at the La Zoo made his way to the City council budget committee.
Speaker 3: Keeltelman Bob Bloomenfield says, the La Zoo you can't just ship its last two old elephants off to Tulsa without authorization from him and his colleagues.
Speaker 4: This is a decision that the council must be part of.
Speaker 3: Zoo Director Denise Verrett was before the Council's Budget Committee part of the budget process when the fight over Billy and Tina came up. Bloomfield says it might be cheaper to put them in a different sanctuary. Arrett says she would not promise she would not send the elephants to Oklahoma before Council has an opportunity to act. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 2: Joining me now is ABC's Karen Travers. Good Morning, Karen, Good morning. All right, let's start with the obvious here. What's prompting President Trump to again suggest Canada should become the fifty first state? And how serious is he really about this?
Speaker 5: I mean, he's just interested in this, and you know, it's sort of a thing where when the President gets an idea in his head, he's just not letting it go. Before, it was like a trolling thing about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau because they had a tense relationship. He liked to call him Governor Trudeau, and there was a sense that there might be a chance of a reset of the US Canada relationship, or at least his relationship with the leader of Canada. With the election of Prime Minister Mark Kearney. He came to the White House yesterday. We had talked to White House officials and said, you know, is he going to bring up the fifty first state thing? And they said probably because he's just this is something he is interested in. How serious is he? You get a little bit of a shrug reaction from people, But it came up yesterday. Mark Carney said very firmly that you know, there are places in real estates that are not for sale. He was trying to appeal to the President's development mentality. He said, Buckingham Palace, the place we're sitting in right now, referred to the Oval Office, not for sale. And he said over the months that he traveled as a candidate in Canada, he heard from the owners of Canada that Canada is also not for sale and won't be ever well. The President's response to that numerous times was never say never, never say never, smiling kind of joking issues. They had these moments back and forth, but it was very clear neither side is going to give this one up. Mark Kearney is not budging. Of course, Canada is not budging. And the President kind of kept needling him on this over the course of their meeting.
Speaker 2: All right, So the President is also refusing to lift these tariffs of up to twenty five percent on Canadian goods. So how are those tariffs affecting Canada's economy at this point?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's the more significant issue in terms of actual substance. There is a twenty five percent tariff on many Canadian goods, the ten percent tariff on Canadian oil imports, the twenty five percent tariff on cars autoparts stealing aluminum. It is, you know, impacting Canadian the Canadian economy. Down's not going to have an impact here. I mean, we're hearing this from automakers about their concerns about what this is going to do. We're hearing about this in border towns along the US Canada border on the US side of it, about how this is impacting them. So there were questions yesterday about what Carnee could say or do to get the President to lift the tariffs. He said nothing, not a thing. This is just the way it is right now, but indicated that maybe broadly speaking, they could have conversations about trade and tariffs as they renegotiate the US Mexico Canada Free Trade Agreement over the next year and a half. It's due for a renegotiation in twenty twenty six. It's an important piece of this. There is a free trade agreement that he as president in his first term, negotiated, signed with great fanfare. But these tariffs he's put in place now have thrown that trade agreement into disarray.
Speaker 2: Now all of the political theater aside. You know, whether Trump's intentions are true to make this fifty first state or not. What is really at stake here for both countries if these tensions continue to escalate, especially with so much trade and security cooperation a place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's a big question that I think is not known yet as it plays out. Canada is one of our top trading partners obviously, and also a big partner on security.
Speaker 6: Issues as well.
Speaker 5: And that was the question came up yesterday and both leaders were pledging cooperation. The president was asked what concessions he wants to see from Canada, and he said, friendship. He just wants to see friendship and good cooperation.
Speaker 2: Oh, he just wants to be friends. That sounds so nice.
Speaker 5: Friend as he puts massive terariffs on our neighbors to.
Speaker 2: The north exactly, that's what all good friendships start with asolutely. Well, we'll be interested to see how this continues to play out. Thank you so much, Karen, have a great rest of your.
