Speaker 1: The right quiet.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes in the A app back Go with Proway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: They did it. They are your twenty twenty four World Series champions. Good morning Los Angeles, ho Southern California. Sax and Kate to the Am are on the air here on A five seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us on this October thirty first, twenty twenty four, I am Tim Kates, joined by two times World Series Champion Rookie of the Year. He is one hell of a guy. He is Steven Sack. Sexy. Good morning, Buddy, what up? Tim they did it. Yeah, here we are the morning after they did it. They pulled it out last night in Game five. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to see how many people around La now are dressed up for Halloween his bad World series rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you what, Aaron, But Aaron Judge was dressed up last night as as a center fielder because he started an unwinding like no other for the Yankees last night. Wow, opening the door for the Dodgers in the fifth inning, opening the door for the Dodgers to come back and win Game five last night. What a game, What an emotional roller coaster.
Speaker 3: Last night's unbelievable yelling, screaming at the TV, clapping and jumping. I mean, it was amazing. And Aaron Judge, you know, it was such a roller coaster for him. I can imagine too. You remember the great play that he made in center field two, going against the wall and crashing in and then just taking his eyes off that ball at easy soft line drive that he took his eyes off, you know earlier in the game too, and in games passed he catches the ball fast and throws it in. I don't know what the hurry is. You know, you got to secure the ball, and he just took You can see in slow motion he took his eyes off of that right at the last second, and that cost him.
Speaker 1: It cost the Yankees. As the Dodgers come all the way back from a five to nothing deficit last night as they beat the New York Yankees seven to six. What a thrilling win it was for the Dodgers. The celebration went into the night, the early mornings. I had Dodger talking until midnight last night. Saxy here in the studio, went home and slept for three hours. Came back. I woke up before my alarm even went off. How got ready, came into the radio station. Been sitting here in the dark for the last half an hour just thinking they did it. I cannot believe this Dodgers team did what they did. And I know people will say they got a billion dollar roster, and they got salaries left and right, and they got the highest paid players in baseball. But they they had to overcome a lot of adversity this year. They had injuries, they had guys that had slumping seasons, and then despite all of that, they have to make a run in October. You have to win eleven games in the month of October to win a championship, and they did that last night in a thrilling win.
Speaker 3: You know what, you know, what I was really glad to see is, yeah, we know all about the talent, we know about the money off the chart that they're paying the players, but like you said, it was a lot of injuries involved. There were no egos on this team. It was all about getting excited about somebody else being successful. And what I saw down the stretched him. The team wanted it bad. They were hungry, they were eager to do whatever it took to win. They were selfless. That is what I'm oppressed about the team. That is what really stirs me up when you see a team that's got all these advantages that may seem but the team went down to its bare root minimum and they got after it as a unit and that's why they won. It's hey, success that's all put out there, that's not utilized correctly doesn't matter. These guys put it together and they played for everybody else and that's why they're champions of the world.
Speaker 1: It may not seem like a big thing, but it starts at the beginning with Mookie Betts getting hurt. It's Freddie Freeman going through what he did this season. It's Max Munsey having an up and down season. It's a guy like Shohil Tani. From spring training, we knew that half of his game wasn't even going to be available this year in pitching, he was going to be solely a designated hitter. How would that affect him? Would he be able to produce? Would he still be as a dominant threat as he is as a two way player? The ups and downs of the young players, the necessity of having to go out and acquire guys to fill gaps throughout the season. Guys like Calvin Bigio who were here for a few weeks because the Dodgers needed help, and shortstop Nika med was here for a few weeks with the Dodgers. He played for I think every team in the NL West this season, helping it out during injuries. Of the course of a twenty twenty four season, it's guys like that. It's Ryan Yarborough who is with this team and then dfade midway through this season. It's a Dodgers collective group, and Dave Roberts gets this group together at spring training and says, you know what, look at everybody in this room. There's forty plus guys here, non roster on VID's everybody in the forty men roster, young guys, old guys, and everybody in between. All of you were going to play a part of this run during the regular season. It's not twenty six guys that break camp and opening day. This is it. We're stuck with. These twenty six guys will never change it throughout the year. I mean, I have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure the twenty six man roster they broke up with and went to Soul, South Korea with looks a lot different than the twenty six man roster that just played Game five last night in the world.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, things happened throughout the course of the season that you can't predict, and that's why you have a forty man roster. All those guys, most of them are going to play a role. Absolutely right about that. But I thought one defining moment in this year is when the team had a meeting and they were talking about Max Munsey was talking about it to David vassaying what the team did. They threw everything else to the side. They asked their family to give them a little bit of leeway here, and we're gonna make a statement. We're gonna make a commitment. We're gonna step over the line and commit it to this. They were together all the you know, all those hours throughout the day and they just had some team unity, playing ping pong, whatever it is, telling jokes, but just being together all on the same page. That to me might have been a defining moment for this for this organization.
