Speaker 1: Hey, everybody. Welcome back to the Game Informer Show, a weekly podcast covering the video game industry. Join us every episode for a discussion on the latest gaming news, reviews, in exclusive reveals, alongside Game and Former staff and special guests from around the industry. I'm one of your hosts today, Alex van Aiken. I am joined by Charles Hart. How are you doing, Charles?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. I was the first guest introduced today. I don't know that's ever happened for except maybe the one episode I did alone with Kyle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how's it feel? You feel good?
Speaker 3: I'm like top billing. I'm like the first and like cast in order of appearance at Tallas fan Akin and then Charles Hart, like we were in the first scene.
Speaker 1: Knowing that it's that important to you, I will make a note in the future to make sure this is in the last time I'm Charles.
Speaker 3: It made it made many plenty of sense before, you know, it was never like a regular host. But I'm like a regular host, and I just kid, it's just cool, you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Just cool whatever growth evolution you know? Hm uh, Kyle Hilliard, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Hey, how's it going? I can't believe I was second. I'm frankly offended.
Speaker 1: Honestly, yeah, I would like to hear who's coming in third.
Speaker 5: Which I believe.
Speaker 4: Not to spoil it, but I think this is my first time podcasting with full time staffer.
Speaker 1: Eric Van Allen. Yeah, yeah, I remember my name at all. Geez, I thought we were just going in off. Yeah, is that not what we were doing? No, but happy accident. All right, Well, welcome to the podcast, dear listeners. This is a video game podcast brought to you by Game Informer. If you want to support us, please consider our going to gaminformer dot com slash subscribe and consider getting a print or digital magazine subscription that gets you ten issues a year of Game Informer nearly one hundred pages. If you're getting a physical version, the paper quality and the glossy cover are just so nice, and we're really proud of the magazine that we put out every time. So if you haven't yet, consider getting a subscription or gifting one to a friend. Kyle on videos showing off the most recent Bloodlines Too issue and the included free D and D double sided poster.
Speaker 4: If you're watching the video version, I think Charles and I were trying to do the two sides, but we actually did the same.
Speaker 2: Accurate.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, that is a great way to support us. Also, if you are watching on YouTube, be sure to click that like button and subscribe if you're new around here. That helps us out. But without further ado, guys, we've got a pretty pad show this week. We're gonna be talking about our metal Gear Solid Delta review here momentarily are sort of the CEA review and drag x drive reviews. Later in the episode, we're also gonna be talking about the Battlefield six Open beta that Eric and I played, had a lot of fun with that. This seat Taken is gonna be covered by Charles, which is a really cool puzzle game that came out recently, and then some game games Calm Quick Hits from Opening the Night Live and that'll be a show. But needless to say, it's gonna be a pack show. So let's get started. Kyle tell us all about metal Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 1: Did I get the title order right? Okay? Great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I always want to throw a three in there or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't include the three officially.
Speaker 4: Which I think is like Delta does the idea is they just want new people to come into metal gear for the first time, and if they don't want them to scare them away with the three, I think, which makes sense. It is the first in the the timeline it is. It is like, it is the one that I would always recommend to people. They're like, I'm kind of curious about metal gear. I'm like, just start with three. Just like, play that one first because it's one of the better ones. And like you'll it's the most digestible story, you know, because you understand it in one entry. But yeah, I are you guys, I forget. Have you all played three or no?
Speaker 1: I have not. I've been waiting for this to come out.
Speaker 3: Okay, I played I played one and two last year and I actually started three, and I had the thought, I was like, I'm kind of sick of playing all these metal just played one and two back to back, and I was like, I'm gonna do something else, and this was an excuse to wait. But I've been I've been looking forward to it because I want to see what happened.
Speaker 6: I watched I college roommate play one through four like that. That was how I experienced all of mental gear. Solid, and then the first one I played is you can see from the arm back here on my shelf is Metal Gear Solid five, which I absolutely adored. But I am really excited to hear if this is like a good version of three to jump in with, if this is like the good way to experience it for the first time, or if you feel like it's maybe meant more for kind of the people who've already played the game.
Speaker 4: No, I I think I'm curious what the public the broad public perception is right, which I haven't heard at the time of this recording. I think even the review will have gone live, and then the game comes out next week if you're listening to this startment the podcast comes out. I think it is the best version of Melgar sold three like pretty much like without a doubt, because it looks amazing. The updates that they made are like small but significant, like the game plays more like a third person shooter now, which feels good. And then there are things like changing camo, which is like small but like I was even when it came out in two thousand and four, I kind of ended up not changing Camo much because to do it you have to go into a like two menus and change it and then like leave. But now it's all like quick select and it'll it'll be like this is like the best one for this area, which is really really nice.
Speaker 5: And then oh please, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I'm not. I was gonna interrupt you with a very important question as to whether or not the Game Informer issue is still inside the game. It is.
Speaker 5: It absolutely is. Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: And remind me, was that a fake game and Former game and Former cover?
Speaker 4: They yeah, it's made. It's not a real game and Former cover. It's like a fake Metal Gear Solid three game and Former cover, and like you can shoot it and hit it and it'll flip over, it'll flip open, and it looks like a two thousand and four layout of Game Informer, which.
Speaker 2: Is very strange crazy.
Speaker 4: And then on the back of the issue, because it's like random whether how it flips. On the back of the issue, there's like a weird picture of Former Game in Former editor Matt Cotto that I worked with for many years, like eating bugs or something. It's really odd. It's it's weird, and I actually, like recently, like after seeing it was in the game, I went to talk with some of the old like Game Informer old timers about it, and I was like, do you guys remember like how this came to exist or like what happened? And Andy McNamara was like, I don't remember, just like I just like, do not remember. I think maybe there was an email or something that said they were doing it and then and Matt Cotto similarly was like, yeah, I don't, I don't, I don't have no I think I remember taking a picture or something. That's the extent of my reporting for how that game to exist. It's just this weird thing that if you're not if you don't know what we're talking about. In Metal Your Solid three, there are like a number of publications at the time are in the game, like they're just like on a desk or something like that. And one of them is Game Informer, which was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like a guard reading gaming magazines in the spare time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is like that weird fourth wall stuff that Kojimac games tend to do. But it's actually it's a nice transition Alex to ask about that, because you know, I was, I was telling you guys some of the things they updated and change, but like the for lack of a better term, like the soul of the game, which like the main thing I was worried about because Hideo Kojima is not involved, and they even asked someone asked him about it recently if he would ever play, and he said, no, I don't want to play that game, Like it seems like he's upset by it, maybe even a little bit. But without his involvement. I was like, is it gonna have the soul of Metal Gear? Is it gonna feel like Metal Gear? And like the thing is is like they upgraded those few things, but everything else is like direct copy paste improved to the point where like the soul of the game just kind of came along with it in that process, because like none of the story has changed at all. It's all the original voice acting, all the cinematograph for excuse me, cinematography for all the cut scenes are exactly the same, Like nothing has been changed in that regard. This is the exact same version of Metal Gear Solid three, with the exception of it looks a lot better. Right, So, like you get these cut scenes that like function exactly the same as they did in two thousand and four, but like the lighting's a lot better, so they just sort of automatically look better and things like that, and like I ultimately was like really impressed, Like that's what I wanted here. As someone who loves metal Gear Solid three and has played it, I've probably played that game once through every like you know, five or six years. I've played through it something like that through its various versions. So to have just like basically a one to one version of metal Gear Solid three that looks better with you know, the improvements that you want where it controls better, and then that one that little hiccup with the camo. Oh also like your your codec is easier to quick select to like stuff like that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I mean to me, like I when I get that hankering to play metal Gear Solid three again, I don't think I'm going to be able to go back. I think this is the new primary version of metal Gear Solid three, And I am curious, like I said, what public perception will be if like there are purists out there who really find things about it they don't like. But from from my perspective having played through it, you know, and then also started new game plus a little bit, and then like did all the snake versus monkey stuff in there, Like, it feels good. It feels