Speaker 1: Joe Escalante live from Hollywood. By Hollywood, you mean Burbank, across the street from a Wiener Snitzl that serves beer. And I'm joined today by not only producer engineer Sam, but producer Nikki.
Speaker 2: Hello, good to be back.
Speaker 3: What's up best?
Speaker 4: Hey? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So during the NFL season, it's just too hard to make shows fit all our schedules, so it gets always gets weird. But the season is winding down and just a couple of weeks left the playoffs and then the Super Bowl of Football takes place, so we should be live like we are tonight a few times at least, and then we'll be back in a regular schedule. So for those of you new to the program, this is two hours of the business end of show business, and we do it every Sunday on KiB eleven fifty on your AM dial. This is good old fashion AM radio.
Speaker 4: That's why you're cool for listening to it.
Speaker 1: Let's, of course, there's a lot of fires going on right now, and that's why I didn't drive into the studio today, so I didn't want to get there. And I think the less people that drive into Los Angeles right now, the better are you guys, Okay, and your properties? All right, Let's start with you, Sam. You live on top of a movie theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, so far, so good.
Speaker 5: It's pretty safe where I'm at. I actually have people who are evacuating coming to my place, so hopefully fans stay that way because I would really really like to avoid having the same issues that everyone else is having here in La.
Speaker 6: How about you, Nikki, Yeah, it's been pretty wild. I mean, I'm in Highland parks, so it's not too bad.
Speaker 2: But I mean, yeah, the air has been pretty crazy.
Speaker 6: But I have I have some funny stories to tell you about something that's not as funny. My dad lives in Alta Dina and is very very close to the Eton fire, and it luckily only got a little bit of our property, Like it wasn't so bad, but he refused to evacuate, so he was playing rogue cowboy firefighter, putting out fires.
Speaker 4: For the last and stuff.
Speaker 6: I guess, I mean, I guess it's good enough. But I can tell you, guys a little story he told me. I was calling him the other day and of course freaking out because this is a crazy time and you never know what's going to happen. And he's telling me about all the losses in the neighborhood and and what's going on. And then you know, I'm just you know, I'm freaking out. And he's like, oh, but do you He's polish, I'm gonna do the accent. He's like, do you want to hear the good news? And I'm like, oh, God, Like, what's the good news after all that? You know? I was like, yeah, I guess I do. And then he's like, okay. So I was on the roof watering the roof and around the house, and then I went to the backyard. We have like a tiered backyard that he made, like there's kind of some some landscaping and agriculture he did there. But he's like okay, And I water the first level. It is good. I water the second level, it is good. And then I go to the last level. And then I realized a little too late that I have to pee, and before I hit the grads ipee a little bit. I'm like, that's that's the good news. That was.
Speaker 2: The good news that he can pete. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was like, I mean I think he meant like I want to hear a funny story.
Speaker 2: I was like, looking for the good news.
Speaker 5: The goods that he has steady prostate function exactly.
Speaker 6: I'm like, well, it's good that like you mostly didn't mess. I agree, you know, it's been a hard week for everyone, and if this is the way you need to phrase that, like you peed a little bit, like I'll it's lot.
Speaker 2: You know, did he put out the fire with it? That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 6: I was like, Okay, the better news would be like if there was a hot ember and you saw an opportunity, you know, But I think it's this is gonna be one of those stories where it's like the fish gets bigger every single time he retells it, and I bet he'll invent an ember somewhere along his oral history of this moment.
Speaker 4: Well, that's really fortunate. Good news Dad's in and didn't get burned.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, like only part of the backyard. We're really lucky it's been out of the.
Speaker 4: House though, like as like taking it somewhere else or you.
Speaker 6: Just well, I mean the good thing is that, like it's the neighborhood, it's not going to come back that way because it already it burned through everything that it could burn.
Speaker 2: So it's like he feels fine.
Speaker 4: Well on the.
