Speaker 1: Welcome to Seen Girl Talking, Girl Talk.
Speaker 2: I'm seuzy Coda, I'm praving Coda.
Speaker 1: And this week we're talking about Stranger Things season three, episodes four kind of but five Thrade.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have to say, this is my favorite season of the show so far.
Speaker 1: I knew I had watched this season previously, but it was like three or four years ago, and I mostly remembered them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did not remember the secret room or the secret elevator. I did not. I remembered a lot of the newsroom stuff because I was like frustrated.
Speaker 2: I hate all these dudes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean that sort of side plot is gone by episode four because spoiler alert, everyone has died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna be heavy spoilers for season three of Stranger Things, and uh, weirdly heavy spoilers for the movie The Apartment. Just kidding, We're not gonna talk about that. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Also, Frank. When Frank got here, I was finishing the season because you know, I wanted to be fresh. And we see a demo.
Speaker 2: Dog demo gorgan.
Speaker 1: Is it am gorgan or.
Speaker 2: The demo dog has become Demagorgans?
Speaker 1: Okay, and Frank was like, damn, she's dummy thick, and I was like, Frank, go on, she's a murderer.
Speaker 2: It's not her fault. She's basically an animal.
Speaker 1: Frank said, the sweetest fruit is forbidden.
Speaker 2: Carl.
Speaker 3: I'm trying, gird on, I'm trying to to sneak, but I'm dummy thick and the slap of my ass's a learner in the cards, probably the second best fan uh fan quote to come out of a series, next to Commander Shepherd going report to the ship immediately, We'll bang okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, Frank, you need to give any context because a that references wild old and be so specific to video games.
Speaker 2: Sorry, So one of them is the first one is Meddle your solid, solid snake saying he's dummy thick and it's hard to sneak because of it. The other one is for Mass Effect, where Commander Shepherd says, report to the ship immediately, will bang okay, which is from this old web series, which what.
Speaker 1: Frank's saying is all of these references are roughly fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: Basically, yes, but you know, I still think that one's funny. The rest of that series did not age.
Speaker 1: Well, what series is it. I'm not even gonna say, oh, okay, is it that one with.
Speaker 2: No that's control all delete? That one really didn't age well.
Speaker 1: I think even at the time, it wasn't like good right.
Speaker 2: There's a whole plot line where one of the characters goes on a date and it turns out his date is overweight, and he's just like, oh, okay, I guess I'll just ride this out. Then they go back to her place and she takes off like a fat suit and she's just like, I just wanted to see if you are into me, and it's just like, ha ha, this is awful. And it's like it.
Speaker 1: Became in that scenario everyone's associopath.
Speaker 2: It became the like the thing of just like the author's self insert character is the most annoying person in the world. Like as Yazzi put it, like from zero punctuation and now fully ramblematic. I'm really dating myself with these I've been crying. But like as Yancey put it in his video about video game web comics, if this was your roommate, you'd be slamming his face in an addresser drawer of one hand while you search for a new apartment with the other like, that's how annoying he is. And then of course there's the girl who will become the self in certain main Cariagter's girlfriend, and that's exactly what happened control Delete, which then led to the miscarriage storyline, which led to loss dot.
Speaker 1: Jpeg, which led to a million Tumblr memes.
Speaker 2: Yes, so okay, but let's talk about stranger things where we're gonna actually be dealing with the faminal loss there too. Nice, Frank, thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you want to throw any other old references out?
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about No Country for Old Men? That's having a research? I mean, I think I mentioned this on like way too many episodes for how kind of irrelevant it is, But I've abandoned no.
Speaker 2: That there will be Blaye would be.
Speaker 1: No one's talking about No Country for Old Man except for me.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I think it's a superior movie till they will be blood. Just throwing that out there, but.
Speaker 1: I just think it's funny that I'm like, everyone's talking about it and You're like, wait, what really, And I was like, no, no, not really.
Speaker 2: What was talking about? Daniel Dale Louis is like, hey, guys, till you're retiring. Then he came back and we're like for a movie that didn't seem like it was worth coming back for.
Speaker 1: Wait which movie?
Speaker 2: I see? That's the thing. Well I find out, But like if you spend like Daniel Dandy, Lewis is also one of those people who is just like, I'm a method actor, which means I'm an asshole, an anemone. Oh yeah, what about who cares? Oh, his son's in it.
Speaker 1: That tells me everything.
Speaker 2: The son directed it, so I guess he's like, Dad, my movie's not gonna be good while you already He's like all right.
Speaker 1: I mean like, look, if you're trying to get something made and you have an insanely talented and famous parent, why not use them? Although can you imagine trying to direct your own parent in something that sounds like a nightmare to me? Like, how are you going to get around the conversations of like, yeah, that's he was like good, but could you try it a different way? You're never going to say.
Speaker 2: That I raised you, I brought you into this woman, I could take you have it, Dad, come on.
Speaker 1: And then he'll be like I abandon my boy.
Speaker 2: My boy When I said that I sup wishing I could aband you. Thanks Dad, all right, rolling He's like, I am method speed action.
Speaker 1: I don't. I think it's the DP of photography that calls those things. But okay, moving on.
