Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to pictures Media Radio. Welcome to policy and rights show up Gosh, welcomer Policy human joys. All right, welcome back to policy right here depictions Media Radio, your hosts, Metal clubs. Well, it seems to be a lithium battle out there, a battle to UH war between the US and Canada to figure out the making of lithium batteries. So we had a recent announcement for for the White House as they wanted ten percent of the stock for Lithium America's UH business major, which Lithium America is a major lithium mining company UH based in North America. And of course there there is a race one to develop the next big, greatest.
Speaker 2: Uh EV.
Speaker 1: Electric vehicle system UH And in a related article in the in the Vancouver Sun was written by B. W. Homer As as they described it that in a lot of areas there is a lack of infrastructure to convert gas vehicles into into service or as as electric vehicles. While the consumer products may be out there, and the consumer products UH have since the pandemic actually taken a huge dip sales as far as the government service. The that that there is this lack of infrastructure for police to convert to electric vehicles. For stry industry, forestry services, Uh, there are no actual electric vehicles they can handle the terrain that they would need need these these service vehicles to go through. They can't really go off road, sorry, Tesla. The cyber truck does not cut cut the mustard into being able to handle true off road terrains and capabilities to get get deep into into the wilderness. So there there is that. Well, part of the problem is, of course, the electric car is based on the lithium battery. Well, here's the big thing with the lithu battery. If the lithu battery overheats and to the to a critical point, the only way to stop the fire from burning is to bury it in so many feet of sand or to drop it in twenty feet of water. Well that sounds fine and everything until you start looking at fire departments, so carry tons of sand on their trucks to dump onto Uh want too a lithium battery to put it out. And as far as the borstary services concerned, if their truck lights up on fire because the bad has exploded, well there becomes a major forest fire that they can't simply just can't put out the until they put that lithium battery out. So major problems with this. Okay, So we discussed the issue and the problem. Well here here we have it Donald Trump in the White House making a major announcement into wanting to invest into lithium technology and mining. And we also have a announcement from the Canadian Federal Ministry of Energy as Tim Hodginson makes an announcement of investing into twenty two million dollars into a company to help develop new lite of battery energy or in technologies. So the race is on to develop an ev they can they can truly replace the gas powered engine. Be kind of interesting to see. Along with that, of course, we have on the other side, the Alberta is making a fourteen million dollar investment into pipelines to reach the Pacific coast either through Vancouver or Northwest territories, in order to get their bit your main product out to the world. One of the major problems that has always cleaned is while they may be the backbone of the economy for Canada's economy because of all the oil that they have, that they are landlocked and they can't because they're in the middle of the continent. They cannot get to a free port without making agreements with other provinces around them. So we look forward to seeing what kind of agreements will be made between Alberta and British Columbia to get this feature maybe out which are already current pipelines. There's a trans Mountain to pipeline that currently already is filling tankers in Vancouver Port area. Is so what more is going to happen and how will the effects of lithium and lithium mining and battery development moved towards the Alberta economy. What are they going to happen to keep up? But when we get started, and we're going to listen to first the announcement that was made by Tim Hodgson as he is the Minister of the of Energy in Kapa in the federal level, and see what this announcement where it all leads to. We're going to play the full incomplete press conference as well as we're going to play posts of the press conference that was helped by Daniel Smith as she is Premier of Alberta. As they're talking about investments into pipelines and reaching out to the world with their beach, prads.
Speaker 3: Isel view set include gig She's Secretary of Parlamatta gimminist the Linel g Resource Natural, at Zu Deputy lasle Man Elder Jean de Montreal, vad Mate the ceremonious zipul Setive Eastern Pleasure, vouet important Pocamas issue and I can reigns so cni no CD the canyon k haka uh Duke a long time said that Conte Nacion and Grand Jean Moyal I recognize respect pepul to thank guard inditionel the itire can you jane Ah, don't give you a car, said even Mandaccera. The ranges three, the battery, It's Amplutard parcel Principal and lendable, Tim Adson minies the lineers the resource Natural you can add and Tim, if you want to come and give a few words to our audience, would be much appreciated.
Speaker 4: U Mersi bojo.
Speaker 5: Everyone say a vaccoon Grand Verdi for Teke cour Jehan or Vaux or should we see on Montreal form to premiere tournier oh Quebec Ministra de Energy Resources.
Speaker 6: Sorry for that.
Speaker 4: I tortured your ears. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I tried I'm pleased to be here with my Parliamentary Secretary MP Claude Gay and our fellow colleague Tetiana Augustine. This is a city that's very fortunate to have such strong and enthusiastic voices representing them in Ottawa as your MPs these days, as I start most speeches by setting the table with something we all know, Canada is at a hinge moment in our history. To meet this moment, your new federal government has set a clear ambition to build the strongest Canada we have seen in generations and the most resilient economy in the G seven.
Speaker 4: To achieve this, we must.
Speaker 5: Focus on projects that leverage and advance homegrown Canadian talent, resources and expertise. That is how Canada will claim and cement its place as a global energy superpower. And in this hinge moment where we see a rapid global innovation race and a shift towards energy sovereignty, we were just talking about that. One strategic technology where Canada and certainly Quebec is in the lead is in the development of batteries. Across the world, nations are racing to design and build the batteries that will power tomorrow's vehicles and industries as we were just talking about, and today we are sending a clear message. World class innovation doesn't just happen in the United States.
Speaker 4: Or in Asia. It happens right here.
Speaker 5: It happens from Shewinigan to Bay Concour, in our labs, in our companies as.
Speaker 4: Dan Neuville come Ec a' Monrea.
Speaker 5: This matters because global battery demand is expected to grow nearly one hundred and fifty fold between twenty twenty two and twenty fifty to meet our net zero targets. Meeting that demand in a way that also ensures our sovereignty and creates jobs for Canadians means building resilience, supply chains, and Quebec, with its clean electricity, critical minerals, and skilled workforce, has the tools and expertise the world is looking for. That is why today I'm pleased to announce a federal investment of over twenty two million dollars in support of eight projects in Quebec and across the rest of Canada to accelerate battery innovation and production capacity all across this country. These investments are not just about technology or improving our carbon footprint. They are about building a cleaner, stronger and more sovereign Canada for generations to come. They're about skating to where the puck is going.
Speaker 7: The real estate market is changing.
Speaker 3: Isuelve new seven set even mass include the Secretary of Paramatta gimminist the Lineerg Resource Natural at Deputy, the las a mar Velder Jean Montreal made with the ceremony usual zrepo set even Eastern pleasing vout important pokemons issue and I can rein so so cni no cd the canyon k haka uh uk a long time said that ra can Nacion and Grand Jean Moyal recognize respect pepul to thank guard in traditional there can j ah don't give you as even man acceleration. The NGS three the battery example that the Parson Principal and Leona let tim Adson minies the lineers the resource Natural You can add and him if you want to come and give a few words to our audience and would be much appreciated.