Speaker 7: Day, you too.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Amazon's Zookes that's zox is issuing a software recall for two hundred and seventy of its robotaxis after a crash in Las Vegas last month. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report, the recall surrounds a defect with a defect with the vehicle's automated driving system that could cause it to inaccurately predict the movement of another car and increase the quote risk of a crash. Recall follows an incident where an occupied to Zouke's robotaxi collided with a passenger vehicle. A new survey shows many people are having fewer kids these days.
Speaker 8: A lot of pearents in the US are rethinking the number of children they can afford due to rising costs associated with raising children. According to a recent lending Tree survey, seventy seven percent of respondents said raising children has been more expensive than they expected, and forty six percent of parents with young kids said they have fewer due to financial constraints. Lending tre says the cost of raising a child is nearly three hundred thousand dollars. Data shows the annual cost of raising a child has jumped thirty six percent over the past two years. Deborah mark Koffive News.
Speaker 2: Four former housekeepers are suing motown singer Smokey Robinson for at least fifty million dollars. Attorney John Harris says the women were subjected to rape and sexual assault at Robin's home in Robinson's home in Chatsworth, Las Vegas, and Bell Canyon.
Speaker 9: These courageous for women have collectively decided to come forward and share their experiences of being sexually assaulted by mister Smokey Robinson and stand up for their rights as well as the rights of other women.
Speaker 2: The lawsuit alleges that Robinson forced himself on the women multiple times, generally while his wife, Francis, was out of the home. Robinson's wife is also named in the lawsuit for allegedly contributing to a hostile work environment. San Diego Senator Brian Jones says gas could jump above eight dollars a gallon in California if the state doesn't change its refinery policies.
Speaker 7: There are two refineries that have announced their closing. Phillip sixty six is going to close by the end of this year, and Valero has said they're going to close theirs by April of next year. Those two refineries, just those two alone make up twenty percent of California's refinery capacity.
Speaker 2: The Senator calling on the governor in state lawmakers to change the refining policies in California ahead of the announced closures, which cover twenty percent of the capacity in the state. The Supreme Court has ruled President Trump's ban on transgender members of the military can take effect for now. ABC Stephen Portnoy says the decision yesterday sets aside a lower court decision that blocked the ban from taking effect.
Speaker 3: It means the military can begin discharging transgender service members while the case plays out. The Trump administration argues that his owned substantial deference when it comes to how it runs the military.
Speaker 2: The court's three liberal justices say they would have left the order in place. The man arrested after crashing his car into a gate at Jennifer Aniston's home in bel Air, apparently had a thing for her. ABC's Alex Stone says forty eight year old Jimmy Wayne was arrested on Monday.
Speaker 3: Law enforcement sources to ABC News they believe his act was intentional, but why is not clear.
Speaker 2: It's not evident he was targeting Anniston, but Wayne did post about Aniston on social media, saying he loves her and that unnamed forces were keeping them apart, especiallyzed LAPD Unit is investigating. Wayne is currently being held for felony vandalism. Starting today, travelers must present a real ID or another tsa approved form of ID to board domestic flights and access certain federal facilities. Real IDs are marked with a star and require proof of identity, social Security number, and residency. Without one, passengers may face delays and additional screenings at airports. A man has been sent to fifteen years to life for helping murder celebrity hairdresser Fabio sem and Tilly, a plot to prosecutor say was masterminded by the victim's wife, Christopher Austen, testifying against her, and a second accomplice, both now facing life sentences. A Chicago homeowner says he moved in with alleged squatters after discovering them living in his property. The police couldn't remove the couple citing civil law, so marco Velaskeez decided to stay overnight himself. Eventually negotiated with a couple and pay them forty three hundred bucks to leave. Pretty smart. Might as well just get out of the money and say get out of here. At six so five and handle on the news, America's top brass is meeting with leaders in China to talk trade. We're going to tell you why they're meeting in Switzerland and why some are calling this an icebreaker meeting. But first we're going to talk about AI power, shortcuts in Windows, to tap to pay tricks on your Samsung. We're going to break down the latest gadgets and updates that can make your life easier, maybe even save you some money. Joining us to explain what's worth your time and what is just high Biscayfvice tech guy rich Toimuro from rich on Tech, Good morning.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning to you, Heather. Thanks for that great intro.