Speaker 2: Okay, So where we left off was Erica was going into the vents after she was bribed with a swashbuckler scoops a hoy, Frank put.
Speaker 1: Some respect on the SS butterscotch Sissy.
Speaker 2: I said last week, I wanted to eat, like eat the SS butter Scotch because it looked delicious.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I feel like those waffle chips are innovative that make up the sales.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean yeah, like what a balance. I mean because you can just like snap them off and like dip your It's like basically like ice cream nachos exactly. So like this is what I was saying last week, where Erica's just like, really, you want me to put my leg on line for Reagan's America, But she eventually.
Speaker 1: Gets she does love capitalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's weird.
Speaker 1: Well Worshiper too that like different, uh sort of channels of information were limited the country was under Reaganomics. I mean, look at how much makeup everyone's wearing to the pool all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair. So we had so they are party that's going into the elevator and to find out the Russians is Robin, Steve, Dustin and Erica. They'll end up on an elevator that's just shotguns them all the way down, like so they don't know.
Speaker 1: That it's a room that moves. There's like a very uh sort of I feel like this happens in movies like Escape Room where they're like, what's the puzzle here and it's like, well, it's an elevator room. But I'm was a little bit shocked when that happened.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Sissy, it also just very recently happened and now you see me, Now you don't Rosamond Pike's character, who's supposed to be very intelligence, does not realize she's in a truck instead of an elevator.
Speaker 1: I feel like she's the type of person that would get uh like truly hypnotized on a magic.
Speaker 2: Show, but like you just gotta juggle your keys and she's like, oh where am I? Yeah? So anyway, do you think.
Speaker 1: They would have done that to her? Even if she didn't do crime.
Speaker 2: What like hypnotized her.
Speaker 1: Noake tricked her into thinking that she had gone into the desert.
Speaker 2: I mean, if if I was a magician like the The Full Horsemen and then the Eight Horsemen in this movie, I would be doing that shit all the time. To ever, when I knew, I think I would just.
Speaker 1: Be doing the thing where i'd fake limbs pop off.
Speaker 2: So you're that guy from Rosa Development. Yeah, and that's why you don't yell. That's why J Peterson, Yeah, J P. Peterson, And that's why you always leave a note. Oh no, Buster's good hand just flew off. So anyway, I had the thought, do you think that Ben Affleck is like a big dog where he has health complications due to being a big man. I mean he said being batman nearly killed him.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that answers that question. Moving forward, So Frank, I need to ask you what did you think of this Steve slash Robin almost but not really romance?
Speaker 2: I mean it made sense like, well, okay, so here's the thing. I'm ready hippie, like a good himbo like Steve needs an intelligent woman to keep him in line.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like it's really putting the burden on the woman in the relationship for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, here's the thing though.
Speaker 1: In the way Robin describes Stephen Klass, he sounds wild annoying.
Speaker 2: But yeah he was, but then he mature when he became mister Mom, as everybody in the fandom calls him, like the baby sitter, mister mom, you know. But the thing is, like, I don't like there's there's a difference between alte an oath, like in like a sitcom, like You're King of You're what's.
Speaker 1: His name, King of Queens, Kevin James.
Speaker 2: Thank you Kevin James, and King Queen's is an oath. He's unhelpful, he's annoying, sim yes, but he was better back in the day. Yeah, but like a himbo is is like better because he's trying his best, like is not very good, yeah, but like he'll like he at least can understand certain things. Yeah, he's somewhat competent, but then of course you have the like. Then the peak though, is the Clark Kent. The Clark Kent is everything a himbo is. He's hot, he's muscular, trump charming, I guess, Steve Kennedy charming, and he is also very respectful of women, but he's intelligent. Yeah, so that's the Clark Kent. That Clark Kent's the ultimate package. So I was like, but like I felt like they were on an even playing field. Like She's just like, look, I know you're like all these women are falling all over themselves for you. Your charms don't work on me, but I can understand you're just a pretty good guy. So just to get us to the point I really want to talk about regarding the relationship, they get end up trapped in the elevator for like eight hours. Eric's like, I need to go to Uncle Jack's party tomorrow. Well, I swear to God you people like and then like they figure out a way to like they start hearing people coming in, they sneak out by putting this.
Speaker 1: Well, first they hid on top of the elevator. The men come in unpack the shipment. Then as the men are driving away in those little golf carts, they're like almost miniature vans, but golf cart size. I love them. They're I would say, the width is smaller than a golf cart. But there is a lot of these little red van trams in this tunnel city that is within the Star Court Mall, and I feel like season three is where you really see that Netflix was all in on this series because there are so many more modes of transportation, so many more set pieces. The Star Court Mall looks amazing. Everything is in Neon. There is the Scoops Ahoy, which is where Steven Robin work. Then there's this inner sort of tron lit type tunnel village behind all that, as well as where they've opened the rift in the mall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're trying to figure out what's going on. They like find the communications place.
Speaker 1: I also like that they didn't try to explain how the ooze, like the turtles secret of the ooze canisters work into opening the rift. They're just part of the ray gun thing.
Speaker 2: It's just like we just have seemingly cans of acid everywhere. Like Zill does not like.
