Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Depictions Media Radio. Welcome to policy and rights we show. Okay, welcomer policy Human Joys. Welcome back to policy and rights here in Depictions Media Radio. Okay. So well, now we're going to actually talk about Trump and as in a different report, we said that even as we're speaking, that Marines are merging onto the Mexican border as Trump said he would do. Well, I gotta give Donald Donald J. Trump this much credit. When he says he's going to do something, he doesn't. He doesn't tell you I'm going to say I'm going to do one thing and then do something different. He does exactly what he says he's going to do. So if he says he's going to fortify the Mexican border to stop h illegal immigrations and to stop what he calls criminal activity along that border, then that's exactly what he's going to do. If he says he's going to put twenty five present tariffs against Canada and all of their products, then he is definitely going to do that. And and if he gives you a deadline of February first to uh come with a reason for him to not do it, then your deadline is truly February first, and he is going to do whatever he wants unless you comply with with his reasoning. You have to give him credit for that and all the all the credit, all that credit. You know, he doesn't doesn't back talk you. He tells you straight what he's going to do. What I find demoralizing about Donald Trump is much for the same reasons is because he doesn't listen to any type of reason that he just pushes forward and does what he wants, and that is the end of the conversation. He doesn't hear what you have to say. He only speaks at you. Okay, So we're gonna hear from Justin Trudeau and h and his ministers about that tariff and what it is that they think they can do to fight back against those tariffs. Donald Trump has said at the ec World Economic Forum that he doesn't need Canada, that he has his own resources for his own for metals, for oil, for wood, for building cars and promoting the auto industry in the United States, and that he has his own way of getting Europe to buy US oil instead of buying Canadian oil, and he has his own way to ensure that that Canada will not be able to sell anything unless they go along with his idea of becoming the fifty first state and become this super country between the US and Canada. I have to say that that's probably not likely to happen. But hey, he said it, he said what his things are. And like we said earlier, when he says he's going to do something, he just simply doesn't. So justin Trudeau flipped a switch in that he is is out of the era as Prime minister as of March first. He is tied up Parliament so that Parliament cannot be real have even as much as an emergency meeting to discuss on a whole what to do about these tariffs. And my basic opinion is okay, he says he doesn't need Canada. Canada should turn everything off Canada. Canadian people should stop going into the United States to purchase stuff that there's a lot of US border towns that will suffer just by simply doing that. Turn it all off, turn it off before before February first, turn it off before he does it, and hit them with tariffs for everything that they try to ship into this country. Maybe at thirty percent, so but there's a lot of debate along that, and there's a lot of debate as to what should actually happened because we have while we have thug Ford saying that, hey, that that may be the path they go, not exactly as I described it. He has a different way of different planing, a different way of discussing that. But do we have Premier Danielle Smith who doesn't want to do that. She wants to find a more diplomatic way of getting to Donald Trump and is getting him to see reason and not hit Canada with the towers and to stop talking about turning Canada into the fifty first state. She also says that Canada should go along with Donald Trump with NATO, as announced that mister Trump wants to increase the GDP spending of to five percent for defense in order to remain in NATO. And right now I believe that Canada is maybe at one and a half percent of that GDP and in a lot of respects calling the bluff on the United States with it, because Canada is the the Arctic defense country, not the United States. So why don't we hear with Justin Trudeau and his ministers had to say about mister Trump tariff and a strategy to protect Canada.
Speaker 2: Over the past number of years, we brought Canada's defense spending up from below one percent, where it was under the previous Conservative government, to a path towards full two percent in the coming years. We have close to tripled projected defense spending since twenty fifteen, and we're going to continue to work with our NATO partners to make sure that we're doing everything necessary to keep Canada safe. The next NATO meeting is in Netherlands in the Hague, but Canada has a strong track to invest in protecting the North, protecting Canadians in a complicated Canada. Monsieur Trumpemi are Boom, mikonamik narj Dahal Economy American Danisa erdre who re you s abour Boom economic Ivar was wining the plus energy plus the mine re min critics win the plus. These shows call the Canada attacked Selma Andre nu O poor fair plus uh Donald Trump umny the tariffs like Canada Jean as well, Premiers well kilcas as well a Premier who count see the shows.
Speaker 3: Who repond is Duisi and man.
