Speaker 1: Hey there, fellow travelers. Right now, I have one major goal for The Tolkien Road to finish my next book. While I'm doing that, I want to invite you to read through The silmar Million with The Tolkien Road this year. Over the next several months, we'll be revisiting the thirty episode series that Greta and I recorded back in twenty twenty two. And while you're listening, check out silm Guide dot com. That's Silmguide dot com. For guides to individual chapters. You can find a link in the show notes. The first episode is an overview of the Silmarillion in including its background, structure, and themes. To support our work here, please visit patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road Enjoy. Hey there, fellow travelers. Welcome to The Tolkien Road, Episode two seventy two. Greta, Hey, Hey, Greta, you ready to start a new journey?
Speaker 2: Always I'm always up for a new.
Speaker 1: Journey, always up for a new journey. I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we were returning to the Silmarillion. Over the last seven years, we've learned a ton about Tolkien, Middle Earth, and the art of podcasting, and we're excited to bring that knowledge to bear as we journey through the Selm Million once again. Yes, so, and let's let's just say we're extra excited that we're going to have so many people along for the journey from the start this time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: We did this so the last time we did the Silm Million, like this was literally our first episode baby podcasters, just baby podcasters. So yeah, so not only have we learned a lot about podcasting since then, not only do we don't have video of any of that stuff back then, so we have all that. Plus we have all you guys along for the journey this time, right, listening in real time. So pretty exciting. Yes, yeah, so I'm just I'm just like, I don't know, I'm gonna start gushing about it if I let myself go on. But let's just say this is going to be extra fun this time. I think, even more fun than the first time through.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. I totally agree. So yeah, I think it's gonna be it's gonna be really good. And I feel like, you know, sometimes I feel like rereads again.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, there's so many.
Speaker 3: Great books in the world, Like, why waste your time reading one they've already read?
Speaker 2: But there are a few out there, excuse me, that I think are get it.
Speaker 1: You're getting for climped, I'm getting for climed.
Speaker 3: Yes, But I think there's definitely several works of literature out there that are definitely worth reading over multiple times, and the Silm Marillion is one of them. And I think it's gonna be I think it's gonna be even better the second time through for me, because the first time I was just kind of I was really new to most things Tolken. So I'm really excited to approach it with a more informed and knowledgeable brain, and also with just a little bit with our community as well.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be really good.
Speaker 1: Boom.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in k in case you haven't gotten the message that we're excited word word all right, before we get started, we'd like to give a double up air five to our patrons. Gotta put that coffee down. You're gonna need both hands for this, Okay, three two one O Boom special. Thanks to this episode's executive producers, John R. And Kitlin of T with Tolkien, Thank you guys, and a shout out to Andrew T who annualized his pledge awesome. Thank you all.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Hey, become a patron by visiting Patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road. Becoming a patron is easy and lands you a bunch of cool perks like episodes early in ad free uh and then twenty percent off all merchandise purchased through trumanthspress dot com, which you should go check out. And this is a brand new perk just announce on this episode access to our monthly live stream Q and A. So more on that at the end of this episode. So we've got a plan for our patrons only to do a live stream Q and A with them, and in order to get access to that live you're gonna have to be a patron, so boom.
Speaker 2: I like live streams.
Speaker 1: It was fun. We had a lot of fun during that one last month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, we've done a couple, right. Our last one was before this past one, I think was a while ago. But the feod that we've done I've really really enjoyed for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no, forget right now and for the rest of January. You can now make an annual pledge and get two months free. So two months of Patreon free, So save yourself two months. You're gonna want to become a patron for the rest of your life anyway, so you might as well save two months per year, right as well.
Speaker 2: Win win.
Speaker 1: All right, we've done this before, but I wanted to kind of refresh this. I like this idea since we're going through the film Million from the start. This time, we're going to offer a token quote of the week which is going to have some relevance, you know, for to kind of kick off each episode, set the tone for each episode.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good. So this week's quote of the week comes from letter one A two written in nineteen fifty six to Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co. Which I thought was appropriate since since you know, here's my first edition right here of the Selm Million, and it's got Houghton Mifflin right there.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool, yep, on the first edition.
Speaker 1: There we go. See. Yeah, well, the first edition it was actually you know, this book was actually on my parents' bookshelf since I was a little kid. So I remember just seeing this name jer R. Tolkien and seeing this book on that bookshelf with the Selm million. This this is the one, right, So seeing it sitting on that bookshelf and just wondering, like, you know, what is that book? And then when I read The Hobbit, I was like, what's the Selmer Million? And I just it seemed I can remember it. That name just seeming so bizarre to me, like what is that? Right, and then reading Lord of the Rings, being like, still, what is this Silm million? So little? What little did I know? Right? Little did I know the destiny that the Selm realion, that that I was on a date, I was on a crash course with destiny when it came to the Silm Million.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm trying to figure out this cover, I you know.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know, but I think it's there's the cover right there. I think it's I think it's actually supposed to. To me, it looks like it's seen from the Hobbit, right. I think it might be a scene from the Hobbit where they're up in the misty mountains, right and the storm's going on. Yes, but yeah, it's a good question. I don't know for sure. Anyway, let's talk about this quote of the week. All right, let's do that. So here we go. I shall certainly now if I am allowed publish the parts of the great history that was written first and reject it. But the to me very surprising success of The Lord of the Rings will probably cause that rejection to be reconsidered, though I do not think it could have the appeal of the Lord of the Rings. No Hobbits. So we see here the Tolkien himself recognize one of the chief problems that The Selm Million would face when it came to the general public, which is no Hobbits. So let's just say that from the very start, for those of you who are new to The Selm Million, you're not going to find any Hobbits in the Lord of the Ring and the Selm Million. Now, you will find them within the confines of this book, but not in the Selm Million itself, the Selm Million proper as you will, as we will come to refer to it. We'll explain why that's true here in just a few moments. Okay, So you want to read The Selm Million if you have any interest in Middle Earth. It's only natural, especially for those who have completed The Lord of the Rings No small Feet in and of itself. It's the most logical next step. Right, You've read the hobbit. If you haven't read The Lord of the Rings, need to read Lord of the Rings. If you've read both, then need to read the selm Million. Right, that's the next logical step. However, if you're expecting a story like The Lord of the Rings, you've probably already figured out that the Silmarrillion ain't it. In fact, you won't even encounter a familiar species until several chapters in, and when you do, it will likely be several more chapters until you finally get a grasp on what's actually happening.
Speaker 2: Is this a sales pitch because if it is failing?
Speaker 1: Okay, well it's I mean, no, it's a it's a sobering I know. It's not a sales I know. It's a sales pitch for listening to this podcast, right and getting yourself beefed up because it's.