Speaker 1: The David Pumpkins skip from SNL, He just does not think it's funny. But I think it's so funny to say we're not can explain the internal logic. It's just part of it, and that's what they're doing here basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, uh, they are trying to find out what's going on. They they like Robin sees what's happening, and she's like, hey, guys, shave this out, and like it clicks for Steve and Dustin like, oh shit, the rift is opening up again, like things are about to get walk walk, Thing's about to get wild.
Speaker 1: And the other part is Dustin explains to Erica when they're trying to open the air events later, everything that's happened, and Erica's one question is my brother was there? And Dustin, I would say, logically, says is that I told you all of this stuff, so much of it based in like almost sci fi fantasy, and your only point of disbelief is that your brother was involved.
Speaker 2: And she's like, yes, I mean, sissy, if you found out that I had saved the.
Speaker 1: World, Like, I don't know, Frank, we both know that he secrets. Mister secret online girlfriend.
Speaker 2: My secret one, My secret digitimon online girlfriend is the you ate my tunament sandwich up like.
Speaker 1: I did that in front of you.
Speaker 2: I did not have to use some diffuse to steal your sandwich. And I did not lie.
Speaker 1: I didn't wait a decade to tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't argue with that.
Speaker 1: I did right in front of your face. No apologies, I know.
Speaker 2: I keep bringing out that you never bought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and guess one I never will because you kept your digitmon girlfriend the secret. Oh god, if your friend's digitmon girlfriend and you're listening, right, is it real? Teen girls talking at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: I was bringing up the fact that, like, there's a clip from they remade some new digitmon movies. Gotta catch them, moll di no digitmon, you get one.
Speaker 1: Gotta catch one digitmon.
Speaker 2: And I like, there it's Gobaman saying to his friend Matt, like, look, you don't know what any of these words mean. Okay, Well he's just saying, when you get married and have kids, I'll take care of your kids when you become a middle aged man, and I'll go to the sauna with you, like I'll be there through your entire life, and like that's that's if you ever want to know what the difference between Pokemon and digitmon is. Pokemon, I have two hundred pets Digitmon. I have one bff. So that's it. Anyway, So Steve and Robin get captured, Dustin and Erica are running around. Dustin points out that Erica is a giant nerd. She has a my little pony backpack, and she's like, I'm not nerved like you guys are.
Speaker 1: He does make the case for her possibly being a nerd, and I am so sorry. I know you just told me facts about digitmon, but my brain shut off and I didn't observe any of them. Hopefully there's not a quiz at the end of the podcast, because I feel like, I know you get one digitmal On and with pokemons, you have a lot of Pokemons. The more successful you are, the more pokemons. I did listen. Yeah, with my back brain, I'll give it.
Speaker 2: Like my brother and my brother and me brought up a good point that it's like hard to feed that many pokemones, especially because a lot of them just looked like dudes. Now, yeah, like okay, what like men look up mister mime on your phone? Is it? No, okay, I've seen him.
Speaker 1: I don't want that in my search history anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just amed be like, here you go, buddy, You're just a dude.
Speaker 1: Frank, You'll be so excited to know. And now I'm putting my phone down that the walk Card Dewey Cock story that I put on hold just came in. Frank did not believe me when I called him to be like, hey, do you know if it's streaming anywhere? And he was like, buy it. I'll buy it for you. And I was like, or I could get it for free from the library and then return it and no one has spent any money. And Frank was like, but my Cole just came in.
Speaker 2: What is it? We later, I'm feeling two weeks later, Oh my god, two weeks See the movie was made like two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: I thought you were saying that was a long time. I was like, nobody has evds anymore, but no.
Speaker 2: It just reminds me of back in finding that movie Finding Forrester, where.
Speaker 1: Like another timely reference.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Yeah, I feel good that I'm referencing things that aren't the normal bullshit I constantly reference.
Speaker 1: I thought you were gonna say, I'm happy I'm referencing things that are heated rivalry, which we're going to watch next week. And literally I would say that seventy eight percent of my feet is heated rivalry.
Speaker 2: But like, like Jamal, it's like, oh me, how popular could you? But books still be and like he goes a little library to try and to get it and he gets put on the wait list for like four weeks, like four months or something. It's just like, so, how long you wait? He's like, yeah, yeah, old.
Speaker 1: Man, I got a recommendation for Dungeon Walker Steve or something.
Speaker 2: Oh, Dungeon Crawler Carr.
Speaker 1: Yes, And because it's like a self published that got picked up, there is like two copies and I have a twenty five week wait on it. But I'm excited because I'm like, I think it's really fun when things happen organically like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's why I love the Martian.
Speaker 1: You know the other thing that came in that I am not excited about. And this is a teaser for stuff we're doing this spring Reminders of him. I am so embarrassed that I have to pick that up in front of my coworkers. Like, I love trash, but I also try to keep my love of trash a little bit separate from work, and it bleeds out all the time.
Speaker 2: I can't understand that. So so Robin and uh, Steve's getting the shit kicked out of him by the Russians.
Speaker 1: Oh, one more recommendation for a book that is embarrassing to pick up in front of your coworkers. But totally worth it. I read in Shitification by Cory doctor Ow about how like technology products, general marketing continues to get worse, the product gets worse while taking more data and things from us. But the front of that book is a poop emoji, and I was like, I have a little bit embarrassed to pick this up. But it was a really interesting read. So, Okay, Steve is getting beaten up. I didn't like this. I didn't like all of the insinuated possible torture.
