Speaker 1: Yea ripped up. You need advice, so you don't have come running.
Speaker 2: Just as fast as we can, Shooter's gonna help come man, This is.
Speaker 3: The Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine, Hey, Hey.
Speaker 1: Hi, how are you doing.
Speaker 4: I am here to help you solve problems, answer questions, take complaints, and make your life a little easier, as I've been doing for forty five years on this particular show uninterrupted. So that's the longest running show with the same host still on the air.
Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 4: We recover millions of dollars for people in any given year, millions in cash, merchandise, exchanges, refunds, and services. We also talk about consumer stuff near and dear to your heart and pocketbook, to keep you let's say, to keep you wise and uh you know, I as you know, and I'll take your phone calls whenever you have a problem, question complaining at three oh three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 1: As you know, I'm involved in a few things. Uh. One of them is a wealth management company.
Speaker 4: And I looked at some portfolios, not mine, not ours, but in general, some anonymous portfolios and financial advisors get to do that to see trends. You don't. You don't get to look at who's got what and who they are. But there are statistics kept on investments and what they do and what they don't do. And I found something absolutely shocking I want to share with you. And I don't know why it's happening right now, though Amy wants to talk about her beamer.
Speaker 1: She bought a twenty eleven.
Speaker 5: Oh, we were trying to help you, Amy, and I don't know what happened to the call, but anyway, you paid fifty four hundred fifty dollars for US twenty eleven BMW three thirty five I at car Pros in Golden You took a road trip. You took a road trip to North Carolina, excuse me, North Dakota.
Speaker 4: In less than thirty days. You experienced a complete breakdown. And what we wanted to do is try to get your car into one of our people to get it analyzed.
Speaker 5: How did we leave it with you yesterday? That's what I thought we were going to say, right.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, I didn't have a full charge because I didn't realize and I wasn't at home. I was downtown, so.
Speaker 7: I wasn't able to get a charge on my phone.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I want to get your car into a place.
Speaker 1: What were your symptoms.
Speaker 4: Let's get Kevin Caulkin on if we can sus what were the symptoms?
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, it just had, like I just started to make it, this noise under under the hood, and my engine light came on and then it started splashing the engine. So I pulled over, I turned the car off, and I go to look under the hood and everything looks normal. So I start the car back up and then it's it's driving normal, but I still hear this continuous like not kind of under the hood. And so I get back into town and I don't.
Speaker 7: Drive anywhere, and then I decide I got to go somewhere. So I start my car and I go, and I could go like a block a block away, and then when I turn my car off, it won't start. I yeah, and it doesn't run completely at all. Right now, I don't know where yours. I did have a diagnosis on it through O'Reilly's dayhook the obed I center up to it and it came back with a p P three hundred code, which is a general engine code, and then multiple cylinder misfires cylinder two P three zero two and P three zero five.
Speaker 4: Okay, And did they say what they thought it was caused by.
Speaker 6: It could be any It could be the ignition coils, It could be spark plugs, it could be something more serious. It could be the combustion in the cylinders. I mean, it's.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 1: Where are you located? What part of town are you in?
Speaker 7: I'm located in North Glenn, in North Glenn?
Speaker 4: All right, hold on for a second. I want to try to get Kevin on to talk about this. Three h three seven one three eight two five five Steve, Welcome to the show. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Steve?
Speaker 9: I was calling about wrongful termination. I was working for a company that was a union I yeah, thanking deliveries. I made a delivery to a place where a gentleman asked me for my phone number, and then I denied him. He fabricated a story and said that I was basically trying to fight him because I think he was trying to save face for being refused.
Speaker 5: And Steve, let me ask you something, what kind of job, Steve?
Speaker 10: See?
Speaker 1: What kind of a union job?
Speaker 10: Is there?
Speaker 1: A delivery job?
Speaker 9: Yes, a liquor delivery.
Speaker 4: Liquor and you say it's union controlled. Yes, okay, So right now, so why did the guy Here's what I want to know. Why did the guy want your phone number?
Speaker 9: I guess he thought I was attractive?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: And so you were working as a union liquor delivery guy and then okay, and then what happened was this guy got in a fight with you. What story did he make up?
Speaker 9: He said that I was being rude and then I tried to basically fight him.
Speaker 11: Okay, totally false.
Speaker 1: And they fired you because of this, Yes, because.
Speaker 9: They said that they took his word and said that I was being rude.
Speaker 12: At the time.
Speaker 9: Working there, I was a union steward. So they were trying to clean house and get rid of union for a steward because I was sure holding them accountable.
Speaker 4: So they were looking to get rid of you. Now, that could be retaliatory. There's very few unjust terminations, very few of them. There are some, however, and if they were trying to get rid of a union, I mean, that's pretty serious.
Speaker 1: Are you sure that's why they fired you.
Speaker 9: That's what they told me specifically when I was being terminated, that I was getting let go for threatening.
Speaker 1: Language, threatening language.
Speaker 9: To who to this gentleman that asks me for my number?
Speaker 4: Now, Unfortunately, if they wanted to get rid of you for another reason, and you gave them a real reason, or they have a real reason, they can use the real reason and it doesn't matter what their other reasons are. Did you ever have complaints like this before from.
Speaker 13: People in this industry?
Speaker 9: Everybody's got complaints like this.
Speaker 5: It's why why are these people sitting Are these people.
Speaker 1: Sitting at home alcoholics looking for trouble?
Speaker 9: It's just different owners of liquor stores expect you to do certain things that we don't provide.
Speaker 4: Oh wait a minute, Wait a minute, so you don't deliver? Wait a minute, you deliver to stores?
Speaker 8: Correct?
Speaker 1: Okay? I thought for some reason.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking like an for a liquor for homes, you know, like or a door dash.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I understand.
Speaker 4: So this was a liquor store owner that reported you, yes, basically.
Speaker 1: Okay. Was it the store manager?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well he has credibility. Listen. Why would they fire you though for one complaint?
Speaker 9: I feel because I was a union steward and I had filed several grievances holding them accountable for their actions such as safety, faulty truck.
Speaker 4: All right, I don't know how we're going to prove this. See, you probably can't get an attorney on this. Will your union help you? They should represent.
Speaker 1: You on this.
Speaker 9: Currently we are about to go to an arbitration, but the company wants to basically give me money and send me on my way and just forget about it. I just don't know if.
Speaker 1: I'm well, what is well? Hold on your what does your union say about it?
Speaker 9: The person that I'm dealing with says that he feels we have a strong case. The union lawyer basically is saying, I've gone into these thinking that we'll win and we lose, and vice.
Speaker 1: Versa, so they're not going to fight.
Speaker 11: We currently have an arbitration date set.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 14: I just don't know.
Speaker 9: If I take the money that they're offering me advice, I don't think.
Speaker 5: I don't think. Listen, that's up to your attorney. But I don't think you have a choice. Hey, John Fuller, are you on right now?
Speaker 1: Is John on? He's going to be on it just a bit, Tom, Okay, you know here's what I think.
Speaker 4: He's our attorney, one of our attorneys Steve, you don't really have much of a choice. They must have gone to arbitration because there was mandatory arbitration with the union agreement, meaning that the union members don't sue, and that's why you're going to arbitration. Most union shops have an arbitration clause with the employer, So you're going to go to arbitration. And if they offer you a cash settlement, I don't see the You don't have any upside turning it down. You can't take them to court. I mean, if your union doesn't fight them, you got to go to arbitration first.
Speaker 5: Then you usually can go to court. But what I'm saying is I don't think your union attorneys will represent you. He was already saying, look, we're you know, I've seen some of these and we you know, we can win or lose, and they probably don't want to take on the fight.
Speaker 1: Steve. I really think.
Speaker 4: Arbitration is your best bet, and I don't think it would behoove you to fight after that. Not really, not really, unless the union says. Unless the union says, hey, bro, this was really really unsavory. Let's go to court. I mean that's different, but really, Steve, you gotta go with your your counsel three three seven one three eight two five five. Waterpros dot net the best water systems. You know how I feel. You just don't get better for a lower price anywhere. Quality, service, dependability. It's got the whole house, conditioning the whole house, and you also will have drinking water at the kitchen sink. You'll get rid of forever chemicals, chlorine plastics. Waterpros dot net just thirty nine to ninety five for the whole house. Plumbers can't touch it. Waterpros dot net.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, CALLUMPUS insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 1: Help.
Speaker 5: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Hi Tom Artino here three O three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five. I got Kevin Colkin with me shared in autotech. Uncle Kevin is our expert on automobiles. Kevin Amy yesterday called in with her twenty eleven beamer.
Speaker 1: How many miles on it?
Speaker 6: Amy, there's about one hundred and forty one thousand mile line.
Speaker 4: And it's a three thirty five I and that just reeks all problems. But here's what happened. She took a road trip to North Carolina. During that road trip, she was experiencing some problems. Now, Amy, explain the best ken to Kevin. When it first started, you were driving down the highway, yes.
Speaker 1: And what happened.
Speaker 6: You would hear like this, something from under the hood, maybe something flapping or like a knock type sound.
Speaker 1: And then, now, let me ask you this, Amy, let me ask you this.
Speaker 4: When you were driving hearing this knock, was it a steady knock or.
Speaker 1: Every now and then? Was it knock knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, or was it.
Speaker 15: Not?
Speaker 1: Not like it was it regular or irregular?
Speaker 6: It was it was regular maybe like a maybe not like a knock like you would think knock, but like a more like a ping or something.
Speaker 1: But it intends, okay, and would that sound change?
Speaker 4: Would that sound change with the speed of your car?
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, what does that sound like to you lifters?
Speaker 15: Yeah, it could be almost anything. Did you stop and you know, check fluids or just yeah?
Speaker 4: She said, Well, she was about to tell us Amy when I when I interrupted you, you said, and then what happened?
Speaker 1: Go ahead?
Speaker 6: My check engine life came on and it started actually flashing my engine, and so I pulled over and I popped the hood and uh, it wasn't hot or overheating. I wasn't low on oil, none of that. So then I turned my car back on and it was normal, and I still heard the sound from under the hood. And then it happened again that later that evening, and when I had stopped later that evening, I was a court low. So I'm not sure if I'm leaking oil. I think I'm burning oil because I don't see any oil leaves or anything.
Speaker 13: But yeah, and then.
Speaker 6: I had to let it sit.
Speaker 4: Okay, crazy, Okay, when you let it set you started up again?
Speaker 6: Today? No, at that time, I was able to restart it after about an hour, hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Now, one other thing, Kevin.
Speaker 4: She went to an autoparts store, and they pulled some codes P three hundred, P three hundred, P three two P three oh five.
Speaker 15: Yep, random and then multiple misfires.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, you know that by heart.
Speaker 15: Huh oh yeah, those are common codes.
Speaker 5: Tell me what does that sound like to you? If you had to guess.
Speaker 15: Oh, it could be a number of things. It could be a compression issue, it could be sparked few injectors, almost anything. So that's why the light.
Speaker 1: Could it be the entire engine?
Speaker 15: It absolutely could, sure, especially with noises, with everything else going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Amy, You're in north Glen right, Yes? How far are you from full Facts in Wadsworth?
Speaker 6: Just in general, I'm not too far from there, probably like twenty minutes drive probably.
Speaker 1: Well, Kevin, Yeah, what happens now when you try to start it.
Speaker 6: Well, it doesn't start. I guess the battery is dead. But I can I can drive. But the last time I drove the vehicle it actually stalled on me two blocks after I started driving, So I probably would have to have the vehicle towed there. But I'm I can do that. I'm willing to do it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I well, yeah, we got to make sure Kevin can get it in now do you have in Kate? You know obviously we can't do a bunch of free repairs. He can do a free diagnostic for you. But Amy, do you have money to get it fixed?
Speaker 16: Well?
Speaker 6: I don't have a stockpile of cash, but I do work, and I live paycheck to paycheck.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the deal. Let's just get it there and get it checked. I mean, but I don't think you're going to have a recourse against the seller.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I don't unless they didn't have the money to do a bencheck at the time. And I had already ran through my check with car with car backs because I had been looking for a vehicle. And I found out that my title was branded twice and it's branded as junk salvage. And I'm just like, how did that get back on the market.
