Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and kost HT two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: I got really good as Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Thursday, April seventeenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Wherever you're tuning in this morning, we appreciate it. Have you been watching the Eglitz? I know that we haven't talked about them much, but they're still there. And I check and there's still tens of thousands of people watching our little eagles. Sonny and Gizmo called the little one Rocky. And I was watching comments yesterday because they have during the live stream, they take comments sometimes and this one lady goes, oh my god, Sunny's bigger than my Pomeranian. They're getting really big, and right now you can't see him because they're in for a camera's broke. But if you get a chance, not a nice it's not a bad way to kind of spend the afternoon. I had my brother over for dinner over the weekend, and so I just turned it on on my TV. So I was watching it and I was like, this is actually the size that they almost are. In fact, it they're still probably bigger, but watching them just sitting there on the big screen was kind of cool. Okay, medium string. I don't have a big screen. I have a medium screen TV. Also, I want to let you know I'm walking wounded today. I think I broke my finger. I'm not sure. I know cono well, I don't know that it's broken. It is swollen, but it's not black and blue yet, and I can move it. So but I tripped last night going up some stairs and just jam the crap out of it. So it's really hard to type the morning. I'm telling you it's a new experience in pain. But we'll get through it together. Right, Okay, let's get going. We got a lot going on. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. Eric and lyleman Endez are expected to appear virtually for a two day hearing that gets underway this morning in Van Eys. The judge gonna hear arguments for and against the brother's request to be re sentenced for the murder of their parents in nineteen eighty nine. Da Nathan Hoffman has requested a delay, so we're going to have to wait and see if the judge grants that. Kfi's Michael Monks is there. He's going to be bringing us the latest throughout the day. About seventy students in Orange County have had their student visas revoked by the Trump administration. Attorney General Rob Bonta and nineteen other states attorney general are challenging the administration over student visa revocations. Look Up in the sky, the Lerid meteor shower is underway. The annual celestial display started last night. It'll go through April twenty fifth, says the media. Showers expected to peak next week on April twenty first and twenty second. And all you need to see it is clear weather in a dark sky. So is AI making us dumber? ABC's Jim Ryan's going to join us in about two minutes to tell us. We've been talking about how tariffs are going to affect car sales and lumber and steal, but what about the little guy. We're going to talk to the CEO of Women Business Collaborative at five point twenty to talk about how small businesses could get hit really hard. I've got an Amy's on it out and about mashup for you today at the bottom of the hour, we're headed to the studio at five point fifty. Griffith Park is going high tech for hiking, and we're going to tell you how you can help make our little urban sanctuary even better. As we head towards Earth Day, we're going to be talking with Brenda Reese with friends of Griffith Park. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. A hearing on the re sentencing of the Menendez brothers is set to start this morning. Legal analyst Alison Treesil tells KTLA both sides been going over their arguments for a while now.
Speaker 4: Either Eric and Lyle should be re sentenced or, as the prosecution will surely argue, these two still pose a danger to public safety.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned, kfi's Michael Monks is going to be at the Van Nights Courthouse with complete coverage for US all morning and all afternoon. A man has died after an officer involved shooting at the end of a wild high speed chase in Orange County. This woman lives near where it happened in Anaheim.
Speaker 5: Well, well, so you just here.
Speaker 4: Like what it sounds like gunshots.
Speaker 5: First of we thought it was a car, but then everyone started running off. Soon it was gunshots.
Speaker 1: Police shot the driver last night after disabling his pickup truck with a pit maneuver on a bridge above the Santa Ana River. The Ventura County Sheriff's Office says two of its deputies have been arrested.
Speaker 6: News release issued Wednesday says deputies Anthony Melagon and Dylan Davis were arrested while off duty on March thirtieth. They were allegedly involved in what's being called a domestic incident at a restaurants in Camill.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Daniel Martindale says a security guard who intervened got hurt and had to be taken to the hospital. The Port of La has been ordered to clean up its act.
Speaker 7: A tentative settlement has been reached against the City of La for alleged violations of the Federal Clean Water Act.
