Speaker 1: At seven thirty fifty five carcy De Talk Station, A very happy Wednesday to one hour from now Judge Annapolitano on the Trump, the war, and the Constitution the meantime. Welcome back to the fifty five Caarasy Morning Show. It's also players. They have Ken cob Or FOP president for the CINCINNT Police Department, on to talk about matters related to the police. Ken, welcome back. It's good to have you on this morning.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, Brian, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Local development in the eighteen year old Ryan Hinton we was shot after fleeing a stolen vehicle with a firearm in his hand. Hamilin County Prosecutor County Pillage said yesterday it was justified. And I know the Clinton family or Hinton family rathers does not agree with that, but prosecutorial discretion. Apparently she looked at all the evidence and said, yeah, it was reasonable for him to fire on Hinton because he was carrying a firearm and was waving it around at him. Your response to this, I presume you were pleased with the outcome.
Speaker 3: Oh, without a doubt. I mean, this was something that we fully expected was coming. I wish it would have been sooner. But I also understand that, you know, Prosecutor Pillach is new at her job, and you know, I'm glad that she took the time to look at all the evidence and came to the same conclusion I think everybody else is going to.
Speaker 1: Well, she had things to like attend to protest over the weekend, so you know, you got to give her some time to get her politics out.
Speaker 4: You're not touching. That not a good look, You're not.
Speaker 2: It's certainly not a good look.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: So this, obviously the my understanding is the officer is back on the job. Never been named, and I was pleased that they didn't name him because we all know in this modern world with doc seeing and attacks on members of you know, elected officials and others, that this officer certainly could have faced a lot of that. So the officer is back at work, is that correct?
Speaker 3: That's correct. I talked to the officer probably three times this week about some of these things that are going on. Back to work doing well. I think this is probably going to be a step in the right direction to be able to kind of be able to move on with the rest of their career in life.
Speaker 4: And this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I suppose it's impossible for anyone who has not been involved in a situation where their life is in jeopardy, where someone is standing who obviously is at least at least by all evidence, appears to have been engaged in criminal conduct. To start, they were in a stolen vehicle and they were fleeing the law enforcement officers who and you correct me if I'm wrong, we're ordering them to stop, halt, don't run away. That the adrenaline flow, the rush and all that. This use of deadly force is judged by a reasonableness standard. Is a person in that position reasonably justified in using deadly force given what they're facing? And you know, I guess this is one of the dangers of being in law enforcement. Not only are you faced with this in a higher percentage of circumstances. I mean, you guys got to have to worry about this all day long. But when public outcry and the whole era of defund the police and the police are a bunch of races. Kind of a mindset that somebody have out there, you kind of have that going through your head too. I imagine you like a hesitance that may result in you losing your own life.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know you hit the nail on the head. It's it's what a reasonable officer would do at that time. It's not there's nothing that says that, you know, this person has to have shot at you, has to have done, you know, pointed a gun at you, all these things, even though in this case it was clear that's what happened. People get caught up in that. Well he was shot in the back. Well he wasn't shot in the back. But there's nothing that says that a policeman can't shoot somebody in the back. You know, the law is very very clear. It's what a reasonable person would do in that situation. I think any reasonable person if they have somebody that's running towards them with a gun and points it at them as they're running by, that is an absolutely reasonable response is to protect excuse me, to protect.
Speaker 4: Yourself, particularly a couple.
Speaker 1: Since there were police officers there too for the purposes of arresting them because they were in a stolen vehicle. I mean they you know, you can project onto what they might be thinking, the criminals.
Speaker 4: The the the the people who stole the car.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the police are there I'm going to get into trouble, and the reaction may be I'm gonna shoot at him, I'm gonna defend myself, I'm gonna try to get away. I mean, that's all factored into the whole mix of emotions that you must use a split second in order to make a determination. It's it's overwhelming, and I wish more people would contemplate that, well, you're.
Speaker 3: The reality is that the people that are saying that this isn't justified are the same people that take absolutely no accountability for anything, no accountability for their actions for anybody else's because they're all saying, well, yeah he was in a stolen car, and yeah he had a gun, but and.
Speaker 2: There is no butt.
Speaker 3: When you run around with the police with a gun, you should expect that you're going to be shot.
Speaker 2: It's really that simple.
