Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio AP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Alan about here Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is is like Quinn Mike, Quinn couldn't come up with the ID. I was gonna say Kate and Kate, I forgot my name like our last caller, and that we have my guy Juan with breaking news.
Speaker 3: This is I on the.
Speaker 1: Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 4: Fifty A Happy Monday to everyone out there.
Speaker 5: Here's truly mister goody two shoes, Mihitolindo, whatever nickname you want to call me, I do it all. Starting breaking news with something I wanted to talk about. I don't like talking about it, but there was a Texas man that was the rest of today for charges with talking. Uh Caitlin Clark, Yeah, what'd you say? What in the world are they thinking?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, what is that? What is the deal that you won that you would? I mean send that to a woman, I mean like what what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 6: What are you? What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Some of us?
Speaker 6: So what's going on in your life?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's kind of and he was out he got a rested in Indianapolis. He did, he was out there, he was out there visiting. He said he was gonna be there, sit behind the bench with fifty five year old man. Fifty five year old text, well, better things to do. I wonder if they snapped. I mean, were you? Were you that much of a lunatic for fifty four years? And then uh, and then it just kind of manifested. Someone caught you now, I mean shows up and say yeah, it's yeah, got drunk one night. It's like, man, you know, I'll tell you what what these what these women in the w NBA are going through right now? I mean, I look, they got a lot of notoriety and everything, and that's great. But what they're going through in terms of harassment, uh, racist comments and everything, sexist comments?
Speaker 7: What is?
Speaker 6: What do we come to.
Speaker 5: Going into going into some Arizona athletics news. The preseason rankings came out for Arizona baseball. They are at number twenty one. Twenty one, Okay. Someone we talked about that last week. Uh, they said they were twelve and maybe a poll or two. I'm not sure what poll that was, but I know we had Greg Hanson and Jay was with me on the casino.
Speaker 2: They said twelve. I said, that's interesting.
Speaker 7: I did.
Speaker 5: I did see one, but d one baseball pros and Poll has them a twenty one.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you covering a specific beat or are.
Speaker 4: You still kind of whatever they need me to.
Speaker 5: He did talk about how I'll be at some of those this upcoming season along with softball, a little bit of maybe track.
Speaker 6: Do you have you have you want to get tickets to softball? Do I have tickets?
Speaker 2: So? Do you want to get tickets? Do I want to get to So? I'm not even sure if I want to get to you. I mean that's what I'm asking. I can go? Can you get me some? Can you no.
Speaker 1: Going?
Speaker 6: Do you finally have an inn? You find it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: You want me to buy you tickets to?
Speaker 2: That's where I thought you were, buddy? How about how about you go get yourself a ticket to?
Speaker 6: What do I think?
Speaker 3: What you?
Speaker 6: Why do you think I have you as a friend?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly, Oh I forgot I want I was here when they built that stadium. It's like going, man, what then?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Then you wind to the old one? Well, I guess it was there must have been the old one. It was the old ones. Yeah, the boy, I'll tell you what. It's what a great team. I mean, it's just just so fun to watch. Yeah, there's no way that I could get, you know, season tickets on this here. I just can't go to Okay, that's that's all that. Yeah, I mean, if you want me to get you one, that's all. I want to get a season ticket. But you know I need someone to go to go with. Yeah, there you go. Well it'd be fun. I mean i'd go to games. Remember how much fun would that be? Yeah, it wouldn't be that much fun, but how much were you Well, you'd have to sit next to me. It's like we'd have to get three seats. You go in your body all to so Arizona football.
Speaker 4: They got some more transfer portal pickers.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Defensive lineman Malachi Bailey from Alcorn State committed, Yeah, as well as Texas State linebacker Max Harris.
Speaker 2: So so, Mike, uh, you went to the uh the lower level colleges, whatever level that is, have something to prove when they get here, and they're going to play hard and determined for you or would you have rather have the Ohio State third stringer company.
Speaker 6: Here to play.
Speaker 2: I think I'd rather have the player from the lower the FBS or because it's one of the smaller because because they want to play Division I football, they want to play okay. I mean these other guys are like, oh yeah, okay, you know I'm going to do you a favor and stop by your your team and and and and be out there. It's like going, you know, this isn't the way they did it at Ohio State.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't put up with that for a minute. That's assuming that happens. Yeah right right, No, no, no, I mean that's the trade after you gave me the uh. But yeah, no, I think that I would go. I go for the teams. I'd go for the I'd go for the people that are hungry, so you're not concerned with the level of competition that's coming in because a lot of people are oh they've been here and the nice coming here. One the p word passion. Give me somebody that has passion that wants to play in a team.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see these defensive backs that are gonna sit there and it's like going touch you and say, oh, oh okay, well you're down now. I want somebody that's going to hit. You saw that a lot, probably we saw that a lot. It's like going, I'm not gonna get hurt playing this game because I'm gonna go hit the portal like in about fifteen minutes. Okay, I'm done with that. I'm not gonna you know, no, come on, you see that, do you do? You? Uh?