Speaker 4: The Port of La.
Speaker 7: Has to improve its management of storm water and groundwater to make sure toxic pollutants stay out of the harbor. The lawsuit brought by La based Environment California last year alleged that there have been more than two thousand illegal discharges of pollution in the previous five years at the port. Deborah mark Koffi News a gray whale.
Speaker 1: Has been freed after its tail became entangled in gill metting in the waters off Rancho Palace Verties. Noah Fisheries officials say the twenty five foot whale got tangled and tethered to a rock crab trap. It had been dragging it along the seafloor from Newport Beach to Rancho Palace Verties for about a week and a half. Half A crew was able to untangle and release the whale that quickly swam away. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, artificial intelligence is here, but do we even know what it can do? And are we using it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 8: Are we afraid of it?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, I still am.
Speaker 8: You've heard of Quinnipiac University, right, that's that Connecticut school and they do surveys on things all year long about different things. Now they've gone out and they've asked over a thousand people around the country. So what do you know about AI and how do you feel about artificial intelligence? Well, betting upon your age. You either accept it, you're okay with it, or you're terrified that it's going to take over the world. The older you are, the more you fall into that latter group. Right, But it also depends not just on your age, but on the task that you're asking AI to do. When it comes to, for example, medical advances, fifty nine percent of Americans think AI will do more good than harm. But if you ask it to screen health insurance claims or screen loan applications or job applications, people are more queasy about it, and they can't support artificial intelligence doing that. They would rather have a person sitting across the desk.
Speaker 1: I would agree with that, like, because I think when you take the human factor out, like you mentioned a resume, someone might look great on a resume, but in person, they're just they're not dynamic, engaging, they can't think on their feet, that kind of stuff. I mean, So it's taking a huge part of the equation out.
Speaker 8: Sure well, or the opposite. You know, somebody isn't that dynamic or is a real go getter, but it doesn't show on paper. Yeah, and AI might kick that person out of the process. Maybe that could be a problem. So yeah, it largely depends upon the job you're asking it to do. More than eight and ten Americans, though, are either very concerned or a little concerned that a I will diminish the ability of people in the youngest generation to think for themselves. In other words, that that were dumbing down the youngest generation, because AI will be doing all the thinking for us.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and that I mean, when you think about it, it's already underway. If you think about like smartphones, we don't remember phone numbers anymore. I know, like three phone numbers. I know my phone number from when I was five years old, but I you know, I don't know my next door neighbor's phone number anymore. And like, think about it, appointments, You put an appointment in your phone and then you forget about it and then it reminds you. Or even driving directions.
Speaker 5: Right, that's a big one too.
Speaker 8: And you know I used to get around with a map skill, you know, the remember the map books in the back of the car and.
Speaker 1: The Thomas guides. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 8: But at the same time, somebody suggested earlier today to me that you know, every piece of technology that comes along is going to destroy civilization. AI included, right, but think back to the Abbacus thousands of years ago. Suddenly people were freaking out. You don't have to learn math anymore because you've got this this row of this column of bars with beads on it. You're going to use this instead of thinking, come on and.
Speaker 1: Look at us thinking, well, you know, now we've got our I.
Speaker 8: Take it back.
Speaker 5: We did ruin us with ourselves, with the advocates.
Speaker 1: So here's the thought though, if we if we use a I, will we get worse? Or could we use AI to help make us smarter?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: And I think that's that's one possibility, and where you can learn it as use it as a learning tool. Absolutely, So while AI is teaching itself and learning, it can also be teaching you whatever it is you want to know and doing so kind of a personal way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think you're right. I mean, like I'm so worried about it, and I know that I use it because like when I Google something now and it'll say AI generated response. But you got to be careful because a lot of times it's wrong.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 8: So found out yesterday.
Speaker 1: I still needs us, We're still necessary.
Speaker 5: Jim, Thank Evid.
