Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray. I'm WBZY Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to cole lots going on tonight. But first things first, I want to give a big shout out to two regular night Side listeners and in Jane in Hyde Park. They live up in the Fairmount section of Hyde Park. And bumped into one of these lovely ladies today and it's a mother and daughter who listened to Nightside every night. And I just can't tell you how much I appreciate all of our listeners, but particularly those who I bump into and say nice things and how much they enjoyed the show. And Anne and Jane, I hope will put a good show on for you tonight, and thank you so much for your loyalty to Night's Side. And I don't have to tell the world how I bumped into one of you today, but it was a very pleasant experience. Very pleasant dental experience. Let's put it like that. I think people will know what I mean. I'm delighted, how I'm terrified at the dentist goes way back, folks, this is like childhood memories. I'm sure some of you can identify. But I have finally found a great dentist and a great team with that office, and I in Jane, thank you so much for being part of the night side team. So having said that, I'm going to tell you what we're going to do tonight the show that you're going to hear. We're going to talk with the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board tonight at nine o'clock about what's going on with the MBTA, and there's a little bit of good news with the team. Normally we and to be pretty critical of the TEA, but let's see what we come up with tonight. And then later on tonight, beginning at ten o'clock, we'll talk about the weird nomination of Matt Gates. President Trump now has given a second nominee an opportunity to be considered the former attorney general of the state of Flow. My nominee would have been, as I said the other day, former Assistant Attorney General in the Bush administration. Bush forty three, John U Professor John Yue of UC Berkeley. Great guy. I know him very well. Tough as nail, smart as a whip, and I was communicating with him this afternoon. I think I Pam BONDI might be wonderful. I get it, but John, you would have been spectacular in my opinion. So we'll get to all of that a little bit later on. Let me welcome Rob Brooks, who does, as always a fine job back in the control room for us. He'll set you up with phone calls after nine o'clock and in the meantime we're going to go to the night Side News Update, which is the recent, well about a year and a half now tradition of Nightside And we will start off tonight. And I got all of my notes here and we'll have everything in front of me and we'll be and we will be all set. Going to start off with a gentleman who is attempting and I certainly think he will be successful walking across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts's name is Dave Pilar. Dave. I always want to make sure I pronounce people's names correctly. Have I come close to you? I hope? Fullar Okay, well we've changed it a little bit. Full Are, first of all, congratulations on this this effort. It's for a great cause. Uh And when is it going to happen? Because I don't think the weather's going to get any better between now and may here in Uiga. What are we talking about?
Speaker 3: So we're gonna attempt, starting next Friday, November twenty ninth, to run across the state of Massachusetts. It's about one hundred and fifty four miles over the span of four days, hopefully finishing on December second, Monday, December second.
Speaker 2: And we're doing this very ambitious. That's pretty ambitious. So forgive me for having said as a walk, I was thinking of the State Auditors walk. This is a run. So you're going to try to click off about forty miles a day.
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 2: Well, what what is? You got a great cause here though again you've desig understand it been dealing with some medical conditions, not anything that's going to be totally debilitating, but kind of what I would consider to be a serious disease. You're thirty three year old guy uh and you you're a footwear designer, designed to stand that, and you tie it all together because you've done design work for the Museum of Fine Arts, David Ortiz's Children Fund, and Sean Thornton's Foundation. Former a Bruin player, how do you how does this all come together? Give us, give us the big picture.
Speaker 3: I have first and foremost. I appreciate your time, and I appreciate you allowing me some space to share the story on your show, So thank you very much. But yeah, it really just it comes from from twofold, right. The first is I think as we grow and get older, we develop a perspective of how you know, our adolescent years can really shape form, inspire and develop our mindset for many, many years to come. And so our goal is to raise fifteen thousand dollars for UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center here in western Massachusetts. It's where I reside, and so they're a local hospital. They treat a number of children from toddlers all the way to youth teens, and so I figured this is a great opportunity to give back. You know, no child wants to spend the holidays in a hospital, and so if we can raise some funds to buy children's toys and bring smiles to kids' faces, I think that's a really beautiful thing. And then you mentioned, yeah, you know, growing up, I was diagnosed with Crone's disease. I was in and out of hospitals and different medical centers growing up. And while today it's under control because I've learned a lot about my diet and a lot about fitness and all these other great things.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It did form a perspective for me and how important our health is. And so this run is something to my knowledge and limited research because it's not really well documented. I'll probably be the third or fourth person to attempt this feat all the way from the New York border to Boston, and so I'm just excited to document it, to do it, and then also raise funds for an amazing cause.
Speaker 2: So can folks. You must have, I'm sure you have a website. I'd love you to share that website with the audience so that maybe they can follow you beginning on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving through that weekend, clicking off forty or so miles every day. I mean, I can't think of doing forty miles in one day, never mind doing and I'm in pretty good shape. But you know, you got the hills of Worcester in front of you. Boy, I'll tell you it's gonna be. So how can folks fall you this and how can they help you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They for sure, thank you for that. You know, you can either google my name David falar Fi l A R and more than more times than none, it'll come up. But the website is just giving dot com backslash page page backslash David dash Falar uh, and it'll bring you to the fundraise page. We as I mentioned for our goal is fifteen thousand dollars. We're at thirty two hundred dollars right now, and we're still eight days away, so I have really high hopes that we'll be able to do it. You know, five dollars, ten dollars, fifteen, whatever people can give to bring, you know, a smile to the children's faces of this holiday season. That's really that's really the goal. But yeah, you know social media, if you want to follow along, I post daily videos on TikTok it's just under my name, or on you know, Instagram or you know, the hospital has been really tremendous at supporting with their their media team, and so you can either follow you mathematical or you a mass memorial and or myself at David Fallar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at the Instagram account right now and people, I'd advise people who are on Instagram to give it a look, and if not, you can go to the website. David Filar, thank you very much for what you do, Thanks for joining us tonight, and best of luck. I don't want to say may the force be with you, but may the weather be with you. I hope.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate that. Yeah, absolutely, I appreciate. I appreciate your time to thank you for the space.
Speaker 2: Well, you are more than welcome. Thank you for what you do. We get back when we talk about another great cause with a former congressman from Pennsylvania. I'm talking about veteran suicide. Patrick Murphy's a former congressman, under Secretary of the US Army. He's very much involved with face the fight against veteran suicide. We'll be talking with Patrick Murphy right after this break. This is WBZ in Boston. If you just happen to be picking us up on a car radio anywhere east of the Mississippi River, we are in iHeartRadio station. WBZ is a legacy station in Boston. You can get us on the iHeart app pretty easily. You also listen to us at WBC ten thirty on your AM dial. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. We'll be back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by former United States Congressman Patrick Murphy. He was a member of Congress from Pennsylvania for four years from two thousand and seven to twenty eleven. And it's a Democrat, a veteran, and I think we need more veterans, whether they're Democrats or Republicans in Congress. Patrick Murphy, Welcome to Nightside. How are you Dan?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, buddy. I'm going to be in Boston tomorrow at the Convention Center for the one hundred and fourth Annual Social Studies Conference. But I love Boston and spend a lot of time at the JFK Library, etc. And just it's good to be on your show. Well, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Well my pleasure, that is for sure. We're going to talk about the fight against veterans suicide. I've heard the number that sticks in my mind as we lose anywhere between twenty or twenty two veterans to suicide every day. Is that true?
Speaker 5: It's true. Unfortunately, and since nine eleven, since our nature was attack, then we've lost over one hundred and twenty five thousand. For my brother and sister veterans, and it is preventable. Dan, we got to do better, and that's why I'm sharing the space to Fight initiative. It's a private center of that initiative, but you know, we got to break the stigma that mental health is just as important as your piscal health.
