Speaker 1: Well whiskey, come and take my pain the honey all ry, Oh why don't why think alone when you can drink it all? In with Ricochet's three Whiskey Happy Hour, join your bartenders, Steve Hayward, John You, and the international woman of Mystery, Lucretia. Where this laps it up, it'll live it, ain't you? Easy on the should taps? Got to give me and let that whiskey blon. Well, Happy semi Quinn Centennial, everybody, and welcome to this special bonus episode of the Three Whiskey Happy Hour. I am joined as always by the sho hey Otani of the conservative legal movement, John You, and by the Anaka Nilis of the conservative podcast world, better known as Lucretia. And why is shaking your head?
Speaker 2: I don't know how Nick any Well, that's because you're drinking framerus quantities of Ram and.
Speaker 1: Scott by now I'm sure, Oh no, they The second one was was meant to be obscure because I know we will have listeners who will know the Anika Nilis reference even if Lucretia doesn't. And I was thought I was channeling John What the way? What's the name Troy Sinek used to always do those things about you, and yeah, that's good. You see. Well I actually suggested once and he call you the show. Hey Otani and Richard the Aaron judge of the conservative legal movement, and he never did use it because he and.
Speaker 2: They're not really They've got to be like Yin and Yank types, not two of the same. They have to be opponents.
Speaker 1: Well wait a minute, I guess not.
Speaker 2: I guess he would use like Abbot and Costello, and yeah, so they're more like buddy. They have be more like buddies but also kind of rivals. Yeah, but but but John enemy's frenemies. That's what uh look a women call it, right.
Speaker 1: I don't think they are commensurate because Otani can pitch like crazy and Judge can't. I mean that to me is uh what talks sports a lotherer time. What we want to do is talk about the Declaration independence of two fifty. And I mean We've all been writing about it a lot here all year, and then I'm going to keep writing about it. And what are some of the lingering issues? There's several wee can take up, and I've lost track of what we've talked about. Here because I've been doing these individual podcasts with authors, which has been fun. But John, your latest Peace Let's start with your latest piece on this. John, you wrote a nashew about how the Declaration of Independence is not I guess I see, on the surface, right as everyone thinks all those attacks on the king, the framers were against executive power, and we do know that, you know, having a president was a having a president at all was a controversial subject at the Constitution Convention, and there was no executive in the Articles of Confederation, right, So.
Speaker 2: That is the sort of yes, superficial approach which I had to say was in Justice Justice Soto Mayor's descent in the presidential removal cases, where she says something along the lines of, you know, giving the president this massive powers a violation of the spirit of the American Revolution and the Declaration. So she gives this kind of usual superficial claim you hear all the time against the president. Oh, we would never have had kings. That's a violation of the Declaration of Independence. But I think if you actually take a close look at that declaration, you read it in its historical context. The reason they attack the king over and over again isn't because they're against the executive power. In fact, as I point on my arcle, the Declaration talks about executive powers over and over again, like the veto power. They don't say there shouldn't be a veto power. Interestingly, they just say the King has used it to stop laws that advance the public interest. So it's interesting not only they knowledge there should be veto power, they explain when they think it should be used. So the reason why the Declaration is styled that way, I argue, is because the king, even at this time the King in England, did not govern as an absolute monarch. It was the King in parliament.
Speaker 1: So it was really a.
Speaker 2: Way to attack the idea of an imperial government because the king, under the way the colonists thought of it, the king was the real center of imperial governance. And so when you attack the king, you're really attacking just the idea that London gets to tell you what to do without your participation. And so then the other the second thing is the Articles of Confederation. People say, oh, it doesn't have an executive branch. Actually, when you look at what the Articles did, the whole thing is an executive branch.
Speaker 1: It's real fault.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have any legislative power, contax couldn't regulate. It's actually what happened in the colonies to the n degree, which is they didn't And this is the second last point I want to make about this, is they the revolutionaries, didn't take away executs of power try to redefine it. Their approach was to try to change the structure of the executive branch, make it responsible to legislatures, or give it strict term elaments. The Articles are a good example. They have a thirteen member executive branch. Each state gets to elect one person. But they didn't say, oh, you know, executives won't do this. Executives can't do that anymore. So the amazing thing I end by saying, the incredible thing is actually how the traditional notion of the executive which is really you know, we start talking about with Machiavelli and then is expanded on by Hobbes and Locke, how quickly it comes into full force again by the time of the Constitutional Convention.
Speaker 3: In large part because of the experience that they had over and over again with weak executives, weak limited plural executives. They were very quick to learn their lessons is what it came down to. They had the theories of law and so forth about executive power. They were worried about it. I mean, you do have all the debates at the Constitutional Convention between the anti executive's power people and the executive. The people in favor of a stronger, unified executive who was both responsible and accountable won the day, you know, and large part because of Hamilton, of course, and Hamilton's discussion of that and federalist hold on don't tell me seventy seventy and federalist number seventy. It's a real true to force in many ways to understand. So you started your article for what it's worth. I hope Steve will link to it by saying that people criticizing the slaughter case that just came out do so by their appeal back to the Declaration of Independence. And then you show, you know, absolutely brilliantly why they're completely wrong about that. But the other argument that they often make is that, oh, this president will become so ultra powerful, and oh aren't you worried if a democrat comes into office and starts exercising these same powers. You hear that from our side, even yes and no, we can hold them accountable when we know who to hold accountable. If you if you can be like that idiot Obama and say I didn't even know. I didn't even know that my IRS was targeting people. I read about it in the newspapers like everybody, you know. If you can get away with that nonsense because you have this dispersed executive power across all of these agencies not in any way answerable to the executive, then you have a problem. But when you can look at Trump and say, hey, what the hell are you doing in that around war? Agree with it, don't agree with it? Who's responsible for it? Even Trump will say I'm responsible. He's not gonna blame Haig Seth or JD Events or any you know. And that's how it's supposed to be. That's that's that's actual democratic or Republican I would say accountability.