Speaker 1: All right. ABC's Jim Ryan always necessary on wake up call. Thanks for joining us today. Thanks Bhabe, all right, We'll talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Trump administration is facing possible contempt charges over two deportation flights to El Salvador. ABC's Nicole Antonio says the flights continued after a federal judge ordered they be turned around.
Speaker 7: Judge James Sposburg saying the administration displayed a wilful disregard for his order. His investigation could eventually include officials testifying under oath.
Speaker 1: She says. The judge could also appoint an independent lawyer to prosecute the administration. The New York Attorney General, who led and won a civil fraud trial against President Trump Remember That for inflating the value of Israel estate, has now been accused of committing mortgage fraud. Letitia James hasn't been charged, but the case is being referred to the Department of Justice. The complaint says James's falsified records to get sweetheart home loans for a home that she apparently didn't live in the Supreme Court in the UK has ruled the legal definition of a woman is someone born a biological female. ABC's James Longman says the ruling clarifies whether transgender women are protected from discrimination under Britain's equality law.
Speaker 5: JK.
Speaker 10: Rowling and other women like her say we fought for decades for women's rights.
Speaker 1: For feminism, The ruling goes on to say transgender people are still protected against discrimination and harassment. Ford dealers are being told unless the Trump administration changes its tariff's policy, they can expect the price of vehicles to go up. ABC's Dave Packer says Ford has sent a memo out to its dealerships.
Speaker 2: The automaker offered deep discounts across this lineup starting earlier this month through the beginning of June, but the memo making clear that any vehicle that's produced from May on will see a price increase if nothing changes with the.
Speaker 1: Tariffsmo says any Ford cars or trucks ordered now will have a guaranteed price, even if the vehicle isn't produced or delivered until after May. The CEO of a large e commerce company has said AI could maybe do certain jobs better than people.
Speaker 10: The CEO at Shopify has told his managers no new hires unless it can be proven they'll be better than artificial intelligence. Sacramento based CEO of My out Desk, Daniel Ramsey, says that's not the right approach.
Speaker 11: Fear is always the lack of knowledge, so educating people about how it works and how they could use it, and then being encouraging.
Speaker 10: Ramsey's company helps connect businesses to virtual staffing and says AI should be viewed as a tool that existing employees should be introduced to and encouraged to use, not replaced. By Michael Monks, KFI News.
Speaker 1: All about AI this morning. In what could be a major discovery in the search for life beyond Earth, scientists say they've detected unusual gases in the atmosphere of a faraway planet, but University of Cambridge professor Niku Madhasuden says more study is needed.
Speaker 12: We have found signs of biosignature molecules either dms or dmds or both, both of which are produced uniquely by life here on Earth.
Speaker 1: The discovery was made using the James Webb telescope, fresh off in eight to seven win over the Rockies the Dodgers head to the Lone Star State. The Dodgers are taking on the Rangers in Texas tomorrow night. First pitch goes off at goes out at five o'clock. You can listen to every play on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth. You can also stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports La County DA Nathan Hawkman has asked for a delay for today's scheduled resentencing hearing for Eric and Lylemanendez. He says they need time to review a new parole board assessment. The hearing is scheduled to start and Van Nis at nine thirty are Michael Munks to be there covering it all day for US. Three people have been arrested in connection with more than two dozen break ins in North Hollywood between January and March. The LAPD says the three homeless men hit both homes and businesses and apparently told police they did it to pay for their drug habits. Stocks have dropped again following the Federal Reserve chairman saying he expects inflation to rise and economic growth to slow because of tariffs. Speaking of tariffs, let's say good morning to the chief executive officer of the Women Business Collaborative. It's Gwen Rece. Good morning, Gwen A So I'm sorry, it's Gwen.
Speaker 13: Young morning Amy when y no problem, Good morning.
Speaker 1: I'm good. We're talking to Brenda Reese a little bit later, so I just mixed you guys up. So, Gwen, before we get started and jump in and talk about these the tariffs, tell us a little bit about what your organization, Women Business Collaborative does. So we have a frame of reference.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, So we are a co collaborative, which means we have eighty seven organization, sixty seven sponsors, and three hundred individuals that are committed to growing women in business. And related to this conversation, about forty percent of our collaborative is women owned businesses. So we are there to support and grow these businesses and help continue to grow the economy.
