Speaker 1: For twenty five season after missing most of last year due to a foot injury. The only remaining undecided player is freshman forward Carter Bryant, who wasn't until April twenty sixth to declare for the twenty five NBA Draft.
Speaker 2: So his on the clock, Today's fifteenth. Yep, how can I forget? It's a big day, big day. Yes, So we have eleven days, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you.
Speaker 4: Think about Crevis coming back? You think he's gonna he one? Is he gonna be ready?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Is he gonna be better because he was uninjured right away? Right, and he could come back. I think this team would have been better off with Henry, But what the.
Speaker 3: Hell do you want? Man? We don't have that anymore. Don't have that?
Speaker 2: This team would have been then if Henry came back and Carter would come back.
Speaker 3: Now that window gets even better, the windows wide.
Speaker 2: But you know, to his point, to his credit, maybe CREVSS is gonna be ready and ready to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it was obviously two different styles of player player out there. You know, more of a kind of conventional big man down low center. He's not going to come more than ten feet out and do anything offensively. But you know, that's kind of the way centers always used to play. And Vasar showed us a whole different type of player.
Speaker 2: Right right, And and he'll have some complimentary guys Waka and the new freshmen who are going to be very athletic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's that I'm looking for.
Speaker 4: I've not seen CoA Pete, but if his dad was an NFL tight end and he's built like.
Speaker 2: His dad, I've seen I've seen him just in videos and he obviously looks smooth and big like you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's gonna be an interesting dynamic to have.
Speaker 4: But you know, having a big guy in the center, I mean, then it's been some a few of them lately.
Speaker 3: You know, then pretty good.
Speaker 4: Zach Edy was pretty good at Purdue a couple of years ago. So we'll see if that type of player can be effective still in college basketball.
Speaker 1: Arizona softball national ranking saw a little movement after sweeping Kansas, staying at number eleven and D one Softball and number twelve and m NFCA poll, but their RPI dropped to number thirteen. Though wildcats next opportunity to improve their seating comes with the crucial series against Texas Tech as they am to close the gap in the Big twelve standings.
Speaker 2: Oh, and they have a big, good series coming up with Texas Tech. Yeah, the million dollar baby, right, it comes into town. The picture, Oh that picture, that's right.
Speaker 4: Well, they went to Kansas and they wiped them out, so I don't maybe be winning those road games didn't mean much for their overall ranking because Kansas isn't all that great, but they swept them and they had a couple of run rule games there. So again talk about TV coverage, I was, I was sitting around. I was watching you know, women's softball at like eleven o'clock in the morning from Lawrence, Kansas. So the games are on if you want to watch them.
Speaker 1: Arizona men's basketball has announced a home and home series with Yukon, with the Wildcats traveling to Connecticut on November nineteen, twenty twenty five and hosting the Huskies in Tucson on November eighteen, twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was, well, I'll cover them for a long time. Is everyone else?
Speaker 2: I went to stores for that game, and that was the game that we talked about with the goldtending non golden game. That was the time, the beginning of the time that we started to realize that that Loot was missing practice, missing games because of Bobby. I remember we took that trip, uh, and I was on the team flight and I noticed that he was not on the flight with the guys. Got arrived there really late. The next morning they made the announcement he was not with the team and had to be stayed with her because of her illness. Rosboro coach, Rosboro coach, I forgot about that. Yeah, So so that was the beginning of I think December, December ninth, two thousand, yeah, yeah, so exactly, so that's when it and she passed just a few weeks later when he remember he started missing games and then the uh the Fistobol Classic. He didn't coach in the championship game against Mississippi State it was, and then she passed on exactly yeah, exactly, so that was that game. Did Ross coach that game? And there was a fantastic game. That place was crazy cold as all hell.
Speaker 3: I remember that well.
Speaker 4: Just looking at the results of a few of those games through the series, you know, there was a two point game there, there was an overtime game here that Arizona long.
Speaker 3: Remember that game. That was a great game too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then they lost to them in Maui and they lost to them in Anaheim by two.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But then the last two games they won, Azona beat him. They beat him by fifteen here in twenty seventeen and then beat him by four in Hartford.
Speaker 2: So so back then too, here you had loot against Jim Callho Jim Calhoun. So you have two titans of the game right going and that was part of the story, just these two dudes. Now you have Hurley, who's Hurley right and has done great job, and then Tommy trying to beat that guy.
Speaker 4: Get a chance to beat the Hurley brothers in the same season, maybe, right, that doesn't happen for Arizona lately.
Speaker 1: Arizona women's basketball get to commitment from guard and Mikayla Purdy. Mikaela was the Horizons League Player of the Year last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like we said, I think that she'll be able to find some talent, you know, maybe even players of the years other places and bring in and start a five, start a five, start a seven that will be kind of working in the groove here and maybe make something worthy the start of something.
Speaker 4: She had some good numbers. She averaged nineteen points a game playing for Cleveland State. So you know, again the competition question is always going to be out there. But if she's going to start getting players, she's got to start getting them gathering them together.
