Speaker 1: Caaloroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey man, I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news, the daily briefing on stand up comedy comedians in the comedy industry. Acent is the Algorithm Loves. Nicki Glazer will not be roasting Kevin Hard. She is sitting out the roast of Kevin Hart part of the Netflix is a Joe Comedy Festival. Niki Glazer said, I do not have the time right now in my schedule to commit to giving it what I want to give it. I love it, and when I work hard at it, I kill it. But I just don't have the time to work hard at it. And I just recently roasted Kevin Hard at the Golden Globes. I roasted him at the Tom Brady Roast. I'm coming up short with short chokes, if you know what I'm saying. Nicki has a special coming out on April twenty fourth. It's called Good Girl. It'll be on Hulu. And you know my opinion on Hulu, that's where you go when you're slightly past peak, watch out for the Curse of Hulu. There, Nicki Glazer and everyone's welcome to go through the list of Hulu comedy specials and point out where I'm wrong, but I'm not sure I am, Nicki said. I'm terrified for it to come out because it has a lot of jokes I've told on the road for years. It's always fun to do these jokes in front of a crowd that's not recording, and you feel free to just say crazy stuff. But then they go, we're gonna put it on tape, and you go, that's great. Then you watch it in the edit and you're like, wait, everyone's gonna see this and there's gonna be comments on this. I love doing it and I'm crazy and while in the moment and uninhibited, but then afterwards, I don't want to talk about it. I want to hear what it sounded like. I don't want to hear what I said or what I did. This is reminding me. I'm going to right now leave myself a note for Friday. For Comedy stock Market, we are going to sell I'll tell you right now, we are gonna sell Nicki Glazer. Not that we don't love Nicki Glazer, but we don't trust that Hulu comedy brand. So the comedy stock Market, as you know, is where we try and find value, and we might want to sell high on NICKI. You know what I'm saying. I might have to head up to Jamestown, New York in August. That's where you will find the National Comedy Center and the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival. This year's headliners Jerry Seinfeld, Bert Krascher, and Seth Myers. Jerry the headliner Thursday, August sixth, Bert on Saturday eighth, Seth Myers on the ninth. So what's happening on Friday the seventh, John, It's the stand Up Showcase, featuring a lineup of talent from across the country. Former guest on this program Jerrenny Gunderson. She's the executive director of the Center and said the National Comedy Center's museum and archive were established to celebrate the art forms, distinct voices and contributions throughout time, and this year's festival brings together the artists who represent distinct approaches to the craft. Let's see Jerry Seinfeld, Bert Krascher, They're doing two very different things. Seth Myers, you know, it is not like Burt at all. Is more like Jerry than Burt. But yeah, okay. Additional artists Scheduled to appear include Carol Leefer, whose writing credits include Seinfeld and Kerb, Gina Brillan, Jenny Zigrino, and Drew Dunn. The festival will feature more than fifty live events over four days, including late night comedy, block parties, live music, and more. Now I thought it was interesting they shared the bios for the headliners. Not that you don't know who Jerry Seinfeld is if you're listening to me, but let's just see what Jerry Seinfeld's bio is here in twenty twenty six. Seinfeld saw his comedy career take off after his first appearance on The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson in nineteen eighty one. Eight years later, he teamed up with Larry David to create Seinfeld, Widely regarded as one of the most successful and influential comedy series in television history. The show ran for nine seasons, earning numerous Emmy, Golden Globe, and People's Choice awards, and was later named the greatest television show of all time by TV Guide and the best sitcom ever in a sixty minutes Vanity Fair poll. We'll have to debate that sometime. It's in the conversation about best sitcom ever. Is Seinfeld the greatest television show of all time all genres? I don't know about that, But if it's not that, then what I'll just make a quick case for the tonight show. Bert krisis bio tells us Bert has evolved from Rolling Stones number one party here in the nation to one of the top grossing stand up comedians the world and a powerhouse entrepreneur, actor, producer, content creator, and entertainment brand. Hey Bert Preischer, people, you don't want to describe anyone as an entertainment brand like that. That just makes you uncool, like I know Kevin Hart does that. You're not an entertainment brand. You don't want to be that. You want to be a man of the people who doesn't wear a shirt. You don't want to be an entertainment brand. Let your agent say that on the side when they're doing deals, but don't publicly describe yourself as an entertainment brands. It's a It's not that it's not cool, but it's uncool. No, uncool means like you're being jerky. It's the opposite of cool. Put it that way. Kreischer has parlayed his signature comedy and authenticity into a dynamic media empire. You're trying too hard with this bio. Back this down, the Seth Meyers bio tells us. Seth Myers is an Emmy Award winning writer, New York Times best selling author and host of Late Night with Seth Myers since twenty fourteen, watched by hundreds and hundreds of people. Seth Meyers began his career on Setriday Night Live, where he spent thirteen seasons as a cast member, including nine seasons as head writer, in eight seasons as anchor of Weekend Update. He has earned thirty three nominations for his work in television. He has released two acclaimed stand up specials, Lobby Baby and Seth Meyers Dad Man Walking, and continues to perform stand up nationwide. Myers also co edlines a residency with John Oliver in New York and collaborates on multiple podcasts with The Lonely Island Guys. Now here's some fun behind the scenes. I don't know what happened here in my script that I'm working off. I've got the information from the National Comedy Center.