Speaker 4: Mercy Bojo, Everyone.
Speaker 5: Say a raccoon Grand verditar for teke cousemaj Jehan or vaux or do we see on Montreal form to Premiere tournier okay a Ministra energy resources.
Speaker 8: Sorry for that.
Speaker 4: I tortured your ears. I'm sorry, I tried.
Speaker 5: I'm pleased to be here with my Parliamentary Secretary MP Claude Gay and our fellow colleague Tetiana Augustine. This is a city that's very fortunate to have such strong and enthusiastic voices representing them in.
Speaker 4: Ottawa as your MPs these days.
Speaker 5: As I start most speeches by setting the table with something we all know, Canada is at a hinge moment in our history. To meet this moment, your new federal government has set a clear ambition to build the strongest Canada we have seen in generations and the most resilient economy in the G seven. To achieve this, we must focus on projects that leverage and advance homegrown Canadian talent, resources and expertise. That is how Canada will claim and cement its place as a global energy superpower. And in this hinge moment where we see a rapid global innovation race and a shift towards energy sovereignty, we were just talking about that one strategic technology where Canada and certainly Quebec is in the lead is in the development of batteries across the world. Nations are racing to design and build the batteries that will power tomorrow's vehicles and industries. As we were just talking about, and today we are sending a clear message world class innovation doesn't just happen in the United States or in Asia.
Speaker 4: It happens right here.
Speaker 5: It happens from Shewinnigan to Bay Concour, in our labs, in our companies as.
Speaker 4: Dan Neuville come ec a' Monrea.
Speaker 5: This matters because global battery demand is expected to grow nearly one hundred and fifty fold between twenty twenty two and twenty fifty to meet our net zero targets. Meeting that demand in a way that also ensures our sovereignty and creates jobs for Canadians means building resilience, supply chains, and Quebec, with its clean electricity, critical minerals, and skilled workforce, has the tools and expertise the world is looking for. That is why today I'm pleased to announce a federal investment of over twenty two million dollars in support of eight projects in Quebec and across the rest of Canada to accelerate battery innovation and production capacity all across this country. These investments are not just about technology or improving our carbon footprint. They are about building a cleaner, stronger, and more sovereign Canada for generations to come. They're about skating to where the puck is going something I know Montreal Canadian fans like myself understand gohabs. These projects will improve battery design while lowering costs so batteries are more affordable and useful in cars, factories, and power grids. They will make battery supply more secure and environmentally friendly. And they will help new ideas grow into solutions that support our economy and our energy independence. In every battery design here there is more than just technology. There is the will of a country to do ambitious things and invest in itself, from coast to coast to coast, from the sourcing of our critical minerals all the way to assembly, from the leadership of indigenous communities to the innovation in our cities. We are moving forward as one Canada, strong, united and resolutely focused on the future.
Speaker 4: Merku messiku minis utchen.
Speaker 9: Does the Brian minister know that you're a Montreal Canadiens fan. I like the oilers too, Okay, knife, this is not technologation.
Speaker 3: I know Exploer at the cl Camo is Kerla mimaurtous.
Speaker 10: Good afternoon everyone. Well, my first line here says welcome to Nanoxploer. Well, we couldn't get you there, but I'm very glad to bring nano Explore here to you. Uh, mister minister, Our founder and CEO, Sarution Nazapur, came to Canada fifteen years ago. He started this company when he was just twenty six years old, an immigrant scientist with no capital, no network, and no friends. All he had was a small line of credit from RBC, which he used very wisely. Today, just fourteen years later, nano Explorer has grown into a global company of four hundred employees and one hundred thirty million dollars in revenue. If that isn't the Canadian dream come true, I don't know why is. Our founder has built this company with the same resilience that defines Canada itself, strong enough to whether the storms of a global pandemic and a recent turbulence in US Canada trade. Of course, none of this would have been possible without the hard work and sacrifice of our people and the continued support of governments at all levels, especially the federal government, the Government of Quebec and our local innovation hubs such as Prima Quebec. The federal government has been and continues to be a vital partner for Canadian innovation, a true enabler of growth and prosperity. Today that role is more important than ever because if you fail to invest in our innovation ecosystem. To borrow the words of a great Canadian critic, nor Strow Pride, Canada would disappear overnight from modern history and become what it was at first, a blank area of natural resources to be exploited by more advanced cultures. That's a bit dark, but that's my point across today and now to explore our Peris ten manufacturing plant stretching from Flow Saint Laurent to the Lake Ontario and the prairies of Winnipeg. We actually have a plant in Gimbli, Manitoba, Pierre in Montreal. We produce high performance battery cells for high power electronics and national defense, and they stand at the forefront of advanced materials and battery cell technology. We are proud to carry the Canadian story forward innovaiting here at home, competing in the world and proving that Canada can lead.
Speaker 3: Thank you, President, the Nova Nicks Battery Technology solution al Laurisi should be.
Speaker 11: School.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you for having me here on behalf of NAVONYX. I am honored to join you here in Montreal today, all the way from Nova Scotia. To recognize this important milestone for US our receipt of five million dollars in funding from Natural Resources Canada. This support will accelerate our work to bring next generation lithium ion battery materials and technologies to market and strengthen Canada's role in the global battery supply chain. At Navonics, our mission is to enable a cleaner energy future by developing innovative, sustainable solutions for the lithium ion battery industry. From our battery testing systems used by leading manufacturers around the globe, to our production of high performance synthetic graphite and ode material and now to our pioneering cathode technology, Nevonics is shaping the way batteries are made and used. The focus of today's announcement is our patented all dry, precursor free cathode synthesis process, traditionally making cathode active materials relies on energy intensive, wet processes that use large amounts of water and harmful substances. Our process eliminates those steps entirely, cutting energy use, removing chemical waste, reducing capital costs, and dramatically lowering emissions. In short, it represents a cleaner, more efficient, and more sustainable pathway to producing one of the most critical components of a battery. With the support of Natural Resources Canada, we will advance as technology from pilot scale to commercial readiness, optimize its performance with different critical minerals, and validate it in full scale battery cells. This is a crucial step towards building a resilient and environmentally responsible battery ecosystem here in Canada. The demand for batteries, as everyone here knows, is rising rapidly as electric vehicles, renewable energy storage, and cleaner technologies take center stage. Navonix is proud to be contributing solutions that not only meet the demand, but also ensure that the way we build those batteries aligns with our climate and sustainability goals. I want to thank Natural Resources Canada for their confidence in our team and our technology. Together we are advancing Canadian innovation and supporting the global transition to cleaner energy.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Letsi Boku, thank you.
Speaker 9: Very much, Lourie, and thank you for joining us today. It's much appreciated making the trip.