Speaker 2: Challenging, right, it is very challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's our promise to you. Here's comes a sales pitch. If you'll stick with us on this journey over the next several months, it will all start to make sense, and eventually you will see how it all connects to the Lord of the Rings as well as the hobbit and makes the experience of reading them both remarkably richer. Right, So, uh, Greta, I mean, would you would you concur with that, like, you know, having gone through the podcast the first time around yourself as a having and you never read the selm Marillion at that point, right right? Yeah? Yeah, So did you come to did you come to appreciate and understand the silm Million through that journey? Would you say, through the journey of the podcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: How many people we heard from over the last seven years about you know, being being able to finally kind of make it through the selm Arillion and really understand the silm Million after listening to our first go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot a lot of you. Because it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not an easy read. It's really not. It's not a you know, definitely not a beach read. And I would argue it's also not really a curl it by the fire and drinking a glass of wine read either, Like you kind of got to be on your game when you're reading this sul Marillion.
Speaker 1: Although I want to take issue with something you said, I think I think Olmo would say it is a bee tread that's actually so true. Say there's a bee tread. Yeah, as well as those who were inspired to build large kingdoms because of being close to the water and hearing the the mystical sounds of Almo. Yeah yeah, all right. So you know, for me, I wanted to read the silm Merillion from the moment I finished Lord of the Rings. And I can remember picking this very book right here, this copy right here, taking it off of my parents' bookshelf after reading Lord of the Rings. This is probably back in two thousand and one, and starting out and just being like getting into idol Ndola and just being like, first of all, what is the I knew Lindale and what is going on? This is all about some music? Like there's nothing here that is relatable to me from a Lord of the Rings or Hobbit perspective, right, I don't recognize. I even was like, okay, maybe I'll look at the map and maybe this will help me get get it all figured out here. And I open up the map and it's just like, that's not Middle Earth. I don't know what this Belrian place is, but this that's not Middle Earth, you know, I don't know what's going on here? So it's all you know, You're like, oh great, I want to read the you know, this prequel to Lord of the Rings, and you very quickly find out that this is this is not like watching the prequels for Star Wars, right, where you know you immediately meet a younger version of Obi Wan Kenobi. Right, there's literally nobody who you even recognize, no place names that you tend to recognize for a long time. There are a couple of very minor exceptions in Valaquinta, the second section of the book, but even there, it's brief. It's just brief, right, It's very brief. Uh, and you don't actually, you know, see some of those characters come back until much later. Okay, So this is a challenge, right, it's a challenge. I know it. I've been there, Greta's been there, and together we're gonna make it through and we're really gonna enjoy reading this and you guys are gonna love it. Right, there's so much good stuff in the summarion. So it's a challenge, but it's so worth it, and you get bragging rights, yeah you will.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't tell you how many people have you know, mentioned that I read the Silmar Allion too, and they're like.
Speaker 1: Whoa, yeah, yeah, for sure, And here's the thing. You want to read it now, because within by this time next year, this thing called Latron Prime is going to have happened. Right, That's how we refer to it here on the Tolkien Road Lord of the Rings on Prime. It's going to have happened, and everyone is going to think they know all this stuff about the early history of Middle Earth, and you're gonna be like, well, actually, it happened this way because you've read the Silmar Allion already. Right. So for those of you who are here for the very noble and virtuous reason that you want to beef up on all of this before Latron Prime hits, right, you want to understand the background of that show before it hits the screen. Welcome, right, this will be a very worthwhile endeavor as we journey towards September two, twenty twenty two. So and for those of you who will be journeying through the Silm Million again, we're glad you're back, right, absolutely glad you're back. Or if this I mean this may be the first time listening to the podcast, but you're reading it again. Right. You know, there's some of you who may have read it dozens of times. We have plenty of listeners who have done that, right, you know, this is you know they they told us like they listened to our podcast even though they'd read the Selm million many times, and they really enjoy just kind of having our perspective and the discussion. Right. And that's one thing that we're all about on this show, right is we want discussion, we want conversation. Most of our episodes are going to be us talking to the microphone having a conversation about these things together. But we love the correspondence. And that's partly why we're doing this livestream Q and A once a month now is we want to open it up for those, you know, for those who are patrons to really join in the conversation with us right live. So yeah, and we're going to structure it those conversations that way where we're going to kind of look back at the previous month's episodes and we're gonna that's gonna be the focus right now. Not to say we won't maybe bring up some other interesting letters, but that's going to be the focus for us. Awesome, all right, So let's talk about some background of the Selm Million. So the Selm Million was published in nineteen seventy seven, four years after Tolkien's death and over two decades after The Lord of the Rings and four decades after The Hobbit. However, its genesis predates both works, going all the way back to World War One and perhaps even before that. Right, what we have with the Silm Million is not so much one cohesive epic as it is a loosely connected collection of stories taking place within the same secondary world, the world that we know as Middle Earth. Though Tolkien had hoped to publish The Selm Million during his lifetime, he was not able to see it to completion, and after his death in nineteen seventy three, his son Christopher worked to complete The Selm Million. And what we hold in our hands as the selm Merillion is the result of that editorial process. All right, So let's break that down a little bit, kind of rehash, just rehashed that briefly, all right. The Silm Million published after Tolkien's death in nineteen seventy seven, but it is actually the earliest of all the Middle Earth works, right, It's the earliest. It's the beginnings of it actually go back to twenty years before the publication of The Hobbit, right, and predate the publication of Lord of the Rings by close to four decades. Right. So the Silmarillion is really this collection of stories that book ends Tolkien's creative life, right, it's the early stories, but it is the stories. What we see here is the stories he came up with. Is he was working out the background mythology for this thing called Middle Earth, right, And you know when you read Lord of the Rings, when you read The Hobbit, and it feels like there's like this incredible background, there's this incredible history to it all that goes way back. That's why, right, he had because there was like he had worked out all of these legends, the details of all of these legends, you know, as he was creating before he created the stories, as he was creating The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and he continued to work them out afterwards. Right. He did hope to have it published in his lifetime. It just never happened. And so Christopher, who is one of his children, Christopher Tolkien, published The silm Marillion in nineteen seventy seven. He had to do this very heavy duty work of going through his father's papers and really compiling them. And he knew the stories pretty well already, right he was, you know, he and his father had talked about these stories. He had grown up with these stories. But he was able to take them with the help of a writer named Guy Gabriel Kay and a young writer at that time. He was still a fantasy writer in his own right. He was able to take those stories and kind of edit them into what we have in the Selm Mirillion. Okay, so that's some background, published in nineteen seventy seven, after Tolkien died in nineteen seventy three. That's what we have with this book, the Selm Marillion. How we got it? All right? Any questions on that, Gretor No, I'm good, all right, thanks. So let's talk about the contents now. It's important to note that we are going to be working from the second edition of The Selm Merillion, which is the most recent. So this is the first edition right here, all right, that I have right here, the one originally published in nineteen seventy seven. However, there is a second edition, and that is the one that you probably have unless you've been lucky enough to come across a first edition copy. The second edition, however, has some you know, some minor some changes to it, nothing too major in terms of the content. But there is one very important thing that's added into the second edition, and that is the Waldman Letter. More on that in just a bit. All right, So you're looking at the table of contents, Greta, let's maybe open it up on the table right here, if we can make some room here, watch out for that microphone. All right, So our table of contents, and.
