Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's David Basse.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are back in ten and we've got a great pitching matchup tonight. As the Dodgers and Pirates get ready for Game one of this three game weekend series, we got the whole family in the booth. Rick Monday's kissing babies making dreams come true on the anniversary of him making the great play in American history saving the American flag.
Speaker 3: We will hear from Rick and Steven in just a moment.
Speaker 2: But your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers are now sixteen and nine and no, the sky is not falling. Even though they did not have a great road trip, which saw them win just two of the five, they're one game back of the Padres in the NLS and a half game back of the Giants, who are in second place. Tonight, like I mentioned, the Dodgers and Pirates are squaring off for the first of three games. It is Paul's Schemes for the Pirates and Yoshi Yamamoto for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Two of the.
Speaker 2: Best baseball has to offer coming up over the next hour on Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck we'll hear from Dodger manager Dave Roberts. Plus we'll preview this great pitching matchup. I'll go one on one with Sunday starter Tyler Glass now for the first time this season. So a lot to get to as we continue on this hour journey to first pitch between the Dodgers and Pirates. All the way back Wednesday in Chicago, it was a bullpen game for the Dodgers. It did not go as scripted. Ben Caspirius got the start. The young right hander was really good for two and two thirds shutout innings, and he allowed US one hit while striking out four.
Speaker 3: The Dodger offense gave Caspiraus a lead to work with.
Speaker 2: In the third inning, ta Oscar Hernandez delivered again with two outs.
Speaker 4: Ta Oscar with five homers, with five doubles, eighteen RBIs so far this season. He's trying to produce the first RBI the game. No scoring with two balls, two strikes. Here's the pitch and Tascar early, so nobody's hit to the field. Conferdo scores Barnes hustling home.
Speaker 3: The throw home is late.
Speaker 5: Ta Oscar Hernandez starts the party with a two run single.
Speaker 2: Ta Oscar Hernandez has been tremendous over the last year with runners in scoring position for the Dodgers, and he delivered again a two out, two run single put the Dodgers up two nothing. That lead did not last long because in the fourth inning, Harvard Westlake's own and now becoming a very big thorn in the Dodgers' side. Pete Crow Armstrong hit a three run home run and the Cubs took a three to two lead. In the top of the fifth, the Dodgers tied it up Mookie Betts with an RBI double and then the next batter, who was it? You guessed it, ta Oscar Hernandez, giving the Dodgers the.
Speaker 4: Lead, two out, two strike, two run single. In the third inning, he gave the Dodgers a two to nothing lead. It's now tied at three. Here's the pitch. Swinging a fly ball left field, hit well back toward the wall.
Speaker 3: It has gone.
Speaker 5: Title tays off and the Dodgers jumped back in front. Six to the season for Tioscar Hernandez, a two run shot. He has driven in four of the Dodger runs today.
Speaker 2: Two run homer for Tioscar Hernandez a four RBI game, and that was our top tier play of the game, brought to you by Arco Quality, top tier gas for less.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers had a five to three lead at that point, but it was short lived.
Speaker 2: The bottom of the fifth inning, the Cubs took advantage of a wild Jack Dryer, who walked the bases loaded with one out, then gave up a two run single and a sacrifice fly. It was a learning lesson for young Jack, and the Cubs scored four runs in that fifth inning and took a seven to five lead. The Dodgers got it close, it came up short seven to six, and that's as close as they would get. The Dodgers lose two out of five on the road trip, or three out of five on the road trip. They get swept in a two game series in Chicago, but they are home against the Pirates of Marlins a homestand to get healthy and for more on tonight's marquee matchup, Let's check in with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson for the first time.
Speaker 4: Guys, Thanks TV long toss from you to us down here in the front row of this booth, Rick Monday. But the Dodgers back home and gosh, I mean they have to be happy at least that's the way that the baseball has been reflected this year. The Dodgers ten and two here at Dodgers Stadium, and they're going off another losing road trip. There's six and seven away from LA this year.
