Speaker 1: Stuck at home, bored and alone. You'd think I could have some.
Speaker 2: Fun on my own, but not bold.
Speaker 1: If with Cecily and Stephen.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, and welcome to bored a f you know what it is like back to basics, because we really are.
Speaker 1: I think I'm kind of bored. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't do well without like my routine. When my routine's off, do.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Yeah? Well I don't. I yeah.
Speaker 3: I need your vacation. I need a steak k I need a staycation. I need to get the flood out a app Well.
Speaker 2: I'm having a vacation because I haven't had to record too much because uh I pre recorded for for Crying out Loud, and I'm realizing, like I like recording, like I like feeling needed. I need people to need content for me. I need to be doing something. Do you understand that.
Speaker 1: We're different like that. I do understand.
Speaker 3: I would like to go unplug somewhere and I don't know where.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: I you know, when you picture in your mind like this is ooh, I see myself with a Pina colada on a beach, and I don't see that. What I see is like wearing a coat near a volcano in Iceland. Really, that is what keeps it. It's calling me. Iceland's been calling me for years. It's definitely on my bucket list, and that is like a plan. But I also don't have a lot of money, so that's a problem when it comes to plants, because then when you do save a little money, you don't want to spend it all on Iceland, right, you know what I'm saying. Yes, that's the thing where you're like, well that is the that's the catch. But even like this holiday season, I mean I didn't really have any time off, like from my other job. I think we had like two days off, but you know, you could still send stuff in if you wanted. So if that's on the table, like I'm like, huh, so I don't know, I haven't had like a what do you mean by if you want to Like, if you have articles and stuff that you've written and you want to send them in, you know you're not like they can't block you from doing that. So I always I never really feel like I can't. I always feel like I have to be working with my radio jobs, like they're all off, they're like one of them was like, yeah, we're taking two weeks off, but if you want to send reports in we have someone filling in. And I want to be like, I don't want to send if you're taking off, right, why do I?
Speaker 1: But they don't say it like that, They're not.
Speaker 3: Like mad if I do, I feel it on myself, like I'll send reports and I don't want to do shit for like one week, you know, right, the only thing I wanted I'll do with you. That's the best. That's the best thing. Like that is just us chit chatting. So that doesn't feel like work.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like work. Yeah, that's your point, But I kind of feel like that.
Speaker 2: I guess I feel like that with several of my jobs because you know, like I also miss like Lynett and I are not We're taking two weeks off, and then I miss my job, like I miss Like I'm like, but I have things to say, and like why am I not working?
Speaker 1: Just write them down? You write them down? Yeah, And I do. I write them so hard.
Speaker 2: I just like, I just I just write them longhand like I just scribble really and.
Speaker 3: Then crumple them up and throw them away. That's the best way to joke. Someone told me that once. They're like, when you're writing jokes, write them on an old, nasty, crusty receipt and then just throw away the receipt because you're never going to find it again.
Speaker 2: Like, well, yeah, because you're yeah, that's the that's the worst I would Okay, if I was still being a stand up comedian right now, it would go so badly because, first of all, if I'm honest with myself, I was never good at remembering jokes, even when I had a decent memory, like that was my thing, that was like my try. I was always scared if I had to do especially like a TV thing. I was always like, how am I going to remember the joke? Like what if I forget while I'm on stage? Oh my, I would be so happy if when I did gigs where there was a where they offered teleprompter, which did happen. There were a lot of gigs where if you did TV, a lot of times they would give you a teleprompter.
Speaker 3: God, I would feel like I'd be so lost and wouldn't be able to read that.
Speaker 2: Oh I was pretty good at teleprompter, But if you didn't have teleprompter, then I always felt scared like that I might forget and then it would always be so embarrassing, like, Okay, what if I'm like I forget and then I'm on stage, like I'm in front of the camera and I don't remember my joke. That's just going to be so humiliating. So I was I was always worried about a lot of things going on at the same time, and it was never really that fun for me.
Speaker 1: But now I just think if I.
Speaker 2: Ever had to do it now, it would be a hundred times like then, I for sure would forget.
Speaker 3: Stuff right, and then everything's forever. It's not just going to show up on TV one time. It's going to be on every TikTok. It's like if you fuck up, especially you're like, h everything sucks. Can I say, can I give you an unpop opinion? Yes, this is I've been thinking about this all week and I feel like this is going to get as canceled. Oh, and I've really thought about it a lot. But I was like scrolling insta and this instareel came up with get ready for to be mad? Okay, But Conan O'Brien was telling a story on Colbert right, and I have something about how Letterman gave him a gift once he gave him a course, and I was so annoyed with Conan, like, I don't think I like Conan O'Brien. I'm sure he's a nice person, but I think he's a terrible interviewer.
Speaker 1: Doesn't let anyone talk. He yells, He screams every story so loud. You agree, I.
Speaker 2: Agree, I agree, I think overhyped. Not as genius as he thinks he is.
Speaker 1: He's had very good writers over the years. Yes, I'm sure he's a nice person. He's just so loud in the story.
Speaker 3: And you could tell the Colbert and I know, perhaps I'm projecting, because I felt that way, and I felt like, you know, you're like, I know he sees it, but you could see he looked exhausted. The bear looked exhausted in the conversation. That would be like okay, yeah, But then then what he was trying to lower the volume.
Speaker 1: By himself lowering the volume. I could tell I've.
Speaker 3: Been there, Oh, I just screaming. Just I almost want to play it for you, let me see if I can get it up. But like, I mean, I don't know if that's going to be something you want?
Speaker 1: Is there like a desperation do you think to.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean by a desperation, Like is there like, Oh, I haven't had a show in a while, so now I have to really yell my jokes.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think he's always I've always always annoyed me, even as like like when he was on and everybody was like Team Coco, like calm down. Everybody just calmed down, Like, yeah, I'm glad he got a show, but he was so victimized by like by the tonight show a little thing. Yeah, like, yes, okay, I I prefer Conan to Leno if I'm looking at like a joke writing situation or rich one has a little more edge. Yeah, okay, I was on Team Coco. I guess I don't know why everyone in LA had to get T shirts made, get your own life in order. Don't worry that much about Conan. Like he's fine either way, He's totally fine. Oh my god, that is so true, Like it got out of hand, yes, Like what a pr team is that? With his face and then team and the people that you note writers that haven't worked never worked ever, like people that you knew on blind date that had one job and never worked again are wearing Team Coco shirts.
