Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. As my mother pointed out this morning, Oh that was so funny when Gary was so happy that you were gone and it was so quiet and it was all peaceful, and I was like, oh, really, mom, was it so funny?
Speaker 2: She did tell me that I need to be careful when you come back to work today.
Speaker 3: I mean, you were at work yesterday.
Speaker 1: Ever really worried about me after this whole. So I was out on Saturday night with jo Quan and my husband and we're at Golden Road Brewing and they had the Harbab bowl on and they were both very protective of me. They're like, don't look over there, don't look over I'm like, why, it was twelve years ago, It's fine. And I was just looking at the changes in the game. How different the game looks from twelve years ago, of top to bottom, the broadcast, the production value, the you know, the pads, the everything everyone looks. So everything looks so different from twelve years ago. It doesn't feel like that long ago, but it was, And so I was fascinated that they thought I was gonna have a melt down there in Golden Road, and then last night everyone's all very quiet and walking on eggshells.
Speaker 4: I'm fine.
Speaker 1: In fact, it kind of was cathartic being on the sideline with Jim Harbaugh and him losing to his brother John.
Speaker 4: And also it was a great game.
Speaker 1: The Chargers had some issues in terms of dropped passes, the calls. No, they weren't great calls. But Lamar Jackson is in the MVP.
Speaker 2: Discussion, Derek Henry, you said yesterday, Derrick Henry is an absolute beast. Yeah, And they were mentioning in the game, both Matt and DJ if he gets a running start, I mean, if he's four yards behind the line of scrimmage and gets the ball and runs, he's got at least three or four yards before he can I mean he falls that far.
Speaker 1: Denzel Perriman is the most violent, most the quickest.
Speaker 4: He's quicker than.
Speaker 1: He was his first iteration with the Chargers. It was a Denzel Perriman game. And he was injured unfortunately, and he knew it last week when he had to come out that he was going to miss this game, and this was a game he was designed to plug that hole and stop that run, and unfortunately he just wasn't available last night. It would be a very different game with him. So it wasn't disheartening, It wasn't a must win game. It was anything a little humbling for the Chargers. So it was at the end of the world.
Speaker 3: The other thing is you also get jokes.
Speaker 2: So when I do this nice de mere mindful video about how quiet it is here, people are like, oh, she's gonna be pissed.
Speaker 1: No, I know, but it isn't like I do get jokes. But it is true. I can be too much and too vocal. I need to be more mindful of that.
Speaker 2: Okay, If I would say, if we were in the situation we were in a few years ago, say late twenty nineteen, when we had a full staff of people, We had salespeople here, we had other shows that would come in, like, yeah, we had to be a little mindful of who else was.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter, it does not matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I need to be mindful of your own sensibility.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, everything is great. Everything is great. From today is pastathon.
Speaker 4: By the way, I know, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're going to be out at of course the Anaheim White House Restaurant. We'll talk about it throughout the course of the day today and leading up until pastathon, but we'll be there. In fact, every show will be there, starting with Amy at five in the morning.
Speaker 1: You know what made me kind of sad is I walked into the building. Is usually to your point that no one's here anymore. There was there's always like this big basket right out of the elevator banks where people can donate pasta, and by this time usually it is overflowing. Michelle's emptied it like three or four times because there's people that are here. I walked by this morning there were five boxes of pasta that I'm pretty sure Michelle put in there.
Speaker 4: Just it's awful.
Speaker 3: The pump, it's just awful.
Speaker 4: So that is the call to duty.
Speaker 1: We need more positive everyone's been We need help cut from the building.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So this is an issue that will be coming up very very quickly.
Speaker 3: Tariffs.
Speaker 2: President elect Trump said yesterday he's going to impose tariffs on all products coming into the United States from Canada, from Mexico, and from China in his first day in office. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. This is his opening salvo of negotiation before he becomes president. I don't believe that these will be imposed, at least not to the way he has said before. Because listen, remember he was going to build a wall in Mexico, was going to pay for it, et cetera, et cetera. This is his negotiating style. He leads with a very heavy hammer and then negotiates some way backwards from it. As we saw a statement from the president, the new president of Mexico in response.
Speaker 5: Neither threats nor tariffs will solve the issue of migration or drug consumption in the United States. Cooperation and shared understandings are required to face these important challenges. In posing one tariff would mean another comes in response.
Speaker 3: That is the key.
Speaker 2: Again, that was the statement from the President of Mexico, Claudia Steinbaum.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: The issue of tariffs is a sticky one because, yes, if tariffs are imposed, it immediately means inflation, which is one of the reasons why Trump won the White House in the first place is people are upset about the cost of living across the United States.