Speaker 6: You know, I started to think about the road trip, just reflecting upon a little bit earlier today. They got some guys that did not have particularly good trips, and really over the last seven games, if you're looking at it, a lot of guys are down in the average. It is good to get home when you've had success, but you get that success by playing better baseball than what they played on the just completed road trip. And if we look at it, it's been expanded even before they went on that trip. I'm talking about cutoffs and relays. We didn't see that base running obviously, timely hits their opportunities. Yes, the Dodgers have had some injuries in their bullpen and also in the starting rotation, but this is a ball club that can play better, will play better, and no better time to do it tonight, because I tell you what, from both sides of the field, runs should be at a premium with this pitching matchup.
Speaker 4: Which you led me perfectly into my next point mode, This is the one that is being circled all around the major leagues. You know, m WIB network scrambling to add this to their showcase schedule as a national game outside of course the LA and Pittsburgh markets. That is because of what we have on the Mountain night, Yoshinobu Yamamoto against Paul Skeins. Yamamoto has continued his ascent into a status in the major leagues, and Paul Skeins is simply a phenomenon. I mean, it wasn't that long ago he was pitching LSU to a College World Series championship, and now many around the game are anointing him as the best pitcher in baseball already despite his inexperience. So that's what we get to watch tonight.
Speaker 6: Well, we'll talk about him a whole lot, but there's a lot to talk about too. In the same way with the Yama Moto, don't get lost in the shuffle. I mean, and for Yama Moto in particular against left handed batters, just a one thirty seven average. But again I go back to what the Dodgers are looking at. They need to get it in gear with again, get back to better approaches, and you need that tonight against the power pitcher that also can throw the slider. That slider can be devastating. So the Dodgers have some adjustments to make, including the way that they played defense or lack thereof on the recently completed road trip.
Speaker 4: Skeens is an Orange County kid. He actually grew up an Angel fan and grew up a fan of Shohey Otani is called Otani an inspiration in many ways. They went at it last year. Otani struck out the first time and then took Skeen's dead Central in Pittsburgh Park. So we'll get another square face off of phenoms tonight here at Dodgers Stadium'm gonna dive more into show Hey Otani's recent struggles DV next time we chat with you.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks, guys.
Speaker 2: We're having fun in the gallupin Motors Broadcast booth as we count you down to first pitch.
Speaker 3: Dodger fans, I want to remind.
Speaker 2: You get your game day meal at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. Order your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and mojos now at Shaky's dot com. As we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: Plus we'll check in with Tyler Glass.
Speaker 2: Now we got the Otani rewind things have not been great to relive, but he's the goat, so we'll see how it goes tonight here against Paul s Keenes and the Pirates. First pitch coming up at seven to ten from Dodgers Stadium. I'm David Vasse, and this is the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Its Lorongo Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 3: Y'all on the isial home of.
Speaker 1: La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Pirates, Yamamoto versus Schemes. We're getting set for first pitch at Dodgers Stadium at sevent ten.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani.
Speaker 3: Three wide.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been a struggle of late for Otani, who has just won for his last eleven since coming off the paternity list.
Speaker 3: On Wednesday.
Speaker 2: He only had a single in the third inning. He had a golden opportunity with two runners on, but popped up in the infield, like I mentioned, one for eleven with five strikeouts. Dave Roberts has said, Otani just seems over anxious. We'll see how I ferris against one of the best in baseball and Paul schemes. But Otani is one of the best as well. You gotta respect that.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: It is time for Kirston Watson in Los Angeles, brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call one eight seven seven Cars for Kids Now. Friendly agents are standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K to donate your car today. All right, Kirsten, The Dodgers are back in LA and what an exciting day here at Dodgers Stadium. Paul Skeins against Yama Moto. You got to be excited too, you got a front row seat.
Speaker 8: I am honestly thrilled. I think first, Yoshinovo has been having the best season thus far, and so to be able to see him go toe to toe with Paul Skeins, who's also been off to a fantastic start coming off of winning Rookie of the Year for the National League. So for these two guys to be going against each other for the conversation of the cy Young for the National League. What are we in April still? But just that we're having this conversation right now and seeing this matchup, I think it's gonna be awesome. Get your popcorn ready and see what happens.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like that you're back in LA. How did you enjoy the road trip?
Speaker 8: Well, I think I had enjoined Texas more than Chicago. But I also feel like we brought Chicago weather with us back to LA. It's a bit cloudy here. It might be a little bit, might be a little rainy tomorrow. But anytime we're back here at Dodger Stadium, you can just feel the energy here. Tonight should be interesting. It's date night here at Dodger Stadium. Yes, I hope you told your wife to come because it's date night.