Speaker 1: See what she has the Seattle the Seattle Storm AF selected Madison Connor in the third round of the WNBA draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the one thing that we know about Adiya she knew how to find talent. There's no question, there's no doubt about that. It's like Mike said yesterday, could find talent, but just couldn't keep it. Yeah, here and Mattie was a heck of a player. She just couldn't stay here or didn't want to stay here.
Speaker 4: She had strong connections in Europe too, right, Adya did, so she would get players to come from all over, kind of like Tommy does with the men's team. So it's an interesting dynamic that those both those programs kind of had. So I don't know, I don't know if Becky Burke has connections you know, across the across the Atlantics.
Speaker 3: Just talent, just gotta find the talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we'll see the Phoenix Suns have fired coach Mike Budenholzer after a disappointing thirty six and forty six season, marking their third head coach dismissal in just twenty three months for the Suns. Budenholzer, who was let go after just one season, joins Monty Williams and Frank Voleel on the Sun's payroll, with a team now holding a staggering seventy five million in contract for fired coaches since twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Imagine having seventy five million for people just to go away. Yeah, I'm having a hard time with seventy five dollars.
Speaker 4: That's franchise is a mess. I'm sorry. Their roster is a mess. They're paying all these guys way too much money. They're already talking yesterday the day after the season ends. They're always talking about getting rid of Kevin Durant and Booker will probably be the one that stays and Beale and Durant, who knows. But they're making way too much and the coaching situation, they just have.
Speaker 3: Not been able to put it together.
Speaker 4: No, you know, I mean even Monti Williams, who got him to the championship a few years ago. Then he's out, and then he's out in Detroit. I mean, the coaching in the NBA is so crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, Steve is partly one of the longest tenured.
Speaker 3: Coaches in the league. I got to be one of them, and he's definitely.
Speaker 2: I think there's only two people in the last few years who has a job after winning a title, because there's I think seven of them, and there's five who have been fired recently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Buldenheuzer, the guy who the Vogel guy two there's been and three others.
Speaker 3: I think Malone was Malone Denver.
Speaker 4: So who do the sons go after? There's all these guys that are out there now that they could do. They want to go get a you know, Malone, or they want to go get Luke Walton. Does he want to coach in Arizona again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then his success rate has not been all that great. Does he want to be a head coach? Have you talked to him?
Speaker 3: No? No, I talked to him when his dad passed last year at this time, But no about Steve Nash. What do you want to come in?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, that's good. That's a good name. Who knows, but why, well, why do it? Because they're gonna pay you a boload of money and if you don't do well, they're gonna pay you a bowload of money.
Speaker 4: Signed a nice five year deal for forty dollars. I mean, crew has got to they're playing tonight. They you don't want to be playing games against.
Speaker 2: What tis I start? Okay, so we'll see what happens with that, Uh, the NBA. I'm still a believer that the talent doesn't always win the day, uh college or otherwise, because you give throw people money and it doesn't necessarily mean that they're.
Speaker 3: Gonna be good, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And if you throw a lot of people money, doesn't miss misses necessarily mean that they're gonna play well together.
Speaker 4: I was joking with with my kids this this weekend. We were talking about, well, is this gonna be it for you know, for Staff and Draymond and that whole nucleus of Warriors.
Speaker 3: And then then I kind of did a little Google search on Kerr.
Speaker 4: He's making like two hundred million dollars more on his contract and he's got so much money coming his way if he plays, why would he leave?
Speaker 6: Who?
Speaker 3: Steph? Steph? You Okay, he said curse. I think I mean Curry. Oh yeah, curse making. That was funny.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, yeah, And there's the court is no longer there. Yeah, the court pretty much is. You know, Thompson's in Dallas and it's only Draymond and uh and Curry and Curry, yeah, because everyone else is gone. But they're still putting it band aated together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They look they're fun to watch to me. And maybe I have a bias because I am a Golden State Warrior guy now and having for a while.
Speaker 3: But guess what.
Speaker 2: The rest of the league plays the same way. Yeah, fight out for out whatever and just kind of.
Speaker 3: Shoot the three.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's what people don't like anymore because everyone's playing the same game because.
Speaker 3: The NBA is not being watched.
Speaker 1: It's been a great fit since they got Butler.
Speaker 3: I think Jimmy Butler's made a big difference. But you know, he's been really hot.
Speaker 4: And no, we don't talk about it here that much as the Clippers and then on fire in the last like I don't know, six weeks something like that. They're like twenty four and three or something ridiculous. They beat the Warriors just on Sunday. I think it was in a great game, huge game. He was a loss for the Warriors. Gonna have to force him to play today and not get to sit out for like, you know, a week or so.
Speaker 3: So the winner of this game plays whom.
Speaker 1: They are in the playoffs, so they will face the Rockets.
Speaker 3: Yeah too, he'll be the seventh seeds.
Speaker 2: And you don't think the Rockie coach must be a fantastic coach because he was out. He got fired at Boston Boston because he turned that that franchise around in a heartbeat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that, and that just don't happened by accident.
Speaker 1: Dallas Mavericks GM Nigo Harrison has no regrets about the Luga Dante's trade, as he stated, I think once we win, then that will change your mind.