Speaker 1: Well, let me offer an observation and then maybe a challenge or question for you guys. Uh. I've always thought that the list of grievances against the King and the Declaration, if you, if you look at them closely and think it through, you can see arguments for separation of powers.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: In other words, you can see a lot of arguments.
Speaker 2: For our other piece. I wrote that you guys.
Speaker 3: Didn't like Wait, no, actually I liked that part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, uh, but it's long said. And even the Creatia professor Chaffa said a couple of times in passing that you know, it's a you know, why are we blaming the king when really it was Parliament passing all these taxes and Lord Norse administration Detory Act and right. But there's a there's a reason why it wasn't just it was rhetorically simple and just points to the contingency of events out you know, you and I in particular anything john to a certain extent, we look at the ideas and the principles involved for their intelligibility and their head agree. You know, Johnny already mentioned Hobbs and Locke and Mocky Valley and so forth. One reason the king became the centerpiece is and I learned this by talking to Ed Larson, whose book about seventeen seventy six I think is actually pretty good. He points out that what was the previous Jefferson broadside from two years before the.
Speaker 3: Rights of British America, British.
Speaker 1: Of British Americans right British and North America British North Americans. And it makes a pretty persuasive case that as late as the fall of seventeen seventy five, after hostilities have started, after there's a lot of shooting and killing going on already, that there's still some thought of reconciliation, that you know, we are loyal to the king, can remain loyal to the king if we're governed better. Then what happens. The King gives a speech that takes several weeks to get across the Atlantic, and it says, screw you American colonists. We're gonna crush you because you don't have any rights that I bound. And that infuriated the colonists and really was a tipping point because it happens. I think the chronology is Tom Paine's Common Sense is published on January sixth. It sells one hundred and fifty thousand copies, which adjusted for today's population, would be about twenty five million. No modern bestsellers sell that much. It was a huge sensation. And then the King's Speech is published a day or two later. Hayne rushes out a second edition a week later, and essentially, and that's when that's when George Washington writes to people saying, this is this is not now trying to vindicate a rights. This is now a drive for independence. Okay, And that makes sense then why you're going to attack the king for having the character of a tyrant in the declaration. So my last point is the contingency of events is if the king had been more reasonable, I don't know what had happened, or, as I've often said to many of our Claremont friends, being Devil's advocate, oh, the Hessians, you know, are already being sent over and that really infuriates people. Right, the British center largest at that point, largest navaling fleet had ever sent anywhere to put down the rebellion. And if the British military had succeeded in crushing the revolution, they hung George Washington, They would have hung Kong with Jefferson.
Speaker 3: John Hancock, Samuel Adams.
Speaker 1: But all those people and the declaration would today be a footnote in history.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, let John go first. But I do want to make you small.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, I think one thing that historians have have've written about this, I think the people who followed on Balen and Wood. That was interesting is that they said look at it and away from the British perspective, which to them this was a problem of imperial governance, and they screwed it up right after us. They changed this kind of commonwealth federalism, and you could say that the thing that really caused us to break away was a federalism problem. Everyone else talks about it as if it were a separation of powers that you which was not. We were rebelling because we had a view that Parliament and the King should be interacting differently, or there was no independent judiciary. Right that it was because the power of the center was too strong over the you know, the periphrase, which is a federalism issue.
Speaker 3: And you even pointed out in your piece, John that the colonists had some claim on the interests of the sovereign, where they all had almost none on the claims of parliament, because Parliament actually represented people that were not them, whereas the King could in some ways have been said to represent all of them, all of the British subjects.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think of this, because I've come across this in some of the things I've read, is that the Declaration actually is not and it does not attack monarchy in and of itself.
Speaker 1: Ah important point.
Speaker 3: There's a long debate about whether a monarchy, anarchy monarchical system could be consistent with the Declaration. So maybe can I just.
Speaker 2: Bring back That's why I want to ask you guys.
Speaker 3: It's a little tough if it's a constitutional monarchy limited maybe, But I want to go back to something Steve said, because on the one hand, he's right about the summary view of the rights of British America. At the same time, I want to point out that nothing in the language of what Jefferson wrote there was intended to be anything other than an early declaration of the rights. And just forgive me but just two lines, that these are our grievances which we have thus laid before his majesty, with that freedom of language and sentiment, which becomes a free people claiming their rights as derived from the laws of nature and not as the gift of their chief magistrate. For all of those people who claim we were just you know, claiming our rights as British citizens is just hobwash. But anyway, let those who flatter excuse me, Let those flatter who fear it is not an American art to give praise, which is not do might be well from the venal, But blah.