Speaker 3: He actually is coming tonight.
Speaker 8: Just look at that you're on it. Then, Wanderado, who is on the PR side for the Dodgers, tried to convince me though it's for singles for people to meet as if.
Speaker 3: I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 8: Maybe Dodger Stadium dating show, which maybe we could pitch, could be awesome, but it's actually not. It is just couples will be here. We'll see what happens, but it should be a fun one for the dates.
Speaker 3: What are the Dodgers given away for that date night?
Speaker 9: Do you?
Speaker 3: What would you give away? Well?
Speaker 8: I think it's a blanket, which is actually perfect for tonight. What would I give away for date night?
Speaker 3: A Blanket's nice? That's nice touch.
Speaker 8: I think that's like perfect. To be honest, I don't know. I we'll have to think about that. Maybe a drink coupon. That's what I think I would give away.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 7: I like that.
Speaker 3: Would you ever host a date night at Dodger Stadium?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, but I think I should host singles and then they can meet each other like a mixer, a Dodger Stadium mixer.
Speaker 3: I should host that centerfield plaza.
Speaker 8: Absolutely yes. It'll be like the Bachelor style, and then it would have even cooler if we had some of the guys like they get to like vote on like the relationship, I'd be like, no, we don't know if we like him, yeah, he can stay like that would be I think this would be a great show. We should probably pitch this.
Speaker 3: I think it sounds better than the hat Shuffle.
Speaker 8: I think it does you'll see me go all of a sudden for an ending. I'll just go up there and we can have like I don't know, I had to think about the vision more. But I'm seeing singles and bringing people together at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 7: Love it.
Speaker 3: We just brought people together right now here there it is. Thanks Kirsten. We'll see on Sports in La tonight.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: As always should be fun. Dodgers pirates, Paul Skens and Yamamoto and Austin Barnes loves that idea. Maybe he'll bring his wife to date night.
Speaker 3: Still to come.
Speaker 2: Here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll preview this pitching matchup Big One tonight and I'll go one on one with Tyler Glasnow who is back and pitching on Sunday. A lot more to come here from Dodgers Stadium, Yamamoto and Paul Skeens.
Speaker 3: At seven ten, I'm.
Speaker 2: David Vase and this is the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Casino Dodgers hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Tito Cruz is in the house.
Speaker 2: Dodgers are back in La kicking it off with a great matchup between Yamamoto and Paul Skeen's Dodgers and Pirates coming up at seven ten Wrongo Casino Resorting Spa a Grand Slam for good times.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: This Dodger Report presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles dodg Well. Will Smith's back in the Dodgers starting lineup after kind of twisting his left wrist awkwardly in the sixth inning of Tuesday night's game.
Speaker 3: On a play at the play tagging out ian Halp.
Speaker 2: Will told me yesterday was the day that he knew he could be in the lineup today. The Dodgers played it smart, giving him Wednesday off with the off day yesterday. It worked out well, and he said, actually, the thing that hurt him the.
Speaker 3: Most was just trying to wash his right arm.
Speaker 2: Nothing else really hurt, but that was the one movement that affected him. Also had a chance to talk to Blake Snell. We'll get into it more, but the Dodgers are shutting down his throwing program and are going to give him a quarter zone injection hoping to free up that left shoulder. I got also good news about Tony Gonsolin coming up.
Speaker 3: Later as well.
Speaker 2: But now let's check in with the Dodger manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 7: Questions for day, Dave, can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 10: In the dugouts with Dave Robberts, Well, I think what excites me is there are two of the better pitchers in the big leagues, so that matchup alone is exciting. I think with Yoshinobu, it's something where he's mindful of getting better each time out, but there's different gears that he's shown to kind of turn to or go to on a specific outing, and so it'll be interesting to see, you know, what he has in store for us tonight.
Speaker 2: I actually talked to a hero, Yamamoto's right hand man, his interpreter, and he told me that Yamamoto's not even thinking about Paul Skeins.
Speaker 3: He just has that much confidence.
Speaker 2: When we continue a Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll get to our Dodger Insiders segment, leading you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Pirates, first pitch at seven Tens games and Yama Moto David vasse with you live from Dodgers Stadium on the world champion Dodgers.