Speaker 3: If you don't win, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like tell Jay all the time when he was with me all the time, j are you a good guy? And he would say, yeah, I'm a good guy. Breaking news. Jay's a good guy. What is he gonna say? No, Steve, I'm a horrible guy.
Speaker 4: They were talking about, you know, the loss of revenue since he left Jersey sales and the season ticket holder said.
Speaker 3: I don't want to come back to Why who do they even have anymore? K Oh yeah, yeah?
Speaker 4: And uh Kyrie when you know he's that's a bad injury for him.
Speaker 3: He might not be back for a while. Yeah, that's it. How can you defend that? Sorry? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Two way star Travis Hunter told CBS Sports that none of the teams he has met with ahead of the NFL Draft has made an issue of him playing both offense and defense. However, if a team told him he could not play both, he would stop playing.
Speaker 3: Okay, how comes Shador is not going to be at the draft? I don't know. He just doesn't want them. I don't know, because.
Speaker 4: Demon will be there. I'm gonna guess. No, is he what well Travis Hunter player? I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: They say all these guys have been in, like tam Max gonna be there and stuff like that from Arizona. No, no, Schdor, He's gonna be like the top could be a Top I pick, it could be a top twenty five pick.
Speaker 3: You're not sure sure.
Speaker 1: Damian Lillard will miss the start of the NBA playoffs due to a blood clot He's at Milwaukee. Still, Lillard, who has been out since March eighteenth, has made significant progress with the blood clot and it remains optimism that for his clearance at some point in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Okay, if there, if they're hanging in there, right, who are the favorites, the favorites.
Speaker 1: The Thunder and the Celtics. I believe in the Calves are right there. Who's the number one in the East. The Calves are record Boston to Yeah, Okay. The Dolphins and defensive back Jalen Ramsey intend to part ways.
Speaker 4: Okay, Sei Jalen, I'll get a big contract somewhere else. Apparently he's had a couple of big deals I remember with the Rams.
Speaker 1: Especially Dallas Wings select Page Beckers with the number one pick in the w NBA draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for them.
Speaker 2: We can start to start from the bottom right and play and see what happens. Kingon Clark with with who is she with Washington or Indiana?
Speaker 3: Indiana?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they weren't doing really well with her and then they caught fire made the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and those games will get televised. There's there's already a I think there's a game already scheduled for whatever ESPN with them to two against each other because that season starts here pretty soon.
Speaker 3: I saw it. Only you knew that from the draft last night. Yeah, that is it for today's breaking news. Okay, give you one more.
Speaker 4: Patrick Peterson Cardinals dB officially retired as a Cardinal today.
Speaker 3: Are you a Cardinal guy? Only because you have to watch them soon?
Speaker 4: In the years where they were like the only you had to watch, I've never been a big fan. Yeah, but individually some I mean, you know, Larry Fitzgerald was fun to watch.
Speaker 3: That's why I watch Who do you watch Zone?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I do that too.
Speaker 2: No, I don't watch anybody because the names to me don't mean anything anymore. It's like back in the day, you fell in love with the team and they stayed with the team.
Speaker 3: Now it's like, oh, he's with them now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, yeah, because he did bounce around the last five years. It seems like he was going and going, but he was.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: There's only been four cornerbacks in NFL history named a seven straight pole Pro Bowls, and two of them are in the Hall of Fame already, Champ Bailey and Willie Brown and Patrick Peterson. Maybe's one of them and then the other one. Jalen Ramsey. We just mentioned seven straight Pro bowls. He's up there too, Okay, cool, cool cool.
Speaker 3: So that's it right, We got it. We'll take a break and get ahold of hop.
Speaker 5: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus bots just after this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 3: Bank Bank, that's bank, Enter it.
Speaker 5: Now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucson. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Enterprise of Fasco Yuki Tribe.
Speaker 2: We talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Give them a.
Speaker 2: Call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 9: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six one eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal housing opportunity now to commitment to Lindrix syncretic rates and available loan programs or subject to chain.
Speaker 10: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bercall five two O seven to four to OH twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of I on the Ball Go cats.
Speaker 11: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 12: Overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 3: You'll find it all here.
Speaker 12: At the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the window deepot dot com on the window depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 5: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show? Call out Steve now went five to two oh four one six seventy four.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball. Here a Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, your Dave. We got Kobe Now. We're trying to reach out to have in a second, so we'll see what happens if we call talk about what's going on in the town of high school sports. What else saw, Dave?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: This is Jackie Robinson day.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, Baseball honoring him today and with the number forty two on every jersey.
Speaker 3: So for you old guys, for you guys, did you see him play?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 6: What do you see him playing? Not that old that you that you were? No? No, but you're not a Dodger too, right, I'm not a Dodger fan, but you know I still love the stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sootos who maybe just.
Speaker 4: Talk about a night. It's the airs in a baseball tonight. They're playing Grand Canyon the Lopes. Okay, so that's always a good matchup. They're always good in baseball.
Speaker 3: Lopes have to have their number pretty much. Basketball team had our women's team baseball, they can't get through. But now we're on the phone.
Speaker 2: We have Javier Morales all sports two sound dot com.
Speaker 3: Have you are? What's up? Hey, guys? How you doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing okay, We're doing okay. Can you want to be caught up with what's going on in the high school world of sports? How much time? About two more weeks with stuff going on?
