Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Anne Paul pro one of my favorite people. Joining us see from Patriot Football Weekly WBC's Nightside, Gary Tangling for Dan Ray. Uh so, what do you think about Trump, Paul Paulie, I gotta tell you, I am I We're gonna talk football, We're gonna talk about the entire NFL. But I just I don't watch politics and I'm here, I am on WBC Radio, and that's the last thing I should probably be saying. And I just had two great conversations with people that do it, but like I can't after the election, I just can't do it. I'm just I get a migraine.
Speaker 3: It was tiring, I have to The election season was very tiring. I'll tell you that. I mean, I'm not the most Yeah, I'm not the most political guy either, but you know, obviously it's you know, it's a pretty relevant election and uh and it was. It was a lot going through. It was a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you're a smart guy. You know, you're well d you know what's going on. And I'm not going to ask you who you voted for or anything like that, but I mean, it was just nuts. I mean, there's definitely an exhaustion. And now when people say, oh the God Trump won, it's the end of the world. It's not the end of the world. We're gonna be fine. Everything is going to be fine. It's not the end of the world. Jesus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God, there's a lot of overreactions on both sides. That's a big part of the problem.
Speaker 2: That is a major part of the problem. So Paul, Paul, how are you doing this season? Because you've been with the Patriots f I first met you when you were with the Herald. How long have you been with the Patriots and Patriots dot com?
Speaker 3: Yeah, since nineteen ninety nine. You know, Pete Carroll's last year's is I think the twenty sixth season, and you know you're asking, you know, how we're doing. It's you know, listen, people aren't going to be holding any you know, gofundmes or anything for us. But it's been a different season than a difficult one. You know, they haven't played well. They haven't played well for the last couple of seasons. And you know, right now, you come off a game like like yesterday's and you know, it just doesn't really seem like there's as much of a light at the end of the tunnel beyond Drake May and and obviously that's not enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can get into the extras and os and all that stuff, but I mean, what's you're feeling when you walk around town or you know, do people care like they used to? Is there is there a hatred or I shouldn't even say a hatred because the Red Sox, when the Red Sox would lose, people would just go bananas, you know. Yeah, I don't get that same type of feeling with the Pats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it is either. You know, there was nothing kind of like that, you know, that Red Sox doom. But I would say it's not a hatred. I think it's more of just a disappointment and a frustration right now with you know, you saw how good it could be for so long and now I think people are just looking at it as you know, it's almost hopeless right now, and there's just not a lot of things going well. You know, I think there's some there's some questions out the you know, the the newness of everything, the new regime, and you know, there's a lot of first year there's a lot of first year guys doing things for the first time, so there's growing pains that come with that, and you know, I think there's a lot of frustration on the fans part. I don't necessarily sense a lot of hatred. I just think, you know, the Dolphins game in particular, I thought was kind of just sort of a very frustrat I think people felt like they were beyond those kinds of performances. You know, they they hadn't gotten to the point where they were a playoff contender or anything like that. But I think you watched that, you know, the they beat the Jets, they beat the Bears, you know, in between they had a game against you know who was it, the Rams that you know obviously went down to the last possession of the game, and I think people felt like, Okay, well they're competing, they're showing some signs of life. Offensively, you could see a track where they were they were getting toward respectability, and I think a lot of that took a huge step backwards down in South Florida on Sunday and it wasn't overly competitive, and I think there's a lot of frustration over that.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what I think when I was watching the game is for the first time since I'm gonna say before, look, I remember Rod Rust.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately I do too, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember Rod Rust and Sam was the GM from the University of Miami. I forgot his last name, and then yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, and then Dick McPherson is like, you know, and I'm not talking about losers like losers like losing games. I'm just talking about I looked at that team on Sunday and I thought, Okay, these guys are just like losers. I mean losers, losers, like do you even care? Can you even put in an effort? I saw a team that quit. I think the offensive line is just ill equipped. I mean fifty nine whoever hell that guy's name is. I mean, in the old days, he would have been gone. I mean he three penalties off the top, and you know, but the defense, I just thought that they quit. And that's when I say, like, like, losers like these are not at the level I think of dedication that we're accustomed to for a Patriot player. I mean, look, you know, you can have guys that aren't talented, but there was always an effort. I mean Russ Holstein is not a pro bowler, but you know there are guys that just got buy on effort. I didn't even see that pole.