Speaker 2: Blah, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Those who are asserting the rights of human nature. You the king are not sovereign. We the people are the sovereigns because of our natural rights. Now come back and give us the rights you give to other British subjects. Maybe we'll lay low for a little while. But basically, the rights of the Summary review is the first declaration of independence from the king.
Speaker 1: Right, No, the consequent logic is obvious there, and it's why, I mean, I think this is probably right. It's why Jefferson was picked to be the principal drafter of the declaration because that that's some review that was you know, pain is more retorted. Jefferson's is more theoretical and philosophical. But he was such a good writer that that's why. And how old was Jefferson when he wrote the declaration thirty three?
Speaker 2: I thin thirty two or thirty three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is thirty one when he wrote this.
Speaker 2: Wels, Madison and Hamilton are in their early thirty when they're writing the Federals.
Speaker 1: Papers, right right, Yeah, as pretty but you know they had better educations than thirty one yearls or twenty one year olds these days. Yeah, I will no, I won't. There's a certain Irish born statesman whose name Lucreatia bridles At so I won't mention it, who was always hoping for reconciliation and said, you know, Jefferson, these guys they're making a pretty good case, and kept a resolute silence about the declaration, which I know he did not like, but he kept he held his tongue about it. You all know who I'm referring to, right, Yeah, of course, Okay, I.
Speaker 3: Can't believe he'd bring that up on a two hundred and fiftieth semi centennial.
Speaker 1: I just do it that fun. Before we go to our first ad break here, John, you're raising what's become known as the no guidance hypothesis about that second paragraph of the declaration. I mean a second paragraph, a very elegant lot to it, but really concise. But it says, you know, the object of government is to secure our rights, and whenever a government fails to do that, it's our right, our duty to set up new forms of government that we think will better assure our safety and happiness doesn't say that government has to be I won't say constitutional. I think it's implied. There will come to your other art about this in a minute, maybe, but the point is is that if you could trust a monarch to secure your natural rights, would that satisfy the conditions of ceration?
Speaker 2: And yeah, this is the part we were talking about before, because you guys also said one of the key parts of the naturroids and the declaration is consent by the government. Yeah, right, and so with a monarch you don't get to consent. It's hereditary.
Speaker 3: Presumably it's a subject ship, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it wouldn't be the case then that if you thought that the you know, the natural rights language and the second paragraph declaration is really controlling, then it would have to exclude a monarchy or even an aristocracy, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: I would think so based upon the arguments that we hear again about that in the federalist papers, I mean, I think that they're very compelling, one of which is that you can trust executive power not to become tyrannical, if it is limited, if it is not hereditary, if it you know, all of these things that it really defines what it means to be a monarch and says those things mean you cannot trust executive power. I would go so far as to say you can't even have a parliamentary system of government and have a genuine consent. But that's that's a discussion.
Speaker 2: But you will luck them like, there's no election for aristocrats and monarchs, so just by definition, wouldn't they be excluded as possible forms of government under your guy's view of natural rights?
Speaker 1: Well, and I just say that the subject of consent is a really serious and deep one, and I hope you will both right now consent to a brief ad break so.
Speaker 2: We can let our sponsors wow walk at that Segmentay, very nice.
Speaker 1: Hi everybody, it's Steve here to introduce you to a brand new podcast on the Ricochet Family. It's called the Future Freedom Podcast. So what if political disagreement didn't have to become political warfare? Well, that's the idea behind the Future of Freedom Podcast. Each week, two liberty minded thinkers tackle a major issue from different perspectives, one con two viewpoints. No yelling, no dunking, no debate stage theatrics for that, You've got to stay here with us at the three Whisky Happy Hour. I think the Future of Freedom podcast just aims to have thoughtful arguments presented in good faith, giving listeners the chance to weigh the evidence and reach their own conclusions. In the media environment build for outrage, the Future of Freedom podcast is built for curiosity. So please listen to the Future of Freedom here on Ricochet or wherever you get your podcasts. And now back to the three Whiskey Happy Hour. Well, all right, I mentioned the consent as a naughty subject. I don't want to get into it here because I'm too rusty at it.
Speaker 2: Pout.
Speaker 1: There's also some lingering issues I think. I know that Lucreatian and I have talked about this a lot many years ago, but one of the things that well, let me put it this way, I'm not sure that we're getting any closer to the bottom of the matter about what is meant by all men are created equal, how equality is supposed to be understood the declaration. My modern version of the division between left and right is this the conservative view or the founder's view. Classical liberal view is that justice is rooted in freedom or liberty, and the object of government is to preserve your freedom in liberty, The modern leftist view is that equality means egalitarianism, which means forced redistribution, force rearrangement of power. That means compulsion. Antagonistic too, so their justice is rooted and antagonism to human freedom. Right, that seems to me the divide. I don't think we're ever going to sort that debate out. I think we're going to argue about that forever. But I do think that debate needs to be aired out, especially these days with billionaire's taxes on the ballot and things of that kind, and democratic socialist running rampaging around the Democratic Party. Right now, we'll come back to that maybe a little bit. But what should we add into all that. It seems to me that that discussion has not been has been too muted in this semi Quinn centennial season.