Speaker 6: You've been here how long? Eight years?
Speaker 8: Maybe?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: Eight years?
Speaker 2: And you've had tickets nice tickets games? Did you ever think you saying nice tickets? I mean it's like there's not a bad seat that steadies. Do you do you want to go buy tickets for football? Can you give you no? Have you ever thought of not renewing?
Speaker 6: I've not.
Speaker 2: I've thought of not renewing because I can't afford it. Not not renewing because of discrimina in the summing time, not in the anytime, not in the jed time.
Speaker 3: Not.
Speaker 2: I only went to the sumbling games because I can't couldn't wait for that dude to get fired. Okay, I thought it was. I've seen players quit, I've seen players dog it. I've seen players that there's like going, guy, you know come on, man, you gotta play with play with something more than that.
Speaker 6: I've never seen a coach quit like that. That was pathetic.
Speaker 2: I mean, if that, if that dude got hired again, I would I would probably call this.
Speaker 6: He's not a head coach.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well that nettle. Yeah, okay, disappoint you were just no, no, no, yeah exactly.
Speaker 6: I checked it today. It's like put me on more meds.
Speaker 5: Uh to some Arizona basketball men's and women's both played this weekend. Women took on Iowa State. They did lose, seventy nine to fifty eight. That's their cycle straight loss there now two and three in the Big Twelve Conference schedule. Their next game this Thursday at Kansas State five thirty.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the breaking news from basketball today is this is a test for being a journalist. At least in my mind.
Speaker 4: I was working.
Speaker 2: I've been working since I asked you the question. Only in the top twenty five.
Speaker 5: No, they took on UCF this Saturday, one eighty eight to eighty. Obviously, we talked about Tommy Lloyd not being happy. Their opponent did get the nod into the top twenty five, number twenty five Baylor.
Speaker 2: For tomorrow they're going to take tomorrow's opponent.
Speaker 5: Tuesday, January fourteenth, nine, lovely, lovely, nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: Nine o'clock. Yeah, I thought it was eight o'clock. Now I get to sleep less now. But you know, so they played twenty five Baylor, that would mean that I think that they have a chance and knock got three number twenty top twenty five teams in a row.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cincinnatis three out of four.
Speaker 2: Three. I'm sorry because there was yeah the last which is well yeah, well the three three for three in terms of having to play talking in the coffee, yeah yeah, yeah, so no, that that'll be good. That should uh and then that's it. Who do they play this later this week?
Speaker 5: They play at Texas Tech on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Now, now the litmus test starts. Yeah, big home against Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State.
Speaker 4: Oklahoma State, Colorado. And then I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why I think that Iowa State game is going to be okay because you're excited about it getting oh yeah, yeah, well those are those are the teams that you know. Okay, this is why we got into the Big twelve to face and see where we stand.
Speaker 5: They already have us on ESPN eight thirty, the Big, the Big Monday Night, Monday Night, right, Big Big twelve at Monday Night. Yeah, whatever they calls next Monday Night, right right? Two Mondays, two Mondays. Okay, Yeah, it's gonna be fun. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: To the NBA Timberwolves, guard Anthony Edwards was fined fifty K form seeing Jester to the referees during their game. He's been fined almost more than a quarter million dollars down a few games.
Speaker 4: I don't think that he does, miss, I don't think much of it.
Speaker 5: Nicks Nick Saban said something when when Texas was gonna be fine for throwing the stuff and team rushing the field.
Speaker 4: You know you're worrying about twenty five dollars rat.
Speaker 5: Manure when you're ten ten miles deep in the elephant gotta Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that saving has a way with words. No, No, it's like twenty five bucks to me, and you know, maybe fifty to you. By the way, you want to get tickets targeting targets. Have you looked at the Kentucky Derby yet?
Speaker 4: Uh So, the.
Speaker 5: Seventy six Ers and the Flyers are going to be getting a new South Philadelphia arena in the year twenty thirty one.
Speaker 2: Okay, hopefully everyone's alive.
Speaker 4: To cause basketball there.
Speaker 5: It was a refreshed in the top twenty five. Auburn took the number one spot. Some notable Big twelve teams in there, number two, Iowa State, nine, ten Kansas State, Houston, and like we talked about Baylor sitting at number twenty five in Tennessee fall two Tennessee Tennessee finish shelter number six six. Cooper Flag over the weekend scored an acc freshman record forty two and their win against Notre Dame.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that dude is blowing it up.
Speaker 4: Is he?
Speaker 2: Uh? Do you think he's just playing against college competition or is he uh? Is that guy going to be doing all that in the pros? Remind me again, I was Cooper, Coop Flag?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Cooper Flag.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think he'll he'll be pretty good in the NBA because well he's he's kind of got that game for it. And he played with the the the big boys over the summer. He was one of the college guys that was invited to with the Yeah, and they were all very impressed.