Speaker 2: Oh you're welcome. It's so nice to talk with you. This is one of my favorite segments. Yeah, let's talk about Windows. They just got a lot smarter with AI. So how exactly does this new feature work and could it change how we interact with our devices?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's actually quite interesting. Windows has been going through a major evolution. Obviously, Microsoft one of the biggest investors in open AI, so they've been building a lot of the AI features into Windows software through Copilot, which is, you know, their sort of version of Chatchy BT and so you know, things have been changing. But one of the things that they're adding, which I thought was really cool, is this idea of AI to change the settings on your computer. How many times have you looked at your mouse and you're like, I wish that mouse cursor was bigger, or I wish that my screen would turn off after four minutes and not one minute, or I want my screen, you know, my keyboard, you know, I want a different a German keyboard.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 4: Now you can literally just go into the settings and ask for what you want to change. The AI will figure out what you're trying to say and it will do it for you. That's a big shift in how we work with our computers.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that sounds fun. I mean definitely the mouse size. Sometimes, especially here when we're kind of following our stories, it's like where where's my cursor? Where to to go? Plus I'm getting old, so it's hard for me to see things, so that would.
Speaker 4: Be also I find I find sometimes, you know, making the zoom a little bit better is a little bit bigger is better. But the other thing is that you know, you may find settings that you didn't even know you could do, Like maybe you just didn't even Hey, where's my emoji keyboard?
Speaker 1: You know, and it brings that up.
Speaker 4: So it's like, it's just the idea of like, to me, AI is really opening up this idea of natural language computing, Like we just ask what we want to do, and it helps us do that. And I think we're going to see that with all of our devices over time.
Speaker 2: I love that. All right. So Amazon is finally letting users make in app purchases on iPhones, and to be honest, I thought we could already do that. What is what am I missing here? I thought, when I go on my Amazon, I can make app purchases.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, this is a this is a big shift in the way that Apple does business. Because we had a court say, hey, you have to let consumers and developers, you know, lead consumers to third party payment methods on the iPhone. So right now, on the iPhone, basically, if you make any sort of purchase, you know, and I'm not talking the Amazon app where you're making like a purchase of something that you're shipping to your house. I'm talking the Kindle app. Specifically, you couldn't buy an ebook from the Kindle app for many years because Amazon would have to give a thirty percent cut to Apple for all those ebooks, and of course they're not going to do that because that's just a lot of money they're going to waste. And so now with this court ruling that says you have to offer alternative payment links and iOS apps, all these major developers have been updating their apps to be easier where you can subscribe. Now in the app, you can get alternative payment solutions. You can be led to a website that lets you pay outside the app. And so Amazon has updated their app immediately and now you can actually purchase an ebook through that app. It's not going to it's kind of weird to that leads you to the Amazon website still, so it's not a perfect system. But at the same time, this has been a major shift in the way developers can offer consumers better and different payment methods on the I Phone outside of the app store, and we're seeing Spotify update their app, We're seeing Patreon update their app. Pretty much every major app maker is getting on board because it saves them about thirty percent off the top.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, that's going to be really handy. That's going to be really helpful. Okay, let's talk about Samsung. Their new tap to transfer payment features sounds a little too easy, but is this sort of the future of peer to peer payments.
Speaker 4: I just thought this was super cool because you know the idea that you you know right now when you like the other day I had to pay someone. I was like, do you have Venmo? And he's like sure, He's like, I'd rather use Zel. I'm like, okay, well I don't really want to use Zel. Can we use Venmo? And then he has to transfer the money to his bank account. So it was like this whole thing. Whenever it comes to paying someone, you have to figure out, like which payment app do they use? Right, Well, Samsung is now letting you literally tap someone's debit card right to your phone, so you can just tap their card to your phone and transfer the money. So if you're like, hey, you know you owe me thirty bucks for dinner, I don't. Yeah, just literally tap your debit card to my phone and the thirty dollars will transfer to me. So I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's like to pay the store. When we check out, we do the tap to check.
Speaker 4: Out exactly, except imagine your phone is now like the cash registered checkout thing. So I just thought it was kind of thing, a neat thing. Now Apple has introduced a similar feature. I'm not sure that many people use it, but it requires it's not just your regular card that give to tap your two iPhones together and you can exchange cash. I have not used that feature, so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I know they did advertise something at one of their events about that. I'm not sure how widely that's used. But this is kind of cool because it's just your debit card. You're like, hey, tap your card.