Speaker 2: No question about it. And one of the things that we've talked about up here, not to get into the politics of this, I promise you, is that we've had a lot of conversation about how migrants are finding shelter in Massachusetts, and every time we talk about the subject, it's invariably people come up and talk to me about the veterans in Massachusetts who have served the country in many cases, you know, suffered either physical or psychological wounds, and some of those who are wounded psychologically, uh, don't even want to stay in shelters uh and find themselves in the street. And we're just not doing enough, uh, not only to prevent veterans suicide, we're not doing enough to care for the veterans who we have sent off to a combat situation or or or we have you know, accepted their their service for a term of years, and when they're out, they're kind of out on their own. What what can Why is it that a country that we revere veterans, but we don't tend to to follow through with with any with as much support as our reverence would suggest we should give. That's the only way I can take.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the part of it is, you know, we we train these young Americans up to be you know, world class warriors, and you know, three or four to five six months to train them up. And then when they're done and their term of service is over, I mean that's pretty much it. We give them a week or two of transition assistants, et cetera. But you know, we got to do a better job at that that warm hand off that when they go back home the places like Boston or Cambridge or or Talkting or wherever. Uh, you know that they're that they know they have a job, they know that they you know, fall back in to another tribe. And that's why, you know, I encourage, you know, when we have two hundred thousand active truths to become veterans. Every single year, I encourage them to, Hey, you got to keep up with your pet, your physical training. You gotta go join a gym, whether it's a CrossFit or a crunch or whatever it is, right, just you gotta, you gotta, you know, do what you can to get after it, because you know you might not find a purpose driven life in the nine to five job. So you have to find a tribe. You have to put yourself out there because, as you mentioned, our veterans are civic assets to this nation. They want to continue to serve and as the Bible, you know, teaches them at the beall Catholic, you know, we have to have a servants heart, and we have to treat those least among us, and those veterans who've given so much, the least we could do to take care of them when they come home.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a couple of groups that I'm very much involved in. One it's called Hope for the Warriors. A guy out of Pennsylvania like yourself, former NBA player Jack Barron, is a big buddy of mine from for decades and Jack who is a Republican. I went to Duke and then had twelve years in the NBA and came and went back to Duke law school and also the Veterans Defense Project out of Minneapolis. I have a friend of mine who's a US attorney, former US attorney out there, guy by the name of Hank she who's trying to come up with a model program. The only two states that have this perfect what I considered not the perfect program, but the best program for veterans who find themselves in a little bit of difficulty legally speak as a lawyer on Nebraska in Minnesota. And I don't know if you're familiar with either of those projects, but there's a lot of people out there who are trying to help. But I wish we could get everybody a little bit more coordinated under some similar umbrella. Do you have you can you share that that sense? Can you can you understand what I'm saying about that absolutely?
Speaker 5: And then you're you're you're, you're absolutely right, and that there are too many of our brothers to veterans that are drowning in a sea of goodwill. There's forty six thousand veteran service organizations out there, right, and so that's why we're trying to do and show people the best in practice when it comes to our veterans' mental health. And that's why they can visits their website we face to Fight dot org and it's really this private center led effort by Reach Resilience by us AA, by you man and these patriots over Twiner Partners and Elizabeth Dolt Foundation over Twitter partners. Then people know that they can make a difference. Go on the website. It's free for everybody. Go there, figure out, Hey, if there's someone in need, if there's a veteran that's you know, question, if they want to go on or they need some type of interaction. It tells you the best practices, It tells you how to get help. You know, of course there's you go down nine eighty eight, But we want to make sure that people know that don't get help us, don't feel there's nothing you can do. Everybody can get involved. When we ask less than one percent of our nation to serve, it takes all of us to ninety nine percent to stand up and make sure that we stand with them, shoulder or shoulder and live by that ethos Dan that we leave no one behind.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, absolutely, from the battlefield or from the battlefield of life. So the website is we facedfight dot com. And the number that you mentioned yet is a hotline for veterans who find themselves in trouble. Two quick final questions. My censor is that both the parties, both the Democrats and the Republicans, have failed out of Washington, DC. I don't know if you agree with that. I know that you're a former you know, congressman, and that's not to throw shade on people who are there. Seth. Molton is a very good friend of mine, a colleague of yours, you know, both in wartime and and and in the political world. Although I don't think your terms overlapped, if I recall correctly.
