Speaker 1: And we appreciate them for being here talking to Jim Moore Junior. As the Huskies get set to take on Central Connecticut. They'll do that at the rent on a Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We've been around what Labor Day, I'm sorry. We've been around the offense a little bit and talk to some skilled players, some offensive lineman, quarterbacks. We haven't talked about defense, and defense is probably going to be where you fans are going to have to.
Speaker 2: Get educated because you're not going to recognize some of these people.
Speaker 1: But we've been watching him and obviously coach has been watching him and recruiting him and has brought in I think some experienced players and having seen them in action in the scrimmage and then today, it feels like the jump isn't going to be as big for them to get to a level that your defense can be outstanding?
Speaker 2: Is am I accurate with that? I hope you are.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of new faces, you know, nine new starters, and we're fortunate because we were able to do pretty well in the portal. At least we anticipate we did well in the portal. It still has to prove itself out adding some guys that had played at this level and played well at this level and big time football power for guys. But you know, there's that kind of that period of adjustment into our system and how we do things that's been happening. And unfortunately, the last couple of weeks, a couple of our key guys have been out with injuries.
Speaker 2: But they've played a lot of football.
Speaker 3: These guys we brought in and they understand the game, and they're smart, and they're conscientious and they're process oriented, and I think that we have a chance to be really good on defense. But you know, we'll see, we'll see what happens. We needed some of these guys back practicing and get them more assimilated into our system.
Speaker 1: Your background is defense, over the years on the pros and now here in college, you were the defensive coordinated for a couple of years. Here is instinct for a defensive player more important than communication or is it vice versa?
Speaker 3: It's neither. I mean, it's both. There's so many things that are equal. You know that one is not more important than the other. A great defense is a defense that communicates very very well, which means the players communicate well amongst each other.
Speaker 2: Is that pre snap or on, it's it's post, it's during.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, the communication is non stop on a football field. You just can't hear it from the stands, and especially on defense because every time an offensive player moves it changes everything on defense, and it has to be communicated. It has to be flawless and seamless, and that takes time to develop, you know, to be instinctive or not instinctive, to be commanding with the calls and precise in the calls. It takes time to learn those things. So when you're bringing a new group together important they practice together. And so that's that's why there's a little concern because some of these guys that are key pieces have not been able to practice. But like I said, they're experienced football players, so it doesn't take them as long to catch you up. So, you know, communication effort, you know, the way you finish the violence that you play with your hands. You know, good feet stand square being a great tackling defense. I'm gonna say it again, violence because violence is a virtue on defense. You know, that's something that you have to We're not talking about, you know what type of violence I'm talking about we're not trying to maim anybody, but you're trying to inflict a little punishment on your opponent in this sport. So those are the and then skill. You know, I want big, fast, mean, angry, smart guys on defense.
Speaker 2: Anybody out there want to get a uniform on listen. That's that's what defense is, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Mike, it's like Matt Brock says, you can't play defense unless you're pissed off. You know, you should get up every morning just angry about something if you want to be a good defensive player. I mean, think about Jack Lambert and Dick Buckets, those guys. I want guys like that, Ronnie Lott, Give me Ronnie Lotts and Jack Tatum's and those a guy, do you guys know who those guys are?
Speaker 2: Give me those? Yeah. I mean that's how you have to play defense. You have to have a chip on your shoulder, you have to have an edge. And I think we've got some of those guys. You know, You've got a linebacker from b YU.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we met him today after practice and he just looks he's a grad level guy. He looks like a football player he does. He's like a guy to run you on the field. You want to run away from him. Yeah, he's a great kid. And I'll tell you the bonuses that his girlfriend was an All American soccer player last year who also transferred to Yukon and will be on our women's soccer team and is one of the top defenders in the country. So we got we got a nice bonus there. But yes, is a really good player.
Speaker 3: And Tie Kwan King from Temple has played a lot of football. Brian Parham we brought in from University of Washington, He's played a lot of football.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's Our linebacking group is a really good group. I mean there's six seven guys that I feel they can all go in and play and play well for us.
Speaker 1: In Matt Brock's defense, your defensive coordinator is the linebacking position the most important, would you say.
Speaker 2: You and these most not? There's not like it's hyperbole. That's I know.
Speaker 1: Drives me crazy, and that's when we're getting along.
Speaker 2: They're all important.
Speaker 3: Okay, they all have different levels of responsibility, but they all are important, all different roles. But unless everyone's functioning at a high level, on defense. It's hard to be good on defense, you know. So there's no one that's more important, or no position that's more important. There are positions that demand different talents and skill sets and levels of intelligence and size and speed. But you know, everybody working together is another factor that makes a good defense. No one's more important than than than the next guy.
Speaker 1: All right, quick break, we're gonna talk about cornerbacks. That's the toughest position.
Speaker 2: That's the most important position.
Speaker 1: That is it Thanks to Jim moruncs with us alight the Duncan Music louds here on the Yukon Sports Network