Speaker 2: Savo, Augmarti cud Le Policy AMERQ don't s silver, Suliman Levan over our riports necessar neu on travai pour a love for Povo. I think he's amenque dos armand. Donald Trump has announced that he wants a golden age for the American economy. That means they're going to need more energy, more minerals, more steel and aluminum, more lumber, more concrete, more of the things that Canada is already sending them as a reliable and trustworthy partner. If he does move forward on tariffs on Canada, as he has said, whether at PM back on January twentieth or on February first, February fifteenth is a Valentine's Day present, or on April first, or whenever he says he's going to do it. As he keeps repeating, two things will happen. One Canada will have a strong robust response because we don't want this, but we will respond if necessary.
Speaker 3: And two, prices for.
Speaker 2: American consumers on just about everything will go up, and we don't think he wants that, so we're going to be there. He has talked about the border as being a great preoccupation for him. We have highlighted that less than one percent of illegal drugs coming into the United States. Less than one percent of migrants going into the United States come from Canada, but we're still investing over a billion dollars in strengthening our borders. And as an illustration of what we've been saying all along, Toronto Police and the Border Services Agency just seized about eight hundred and thirty five kilograms of cocaine coming in from the United States into Canada via Mexican cartels. So we have challenges at our border on both sides of the border, and we are there to work constructively with them on the position.
Speaker 4: Now it's the.
Speaker 5: Overs position now on all against all export tariffs and against dollar for dollar response.
Speaker 4: Who speaks for Canada visa Bee.
Speaker 2: The federal government has continued to say clearly, as I will, that everything is on the table, but our efforts are first and foremost to make sure that tariffs.
Speaker 3: Don't come on Canada.
Speaker 2: It would be bad for Canada, yes, but it would also be bad for American consumers, and that's why we are continuing to make the case that rather than restrict the goods coming from Canada, the US should be working even more with Canada on our energy, on our critical minerals on the goods that they need to be able to have the economic growth that Donald Trump has promised. That is our first choice. Next, if they do move forward on tariffs, we are ready to respond in a strong way, but in a way that will be stepping up gradually, with one goal not to figure out how to manage these trat harris and live with them over the long term, but to figure out how to get them removed as quickly as possible. And on that everything is on the table.
Speaker 3: Comes Shopper commodore buses.
Speaker 4: Getting more serious bout Canadas. Madame Smith did ibily premium. Yeah, it's scaring a movement confirmed.
Speaker 3: Before the p debut. Madam Smith, epert.
Speaker 2: Rampi the defund Albertine come to the primunists, defundl proparation, you're ani to money trends gantees come from Madame Smith.
Speaker 3: Is because Mandy Yeah.
Speaker 2: See escor Truvi de fac duty easy love, eperquer the petrol gas Canadian poor ve Poor rou sej Yaditariff Montame Madame Smith verb scd shows kelper Key, sre Mother poliss Key, Uncle Sam Fair plus male with Albertank and s Pasco.
Speaker 3: The debut.
Speaker 2: Focuses portuligion, not rep Plu, a cause is actually on the Donald Trumps one of the defund the Canada's no infaside job that defund al Bertani over to thus defund.
Speaker 4: That there's prac of fours.
Speaker 6: Wh is most of the cabinet lighting up behind your rival instead of you.
Speaker 7: Thank you for the question.
Speaker 8: And I'm really glad to be here today to be meeting with my CAUCUSS colleagues. I am so grateful to the colleagues who have been supporting me. I want to highlight I'm especially grateful to the people who bring the caucus together, do the hard work in.
Speaker 7: Our caucus, the workhorses of our caucus.
Speaker 8: I'm really glad to have the support of the current Ontario Caucus Chair Michael Catteau, the former Ontario COCCUS chair Jamie Maloney, the Quebec Caucus chair Stefan Looson, the chair of Women's Caucus Leah Taylor Roy. And for me, a huge emphasis is going to be reviving the party, reviving the grassroots of the party, reviving a real.
Speaker 7: Democratization process in the party.
Speaker 8: We can never again be in a position where the leader is the only person who decides who the leader is. And I think Liberal Party grass roots members and caucus need to have the greater say in what we do and how we do it. Jis be tell montfier de.
Speaker 4: We si poor.