Speaker 3: How do the own network?
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on deck, not your home for the Blue all season.
Speaker 2: Low David Basse live at Dodgers Stadium, pumped up for this pitching matchup. The first game of a six game homestand for the Dodgers kicks off with Yama Moto against Paul Skeens tonight. First pitch coming up at seven ten. We'll touch base with Tyler Glass now in a moment. But first, our Dodger Insider segment, brought to you by Ford. If there's one thing we like, it's choices. Find yours with the Ford F one fifty gas hybrid or all electric tough This smart can only be called F one fifty, all right.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts talk to the media about blake Snell.
Speaker 2: He said, officially, they're going to shut Snail's throwing program.
Speaker 3: Down for now.
Speaker 2: But I had a chance to talk to Blakesnell earlier today. He is not concerned about this. He had an MRI taken yesterday. It showed no more structural damage, if anything, than it showed the first time when he went on the injured list. So the MRI came back clean. He just has tightness in his shoulder and pitched with it for the first couple of weeks of spring training and into the first two starts of the regular season. A quarter zone injection is probably going to free that shoulder up, get rid of the inflammation, and then he'll be off and running with The Dodgers don't want to happen with blake Snell is for him to come back and then have to return on the il because they rushed it or he's trying to force it.
Speaker 3: That's not what's happening here.
Speaker 2: The Giants forced Blakesnell last year because of necessity. This year, the Dodgers have the luxury and understand the big picture of October.
Speaker 3: So Blake'snell going to.
Speaker 2: Get a quarter zone injection in that left shoulder when he returns. There will be no looking back for the two time Cy Young Award winner. Celebrate ninety years of horse racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. Don't miss the biggest derby party west of Kentucky, Mother's Day dining and free Fridays with drink specials go to Santa Anita.
Speaker 3: Dot com slash Events.
Speaker 2: As we continue here live from Dodgers Stadium, we'll check in with Tyler Glass now he's starting Sunday against the Pirates. Tonight, we got Yamamoto and Skeens coming up at seven ten on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: TIS we were.
Speaker 1: Saying yes is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium, as we are taking you up to first pitch tonight at seven ten Dodgers and Pirates, the first of three games. And it's a dandy the Yamamoto against Paul Skeins.
Speaker 9: Do here.
Speaker 3: How about that hot dog who wants.
Speaker 1: A hot cob. It's time for the Hawfing Magical Moment Bitch Magical presented by Hawvey Hot Dogs.
Speaker 3: Well, the man standing right behind me right now.
Speaker 2: April twenty fifth, nineteen seventy six, Dodgers hosting the Chicago Cubs and number seven was playing center field.
Speaker 3: His name was Rick Monday.
Speaker 2: During the game, two protesters ran onto the field and attempted to set flyer to the American flag. Rick Monday, then playing for the Cubs, ran over from his position in center field and snatched the flag before it could be lit on fire.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure what he's doing out there. It looks like he's gonna burn a flag.
Speaker 11: And Rick Monday runs.
Speaker 9: Then takes it away from him. And on Monday, I think a guy was gonna set fire to the American flague. Can you imagine that?
Speaker 11: Well, they got to lose him in Ahri and.
Speaker 9: Monday when he realized what he was gonna do, Ray schober And took the flag away from him. For this guy, I was gonna try and perform the indignity of shutting fire to the American flag. And Rick, we'll get an ovation and properly show.
Speaker 3: So great to hear.
Speaker 2: Vince Scully on the call perfectly described it and certainly celebrated a kid from Santa Monica who grew up a Dodger Finn in the very next year would be playing for the Dodgers in nineteen seventy seven. This Hafey magical moment was brought to you by Haffy hot Dogs, Hafy so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Haffy hot Dogs Local and so Great well, when we continue, you'll hear from that American hero Rick Monday. He joins us next as we lead you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Pirates. I'm David Van Say and this is the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino, Dodgers On, Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: David Bassey live at Dodgers Stadium, getting your set for Yamamoto against Paul Schemes, Dodgers and Pirates, the first of three games coming up at seven to ten. Join me and millions of other baseball fans in playing daily fantasy sports at Price Picks. Download the free Price Picks app and sign up using the code blue to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. That's go blue when you sign up at Price Picks. It's so easy to play. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to win up to two thousand dollars or two thousand times your cash. Whether it's strikeouts, RBIs more or less at Price Picks.