Speaker 2: Tap your card. That's so cool. Okay, really quickly, before we let you go. You just reviewed the Pixel nine A for KTLA. What makes this phone a standout?
Speaker 4: I mean really the price four hundred and ninety nine dollars. It's got everything you need. It's got a great design, it's got great AI, it's got an excellent camera, seven years of software support, so there's really nothing inside this phone. Like if you just want a value phone, this is going to be a fantastic device for the next five to seven years. And the only downside I found is that a lot of the premium phones now have satellite connectivity. So if you're in the middle of nowhere and you need to dial nine one one, you can do that over satellite, or at least call for help over satellite. This phone does not have that feature, which is one sort of downside. But otherwise, if you can live with that, this is a great device for five hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if I'm ever ready to give up my iPhone. I know that's terrible, but I.
Speaker 4: Know that one say, I know this is Android. So but the iPhone has the iPhone sixteen E, which is six hundred dollars, and it's also a great value.
Speaker 2: All right, good to know, all right, everybody, listen to Rich on Tech every Saturday from eleven to two on KFI. You can see him every day on KTLA and follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech, and of course go to his website rich on Tech dot tv. Rich Thank you so much, have a great morning, you too, Heather. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Democrats are reversed course on a child sex trafficking bill. Assembly democrats announced an agreement to amenda bill strengthening California law on solicitation of minors. Recently, state democrats stripped the bill, but under the agreement, the bill will impose felony penalties for adults that solicit sex from a sixteen or seventeen year old. The bill is expected to be heard before committee later today. President Trump says he's not paying for California's high speed rail. He criticized the project yesterday and says it's quote totally out of control.
Speaker 7: Hundreds of billions of dollars for this stupid project that should have never been built.
Speaker 2: Very little has been even though voter Very little has been done, even though voters approved it in two thousand and eight. It's years behind schedule and one hundred billion dollars over budget. The Dodgers are taking over the Marlins in Miami today with first pitch at one forty. Listen to all Dodgers games on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Boot and stream all Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. A brutal murderer rocked a luxury Valley Village apartment complex last month, but residents say the danger hasn't left. New security footage shows unknown men still roaming the halls at night, raising fears and questions about building security and police progress in the case. President Trump plans to announce that the US will officially refer to the Persian Gulf as the quote Arabian Gulf during his upcoming trip to Saudi Arabia. This move aligns with the preferences of Arab nations, but is strongly opposed by Iran, which views the traditional name as integral to its heritage. The decision is expected to provoke regional tensions and has already sparked some controversy. Panda Express is celebrating AAPI Heritage Month with a pop up karaoke booth starting on May nine. Here in La you can step into a giant takeout box and belt out your favorite tunes. That sounds like a lot of fun. Then it's six oh five. It's handled on the news. Trump says he just wants to be friends with Canada. That might not happen. We're gonna tell you why.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: This is the portion of the show where I'm told Amy does, Amy's on It, and Amy is not here today. I'm Heather Brooker. I'm in for Amy King. I don't think I said that. At the top of this segment. She's on vacation and she told me to just do my version of Amy's on It, So I'm gonna do. Heather has it? Yeah, da da all right. Intro music, the music. One of my favorite things. One of the things I'm most passionate about are Marvel movies. It's something my family and I really look forward to every time there's a new Marvel series or Marvel film that comes out. And this most recent film is called Thunderbolts, and it really took the box office by storm. It's doing really well at the box office, and it's introduced a darker, more introspective chapter into the MCU. We are the Thunderbolts. Can't call ourselves that God, thank you. That's right. The Thunderbolts is in theaters now, and I'm gonna tell you a few of the highlights. Now, there's maybe some spoilers in here, So if you haven't seen Thunderbolts yet, not too you won't be. There won't be anything I will spoil for you. Essentially, one thing that's happening right now is that they have done this marketing push where they have re titled or they're retitling it the New Avengers. So you may have noticed the asterisks in Thunderbolts. It wasn't just a stylistic choice there, but it foreshadows a major twist in the film. So