Speaker 3: That's that. I mean, there was And that's part of what I'm talking about with the frustration level. And I don't know necessarily that it was effort as much as it was just poor play, you know, and certainly the discipline and whatnot has been lacking to focus, the attention to detail. Too many penalties, too many pre snap penalties. You said the thing, you know, fifty nine, you're talking about Venerian Low. He's really I mean, he really struggled yesterday. He had a just a bad game. When he wasn't jumping off side, he was given up pressure on the outside. So it was not it was not good enough in any really in any phase of the game. And defensively they just had no answers. So I think that's where the frustration comes in. You're not really competitive on either side of the ball against a four and sixteen, you know, it's it's not like Miami came in at you know ten and one detroit lyons that are you know, running rough shot over everybody. This was a team that that was, you know, sort of a middler, and they made you look like you were you were really one of the bottom teams.
Speaker 2: I mean the quarterback is average at best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he's not average against the Patriots in his career.
Speaker 2: I mean I looked at the seven and O, I said, you've got to be kiddyy. First of all, I feel bad for the guy. I don't think he should play. I think he's not going to know what he is when he's forty, and I wish he wouldn't play. But that's a whole other story. That's obviously his decision and how he makes a living. But look for that guy to light you up. I mean, that's it. That's just embarrassing. It's just it's just so. Here's my thing, though, is you know, and I listen. I know they're on another company, but you know, I'm listening to Mike and Tony and all of my old cronies there in sports radio, and they got a job to do, like they like, they keep telling you it's today, Paul. We have to do a show today, Paul, we have a show today. Here's my thing. I'm very patient, and after leaving the business full time, I'm a much kinder and gentler person. I was never I'm so relaxed. I gotta be honest with you, I really am. I don't miss any of it. I don't miss having to try to come up with a come up with a a confrontation, if you will, or a controversy. I just believe what really screwed them is Belichick left the cover dry. I mean, if you go back and you look at what Bill did after Brady left, they just and obviously he got in a pisson match because he didn't like the quarterback right, and then he put his guys in his offensive coordinators. And I just think it's going to take time to recover from the mess that Bill left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think there's a lot of truth to that. Listen, the roster is what it is, and and a lot of the roster problems fall on Belichick because of quite frankly, some very poor drafting over the last you know, call it eight or ten years. Oh yeah, and it's and it's just it's the reason one of the one of the biggest reasons obviously the biggest reason is Tom Brady, but one of the biggest reasons they were able to staining what they did for so long was just year after year of being able to replace guys in the draft with comparable or at times better players. You know, you're able to plug in, you know, Nate Solder is a first round pick for Matt Light and you're able to you know, just sort of keep the train moving in the right direction. And that I could give you that example at twenty different spots over the years, you know, just finding a Logan Mankins to put on the offensive line prout of the first round, you know, and replacing guys who go you know, go on to separate ways. And they just haven't been able to do that in the last let's call it seven years. They consistently have missed on draft picks and that's really set them back, and that falls on Belichick. He was in charge of all of that. The roster right now is really lacking in a lot of different areas. That's the one silver lining. You know, we talked about this on our post game show yesterday. The one silver lining to being a team in the situation that they're in is that you're going to have a top five picks. It's really advantageous to be able to pick absolutely anything. And the only thing that they will not be looking for in the top five is a quarterback, right, because they are. You know, obviously they just took one. But you can really do the old adage and a lot I know a lot of teams say they like to said, well we take the best player available. A lot of teams say that. Most of them don't necessarily mean it. You take the best player at the position that you need the most, right, and that's not always the same thing. Well, the Patriots can legitimately take the best player because it almost has to be at a position of need. I mean whether it's offensive tackle, wide receiver, cornerback, edge rusher, linebacker. I mean, they need a lot of stuff. And as you said, Gary, it all stems from the roster that was left behind by Belichick and there's just not enough talent.
