Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday routine. Ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it?
Speaker 2: A We offer you escape Escape Design to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are prisoner in the magnificent mountain retreat of the richest man in the world, get in love with his beautiful daughter. While haunting you. Terrifying you is the certain knowledge that the only sure escape would be death.
Speaker 2: Today, with Sam Edwards starred as John Hunger, we escaped to an isolated plateau in the rocky Mountains and the strange story of a stranger family.
Speaker 3: As F.
Speaker 2: Scott Fitzgerald told it in his fascinating tale The Diamond As Big as the Ritz.
Speaker 4: I'd been going to Saint Midas Prep School for a couple of years, and this was my second summer vacation. I'd met this fellow, Percy Washington, during the winter and got to be pretty good friends with him. Only I didn't know about his family, or where he came from, or anything like that. Of course, I knew he must be rich. All the fellows at Saint Midas came from wealthy families, So when he invited me to spend the summer at his home out west, someplace that was okay by me. We'd been traveling on the Super Cheap Overnight when Percy first mentioned it. I don't even remember now what up to it. We've been talking about, first one thing and then another. Exactly where is your home, Percy? I mean you bought the train tickets and all.
Speaker 3: So I well, it's in the Rockies sort of.
Speaker 4: That is in the Rockies. Huh. Pretty wild country, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Some of it is.
Speaker 4: And now you take Haydes, Missouri, where I come from. It's been settled for one hundred and fifty years, one of the first towns on the Mississippi River.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Oh, sure, that's very interesting.
Speaker 4: You know, I sure do appreciate your not making jokes about it the way some of the fellows do when I say I come from Haydes.
Speaker 3: John, do you know that my father is the richest man in the world.
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 3: By father richest?
Speaker 4: I read about a man that paid taxes on a five million dollar income.
Speaker 3: Small fight. If my father paid a tax on his real income, he disrupt the whole economy of the United States, No kidding, Oh, I like rich people the richer a fellow is the better.
Speaker 4: I like him.
Speaker 3: My father could buy out all the millionaires in the country and not even know he'd done it.
Speaker 4: As that a fact. I visited at the Schlitzer Murphys once. They're plenty rich. Why their daughter Vivian's got rubies as big as hen's eggs.
Speaker 3: I like jewels, always have. I used to collect them instead of stamps and diamonds. The Slitzer Murphys had diamonds as big as walnuts. Oh that's nothing, huh, nothing at all. My father has a diamond as big as the Ritz. Please, I'm not joking, but you mean as big as the Ritz Carlton Hotel exactly. My father has a diamond as big as the Rits. O.
Speaker 4: Well, from there on it was something like a dream. We got off the train about dusk, get a little whistle stop where there was no town or anything, not even a station, just a broken down or buggy Now Percy and I climbed in, and without saying a word, the driver cracked his will and off we went. I don't know how far we travel we didn't seem to be following any road, and after an hour or so it got dark. The driver kept right on.
Speaker 3: I hope you'll pardon this inconvenience, John, but we have to take certain precautions, you know. Oh that's all right, Percy. Anyway, we're almost there. You're a home you mean, oh, no, to the place where we consider it's safe to transfer a transfer?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: There's the signal?
Speaker 4: Now, headlights?
Speaker 3: Pull up?
Speaker 4: The horse absent they've seen us an automobile. Yeah, but how there's no road?
Speaker 3: Oh it's special build doesn't need roads. Welcome home, must good evening, Gigson. Come on, John, let's get in.
Speaker 4: Josh, what's the body made out of? Silver?
Speaker 3: No platinum? Those are emeralds in the hubcats and the uphole string. It's for me you already must have anytime, Gigson. You'll probably notice, John, the exceptional brightness of the headlights. The lenses are cut from diamonds.
Speaker 4: Why what a car?
Speaker 3: This old junk keep? We use it for a station wagon. Hey, why didn't we stop, Percy? This is just a deserted canyon. Wait, John, you'll see they sent the hooks down while we were coming from the train. The hooks, yes, to attach to the wheels. You know, that's what Gigsam's doing.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Oh. Incidentally, Gigsam will look after you during your visit, look after me your personal valet. Of course, there'll be other slip is available to whenever you need them.
Speaker 4: Do you have a lot of slaves.
Speaker 3: Three or four hundred? I suppose muster Oh already, Gigson, yes, must.