Speaker 5: Right right to go ahead, I'm sorry to the NFL Mike McCarthy will not be returning as a Cowboys said coach, and oh I'm shocked.
Speaker 2: But guess what, this is just another chance for the Jerry Jones to screw it up. Yeah, I mean it's you know, they're talking about a lot of a lot of people. Dan on his names being mentioned a lot. I was just gonna say, I was just gonna say this was that was his ninth eighth coach since he's been there since he fired. Uh so, just off the top of your head, and you mentioned yet, who would you hire? I mean, just stop doubted without doing any Google search? Who would I Who would youire? Who's laugh who's available? The well when you sit there and you look about who they are, well, they got get rid of Dan Quinn. Well they didn't get rid of him, but they didn't. Yeah, they didn't keep them on. I think I would have to go for someone with a defensive mindset that doesn't.
Speaker 6: Often work, doesn't you don't think, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't have to see I don't they need offensive minded that's what wins games.
Speaker 4: Right, It didn't for the Broncos.
Speaker 5: They hired advanced Joseph who is a great defensive coach, not a good head coach. Vic Fangio a great defensive coach, not a good head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I wouldn't hire What I tell the Washington assistant Kingsbury, I wouldn't hire him.
Speaker 6: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: Well, I think somebody somebody talked about him maybe going to the Bears, and he's already said forget it.
Speaker 6: What about Twitter?
Speaker 5: You said, Uh, I speculate, and I think that they should go after him.
Speaker 4: Steve Sarkisian Lincoln, NY the Cowboys Lincoln. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I his his name's being mentioned in there, I'm in something like that. But yeah, uh he was, he was. He was one of the guys that was that was being mentioned. Might not be a good or a bad, bad pick, but Nick the guy who does they ask for that commercials?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What about uh Belichick? Belichick's not going to stick around in North Carolina? No, he's no, he will. This is it for him? So this is it for him. He's seventy two? Is seventy three? Twenty five year old girlfriend? No, he's got one one June. I think it's one one June. He's got a one million buy out becomes one million dollars plus ten million dollars by ten million dollars buy I mean it's like going Jerry Jones trips over that in his office. Yeah, I mean, he doesn't care about that. He'd buy him out and buy him out in a second. You don't think Belichick wants to go back to the pros? No, I don't know, Like fifteen games short of the NFL record for wins, I'll say no, I can't explain it otherwise. Yeah, yeah, well there was tomorrow. Good good, good insight, good good good argument. Yeah, we're done talking. Yeah, I'm marriage might try to speak run through this because we're run out of time. Patriots hired Mike Maybrow as their sixteen head coach for Patriots.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: The Eagles linebacker n Kobe Dean will be out for the rest of the playoffs, the big loss for the Eagles.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 5: The Chargers linebacker Khalil Mack says he's unsure of his football future. He's mulling retirement at the moment. Obviously, some playoff football over the weekend. Texas beat the Chargers, Ravens beat the Steelers, Bills beat the Broncos, Eagles beat the Packers, and the Commanders beat the Buccaneers and the thrilling Sunday night game. And that's about Penn State running backs returning for twenty five.
Speaker 2: And a game tonight right at six o'clock?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Six o'clock NFL the Rams.
Speaker 5: And the Rams and the Vikings playing in State Farm Stadium.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk to mister Bob Elliott on the other side.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 6: Money.
Speaker 1: That's money. Enter it right now, Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 11: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxure resource. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 6: Are you ready enterprise so Fasca Yuki try.
Speaker 12: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Monday to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, grab soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course to feel better and look better. It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 6: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 8: On twenty second, just west of will not Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from.
Speaker 6: Don't forget your corporate apparel.
Speaker 8: For a great shark to look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe Team dot Com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today, n MLS three H eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with um notice.
Speaker 6: Did you know?
Speaker 10: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the fast in sports.
Speaker 6: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust show Time Cars for their passion.
Speaker 9: Got bugs, termitespees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available.
Speaker 6: Which minimizes the effects on the environment.
Speaker 9: Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, spies, or rodents serving TUCSONA and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 7: Today.
Speaker 16: Baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredibly event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium. Build the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Visit World Baseball Classic dot Com just cure your seat today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona sports tourism and film authority.
Speaker 1: Streamy Live on the Ihearts radio wise, This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox sportsporteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera. You're Mike Quinn. Still no one the fun we have former you of a great basketball player, Bob Elliott. Bob, how are you doing here?
Speaker 7: Well? Doing great? Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: No, Hey, how can we not have you on? What a great cool, whatever word you want to use, thing you have going on on Thursday night? To tell us a little about it and we'll kind of expand on it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, this is a great opportunity for Tucson because you know, to bring an icon like Julius doctor j.