Speaker 3: This is the this is the thing.
Speaker 2: So people who believe in some kind of equality of result or some kind of Marxists or socialists, do they really think that they're consistent with the Declaration of Independence? I don't really think so. They might like the rhetoric of it, but they have to think that they're really The Declaration of Independence is focus on negative government, right, This idea that the government should get out of the way or just protect us in our own enjoyment of our natural That's just fundamentally inconsistent and at odds with what they want to do. So it seems to me they want to They deny the declarations principles, but they do like the rhetoric because when you use the word equal, its could be so malleable.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's why I think of it. That's true.
Speaker 3: But I also I'm much more sinister about it than you are, John, and that is that they actually don't want real genuine equity equality about come. They want the ability to manipulate society so that they can give the appearance. I mean, Tokfield talks about this, give the appearance of equal outcome, when of course they remain in this particular position, in this particular.
Speaker 2: Position, over and above running a zoo back there, I see, like, yeah, check this out.
Speaker 3: It's a fireworks night and it's a fountain for a while. Wait, this is this. This is the best thing at the Lucrecia Compound. The tank battle. So you light these little tanks and they both ends, and you see who wins. There's there's a dozen of them in here, okay, really quickly, just to prove what I said was true. AK forty seven and last but not least, there's a whole bunch of these so that you can have lightsaber fights.
Speaker 2: You got nerds like that, fireworks come out of it while yeah duel.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. Anyway, there's there's there's three more bags of them out.
Speaker 2: There, but sorry, three more bags.
Speaker 1: Ok. People are listening. Lucreas is just showing off for fireworks is going to set off here on the fourth.
Speaker 3: So that's well, we're not really trying to show off. I'm trying to make you guys jealous that you're not here.
Speaker 1: To be jealousy.
Speaker 2: I mean, in Oakland, they'll have real a K forty seven. Does that count?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Did you guys remember though back during COVID, uh that I don't remember if it was La it probably was La County that forbid the use of any kind of fireworks. And then on fourth of July during the height of COVID, and then there were all these great videos. There was just there were so many fireworks going off all over the entire city of Los Angeles that they couldn't actually find and prosecute anybody you know if you so anyway, So see there's still there's still some of that American we those who who let those flatter, who fear, we don't. We don't give it damn what the government tries to tell us to do. That's what I love about being Americans.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, equity, Well I was, yeah, i've' going a long time about this. Uh, I will I'll just briefly refer and maybe try and link to it in the show notes. I think that a lot of this is just sanctified envy. That's something Tomsul has been saying for years.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you guys wrote that piece about article which is caught on a little bit.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a great piece of work.
Speaker 2: That was a good piece, you know.
Speaker 1: But then but then I always play.
Speaker 2: And it even boils down to fireworks in this possession exactly.
Speaker 3: But I would go one one step further with it in this contact Stephen say when I interrupted myself that there is now the attempt by the left to use envy as their tool, uh to convince, to convince people that you know, you could take away you take away Elon Musk's money. I may never see a single penny of it. You know those great stories about how the janitor's working for SpaceX are now millionaires.
Speaker 2: And so on.
Speaker 3: It's not about that at all. It's it's not about redistributing money to people. It's about punishing those people. That's what envy really teaches you.
Speaker 1: That's Jim Pearson, I think came up with a phrase that's punitive liberalism. That's a great friend, but a great phrase. But then what was the point is gonna make about that? It's uh oh, John, I always point to Federals number ten, where Madison says the first object of government is the protection of the unequal faculties of acquiring property. In other words, it's it's not just Madison, I think of an essay on property and and lock for that matter. The point is is that a regime of equal rights property understood, has to respect and expect unequal results.
Speaker 2: And I'm learning your Straussian chit chat now, because this is an example of how America is a low country or whatever, a modest but solid country, because that is just the pursuit of self interest and not based in classical virtue. See, I learned this stuff. But I think that the American system think God doesn't have classical virtue. That needs classical virtue to work because people don't have it.
Speaker 3: Is that aside, people are prosity.
Speaker 2: For acting their self interest.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, yes and no. But but it's one thing. It's one thing to say that I that the government should protect the diverse faculties for acquiring property. It's another thing to recognize that when you do that, you do indeed end up with the Elon Musks of the world. Where Steve and I at least take advantage of some of some amazing things that that Elon Musk, in his creativity and innovation has has developed for the world we live. Go back to Locke, you know, the day labor in England because of the protection of the rights to property lives better. Is clad better and his house better than the King of the Americas, where there's no respect for private property. Understand that capitalism means prosperity. That's an important thing. Back to what Steve was saying at the beginning, I don't think that this debate is being properly taken up. It's being taken up by those DSA people. It's being taken up by the people who want to get you know, have rent control, who want to take away the property of all the rich, redistribute it, do all of those things. And they do exactly what John was saying, and that is they appeal to the rhetoric of the Declaration it's equality without understanding even the first iota what it actually means.