Speaker 3: By the way, there's going to be a chemical chemistry exam given by Louri after the announcement today, and I hope to ace it. Men gem to the bell now nice after attraction on the ash p Q Silicon inc. The news address lace will being pun parsimmanist.
Speaker 13: The stink is miss you sat turn on from what the serials PQ dem sutainly not franc on the draman complication removector during ophici ashpq cicon of an ugly span when you poking up the few not nicium. The value is really first K package Canada News totally resource natural poor a complet scaler skill format now commonly transforming on the material whcharado submission mission not material that No, that was m geneer Rasiumento is a not GRAPHID tradition libertine or limited the performance.
Speaker 4: It's a limited dance tad energy.
Speaker 13: The VID battery no material generation brings the limit the testing depend I don't confumingle mattery. They're not consumer speak often dancity energy sic PUV even the VIP. Just get mill six round person energy and milli six perspective. Whose are still well better about the grafite what I do, miss, I can put the city a pre millsic. You want to dun call, then you won't get the cat remadis pos under energy new commands at one million into a war. In fact, pre millisic not the a battery general well battery. It's the levels future Ami Racino in the prosding this condrab set a consuming possible compound seek the potential but really massive finance governments consumed period the sign the perf continue one percent material profer million battery is come in. You should do points, saying Graham, the graphit to the citizen. You just change in percentata the citizenum the graphic the citizen and percentage energy.
Speaker 4: On the extreme X city.
Speaker 13: That out on the count for coulty invest in ertic. When the accidly read a consulation on the premier system, the production will continue unique the material that know I wan say about the citizen in the start assume a future North American when she'd mean it, he says plantop he says she don't. Leadership Cannadine and the technology critsic transform into resource and Matterancy Kay level.
Speaker 4: Is easy name.
Speaker 13: It poses in need the can documents share the film modl then Economedian orgy problem on the Ashpecus Mercy, who if Minister for Vision Suiting hasand version Canadian.
Speaker 4: Mercy, mer Calin fo Mercy.
Speaker 3: Vicni met now a fire inmperiod the cast poly media Angelo malem There they keep the premimist Premi minist minist uh An said, period Lovik just gave you a promotion.
Speaker 14: Of a panic and.
Speaker 15: Doc Mercy to Monte doc Man. Media on the modern media curs see the journalist the pus o pluse and that the case on some media debut.
Speaker 16: The g.
Speaker 11: Missis Hutchin.
Speaker 17: So we're now opening the floor. Two questions from media.
Speaker 11: We asked that reporter's line up to the mic, and in the interest of time, we would ask that each reporter asked one question and one follow up at most. Please state your name and out late at the start of your questions. We for for French questions you can address to mister Gay and English questions to Minister Hutchin.
Speaker 18: Thank you can get for Radio Canada. It's for the minister. So the the mister Cronie is going to Washington on Tuesday. Do you expect any progress on the sectarial tariff.
Speaker 5: I think that's a that's a question for him. We are we have been related lessly focused on making sure we get the best deal we can for Canada. As I think all of you know today, we have the best deal of any country in the world. We are doing everything we can to protect where that deal is working. We are working on the individual sectors where the Americans have put unfair and unjust tariffs.
Speaker 4: We're well aware of what's.
Speaker 5: Going on here in Quebec with aluminum, with copper, with forest products, and we will do everything we can to manage those. We're also setting ourselves up, obviously for the next stage of negotiations.
Speaker 19: Of the.
Speaker 4: Renewal of KUSMA.
Speaker 5: It's something the Prime Minister is relentlessly focused on with Minister LeBlanc and I'm highly confident and we will advance things in the best way for Canada.
Speaker 18: Okay, thank you. And regarding the soft wood lumber sector, are you considering any financial help for the sector because it has been really hit by the tariff impost.
Speaker 2: By the US specifically for this sector.
Speaker 5: Please yes, So we've already announced a one point two billion dollar program for the sector. It involves accelerated access to employment benefits for affected workers, it involves a major retraining program for people who are affected, and there is a large pool of capital to help affected operators retool their businesses to become less reliant on the US market. The total of those supports total one point two billion dollars.
Speaker 20: Thank you, Hi, mister Hodgson Turias read Global News. Your government has highlighted projects of national significance that are not fully formed, like an Arctic security corridor and a critical mineral strategy. So what additional information is needed to get the oil pipeline that Alberta Premier Danielle Smith proposed onto that list? And is the federal government considering repealing the Northern BC tankervan.
Speaker 5: So what we've said is that if Alberta wants to be a proponent, they want to put they want to put the money forward to work as a proponent for a pipeline.
Speaker 4: That's their right to do so.
Speaker 5: They have said it will take them till the spring of next year before they have done enough work to come to us. They need to meet the five criteria we've laid out. They don't think they're ready to do that until next spring when they bring it forward. Like every other project, at that point, will take a look at what they're where they are, and we'll.
Speaker 4: Evaluate it at that time.
Speaker 5: And on the tanker Van, it's a hypothetical question right now because there is no project before us.
Speaker 20: And on another subject, on the Lithium America's deal, the US Department of Energy had announced an agreement with the Vancouver based company this week, with the Trump administration getting a five percent stake in the Canadian company. So does the federal government have any national security concerns about foreign governments having stakes in Canadian companies in strategic sectors.
Speaker 5: Like critical minerals, so that the mind that they're invested in is a mine that's in the United States.
Speaker 4: As there are foreign review.
Speaker 5: If there's a control situation happening, there's no control situation here. A five percent stake isn't something from a friendly government. Isn't something that we're worried about.
Speaker 14: Hi, Miriam Lafotin from the Canadian Press, Yes, do you think marin vests proposed luquefied natural gas project in Quebec has the potential to allow Canada to export large volumes of liquefied natural gas to Europe.
Speaker 5: So I understand that's a project that was looked at in the past. They have not come to us, and they certainly have not talked to me. If they came to me, the first thing I would do is ask Quebec how Quebec is looking at that project. What I can tell you is our allies around the world are very interested in our natural resources. Being over in Germany a couple of weeks ago, they could not have been clearer. They are looking for our natural resources if we're prepared to offer them to them. If that's going to come through Quebec, that requires the support of the Quebec the jurisdiction, Quebec government and the support of first affected first nations. So if and when Marior invest wants to re engage that, they are welcome to do it. They will be evaluated like any other project. They'll need the support of the local jurisdiction and the support of the affected first nations.
Speaker 14: Thank you, this is a question from my colleague. I understood that your office and your Department had met with lobbyists from Marior invest Energy Canada when the company has no employees in Quebec and hasn't proposed a project yet. Can you say why.
Speaker 5: I am sure they may have met with somebody in the part. They certainly didn't meet with me. We will listen to anyone who has a potential idea. My sense is this is not a price project that is at a scale where we need to be looking at. It's certainly not a project of national interest at this point.