Speaker 2: This is also available in paperback.
Speaker 1: Is it is available in paperback? Yeah, the one I have, the one we're using right here. I'm using a hardcover because I have it, and it's really nice and it's easier to lay out like this on a table, right it doesn't want to close back up.
Speaker 2: And not easier to read laying in bed.
Speaker 1: Not easier to read laying in bed, although there are some great so the art there. This is an illustrated version, not like a graphic novel, but it has illustrations in it, and the illustrations are done by noted Tolkien artist Ted Naysmith. So very you know, this is a good copy to get if you want yourself a nice hardcover edition of the film million. I will link to it in the show notes. So all right, there's a lot in this table of contents. Okay, really two pages worth, two good pages worth that we're looking at. Now. I want you all to think about the table of contents in terms of kind of three groups. All right, we have the introductory material that includes these forwards right, so forward, and then the preface to the second edition, and then this from a letter by J. R. R. Tolkien. All right, So that's the introductory material in this edition right here, because it has illustrations. There's also a list of illustrations in it. That's not going to be in the ones if it doesn't have illustrations, obviously the next section. So that's so we have. First section would be the introductory material. The second section would be the stories, and so that's going to be everything, starting where it says I know Linda lay right, and that's how you say that word. That's how you hear me say it, although there are people who would say it differently, but I say, I know de lay and then you go all the way through, and let's jump down all the way to of the rings of power and the third Age, all right, So that is kind of the main chunk of the main narrative chunk, right, of the story the content all right, of the Selm million I know, lind delay all the way through of the Rings of Power in the third Age. So we'll just call that the stories, all right, And so that's gonna be the main focus over the next several months of this podcast, right, We're going to go through those those chapter by chapter and really dig in deep and have fun exploring them. And then we've got supporting materials, right, So supporting materials. So after that where it says tables, you have genealogies, you have five different genealogies. We'll talk about those on this episode and how to understand and how those are useful. Then we have this table called the Sundering of the Elves. That one is really useful. Actually, that's that's probably the one that I referred to the most and when I was first reading this and kind of trying to get my mind wrapped around this as really helpful for understanding elves, right, really helpful table for understanding just the basics about elves. And then we have notes on pronunciation or note on pronunciation index of names, and then appendix elements and Quinya and Sindarn names. Okay, so that's all supporting materials, right. All that stuff from tables on to the end is what i'd refer to as supporting materials. So we got group one or section one, introduction material section two, the stories, Section three supporting material Yeah, makes sense. That makes sense, all right, So we're gonna spend the rest of this episode dealing with the introductory supporting materials. Kind of ground ourselves with those, understand how they're helpful, get them out of the way. But let's take a few minutes real quick just to consider the meat of the book. Right, what's in section two the stories? All right, So in most pred editions I've seen, you'll see things organize such that I know, Linda Lay, valaquina A Kalabeate and the Rinks of Power and the Third Age stand apart from the rest of the text with this thing called Quintus Silmarilion headlining twenty four distinct chapters. All right, so let's talk about what those are. The first thing I know, Linda de Lay, all right, I know Linda Lay is the creation story of Middle Earth. That's what we're going to discuss on the next episode. Okay. It is truly one of my favorite things Tolkien wrote, and it is very fascinating. Okay. The basic idea there is that middle Earth is made of music. A right, Middle Earth is made.
Speaker 2: Of music, made of music or from music.
Speaker 1: Maybe both, definitely from music. I would go so far as to say made of music, right. Okay, we'll talk about that more on the next episode. Valaquainta vala quainta catalog some of the most important characters in the early chapters of The Silm Million. Okay, so it's not so much a story as it is kind of a an explanation. It's like an essay on some of the different characters that we're gonna meet, some of the different species of characters that we're gonna meet early on in this film. Million. Then jumping down, we'll come back to Quentin Silm Million, jumping down a calibath. This tells the story of middle ER's second age and the downfall of Numer. So heads up to all of you folks who are here because you're excited about Lord of the Rings on Prime. Okay, A Klabath is a must read, right, you have to read a Klibeth to understand the story of the Second Age and the Rings of Power. I'm sorry of Lord of the Rings on Prime. Okay, that is the main text for understanding the history of Numen or we won't beginning to really diving into a Calibath until much later, you know, in terms of our reading schedule, because it does come very late in the book.
Speaker 2: But for a little taste, we did do a yes, a little bit of a reread.
Speaker 1: Good point. We've done actually plenty of episodes on a Calabath. We we did a reread earlier this year where Gretta. Greta kind kind of led the charge. You know, we never really did your second part.
Speaker 2: Never did it, and I kind of told some people we were.
Speaker 1: Going through it will be that as a bonus episode at some point, but we did. We have we did our first read through the of a Calibath. If you just can't wait and you want to go back and listen to that, it's it's way back. I'll try to remember a link to that. And we've also I have a collection of several several episodes on our YouTube page and you can go back into our into our podcast feed as well. But we've done several just on the on the Second Age in general. We we actually did a Calibath reread a few years ago where it was four parts, and we've done lots of other episodes on the Second Age and the lore of the Second Age and the history of the Second Age. So we've got plenty of content back from the past on on this topic. If you want to beef up on that.