Speaker 5: No, but I helped them in the primary. I'm a big fan of set and I was just with them the other day. I served with Joe Kennedy. It was from you know out there Mesteres and yep. And I'm on a board called Homes for our troops there and tald We've got over three hundred three homes for veterans, you know, in need, so listen. Yeah, And I'm not being put by I do think part of the problem is, then, is that it used to be after World War Two, people like jfk and George Bush said they came back home, they ran for office. Four every five members of Congress were veterans. Now, then it is best than one out every five. So that's why I, you know I and again some of my best friends who I served the army with our Republican that are serving in Congress. You know one I was a professor west Plain web. The bottom line is, though, is that whether they run for office or not, we need more veterans in office. But we all need to step up, especially during this crisis of suicide. Death by suicide is preventable. Please visit the website. It's called it's you know, Face to Fight Initiative, but it's we facedfight dot org. They get joined the part. If your company or you personally want to join us, it's sign up again. It's free. But we need to make sure that we break that stigma, that people know that there's help out there. We support the best and veteran service organizations are out there that are saving lives every day. But we all got to be part of solution. We just can't just pitch about it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, least comment Pat and I again, I commend everything that you're trying to do. But my dad and probably your dad or uncle came back as member the Greatest generation after having served, and when you think about it, we have Harry Truman was a veteran of World War One, Dwight Eisenhower obviously the commander of the invasion of Europe D Day. Then you had President Kennedy, you had Lyndon Johnson who was a veteran, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan. They all served at different levels, so we had a span of about you know, it was a good thirty years of the Greatest Generation, and since then we haven't had as many veterans, certainly not the percentage of the Greatest Generation. And that's why I hope more veterans, both Republicans and Democrats, Democrats like yourself and Republicans like Eli Crane out of Arizona who have had on the show get involved politically so that you can continue to fight for your brothers and sisters in arms up there.
Speaker 5: In the positive, Big Dan, is that on this national ticket, just a couple of weeks ago, we did have two veterans of the Vice pression, got Tim Walls and JD. Vance, both through served Honora Bly both are great a market veterans, uh, And so that's a positive part. But I hear you, yep, I'm with you in that fight.
Speaker 2: Uh. And what are you doing up in Boston? Is this an event you want to plug tomorrow? Is you're just up here participating?
Speaker 5: Happened to speaking? It's all the social study teachers in America, the leaders of different departments across the country. They're coming to Boston. Happens to being Boston this year. It's the hundred Forts or at the Convention Center. I'll be speaking from about one about one that I think two fifty five. So I'm up on stage with Martey me and do I serve with and now he's the President U MASS He's a great American and we'll be there. It's free for folks they want to swing by. But you know, we're talking about you know, civics education, about why it's important that unfortunately most Americans don't They can't name three branch of government, you know, with the executive, legislative, of judicial, and it's like rock paper.
Speaker 2: So many people that pat they kn't named their governor, they can't named the U. S. Senators, they coun't named their congressman. Uh. It is in a a state of abysmal ignorance. And I blame a lot of the school systems for having downplayed just the concept of civics. I had a ninth grade teacher at Boston Latin School many years ago. I've mentioned his name before. His name was Jim Darerty, mister Daugherty. I got excited about this simply by by civics in the ninth grade at Boston Land School. And when you see me and tomorrow for me tell him. I said, hello. He's a deer and a great and an old friend of mine as well. Pat so Patrick Murphy, former a Democratic Congressman from Pennsylvania, continuing to fight military veteran and also continuing to fight for veterans we facedthfight dot Org. Pat Murphy, thank you very much. Pleasure to have had you on the show. And anytime you want to be on. We could do an hour on this. We can do it remotely. We can take phone calls from people all over the country on night side, so we'll get that much right back at you. Welcome to Boston, all right. We gonna break for the news at the bottom of the hour. When we come back, gonna talk with doctor Danielle Dubin about a new form of skincare, beef fat. I'm not sure that she's a big fan of this form of skinfare. But we'll find skincare. But we will find out. And then at eight forty five, the one and the only, the Great Kevin Paul DuPont KPD, Boston Bruins legendary Boston Globe Hockey scribe, as he would say talking about the firing of former Bruin's coach Jim Montgomery. We'll be back on Nightside right after the break at the bottom of the hour for the news at a thirty.