Speaker 5: Oh, I say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look we're leaving the ground.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a hoist up there on the top of the cliff, has cables about a quarter.
Speaker 4: Of a mile long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what four, Well, it's the only way.
Speaker 4: In imagine hoisting an automobile a quarter of a mile up the side of a cliff.
Speaker 3: It's nothing really, as you may have guessed, John, this is not going to be like anything you ever saw before in your life. Well, John, there it is.
Speaker 4: That's your home. Yes, Why, it's magnificent, it's palatial.
Speaker 3: It's not a bad little place. How big is it? I think there are around one hundred and forty rooms, but father may remember exactly. Then, of course there are other buildings, slaves, quarters and things.
Speaker 4: Well, uh, why hasn't anyone ever found out about it? This place?
Speaker 3: I mean, for one thing, it's the only five square miles in the country that have never been surveyed.
Speaker 4: Why not.
Speaker 3: Oh, things were arranged. I don't see how that's possible. Believe me, it hasn't been easy. I understand. Grandfather had to bribe three government bureaus, and half of Congress wants to keep the place off the maps.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but surely somebody stumbled onto it. Prospectors people like that.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, that happens occasionally. Then, of course we have to arrange things, you mean, not always. Usually we just take them prisoner and keep them like the aviators. Planes come here once in a while, the flyover. Of course, they never get away. We have nine anti aircraft batteries around the hill here.
Speaker 4: You shoot them down.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, great sport does upset mother a bit, though, And there's always the chance one might get away. That's father's greatest worry.
Speaker 4: This place is, this whole thing is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Oh come now, John, I picked you for a fellow with his feet on the ground, and you haven't seen anything yet. You know, this is only the beginning.
Speaker 4: And it was only the beginning. We crossed the acres of lawn and entered the Great Chateau, and from that moment on, vision upon vision tumbled together in a gigantic kaleidoscope of color, symmetry and exquisite harmony. There were corridors lined with gleaming crystals, lit by lamps cut from emerald, and great halls carpeted with tinchillifour and erman. Why even the air I breathed carried a subtle fragrance, like the scent of platine. There was a white haired man, pink faced and pleasant. Who was Percy's father?
Speaker 6: More champagne, mister Dunger.
Speaker 4: Oh, thanks, mister Washington. It's it's very good.
Speaker 6: It's the very best I have it made, especially by Paul Masso himself. Gosh really, However, mister Dunger, I don't want you to think our life here is just a bed of roses. Upon occasion, we do have to arrange things. Oh, yes, indeed we do.
Speaker 4: I went to my room thinking there could be no more nor greater wonders. I was wrong. There were many more and greater ones, and one of them I discovered the next morning in the gardens. Hello there, Yeah, Oh you're lovely.
Speaker 5: My name is his mine. You're John Hunger. You're offended, my brother. Are you from the east?
Speaker 4: No, at least not exactly I'm I'm from Hades, Oh Missouri.
Speaker 5: Would you like to sit down here on the grass?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, sure I would.
Speaker 5: I'm going east to school this fall. Do you suppose I like it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 4: Of course it'll be different from all this.
Speaker 5: That's what my sister, Jasmine says, and she's in the east. Now I've never been outside.
Speaker 4: I hope you won't be offended. But you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Yes, I know what. I've surprised you didn't I a year ago I would have said thank you, but father says it's very necessary to learn to take things for granted. Sure, I like you, John. I wish you'd spend some of your time with me this summer, not all with Percy.
Speaker 4: I will kiss mine. I will.
Speaker 5: You may be in love with me if you would like to. I'm absolutely fresh ground.
Speaker 4: You know. I think I am in love with you already.
Speaker 5: Of course we'll have to meet secretly. My parents wouldn't permitted it.
Speaker 4: They knew. Then that's what we'll do.
Speaker 5: I have to go now. I'm supposed to be with mother at eleven. Aren't you going to ask me for a kiss?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 5: Jasmine says, boys always do nowadays, Oh.
Speaker 4: Some of them do, but not me. We don't expect nice girls to do that sort of thing. And hades, and it was a funny thing. Percy's family were polite, friendly, always smiling, and yet all the time I had a feeling that some terrible and golden mystery lay hidden just around the corner. A few days after I'd met kids mine, Percy remarked casually that unusually that had occurred, a man had escaped from the cage. Of course, I didn't know what he meant then, But the next morning I was walking with Percy's father on the grounds of the estate. Oh, mister Washington, Percy said something about a man escaping from the cage. I didn't quite get it.