Speaker 7: Irving to Tucson, not in Phoenix. This is coming here.
Speaker 3: People get it, will get a chance to listen to him talk about his life, a lot.
Speaker 7: Of things he's gone through.
Speaker 3: And it's just not the kind of opportunity that.
Speaker 7: We usually get into times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me tell me your connection to him. Obviously you you're connected to him somehow.
Speaker 3: Yes, So it started I was drafted by the seventy sixers. You're going to training camp, and you know, all the veterans get their own room and all the rookies have to bunk up to a room. So after the first week there's a cut. There's a high number of rookies. I got my own room, and so some of the vets like Doug Collins and Henry Bibby. And at the time he was called World, I mean Lloyd Free Nights, World Be Free. But they're saying, now put freedom ugly rascals in one room. And Juliet said, now Bob to move in with me. And he literally has been my big brother ever since.
Speaker 2: Oh wowee, I didn't know that. I didn't had to be nineteen seventy seventy.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we have been like a joined like family since nineteen seventy seven. My kids call him Uncle Jay and we're family. I mean, it's been like, you know, almost forty forty years.
Speaker 2: So let me say this, because I remember meeting him here at the TCC had to be maybe twenty five years ago. Did you have something to do with that bringing him back.
Speaker 3: Here back twenty five years ago?
Speaker 2: About then something like that at the TCC. I don't know if he had a function or something, but now it all makes sense why he was around you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, I didn't bring him there then, but you know, coincidentally, so you know, he comes into town.
Speaker 7: Obviously, we get together and it's.
Speaker 3: About eight o'clock at night and we're both a little hungry.
Speaker 7: So there used to be a village.
Speaker 3: Inn at the corner of like Grant.
Speaker 7: Cob and Tanker Verdi Yah. So he's going in there and it's just the two of us in there.
Speaker 3: Plus one of the gentlemen. So this guy comes over. I don't think he wanted to bother Julius per se, but you know, he says, Bob, how you doing something great?
Speaker 7: Is that really?
Speaker 3: Julius Irving? And so Julius says, and nice to meet you. And he said, what do you guys doing at Billa je In at eight o'clock at night? I said, man, we want some cakes?
Speaker 6: What year was this?
Speaker 2: What year is this?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, this is this is more it's more than a few years ago, because that billage In has been gone for a long time.
Speaker 7: Right across with the dinosaur is at McDonald Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I know exactly where you're talking about it. Yeah, yeah, no, no, that's cool. That's cool. So you were a rookie, You were rookie and he brought you in and and.
Speaker 6: Stay that way. How were how were those times back then?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you what I learned quickly that in the rectangle, you know, basketball court is a rectangle that on the court or in the rectangle, he's doctor J. I saw him do things and practice.
Speaker 7: It in games that you just shake your head at.
Speaker 3: But off the court he's Julius. And at the time he was the iconic person for the whole league. I mean, he's the reason there was a merger between the a BA and the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely right, he was. He's the reason. I'll tell you what you know, growing up because I was in high school at that time. The uh it the fact that he was so humble when you had so many people out there that weren't and even now in the league, you know, you sit there and you compare some of the some of the showboating to what he did and who didn't want to be doctor J. Who didn't want to be Doctor J. Everyone wanted to be Doctor J.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that so My wife is the only person through my parents to watch me play competitive basketball junior, high, high school, college, pro. And so I get drafted by the Sixers. She doesn't see me for about maybe six weeks. Then I get released by the Sixers and we go over to Italy and the first game in Italy, I come out games over and she says, what was that? I said, what are you talking about? She said, no, no, no, what was that?
Speaker 7: You never went to the hole? Take it off, the dribble, dunking on folks, floating through the air.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 7: I don't know what you talk about? But she said, no, no, no, you have picked up some stuff from Julius.
Speaker 3: And you know, the great ones make everybody better. The great ones make everybody better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's no doubt about that. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Have you ever asked her who's your favorite NBA player?
Speaker 6: And she says, well, of course, doctor j.
Speaker 7: Yeah. That's a lot of kids, so I mean, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, the younger kids might not know him as well. You know, hopefully all they gotta do is google him. They'll see his highlights and he would be great in today's game the way that that.
Speaker 7: He can, you know, go to the hole and float and with social media. I mean some of his dunks in games are like just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, explain to us, are you talking about since Thursday night? Where when are people able to get there and go see what's the situation?
Speaker 3: Well, at this point we are basically sold out. TUSIGN has really responded, as they have with the museum. I mean, you know, and so we'll be at Palibverti High School at six o'clock. But a lot of people have called us or emailed us and said, well, we're just going to show up. And you know, since we're tied to you of a foundation, we don't sell tickets. Everything is about donations, and so some people are just going to show up and see if we've got a couple more seats. And it's like, well, if you do that, you know you take a risk. But at the same time, you just never know. I mean, how many times are you gonna get opportunity to see and listen to Julius Irving right there? And part of reason why we do it. At Palaverti High School, they have about three or four years ago they renovated their auditorium. It seats twelve.