Speaker 1: We just did.
Speaker 2: I also have an interview David crossed with the La Times. Now, what I can't explain is whatever my document did, it mixed the two. So as I've been scrolling down here telling you about the festival, every other paragraph has been from the David Cross thing. It is the weirdest thing like here. So if you were reading my script, it says David Cross, Jamestown, then the Jerry stuff, and then after mentioning Bert Kraser, it goes into David Cross saying, my thing's never been about crowd work. This is the most confusing thing, but I'll deal with it. Could I edit this? I could, but that's not fun. I like to share with you guys what's going on. David Cross until the La Times. My thing has never been about crowd work. I like engaging with it. It's kind of a nice distraction from the set that you've been doing one hundred times, one hundred and fifty times at that point. So it's always fun to have the thing happened and that feeling of spontaneity. If it were scripted, it wouldn't have been as good. The guy had talked to you during his new special about hiking Machu Pichu with Bob Odenkirk that's Chef's kiss. And then the next paragraph is back to the National Comedy Center, so I don't know what happened here, And then the paragraph after that is speaking of Bob Odenkirk. You guys have this long relationship. I don't know what happened to this document. This has never happened before, so I got to scrawl to audio. So the question is about working with Bob Odenkirk. David Cross tells the La Times before there was even Mister Show what would ultimately become Mister Show, when we got together to write sketches for this bigg kount of Comedy collective thing, and the shows would do with each other for each other, and the stuff would write together was like real good, easy writing, one person adding this thing, one person saying here's a switch, yeah, and another person adding this thing in. It was fun. It's cool. Still is one thing Bob doesn't get enough credit for is he's a really decent human being. And with all the awfulness in the world that's magnified, every sense is bombarded with it, just good to be hanging with somebody whose energy is a good person, a decent person, and an equitable nice guy. So that's good as well. The Only Times asked David Cross, what are your thoughts on what a comedy special is nowadays or what it should be? Great question. David Cross agrees because he said, I mean that's a great question. He says, I think anybody who plays with the form, whether I think it's funny or not, is different. But I'm happy when anybody kind of tries to at least play with a form. I just went to Rory Skoles taping last week of his latest special. I don't know when that will air, but if you've seen the beginning to his first special, stuff like that where you're like, wait, what's happening, what's going on? I love stuff like that. It's giving ahead. Cross said, I don't know, O, can eighteen thousand people in arena really relate to a billionaire talking about how they're gonna get canceled? I mean that's the thing. I guess. Well, we're gonna find out if the Netflix is a Joe comedy all. If nothing else, go see. Luisi ke Grass said, these other big, slick specials that are shot in like a thirty two hundred seat, thirty five hundred seed theater just feels like Oh, this person's up there and I'm listening to their jokes. There's nothing wrong with that. They're often very funny jokes, but it doesn't go beyond that. It's just like, all right, tell me your joke. It might as well just be an audio thing, you know. Let's check in at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. I've pulled four clips for you today. On a Monday, I thought we could play a bunch of a stand up comedy. Now I think what this illustrates is the different things you can see at a comedy festival. These four people I'm going to play for you are not household names, are not famous here in the States. Perhaps the mileage will vary if you are from down Under, and as we're about to hear, varying degrees of subjective opinion quality. And for me, when you go to a comedy festival, always go see smaller shows. Not everything's gonna be awesome, but sometimes someone is, and those are the moments that you will treasure. All Right, I've got four clips. My favorite one is the fourth one. My second favorite is the first one. So that is the sequencing here for the roller coaster ride. We're about to go on First Up, here's Rachel Hornbuckle. Her show is called Skin Deep and Meaningful.
Speaker 3: And it's Rachel. I'm from Queensland, so if I say anything you don't like, fair enough. I'm from a small country town in Queensland called Brisbane. And while we're on bad things about me, I'm a real bad driver. I recently got into a very bad car accident, completely right off the other car. Mine's fine, No, I did write off both cars. But I was into womber at the time, and I took it to a mechanic and he told me he could fix it, and he kept calling me love, so I was like, yeah, I trust him. But now this car breaks down all the time. All the time. This car's breaking down. Most recent things started leaking oil, so to take it to a new mechanic and I couldn't unders dan what he was saying to me. And I really wanted him to man explain to me. And I could tell he wanted to as well, but like you can't, and he was like, that's your transmission oil. I was like, oh, that sounds like an essential oil, right. I would have to be run off the next to lavender or seedar wood or something and he was like, sorry, do you not know what transmission means? I was like, yeah, of course I do. I'm an ally.
Speaker 2: Next up we have Jordan Barr. Jordan's show is called Choir Girl.
Speaker 4: I went to drama school. Just pretty cool. That's a yeah, great place to go if you want dirty feet in an eating disorder.
Speaker 1: Better, No, I do.
Speaker 4: I love cacao nibs so good. But I did enjoy being immersed in like drama. There was such I was a little wanka.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 4: I kept calling myself a thespian. I was like, I'm a thespian now I drink soy lattees. And then I left drama school and realized that I was actually a lesbian.