Speaker 2: You wants, you know what your appetite.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely you know if you If you have trouble find it, feel feel free to reach out to us so and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction. So easiest place to go to is probably like Twitter or Facebook, or just email us whatever right, or go onto YouTube. Right, go onto YouTube and and drop me a comment. You can usually search for just search for Tolkien Road a kalab eight or something like that and you'll probably come up. And then of the Rings of Power in the Third Age, this is this is a pretty interesting one. It gives a relatively short account of the creation of the Rings of Power all the way through the destruction of the one ring at the end of the Third Age. So this is like almost like a bird's eye view of the entire story of the Rings from when the rings were created all the way to to the one rings destruction at Mount Doom, right. So, and it's and it's the kind of thing you can read in one or two sittings. It's a pretty short version of it. So that one's pretty fun, especially, you know, especially if you're coming to the Selmer Million having just read The Lord of the Rings, you're probably really going to enjoy reading of the Rings of Power in the Third Age. So all right, now, let's go back to this thing, quinta Silm Million right where we've got twenty four chapters. All right, So quinta silm Merillion is basically that that's really what the Selm Million is. Right when we talk about when when Tolkien would have been talking about the Silm Million, that's that's the main thing he would have been referring to. Is this. It's this saga. It's this collection of stories that kind of presents this history of these things called the silm Merells. It it's gonna tell everything from the first awakening of the elves Uh to the creation of the three Selmer Ells, the numerous wars that result over them, and the coming of men into the world and really so much more. I mean, it's it's not just one story, but it's kind of a collection of many stories that are part of a larger saga, all right. And you know, the comparison has been made to the Old Testament before, because it's that same kind of thing, right, some of these you know, different characters can be involved. It covers a long period of history, but you know, it's all really telling. It's all part of kind of one big story, right, It's just not always necessarily easy to see how it all connects until later, right. The the Silmariles, let's define that real quick, all right, The Silmarills. There's three of them, and they are these holy jewels. We're gonna learn a lot more about them. But they are essentially these three jewels that contain a blessed light. And at some point, this blessed light becomes something that's no longer available, right, and so the three Silmarills are the only way of getting access to this holy light. Right. So that might seem all very like hard to understand if you're coming to this new like, what what's this big deal about holy light? But we'll understand that, right, we're gonna get into all that and what that's all about once we get into these stories.
Speaker 3: So the title being the soil Marillion, is that kind of I'm just trying to think of the connection. Obviously it comes like Silmriile as part of sil Marillion. Yeah, so can we kind of translate Silmrillion as like the Tale of the Silmrales or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's probably right now, that might not be the exact translation. One thing to remember, one thing you need to remember about Tolkien is he was a philologist. He he loved language. Literally, he was a philologist in terms of loving language, and literally he was a philologist in terms of that was his profession, right, so, uh he he loved language, and uh so I'm not sure if that's the exact translation of the Silmarillion, but I think that's a good way of referring to it, right, It's like of the soil Marles or the tale the Tale of the Silmrles, Right, Yeah, so yeah, good question things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just like, was basically it's Silmarill with Ioan on the end, and so I'm trying to figure out what ion like, how that what the relation of the ending to the words sill Morill is like how it relates, but clearly, I mean the sill Morrills are kind of a focus of most of the stories.
Speaker 1: They're what all the trouble is about, indeed.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and they're beautiful, so I mean it makes sense.
Speaker 1: However, they don't show up until several chapters ten.
Speaker 2: So you got to be committed people, you do, You're going.
Speaker 1: To find that's a theme this is. This is a story that you got to be committed. You got to be kind of committed to getting into it. But once you get into it and you commit, it's worth.
Speaker 2: It, right, totally worth it.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing. How much in life is that true? Of? Oh so right, yep, the really worthwhile things you got to commit to, and once you commit to them, you're happy you did, right, absolutely, yes, all right, So let's go back to this thing called the Waldman Letter. So this is good. This is really helpful in terms of introducing some of the themes. Actually, let me circle back first to this introduction to our forwards. Right, so, our forward to the first edition, our forward to the second edition. The forward from the first edition is written by Christopher. I want to read this opening paragraph from actual I'm gonna read it over here. I want it. This is a better place to read it. Here we go, all right, this is from the first edition.
Speaker 2: This is from the first edition, right, so not the edition we're working out of.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also in that. Oh, it's in both, right, but it was it was part of the first editiontcha. Okay, so Christopher says. The silm Million, now published four years after the death of its author, is an account of the Elder Days, or the First Age of the world, and the Lord of the Rings were narrated the great events at the end of the Third Age, but the tales of the Silmarillion are legends deriving from a much deeper past, when more Goth, the first dark Lord, dwelt in Middle Earth and the high Elves made war upon him for the rec recovery of the selmer El's all right, so break down a little bit of that for you. That's a really good little summary of the selmar Million. Okay. Lord of the Rings hobbit take place at the end of the Third Age of Middle Earth. Okay, this three thousand year period called the Third Age. New minor the history of neumenor that is going to be the focus of Lord of the Rings. That's the second age. That's when the Rings of power were created. Okay, and the end of this so the beginning of the second age is the creation of New Minor, right. The end of the second age is the downfall of New Minor along with the last alliance of men. And L's right, So that the first defeat, the first defeat of Souron really not the first defeat, but one of the defeats of Souron where he loses the one ring, right, he loses the one ring and we think he's vanquished, and the one ring comes into the possession of of is seal door. Right, So you know that bit of legend, from that bit of the legend from Lord of the Rings. Okay, So third age into third Age, Lord of the Rings, end of second age, kind of the inciting action of the Lord of the Rings. First age is what the selm me million is all about. Okay, More Goth? All right, who's this guy? More Goth? Because you thought Sururn was the bad guy, right, you thought Suron was the bad guy of Middle Earth. Suron is a we'll show up in the selm Merillion, but he is a lieutenant of more Goth. Right, he is, he is a He learned everything he knows from more Goth. Okay, more Goth will not be known as more Goth until well into the Selm me Million. Before that, he is going to be known as Melcore. All Right, you're gonna we're gonna meet him at Idol and Delay as melcoor okay, Melcor slash more Goth is the chief bad guy of the Selm Million. Okay, makes sense?
Speaker 2: Makes sense?