Speaker 8: College to concuse a je pressI or nemo laprix cuge preciu two make coleggeous Paumin lamp portrance d'aprix cuge recus de jean quissant sieur Latin Quievrant, Luvre Travai for no cocus nentre party un remercieres Stefan Luzon, the president of Cocus de Quebec alexandremandez vite President la chean fort Commune, the president to concuse de Lantarrier Maputo Lancier, President the cocust the Lantario Jamie Maloney la President to concus deef m Ria Taylor Roy su sant LeJean Quievran, Louvre Travi donlo pocus quissantre respecte padulmont jevou sulner for panscravan on to q qui lamp portrance the process us during venmoret do not reparty on our beast. When Domremont equity, don't the militant liberal if dwarf avorevoi le depute dwarf avre bois for a setting from prior.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if you see, don't.
Speaker 8: Try so the okay, the compra comprix dp lelexi d President Trump becausett in change measure for as you need for lemont a poor Canada, and what the trea claire sam president quiet lucena je don the conre a qi r de Plantremont, Fremont radical ilvaux chang lemont I let as you need blue Canada are Tulett possibility, tulet possibility, the trouve in persons gagne do the memlu prosper may on thea in your tiffe the President Trump, as you say, partscrean premier fo cite d m one claire Mont new Volan create dance certitude vol are this invested more, don't listen repey new Volti to large, Dumont and Clement large and they can again can again all thet as you need SETI circle the President American U.
Speaker 4: No politique devon ferre.
Speaker 8: Areus just vi la person qui poulea fer just vi la person qui vale feer just vi la person qui.
Speaker 7: Pret a def le Canada.
Speaker 8: Pascal tell Montfierre, do not repay Maneyfiq on that de Canada.
Speaker 1: I hope so.
Speaker 9: But at the end of the day it's up to caucus members to decide that. I would certainly encourage my colleagues to wait for the race to get underway a little bit to know what everybody stands for and what we're putting forward.
Speaker 5: But what I can say is I'm getting calls.
Speaker 9: From people right across the country who are joining the party, sometimes for the first time or rejoining because they're excited about it about me running. So at the end of the day, it's one member, one vote, and my job is one of the candidates, like all of us, is to convince lover of members that we're the best person for the job.
Speaker 10: You see looks like a movement of the party establishment to make to run for mister Carney, and you seem to be getting a lot.
Speaker 5: Of the younger people.
Speaker 10: That kind of leaves missus Friedland out in cold, isn't that Well?
Speaker 9: Look, it's up to all of us to convince people that we're the right person for the job. And I have to say like, I am so boyed by the support that I'm getting from young people across the country.
Speaker 5: But Bob, it's not just young people.
Speaker 9: I'm hearing from people of every generation, every background to really feel hopeful about the fact that I'm running and feel hopeful for the first time about the future of the country in a long time.
Speaker 4: And that's something that makes me excited too.
Speaker 11: If you successful. One of your first being jobs been dealing with President Trump and Dados, who's talking about New Bernado swandon to go up to five percent of GDP and also saying of Canada wants to avoid tariffs, just become a state and they go away. How would you handle the Trump administration, especially with then DATO ass coming in now.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, Canada will never become the fifty first state of the United States. We are proud sovereign country and that's who we are, and there is no doubt in my mind that for every single Canadian that is first and foremost. And let me be very clear, our sovereignty is non negotiable and it will never be on the table when it comes to NATO. Okay, Well, the US is not at five percent either, So look, I think we are definitely in a world where we need to make sure that we have adequate defense spending. We are in a whole different geopolitical context than we were even five years ago, and so I think this is something that we're going to have to talk about as NATO members in terms of what that means.
Speaker 7: Canada still has a ways to go when it comes to getting to two percent.
Speaker 9: We've committed to doing that, but we also need to address some of the challenges in our armed forces.
Speaker 4: Look our calf personnel.
Speaker 9: They are not paid adequately and sufficiently, and that's one of the issues that we have when it comes to recruitment and what comes to retention.
Speaker 4: We also need to address our procurement.
Speaker 7: One of the things that I would do immediately is a point.
Speaker 9: Of procurements are because it takes too long for us to get the defense equipment that we need.
Speaker 4: And then, of course we have to have a conversation with.
Speaker 9: Our allies about what our Western defense alliance looks like in the face of what are more aggressive actors around the world. So these are things that we absolutely have to be talking about, and I think it's really important for our military personnel to know that if I was the leader of the Liberal Party, if I was the prime minister, that I would have their backs because they've had our backs.
Speaker 7: Monsieur thank.