Speaker 1: Like what has he done for you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 2: I thought this was going to be an unpopular opinion and then lo and behold not an unpopular opinion. It's just sometimes we just have to be brave enough to say it, to say the thing.
Speaker 3: I bet a lot of people disagree, because I've had people say to me that they don't care for Letterman and I love Letterman, and that hurts. It hurts my soul to hear someone say that. But I guess it's really doesn't matter. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Here, I have a clip, say if I can play you this clip from YouTube pulled on there's going to be an ad first, and the ad is AI. If you're wondering it is an AI monkey. Oh that's where we are. Okay, So here's Colbert is just talking for I'm going to talk you into it first, because we don't need Colbert like just sitting here. Let me let me okay, you're going to be mid story. Here's I've got applause breaks.
Speaker 2: Jobs.
Speaker 1: Guys don't agree, right, hold on, let me get ahead. He's telling the story because you're a fellow host. Sure before an hour before the show, you're concentrating, you're getting ready, Yeah, pressure cooker. Yeah, body's being waxed oiled and hold on, let me just go ahead and starts floaded two cowboys.
Speaker 2: An answer, he's searched all of the world for a horse named.
Speaker 1: Dave, and so loud. Yeah. So it just goes on and as a headache. He looks tired.
Speaker 3: He has literally his head in his hand sometimes huh, and he's trying to fall.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a it's an interesting.
Speaker 3: Story about how Dave was rewarding him and sent him a horse, had it like delivered to the lot. Kind of a funny story, but you don't have to yell it. And look, let me be clear, I think his writing on The Simpsons is brilliant. Maybe I just prefer him as a writer. Maybe I just prefer him as like a writer, like he definitely elevated the Simpsons, like his years on the show. But I just anyway, what's another unpopular opinion? That's so lonely to have unpopular opinions? And you know, I feel this way a lot when we're watching Real housewives, Like I will dislike housewives that people just love and go crazy for, and then it can make you feel lonely. Yes, like I feel like I love the Counting Crows and everyone's like I always thought that was Hoodie or the Blowfish.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, that's a different band, not the same band.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well that probably makes you feel like misunderstood.
Speaker 3: Yes, well it makes me feel misunderstood because I pride myself on being such a music person, not almost not snaw, but I like, you know, different, and so I'm you know, but I'm not going to get into all that again.
Speaker 1: Adam. That's another that's another exact version.
Speaker 3: Like I worried so much for so many years about Adam Derwitz and his depression, and like he's fine, he's dating like a twenty five year old or whatever. He's fine. I don't need to worry about him. No, he seemed to have a pretty good life going, so I can just enjoy the music and not worry about his dissociative disorder. Maybe that's about like being a sensitive person, an EmPATH, you'd say, yeah, an EmPATH, you just feel things more deeply than other people. You know, joke about lot of people We're saying this because I had a friend who would constantly call himself an mpath and I was like, no, you're just a fucking narcissist. You literally make every single thing about you.
Speaker 1: Now, is there?
Speaker 2: I feel like there is a fine line between like a sensitive person and a narcissist.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. I think I don't know what I think anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I think we're all narcissist to some degree, some more than others.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 3: I know that I have a hard time. I mean, like, what is we have to redefine narcissists? Because are we all? Like I always think of it like this, we're the star of our own movie, you know. So it's a matter of like I think one of the great things about like the program that you're in.
Speaker 1: WOWS. I was going to be the anonymous part.
Speaker 3: But although what I like, I'm just now breaking the news Stephanie is sober. I do want to say that here, we do want to talk about we do want to address that today. But one of the things is the acts of service. And so when I think you think in terms of acts of service, that is a really good way of reframing like how because I get myself all jumbled up all the time, and then that is self centered that it is like there's no other way to and the only really way to snap out of that kind of anxiety, which is in and of itself self involved, I guess, is to you know, do something for someone else, or even if it's on a smaller level, hold the door, buy someone a cup of coffee, whatever, it is, like something the only way out.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, So thank you for your service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to say though, what something that's a little bit funny is that a lot of people in this program that I'm in, part of the thing that they tell you to do is like when you're you know, paying it forward, helping the next person. You know, it's always the bottom of that is like because it helps me, you know, Like yeah, yeah, actually that altruistic.
Speaker 3: At least it's something at least I think the action is more important than the intention.
Speaker 1: That's that's a Jewish thing. Did you know that? In judiosm it's all about the action.
Speaker 3: That's why there's no such thing of like at the end of your life, did Jesus save your soul? That we don't have that because it's like, no, you have you. It's all about being a good person. It doesn't matter what you're thinking inside. So if you do it for the wrong reasons, it doesn't matter. The action is positive. There's no Lord like digging into our thoughts. You know that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I really like that. I do too.
Speaker 3: That's why I like on Young Kipoor that the whole idea is that it's a day of atonement when you're really looking at yourself and what you've what you could have done better. It's not about talking to like god quot unquote. It's like you have to talk to the person that you feel you have some business with.
Speaker 1: I'm not business like.
Speaker 3: Trading silver right, not like not like the whole reason could no, but you know what I mean, Like you have some stuff with so you have to actually speak to them. It's not good enough to be like, sorry, Lord that I was a shit to this person. You like apologize to the person. So that's kind of cool. It's that's also twelve step. I mean that's also part of AA right, like you make amends. Yes, for sure, we've really solved a lot of Can I tell you one more thing serious, and then we'll move on to not we'll be joking again.
Speaker 1: This my cousin. You know I've met Claude. You know Claude.