Speaker 1: All right? Yeah, so yes, uh, and the chief creatures that were going to uh, they're going to kind of be in focus in all this are the elves, right, so you know, men will come to figure in it, but not until much later, not until much later in the film million. Okay. Christopher also notes in this forward he he talks a lot about the challenges he faced. So this is kind of interesting from a textual history, not something you need to spend any time on or get tripped up by unless you're super curious, Okay, But basically he explains that putting this thing together was no easy feat. All right. What you'll learn about Tolkien as you learn more about him is that he was incredible. He was an incredible genius, and like many incredible geniuses, he was extremely disorganized, right he was. He was kind of like, maybe not extremely disorganized, because he was organized enough to have these papers in a place where his son could work with him. Right. But he wrote a lot, right, He wrote a lot, and he wrote many different versions of these stories, and so Christopher had to like go back and put together in some cases like the best versions of the stories. Right. So, but one thing to note is that everything that's included in here is according to his father's explicit intention. Right. Christopher says that that all works included are according to jerr Or Tolkien's explicit intention. So it wasn't like he was just throwing things in Like. It wasn't like he decided to throw in a kalabath because he felt like, you know, it belonged in there was that was his father's intention. So second edition forward really very short. Basically, he just gives a little background on why this introduction was added this Waltman letter, as we're going to discuss the basic story. In nineteen fifty one, as Tolkien was finalizing Lord of the Rings, he was hoping to find a publisher who would agree to issue both Lord of the Rings and the Selm Million, and so he basically told the entire history of Middle Earth from the very beginning all the way to the end in this letter and the Waldman Letter. Yeah. Now, what we have in the Waldman Letter is not the entire Waldman Letter, all right, So what we have in this introduction right here is not the entire Waldman Letter. You can read the entire Waldman Letter if you get letters the Letters of Jered are Tolkien. This bad boy right here, which I highly recommend. Okay, one of my favorite Tolkien books. For sure. It's more than just a reference. There's some just so so good, so good. If you want to understand the mind of Tolkien, you need the Letters of Jared Orre Tolkien. But the Waldman Letter contained in its entirety there and here, it's really just focused on the first and second ages, all right, So it stops when he gets to the third age. Okay. Waldman was worked for Collins Publishers, who was one of the publishers that he was talking to about publishing Lord of the Rings, and and so he was hoping to say, hey, you know, here's my Hobbit sequel. By the way, I'd really like it if you'd published the Selm Million along with it. And here's why you should. Right. Obviously it didn't work out. Now publishers might look back and say, well, kind of wish I kind of wish I had done that, right, But yeah, roll the dice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. So the whole letter is quite worthwhile. But let's talk about Let's talk about something that I think is really important in this letter, and that's the themes. Okay, the themes that he calls out in this letter. There are three themes, three key themes of the Selm Million. The first theme is fall. Tolkien says that fall occurs in several modes, so we should understand this as having to do with a fall from grace or from an exalted state or a happy moral state. There are numerous instances of characters falling. Sometimes the fall is from goodness into a state of evil. Sometimes it's an impatient presumption, perhaps more understandable and defensible, yet with real consequences. Nevertheless, always we find Tolkien exploring how even the fall can be worked by good powers to bring about a happy outcome. Right. So, Tolkien's universe, although very dark, is not a fundamentally pessimistic universe. Okay. This, this is something I really want to emphasize because I think there's a lot of a lot of the popular fantasy of our time tends to be very pessimistic, right, it tends to be very like focused on the violent, on the nihilistic. And I will say it, I'm looking at you, Game of Thrones, although I will say I don't know much about Game of Thrones, but everything I understand about it and what I've been told by others, is that it is very nihilistic and pessimistic. And I'm not there to put it down. I'm not there to say that there's no like you know that that's that we're not We're not getting to do an ethical discussion or a moralistic discussion about that. All I'm saying is that you need to understand that Tolkien's universe is not like that. Okay. Tolkien's universe, though often very dark, though often very violent, they often very brutal, is a fundamentally hopeful universe. Okay.
Speaker 2: What has to be right?
Speaker 3: Because I mean, if you've listened to any of our episodes or know even a little bit about Tolkien, you're familiar with the idea of you catastrophe, right, yep. So I mean that's got that was just a fundamental.
Speaker 2: Piece of his what of his storytelling?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, for sure. Well, while we're at it, Greta, tell tell the listeners what you catastrophe is?
Speaker 3: Uh, you catastrophe simply put, is translated as the happy turn. Okay, It's just when you know it's the whole, when everything looks like it's done and it seems like the evil and darkness is going.
Speaker 2: To prevail, it's the happy turn. Right, It's the it's the light shining through the darkness and.
Speaker 3: Happy catastrophe, happy catastrophe, exactly, exactly. And I think Tolkien himself says that the greatest you catastrophe of history is the resurrection, right just when it appears that you know that all is lost, God is dead, you know, we have Easter. So yeah, I mean that can't you can't. I mean that's just a fundamental piece of of of Tolkien's creations.
Speaker 1: You're you're one, right, And so as you read, as you read Tolkien, I'd encourage you to read it through that lens, right. So it is it is a universe that even when things seem dark, even when things see things seem like they're you know, it's just tragedy or you know, evil is winning out that somehow good will come right. The good will come all right. And in some ways that's kind of the challenge, I'd say, Tolti might even have seen it this way, that the challenge of the fantasy writer in his mind, the writer of the fairy tale, the challenge is to get their protagonists into such a mess that it's like, how can they possibly escape from this? Right? And when you're just like, well, they're done, they're toast, right.
Speaker 2: And then here come the eagles, yep, right.
Speaker 1: And then here come the eagles swooping in. All right, We're gonna learn about a lot about eagles on this, y'all. We learned a lot about eagles. Mortality. Second theme, mortality, he says, especially as it relates to creative desire. So why do we have this impulse to create? Why does it often seem to lead to a spirit of possessiveness? This will also be manifest and the immortality of elves and the mortality of men. Why these two paths for creatures that are so similar? Is immortality really the favorite gift that we mortals often think it would be. So there's a couple of aspects to this with what Tolkien says. First of all, we have elves and men. Elves immortal by nature. Now that doesn't mean they can't die. It just means that they won't naturally die, right, men, not so much as we all know, right, Tolkien. There's a bit of a speculative idea in this, right, like what would it be like if we did live forever? Right, if we were immortal creatures? Okay? And Tolkien explores that idea, and he finds that well, actually, in a fallen world, it may not be the blessing that you think it is, right, and the fallen world, it may not be the blessing that you think it is. So there's a lot of that tension that Tolkien is exploring with this. And then under this subject, under this theme of mortality, is this question, this question of like the creative desire? Right, why do we have this impulse to create? And I think Tolkien's getting it maybe a few things with this right he wants to he wants us to understand, like, first of all, where does the like kind of creative desire come? From right, if we live in a universe, it's like brutal and just kind of beholden to nature, right, just just purely beholden to like the kind of nature and death and the rule of death. Then why do we have this desire to create? Right? Why do we have this impulse to want to leave behind beautiful things, to want to make the world a more beautiful place? And why does that often seem to lead to a spirit of possessiveness? Right? Why does that cause us to have this like selfish desire as a result the impulse of creativity? That The philosophy of creativity is a very important one to Tolkien. He lived it because he because he was incredibly creative. He lived it throughout his life. But he also just wondered about why we have this and where it came from. One of the easiest things, one of the easiest ways to start with understanding his view on that is to understand that he viewed human beings as subcreators. Right, that we make because we are because we are made by the ultimate creator. Right, we are made to do so by the ultimate creator. Right, So we are made right by God and he made us human beings specifically to have this similar creative desire that he has right, that the that that God, that that the ultimate deity has right. So we'll talk about that a lot, and it actually works its way into the legendarium itself. There's a lot about creativity within the story of the Selm Marilli in itself.