Speaker 4: Mister trump vol come on.
Speaker 3: A thank, Paul.
Speaker 4: Le cana.
Speaker 12: May Susan don Monde de ferrand le man politique, maman yeah, suit neir no pro farse, army lease seeker not personnel militaire les salas a decott. They earned a pure problem contre at neer not Personnelois Vermont, cam Newt procurement.
Speaker 4: Mercy do not.
Speaker 12: Aquip, militarirek shows called Ramont suit near no false army may or see protege Canada in alliance depe the lost as fast le manasque.
Speaker 13: Confront Miss Freeland came out today and said that the next Liberal leader caucus should have the ability to initiate a leadership review to replace the leader, so the situation that happened with Justin Trudeau doesn't happen again.
Speaker 3: What do you make of that idea?
Speaker 9: Well, look, the Michael Changville is something that carcass decides. When we were elected in twenty fifteen, that was something that caucus children. That's one of the requirements after an election. And you know, I'm not going to make a pronouncement one way or the other, because at the end of the day, that is a caucus decision.
Speaker 7: I've elected one.
Speaker 9: You've talked about the GSD continuing that break on it for certain items, why not keep it for all items on the list and currently for the government calias, because I'm not sure that we need a permanent GST cut on Christmas trees and Hanica bushes. By the way, so I don't actually know that many people that have Honica bushes, But what I can say is that on these yeah, But what I can say is that for parents, you gotta buy diapers, you gotta buy food, you gotta buy children's clothing, and those are big expenses for people, and that's why I would make that permanent.
Speaker 5: Okay, now, thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, good to see all of you.
Speaker 14: Some fill So, first and foremost, our engagement with the US continues. I had a thirty minute conversation with the new confirmed Secretary of State, Marco Rubio yesterday night.
Speaker 4: We spoke about our bilateral relationship.
Speaker 14: Of course, I raised the threat of tariffs against Canada, and I made the case not only to defend Canadian jobs, but to clearly say that this would have an impact that would be hurting Americans themselves. We will participate in the process that is highlighted in the executive order that was signed by President Trump on Monday, and we both agreed on meeting next week. So I'll be heading to Washington next week to meet with Marco Rubio and to further the conversations. Of course, in that context of that meeting next week and that trip next week, I will be meeting other key Republican senators.
Speaker 4: This will be my fifth visit to the US and meeting.
Speaker 7: The Trump administration since the elections. So the work continues.
Speaker 14: Justin Francis is American per suis j. Yeah, Premier rappel Avec nuvo American Marco j. Look what they sound because pard avec le zou sulvi, not la manas the tariff control Canada.
Speaker 3: Zoo.
Speaker 14: She defound the not gos g fate. This impact certain mass xample. The name is frem dumal all the American U cigan MA and the parts process US, the k K, Trump, Lloyds, Derni e pri and stran Las, Prussian, Dontjeria, Washington NASM.
Speaker 5: Some fatis wondering what you make of the split among premiers who disagree with the federal government's strategy. Smith and mo who speaks for Canada and all of this. Are you concerned that now you have two provinces pretty much offside.
Speaker 14: Well, I think it is a moment of unity. I think Canadians have no time for partisanship right now. They just want us to be united. They just want us to make sure that we are there to defend Canadian jobs. There's a lot of anxiety out there, there's a lot of fear, and so it is time for political leaders. May you be NDP, may you be conservative, may you be liberal or block to work as one. And I think that when it when it comes also to some premiers what I've seen based on my conversations with them, then we want to be constructive. We understand that Alberta jobs are important, as on terror jobs, as Quebec jobs.
Speaker 4: It's not a competition.
Speaker 14: We can all work together to make sure that ultimately we face together this existential threat.
Speaker 7: Against our economy and against workers.
Speaker 5: Our Americans confused by the mixed messages that they're getting from Canada.
Speaker 14: What I'm seeing in Washington is that not a lot of people are aware of tariffs and can eat in tariffs in particular. I think that, you know, we think a lot about the US, the US doesn't think necessarily about Canada that much. And a lot of things are happening right now in Washington. President Trump is signing many, many different executive orders. Lots of things are still in transition. The Secretary of Commerce is not even confirmed yet. The only member of the administration that is working on this file that has been confirmed is Marco Rubio, and so will be continued to work with.
Speaker 10: When you mentioned that if he hit us with terrorist we're going to respond and it's going to affect US consumers.