Speaker 13: Yeah, there's about two more weeks in the high school baseball and softball season. Also track is going on, you know, So it's it's coming down to the to the very end here, unbelievably because it's so like it wasn't too long of the high school football season is going on, and now here it is the end of the whole the whole school year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like the spring goes faster than the winter. I don't know why, but it does. Because it's almost over. School's almost over and about a month. So who are the star teams to look out for as they approach these playoffs?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm sorry, I also forgot toys. Volleyball's going on right now too, But some of the some of the best team. There's a lot of good as always, there's a lot of good softball and baseball teams locally in Tucson.
Speaker 7: I mean Cell Point Baseball.
Speaker 13: Has only lost one game and that was this week in a tournament that involves Catholic schools in Las Vegas. They're there for four days. National teams that are going there. I've talked to a few coaches. Actually, one of the coach, one of their coaches teaches at Sunnyside with me and he mentioned this is his Cell Points best team under Preble and Preble's coach in two thousand and nine, and he led them to the twenty nineteen championship.
Speaker 14: And you know, Mason.
Speaker 13: White was on that team in twenty twenty one that came up really short against the cdo at High Corbett. But in the gentleman fever menta is been coaching there for a while, and you think this is their best overall team with pitching, defense, batting. I mean, it's just they have no weakness overall and their whole you know, their whole rosters. So they're very good. They're seventeen one and one the last time I saw they had one tie against I think a des of you that got late and they couldn't play because there was no lights. It was I a tournament or something like that. They couldn't play, They can't finish the game. But yeah, I mean it's I think, uh just just their overall. I saw them play CDO a couple of weeks ago. They beat him ten to zero in in uh in six innings. And CDO historically has been very strong and they're strong again. Their top ten team in the four A. So this this is the year where.
Speaker 7: Cell Points ranked number one in four A.
Speaker 13: So it's expected of them to win the championship. In recent years, it's like they're one of the top five six teams. But they're they're like right up there, they're there. They should be considered a favorite to win the state championship.
Speaker 3: Kay, you know what about some of the other sports.
Speaker 4: Softball is always strong with you know, the CDO softball.
Speaker 13: I mean, CDO is the same thing. They're the same thing in five A. They're they're they're in in games that the AA recognizes they don't recognize in season tournaments in their power ratings.
Speaker 7: So in their you know, their right.
Speaker 13: Their rankings are number one and they have an undefeated record because they haven't lost any any games that are in season. Amelia s. Druber, who's going to Oregon State is you know, she's untouchable, and she had like an array and there erer point six senior, you know, just uh some strong leadership there. She pitched in the championship game last year against Cell Point at hillm Brand got kind of rock. They're you know, a couple of home runs you give up. And I think this year she has the mindset that she's gonna win it, uh win that state championship. And they're they're very strong, and you know, there's just there's a lot of good teams. Sorrta is good, Micah Mountain, Uh, like I said, South Point also in softball is very good, too soon and Sunnyside. Uh. You can go down the list of a lot of schools that have a chance come postseason to to make a deep run. So it's gonna be fun here in the next couple of weeks to follow all these teams. Baseball, the five A they have like I think they have sixteen Southern areas only have six teams in the top eleven, leve By, Kelly and Foothills. Dwyer's their top player.
Speaker 14: I think he was.
Speaker 13: He was a former Arizona commit. He's one of their top guys. So, yeah, it'll be it's gonna be interesting if people like to go out to high school baseball and softball games like our our buddy Vic, they'll they'll have a lot, they'll have a great time.
Speaker 14: I see him everywhere every time. Every time I go to a game.
Speaker 13: He's there. It's like he's he's like stocking me or following me.
Speaker 3: He's in the same thing.
Speaker 14: He's the great guy.
Speaker 2: Though, So to me, you've covered this a while now, you and your brother. Is this an era of softball baseball some of the best, even though you know Tucson has been historically a pretty good u bed for for both sports.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's hard to say, because, like you said, every year.
Speaker 13: There's there's strong teams because of you know, we're in Tucson and good weather and a lot of development here since when they start out young. Because of that, there's a lot of good.
Speaker 7: Club teams and the Little League.
Speaker 13: You know, it's just as it as Isaiah Moraga, who's the stand out senior pitcher for self when he was on that Sunny Side Little League team that came one ending away from making the Little League World Series in twenty nineteen. I think he's he has some crazy stats, like he's got forty four strikeouts and four walks, just tremendous controls, got an area of about one point seven. He's going to South Mountain with his dad. Ernest played at His uncle is Omar Mora. I don't know if you remember him. He played, was a high draft choice, some good jeans there. So yeah, I mean there's I mean that whole Cell Point going going back to Cell Point there. Their roster has a lot of people that you know, their their relatives were really successful and you know in in past years like the Safer I don't know if you remember the Safers that came out of Sabino.
Speaker 14: Jeff Safer.
Speaker 3: Is he the son of the son, Yeah, he's Don. Don was the grandfather, yea.
Speaker 14: Don was the grandfather. Played for John Wooden.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Paul Safer now is the one.