Speaker 1: That simple FOP president can cover hold you ever, we'll talk a couple more minutes after I make a quick word or two for my friends at cover. Since he who are going to be your friends too, you reach out to cover, since he with no obligation, no money is paid, no money's exchange. Let them look at where you are in terms of medical insurance and even dental and vision and come up with a better way. They're working for you, not in the insurance companies. They work with insurance companies and thousands of different policies under hundreds of different insurance companies. So they're shopping around to find the best possible package of insurance for you, and by doing so they can save you heap loads of money. And my neighbors Tommy and Nancy took early retirement. They were on Cobra paying through the nose. He saved them I think more than five hundred dollars a month. I regularly mentioned my friend Jeff, small business owner illustration small businesses. You know your employees may not even want medical insurance because, oh my god, I can't afford nine thousand dollars out of pocket. How about getting better employee retention by providing them with insurance they can actually afford cover Since he looks at each person individually, whether they have family and spousal covers and that kind of thing. So all of this is tailored to you, the person, and then you get the benefits of them all throughout the period of time you're insured through cover sincey because they'll handle claims issues with you because everybody runs into a claim's like why did I get a bill? I thought I wasn't supposed to get bill for this. You don't call the insurance company and spend hours on the phone. You call Cover. Since he let them iron it out for you. John Rowman and the team will take great care of you, So give them a call again. No obligation five one three eight hundred call five one three eight hundred two two five five Online there's a form you can fill out to start the process. Go to coversincy dot com.
Speaker 5: Fifty five KRC Caroline Barrett, Gentlemen, we'rether forecat uh mostly clody, very humid, isolated storms a been noon.
Speaker 4: And five severe storms coming in after that.
Speaker 1: Today's I eighty six just clouds for the most part, maybe a few showers over night. Sixty nine for low eighty will be our high tomorrow as well as not as human. Isolated showers and storms are still possible. Clear overnight down to sixty four and a warm Friday going up to eighty seven segued to nineties over the weekend. Right now, seventy two degrees in cyber traffic.
Speaker 4: From the U skip traffic center.
Speaker 6: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping on an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explore a living donation at uce.
Speaker 2: Health dot com.
Speaker 6: Slash Transplant cleanup continues West POMD two seventy five at Ward's Corner an accident on bub left shoulder. Traffic heavy coming out of Milford southbound seventy one's ran to forty eight outside eleven and remains blocked due to an early morning truck fire. Southbound seventy five just beginning to get heavier through Blackwab Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station at.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty nine fifty five KRCIT talk station Brian Thomas with fo KEY President Ken Kober talking about the officer involved shooting Ryan Hinton no longer with us, of course, his father ended up going and going after a sheriff's deputy ran him over and killed him. Completely different scenario though, but Helin County Prosecutor Countie Pillage said, no, he is cleared of any wrongdoing. He was appropriate in his use of deadly force, so there will be no nothing going to the grand jury. The Hinton family obviously not real thrilled about this. They lawyered up and they're threatening a civil lawsuit. Check me if I'm wrong, though, can Kober? Under the current state of the law, officers are immune from liability in connection with damages or injury incurred while they were doing their job. Coupled with the prosecutor's recommendation that no crime had been committed, here sounds to me like they're in a pretty damn shaky ground. Your reaction to the idea of a civil lawsuit, who would they go after?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the million dollar question is who are you going to go after?
Speaker 3: You know, the officer was deemed by the prosecutor to have acted reasonably. He didn't violate any policies or procedures, so underqualified immunity. When an officer acts reasonably and they follow the law, they're immune from any liability.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're going to sue the city and hope that the city settles them. Settles like they do with just about everything else.
Speaker 1: Well, that will be a shame, be almost an admission of liability by the city that they shouldn't. They should fight that. That's what our taxpayer dollars are there for it was reported in I guess Fox nineteen's Mary Labas reported and it doesn't matter where the information came home. But apparently in addition to announcing this possible loss, that the lawyer said that he has access to information that, in his words, has not been made public regarding the officers who are at the scene of the shooting that day. Didn't go into any detail about what that information is. I don't suppose you have any concept or idea what they're talking about. But if there were other officers there who were not involved in the shooting, what difference does it make what they have regarding those officers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's funny because if he had this information that's secret, why would they have not turned it over to the prosecutor's office for them to examine.
Speaker 4: Ooh good point.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't buy any of that smoking mirrors that that they're trying to put out to the public.
Speaker 1: Now sens the Jenna public unrep over the whole thing, which I suppose may very well happen in these shaky times in which we live. So update on police morale, it looked like the city council was planning on doing what I believe you were calling for, is getting some lateral hires in to deal with the waxing numbers of or waning numbers of police officers on the CINCINNT Police Force. Last time we talked, I mean, it's kind of frightening how few officers are actually out on patrol given the current contingent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, just lateral class that the city's apparently going to pass in their budget is certainly a step in the right direction, you know, but this is something that's likely going to have to be done every year, coupled with our traditional academy to be able to get our numbers back to.