Speaker 1: Okay, awesome, So let's talk about tariffs. A lot of focus has been on the car makers and things like lumber and steal. We just had a story about Fords and on a memo to its dealership saying, hey, if the tariffs take hold, prices are going to go up, but as the tariffs take hold. If they do, they could have a huge effect on small businesses. So what kind of things are the small businesses experiencing?
Speaker 13: Well, i'm the small businesses which are about either you know, forty four percent of economic activity and actually have small businesses and all businesses women are about forty percent. You know, what we're seeing is these are math market goods, these are necessities, These are consumers good these are toys, these are clothing, apparel, makeup, and so forth. So it's a really interesting, you know, group of businesses. And these are businesses and have smaller profit margins, right, which means that any disruption in their supplies if they put into their business or their outputs, you know, they just don't have that ability to weather a shock, right, So that means can they pass it on to the consumer? Do they have to shutter? Do they have access to financing? And unlike those those bigger companies, they have less access to financing an opportunity, So they're really being impacted by you know, what may or may not happen in the shifts in what the tariffs are going to be.
Speaker 1: And have they already started to feel the effects. Are we still sort of in a holding pattern since almost everything's been passed, well not China though, but pretty much everything else has been paused for ninety days. But those tariffs are still in place for China. So are people feeling the pinch already?
Speaker 13: They are feeling the pinch already, and they're already starting to you know, advocate, you know, describe what that what that effect looks like. If you're a business that regards on a supply that you would, you know, bring from China. Clothing is one of the biggest thing where the world's biggest importer of clothing, so they're starting to fill at effect. Prices are going up and I need to think it was last week we saw an article that said you can expect prices to raise by ten to twenty five percent right now, and things like toys by about twenty three percent. So the impacts are immediate and it's impacting also, you know, local businesses are people that we're going to start a business because where are you going to get those supplies? Where are you going to find that financing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then even if they can whether the storm, like you said, they've got a lot of decisions to make. I mean like, do they cut hours for their workers, do they increase prices? Do they offer fewer items? So there's a lot of decisions that are going to have to be.
Speaker 13: Made, absolutely, And part of it too is you know, like I said earlier, you know, we get packaging things for packaging manufactured out side of the United States. So if you don't have somewhere to buy that that changes your financials, It changes your investment and money that you need. And women still access only two percent of all available capital. So you're making immediate decisions about what you can do and how you can operate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you mentioned women and I know you work with a women business collaborative. What extra challenges do women owned businesses have?
Speaker 13: Well, I think they say, you know, they say sort of two extra challenges right women owned businesses is one is they don't have the same networks and they are not represented in some of these larger industries at the same rate as men are, which means what they don't have the type of partnerships, they don't have access to capital and finance, and then definitely probably don't have that sort of advocacy power or that flexibility to figure out where to absorb those prices or how they can raise the prices. Plus many are manufacturing, you know, many of our consumer goods and the goods that we use every day, so you know, passing a price long to the consumer really is going to impact their business and what they're going to be able to sell. So they really do facing new challenges.
Speaker 1: Okay, Gwen, is there anything that we wake up call listeners can do to help out the small businesses?
Speaker 13: Well, I think a couple of things. I mean we always say, you know, by local, you know, and that sort of thing, and try to do what we can do. But you know, the advocacy right now is let's get some exemptions for those small businesses. Let's look at the impact on the small businesses, and let's find where big companies you know and local, national, and federal government can support those small businesses. So if we can continue to make that drum week drum beat call for that action and support those small businesses, that's what we can do to help them stay alive.
Speaker 1: Local and small is always good. Gwen Young, the CEO of Women Business Collaborative, Thanks so much for helping kind of sort through this with us today. Go Small Business, Thank.
Speaker 13: Any Goo, Small Business looks people working together, Take Care.