Speaker 2: Well, But this, think about this on the two fiftieth, is that Justice Thomas gave that speech at Texas. We talked about that. I saw that he does make this point. But think about this though, It's that there's nobody else even giving great addresses about their declaration right now. I mean, I go, I was thinking about this. He't think of anyone else who gave a speech like Justice Thomas is even on the other side, but at all, no one's out there giving these kind of great sort of public addresses of the style that you know Lincoln or that used to be common.
Speaker 3: And press today.
Speaker 2: He was nice as a child. He's written as actual children's illustrated book about the Declaration.
Speaker 3: I know they also a piece speech.
Speaker 2: Come on, but why don't people give these addresses? And you know, why don't we have a great speech I'm giving one Arnie Sanders about why the Declaration actually means we should be more equal than we are against inequality. We don't see any of that anymore.
Speaker 1: First of all, John Lucretia, of course it's wrote that children's book for justice. Jackson. Just let's just a technical point here. It's an economics but it's always it must doesn't have any money. I mean a lot of stock in this company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, that's it.
Speaker 1: And acid is not present value of future expected returns. We could liquidate a lot of that. He probably raised two hundred million dollars in cash, but actually you cannot convert that value into actual cash. If you tried, you would only get a third of that value. I'm not gonna explain why that's the case, But are literally people who think he has a trillion dollars and one dollar bills in a bank bolt.
Speaker 3: Somewhere, and all he has to do is buy the McDonald's and fix the ice cream.
Speaker 2: But I wish he did, Yeah, I wish. Yeah, I know he doesn't bother McDonald's.
Speaker 1: And that was a technical point, and I only no, I.
Speaker 3: Know, Steve, if they don't understand.
Speaker 2: There was.
Speaker 3: Some sort of survey of young people who all claimed that they loved socialism. They were socialists. They understood absolutely nothing about what that meant. I mean absolutely nothing. So if they don't understand the differ ference between socialism and capitalism, do you really think that they're going to understand the difference between owning shares of a company with future value, et cetera, et cetera. No way, Sorry, they probably got their economics degree from the same place.
Speaker 1: AOC did well or Mondami so Mondami. I just saw this video that was just amazing because he said, it's only fifteen seconds long, but he says, you know, uh, you know, there is the economists, and he called him Friedrich Hayek.
Speaker 2: You know, wrote why is he even mentioning him at all?
Speaker 1: Well, because I think how to manual that's him to use, because he said, you know, we socialists, we've learned from the strength of the capitalist previous era. He's combined to literacy with uh, with with historicism. I thought what Cretia was actually opening up and was about to start up.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I wish I could. It's not safe. This is this is this is what the tank looks like. So you light this end and then it shoots out the back end and they they've got little wheels on them, so it shoots out the back end, so you can and so the aim is to catch your opponents on fire and destroy them before they destroy you.
Speaker 2: Listeners, And and there is about to take a pictured is about to invade Mexico with fire works. Sorry, all right, you guys, it has to be fun.
Speaker 3: It's the this is the this is the greatest day. This is so great.
Speaker 2: I know, it's the greatest day in the history of the modern world. Is it not?
Speaker 3: Probably close to all worlds?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe the let's let's tree resurrection.
Speaker 1: Let's try and get back the business completely overtakes us. Uh So, John, you asked me a question, why are more people giving It turns out if you go back to the seventy six centennial, no one gave very good speeches then either. I mean, you know, Jerry for gave you sort of raw rob Is in America great speeches, but he was never great, right.
Speaker 2: But you know who gave one, oh No. Seven nineteen eighty seven, Thurgood Marshall gave the famous speech that was like pro to wocism. Yes, I know, yeah, yeah, I mean, so there were people who have given speeches like this, but they don't anymore. I know for this, I mean I find I mean, there are people giving speeches important things, but not about decoration.
Speaker 1: I think the absence of them now is significant for this reason. I just have an article out right now at the Daily Wire. You have to subscribe to get it. But then you have seven hundred thousand subscribers, So great, Wow, I subscribe.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you can find my piece and maybe I'll try and post some of it on substrate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I will look for it. I had no idea of Steve.
Speaker 1: I thought I sent you guys, I don't subscribe. So yeah, anyway, what I point and now it is. In nineteen seventy six, there was a left wing attempt to try and hijack the by Centennial. It was called the People's bi Centennial Commission. It was run by Jeremy Rifkin, then a young anti war guy later is anti technology that he's still now basically yea. And what they did was very clever. They tried to connect Tom I actually quote some of the things they said. They tried to connect Tom Payne and John Adams and especially Benjamin Rush who they had completely wrong with, Jay Guavara and Lenin. In other words, they thought it was important to try and use a connection or embrace the patriotic clothing of the American Revolution to justify their anti capitalist revolution. They called the bi Centennial the Beam a centennial by centennial right, and the Democrats who then ran the Judiciary Committee held a two day hearing the Senate Judiciary Committee to expose the People's bi Centennial Commits for being a bunch of left wingers who are really radicals, anti Kapalists, really anti American. Now, first of all, imagine Democrats today if they ran Congress having a hearing on a group like that today, instead with the hearing on the sixteen nineteen project right, which was the the updated version of it. My point is is today and I'll skip over this now, but the Nation magazine has its July for issue out, and you can just imagine what America is terrible. It's just, you know, it's awful. The founding was terrible. It'll hit and they don't even try now to embrace the American founding, even in a perverted and completely insincere way. Now, it's straight to the founding was terrible from beginning to end. That's what the sixteen nineteen project was all about right. And I know I've said this before. Lucretie gets mad when I repeat myself, but if Kris were president, we will be having slave shit.