Speaker 3: So and you think about this, the Silm Moriiles being kind of the focus of all these stories, they themselves were created objects, right, So.
Speaker 1: It all kind of fits together, and that whole theme of possessiveness also comes up with the right exactly. And then finally the third theme actually kind of carries over from this theme of creativity. Machine, or as Tolkien would say, would also refer to it magic, right, So machine is the modern form of magic. Here, magic is the shortcut opposed to true art. So you know, when you think of true art, think of like elvish, like what the elves do, right, Like the elves, the elves seek to take the natural world and to develop it further in like to develop its nature further, right in a very organic way that doesn't violate what what we've been given, right, like what what we've kind of found there. Okay, Whereas you think of like you know, just think of like what Suron does, right, or Saramon when he's creating you know, he's creating the Roukai, right, He's he's.
Speaker 2: Like, it's a mockery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's mock mocking things. Right, He's he's tearing down the natural world in order to do this. He's not beautifying the natural world. He's not further developing, and he's just tearing it up. He's burning it right in order to make it fuel. Right. Tolkien was not a fan of cutting down trees, so that that's maybe a little way to put this, but he would have much preferred that like people built like cool like tree houses, tree palaces right out of them. Right. So anyway, that's that's the idea here. We might also take this one step further and understand that Salon, in creating the One Ring, right, creating his rings of power, that he was creating these machines. He was creating these magic machines that he could use to manipulate and rule over people. Right, So tools of domination. Okay, so the machine is the falsification of true art, right, and that it seeks to dominate, doesn't seem to beautify, It doesn't seem to glorify and to bring to further bring out the natural essence of a thing and beautify it, but to dominate it and to use it for a means to further power, right yep. So so those are the three themes that we're really looking at when we look at the Silm Rellion. There's a whole lot more in this introduction if you're up for it, I highly recommend reading it before you dive into Inolindela, though, don't feel like you have to. It can actually be a really good introduction to the history of the Silm Million and kind of ground yourself in it. But again, if you're just the type of person who doesn't want to spend your time with an essay before you dive into this, you can always come back to it later too. We will be referring to it frequently, like just different parts parts of it throughout because there's some clarifying statements that you know that that Tolkien makes throughout it, that the Waldman letter. Y yeah, so you know, do what you will with it. If you're the type of person just wants to dive right into the stories, go for it. If you want to read the Waldman letter, it's worth your time.
Speaker 2: Personally, I'm a dive writing kind of person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think most people probably are. I think I probably. I think I probably do write in the first time I read it, but then when I went back and went back and read this thing, I was like, this is awesome. So all right, so let's jump ahead to the supporting material. So that's the introductory material. Let's now look at the supporting material appendices and references. All right, So we've got five tables, or really six tables if you count the the the Elves table as one of those. So let's jump ahead here, and these are on the back. These are in the back after the main chunk of the stories. Catcha, all right, we gotta kind of turn it this way, Greta, Yes, we do. All right. So the first table that you're gonna see is Fenway, right, the House of Fenway and the Noldoran descent of l Rond and l Ros. Okay, hey, you recognize the name there, l Rond, Right, you see l Rond Yep, by the way, look up where it says l Rond at the bottom of the page, bottom right of the page there go up about ten to maybe one o'clock from there. Follow it up and you see another name you're going to recognize, Gladrail. Right, So two names you recognize right there. Okay, we have l Rond and Gladrail on this table. So this shows that both l Rond and Gladrail are descended from an individual named Fenway. All right. Fenway is the king of is the high king of a group of elves called the Noldor. All right, he's the high king of a group of elves called the Noldor. And we're gonna learn a lot about the old or then Old Door kind of the main group of elves along with the Sindarron that we're going to be very focused on in this story. We're gonna learn where the Nooldor come from, what their tendencies are, and we're gonna learn a lot about many Noldor. Okay, all right. The next table we have here is the descendants of Oldway and Elway. All right, So these are what a group of elves called the Tillary. Okay, The Tillary at some point split into the Tillary and the Sindarn. Okay. You will also see here that el Rond is in this table as well as is glad rail. Okay, and you'll look down a little further and who do we see? There are Wind and what boom? We know them, yeah, we know them. Okay, So starting to see how okay, okay, I can see this. This is like an ancient history of like actual characters that I already do know. All right, So yep, there you go, all right? Table three here move your h I know is headphone cord? Here?
Speaker 2: There we go, we.
Speaker 1: Go, all right. So Table three is the house of Bayor and the mortal descent of l Rond and el Rose. Okay, so again we're getting a lot of history on where l Ron came from. Beyor is a man, okay. Beor is a mortal, and he is one of the heads of the great houses of men that come into the story later on in the Selm Marillion. Okay, and l Rond is descended from him as well, right, because remember l Rond is half Elvin. L Rond is half elf, half human, half man, right, So that shows his descent from the men's side.
Speaker 2: I also real quick want to mention that in both of those last two tables that you mentioned, there's also Luthian.
Speaker 1: Luthian.
Speaker 3: Yes, so if you are familiar with John's first book.
Speaker 2: Here's your first one, yep, yep, that which is focused on the story of Baron and Luthian. Then that's another name that you would know.
Speaker 1: Boom.
Speaker 2: Also my favorite story in the summer Early.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, mine too, and it's a great story. I can't wait till we get to it. It's gonna be a little while. But if you if you want to check out my book, it's called Tolkien's Requim. It's also you know, some people have actually used that as an as an introduction into the world of the summarily because it kind of collect connects a lot of the threads and it's a very short read. So yeah, you can. You can actually get a copy of that if you sign up at the five dollars level on Patreon, and or you can buy a copy of it from trumanspress dot com, or it's available on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Aimless self promotion.
Speaker 1: Well you did it.