Speaker 1: A new ad campaign has been created to draw more young people to jobs with the LAPD.
Speaker 10: Video features the campaign's branding, unrivaled since eighteen sixty nine.
Speaker 9: Only those who dare who come to appreciate the perseverance and sacrifice the choir.
Speaker 10: LAPD chief Jim McDonald says the department is short more than a thousand officers despite a record number of applications, but they.
Speaker 3: Also apply other places at the same time, and the smaller departments are more nimble and able to offer a job quicker than we have been.
Speaker 10: McDonald says he hopes the new campaign helps create a better image for the department with younger applicants. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A woman who said that she didn't even realize she'd been shot is in critical condition. Police say. The woman says she heard gunfire yesterday morning in El Serena and then realized that she had been hit. She was taken to the hospital to be treated. Even with more funding, a lot of California students still aren't reading at grade level, especially in La County, where fewer than half of third graders are on track. A new report from Families in Schools shows big gaps between wealthier and low income areas, with some districts like Bonita Unified and Garvi Elementary Or seeing success using proven methods like structured literacy and focused support for English learners. The report pushes for more schools to follow their lead, calling literacy a civil rights issue that needs urgent attention. The first ever Universal Studios fan Fest Nights kicks off next week. Steven Serks with Universal Studios tells KFI the event will give fans a chance to celebrate their favorite fandoms at a separate nighttime ticketed event similar to Halloween Horror Nights. FanFest Nights is the ultimate immersive fan experience, and we're celebrating the genres of sci fi, fantasy, gaming, an anime, he says. The immersive fan event will highlight seven fandoms including Star Trek, Dungeons and Dragons, One Piece, Nintendo, and more. It opens on April twenty fifth, with a resentencing hearing for Leola and Eric Menendez scheduled to begin this morning in Van Nuys. A group of parents whose own children were murdered say the brothers should do every day of their life prison sentences. One of the parents is re sentencing would let all murderers know that they have a chance of being released. An aggressive sea lion had to be euthanized after it chased surfers at the wedge in Newport Beach. Video shows several surfers scrambling to paddle back to shore to get away from the sea lion Tuesday. Wildlife officials say it was most likely suffering from demoic acid intoxication from the toxic algae bloom in coastal waters. They said they weren't able to treat it. Coachella organizers say they're making some changes for the second week of Coachella, which gets underway in India tomorrow. Festival producer Golden voices they're adding toll plazas and additional entry points to avoid the ten to twelve hour wait times last weekend just to get into camping areas. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Probable cause exists to hold the Trump administration in contempt. Bet that Bill's gonna have a lot to say about that.
Speaker 11: Amy's on, It's on, It's on it Okay.
Speaker 1: So today's kind of a mashup of Amy's on it and uh out and about because Uh, what we're on is the studio. It's on Apple TV. Uh, it's about halfway through the season. I think they just dropped. The fifth episode is what I watched yesterday, and it stars Seth rogen as the new head of the studio, Matt Remick, and he has to navigate being the head of a studio. And it is an interesting show. I'll tell you it is outlandish. It's irreverent, quick witted, and probably a lot like what it's really like in the studios. I mean, it's just like chaos all the time, and Seth Rogan's always screwing things up and then trying to dig himself out of the hole. And sometimes he can and sometimes he can't. And there's some sweet moments and there's some really crass moments. So it's a kind of it's a fun ride. Like I said, it's pretty fast paced as far as they're moving around the studio lot all of the time. And then the other thing that's very cool about it, if you are, you know, a Hollywood fan at all, is that everybody's in it, like not starring in it, but in it, Like they have cameos from all kinds of people. I was just looking at the list the I googled it and there's just a ton of actors who make cameos. And Mark Martin Scorsese for one pops in and there were Last night they were talking about Chris Hemsworth's which I was that had my attention, but he never showed up. And Ron Howard did one episode, and there are several others who just make their way through and they weave them into the storyline and it's it's very fun because they are themselves in it, like Ron Howard is Ron Howard on the studio. So here's why it's kind of a mash up with Out and About because it's shot on the Warner Brothers studio lot. And