Speaker 1: Yes, he has insisted that foreign companies pay the tariffs, but they're actually paid by the company that brings in the goods. So that's where the inflation comes from.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: If the American companies have to pay the tariffs that are supposed to be paid for by the foreign companies, they are going to pass it on to us to the American consumers. Also imposing these violates an agreement that Trump himself signed in twenty twenty, the terms of the North American Trade Agreement.
Speaker 4: So you could face a flurry.
Speaker 1: Of legal challenges because of that and maybe throw out the whole thing out the window.
Speaker 2: He knows what he's doing. He knows what he's doing when he says things like this. These three obviously make up the top three trading partners with the United States. And if he comes in and has this attitude from the beginning, yeah, it sets a tone that.
Speaker 4: It sets I'm not messing around with you people tone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean it's a key that he's also doing it and saying all of this and raising this before he's president, because he understands the power that he has got as the president elect before he's even inaugurated. Coming up, it's also important to point out, I'm I have not seen a lot of fever about this. But he has not done any sort of interviews or I mean, he's busy, He's doing some things. But at what point do we start hearing the same drumbeat of President elect should get out there and hold a news conference just to kind of update us on how things I would.
Speaker 1: Rather him get things done behind the scenes than get out there and start rambling for ninety minutes, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Actually, you're probably right.
Speaker 2: It probably would hurt his cause that right now, him being quiet getting things done.
Speaker 4: It looks responsible.
Speaker 2: Dare I say the Wall Street has been hanging near its records despite this potential threat of tariffs. Right now, the Dow has lost about one hundred and twenty nine points, but is still at forty four thousand, six hundred and eleven s and P five hundred and Nasdaq are just slightly into positive territory this morning.
Speaker 6: Hey Shannon Rebecca, Pasadena, I'm a suffering USC trojan alone and fan, and and I understand the walking on eggshells. When I walk in towards the gym on a Sunday morning after a Trojan loss, my gym workout partner looks around and goes she's here, no talking, but I got it. People are afraid of us. Get used to it.
Speaker 4: Let's well, you know I have.
Speaker 1: I have laid out a body's life's work, a lifetime body of work, of being completely irrational following a loss.
Speaker 4: But that was I think, by and large.
Speaker 3: Before driven drugshol problems.
Speaker 1: Sometimes and also before I started working for the Chargers, when I was just an irrational fan. Now I think I've got a little bit of a better understanding, or I've been beaten down so much that I'm dead inside, so I don't really feel it as much.
Speaker 3: Well, that is interesting.
Speaker 2: You've seen, i mean, for lack of a better term, you've seen how the sausage is made right, You've seen how these how the players deal.
Speaker 1: With Yeah, something like that. I felt closer to it. I felt awful this morning. I was just hoping that somebody has disconnected and taking away the phone for Q for Quentin Johnston, because I mean, that was just awful, and that he's gotten eviscerated on social media all morning. And I get it, but I feel bad, and you know, and I just put that alongside of what I was saying about Michael Crabtree right right, like same Harba Bull and I was like, af Michael Crabtree and oh my god, how do you not catch that? Why?
Speaker 4: They I was a psychopath? And now I know.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for the Michael Crabtree of the game. Travel has gone relatively well. Yesterday, there were only about forty canceled flights throughout the United States, which is pretty good. As of today, as of right now, there's only about fifty eight canceled flights, several delays, about one thousand to maybe fourteen hundred delays. That's not highly unusual, but we are dealing with severe amounts of traffic. According to Triple A, by the way, the worst place to be tomorrow night, I don't know if you've ever done this. The worst place to be on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is northbound I five between LA and Bakersfield.
Speaker 3: It is awful.
Speaker 2: And they're talking about usually, you know, if you leave from downtown LA somewhere ish, from LA to Bakersfield, it's about a two hour drive. They're saying at least four hours tomorrow afternoon on that same drive.
Speaker 1: The past couple of years i've driven it, it's only been between downtown LA and once you get near.
Speaker 3: Santa Clarita and then it clears up, it clears up. I have done.
Speaker 2: I have done that trip multiple times up by five on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I don't The place I get it is at about Harris Ranch where you start. You go buy that feed lot, not Hair's range, the restaurant, but that feed lot.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And all you see for miles is break lights and there's no reason. It's just there's a lot of people on the road at the same time.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that drives me crazy is when there's no reason.
Speaker 2: Not even not fog, not an accident, having to turn the wheel.