Speaker 6: Hi again, mister Hodgson, this is Leo Schurtzer from the Mental Gazette. For these battery plant investments. Is the government taking steps to avoid repeating the failure of the Northfold project? I know that was more the provincial government's jurisdiction, but yeah.
Speaker 5: We didn't invest in that, and I'm not going to comment on investments that the Quebec government made. Look what I will say is in Canada we need to celebrate entrepreneurs. We need to celebrate people who are trying to do new things and bringing new jobs.
Speaker 4: These people here are.
Speaker 5: Bootstrapping businesses. We heard the story of somebody who came here with nothing in their pocket. Probably mortgaged whatever they had. Sometimes those things fail. That's part of business. I mean, I'm a business person, but that's part of business. When somebody fails. We shouldn't look down on the We should say good for you for trying. Let's help you get back up and get on again, and this time you're going to be a success. And so look, the tone of the question was there's something wrong with investing in a company. Some companies aren't going to make it. We need to support our entrepreneurial spirit. We need to support new ventures. That's what creates the businesses of the future. Every one of the people in this room are going to get there because we step up and help them.
Speaker 4: And I know the federal government will keep doing that.
Speaker 5: I won't speak for the Quebec government, but I hope they keep doing it as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, the electricity or electric projects are new territory and it will be bumps in the road. But even thinking of like the line electric bus recall with one of the buses bursting flames, just with with electricity projects there there there seems to be more steps that need to be taken to kind of mitigate some of these Some of these bumps. I guess I'm wondering if there's any concrete plans or any changes to to past electricity project investments, or any sort of extra oversight that can be taken.
Speaker 5: Again that that was not an investment, that that are I'm not going to critique other people's investments. What I'm going to say is, uh, when you invest in new businesses and new products, we have approval processes, we have safety regimes.
Speaker 4: We will put them through them.
Speaker 5: From a federal government perspective, as are are entrepreneurial.
Speaker 4: Leaders over here are who are basically.
Speaker 5: Going out creating companies, creating jobs for engineers, creating good paying jobs, and creating new technologies.
Speaker 4: There will be challenges with products.
Speaker 5: They will get feedback from regulators, they will adjust their products, they will make them better.
Speaker 4: We should celebrate that.
Speaker 21: Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Hello, Matthew Bokou, Thank you very much, everyone, Jure Sweating, Bencoirie. I know it's entrepreneurs.
Speaker 9: Let's go.
Speaker 22: I guess, good afternoon. I'm so excited, I can't even get the time of day right. It's a great day, indeed, and thank you for joining us today for this incredibly historic occasion. I'm Brian Jean, the Minister of Energy and Minerals and proud MLA of Fort mc murray Laclabish, and today I'm joined as you can see, by the Premier of the Great Province of Alberta, Daniel Smith, raj And Sani, Minister of Indigenous Relations, and Alex Pourbet, co chair of the Technical Advisory Group. My friends, I am very excited because today we have some of the top men and women in the room today that built this province through oil and gas, and as you know, oil and gas built much of this province and much of Western Canada. We are in Alberta very excited about what we're going to do, and while we continue to diversify our products, our resources and our markets, it will oil and gas remain our future for the next generation. At the very lea Our government and I think most Elberton's understand that reality.
Speaker 17: It's not news.
Speaker 22: The challenge has always been about getting our message heard in Ottawa and some of the other provinces and making sure they understand just how vital oil is to our and Canadian prosperity. I'd like to turn the podium over to our Premier, who will tell us just how we're preparing to show Canadians from coast to coast to coast our commitment to turning this great country into an energy superpower and helping generations of Canadians have a better quality of life.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 19: Well, Thank you so much, minister, and thank you for the incredible work you've done on getting us to this point. I understand we have over one hundred leaders from the energy sector in the room with us today and it is indeed an exciting announcement and I know you've done an incredible work on it. Very pleased to be here not only with our Minister of Energy, Brian Jean, but also our Minister of Indigenous Relations roj Andsani, who has been making tons of phone calls in the last couple of days and ensuring that everyone knew what who might be impacted by this, what our intentions were, as well as Alex poor By, executive chair of Sonova's Energy in, one of our leading companies in the oil sands operations in Alberta. We also have representatives from the energy sector, pipeline companies and indigenous communities and we've come together here today because Canada stands at a critical crossroads Beneath our feet here in Alberta, we stand on oil reserves valued at over nine trillion dollars. This resource wealth presents Canada and Canadians with boundless opportunities. This wealth would equate to hundreds of billions of dollars in government revenue. It could be used to support core social programs like healthcare and education, bolster Canada's national security commitments under NATO, and unlock economic prosperity for indigenous peoples.
Speaker 2: Not only would it allow for governments at.
Speaker 19: All levels across the country to fund social programs, it would generate job creation and well for Canadians and Albertans on a scale rarely.
Speaker 2: Seen in recent decades.
Speaker 19: This type of transformational wealth cannot be kept in the ground, and Canadians agree. Over the past six months, it has become clear that Canadians nationwide see the tremendous opportunity that we have to unleash the economic potential of our energy sector. In fact, recent polling has shown that three quarters of Canadians support building a new oil pipeline. Additionally, the global demand for oil is increasing and the world wants more Canadian oil and gas. We've heard this from Asia in Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, and Indonesia, to name a few. We've heard this from Europe and we know that we need to deliver on global energy security efforts. There are billions of people around the world living in energy poverty who demand a higher standard of living. This is not just a question of Alberta's energy. It is a global moral imperative. What stands before us right now is a once in a generation opportunity to unlock our wealth of resources and become a world leading energy superpower, creating lasting prosperity for generations to come. But to realize this potential, the federal government must make meaningful and substantive reforms to Canada's regulatory environment to revive investor certainty. The simple fact is that you will not see companies sink billions of dollars into new major projects unless the federal government overturns or overhauls is Trudeau era anti resource development policies.
Speaker 2: And that includes the oil and gas the oil.
Speaker 19: And Gas emissions cap, which we know as a production cap Bill C.
Speaker 2: Sixty nine, the.
