Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Home on KFI, the house whisperer, Dean Sharp. Dean, I so need to hear what you have to say about this sorting, inventory, purging and storing. I need a good purach.
Speaker 2: And most of us do. Most of us need to purge. And that's really the problem is that we get so attached to our stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just stuff, but we're just like, oh, I could save that, Oh I might need that one day, and then five years later you're like, I still don't need it, but I better keep it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know that, of course, there's a there's a factor to holding on to stuff that actually gets into you know, mental illness. And that's not what we're dressing. Well, you know, I'm just saying Friday the thirteenth and all. Yeah, uh, but that's not what we're trying to tackle on Sunday Show. But what we are trying to tackle is the fact that we all get very, very attached to things. And it's just it's a human tendency to want to hold on to nostalgia, to hold on to memorabilia and just the stuff, the things that remind us of days that were great, and as a result of that, we all have too much stuff, we really do. And this is a way that I've developed over the years of helping clients kind of let go of things. It kind of under cuts our emotional attachment to things. That makes it a little easier. It's not fool proof, but it makes it a little easier. And that's the order that you go about doing things as you clean out and clear out and organize things. And it starts with sorting, which is non judgmental. We're not making any judgments. We're not deciding to get rid of anything yet, but we're just separating things into their own piles. And I use the example I think in the note that I gave you of socks. You know, if you're just going through clothes, you run into socks every once in a while, and the tendency is like, oh, yeah, I remember the Yeah, these are nice socks, and you just set them aside. I'm going to keep those. But until socks become their own pile, you don't actually realize whether you've got just a few or whether you have you know, I don't know, forty seven pairs and night unmatched singles, right, yeah, yeah, at point a pile like that, it's easier for us to look at and say, all right, well, hey, nobody needs forty seven pairs of socks. I need to kind of take a look at what I've got and purge some of them along the way. And if we do that with most of the things that we're attached to, we really can be successful getting rid of a lot of stuff and then storing what is left. And that's a whole another side to this whole thing. I always say this, there's storing comes into two forms, staging and long term. And as a designer of homes, I will tell you this, the best advice, the most stage advice I can give to you about your closets inside the house is that closets are for staging, not storing. And staging simply means that what's ever in your closet is there because it is something that is quite often used. It's just a staging area for often used things. If it's not something that gets used often, then that's storage. That's long term. And we got to figure out crates and shelving and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know about you, but I but Dean, I so need this, and so when are you talking about this?
Speaker 2: Sunday morning, Sunday, it's going to be Sunday Show, the Big Show from nine to noon.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's if you call it the SIPs program, Sort, inventory, purge and store and just listening to you, I'm like, yep, need to do that. Oh yep, I'm storing stuff in my closet. Oh yep, I need to go. And I bet that I'm not alone in that. So Dean Sharp, the host of Home on KFI, you can listen to him tomorrow morning from six to eight and then of course Sunday morning from nine to noon, where he's going to go over the whole SIPs program and you can get your life cleaned up a little bit and organized and maybe have a little more space so you can get more.
Speaker 2: Stuff, exactly more stuff.
Speaker 1: Dean Sharp, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy,