Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Although I'm still not at one hundred percent my voice, it's I think, slowly but surely getting better.
Speaker 3: It may not sound like it right now, but I feel better.
Speaker 2: I also feel better after getting it out of the way at the beginning of the show today, and that was just admitting.
Speaker 3: That I have some real jealousy.
Speaker 2: Because we all get jealous, some people probably get more jealous than others. I think how you deal with jealousy is really is the most important part of it, because nobody wants to be jealous. It's a pretty it's a pretty uncomfortable feeling, and it's never a good look to be, you know, letting your jealousy get the best of you to where you really act out in a way that is not you. But I'm jealous as hell of what the SEC has become as a basketball conference, and I just I wanted to get that out of the way early in the show today. And I feel better now that it's that it's out there, because last night I'm watching two really good games. I guess they weren't the Arkansas and Auburn finish was really really strong. Arkansas actually came back, took the lead with a few minutes left, and then sure enough just couldn't hold on and look loosen on the road at number one, Auburn, nothing to hold your head about. But I still think that Arkansas is one of those teams that I just don't really know how you could say they belong in the tournament.
Speaker 3: They would quite literally be it, like, let's see who they have the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: And again, I probably shouldn't have mentioned my voice was better, because it doesn't sound great now. But hey, slowly but surely I'm recovering and I feel fine. But I just I'm riding out the the failing voice and hopefully more rest and hydration can can get me get me squared away. But Auburn, I'm sorry, not Auburn, but Arkansas. They are fifteen and eleven overall. They are They have a game against Missouri, Texas, South Carolina, Vandy, and Mississippi State the rest of the way. I mean, even if they finish like let's say they lose to Missouri, beat Texas, beat South Carolina, beat Vandy, lose to Mississippi State. I mean, that would make them at the end of the season eighteen and thirteen. And if you put them in, you're only putting them in because they're in the SEC, Like that's all you'd be doing. And I just feel like the SEC can can at this time without any issue for me, which is not that they would care, but like, I don't have any problem with the SEC getting more teams than anybody in but like Arkansas needs to be where we draw the line because they just they haven't beaten anybody that would they would warrant them being even considered for the tournament. But yet their numbers as far as the NET are pretty impressive because they play in a league where night in and night out, they're playing really good teams. And that's what I'm jealous of because the Big East before it died, you know, it's still around now, but not what it once was the Big East days when it was the best basketball league ever. I mean, that was that was fun and it really watching the SEC kind of have that same thing going on right now. And look, how we evaluate which leagues are the best also includes what they do in the postseason. So if the ACE, if the SEC flames out, and gets like no Final four teams and one Elite eight team. Then then we probably still can be real with ourselves and say, man, the league is really good, but what you do in the postseason matters way more than anything else, to where if they flame out, some will still say, well, look it's a great league. They just beat up on each other and the actual more competition, the better tournament was not the Big Dance, it was actually the SEC Tournament. Like people will say those kind of things and they may not even be wrong, but like what you do in March, that's what really what makes college basketball special.
Speaker 3: So I'm jealous of.
Speaker 2: Watching my team play in a league that is just nowhere near as good as the SEC. And look, if Louisville was in the SEC, would they be a tournament team?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 2: So look, I know, big picture, like louis has been able to take advantage of this, and they're doing all you can do when you play in a league that is going through what it's going through right now. I mean there's a reason Louisville is I mean, Louisl's got a really good record overall.
Speaker 3: They are in league play.
Speaker 2: I mean, was there five games Lefty like thirteen and two in the ACC right now, but yet they're barely in the top twenty five. And again it's because of where the ACC is. I think if Louisville was just getting by, you'd have more doubters out there as far as if they are good, but they're beating the hell out of teams to where they may get a six or seven seed.
Speaker 3: But I think even even people who don't.
Speaker 2: Like Louisville, like I think even Kentucky fans would acknowledge they lo So they'll surely make fun of the ACC being down and get their ribs in because you know, that's that's how this stuff works within a rivalry. But I think they would even acknowledge objectively like Wolves a good team.
Speaker 3: Now, are they elite?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: How good are they tough to say because of the conference. But they're good and they're playing really well right now. And I just wish that when we would have games on SAT like we have Saturday, Florida State coming to town. I wish there was value there to where you could really get a big win that's going to change how that committee views you. On selection Sunday, you got pit coming to town before the season ends. Trying to think of where else Louisville ends up before the season's over. Let me see here, and that's you still play? Is it Stanford and col So you've yet to have your your West Coast games? Yeah, Florida, So it's Florida State at home, then Virginia Tech on the road Tuesday, Saturday pit at home, and then you play Callen Stanford both at home. So you only have one road game left this year and that's Tuesday Virginia Tech. So I just wish there was value there and I think the ACC is gonna get better.
Speaker 3: But this year, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it's been such a fun ride, and I maybe in a way like it's it's really best case scenario because you can't control how good your league is.
Speaker 3: So maybe because.
Speaker 2: The early success here for Pat Kelcey, right, the whole story and what I mean by the whole story is that Louisville was so bad for a few years and now they're you know, they're they're fun as hell to watch and they're good.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe maybe if we didn't go through what we went through in.
Speaker 2: Previous years, I wouldn't be appreciating it as much as I do. So again, you can't really control it, and louis has been able to take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: But I just missed the.
Speaker 2: Days of having a week where you knew, Okay, it's gonna be tough for us to win both these games, because geez, you play two top ten teams, it's gonna be really tough. So if you split, best case scenario, if you split, man, you're still gonna probably not fall because the loss to a top ten team isn't going to hurt you if it's competitive, and if you beat one of them, that's humongous for you. It's just you know, I know I sound greedy because I've loved every bit of this season so far, and I'm I mean, they could play you coul play high school team, and I'm gonna watch and I'm gonna enjoy it because I love watching these guys play. I love that they clearly appreciate Louisville, they appreciate being here, and you can tell that they are energized by fans kind of coming back to life. The revival is actually happening as we speak, and it's been a lot of fun. But last night I just felt like a jealous hater because I want I want to be able to tell you that I think the SEC's hype and all the love that it's getting is unfair. But I don't I think I think the league is that good and I don't think it's changing at all. So Austin's out tomorrow, so we'll talk about what I'm gonna do tomorrow, just because I'll have a little bit more on my plate giving the fact that I won't have a key contributor to the show, so I'll I'll play a d tomorrow on the show. For the ACC I'm gonna hire new coaches for the jobs that we know are open Florida State, Miami, Virginia, and then I'm gonna hire coaches because actually I'm gonna have to. I'm gonna have to actually fire them because I don't know if their bosses are going to But I'm gonna play ad and I'm gonna fire Red Autry at SYRAC Houston, replace him. I'm gonna fire whatever the hell's name is at Virginia Tech, Mike Young, gonna replace him and hire new coaches. And I don't look in North Carolina and n C State. We talked about it that I talked about it this earlier mentioning that I was gonna do that, and Hubert Davis is not getting fired.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 2: He might next year, but he's not getting fired this year. And Kevin Keats isn't getting fired. I mean, I guess it wouldn't be that crazy of a thing if he did, because there's that bad and it just it's really tough to see NC State being able to view their basketball program right now with Kevin Keats as the coach as if like they're gonna end up like in a good situation, because they the final four run was great, but man, it was an absolute fluke and it was an absolute outlier. Like I hated for Kevin Keats, but he's never been good there. I mean, I can't even think of what his best season was at NC State prior to him having an awful year last year and then somehow miraculously making it all the way to the final four. I mean, they were losing the Louisville Kenny Paynes Louisville at halftime of that first the Day of Shame game in the ACC Tournament, So Keats before, I mean, before last year, Austin, he'd never won a tournament game.
Speaker 3: He only made the tournament once. It's gross, I mean it's real gross. It's with that. I mean that that final four run saved his job.
Speaker 2: Well not only that, it it crushed n C State because again, it changed his situation. And I need to go look this up. I've just been saying it and I think it's true, but I will verify he didn't get a new deal because they said, look, we love you, let's do it. I'm pretty sure it was in his contract that if he made a final four his got extended.
Speaker 3: So I'll double check that because if not, like if.
Speaker 2: They went to him and gave him a new contract after last year, that's just that's malpractice. Because you can be intoxicated by the ride that March gives you. When you make a run like that, it's unexpected, it doesn't seem real. I mean, you know, I bet there's people that have named their children after somebody that was a big factor and their team making a magical run in March. But to then give him a new deal when you could literally look at that as the out like it wasn't a breakthrough, and everybody on that team that helped him go to the final four, you knew wasn't coming back like it was just it would be the most unnecessary contract extension raise ever. So I feel like he got more years on his deal because he made a final four, but it was already in the contract. So I'm sure those two look Hubert Davis and Kevin Keats won't be at their jobs long term. But I don't think they're going to give the boot after this year, but I could be wrong. Oh that's the first one. It's the first cough, first call of the day.
Speaker 1: Three.
Speaker 2: I mean I had I made it two hours and fifteen minutes before I had to. I had to let one out. But real quick. If you missed it in the uh, I can think it was the was the four o'clock or three o'clock hour when we talked about the pranksters?
Speaker 3: Was that the three o'clock hour because we got it during the first break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so are so we have somebody that is that is playing a prank on us, and I wish it was funnier. I mean, I'll just be honest with like, it's probably somebody that that you know, I think it's doing something harmless. They're not really trying to like, you know, I mean, they're I don't think they're doing it to be jerks.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe they are.
Speaker 2: But over the last few weeks, when the phone rings, usually it'll show me a phone number or it'll show a name.
Speaker 3: So our call.
Speaker 2: Screener is is pretty I mean, I think it's awesome because if you call one time and we get your name and Austin puts your name through, if you call any other time, it's going to say that name. So like when the phone rings, if you've called before been on the air, I will see your name, which makes it easy. But then there's sometimes we don't get a number, or it's a number that doesn't have a name to it, meaning they've never called and been put on the air before. So here and there pretty consistently actually over the last few weeks, Austin will get a call and then they won't end up being on the air. And it's people who are working at car dealerships that have been told that Nick Coffee is really interested in buying a car from you, and you need to call five h two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred after three o'clock, and you know, they call, and they don't they don't know they're calling a radio show. They don't. I mean sometimes they've used my name. Sometimes they've used like today the tribal chief that's who wanted to buy a car and they were told to call five seven one seventy nine hundred. Apparently Jerry Eves was told or somebody called looking for Jerry Eves on the show because he was looking to buy a car. And I mean I get it, like you're you're trying to to have, you know, play a little joke, But I just don't know what the payoff is for you, Like did you were you?
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 2: Well? You? Because here's the thing, if we never talked about it at all, and I never brought it up on the air, and yet people still called every day, these people that are selling cars, trying to make a living, being misled by pranksters on the internet, that are you know, just trying to get a joke off.
Speaker 3: I mean, like would you still do it? Is it over?
Speaker 2: And now you're going to keep doing it every day? Like what I don't understand is what do you get out of it?
Speaker 3: And I you know, I might be wanting us to talk about it, and if so.
Speaker 2: Like so you know, maybe maybe the payoff like because somebody asked earlier on the text line, if I believe that somebody like, if that they wanted somebody to get on the air, and technically there would never be somebody, like even if Austin didn't do his job the way he does, which is the right way, He's going to get your name and at least get so he's not going to screen your call to where you gotta like perform for him to get on the air, but he's gonna at least give me an idea of what direction you're going. So that alone makes it to where they know they're not going on a show. Like if he just said, hey, what's your name? You put it down. And by the way, if somebody, if somebody called saying, hey, giving you a call, I understand you're interested in buying this twenty twenty one Chevy Trailblazer, and you know, you just said, all right, what's your name? And then they said, uh, David, And then you just put David on hold, and I brought David on the show Like that that that scenario would just never happen in fact, in fact, because they called in And now I'm getting too deep into the weeds here, but by law, and I say, by law, I don't think they can arrest me.
Speaker 3: But f c A A f c AA is that what it is? Yeah, FCA isn't just f c A.
Speaker 2: I think it's fc A f c A like guidelines or whatever, C SCC, that's what it is. You would think I would that, But I'm loopy, man. This cough medicine is making me loopy. But anyways, like I am obligated to tell somebody they're on the air if they don't know.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: For example, if I if I called, like let's just say, I had Austin, Hey call this number real quick, and we like the phone rang while we're all on the air, and then they answered it and I didn't tell them, hey, before you speak, you need you're.
Speaker 3: On the radio.
Speaker 2: And I just talked to them and they talked to me for three minutes and didn't know they were on the air. That's a big violation that they can, you know, can get us in trouble. So like the scenario what a long story show. What I'm getting at is, if you're if you're in goal is to get one of these salespeople on the air with them not realizing it. Well, they try to sell me this vehicle that's got all the bells and whistles like that just would never happen.
Speaker 3: So if that's the goal, then you know it just it's not meant to be my man, not getting past me, not past the tribal chief, that's right.
Speaker 2: So I just I was trying to, you know, figure out what do we think this person is going to get out of this, because I don't want to be dramatic about it, but like you are wasting someone's time who quite literally like this is their livelihood.
Speaker 3: This is what they do.
Speaker 2: They sell cars, and they need to make sales in order to be able to make a good living and of course feed their family. So if they get at you know, at noon an inquiry online because somebody said that Nick wants to talk about buying this car, you need to call at three o'clock, like they may be thinking, all right, well, let me do some looking into this person. Let me, let me, let me make sure I'm prepared for this phone call because I'm I got to make a sale. You've wasted I mean, I don't know how it works. I've never been in that business. I wouldn't be good in that business at all. So shout out to all the people that are successful at selling cars, but like you're wasting their time and that's you know, like I hadn't thought about it, but it just came to my mind just a moment ago. If any if he like it wouldn't be a shocker if if some of these car dealership people that call in or the salespeople and doesn't sound like it's happy yet, but like, because this is a talk radio show and we clearly you know, we're not uh, we're not immune to doing childish and you know, stupid things, which again is with us.
Speaker 3: So they I would I would hate for.
Speaker 2: Somebody to think that we're messing with them like us, right, But I don't you don't get the sense that's the case.
Speaker 4: Right, No, I hope not. And honestly, before you said that, I never even thought. But you know what I mean though, right, I know what you're talking about, Like they think that we're trying to get one over on them. Yeah, but I don't know, or maybe it's at the beginning of it, I thought, or is this just their way of trying to get on the radio, or is this their way of trying to do business with iHeart as a whole.
Speaker 3: It's quite clear.
Speaker 2: And today I think was the day, which is why I decided to talk about it. But I think today was the day where the person you talked to, like they told you that somebody put in an inquiry to call after three o'clock about a car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's that's that's what Uh, that's what raised my hair.
Speaker 2: So again, if if I just you know, I would say, whatever, your end goal is here, like I don't you know, you had some fun, but like, can we stop because eventually there's gonna be one of these car dealerships that just thinks we're doing it. Yeah, and we're trying to get somebody on the air to play a prank on them, which one again.
Speaker 3: Even if we were we wouldn't be allowed to do that.
Speaker 4: Fine, if it didn't jump the shark. I think it's it's fine now where it is. Me selfishly, that's a payoff because it's a wrestling thing and haha, I'm the tribal chief.
Speaker 3: I get it. Had a good chuckle.
Speaker 4: But if it keeps going after this, I don't know what I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Well, well, to be fair, you are the best, Like I I'm glad you're the one that's like, I guess somebody's playing a joke, like, you know, sorry, Like I know some.
Speaker 3: Other people would be like, well, the hell do you guys keep calling?
Speaker 2: We don't want to buy your damn car, because again they're just doing their job, trying to make a living. Yeah, like that is that is That's a good silver lining here. I feel like you are the perfect person to kind of navigate this because if it was me, I would just assume these cold call and sons of bitches we don't want your car. But but they're not doing it because they're just you know, harassing us. These aren't robo callers. They think they've got a legitimate lead and they don't. So anyways, whoever's up to it, please stop, all right, stick with us. We'll finish strong here. Five o'clock hour on a Thursday. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: It's another Joe Dirt song for you.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah played at the very end, good soundtrack, Oh dude, fantastic. I always forget And he's a very memorable character. But when I think of the cast, I don't often think of him. But Christopher walking what a great.
Speaker 3: Uhh yeah, I mean Kansas. Uh and he gets hit by the mob like that's.
Speaker 2: It's just, uh, you're talking to my boy all wrong, like it's home. But again, I'll stab you in the best part was he would always slip up New York City.
Speaker 3: I mean Kansas.
Speaker 2: And then who how do to remember how he got Oh it was when they like replaced Joe Dere was in the hospital for something like infused his his mullet back together or some yeah, and uh oh no, no, yeah, that's that did happen, and he was in there at the end of the movie. But where he gets caught is that Christopher Walkins saves some kid who's choking as the janitor at the school, and because he doesn't want to get you know, any notoriety, they recognized him and he says, no, he did it, Joe Dirt, He's the man who did it. So then Joe Dirt gets like this key to the city and he's like, I can't I can't take credit. It's this man right here, and he just walks away as if he knows he's going to die, and.