Speaker 2: I remember the great Clark Booth. I remember this interview when he said, and he went across the board, he went the Bruins, Harry Sindon got old, Celtics Red got old. Yeah, and I don't want to listen. At this stage of my life, I've been victimized by agism. I'm not I don't want to go crazy on this, but Bill obviously did not put the same attention to d tail into drafting or rely on his people the way he did in the past. That's just a fact. He just wanted, you know, he listened. He from what I heard that he didn't listen to his people, that he would listen to people from other organizations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I do think he sort of started to fall into sort of going off of some of his trusted coaches. You know, he would go to Alabama with Nick Saban, he'd go Florida, you know, to other you know, to other urban Meyer back, yes, at Florida, And that's how he would do a lot of his his evaluations. He would take the you know, the opinions of guys that he trusted and run with him. And that's where some of the missteps came from. Now, that doesn't explain it all away either. I mean, I just feel like there were probably a lot of sort of questionable picks over the years that didn't really come back and hurt them as much because Tom Brady was was here to kind of make everything look better, and you know, when he left, I think that exposed a lot of things and I think quite frankly, Belichick was one of them. You know, I think he's a great coach. I maintained that even last year, you know, going four and thirteen. I never just said to myself, boy, this guy just can't coach at all. I think that looking back, it probably had a little bit more to do with Brady than any of us thought at the time. But you can't just ignore it. Like the personnel decisions were awful, I think some of the free agent decisions were awful, and you know, the decisions to let guys go and whatnot that weren't always the right ones. It's not an easy thing to do what they did for twenty years. You know, it sounds like we're beating them up now, but what they did for twenty years is very hard to repeat. And you know, that's why people are looking at Kansas City right now, because you know what I mean, they're on their way to about what a decade or so of that, and they're not even halfway there. They're not even halfway there to what the Patriots did. And that's why I think people are so enamored with Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes right now, because they're wondering, can they possibly do anything that would approach what Belichick.
Speaker 2: And Brady did well. Andy Reid was a bust until he got the quarterback, and so wasn't Belichick. All right, Paul, can you hang on? I got a couple more questions for you.
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, Paul Parola joining us here from Patriots dot Com. You're on WBZ, Gary Tangwayne from Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Paul Parolo joining us here from Patriots dot Com. Gary Tangway for Dan tonight. I want to talk about Mayo the coach. And this is one of the benefits of not being in the media every day, Paul, is that I can sit there and say I want him to be the coach because I like him. I think he's a nice man. I love him. I love Gerard Mayo. I worked with him, you were you know, we all worked with them out of you know, Comcast and an NBC Sports Boston. He's a wonderful person. He's a great guy. I want him to win. How long of it? How long can he last?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, I mean I think there's a lot of suit to that. I think that we all sort of enjoy uh, you know, talking to him the processes is much more enjoyable with him than it was with Bill. But ultimately, none of that's gonna matter. He can't coach, and you know, I think that clearly, you know, the Crafts have made a commitment to him, So you know, I think that it's you know, a ridiculous long shot to expect him to be in trouble now. But how long, you know, I don't know. If there's no sign if we're sitting at this time next year and there's no signs of improvement, then you're gonna you're gonna have some decisions to make because you can't just keep going down that road. But right now, I think that they believe in girod MAO. I agree with your assessment of him. From a personal standpoint. I enjoy sort of talking to him a little bit and covering him more so. But bottom line is it's a results oriented business. He says it all the time, and if they don't start winning games, it doesn't matter how nice of a guy he is.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that he was doing well in the business world, did very well, and I know some people that worked with him. He was working for various corporations, and when he went back as a coach, I wanted to tell him, are you are of your mind? Are you out of your mind? Because he was well on his way to doing well financially in the corporate world. I'm like, you're right, but it's a thing, you know, it's a bug. They got to do it. But it seems to me he became head coach too early. I mean, this happened ahead a schedule.