you may remember we went Out and About to Warner Brothers to do their Hollywood studio tour a few weeks ago. In fact, if you'd like to go see it, it's very cool. It's on my Instagram at Amy K King. But since it's shot on the lot and I've now been on the tour, I recognize a ton of stuff. So again, being sort of a fangirl, I'm like, oh, that's so cool. Oh I remember driving by that on the tour. Oh hey, I remember seeing those you know, those those sets and that kind of stuff. So that makes it very fun. And like the tour guide at Warner Brothers said to me, hey, we use every part of this lot to make different worlds as they're creating you know, Hollywood and they're creating things all over the world. But you see those sets, whether you realize it or not. But after you've been on the tour, it's like you have this kind of inside scoop. Then one thing I did notice is they showed the sound stages and they're driving around in their golf carts because that's how they get around on the lots. And they've got the sound stages on either side, and they've got a cart driving down the middle, and then there's a Hollywood sign between the two sound stages. And I was like, well, that looks cool, and I went, wait a second, that can't be real. The Hollywood signs on the other side of the hill. So in true Hollywood fashion, they fake it a little bit. So, like I said, it's fun because you see things that you know. And I'm not one hundred percent sold on the show itself, but it's fun to watch because we live here and you see stuff around here, Like they went to Musso and Franks and I think they went to the Smokehouse and they were in Silver Lake for one of the episodes, and I was like, oh, I know that lake. I've seen that house on the hill. So it's very fun. Anyway, it's called The Studio and it's on Apple TV and about halfway through the season, so you can see five episodes. And like I said, if you want to check out my Instagram at Amy K. King also at KFI AM six forty to check out the actual Warner Brothers studio tour that we went on not too long ago. Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Scott Carr in for Courtney Donaho. Good morning Scott, Hey, Good morning Amy. Okay, so we know that President Trump is very influential, and it looks like a social post can kind of tank the markets.
Speaker 14: Well, shirt Kenny is the leader of the Free World now features down five hundred and sixty seven points. That's better than one point four percent from a social media post with a president seems to be pointing fingers at Jerome Powell actually does directly. He posted this morning, quoting the President, Powell's termination cannot come fast enough, and of course Powell is not legally he says anyway that the president can't fire him. So stocks are taking a hit, and of course they did yesterday after Powell stressed at the Central Bank. And this is why the President and probably posted what he did this morning. Powell stressed that the Central Bank's going to have to ensure the administration's new tariffs don't trigger more persistent increases in inflation. So traders interpret that to mean Fed officials are in no hurry to lower interest rates. Losses yesterday for the major averages ranged from one to three quarters percent to two and a quarter percent.
Speaker 1: I'm always fascinated, scot it, how much of a knee jerk reaction Wall Street has to every little thing.
Speaker 5: They sure do. That's because you have traders that that's their business, that's why they're there.
Speaker 1: I just think of it. I think of a bunch of guys, very high stress, strung out on like double espressos don't sell.
Speaker 14: Oh, just take a look at the floor on any given day down on Wall Street in New York.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's what you see. That's what they get paid for.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh you need to do you need to do your plug?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 5: I just want to say this reports sponsored by Total Wine and more.
Speaker 14: We got another medication that the well people are nervous, wedding planners telling Blueberg yesterday that they've been seeing their clients slashing their wedding budgets, some even delaying their nuptials out of worries of a coming recession and a sinking stock market. Of course, cutting budgets putting off a wedding that's going to impact a lot of businesses florists, photographers, hotels and the like. And before I let you go, I should mention amy the California may be the biggest ev market in the country, but fewer of them are going to be Tesla's that companies no longer selling the majority of their new cars registered in California, Tesla accounting for almost a third of all zero emission vehicles nationwide, but their share sold in California's fall into nearly forty four percent for a last quarter. That's down from fifty five and a half percent of them last year. The dealers' associations as part of that is backlash against Elon Musk's political activity.