Speaker 1: It was huge because that's buy in. That's Landing Knack all the way up to Shoeo Tani and everybody in between saying okay, I'm in. You know, it has to take everybody. One superstar says why, I'm sure I'm gonna getting paid. I'm here, I'm doing my thing, I'm gonna produce. I'm not all about this raw ros stuff, and everybody has to buy in. And they did. It's because they all wanted to win. But you know what, they all wanted to win for different reasons, Saxy, and that's important. You've got the group who's been here, the core that's been here since seventeen, in eighteen and winning in twenty twenty during COVID and having to hear for the last three plus seasons going into this postseason. You know that was a shortened season. You know that's an asterisk next to that. Doesn't matter dad to hear it, though, And guys like Max Munsey last night even said, Hey, we don't have to hear that anymore. I don't have to hear people commenting about, oh, you wanted a shortened season. Try winning in one hundred and sixty two well game season. So those guys had that they had to overcome and wanted to win a World Series four. Then you had guys like show he Otani who's never even tasted October. You've got veterans on this team that have never won a championship before, to let alone been this close to doing it. I got like Taoscar Hernandez, who bet on himself this year. Yeah, the one year deal to go out and to prove to everybody else in baseball that he wasn't a guy that you know, shouldn't be considered an elite player and shouldn't be paid like it.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get paid like it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You know, you have all these different different reasons for these guys wanting to win a championship, and you put it all together collectively, and they came together for a three and a half week run that was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Taoskar, Not only is he going to get paid because he showed it offensively, Hey, he showed it defensively too. How about the throat to nail Stanton? He was outstanding. So this is a this is a top quality player. Plays a little bit under the radar. But but man, is he a good thirty three jacks right at one hundred RBIs stellar defense? Oh yeah, he's gonna be right there. I'll tell you another thing. You know they're talking about, well, you know we don't have to answer questions about this, you know, a strike shortened year or it was COVID or whatever it may be. I mean, you know we heard that back back in eighty one too. You know it was two seasons and whatever. So I'll tell you what the best, the best barometer you can get for how good this team is, ask the Yankees. I haven't seen any video or any tape about it, but I'll bet you those guys over there saying they're just marveling at how good the team is. I'll bet they're saying this is an incredible team that we faced. I hadn't, like I said, I haven't seen any video on it, but I'll bet you that's what they're saying. And lastly, when we talked about the togetherness that the team really, you know, put a stamp on for this club can pro I can guarantee you this, Dave I wasn't in the locker like David Vasse, but I'll tell you that was player driven. That was nothing to do with the manager. I can promise you the manager never came up to you know, Mookie Betts or one of the guys, Freddy or one of the guys on the team and say, hey, tell you what, why don't you do this thing and get the players together and and and just really make a statement and try to get this together and this, you know, with a foot forward in that direction. I can promise you that none of them that happened. This was all about the players doing it. And that's what you talk about leadership on a team. That is leadership. You know, I don't care what you say, let me see what you do. And that's what the Dodgers had done.
Speaker 1: He is Steve sax Iam, Tim Kats This is Saxon Kates in the AAM. We've been with you all month of October during the Dodgers playoff runs. Sometimes it's a week long show, sometimes it's a two day show. But this month here in twenty twenty four, we have been along during this journey, from the NLDS against the Padres in five games, to the NLCS and beating the New York Mets, and now a five game World Series for the Dodgers, beating the Yankees last night seven to six in the Bronx. And we want you to be a part of it. This morning, Dodger fans, we want you to help celebrate this World Series Championship eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy. Tomorrow there'll be a parade here in the city of Los Angeles, and we'll have it for you right here on your home of the World Series Champion Dodgers AFI seven y LA Sports. All the details have been posted. It starts at eleven am. The parade itself will last about forty five minutes to an hour. It will start at Gloria Molina Grand Park in front of the City Hall on Spring Street. It will then head them down First Street to Grand and then head to Grand to Fifth Street at Indian at Fifth and Flower Street. It is about one mile long and it's again supposed to take it between forty five minutes and an hour. And then after that there'll be a ticketed celebration for fans at Dodger Stadium beginning after twelve o'clock. Whi's a big ceremony there, food, merchandise available for purchase, and you'll be able to watch the parade and the coverage on the Dodger Vision scoreboard, so they encourage you. You're either gonna go to one or the other, and not everybody's gonna be able to get into Dodger Stadium because it's a ticketed celebration, So those who can't, you're gonna be able to go along the parade route for that one mile and celebrate and see all your favorite Dodger players close up as they go by in double decker buses, show Aotani to Will Smith, to Mookie Betts and everybody in between. You will be out there celebrating this championship. To morrow again, we'll have all the parade covers beginning at nine thirty am tomorrow morning. But this morning here on our final edition here in twenty twenty four of sax and Kates in the Am. It's us and you taking your phone call. I checked in. I went to bed last night like it to something, and last time I looked at my phone and the last correspondence I had with David Vassy he said they were getting ready to take off, and he said, I'll check in with you and Saxy once we land about seven or eight o'clock this morning. So the team is in Root right now. They don't land for about another hour and a half or so roughly, depending on when they actually land, and then it'll be a fun day for them to relax, and then tomorrow will be a party for everybody here in southern California with the parade, Saxony, you remember your parade in nineteen eighty eight, right, You mentioned how everybody was sick during that parade.