Speaker 1: Legal front, as we know that in on YouTube you can pretty much use anybody's song and do whatever you want with it. And then when YouTube first started that would be an infringement. And now they got they just kind of pay the artists when they don't pay you. They pay the artists when you use their song. So and that, you know, for the most part, that's pretty cool. I like it when they use vandal songs and it makes our streaming income get bigger, and I see what people are doing and they're clever with them or whatever. And you know, same with TikTok. It can be really good for a band. But Chuck d from Public Enemy is now alarmed and telling his fans stop using the song burn Hollywood Burn in wildfire videos, and he's trying to say that the track originally was a critique of racial stereotypes in Hollywood films. It has been repurposed online content showing destruction of film studios and sets by wildfires. Chuck Die has emphasized that the song's message is being misrepresented and its use in his context is both inappropriate and insensitive to those affected by the fires. You're just content creators to respect the original intent of the music and to refrain from exploiting it for sensationalism. So what can he do anything about it? Is my question for you guys.
Speaker 6: I feel like probably not, because sadly, it's like he's basically making a call to action, like, hey, everyone on the internet, can you please behave appropriately?
Speaker 2: That's a tough that's a high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, and then it's just too hard to We talk about this a lot. You know, they have blanket licenses that just cover all music. You can't really go in there and say, hey, I don't want them to do this. You could probably remove your song from all usage, but then you wouldn't make any money from the appropriate usages. So knowing wouldever that do that, he's doing the right thing. He's talking to the fans don't do this, and then that's about all he can do. And he's not suing anybody.
Speaker 4: He's just saying, don't do this. So that's that's about all he can do. Now.
Speaker 1: Bad Religion has a song called Los Angeles is Burning. I think about it every time I see the fires, but I don't look around YouTube to see if anybody's using it.
Speaker 4: But there are people that do that.
Speaker 1: When I was on the radio in the morning in the morning's, I had a newslady that would every time there was a incident that involved race, she would search or just whatever she could always search on the internet for like racial hate, to see if she could find any white supremacist that had a bad take on something. And I was just like, why do you do that? Just leave it in the gutter and go on with your life. But so I haven't looked around and see if anyone's using that bad religion song. But it's pretty bad. When people ask me what's going on with my properties, I'm like, nothing with mine. But you know, it's hard. So many people are screwed. You can't do business right now in a normal Hollywood way because whoever you're talking to, you call them and say, I just check in to see if you have read this or you're going to send me that they are, you know, they lost their house quite possibly, and a lot of houses have been lost. People are going through it, and then people are calling me and going, hey, can you help me. I'm trying to I was working with someone whose house was lost, and now I gotta get this thing done.
Speaker 4: Can you help, and.
Speaker 1: It's hard to I was I was gonna try to raise some money for a project, an artistic project, restoration of something here in Seal Beach, and now I just don't feel right doing it. Get it all teed up, but raising money for a restoration of a historical thing doesn't It just doesn't seem that tasteful. When the fires, you know, people are raising money and we gotta take care of these people. But we got to take a break here and we'll come back. We'll talk more about this. I got more stories related to the fire and other Hollywood stuff. It's Joe Ascolante Live from Hollywood. Joe Ascolante Live from Hollywood. Hey, uh, you know, maybe wait, let's before we go back to the fires. I would like to let's check the box office, because it was for the rest of the country. He is a normal week and show business world number one at the box office. Let me know if you saw it. Den of Thieves two Pantera, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I don't know why Pantera the word Pantera gets used. But if I was in the band Pantera, I would like, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 4: Why? Why are you talking about me?
Speaker 1: But have any of you seen sending of these Pantera movies or these Den of Thieves movies?
Speaker 5: No, no, I haven't.
Speaker 2: Gerard Butler, yeah, I don't think they're really good.
Speaker 1: One for me, probably not for any of us, but they're doing very, very well. He did fifteen million this weekend at the box office. It's not staggering, but it was good enough to put him as number one and move Fassa that is still killing it number two Sonic the Hedgehog.
Speaker 4: Are either of you two going to go see Sonic the Hedgehog?
Speaker 2: Yes, I am, yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: If you are.
Speaker 1: I amn't seen it yet, not recommend one of you saw in a Saratu.
Speaker 5: I bet I did do sam uh that would be a nose Speratu.
Speaker 2: No ooh ooh, all right, yeah, I saw, yes Speratu. I saw it on the twenty sixth. It was amazing.
Speaker 6: I mean from a movie perspective, I think I gave it like four and a half stars on letterboxed.
Speaker 2: I thought that the story itself was like fine.