Speaker 1: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I know quite a bit about weight loss, but I do not know too much about beef fat, which is, as I understand it, the latest skin skincare trend. Yeah, beef fat with me is doctor Danielle Dubin. She's a germantologist with Mount Sinai Hospital. Doctor Duban, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me, Dan.
Speaker 2: So beef fat, I what do I do? I take the fat off my steak and rub itum. It has to be a little more complicated than that. Tell us about it. I'm in the dark on this one, doctor, I'm all ears.
Speaker 6: Well, it's somewhat like that, but a little bit more refined. So beef tallow or beef fat is basically fat that they took from whichever animal. In this case we're talking about a cow. They melt it down, they strain it to get out any impurities, and then they bring it back to room temperature and you end up with this sort of creamy substance. That's what people are talking about nowadays, mostly because I think there's a trend for natural and organic, which is why this has recently been trending all over TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess my question would be, just because it's so organic, how did those organic carrots work out a week or so ago with the outbreak of E. Coli? So is this legitimate? I'm wondering if you're here to dispel it or to say, hey, there may be some benefits here.
Speaker 6: So what I'll say about beef tallow is that it's possible. Theoretically it has some benefits because it does have similar properties to our own skin. It's very high in triglyceride, vitamin AD, E K, and B twelve. But the caveat being it hasn't really been studied at all in human models. Anything that's out there in terms of efficacy is based off of stories or based off of mice models. So maybe we're onto something, but it hasn't been scientifically proven at all. Versus, there's so many other great products out there that have been extensively researched, natural products such as virt Extra Virtic, coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, tumoric that have been studied and those do work. The beef tallow might be the next thing. Who knows, it just needs to be investigated.
Speaker 2: More so, how does something like this get off the ground without, you know, some formal government testing and government approval? Is there? You know some gen xer or gen z you know movie star who who is pushing some some product on a late night TV show? What's the story to hear? You must know what's going on. I have no clue about this one, because when I read this today, I thought to myself, Wow, I think.
Speaker 6: That it hasn't really originated from any one source as much as people in general wanting to have something more natural and being able to say this is some you know, animal drive block products. But to that point about it being natural and organic, I will say, the only study that they have done is shown that beef powow is bad for the marine life, So don't put on the beef towel and then go out into the ocean because you're going to hurt their beefs. But I'm not sure where it came from. I think sometimes things trend on TikTok. I mean, there were people who were eating tide pots two years ago for no good reason. So I'm not really sure where the beef towel came from, but it's here, and I think it's worth to be investigated further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there's this. There's this, this article from a couple of days ago. I think it's the Washington Post has the latest skincare trend, be fat, Yes, be fat, and it's exactly what you say. Beef tallow or rendered. Be fat is lauded on TikTok as a natural skincare treatment dermatologists say may help soften dry skin, but it's no better than conventional moisturizers. And I just know there's something about that that that kind of freaks me out. Apparently, some found some fellow named Hunter Block Uh founded a mallow with his wife, Lauren Uh, and they're they're big part of the story. I had never heard of them. When did when did this first sort of catch your You follow this closer than I do? When, Uh, when do you? When? When did you first catch this story?
Speaker 6: So there's been rumblings around the internet for several months, but I think I probably started hearing about about it back in twenty twenty three, but it definitely gained moment, especially where you have these companies that are marketing in such a way that it has the essential oils and added to it, so it's not just like putting on some befat. It's like it's more cosmetically elegant, it smells better. So it's been picking up steam in that regard, but I'm not sure exactly how circulating, because beef tallow actually does a back century for being used for skincare purposes. So there's nothing new under the sun.
Speaker 2: As they say that, that's pretty surprising. So you mean, when you say centuries, you're talking about five to a thousand years ago people were somehow thought they know how they figured it out, or fifteen hundred or something. To me, it's fascinating that with all of the testing sites that we have and so much that we have done, there's always something new that comes along or pretends it's to be new, but it's maybe, as you said, a derivative of something that was used by our ancestors centuries agoogists. You're a dermatologist, would you try this at this point or no?