like Metal Gear Saw three. I was very I was really happy with it. I gave it a nine out of ten. And it is like, again, if you're that person who's like, I'm kind of curious about metal Gear, maybe you played five and you're curious, like what the history of the series was, Like, this is the one I will recommend moving forward. It's like, play metal Gear Solid Delta. This is like the best version of metal Gear Solid three that will get you into that story very easily. And in terms of like five, you can see a lot of the seeds that got planted and grew into the mechanics of five, which is really fun too. So yeah, good game. I really like metal Gear Solid Delta a lot. I think they did a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is there anything that you felt like they dropped the ball on or things that didn't maybe age as well despite you know, kind of the remake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, process, I mean, I like, I don't drop the ball. I don't think so, but there are definitely elements in the game that like don't age well. Like the writing. A lot of the writing feels like sort of cliched often and like there's like there's just stuff that like kind of doesn't really make sense that you just kind of have to wave off, you know, which maybe I was like more forgiving of back in two thousand and four when I was just a stupid high school senior due didn't know any better. So that stuff kind of feels like almost like laughable now. Like that's that's my takeaway for a lot of that stuff is like just these like really self absorbed monologues, like from from people like explaining exactly why they're doing what they're doing. And like Snake gets imprisoned at some point and they like don't take his radio, so he has like full communication abilities with his full team, and it's like that doesn't really make any sense. But whatever, from a gameplay perspective, I guess I would rather be able to call you know, Commander zero or whatever, like I don't I don't want that taken away from me. But it's just it's just the kind of thing that it's like, ah, whatever, It's like it doesn't make sense, but it doesn't really hold back the story. And also like I don't think I would want them to like rewrite the game, because that's that's so crude to it, even if it even if it like makes me laugh in twenty twenty five and like it's kind of feels outdated, like I would rather have it be that for for what is, you know, a remake of Mental Year Solid three. So so I'm sure, I'm I'm happy with it, but but yeah, there's definitely stuff in there that is that is kind of laughable for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, moving on, unless you all have any questions for Kyle.
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to say I'm excited. I'm very glad that that is the case, because I also felt, uh, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, I don't.
Speaker 3: I feel like every everything, I didn't really know what Konami was until I like they were already not really doing stuff anymore, so like the concept of them making the remake and Kajuma wasn't involved. Just I was like, I don't, I don't really know what to expect. But it doesn't seem I don't know, it didn't. It didn't give me any green flags. Really, it's just knowing that it was like they're being faithful to it and it still looks good. And I know sometimes when they do I can't think of the game off the top of my head. But sometimes when they do remakes and they make stuff like photorealistic or they like improve the lighting a bunch, they kind of like sand off some of the art direction that was gone on.
Speaker 2: Like you'll see a game.
Speaker 3: That has like a lot of like green tones and kind of like a filter over it where it's like, we can't make it look like real people, but we can give it like a vibe, and then you'll have the remaster version it's like, oh, we made these colors look how they actually look, and it's like, ah, okay, now it just kind of looks like some dudes standing in a room with no nothing going on. Sure, And I don't know if that's like a thing you've you've felt here, but you mentioned that it looked good, like I think it is a different I'm curious if that is a thing you feel is true about.
Speaker 5: This at all.
Speaker 4: I mean, there might be something there to that, because in my memory, like thinking back to the PlayStation two version, it does sort of just have like a green like sheene to it, you know, which I think is gone here. But like metal Gear is always sort of striving for really realistic visuals with like you know, mechanical creatures that you believe, right, Like they want you to think that these things could actually exist in the real world. It is Metal Gear is an anime, but it's not meant to look like an anime, right, It's just like a spire by the storytelling style of anime. But it's always it's always, I mean, even moving into stuff like death stranding. You know, everything in that game is meant to look like something you could hold, even if it is odd, right, I don't know, maybe that that's.
Speaker 1: Kind of yeah, no, I think that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And comparing it to anime was also the thing that made me.
Speaker 2: It was a shift in my head.
Speaker 3: I needed to get through the first game for that first time where I was like, wow, this is just crazy people talking, and then I was like, oh, it's like an anime, and for some reason that was all I needed to be like, Okay, yeah, this is exactly what to expect from anime.