Speaker 6: It doesn't beat out Bram Stoker's Dracula for me personally. However, the candlelit shots were enough to give this film whatever accolades. It wanted because they were just stunning and Lily Rose Depp's performance was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to see it, but then I was trying to catch it at an Imax or a Cinemak XD and I couldn't and the showings were at weird time. So I haven't seen it yet. But let me see. I told this story before. Our drummer Josh Freese, his kid, he took him to see it on Christmas Day actually in Palm Springs, and he said when the credits rolled up, I mean, he said, it was just gnarly like the movies, like it's dark, right, yeah. Yeah, So the credits roll up and he gets it's very quiet, and I don't know if you remember this moment in the in the experience, but and then he just yells out. His son yells out, Merry Christmas. Everybody the whole theater erupted in laughter.
Speaker 2: That's touching.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so number five Malana two, Now we're down to the movies I've seen. Mahana two is freaking huge, but you know, and the animation is amazing. It's really a fun experience, especially if you watch it in the vibrating seats.
Speaker 4: Like I did.
Speaker 1: And but the story is kind of like cares. The writing's like who cares? It's not the top of what Disney or Pixar can do. A complete unknown number six. I saw it pretty good. Timothy shot me is uh just incredible, credible. This guy needs to go to Coachella. Uh take it on the road. It's so good. Uh and then you know don but you know, what's his name?
Speaker 4: A Bob Dylan. He was never that good looking. We know that. And it's that uh that lady who's co star.
Speaker 2: So Dakota Fanning right.
Speaker 1: Well, the I'm like, I'm having a I'm getting old and sorry I forget everybody's name.
Speaker 4: But she was she was not ever that good looking.
Speaker 1: So Joan Baiaz, oh gotcha, John bas So these are two like like, you know, imagine a world where Bob Dylan and Joan Bias were stunning.
Speaker 4: That's you know what, Hey, I'll sign up for that.
Speaker 1: So that's it makes the movie, you know, pretty good. And but Shallomaye's worth it for shallow may I think I've kind of mentioned that before.
Speaker 5: They did a good job of acting like they were not so good looking.
Speaker 4: They you know, what that's that's not easy and they did it.
Speaker 2: You're right, I will actually know what.
Speaker 6: I would see that movie just to watch a more humble Timothy Shalla may. I think that would actually be the premier part of my viewing experience.
Speaker 2: It's some humility.
Speaker 5: Do you have some problems with Timothy Timothy's sports chalet, Yeah, Timothy sports shall at exactly.
Speaker 4: He didn't. You didn't like him? And Willie Wanka you weren't.
Speaker 6: I you know what, I couldn't even I couldn't bear to look at it.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: I couldn't bear to look at it because I love some cringe and I.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I think Timothy's a great actor. I think he's very talented.
Speaker 6: I couldn't bear to look at at it, and I think that has spared his reputation in my eyes, because I refuse to watch that film. I think I saw some of the promo shots, maybe the trailer, and I was just thinking, like, Oh, he doesn't want to be here is the feeling that I got, which is not the vibe that you want from the lead.
Speaker 4: Go watch the original Willy Wonka.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a big fan of the original.
Speaker 1: Person that's personally he doesn't want to be the reader. He's he's he looks all the time like his thoughts are being you know, he's placing his thoughts elsewhere and he's just going through it for the kids. This guy to do it. So maybe there's a little bit. Maybe he was acting very well when he was doing that. But I saw Willy Wonka in Shallow May's version.
Speaker 4: It was great. I mean, the original is the best.
Speaker 1: I'd say Willy Wonka challow May is second best, and then the Tim Burton one.
Speaker 4: Really that's my that's my ranking me.
Speaker 6: I'll you know what, I'll watch it next time I am buy a little too heavily.
Speaker 2: I'll turn that on and see if I can give it a bonus star.
Speaker 4: They're good, So that good songs in that movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, Number seven is Wicked, which uh I was at dinner the other day. I kind of remember if I told the story and then like, oh did you see Wicked? You know, and there's like maybe six people and two waiters, three waiters around that I know, and not one of them saw Wicked. And I was the only gay in the village at that time, Like, are you telling me I'm the only one in this room that saw Wicked, and they're like looking at me like you saw Wicked. I just just talk about something else. But Nikki, you missed my take on that, which is did you see it?
Speaker 6: First of all, I have not seen it yet. You've seen the media realm of it.
Speaker 4: Sam, have you seen it?
Speaker 1: No, sir, I'm still the only gay in the village, all right, it Well, it doesn't make any sense to tell you guys that, but I'll just tell you when you watch it.