Speaker 2: Hated that.
Speaker 1: Not a fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they get injected with truth zerum.
Speaker 1: That was funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it just makes like Robin and Steve turbo high and the Russians start realizing these people are just like they just seem to be teenagers.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, which is like kind of on right, Like they at this point they look like teens, so for them to keep saying who do you work for? And they're like, because this is the thing. So we'll find out in this episode of the next episode that the way that all of this happened was the mayor got approached. The mayor is shady and they were like, hey, lean on some of these Like the whole thing with the farms and the land like never comes up again. And so the mayor has cleared out an area around the mall by the different transformers of the power company. But the people who built the mall, presumably the people who built them all, are the same people trying to open the rift because they had to build this tunnel city under the mall. But they are really not being covert. Like Hawkins is a small town, there are going to be other busybodies, myself included, who are going to say, I wonder why there are men guarding the back of the mall with machine guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with Russian made guns.
Speaker 1: Well I can't like clock a gun, especially at a distance, but yeah, I would be like, what are they guarding a delivery of? Like we don't even see brand names in the mall. It's not like they have a high end shoe store or like a fancy purse store. They have old timey small town shoes store. The cap Yeah, they have a food court, so nobody noticed, no one who worked at Let me tell you, as a teen that has had when I had all those part time jobs, I knew exactly the places that I could go to hide to smoke cigarettes. So you're telling me none of the teams in that mall figured out smoking off of a loading dock.
Speaker 2: I called bullshit. So the mayor of Carrie el was the mayor and Hawkins does remind me a lot of Mayor Wilkins from season three of Buffy. Okay, but instead of him just getting rich off of the Russians, the Buffy mayor is just trying to turn to a giant monster to eat people.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess everybody has a dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so eventually Dustin Erica, is.
Speaker 1: He at least trying to become like a hot monster, like a demo dog. No, he becomes All of the Buffy monsters are kind of busted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I mean, see the thing is it that people say now chopped, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Freg's like, let me trot out of reference from twenty eleven. Frank's like ugly.
Speaker 2: So they do escape, they go they hide in Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: Okay again, I'm so sorry I keep interrupting you, but I like the thing I think is so funny about this show is they like will dip their toe into realism, but then they're like, Nope, can't do that for the plot. So Initially they are having full volume conversations in the movies and people were like and then people just stop shushing that, and they're like talking about nerd stuff and sneaking out and where did Steve and uh Robin go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like.
Speaker 1: Tangentially, there is a video going around the Broadway subredit right now where a man was at Mama Mea. He brought his niece to see Mama Mia. It's now being referred to as the Uncle video. And I know this is such inside baseball because like, unless you're into Broadway, this is probably not going to cross your dashboard. But the women behind him were singing along the entire time. So during the intermission he stood up and he's like, are you joking? You cannot sing during a Broadway show? And they were like, we were just singing along, and he was like, ah.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that John mulaney thing where his father turned around with the kids during Lion King. He goes, are you going to talk the entire time? Yeah? He's like, you know the way you talk to children?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, like it is wild because like, no matter how many times they tell us, turn your phone off, turn literally anything that makes noise off. Every single show I have been in, with the exception of Great Gatsby recently, it will be the most climactic moment. People will be professing their love to each other and someone's dang phone goes off, full volume, full ring tone. Then you get the pause where they think, can I get away with pretending it's not me? Nope, it's still going and it's so loud, and people a shouting to look at me. Now you get the rustling, the rustling, and the digging, the rustling and the digging, and by now people are starting to look, they're starting to disk. The best part is when that happens and then fucking happens again. It's like, have you learned nothing? Okay, so we're moving out of the movies. Steven Robin spent so much time sitting on the bathroom floor, like so much time, And at one point Robin goes the floor is discussing and I was like, Robin, you've been all up on that floor. You were lying on your back, your head.
Speaker 2: Touched the bottom floor. Yeah, and like that that is a very good point. But I do I love that scene so much.
Speaker 1: It's very huge. I just wish they were like in a dressing room or something. And I know the reason they had to get there was because they were looking at the twinkly lights and they sort of had an equilibrium issue and then they had to go through up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So like the scene, like they start playing not true for dare never, I never have I ever thank you, and they're like somebody should turns to Netflix show and they're like Steve starts talking that he's like no longer in love with Nancy Wheeler, He's in love with somebody else. I did like Robin goes Nancy Wheeler, she's such a press and he's just like remembering all the time. Nancy has just stone cold shot things over the last like year and a half.
Speaker 1: And like the other part is the Nancy that Robin knows is not going to have any resemblance to the Nancy that Steve knows because like a lot of stuff happened to them, Yeah, and character growth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then he's like, no, I'm in love with somebody else, and he of course starts describing describing Robin. And I love my Hawk's face through all of this because it's like it's like two conflicting emotions, Like she has to one break his heart and do something horrendously scary in small town America in the eighties.