in the film's climax, this is a bit of a spoiler here, the CIA director of Valentina, Allegra Defontaine, played by Julia Louis Dreyfus. She assembles the team and she kind of dubs them the New Avengers. That's supposed to signal a new era in the MCU. But there's been a, like I said, some fun marketing happening over town where the stars of the film like Lawrence Pugh and Sebastian Standarm and going through town and like ripping off the posters that say Thunderbolts and underneath it it says the New Avengers. So that's kind of a fun little marketing ploy. But you know, as of today on IMDb, it's still listed as the Thunderbolts, so I don't know if that's just for marketing or an official title change. So in this film, Lewis Pullman is the actor who plays Bob Reynolds aka Century, and this is our first introduction to Century and the Void. If you're a fan of MCU, this might be a little deep track for you, but please stay with me. I promise this is this is going somewhere. What's great about this character is it really adds some depth to the MCU. This is one of the first films to really tackle any sort of like deeper emotional struggle with these characters. They're more I feel like, out of all of the previous iterations of these films, these characters feel more real, they're more grounded. They're dealing with, you know, actual problems in their day to day lives, psychological struggles, loneliness, depressions, self doubt, and it's not like and don't get me wrong, the whole movie is not about that, but it certainly is a nice refreshing change and touches based with reality a lot more than some of the other films. It's very character driven. But in addition to that, there's still lots of great fights, lots of epic you know scenes, action scenes, and just a really fun movie. And it's getting a lot of great praise from critics and from fans. So I highly recommend Thunderbolts aka The New Avengers if you haven't seen it yet. All right, so that was Heathers has It? That was my Heathers has it. We'll see if I get to do it again. Of they're like, never do that again. For now we are going to do We have Courtney. Yay, we have Courtney. Let's get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, good morning.
Speaker 10: I was waiting for get up in your Business.
Speaker 2: I know I don't want to get a call from the boss, but maybe I should just for this week. They'll be like, Heather's never coming back, but it's all right, Yes, let's get up in your business Courtney. Instacart is rolling out a new app that will deliver a party to you. What is that about?
Speaker 11: You know, I know it's early in the morning, but the markets have been rough and I'm always looking for.
Speaker 10: A party, and especially at this point. But instacart is ready to help you make that happen.
Speaker 11: Of course, this is a perfect opportunity to bring out that whole yeah from Eddie Murphy anytime. Instacart is launching a new service that helps groups order party snacks and drinks.
Speaker 10: The app is called Fizz, and here's how it all works.
Speaker 11: Multiple people can contribute to one order, pay for their own items, and then it's all gonna be delivered together for a five dollar fee.
Speaker 10: So this is good for all of those people, all those freeloader friends.
Speaker 2: You're gonna make them pay for all those people that try to out of paying for stuff exactly.
Speaker 11: But they're also partnering with invites at Party Fall, which will allow users to link their orders to an events page.
Speaker 10: So the hope is that younger folks will start with Fizz and.
Speaker 11: Then eventually moved to Instacart as their lives evolve and they moved to the suburbs.
Speaker 2: All right, you get that big costco Order's No, that's a really good idea. I love that, all right. So shares of Disney jumping in early trading. Entertainment Giant reporting quarterly earnings that topped Wall Street expectations.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So a number of major companies in the past couple of days have pulled their financial forecast because of all the trade issues that have been going on. But economic worries seem to not be getting in Disney's way. The entertainment trine raising its outlook for the years, so they see a good year ahead for themselves. Disney seeing faster than expected growth at its theme parks, more visitors trek to California resorts and also to Florida.
Speaker 10: Holiday package sales also helped, and price.
Speaker 11: Increases across its streaming services, including Disney Plus and Hulu, boost results. But they did make another announcement which is kind of interesting. They're announcing plans for its first theme park in the Middle East. So it's going to be a sprawling resort in Abu Dhabi. So this is going to be the first one that they've had since the Shanghai Disney resort, but that opened back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cool, all right. And Comcast has a new name for its spinoff of his cable channels.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so the.
Speaker 11: Cable channels MSNBC, CNBC, USAE.
Speaker 10: I could go on and on and on.