Speaker 3: But well worth it, you know, you let your defenses down after all that stress, and it's gonna happen. But it was it was just a magic time. You'll never forget it. I remember having my two little kids on the parade and it was just a magic time, you know, to bring your family up there and it was so much fun. Never forget it. It's indelible, it's on your spirit and it's a great thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we mentioned, you know, the reasons why a lot of these guys wanted this championship so bad in that group that won in twenty twenty. Yeah, yeah, they wanted to shake that hole. Well it wasn't a full season talk. But also they want a parade. They got gypped in twenty twenty. They didn't get a parade because of COVID. Yes, Kershaw, Muncie, Mookie Bets, Austin Barnes, Will Smith, that whole crew didn't get to have a parade through the streets of LA. They don't know what it is like. They won a championship, flew back and then all dispersed because of COVID.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is tough. I mean, what are the chances of that happening, you know once in one hundred years. Right, that's tough thing. But you know what, it's all better now because they're gonna get a chance to celebrate this one. And you know what, it was so great to just how about the enthusiasm when you see these guys when they i mean, the gloves come off, the hat goes up. I mean they got to have you know, ten or twelve people are out there, you know, gathering that stuff up, right, because I'm sure there's poachers out there that would love to run up there and grab that. I mean, what's a Freddie Freeman glove worth? You know at winning the World Series. I mean, there's a lot of guys are probably targeting that thing. Oh but you know, it was really great. I don't think those two chumps down the right field line got to see this history happened. How about that?
Speaker 1: I love it. They didn't get a chance to be in there. I wish they kind of were to get in a front row seat there to watch Mookie Bets throw his glove up in the air and celebrate running in piling there in the middle of the field in the Bronx You mentioned the celebration. Was kind of fun to see Will Smith put the ball in his back pocket because that's always something you hear about what happened to the baseball. Yeah, and MLB had a behind the scenes on their social media. It was really cool. The authenticator that has all the stickers and writes everything down and authenticates all the memorabilia. When things happen fifty to fifty ball for showing all that kind of stuff. Well, they want to authentic date the baseball the final lot of the World Series, and so they followed this guy around. As soon as the last out happens, he pops out of the dugout and he sprints out to Will Smith and he's yelling at Will Smith. Well, well, well well, and Will Smith is celebrating, and the ball is in his back pocket, you can see it clearly, and so he asked Will for the ball. Will doesn't really want to give it up, but does hands it over, throws a sticker on it real quick, authenticates it, writes it down, puts the number, everything, and then Will puts it right back in his pocket. He says, this is going to Walker Bueller. Ah nice, Yeah, that's great, good for him. So happy for Walker Bueller. Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Hey, how much has his stock shot forward just in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: It's like watching my doge coin just kind of go up and up and up.
Speaker 3: It's going to too. Hey. I hope, I hope the Dodgers sign him. This guy really is the heartbeat of the team. He is a great example of what's great about baseball, everything that he had to overcome, the two surgeries, you know, the doubts that people had, the stick to itiveness that he had throughout the course of the year to stay on it and just never give up one bit and then have the tenacity to come out there and ask for the baseball to come out there and shut this thing down. Was that curveball absolutely wicked last night? I mean, that is a great That is an unbelievable piece of work that he's putting out there with that curveball.
Speaker 1: That thing is absolutely filthy. Let's hear from Walker Bueller. It's brief, it's short, it's Walker bueller esque. It's David Vassey with the man who closed out the World Series last night, Walker Bueller inside the Dodger Clubhouse last night, Walker freaking Bueller.
Speaker 4: This is what legends are made of.
Speaker 1: Walker. When did you know you were going to the bullpen win the sixth?
Speaker 3: I think I told Doc, if you need alday out.
Speaker 4: There, what does it mean to you to come through when the team needed you the most?
Speaker 1: Every day? Man, I thought I was gonna.
Speaker 4: Get released off this. I don't think you're gonna get released now.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to enjoy.
Speaker 5: This see you later.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's great.
Speaker 1: That's Walker Bueller in a nutshell, just wants to have a good time, celebrate with his teammates. And oh man, I love the rottenness there. And he said, I don't even know if I was gonna be on this team.
Speaker 3: I thought it was gonna be released this something team. But hey, that's okay, that's okay, that's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean, hey, I'm not gonna put things in people's minds. They already know a lot more about this than I do. But if I'm this team, I'm gonna sign that dude. I'm gonna get him. Hopefully he doesn't go and sprint out in the free agent market, but I'm sure he's gonna explore. But that guy, you got to have him on your team. I mean, you need guys like that. They just don't print out guys like this at the in the baseball machine. All right, this guy is special, and you know what, he's thirty years old, he's got the great makeup. Right now, he's got a new arm. There's not a lot of mileage on Walker Bueller's arm right now. They rebuilt it twice, So you know what, it's it's maybe he's twenty six right now, because that's a new arm. I'm going out there and I'm gonna just stack it up for him.