Speaker 6: So I never say never. I would always try something. But if I'm ever going to try something new, what I advise myself as all as my patients is that do a test spot of it and apply it to that test spot for seven to ten days and make sure you don't develop any reaction. If you don't develop a reaction, you find that it's helpful in the area that you're using it by all means. But I will say I think there's much more effective treatments out there for dry skins. And when it comes to acne, I would be very careful because there is some TikTok going around that that is helpful for acne. But I would argue the opposite. You're basically putting unrefined sat on the face that it's going to block up the board even more. But every person should do a test spot before before incorporating into their regime.
Speaker 2: So would you would you say test bot? I assume you're talking about like some where on the inside of your forearm or the inside of your wrist, somewhere that that is easily accessible. And even if it does cause a little bit of a rash, it's not going to cause a rash on your face or in your forehead or something like that. You're not saying you take do a test.
Speaker 6: One's what you're using it for. So if you're going to be using it for general moisturizer on the body, sure do a te pot anywhere that's not visible. But if you're going to be using on your face, which again I'm not sure I would recommend, I would do a TEP spot on a discrete area of your neck because the skin texture there is going to be more similar to that of your face.
Speaker 2: Great well, very helpful information. Danielle Dubin. Doctor Danielle Dubin, thank you very much, and thank you for taking some time tonight, you know for us. Really do appreciate it. I learned a lot from this. I'm not going up tomorrow and buying any beefat for myself, really honest with you, but I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway. Thank you, doctor Dubin. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. We get back and talk a little bit of hot The Bruins have a new coach and interim coach, Joe Sachel. We're going to talk with Kevin Paul DuPont. There's nobody in Boston that knows the history of the Bruins better than I. In my opinion, that Kevin Paul DuPont will be back right after this with more on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, the Bruins have had an interesting start this hockey season. They're about one quarter of the way through the season, and nobody that I know of has more insight and perspective on the Original Six and and their newer playmates than the great Kevin Paul DuPont at the Boston Globe. Kevin, how are you tonight?
Speaker 4: H Well, Dan, how are you?
Speaker 2: Great to be with you. It's great to have an Original Six game going on at the Garden tonight between the Boston Bruins and the Utah Hockey Club formerly the Phoenix Coyotes. Formally, where were they before Phoenix? I'm trying to I want to.
Speaker 4: Well, they were they were Arizona, and then they previous that there they were Phoenix, but before that they were Winnipeg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, sure, yeah they weren't. They weren't the California Golden Seals. That's all. No, no, So it's it's tough to watch Montgomery get axed the other day. He was not somebody who had been here a long time, but he certainly had some New England roots, and it looked to me as if he lost the locker room.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Yeah, it's it's always difficult to tell that. I what what he definitely lost was was the ability to come up with any answers to to to. You know, I hesitate to say motivate these guys, But I'm a little reluctant to say that he lost the room because within the last two weeks they fell behind in another bad game in his hometown, which is Saint Louis Now. They fell behind two all after forty minutes, and then they rallied back for three goals in the third and they won it. So if you've packed it in on the coach, or if you quit, it's hard, it's you know, it'd very hard to rally back with three goals. I just think I think it's a confluence of reasons here, Dan, but among them is they don't have that much talent in the lineup. That doesn't let them off the hook for their bad performance here over the first quarter. But it is true. It's not a great team. And if you know, if you followed along, they've lost a whole lot of talent and culture in the last few years, with losing Rask, losing Chara, losing Bergeron, losing Cretchy. The truth is you're not going to go out and just replace Bergeron and just replace Chara, who's really the greatest free agent hire in the history of the game. But they haven't replentied underneath with kids who've got some of that talent, and that's because of poor drafting and some bad traits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like some of the signings from last last summer or have not quite worked out. Look, Jeremy Swayman had a holdout. How do you allow a situation like that to to develop. I mean, such a critical player played so well even in losing last spring looked like the reincarnation of Jacques plant And yeah, I don't probably no one else in the audience knows who we're talking about. We talked about Jaques plant but that's that's neither Hood Gump Worseley. But that's neither here nor there. What it isn't a question of timing. I kind of think it's a question of conditioning. What's happened to Swayman. You know, a bad baseball players going to slumps. But this is a pretty big stump for goaltender.