Speaker 3: He's a writer, and he writes that he has a substack and he always has really profound things on his substack. And one thing I read recently was that he said he read this somewhere someone said this to him. Is like we're always like when we think about resentment, like oh god, one day karma will get them, or one day I'm going to get even. Right this person, he's like, reframe that as I'm going to get even in terms of kindness.
Speaker 1: And I thought that was the coolest thing.
Speaker 3: Like someone did really something very nice for you get even with them. That's who you get even with, Like the people that are good to you, be.
Speaker 1: As good to them as there it's not a cool way of like thinking.
Speaker 3: I never I mean obviously, but like never thought about it like that.
Speaker 1: That is really cool. I love that Yes, get yes, and I'll look at it.
Speaker 3: Find in the score, yeah, even the score by Like they did these wonderful things, so now you do.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to be exactly the same.
Speaker 3: That would be weird, right, like forever, like, oh, you got me the sweater and you give him back the same sweater.
Speaker 1: Now you get the sweater. I'm that great.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we all get so tight up in our thoughts of like, can't wait for them to get theirs? Fuck those people. Don't even think about those people. We don't have time for that.
Speaker 1: No, we don't. I mean, I'm maybe time for it, but yeah, I know what you're saying. Oh I did too.
Speaker 3: But also the way he put it too is like, god, you know we're here for He goes, uh, oh, how did he put it? He's like, basically, the earth has every hundred years or so, it's all new people. Never thought about it like that either. He's like, so fuck all the people that don't, Matt, you know that? Are did you wrong?
Speaker 1: Whatever? Do the other thing? Focus on that?
Speaker 3: But isn't that a neat way to think about it? Every hundred years or so we have the earth has all new people.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so deep.
Speaker 2: It's really fucking deep. Yeah, that's the act. What other podcast are you going to get?
Speaker 1: You're not conan?
Speaker 2: So there is somebody at uh I went to my meeting this morning and somebody said this thing and I'm going to fuck it up and I don't have I I went to go text her to see if I could ask her the exact quote, and uh, I think I have a really old number for her.
Speaker 1: You gott. I literally turned around. I was like, that is so fucking smart. But it was okay. So it was something to the effect of like my childhood.
Speaker 2: We were talking about like childhood and like having a like not the greatest childhood.
Speaker 1: She goes, but it doesn't have to be.
Speaker 2: It might not have been the greatest childhood, but it doesn't have to be the longest childhood.
Speaker 1: Oh oh my god.
Speaker 2: What like at some point we can go, well, yeah, but it's done, like I'm not a child anymore, Like I don't live at home, like like let it let maybe I can let that go.
Speaker 1: Yes, isn't that a good one?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: And oh my god, that's so good. Yeah, And it doesn't have to define you.
Speaker 3: And also like god, I mean I would say, you know, people say, well that your parents did their best at all? No, no, no, that you're I don't think your mom did. I don't think our moms necessarily did.
Speaker 1: I don't think she did her best. No, I don't think. But like she did what she was capable of doing.
Speaker 3: I guess, yes, maybe that is the best that they can do, that's their capability.
Speaker 1: But she didn't try. She didn't ever go like, you know what, maybe I can do better.
Speaker 2: And the proof is in the fact that, like, and this is something we were kind of talking about at this meeting, was like that she didn't want and I was trying to like make things better and go like, I would really like to look all of some of this stuff. And I tried to get her to go to therapy with me, yes, and she was not interested, not interested.
Speaker 3: No, thank you as a therapist, right, I mean that's the most mind boggling thing.
Speaker 2: Right, But it's like, okay, I mean you know what I mean, at a certain point you have to go, well, she didn't want to do that, so like I can either just continue being mad about it or.
Speaker 1: Like move the FuG on, which I did.
Speaker 3: But I love that and I think of that too, and then and then I do have something funny to talk about. But when I think about like mom stuff too, we were very different and it's like she didn't necessarily choose. She had a daughter that she really really loved, and we only really started fighting when I started getting a little weird, if I'm honest.
Speaker 1: So she didn't really.
Speaker 3: Know what to do with my sort of gothy tendencies because she was a very Dallas dancer, she was a ballerina, she was was a girly girl, you know, and I was like we're different, and so just in fond and so it's like I was mad for so.
Speaker 1: Long too, was like felt so unseen.
Speaker 3: Part of that is my own staff Like that really, I mean that helps with like forgiveness in a lot of ways because it's like, well, she didn't know what to do with she doesn't know what I'm talking about. She doesn't care about poetry or whatever the bullshit that I was trying to write or whatever, you know, like it.
Speaker 1: Just wasn't her thing, right.
Speaker 3: But I guess you're a mom if you if if like if one of your kids is into something that you're not into, you're probably more interested in finding out about it, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, uh yeah, I don't think that's like a great excuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like just went in her stuff.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, I mean, my daugh I'm not like, I don't know, my kids are like all pretty creative, Yes, but LB like, here's a good here's like a little classic example. ELB is really into EDM music and I am, okay, one hundred percent not right, Like I don't get it. It is not my thing. It's not like even of interest to me. When she turns it on in the car, I have to make her turn it off like is that? Like yes, like that okay, yes, and like to me it's really bad. But hey, I am super supportive of her idea of like, you know, try it being a DJ. And I'm like, all right, yeah, I know they could help you, Like hell, yeah, you know what I mean, Like, I'm not going to be like no, that's stupid and like what a waste of time, right, something that I don't understand. I'm going to try to support that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you don't filter them. I mean my mom, luckily was into theater and stuff, so that was always a go I was pushed like in that way and I liked it.
Speaker 1: So that would that that all gelled up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's the other thing in forgiveness too, is like, well a lot of people didn't have that parents that were like, yeah, go to the arts performing arts school.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 3: Let's do it and like drove me down to you know, I don't know I took the best.
Speaker 1: Well, then maybe you owe your mom in apology. I have tried. I have.