Speaker 13: Who plays at Cell Point. He's the grandson. He's the son of Jeff Safer, who was a really good put player at Sabino when he played with the Thanks Organization for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Who and then his maybe his uncle because his uncle was the GM here at iHeart met him.
Speaker 14: Yes, uh, I think Mike.
Speaker 2: Lay right right, Okay, I'm just trying to picture who's who here because I've never met the dad of the ballplayer.
Speaker 13: Then okay, yeah, Mike Safer was probably the most notable one.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 13: He was a prey All American at Sabino, went on to u c l A. Yeah, played for Jeff skur In there at Sabino. And then John Safer was a top five uh you know, he was drapped in the fifth round by the Exposed in ninety three. He played at Anti. He's a he's another uncle. Jeff Safer played at Sabino. He played, was a really good quarterback and baseball player, also played for Skirn. And now you know, Paul is the grandson. He's a senior and he's one of the top players. Also on that Selping team is Anthony Milo Junior. He's the son of Tony Milo, former Arizona baseball player, and Katie Swan who played softball in Arizona. So a lot of good bloodlines there.
Speaker 4: Remember she was a former k gun ka Gun intern Katie Swan and she really she was quite a player. Was second basement I think for Arizona and some those great early Candrea with teams, who did you mention?
Speaker 3: Who did you mention? It was a commit to Arizona And he's no longer.
Speaker 13: Dwyer the one out of Kenyan Foothills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what's he up to.
Speaker 13: He's just he's I don't think he's signed with anybody. If I'm mistaken, he's you know, I I like him. I think it's a it's a situation where Arizona hasn't overloaded. He was a pitcher and he also played in the field, but I think they have They kind of basically told him that they have, uh, you know, surplus at where he's at, and he's taken in stride and he you know, and you never know what could happen in these days, but you know, transfer Portal or were believing to go pro if there might be if you another spot might know for him. For him, I really don't know the particulars of all that, but he's he's a top talent. Kelley and Footal is one of the top teams in the state in the five A.
Speaker 4: Are there are there draft type players out there in baseball.
Speaker 3: In this in this group, are there people who are gonna get picked?
Speaker 13: H That's that's the thing. It's it's a it's a good, good talent, but not high draftable talent. You know, guys who have maybe signed for like places like San Diego or uh, you know, some some lower d one but nothing like high you know, something not nothing like we've seen in you know, recent years, like Thinking balla something like that. It's it's it's not as.
Speaker 14: High as they're probably.
Speaker 13: May be some lower round draft or not drafted and go to a lot of there's a lot of kids who have signed to go to colleges, but I don't see a lot of them going to pro route right away.
Speaker 2: Do you, Oh, do you think the NIL could play with baseball because it's one of those things when they get to drafted or whatever, they get promised, you know a few hundred thousand dollars to sign with them that maybe instead of doing that, they decide to go to Juve or other places. I'm not sure what the NIL would be at the coll I think.
Speaker 13: It's just like any other sport where there's colleges that have the money, they have a better chance of keeping them. I don't know, if Arizona has that kind of money like you would see in the SEC schools like else, you to keep some of those guys from from signing. So yeah, I don't, I don't, who knows. I mean, the chances are though, for a partum like Arizona, they won't get a guy who's a high draft pick to stay with Arizona, whereas somebody you know the SEC might be able to. But you know, you know, Chip Hale's the way he's put together the staff though, in the pitching has been impressive, you know, just overall, just the way they've been able to go from one year where they lose all their starters and then having they come up this year and have another good performance. They're pitching staff. That says a lot about about you know, him and their pitching coach and just their operation.
Speaker 3: Okay yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So you'll be busy here, going here and there to watch these teams. Who's the who's the odds on favorites? So South Point Baseball to win a title? Maybe CDO Women's or Studio Girls Softball.
Speaker 14: Yeah, those are the two obvious ones.
Speaker 7: Uh, smaller school, Busbee. They won the state championship last year.
Speaker 13: They're they're undefeated this year. They had everybody back from last year. That's smaller school from downtown South And But and then, like I said earlier, any of these teams that there's a lot of teams that are rank in the top ten in baseball and softball and in all classifications that have a chance. So it's going to be quite interesting here coming up. We had head into the end of this season, going into the postseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, thanks a bunch for coming on.
Speaker 14: All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 2: You well, however, Morales from All Sports toots on dot com get the latest on the youth sports stuff.
Speaker 3: But at that site, it's good site. Now, those guys are amazing. Well you're part of that too. Yeah, I do as little as possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the high school, no one's covering high school sports except except your website.
Speaker 3: They've got a control over.
Speaker 11: Yah.
Speaker 3: In fact, I need to talk about about a few things.
Speaker 2: Uh, maybe we can kind of maybe have a marriage with a TV station that kind of they get stuff from us and we give stuff from them and kind of arrangement.
Speaker 3: I don't know if the TV stations are doing much high school. Yeah, no, but this would give them a chance.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, they could use your stuff, your stuff, Yeah, okay, I mean if you were back, I mean, what's what's the best?
Speaker 3: Didn't we try to do that one time with the Citizen? We did.