Speaker 3: Correct, Well, I think it did. And you know, our buddy Tom Kurran has said that often that I think that the plan was for Bill to stick around for another year and then transfer it, you know that way. Maybe maybe if he had won enough games to have you know, gotten that record, then maybe they would have revisited. But the way that it all unfolded, I would say, is a year ahead of time, no question.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how we can judge him. And also what kind of control did he had him on hiring the staff, We don't know was it He is called with the offensive coordinator. He often refers to the offense as a whole, separate part of the team. He's a defensive minded coach. He was a terrific player as a linebacker, but the defense sucks. And then you know, some of my friends have been getting on the front office and I'm like, look, chill on the front office here. They've only had one draft. So I don't know how you can judge Girod Mayo right now. I don't know how you can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I mean, listen, it's one year in and not even one full year in. But I mean, I will say the stuff that has happened so far is not overly promising, you know, and that starts with the off season. They had some money to spend in free agency, and they chose to spend the majority of it on resigning their own guys, and you know, I think that you could question some of the moves that they made. And then you look at the draft, and certainly Drake may looks you know, really promising is the third overall pick, and then you'd be hard pressed to find another pick right now that falls into this promising category. So so far, you know, with Mayo and wolfs that, you know, I don't think it's looked great. I think that you look at the offensive line and realize they really didn't even attempt to sign a tackle, A left tackle is you know, it doesn't exist on the roster, So I think that was a misstep. So if you're going to bring in a young quarterback and ask him to play but yet not really address the offensive line, I think there's a flaw in that approach. And we've seen it. You know, we saw it especially yesterday with with the you know, with May running around, and we've seen it a lot. He's run for his life and I think he's got seven starts now under his belt, and the vast majority of those he has spent avoiding pressure and trying to run around making plays with his legs as much as he has with his arms. So yeah, I mean it's one year. I'm not ready to pull the plug on it, but it hasn't been off to a promising start.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about May. The interception at the end of the game, Well, in the fourth quarter, I think with about five minutes to go, looked like they maybe could get back into the situation. Was very frustrating. But at the same time, the guy who was under attack all day and he was just trying to make a play. Can we survive? I mean, look, it's obvious he can be a good NFL quarterback, all right, and he's better. He's a good player. I think we all can see that. How good he's going to be I have no idea, but he's a really good player. Can he survive the rebuild?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's I think he's certainly a very talented guy who has the ability to make throws and make plays at a high level. We've seen it already in bits and pieces. He's going to have to develop. He's going to have to cut down on the turnovers, you know, for sure. I think he's got twelve turnovers.
Speaker 2: Were letting him off the hook with that again, because a lot of the times we'll say, well it's you know, he's a rookie, doesn't have any help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I would look at turnovers in different ways, Like you know, yesterday the game, I thought the turnovers were irrelevant. Yesterday, as an example, they were down thirty they were down thirty one nothing. They hadn't turned the ball over at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they couldn't stop anybody, you know.
Speaker 3: So they couldn't stop them, and they couldn't move the ball. They're in the fourth quarter, down thirty one nothing, they're no turnovers. So I just look at this as you know, it's it's sort of part of part of the maturation process for a young quarterback. He's got to learn, you know, late and you know they're in the second half. He's desperately trying to fight to make plays. The stripsack can't happen. That's a bad, bad play by Drake May trying to almost use a swim move with the ball in his hand and going over the top. That's that's just recklessness with the ball. And that's not going to work at any level. So he's going to have to learn when he can and can't try to make those plays and try. I don't not do too much. The turnovers are a problem. He's got too Manch. I think he's got seven picks and five fumbles, you know, in the games that he started. Again. I don't put all of them on him. I think there's there's been a problem with the protection first and foremost. And I don't think the offensive I mean, I don't think the offensive skill position guys you know, have been great either. I don't think the guys has done a whole lot. I don't think they've done a whole lot to help him out. However, all that said, I watched the first three quarters yesterday and that's about as ordinary as May has looked. So he's going to have to get better.