Speaker 3: Join me in playing. Use the code go blue when you sign up.
Speaker 2: Here are my two picks today, Yamamota more or less, I'm going more than.
Speaker 3: Half a strikeout by a lot. Same with Skeens.
Speaker 2: I'm going with more than four and a half strikeouts tonight again. Sign up and play daily Fantasy sports at Price Picks with Tim Kats during the season. Use the code go Blue and get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars.
Speaker 3: Lineup Price Picks, run your game.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Basseying, Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 2: Forty nine years ago, our very own Rick Monday made a great play in center field saving the American flag while play for the Chicago Cubs. And I think you already knew it was the anniversary, but people don't have to remind you.
Speaker 6: Well, it's something I reflect upon. Yeah, people reminded me of it to morning, especially those on the East coast realizing that hey, it's three hours earlier on the West coast. But it's something, David, that it is right there. Someone asked me a long time ago. He said, you know, you were fortunate to play nineteen years at the Big league level and playing World Series in a World Championship in eighty one, and they asked me and said, well, does it bother you that maybe you're going to be better known for taking the flag away from two guys?
Speaker 7: And I said, well, if that's the case, it's not bad.
Speaker 6: I've never been one about wondering how people are going to remember me. I hope it's in a nice way that he was a nice guy, But yeah, it's been associated with the flag against it and very proud of the fact that I was close enough to do something about it, and having been in the military while I was playing in Major League Baseball with the Marine Corps Reserves.
Speaker 7: It meant maybe a little bit more to me at.
Speaker 6: That particular moment, and especially in the scene set nineteen seventy six. You know, things have changed a lot around the world since that particular time, But you know, that flag. I've said this before and I'll say it again. That flag is pieces of cloth, but it represents the rights and freedoms that all of us have, at least the opportunity to extend those rights and freedom. Now, what we do with those rights and freedoms is us is up to us individually. And collectively, but it represents a lot of people that have given life and limb to make sure that we can live in a free world.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up because many may not be aware of the fact that you didn't just frame that American flag. You've used it to help our veterans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my wife, BARBARIAI and I have been able to take that. In fact, she took it across country with the Patriotard Writers was the organization that she came out with from our home of Duro Beach, Florida, and brought it to Dodger Stadium many many years ago when fourteen states, fourteen days, stopped off at every military installation that they could, military hospitals on top of it, and were escorted and at every state line that they had a handoff ceremony to the next group of Patriot Guard Writers that would then transfer it to Barbarleywood with them, she wrote on motorcycles. You know our daughter went as well. It was a great experience and it's something. Then again, the lifespan of that flag, we still are able to use it here and there to they raise some money for some wonderful charities From time to time.
Speaker 2: We know what your life's been like, you know, since the nineties, But what was it like in the immediate aftermath after saving the flag in nineteen seventy six and when you came to the Dodgers in seventy seven.
Speaker 6: I'll reflect back to that Sunday afternoon when it took place in the fourth ending of a game here at Dodger Study, and there were people in the visiting locker room. After the game. Obviously, they confiscated the flag, took that for evidence.
Speaker 7: The two people went through the court.
Speaker 6: They were fined eighty dollars a piece on trespass and they were put on two year probation. And then a few months later, Ol Campaigns the Dog came into Chicago presented me of that flag. I'd asked for it that day, but after the game, I thought, well, it was another event.
Speaker 7: There was an.
Speaker 6: Interruption in the game, and I reacted with something that I thought was the right thing to do. I thought it was the right thing in nineteen seventy six. Here we are in twenty twenty five. I still think it was the right thing to do. I was angered by it also because they came on the field disrupted the game. But that was kind of a minor incident. But yet different time, different plays. Had no idea that this focus was going to blow up on me, and at times has been unsettling to me because I didn't do anything that my friends would not have done had they been in the same geographical location as I was.
Speaker 2: What's the like meeting presidents over the years, because I'm sure they want to shake your hand for what you did.