Speaker 7: Hundred and two but there's not a bad seat in the whole place.
Speaker 3: You know, we probably could have sold more people to go in there, like if you go like to the Centennial Hall where it holds twenty five hundred.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I've.
Speaker 3: Always felt like for a fireside chat, it needs to be personal. It needs to be something that you feel like you can just reach out and touch somebody and you can make eye contact with the people on the stage. You can't do that for the second half of the seating at Centennial Hall, right.
Speaker 6: Well, the last time you were.
Speaker 3: No by at PALAVERTI you can be in the top row of Palaverty and you feel like you can reach out and like you're really there. So it really lends itself to a fireside chatron Well, the last time.
Speaker 6: You did this, who set the loft?
Speaker 2: I think the loft was it with the student with students' daughter stay Stacy, And it was fantastic. He was fantastic because of the people you brought her in, which is she was fantastic, very lively, very bubbly, very bright U And then you some of the guys that you were your teammates with of some past guys, which was fantastic because of what is it going to be similar to that?
Speaker 3: It'll be similar, you know. This would be the fourth of our fireside Chats series. Two years ago we brought in Ruby Bridges, and school kids know Ruby Bridges most some adults may or may not. But Ruby Bridges is.
Speaker 7: The person in that Norman Rockwell painting iconic where there's a six year old black girl.
Speaker 3: Being escorted to school by four large white federal marshalls. She integrated the New Orleans school system in that series, and then that started integration throughout the WHO. So in nineteen sixty when she did that, it was November fourteenth, which is why across all across the US, November fourteenth has walked to school with Ruby Day. And there's over half a million people that will participate and did participate back on November fourteenth. And so we had Ruby Bridges here two years ago.
Speaker 7: Then we had.
Speaker 3: Stacy Snowden, Coach Snowden's daughter, and we did that one at the Loft.
Speaker 7: Which seats three hundred and seventy two. Then we go back to the.
Speaker 3: Palaverdi for Carlota Walls. She was one of the Little Rock nine, those nine high school students that integrated Central High School. So she was the third one and now Julius will be the fourth one in our fire side Chat series.
Speaker 2: Very nice and explain the proceeds and all that stuff, because that's all tied together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the proceeds go to the museum, so we can continue to have events, continue to provide artifacts.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things we do because you know, Tucson is really a poor town anytime. The average income family of four is forty six thousand a year.
Speaker 7: So what we do at the museum is we do not charge people to come to the museum. We do not charge people if they.
Speaker 3: Sign up for the newsletter, because you want people to have the opportunity to learn about some.
Speaker 7: Of this history that we've accumulated, some things that go on here in Tucson.
Speaker 3: And southern Arizona. But one of my favorite stories is about Quincy Douglas. Now, maybe you know about the Quincy Douglas Center over about thirty six and Campbell. Quincy Douglas was living in South Park area and the people there were saying it was tough to get to school, are going to go to work, et cetera. So she goes to Jim Klicks senior Boompom said, can you give me a couple of vans, teach a couple of guys how to drive these.
Speaker 7: Vans so we can take people to work.
Speaker 3: Then it grew and it grew some more to the point where the city of Tucson took it over.
Speaker 7: That's Sun tran.
Speaker 3: Quincy Douglass started the bus.
Speaker 7: System for Tucson, and people need to know that.
Speaker 6: Who talk a little more about this museum? Where is it, where what sort of things you have? Yet?
Speaker 2: How popular has it been since it's really new, really new?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we opened up January fourteenth of two. This will be our two year anniversary coming up tomorrow. As I look at my watch and see the date, we've had over seven thousand people go through that museum in these two years now. Just to give you a reference point, the State Museum with you know, across the street on campus, they might get.
Speaker 7: Two thousand in a year.
Speaker 3: We've had over seven thousand people go through there. The response has been phenomenal, The supports in the community has been phenomenal, and there's been some national programs that we've had and exhibits like one that came up back in October. It's called a slave story. So this lady in Peoria, Arizona contacted my wife who's the executive director of the museum, and says, I have the manuscript from my third great grandfather.
Speaker 7: Who was a slave.
Speaker 3: He actually kept a diary of everything that was going on, from how he ate, how his clothes were, and everything. We took that and turned it into almost like an audio book. And Larry Starks, who's the president of the Juneteenth Festival here in town, he ended up doing the voiceover. It goes national to the point where CNN USA today. Then we started getting proclamations for like Senator Warnock, Congressman Clyde Burne, Congresswoman I leave it went national because here's a chance to hear and see how an actual slave was living back then.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, now the impact that has must have been strong, very strong.
Speaker 6: Now it's done.