Speaker 2: Four interceptions by Tom Brady. I remember that when in Denver. Yeah, yeah, I mean it happened me. Brady had some stinkers, but obviously he had a team around him that could support him, and May just doesn't have that. But I'm worried about the guy being shell shocked and having his career ruined.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Am I being too dramatic?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a little Gary Tangway dramatic.
Speaker 2: You know, Gary Tangway doesn't do that anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't do that anymore, But I will say this, tanger you know, some of the stuff I saw yesterday, it is kind of concerning along those lines. I thought he did look like a guy who was trying to do too much and you know, sort of getting affected by what was around him. You know, the protection wasn't holding up, and there were times that he was sort of assuming that the pressure that the protection wouldn't hold up, and he was taken off. So absolutely, I you know, is there a fear that you know, his his development gets stunted a little bit? By the lack of talent around him. Yeah, that's got to be a concern. I don't necessarily worry about it right now, but you know, it's something to keep an eye on. I don't think he looked as good yesterday as he did certainly the week before against the Rams. I said, I would say the Rams is the best game that he's played so far, and I would say yesterday was the worst.
Speaker 2: Paula, I need you for one more segment. I want to talk about the rest of the NFL. Are you good?
Speaker 3: All right? All right, I'll tell you. You're killing me.
Speaker 2: You're killing please. Oh my god, I'm overworking him, Paul Perillo. We're gonna work him one more, one more segment about the rest of the NFL after this on WBC's Night Side.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Ray on w Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's got to go to bed soon. Paul Perillo, here with us the rest of the NFL. So Dan Campbell, I remember when this guy was a joke with the Dolphins, right and we thought when he took it, when the Lions hired him, what are they doing? And here we.
Speaker 3: Are now they're the best team in football and.
Speaker 2: I'm rooting for him. I'm I have to. I'm rooting for him. Look, Kansas City's great. Somebody said to me the other day. My wife was like, you know, Mahomes, he's perfect. I go, he is. He's just a great guy. But I'm rooting for the Lions.
Speaker 3: It's hard not to. You know, it's an organization that has really not had any success, and now you know, they're sitting at ten and one, and they have been there before, and they have as good a chance as anybody to get it done. With Campbell, you know, I still don't necessarily believe in him, But no, I don't, and I really think yeah, And I think he cost his team a trip to the Super Bowl last year, to be honest with you, with some of the decisions that he made. I thought he was emotional in the NFC Championship Game and the hottest team in unnecessary trouble. But I do think he does a great job of motivating the team. I think that he is obviously cut in a mold where his team plays in that style. It's the old cliche of sometimes teams take on the personality of their coach, and I think the Lions certainly fit that they have a physical, run oriented offense that can also throw the ball, and they're starting to get better and better on defense. But yeah, I think it's the talent on the roster that they've done a great job of assembling. And at the same time, I think they have really good coordinators, particularly on offense with Ben Johnson. I think they have one of the most imaginative and versatile offenses in football. And I think the record shows.