Speaker 6: You know what it is when we received an invitation, In fact, I called Parbarly from this booth a number of years ago and I said, hey, maybe all star break, let's go and have dinner. Let's fly out of town, go somewhere. And says, yeah, where do you want to go? I said, why don't we go to our nation's capital. I said, We've actually been invited to have dinner with the president. She's the president of what I said, our country. So and when President Bush, it was Junior that did ask will you bring the flag with you on top of it? When the President asked for that, you have no idea how many.
Speaker 7: People it touches.
Speaker 6: And from time to time, I mean there have been instances when we have visited military hospitals and people would ask do you have the flag with you?
Speaker 7: Yes? Can we have a picture taken with it? Yes? And one gentleman, very very quickly.
Speaker 6: There was a young lieutenant at Walter Reed Army Medical Center years ago that had just arrived at Walter Reed maybe two days before we got there when biz wounds. He asked about the flag. His wife was there and asked if he could have a picture with us, and we took the photo with the flag, and he said, all of a sudden to the doctors, says please take the flag. And he was beginning to bleed at the time. And I said, Lieutenant's okay. He says, no, I will not bleed on the flag, but I will die representing the rights and freedoms that we have as a result.
Speaker 2: That's powerful stuff, Rick, thanks a lot for sharing that, and happy anniversary.
Speaker 3: You made a great play.
Speaker 6: Well, we've got a great country right here, and we've got to take charge of it and make sure it continues on it and gets even better.
Speaker 2: No doubt the Dodgers will replay that play of the game. April twenty fifth, nineteen seventy six during tonight's ballgame.
Speaker 3: What's your game plan?
Speaker 2: How about starting your future at a California community college. Financial aid is available to help with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take the next big step. Classes can fail quickly, so en roll today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 3: Still to come.
Speaker 2: Here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll preview tonight's pitching matchup Marquee matchup. As you already know, Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson will rejoin us.
Speaker 3: For the Keys to the game.
Speaker 2: But up next, I go high and tight with Sunday starter Tyler Glass. Now I'm David Vase and this is the world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Well, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunter on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Big Night at Dodgers Stadium, Yama Moto versus Paul Skeins. The pitching matchup two of the best not only in the National League, but in all of Major League Baseball. First pitch between the Dodgers and Pirates coming up at seven to ten. Dodger Baseball brought to you by Zen She Handcrafted Sushi. Enjoy the game with a quick, affordable meal that the whole family can enjoy. Zen she Handcrafted Sushi, made fresh onside daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion, and tradition. You could taste Tunerole salmon, Tempora shrimp my personal favorite, or Tim Katz's the mango crunchy dragon roll. They have poke bowls as well. Find zen She near the deli counter at Ralphs. Zen She handcrafted sushi, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Join right now by one of the key Dodger starters in their rotation. It's a big night here with Skeens and Yamamoto, but a big day on Sunday when Tyler Glass now will take the mound. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks for having me, dude.
Speaker 3: I know you're a big baseball fan.
Speaker 2: So on a night like tonight Skiens and Yamamoto, what's it like for you and for guys that really love the game.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's awesome. I'm sure everyone will be watching today. I think if you're a fan of your good baseball, good pitching, especially tonight is the night you tune in and watch.
Speaker 2: I feel like guys get ask this all the time, but it's so cliche. What does it mean to go against the other guy? But it seems like you guys don't even view it that way.
Speaker 11: Yeah. I think a lot of times pitching is such an individual, like you got to care or like we're kind of worry about what you're doing on the mound or like how to execute pitches and game plan and everything like that. Like you're not really, at least for me anyway, I'm not really concerned with what like the other starter is doing. You know, you kind of like take care of business, do what you gotta do, and then when you go out there and put up some zeros, hopefull your team, your team wins.
Speaker 2: Is it different now because you spend most of your career in the American League, but when pitchers could hit in the National League you don't even see each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. Yeah, I mean, like, yeah, you really don't.
Speaker 11: I think it's a good point. Maybe it was a little bit more of a thing in the I now, like always facing pitchers and kind of having that like not really a free out, but sort of a free out type of thing. So that was always kind of a weird situation. Hitting was always fun too, But yeah, maybe that's that's the difference.
Speaker 3: I know, we hear about Paul Schemes a lot. You got to worry about your own business. How much have you seen him pitch? I haven't.