Speaker 4: Look at it.
Speaker 1: The chorus dancers, they're all ugly, okay. Number eight is a baby girl, and they do it on purpose, Nicky. They're like purposely trying to challenge you with ugly people in the course.
Speaker 4: How you care challenge.
Speaker 1: Beautiful people? You don't have a right to beautiful Oh, I get it. The chorus people should be beautiful performers all put together. How about some weird looking people that aren't that good looking?
Speaker 6: Take me back, Take me back to old Hollywood where I can't even be looked at in public.
Speaker 2: So I miss it.
Speaker 4: So number eight is baby girl.
Speaker 1: Number nine is The Brutalist, which I haven't seen yet, but I have seen a couple of movies.
Speaker 2: Let's talk.
Speaker 1: Let's uh, maybe we should take a break, and when we'll come back, we'll go over my letterbox and Nicky can make her comments on it, because she has some weird comments on my letterbox reviews. And that's why I put all That's why I put all the movies that I see, and then we can we can continue from there.
Speaker 4: How does that, Sam, Sam, I'm.
Speaker 3: Good with that.
Speaker 5: Let's do it. This is a good plan almost. I'm really excited to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: Don't mock Me's.
Speaker 1: Goante live from Hollywood by Hollywood, you mean Burbank. All right, let's go over to the letterbox page and talk about the movies that we saw this week and in weeks past, because I pretty soon I'm gonna have to put together my uh celebrated top ten list, and it's very easy when you have a letterbox account. This is the best thing about a letterboxed account because if you at the end of the year, you just look and see which ones did you give five stars too? And I'm just just a cursory glance over here. I had a lot of five stars from movies that had already been seen, and I see that I've got kneecap and uh the wild Robot. They they're they're popping out at me. But Nora, I gave a four. I gave a four and a half stars. Yes, I don't know. Yeah, you know what, Yeah, because Sean Baker is one of my favorite directors, so he's just gonna get uh you get five stars if it wasn't for the the the morally offensive content. But uh, all right, so I saw I've talked about a Nora and everything on this list, but I did. I just mentioned briefly Amelia Perez. Either of you seen this.
Speaker 6: Not yet, but I've heard some reviews and I've I've heard some or I've read some interviews with Angelina Jolite.
Speaker 2: Right, she's the lead in that. Yeah, oh wait, no, that's not right? Is that that's not a different one? Sorry? Different? This is the one with Selena Gomes.
Speaker 4: Yes, Selena Gomes's okay, I've.
Speaker 2: Heard, okay, also a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, Amelia Perez, you know it's another one of these movies where it's just I.
Speaker 4: Dare you.
Speaker 1: Not to think that this is totally stupid, in a waste of your time. I dare you, because if you admit that, you're not going to be cool in Hollywood. So anyways, it's like it is stupid, but whatever, it's free on Netflix, so go ahead and watch it.
Speaker 4: Then conclave.
Speaker 1: Luckily it's free because I'm not giving them any money if they're their blasphemous portrayal of what goes on in the room while they pick a pope. You just already know if a movie has released by a major studio and it's about a pope, you know it's going to be anti Catholic and it's going to make Catholics seem they're dumb for buying into everything.
Speaker 4: So I already know that.
Speaker 1: So I watched a little bit of it just to see how long it would take before they got really lame, and it took about ten minutes. But very well acted, and it's beautiful to see all the stuff in the Vatican City. But it's it's it's typical, and it's shot too dark. Did any guys have any problems with these movies that are too dark?
Speaker 2: I personally like my movie is pretty dark.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm also a laptop of viewer sometimes, but I have upgraded my setup to projector in my living room courtesy of my roommates so we're not you know, we're not doing too.
Speaker 2: Bad with the dark. I kind of like the look. See.
Speaker 4: I mean sometimes I like.
Speaker 5: The dark in certain movies. The only one only place I don't think it fits is in action films, and I've been seeing it way too much in action films because you lose a lot of the action when you can't see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, that Pope movie, there's a lot of action.
Speaker 5: H sounds like it, a lot of fisticuffs and post in that. In Conclave, I.
Speaker 1: Would say, uh, I haven't finished yet, so it probably is coming.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's like a well made movie.
Speaker 1: And I guess it's going to be up for some Oscars because number one, it's well made, it has really good acting, and it's the narrative, Hollywood's narrative of trivialized religion.
Speaker 4: Are congratulations, Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Now watch all those religious movies that make so much money and you can't figure out how to do it. But don't ask me because I won't tell you. Let's go to my list. Nora, you see you Noura Nikki, you must have.
Speaker 2: Yep, I have that one. That one's pretty funny.
Speaker 6: I like your review. Let's see here you did. That was what four and a half stars. Also, I too, am a big fan of Sean Baker. He frequently showcases one of my favorite comedian actresses, Ivy Wolke, And she's a supporting role in this movie. And I'll basically watch anything with that girl in it.
Speaker 4: Which she what does she play?
Speaker 6: She's like one of the other blonde I think she's also a stripper blonde one.
Speaker 2: Like always saying some crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she was cool, she's.
Speaker 2: She is hysterical.
Speaker 6: I brought I think like seven friends to one of her stand up shows. She was like opening for a comedian, and I brought like seven friends just so I could go see her open and then we left for the headliner.
Speaker 2: But she's like she's a rising star for sure.
Speaker 4: Okay. And her name is Ivy Woke. So I'm punt and a letterbox. You get to you get to uh you know, ah go down rabbit holes and stuff. Okay, I see her. Well, yeah, the one with the eyebrows.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, she's fantastic.
Speaker 4: All right, So Ivy Woke look out for her. And and Noora was pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's about a Russian hooker. My review, well, just yeah, well, I just read my review and just says, Sean Baker makes amazing movies. This one was about a cash me outside style Russian hooker who tries to hold together permanent relationship with the son of an oligarch. Wow, it's serious, Then it's funny, but it's still pretty serious. Okay, Well, I stand by that it nominated for Best Comedy and Musical in the Golden Globes. The other one I saw was a complete unknown, and Timothy Chalome is worth the price of admission, so I recommend it. However, I'm not sure switching to electric guitar is enough of a plot point to carry a movie, but I guess it was a real scandal at the time. Dylan's songs are great once once then you realize this guy is telling you that there's something wrong with you, and I can only take that once. I feel other folks songs. I like other folk songs like Puff the Magic Dragon or One Tin Soldier. I have to read my own typos here, so One Tin Soldiers still provide a valuable lesson, but I don't feel lectured. Yeah, I'm just saying these, these these folk songs are masterpieces, but I don't want to listen to them more than once.
Speaker 4: Oh on here.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair. I think that's very fair.
Speaker 6: I really liked your I liked the back and forth between your reviews of We Live in Time and The Substance, because you gave both three and a half stars. But for We Live in Time, I think you said something. I'll read it for you. This was a fine film, but I would have rather had someone tell me about it than actually have to watch it, see Joe. Frankly, when I have an experience like this, I give it a half star and then I make up a lie about what happens. I think my review for Barbie is one half star, and my review is that the dog dies doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: But you knows why would leave.
Speaker 4: I.
Speaker 1: I realize it's a good movie, and I want to congratulate all involved in making a good movie. We Live in Time and Florence Pugh is the best thing in movies, so I'm not going to I still enjoyed watching her, but yeah, I would have rather if someone told me about it, and then I could just watch her interviews of her on YouTube percent.
Speaker 4: If I really needed to see something.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, it's a how about the substance You can read the substance one.
Speaker 6: Yes, your Substance review, I think, approaches it from the perspective that it's a documentary, that it's evidently a true story. Mainly hits a rough patch, so she makes deal with the Double to battle Satan, and of course no one can win in that scenario. All these people need to find the Lord. I also appreciate that you include exactly where you were at the time of filming, because I feel like if you have any fans who are also into astrology, they can kind of map the stars for that point in time to see if there was any sort of cosmic influence on your review.
Speaker 2: And then take you up on an argument on Twitter or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always put the name of the theater and the and the time, and then sometimes just to be a weirdo, I'll put the actual theater number in the.
Speaker 6: Oh I think I noticed, I think, Yeah, you had like AMC theater number twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and complete of known as a Honey Can Beach a Cinemak Belitaria seven fifty showing Auditorium twenty and then well, most of this letterbox stuff is for me to remember the movies that I saw because I did it. I'm very bad at remembering movies. Like I see a movie and then you could ask me if I saw it, and I would tell you no, and then you would convince me that I saw it and show me the ticket stuff it fell out of my pocket and I would go.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't remember what it was about, though, So.