Speaker 6: In the cage, eh, Well, perhaps you'd like to see it. Yes, it might prove interesting, just as a novelty. It's over here, these trees.
Speaker 3: They're sixty feet tall, and they have roses blooming all over them.
Speaker 6: It's a rather interesting development by a Swiss botanist. These are the only ones in the world.
Speaker 4: Oh, I suppose you'll see them all over the country in a few years.
Speaker 6: M No, No, these are the only ones that was arranged. Ah, here we are the cage.
Speaker 4: Why it's a pit dug in the ground and a greeting on time.
Speaker 7: Well, boys, how are you getting along?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 4: How many men are there down there?
Speaker 6: About fifties? I recall aviators. We've shut down wandering prospectors, many of that sort.
Speaker 4: But why are they kept there?
Speaker 6: Well, they've all had the common misfortune of having discovered El Dorado.
Speaker 7: Gentlemen, gentlemen, I am sure that you would like to know that your companion, who departed without my permission, has been taken care of. He was shot by some of my agents in fourteen different places.
Speaker 6: Golf, mister Hunger.
Speaker 4: They found him, then the man who got away.
Speaker 6: It will actually by places I meant towns. No, No, my agents were over eager. They shot fourteen men, but none of them could offer a positive identification. So I'm afraid the man I seek may still be at large.
Speaker 3: You see, mister Dronger.
Speaker 6: It's not all utopia here. Oh, we do have our difficulties.
Speaker 4: Isn't it a little unnecessary holding them like that?
Speaker 1: Not at all.
Speaker 6: It's the only way to keep this place hidden.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Or mister washington Er. Percy was telling me something on the train. I guess he was just kidding, but he said you had a diamond as big as the reds Carlton Hotel.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, use indeed, as a matter of fact, it's much bigger than the Ritz, much bigger er.
Speaker 4: Well, summer went on, and I was more and more in love with Kimine. She too was priceless, exquisite, like no other girl in the world. After a couple of weeks, I'd kissed her, of course, and I was really in love for the first time. Yeah, I should have known. I should have put two and two together when Percy's father showed me the cage, but I didn't until one morning late in the summer I'd slipped off with kiss Mind to the Rose Gardens. Kiss Mine, I think we ought to Elope. I don't know.
Speaker 5: It would be much nicer to be married here, but then it would be much more romantic to Elope. All the Sunday supplements would write stories about it.
Speaker 4: Old kiss Mine, I knew in.
Speaker 5: Aires the MoMA ho Ones, But I don't think you'd like her. She visited my sister here.
Speaker 4: Oh you've had other guests then.
Speaker 5: Huh, well, yes, we've had a few.
Speaker 4: No, wasn't your father ever afraid they might talk outside.
Speaker 5: Well, to some extent, but let's talk about something more pleasant.
Speaker 4: What's unpleasant about it?
Speaker 5: I grew quite fond of some of them.
Speaker 4: You mean they told and your father.
Speaker 5: They didn't get a chance to Father had to be sure.
Speaker 3: But that's murder.
Speaker 5: What else could we do in the cage. They'd be a constant reproach to us, and father does it so nicely. They're always drugged in their sleep, and we tell their families they died of scarlet fever and butte, I'm not sure what effect that has on theistics.
Speaker 4: There of all the horrible No, it's not.
Speaker 5: After all, it would be terribly boring here without ever having anybody. Why father and mother have sacrificed some of therapist friends.
Speaker 4: That's what they plan to do with me.
Speaker 5: Then, see, now you're sort of depressed.
Speaker 3: I knew you would be.
Speaker 5: And we could have had such fun fun, couldn't you. Couldn't you try to forget it and be nice to me until you put away. It's only for two or three weeks.
Speaker 4: You'd go on this way, kissing and talking about love when you know I'm not much better than a corpse.
Speaker 5: You're not a corpse. You're not. I won't have you saying I kissed a corpse.
Speaker 4: That wasn't what I said. You did too, I did not, you said at.
Speaker 3: The moment, father, Oh kissed a corpse?
Speaker 5: No, Boddy, we were joking.
Speaker 6: No, you too, haven't any business here anyway, kis Mine, you go read, go play golf, and don't let me find you here when I come back.