Speaker 2: You guys have done a great job, both all the vision and things like that, and how much more you guys have in store right coming up?
Speaker 3: We're the key is to keep it moving right. Luckily with some of the contacts that we have. So so if you notice the first three fireside chats for all women, So I'm like beb we got to bring a guy up in here.
Speaker 7: Come on now, So Julius, Julius and Bev.
Speaker 3: And I and and and his wife to read about six steven months ago. We're at dinner together and Julius gets the newsletter and he said, you know what, I want to do something to help the museum. And so Bed was like, hey, you know, if you can come in and do one of our firesid chests, I think that'd be great. It'd be great for the museum, it'd be great for two times.
Speaker 7: And so he agreed to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no questions, no questions. And you're right, you're right there in the student center, right at you of eight.
Speaker 7: Correct, Yes, yeah, we're in the student union.
Speaker 3: Right up literally a stone throw away from the bookstore. So most people think of there's a second street parking garage just north of the student union. If you come out of the garage and start walking, you see a Starbucks. Walk a few more steps, you see the bookstore. Go a few more steps. You're heading towards the mall, but don't go that far. Look to your left, that's exactly where we are, right across from the food court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll see you there tomorrow. Yeah, you'll go You're gonna go by because you're your teaching there all the time.
Speaker 6: So I stop. But the thing the.
Speaker 3: Normal yeah, normal hours or Wednesday through Saturday from ten to four.
Speaker 2: Ten to four, okay, cool, cool, But the thing on Thursdays at Pally Pelaverti six o'clock, it starts, and there's pretty much scarce right now, Bob. Let me let me say something real quick. Somebody called on Friday into the show and we were talking about I don't know, something random and some guy says, you know what, I miss Steve. And it was an older gentleman says, I missed the days of Bob Elliott and Dave sitting give me play by, give me game stories. And I think, God, that's really a bad long TI reference. It's a long time ago. And he says, yeah, that was you know, late late eighties, early nineties probably, And I said, you know what about Coach Larson was part of that group, you know, And I'm thinking I need to hear the story again, and we'll talk about Dave real quick. But because he's been gone now almost eleven year or little more than eleven years. But the story, the story about the Utah game and the bomb. I think people haven't heard that in ages.
Speaker 7: So this would be my I think it's a junior year.
Speaker 6: I think you have to I think you have to clean it up too, if I could remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't remember his junior or senior year. And we're up in Utah. We had a wound heck of a rivalry with them, and so with about two minutes left in the game, they're up about fifteen. Okay, they're handing us the business pretty well, and there's a timeout and the PA announcer comes on and says.
Speaker 7: Ladies and gentlemen, at the.
Speaker 3: Conclusion of tonight's game, please leave as quickly as possible. A bomb threat has been called into this arena. And I looked at Coach Slowton.
Speaker 7: I said, Coach, did you hear that?
Speaker 3: Y'all can stay here if you want to. I'm out of here. And so I grabbed my stuff and I said walking and coaches like Bobby, I said no, okay, And then a matter of fact, Miss Snowdon heard me talking to coach, said if Bobby's leaving, I'm leaving. And everybody said, we just walking up and leaving. Do you care? I don't care what the score is a bomb thread. We're right of here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, of course that's a great story. That's street story. And real quick, just.
Speaker 2: Remembering Dave sitting, you know, eleven years ago, one of the great guys in this community, and it just kind of random. Dude just called I missed those days, and I'm sure you missed those days too.
Speaker 7: I miss my man.
Speaker 3: See, people don't realize Dave and I came to U of A at the same time August of nineteen seventy three. We were both living in Braham Hall because the basketball players were on the first floor, the baseball players.
Speaker 7: Were on the second floor.
Speaker 3: And that's back in the day when nobody really had a TV in their room, so we had to go down to the TV room where everybody could go in there. And Star Trek was the thing.
Speaker 7: So we'd all be around here together watching Star Trek.
Speaker 3: And so Dave and I go back to nineteen seventy three, then you start growing up together, living in Tucside community together. Both of us are Catholic. We have our stories about how we were the group that when we were ten years old, they taught you the whole Mass in Latin and before you got a chance to be an altar boys.
Speaker 7: They switched it to English.
Speaker 3: Then you got the stories of you know, taking a little sip of the wine in the back because you know they're just sitting around there, laying around. I mean, you know, we go back and it's like, I think what people saw when we were broadcasting together.
Speaker 7: We're two guys.
Speaker 3: Who genuinely like each other, loved being together and were like family.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, the good old days.
Speaker 2: And I remember traveling with you guys in a car snowing new Portland and Dave driving. Oh god, I thought I was gonna die.
Speaker 3: No question, it's driving. Okay, here's my Dave's story. You know, so Dave, everybody knows hardcore American, hardcore Republican. Okay, So we're gonna drive after a game from Pullman, Washington, up back to the hotel in Spokane. It's a two lane road and people know that that particular area.