Speaker 2: I did. I totally opened the door, open the door to I own it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well done, all right, well done, grita all right. Table four the House of Hador of dor Lomin Uh and this is Uh and then we also have five the people of Halleth the Halidin of Breathel. So it's not explicitly called out here, but we see Aarendale there at the very bottom of this table. And Erindale is the is the father of l Rond, right, so, uh, that's how this all connects to everything else. But this is another table of men here as well. All right, This last table we have is uh, is kind of different from the other tables, and that it's not like a direct assent. But what this does is it shows all of the different names of the groups of elves and how they look like to one another. It is very helpful. It's going to look like gibberish at first, but let's break it down, all right. The Quindy Quindy is the overall name for the elves, right, they are the Quindi all elves. They're broken out into two main groups, the Eldar on the left and the Avari on the right. They Avari and the Eldar are distinguished by what happens in one of the early chapters of the Selmer Million. The basic question do they accept the summons to Valenore or do they reject the summons to Valin or? Okay, the Eldar accept the summons. The Avari reject the summons, right, so they are the unwilling. The Avari are the unwilling, and you can kind of see there's not a whole lot more said about them, right, Not not that there won't be more set about them, and there's not stuff said about them otherwise, but that's that's kind of where they're left behind. It's all. It's all defined by what happens in terms of the journey to valleen Or. Early in the book, the Eldar are broken out into three main groups. So these are the people that do that do accept the journey. They're broken out into the Vanyard, the Noldor, and the Tillary. Okay, the Vanyard and the Noldor all eventually complete the journey to Valinor. The Tillary end up breaking into some different groups, Okay, the Tillary, and they're actually a very large group of elves. Some of the Tillary do make the journey, right, They make the journey on along with the Vanyard and the Noldor, and they arrive in the Blessed realm. The groups of elves together that become that arrive in the Blessed realm are the Calaquindi, right, That's why the Vonnyard, the Noldor and part of the Tillary kind of add up to that. Elves of light, that's what that means, literally, elves of light, the high eleves. They came to Aman in the days of the Two Trees. Now let's go back up to the Tilary. The Tilary break up into those who become the Calaquindi part of the Calaquiniti, and then we have the Sindar, the gray elves. These are the elves that remain balariond Okay, They're gonna play a big part in the story of the Summarillion. And then we have the non Door, those that left the march of the Tillarry east of the Misty Mountains. Misty Mountains. Hey, that's also something from that we recognize from the Lord of the Rings and some million. Yes, but the non Door are they're they're left further behind, right, so, and and the Misty Mountains do not show up on that map right of Valerions, Okay, yep. So they will come back into the story because they feed into it much later on, because they feed into the la Quindy, the green elves of Assyrian Okay, and then the oman Yar the Elder who were not of Aman Okay. So the non Door are kind of interesting because we can think of them as you know, the source for some of like many of the elves that maybe we don't like. So so when we think of like Legolists, for example, I'm kind of throwing this out there. I want to double check this because I didn't look this up beforehand, but I'm pretty sure Legolists and his father thron du Will are non Door, right. That would make sense because they live east of the Misty Mountains and the Third Age. So I'm double checking it here using trustee resource of Lord of the Rings wiki. Let's see here they might They're sometimes referred to as the Sylvan elves. Right, and looking for Legolis's name, not seeing him there, let's look up less.
Speaker 2: So all of these groups, they are the Cindar and the non Door. They both left. They they both quit the journey.
Speaker 1: They both quit the journey, but at different points, at different points, that's correct, gotcha? Uh? So let's see here thron du Will. Uh yeah, thron Duill was the only son of oo Fair, king of the Woodland realm. He was born during the First Age and lived in doriy Off at the some point prior to the second kin Sling. Well, it doesn't it doesn't spell out whether it's a nondor but I'm pretty sure he is. Of course, we got our live Q and A. We got a correspondence to correct me. You're gonna hear me say that a lot, because there's so much there's so much lore. There's so much to this legendarium that there's often things that even I knew at one point and I've forgotten or I'm just not sure if I'm getting that quite right. So and it's important to me to make sure we get it right. So help me out if if I'm wrong about that. All right, So that is the table of the Elves.
Speaker 3: So this relates to the sundering of the chapter or wait is this this?
Speaker 1: This is just the name of the table, the sundering of the elves and some of the not a chapter. Right, So, by the way, so we have cal it all kind of winds up. Kla Quindi are those who make the journey because they are the elves of the light. We're gonna understand why that is. And then we're gonna understand why uh, and understand the same time the mora a quindi, which means the elves of the darkness, right, That doesn't mean they're evil. That just means that they don't have the light, get.
Speaker 2: An't enter into the light. That's the land of light, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean, just going over this table is making me really glad that I'm going to have you and the rest of our listeners with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because just this one table is blowing my mind.
Speaker 1: It does. There's a lot to this table for sure, hm.
Speaker 2: And it's just a very very very tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 1: All right. A couple of other useful things here in the supporting and the supporting content. We have note on pronunciation. So most names are not pronounced in a typically American or even British dialect. Right, this guy will help you figure out the right way of saying certain names. So a good example would be cured on of the Gray Havens, right, which is pronounced keared on right. You might look at that and want to pronounce it as seared on right, but it's actually cure done. Whenever you see a ce by itself like that, it is pronounced as a heart is a k sound right, kuh kredn of the Grey Havens. So there's a lot of examples in here like that. It's worth just taking a few minutes and reading through this so you can understand how to pronounce the names that you that you see throughout the story.
Speaker 3: Speaking of pronunciation, are you aware of a good maybe audiobook of the Filmarillion?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So, I mean, there's definitely the one on audible. I have one on Audible that I listened to from time to time.
Speaker 3: I just find that helpful when I'm reading something where I feel like it's hard to pronounce names.
Speaker 1: Now, I can't promise you that they pronounce everything correctly in that this is the thing. So but if I remember from what I listened to it before, I thought it was pretty accurate.
Speaker 2: So good to know.
Speaker 1: And hey, at the end of the day, there's sometimes I could be wrong about certain things, so you know, I mean, yeah, well I try to be I try really hard. I try really hard to get these things right. But sometimes it's even a little confusing with what's written in the in these guides.
Speaker 2: But again, that's why we have you guys, that's right. We have lots of people that that's.
Speaker 1: Why we have each other, one big, happy fellowship exactly right, exactly all right. And then we have an index of names. This is exactly what it says, helpful for determining meetings of various names. Okay, so you can go in here and you can find let's see, for example, Menas Tirith, Tower of Watch. There you go. We have Mythrondier, the Gray Pilgrim aka Gandalf right, So yeah, cool things like that that can tell us the actual meanings of certain names and places. And then the last thing is the appendix elements in Quinya and Sindar in names. So this is if you really want to nerd out on languages, this is a good place to go. Right. So, no book by Tolkien would be complete without something like this, right without a philology reference. So there you go. Boom awesome, boom awesome, awesome. All right. Maps, maps, all right, So we've talked about the map already a little bit. Here's the deal. This map is of bealariond. You're Bellarion is Middle Earth, okay, but it's not the Middle Earth you're familiar with. You'll understand how bil Areon relates to the rest of Middle Earth. As you get into the story. You can see my map of the Third Age of Middle Earth behind me. Right here, Bellarion lies to the west of what you see of Middle Earth. Right now, you're like, how can that be right because it looks like it's continuous. Well, we'll find out why that is, all right, Stay tuned, stay tuned, all right, And it's in the map of Belarion. Is not even going to be relevant until it's not going to be relevant in the first ten chapters. Right. There's a couple of parts where it actually is a little relevant early on, but it's not for very long. Most of the action in the first ten chapter happens in this place called the Blessed Realm, and we don't have a map for that. We don't have an official map for that. However, we will provide some links in the show notes to show some other artists renderings of the Blessed Realm and maybe just kind of how the whole world looks at that point. And don't forget, there's this great reference called the Atlas of Metal Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad, And this thing is extremely useful. It's really well put together. I think it had Christopher Tolkien's blessing, but it's regardless, it is pretty accurate it and it does a great job of like showing lots of locations throughout the first age. It's great even if you're just a fan of the Third Age. I mean, there's like so many great maps in this thing, so I highly recommend picking up a copy. We'll also put a link to that in the show notes. So, Greta, that's it for the That's it for this introduction to this film. Million all your questions answered.