Speaker 5: In the first Amy, Amy, they sold you a car that was salvaged and they washed the title.
Speaker 12: Twice?
Speaker 13: They did it?
Speaker 6: Yes, it was. It was two comes back with two branded titles as junk hyphen slash salvage.
Speaker 4: Hey wait a minute, that's and when you bought it, did it did they advise you of No? Okay, now we got a problem. Mm hmmm, Kevin, I think they have to disclose of it's salvage.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, especially if it's on the title. But if they washed the title, they may not be responsible. They may not have known either.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet you they knew. Yeah we Hey, deputy, dollars in a dollar? Are you in today?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I'm here, Tom.
Speaker 1: Why don't we call this dealer? I mean, let's find out.
Speaker 4: I don't know how she got a clean title if it was previously washed, I mean previously salvage Amy title.
Speaker 6: The way they they the way I signed the title was it was from a like a state farm. It was like it was so you.
Speaker 5: Knew it was so it was probably we we need to see the paperwork. I think they probably told you it was salvage and you just didn't know it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thankang an idea in the paperwork, you know.
Speaker 6: Ially, the only thing that I said that was the mileage was not the actual mileage. That's the only thing.
Speaker 5: I Yeah, listen, I think Amy, I think you bought a hunk of junk.
Speaker 1: I hope to god it works.
Speaker 4: I mean I hope that Kevin can find something that can be repaired. Let's just leave it there. Okay, that's our next step. Bob has a question for Kevin while he's on the air. On the line here, Bob, what is your question for Kevin at Sheridan Auto tech dot com.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, we've got the import tariffs coming in. I got a friend who just bought a new car. I'm just like, I really like the car of God, and I'm just wondering, how long do I you know, how long do you really last if you take really good care of them?
Speaker 1: Well? What car do you have?
Speaker 15: Yeah, look at a car.
Speaker 11: I've got a twenty seventeen QX fifty. It's got the three point seven liters six in it.
Speaker 15: No, they're great cars. Yeah, you can. Most cars can go to one hundred fifty to two hundred with proper regular maintenance. It's it's not complicated. Yeah, don't skip out.
Speaker 11: I just you know, yeah, I've just got one hundred. Yeah, you know, I've probably got three years left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well sure you do. Look, those are really good cars, Bob. Why were you wondering about the terraff.
Speaker 11: Oh no, I've got a buddy who just ran out and bought a new car because the terra for coming in all this and that and I just really liked this car, and I take good care of it.
Speaker 13: I'm just I normally.
Speaker 11: Trade them in about one hundred thousand miles, but I think I'm just going to keep this.
Speaker 15: Yep.
Speaker 4: More and more people well, and I don't think more and more people are and with the especially Japanese cars, Yep, you can get a lot of life out of them.
Speaker 15: I agree.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, when it comes to auto builders, the Japanese standout, and that's just the way it is. Above German cars, above American cars. In fact, German cars have come down in the world in my opinion. Kevin, would you say quality over the.
Speaker 15: Years absolutely a great. Yeah, you got to own them new and bail at three years or you're gonna you're gonna have problems for last collar, you know. Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 1: Very experience like problems.
Speaker 15: Yep.
Speaker 4: Right, three oh three seven, one, three eight, two five five. Frank Durand the real estate man can give you a market valuation of your home. What is that, Well, let's say you're not sure you want to sell. He can do an analysis free of charge, complimentary and let you know what it will sell for and what you will net based on his vast thirty year experience. Get that free analysis. Frank Duran, The real Estate Man dot com three oh three nine to zero, sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Knock knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, knock.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot Com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 1: Help.
Speaker 5: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real Estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martine here and speaking of.
Speaker 1: Fuller, John is with us. Hello, Hello John. Hey.
Speaker 4: Do you know I started the show saying that since I got into financial advisement industry, the business, I found something pretty shocking and I'm I mean this now, this is compiled from just this is not what do you call research when you go out to find just what you want right.
Speaker 1: I wasn't even looking for this.
Speaker 4: I wasn't even looking for it, but I noticed a trend.
Speaker 1: We have, of course at Waveight Wealth.
Speaker 4: Management, both male and female clientele, and then we have couples. Now here's something John, I found shocking. In an examination of portfolios men, unmarried men had really good portfolio returns. Now, I'm saying good so I can put it all in perspective. They weren't outstanding, but they were good. Married men had a bit better, and single females had the worst returns. Now, these people were not investing their own money. They had financial advisors.
Speaker 5: Now, John, I don't know how an audience, I don't know how how you go to a financial advisor as a woman, and you go as a man, and you go as a married couple.
Speaker 1: I can see where a married.
Speaker 4: Couple would have different risk tolerances and financial goals, like with kids and stuff, where that might be a more babysat portfolio. Although you know what I say, in their financial advisement, they don't babyshit crap.
Speaker 1: But but but a single woman.
Speaker 4: Why is it that a single woman versus a single man have vastly different returns on investments if you look at male portfolios.
Speaker 17: Go ahead, John, with completely passive investments. I mean, that's that's.
Speaker 5: This versus managed money, versus managed money.
Speaker 1: These are not day traders.
Speaker 10: That whole thing is.
Speaker 17: I mean, in theory, you should take the same risk tolerance profile of say investor A and investor BE, and if they came out with the same score on the risk tolerance, it should have almost identical portfolios.
Speaker 4: When you think, well, yeah, that's that's the and John is touching on the for the on the financial advisement industry. Now, we don't do it that way, but that's what most do. Most financial advisors shake hands and get to know people, go to their kitchen table or they meet at a restaurant, and then they talk about investments. They say, well, what are your goals and that's an appropriate question, and what what are you comfortable with as far as risk?
Speaker 1: And what did this happened or that happened?
Speaker 15: What?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Then you're right, John. Then they send that up to line to a giant investor who then invests their funds. That's how the industry works. They don't know you. They just put you in a in a group. Now, sometimes that works very well, by the way, sometimes it does. Sometimes though they push funds that they work for.
Speaker 1: So you know that's one thing.
Speaker 4: Then you have number two, you have investment advisors who actually invest your money. They actually listen to you, and they tailor it to you.
Speaker 1: That's what we do.
Speaker 4: We are one of the probably two percent of all planners and all advisors because every single client is different, every single one has a portfolio chosen for them. Now, no matter how you look at it, what John said is true. If you go to a financial advisor, how is it that if they use the same questionnaires and the same procedure, how is it that I'm looking at stats that absolutely positively show that female investment for polios are routinely less than males. I don't understand it. And I brought this up not because I have any great answers. It's absolutely a fact. And then I went and further researched, and because we were finding this and Yahoo Finance actually went to the Census Bureau and published actual returns.
Speaker 5: The gap is astounding. It is absolutely astounding. If you look at this chart, you will see that male counterparts male just single males investing in the stock market and single females with advisors, men are almost double of what women get in returns?
Speaker 1: Now, why is that?
Speaker 4: I doubt And I'm not trying to you know, I'm not saying that. You know, the financial advisor is going to because many of them are female too. They're going to look at a woman and say, ah, we don't care that much about you, We're not going to babysat your portfolio that much.
Speaker 1: But even what but as John.
Speaker 4: Alluded to, they put you with a big broker somewhere, a big advisor, and that advisor doesn't know that account numbers a male or female. I mean, how the hell does it turn out that women are getting the short end of the stick through investing.
Speaker 5: I wish I knew. I have no idea. Could it be that single.
Speaker 4: Women fill out those questionnaires and really maybe take a big risk of maybe they're more risk adverse, you know, than the male counterparts, because remember most financial advisors do the questionnaires and all of that crap and then send it up the line and make a commission on you. So maybe the women answer, well, it has to be that. It can't be anything else because account numbers have no gender. I don't know who I'm investing for when I have an account number, you know, when I'm a giant firm, so they're not thinking, let's do less for women than men. I think it has to be in the questions. I think it has to be in the perception. When the females are asked questions about investing, they must come back maybe in a way that denotes they want less risk and maybe more principal protection than a male, and therefore the male over time has higher returns.
Speaker 17: Would you say that, said John Well, I mean that kind of defeats the whole premise of the questions being answered identically. But here's my theory, if you will. I mean, just in my own circumstance. My wife, I don't think, has ever once called our financial person to say, hey, what's going on with the account? You know, what do you think about this? And may never ever ever want she would have to go look up the log ins to actually go log into her account, and yet historically hers have done better than mine, and I, you know, I talked to mine somewhat regularly. I try not to interfere or inject any of my wisdom, which is the wrong thing to do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 17: Maybe just maybe a completely passive investor that doesn't interfere and has the patience to just let the portfolios do what they're supposed to do. In the end, has a better outcome.
Speaker 1: Could be.
Speaker 4: Now, John, what you said about answering questions, I do ethnically on these surveys from from Yahoo Finance and the Census Bureau, the investors. These are raw returns and the investor. We don't know what the investors answered on questions.
Speaker 1: We have no idea. They didn't go that far.
Speaker 4: All they did were raw returns per gender, raw returns per gender.
Speaker 17: Yeah, so you can't really infuse my premise to analyze that. I mean, right right, I think you're probably right. I think most you know, female investors and particularly you know, single female investors are probably going to trend more conservative and and you know, long term capital growth and not, you know, not have as much of a risk tolerance as as maybe the you know, the male counterpart would be. I think that's pretty safe to say.
Speaker 1: Thank you, John. Well, we got to take a break. Coming back.
Speaker 4: Dmitri Christie's on the line for an update and we'll talk about that coming up. I'm Tom Martino three oh three seven one three eight two five five go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 5: You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 1: Help.
Speaker 5: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Hey Tom Martino here, what do you do when you go on door dash and give the wrong address? How do you change it? Come on, there's got to be a way to change it.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, how do.
Speaker 10: You do it?
Speaker 1: There's got to be a way to change your address?
Speaker 10: Can you contract?
Speaker 1: Okay, change your dress? I just found it.
Speaker 5: Oh thank god, I've just found it because it was going somewhere that I don't go right now today.
Speaker 4: Okay, I changed my address. This is a good app. I just changed my address. So there you go.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be good anyway.
Speaker 4: Three oh three seven to one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five I digress. I'm doing a radio show, right, I guess I got to get out of a door dash here. Okay, so let's talk about uh this follow up with Dimitri. I'm gonna put you on the camera here, Dimitri with us. So what's going on with Christy? Let's recap the problem.
Speaker 18: For you know, Christy called us a couple of weeks ago because she just bought a new Honda Hybrid and her complaint was that it's making two noises. One is kind of a tick tick tick tick tick sound which comes and goes, and the other one is this very high pitched wit fas circumstances all right, and and you know, it seems like most people thought she was kind of crazy really, but well, it's a it's a sound that she said only she can hear and not everybody else can hear it. There it is, That's exactly what I heard.
Speaker 1: So but you actually heard it?
Speaker 18: Yeah, Kevin from Shardon Autotech and I went for a ride with Christy, and Kevin only heard the sound once, but I heard it probably a dozen times, and it was very clear to me that the sound it's just a camp sportage. No, no, it's a Honda. I can't remember what Honda, but it's brand new, that's it. It's a really nice looking car of beautiful blue paint.
Speaker 1: By the way, for some reason, I can't find her original call. It's okay, she's here in my you're spelling it right? How am I spelling it?
Speaker 10: And I.
Speaker 4: R?
Speaker 1: Okay? Got it? Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 19: We went on a trip with my sisters last week and one sister could hear it and one sister could not, So it is selective who.
Speaker 7: Gets to hear it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm not surprised, Tom.
Speaker 18: If you can imagine a high pitched sound that borders an ultrasonic and if you see it, now, have you ever been to the to a dentist that.
Speaker 10: Uses one of those ultrasonic crew?
Speaker 1: So some people hear it and some people don't. Yeah, no, I've heard that. Listen. That's not uncommon.
Speaker 4: There are frequencies some people can't stand and they can hear and other people can't.
Speaker 18: And I think you're one of those because I think you used to hear the high pitch sound from old TVs, right, the ones with the old CRT screw.