Speaker 19: No More Pipelines Law, and the tanker ben which have made investment in new oil and gas projects extremely difficult, and this is what we've heard from industry and potential investors. They will not invest in a new pipeline with these bad laws and regulations in place. You can't build pipeline to the northwest coast and still have a tanker van. You cannot have an emissions cap that is so aggressive that companies would have to shut in operations in order to achieve it. And you can't have enthusiasm to export natural gas and win the AI data war and then have punitive policies against using natural gas on Alberta's electricity grid. Now I've made this case abundantly clear to the Prime Minister, and what I can tell you is this that I am more optimistic now than I have ever been over that the concerns of Elberton's are finally being heard. While we still have details to work out, I do look forward to reach an agreement that will profoundly benefit Alberta and Canada's economies. Major investment is what grows our economy, creates jobs, prosperity, and enhances our standard of living. And without question, a new oil pipeline to the northwest BC coast would have the greatest economic benefit of any new nation building project. For example, had we completed the Northern Gateway Project, the Energy East Project and EasTone Excel Pipeline Project, Canada's GDP today would be fifty five billion dollars stronger each and every year. We cannot let another opportunity of this economic magnitude pass us by again, and that's why we are announcing that the Government of Alberta will be the proponent of an oil pipeline to the northwest PC coast, with the support and technical advice of three major pipeline companies, including South bom and Bridge and Trans Mountain. Our government will make a formal application to the Federal Project Office under the Building Canada Act. Today we are beginning the engagement process with indigenous groups across Alberta and British Columbia to ensure that they can be part of this nation building effort. That conversation must begin with indigenous engagement not as a checkbox, but as a foundation for relationship building, trust and shared leadership. This will lay the ground work for full and thorough consultation as this project meets regulatory milestones. To be clear, though, this is about more than just fulfilling a legal duty to consult It's about working together from the beginning to ensure that we get it right, this time informed by Indigenous perspectives and experiences. We also want to have Indigenous partners at the table as owners, to participate not only as holders of territory, but as co owners of a project and an asset that will provide wealth for First Nations for generations. Our Indigenous Relations team, led by Minister Rogensoni, will develop and lead an engagement plan in collaboration with First Nations across both provinces. You'll hear more details about this from the Minister shortly. And to get this nation building pipeline project underway, Alberta's government is committing fourteen million dollars to the technical design and detailed application design. To be clear, Alberta taxpayers will not be on the hook to build this pipeline, but this initial investment is crucial to get this important work underway and we cannot let billions in investment in future revenues continue to flee our nation. We have worked closely with our pipeline companies to chart a path forward so that we can provide a detailed plan to be approved by the federal government. This work will be guided by an expert advisory committee with a dedicated full time project management team that includes the top pipeline experts in North America. And it is my hope, with Alberta as the proponent, that we will see this pipeline project on the next list of nation building projects announced by the federal government come great up in November. With today's announcement, Alberta is prepared to answer the call to support global energy security efforts while creating lasting prosperity for Alberton's and Canadians for generations to come.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and I'll turn it over to the minister.
Speaker 22: So Calgary, are you excited? I said, are you excited? We've waited a long time for this. I'd like to turn it over to Minister Sawning now for a few words.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Thank you very much, Minister Gene and thank you Premier Smith, and thank you to all of you for being here today. It means a lot to us. Today's announcement is about more than a planning initiative. It's a chance to reimagine how we build partnerships, not just pipelines. We know that prosperity depends on partnership and partnerships begin with trust. Alberta's government is committed to a principled approach to Indigenous engagement, one that starts early, listens deeply, and puts communities at the center of decision making. Indigenous communities are not just partners, they're rights holders, leaders, and knowledge keepers. Their voices must shape the path forward projects like the theater, LNG and so Lisiam's and show us what's possible when Indigenous communities lead. It's not just about inclusion, it's also about ownership. That's why we're engaging Indigenous communities in Alberta and BC from day one, starting at the very beginning of project design.
Speaker 2: We've learned from.
Speaker 7: Past mistakes and we want b C first nations to know that we've heard you loud and clear. We're committed to getting this right. Over the past few days, Minister Gene and I have spoken directly with leaders from nations in both provinces, and over the coming weeks and months, our ministries and the project advisory team will be reaching out to all nations along the potential routes. That includes engaging communities upstream, midstream, and downstream from any potential site or route. We're engaging on everything from roots specifics and environmental protections to opportunities for Indigenous ownership, equity stakes, and long term prosperity. This is about more than infrastructure. It's about economic reconciliation and building lasting prosperity. Together, nothing is locked in. We are here to listen, share information transparently, and ensure Indigenous voices shape decisions that affect their lands, their livelihoods, and their futures. This initiative lays a foundation for trust, for opportunity and shared leadership values that will shape the future of energy development in Canada. Together, together we can build something meaningful. Thank you once again for being here today. I'll hand it back to Minister Gene.
Speaker 22: Thank you, Minister Sauni, and thank you especially for your leadership. Premiere, She's just an amazing Premier and I have to say it.
Speaker 17: Next, i'd like to talk.
Speaker 22: I'd like to introduce and call on the co chair of the Advisory Groups, Alex Burbe.
Speaker 17: Alex, please come on up.
Speaker 23: Thanks thanks very much, minister, and I wanted to start off first by thanking the Premier for the opportunity to serve Alberta and this industry that has been so good to me and the country. I also want to thank the Premier for the courage to step up and try to break the logjam that has stood in the way of pipelines and greater industry development in general. As a representative of the energy industry, I can tell you that the industry believes that under the right conditions, Canada really can become an energy superpower, something that will benefit Canada and all Canadians. Recently, over ninety energy executives joined in signing a letter to the Prime Minister asking him to move faster in making the regulatory and policy changes that can make Canada a country where big projects can once again be built and a country that can attract the global capital to build projects of national significance. In the last few decades, pipelines have lost billions of dollars in investment in pipelines that could not get the regulatory or political gatekeepers to reach final investment decisions. When people started talking this year about how a pipeline to the West Coast could be a project that should be in Canada's national interest, I immediately saw the challenge. After the experience of the past decades of years of wasted effort and billions of dollars in wasted development costs. No pipeline executives would go to his or her board of directors and ask for development money to build a pipeline. In Canada, Industry told the Prime Minister and the federal government exactly that the response from the federal government has been clear. They would only consider changes when asked by a proponent. No one from industry would be a proponent without the changes first. The premiers call this a chicken and egg problem, and it is a problem she has decided to take on. Alberta will be the proponent to get this project designated and to get important regulatory changes made. Alberta will step up with a small early investment to break the logjam.
Speaker 17: The federal government will.
Speaker 23: Then have to deliver. It will have to deliver in the right regulatory environment. This project makes sense to industry and will be investable. The collective team that will assist in advising and supporting the government has hundreds of years of experience in all aspects of pipeline projects, from indigenous outreach and partnering experience to environmental expertise and science and engineering of major pipeline projects. Our role will be to help advise the government on how to develop the safest pipeline ever built with the maximum levels of support from Canadians and las local communities. I'm very happy to join the Premier and the technical advisory team to get these changes and to get this project through.
Speaker 17: Thanks very much.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 22: I can see the excitement in the room, and I think a lot of Elberton's and Western Canadians and Canadians are very.
Speaker 17: Excited about the prospects we have in front of us.
Speaker 4: I'm going to with that.
Speaker 22: That concludes our formal program. I'm going to turn it over to Sam now to handle the news conference and the questions.