Speaker 3: I mean, we get along, like we don't like we're not super close, but we don't have an issue now. But I have tried to have those deep conversations like God, I was a pain, wasn't I? And she's just not even listening to that part. She's not it's not she's not interested in that kind of thing, and that's okay. Some people don't want to look at stuff.
Speaker 1: And then you get really mad.
Speaker 2: You're like, I am trying to a fucking apologize to you, bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like, well, I like the word better. I like twat. She uses twad a lot. She calls her friends twat all the time. I'm like, mom, she does.
Speaker 1: Yes, she has this. I shouldn't say their names, but she'll.
Speaker 3: Go to the movies with friends, Like I'll just say one of the friends, let's say ones is Janice. I'm going to make up the name Janice, okay, and she's like Janice. Oh, and she'll say cunt too, like Janas was a cunt.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 3: I'm like why was Janie a cunt? She's like, well, because we go to the movies and I say, if you want popcorn, get your own popcorn because I end up buying it, and you eat all of my popcorns. So that happened, and she like hit Janice from eating. She like hitting your name.
Speaker 2: Making her sound great, like I'm I'm not one hundred percent sure that you're the one that needs to be apologizing, but go on.
Speaker 3: I mean that's pretty much it. Yeah, I guess that's it. She just gets real bad things. Okay, I have another topic. Okay, unless you have. Do you have a topic you'd like to move us into. I have another one.
Speaker 1: I don't after Okakay, I had.
Speaker 3: This is old school board a f But today I had another little and this could be a me problem. But I went to a coffee shop. M hmm, get a coffee. Not at the one I've forgiven all the people at the old one, because they have new people now and they're the one where they didn't where you thought they could give me back your card.
Speaker 1: I thought that you give my credit card back.
Speaker 3: And what I had done is thought i'd stuck it in my pocket, but I put it in my butt, right, that's that one. And then they're like, we gave your card and then I found it in the bathroom when I took my go to tee, right, it was in my butt.
Speaker 1: And then you did go back to that place for a while, No, for a long time.
Speaker 3: And then when I did go back, they had new people working there and they were wonderful, right, so I really like for that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no, that place is fine, but they were closed today.
Speaker 3: So I went to the place next door, which is very cute but always very rude. The people that work there are just outrageous, like some of the worst like people I've ever dealt with at a coffee place.
Speaker 1: So today, I mean.
Speaker 3: Even worse than the ones, even though I was in the wrong about putting a credit card in my butt hm as posed to my pocket. So I go in today and the guy is having there's a long line, and the guy that works there's very young, I want to say, probably early twenties, and he's having a meltdown.
Speaker 1: He's having a bad day. So we're all like, don't worry about it, is cool, and he's like, sorry, I just shouldn't be working here by myself and it's just like, why does everyon want coffee today? He is out of he's out of control.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: And my mind is like, okay, look I've got I've got time on the side, called in sick. I.
Speaker 3: Well here's the we're all So everyone went out of their way to like raise him up, like he was fucking rudy, like he was fucking conan. Okay, like, let's take care of this guy's feelings to the end of time. And I can tell you he's a difficult He was very cute, like little mustache, lots of tats, some jewelry, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like you know, and he was not in a good mood. And I get it. And I wanted to be like a lot of us hate our jobs.
Speaker 3: And even when I was a kid, you know, twenty years old, like I didn't, but I worked in customer service a lot, and you can't. You can't treat the customers like this. But everybody was so cool, including myself. I get up, be going sorry, I'm just like ough. So I ordered my I go, don't worry, it's literally it's just coffee. We're all good, We're all happy to wait. I tipped him seventy percent I tipped.
Speaker 1: Him more than what I owed him.
Speaker 3: Okay, I basically it was like eight dollars and I gave him twenty bucks. And not that I'm miss money bags, but he's having a bad time, and I notice everyone's sort of doing that.
Speaker 1: Everyone's being so cool.
Speaker 3: But by the end of the thing, just to get my coffee, it took like, I want to say, half an hour.
Speaker 1: And it was also like, why are we coddling this kid?
Speaker 3: Maybe he just like I know he's having a bad day, but take it out on something.
Speaker 1: Don't take it on the customer.
Speaker 3: And I started getting really mad, thinking like, kid, you ask him for your tip. I well, I didn't ask him. I just when he looked away to back out of the jar, like I was just oh. And then okay, this is the best part. So this little this woman and I say little. If I notice that you're little, then you're shorter than me, then you're little five two, So she was like five et. She comes up and she's like, I I'm so sorry, I know that you're so frazzled today. And I'm over on the side waiting for my coffee, right, being cool, not pacing or anything. And she goes could I when you have a moment, get an earl gray, just a cup of tea, just like when you have his.
Speaker 1: Like, dude, you're paying him, you don't have to be this. This is crazy.
Speaker 3: And she's like okay, and he goes, okay, I'm just a little behind okay. And she's like, are you Okay's and he's like, yes, I'm fine, just being absurd. So she goes, okay, I'm going to go wait over here so I'm not hovering, and that pissed me off. I go, oh, so I'm hovering. There's literally nowhere else to say. I was so annoying. I go, oh, I'm hovering? Is that I'm hovering? Did you say that out loud? I said it out loud, yeah, to no one really. I think maybe the guy heard me, and I think he probably would like that's something he would probably say, uh huh, you're probably similar in that way. But I was like, okay, sorry, I hope I'm not hovering. After she said it, I go I'm just gonna there's no where to see. He goes, no, no, No, you're you're cool. Love struggling me love, And I was like, okay, we're cool if you want to call me love. I wasn't mad, and I stayed so calm as but I just felt like, at the end of the day, are what's going on here? We're all just having a shitty day too. Yeah, but and she works at a coffee place. It's not great.
Speaker 2: And he probably sounds like he was by himself on like a busy holiday day, and that's that's not fun.
Speaker 1: It's shitty. I get behind. I just know that from waiting tables. Oh my god, it was. But you wouldn't yell at a customer, which I mean, you wouldn't be like I can't get to you all.