Speaker 5: That's exactly I heard it too. Now, Oh wait, what are we going to do about it, though, can we We'll talk about that coming back. I'm Tom Martine. Stick around Christy and then Ray needs investment advice.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to him.
Speaker 4: Coming up on The Troubleshooter Show three oh three seven one three Talk seven one three eight.
Speaker 1: Two five five or three oh three Martino.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Ripped.
Speaker 1: You need that so you don't have to run ins as we can show.
Speaker 10: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 7: Come man.
Speaker 3: Is the Troubleshooter Show, No Tom Martine.
Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Tom Artine.
Speaker 10: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Three oh three seven on three Talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 1: What we do is solve problems. Answer questions, take complaints.
Speaker 4: We're covering millions of dollars for cash, merchandise, exchanges, refunds, and services.
Speaker 1: I got John Fuller with me and Fuller Law. John Fuller is.
Speaker 4: A personal injury attorney, but he's also our go to expert for other legal stuff and we use him as a co host, which he's doing today. So chime in John whenever you can. But I don't take breath, so it's gonna be hard. Christy, Uh, she had this car that's making a noise. I often wonder though, if you're susceptible or sensitive to a noise and no one else hears it, what does the manufacturer have to do?
Speaker 1: Well? Dmitri went and heard the noise.
Speaker 4: Christy says, sometimes people hear it, sometimes people don't. Would you say, Christy or Dimitri, the majority of people hear the noise or do not hear the noise?
Speaker 18: Now, based on my personal experience with hearing other high pitched sounds, I would say almost nobody can hear this sound.
Speaker 4: Well, what does what is a manufacturer to do or a dealer? When someone says, I don't like that high pitch squeal. It's a hybrid car, right.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's a hybrid car, and in my view, the high pitch sound is associated with the recharging system.
Speaker 1: I heard why only when you let off on the game, you let off.
Speaker 18: The gas, it becomes apparent and then intensifies when you step on the brakes, which kind.
Speaker 10: Of makes sense because that's.
Speaker 1: When the recharging system works at all speeds.
Speaker 19: I hear it at all speeds. But you're right, it is louder when you're coasting, and it louder yet when you're breaking.
Speaker 7: But did you get a.
Speaker 19: Chance to call on on the service to see if they've heard this from others?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I contacted two hundreds.
Speaker 1: This is what he wants to do.
Speaker 18: Listen, this is our this is our next step, and it's still on my front burner. So I'm going to follow up as soon as this phone calls concluded. But last week I left very detailed voice messages for two Honda dealers, Planet Honda and I forgot the other one. And what I asked for was for them to kind of make a joint appointment for you and me to come in with that car and discuss the sounds. See if they can hear it, see if they've heard this complaint before, and if they have, what has the manufacturer.
Speaker 10: Done about it?
Speaker 18: My question really is not it's not my intent to point the finger at Honda for making a defective ve.
Speaker 1: And what kind is it? A CRV?
Speaker 10: It's a CERV let's see hybrid. Yeah, hybrid, Yes, CERV sport hybrid.
Speaker 18: So it could be that this sound christy is within the design parameters of the vehicle, in which case our options, well, we won't have any options to fix it. But if they say, hey, look sometimes we can swap out this diode or resistor or something like that.
Speaker 1: Look what I found on Reddit?
Speaker 10: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: I bought a twenty twenty four CRV hybrid and earlier today and for the next time as I hear a high pitched whistle, Yeah, did you read this under Reddit?
Speaker 10: Nos?
Speaker 4: All kinds of people who are experienced this on Reddit once said same thing here. I have a twenty three hybrid.
Speaker 19: We did drive another carbon copy. My daughter and I drove that other vehicle just exactly like.
Speaker 7: Mine, and it did not make the noise.
Speaker 9: So even though I.
Speaker 19: Wouldn't say it's a bad design or whatever term you use malfunctioning, I don't think it's a parent or or there, and it doesn't manifest in every version.
Speaker 10: Of the car.
Speaker 1: Listen, that's what they're saying. On Reddit.
Speaker 4: They're saying select models because they've gone back and done the same thing you did and took test drives in other cars that don't have the noise.
Speaker 19: The same model, people, same year, same model, same trim.
Speaker 10: Christy Tom. Do any of those posts on Reddit suggest a fix.
Speaker 4: Here's what they're saying. Here's what they're saying. One had a Honda Engineering look into it. Information is not yet available, but Honda's internal engineering troubleshooting for they're talking about it, and I've had it back three months. The whining has been completely gone since I got it back. They didn't say what happened though. I know this is an old post, but I want to respond. I had the same noise. It's in my twenty twenty five. Can you send me the dealership that actually fixed it. Apparently Corporate Honda hasn't issued any kind of a service bulletin. However, the dealership test did confirm that there's a noise coming from it.
Speaker 1: This is weird, This is truly weird.
Speaker 19: Told me the service I went to told me they couldn't hear it, and then I had other people drive it, and then they said, oh, they can hear it, but as normal operations.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean that, so, Christy. So here's my next step.
Speaker 18: I'm gonna I think we have three or four more hundred dealers here that I haven't called yet. I started with the ones that are closest to you because you were in the springs. So let me call the other ones and let me see if I can get one of them. I'm going to call them right now, and I'm gonna see if one of them would be willing to make an appointment for both of us to come in and discuss this. Yeah, let's do that accusatory way, but in what you just did. Hey, have you heard this before? And if so, have ever been able to fix it? So I'll be in touch as soon as I make that appointment.
Speaker 4: All right, Christy, thank you for calling. We'll be in touch with you. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five? Ray, what's going on with you?
Speaker 8: Ray?
Speaker 1: Welcome? Hey?
Speaker 20: Hey, Tom, thank you very much.
Speaker 21: A first one to thank you and your team for providing the knowledge, means, and connections for those that are less informed.
Speaker 1: You do great brother, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 21: Closed on a house yesterday, which will net me after taxes, the expenses, et cetera, about one point eight.
Speaker 20: I was curious to ask too, Well, that must have been.
Speaker 5: One hell of a house. Wait a minute, you just closed on it and you're gonna net one point eight.
Speaker 21: Yes, after tax liability.
Speaker 5: Yeah everything, Yeah, even after your gain, you're gonna get one point eight clean.
Speaker 12: After my capital gains pay?
Speaker 21: Am I two twenty five two fifty and going to capitol games tax on a net about one point eight.
Speaker 8: I got a check.
Speaker 21: I got it basically a wire yesterday for two point one five and out of that I'll have at least one point eight and it's probably actually closed for one point nine something like that.
Speaker 10: Yes, okay, so uh.
Speaker 21: I was wondering if you might have any suggestions as to a certain sector in the market stock market to follow, or if.
Speaker 1: It might be best just to follow the s and p uh.
Speaker 21: Since I'm hitting the market at a very nice time, being down, if I could kind of get between now and the end of the year return of ten percent, I will have hit a home run. But it is being very aggressive, okay, given the current economic condition.
Speaker 4: No, I get you ray first and foremost, I want to ask some very stupid questions that you probably are well, but I just need to ask them. Do you have, first of all your cash emergency fund?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 21: Besides this whatever you want to call this to one point eight to two point one five? I have an additional I don't know one point eight in the market right now?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, yeah, so but do you do have an emergency and you don't have high interest at right?
Speaker 15: I have no doubt.
Speaker 21: I have three points I've in real estate totally free.
Speaker 4: Including do you do your own ray? Do you when it when you said in the market? Do you do your own investing.
Speaker 21: Partially? Approximately of one twenty eight maybe one third? Yes? The rest is handled over to an advisor?
Speaker 1: And is it again I hate to harp on this.
Speaker 4: Is it an advisor that truly works with your portfolio? Or is it an advisor who's a middleman for a big advisor.
Speaker 21: No, he's a top not tiye and producere good advisor. I'm good with for about ten ten years now with this Genelman.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 15: So he.
Speaker 1: Works with you directly, correct, that's excellent.
Speaker 21: He answers all the questions and contacts me about you know it's necessary, but once every six weeks definitely.
Speaker 4: Well, Ray, that's what you want, That's exactly what you want. So why don't you ask him? Because I don't believe Okay, I do believe in indexed funds SMP because over the long run SMP has come through every time.
Speaker 1: It's never ended a long period.
Speaker 4: I mean, it ends negative here and there, but it's the long trend is positive. But if you already this is my question, if you already have an advisor, why would you be asking about that? What would he tell you or she tell you.
Speaker 21: I'm about ready to get into that about the next day. However, I totally respect your opinion, Tom, and be listening to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, here on, here's what I would like.
Speaker 4: Okay, what I think is Okay, First of all, we are what we would do with you, and I'm not trying to you know, you already have a great advisor. I'm not trying to weasele it on it. But at least some of your money. What we would do is probably a hedge fund, and that's the and you want a hedge fund that's that thrives in volatile markets because it's going to be volatile, but you also want one that doesn't lose in a steady market. Now, most hedge funds are called hedge funds because they.
Speaker 1: Our best when the market is volatile or down.
Speaker 5: When the market does really good, hedge funds can do well, but they don't.
Speaker 4: Necessarily outpace the market. However, in my humble opinion, over the next several months, we're going to have some volatile stock markets and it would be a great time for a well placed hedge fund. And again I'm not allowed to advertise hedge funds, but they are available private hedge funds. They're called rag D funds. Ask your advisor about it. If you'd like to know about one I'm familiar with.
Speaker 1: Hint, hint, you can.
Speaker 4: But seriously, I would, but I wouldn't do a I wouldn't do the whole thing with it, but I would do a good part with that.
Speaker 1: And then there is always and ray.
Speaker 4: I talk against, not against, but I talk for and against fixed indextinuities. Depending on who you are and what you have, you sound like you have enough and you're smart enough that you're going to have some good income. But there's never ever anything wrong with putting a portion of a portfolio into a fixed indextinuity.
Speaker 1: I did that with mine. I put a certain percentage into a fixed.
Speaker 4: Indextinuity that will give me a whole crapload of money every month when I want to. And I think I said it as seventy five, I'm seventy one right now. Another thing is, like I said, the hedge fund and then the S and P five hundred. If you actually do an index fund, there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 1: Now. If you're going to do it yourself, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Just just be really careful and then you might want to ask your financial advisor about hedge funds. There are some really good ones out there. There's some really bad ones out there. Three oh three seven to one three talks seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot Com a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm just fascinated watching my door dash driver drive all over the place. And what was really weird is he went through the roundabout six times.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, and your neighbor want there he's he came in.
Speaker 4: No, it's not, it's it's before you get there's a there's a roundabout up around the not far from here, and it looked like he went around it, went around it again, went around it again, and I think I counted six times.
Speaker 1: Now, joy right. We earlier in earlier the show.
Speaker 4: We talked about cars and the woman had a problem at one hundred and fourteen thousand or one hundred and forty whatever, and Kevin was saying, look, cars, if you want them to last a long time, Japanese lasts a long time. German cars right now, you get them new, you get rid of them after three years because they have expensive breakdowns and expensive maintenance and they leak oil. So I was wondering if there was a such thing as a record holder for miles.
Speaker 1: So this is a documented case of irving Gordon.
Speaker 4: Now, Irving Gordon has a nineteen sixty six Volvo P eighteen hundred s.
Speaker 1: Which has accumulated dunt.
Speaker 4: I'm going to ask John Fuller to take a guess what it has accumulated since nineteen sixty six and mileage, and it's verified by car and driver and all those two point four million miles.
Speaker 1: You know what you're not.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised that you would say into the millions. Why did you say that?
Speaker 10: It just seems about right. You got fifty years of driving.
Speaker 4: Sixty six is fifty years. You're right, that's where knows Now? Now close to here it is, Irving Ordon. Nineteen sixty six Volvo accumulated more than three point two million miles.
Speaker 10: I was only off back.
Speaker 1: Now here's some runner here's some runners up.
Speaker 4: A nineteen ninety one Chevy Silverado one million miles, A nineteen ninety seven ford E two fifty cargo van one point three million miles, A nineteen ninety one again Chevy Silverado one point two million miles.