Speaker 5: Yes, bothery, Yeah, well, good day children, you see nowing. No, you've spoiled at all. You don't really.
Speaker 4: Love me, kis mind you? Oh what's the use look kiss mine? Why would it be so terrible if anyone found out about this place?
Speaker 5: Why is that account of the diamond? Of course, But you'd better ask, Percy. I'm always getting things messed up.
Speaker 3: I will ask.
Speaker 4: And another thing I'm getting out of here tonight. If I have to dig through the mountains, I'm going back east. Take me with you, Hona.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 4: Your father wouldn't permit it.
Speaker 5: If you won't take me, I'll go tell him I'm in love and want to marry you.
Speaker 4: You can't do that.
Speaker 3: He'd bump me off this afternoon.
Speaker 5: Please take me, darling, and we'll be terribly poor and very happy. And I'll cook things for you, herbs and berries and stuff. Won't that be fun?
Speaker 4: You will, won't you?
Speaker 5: John?
Speaker 4: Well, my head was really in a whirl. This whole thing was fantastic, and so was the family, even kids mine. I couldn't think of anything to do, but I rushed to see Percy.
Speaker 3: But John, why didn't you ask me before?
Speaker 4: Because I thought you were kidding all the time.
Speaker 3: I know you wouldn't have believed me if I had told you. I'm ready to believe anything now. Well, it was grandfather who started the whole thing, purely an accident. He came out here from Virginia and stumbled on it. Under what the diamond. Of course, Grandfather spent two years going around to different cities of the world selling bits of it, and then he started building this place. First he started putting his money in jewels, and then he found the radium took up much less space. Father's carried on since, you know, But why the secrecy. It just wouldn't do if anyone found out ruin the economy of the world. The thing's too big.
Speaker 4: This thing has been going on for three generations. The cage, this thing of inviting friends. Yes, you see there wasn't really any danger before airplanes there what worries? And you knew when you invited me here what would happen?
Speaker 3: Please, John, I thought you'd be more sensible about it. After all, you can see my position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where is it? Where do you keep this diamond that's CAUs ocockeyed much trouble?
Speaker 3: I thought you'd guessed you've noticed the hill the chateau stands on. Oh yes, but it contains a cubic mile, and except for a thin covering of dirt, it's one big, solid diamond.
Speaker 4: It was nearly midnight. I didn't know what awakened me, but all of a sudden I was staring across the patches of moonlight, spotting the ermine carpet of my bedroom, staring at three slaves I had never seen before. They just slipped inside the door and stood there, each with a vicious length of shiny copper wire, the official executioners. I lay there on the bed, washing and counting heartbeats, not daring to move, not daring not to move. They didn't know I'd awakened. They began edging across the room.
Speaker 6: Come on, all three of you, there's no time now for this hurry.
Speaker 4: I took one long, deep breath, the first in several moments. Then I was out of the bed in an instant, throwing on my clothes and dashing through the long pistol corridor the Kismin's rope. Kiss mine, Are you awake over here by the window?
Speaker 5: So they woke you up too?
Speaker 4: If you mean three of your father's slaves?
Speaker 5: Oh? Airplane?
Speaker 3: Airplanes, So that's what it is.
Speaker 5: At least a dozen. I saw them crossing against the moon. Look they're third clean way over there.
Speaker 4: You think they're here on purpose?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes, they dropped warnings to father. It's that man who got away from the cage, you know.
Speaker 4: Good for him, Yes.
Speaker 5: Wasn't he clever? I think we'll open up on them many seconds.
Speaker 4: Now, open up, yes, our anti aircraft. Oh this is thrilling, thrilling.
Speaker 5: Oh look they're in range now, bravo, bravoes.
Speaker 3: Mind get away from that window.
Speaker 5: Good heavens, did you see that?
Speaker 4: Yes, And we've got to get out of here. Can't you understand? They'll bomb the chateau.
Speaker 5: Next to they're the little grove across on the side of the mountains. We always keep one of the cars there. We'll have a nice view of every a nice.
Speaker 3: View, kis mine.
Speaker 4: You don't seem to understand. They mean business. They're out to finish off you and your whole family.
Speaker 5: It all seems so silly. Why when you come right down to it, they've never even met us. Is it morning yet?
Speaker 4: John seems to be getting lighter.