Speaker 4: We had some kind of working relationship with the newspaper, which I liked. I don't know if there was enough news people that enjoyed it. But then in sports, I remember, I don't know if you were I think you were there.
Speaker 3: I was. I did something to get you on every once in a while TV with my bs talking about stuff.
Speaker 4: I think you guys used to have a camera set up in your newsroom, didn't you at some point and we would take that.
Speaker 3: That was kind of an interesting, right year, like.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and you still doing it in two thousand and eight, Yes, it was about two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I had to put make up.
Speaker 4: There because I mean, you guys were doing stuff that we could never get to.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 3: You'd have, you know, four or five reporters, and I had one. Yeah. Well, when I was on the road, dude, do it.
Speaker 2: I'd have to go to like an affiliate place ABC station to kind of get behind the desk and say, well, we're here at ore again and yeah, game tomorrow.
Speaker 3: It's a big game.
Speaker 4: That was always hard even for us to do when you know, we had relationships with those TV stations and we would have a hard time getting material out of there.
Speaker 2: Right sometimes, right, Well, let's take a break, come back and talk about a few things. I had something to ask you. Maybe I'll remember it when we think about it. If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give in to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email media Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health? Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to.
Speaker 16: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 1: Arizona Health the leadmage and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you.
Speaker 2: Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 16: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead.
Speaker 13: Manage an exercise report On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 17: Craving Tucson's best burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers. And great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth Anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 15: At Pyramid Federal Grandit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies need more money in your pocket. Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids A Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sun Spectrum Permid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured of by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 5: Steve Rivera he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball. You're on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Dave Silver, your Kobe, and I wouldn't have my eye on the ball without you, guys. That's why you're going to come in with some information on for me, Dave on this new story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean credit to uh Justin Spears with Tucson dot com. We're just looking over some of the stuff that's been coming down this afternoon and they're talking about the portal that reopens tomorrow. So the transfer portal of the spring will run just basically for ten days until April twenty fifth, while Cats are trying to recover after losing twenty nine players in the earlier portal, which was tied for the most in the entire country. Time for a second, I'm sorry with Purdue second most twenty nine players left.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering of those twenty nine, and they would never give you a straight answer, but of those twenty nine, how many actually you said, Okay, no problem, take care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: A few of them came back. Yeah, but you're right, I'm sure, Okay, Okay, good luck.
Speaker 2: You see what you can do it without without really saying that you're not good enough to here anyway, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But so yeah, So they're they're looking for a lot of a lot of spots. There's a lot of spots open. There's you know, freshman classes coming in, there's a different you know, key positions that they need to feel about a kicker, you know, things like that they had a great kicker Tyler Loop what they wrote about as well today on Tucson dot com. Who's got a good chance of you know, getting drafted. But there's a lot of a lot of spots open.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you, uh that said there's a chance too that you know when there's going, there's coming, exactly when there's coming, there's going. So did he say anything about the possibility of losing.
Speaker 3: That's for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean that's this is also a very popular time for people to leave. So now we have this window of just basically ten days. Sure, so I'm sure players saw what was going on in spring football. What are my chances? You know, this is the time where they're going to make that evaluation.
Speaker 3: Sure. Sure.
Speaker 2: And one of the reasons why they're not going to have a game is because, well, there a talent gets shown.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Dubraska kind of started this where they're just going to have an exhibition or whatever you're going to call it, and not to have.
Speaker 3: Anything on film.
Speaker 2: But guess what, players know who the coaches know who these players are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you're right, a lot of schools decided not to play games, or if they did, they were really, you know, slightly slightly attended. There was a few that had like five thousand fans.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Some of the bigger schools that you would think would get big crowds didn't really even you know, put their players out there. Because there is so much fluidity to their to their rosters, and players are coming and going. They probably don't want to go out there. And why should I get hurt of I'm going to transfer next week?
Speaker 2: Sure, No, no exactly, And Dave and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn or being naive about this, but I'm sure it happened here in basketball and poverty for football. They've been in contact with the other schools already. Oh yeah, you know, hey, the things don't go well, or if you're not happy, we're here for you.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Just the fact that these guys have agents, and it's so funny.
Speaker 2: It's so strange when I read that stuff, I'm thinking, well, we talked to their agent and then what Yeah.
Speaker 4: There was a guy that back in my development days working for the U of A who I ran into was in a lump up in the Bay Area who he was an agent, Yeah, but he was very quiet about it. He was an agent for professional players, not so much. Sure we get some U of A guys.
Speaker 3: Well because it wasn't available back then, right, But that was his career. So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I haven't talked to him in a while, but I'm wondering if he's kind of dipping his toes into the college players.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm gonna ask Meilbach, who's on the show every now and again. I wanted him to come on today because one of the questions was the Tennessee kid, and it could be Arizona kid, could be UCLA kid, didn't matter. The quarterback decided to, you know, leave and they said, we're you know, you're not going to be the face of our franchise and we don't need you to hold us hostage. But that happens, I'm sure other places and some and some another. What of our guests asked me to ask about is he a former employee?
Speaker 3: Is he does he colect unemployment right? Right?