Speaker 2: I probably have, if I'm being honest. I don't remember a specific time that I did it, but I would get very overwhelmed. And oh, managers at restaurants are always shitty. And I got in trouble for saying that. I guess on for crying out loud, and somebody was like, I'm a restaurant manager and that really makes me mad. But in general, in my day, you know, managers were off it and listen. And then I had to apologize to this woman, well not really apologize, because again someone listening listener, no a listener for for crying out loud. Got mad because Lynnette and I were talking about how most restaurant managers have like attitudes like some kind of like a being a complex where they think they're like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I had to I said, well, you know, Elbie works at a restaurant and she loves her manager.
Speaker 1: She's always like, oh my god, they're like the best. So, of course hashtag not all managers.
Speaker 2: But yes, a lot of taught restaurants that I worked at when I was younger had terrible managers that never really stuck up for you.
Speaker 1: So yes, there would sometimes be customers.
Speaker 2: That were like allowed to just be like abusive, and I, oh, I was a bit mouthy and did tend to like get mad and not tolerate bad treatment very well.
Speaker 3: I think that you shouldn't tolerate bad true. I mean I had a lot of jobs. I've had jobs since I was like fourteen. Was my first job, and they I worked, and I and I didn't like them. You know, I didn't like working at the Limited. I told you that only lasted three weeks. Yes, Then I got a job that I loved at the movie theater because I found sort of my nerds. It was like movie nerds and it was all guys and we were just such dorks. And I really liked that job. And then for some reason I worked at a yogurt shop and they would make me work by myself at night, which was not safe. By then, I was like seventeen, but it was not safe. This was like it would and so we'd have this huge rush after the movies let out next door. For some reason, they like I left there and it was more pay at the yogurt place. I don't know, was it a ty it was it was I think, swear to god, it was something like that. I was totally and but they would have me buy and they also made me make sandwiches and Keisha's and it was like dinners and I had to make them myself.
Speaker 1: Why Like they're like, oh, it's easy, you just do this and that and you add a little spigarnish here, and I'm like what and I barely, like I don't even know how to do anything now but a little bit.
Speaker 3: And it was gross. And then there was like somebody got robbed one time. It wasn't on my shift, but someone got held up, Like it is not a place for a seventeen year old to be closing at eleven pm. Absolutely not. But yeah, I would get flustered. But I think my I think it would come out on myself. I think i'd like go in the back room and cry. I don't think I would like yell at a customer. Not yell, but just be like I get to you what I get to you, like, calm down.
Speaker 2: But we're different in that way, different upbringing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I had a This is literally what we were talking about this morning at my meeting. I had a stepfather who was like an asshole, and I.
Speaker 1: Got very sort of defensive, like.
Speaker 2: It's like I was more of a fighter, like if I feel, you know, I just I just I just didn't like that feeling of a customer thinking that they're better than me and they can like, you know, I would just get very upset about that kind of thing. Now again, I've never been fired for like, I've never gotten into like a like. I've never yelled at a customer. I don't think I mean back at a manager. For sure, I've been like insubordinate. I yelled at a boss. I yelled at a Okay, I'll just tell you the boss.
Speaker 3: Who was a shit, right, Like when I worked at Dreyfus, Richard Dreyvis's company, it wasn't Richard.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if I just yelled at Richard every day, fuck you, fuck jaws old man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, he was there very often, but no, I didn't yell him. But his person below him, who helped him like write speeches and stuff and raise money for like political causes. That was my main boss. But then I also worked for Richard, so I worked for both teams. And she was really I still talk to her today actually, and I enjoy her, but she was really demanding and really demeaning. And I think one day I didn't really need the job, but they like begged me to come work that sum like a summer there was a lot going on politically, and they're like, you will take you to the DNC convention. That was the big bonus. And I was kind of into it. I was like those two thousands. I was like, Okay, I've got other jobs, but I'll do it for the summer. And and she was just yelling at me about something and I just yelled back, and it felt really I like went into her office and I was like, stop fucking talk to me like this, Oh, so I didn't give a shit. It's it's it's you know, whether you need it or not. Like if I won the lottery, like you'd probably always just be like, fuck, you can't talk to me like this. Yeah, yeah, I mean it wasn't like a friend that I want to have to work it out with.
Speaker 1: Somebody was like why you can't I mean she was.
Speaker 3: I mean she would come in while she'd be on the phone, and she'd sit on the phone with her feet up and like have me type out letters.
Speaker 1: It was I guess we had computers, but not really well did we. I guess we had. Yeah, I would like, yeah, I would do a lot of typing in my days at jobs, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to like we had a computer, but it was just not quite the same, you know, whatever it was. And she would red circle things she wanted changed and like be like she do an intercom like come in, and then I'd have to go in while she was just laughing on the phone with red circle. It was just for no reason, Like it was no reason. It was just like, oh, you're just creating busy work. And then one time I got in trouble, I complained just somebody like one of the other assistants at Merrimax.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 3: So they're working for Weinstein directly and they had a lot of scripts come through. So I became friends with this person that worked at Weinstein at Merrimax, and I was like, our fucking bosses, right, and they're like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: The worst.
Speaker 3: So she told her direct boss she or he hadn't remember, told it wasn't Weinstein but somebody else. And it got back within like eight minutes to my boss like are you talking about me? Oh my god, look all of you people. No one should be trusted. Is the end of the main part of the story. You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I was literally telling Elbe this story that I have told on the podcast before, because we've told all these stories on the podcast, not.
Speaker 1: That thing I told the Red Circle story.
Speaker 2: That's no, no, no, you have it. But I mean I've told I've told this story. I can remember telling it. But remember the story where I had that job at the Three Stooges. Yes, and my boss was this woman named Kathleen French and her husband was this guy Bill Bill Fritz, Like it wasn't the same last name, but they were they were married, and he was the supervising producer. And it's so funny when I look back on it, how I thought, like, if you were a supervising producer of a show, was like.
Speaker 1: So cool that one step up. Oh yeah, not even like it wasn't even a good job back then, but.