Speaker 3: It's worth repeating. It's worth repeating, Steve, I want to I do want to talk about a couple of minor examples of what you're saying. So the first one is I told Steve I believe it or not, especially after John told me told us I think it was the last time we met that he's a presidential library of fictionado and he's been to many of them, which led Lucretia and mister Lucretia to say that one of these days we are going to go on a presidential library tour from one end of the country to the other, and just even the ones we've already done. But that being said, so we talked about the Obama Presidential Library opening. I don't think we need to revisit that. You know, it looked like a dusk star. Obama has been really vile about everything ever since then. But again, leave it aside. Everybody knows, everybody who listens to this podcast knows how bad Obama is. But yesterday on July first was the opening of the Teddy Roosevelt Presidential Library in North Dakota. I don't even know the name of the town is so small, And just the difference, never mind this lovely patriotic everything Teddy Roosevelt did to make America great and all of these wonderful things and the sufferings he went through and why he was in North Dakota, and it was just it was fabulous. But just to see the difference between the Obama monstrosity library and the Teddy Roosevelt sort of reminiscent almost of Frank Lloyd Wright. A lot of these places, especially built up in Scottsdale, just built into the environment. Beautiful, gorgeous, that's what this is. It's sort of Teddy Roosevelt's love conservationism and so forth. It's almost it's this beautiful thing built into the side of a hill, kind of like a modern hobbit, you know, sort of thing. And I just think it was the credit to Trump because he went there. He flew in his new air Force one that got from Qatar, and okay, okay, and I had to turn off his speech because it was a little much even for me. But that being said, there is a difference between the way the right wants to celebrate our history and the way the left wants to do so. And even if you look at the National State for whatever it's called put on by the newer Freedom two fifty, I think it is the you know, ten states decided to do nothing but put up basically a banner, and it was supposed to be a showcase of all fifty states, and some of the territories and the left wing states decided it was too trumpy in and so they weren't going to do it. But as a matter of fact, it turns out that all the people that went to visit this thing just loved it. They loved they loved the feeling of patriotism. They didn't think it was partisan. Even CNN and MSNBC and others had to admit that. And I just think it's I know, it's a very mundane kind of exemplary of what Steve was talking about, but I think it's very real that we're actually seeing a difference.
Speaker 1: Well it's it's not just an architectural contrast, which is important and real. By the way, I'll put a picture of it on substack and on Rick Jay or listeners who is typingly like crazy? Is that you, John?
Speaker 2: Or yes, that was me. I'm just telling people to wait.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the rosa. I'll come back with this. Roosevelt fits in with the landscape where it is. But that's an even bigger point than just an architectural one. You could say I'm being mischievous. Now Obama fits in with the landscape too. It looks like a giant trash can on the south side of Chicago. So maybe, yes, that's very clever. I couldn't help I don't want to go visit it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it looks interesting. I want to see it, even.
Speaker 1: Though yeah, I don't see how bad it is, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how bad the inside is.
Speaker 1: Especially here's the contrast. I mean, look, John and I at least and probably I think you too, appreciate we all have lots of critical things to say about Teddy Roosevelt. His progressivism was was pretty bad in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: He he.
Speaker 1: He was a spark plug for changing us and bringing us the modern presidency. That's really not good in a lot of ways. But you know what a what a contrast between Obama. So why is it in that look Dakota as I recall the story, I think I remember this. I read a you know, Roosevelt biography a couple of them thirty years ago. But as I recall, he moved out to Dakota's after his wife died.
Speaker 3: No, his mother and his wife died on the same day.
Speaker 1: So what does he do. He goes out to North Dakota and ranches for a while, right, And you know he right, you know, he hurts cattle and you know, in other words, I could say he was a community organizer of cattle. You know that does He wasn't real? No, I'm sorry, I'll be crude about he was a real goddamn human being in the right into that phrase.
Speaker 2: Right, But I don't think he deserves to be Mount Rushmore. Frankly, I do think his cousin does. I mean, I do think FDR should be on Mount Rushmore, although the New Deal was a terrible mistake, I think, But I think he deserves to be there because of World War Two.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think you know this, John, Two big fans of Franklin Roosevelt include Army Mansfield and Harry Gaffer. I don't know if you really I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Of course, you don't, well, I'm just interested in their ideas, not I don't study every little josh tittle of their lives like you guys do. For some hidden insight.
Speaker 3: I read Edmund Morris's Is That Right? Two volume? It was like reading a novel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's at absolutely, but I think that Teddy Roosevelt's life was like kind of like a romantic, like a not romantic, but like a romance era novel. He was so dramatic, and there is a I can see why Trump would like him, just for the superficial reasons.
Speaker 1: But also there was the famous line from the British ambassador to America in nineteen oh six, You know the story, John or whoever it was, and he in the Oval office and Roosevelt all forced a grandchild around or something like that. Maybe it was one of his own kids, only forty five when he's president and spring Rice sends a kl back to Washington and he says, what you have to understand is that the American president is six years old.