Speaker 2: All that stuff, and what the legality of it when he eventually becomes that it would become employees and you kind of hold your your your business hostage, right, exactly what does it all mean? And then I'll ask him this because he used to be a sports agent, Matt did uh and you know, being an attorney and all that. I'm wondering how that, how that feels, because now it's just different. Now you could be part of it. You know, Jason Terry back in ninety nine got in trouble with an agent, YadA, YadA. I'm sure There's been a couple of others if I can remember correctly, but now it's like everyday occurrence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know he got his mama plane ticket or something like that back.
Speaker 4: Then and more, yeah, and more whatever, You're right. I mean, that's totally different. It's it's a different world. It's not the way it was twenty five years ago.
Speaker 2: No, in fact, it's almost we don't have very many kids here in talking ex players one because of practice time and all that stuff. But there might be a time. And that was kind of warned if you were going to come on the show, you need to pay us. Really yeah, and Jay and I at the time said that ain't happening. We're not You're not that important to get a No one's asked No one's done that for us. No one's asked us, Hey, if you're gonna be on, I'm gonna pay. But if it came to that, we're surviving okay without you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting. I don't know. I didn't think they would be on a talk show. Really they wanted to get paid.
Speaker 2: No, not specific to this, but they said eventually that could happen, kind of like I paid their parents.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can understand that.
Speaker 4: I suppose if they if they've got some deal with some store or sign autographs and things like that.
Speaker 3: That's usually how it's been working. I get.
Speaker 4: I guess they host these camps Fight Love Love Camp coming.
Speaker 3: Well, No, it just happened. Oh did he did?
Speaker 2: Because I wanted to get them on to show up Monday, thinking it was gonna come up, But it happened on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Didn't happen in the summer.
Speaker 2: No, it's just happened now with the thirteenth. Oh, because I'm trying to get him on.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: But then know they told me they warren me a year or so ago there could be a chance where kids were not coming on the show because you're not gonna pay them.
Speaker 3: This that ain't happen. I guess we got to start talking to high school kids.
Speaker 2: I got to take nil so I can pay the nil. Yeah, and I'm sure that's the case too, because I guess now nil kids high school kids are getting nil.
Speaker 3: Good for them, unbelievable. Helped me with the electricity bill at that call. Yeah, exactly, exactly. You gotta buy some groceries to live here in our house. You're making more money than us. Yeah. Yeah, that's just the way of the world, and I'm proud of you. Yeah. Well, I mean they're really making money and paying Yeah, if you google it, you'll probably find it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's just can seem like if you're, you know, graduated from high school and you're gonna go to a college and then all of a sudden he get this big check. Yeah, you know what's mom and dad gonna say, Grandma?
Speaker 2: The price of fame and the price of winning is just gone to be bonkers.
Speaker 3: How important is it? I guess very well.
Speaker 4: The separation between the pros and college is really shrinking if you think about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I posted a question to who was it?
Speaker 2: Oh, Michael v Michael Love, and you didn't happen to do this in your job much, if at all, be the be the columnist on TV. But something some people do, right suh? And you played it fair and square and I did too as a reporter. But you know, at some point these kids aren't going to be It's not so much fair game, but they're gonna you're gonna have to be critical of what they've done and actions they've had.
Speaker 3: They're not amateurs. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean that's kind of one of the excuses we used to have, was why don't go after them. They're just a bunch of kids and it's just the amateur playing and this and that. But now you know, maybe it has changed. They are earning, earning something. What are you getting some texts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did a text? I got to say this one from one of our callers. What the guests collars should be paid for their calls if it's a good show, bailing their money's right?
Speaker 3: Well call it out. Let's test this theory. Call us down and make us You're in the Hall of Fame of callers. Yes, well we had one.
Speaker 2: If that mic he called earlier on the break, he can call back, give me my deal. Yeah, for the callers, Yeah, the phone would off the hook.
Speaker 3: That call was worth what dinner it's sell and so restaurants. Yeah, you just won one of our sponsors. Yeah, that's an idea.
Speaker 2: Give him a give him a free dinner somewhere, any sponsors who want to do that. Yeah, But we had been in saything else on that story about the comings and goings of potential people, because now it's like the other think we know the potential people every no, no, no, no, but but the potential of that happening. Is there anything in there that he was quoted on? They say, yeah, we're keeping an eye on everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think he's just building that roster.
Speaker 4: If you lose you know, almost thirty players, you need to replace them somehow, right if it's even if it's just numbers to practice with and to keep everybody. You know, there's gonna be injuries obviously in football, and you know they're looking for players to fill those roles that disappeared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we'll see it.
Speaker 2: Just it's so funny in talking to half and with baseball and other sports. I'm sure, uh softball, basketball and football. How Tucson and I love Tuson. You've been here forever too. You probably had a chance to leave, so did I. But Tucson has that small town, big time type of right, and I wouldn't live in Phoenix's two damn monster town. How it doesn't have the money historically to compete with the other schools. Yet you want to be one of those other schools, you know, and you saw it, you chase the money.
Speaker 3: How difficult it is to compete even just for the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not just not on the field I'm talking about it's another This is another side action where if you don't.