Speaker 2: You know, and he worked for his wife like she was the executive producer and he was the supervised like I don't know, head writer or whatever. And remember that story where I hated that job so much. I hated the three Stooges. I had to fake that I liked it so that I could get the job because I was desperate.
Speaker 1: I was so brothers.
Speaker 2: It was the worst paying job I'd ever had, But I was like, I love the three stooges, hated them. Then every moment of that job was just like, oh my god, this is so fun fucking dumb I hate Okay, just to remind you, so nothing was computerized in those days except that there was no Google. There was no there were no search engines. But we could look at footage on a computer, so you would have to so you'd have to think of it. I mean, this story is kind of worth retelling. I don't try to think of a sketch. So I was making interstitials for three Stooges movies, so they wanted it to be like here would be an example, and I'm really good at getting jobs like this. I think I had to do a sample. But it was like, okay, exercise with Mo, and then you'd be like here and it would you'd have to write something that was basically like a minute and a half long, but it was had to be like a funny concept that you had to take footage from three Stooges movies and make it into something different. Right, So you'd be like exercise with Mo, and then you'd see a picture of like MO jumping somewhere or Mo like doing a jumping jack or Mow falling or something, and then you'd have to take all this footage, put it together and make it funny and do a little like voiceover over it.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Okay, Well, imagine nothing's categorized, nothing's cataloged, like you're just having to come up with a concept and then watch movies over and over and try to and take timecode and go okay, I could use this, I could use this four seconds, and then I'd have to put it right and you'd be using different movies. Okay, so imagine the torture and also trying to think of an interstitial and we had nothing to look at. So I remember saying, can we have magazines? Remember this, I was like, we need magazines and we need snacks. And they were like, well, first of all, just bring food in if you need snack, we have a refrigerator. Like they didn't get the concept of like writers needing like red vines.
Speaker 1: Go munch on.
Speaker 2: And then they were like, why do you need magazines. You're not here to read magazines. You're here to like write interstitials. And I was like, yeah, but I have nothing. I don't just get ideas like yeah in my head they're like look at something. And they're like, well, you can't take I mean they are the guy argued with me. So at this point I was mad and I didn't want this job anymore, but I knew I couldn't quit until I got.
Speaker 1: A new job.
Speaker 2: But I would complain about it all the time, and I believe that I was on the phone with Bonnie and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, God, this job is so horrible.
Speaker 2: And I turn around and the head writer guy who's married to the executive producer, is sitting at the desk right behind me, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, do you hear you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: But I didn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't one hundred percent sure, but I mean like I hung up the phone and turned around to get up, and he was sitting there, and I was like, oh, hey, So then this was this was on a Friday, and I kept waiting for something. If anything was going to happen, it was going to happen that day, and nothing happened. So I leave and it's we're all good. Then I come in on Monday that nothing's different. Lunchtime, he says, we want to have a meeting with you. Across the street. There was a like another office building that belonged to the show across the street.
Speaker 1: I want to have a.
Speaker 2: Meeting for you in the head in the meeting with you in the big meeting room across the way. I was like, okay about it was like in Glendale somewhere. It was also far to fucking drive to. Yeah, So I go across the street to the meeting at lunchtime. You remember the story, and it's no, everybody's sitting there. It's the it's Kathleen French, the boss, their baby, their dog, hr there's a lawyer, they're all all the people are there. There's like ten people sitting in this meeting, and they're right away. They're just like, so, we're going to have to let you go.
Speaker 1: And I was like what.
Speaker 2: I immediately start crying, like all so shocking, but also I shouldn't have been shocked. But then I was shocked because I thought nothing was going to happen, right, And then I was like, well, why you know, and they're like, well, you're poisoning the well. They said that, yes, and then I've had a joke about poisoning the well for years since then because I.
Speaker 1: Was like, I mean, there was nothing for me to say. I was literally saying that I hate this job. It sucks. It's so boring. I can't stand it. You know.
Speaker 2: Two days before, there wasn't a lot of arguing I could do better to get fired because there's unemployment. Yes, telling you think that was kind of perfect, you calmly. They didn't want a problem.
Speaker 3: They got legal involved, they made sure everything was on the up and up, and then okay, here's your pat you'd be cool.
Speaker 1: I will be cool. And employments. I said I could finish out the week.
Speaker 2: I said, I can finish like what I'm working on, because you know these things would take a while.
Speaker 1: You can do one in a day.
Speaker 2: So I was right, whatever I was working on, I'm like, I'm in the middle of one, and they're like, she goes, no, you need to leave now. We've already boxed up your stuff. So because I was going to go say goodbye to people, They're like, no, we took the rest of the writing stuff is out to lunch. So that Jesus, that's dramatic. It was so dramatic.
Speaker 3: That was me when I left my radio job. I left. I quit. I didn't, which is in retrospect so stupid. I was so unhappy. It was so unhappy. But like, oh, how hard to be on a radio show and get like that much money in your twenties, Like what a dick. I mean it was a tough physician. But you know I wouldn't quit now it's just say that. But yeah, but when we had our like a final big thing at Disneyland that we had to go do a remote and they were like, it was my last I knew it was my last day, and I wasn't allowed to say goodbye to the audience. I wasn't allowed to my other I wasn't allowed to tell my co hosts until we were done, until we were off air.
Speaker 1: One of them, Peter had already left.
Speaker 3: He just he would finish like a show and he'd just throw his headphones off and walk off. Does not say goodbye to anybody. He just like he told him yeah, and he'd walk me. At the end of every shift. He would just throw that pretty bad yeah yeah sort of, and I remember like, well, I was gonna tell him goodbye. I really liked him at the time. It wasn't sort of until retrospect that I realized he was poisoning the well more than I was.
Speaker 1: But I didn't.