Speaker 4: They re released a Ninja Scroll on Blu Ray recently, which is a fantastic like nineties anime, and I remember I watched it again for the first time in I don't know, it's like twenty years or something like that great movie Ninja scroll, and I was like, oh, this is this is a whole, this is just fully metal gear. This is just like one dude versus a bunch of bosses, one of which is a guy who controls bees, you know, like in Ninja Scroll, and he's just like he's got to figure out how to defeat him all one by one, and there's also a conspiracy going on in the background, and it's like, oh, yeah, this is this is just metal your Solid three but like Feudal Japan basically, and it's great for that reason.
Speaker 1: RULES love that. Well. We have both been playing Sword of the Sea, Kyle and I have both beat the game now Kyle twice for me, yeah, you've beat it twice now, okay. And I knew that you had started New Game Plus as part of your review process. But so far, I mean, well not so far. I beat it, I liked it a lot.
Speaker 3: It's I think I'm near the end just because of comparison point, I uh gotta well, I don't. I don't want to give it away as like a spoiler and the thing, but I can message you guys.
Speaker 2: I think I'm like near that. I think I'm like an hour away.
Speaker 4: Charles, are you telling me or Alex anything about where you are in the game. I bet you're close to the end, because it's not a very lock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't think I beat it in an hour and fifty nine minutes.
Speaker 5: Who really?
Speaker 1: And then I got an achievement for beating it under two hours, and I was like, I didn't think I was. You know, I guess something as good a games. Yeah, it was like gamer over here. That's why they employed me here.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, I don't know how you feel, Alex, but not a complaint.
Speaker 1: For no, No, Like I think it's felt longer than two hours on Yeah, Like it's.
Speaker 4: So well and it moves so quickly that it like, I think it is a good length. I like it for that reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I would have wanted it to be longer, did you Guys?
Speaker 2: Like unlock?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll let you give like the introduction to the game, sure before.
Speaker 2: We get into all the details of it. But I do have questions for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Charles wants to know we unlocked something unlocked, and we did unlock several things throughout the game, but real quick, the the sort of the Sea. It's the third game from Giant Squid, which is a team comprised of members who worked on Journey back in what twenty twelve, and this game, Kyle says in his review, it's very much like it. It feels like a a successor to Journey in its own right, and it has that that sort of art direction from Matt Naba that is pretty iconic at this point, especially in through the lens of like Journey and and everything that has come with that game, as in the Pathless of the other two. This one is really beautiful. I think that some of the the shader work that they do and sort of the see is just absolutely ridiculous. The I really want to see a GDC breakdown or maybe we'll reach reach out of them. I want to see how they they did what they did with that water to sand to ice ground shader. It's so it blows my mind looking at it as you're playing. But Kyle, I'll pass it to you to talk more about the game in general, kind of what you're actually doing in the game all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, we're going to say the word Journey a lot, and because it's like for like, I like you said that, I said, Alex it to me, it feels like the most direct line to Journey that that Giant Squid has made so far between Absu and the Pathless. And it's like it's a game where you're kind of this silent protagonist. There's not any dialogue in the game. There's there's text, but there's not any dialogue, and you're kind of making your way through this like ambiguous desert and as you progress, you kind of fill this desert with water. And you just do this by like moving around and solving little puzzles and you're like riding your sword is like this floating object that you're just riding around like super high speeds, and it.
Speaker 5: Just feels really good.
Speaker 4: It's just really satisfying to like move across the sand and then you know move along the water and then like some of the other materials that you're talking about. Alex likes it's a short game, but we don't want to spoil like all the all the environments that you visit, but like it just feels really good to move and leap. And then there's also buttons that do tricks and stuff, and you will find occasionally like half pipes and like a mission. There's only a few, but there's you can.
Speaker 1: Find certain challenge rooms as well. Yeah, to do high scores, get high scores. It's like it's not certainly that first play through, it is not like a high score game. It's not it's not a Tony Hawk game. But there is definitely Tony Hawk inspiration in the sense that it's like they want you to like move quickly and do interesting tricks to kind of entertain yourself while you're moving through these beautiful landscapes.
Speaker 4: And I think it works really well. I think it's just it's just a game that just doesn't stop from the moment you start, and it's it's it's it's great. I give it an eight point five. The reason I didn't like sort of cross that nine threshold is because, like what story there is there didn't really like move me necessarily, Where games like Journey and like The Pathless, I did feel moved during the course of those games, where this was like I was like, Okay, this is interesting and this is like I can follow this and I see what's happening. But like I just and the end is really cool. I really like the end a lot. It's just really like bombastic and crazy. But I just wasn't it was. It was more my reaction to thout the whole game was like, oh, that's really that's really pretty and cool, rather than like tearing up a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: And I'm prone to that, you know.