Speaker 14: Well, he understands that not only this will have an impact on Americans, but this will have an impact on how the US engaged in the world, and that will have.
Speaker 4: An impact geopolitically.
Speaker 14: He's the Secretary of State, He's in charge of having lots of relations with many countries around the world. I also talked about the importance of standing up against China together, and Rubio himself has been very hawkish against China.
Speaker 4: So I think that we have a.
Speaker 14: Good interlocutor to be able at least to talk to and to be constructive with That's my job as the top diplomat in the country to make sure that I create these relationships.
Speaker 4: And we now have a process and the process is.
Speaker 7: Clearly highlighted by the executive order. There will be lots of rhetoric.
Speaker 4: We will hear a lot of different versions coming from south of the border.
Speaker 7: We need to put our head down, we need to be united and we need to defend Indian.
Speaker 4: Sister man.
Speaker 3: A material review were.
Speaker 15: Partly the certain versa es your receptivity, the resting spite reson can app from.
Speaker 14: Uh marcro review it and the experience take part, the flaming.
Speaker 4: Like cat having this neff senator.
Speaker 14: Circle from myself, don't set in person, all the conversas ke per certain trust ubadna in Nepal a person dan quasi or see I don't motabi by CORECT three, the trava jevics kletnik.
Speaker 4: The concert.
Speaker 13: Already sale to you about Build twenty one.
Speaker 14: When when it comes to Bill twenty when I'll talk to you about my own position with my sport. Well, my job right now is to take care of the Canada US relationship. And when it comes to mister Carney, I have a lot of respect and I've endorsed him, and I've sent a clear message to my base and to my organizers and to.
Speaker 4: My volunteers to send a signal.
Speaker 14: But folks, I've told you I'm not running in the leadership campaign because I need to take care of the Canada US relationship. And trust me, this is taking full time of my agenda. And now when it comes to Bill twenty one to your question, no surprise, I'm against it. I've said that years ago when the legislation came up, and I've been also clear on it when it comes to the Supreme Court of Canada with you know, if the Supreme Court was going to hear the case, we would be intervening. And again they just said that they would be hearing the case, so no surprise, we will be intervening.
Speaker 4: On us. You see that.
Speaker 13: So many ministers lining up behind Marcarti and not your former deputy prime minister.
Speaker 14: You know, it was a difficult choice. I have a lot of respect for all three candidates. I thought that it was important because of the threat that we're facing when it comes to the US triffs, that we have somebody that has been able to weather big crisis such as the two dozen eight crisis and also the the Brexist crisis. It is not only dealing with Trump, it is also to have a vision for the economy, to support Canadian workers across the country and to protect likelihoods.
Speaker 4: And that's why he has gone.
Speaker 11: Freelom guided into Canada through the first NAFTA renegotiations and also was a finance minister for several years.
Speaker 3: Are you saying she doesn't have what it takes to.
Speaker 11: Guy Canada through the next new Trump administration and have a vision for the economy.
Speaker 14: I think she did a great job during Cosma, and I've had a lot of uh uh. You know, I have a lot of respect for my colleague Freelom, and I really hope that we can continue.
Speaker 4: To work together as we are all working on making sure that we can weather the storm that is coming from the west.
Speaker 16: You you come well, you know, you never know, there's still time, but you know you've got My mother always said you take one big decision at the time.
Speaker 4: So I took one last week not to run for the leadership.
Speaker 16: And then despite the fact Canadians, I've reached out and from across the nation and I was very Dutch organizer volunteers and colleagues. But you know what, I decided to stay to fight for Canadians, and yesterday was a good example. When you've seen with Amazon, if there's a time where we need to fight, to be strong, to send a strong message. My mission is an ambitious Canada, strong Canada. You know, we're going to get into a negotiation with our American friends and we need to show strength. We need to stand up for Canadians as we've done, like I've done yesterday with the CEO of Amazon Canada telling her how we were frustrated that we learned that in the news that they did not call the federal government nor the Premier of Quebec. And we're talking about one thousand, seven hundred jobs in Canada, seven sites, and I said, this is unacceptable. This is not the way to do business in Canada. And you know what, we need to have that kind of tone.
Speaker 1: This is a new world.