Speaker 3: Then sure enough they pull up and get him.
Speaker 2: But little subtle things that like I can't I can't tell you why that I think it's funny. But like me and my friends when we watched the movie as kids, like we were just randomly like one liners with the boys I mean Kansas because he's not supposed to be from New York.
Speaker 3: Is your mother? So yeah, he ask you a question, does your mother sew have a soul? At gosh, fantastic? So I want to watch that movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, this was a barber shop in the Highlands, and I'm sure it's been this has been done elsewhere before, but I don't know why. It's just like my perfect level of humor. They they wanted people to know that you could just come in, and they just posted a picture of Christopher Walkin's face and says we accept Walkins.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, again, that's like just.
Speaker 2: Very stupid humor that I that I find very very funny.
Speaker 4: So there's another one on Modern Family because Phil cell Or Is it Phil, No, it's it's the dad that sells closets and he and he he had he had like a voice and he said you get it.
Speaker 3: It's Christopher walk.
Speaker 2: In closet again, like things that people are probably listening thinking, Man, these guys got a pretty low.
Speaker 3: Bar for humor.
Speaker 2: And you know what, you're probably right, yes, you're probably laugh at all. Right. So Rick Pattino, he had a quote that that it's that it's it's not controversial by any means, but I think it's, you know, him saying it is going to get more attention than most coaches saying it. And I just think that in the next I don't know, four or five years, there's gonna be players that in the previous world, if you're ranked in like the top seventy five, top one hundred, it's a no brainer you're going to a top school. But now with coaches having I guess different amounts of openings every year, they're just not going to prioritize freshmen. So what Rick said was, quote, this year, we're not even looking at high school basketball players. We're losing Daveon, Kadari and Aaron which those are three fifth year seniors, I believe, so he says, and you can't replace them with high school players. And I mean that's a no brainer. Like rebuilding and knowing, Hey, we're gonna be young next year. Give us a few years and we'll be right back. No, like, you don't have to wait anymore because you can go get experience more so, first of all, you can go get it now in the portal, which didn't even exist a few years ago. But now you got guys that can play in college or I guess they've always been able to, but now they're choosing to stay in college a lot longer because now they can make money.
Speaker 3: They can pick up and go to a new team.
Speaker 2: It any at any moment, seemingly so right now. The number of freshmen that are playing starter minutes on each top ten team Auburn has won Florida zero.
Speaker 3: Duke is the exception. They have three.
Speaker 2: But if you notice, Duke maybe has three of the top five freshmen in the country, and obviously Cooper Flagg, Kinnipple and the big fella who I always forget his name, but he's a very impactful guy, and they have really good veterans built around those guys. Like I think Duke's got some really good pieces to where you where Shire did not put a class together in the portal that really did a whole lot as far as generating buzz, and it wasn't a class that that anybody that I know have viewed as like a top ten type class as far as the portal class, but it was the exact kind of pieces that that I think can work really well with their with their roster and so far that's why the mean, that's why they are a one seed. I'm sorry, Alabama one one freshman getting starter minutes, Tennessee zero A and m zero Iowa State zero, Texas Tech one, Saint John's zero. So, I mean, I just think if you are coming out of the high school ranks and you're a Michale Brown junior, well you're a top ten player. You're gonna still be able to pick wherever you want. However, you're not, I mean, you're not the end all be all, Like you can miss out on an elite, top five, top ten recruit and know that you're gonna be just fine because you know, the Cooper Flags. Those guys don't happen very often, right, And Cooper Flag if he's at and we'll never know, so maybe it's a silly hypothetical, but if Cooper Flag was at Boston College, you know, because he's from the Northeast and he decided to you know, maybe there was a connection at Boston College where he was. You know, he had an assistant coach.
Speaker 3: His AAU club.
Speaker 2: That's his AAU coach is now an assistant in Boston College. They'd be better than they are now, but they wouldn't. I mean, they wouldn't be It wouldn't be a tournament team or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at Rutgers.