Speaker 11: I haven't seen him pitch it all this year, so to not it'll be cool just to watch him pitch, And yeah, I didn't. I haven't really kept up or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about Yamamoto, There just seems to be a different swagger confidence about him.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, he's definitely still the same dude. But I think it's tough for anyone to come into the league, especially being so young, Like the first year you're kind of getting a footing and kind of understanding what the league's all about.
Speaker 3: And I think he just kind.
Speaker 11: Of got that footing last year and then came in with the confidence knowing how good he is and he's doing what everyone thought he would do.
Speaker 2: Now, do you really believe the Japanese pitchers have a bigger adjustment because of the baseball, because of the mound?
Speaker 3: Is that a real thing?
Speaker 11: Probably takes some time, I think so, for sure.
Speaker 3: I think too.
Speaker 11: Probably if you have like Humong his hands, it's probably a bit easier, But like for Yamamoto's he's got like relatively small hands. Yeah, I think the grip is probably a lot different, just the ball being bigger and learning how to leverage. It seems differently, and I'm sure there definitely is some adjustment there.
Speaker 7: For sure.
Speaker 2: Tyler lastnow's got some meat hooks. What's the challenge of having larger hands and does it feel like sometimes it's hard.
Speaker 3: To get a feel?
Speaker 2: I know, longer levers as well all of that. What's it like to be to control the baseball?
Speaker 11: I think it's probably harder to just staying connected. I think when everything lines up, it's a lot better just because you have like more leverage and like longer limbs and all that stuff. But I think on the flip side, when things are disconnected, it happens.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's harder.
Speaker 11: To line up for a tall guy than it is for like a short guy. I guess that's what they tell me anyway. And I think it's just the more you do, like anyone, the more you learn your body and the more you pitch, the easier just to make adjustments. But I mean it's easier now for me than it was five years ago, and hopefully five years from now it'll be easier than this today.
Speaker 2: So connected means not only just being connected to the ground, but all of these long body parts being connected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, that's what I mean.
Speaker 11: Kind of like when your foot hits the ground, where your arm is in space, like where everything is, where your glove arm is, And I think it's really a game of inches, And I think like any small little adjustment you make out front, it really has a huge effect on where the ball ends up. So it's just for any good picture, it's about repeating mechanics.
Speaker 2: And being consistent with where your front foot lands. Is that like the key to timing where everything is coming together when your front foot lands not.
Speaker 11: I mean, for I think that's when you can like kind of look at video and decipher that way. But I think for everyone it's different, Like if you're landing in the same spot, it doesn't necessarily mean that your hands in a good spot, or like there's certain things that you have to line.
Speaker 7: Up, but.
Speaker 11: It could be like a ton of reasons. People's adjustments are all different. Like if mine might be at my foot strike someone else's might be their balance plat. Like, there's a ton of different things you can kind of look at.
Speaker 2: Sunday's your next start day. Obviously you got the cramps in the last start. How you feeling leading up to it?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 11: Everything feels good. I'm just gonna do a bunch of hydration stuff and figure all that out and then hopefully all can get out there and pitch hundred pitches or so.
Speaker 3: Hey, whatever you do, it's work.
Speaker 2: So you were an All Star last year for a reason, and certainly it will get on.
Speaker 3: Track for you. So thank you for the time.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Dude, there he goes Tyler Glass.
Speaker 2: Now he'll receive a pair of sunglasses to Canaan's world best polarized sunglasses. Canaan's lenses are clearer, lighter, and stronger than other lenses and are nearly impossible to scratch. Visit canaan dot com for your pair. Tyler Glass now will be on the mound against the Pirates on Sunday, a team that he actually started his Major League career.
Speaker 3: With, and we're looking forward to that tonight.
Speaker 2: We got Paul Skeens and Yoshi Yamamoto coming up at seven ten Dodger Baseball brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shakey's dot Com. When we continue from Dodgers Stadium, we have more Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the way. We will also catch up with Rick Monday on a big anniversary for him. Forty nine years ago he saved the American flag right here at Dodgers Stadium. So we'll check in with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson as we continue right here on the world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue.