Speaker 1: So President Biden is proposing an expansion of coverage for weight loss drugs. His administration proposed a new rule today that would require Medicare and Medicaid to offer coverage of medications like ozempic, wagovi, monjaro. Previously, Medicare Medicaid only covered those drugs when prescribed for things like diabetes. So the White House says the new rule would expand access for more than seven million Americans who use this who's on Medicare or Medicaid, it's usually the retired.
Speaker 3: Retired, sometimes disabled elderly for the Yeah, it's one of those.
Speaker 1: If I'm elderly and I'm on Medicare, I'm going to eat all the ice cream I want.
Speaker 3: If I'm a.
Speaker 2: Novo Nordisk stock owner, I love this song. Billions of dollars guaranteed to that company.
Speaker 4: And that's where you got to look follow the money.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's listen.
Speaker 2: I know people have problems with RFK Junior and his personal past, but this is exactly the kind of thing that he wants to fight against. And he is not a fan of ozembic or wigov or those types of drugs specifically for weight loss, maybe for treating diabetes. But when you try to use it as a I'm trying not to discount what it does, but if you're using it as a vanity drug. In Southern California, we know plenty of people who are on this thing. They're using it as a vanity drug, not as healthcare, then you run the risk of potential ridiculously bad complications from this.
Speaker 4: So I have a question about that.
Speaker 1: To that point is if the government and essentially subsidizes this drug and people develop long term problems that we don't even know about. Is the government liable for those long term problems? You can make that case now. I was looking up ozepic as it relates to diabetes. This was FDA approved for the treatment of type two diabetes not very long ago. It was December twenty seventeen, so we're not even ten years into this now.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: How it's used for diabetes versus how it's used for weight loss. If it's similar dosages or how often or the same thing, it's the same.
Speaker 2: It's the same, okay, because because if nothing else, simply cutting weight is one of the great ways to fight against diabetes. It's not a be all, end all, but that's one of the great ways to get your body out of its diabetic situation, if you want to call it that. So it's it's basically the same thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe it's fine, but why don't we wait a few years at least to see what people who have.
Speaker 4: Been on it for ten years or so.
Speaker 3: Say. I there is a there was also an article.
Speaker 2: I didn't have a Kiana printed out, but there was an article in the Daily Mail today. It was It was a column written by a woman who's been on ozempic for several several months I think, is what she wrote. And she's lost a lot of weight. She feels great about herself, she likes her body size, she's I mean, she feels more comfortable in her skin, she has a lot more energy, her sex drive is gone gone. And she said that her husband has been begging her to get off of this stuff. I liked you the way you were, but there are changes that go on in your body. Some of the great things that we've seen, some of the great side effects about lower risk of death, lower heart disease, those types of things come from the lack of weight or the you know, reducing your weight. But RFK, for example, said that same amount of money, the thirty five billion dollars that they're talking about, that this could cost if you spent thirty five billion dollars producing non GMO foods or un you know, non ultra processed foods and literally sent food to people every day, you would be able to feed millions of people healthy food as opposed to getting them hooked on an ozembic or some other GLP one that we don't know what the end result is going to be.
Speaker 1: PSA pushes for the benefits of healthy eating right. You don't see any of that. It's like this silly little secret where we're being pushed diabetes left and right. When you watch television, you know, get pay five dollars, get six entrees at Burgers r us at.
Speaker 2: One of those one of those great moments of aha. If you're if you're trying to eat healthy, be healthy, lose weight, any of those things is you can never exercise your way out of a bad diet.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't work. Your body does not respond that way.
Speaker 1: It's it's fifteen percent exercise eighty five percent what you put in your mouth.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 4: And you said this to me years ago.
Speaker 1: I had had a bagel or some sort of breakfast item and I said, well, I'm going to and you looked at it.
Speaker 3: This was many years ago, before the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like do you even know what I'm talking about? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I said, well, I'm going to work out later. And you said, that's not how it works.
Speaker 3: What an arrogant ass to have said something.
Speaker 1: You're right, that's not how it works. I could eat a bagel and crim cheese right now and do forty five minutes of cardio and it would not erase the bagel and crim cheese.
Speaker 3: Well, I apologize on behalf of forty year old me.
Speaker 1: Because she was a d No, it was more like thirty seven, thirty eight even more. But you know, I mean that was a different time. Yeah, my body was going through some changes anyway. So arafk Junior, listen, if my husband can say it to me, you know.
Speaker 2: If he can, I shouldn't say something like that.