Speaker 1: It reminds me so much of There's this point in My so called life where Delia dances with Ricky Vesquez at the dance Delia being the new girl, and she says to him like, Hey, I realize you know, I have a crush on you, and nothing's ever gonna happen. But Brian krackout of all people, like really hurt me of all people with me editorializing, And Ricky says, Delia, do you know how much easier my life would be if I could just like you too? And so like Ricky Vesquez by far the most redeemable character on the show is having this struggle with you know, being queer in the nineties in I believe they're in Connecticut, but like, it reminded me a lot of Maya well A Robin where she's like, I was obsessed with you, not because I wanted to be with you, I wanted to have what you had, and like that makes perfect sense, Like Steve Harrington.
Speaker 2: Lives a charmed light, yeah, and then like yeah, and I had to give it, you know, give it to Steve he handles it very well because he's just like they start talking about the girl she had a crush on, and he's like, you could do like her, Like she wanted to be a singer, and he's like, like she was always so pitchy, like in every talent show. And they start singing together, and like the relief that watches over Mayahawk's face is Robins. Yeah, yeah, well yeah, and it's just it's I love that scene, like I that.
Speaker 1: I remembered from my first watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like such a good scene, and you know, and then like Dustin and Erica show up and they like just start giggling and like, I know, we spent thirty minutes on just like the plot lane of these four. But honestly, like everybody else is just starting to kind of coalesque and not like a whole lot is happening. That differentiates the two well, because.
Speaker 1: The other thing is the demic Gorgon is back. It looks similar to the spidery demigorgan.
Speaker 2: This is the mind Flare.
Speaker 1: But it's like made of human bush. Yeah, how would you describe the makeup of the mind Flare?
Speaker 2: Okay, well we're gonna get into that I don't take quick trip to the bake sale. So the mind Flare is just a.
Speaker 1: Everyone I think also called the mind Flare dummy, thick, disrespectful.
Speaker 2: Susie, What is the point of me texting you individually away from our group chat if you're just gonna share my business on the podcast, I'm like, Mom and Susy are Mom and Dale don't need to know that I'm calling these monsters dummy thick. I'm gonna share this with my sister privately.
Speaker 1: But no, that is that in the world for our listeners. Frank, if you think the mind Flayer is dummy thick, right, it's a real team girl talk and Gmail the cop actually.
Speaker 2: You know if you have Broadway complaints, also right into real tea girl talk at gmail dot com. Yes, like, because I would say I would not. I would say audience is probably very musically inclined and I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love we love a theater nerd. Yeah. Can the mind Flayer also look like a Cuthulhu?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I showed you last week that the the mind flayors I love Cuthulhus are the original mind flayers from uh Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: So Nancy and Nancy and Jonathan find the rest of the kids. They're hunting them down because they think they're in danger. They all meet up at Hopper's cabin and they're like, they have Eleven trying to do her sensory deprivation thing to find the to find the to find Billy. Yeah, and she does, and we get treated to bits and pieces of Billy's past. This one day he spent with his mom on the on the beach, and then we see his horrendously abusive father and him standing up to him and also learning from him to become the monster he is now meeting Max and then moving to Hawkins. But this exposes where Eleven is to Billy, and he sends the mind Flayer to attack them. Well, I really.
Speaker 1: Feel like the mind flare was like ineffective atass Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong, Okay, Well, actually before that, we got a scene where people are like, well, if we can't find out where Billy is, and like Missus Driscoll is trying to get back, why don't we just release Missus Driscoll into the wild? Essentially, Yeah, So they go to the hospital, they get attacked by Nancy and Jonathan's co workers. The two of them fight them off and managed to kill them. But then they become goo and become a larger or smaller version of what the mind flaw will become. Elch like shows up and like just dices this thing throwing against the walls with her telekinesis.
Speaker 1: I love that they had the woman on the phone just like be so unawares of what was going on. But really and truly, at some point she must have when she was talking about that woman's cake and has she didn't want that woman over her house, she must have heard the something around.
Speaker 2: No, I mean it was on like the floor with the constructions on.
Speaker 1: It's the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once again we should we should do account of like every time, like every time we see a dank ass hospital like versus how many times we see like a hospital that looks like it should be. Yeah, where things are well lit, it's well staffed, like you can't move like for doctors and nurses and personnel.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so many dark hospitals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the people the the goo disappears into the sewer. They retreat to Hopper's cabin.
Speaker 1: There's so much of it at that point. Don't you think that it would like clog the sewers.
Speaker 2: I guess so, but I'm sure it can probably like mold itself compressed. Yeah, there's actually this really fun game called Carrion.
Speaker 1: You to post. Okay, this is story quality, not not grit. There's there's no nuts share is me.
Speaker 2: This is this really fun game called Carrion where you play as basically this goo monster. Okay, and like the whole you're just running around eating scientists and other people, and like it's it's super good. Like it's very short, but it's very good.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So anyway, they the rest of the people turn into goo and add to the mind flare. As I said eleven, I did love.