Speaker 3: And then Buzz was there and I was like, well, I just want to say I really liked working with you and I'm leaving, and he was like, oh no, and then we just they never we never addressed the audience. Like that's how they do it in radio. You don't get to say goodbye. It's a really weird thing. I don't unless you've been there for like twenty years and you're lead like the show is ending. You know, in some cases you do sometimes you do, and it like a very But I don't know if they didn't think I was going to say something thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they thought i'd say, because I'd never you were going to have like a network moment yet exactly, but I had never had before. There was no reason to think that.
Speaker 3: But I think as it was inching towards the end, I think, I, you know, I was pretty bitter.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I was.
Speaker 3: I was definitely not a great match, you know, And so I think, but that is very common in radio, Like you don't really get a chance to takeodbye because people are always going to be mad. So they're always like whoever. The person who replaced me was so much better for the job than me, who was a blonde woman. I don't remember her name. She's still in radio, but she was better for country.
Speaker 1: She was like a mom and she was like Orange County and she lack country and she's blonde, Like that's the person for the country radio show. Uh, you know.
Speaker 3: And but at first everyone hate they're like, where's Cecily? People like, but they canceled my email, so this is before I would have had an eat, like they couldn't find there was a Facebook, so I said, nobody can email you because I was no longer on that email.
Speaker 1: I really liked my boss.
Speaker 3: I do want to say that, like I loved him, Like we did that together because I wanted to leave, and he was like, I probably think it's for the best, you know, And we worked out away from me to get my contract paid out because they knew they knew I was going to probably be a little bit of trouble, you know. I was like, when you first got the job. No, not when I first got the job, but when I was leaving the job. My agent did most of the work.
Speaker 1: You know. It was all just lawyers and agents.
Speaker 3: But like I you know, I was so fucking unhappy, and I had good reason.
Speaker 1: So I think they were like, all right, well let's make this a win win. Two wants to go. We don't really want to.
Speaker 3: Hear we wish her. Well, here's the rest of your money, by bye. And you don't you know, I didn't have a what do you call it a non disclosure though I had a non compete though couldn't work in radio, oh really two years?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I could do other things.
Speaker 3: Yeah like that, I mean they make it really hard on the on the people. I don't know why that's on the town, on the very creative, beautiful, gorgeous, sensitive, empathic talent, Like what are we supposed to do while they count their millions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it. That is kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean some of these jobs too, are just like I mean, it's hard because yeah, you say you wouldn't quit now. But on the other hand, when you're not happy and you have to get up at five four in the morning or in the morning and no life, and you think you have something else ahead of you, like a career, I sort of did for a while, for a long while I had. I worked hard, but like, yeah, I mean the station didn't last.
Speaker 1: You worked hard, but the devil worked harder.
Speaker 3: Double worked, real damn hard. Like, so, I want to tell you one more from the thing before we go. We're kind of out of time now and I don't want to make this longer than.
Speaker 1: It used to be.
Speaker 3: But oh, should we say what we're going to talk about on? Oh, no, we're going to We don't know what our patrens one is. Yeah, if you're not on board a f patron, get on up in it like a new Year, do something nice.
Speaker 1: For us for the new year, like.
Speaker 3: Of ser remember the thing, how we could use it. As you can see, we quit all our jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you make yourself feel better by making us feel better.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that I think.
Speaker 3: The last thing was I just posted this on Threads yesterday and I was making myself laugh. I do think I've mentioned this in the five and a half years that we've been doing the show, but it really makes me laugh. So here's my Threads post, and it's a true story. In the nineties, my friend and I tried to write a spec script for Friends, because remember, that's all you could do when you try. You're trying to be a You think you might want to be a writer and like write find a show you like, write a spect which is ridiculous, write a spec script for friends.
Speaker 1: And the b plot was that Ross.
Speaker 3: Ross got a really huge phone bill and it turns out Marcel the Monkey was somehow calling Mexico, and I just wrote. They didn't have threads back then, So I'm telling you this is here and it's one hundred percent true. Now, I just think that's really funny, just taking a full circle for all our jobs. When I first moved here. I mean, I wanted to be an actress, but everyone's like, you have to write a script though, even as an actress, like you have to have your you got to get in your you got to have you just got to be in a writer's room.
Speaker 1: There's no other way be here.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, my friend and I sat down on a word processor, no computer, a word processor, and we wrote a spec script for friends and that was one of the those one of the parts. And I think that that's kind of genius. But we never had anyone, you know, Marcel marcelle Mexico. I love it racking up a phone bill. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: Ross ideas that couldn't work now, you know what I mean, because things have changed too much.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't a monkey call Mexico. Well long distance phone bills, I mean, don't have an international plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how would he get the cell phone out of Ross's pocket? Yeah it was a landline that he was using.
Speaker 2: Right, But I'm saying it wouldn't be as bad even if the monkey got a hold of like the cell phone was calling Mexico, because there's it doesn't cost more.
Speaker 1: Money, right, Yeah, it would only be like a little egg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was racking up like hundreds of dollars right right, and Ross couldn't figure out where it was coming from and was sort of accusing everyone.
Speaker 1: And then I mean it was pretty genius. I like it. Did you ever get any meetings from it? Well?
Speaker 3: She worked for a lit agent. She worked for and I think at one point she worked for even like I want to say, Brilstein, Like she had some inns. She was like an assistant, and so I think we got it into the agents, and then it's not.
Speaker 1: Go anywhere from there. It's probably just like just not really very good.
Speaker 2: I wrote some specscripts too, and you know, I always imagined that they must have sucked because I never got anything either. Uh, But it's funny because I found one of them recently and it was it was for Ellen for the Ellen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Ellen con Oh for the Sick comic. Okay, even better, for the sitcom The Ellen Show.
Speaker 2: And I wrote it was about it was this librarian named missus Larabee was the librarian, and Ellen wants to be Ellen becomes a librarian somehow, and she ends up getting in an argument with like the kids and there and anyway, I don't remember I don't really remember it that well, but I reread it recently and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, this was really funny. You know what we should do.
Speaker 3: We should get a job where we read our specs, we each give ourselves parts.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding. People do it all the time. There's whole podcast.