Speaker 1: I remember having a conversation with somebody a few days ago, and I think there might have been you, Saxony. We were talking about Walker Bueller and his you know, what's what's gonna happen after the season.
Speaker 3: I remember when it happened, when you pick me up and we're making the walk into the studio.
Speaker 1: That's right, And I said, I don't know, maybe two three year deal. I can see him going somewhere. Somebody wanted to have a guy maybe at the front end of the rotation. We've got a name. I mean, he's absolutely boosted the years and the dollar amount up now, no doubt, has put himself up there, you know, and probably I haven't looked at the free agent class yet, but I would have to imagine he's one of the top five pictures. Oh that'll be out there in free agency because you just mentioned it. He's only thirty. Listen, he's a postgame picture. He's got to rebuilt arm.
Speaker 3: And long as he's healthy, long as they can confirm that, there's no and I don't see you see him just he is slinging that ball down in the in the in the bullpen, getting ready to come in. He's holding nothing back, you know, the mental part of it. Oh my okay or not, that's that's gone for sure. But yeah, I'm this this guy. You gotta have him up there at the top of your rotation. He was fantastic last night. Sorry, I'm sorry to buy. I don't want to forget this. But did you hear what he said? I told him I was ready in the sixth Inny. You know you know who else did that? Clayton Kershaw? Yeah, and orl Hrscheiser, remember Orle just walked down there. Yes, he just said I'm going down. He told him down there. They sent me down. He didn't even tell Tommy. He just wins. And that's that's just what walker. It's a same makeup, same same kind of go get it attitude. Right, that's what you need right there, same thing, look, same blueprint as oral, same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not everybody's wired that way. No, not everybody wants the ball. Guys will huddle in the corner.
Speaker 3: Maybe they won't call my name.
Speaker 1: You know, some if you're a failure.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I don't see Walker Buehler with that. He's gonna let me have it, man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It was a beautiful thing to see that. They David Vasse tweeted it out once he saw him make the walk out there, and people started getting pumped up, started thinking, Okay, if the Dodgers can come back here, all right, Okay, they tied the game, all right, all right, they're down six to five. Oh they take the lead. Okay, Dodgers come all the way back and beat the Yankees last night, down five to nothing, they win it seven to six. They celebrate on the field in the Bronx, and they win their eighth World Series championship. And the party has been going on all night here in southern California for the most part, safe for the most part. And they'll parade. It'll happen tomorrow. It'll continue all weekend long, and we'll have to pray for you tomorrow right here on I seventy LA Sports. Your phone calls coming up all morning long. We want to celebrate with you, Dodger fans. Where were you last night? Who were you celebrating with? What does this mean to you as a Dodger fan to see them fly back home with that hardware on the plane and come back as World's Series champions. He is Steve Sacks, I'm Tim Kates. It's Sax and Kates and a and here on your World Series Champion, Los Angeles Dodger Station, m FI seventy I Sports. All the Dodgers do is win, win, win, divisions, pennants, and now they're eighth World Series Championship, defeating the New York Yankees in five games with a seventy six win last night in the Bronx. Tim Kats along with Steve Sacks here on AM five seventy LA Sports, You're a home of the World Series Champion LA Dodgers. And the Dodgers will have a parade tomorrow through downtown LA and then a celebration at Dodgers Stadium, all presented by Yamavah and it begins right here on MFI seventy LA Sports at nine thirty in the morning. The parade will start at eleven am. It'll go a little more than a mile through downtown starting at City Hall, and then they will head to Dodger Stadium for a celebration. A ticketed celebration for fans beginning sometime afternoon. They'll have merchandise and food for sale at Dodger Stadium for those who are in attendance. Absolutely wild, Saxey. I'm gonna just cards on the table. Full disclosure here. I may or may have not started sending text messages out last night about the third or fourth inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe to you. Yeah, I got one, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I sent them to David Vasse. I sent them to different people, saying, hey, game six on Friday, this is the plan, this is what we're doing as a station. I made a comment to you, it's gonna be a fun show tomorrow. I met that sarcastically, and as it turns out, maybe I was right. It's gonna be a fun show this morning, Saxony, it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be best exactly right. Yeah, you were talking about you win Pennants World Championships. You forgot people's hearts.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah. People are emotional about this, this this series win over the Yankees. I think, you know the I don't know. There's so many reasons for it, but I think the ups and downs of this season, the expectations of winning the championship, and I think for a lot of Dodger fans, they felt like a lot of players did that. We're here in twenty twenty. They didn't get their respect for winning that championship in the bubble. They didn't get their respect because it was a sixty six game season. They didn't get the respect because they did it down in Arlington and I'd have to travel and play actual road games or get home games. They were on a neutral site down to the Rangers Park there in Arlington. For all those reasons. I think Dodger fans sort of feel the same way, like, hey, this is a load off our shoulders. We can finally boast now that our team is championed and we did it outside of a shortened season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, anything can happen in a seven game series. We all know that, no question about it. And no absolute disrespect to the Yankees. This was a phenomenal team with a great organization all that, but Padres maybe the toughest opponent.