Speaker 2: Where they need to be.
Speaker 1: I saw that they were doing three academies over the next several years at fifty per academy. But given the attrition rate that you brought up here in the morning show, that's going to kind of probably keep you at static levels unless they do get a sufficient number of lateral classes exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know, in these lateral classes are officers that are already trained. They're experienced officers that you can do an abbreviate academy and then be able to come in and be able to make a meaningful impact, you know, the first day they get out there, because they're they're not new, they are experienced officers, and it's something that that's what we're gonna have to do if they're going to if they're really serious about getting us back to what our compliment is the only way to do that is to have multiple classes in the same year. Otherwise we're not going to get back to our numbers.
Speaker 2: We're just going to keep falling. Well.
Speaker 1: And I mentioned the this this anti police sentiment that was all the rage there a few years ago. You got the impression that everybody in every neighborhood hated the police department. What do you hear from your officers who are out on patrol. Do they feel as though they have community support for their presence?
Speaker 3: I think, by and large, you have the community that wants the police there.
Speaker 2: You really do.
Speaker 3: You got you got the vocal minority that it doesn't matter what the police are going to do.
Speaker 2: They're going to hate them. They're going to say they did the wrong thing.
Speaker 3: But when you go to these communities and you see, you know, the average working class person that's in these communities, they want the police there. They know the police are there to make them safer so they can live in their community.
Speaker 2: But like I said, it's a vocal.
Speaker 3: Minority that want to stand up and criticize the police. We're always going to have that, but when you get into these actual communities that the support is there, well.
Speaker 1: You know, and I and much in the same way I criticize Cincinnti Council in the mayor for not more actively supporting the Cincinnti Police Department in law enforcement generally speaking. And it's not that they're against them, of course, they're voting for dollars for new classes, they're voting for lateral hires. That suggests some support, but not a whole lot of people paying attention to line items and budgets. But there's sort of silence on the whole out loud regular support of the police department really kind of irks me. And I think, you know, sincinnt Police, given where morale is, at least from where I'm led, it's led to believe it is, they could certainly use that type of active engagement. I would like to think that you know, these communities out there would rebel against the anti police sentiment, and would more out loud express support for the police now that you're hearing it and feeling that when patrolling these communities is a wonderful thing. And I'm glad to know that those who are are who reject the police or think they're bad are the minority out there. But you know, out loud support is a completely different element, and I think that would go a long way to helping this insane police accomplish its job and patrolling and keeping our streets safe.
Speaker 3: Now you hit anail on the head, you know, you can you can walk, you know, out out in the community and have somebody shake your hand and say listen, not everybody feels a way that you're hearing on social media whatever.
Speaker 2: Out you know, they shake your hand and say, we support the police. But you're right.
Speaker 3: The other part of that is having city leaders standing up earth and outwardly saying, look, we support the police, we support what they're doing, you know, and that's that That means probably just as much, if not more than it does from hearing it from some many the community.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, how about a tweet or some social media posts from council members of the mayor talking about exactly that they've be elevated to a level of attention. Plus it will be widely reported because again the silence it seems to be deafening. FOP President Ken Cober, God bless you and the work that you and the since a police department.
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you coming on the morning show and sharing your thoughts and comments on these events as they unfold. And uh, we'll keep our you and every police officer and our thoughts and prayers.
Speaker 2: All right, Brian, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ken Cober seven forty six fifty five K see the talk station. You know, imaging can be affordable if you go to Affordable Imaging services. Got another CT scan last week and of course it went well, went flying colors in out. You got the same equipment hospitals are using. Don't pay very much though compared to the hospital. A CT scan could set you back five thousand dollars, and you may get a separate bill for the radiologists report, which your doc's going to need to understand what the image shows. Affordable Imaging Services four hundred and fifty bucks without a contrast six hundred width for a CT scan Ultra sound can set you back two grand at a hospital. How about two hundred and fifty bucks at affordable imaging services. Same thing with an MRI and echo cardiogram. Plus you don't have to wait imaging departments at hospitals. Is you have to take a week, three weeks, maybe a month. You know this is your health at stake. Here affordable imaging will get you right in medical professionals operating the equipment. Everything's great, no problem, you save money. Nothing wrong with this picture exercise. You're right when it comes to your medical care. Five one three seven five three eight thousand. Five one three seven, five three eight thousand. Online you find a bit affordable medimaging dot com
Speaker 4: Fifty five car the talk station iHeartRadio