Speaker 1: How is that? Would you like to be part of that? Now?
Speaker 4: What's the highest miles accumulated on a motorcycle? It was a nineteen ninety one Harley Davidson.
Speaker 1: How many miles do you think, John.
Speaker 10: On a Harley, Oh, I don't know. Seven hundred thousands.
Speaker 1: To ninety one. Well it's one million, one million, So.
Speaker 4: That's pretty incredible that those are actual mileages. So getting back to investing, I'm getting some texts and people are saying, well, first of all, let me tell you what I found, and then I verified it with my financial advisement company. We found this to be so, and so I looked into it and I actually found a study that backed it up by Yahoo Finance.
Speaker 1: And the Census Bureau.
Speaker 4: Female portfolios investment portfolios routinely return less than male investment portfolios.
Speaker 1: The question is why.
Speaker 5: I mean, once they sign on with most investment advisors, most investment advisors don't do.
Speaker 4: They just pass your portfolio onto a big advisor. And again, you're an account number, so it can't be that they know your female and purposely.
Speaker 5: Invest in different things. But no matter what, it absolutely positively is a known fact that women tend to get less in investing than men. Now Here have been some explanations like texted to me, can text me by the way seven four seven fifty two eighty that comes directly to me. Now you can go through the iHeart one too.
Speaker 4: The short coat is five seven seven thirty nine, but most of my texts come through seven four seven nine fifty two eighty. Somebody said, Tom, I think you're right. It's the way they're answering questionnaires or doing preliminary interviews. Women tend to give off the vibe that they're conservative when it comes to investing, or don't want to take a lot of risk and are very very principle oriented. Perhaps that's why their portfolios end up making less money. Somebody else said, just the opposite of that, meaning it agrees with it, but it's the opposite end. It says mails are more aggressive, willing to take more risk. It comes through in their interviews with financial advisors, who then invest accordingly.
Speaker 1: That's what it's got to be. I doubt, as I said, anyone says, hey, this is a woman, let's make her less money. It just doesn't happen that way.
Speaker 4: Three three seven one three eight two five five One Clear choice garage doors.
Speaker 1: If you have a garage door, you want to know one.
Speaker 4: Clear choice doores because they have twenty four to seven service, broken springs, problems, uh anything, to do with your door. They can fix anything, the door or the opener. Here's their phone number seven to zero three seven zero thirty nine eighty seven. They're simply the best one Clear Choice Doors dot com.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seve and seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Hi Tom Martinez here three oh three seven one three talks seven one three A two five five John. I have a text here that says that they feel like they're being screwed around. They got into an accident, it was clearly the other guy's fault, but they're both insured by the same company.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know where to turn.
Speaker 4: So if they both have the same insurance carrier, what usually what finagling usually goes on, Is there any kind of.
Speaker 1: Things to watch out for with that? John Fuller Personal Injuries.
Speaker 17: Well, I mean, you know, the insurance company owes a fiduciary duty to both parties, and so technically they should, you know, build a Chinese wall or whatever you would call it between the two and they should handle it just like they would any other two accidents where they have one client that got in an accident and the other client that cost it. Now, the reality is that's not always the easiest to pull off. I mean, we've handled many many cases over the years. There are some carriers that just abuse the heck out of that, and they lie to their insurance about things like medpay and stuff. And I've caught one in particular that runs with Progressive and you know, just flat lying to their insurance a number of times about the proper way to handle things like medpay and stuff like that.
Speaker 10: So you do have to be wary.
Speaker 17: You're better off always to have somebody on your side that's been down this road many times, and we certainly have.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I always thought if they were both insured, maybe I'm thinking that that's too petty. Maybe I was thinking they're both ensured, they'll go to the one that has a deductible.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know, but you know.
Speaker 17: Meaning you're only talking about property damage when you when you think about a deductive and stuff, because they just don't come into play for the other side as.
Speaker 1: Far as personal injury goes.
Speaker 4: As far as personal injury goes, you would never use your under insured uninsured because the other party is your party.
Speaker 17: Well, you might use your uninsured if it stacks on top and your damages are greater than what the other guy.
Speaker 1: Had, So you actually treat it like any other claim.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you do.
Speaker 17: You know, with the asterisk, you're going to keep an eye on them and make sure they're doing things right and they're not trying to cheat their own right.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Somebody said, also, this is another text speaking of medpay. They said they have Fred Loyer and they noticed they did not have medpay. I was gonna say they called the agent. When they called the agent, the agent told him it was unavailable to them.
Speaker 17: Well that's really that's sad because the state of Colorado mandates that medpay is available.
Speaker 10: It's it's a required coverage.
Speaker 17: And yet I've never seen a Fred lawyer policy where the contracts are not printed out with the medpay waived. I've never seen a Fred Lawyer contract that has medpay, So how can that be?
Speaker 10: I think there's a great question to take.
Speaker 5: Well, they what they do is they get him to sign it, and turn they get him to wave it.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 17: They print the contract out already waved and have them sign the contract.
Speaker 10: But it's a found why company, But well they hate it?
Speaker 4: Tell me why a company, John, Tell me why a company like Fred Lawyer would have a vested interest in not writing medpay?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 17: In a traditional concept or in a traditional context, when an insurance company pays for medical bills for for injury related treatment, they typically have a right of subrogation, which means they had a right to get paid back at the conclusion of the case. Medpay is non separgable, which is a fancy way of saying they don't ever get paid back. So if they're insured is at fault or they're insured is not at fault, they're still going to have to pay out the amount of the coverage and they never get paid back. And that's why the insurance companies hate medpay.
Speaker 1: Why do they even have it as a product if they hate it.
Speaker 17: Because the state of Colorado said you have to have it. It's a required mandatory coverage. It all stems.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me.
Speaker 5: You've never seen a fred loyal policy where people had medpay, not one time.
Speaker 1: That's astounding. John means that they are.
Speaker 10: They are.
Speaker 4: They're talking they're insured into not taking it, but they're probably saying it like this. Listen, you can save some money if you'd knock off medpay.
Speaker 1: You really don't need it. If somebody's at fault, they they.
Speaker 10: Just pay for it.
Speaker 17: That's exactly where so I mean in the state of Colorado, the apopol party is always responsible for your medical bills, and so we don't need this coverage here.
Speaker 10: It's kind of redundant. And you know you wouldn't want to.
Speaker 17: Pay for coverage that the other guys responsible for, So just sign here and we'll take.
Speaker 10: Care of that.
Speaker 5: It's ridiculous. Okay, So that's ridiculous. But how much does medpay costs?
Speaker 1: Usually?
Speaker 4: Why don't they just charge more for it if they want to medi pay coss, I don't think charge more. They want to discourage it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, Medpay costs less than a trip through McDonald's drive through for lunch.
Speaker 5: But here's what I'm asking though, If they don't like the coverage, couldn't an insurance company make it cost prohibitive.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I guess, I guess, But then they'd only do so at the risk of losing all the rest of that client's business. And I mean, everything has to be priced based on risk and the actuarial tables and stuff.
Speaker 10: But I'm just.
Speaker 17: Saying that conceptually. When when the state of Colorado put the you know, the insurance question on the ballot, and when they decided to get rid of the no fault coverage that we had almost twenty years ago, now you know what happened was the hospitals found themselves having to treat people, which the federal laws require them to do, but they never got paid because, you know, a car accident case can take one to three years to get resolved, and if the at fault party is technically responsible for those bills, the hospitals and the ers were not getting paid for one to three years down the road.
Speaker 10: And so these.
Speaker 17: Hospitals started going, especially the municipally owned hospitals, started going to their you know, their cities and saying, guys, we're going under.
Speaker 10: We can't keep doing this. We're not a charitable organization. We can't treat people day in and day out for nothing. We have to get paid.
Speaker 17: And the legislature finally said, Okay, here's the solution. We're going to reinstate a level of mandatory coverage on the auto policies that are that are issued in this state. We're going to require this coverage. Okay, it's primarily for emergency and ambulance coverage. If you don't use it for that, you can use it for anything else. But it was a holy self serving, you know law that they put in effect.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 4: Three h three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five is to meet your on the phone with this update.
Speaker 1: Or is he going to be here? So I want to be sure you saw it.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll do that right after this. I just want to have them come on and give this update, and we have more coming up right after this. I want to tell you first about renew Home innovations and the most beautiful, beautiful bathrooms. They do shower conversions with pure porcelain sheets. They can do the walls, backsplashes, they can do countertops, you need to check them out. They do these beautiful showers with no maintenance and absolute awe inspiring. They do them in two or three days, with several different ways to finance and to pay. Renew Home Innovations dot Com three oh three nine zero four two thousand. It only takes three or four, two or three days to do this. Renew home Innovations dot com.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Hi Tom Martinez, your troubleshooter three oh three seven one three talks seven one three two five five, So we have an update on a.
Speaker 1: Problem with Wade. Wade called in in March, and he.
Speaker 5: Said in January twenty twenty one, he bought four new Bridgestone run flat tires at Walmart.
Speaker 1: That was the one over at four point forty Wadsworth.
Speaker 4: He said he got a flat in one and because it can't be repaired, he needed to buy four new tires. They told him they would pay for them, but renegged on it. Now, first of all, with run flats, it is true if you get a flat in the side in certain areas, you can't repair them.
Speaker 1: Most of the time, and if you have to replace it.
Speaker 4: In some of these cars, you have to replace all four if the mileage differential is too much and the tread wears too much. What happened in this case, Didemitri They said they would buy him tires.
Speaker 1: I doubt that.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you're pretty close, Tom. So Unfortunately, the tires that he had were discontinued, so Walmart couldn't buy another one under the warranty that he had. So the proposal they made to him and he ultimately accepted, is he buys a new set of tires and then after the tires come in and get installed on his car, Walmart will credit his credit card for the amount of the purchase.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it was a really nice offer. It's kind of you know, a little clumsy or cumbersome, I should say, but I guess, you know, that's probably how their computer works. Somebody had to pay for the tires in order for them to special order the tires.
Speaker 10: So Wade did that.
Speaker 18: They installed the tires, and while he was there, the lady who's helping him actually process the refund. So and he's got a screenshot or something like that, and everything was fine for a few days, but then suddenly the charge appeared back on Wade's credit card, and to his credit he keeps daily track of his credit card account for you know, obviously for things like this. So then he called Walmart. They said, we'll process the refund again.
Speaker 10: They never did, so where well, Wade made.
Speaker 18: A claim, made a dispute on his credit card, and he got a provisional credit and a letter from there. I just got off the phone with Wade, so he's on right now with us. He'll call us again on the sixth and so he got a letter from the credit card company saying that the provisional credit will become a permanent credit once Walmart's thirty day window opportunity to respond to this dispute passes.
Speaker 1: But what if they do respond and say he owes the money.
Speaker 18: Well, it's unlikely they will, Tom, because the letter is dated the sixth, so April six is going to be Sunday, so they really have just three more days. And Wade checked his credit card a couple of minutes before I called him this morning, and he said the charge still hasn't reappeared. So we're both very hopeful that Walmart will just allow this deadline to pass.
Speaker 10: But he'll give us a call after the sixth.
Speaker 5: Sure it was zero, Okay, cool, thank you. Now let's talk to Steve. Steve, what's going on with you?
Speaker 1: Steve? Welcome, Well, Tom.
Speaker 16: I just had I wanted to get your opinion.
Speaker 1: Last year on.
Speaker 16: A recommendation, I called Matt some paragon that's I was, Yes, problems getting stake, parm excuse me to pay a claim and okay, okay Pat. Matt came out and we signed the agreement and all that. He said, well, if I can't do anything for you, it won't cost you. And I said okay, and went through State Farm and they came back again and said no, we're not going to pay for it. So he recommended that I call in contact this attorney which happens to be in Texas, but they are licensed here in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Is that Daily Black? Is that Daily Black?
Speaker 5: No, it was.
Speaker 16: I've forgotten the name of it right now.
Speaker 22: I didn't bring the paper.
Speaker 1: Okay, what happened then? What happened now?