Speaker 4: I Yeah, plenty of silent games have brought me to, you know, wiping a tear from my eye. This wasn't one of them. But it's still still really good game. I like it a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found myself in awe of kind of the beauty, yeah, of the game, But like you said, like the story itself. I mean, it's got themes of like conservation and that sort of thing in regards to like protecting the environment, and you know, I think some of that is pointing. Yeah, I think some of that's poignant, but yeah, nothing really that like kind of struck a hardcored and and I think like some of the more like tragic moments in the story, you don't quite have enough time with the characters to kind of really feel any any any hits necessarily when things happen to them. I agree, Yeah, but I think all that aside, I really really like the game. It's really impressive, especially from a technical standpoint. I think also the level design is you know, you get to these places that kind of open up and are really fun to navigate and explore. You know, you can as you go you level up new movement options, and one of the things that you pick up pretty early on is the ability to kind of like climb up kelp forests. You kind of float up with them, and and you know there are secrets in the game. If you explore, you can find these these shells. And I'm not sure what they're for, Kyle, I haven't figured that part out.
Speaker 4: I haven't either. I have found a lot of them. I don't know exactly how many.
Speaker 2: I assume it's just like, I don't know if that's one hundred percent of it. You find all the shells.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if you get something you know, yeah, or if it's just I don't know, but I've got several of those from kind of going off the beaten path, and it is fun to get a little little reward when you do that, as well as kind of seeing more of like that environmental set dressing that is so pretty to look at. But yeah, I think Kyle said a best in his review. You know, the the star of the show is the movement and riding your blade across the landscape. It's got this like there are certain times when your your camera just like gets really low against the ground and it's kind of like looking up at your character like gliding along the like water, and it looks so cinematic. It looks ridiculous. It looks like something out of a movie. And like, especially with the vertical nature of how the map progresses. As you go, you're kind of click climbing this mountain and or a series of mountain peaks, and you know, when the camera's low like that, looking up the character surfing and in the background, you've got these beautiful vistas. I really enjoy it. I think I think there are a couple of moments throughout where some of the more novel mechanics kind of wear a little thin for me. Luckily, the game is so short that I think if it had been a longer game, that some of those I don't want to spoil it because it's it's kind of a cool moment, but yeah, there are moments where like there'll be some kind of novel mechanic that you have to use to progress, and had that those those experiences been longer. I think I would have been like, ah, but with them being so short, it's like kind of like a nice little.
Speaker 6: It's almost.
Speaker 4: Very little repeats. You know, it's not completely without repeating, but there's like it's it's few and far between.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a thing that.
Speaker 3: I played the game at SGF and then I turned around and there was a guy like standing at the booth and sometimes it's like the PR people, and he was like, hey, you like the game and I was like yeah, and he was like, oh great, thanks.
Speaker 2: We worked really hard on it. And I was like, wait a minute, you're Matt Nava.
Speaker 3: So then I just kind of had like an impromptu interview with it. I know he was there, And I also interviewed Austin Wintery like a week or two before that for the magazine, so I like talked to him.
Speaker 2: Bustin's the composer.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that Matt said about Austin's composing because I brought it up, is he's like, we don't ever want to play the same track of music twice, like it can loop in an area, we can have different stuff going on, but if you like leave and come.
Speaker 2: Back, I'd rather there's like no music than repeating.
Speaker 3: It because it's very like just the fact that Kyle keeps saying like it starts and then it just kind of goes until it stops where it's like they want you to keep going in on the path.
Speaker 2: And they're not like trying to. I don't know. It's a very like contained linear experience.