Speaker 1: Oh for them, absolutely hundred percent. Yeah, that series was off the charts. I mean we talked about the beginning. I mean, what's you know, looking ahead and projecting out what could possibly happen? Then this might be the toughest one right now, getting out of the gate with the Padres, that team was stacked. Yeah. We talked about to be a letdown against the Mets after the emotional five game series winning the NLDS and coming back and beating the Padres. Nope, they checked that box. They beat the Meds and then the Yankees. Yeah, as you mentioned, kind of felt like I have all the three teams they faced in October, they were the third best behind the Meds and then then be course behind the Padres there as well.
Speaker 3: No no letdown though with the team. The team. You know that this is just what I admire about this team so much. I can't say it enough. Is is none of that mattered to them. It was it was the professional attitude. It was the you know, the work ethic and together it's all that stuff that that you just don't naturally get. I mean sometimes it just doesn't gel that way. Everything gelled with this team. It was all about the other guy, and that's what makes winners. I mean, they bring other people with them. They don't go by themselves. They want to bring everybody with them. And when you get excited about somebody else doing something great, who there's some magic can happen with that, and that's what this team had.
Speaker 1: You know, last night early on, Jack Flaherty didn't have it. The Dodgers' offense struggled against Garrett Cole. But you say it all the time. Put the ball in play, make the defense have to make plays. Put the pressure on them. Yeah, and that's what happened. In that fifth inning. Aaron Judge misplays a ball in center field that cracks open the door for the Dodgers. Anthony Volpi a ball hit to his right side. Nine times out of ten, he makes a clean throw over to Chisholm at third for the force out. But the one time he doesn't last night, he won hops Chisholm, who can't make the clean pick comes off. The base runners safe at third. That opens the door for the Dodgers. Mookie Betts hits the ball off a Q shot off the end of the bat goes to Anthony Rizzo, who doesn't charge the ball, waits for it, and Garrett Cole thinks he's just gonna take it himself to the bag. He stops. How about that midway between the mount and first they're looking at each other. Meanwhile, run scores and bases are loaded again as Mooky safe. At first, things had to go right for them, and they did exactly right.
Speaker 3: And you know, that's what happens when when you win a game like that, you have some things you can't even see, you know, like we talked about you and I talked about this off the aras. There's a lot of things, many things are gonna happen in this game that we can't even you know, look at, look at and predict, and so many little nuances about this game. And that's what just makes it absolutely beautiful. And that's what happened in this game. You have Aaron Judges dropping a ball, Like you said, all those miscues, they gave the Dodgers six outs in that inning. You can't give a juggernaut, an offensive, absolutely behemoth, six outs in an inning and expect that you're gonna come back and cap those guys off. It's not gonna happen. They're gonna score runs. And that's exactly what happened that inning.
Speaker 1: No, they opened the door, Dodgers took full advantage of it. Nihly did get some help to start the scoring, but then Freddie Freeman delivered with a two run single and then you get to Oscar Hernandez, who hits the ball off the wall in center field to score two. More So they did their part delivering with big hits. I'm gonna ask you kind of a dumb question, and I don't know if you know the answer or not. I know the answer because Rick Monday mentioned it last night. By the way, you have many airs during the regular season, Aaron Judge had.
Speaker 3: Not very many, and I would boast out there big time. He should probably be a strong consideration for go glove in centerfield.
Speaker 1: He had zero airs in twenty twenty four. Wow, he had one air in twenty twenty three. He had zero airs in the outfield in center field, left and right. Having played all three positions for the Yankees, mostly in centerfield, he had zero airs the entire regular season, and come Game five of the World Series, he boxes a ball in center field misplaying it.
Speaker 3: Now, is Aaron Judge going to be the goal glover in centerfield? I mean, I don't want to scan the rollodacks and see who else is out there, but that guy, I always say so underrated defensively. I mean, you saw the play he made in left center field where he almost tore down the wall right the guy. The guy is so underrated. He's so mechanically really really good. And that's why I'm saying in the other games before this game, why is he catching the ball quickly and throwing it in. It's a little bit not like him. He's two handed. He's absolutely for sure going to catch the ball with two hands. He's very mechanically sound. You see when he catches the ball in the outfield, he always hits the cutoff man. He's straight over the top. He throws a four seam fastball to the cutoff guy. He's always throw into the right base, great routes in the outfield, and I just just catch and throw real quick. That's why he dropped that ball, my friend, he took his eye off at the very last millisecond and that caused the air and open the floor gates. Very unlikely with Aaron Judge to see him do this.