Speaker 16: It took almost a year, and then about well three four weeks ago, we finally get a resolution. They mediated a resolution and it came out to be the same price as the original estimate, which was fine. Then I get a stat But.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, Steve, wait, but you turned you turned down the original estimate, and you went all through this trouble to end up with the original estimate.
Speaker 16: Oh no, no, no, I didn't turn it down. State Farm turned me down. They told me, oh it was either a manufacent oh he said, or normal wear and tear got it.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you so recently recently you did win then arbitrary or was it arbitration?
Speaker 16: Mediation?
Speaker 1: And how much did you get?
Speaker 16: About thirty five thousand dollars? Which was fine, don't get me wrong here. That part was fine.
Speaker 5: Then I got to say, and how much did the attorney hold on? How much did the attorney charge?
Speaker 16: What I'm about to get to you get to The attorney charged me forty percent, which I when I first spoke to them, their input was, well, we're going to do our best to get the insurance company to pay the attorney fees. But I did have to sign it saying forty percent. So okay, I understand that.
Speaker 8: And on top of that, they charged.
Speaker 16: Me the ten percent the Paragon was going to charge. And on top of it, so they charged you, charged me all the way they charge you. They charged you fifty.
Speaker 1: Well, it would have gotten nothing if they didn't mediate Tom. So isn't this good?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I understand. Here's here's my main question. Was it disclosed to you how much this was going to cost you? That's all that matters.
Speaker 16: Part A was the forty percent was disclosed. But according to Matt when we spoke and I signed to the agreement, and if he didn't get anything accomplished, I wouldn't have to pay him what he did around and charged me the other ten percent for Matt.
Speaker 4: That's right, And Matt probably got paid that ten percent. Well, because they handled they they're looking at it. Listen, they looked at it as one big claim. And what I'd have to see is Matt's agreement with you to see what it says. It might talk about that ten percent if I understand that, But does it say ten percent if he hands it off to an attorney or if you get an attorney, or if it goes to I mean, all of that will be outlined in the contract. If not, then he wouldn't do them on tract or send it to us and I'll find out. One thing I want to tell you, Truly, Matt's a pretty honorable guy. I mean, we don't get complaints like this. It's it's a pain in the ass when you have to fight for a settlement. Now usually Steve, what really bothers me is this could have been a bad faith claim and you could have gotten treble damages or at least attorney's fees. So I don't understand why it was handled this way when they could have gone for bad faith because in this state it's easy to prove bad faith. I would ask them why they didn't do that. I'm Tom Martinez. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 5: Go with a Sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth. Please time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 8: Ripped of.
Speaker 10: New need advice, who you don't have?
Speaker 23: You come running just as fast as we can.
Speaker 2: Shooter's gonna help, coming man.
Speaker 3: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, hi Tom Martino.
Speaker 4: Here's solving problems, answering questions, taking complaints. This ho're brought to you by Dan McKenzie. We talk a lot on this show about a state planning. McKenzie Law can do that a state planning for you, whether it's a simple will or a trust means to avoid probate, to keep things private, or if you're facing probate, whatever it is, a state related Dan McKenzie can do it, live and local.
Speaker 1: The McKenzie Law.
Speaker 5: Firm eight three three co Plans eight three three co plans. Hey John, what's going on in your life? How can we help you?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 24: Hi?
Speaker 10: Tom.
Speaker 25: I have a peace property that I own the mineral rights, and a few years ago they approached me about leasing those mineral rights. They were doing some directional drilling, so not drilling on my property.
Speaker 1: During the contraest.
Speaker 25: They apparently started production and in twenty twenty two, and so I just got my first royalty check. So I've got some questions about that.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me explain what's going on. Okay, Hold on one second real quick. So you have the royalty rights, not a working interest, but the royalty rights on a certain tract of land.
Speaker 1: Correct, Okay, what's your question?
Speaker 25: Okay, So I'm brand new at this. So the lease was through twenty twenty two, and they hit in twenty twenty two, and so I have the send me an entire log of everything. They've been doing little bits and pieces here and there since then, right, And I finally got a check and it seems you know all legit and everything. Is there anything I should be worried about in this? Or is this basically what I signed up from the beginning.
Speaker 1: One thing I'll tell you is when you do a lease. I have several.
Speaker 4: I have several thousand of them, Okay, unfortunately, I mean I have several thousands of acres. They probably equate to about one hundred different oil company royalty contracts. These contracts basically say that you have a royalty interest. So whatever they do, they keep track of and they dole it out to all the royalty owners. The great part about royalties is they are strictly controlled by state and federal authorities and if anything, they will never cheat you. These people do one thing. In fact, they all used the same portal. Did you go to that's that portal to get your money? No?
Speaker 25: No, No, they sent me a paper check.
Speaker 1: They sent you a paper check.
Speaker 4: What's the name of the first of all, what's the who's the working uh contractor what's the drillers as savitas?
Speaker 1: Savitas?
Speaker 25: Right yep?
Speaker 1: Okay. And they did not they did not mention to you the the platform to log into.
Speaker 8: No, they did not.
Speaker 25: Nothing has been mentioned about digital anything.
Speaker 1: Okay. And your your contract, your lease goes from when to when.
Speaker 25: The original went from I believe like twenty through twenty one, and then they have an extension twenty one to twenty two.
Speaker 1: Why Is this such a short lease. I've never heard of that.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 25: I tried to go back and I find the original contract, and of course I can't find it. All I can find is the extended contract. So it's like I could be fuzzy on those dates. I know it's been a while.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's kind of that's really kind of weird. So let's talk about it. So you have royalty rights. How much was the check for.
Speaker 25: Twenty four thousand?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 4: So my checks are anywhere from five hundred to thirty four hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: What that tells me is what that tells me is that you are the only owner of that track.
Speaker 15: Is that right?
Speaker 10: Yes? Yes, okay?
Speaker 4: That those numbers make complete sense because if there were twenty four owners, each would get each would get about one thousand bucks, and there were forty eight, they'd each get about five hundred.
Speaker 1: So you usually my tracks, I.
Speaker 5: Don't own any of them alone. I own them with other royalty interests.
Speaker 4: So my checks this again can be anywhere from three or four hundred to three or four thousand, but never more. The reason yours is so much is you are the owner. That's really good. Now, did they say what period of time that covered?
Speaker 25: The log they sent me shows everything from twenty twenty two clear through twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Four, So that's for two years usual?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 25: Well, twenty two, twenty three, and twenty four, so three years is that unusual?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That now that doesn't sound as high to me. So that's eight thousand, Well, no, that's pretty high, eight thousand a year. I think you're right in there.
Speaker 1: You know they will they do have to supply audits to you.
Speaker 4: You know that, right?
Speaker 1: Did they give you audits of welling, of drilling activity?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 25: I have a stack of papers an inch and a half high.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to assume they're doing everything right. Okay, Now, when do you get your next check in three years?
Speaker 25: That's exactly what I'm asking you. It's like, I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 5: Well, the least the least spells out, bro, the least spells out.
Speaker 1: When you get your money. That's all in your lease.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 25: So since I don't have the original contract, is it should I can I contact them and say, hey, I don't have a copy this anymore?
Speaker 5: YE give you that?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yes you can? Okay, good, good, Yes, you can is it out this land? Tell me attorney on hand, No, you don't need it for this.
Speaker 4: Just ask for the contract, okay, and then I can have one of our people look at it.
Speaker 1: But John, I want to ask you something. Tell me about this land. How much land is it?
Speaker 25: It's only two acres?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 8: And and wow, up on the up and two edge of.
Speaker 25: Broom build two acres. And they were drilling about a mile away, and they were doing directional under all these little parcels.
Speaker 1: Now, I get it, But you struck gold there. How much did you pay for that land?
Speaker 25: About seventeen years ago? About two hundred and eighty thousand.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, you paid that much? That many? You paid two hundred and eighty grand for two and a half acres back? How many years ago?
Speaker 25: Seventeen? But I mean it's got house and everything on it. It's right.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, no, So okay, So do you live there?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to explain a few things to you.
Speaker 25: Okay.
Speaker 15: Great.
Speaker 4: The house and the house and the land are separate from the water and the minerals. So with every piece of land in Colorado, you have dirt, you have water, and you have minerals. So most people, the water is automatic. You get the water rights for that that land automatically unless otherwise stated. But with mineral rights, did you know, John, let's say that's going to produce for another ten years, do you know you can sell that for a lump sum of money to an investor, that that lease?
Speaker 10: I did have that question.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, good, You can do that. Another thing you can do is when you sell your house, retain those rights.
Speaker 1: You don't have to sell them with the house at all. In fact, if you sell your house and.
Speaker 4: You let them have those mineral rights, you basically discounted your house about ten grand, and there's no reason to So what I'm telling you is treat the minerals separately from the house.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, very good, very good.
Speaker 4: That mineral lease, that mineral lease is an asset, and you treat that asset accordingly. The older it is, the less it'll be worth, the more it produces, the longer the length, the more it's worth. And it also depends on what the price of.
Speaker 1: Oil oil gotcha at.
Speaker 4: Each Each tract of land has a nutcracker, okay, And that means that on one tract of land, you can't even begin to dig unless oil's seventy five dollars a barrel. On another tract of land. On another tract of land, you can dig. You know, it depends on.
Speaker 1: What your basis is, on what per barrel is your basis.
Speaker 4: So if that land has to have forty five dollars a barrel to break even, then you're in the money.
Speaker 1: If that land needs seventy.
Speaker 4: Five dollars per barrel to break even, then they probably don't drill. There have been all kinds of levels, with all kinds of anticipations of the mineral's market, where some people have gotten buried in leases where they're never going to get drilled because it's too much per barrel. At one time we thought oil was going to one hundred dollars a barrel. Then people said it was going down to thirty one. Thing is for sure that the price of oil will dictate what your lease is worth. So anyway, if you have any other questions to stick around, if not three oh three seven, one, three eight, two five five more coming right up, go.
Speaker 5: With a sure thing Denver's Best roofer excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content wait time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Hey Tom Martino here seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. So a while ago, Alice called and she said her son Armando took a twenty twelve gmc Arcadia to Accurate Auto in North Glen two and a half years ago. Accurate installed a rebuilt engine two and a half years ago. Now the rear main seal is leaking, and Accurate says, wait a minute, that's not part of the original installation and it's not warranted. Then we had many, many little discussions afterwards. Is the rear main seal part of an engine rebuild or not? Deputy d talked to the shop and the owner said, this main seal is not integrated into the engine like others. He said it was not part of the original engine.
Speaker 1: Installation. What is new?
Speaker 18: Well, Tom, you may recall that last week Armando had his car towed over to Shardan Auto Tech and Kevin did a diagnostic service on it and it had it had a few problems. He uncovered not just the rear main, but there's some kind of a seal blown out in the front of the engine. And Kevin also discovered a head gasket leak, which sounds like that would explain the stop leak that the original shop, the that that did the installation, That's Accurate Automotive discovered. They said that they saw the stop leak and the radiator. But any case, I've been dealing with Armando kind of behind the scenes and with Alex at Advanced Automotive, and Alex has been really great to deal with.
Speaker 10: He's the owner of that shop. He is really engaged in this process. He's very well in FUM and.
Speaker 1: He was a part of the original warranty or not.
Speaker 10: Well, here's here's where I'm going with this.
Speaker 18: So Alex very helpfully told me that the engine was actually provided by l KQ and with in the next few hours he's going to email me the proof of purchase and the warranty claim that Alex had today opened with LKQ on Armando's behalf. And the reason that I've been following on this is sharedon auto Tech offered to do the warranty sight that it's one of the vendors whose warranty for whom they do warranty and LKQ is huge, so I assume that Shared Autotech will be able to do the warranty work.
Speaker 10: So Armando, can you if you're listening, are you on the line right now?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think he is.
Speaker 25: Is he yeah?
Speaker 4: He is?
Speaker 1: Can we bring him up, Armando? There he is?
Speaker 25: Yes, this is me.