Speaker 4: Get the money and you compete, you're talking about nil answer money. Yeah, I mean that's kind of what it's going to come down to. I think if teams want to do want to compete, they're going to have to you know, pony up and find donors who are going to help out with this. It's going to be interesting to hear some of the words coming from athletics as this money comes in, you know, on top of money that they're raising already for athletics, and what part of that's going to be for NIL I don't I don't understand that just yet. Yeah, but you know, at some point we'll need to, you know, get somebody on the record to say, Okay, they're going to get this much money from the House, the House votes or whatever, and then we still need to raise twenty five million more just for the nil stuff.
Speaker 2: In your time for working for the foundation, correct foundation, and whatever else you were working for, did you run into places where they said, no, Dave, because I'm going to give into the athletic department. Oh yeah, so you were already kind of losing out.
Speaker 4: Well, it's both sides, right, Yeah, I've already given or the number one excuse, husey was I'm paying my kids tuition, so I'm giving back to view of a that way, right, that was always a good one. They could always lean on that for like four or five years, and then after it was over, it's.
Speaker 3: Like, well, you know you're done playing in tuition.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry now, Yeah, I'm trying to collect that, buddy. No, I'm sure that happened a lot. Were those like cold calls or how No, they weren't. They were No, they were lumps. I wasn't doing cold calls. There were a lumps who had kids coming to live their life.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean.
Speaker 4: If you get that phone call from the U of A usually that's called like annual giving.
Speaker 3: It's usually a small ask.
Speaker 4: You five hundred dollars or one hundred dollars or five thousand. Those are considered like, you know, smaller gifts, So you would get that, and that's what they would say. Sometimes you could just give them a menu, Hey, would you like to support the College of Science or a College of Social and behavioral sciences?
Speaker 3: Would they get anything in return? Depends on how much.
Speaker 4: I mean, if they're given in the millions, you know, they're they're probably gonna what do you mean, like, what do you think they're gonna get?
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't they access to the dean, maybe access to somefessors, learn more, get behind the scenes things, meet the students. A lot of donors really just want to if they're going to give and create a scholarship, they just kind of want to meet the students that are going to use their money.
Speaker 3: That's always gratifying to people. That's cool, especially when you have that much money. What do you do with it?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's usually you know, they would get upset if they didn't hear from their students, and we'd have to jump on this. Yeah, sure, you know, right, mister and missus Smith at a nice letter thanking them, right, but yeah, athletics again, same thing. You know, I'm buying my tickets, that's my gift. Yeah, so I'm sure you know, if you talk to us them, that's that's probably the number one excuse they're getting.
Speaker 2: More power to them because now when you buy a ticket, they have an extra side money that's going to the nil right, right, the fifty dollars one hundred dollars particular.
Speaker 4: Right And if they ever you know, I don't think they're going to do it soon, but they were always talking about doing something with this football stadium, expanding it and changing it up. I mean, I don't know if that plan is dead for now, but yeah, you know that's going to be a huge expense.
Speaker 2: Well it's it's amazing to me and maybe to you, Dave, where they were this huge amount of money in debt, right and it became public two years ago almost whatever years ago, And how other schools didn't become public for being in debt because I would venture to guess at least fifty percent of the schools out there in debt for the same reasons, right, COVID more money that you have to find for some kind of things buildings of those facilities.
Speaker 4: Well, I think one thing that Arizona was guilty of sort of was giving away too much money in scholarships to students. Hey, you know, you come to Arizona, we'll give you, you know, thirty thousand dollars and.
Speaker 3: General general fund.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, I mean I think I don't know if I'm speaking out of a turn, but maybe that was some things that happened financially that you know in the old days, like oh, yeah, you know, I'm going to go to the place where I get the most money.
Speaker 3: Sure you would hear that from high school.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you talk about just general public, general public, not athletics.
Speaker 3: I mean athletics.
Speaker 4: Is you know, they have some big ticket items which they've you know, I don't know if they're going to pay off big call facility, and you know they redid Hill and brand you know, ten years ago, things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. It's a tough world.
Speaker 7: We live in.
Speaker 3: Tough world. Yeah, I'm sure you're happy or not happy to be out of that world. It's fun to be talking about it. I don't worry about it. Once the story, Once the show has done. I got to make a call to the East coast. Yeah, yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Wish that we have good We gotta win them. Okay, thanks Dave for coming in today. A good show. Good show. We had John Perlman from FC Tucson. Their season is going to start here pretty soon. Talked to have Morales just to get an update on what's going on with the team. It's a lot of good teams. Obviously a lot of good teams.
Speaker 4: I mean every year there's some good high school players and then you know the U of A and Pima benefit off that. Yeah, you know they've been having some great teams too. You're going to the baseball game tonight, go watch some baseball arison a Grand Canyon. So that should be fun. Haven't been to a baseball game yet?
Speaker 5: No year.
Speaker 3: No, they're pretty good. I like these midweek games.
Speaker 4: Six o'clock could be home by you know, seven thirty.
Speaker 2: Nice to be retired, you bet. You guys like me to call you? Can you come on? Can you come over? Can you want to go baseball game?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 3: Cool? And thank you Kobe for coming in today.
Speaker 2: I'll see you Thursday, right yep, And I'll see everybody tomorrow. I think we're gonna have Blake Eager tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Thanks