Speaker 3: And I was gonna say just to uh, I think I know what novel mechanicis you're talking about, Alex, and I think I disagree. I think I like the length that they're there, and in general, I kept finding the game where I'm like, it's just fun to just ride around on your sword board, and I'm like, man, I love jump in and I want to go up there. And every time there's a big hill, it's like I'm gonna jump off of that. And then I get to a new area, it's like, hey, by the way, you can do a new thing now, And I'm like, new thing?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: How lucky are we we get new things in this game. I would just ride on this sword forever and that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well cool. Any Eric, are you gonna play this game? Are you a are you a giant squid? Fan or not really, I do like the studio. I actually I really enjoyed The Pathless when I played it. I don't think I finished it, but I did really enjoy what I played it. Uh, this has been on my radar, but we are once again entering the fall zone of there are too many video games. They're just that's too many games. So actually, y'all saying that this is only a couple hours long, many of you have moved it up the list for me because sorry, the ramones of video games. It's I think it's more doable in that sense if I know that it's going to be really impactful and also really contained. That's how you sell your game to me right now, is not don't tell me about your eighty hour epics. That's there's no time for that. I think playing this game, playing this game, you know we've got the I think Eric describes it as like the content goblin in your brain.
Speaker 6: I have a content goblin in my brain and that I make things.
Speaker 1: Yes all the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel similarly about whenever I play I'm like, Okay, how does this fit into Game of the Year at the end of the year, And I feel like I can't just enjoy games without being like, what kind of award would we give this, Like if is this, like what would this be in contention for?
Speaker 6: If anything?
Speaker 1: Sort of the Sea is one where I'm like, that's a really cool moment. I'm gonna jot that down for Game of the year time or mmm, that's a I think it's got my favorite arts art direction of the year, like it pay attention if you play it too.
Speaker 6: To the environment art.
Speaker 1: It's it's I know, it's like it's a game that you're moved very quickly through, and so I think being intentional about stopping and smalling the roses is a very cool thing. And you can kind of see the detail that you might otherwise miss if you're kind of speeding along on your on your hover sword.
Speaker 2: I did, I did want to say that I think I have. I'm like, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Three and a half hours in and I haven't beaten it, and I was gonna ask you how much how much of the like little bits you're collecting, because I like gameplay is like I stop and I go back. Once you've like made more water appear, you can go and you can get all the little bits in the area. So I spent a lot of time just like I did that tracking and getting all of them.
Speaker 1: Maybe I didn't get as many as you. I mean I've unlocked like all of the crucial I think I by the end. This would be a good way to measure how many bits I collected. I think the last thing I unlocked was for two thousand bits.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm I'm almost I think once I get to a guy, I'll have two thousand bits where I am.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if there's anything after that or what the thing is, but I was very I kept I kept getting to the place I'm like, oh, I'm only one hundred bits away.
Speaker 2: I bet I could go back and look under this rock or smash this pod or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's fair, I mean, that's I think. My perspective was like, these bits are going to be throughout the game, and I'm just gonna continue to get them.
Speaker 2: And sure, I just didn't want to.
Speaker 1: I don't think anything you unlock in it is game changing with the bits.
Speaker 2: I think I just wanted to know what the next thing was.
Speaker 3: And the idea, the idea that because there's like and then Alex, you beat it in two hours. You could beat it faster than that then, for sure if you were still going back and getting bits, because it's like if if once the path is unlocked, you can breeze through it pretty fast, this will be like a super cool speed run game. Also, but I was like, I know, I could just go from point A to point B, but there's so many little bits I could go back and get.
Speaker 2: They're called tetras. I don't know. I keep calling them a little bit. Someone did an interview here and we learned they were called tetras. I'll call them that.
Speaker 3: But that's a good way to smell the roses. I guess it's like a fun it's a fun game to kind of play in a completion of style for me because it's not too overwhelming, and also it just is fun to do flips.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 1: I might actually do a second play through and get more bits.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I can get some more movies.
Speaker 4: That's kind of way I did it because I was like, you know, there's like one more thing to get, and I was like, yeah, I can just like pick up our I left off, which is nice.
Speaker 2: Does your bit progression go yeah, whoa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you can just kind of keep going through the game and gather more bits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to be playing this game for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: I guess just.
Speaker 6: Getting back to the bit minds knew what they were called.
Speaker 2: Probably bitcoins, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that seems right. Uh, Kyle, can we go back to you, Sarah? I know you got to get out of here soon. I believe in this a little early. But before you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Drag X Drive, which is the wheelchair basketball game that has been part of Nintendo's launch portfolio.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can and you played it right, Yeah, a bit of it. Is there a campaign or.