Speaker 7: Let's just put this way.
Speaker 3: Mark Furman, the police officer from the O. J.
Speaker 7: Simpson trial, was a season ticket holder at Washington State. Okay, let's just call it like that enough to know.
Speaker 3: So there are four cars in this caravan.
Speaker 7: Now here's where I made a mistake. I was driving. I should not have been driving. Hindsight's twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: But we were the second of the four cars, speed limits fifty five. We're probably going sixty two. And we passed this police officer and I look at my review mirror and here he comes, and I'm like, okay, why is he coming. He tells me to pull over, and I'm watching his body language, and I said, Dave, listen to me, don't say anything, don't do anything, and keep your hands on the I got my hands on the steering wheel. You put your hands on on the on the up here right. Police officer goes to inside and Dave right away, Officer, what's the problem, you know? I'm like, oh my god, he's gonna freaking get us thrown him sail and so and so. The guy says, I know I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 7: I'm talking to him.
Speaker 3: I want his driver's license and insurance car talking about me, So I give it to him. God goes back. He comes back to say, you were spading, wrote me up for going seventy five?
Speaker 7: Whoa in a fifty five? Wow?
Speaker 3: And Dave said I wanted I said, Dave, don't you say a freaking thing.
Speaker 7: We getting.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get back on the road, and that's it. And I said, Dave, would you just experience is what's known as d w B driving while black and and and Dave said, if I hadn't experienced it, I never would have really believe that this goes.
Speaker 7: On, he said, But I experienced it.
Speaker 3: I actually said the same story at its center.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember that. I remember. I think it was part of my book too, one of my books. Yeah, I remember very well. Well one it's terrible. But but in his experience in pullment is exactly how would discritch. It rings snowy, kind of tow wing highway. You gotta be careful. Uh. And it's always down the hill, down the hill, right side of the Idaho and oh man, he's exactly right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so you know, we're doing the game, and and and uh. During the production meeting before the game, they're like, hey, we got word that Mark Fermer is gonna be at the game.
Speaker 7: So, Bob, you know you should do the interview. I said, I'm not doing that interview.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 2: Well, well, Bob, Bob, well thanks for joining us. I will probably see you. We'll see you Thursday. Good luck on this tour. You're doing the media tour. You're doing the media tour for this.
Speaker 3: I am, I am, and and like I said, I look, I love these fireside cats because I get the chance to be David Letterman lobb and softballs up. Because people don't tell they're not coming to hear me. They're coming to hear Ruby Bridges. They're coming to hear Stacey Stowe, and they're coming to hear Carlota Walds. And now they'll come to hear Julius doctor j Irvy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Well, what a blessed to see him.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh, it is really something else to be close to a guy that is that great, that much of an icon uh and carries himself like a gentleman. So kudos kudos to him and and you, thanks man, we'll see you.
Speaker 3: We'll see you soon, all right, buddy, thanks, thanks great.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: I love his stories. Funny stories, fun stories. You've got to go already way over, So let's go. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludelson era. In my new book Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the code and the man who led them, competed against them and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 6: In your life.
Speaker 17: We off a complete line of caudio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment. What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tuson Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, oh Daniel Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 8: It's time for the Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa.
Speaker 6: Come see some of golf's.
Speaker 8: Greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Canquisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and coet So live in concert.
Speaker 6: At Rito Park.
Speaker 8: The Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer Awareness in Tucson Youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by Fallbaum Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Wall on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show?
Speaker 6: Call up?
Speaker 1: Steve now went five to two, four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball here Fox Sports Fortune fifty. I'm Steve Vera in today. Is Mike Quinn that one at the boards? You got about six minutes? Yeah, I'll trade that for Bob's a couple of good Yeah. Absolutely, and what a great one. What a great discussion to a great things he's doing. And man bringing in the doctor the doctor, Yeah, the doctor is in. I was gonna ask him. I don't know if he would know this, but one you might know this because you're paying attention. I know, I don't who's the current doctor j.
Speaker 6: Oh oh yeah Green? Is it Green?
Speaker 2: Or maybe Green is already out of the league. Houston morn Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's mora very very little.
Speaker 5: That's where my head was going, just because of the but you probably don't have a guy that the way that the way he used to pass.
Speaker 6: Well, that's thinking about it.