Speaker 3: All Season Law Law.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Pirates, Yamamoto versus Skiens First pitch coming up at seven ten Tonight's Pitch Jim Matchup, presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Work hard and play hard in a new Tacoma with an I Force turbocharge engine. It's a truck built for the bold. See your Toyota dealer today. We make it easy.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: The Pirates are coming back from playing all the way in Anaheim, where Paul Skeens grew up being an Angels fan going to El Toro High School. The twenty two year old Rookie of the Year certainly has a reputation and has been a winner in fact, with the struggling Pirates where they're at. Last year, the Pirates were fifteen and eight and skiing starts. When Skeens was not starting games, they were just sixty one and seventy eight. That's seventeen games below five hundred. Skeens has been good, better than a two and two record, but the facts are the Pirates have not surrounded him and the rest of the team with talent to score runs. The last time he pitched, he went seven innings, allowed just two runs, but the Pirates were shut out three nothing by the Guardians. For the Dodgers, they have their National League Say Young candidate going tonight and Yoshi Yamamoto, who is three and one with an ERA of zero ninety three, including last time out going seven shutout innings, having ten strikeouts, no walks, and outdueling.
Speaker 3: Jacob de Grom.
Speaker 2: In case you didn't realize this, Yamamoto has not given up and earned run in the last twenty one innings and has not given up a run period in the last eighteen innings. From what I've been told from his teammates, he's not even firing on all cylinders because he understands better the one sixty two season, understands October means a lot, and he's pitching with a lot of confidence. We're just fifteen minutes away from this marquee pitching matchup. Keys to the game are next with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. As we continue live from Dodgers Stadium, I'm Rongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers, Baseballs.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Pirates, We're getting set for a highly anticipated pitching matchup between Yamamoto and Paul Skeins. When the Boys in Blue play a home game, it's important that they have the right plan to protect their house. The same applies to your home. Always have a plan and follow fire safety tips. For example, use or install ignition resistant materials around your home. Use fire resistant materials when building a deck. Replace vents with ember and flame resistant vents. Use noncombustible fencing materials for the portion that connects to the house. For more tips, go to fire dot CA dot gov. All right, before first pitch, let's check in once more with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson.
Speaker 3: Guys, appreciate you, dv look Mo.
Speaker 4: This segment is always about keys to the game, right, and one of the keys for the Dodgers in terms of getting to play better baseball is getting more out of their big names, their MVPs at the top, both of whom have cooled off. Muki had had his first three hit game in a minute the finale in Chicago. But show, hey, Otani, Mo has not looked himself. And look before I'm gonna preface my question by saying this, he just welcomed his first child to the world, and Annie and every parent out there, they feel empathy and they're giving Otani grace in that because they know it is such a stressful, exhausting and emotionally draining thing. You're not worried about one hundred miles prior or a devastating slider. You're making sure that your baby's healthy and your partners. Okay, yeah, so I think that is part of the calculus here. But the fact is he does not look right the at bats, the swings, the swing decisions, they've all been off.
Speaker 6: No, And you wonder about the focus, and understandably, the only thing about bringing first child or second child or third child, end of the world is normal. There is no normal. And then if we look at Otani the last seven games, just a one ninety four batting average against In fact, I started a little deeper diving, you know, against relievers, He's done exceptionally well this year three forty three against the starters two eleven average. Mookie Betts the last seven games is hitting at one forty eight. If we look at Michael Conford of the last seven games, hitting at one fifty. Andy Pan has starting today starting this swing the bat a little bit better the last seven games two fifty. Hopefully that continues up on the upswing, including with Max Munci who is starting to swing the bat a little bit better. Watched him closely in batting practice and just watching him at VP much better session.
Speaker 4: You are right, I think you know the obviously the stars draw all the attention, all the concern Right now, what's wrong with Otani, what's wrong with Bets? But I think this team proved last year at the end of the year, the ups and downs of one sixty two, Otani, Bets, Freeman, Tasker, Hernandez, those four you're not really stressed about. It's the other five, and right now they're not getting enough from them either, So hopefully they can pick that up in this homestand way easier said than done, David Vasse for the Dodgers or any hitter when you're facing Paul Skeens. But the Dodgers got a great one on the mound as well, Yoshinobu Yamoto. We cannot wait for this battle of the aces here tonight at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, can't wait for Paul Skansa Yama Moto.
Speaker 3: Right around the corner.
Speaker 2: After the game is over, we'll have postgame and Dodger talk for you.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the game. It's gonna be a great one.
Speaker 2: I'm David Vasse, and this is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network