Speaker 4: It's not, which is part of the problem, I guess you could say. But uh yeah, I mean just to sort of just so Brian like sometimes we'll have games that he doesn't immediately assign as reviews to people, you know, ye be like, anybody want to review or look at Drag Drive and it's just crickets. So we all have switched to is that we're very excited about it, But no one was raising her hand for that, and I was like I was the one that was kind of like, I'm curious. I'm curious about this thing. So I raised my hand and yeah, I mean my I did. I do have a proper review on the site. I gave it a six seven five, which is like not.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm just realizing how many games you've reviewed, Kyle.
Speaker 5: I know. Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 3: He took he took, not that he took it. Brian took it from me. Well, no one took it from me.
Speaker 2: I was just busier, but I was going to.
Speaker 1: Changed times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I kept being like I can do it, I promise, and Brian's like.
Speaker 6: I'll just give it to Kyle.
Speaker 1: Is real, Okay, Charles, calm down, you can finish your Shadow Labyrinth review or whatever.
Speaker 4: Are you mad at me, Charles that I took sort of the game so you can play.
Speaker 3: We should to be totally honest of how I felt about it and the reason I didn't jump on drag x drive because I wasn't reviewing it, because I.
Speaker 2: Was like, I'm just I would like to review a good game.
Speaker 3: For work that I'm having fun playing, and I had done I wrote. I wrote my FBC Firebreak and my Shadow Labyrinth reviews on the same day because I like finally got to both of them after doing all this stuff, and in both instances, people were like, Charles, I think your score is too high for what your text is. I had to I was like, I think you're right. I think it's a lower score than it is. But I was like, I I'm glad I'm playing Sure to See on my own time because I don't have to you know, rush or whatever. But I was also like, but I don't have I don't have another six of another six.
Speaker 2: In me to review Dragon Drive right now.
Speaker 4: And truly it was meant to be an active kindness. It was meant to take it off of your no, I know, an act of mercy. Yes, it was weird for.
Speaker 2: Me to be overwhelmed by work and then be like, what what happened to my work? I was gonna do Like it was totally fine. I still got the games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, Drag Extra Drive six out of ten. I mean, my my big sort of takeaway from Drag Drive Drag Extrive, Drag. I'm not sure how you pronounce it, is it?
Speaker 2: I think it's pronounced drag and dry. I feel like there's like some something.
Speaker 6: Like Hunter Hunter where you just don't pronounce the X.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I was wondering.
Speaker 1: But I mean, if only there was a symbol that they could use to to imply the word.
Speaker 4: And but my big takeaway was like playing this pronounced drag and drive.
Speaker 5: Drag and drive.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, okay, core is I I for you guys know those like little foldable like dinner tables that maybe you put out. That's what I was playing it on. And I was like, my big surprise was like this is actually works pretty well, Like this is this is not like like this isn't remind me of the era of like that those first few WEI games where you were like this is straight up like doesn't work. You know, yeah it is not that it works pretty well, and there are like it actually does give you nice options for like you can break on your right wheel and do like a quick turn and stuff like that. So and then like the act of shooting the basketball. Actually it's like just like you kind of lift it and like do like pantomime sort of shooting basketball. It works pretty well. It's like a good reminder that motion controls.
Speaker 1: So you are lifting off, you're pushing lifting off, lifting your hands.
Speaker 6: I mean it's you know, the TV table like it would be a this motion right, like a forward to back and then I'll lift up right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, but if you just kind of like, I'm like you maybe lift your hand like, oh no, it's just a forward motion.
Speaker 1: I do have an important question, Kyle. Do you when you're shooting a basketball do you hold one hand still and push through with one only one arm or a person who pushes the ball upwards with both hands. Oh you mean like in real life, in real life and in the game.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 5: Fuck?
Speaker 4: Like in the game, it's just one hand. There's no advantage to like doing two hands like that.
Speaker 1: So it's just like, okay, so they're they're practicing good ball form handling, But is that what you do in real life?
Speaker 5: Real life?