Speaker 2: Difference.
Speaker 4: Uh there. Then my partners, my partner has recently come out as non binary, so they then pronounce it's full circle, baby, I'm a thespian again.
Speaker 2: Now I thought that was kind of a hack joke. But back to how I set up this segment. You go to a comedy festival, you never know what you're going to get. That wasn't the most amazing thing I've ever heard. Next up, Abby Howell's show is called The cave and I'm gonna warn you we're gonna go a long way for a joke. Here. As I was pulling this audio, I was like, is this going anywhere? And just being a comedy snob, I'm like, this has to go somewhere unexpected, because otherwise this is just an awful story. So maybe I've spoiled it, maybe not, but we're breaking down comedy. I'm telling you how all this works. So here's Abby Howel's from the Kiev, And like I said, we're gonna go a long way for a punchline. And then you could tell me if this pays off.
Speaker 5: I thought I would spend my set listing some interesting things about myself so you get to know me a little bit of Okay, Fact number one may not come as a huge surprise, but two years ago I was diagnosed with autism and my first thought was, dang, shouldn't have got that vaccine. Like number two, I would be humiliated if anyone saw my social media presence, not because it's like freaky or anything like that, but because it is the opposite. You would see that all that I do is comment on this one woman's tiktoks, and this woman she lives in the north of England and she makes milkshakes and she's like, it's milkshake Monday. And then she makes the milkshake and she's like, calm back for part two for the taste test, and then part.
Speaker 2: Two is like it's quite nice. Actually it's always.
Speaker 3: Just quite nice.
Speaker 5: And I don't know what it is about this woman, but she has bewitched me body and soul, and I just do the lamest comments like yum, and like looks good girls save some for me, and liked kindo surprise next humiliating. So I think I need to mix it up. And how I'm gonna do that is interact more with porn online. But I'm just gonna do the same comments, just be like Yum, looks good girls save some for me, like do kindo surprise next, and the CIA agent who's like moditoring me will be like kinder supers. I've never even heard.
Speaker 2: Of that six position before.
Speaker 5: Abby is a freak.
Speaker 2: In next up. My favorite of the four clips today, Lloyd Langford's show is Okay, I believe you.
Speaker 1: I saw a poster in Melbourne the other day and it said are you aware that a tram weighs the same as thirty rhinos, and I was like, no, I'll be honest, I've never once contemplated the weight of the tram, pullly in terms of the rhino, but I am aware that a tram is heavy. If I'm crossing the street right and there's like a tram coming towards me, I'm not thinking I reconologist, dip the shoulder and then just carry on my merry week. I'll be honest with you. Right, if there's one rhino a sol right, you know, a Lorne wolf, right, you know, heading for me, I'm moving out the way. I'm like, on your gold mane, I think you have right your pottage here. However, thirty rye, Nos, I'll tell you what. Right I'm stopping. I'm getting my phone out of my pocket and I'm taking some photographs.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: As I listen to that, I hear a lot of Craig Ferguson, and I was curious because it's the Melbourne Australia International Comedy Festival, but note the word international in there. So I looked up Lloyd Langford, who I was unfamiliar with, and I learned that Lloyd at Langford as a Welsh comedian not that Craig Ferguson is Welsh, but okay, you know it's not like Lloyd Langford is from New Jersey for example. Anyway, I'm hearing a little similarity there, but I like Lloyd a lot. One more before we go, romy Yusef has announced a special. It is called Ramy Yusef in Love, his third hour long HBO original comedy special. It to be out April seventeenth. That's a Friday night at nine o'clock. So HBO, I thought we were building a brand where like the weird stuff appears on Friday. Oh, did we ever talk about what is his name? Julio Turis? Did I ever talk about that? I don't think I did. That was the special where I thought they had added a lot of laugh track to the trailer. I think they added a lot of laugh track to the actual special. I couldn't even make it like, I don't know. I was out on that really early. I was like I wanted to like this. My brain was lit up for like, okay, I'm in the mood for weird and just no hard pass on that one. That was rough. So I thought HBO was making Friday Night quirky night. Because we had Sarah Sherman and Chris Fleming and Julio Tauris. But now Rommy Yusef doesn't fit into that box. So I don't know. Friday Nights on HBO is Random Comedy Night. I guess I digress Rommy Usef in Love, filmed at the Hideout in Chicago. Rammy Useff playfully engages with the audiences. He approaches a vast spectrum of personal topics, ranging from marriage to AI, religion, and being a dog parent. Now, the first time I did that, I took it out. I made an edit for once, so they didn't put in an extra comment there. So I read it as ranging from his marriage to AI, religion, and being a dog parent. Maybe it is about his marriage to AI. I don't know who he's married to. I didn't do the homework anyway. The premise is you can find light and hope in all things if you just try to see them through a lens of love. Coming up at noon Eastern the Results of a Comedy Survivor. We'll see if Sebastian Manascalpo made it out alive or not, and then we'll be down to the final three. So come back at noon Eastern for comedy Survivor and I'll meet you back here then