Speaker 2: Now I'm the exact same way.
Speaker 6: I think I've drank too much diet coke in my life and the ass the team has finally gotten to my memory. So I need the letter box like that. That's sort of making it's part of my brain at this point.
Speaker 1: I also have something called the day one journaling app, and it is basically Instagram for yourself, and you put all your pictures in and everything you did, and then you keep your journal and it's in your It's right there in one spot, but it's only for you.
Speaker 4: No one else can see it.
Speaker 2: It's say actually, and then if I die, my.
Speaker 1: Wife can look at it and go like hey, and you can run print on it and then just hand it out at the funeral too.
Speaker 4: Okay, how are we doing on time on this segment. Let's just take a break Okay, we'll take a break.
Speaker 1: And I got more fire related stories in the Hollywood community after this.
Speaker 4: Joe's Galante Live from Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe as Golante.
Speaker 4: Joe'scalante Life from Hollywood.
Speaker 1: By Hollywood, you mean Burbank. We're gonna get to Nikki's movies because she's so connected and young. She gets to see more movies than us and she doesn't have to work her ass off like I do, and I hope you don't. And then Sam is like a PhD and a couple of kids. So just before we get to that stuff, a little bit of stuff about the fires. Two people got arrested at Kamala Harris's house, but they couldn't really catch them in the act. They weren't red handed, so they had to let him go, but they pretty sure they were about to loot her house. But they target celebrities, and there is a long article I'm not going to go over in CNN about how they're still targeting athletes and they figure out when their games are and these are international crime syndicates because the athletes are posting things like check out my Rolex, oh w here's my wife with their.
Speaker 4: Air mez bag. All that stuff.
Speaker 1: And then there is an interesting thing about so anyways, looters are are are a big problem, and you know, targeted crimes for celebrities are a big problem in Los Angeles, and so many celebrities lost their homes, and these international crimings are still around and they're like, oh the fires, like in Hollywood, you know, business is not good right now because of the fires. But if you're an international crime Sygnique syndicate, you pivot, you go, hey, let's go to where people have been evacuated and let's steal all their stuff.
Speaker 4: So that's definitely going on.
Speaker 2: And then the syndicates are the only functioning union in LA at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right now. Yeah. And then I don't know if you heard this.
Speaker 1: Ricky Lake was on a TV show a couple of weeks ago and the guy predicted she was going to lose everything in a fire or suggested something like that was about to happen to her, and she lost her house in the fire, lost everything. So that's on Ricky Lake's Instagram page. It's pretty shocking. And then Disneyland is still open. The Universal Student had to shut down for a couple of days. They're opening on.
Speaker 4: I think they might. They're opening on Friday.
Speaker 1: Maybe anyway, you better check if you're going to two eight musement Park. But it's also very you know, there's a lot of smoke around the world, so you really don't want to hang out in music a musement park all day long. Nikki, what what movies have you seen recently that you can recommend to us?
Speaker 6: Okay, so I recently saw I had seen this, I'd seen one for the first time, and one I've seen many times in my life.
Speaker 2: But we did Me and my roommates.
Speaker 6: A Missus Doubtfire and White Chicks double feature. I think that those movies actually make a great pairing.
Speaker 4: Where did you do that at home? Or you're like at the Alamo Theater or something?
Speaker 2: Oh, we did it at home. We just how many have.
Speaker 1: A great projector paint that you got a projection TV?
Speaker 4: Paint a picture for us? How many people? Guys? Girls? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Gotcha?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: My roommates are a couple that I went to Risdy with.
Speaker 6: They're both in the film industry, an animation industry, so it's they're kind of just doing their homework by hitting you know, three to six movies a night. So we started off with Missus Doubtfire. I gave it four stars. I mean, amazing film, but pretty tough to watch for children of divorce because that mom. Honestly, they didn't need to make her so evil. They did not need to make her so evil for that point to come across. But then White Chicks, I've seen that one many times as a kid, far too many times, I think. But if you know, if you want to go the special effects makeup is the bit film. This is kind of an unbeatable back to back. So that was a really lovely double feature that we did. Some other films that I've seen, Oh go ahead.
Speaker 1: Wait, So Missus Doubtfire is the movie where Robin Williams dresses up like a woman. That's right, and then what's the and then but it's not the one where Dustin Hoffman dresses is.