Speaker 2: Is this the year Buffalo kicks the door in.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. I don't think this is as talented a Buffalo team as we've seen, but Josh Allen just plays at a different level. And I just I'm I'm such a believer in him. And I saw him come into Foxborough as a rookie and he was so raw, and he got so much criticism because he was so wild with some of his throws. But I looked at him and I just said, you know, this guy is really he has unbelievable skills and you could see it even when he wasn't ready to play as a rookie. And to see where he is now and you know he's still you know, it is susceptible to a mistake here or there, but he's really cut back on the interceptions. I mean, I don't know if you watched any of that Kansas City game, you know, last week, but you know, he just he just turns into Superman, you know, when he needs it. And you know, it's a fourth and two, they're up by two, and they know a field goal is not going to do him much good. To make it five and give the Mahomes the ball back and he just takes the ball and he runs for the first down and he just wasn't going to be denied. He ends up in the end zone, putting that game away. And yeah, is this the year they pushed the door down? I give them is as good a shot as anybody. I mean, Kansas City, it's hard to bet against them in the playoffs. I think Baltimore is extremely talented, especially on offense, but for whatever reason they've been struggling. It's it's going to be one of those three teams in my mind. And yeah, I mean why not Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Well, when I look at Kansas City and the fact that they, you know, snuck out a win this past week, are they on borrowed time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they kind of look a little like the Patriots sort of toward the end, you know, like that last title they had. Any team, you know, there was a lot of games that you sort of looked and said, like, I'm not sure this team has it this year, but you know who's going to bet against them in an important game. And that's the way I look at Kansas City, And as long as you have Patrick Mahomes, I think you have a good chance to win the game. I think they're well coached, and the defense is really good too. Now it didn't play all that great yesterday against Carolina, but you know, they look a little bit like a team that sort of knows where they're going to be in January and they're kind of just playing these games out. We need to win enough of these games to get where we need to go. But they have a look of sort of one of those teams that's ready to turn it on and off. They played a lot of football garry the last couple of years. We saw that were on the Patriots as well, right when they were winning titles and going to Super Bowls every year. I think that's a hard road when you're playing all that extra football trying to three peat now, I think there's a reason why no one's ever done it. I wouldn't bet against them, but I don't feel overly confident even though their ten and one.
Speaker 2: Also, you know, is Reid going to coach forever or we keep hearing that maybe Belichick is waiting in the wings.
Speaker 3: Now Belichick's not going to Kansas City, stopped stop it. Andy Reid is going to coach that team. And I think at least through Mahomes his prime. That's I mean, I think that he is a really good He's a guy he dragged Donovan McNabb to four straight NFC title games, and I don't think Donovan McNabb is all that good.
Speaker 2: So we lead, we saw that.
Speaker 3: Against the Pats and Jacksonville exactly. You know, Andy Reid, I think is a is a really good coach. I think he's really adapted with the times. And I think that's some of the things that you would say, you know about Belichick is maybe he wasn't able to to sort of, you know, develop and change with the way the game has changed over the years. I think Andy Reid has I think he he coaches in a different style. He's by no means is he a player's coach. He's a he's a he runs a tough, tough training camp. But the player love playing for him and they win a lot. So I don't think he's going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, the Patriots are rebuilding. It seems that Pittsburgh always manages to stay in contention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm Pittsburgh. I've not been a believer in And if you listen to my show on the other station that you were talking about, right, I heard you guys talking about Yeah Felders always making fun of me about that. And you know, I just don't think they're all that good. Now. I give them credit for finding ways to win games. I think Mike Tomlin is very good. I think he's an excellent coach, and he's able to generally beat the bad teams and find a way to get enough wins that he's relevant. But I just don't look at them as a threat to win, you know, in the in the playoffs. I don't think that they're as good as Kansas City or Buffalo or Baltimore, and I would not give them much of a shot against any of those teams.
Speaker 2: Polly, where did Minnesota come from?
Speaker 3: You know, there's another guy. I think that doesn't get much and Kevin O'Connell about how good he is. But I think he's an exceptional offensive coach. I think he's got Brian Flores in now to run a very aggressive defense. And again, you know, the thing is about this league, in my opinion, Gary, is that I don't think there are a lot of good teams.
Speaker 2: So I agree with you.
Speaker 3: The chances are you play. You play a schedule where you're gonna have ten or twelve games that you should be able to win if you're reasonably well coached and have a reasonable amount of talent. I would say Minnesota qualifies. You know, they have a veteran quarterback in Sam Donald, who obviously has some ability as a former number three overall pick. You have justin Jefferson, Jordan Adison, received TJ. Hawkins in the tight end. You know they they have talent on the roster offensively, and then you have an aggressive defense that goes out and makes plays and you play. You know, you beat Chicago, and you know you beat a couple of teams that you probably should be and you know, before you know what, you look up and you're nine to two and you're like, well, have you be anybody any good. It doesn't matter. You don't play anybody that's all that good.