Speaker 1: We'll get to your phone calls in just one second. But you asked a question about Gold Glove finalist in twenty twenty four in left field in the American League. Yep. Alex Ridugo is one of three finalists. Okay, in right field in the American League for gold glove. Juan Soto is a finalist. That's a joke right there. For a gold glove. That is a freaking joke. Yes, I said it. That guy is a well below average, well below average right fielder. Go ahead in center field for the American League. Your three finalists Dalton Varshow of the Blue Jays, Jake Myers of the Astros yep, and you mentioned him, Jared Durant of the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jared Durant can go get it, Okay, I get that guy's legit. You don't put Aaron Judge out there. No, that's sick.
Speaker 1: Not one of the three final sodo out there? Yeah, okay for Dugo and soda or finalist for gold gloves and Aaron Judge is not in. Just goes to what we talked about a couple of days ago. Freddie Freeman's not a goal glove.
Speaker 3: Final that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, I don't know who's to sign this stuff, but they need to be re examined. I will tell you this.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this a lot of times when the gold glove stuff, it's that has to do with hitting two. I mean, you can't get better than Aaron Judge. But how is Soto out there for a finalist? He's he's well below average outfielder, doesn't run well, doesn't throw well. He is not even close to a five tool player. He can hit, he can hit, he's got pop, and he knows the strike zone. He knows that he can draw the walks. He's a legitimate hitter, much better hitter in Yankee Stadium with the short porch. Legit, no question, legit outfielder, way below average. I put him in the twenty percentile.
Speaker 1: Joe Odell, the Angels Wiler a bray you of the Red Sox is a finalist. He actually led outfielders with eighteen defensive run saved drs.
Speaker 3: I see these guys in the Red Sox play because my nephew on the team. And yeah, so I see that.
Speaker 1: I get that question because he's got ten outfield des cists.
Speaker 3: So because he doesn't play deep, I don't know, you know, he's he's not not in my book, that.
Speaker 1: Scratcher, absolute scratcher, scratch. Would you think he's not a he's not a Gold Glove outfielder. Hell no, I mean, on the biggest stage of the World Series.
Speaker 3: You think four after the ball in the bow territory when you know when uh, you know they're going to get it with you know.
Speaker 1: Down the line, So down the line, I mean, did you see that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't make it ear because he doesn't get to anything. That's why.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to the phones. It's gonna be you and us all morning long this morning as we celebrate Los Angeles a twenty twenty four World Series championship. Oscar Baldwin Park. Start things off here on this Halloween morning on scam. How you doing, Oscar, mister Tomie Case one of DS, well, doc Jers, we did it? Whoa, well yeah, did you just celebrate last night, Oscar?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, yeah with the family. You know, everybody was happy, happy for the city, everybody, all the familiars out there, everybody. It's a good time right now. Man, good good, good time. A couple of seats on the game that but that come back in that fifth and it was man, Man ninety percent of the playoffs I hurt on the radio, gentlemen, So thank you for the good putting it out there. So heard that and it was man. Then after that we're ce sex ut burd I haven't seen it, ton nobody. The only thing I remember the eighty eight World Series was a clinching game. I was only six years old. I believe I remember the kitching guy. I remember Arl Herscheizer clothing it out, straking our social running from on the mountain. That's exactly what Builer reminded me of last night. Man, same thing came out in nineteen he got him mount and boom, we got it, man, we got it. So, you know, just just it was. You know, I'm happy for everybody's beautiful day. And hey, I'm hoping looking back to you guys next year.
Speaker 1: We're talking about a bat bo a Oscar. Let's do it. Yeah, the roster is gonna be intact. They're gonna add some pieces, you know. Andrew Freeman Brandon Gomes have already talked about it on the flight home from New York overnight, about what they're gonna do going into twenty twenty five, and thinking about all the players that are coming back from injuries, all the arms that are coming back from injuries, including an arm on show Heo Tani that should be good to go in twenty twenty five. It's scary. They've got an entire starting rotation injured right now that you can just take and drop in next year and it'll be good to go.
Speaker 3: Plunk.
Speaker 1: Yep. That unbelievable.
Speaker 3: What about May What do you think is gonna happen with him? Is he gonna be ready to go? This guy's got more talent, but just can't get off the can't get out.
Speaker 1: Of the tub. Yeah, he can't get off the injured list. Arm injury after arm injury, and then he had an esophagus injury that slowed things down. I hope he can get right. I hope he can get healthy and stay healthy. Yeah, because he's still young. He's still got an electric arm when healthy. I don't think his role necessarily moving forward, Sacksy is as a starter.
Speaker 3: Maybe the pen, Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 1: That Josh Hater roll a close out, you know, a reliever for them. They can come in and get you three outs, throw one hundred and one. They have guys off balance with that nasty curves and sweeper that he throws, like.