Speaker 16: When as the Problenistry said, when we're talking the President Trump, when I was at the Capital talking about the Golden Age in America, if it's good for the United States, should be good for Canada because we have integrated supply chain and as he said, they cannot be terrorists without consequences. They cannot be ter if without impact. There cannot be ter if without cost for the American consumers. So this is a week up call for Canada. Let's stand up, Let's have unity in the country, a strong voice. Let's go confident in the negotiation. The best way is to show force, to be strong and to give confidence the Canadian that we have what it takes to win in the twenty first century.
Speaker 4: Why are you endorsing mister Cardians.
Speaker 16: Well, listen, I have said last week, I made a big decision. This week is you make one big decision today. I've learned that from my mother. So the week is still the week is still early. But one thing that I will do is to fight for Canada. But at the same time, make sure that we put the interest of Quebec on front and center. The French languages that would have a debate, make sure that the interest of the prominence would be well represented. And at the same time, you know, you've seen every day we need to fight for Canada. And so that's what I'm going to be contributing.
Speaker 4: Finding him a French language coach.
Speaker 16: Uh listen, Uh, I speak pretty well French. I think I come from Shewinigan. You remember, remember I mean French is not it is certainly one of my fortes.
Speaker 4: So that's okay.
Speaker 16: In terms of French, well, well we'll be able to make sure that whoever hopefully he is running in the campaign, there's only one candidate to suggested that French was not a key defining which is a which is you know, very very concerning. I would say the French heritage, the Frankland would need to be front and center and if hiring to lead this country needs to.
Speaker 17: Be able to language.
Speaker 4: Coming come out campaign mostly.
Speaker 14: On France.
Speaker 16: Plasta said Campak, Local Quebec and Asa Plasma said compact. They found paper facts with less men. Yes, it's not called the zoo. They found certain money is interexctad w we seecret Quebec. It is interex Quebec plus, John said, compare.
Speaker 5: Stud a number.
Speaker 7: Trump says he doesn't need Canadian number and oil.
Speaker 5: What do you make of that?
Speaker 16: Well, you know what I take from when I was there and I was with governors, I was sitting with governors and the number of military leader. One thing is clear is that to achieve the ambition of the president. Canada is the indispensable partner when it comes to energy, when it comes to national resources, when it comes to integrated supply chain, you cannot change these supply chains over time. The President has a very clear agenda. He wants to get things quickly. He wants results. The best way to achieve results is to have partner to partner with Canada. We're not rivals, we're partner and and we're just not that nice neighbor of the North. We want to be the strategic partner of choice, and that's why we should. We will go in this negotiation with strength. We'll go there with confidence, and we have a lot to offer. So this is the way we should be. I just hope that Canada would be ambitious. That's what we need. We need more ambition. We have what it needs to succeed.
Speaker 3: Let's gather.
Speaker 16: You know, I'm always reminded by CEO CDR, which was the Ministry of Industry after the Second World War. H this was a wake up call for the nation at the time. This is that kind of work up call. Let's gather together, Let's build a country. Let's be mourning both faster, strategic, Let's get things done, and then we'll come in a position.
Speaker 13: We'll see you.
Speaker 18: Forever see Mini Mini Minion, No only fami extreme.
Speaker 3: Being a count stay the.
Speaker 18: Canada is it does in meaning or travai the prem now that no partner Mexican Lapla, the la front and visage plus small down the laboratire, who Kappa the determinate, do prick yourself? Okay, will you pick yourself and d yeh lachine on the said the nego siam tae lachine don't only only must says.
Speaker 19: It like, okay, don't trumpet for lind game in the typees you cortin go for links Canada act to make Seple come come over.
Speaker 3: I can so fiercely fa a repeta no Ma, I will have more no ma.
Speaker 18: To track me truly, card picate and a nouvella Misslass American Debut.
Speaker 3: It's money table, a sad case. You decided who you're going to support. What I've decided to do is to absolutely bear down on the border plan and to meet februarate single test that we have here domestically and k fourth coming from the United States pop. So that's what I'm really really focused on.
Speaker 11: Was the saying that for Canada to avoid the terriffs, that could just become the fifty first state, not even mentioning the border and his comments in the World Economic Forum and things stand now for Canada with Trump kind of like seemingly throwing out the pretense of the border security, we.
Speaker 3: Should take that seriously, but that's not serious. Thanks, Thanks everybody, Thanks everybody.
Speaker 9: Pods, are you not anywhere clarity from the US administration about the potential deadline for tariffs?