Speaker 2: They had I mean, quite literally, Rutgers I'm pretty sure signed two of the top three guys in the class last year. I'm gonna look it up because and by the way, I think Rutgers, I mean Rutgers. They're not a tournament team, are they. I've bet on them enough and they don't win, so I feel like there's no chance they're a tournament team. In fact, I feel like last I check, they were having like a dreadful season. Yeah, Rutgers signed two of Let's see last year's twenty twenty four recruiting rankings. You had Cooper Flag number one, Ace Bailey two at Rutgers, Dylan Harper three at Rutgers. And those guys are having good, good enough seasons to where they're still being viewed as top five picks. Their numbers are still pretty good, but I mean Rutgers is thirteen and four team six and ten in league play. So like getting the shiny future NBA player that's got a lot of hype, that's already got millions of followers, it does give you something off the court that is valuable as far as your brand. I think, even if you're not playing a bunch of freshmen, if you look like an ACE recruiter as a coach, there's at least some value there because it shows you, you know, you've got the juice people want to play for you.
Speaker 3: Hell, they'll be They'll be four fourth year.
Speaker 2: Seniors that'll see that you know, they're being recruited by a guy who typically is picking whichever high school kid he wants every year. There's still gonna be value there, but you don't need it to win, and coaches know that, and even if you do get them, you're not going to have them very long. So I just and let's be real, a guy that's coming from the mid majors or maybe even just you know, a not so successful team that is in a power league, like for example, Chucky, Like Chucky came to Louisville hungary. He didn't come entitled, he didn't mean. He came to prove that he's a lead guard. And he's been way better than anybody expected, even Pat Kelsey. I mean, Chucky's really exceeded expectations. But Chucky came from a mid Wisconsin team that you know, he took a back seat in his last year there because aj Stores was the man. So you know, Chucky I think, wanted to compete here and wanted to show what he can do. And if you're talking about okay, do I take the point guard who's played three years, been good but not elite. He's hungry, he's experienced, he's mature, he'll never be drafted. Or I could take this freshman who I know is eighteen and will probably be a lottery pick regardless of what he does for us. Which one you're gonna take? I mean, I still think they'll be coaches that would love to have the raw talent of the freshmen because they just feel like they can they can get more out of it. But I think a veteran that is mature and again has that experience and is hungry, like I think that that's a better scenario for you to win. And when it comes to like longevity, let's say you've I mean again, that's actually that's actually a really good scenario, you know, both, unless there's a really like unexpected situation. You know, you only get one for one year. Would it be worth taking a guy who may be as good as he's gonna get but he's twenty two years old and he's experienced and he's that good right now. Or a kid that you only coach for one season and he'll hurt you with freshman mistakes. He'll show, he'll show he's talented, you'll see why the NBA loves him. But like, is that gonna help your team? So look, those guys, the Michel Brown juniors and the you know, the other elite freshman they're still gonna be able to find their spot. But I think there's gonna be some type of a cutoff line at some point, just because when I say cut off line, I mean I'm looking down here at the This is the top twenty five. Actually, this is the top one hundred of the twenty twenty four class, the class we just talked about with with Cooper Flag the freshman currently playing right now, I mean, can I russ Is at thirty eight? He went to Louisville, and I'm only I was gonna use him as an example, but he doesn't actually fit what I was trying to say. So let's just say, when you get to I don't know, try to find a freshman that would be a good example of this. All right, So there's a freshman at at Ole Miss. His name is John Bowl not to be not to be, you know, mistaken for the John Bowl here in Kentucky and a media you know he's a legend. But John boll is a seven foot center. He was the seventy two best player in the country and he.
Speaker 3: Was a four star.
Speaker 2: Chose Ole Miss in five years? If instead of choosing between Ole Miss, who else did he choose from Florida? You know, schools of that caliber, like instead of that in five years a guy that's ranked in that ragn I wouldn't be shocked if the five schools he's choosing from, instead of being schools from the SEC, the ACC, the Big Ten, the Big East, he's choosing from either the lower level schools of that caliber, or he's going to a school in the Missouri.
Speaker 3: Valley or something.