Speaker 3: What Trion does. Yeah, yep, exactly.
Speaker 1: By the way, I saw the Daniel Hudson after the game last night announced he's retiring. Wow, he has done that. He can't go through one hundred and sixty two game season anymore. And okay, you know what for him, he's been through a lot. He's a double Tommy John surgery guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had him at Arizona when I was there. Oh he did you really?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 3: Great guy. Oh, he's a he's a he's an animal. And that's a compliment. You know, he'll be You could be in the foxhole with him. That that dude's go get her. Oh yeah, all man, that's all man right there. I mean, he's thirty seven years old. He'll be thirty eight for Opening Day next year, will probably you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely what a World Series in nineteen with the Nationals closing it out, and like I said, he just he's battled injuries the last couple of years to hit him and Blake trying hard. He had a great career, absolutely great career. He caps it off with the World Series victory. Absolutely good. Good for him. No better time to go out than on top. That's it, you know, World Series champion. The exhaustion of a lot of the season, and uh, to say good night to a career is a is a wonderful thing for him. Fred in LA is next on here with Sax and Kates and the am Fred. Where'd you party last night? How'd you watch them? Listen to the game?
Speaker 5: I parted at home?
Speaker 6: Tim, Good morning, Sax, Good morning for I'm actually at I'm actually working. My brother called you guys yesterday the bullpen was going to show up. It was a marshity buffit to put this thing to sleep. So I just want to say congratulations Dodgers. Let's get Tim ring. Yeah, and I gotta go back. I gotta go back to work because we got to work for the cities, So I gotta prep this parade route.
Speaker 1: So to work right off. Enjoy that's fun, Fred, appreciate it. Yeah, get those streets ready, Fred, that's it. Let's get ready for a parade tomorrow and you'll be able to hear it right here on a five seventy LA Sports Beginning A. Nine to thirty in the morning is when our coverage starts. The parade starts at eleven am at City Hall in downtown, will go down Spring Streets A First Street, down Grand over to Fifth and Flower. The players will then head to Dodger Stadium for a ticketed celebration. But whether you get into Dodger Stadium or not, you can line up the streets of downtown and see your favorite Dodger players go by as they celebrate a twenty twenty four World Series championship. Steve Sacks, Tim Kaits and you on this Halloween morning, No trick, no treat, just the truth. A celebratory morning here in southern California, as the Dodgers are bringing home a World Series championship. Thanks you being with it. To Saya FY seventy LA Sports. The city of La has another championship, the eighth in the history of the franchise of the Dodgers, the second of the last four years, as the Dodgers beat the New York Yankees last night, winning Game five of the World Series seven to six and bringing home the hardware at a celebration tomorrow with the Dodgers Championship Parade. We'll have the coverage beginning a nine to thirty right here on AFI seventy LA Sports. The parade itself will start at Gloria Molina Grand Park in front of City Hall on Spring Street will kick off the parade. Then we'll make its way down First Street March four blocks to Grand Avenue, From there, the parade heads to Fifth Street and ends at Fifth in Flour and then the players will head to Dodger Stadium for a ticket a celebration for fans that will schedule sometime after twelve o'clock tomorrow afternoon. You can go to the parade route, you can try to get tickets for this event at Dodger Stadium, or you can just sit back and enjoy it right here on AMFI seventy LA Sports pent in part by Budweiser. This buds for you. The Dodgers now celebrate a World Series championship. And for a lot of folks, the uh talk was have been all about Dave Roberts Zaxy and well, Dave Roberts blamed him for this. Let's bring him blame him for that. Dave Roberts can't get over this hurdle. Dave Roberts is the reason why they lost to the Diamondbacks last year. Dave Roberts was the reason why they lost to the Padres two years ago. He can put all that behind him now. Dave Roberts is a two time World Series Championship manager. How about that?
Speaker 3: And on his way to the Hall of Fame. Most likely so you know, now you've got a guy that's desined for the Hall of Fame, and you're gonna think about what's his fault? Look, I mean this is this these games and and all these playoffs are they're so subjective. Anything can happen. Look, look, if you're the Yankee standpoint, Aaron Judge drops a fly ball, how can you predict that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You just don't know? Is that Aaron Boone's fault? Absolutely not? No, Okay, so you can't blame Aaron Boone for that? Are you gonna blame I mean, do you think Vulpe should have gone to second on that play?
Speaker 1: To his right?
Speaker 3: Well maybe it depends on the jump. I'm not I couldn't see the jump from the runner at first. But but are you gonna you know, you're gonna blame Aaron Boone because Vulpe, you know, throw it in the in the ground. I mean, you can't, but we're gonna gonna happen.
Speaker 1: We're gonna blame Aaron Boone though for Anthony Rizzo not getting the first in time though, right, well.