Speaker 4: Well, you weren't as demonstrative as he was.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Ukraine's military says that Russia launched one hundred and eighty eight attack drones overnight. There was a record number. Ukrainian air Force said it shot down most of the drones in this massive attack, but then nearly all the rest had disappeared from radar, and they sat. It's not quite sure how many had been intercepted by other means like electronic interference, how many had actually struck their targets, but they did say there was some critical infrastructure hit. Israeli warplanes hit Bay Roots southern suburbs with a wave of air strikes just before Israel's cabinet met to discuss a ceasefire deal with Hesbelah, a senior Israeli official, and the Lebanese foreign minister said, they are optive mystic that a ceasefire deal could be reached that would at least end the war that's going on between Israel and Hasbellah, just not the war between Israel and Hamas. Did you hear about the stink up on the space station?
Speaker 4: No, tell me everything.
Speaker 2: So Russian spacecraft docked at the International Space Station last weekend. It was unpiloted, unmanned, called a Progress ninety resupply mission. They just basically send a bunch of stuff up there that you use on the International Space Station, they say. Once it got there, they opened it up and the cosmonauts on that side of the space station noticed an unexpected odor and observed small droplets.
Speaker 3: Oh no, so they had.
Speaker 2: To close the Poyisk hatch to the rest of the Russian segment. They didn't describe what kind of odor was coming out of the Russian spacecraft, but they did say that it might have been toxic, so they had shigella.
Speaker 3: Shut it down and make sure that it's not something bad.
Speaker 1: Well, if it smells bad, it's probably something bad. But matre have been you know, some weird gases Jesus soft cheese gases. They gasses in space. Planets are made of gases.
Speaker 3: Yes, but.
Speaker 2: There have been leaky Russian spacecraft there before that have caused problems.
Speaker 1: So well, JF RFK Junior, excuse me so many Kennedy's so little time. Apparently he has been open about his struggles with addiction. He says, I was at the bottom of my class. I started doing heroin and I went to the top of my class. Suddenly I could sit still and I could read. This was an interview in July. He explained how he first tried LSD when he was fifteen, the summer his father was assassinated, so nineteen sixty eight. After LSD, he quickly moved on to heroin and cocaine, which were his drugs of choice until he finally managed to get sober fourteen years later. You can understand why somebody would plunge into a life of drugs after your father and your uncle were assassinated.
Speaker 2: Right, and the kind of family that he was from. And I don't mean the family dynamic. I mean the money, sure, the access, the access. Just you have expendable incomes and you run pretty fast. I would imagine that it would I'd be more surprised if he didn't fall into drugs.
Speaker 4: You run pretty fast as a Kennedy.
Speaker 1: And that's why they have been so so consumed by tragedy because of the lives that the type of lives they lead, right. He said the drugs hollowed out his life, destroyed his relationships, but made him a star student. His mind was so restless and turbulent. I could not sit still. All I wanted to do was go outside and play in the woods. I don't know that adderall and heroin had similar effects.
Speaker 2: Hey, everything has different effects on different people. The way the Daily Beast writes this up, by the way, and listen, RFK Junior is not perfect. But when he talks about the idea of wellness farms, we've talked about that before in terms of trying to wean people off of ADHD medication and anti anxiety medication, antidepressants, things like that. He's floated the idea of these wellness farms. But when the Daily Beast writes it up, it says they sound a lot like labor camps, so they're.
Speaker 1: Trying to get it into the concentration camp conversation.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, and.
Speaker 1: This is nothing new. People have gone you know, what makes you break an addiction? Working hard, working. For so many people we talked to you have gone into the military and completely flip their lives around for just having a routine and physical You get up in the morning and you work hard. You don't have enough strength to get into your addictions anymore. Your dog tired, You go to bed, and you get up in the next morning and you do the same thing. I mean that works for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why it has to be derided as some sort of you know, totalitarian, right version of you know, what's wrong.
Speaker 1: With trying to cocktail nap and getting people healthy and off drugs and pharmaceuticals.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: What's wrong with just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, whether it's a wellness camp or going somewhere and working hard, going do a gym for thirty days, or what have you like?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with that? I think the more ideas the better.
Speaker 2: There's another one also where later in the same article, he talks about blaming the pharmaceutical industry for the proliferation of mass shootings in America. And I don't know if it's always true, but we've seen in many of the cases, especially young men between the ages of say, sixteen and twenty six, where they are on these anti anxiety medications. That is a pretty common thread amongst mass shooters, especially when it comes to schools shootings. And this guy just goes. You know, gun ownership has remained relatively stable, but there's no way that it's it's ADHD drugs.
Speaker 4: How do you know, just because probably a combination of a many factor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's keep looking at all of them.
Speaker 1: And I'm saying, why not just keep having more ideas on how to fix people.