Speaker 18: Okay, Armando, So listen. Here's here's what the just to put it, just to kind of summarize. So Alex from Advanced from Accurate Automotive is going to email me the proof of purchase for this engine, which apparently is still under the three year warranty and a claim number that he just a few minutes ago opened with LKQ, and I'll forward that to you as soon as I get it. And the idea is for you, once you get those documents, get together with Kevin I Shared an Auto Tech and see if he can provide you with a warranty work on this engine. I have a feeling he'll be able to because LKAQ is just a huge dealer of these remanufactured engines and I just pulled up their warranty on their remanned engines and it's a pretty good warranty.
Speaker 10: It's three years unlimited.
Speaker 18: Mileage and it says that the warranty can be done at any and I'm quoting licensed automotive repair facility. So I shared an auto tech works with LKLQ. They may be able to handle this warranty claim for you. So are you okay with getting together with them and starting the warranty claim process?
Speaker 14: So yes, I've been in communication with Kevin and his team there at the at the automotive shop.
Speaker 22: And then we're with Isaiah.
Speaker 14: He's the one that's been the lead on my vehicle, and he said that he reached out to you.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 14: He said that he reached out to LKQ last Friday to see if they had any records on their books in regards to that purchase around that time, because Alex was not trying to release anything to me or Dmitri or anybody else in regards to where the engine was purchased.
Speaker 13: We didn't know if it was.
Speaker 14: Purchased from ALKQ Jasper, if it was from a Junkyard right, any of that information. The only thing that he was given us was that we were under warranty from his shop, which was the three year, thirty six thousand mile warranty. But that's not what I was originally given. Whenever I purchased the vehicle engine for the replacement, they said that it was a remanufactured engine and that it would be three year unlimited. But I didn't know where that three year unlimited was coming from, if it was a business.
Speaker 18: Or Yeah, Alex is Yeah, Alex has been very very helpful to He's been a great guy to work with today. And he's going to email me this afternoon the proof of purchase from LKQ and the warranty claim number so that you and Shared Nototech can can follow up on this. So I'll email all that over to you as soon as I get it. So when you get off the phone, can you please make sure to text me your email address.
Speaker 14: Yes, My text and Armando with the current phone number are to Dimitri.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, Susanne. Would you help him get We need to get his email.
Speaker 18: That's yeah, that's it. Susanna is going to get your email address. Yeah, well, just as soon as we're done with this phone call. So, Amanda, I think you're on the road to you know, I think you're on the good road here. You just need to make sure that you and Kevin are or you and Isaiah are on the same page regarding who pays for what, because you are going to have some sort of a fee. The LKQ covers up to fifty dollars per hour of labor, and I'm pretty sure nobody charges only fifty bucks, So you are going to have some component to pay for and just make sure you and Isaiah know exactly who's going to pay for how much, so that neither one of you has an ugly surprise at the end of the repair.
Speaker 10: Does that make sense? So you're okay with that plan?
Speaker 8: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 10: Cool.
Speaker 18: Well, awesome, and I'll stay in touch with both you and Isaiah and we'll keep following up on this matter until your car's back.
Speaker 15: On the road.
Speaker 5: By the way, Trump derangement syndrome has gotten into the marital arrangement. There are a number of divorces recently that have been attributed to political differences. Most states have no fault divorces, but they still put down a reason.
Speaker 1: Listen to this. This is what one lady wrote. My husband was one of the.
Speaker 5: Nicest guys on the planet when I married him twenty five years ago. I saw him get brainwashed with all of this magabs through the years, and it's changed him for the worst. He makes the worst, vile comments about people and won't listen to anything. It doesn't matter if you drove him. Something is disinformation.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 10: Did Susanne write that he.
Speaker 5: Has always he always has an excuse. Honestly, I've lost all respect for him.
Speaker 4: We've instilled the no politics rule, but he often breaks it and we end up arguing.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering.
Speaker 4: If it will silently sink in when inflation keeps rising, our taxes go up and we lose our social security. One other person wrote, I got married to a Trump lover. Knew it at the time, but figured it would work out.
Speaker 1: It didn't.
Speaker 5: Her morals were the same as Trump's and she lacked integrity.
Speaker 1: We're getting divorced. Wow. Listen to this one.
Speaker 4: My ex boyfriend and I had a relationship since September twenty twenty four. But then I was okay with the different political views and his reasons to vote for Trump. When he asked why I would never vote for Trump, I said, to start with, I am a woman. He then started to change and became distant. He tried to sell me some conspiracy theories, and one day he said he wanted to start going to church.
Speaker 1: That was it for me. Anyway.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you, if politics has gotten into everything, I'm Tom Martine three oh three seven one three talks seven one three A two five five go with a sure thing Denver's best rufer excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call company insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martina here three three seven on three talk seven on three h two five five.
Speaker 1: John Fuller's with us by the way, when he's not here.
Speaker 4: If you need help with any personal injury claim or information, it's three oh three five nine seven forty five hundred five nine seven forty five hundred.
Speaker 1: Hey, Ray, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Ray?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 13: Actually it's r Z.
Speaker 8: Ray is my is my cousin.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, find.
Speaker 13: Up a probate.
Speaker 8: My first name is Rzy Miss Martin r z.
Speaker 1: Ar rz E.
Speaker 26: My last name is Hammock h am mc k. I'm trying to find a good probate attorney because I'm going through some changes with a.
Speaker 13: State that.
Speaker 8: I'm supposed to be the.
Speaker 1: Person personal representative.
Speaker 26: I spent more than eighty thousand dollars in stuff and I'm getting the running around.
Speaker 4: Okay, Rzi, let me ask you a few questions. The estate that you're the the estate where you're a personal representative, is that located in Colorado?
Speaker 13: It sure is right here in Denver.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now, was this a relative?
Speaker 13: She's my oldest sister as well.
Speaker 8: The other end is my mom. Both of them passed away here.
Speaker 1: But you're the personal representative.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, Now, when you said you spent eighty thousand, what did you spend that on.
Speaker 26: I've spent it on attorney fees. I've actually spent more than that.
Speaker 5: And but why have you spent I don't get how much is this? How much is the estate worth?
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Approximately. You must know something. Did she have cash or was it he or she with? Did they have cash? Real estate?
Speaker 1: Cars?
Speaker 4: You must know what it was worth. If you take all the assets and subtract.
Speaker 1: All the loans, what would it amount to all the debt is.
Speaker 13: Property and money. My mom is property and money.
Speaker 5: But there are two separate estates, right, I'm sorry, two separate.
Speaker 1: Estates, one for your mother and one for your sister.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, okay, Now what I want to know is why did you spend so much in attorney's fees.
Speaker 26: Well, I've been getting to run around to get something done and taken care of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but tell me what you spent the money on when you were when you if you eighty thousand dollars, eighty thousand dollars is way too much to spend on this. What was it for?
Speaker 12: We don't know.
Speaker 13: We don't know.
Speaker 5: Are these estates worth five to ten million?
Speaker 1: Five or four?
Speaker 4: They're both worth about four million combined. Yeah, Okay, what's the name of the state attorney you dealt with.
Speaker 13: I'm looking for an honest attorney.
Speaker 4: I got too honest attorney. I got more than two. But listen, here's where you want to go. Keel and Park, kill and Park.
Speaker 1: That's who you want. Keel and Park.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like the keel of a boat, put a knee on the end, and park, just like a city park. That's right, kayas and Kill. Okay, that's keel and Park. Here's their phone number.
Speaker 1: Nine to seven zero eight one eight okay, eight one nine eight.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 4: They'll do all your consultation free and then come up with a price I think you need. First, well, I think you you way overpaid legal fees right now, way overpaid. Somebody is robbing that estate blind. And that's what that's what I hate about. Well, this attorney, how did you come to hire the attorney that charged you eighty grand?
Speaker 1: How'd that happen?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 13: Walter, Walter Garrash used to be my mother's attorney. Okay, uh, and he mister is deceased.
Speaker 1: Okay, wife worked for.
Speaker 13: My wife worked for a firm.
Speaker 26: And when this got to going and stuff, all kinds of stuff started to go on, and they just there was still in involved and wanted to put somebody else in mind.
Speaker 4: Well, hold on, well you still haven't answered me. You haven't answered me. Man, what okay, person, what law firm was it?
Speaker 1: Tell me what it is? Will law firm?
Speaker 8: And Ferguson William okay and Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Well, you need to get this a state reviewed. And I think your idea was good to go to an honest attorney. Kiel and Park are who you want.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, and really they're gonna be good.
Speaker 1: You're gonna love it.
Speaker 4: Call them and tell them the problem that you have two estates you're trying to settle and you have no idea where you are. You see, this is the problem with a state planning. These lawyers see that people are inheriting in a state, and they think how much can we get first? That's how most of them work. How much can we get for ourselves? Not how much can we keep the cost down? So RZI, trust me when I tell you kil and Park they're a cut above. They're totally different. You'll love them. Three o three seven one three talks seven to one three No problem, man, three oh three seven one three A two five five CMG Financial.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for a reverse loan, that's right.
Speaker 4: They're doing financials and they're doing excuse me, they're doing reverse loans and they do them quickly and efficiently. Talk to John at CMG John Clace three oh three eight A two six sixty seven nine.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two they're all sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter three oh three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 4: I cannot say enough about probate. It is one of the topics that makes my blood boil. Public trustees they're called or public administrators, should be called rapers and pillagers.
Speaker 1: They go into an estate.
Speaker 4: And they do not, in my opinion, exercise the fiduciary responsibility. A fiduciary responsibility is a high standard.
Speaker 1: It says that you will execute the duties for the best interest of your client.
Speaker 4: What they do is they come into an estate and start charging outrageous fees, commissions, all kinds of stuff. They use subcontractors they know, and by the time they're done, there's very little to distribute. Don't ever get into a fight or an argument with your family to where the judge appoints a public trustee or a public administrator. We've had cases where brothers and sisters couldn't get along and as a result, a public trustee came in. Now the brothers and sisters who didn't get along.
Speaker 5: Would have gotten about eighty grand each about eighty grand each, but they couldn't agree to it. They got a public administrator involved, thinking it would be some just arbitration. The public administrator takes over, you have no control over the estate any longer, and instead of getting eighty thousand, they got fifty. So the question is where did thirty sixty ninety one hundred and twenty thousand dollars ago to the administrator.
Speaker 1: What did they do for it? Very little. It is one of the areas of law where.
Speaker 4: There is total abuse in chaos, total abuse and chaos. So instead of telling you how to deal with them, I tell you don't deal with them ever, don't ever deal with them. You will lose every single time. John Fuller, our personal injury expert and co host from time to time, I have a text here.
Speaker 1: I got to find it. They want to know that.
Speaker 4: Have you ever even though they didn't, you don't handle property damage? Did people ever have enough money left over to fix their car or buy another one?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Yeah, absolutely, But I mean, listen, the standard is not that you're able to go out and buy your next vehicle. The standard is where you compensated with the fair market value of the one that you had. And so nobody goes out and tries to find the late model vehicle with the same number of miles as the one they got totaled. They want the newer model, the one with less miles, the couple years younger. That kind of stuff, and no right put enough money in your pocket to do that transaction.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good to know, So really, you know that says it all so when you have an accident, this is another one. You say, medpay is no fault. How do they even get access to their medpay? This person doesn't even know what to do. How do you get access to it? That's a good question. Okay, so you've had an accident.
Speaker 17: In addition to setting up a claim with the at fault party, assuming you weren't at fault, the next call that you make is to your own insurance company and you tell them you were in an accident and you have the medical payments coverage, and you need to open a claim and get a medpay claim number, and then you will use that claim number with any of your medical providers, just as if it were an insurance policy that they can build directly to and get paid.
Speaker 1: And then that is not subrogated at the end. It doesn't come out of the settlement.
Speaker 10: Nope, not at all.
Speaker 17: They have no right of subrogation, and the at fault party has no right to offset for what medpay might have paid, any more than they would have to offset for what your own private health insurance might be.
Speaker 1: Well wait, wait, wait, wait, hold on a second.
Speaker 4: Let's say an MRI is indicated and medpays Medpay pays twelve fourteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Are you telling tell me that the other insurance company can also pay for that.