Speaker 4: It is, And so much of the gold tend game. You can talk about mechanics and technique, they're all pretty much the same now in terms of technique, I think more than anything with Swaymen. And this sounds sort of a thin or maybe excuse, which I don't mean it to be, but so much of the position for a good goalie is confidence or any goalie, but you get a guy who's he's got legitimate tality. He's proven that. Whether he's a franchise goalie, we're not sure. Certainly they've paid him that money to be a franchise goalie, and their reluctance to do that was they were saying they weren't convinced yet. So right now it's looking like maybe they were right. He's still got something to prove here. I think what will happen with Jeremy Swayman is he'll get reframed in this reset with the coach and he'll start to gain some confidence. That's what you would hope anyway, And I've got enough belief having watched him these last two to three years, I think he'll come back and start being more than at goaltender.
Speaker 2: Have you had a chance to spend any time in the road with these guys this year?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and they'll be in Detroit.
Speaker 2: You know what, what are the other what are the other you know, writers and broadcasters around the league asking you, because there must be some questions that, Sannio, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah? The common the common one has been how is it Montgomery's fault? Given the two years he had? If you go back two years, Danny at the best regular season record in the history of the game sixty five twelve and five hit a very good last year, a very good season last year, especially given the fact that that was the first year without Craigie and bergermon So the focus really has been on, you know, where are they in terms of talent? And why why should this be Montgomery's issue? And that's that's legitimate when you've got a guy who's performed that well and you look at what he did these past two years. Part of this is this is systemic. Is that what we've touched on here is some bad trades, bad free agent signings. Is once you kind of solidify your team with that July one free agency, which is a free agency period that really lasts about six hours at most because the top end talent it's free gets signed. Once you come out of that, that's your team. You know, that's really your team until the March trade deadline because most of these guys who are top end players have guaranteed contracts. That's the case with this team. No move guaranteed, no trade clauses. So again your maneuverability. You can play around Dan with the third and fourth lines and the sixth and seventh defenseman, but big in season trades, they just don't happen. What you see is some inter moves the trade deadline because the six or eight or ten teams that are out of it, they'll move some talent ahead of losing them as free agents. And they did that here. You remember a couple of years ago they went out and got half away, they went out and got Orloft, they went on and got Bertuzzi, and it looked like they were loaded going into the playoffs, and of course they got bounced in the first round by Florida.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's frustrating. It's funny. I think of all the four major sports, this is the one that is most team dependent. Meaning if you get a great pitch and that can carry in baseball, if you've got a great quarterbacks as we found out here, that can go a long way. And in basketball, if you got a couple of real good players, you can you can surround them with some bad players. But if you have a weakness in hockey, third line, fourth line, you know, second tier defense, it's gonna it's gonna bite you every time. And that's what makes me a little bit concerned that this team's going to have a tough, a tough road. They may win tonight against Utah, they're up one nothing going in third period, but when the better teams come in, I wonder if they had the talent to match up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your point about all parts being important or bang on, Dan, you know you do have to have the third line, the third line, guys you've got to have the goaltender, if you know. I think they did a lot here with what I call the holy trinity of a good team, which is franchise defenseman in Sharra, franchise goalie in Rask, franchise center and berger on. Not a lot of teams get those, get the holy trinity like that. So not unlike owing to the B s O. Dan, You know, yes, everyone focuses on the on the great violins, right and uh, you know what what else would you what do you focus on? But the truth of it is you still have to have the fat guy in back who plays the tuba, and that makes the concert too.
Speaker 2: And what about the guy with the triangle that would have been that would have been my instrument if I was in the B s O. That's that's that's critical to hey, Kevin.
Speaker 4: Great Christmas pops where the guy in the back plays those clapper.
Speaker 2: Things critical critical, Kevin. Great to catch up with you. I miss seeing you at the rink because I'm doing this nighttime talk show here and I well, we'll have to catch up. You're one of the great guys in this business. Hall of Fame, writer and observer of a great game thanks, thanks my friend. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, very nice, Dan, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Very welcome. Thanks Kevin, talk soon we get back. We're going to talk about something that is also a much maligned to organization, that's the m bt A and will we will get after it. I promise you. We're going to be talking with the the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board, a very important person, Brian Kin, right after the nine o'clock news here on night Side