Speaker 1: Even though they're made in America, so they're not as subject to the terror like the other cars. Interesting, all right, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: That political activity I mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, getting in your business with Bloomberg, Scott car. Thanks so much. We'll do it again tomorrow. Have a good day, all right, you too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Commercial salmon fishing along the California coast could be banned for a third year to help Chinook salmon populations recover. Fisheries regulators have voted for the ban, and it is expected to be adopted next month some boat captains. Captains say even though it affects them financially, they do support it for the sake of salmon recovery. And The White House is starting a new media policy that restricts wire services access to the president.
Speaker 9: The White House's new media policy sharply curtails access to President Trump by news agencies that serve media outlets around the world. It's the administration's latest attempt to control press coverage and would block the Associated Press and other wire services that serve billions of readers It comes after a judge rule the White House violated the AP's free speech by banning it as punishment for not renaming the Gulf of Mexico the Gold Off of America. The White House says Press Secretary Caroline Levitt will have the final say over who gets to question Trump. Mark Ronner KFI News with two.
Speaker 1: Day resentencing Hearingford Lyle and Eric Menendez scheduled to get under way this morning in Van Nuys. Our Michael Monks will be there and bring us the latest developments and decisions. Police say they know who the owner of a pit bull mix is that attacked and killed a toy poodle in Santa Monica. They're evaluating possible charges now. Actor Haley Joel Osmont has been arrested and released at Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort. Billy Say, the sixth Sense Star was picked up for public intoxication and possession of a controlled substance. We're minutes away from Handle on the news this morning. California the first state to sue Trump over tariffs. Let's say good morning now to board member of Friends of Griffith Park, Brenda Reese. Good morning, Brenda, Good morning, Amy. Oh you sound way too energetic for five point fifty in the morning, but we appreciated a ton. Maybe it's because you're excited for Earth Day coming up.
Speaker 11: I'm excited for Earth Day and this is the time of the day anyways that us hikers are outside getting ready to put on our shoes and walk walk around in nature.
Speaker 1: Okay, and let's talk about hiking because one of the reason we're talking to you today is that there is going to be a new trail resource for Griffith Park that you're rolling out this weekend.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 11: We call it the Griffith Park Explore or the GPX for short, and it's a system of fifteen different trails. So this is so people can pick which kind of trail that they want to go on and it's a it will be encompass all of the park. This is something we've been working on for about two years now.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So up until now, if people went to the park, they would just find a trail ahead and go And now is that how it used to work?
Speaker 11: Yeah, people have done books about Griffith Park. You can kind of look you know to there to those things or as well as just you know, go to as you say go to the park. We look at the map, Oh, I'm going to go there and there. What we've done is we've kind of broken down the park into fifteen different areas. So if you're an beginner hiker or an expert hiker and you want to have a little challenge, we've kind of mapped it all out for you with ease or difficulty, and we've also given you an opportunity for if you, oh, I want to go see birds, or I want to more of a challenge, I want an easy walk. This is this will help you for that.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, and is this an app or a website or how do we how are we going to find it when it launches.
Speaker 11: It's not an app, it's just on our website. So it's going to be really easy to do. So people don't here, don't have to add another extra thing to your phone. Okay, kind of come on.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so it'll take you and it'll say, okay, here are the different trails. And then as you mentioned, like if you're a birdwatcher, beyond telling you where to go, it'll tell you what you're going to see on the different trails.
Speaker 11: Exactly we're going to give you little tidbits of geology, history, little things of the flora and fauna you might see around the area. And so it's going to give you a little bit more than just you know, walk this way. I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, how many miles of trails are there around Griffith Park.
Speaker 11: There are fifty three official trails around Griffith Park. And another reason why we wanted to create this is a lot of people kind of make their own trails and they kind of go off trail and this and that, and that's where people can get into trouble. So we really wanted to encourage people to stay on the official trails. And that's what these that's what the GPX is. It allows you to see and experience all of Griffith Park. In fact, if you could, you could, in theory, do them all and say to your friends, I have hiked all the trails in Griffith Park, which is about fifty three trails. Fifty three miles of trails.