Speaker 2: You can come up with aspects like okay, this way dunk or the way he flew or the way shot way and the way he just moved. But yeah, the way he moved. I don't know if there's anybody man. It's like, you know, they they talked about the iceman George like that they talked about but there were just how many elements but they were parts of parts of it. I mean, no one had all the things that he had. I mean, he's absolutely right. It's like, well, that's the reason why the a BA and the NBA merged is because they were going to steal darker even even like with the magic, like you know who's who's you know, he could pass. Obviously he did what he did. UH and and the doctor And that's why I was a Sixer fan. Moses Malone when they dudes the Lakers six Ers UH championship series is pretty underrated. Eighty one I think it was any well, eighty eighty was eighty one, ay two maybe too the but it's like that series, you know that six Ers won, uh after the Lakers one the verse year that magic was there and then the next year they played the sixtuers is like Moses Malone Barkley actually joined them. That's where Jay comes up underneath Kareem and yeah there was something. Yeah, Darryl Dawkins, Darl Dawkins, chocolate thunder. Yeah, good gold days, the good old days. You're gonna tell tell us about this text message or you?
Speaker 3: No? No?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's like it's like, oh, this is gonna be the best.
Speaker 2: No no, no, okay, So we were talking about Sean Sean Tommy and his speech and his you know, rat for a few hours. So it's for a few minutes. Here's the guy who consists. The thing that you have to realize is that that post game press conference after the c F you game was pre planned with Baylor coming up. Lloyd knows exactly or needs what he needs to know the effort or wants to see the effort. This should fire up us prior to the game. Great motivation speech. Lloyd knows exactly what he's saying and why. Yeah, well, well if it was, that's very he's a good coach. You've been very uh insightful for the kicking that he needed to do. They also needed it they also needed it.
Speaker 4: Whoever, Arizona's playing after you see if they needed that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well he needed to know that in your hair, so you were It's like, holy moly, yeah, give me coffee.
Speaker 3: They need to know.
Speaker 6: That wasn't a great effort. You got to play forty minutes. Yeah, I guess. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: And it's funny people say this, Oh, that's a learning lesson, blah blah blah. How many learning you teach kids? How many learning lessons do you need to learn? They're they're not gonna learn that. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 7: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: It is it is because they're just like, you're gonna get out there, They're gonna be up by ten. They're gonna be like on two minutes left. Okay, yeah, well I'm done. I'm done.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: It's funny because.
Speaker 2: Well that's just athletes who are good usually are I mean, just yeah, it's like when I hear all the time, when I get it on my in my stories, when I write it this, Well they got that. At least they got the loss over over with it better now than in March. That's not going to prevent them from.
Speaker 6: Losing in March. No, I have nothing to do with it, and they didn't do with.
Speaker 2: Anything because guess what, they'll eventually lose in March. So we'll see the good thing right now, one and maybe two. Three weeks ago, Arizona was not in the projected tournament No. Sixty four to sixty eight teams. They were like last yeah yeah, now they maybe eight nine seed by some bachnology has because.
Speaker 5: You expect Arizona to if not went out at home, maybe one two losses at home.
Speaker 2: If they go nine and one, eight and two, that's gonna be okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, especially because they already have a road sweep under their belt, and I see them winning more on the road, right at least I think I think they can get three on the road.
Speaker 2: They keep playing like this and or they get even better. It's like, you know, well they get some opportunities. Here's your problem ahead, Oh, here's here's your problem. The other team has to say, yeah, yeah, yeah, they're gonna vote yeah, they actually get Arizona, Oh we could beat this team this in this stuff without you even evaluating the other team, right yeah, yeah, exactly. They're gonna want to win too. You're gonna want to there's teams that are gonna want to get in the tournament. Well, and I talked about this with Tommy in terms of them looking not so good on offense because it was like stuttering and very methodical, and that's not what he does that. He's just not good at it. Half court system, Well, Mike, if if I like to run and go and transition, what the hell are you gonna do to me? You're gonna try to prevent me from doing that, right, to hold the ball a little longer, slow down and people don't think about that.
Speaker 6: Of course that you can try to do that and guess what pro do? You be good at it? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those things like going. You know why is an Arizona running because the other team doesn't let them exactly that problem. They don't let it happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: The other thing you do is you get them off the boards. Okay, it starts. You want to run, rebound okay, And that's the problem is that we're not doing that. Hey, doctor, it hurts when I do this, So what should I do?
Speaker 6: Don't do that?
Speaker 3: Do that?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: He talks about the starting five last week. Did your has your opinion changed?
Speaker 2: Well to the points that we try to make. I think, uh uh, it's a better starting five with a group that's sitting down, right, But why mess with this? Yeah right, why mess with what's going on? Yeah, situations?
Speaker 5: I see it all over, especially from the students, because I see that side. They want base our starting, they want Lewis starting, they want Bryant starting, And I said, well, we're winning.
Speaker 4: Why would you change it?
Speaker 6: Well, would you become the coach? Guys?
Speaker 2: You could do exactly, exactly, exactly with their with their hours of experience.
Speaker 6: Why didn't you go to math one O one first?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Thank god Lloyd has your insights. Yes, yeah, write a letter. His email is we got to go. Hey, thanks for the show, good show. Thanks not for yawning so much. Yeah, well he got me bored at the end. Okay, thanks guys, another week here we go. See you, Wendy