Speaker 17: They're not also paying for it. Let's let's let's look at it like this, Tom. Let's say that you get in an accident, you're damaged, and the other guy is at fault. He's responsible for all of your damages. Part of your damages are medical treatment, including an MRI. Now, if we know that that party's responsibility includes all of your medical damages, why would they be any less responsible If you happen to have really good insurance that enabled you to get the MRI for less money, or if you had bought and paid for the medical payments coverage that allowed your own company to pay for that MRI, you wouldn't because to do so would be to disincentivize your you know, responsible act of getting good insurance for yourself. So, as a practical matter, we don't give the at fault party any credit for those bridges and stuff that you have on your own that you've bought and paid for.
Speaker 1: All right, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. We learn a lot on this show.
Speaker 4: Give us a call with any problems questions and complaints. Call three oh three Martino three oh three six two seven, eight four sixty six or three oh three seven one three talk.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're contenth.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real Estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Rip News. Need a best so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come running as as can shoot us Gonna help come.
Speaker 3: Man dix is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine, Hi.
Speaker 4: I'm Tom Martine here to help you solve problems, to answer questions, to take complaints. All you have to do is give us a call three oh three seven one three Talks seven one three eight two five five Alan he joins us to talk about insurance and branded titles. Whatever's on your mind every day aches and pains, the things that make us tick, the things that tick us off.
Speaker 1: Alan, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 26: How's it going Tom?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 15: Thanks for having good man.
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 20: So I bought a car.
Speaker 27: And it had a branded title, and I'm trying to figure out how much insurance I need, okay, and so I thought maybe you he or you guys might have some ideas.
Speaker 1: So you bought it knowing it was a branded title.
Speaker 20: Correct?
Speaker 1: When did you buy it?
Speaker 24: Uh?
Speaker 15: A few days ago?
Speaker 1: And what kind of car is it?
Speaker 27: It's a it's an Aston Martin Vantage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Aston Martin Advantage. What year.
Speaker 15: It's an eight?
Speaker 4: Okay, here's what's going to happen. So was it a total wreck that was rebuilt from salvage?
Speaker 27: Well, my understanding it was it had slight blood damage, but the insurance company told it. But it's a beautiful cars in great shape, runs great. I mean everything. I can't tell anything is wrong with it.
Speaker 5: But it is a brand No, there are many times, Listen, there are many times. There are many times when people have a slightly flooded car, or hell damage or other damages.
Speaker 1: Like odors and stuff where they total a car. But it's not a wreck.
Speaker 4: You know, we always think of total cars as res but once they're bought by the insurance company, they must be branded as salvage.
Speaker 1: The problem you're.
Speaker 5: Going to have with insurance coverage is not how much to get, but how much they'll pay you in the event of an accident. Normally, if you normally, if you have a salvage title, you're going to get a fraction of the cost for everything covered.
Speaker 1: So you shouldn't pay You know, how much did you pay for this car?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 15: You won't believe it. I got it for ten ten.
Speaker 1: Around ten grand.
Speaker 27: Yeah, and it's a it's an acid Martin Vantage and thea what year?
Speaker 1: What year is it? How many miles on it?
Speaker 24: Uh?
Speaker 27: Thirty?
Speaker 8: Dude?
Speaker 1: You know what, you got yourself a hell of a deal. Holy crap.
Speaker 27: Yeah, wow, I could have passed it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, let's get our insurance guy on you.
Speaker 8: Hang on.
Speaker 1: I'm going to bring Brian Burns up to talk about this.
Speaker 4: It's a good topic and he's a broker, so he'll tell you straight up what you do with that. Okay, So hang on real three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. John Fuller's with us our personal injury expert for the day and our co host from time to time, so we are getting occasional text back about that topic. We also are getting a lot of texts on the woman who could hear a noise and only Dimitri could hear it and no other people hearing noises.
Speaker 5: Are not necessarily covered by warranties. This one text says, who the hell did that? That was?
Speaker 10: That was Christy. That was from her original call.
Speaker 18: And by the way, Tom, I'm discovering that no hounda dealership GM will return my call on this matter.
Speaker 10: So I have a feeling it's I have.
Speaker 18: A feeling they know about this and they just don't don't want to open a whole can of worms, do you think so? Well, why else would they pass up the opportunity to play a hero and advise us on the typical technical aspects of this topic.
Speaker 10: Why would they pass up on that?
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think that well, it could be they don't know how to address it or they don't know what to do about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just that because not everyone hears it.
Speaker 4: I haven't happened to feel that there's not anything they are at fault at I mean, what is that.
Speaker 1: Fault of emanating a noise? When does it become a fault in the car? John? What would you say?
Speaker 10: Gosh, I don't know. I mean, it's so hard to even you know, how do you even prove it?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 4: What do you got to do?
Speaker 17: Get a meter in there to prove that it's not something that's completely subjective.
Speaker 1: Exactly, or something somebody's feeling. Here's the deal.
Speaker 4: We've had really strange cases where things only showed up for one person. No one else could hear it or feel it. Has anyone ever heard of the the Santa Fe? By the way, are you as sus are you getting Brian burns On?
Speaker 1: I have a message in to hear from him? Okay? Has anyone ever heard of the Santa Fe?
Speaker 10: Santa Fe? Thump?
Speaker 1: Trapper?
Speaker 10: Has house hum?
Speaker 8: Mexico?
Speaker 1: Is it the hum?
Speaker 10: There's a hum?
Speaker 1: It's am.
Speaker 10: And people can hear.
Speaker 18: Some people can hear while they're flying in an airliner at FL thirty two over.
Speaker 4: It's it's a mysterious persistent, low frequency humming, rumbling, or droning noise that residents of Taos, New Mexico, claim to hear while others completely are unaware of it.
Speaker 1: Did you hear it when you went?
Speaker 18: No, I didn't hear it, thankfully, but people in airplanes report hearing it.
Speaker 10: From FL thirty two.
Speaker 4: The tous hum is a low frequency sound often described as a faint, droning noise. People have had to move away, while other people buy their homes for a song and don't hear anything. Some people say it might be inner ear function, psychological local industrial noise, or elevated electromagnetic field levels. But how does that how does that reconcile to the fact that not everyone hears it?
Speaker 18: Well, we're all wired a little differently, and I mean it's an aaligant.
Speaker 1: Are we really?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 18: Well, look I can hear the whining sound from that Honda, but most people can't. Dmitri interesting and I'm not imagining it because Kevin from Sharon Autotech heard it once.
Speaker 1: What were you saying? Somebody just talked so that tom.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 25: I also thought that Santa Fe noise might be related to the navy and submarine communications on a very low frequency.
Speaker 1: Really, well, why can only some people hear it? I think, like says, you know, some people only hear certain things. That's right.
Speaker 4: So here's the point. If you have a situation like that with a car, the question is when does it become bothersome and a warranty issue. That's something that's never addressed. There are countless examples on searching right now of cars with noises. That's one thing I can't tolerate. If there's a little squeak or a home or something, or a little rattle in a car, it just drives me crazy. By the way, the quietest car I've ever owned is this BMW X seven. The quietest I've ever owned, more so than a Mercedes or anything else. I'm not saying it's the best car. I'm just saying it's the quietest car.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 4: The noises car was the g Wagon Mercedes g Wagon as much as they're touted anyway. We're waiting to hear from Brian Burns Allen, so hang on and we'll see what he says about insuring branded titles, because nowadays a lot of people are voluntarily going for brand branded titles because they feel they can save some money. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter show.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure Thing, Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 1: Help.
Speaker 5: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank to the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Hi Tom Martino here three three seven one three talk three three seven one three two five five. Now remember this case we talked about with Cameron. Cameron moved here from Texas, an Army veteran, and he signed a lease with Spyglass Creek Apartments, and a day or two after signing that lease, his cars were towed from their parking space.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't told. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: They were booted because they said he did not have parking passes. He had requested parking passes, but they had not gotten them to him. He has proof he was a resident by for sure. The cars were parked there legally he was a resident, but just because he didn't have that sticker, they booted it. Now, once they realized the mistake, you think they would just unboot it.
Speaker 1: Why not.
Speaker 4: However, we were having trouble getting the Spyglass Apartment management to see it our way. In fact, Exodus Gricksby, believe it or not, that's the guy's name. Exodus Gricksby, the assistant community manager, indicated that they were probably going to keep the money or not keep the money, but not refund or credit that.
Speaker 1: See, it doesn't cost them a dime.
Speaker 5: They go put a boot on there and if it's a mistake, they can just take it right off. But Exodus Grisby said he wouldn't do it. And when we called Spyglass Apartments, they said it was up to him. And then we called the tow company or the boot company, and they said they had to get work for management.
Speaker 1: We were being jerked back and forth.
Speaker 5: Bo got really upset Deputy Bow about this and wanted to go out and investigate.
Speaker 15: Bow.
Speaker 1: What did you find?
Speaker 12: So Tom as, yeah, this actually this goodbye.
Speaker 23: He's an evil manager. He had full authority to remove those boots as stated.
Speaker 8: By the boot company.
Speaker 12: He would not do it. He was very unreasonable. He did not give Cameron or his girlfriend these parking passes or parking stickers today they moved in, so I just wanted to wait and get talked to him, and he called the Denver police on me for trustpass and I actually gave helped them give the description to me so the police could come find me. There's no way they could give me a trust passing ticket because I was there as a guest of Cameron Dean. So with all of this back and forth, I Cameron went back to the apartment and I was waiting for the police and I did a little investigation. There's absolutely no signage in the parking lot that says they can boot. So I was there until three thirty. Police did not show up. Well, they showed up on another matter, and that was a different thing. There was actually a fire to put the apartment that was taking care.
Speaker 23: But when I went back, CAMRA's girlfriend paid the fee. Doc generously offered to pay for one of the boot fees, but Cameron Camera's girlfriend was just so sick and tired of all the back and forth commotion. With exodus being they needed to find work. They just moved here from Texas they had job interviews, so she paid. There was a three hundred and eighty dollars fee to remove the boot.
Speaker 12: But what was strange about it? I said, well, how could the boot be removed?
Speaker 23: Because I was sitting at the entrance of the Spy Glass apartment and I didn't see the Metro Parking boot company come in to remove the boot.
Speaker 8: When you know something, they don't have to.
Speaker 1: They don't have to.
Speaker 12: Now, someone from the management, someone from the apartment maintenance, from the department.
Speaker 23: Building removed the boot.
Speaker 12: They didn't even call anybody, and they could have very easily taken this illegal boot off.
Speaker 20: I was so mad about it.
Speaker 23: I wanted to cut the boot off because I just thought it was totally illegal. And that next day I called the PUC and I was able to file a formal complaint against Spy Glass Apartments in this booting, and they are in the process of conducting an investmentation.
Speaker 4: Let me just tell you something, this Exodus Grigsby is a piece of crap. You hear me, Exodus Grigsby, You're a piece of crap. You're an evil person and you just want to cause pain and misery. You have a little authority, so you get the big time, the big time boner here and all you want to do is three ninety eighty is Grigsby's number. He's a scumbag that he lives to inflict misery on people. That's my opinion of this guy. Here is a veteran who came here to live. He had a signed lease. All you had to do, Gricksby is go in and see that he had assigned lease number one, number two. See that he requested parking passes number three.
Speaker 1: Unlock the damn boots since you are the guys in charge of it.
Speaker 4: But that's exodus Grigsby Spyglass Apartments seventy one hundred East Smithssissippi, Denver. Here's their number three OZH three seventy five to three ninety eighty. Do we have a corporate office for these idiots?
Speaker 1: You were gonna call Bo? I thought? Or somebody was gonna call the corporate office?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 15: That was me, Tom.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you want to just let them know what they're doing locally? And how stupid it is?
Speaker 26: Tom over?
Speaker 1: What a couple hundred bucks?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Tom? Someone suggested they should file a complaint with the PUC if they did anything wrong. Well they'll get his. Bo did that?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, Bo did it?
Speaker 20: I haven't.
Speaker 1: I just want to go ahead.
Speaker 12: Normally, these media.
Speaker 23: Relations people are always stand offish, but when I made the follow up call to find out how the investigation was going, she said, I am really glad for the Tom Martino show. You guys do a lot of good for people with these towing and booty issues, so.