Speaker 1: The visual of when they're at the steel works and everyone's lined up and they're reminded me of is it like a Simpsons visual where people are taking an escalator to nowhere? Yes, and this is someone would step forward and be like, splat, now I'm goo splat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's on the episode with the monoail. Yeah, and Mark just like that's the last time in Springfield ever wasted money on a useless project. Well except for that escalator that went nowhere and the giant skyscraper made of obstacles, and also the giant magnifying glass which you see is igniting the skyscraper made of obstacles.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say Springfield is not good with money, but that's probably because Mayor Quinny is on the take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like one day I wanted to just take, like on a vacation or something. I want to sit down. I should somebody figured out how often like Springfield riots because it feels like the drama had their way to riot.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, they seem pretty pretty easy to ignite.
Speaker 2: So we get these are actual riots that I don't want to find out about the AI over here since the since in the Springfield have a propensity performing every mom's and rioting so much as considered running gag in the series. Yes, accurate, but there's no definitive official account on the number of riots.
Speaker 1: The one time AI was right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So they figure out the monsters coming to them, They prepare, which means giving Nancy a shotgun and letting her do her business like she is just blowing the hell out of this thing, but doesn't seem to be doing much. Yeah, L's powers are starting to malfunction essentially, and like she they blow off a piece of the mind flayer and it ends up biting l and they take her to a supermarket to fix her up. Yeah, and they're like, her powers are really starting to like not work.
Speaker 1: But do you think it's because of like mind flare venom?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think it might be, right, Like I don't know any other explanation for it, but that well, Like so they clean her up, and I really like Max coming in here and being like, this is how you fix this up. I know this. I'm a skateboarder.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there was also a really cute scene where Mike is trying to get some like a kit kat and he like the machine eats his money. He's like, come on, you suck machine. And you just see l like like nod her head and like shakes the machine and all this stuff comes loose. Yeah, and Lucas like this is like that's your Olive branch man. You're back in. Like Mike is like what, Yeah. So well, speaking of Lucas, Lucas sees all the fireworks at the supermarket decides to take them and use them as as weapons against the mind floor.
Speaker 1: Almost like dynamite. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they get back. They they get back to the mall. We get every like Elle starts freaking out because there's a piece of the mind flame in her leg. They have to be in a completely reasonable reason. Yeah, Like it's horrible, it's moving under her skin. Like, Yeah, Jonathan tries to cut out. She's like, I'll take care of it myself and uses her powers to rip it out extracted. Yeah, cut that uses her power to extracted. It goes crawling away. All a sudden, a big old boot comes in Hopp Hopper joys.
Speaker 1: The first time I saw that, I cried. I was very stressed out for these children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we.
Speaker 1: Totally forgot about the whole Alexi side plot. So the thing is, Hopper and Joe have gone to a farm. They check all of the farms that were pressured into selling by the mayor. At hess farm, they find two different scientists working on a generator. I believe this like Arrange schwartzen a or wannabee guy shows up and.
Speaker 2: Is I was gonna say opposite, like the T one thousand dude.
Speaker 1: Right Patrick John Patrick, John Patrick, And so they kidnap Alexi. Robert Patrick, Robert Patrick they're surviving scientists and he the T one thousand, is hunting them in the woods. They end up going to a seven to eleven. Alexi acquires a taste for slurfees, and Hopper steals a car from a citizen. I'm gonna say this, I don't think Hopper should be police chief. I'm just gonna say this.
Speaker 2: It don't worry, not a problem.
Speaker 1: So, uh, they bring him Alexi to a friend of Hopper's. How they're friends.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Who speaks Russian and lives in like a bunker in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Well he was in season two or season one. He's the like he's the guy that Jonathan and Nancy meet up with. Yes, and like he's just like you guys can take that room. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Yes, So he translates with the Alexi Alexi. It was going to escape, but Hopper says, like, if he comes back with no wounds on him, they will suspect him of having given away secrets.
Speaker 2: So they there's a whole scene where Alexi has a breakdown over our strawberry slushy and.
Speaker 4: And Hopper's is like, like, you just get out of here, very much like a like a horse. Then I didn't you get out of here?
Speaker 1: He basically Harry and Henderson's Alexi. So when Alexi explains that they are trying to open up the gate again, Hopper and Joyce make the connection that it's happening and in all likelihood their children are involved. So Alexi keeps talking about the keys.
Speaker 2: And there's a point where Hopper's friend is like, they said children, They don't know if you can't say it's your children, and Joyce is arcists. It's always arcists, and it truly is.
Speaker 1: So they start driving back. Hopper calls like whatever secret government entity dealt with like the meltdown of the gate last time. Joyce calls them back and he's like, no, for real, get your asses here. What's going on? So when they get to the fair, Joyce see Mike's mom and who's like, oh, hey, how are you because she and her husband are completely oblivious to everything happening.
Speaker 2: Again when they're going to the fair with their daughter, Holly.
Speaker 1: Sure, Frank, but like their kids have been vincing for a while, people.
Speaker 2: Are just wandering away from town, and like I think Holly sees the mind flare in the distance.