Speaker 17: Thank you, thank you. We'll now head into our media Q and a section for media here in the room with the media mic is just to the left of the cameras. There. We'll be taking one question, one follow up. Remember to please state your name and outlet before your question. We'll start off here in the room before making our way to the phones. Go ahead, first at the mic.
Speaker 24: Thanks, It's Tim with CTV for the premieer. Please, I'm way back here. Lot of big heads in the camera kids said it not me to me, this seems a little bit risky if you don't have some sort of promise from Ottawa that these nine laws are going to be repealed.
Speaker 2: So do you know something we don't know.
Speaker 19: Well, we've limited our risk because we've allocated fourteen million dollars to get it through the first couple of stages.
Speaker 2: Of technical design.
Speaker 19: I just have confidence that if we fix the investment climate and get an agreement with the federal government to move forward on this on the major projects list, that proponents will step up and it will be built with private sector money. I've said all along that the only way to build a pipeline is with taxpayer dollars. Then this will have been a failed exercise. We actually have to create an investment climate so the private sector feels some confidence in investing in these kinds of projects. Again, it needed to be kickstarted because if we won't see a proponent until we have the laws fixed, and so we're prepared to be the proponent to get it to the.
Speaker 24: Point perfect and then obviously there's going to be a little bit of pushback here. We already have the premier to the west of us calling this not realistic, essentially a distraction. So how do you plan to deal with some of the opponents to this project, whether it's the Premier next door, whether it's some of these indigenous groups, whether it's just an activist who don't want a pipeline.
Speaker 19: Well, I would say this that, you know, if we had been able to redraw the map at the founding of Alberta, maybe we would have drawn it with a little bit of British.
Speaker 2: Columbia so that we had a port.
Speaker 19: Maybe Port of Prince Rupert would have been part of Alberta as opposed to a part of British Columbia. But we didn't have the luxury of doing that. Instead, to make sure that we were a country, we build the Trans Canada Railroad, we built a Trans Canada Highway. We've partnered with British Columbia to ensure that their natural gas can make it through Alberta through a pipeline to get to the US market. And we've wanted to make sure that all of the goods that come into British Columbia into their ports have free entry and free access through Alberta. That's the deal that we have. I think that coastal provinces have a special obligation to be generous in making sure that we're creating access to ports for all of our products. I know that Alberta shares that view. I have not publicly opposed any project that has been proposed by any of my primarial counterparts. I'm very supportive of any of their aspirations, and we're going to make sure that we can find areas of common ground. I would say about this project in particular, it was approved, it was going to go ahead, and yet a political decision canceled it. So this was a shovel ready project some ten years ago, and now it's a matter of seeing with the technical changes, with some of the advancement technology, with some of the things that we know about building to the coast, with some of the new expectations about indigenous equity ownership. Now we're going to see if we can revitalize that and maybe have a shortcut because it was ready to go just a short time ago. So I will continue, as I said, to work to build the coalition of partner who are going to be on board with this. But this is a Canada project, and this is a This is a test of whether Canada works is a country, because if we can't build with a collaboration of the federal government and between provinces. If it's everybody gets to get their products going to market except Alberta. That's not a country. A country as well where we support each other. And I think Canadians are there and I hope that we can get more and more politicians to get there too.
Speaker 17: Thanks thanks to him, and we'll go to our next point.
Speaker 6: Hi, Lauren Krugel, Canadian Press.
Speaker 25: Following up on that, could you talk a little bit about what kind of conversations event you've had with Premier eb recently leading up to this. Has he been given the heads up that this was coming, and how confident are you that you know it's possible to persuade him that this is in Canada's interest.
Speaker 19: I did give him a courtesy call on Monday to let him know that this was coming, and I saw his initial reaction.
Speaker 2: And obviously we have some work to do.
Speaker 19: I mean, I understand the priorities that he has on some of the projects that have come forward, and as I.
Speaker 2: Said, we're very supportive. We're very supportive of.
Speaker 19: An optimization of the Trans Mountain pipeline that might add another two hundred and seventy five thousand barrels a day. We think that's a great project. We're very supportive of all of the natural gas development Energy Canada too, which is on the list, as well as lism's and others that have been indicated that might get there. We think that that is going to be good for not only British Columbia, but also for us. We're also very supportive of talking about ways in which we can build inentertise so that we can assist BC in times where they have drought in being able to provide a secure energy backup and vice versa. And we have a biodiesel facility that is up in operation. Most of that is destined for the VC market with their clean fuel standards, and we hope to do more of that. So I like to build with the other premiers on areas in which we agree. We don't always agree on everything all the time, but I think we've got a lot of common ground to start from, and I think as we continue on and build the relationships that we'll be able to.
Speaker 2: I hope, win him over.
Speaker 19: I might want to get my Indigenous relations Minister though, to respond to that too, because I know that she's been making many many calls to indigenous leaders as well, and I think she could probably tell you what kind of reaction she's gotten there.
Speaker 7: Yes, thank you, Premier. So like the Premier, I was on the phone on Monday calling many Indigenous leaders, both in BC and Alberta, and the responses were different from what you may have expected about ten years ago, eight years ago. There was more support than I had anticipated, and of course there are concerns about environmental protections, but the fact that we're engaging early and we're being transparent and having very respectful conversations certainly helps. This is not consultation. We're just talking about the initiative, and I have heard from many Indigenous leaders that they're very interested in equity ownership and being part part of this energy infrastructure. So we're pleased with what we've heard. We know that there's a lot of work to do and engagement has to be frequent, and it has to be, as I said before, transparent and very respectful.
Speaker 25: I had a follow up actually for you, Minister Sonia, and fortunate that you're up here. You know, in your opening remarks you alluded to, you know, learning from past mistakes, So I'm wondering if you could elaborate on what was done, say in the Northern Gateway era that you're hoping to do differently this time.
Speaker 7: So what we've heard both from industry and Indigenous leaders is that Indigenous voices were not central to the process as Northern Gateway was being discussed. So we've learned from that. We've spoken to indigenous leaders and again in industry as well, and they've provided some additional feedback and advice, And the key piece of advice was to pick up the phone, go to the community, meet people where they're at, and tell them what it is that you hope to do, and really listen to their concerns and do whatever you can to alleviate or mitigate. So those are some of the learnings that we're taking with us, and we're certainly going to spend a lot more time in the engagement process.
Speaker 17: Thank you. We're going to take two more questions from the floor here and then go to the phones.
Speaker 22: I would also like to address some of the technology has changed, in particular on pipelines, they can tell when Now with some of the technology, they can tell when the moose walks across the top of a pipeline. Now we have double holed tankers. Some of the strictest laws and navigation and marine laws in the world come from Canada. So we have an abundance of change on the West coast that wasn't there the original time as well, and.
Speaker 17: We've seen the significant change that's made go ahead.