Speaker 11: Comcasts spun them off. We heard about this in November. They announced plans to divest most of its cable networks into this new publicly traded company. But they have a new name for it, and it's called Versant. Cable has definitely been a drag on Comcast business. Consumers continue to cancel their PATV services. They're heading off to streaming options like Netflix. But just to know, Comcast is keeping NBC. They're also keeping Peacock that's your streaming service.
Speaker 10: And Bravo.
Speaker 11: They can't get rid of Van Cohen and also Telemundo that's staying with Comcast to Bravo. One of the reasons is it does quite well in streaming, and Telemundo they see as a growth market for themselves.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a lot of people love the Bravo. Stocks are heading for Housewives of Everything, Owives of Everything. Yeah, oh, I watch it all. And stocks are heading for a higher open ahead of the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 10: Yes, the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 11: They wrap up their two day interest rate meeting later today traders are expecting the Fed to stay on hold while waiting to see how the trade war is evolving.
Speaker 10: So we are seeing Dow futures rising two hundred points.
Speaker 11: Also on the radar today for investors, weight Watchers has filed for bankruptcy. The company they tried to ride that weight loss drug wave. They offered a few on their platform, but they found it quite challenging to convince people that its programs were still worth their time.
Speaker 2: All right, Courtney, thank you so much, and we'll talk to you again tomorrow.
Speaker 9: See you later.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. California's Attorney General says the La County DA's office should remain on the Menendez brothers resentencing case. Their lawyer has filed court papers to try to remove d'a Hawkman, saying he's biased. A. G. Rob Bonta's office says the defense has not shown evidence to meet the standards for throwing the office off the case. A hearing is set for Friday. More than one hundred and thirty cardinals in Rome are beginning the centuries old ritual to elect a new pope ABC's Inez de la Kutera says the conclave is highly secretive.
Speaker 12: Inside the Sistine Chapel, tables are set with police cards for each cardinal in ballots at each seat. The cardinals will be cut off from the world, voting up to four times per day, twice in the morning, twice in the evening.
Speaker 2: The Dean of the College of Cardinals presides over a mass this morning, urging the voters to set aside all personal interests and find a pope who prizes unity. He says the world today needs a leader who can awaken consciousness. Ellie County is surveying school districts on how they're informing undocumented families of their rights. Supervisor Hilda Salise says recent visits by federal agents to LA schools have sparked fear, but praise lausd for turning the agents away. Ellie County DA Nathan Hawkman says twenty five animal cruelty cases have been filed in recent weeks, including eighteen felonies. He's pledging zero tolerance, calling abuse a warning sign for future violence. And we're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, We're going to talk about the case of Smokey Robinson. He's being sued for sexual assault by four ex employees. Right now, Disney is bringing its storytelling magic to real life with Katino, a luxury dessert community, luxury desert community with nearly two thousand homes, a massive man made lagoon, and a whimsical touch is inspired by Disney Tails. But what does it mean to live inside the magic Well? Joining me now to talk about Katino is Yolandacaid, vice President of Communications for Disney Signature Experiences. So let's just jump right in. I had the pleasure a few weeks ago of heading out to the desert and seeing firsthand Coatino. Tell me a little bit about this property. If someone who has not heard of this before, what can they expect when they go see Kotino.
Speaker 6: So, Katino, which is the very first story living by Disney community, is really just a very special place, and there are a lot of reasons for that. One of that really starts with a concept behind the community, and we're often asked, you know what makes it different, unique and special. I'll start with wealt Disney World Imagineering, who many people are familiar with the great work that they do in our parts and our attractions, that they really brought their talents to bear here because they were really inspired by all of the natural being and the magic that you find in the Coachella Valley.
Speaker 10: I'm sure you saw that.
Speaker 6: When you were there. I was just there recently myself at the community, and it's just a special place already. But when we think about what it really meant to Walt himself, what many people don't know is that Walt Disney actually found a lot of inspiration and that this was a place of rejuvenation for him. In fact, he and his wife they had a home in the area for many years, so we thought it was the perfect place for the very first story living you know by Disney community. So it's really apropos that we're there now.