Speaker 1: Yes, because the mind flare is moving towards Joyce's house and points out to her mom, like the trees are moving, and she's like, don't look at the trees down, you look at the fireworks. And so then the t one thousand shows up at the fair. There is like a protracted chase scene between he and Hopper. Alexi wins a woody woodpecker, big Stuffy and is shot. And this is when they realize that they have to start moving towards the mall where they shut down the gate. All of the kids are moving towards the mall because they all met up. Dustin apologized for not being around the other crew, apologizes for not knowing where Dustin, Steve, and Robin were. And now they're making a plan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Hopper, Joyce and the nameless friend, I'm going to look up his name who. Dustin gives the code sign of bald eagle too over the walkie talkies. So Dustin and Robin, Dustin, Robin and Steve take the convertible out to where they were talking to Susie before because that gives them the best range to speak to them. Yeah, and like they need to get down there, turn these two keys like it's a nuclear code, and then they'll be able to turn off the key. Meanwhile, everybody's like, we're just gonna take lle get her far away from all here. But they head outside. Their car is not starting because the nission cable is gone, and then they just hear a car revving and Billy's just sitting in his souped up car and it's just like ready to like just destroy them in a moment's notice.
Speaker 1: It's funny because everyone else has gotten sucked into human goo to make up the mind Flare, but he is sort of like the human liaison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just like, I'm in the face of all this, So when the.
Speaker 1: Mind Flaer kills him later, it really feels petty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he was turning against the mind Flare. So the the mind Flare breaks into the mall. They can't escape because Steve's are because Billy's out there and like he's about to kind of run into like he's about to drive his car into the car fall the heroes and it all of a sudden, here comes Steve and Robin in the convertible. They take Billy's car out and then everybody's in the mall and becomes this big old fight against the mind Flare where everybody's just whipping fireworks at it and just whatever, they can't L his powers are not working at all anymore. She can't even move a can. Billy comes in and starts shrankling L, which is horrible. Yeah, and then she starts reminding him of his mother, and those memories snap him out of what's going on. And the mind like the mind Flare is going after L and he grabs its like mall basically and stops it. But then like other tentacles just start stabbing into him and it's just like he gets wrecked by this thing. So he hits the ground. He's dying.
Speaker 1: And like Max runs over. Yeah, he apologizes to her. Frank was like, see, it was all worth it, Billy apologists.
Speaker 2: I said the opposite. I want that to be known.
Speaker 1: It's true he did. Frank was like, whatever not regiemed burning hell.
Speaker 2: Steve's like, I'll make sure nobody runs at the pool. Yeah. But meanwhile, Hopper and Joyce have to do some subterfuge to get to the you know place to shut down the key the t one thousand guys shows up again. Hopper and him have a big old fight. Hopper ends up on the wrong side of the glass and he just gives Joyce the nod of like, close the gate. I know I'm gonna probably be out of here, but it's it's time. Writer is such a good actress. There is like there, okay, there is another moment I want to bring up. They're driving back and Hoppers like if you're still playing the move, like I get it, and She's just like, well, maybe we can discuss it over dinner on Friday, you know, wake me up at eight and he's like, a see the thing is like Elle, like's watching Miami Vice at ten, So I can't really say that. I just like that is so goddamn cute, Like Hopper, you're somewhat winning me back. Yeah, so they like she shuts down the gate and Hopper like this, you know, an explosion, Hopper's gone the the you know, American soldiers come in the conspiracy. Theorist name is Murray. He's like Americans where Americans I know where wearing uniforms. We're Americans. Can I just say when Ryan it was really cute and her Russian uniform okay. Ozzle reminded me of Tina Fey in the Muppet Movie with the Muppets in Crime or something Muppets Most Wanted, where she plays I think she also plays like a Russian like Gulog, like god and it's like the one of the evil Kermit the Frog. Oh my god, No, I have not seen that Muppet Movie's rule just throwing that out there. So they h like everybody is meeting up in the parking lot and you know, loved ones are hugging one another, and it's equally heartbreaking because l just shows up and she looks at Joyce and Joyce is like yeah, shakes her head and L starts crying and I'm like and then we get our outro. Everyone is like there's a new support. That Hawkins is a hell.
Speaker 1: It's like really sensationalized. It reminds me a lot of like sixty Minutes, Yeah, where they're like D and D is evil and makes all of the kids worship the devil.
Speaker 2: So and then like the Hawking the not the Hawkins the buyers are moving, which there's a brief mention of. But I was just like, what, yeah, well, I mean like we were just talking about.
Speaker 1: It, but even on like sixty sixty minutes, it's.
Speaker 6: Like, Also the buyers are leaving, people are like, what's the point of living here? If Joyce doesn't live in this town anymore? It's like, I mean, relatable, honestly fair.
Speaker 2: It's the only thing keeping the buyer's family has been keeping this town safe for the buyer's a Wheeler family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are they gonna do? I mean barely, the Wheeler family, the Wheeler kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you really want to live in the town with this jump? And it just cuts to being like I trust the government NonStop. He thenment, the government knows what's best. Please put more chemicals in my drinking water. And I don't mean like my control chemicals, I mean just allowing companies to dump chemicals in our drinking water. I'm kid, I'm a moron. I love the government. So, oh my god. So the buyers are leaving. They're packing up up the cabin the packing house, and Joyce finds is folding when of a hoppers shirts. Okay, but also sorry once again, Joyce is just like, so, I guess am I hired? He's like, what's like because they said called her to detective Buyers as a like Ruse at one point. Yeah, I'm just like, oh my god, Detective Buyers would be so good. Joyce would be a really good private eye.