Speaker 2: I agreed, agreed you No, at the.
Speaker 3: End of at the end of the day, I think the Pittsburgh of the of the NFC. To be honest with you, the Vikings, I don't think they're all that good. I don't think they'll stack up against the Philadelphia or Detroit in a playoff game. But you know what, nine and two is nine and two. I can't I can't say that they haven't won any games, because that's a pretty good record.
Speaker 2: Paul, thanks for coming on. I really appreciate it. Paul Parolo, the Great Paul Parolosunshine dot com.
Speaker 3: Ch just mean I get to go back and watch the rest of Lincoln Lawyer.
Speaker 2: Now, oh that's your thing? Oh? Is that the series on Amazon? Are you talking about the McConaughey movie.
Speaker 3: No, not the movie, the series.
Speaker 2: Is it any good? Do you like it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It's good, it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I get my wife watches that. I gotta get on that. Paul, Thanks for coming on. I appreciate it. Enjoy your holiday. Do you have plans? Do you catch a high school game on Thursday?
Speaker 3: I do my son's last one ever at Bishop Centwick against Saint Mary's Wednesday night, in my last high school game ever.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the tiers are gonna be flown. What position does he play?
Speaker 3: He's a guard?
Speaker 2: God love him man.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, he starts that guard. So yeah, we're looking forward to it, and you know, a little bittersweet, but yeah, it's been a fun ride.
Speaker 2: Well now you can take in those college offers.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Saban's online one. All right, Paul DAGs, all right, Tanger, appreciate it, buddy. Paul Parolo the Great, he's the best. Joining us here on WBZ night said as I told you we're gonna get We're gonna keep things light. We went from Trump and politics and Kamala right into the Patriots in the NFL talk. And he's right. You know, the NFL is is there are not a lot of great teams. There really aren't. You know. To me, you got Kansas City and you got Buffalo, and then you got Detroit. I don't know about Philly. Philly's nine and two. Those are your three teams right now. I think it comes down to Detroit, Kansas City and Buffalo. That's it. Those are the three. The rest. Hey, Hey, you know what I'm saying. Eh, I'll give you some thoughts on the Patriots. Drum Mayo, We're going to change gears. Andy Grasch joins us frying a turkey and other crazy Thanksgiving recipes on the way, coming up with ten here on wbz's Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: So my thoughts on the New England Patriots right now and Gion Mayo. I worked with the guy at NBC Sports Boston, and he's the best. You're not going to find a better person. I'm rooting like hell for him. I don't think he has the tools. I don't think he has the roster, and he's also following a freaking legend, a legend in Bill Belichick, who also had a legend at quarterback in Tom Brady. I do think that Gerard has to take control of the team. I don't know if he's viewed as like the head coach. I don't really understand the relationship he has with his offensive coordinator. It's like he has the defense and they have the offense. Look if Drake may has a good relationship with his OC and that works. That's fine, But I do wonder if Gerard has taken the approach where you're just too nice. You know, we've gone through we go through cycles in life, whether it's football or whether it's running an office or an organization, where we want to be friendly, we want to be liked, We want everybody to be comfortable, we want everybody to be happy. But you can't always have success. Well, quite frankly, you can't have success keeping everybody happy. You can. It doesn't matter whether you're running a football team, whether you're running a business, whether you're running an organization, whether you're teaching a class. You can't worry about keeping everybody happy. And it seemed that the Patriots did a one to eighty from the Bill Belichick way of doing things, which was Belichick coached via fear. I remember Jermaine Wiggins. He said to Jermaine, Jermaine, if you don't make this block, I will cut your ass tomorrow. And Bill would do it. And I think this was before WIGGI had the big AFC playoff game where he had all those catches in the Snowbowl. Bill would do it. Bill would if you didn't make a play like There are definitely some guys on this Patriot roster