Speaker 26: Hi Premier Megan Pikin's financial posts, I, mister Porbey spoke a little bit to this, but can you address this aspect of this enterprise, which is why does the Alberta government need to be involved at all? Isn't planning a pipeline kind of the straightforward part, the part that these these did the private sector is really good at. Why is the government the one coming.
Speaker 17: Up with this project?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you a couple of things. I mean, first of all, let's remember who owns the resource.
Speaker 19: The resource is about eighty five percent owned by the people of Alberta and the Government of Alberta represents that and we partner with the private sector through lease agreements to be able to develop our resource. And so what we hear from our partners is that they're not prepared to expand production if they can't get rid of these nine bad laws, especially themissions, the emissions cap, which is really a production cap, and nor can they pledge barrels to a pipeline if the tanker ban is still in effect. So this is the problem that we find ourselves in, is that we as the owner to try to steward this resource on the behalf of our people have a partner that's not willing to expand because of.
Speaker 2: Bad federal law. So that's one reason.
Speaker 19: The other reason is I had an opportunity on a trade mission to be in Mexico and I heard about TC Energy success in partnering with.
Speaker 2: The Mexican government.
Speaker 19: They have challenges too down there, but they managed to partner with the Mexican government where the Mexican government began with the community benefits agreement, the consultation, the permitting process, and the company ended up focusing on the technical aspects of building a pipeline. They were able to get from final investment decision to completion on a seven hundred and fifty kilometer pipeline in three years. It was the biggest success in their history, and so I think we can learn from that. If there is work that needs to be done by governments to make sure that we can address issues of community benefits and equity partnership ownership sake.
Speaker 2: That is our job. We also have created a new mechanism. I'm going to be a third answer.
Speaker 19: We also created a mechanism called the Alberta Indigenous Opportunities Corporation, which allows us to provide loan guarantees so that indigenous bands can take an equity stake in various projects.
Speaker 2: We've got forty three over the forty.
Speaker 19: Four bands in Alberta that have done so, seven projects that will represent one point three billion dollars worth of revenue. And so for us to be able to secure indigenous ownership equity and underwrite it, we need to be at the table. So these are all of the reasons why the things are slightly different this time than they were before. It would be optimal if a pipeline proponent had a clear path to being able to get a project approved without the need to partner with government.
Speaker 2: But that's not the world we live in.
Speaker 19: We live in a world where you do need a government to demonstrate that they are a partner and are going to walk the path with you. And that's what we're telling the industry. We're going to do this, We're going to get it on the major project list, and we will be at the table for as long as the industry needs us.
Speaker 26: To Thank you, Mike. Follow up is for mister Porbey. How did could you speak a little bit to the volume of this pipeline?
Speaker 2: How did the one million.
Speaker 26: Barrels per day size?
Speaker 2: How has that arrived at?
Speaker 26: And also what is the producer's perspective on this? You spoke about why the pipeline firms aren't necessarily going to their board directors with, you know, looking for authorization to proceed. As a private proponent leading this charge, what is a producer perspective though? Are you are these producers prepared to commit barrels?
Speaker 21: You know?
Speaker 23: Those are good questions, Megan, I'll try to hit them. I don't know if I'll do it in the exact order, but you know, I think it goes without saying. In the premiere talked about this a little bit in her comments. Alberta has some of the best oil and gas resource in the entire world. Depending on who you look at, we're third or fourth overall. We have the world's most stringent environmental rules, we have the rule of law. We are a safe place to invest. This is companies would love to invest in growing production in this province. But there's a really sad reality right now is that it doesn't do my company or any company any good right now to materially grow production if we cannot get that production to global markets. And that's the problem we find ourselves in right now. And if we were able to have a regulatory regime that was understandable, transparent, but people understood what it would take to get projects permitted, to get pipelines permitted and built, I think you would see you'd see an incredible renaissance of growth coming out of the Alberta oil and gas sector. You know, in terms of a million barrels, and you know, maybe the Premier the minister might want to talk about that too, but I think a million is it's a nice round number. I think it is a scale of growth that our industry can chin up to over the next decade or so. If we have that pipeline, if we're able to permit and build that pipeline, I think that's something that the Alberta industry could do. We could fill that pipeline over a reasonable period of time. It would be a huge benefit to the Canadian economy. All the provinces and obviously the people of Alberta.
Speaker 17: Thank you, Thanks be. We'll take one more from the mike here and then head to the phones. A. Hi, this is a question for Alex. It's Chris Parkle from the Calgary Herald. Alex.
Speaker 27: In her previous career, you had some involvement in pipelines Energy East, Keyston Excel and you know how they obviously ended up.
Speaker 17: You can see the scars on my back. So what's different this time?
Speaker 27: What makes you think ten years later that you can secure federal support to get a project across the finish line.
Speaker 23: You know, I think a lot has changed, and your administer Sauny talk about that with respect to Indigenous views in many cases, but you know, I think right now I'll give you my own personal take. Canada is facing great challenges with respect to our economy, affordability, housing, you name it. And we have a revenue problem with our country and with our government, and the Premier hit this in her remarks this is truly a nation building kind of a project. A project of this scale would add many, many billions of GDP a year to the Canadian economy and all the benefits that that would bring in terms of incremental tax revenue, employment.
Speaker 27: You know.
Speaker 23: And I think Canadians have also realized that we will always have a continuing challenge about balancing environment in the economy. But I think what a lot of people have realized is that the world right now really needs energy security and it needs energy affordability. And I think there was a view maybe five, six, seven, eight years ago that the oil and gas sector was a sunset industry, that all of that energy would be replaced by solar farms, wind farms, battery you know, battery, giant batteries, you know. I think the experience globally over that time is that the countries that have attempted to go down that path have had rail problems with affordability, They've had problems with reliability of energy, and it has been very challenging for those countries. And I think we're at a point now where Canadians appreciate that there has to be a balance between the environment and energy affordability, energy reliability, and that's that's what I think has significantly.
Speaker 27: Changed over that period of time. My follow up is for the premiere Premier. The Prime Minister in the past has said that he would only consider a pipeline project, an oil pipeline project to be included on the list if proponents came forward with a project. What indications do you have from the Prime Minister that he would consider a proposal coming directly from the Government Alberta. And how should we interpret the fact that Trans Mountain Corp. Is involved in this group of three companies that it is going to help consider the development.