Speaker 3: Actually did Trump give Trump a one more piece of credit? So he went there and he took with him from the Roosevelt room. Teddy Roosevelt's Congressional Medal of Honor, which he then they placed in the library next to Teddy Roosevelt Junior's Congressional Medal of Honor, the only father and son in history to have both earned the Congressional Medal of Honor. And he said, I just he says, I took it out of there. I thought it belonged here. I heard that part of his speech. It was it was, you know, I love that sort of thing, and you know Trump, give Trump some credit. He gets how he gets how popular that sort of thing is with everybody but the left, who be.
Speaker 1: Going too far to say that.
Speaker 2: The answer also about why there aren't enough of these is at the left because they fundamentally think the founding was corrupt and evil. They don't want to celebrate it. I mean, they just would be going through the motions. I was wondering, like I'm trying to remember, like did Obama do anything on July fourth? During the times he's present. I don't remember any kind of grand celebration, any great speeches by well, can any of them?
Speaker 1: Can you remember any memorable uttered vis of Obama? Ever?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: You know his convention speech in the.
Speaker 3: Two and four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, yeah, we we want to go to a break here, but we have a comment here mentions that you know, Conrad Black, who Lord Black, who we adore, is a big fan of FDR and H. Lucretian and I did a whole podcast with him about his FDR book. It was great fun. I mean, well, then there's a few parts of the book where he says, yeah, Roosevelt was full of rappy. Didn't put that way, but anyway, that is a funny part about FDR, about Conrad Black, who I'm a big fan. But let us have a quick break. We'll come back and a close.
Speaker 3: Hey, Robert, I'll I'll say is if you're Canadian, FDR doesn't look that bad by.
Speaker 2: Comparison, nice saved their asses. If you're a British.
Speaker 1: Make an earlier segment, you know, British Empire. Try this for a horrifying idea. If our revolution sety six had not succeeded today, we would be Canada.
Speaker 3: That I was specifically going to turn my air conditioning down to an even lower temperature to make sure that people in Paris suffered even more. Yeah, to get the reference, remember that the reason that they in England and in Paris, throughout Europe they're going they're arresting people for using their air conditioning. They're making them turn them off, they're making them take them out, and it's because air conditioning causes global warming. They've never had a heat wave in Paris before except eighteen ninety s. But it's all American's fault because we're all so we're so pathetic using our air conditioning. It's ninety six here today.
Speaker 1: I remember the big energy crisis of seventy nine when in Texas there was a popular bumper sticker that said drive fast, freeze A Yankee's all right, you guys, it's July fourth. What are you guys doing to celebrate the day? And can you say semi quinn centennial. After several drinks.
Speaker 3: I can't say.
Speaker 2: Before John, I'm going to go to the local yacht club and have an old fashioned July fourth menu of hot dogs and hamburgers and Barberie chicken, nothing fancy baked beans that to means July fourth. And then we're going to go to a friend's house who has a house way up in the hills. Because I don't know if you saw this, but for the first time, the second time in history, they're going to actually shoot the fireworks off the Golden Gate bridge itself.
Speaker 1: Whoa to celebrate the two fiftieth.
Speaker 2: So usually they're off barges. I mean, I don't know if they're barges or they're homeless people doing it, but they're shot off like you know, down near the waterfront in San Francisco, And usually this time of year a huge bank of fog comes in by then, so you can barely see any fireworks. This is typical, you know, progressive governance, which was it was just the intenth behind it that mattered, not whether you actually carried out the fire So this year, at least, if they shoot them off the Golden Gate, most people in the base should be able to see them. I think, wow, wow, So that'll be fun. So Hamburger's, hot dogs and fireworks.
Speaker 1: Well, Lucretia, you already showed us all the ordinance you're going to set off.
Speaker 3: That's late late, you know, but I live in a small town, and you know, I know everybody in the town. And my good friend, who is the commanding general for what Chuka, is about to retire. So you'll be giving a speech. I'll be at church. I'll be giving a speech I'll be doing those.
Speaker 2: But well, you're giving a speech about you what are you going to say?
Speaker 3: Well, it's I did I said it earlier, but you guys missed it. It's about the fourth and about you know, the usual stuff. Yeah, in church, but it's not in church. But it's an ecumenical, community wide patriotic music and I just you know, so it's very non denominational. But it's about it really ties into the idea that it was Christianity. Jesus I've told you, guysus before, Jesus going to the Samaritan woman at the well and and set and offering her salvation, which of course is the beginning of the idea that Christianity and even you know Roman, the Roman world, that that human equality actually is what would you call it, I don't manifest for the first time with Jesus in in uh with a Samaritan woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, it's a Christian idea. It takes a long time to become a part of the political situation. But anyway, enough of that, nobody cares what I have to say about that. I will tell you there will be massive amounts of barbecuing of meat at the Lucretia compound. But this is when you probably worse even than Christmas. So my my world famous bourbon being cherry pie in the vodka buttercrust, and it was and the Kiwi strawberry white cake in the middle with whipped cream frosting in the middle, and then the top of it, of course is an American flag. It's good, it's good. You need it, John, I promise you. I've seen you. He deserts before you need it.