Speaker 2: Like maybe I'm way off here, but I just think the smaller, like the mid majors who get poached, and they're still going to get poached, Like they could benefit from maybe getting recruits out of the high school range that they never used to get, and they'll have to know that they're probably gonna not keep them for long. But hey, if you can get him for a couple of years and they can average twenty points a game and they would have been closer to ten points a game as a freshman at a higher level, Like, I just think there's going to be a trade off because I love the idea of getting guys like mckel brown junior. That's a statement type of recruit that Pat Kelsey brought in and I'm excited about it, absolutely, But I'm watching this current louisvill team play and I think outside of like a guy like that, or maybe a guy that's kind of in Canai's range top forty and a guy that's mature, willing to embrace that he's the young guy and he'll have to wait his turn. Essentially, those guys are gonna be hard to find too, by the way, Like, if you told me Pat Kelsey has six roster spots to fill this year, and the other spots are you know what you have back? Right, Like James Scott, Ali Khalifa, Kobe Rodgers is going to be eligible. I mean technically, Javon could be back if you wanted to. Cason Prior could be back if they wanted to. So if there's like five spots left and you've got a Michael Brown junior and then the other four, like, am I gonna go get more elite freshman or would I rather go get a guy in the portal that you know is like a Terrence Edwards or Javon Hadley. I mean, I probably want a guy like that, just because I think that that gives you the better chance to be successful. You might get a four star, top seventy type recruit, but he'll probably be behind the other veterans and after his freshman season he might stick around or he might leave and it would have been just a waste. Then you don't know if anybody, I mean, you never know if anybody's gonna leave anymore. You can't predict the future. But I don't know. I just I think high school freshmen that aren't the elite of the elite are going to have a much different path moving forward because of what has changed so much in college sports. That's that's probably not ideal for them, but I just think that's the way it's going to be. And more than anything, it's because guys stay in college way longer and the portal, I mean, it's it's that that is a product of what we're going through right now. All right, quick break will come back on the other side and wrap it up just like clockwork. We hit the last segment with my voice completely on e stick Around.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: I love that Joe Dirty has kind of been like a low key theme today on the show, and I just remembered and this makes me feel good because we were really kind of reminiscing on the great classic comedy that is Joe Dirt, which I mean we were probably the demo right like the oh yes, I mean, what do you think.
Speaker 3: It's Rotten Tomatoes review.
Speaker 4: Is I'm gonna I'm gonna say they crap all over it. If I'm going to say about five out of ten.
Speaker 3: Let me look it up here, because it's probably not good.
Speaker 4: Rotten Tomatoes, likes, over dramatized, and way too.
Speaker 2: None percent Tomato Meter sixty four percent with the audience score, which isn't that the popcorn Meter is the audience right? Yes, yeah, so you know better than I thought, But yeah they do. And I forgot that they made a second one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one was kind of that what was you see it? No? Right, So here here's what happened this.
Speaker 2: This scared me when it comes to like Happy Gilmour that they're having a sequel Dumb and Dumber. They did a second one and did Joe Dirt two. It was a Crackle original Crackle. Yeah that doesn't even exist anymore. It's a streaming platform that doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this came out in twenty fifteen, and I remember it was in February twenty sixteen. My daughter was just born, and you know, we just brought a newborn home from from the hospital. We're not sleeping at all. Even whenever she's sleeping, we're still like scared to go to sleep because you know, we're having to take care of a human being for the first time. And I remember I did fall asleep briefly on the couch and woke up Scared to Death and Joe Dirt two was on because I had started the movie before I fell asleep on Crackle, and Joe Dirt was sitting in a dentist chair and Baron Davis, the former NBA player, was the dentist, and I remember thinking, what.
Speaker 3: World am I in? Is this real? Like fever dress?
Speaker 2: And I remember thinking like, Okay, I'm not this is really stupid and it's it is one of the worst ever sequels for a movie that, you know what, did have a good run there many many years ago. So but I now know that I can think because I forgot when we were talking joey early, I forgot they even made a second one. So clearly the second one did not ruin the original for me, and I'm hopeful that that's what happens with Happy Gilmour as well. I've seen some clips that they're showing, and I mean skeptical. I hope it's gonna be entertaining and nostalgic and it'll just be a fun watch that doesn't do anything for me, because honestly.
Speaker 3: That's the way it should be. That's way it probably will be.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that I'm gonna think less of the original regardless of what happens with the second one.
Speaker 3: But we shall see, all right.
Speaker 2: Have a good night, everybody Austin, have a good weekend and find something cool with the flea Margaret, I sure will see you guys,