Speaker 19: I would say that we've had great conversations with all of our pipeline companies, including Mbridge as well, By the Way and at the table, I think Alex mentioned that we have something in the order of five hundred and fifty years of collective pipeline experience in our technical Advisory Committee, which says to me that there's a lot of enthusiasm on the part of everyone who has expertise in being able to build projects of this scale, in helping us to move it along. I think Trans Mountain season all of the above approach. We've been very supportive of their aspirations to expand their production, whether through compression or some of the other mechanisms that they're using to judging the second narrows. So I think what they see is that because we understand that things can be staged, supporting trans Mountain, supporting Endbridge's expansion of its mainline. And this is a project that if we start today, may be able to be commissioned and start up within within five to ten years. So I think that it's all a matter of scale, but I think it enhances the projects of every pipeline company for us to be talking about a project of this particular scale. I don't think the Prime Minister will be surprised. I've told him that you can't build a shiny new pipeline if there's no one willing to put the production in it. And to be able to get the producers like Sonovas and others to be willing to expand production, we've got to address the bad loss, the tanker band, the emissions cap, the ban on being able to talk about emissions performance, that so called green washing bill, among the convoluted process for approvals through C sixty nine, all of those things. And so the Prime Minister and I we've got teams that are working together and trying to work through all of these. I know that the Pathways project is also one of the other projects we'd like to see on the major project list, So a brand new pipeline that would allow twenty billion dollars a year of revenue when complete with a project like the pathways project, which we hear is about ten to twenty billion. It's a lot easier to pay for that when you've got a new revenue stream. But to get either of those built, we have to fix the underlying investment climate. And I think that's the grand bargain we're talking about, is all of those things together.
Speaker 21: Thank you.
Speaker 17: We have time for a few more questions. We're going to head over to the phones. Operator. Could you put through our first caller please.
Speaker 8: Your next question thumps from Alex Blingle of the Toronto Star. Your line is already open.
Speaker 28: Hey, thank you very much for the premiery You mentioned you've been feeling optimistic about the situation with federal regulations. I think you said more than ever. I'm wondering, especially on the tanker band, since we're talking about a new pipeline to a place where you know, exporting major sizeable tankers of oil is currently against the law. Without reassurance that that band is going to be listening, that federal law is going to be changed, aren't you spending fourteen million dollars to plan a pipeline to essentially a dead end right now.
Speaker 19: Well, I'm anticipating that they will make either a repeal of that legislation or acknowledge that the port that we need to export from needs to have some kind of carbot.
Speaker 2: That would be my anticipation.
Speaker 19: We do have Porter Prince Rupert represented in our Technical Advisory Committee, and my Minister of Indigenous Relations has visited Porter Prince Rupert and talked with at least one of the area bands there, so we're we're already beginning the work on trying to figure out the technical feasibility of that as a potential port. I know Kiddimat was the destination of the original pipeline and at the moment there's a lot of construction going on on the BC coast, so things have also changed a lot in the last ten years. So I think it's worth it to have the conversation. But the Prime Minister knows I haven't been quiet about it. I've let him know that repealing the tanker band in whole or in part has got to be essential to getting a new.
Speaker 28: Pipeline built, and just on that my understanding from listening to the Prime Minister on this question when he was announcing the first list of projects. He was talking about passways applot and was framing that, you know, the Grand Bargain that have been talking go at if they want a pipeline in Alberta, they need to do pathways and sort of connecting those things. Where are I guess on pathways, you mention what you want that to go forward as well? Is the problems willing to put up more money or help in any way to get that off the ground. We have clear the wave for the Grand Partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have.
Speaker 19: We were first to put an investment tax credit in place. I know that the that the federal government we're talking about it and the time they were talking about it. We passed it through our process. So it's a twelve percent rebate on capital costs. And we also have just made changes to our Tier program. That's our our program that generates over a billion dollars a year from our carbon pricing on industry. The pipelines, the pathways group of companies pay about three or four hundred million into that fund, and so we've made changes to Tier that allow them to be able to use those dollars to recycle back into building out the pathways project. So we've we have already the two changes that we needed to make in order to put the provincial support on the table. And I'm I don't oppose the way that the Prime Minister is framing, that is pathways plus going forward with both, but both means both. It means also a bitchman pipeline as well, so that we have a new source of revenue.
Speaker 17: Thank you, operator. Could you put through our next color please?
Speaker 8: Your next question comes from Robert Tuttle of Bloomberg News. The line has already opened.
Speaker 21: Yes, Hi, you said that your confident a real proponent, a private proponent would come through once this is sort of proposed, and and I guess changes are made to legislation, but are you at all prepared to be a proponent of final resort if that doesn't happen? I mean, can you ensure that that that that Alberta taxpayers won't be through Crown Corporation or something.
Speaker 19: I can tell you that I think Alberta will need to be at the table all the way through to completion.
Speaker 2: We can't let our pipeline proponents.
Speaker 19: Have to navigate through all the complexities of a regulatory process without us being able to walk with them. I think that the requirements of indigenous consultation mean that we should be at the table. We've developed an expertise now over the number intervening number of years with our Alberta Indigenous Opportunities Corporation, and so I think that they will want us to walk the path and we will provide our Alberta Indigenous Opportunities Corporation loan guarantee to ensure that there's an equity stake for Indigenous partners. So that's all the reasons why we will be at the table. But as I said as well, that these are the types of projects that should be built by the private sector. Nobody has a spare of thirty four billion dollars kicking around to be able to build a new pipeline project in any level of government, least of all ours or the federal government. We absolutely need to restore investor confidence that some of those dollars will come back. And you have to remember, we calculate there's something like half a trillion dollars worth of potential investment dollars that have exited our market in the last ten years. Because of these bad policies. So I have every confidence that if we get this on the major project list, it falls in that two year window, we walk with our partners every step of the way and get indigenous equity ownership in it. I have every confidence that the ultimate construction will be done by the private.
Speaker 21: Sector and that will exclude government ownership or provincial ownership. Is that correct?
Speaker 19: Well, As I said, we have a loan guarantee mechanism that we are prepared to use, and that's part of the reason why we'll stay at the table. But if you're asking me if I'm prepared to spend thirty four billion dollars on a government funded pipeline, the answer is no. And I think again it would be a failure of the process if that's the only way to get a pipeline built in this country. We have to repair the process so that we can get private sector dollars back here.
Speaker 17: Thank you, and we just have time for one more question today. Operator, could you put through our next color please.
Speaker 8: Your next question comes from Amanda Stephenson of Rulers. Your line is already open.
Speaker 16: Hi er, I'm just trying to better understand the timing here, Like do you have a sense that if all of the contentious federal legislation that is getting in the way of pipeline construction at this point was removed, that there would be private capital ready to put shovels in the ground like tomorrow or is this like a longer term thing where the private capital would be you know, this might be something that they would be willing to work towards, you know, a few years from now as they see production from Western Canada rising.
Speaker 19: Well, what I have heard is that there's a number of different project proposals that could be staged. I think that the Trans Mountain expansion to be able to increase two hundred and seventy five thousand barrels per day is probably one of the earlier ones that would be done. En Bridges their optimization of their mainline probably also would happen earlier than that. But if we want to get something ultimately built of this scale, especially if you look at how long it took to do the actual construction of the Trans Mountain pipeline, if we want something to be able to be in a position to deliver to market in the early thirties, we'd have to start.
Speaker 7: Now, that's.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.