Speaker 4: Like a woman.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 5: That's Tootsie.
Speaker 1: You know what, guess what. I haven't seen either of these. Really they're classics. You know, there's some movies you just haven't seen. They could be, you know, for some reason, I've never seen. It's a Wonderful life me either.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know I get a lot of hate for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get a lot of hate too. I haven't seen these movies.
Speaker 6: Like, my life's been pretty wonderful as it is. I'm you know, I don't think it's gonna be more wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to be accused of transphobia because I've seen a lot of a lot of videos with the with some trans themes. But these two, I guess because these people are just not passable to me. I'm into passable trans movies.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Okay, keep going, Okay, here's one that I had not seen before, but I had read the book last year, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was. That was amazing.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam, and I had recently shown one of my roommates Brazil for the first time, which is one of my favorite films of all time. So we hit Fear and Loathing and that was. It's funny because it is so true to the book, and also a million times better because the book just wasn't directed by Terry Gilliam.
Speaker 2: You know, what can you do?
Speaker 4: No, that's that movie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a stunning Oh my god. Yeah, I mean, both are fantastic, but I love the film.
Speaker 1: Have you as your attorney, can I ask you have you seen any new movies or you're just you're just going.
Speaker 2: Through oh new movies.
Speaker 6: Yes, Actually, what I've well know s Faratu I was a big fan of. In my letterbox review, I do share that I think count Orlock was just a little too attractive for the horror to work.
Speaker 2: He kind of had more of like.
Speaker 6: A a ross boutine edginess than I think a vampire should if I'm supposed to be a bit afraid of them. So that's that's the only drawback I think. You see what other new movies I've seen. I've seen a lot of old movies lately. I mean I watched Possession for the first time.
Speaker 2: That was amazing. How do we find a big fan of that?
Speaker 4: How do we find your letterbox to count?
Speaker 6: My letterbox is cherry Funfetti, So cherry C H E R R I and then Funfetti like the cake flavor. And you can see all the amazing films that I log. Sometimes I'll give them reviews if I'm feeling funny or I have enough energy and I like didn't fall asleep during it. I'll usually I'll usually leave something to Simmarron.
Speaker 1: All Right, I am now following you amazing exciting. Yeah, I see, I'm seeing all right here. Adaptation.
Speaker 4: You like that one?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You did.
Speaker 2: It's a big fan of that one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about some of the ones I've told you to watch as as a member of this radio program.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Have you seen Deliverance yet? Ah?
Speaker 6: The reason I haven't seen is because I forgot the name Deliverance. Deliverance, Okay, we'll watch it.
Speaker 2: This is nineteenth, nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I run that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, okay, I can do an old movie. I can trust an old movie. It's on the watch list, it's happening. I'll force of the roommates to watch it with me, now that I have a beautiful setup and I'm not alone on my laptop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then Sam, you saw nothing?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: I saw Paulo thirteen with my kid because he's really into American history and I wanted to show him something that's awesome.
Speaker 4: He's into American history. Well, that's great. He believes that moveling moon landing thing.
Speaker 5: It was great filmmaking.
Speaker 4: A great filmmaker.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm talking about Apollo thirteen.
Speaker 1: Is that the one where they are stuck in space and they have to put together stuff to get out. Hanks, I want to tell everybody make sure. So while we're talking about Tom Hanks, I want to tell everybody make sure.
Speaker 4: So while we're talking.
Speaker 1: About Tom Hanks, I want to tell everybody, make sure you get the app called Country A Go Go. It is a radio station that Tom Hanks owns and started of really obscure country B sides and just just stuff like it's the craziest record collection in the world. Country of Go Go and he started it, and he and has no commercials. I think you have to have the tune in app, which is a competitor of this station. So don't tell him. I recommended that part. But then he also Tom Hanks spends hours and hours and hours as a DJ on some other station called Station sixty six, just you know, for no reason, I'm making a penny doing this. So Tom Hanks for this year wins my award for America's the Greatest American and which was won by Mark Wahlberg for the last ten years in a row. And so now the new American hero is Tom Hanks. For these reasons.
Speaker 4: And I think we're downe yeah beautiful. All right, thank you guys for joining me. Uh you know, stick around.
Speaker 1: There's always more in this station and check out the podcast when that comes out. Joe Scalante live from Hollywood. I now leave you with just a taste of the greatest song ever written.