Speaker 3: Where they read old scripts or spec like commscripts. We could cast a couple of people, get like two other people and do a zoom and I'm serious, read your ellen script.
Speaker 1: Why not? It can be a job. That could be funny.
Speaker 2: I have to find it, but then I have to get copies made and distribute that because.
Speaker 1: We don't have to actually do that. You just send it on the computer. I know, but I don't just have it. It wasn't in a computer.
Speaker 3: Scan it in thirty pages whatever, and then that's easier and then we just acted out, or we could just make it up.
Speaker 1: You're right, I'm seriously, it's kind of a cute idea. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure we finished the friend spec script, so I'm not exactly. I think I have a feeling knowing me especially and be like, just give them seven pages and see if we're on the right track.
Speaker 1: And she was probably like, we should probably write the whole time, Like.
Speaker 3: No, you don't even know we're on the right track, so we probably did that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wrote the whole specs I wrote, I wrote a pilot two and yeah, and that never got anywhere. I wrote this with a friend of mine. Oh my god, and it's the same person who gave me the It doesn't it might have been a bad childhood, but it doesn't have to be the longest child that I that I wrote a script about having twins, about being the about twins, And this one person that we had a meeting with, who wasn't even that powerful, was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just feel like you could have.
Speaker 2: Done more with like the twins aspect of it, like like how come they don't like dress alike?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like it's a niked night show. Yes, And we were like.
Speaker 2: And then he said, well, you could rewrite it and like add some of the things that I've told you, but they are all just really hack right. She and I both have twins, so we were like, that would be a funny. It was like parents of twins kind of thing, and it was it was really it was like pretty funny, and we were having to take these like just.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous notes from people, and they were like, eking, person, it's all nonsense, No one gets anything. I can't tell you how many meetings when I thought I started writing these pilots and got myself a little manager, remember, and I was had all these little generals and I was like, oh, well, this is it, this is it, and it would just be a very disinterested person twenty five years younger than me who didn't get any of my jokes.
Speaker 1: He was like, yeah, we're gonna pass. But it's so great to meet you. I met.
Speaker 3: I remember I met with Justin Hartley's remember from What's the show that everybody loved Justin Hartley?
Speaker 1: You know he's cutie. Yeah, the show with people and all the people and the show every night was known for Smallville. No, this is us.
Speaker 3: He's yes, thank you, this is us. And I had a perfect like I had him in mind. So I was excited to get a meeting like that's who I want for the part. And they're like, yeah, you read it. He's going to go a different way. And the way that he went though wasn't like an edgy what I was thinking, HBO type, you know scribe girls thing.
Speaker 1: He went to like U Chicago Fire. But it wasn't even that. It was just kind of it was like Dullas Airport Security show. It wasn't good.
Speaker 2: I was on a show called Tracker, but that was in twenty twenty four, so that wasn't it. No, it was something right before. So it was whatever was before Tracker. Aquaman, that's a good that's a good choice. Tell you some stuff he's been in.
Speaker 3: Like in the last five years. Maybe, well, Tracker was what he was in in twenty twenty four. The hunt been before was twenty like that fifteen?
Speaker 1: No, it would have been around there. But you take it. You can't help but take it personally.
Speaker 2: You're like, okay, quantum lep was it Quanta d No, that would have been way before.
Speaker 1: Well this was twenty twenty two to twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It says, I mean the meeting would have been in like twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 3: Maybe okay we should say hello to maybe we acted out that thing.
Speaker 1: It was a really good script.
Speaker 3: Everyone sucks, but you know who doesn't suck as Caroline Bastian and Silvano Jimmetti most certainly does not suck. Sandrene does not suck. Call it a rock. She rocks your friend. Patrick Price. There's no price you can put on him. He's priceless. She is priceless. Julie Turnbull like, yeah, turn it up, turn Bull for what Victoria Blake.
Speaker 1: She gets it? Yeah, she's on Crawford. Yeah, let's have some.
Speaker 3: What is Andrea Crawfish? That's what I was thinking, like a crawdaddy. Yeah, frolicker, bollocking around. Pay it forward, but Jean pay it forward?
Speaker 1: He does that.
Speaker 3: Garry Maller not related to Bill Maher does look the same. Aaron Johnson Watson and the Johnson does not stand for what you think it does.
Speaker 1: Jacqueline Bleek Victoria Blake do we have? We have Victoria Blake twice she gets she gets it twice.
Speaker 3: Oh shoot, Jill Shaw Athena Gonchard my friend Sean Price.
Speaker 1: Also, you can't put a price on him. And Kate did not.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god. We have two people with the last name Price. Did you ever notice that Patrick?
Speaker 1: I have a lot of friends with that last name. It's very popular.
Speaker 2: And Kate Donato listen, Yes, Becky Barris is our friend. She makes stuff like T shirts and all anything that you want, like with a fun design on it. Why not go to Becky Barris and you can find her at just basic Beecky dot com or basic Becky just on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Just look her up and message her and be like, bitch, I need a shirt that this. Call her that.
Speaker 2: Don't you know she won't count. I need a shirt Cecily's mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twat yeah. And what about Randy Mayames? Love Randy Mayimes. She's my soulmate. She shows that and she uses her shout for any kind of nonprofit or whatever. I say. It's it's a listener.
Speaker 3: Choose choose today, you guys, choose use her as an inspiration and choose something, whether it's an animal charity, to me in society, Trevor Prott, whatever, it is something that you think that could make the world a little slightly better, even just five dollars better. Yes, even if it's a Patreon, maybe that's the nonprofit.
Speaker 1: That you give to.
Speaker 2: Non profit, right, yeah, our Patreon it's nonprofit.
Speaker 1: Are somebody like looks it up, They're like, it's not non profit in a way it is. Don't worry about we don't profit. Trust me.
Speaker 3: What we put out just exactly like pay for things is not we're not getting it back exactly.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much. We love you.
Speaker 3: We haven't we thank you. I'm not sorry. There's not a single thing that we said today that was crazy. I don't think no oh stuff. We're good ever, We're all good, happy ye