Speaker 17: As you know, we're working with the February first deadline, and we are also understanding that that report on continental Trade will come out around April first, So we are ready at all times with our transhes of counter tariffs should it be necessary. But as I've said, we need to think of this as a marathon, not a sprint, and we need to maintain an even and steady keel, and that's exactly what we will be doing.
Speaker 5: What kind of non teriff responses might Canada do?
Speaker 17: Think about defense spending and defense procurements. We know that it is extremely important to ensure that we are meeting the NATO targets, and that's exactly what we set out to do in the defense policy update this year. We know that it's important to continue to fortify Norad. That's why I announced when I was Defense Minister, forty billion dollars in defense spending.
Speaker 4: To fortify Nora. So that's just one example.
Speaker 17: There are others reinforcing the border where we've put down one point two billion dollars helicopters, drones and the like.
Speaker 5: So I'm really looked about in terms of reciprocal retaliation, but not through terrors.
Speaker 17: Again, it's a hypothetical right now.
Speaker 7: So currently your whole government's preoccupied.
Speaker 17: We are preoccupied, but we are waiting for the indication as to what the US approach would be. And I'll say there are numerous conversations that are occurring, including I'll be going down to the US soon to meet with my counterpart, and multiple ministers have done so, so the dialogue has started.
Speaker 5: What is what I'm saying, the five percent target that Trump today said NATO allies should reach, What do you make of that? Is that a realistic thing?
Speaker 17: Canada will be definitely considering those words, and we will continue to look at how we can accelerate defense spending and look at how we can accelerate the speed of defense procurements.
Speaker 5: To think definitely.
Speaker 4: No way Christmas.
Speaker 20: Mentor and mentor and so consider Comma is going to prove accelere and no defense la defense, so la deferance.
Speaker 4: The conversation, Mes.
Speaker 20: Homologue, Come the Altra Minisrae Dance Government and New voyanc Ilia book The Possibility of New Come Government Canadian cellar ree knows our privacy Man New Continue dack Cealaree, no pui or Frontier shows Matt and not the con jehon con Premier Ministraela, the Province Store and news a van Desida, The continue Continue d'arvois in process use pduer le Baria prevencea commercial.
Speaker 5: Are you enjoying in the leadership campaign? Everybody wants to done.
Speaker 4: I I appreciate the question.
Speaker 17: I'm very happy and excited to be here with all of our caucus colleagues and will very much be focusing on we need to come out of this liberal leadership with a strong caucus in place to fight the next election. That's the most important thing, because we know that what we're fighting for are programs that help families, that help children, that help the elderly vulnerable in our society. That's why I ran for public office.
Speaker 2: And that's what.
Speaker 4: Responsible.
Speaker 17: Actually, I'll just say that here we have for one of the reasons I run for the leadership is that we really need to focus on them the response to the United States right now, and you can see that the issue relating to internal trade, reducing barriers inside our own country to trade and commerce is fundamentally important, especially at this time, and the Prime Minister has charged me with that responsibility as Minister of Internal Trade, and so that's what I'm focusing on. That's a response to the global crisis that we are in the fact that all premiers and the federal government are at the table to have that conversation is fundamentally important. We're having an urgent meeting next week to hammer out some of the details relating to reducing interprovincial barriers to trade and commerce, and we will take it from there. The timeline is short.
Speaker 4: But the work is so important, so stay tuned on that.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 21: Come bulls Away said that I guess sponsibility you good, Ken lost the course, Supreme soup and also the set look for me at some point view but go on, Mike and Ages mos Celn and a sharp to go be the y three ask him in discus and either that court SuperM They isn't talking why that's en up?
Speaker 22: When I sugree he's said, I guess most it didn't don't mind that? Yeah, you mean while the boy who I did a course SuperM keeping if and if I'm not a fair if on even.
Speaker 4: The sea, I feel like shots.
Speaker 5: Who can't do that?
Speaker 22: Yeah to the can n this a fee three or that's what down snail our platform until they could just see love or make sure recas platform and that being done the que what is a Quebec? So I studied there was one at Quebec.
Speaker 3: Far post the Canada.
Speaker 4: Actually they go, you're gonna bring.
Speaker 22: I gonna Texas? The part that's.
Speaker 3: A loss of plans like what come on the shows one.
Speaker 22: But time won't say yea, this shows like stive the man probably would don't emotional special at the.