Speaker 2: My homemade Why you need why are you trying to improve? I just go to McDonald's to get a soft serve. Jesus, he's put all this strange foreign fruits in there.
Speaker 1: The machines are broken.
Speaker 3: The machines are broken to Elon won't buy. He's just so selfish. Damn him. Anyway, everyone this this happy, happy fourth of July. You are amongst the most fortunate people have ever lived in the history of the world because you live in this country. You know.
Speaker 2: I had a similar thought. It was on a panel last week with a bunch of Straussians like Hadley and Samuelson, and we were arguing about whether they're whether natural rights and Janice Rogers Brown. It was a panels four of US in Washington, and it was filled with all the young people who are there for college internships. It was like a two standing romolent. It's like one hundred and seventy five. It was really great just to hear Pan on the declaration. And so I did my usual thing where I said, hardly proved to me that natural rights, you know, exist even though they're you know. So of course I was taunting him. But then at the end they said, what do you want to say about July fourth? And I said, you know, of course we should always argue about why, but it shouldn't take away from the descriptive fact that we live in the greatest country in the history of the world that has reached unparalleled heights of not just prosperity and power, but freedom. And so we should always try to figure out why, whether it's a national sovereignty or the creed of the Declaration or some kind of combination. But it shouldn't, you know, young people should realize how they have received such a great patrimony announced their job to carry forward improve it. Yeah, so I am going to steal those lines Lucretia for your speech.
Speaker 3: If I do, I will give you credit.
Speaker 2: John but I'll never give credit when I steal ideas, those are the best ideas. So I gave I had this great line about Judge Silverman. I had to give a speech about his when he passed. I said, Judge Silverman, the one thing about him is he you know, he loved ideas because he always thought that they were all the best ones were his.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean right, okay, uh all right, So I will be spending the evening out in Pacific Uh sorry, Pallas Berty's Peninsula.
Speaker 2: We get another fascist encampment that. Let just tell the other ones you're visiting, what are you telling you about? You're a fascist world?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? You don't even know where that is, do you.
Speaker 2: I've been there. There's this fancy hotel Tyrannia.
Speaker 1: That's there.
Speaker 2: A conservatives have conferences there. Yeah, that was a big That was a big David Horowitz conference place. That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that used to be we we got to go yeah, right, okay. But so I've been doing an event actually for Pepperdine University for some of their donors, and supposed to talk about gratitude on the fourth of our two fiftieth anniversary, and I think I think I may well put it this way. You know, I remember Harry Jaffa's book about bi Centennial fifty years ago, where he began with a very pithy line typical of him. He said, you know, in seventeen seventy six, America was nothing, but it promised to become everything. And now this is fifty years ago. Having become everything, we could become nothing again. And and of course the argument from there is it really was Lincoln's argument. He went a different direction. But I think I'm going to bring up Lincoln's Lyceum address, remember that one. He's twenty nine years old, and I think that one is really a very appropriate one for now, even though it doesn't address the force like some of us later speeches. But he said, look if look, we can't in nineteenth century, right, we can't be invaded. Maybe the's two big oceans. There's no way anyone could conquer and subdue this giant country if we are going too right. Well, I mean, their missiles could never mind that. But the point is, he said, look, if we are to be destroyed, it will be because we will be the authors of our own destruction. And why will that happen. It will be if we abandon the ancient faith of our fathers, meaning our founding fathers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think that's still exactly true today as it was then. And you know that's the one. I think I'm going to start signing that to students again because I usually do the later speeches because there's so much you do, right, But I think I'll do something like that, and uh, okay.
Speaker 3: So before we go completely off, I want to say something that reminds that John reminded me of this. On X somebody had a picture of Amy Cooney, Barrett Containe, Ge Sodamayora and Kagan and said, can we please stop putting women on the Supreme Court? And I had to write back and we have to say, did you see it? No, Edith Jones and Janice Rogers Brown, And they would have equalled Clarence Thomas had they been nominated and confirmed to the Supreme Court. They would have been as good in the court. Just in case they're happened to be listening, I'm not sucking up. I believe that in my heart of hearts about those two wonderful women who should have been on the Supreme Court instead of Catanji. Okay, back to something a lot more elevated, please, John Steve.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, I think I think we're done for this week. Maybe we'll have an episode next week because with a whole bunch of subjects we didn't get to. But for now, everybody, enjoy a spectacular semi Quinn centennial. I can't believe say that and stay tuned Upstack. Oh sorry, last announcement. I am going to be running a special subscription, lowest possible subscription price on Substack if you would like to become a generous supporter of the Substack, I'm going to lower to thirty dollars for a whole year subscription. That's the lowest Substack will allow. You know, most people charge a hundred or something, So this would be the weekend to express your appreciation.
Speaker 3: I'm just grateful you listen.
Speaker 2: I think, Steve, Steve, what of you paying people to listen to him? The idea.
Speaker 1: We owe these jooths to be subevident.
Speaker 2: I'll created equal.
Speaker 3: They are wizard unleenable runs.
Speaker 1: That a party are lote liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Speaker 3: That's your security rights, governance.
Speaker 1: Are It's the duty ricochet join the conversation