Speaker 5: It's quieter too.
Speaker 4: It's your guns. They're knocked out, every last one of them. It won't belong now.
Speaker 5: Seems such a shame. The family puts so much work on the place. Everything's always been so pleasant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'd better get some sleep, kiss mine. I'm gonna walk down the path a little ways. You'll come back, yes, kis mine, I'll come back.
Speaker 3: At the edge of the wood.
Speaker 4: I stopped and looked out across the valley toward the wrecked chateau standing on its diamond hill in the center. The bombing had stopped. The planes droned over the far rim of the plateau, seeking some sort of formation, and then, on a small knoll just below me, three men appeared suddenly from the underbrush. The first one strode imperiously ahead, and the other two bore a heavy burden between them. It was mister Washington, and two of the slaves. All right, this is enough.
Speaker 9: We'll stop here now.
Speaker 4: The burden they held up to the heavens was an immense diamond. Now, and you up there, I could see no one else anywhere in view. You up there.
Speaker 10: I want you to understand, this is only a sample. I'll give you a thousand tut that's fine. Set in pedestals up pattum, and I'll build you a tower a thousand feet high, cast of solid gold. And on the tone of it, I have put one diamond a fing across.
Speaker 4: A thought began to dawn on me, but I couldn't believe.
Speaker 2: It is your name on.
Speaker 9: The temple in emeralds. And I'll see that the whole world worships at its base. All you have to do is to make everything the way it was before.
Speaker 4: Mister Washington was offering a bribe to God. He stopped talking, waiting for an answer, and then out of those same silent heavens blossomed the white puffs of parachutes. The man who tried to bribe God looked up and saw them became old in an instant, and, turning with lord head, walked down the path toward the chateau with sudden premonition, I whirled and headed for the spot where I left Kismie kiss Mine and the car that needed no roads.
Speaker 5: Haven't we gone far enough?
Speaker 3: John Die?
Speaker 4: I suppose we're ten miles from the chateau.
Speaker 5: It's also hectic, this rushing about and losing sleep.
Speaker 4: And everything hand made. Those field glasses.
Speaker 5: Here they are, Can you see anything?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh, wait, what is it? It's your father and mother and Percy. They're going into a tunnel down below the chateau.
Speaker 5: Wait, I remember, now, the mountain's wired some kind of atom.
Speaker 4: Bomb, Adam, you mean atomic bomb?
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: Father always said it would disintegrate the whole works, diamond and all. Of course, he only regarded it as a last resort, so.
Speaker 4: He'd rather have it like that. They're all inside the tunnel now, the paratroopers are moving in.
Speaker 5: I don't suppose there's really anything to be done.
Speaker 3: About it now, and there wasn't.
Speaker 5: I keep thinking about things the way they were. It was all so pleasant. I don't suppose it will ever be exactly like that again, not.
Speaker 4: Ever, kids mine, And maybe it never was, you know. Youth is a time for dreaming, and dreams die too.
Speaker 5: I'll probably have to take in washing, but of course we'll be very happy.
Speaker 4: What will we do, John do.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: We can love a while underneath the stars. That's a form of divine drunkenness. We can all try and then there may be other diamonds in the world. Who knows. And even though it's a shabby gift, there's always disillusion. Turn up your collar, kids, mind before you catch pneumonia. Let's go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Escape, produced and directed by Norman McDonald, has brought you Sam Edwards in the Diamond as Big as the Ritz by f Scott Fitzgerald. The radio adaptation was by Less Crutchfield, with editorial super VIASI by John Duncle. Featured in the cast were Nina cloudon Is Kismine and Hugh Thomas's Percy with John Dayner and Jack Krushan. The special musical score was conducted by Leith Stevens. One week from tonight at this same broadcast time, CBS will hail the return of the Adventures of Ozzy and Harriet, the Delightful Situation comedy show, which began its career on CBS four and a half years ago, as they take their plays among the stars on CBS's ten Great Sunday Night Shows. Ozzy and Harriet will celebrate their homecoming by presenting to their CBS audience their own sons, David and Ricky. So remember to be here next Sunday evening, April third, as Ozzy and Harriet return over most of these same CBS network stations at six point thirty Eastern Standard time. Now, stay tuned for the Jack Beni shit All, which follows immediately. This is Roy Rowan speaking. This is cb AS the Columbia Broadcasting System