Speaker 2: When people hear about a living community designed by Disney imagineers, I think what comes to mind is maybe you're going to see mouse ears everywhere, lots of touches of Disney. But this didn't feel like that. Like there were definitely some you know, nods to Disney, but it's not like a theme part.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the great things, as you said, about our Walt Disney imagineers, is that they are known for bringing creativity and inspiration and so we've brought the best of that year to bear. But this is not a theme part uh, but it brings the very best that Disney is known for, quality service and right we're really bringing this community to life through you know, the amenities that we're offering, but our residents are really going to enjoy just an incredible lifestyle. You know, they'll be able to to choose. For example, as I talk about the amenities, one of the things that makes it special is a volunteery on site club which is called the Artisan Club, and that's where they'll be able to really explore, you know, their their passions and there'll be a lot of Disney touches and fused there with our Disney service. But most importantly, you know, it will be operated you know by our Disney you know cast members, which will be offering a number of things. So if you can think about having you know, a monthly speaker series where you can hear everything from Disney experts or storytellers, you know, food and wine events. You know, with this the backdrop of Patino Bay, which I'm sure you saw when you were there as well, Heather and the stunning mountains. It's simply going to be fit calcular. Now, when you think about a great Disney story, there's one I will call out and you probably had a chance to see the par House that is coming to life there. That's going to be a multi purpose event venue available for overnight stays and for special events. Now, the design, if it's sound familiar, is inspired by the par Family's house from Disney and Pixar's Incredibles two. So that may ring a bome for people. So the Pixar artists actually found their original inspiration for the family's home right there in Cachell in Coachella Valley, So you know, it was only fitting for us to build the par House here. So our imagineers then in turn work with the Pixar artists and they were able to design some really creative you know concepts, you know, inspired by the film and incorporated that into the homes detail, you know, the details of the home. So just a very special place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it looks really cool. And one of the things that was interesting too is that this is in many ways a standard housing development. People can go in, they can pick their floor plan, the type of house that they want to build it and then customize you know, the features and and you know, maybe they work with an imagineer to pick out certain types of tapestries and you know, those sorts of things. What are some of the phases that are going to be rolling out in the next few months, are in the next few years. Rather, I understand there's going to be a big shopping center like a town center area.
Speaker 6: Next year. We're looking forward to the opening of Katino Town Center. It will be open to the public. So again it's going to provide you know, just a nice amenity there in the community. So that town center, it's actually going to be offer a mix of shopping. There'll be dining with local and national brands. Will also be an open air artist market, along with public access to Katino Bay for a fee. So this will, uh, you know, really be a centerpiece of the community. And from a resident standpoint, you know, I was saying earlier, how you think of having everything within your community. You know, you can walk, ride your bike, drive, or just drive your golf cart over to the Katino Town Center. You can shop, you can have dinner in the community or at the town center. So again, lots of offerings and I have to tell you. I'm really excited to share with you that our first residents officially have their keys and they'll be moving in soon. So this fall, we're excited, you know, for the opening of an artisan club, you know, that includes the parhouse that we just talked about. A club members will field to also enjoy Katino Bay and you know, all the amazing amenities. So again, lots of excitement, and you know, we can't wait for our residents in the community to experience it.
Speaker 2: You know what I was telling people here sort of about this community. They had one big question, if you buy a house in Katino, does it come with free Disneyland tickets?
Speaker 6: Well, if I will tell you if if we have a conversation and we're not asked that every single time, I'm telling you, I would be surprised. And it's a natural question. And so you know, there are lots of amenities and lots of ways that we're going to be bringing to the experience to life. But no, right now, that is not a part of the plan. You know, home that comes to clip with tickets in this case. You know, the park is just you know a short drive away. But we're excited, you know, to provide a special place in a special community that they can call home.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it sounds like a magical place and I cannot wait to go back and see how it's all come together over the next few years. So yo wanta, thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Get ready to sing your heart out. Panda Express is launching Panda Ok, a karaoke pop up experience and select locations in nationwide to celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Starting a ninth here in LA Guests can step into a seven foot talled takeout booth to perform thirty second renditions of their favorite hits. The experience will also be in Nashville, Chicago, and Austin through June. Well, I for one, say sign me up, Oh no, I will be there. Come on KFI outing Little Panda Ok. Thank you guys so much for listening today. Handle is on the way. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up Call. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app