Speaker 2: Yep, I it has been wedded.
Speaker 1: Your appetite has been wetted. That's what I like to hear.
Speaker 3: I feel ready, right on, ready to tackle the Summarillium for the second time.
Speaker 1: Boom, ready for this journey.
Speaker 2: This was a good refresher.
Speaker 1: On the next episode, we'll be diving into delay the creation story of Middle Earth. And make sure to check out tolkien Road dot com for show notes and a whole bunch of very helpful links. Or if you're watching on YouTube, you can check the uh you can check the the notes down there, and if and if you're looking at watching or listening on a podcast app, you can probably see a lot of the notes in there as well. Dude.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we never did our air five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, we weren't getting a lot of ups back on on our YouTube channel, so you know why. It was an experiment. You know, we got a few over time, but if you want to bring it back, you just got to start doing. You got to start.
Speaker 2: Wow throwing down the YouTube. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know we try different things over the years. It's here and there see what people have fun with trial and error and speaking of experiments, one thing we did for a long time that people really liked and we stopped doing it. We're going to start doing again. Haiku hiku. So I did a I did a you know, this is intro. So you know it wasn't really one I thought we would do like a big haikus. I didn't ask credit to do one for this week, but I did do one. I did do one just because I want to kind of set the haiku tone. So here you go. You ready for this credit? All right? The silm Million not an easy book to read challenge scripture.
Speaker 2: Like I thought Silmarillion was five syllables.
Speaker 1: The Silma Rellion, I.
Speaker 2: Thought it was Silma Rellion.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm speaking in American style here, So okay, we can just say selm million not an easy book to read, challenge scripture like Boom fixed, I'll accept it. Well, the International Haiku Authority has accepted my haiku. This is an acceptable haiku.
Speaker 2: Oh I expect better next time.
Speaker 1: Very well? Yeah, well you better bring it pretty argoing. If you want to start out all critical like that, I'm going to be critical back at you.
Speaker 2: Challenge accepted, all right?
Speaker 1: All right, you want your hikup red in a future episode? Hook us up with your haiku. Each episode will be picking one out, one lucky listener to have their haiku red on air, So go ahead and get them in. Asaph, I'm so glad we.
Speaker 2: Do win this again.
Speaker 1: Me too too. It'sna be fun. So the deadline for I New Lind Delay is January fifth, twenty twenty two, So this episode releases on January third, though if you're watching on YouTube, you'll probably see it before then, and our patrons will see it before then. So hook us up with your haiku right January fifth, twenty twenty two. Even if you're not sure, still try to get it in and we'll you know it could we might not record that soon, and then our deadline for Valaquenta is January ninth, twenty twenty two, and we'll keep you posted as other deadlines them up, so just kind of stagger it based on a week after that. So probably the next one after that is January sixteenth, and even if we don't get them in on that particular episode, we'll probably get him in on our live Q and A. Right, we'll probably try and do a you know, go back and look at some haiku on our live Q and a Q and a later cool, cool, live high Q and a nice All right, y'all, so leave us a rating and review, subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes or the platform of your choice. If you are a five star fan of The Tolkien Road, you can really help us out by heading over to iTunes or your preferred source for the show and dropping us a rating and review. When you do that, it helps get the word out about The Tolkien Road, which helps us to keep on everring on and correspondence. So we're gonna save our correspondence. You know, in the past, we've done correspondents at the end of most episodes in order to make sure we get these episodes really right. We have a time time for we don't feel rushed. I want to save our correspondence, and you know, I'm gonna to be like picking the best correspondence that we receive and you know, really saving that for our monthly discussions, right, So our monthly Q and A, and we're going to respond to notes who receive and that kind of thing on the episode. I'm also going to do a better job of just keeping up with the shorter nice notes that you guys send us and everything. You might make it on the air, you might not, but no matter what, we always appreciate it. And I you know, Greta will tell you we get awesome notes from people all the time that I just forward to her and I'm just like, this is an awesome note. Yeah, right, yeah, because it puts the wind in our sales.
Speaker 2: To hear from y'all, it really does.
Speaker 1: So yeah, drop us a line. You can correspond with us in a number of ways. YouTube comments on any episode, tolkienrooad dot com, comments in private contact form, email Tolkien Roadpodcast at gmail dot com, Twitter at Tolkien Road, and you can also find us on Instagram and Facebook. So yeah, looking forward to these live Q and A episodes we do. So let's let's make the correspondence awesome, folks, let's do it all right, Yes, okay, So this most livestream I think right now if I to go and put this out there, so I believe we have it scheduled for uh let's see here the nineteenth, So Wednesday, the nineteenth of January at seven pm Central Time, at eight pm Eastern, five pm Pacific. And that's going to be our plan. Become a if you want to join in that, make sure you become a patron of time and we will be sending out the link for that to our patrons. So sound good.
Speaker 2: That sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited to be long for the rat.
Speaker 1: As am I as am I all right? Speaking of patrons, thank you to these amazing patrons. John R.
Speaker 4: Caitlin of t with Tolkien mis Anonymous, Andrew T. RedHawks, Shannon S. Brian O, Emilio P Zeke F, James A, James L. Chrisell, Chuck f izv Ish of the Hammer, Teresa C.
Speaker 1: David of Pines with Jack Jonathan D, Eric S.
Speaker 2: Eric B.
Speaker 1: Johanna T. Mike M, Robert H.
Speaker 2: Paul D.
Speaker 1: Julia and as well as those celebrating their patron anniversary in January of twenty twenty two, twenty two, Tyler W, Mike M, Eleena Vee, Richard K, Melanie Scott W, Jason T.
Speaker 2: David G.
Speaker 1: And John R. Thanks guys, Thanks y'all, and we will We enjoyed this episode. We're looking forward to this journey and we will talk at you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye y'all, good bye,