now, some receivers that can't catch the ball that if Belichick was here, he would just cut his ass. Now, boom, you're gone. You can't ca hatch the ball for me, see you later. And I thought the Patriots may do that. I thought we would see some of that after and we still may this week. I don't know. After that embarrassment against Miami. You can't coach and be the player's friend. You can't manage an organization and be the boss and be the employee's friend. You have to have respect for one another. But there has to be a little bit of fear. That's what motivates people. There has to be a little bit of fear that if I do a crappy job on the show tonight, that I'm not going to get a call to fill in for Dan Ray again. There has to be You can't let people get too comfortable. I mean, when I saw the Patriots and some of these wide receivers complaining about not getting the football. Some of the diva I mean, wide receivers are divas anyways, they just are. Troy Brown is probably the only one that really I mean Troy Brown was never a diva. It's not in his DNA. But he's probably the only receiver that has not had that diva like attitude. To be in the NFL and to be a receiver, you have to have that diva like attitude. But you can't let it come through, you can't let it show. Anaman definitely had some diva at him. He wanted the ball. He wanted the ball, but he was tough as nails. He'd go across the middle, He'll get his belt wrung. I mean, he definitely wanted the ball. There's a diva in Edelman, and I say that as a compliment. Definitely some diva in Gronk. I say that a compliment as well. Gronk wanted to protect his body later on, and I understand that he kind of had a tough go there for a while. But there's got to be some fear. And I don't know if the Patriots fear Mayo. And I want Mayo to succeed. I can tell you that I have not wanted a coach to succeed more than Mayo. And I loved Frankcona. I thought Terry Fracona is a you give me crank he'd be talking it from his stall doing his business. But I thought Frank Cohen was great. I loved it. I thought he was awesome. And I don't think I wanted a coach to succeed more than Mayo. I really don't. I mean, he's the best. Is he too nice? That's what I wonder. I mean, one of the reasons why Belichick was a great coach is he could be a real a hole. He really could be. So couldn't Red so good in all of them? You know, you gotta be tough. There's got do you instill the fear into your players? I mean Reed does? I mean, definitely, Andy Reid does. There's no doubt. I mean Andy Reid is the players. Let's remember Andy Reid was considered a loseruntil he got the quarterback, which was really unfair and Paul Perilla pointed that out. But that's my question. I really want made to succeed. But does he instill a little bit of fear into the players? Like you know, when you're a boss, when you walk in the room, there's got to be a little bit of a from the employees, like am I okay? You can't let them get too comfortable. And I think the Patriots right now not only do they suck, but I think they're too comfortable. And that's a problem. And I hope Mayo can fix it. I really do talk about a segue here, folks, Miso roasted carrots, cream kale YACKI bake a vegan meat loaf, a grapefruit and goat cheese fennel salad. These are just some of the things that I have found that people are now eating for Thanksgiving. My word is that an American sweet Well, no sweet potato salad, that's fine. How about this one sweet and sour braised red cabbage? What what sweet and sour braised red cabbage for Thanksgiving? How about a colliflower mushroom sauce. How about a pumpkin lasagna for Thanksgiving? My god, what is this world coming to? And Trump? Trump? Would Trump River allow this? That's what people are eating.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: I gotta admit, man, it's gotta be. The best thing about Thanksgiving is the day after right, friends, the moistmaker, you get the turkey sandwich, you put the gravy and the stuffing on it. That is the best thing about Thanksgiving Day food. There's no doubt about it. Andy Gresh, who you may know from Sports Radio where I worked with covering the Patriots. It's also a connoisseur of fine foods, and yes, he knows how to fry a turkey, and he's got some stories and he will tell you how to fry a turkey if you're interested in doing it. Because I hear fried turkey's phenomenal. I'm just afraid I'm going to burn my house down. Thanksgiving recipes with the Grushmaster coming up next here on wbz's Nightside.