Speaker 1: Well, I love this idea, Brenda, because I've thought about going hiking in the park before and I just go, but I don't know where to go. And so now I'm going to know where to go and you're going to make it easy so I can go on the easy trails because I'm not an van sneiker by any stretch.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then on Saturday, because we Earth Day is next week, but we're going to celebrate early. So on Saturday, you've got a special celebration for the launch of this and also a chance for people to get their hands dirty and help the earth.
Speaker 11: Right, We're going to be meeting at the Griffith Park visitor Center. We're going to be putting some native plants in the ground, and I think we're going to be doing with our friends at LA Recreation and Parks and they'll be on hand too, And we're just going to be meeting everybody and explaining a little bit more about the types of things that we're doing at friends of Griffith Park and just and let's all get our hands dirty and let's, you know, help the park because it's one of our greatest assets here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: And is everybody invited?
Speaker 11: Everyone's invited.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's at the visitor center. What time are you going to be doing that?
Speaker 11: I think that's at ten o'clock. Okay, boy, now now you're questioning me, But I think it's at ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, here's how we can direct them to your website if you'd like more information about the event on Saturday. And also and then the gPex Trail resource is going to be available starting on Saturday.
Speaker 11: That's correct, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: And also if you want more information about Friends of Griffith Park find out all about how you can help out for Earth Day, you can go to what website.
Speaker 11: They can go to www. And it's going to be Friendsigriffithpark dot org.
Speaker 1: Super easy. Brenda Reese, thank you so much for coming on with us this morning. I love this. I can't wait to go and take a hike.
Speaker 11: Thank you. We'll see you on the trails. Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks Brenda. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news from San Diego. Assemblyman Carl Demyo has introduced AB twenty six. It's called the Cut the Politician's Perks Act. It's aimed at eliminating what he calls excessive benefits for California's elected officials. Key revisions include a ban on most gifts and out of state travel unrelated to campaigning, a lifetime lobbying ban for former lawmakers, and stock trading restrictions.
Speaker 11: Public service should be about serving the public, not enriching yourself or engaging in the high life through special interest gifts and funds.
Speaker 1: Demio says the bills meant to increase accountability and reduce special interest influence. News brought to you by American Vision Windows. A bill in California ames to help more drivers with disabilities.
Speaker 7: The new law would help drivers with disabilities during traffic stops by allowing them to present blue envelopes with key information about their vehicle insurance and needed accommodations. This is already happening in San Diego Riverside in San Bernardino. The bill would expand the program statewide. The envelopes given out by the DMV signal to officers and need for patients and understanding. The bill is set for discussion on April twenty eighth. Deborah Mark Kofi News.
Speaker 1: And surf City will not be hosting the surfing competition for the twenty twenty eight LA Olympics.
Speaker 15: Olympic officials say the surfing event for the twenty twenty eight Games will take place at Trussel's Beach about forty five miles south of Huntington Beach. Visit. Huntington Beach officials say it was an honor to be considered and it's how to just be a part of the energy and spirit of the La Games. Many surfers said the Trussele Beach location is amazing and could be the best spot in the.
Speaker 5: Country to hang ten Sorry.
Speaker 15: The original surf city name was given a Santa Cruz in nineteen twenty seven, but Huntington Beach took over the title in nineteen ninety one and officially trademark the name in two thousand and eight. Michael Krozier KFI News.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSC HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland. Weather from KFI. Mostly cloudy, about a twenty percent chance of some showers today, Highs in the low sixties at the beach's mid upper sixties inland fifties with strong gusty winds in the Aneloe Valley. Twenty percent chance of rain again tomorrow with highs in the low to mid sixties. The clouds move out late Friday, and then we're back to sunny skies for the weekend. Highs in the sixties to mid seventies. It's fifty nine in Dana Point, fifty nine and Long Beach, fifty seven in Studio City, and fifty seven in Tustin. Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom, I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. Hey, if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can go back and listen any time to today's show or any day show anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.