Speaker 3: You know what that's now, that's that's still a Rizzo thing. I mean, I don't get that was the ball cute, it looked like it might have been cute was and and Rizzo, Rizzo is a great defender at first base too. He he kind of, you know, let the ball come back on him. He backed up on the ball. I mean, Garrett Cole was going to first base, just like in spring trending when they do PfP pitchers fielding practice, like he's supposed to. And then for some reason he backed off, and he backed off at the same time that Rizzo backed up, and it was a perfect storm that that that just nailed him. He backed off when Rizzo was backing up and there was nobody at first base, and that, I mean because the ball was cued in that perfect situation. Yeah, can you blame Aaron Boone for that? No, It's just that the way it goes. And you know, I'm glad that, you know, people are saying, well, you know, and you know, finally Dave, you know, Dave Robert gets his Dave Roberts gets his due and whatnot. You know what, he had his due along before that. He's a really good manager. And I'm finally glad that people kind of back off him, you know. And is he different now that he won the world. No, same guy he was years ago. It's just now he doesn't have to worry about that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right yep. Nine years as Dodger manager, nine playoff appearances, eight divisional titles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, who can do that?
Speaker 1: Four pennants in the National League, and now two World Series championships and here he is last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who wants a parade?
Speaker 1: Urki?
Speaker 4: I'm just so first and foremost, I thank god.
Speaker 1: I think my.
Speaker 4: Players, their families, the coaching staff, training staff, ownership, scouting, player development, as Andrews said, the fingerprints on Dodger Nation. This trophy belongs to everybody, Dave.
Speaker 7: This team's so resilient, obviously, the incredible winning game one. You're down five to nothing in this game. How unbelievable was it to watch your guys keep fighting back?
Speaker 4: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: We had a great season, went to a lot of adversity. A lot of people counted us out. But every single one of these guys, and a lot of people that aren't here with us on this stage made it impack. And these guys believed in one another. Even when we were down five to nothing, they persevered and kept fighting. And now we're world champions.
Speaker 7: There you are, Dave one last one about this game, specifically big moment.
Speaker 1: There were so many.
Speaker 7: But you go out to the mound in the eighth and you talk to Blake trying it and you leave him in the game. Tell us about that conversation and why you.
Speaker 3: Left him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to look in Blake's eyes. Blake's our guy, Blake's been our guy. I just wanted to slow the game down a little bit. I looked in his eyes. I said, how you feeling? How much more you got? He said, I wanted?
Speaker 7: I trusted him World champs Hounds.
Speaker 1: That sound Dave, Oh my what chump? Yeah it's Dave Roberts. Game was beautiful.
Speaker 3: You can't say it any better than that. I looked in his eyes, he said, I want it, and I trusted him. That's what it's about right there. That says everything about the unity of this club.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's called managing right there, going out asking your guy how he feels, getting the answer you want to hear? You got it all right? Hang on, let me get into the saber metrics file and look this up. Oh, it says that he's not supposed to be there.
Speaker 3: Well, he went out there, pounded on his chest, looked him in the eye, and there was his answer. The guy says, I want it, and that's why he left him in. I'll tell you what, there's no numbers that's going to read that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt it. Let's go to Ronnie on the one ten freeway. Ronnie, thanks for being patient. Good morning, Ronnie, Good morning her.
Speaker 5: Are you guys doing fantastic Halloween morning?
Speaker 1: Doing great? How did you celebrate last night? How excited are you though? Dodgers won a game.
Speaker 5: All about the La Kings game and they were playing it on the big screens.
Speaker 1: Oh, very cool. Yeah, I saw the highlights that they put it on the big screen after the Dodgers won. That was exciting.
Speaker 5: No, we watched it side by the side with the game the whole time.
Speaker 3: Nice, very cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks for checking in, Ronnie, Sure, thank you.
Speaker 5: We're both series champions.
Speaker 1: YEP.
Speaker 3: I just gonna ask her about, you know what she thought about when Dave Roberts came out. There were I mean some people were probably yelling take him out, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I was, cause usually when Mark Pryor comes down the pitching coach.
Speaker 3: Oh, hang on boom.
Speaker 1: Usually when Mark Pryor comes out, that means a talk with the pitcher and he's not taking him out Anytime Dave Roberts comes out to get to the mound, that means he's making a pitching chain. So when he came out off those steps, I thought he was going to the pen. Yeah, but he didn't have a lot of options down there in the pen.
Speaker 3: No, he didn't.
Speaker 1: They had the guys who had pitched the night before. In Walker Bueller, he.
Speaker 3: Got some stud nearing Walker that says, uh, I can enter the game.
Speaker 1: Oh what a beautiful thing it was.
Speaker 3: What a curveball he had last night.
Speaker 1: My Lord Walker Bueller raising his hand, wants to be a part of it, comes in and closes it out, and the Dodgers are your twenty twenty four World Series champions. Your phone calls all next hour, all rest of the show. Thanks for being with us. We're celebrating on this Thursday morning, this Halloween morning, Tim Kats, Steve Sacks and you on your home of the twenty twenty four World Series Champion, LA Dodgers Anti seventy l A Sports