Speaker 23: Leg of the bars better it's social and unless your income leap down the up's leg, so that what there is secure.
Speaker 24: League shatter becomes signage or a pum study the.
Speaker 25: Only pack of kind of an only count doesn't wanted about the counsy the just good it can't it vida all the turn their own on in the gend media. Had it come really that the justice the LDIA six, So take your name that shaking and gen I came up.
Speaker 26: That is theonder act of extreme like Spotibar town happened, say extremely important sitting in this kind of town.
Speaker 3: Do it's a kind of equity year.
Speaker 26: It's gonna a pre semat and take your around audience there on the cool supreme or the too deep for regular situation because the commentry bounce and the accused you repeace Los cavo.
Speaker 6: Cross prem to Canada, unce allah coming a mount to Canada in.
Speaker 4: Situation and prest public people.
Speaker 27: Quemen is a plan near Canton law provincial man now love client commoncial would cross superiors.
Speaker 3: Many Wood was.
Speaker 4: Like because many.
Speaker 7: Wood was.
Speaker 26: Secret Los Ca SIV.
Speaker 6: And the course Supreme Canada lost the kill you run.
Speaker 26: Audience conson taluted project in conversation on provincials, case on nationals, the test for leave to appeal, say effect on the Apple towns, Nationals c c D, the case on the Appleton and term national sitting conversation national before enter emplicate come give them do Canada Adian like decision what the education also the sharp issually so egality, expeccial, redigial, keep infocy, empathy truly can then never to get caught.
Speaker 3: The disciplined.
Speaker 4: Just have no excuse. They truly counts.
Speaker 24: And if it's part liber Canada, purpose that come the dam venue and fooks us escape, which.
Speaker 26: Is it's because became just in minister justicic Procusional means just being liberal the party liberals and creates the constitution, love to creep and part the party liberal to the level they found the constitution sharp Canada, don't you presume and nap chiff departing liberal to Canada, but continuit not that come impact or they found a protegy the Canada to see the legality religion especial Yes, just can you.
Speaker 5: Clarify English though, when the federal government intervenes, what are the arguments that you want to see it bring there?
Speaker 4: Is it only on the use of the notwithstanding clause?
Speaker 5: Are you going to argue the basis that the secularism law itself is unconstitutional?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So I'm not going to sort of lay out right here now to the nature of what are.
Speaker 7: Factor and your legal arguments. I want the gist of what you're saying to the court and the country.
Speaker 6: And what I will say to you and to the country through you is that I'll say now what I've said all along, which is that when you get to the level of the Supreme Court of Canada and they're granting leave to appeal, what that means is that they think this is a matter of national importance. When it's a matter of national importance and there's a national conversation about interpreting Charter rates that will have an impact right around the country. We're going to be there, and what we're going to do when we're there is we're going to defend the Charter that we helped create over forty years ago. That includes giving a fulsome interpretation to rights that relate to equality, rights that that relate to expression, rates that relate to religion. It's very important to be there because now we're having a case that's going to impact all Canadians.
Speaker 4: Well, you said that the.
Speaker 5: Escape clause shouldn't override those particular rights.
Speaker 8: What else? What else?
Speaker 6: CEEU is that what we've already said in Parliament in many ocations, is that we have significant mencers I the Prime Minister or Cabinet, our government has concerns about the preemptive use of the.
Speaker 3: Normal standing clause.
Speaker 6: The idea about a dialogue between Parliament and the courts has existed for a long time in terms of jurisprudence and in law. Professor Hogg talked about it at length before he passed. What we're doing by participating in that court process that will take place just down the street is participating in this dialogue, and I think it's important for a number of reasons, because there are other people who would presume to take the highest levels of power in this country, who spend most of their time attacking that court and undermine right.
Speaker 5: And is the escape line by you right not argue that the day claus should not override those equality rights.
Speaker 6: That you just We're going to talk about the important rights under the Charter, the rights of equality, the rights of religion, fuel of religion, freedom especially, we're talking about how they should be interpreted in the context of the usage.
Speaker 28: Christopher Freeland is the best person to take on Donald Trump. She's a fierce defender of Canada. She left a lucrative job in New York to come and fight a contested nomination and then ran in a really hard by election and won, and she's won every election since. And I really think it's important to understand Caucus and look, we need a leader who can hit the ground running on day one.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.