Speaker 8: That made me good.
Speaker 5: Excellent, that's really good. So what were you saying, bo? I mean, now, what were you saying?
Speaker 18: Du You know when both started working in this case, I helped him out a little bit last week, and I did track down the owner of that apartment complex. It's a Florida company, a really big property ownership company called pride Rock Capital Partners.
Speaker 1: Pridewalk Capital Partners, Okay.
Speaker 18: And they're according to their website, they have a map and it looks like they're in between ten and fifteen states.
Speaker 10: So I left.
Speaker 18: So I called them, believe at least twice. There's no answer, but I left a voicemail and asked them to give us a callback to kind of discuss this issue if they.
Speaker 1: Have any instru mentioned a veteran and all of that.
Speaker 18: I didn't mention the veteran part, but I did mention that we're working on a story about you know what, to me appears to be a suspicious booting, predatory booting practice.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, there's no warning.
Speaker 8: Signs right bo No, and it's a skin.
Speaker 23: It's this manager Sammy needs tenants that most of them are low income and they don't have the money or the where with all the data. I mean, it's just illegal always.
Speaker 8: And just scam.
Speaker 1: Now here's what I want to say.
Speaker 4: Here's what I want to say, real quick, guys, hold on, she can go to small claims court and get that money back because it's going to be hard for him to prove their signs when there's no signs. Plus the PUC do both. But I suggest you go to small claims court.
Speaker 1: What did you want to add to?
Speaker 18: Pride Rock Capital Partners never return my call. They seem to have no comment on this matter.
Speaker 4: Capital Partners. I mean, look at the name. They're not you know, I guess they're not very proud. I want to leave a message for him live on the air.
Speaker 1: Oh, I want to. I want to. We'll get that number. We'll do that after the break.
Speaker 4: Pride Rock Capital Partners owns the project and they and they did not return calls.
Speaker 23: Okay, PUC is going to call me hopefully tomorrow with camera's permission to give me an update of the investigation.
Speaker 12: So they are actively investigating it, which is good.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We got we got partial victory here in that. We got the PC interested. We're gonna follow this through. Yeah, they suck. We got more coming up.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Hi Tom Artino here, we have Brian Burns with us for this question.
Speaker 5: I want to ask Brian is with Compass Insurance Group, home of the free insurance checkups to make sure you're not over or under insured or paying.
Speaker 1: Too much three h three nine nine six nine thousand.
Speaker 5: Brian Alan bought a branded title, meaning the car had some minor flood damage and they totaled it out, So it's a branded title. He bought it for a really good deal, no matter why.
Speaker 4: It's a two thousand and eight Aston Martin and he has a really good deal on it, and he bought it for ten grand.
Speaker 1: He wants to know about insuring it. What will happen in a collision?
Speaker 5: Coverage or how do you let's notice ask this, how do you ensure those kinds of cars?
Speaker 22: Well, so, a lot of branded or salvage titles. I don't know if this is a salvaged or not.
Speaker 1: But that's what it is.
Speaker 22: It is a salvage title. Okay, because sometimes branded in Colorado means like it has hail damage. But the words it's still drivable, it's not a safety issue. Salvage.
Speaker 1: Well, let's ask him. Let's ask him Alan does it actually say salvage.
Speaker 24: It says salvage. Yeah, but it's it's operable. I mean, it runs great.
Speaker 1: No, I get it, I get it. Let's talk about ensuring it.
Speaker 22: Yeah, so it's going to be difficult to get. Well, you're not going to get any kind of physical damage insurance on it unless you have it rebuilt a rebuilt title, which means that you have gone undergone all the uh you know, you go through the DNB, you provide the documentation of any kind of repairs that you've done to it, and then they can rebuild. They will give you a rebuilt title at that point, and then you can put physical damage coverage on the vehicle.
Speaker 5: But if but other than that, he won't ever get he won't ever get comprehensive. He won't ever get comprehensive or anything like that.
Speaker 22: No comprehensive or collision. It's going to be a liability only.
Speaker 1: What if somebody steals the car that he doesn't get any of it? Oh, no coverage, it's just liability only.
Speaker 22: If it's a salvage, it's already been paid out. It's it's been total. So the value of the car has been paid out already.
Speaker 8: I get it.
Speaker 1: So do you get that, Allen.
Speaker 5: You're not going to be able to ensure it. You're not going to be able to insure it for your yourself. At least you can get liability and drive.
Speaker 24: So here here's here's a question for for Brian. It's not it's not going to be a daily driver. Right, it's just going to be one of those cars that you know, we drive on the weekends and maybe date night.
Speaker 15: That kind of thing.
Speaker 22: What about a specialty carrier like Haggarty. Yeah, yeah, I mean that would be an option. If it wasn't a salvage title. They still look at the title work. So if it's a salvage title, they're not going to cover that. They're not going to cover for physical damage. Again, the whole meaning behind that is that the that the insurance company paid out the full value of the car, it's already been paid out, and and someone bought it back from the insurance company for salvage, and meaning they just said, hey, you know what, this is all paid out. This is what you can buy it back from us for. But at that point it's not insurable from a from a physical damage standpoint.
Speaker 24: All right, So listen, rebuilding a title or rebuilt title, is that difficult to do?
Speaker 4: Yes, Wait a minute, It doesn't mean you have to rebuild it. It just means that now now needs to be inspected by the state police exactly.
Speaker 24: Okay, So you you apply for it through.
Speaker 4: The state police, okay, and then they inspect it and then issue a brand new ven number.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, but listen, I want to talk practicality, Yeah, I want.
Speaker 4: I want to talk practicality to you. This car, you pay ten grand, that's your basis. Insurance is going to cost on that about fifteen hundred to eighteen hundred bucks. So you are paying twenty five percent almost of the value of that car to ensure it.
Speaker 5: Why not just uninsured? Just not have it insured. What does the most going to happen if you lose the whole thing? It's ten grand. I mean, I know it's worth more to you in your heart, but you only pay ten grand for it, no matter how you look at it. And what I'm saying to you is just drive it. I mean, you're already in it cheap. If you have to put a couple grand for a wreck into it, you do it yourself directly. You'll you'll get a deal with a body shop anyway, and you're not dealing with insurance. Why would you want to go through the headache of a re of a rebuilt title with a brand new ven number and then fighting with insurance on how much you're gonna get if you are wrecked. Because if you're thinking you're gonna get what it was worth. You're not even even with a rebuilt title.
Speaker 1: Brian. It's not gonna get less, it's not gonna.
Speaker 22: Bring no unless you have documentation of the repairs bringing the value back up. In other words, you've done all the work necessary to make it a vehicle that now has an insurance value. But to do that, you're spending Brian money rebuilding it.
Speaker 4: I know, and Brian, I've known people who did the I Car standards for splits and cars and clips and all of that that they do.
Speaker 1: They built it with the top top integrity and skill.
Speaker 5: They got a rebranded excuse me, they got a rebuilt certificate with a new ven number, and they still could never get the insurance value of a comparable car without that never.
Speaker 22: Yeah, yeah, And it's to your point, your you're going to always be in a battle situation showing documentation of what you spend here to be able to get the value that you think you should deserve out of it. But I guess my point.
Speaker 5: And if you don't even drive it that much, you even said Keven said he doesn't drive it that much, all the more reason don't ensure it.
Speaker 1: As long as you have liability, you're covered if you.
Speaker 5: Hurt someone, But if you get wrecked, hey man, that's the breaks, that's the smart money. That's It does make sense because of your basis being so low you're arguing for something.
Speaker 4: If you're thinking, oh, this thing is worth fifty sixty grand, you're never going to see that, never once.
Speaker 1: Brandon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for calling. Three h three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Brian, again, we appreciate that very much. This always comes up when it comes to the value of what you're ensuring. Just because you spent a certain amount on something doesn't mean you can insure it for that. And that goes for projects, hot rods, antique stuff, boats, whatever.
Speaker 4: You can't necessarily ensure it for what you have in it. There are stated value policies, and I don't know if Brian is still there.
Speaker 1: Is he he is?
Speaker 5: Brian, explain what a stated value policy is and when you cannot use it and when you can use it.
Speaker 22: And it's not the phrase you want to use for what you're talking about. Stated value is not what's the phrase agreed?
Speaker 1: What do you want is what you want?
Speaker 22: So stated value is stating a value for what what you say your car is worth or whatever it is that you're stating, and the insurance policy will only pay that value or actual cash value, whichever is less. That's what stated value is. Agreed value is whenever you come and you have the value agreed upon with the insurance company and they agree to pay that value in the case of a loss. And that's what you see with classic vehicles like you were referring to. But they they will usually require documentation in order to come to that agreement. If it's above what they see as the value, then you have to have an appraisal done you and then you come to that value together.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So a greed value versus stated value yep. Okay, And what you want is stated value. I know should be a grade value agreed yep.
Speaker 5: Stated because if you do a stated value, you can say it's worth fifty grand, they'll say, okay, fine, but they're only going to pay you ACV.
Speaker 22: Exactly exactly, so you're paying for the And the only reason you ever use stated valuing you have to sometimes is for let's say like an RV, because they don't have the technology where you put a vent in and it comes up with the value for the rating. It's for a rating purpose. It says, Okay, your purchase price on this was what it's one hundred thousand dollars. Okay, Well, one hundred thousand dollars goes in the stated value, but if the time of loss, it's not in a greed value policy. It's actual cash value. But they're rating it off the value of one hundred thousand because that's what you paid for it.
Speaker 5: I got it, I got it. We got more coming up. On the Troubleshooter Show. Hey, I'm Tom Martine.
Speaker 4: We were talking about branded titles and how you're never going to get the same value from a branded title car then you will from one that did not have a.
Speaker 5: Brand or did not get totaled by insurance. Jay, you have something to talk about with that in regard to branded titles.
Speaker 20: Hey, Tom, Hey, the number is a VN number is like your your car's DNA never changes, no matter what the status of the title can change, but you'll never get a different viin number.
Speaker 5: Well, Jay, I personally personally was with a guy who did a clip and you got a brand new VEN number.
Speaker 1: I don't now this will mind you. This was ten years ago. Yeah, No, he was literally issued a brand new VEN number.
Speaker 20: The reason they don't ever do that, and they're not really supposed to, is because that title gets followed through that vehicle's life. Very often what people will do is they'll take something like that and they'll figure out some way to get around it, which they're not supposed to do because it has a terrible history that you are not supposed to ever get a new VT number. That is the DNA of that car, it's where it's been, its law enforcement, it's insurance, it's the ownership, it's everything to that car.
Speaker 5: Well, I true mean this. We did a story one time on clip. We did a story one time on Channel four about clips people who put salvage cars together.
Speaker 4: Front half back half and how most of them were not using what's called I car standards, And we made the argument that there are a lot of cars out there that are running around very dangerous. They get into an accident, they'll fly into pieces. They won't crumble like they're meant to crumble with the unibody.
Speaker 1: This was a whole story we did well.
Speaker 5: During that process, we accompanied a guy who rebuilt the car by ICAR standards, had it inspected by state police and was issued a new VEN number.
Speaker 20: That probably wouldn't happen today because they're much more careful of stuff like that nowadays. Back in the day, I could call call DMV with somebody's license plate now and get their home address. But that stuff's kind of gone. Those days are mostly gone.
Speaker 4: Listen, here's what they said. If the VIN number is legible and intact, they will not reissue. This keeps the vehicle the original VIN. It's marked rebuilt or reconstructed after passing inspection. If the VIN is altered, missing, destroyed, or there are two VIN numbers.
Speaker 1: They will issue a new one. So you see, I was dealing with clips which would have been two VEN numbers.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's a whole lot saying plus plus you have to be certified with a lot of things nowadays. Where I had a friend, he worked at a Toyota shop, so he'd buy Toyota's and do that. He did a really nice job. He's very honest about a bit.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, some of these rebuilt cars are just like just like new.
Speaker 20: Yeah, there are times when they're as good as any ever and sometimes even better. Because like the way he did it was was the perfection. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, we gotta we gotta go.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, guys three zero three Martino for help, information, referrals, Save all your problems for me