Speaker 1: Like I agree, just like she really is no nonsense.
Speaker 2: Okay. So there's this character in and DC comic is called Elongated Man. He is a super stretchy guy, but he's also a detective okay. And he has this wife, Sue Didney, who everybody in like the DC universe loved, and then she got killed and he tried to resurrect her, but like it all went horribly wrong, like a pet cemetery basically, yeah, damn. And then like they both ended up ghost detectives. And I'm like, DC that that just prints money. Ralph and Sue Didney ghost detectives, come.
Speaker 1: On, come on, so.
Speaker 2: They she she's folding up one of Hopper's shirts. She finds the note that Hopper was supposed to read to the kids instead of just threatening Mike's grandma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Frank is pro threatening people's grandmas.
Speaker 2: I am absolutely no, I am absolutely not. Nana should be treasured. Yes, you're nana's, your grandma's, your ganges. Did nana call? What happened? To Nana, so she gives the note to eleven. Eleven starts reading it, and it's a very good performance by David Harbor.
Speaker 1: Well, kids read to us in Hopper's voice, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he's just like, I know you're growing up. I know you're gonna be things are changing, and I wish they wouldn't, but that's the nature of this whole thing. But please, you know, take mercy on your old dad and leave your door open three inches.
Speaker 1: And like, when they're there, I really feel like they did a good job of being like and this mayror is the worst, Like when he says to Hopper and don't give me any of that dead daughter soft story, and Hopper's like, I'm gonna kill you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna like, if you're lucky, I'll be the one coming for you. If you're unlucky, Joyce will be coming for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, so I forgot about the parallel of like Eleven is his daughter and he had that history of loss.
Speaker 2: Well, what I love is that there's no like because there's a lot of these shows and things will it'll be like, oh, you know, like I'm not gonna call you dad or your Hopper and like after a certain like which I understand, like you know, you like there's a transition period, but I do love that it was just like no, like Eleven's my kid, I'm her dad. That's that's where we're at. Yeah, so the buyers leave, you know, we get a lot of shots. There's a beautiful shot of Karen hugging Mike, who is Karen is Mike's mom? Because he comes home, he's clearly upset that Will's leaving. This isn't like this ending is full of great little moments like Will leaves behind all his D and D stuff and and Mike's like, what what are you gonna do if you want to play for another group? He's like, why would I want to play for another group? I'll be back and I'll just use your stuff. Yeah, And then they give Will's stuff to Erica, Dustin and Lucas do Yeah. And then there's just a lovely shot of Max sitting on her bed or possibly Billy's, which how does she explain what's happened? Like what happened to Billy?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean the way the rest of the cover up is explained. Yeah, that it was a chemical spill that exploded them all I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jonathan and Will are driving away, Will's crying, Eleven's in the truck with Joyce. And it did make me happy that Eleven was with Joyce, yeah, because I was like, she'll be well protected, because it's always ill for Eleven at the end of the East season. Yes, I'm just like, no, just let it be okay. So and that's where our season is.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Then there's a mid credit sequence where we cut to Russia and like they're like, we're in a prison and they're like, no, don't take the American take him, and we see a prisoner get fed to a demon demic organ. I'm like, all right, let's see what happens next season. I guess so. But that's season three of S.
Speaker 1: And my question when this happened was they let the demogorgan out of a little hatch. How do they get it back into the little hatch?
Speaker 2: Which is a good question which I was thinking about it while we're doing this episode. I think they probably bribe it with other meat, like and Ord just prefers the dark. Yeah, they might like maybe they have like UV lights. It's like, oh no, back in my little hole. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but yeah, although this facility did not seem that high tech. They had to drag this prisoner down no less than like a dozen flights of windy stairs.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that just did make me think about there's this. I saw a clip of this show called Henry Danger. Okay, and Henry Danger and this guy named Captain Mann are racing up some stairs and like then Captain Man gets the top of like one hundred and thirty three flights of stairs. He's like, he finds I has to go back down. He's like, I can't do it. I'm so tired. He's like, hey, wait a minute, I'm in vulnerable and what then cuts to like two minutes of him just falling down these stairs.
Speaker 5: Just let you just keep cutting different forms, and like, that's what I would do if I was infnible, to just launch myself down the stairs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get there faster.
Speaker 2: So next week we're doing the first half of episodes one, two, three of Heated Revelry. It's happening. I love the Mighty Duck movies. I love good romances. Seems right of my alley.
Speaker 1: Do you love the Cutting Edge?
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: It's an eighties movie about a hockey player who falls in love with an ice skater.
Speaker 2: I mean that's that probably has been remade a.
Speaker 1: Dozen times, the anime for.
Speaker 2: Ok No nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: So if you'd like to write us, you can write us at real Teengirl talk at gmail dot com. We have an Instagram account, The Frank Runs.
Speaker 2: I have another podcast I do with my buddy Donnie called I Hope I Can Make It through a bo the show Degrassi. I have a website called Friendclota dot com where I post my writings. I have a book for sale, a Heartbeat in the Darkness. It's a book of horror short stories. It's in the description down below.
Speaker 1: And until next week, I'm Suzy
Speaker 2: Coota, Frankcota, Jeamkota