Speaker 7: Well, I want to thank you guys for ruining my happy morning. Oh, sitting here doing my wordle, listening to Gary and Shannon, drinking coffee, getting ready to toast an English muffin, slap a little peanut butter and jelly on yum, and go ahead and try to do spelling bee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now I'm going to eat a plain old bowl of cheerios.
Speaker 7: Thanks a lot, guys, you do your show.
Speaker 1: I love your morning. That is my morning. I go from wordle to spelling Bee. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich yesterday. You can have an English muffin you got a peanut butter and jelly English muf and just not seventeen the way that.
Speaker 4: We're advertised to do it.
Speaker 3: Come on, you deserve it.
Speaker 1: I mean once in a while it's fine, okay, but you know you want to make a healthy decision, that's great too. I have honeynut cheerios in my home that I keep meaning to get into.
Speaker 3: I don't have cereal in my house.
Speaker 1: I don't usually, but my husband heard us talking about honeynut cheerios and so procured some for me. Wicked is raking in the cash now holds the record for the best Monday for a movie in November. It's getting a little crazy, isn't it, with the whole Wicked mania. I saw this headline today from Vulture, It's time to second guess Alphaba's Broom, written by Jason Frank, and it's an entire article about the broom. He says, it's hard to focus on everything we're supposed to focus on when the dynamics of Alphaba's broom may absolutely no sense. We're not asking for realism, he writes. It's a flying broomstick, but we'd like to have it to follow some form of logic.
Speaker 4: And then he goes on to talk about it.
Speaker 1: During Defying Gravity, she attempts to make herself grow wings, but instead accidentally in chance a broom to fly. It would make more sense if the broom also grew wings, but that is impossible because the actual goal is for the movie to explain how she gets the Wicked Witch's broom. Then Alpha but jumps out of a window and loses it. She falls through the air, the broom comes flying to her as if she controls it, though she absolutely does not control the flying monkeys. I'm like, do you hear yourself when you're writing this article? It sounds like it's not about the broom or the monkeys. It sounds like he's going through something. You want logic for a Wicked Witch movie. Come on, it's time for Terror in the Skies.
Speaker 4: Like it?
Speaker 2: Nero Nior, You're a layer the day off, Roger, get off my plane's Turctor, Victor.
Speaker 4: Enough is enough?
Speaker 3: I have handed with these mucky pint and snakes on his money. It's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the Skies.
Speaker 2: OK. I get the feeling that we'll see a lot more of these Terror in the Sky stories next week. After the Thanksgiving holiday because they're talking about there being such ridiculous numbers of people going through TSA check lines the next several days. Here's one video recorded on a United Airlines flight from Austin to la just about a week ago. The guy holding both an aisle and an exit row seat while turned around, kicking the chair in the middle with enough force to knock it back into the empty row behind him. Whoever this guy was dark jumper, grace, sweatpants, white tennis shoes, usually using his right foot to stamp on the seat. Video showed the same sequence occurring for about thirty seconds before it ends with the guy jumping on the seat in what appears to be a final attempt to dismantle it. No idea why why he was taking it out on the seat, but United Airlines said that the guy was banned from taking any further flights with United Airlines. The clip was recorded by a guy out of San Diego works as an addiction counselor, said that he woke up to this guy and eventually helped restrain him. He says, I woke up to him kicking the seat. The flight attendant walked by a couple of times and nobody was doing anything.
Speaker 3: I restrained him.
Speaker 2: Two other passengers were already getting zip ties, so he zip tied his hands and feet and seat belted him to the seat. About forty minutes away from landing, and police came on board. When they landed. There were only about seventy six people on that plane, five crew members, and a spokesperson for United said it was an LA Airport police that eventually got him and took him off.
Speaker 3: Took him off the plane.
Speaker 1: I'm getting to the point where I kind of want to have one of these flights where someone loses it, Like I think it would be wildly entertaining.
Speaker 3: I think you'd be scared.
Speaker 1: I think I would be scared in But then I'd have fun telling the story. I'd have fun telling the story. I'd get a lot of miles out of it. And I'd also have a fun time watching. Just everyday people pummel the man, you know, just take matters into their own head.
Speaker 2: Bob the addiction counselor out of San Diego, Yeah, and Kevin the forklift operator long Beach, Hell, Yes, just dropping.
Speaker 4: They would kick that guy's ass.
Speaker 6: Up.
Speaker 2: Next, Gavin Newsom is flipping the middle finger to Elon Musk for no reason at all. Don't forget you miss any part of this show, you can find it on demand. Just open the app, search for Gary and Shannon on the iHeart app or anywhere you find your favorite What a Little Man Gavin?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, that's coming up next on Gary and Channon. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app