Speaker 4: As I played basketball constantly, as you guys know, yeah, always passing the rock, I go, I go back and forth. If I'm really far away, I kind of thrust with both hands. But if I'm closed it, you know, you know, it goes right.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, just I just I just want to make sure the person reviewing this game has proper basketball form in real life. Well that who has ball knowledge and can review drag extra yeah.
Speaker 4: By turning around and walking away. But yeah, so the controls actually work pretty well, and it's funny. I the way I actually ended up playing it the most comfortably was wearing jeans and just doing it on my thighs. Actually, like that ended up being a more surprisingly, like comfortable way to play the game. So that was like a surprise. That's like a positive thing to say about Drag Drag and Drive is like that mechanic is unique and different and it actually works pretty well, and it does afford you some opportunity to like do you know, interesting quick turns and stuff like that. But it's it's not perfect, you know. It's like I still think you're obviously still gonna have better controls using a control stick, but that's not an option for this game. But I mean, the big thing about it is like it's like, Okay, that was the first hurdle. It's like, oh, the controls are weird and they and they actually work and there's nothing like this, you know. But then like the second part of it, it was like, well, there's like one mode which is like you hang around this area and occasionally you get thrown into games, which is like that's interesting that you kind of can watch people play live games and stuff like that, but it's like it's a.
Speaker 1: Area similar to like two K and how you can like two K in my part probably.
Speaker 2: How you play two K all the time right between games.
Speaker 1: Of yeah all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's all but which is like that's that's neat, but it's and there's like there's not a lot to do in there, and between games sometimes they'll have a mode where like everyone who's in the lobby, like up to I think twelve people will kind of be thrown into like one mini game where it's like everyone try to get this rebound er. We'll have a race, and then you go back to just jumping into games and there's just like the games are like fine, I didn't really feel incentivized to keep playing. There's not really much. There's like a few unlockables to customize your character, but not really and like you kind of see everything the minigames have to offer in like twenty minutes, because it's like some of it's like racing between cones or like doing tricks off like half pipes and stuff like that, and it was like ultimately I was just kind of like I had no I didn't feel compelled to try to get better at the game because it was like not really a reason to like it was it was all it was all functional, but it's just like there's just not anything there really to hook you in or keep you going, you know, especially if if your reaction to basketball is like, oh this this works okay, Like that's kind of was like the nicest thing I could say about it, you know, And it's like, you know, it's developed by Nintendo and it's like a twenty dollars game, which is kind of like says a lot about it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like they Nintendo usually charges absolutely as much as they can for this kind, which I guess you could argue they did year, but it's just it was just kind of it's just kind of a shallow game with interesting controls, and I do give it credit for that. It's like, wow, these there's nothing like this, and like you couldn't even port this to like PlayStation, like you know, like it's like it's just only really gonna work on switch to ultimately. I mean, I guess maybe you could do it on PC if you had like motion control mice or something. I don't even know if that's a thing, but like so it's like, yeah, you know, what kudos to that, Like you've made something that really only works on switch to and I admire it for that. But it's like beyond just playing for a little while, like you kind of get everything you're gonna get out of it quickly. I would be shocked if I ever booted this up again, other than to maybe show someone it's like, look this weird thing, you know?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So yeah, do you think it's like it has a place at like a gathering where a bunch of people are hanging out and it's like, oh, this there's this game we can all play together, like it is a multiplayer game. But does it does it have like like split screen local co op or co op?
Speaker 4: No, No, you need like both joy cons and stuff like it's I mean, it's you know how like maybe you buy a new TV and a new console and you're like you buy a PlayStation five and you're like, let me show you like Death Straining two so I can show up my TV. Like you can show that to a friend and be like this, doesn't this look amazing? Like that's kind of I think the height of Dragon Drive, where it's kind of like look at this weird thing.
Speaker 5: Is that's weird. Huh works pretty well? Huh, all right, yeah we can.
Speaker 4: We can play Bonanza now, Like that's kind of I think it'll have a weird legacy of being that, like we'll remember in a couple of years and be like.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Dragon Drive. That was a weird launch window title, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's And can you remind me of what the headline of your review was?
Speaker 2: Because I thought it was funny.
Speaker 4: I did change it, okay, because I yeah, originally it was my thumbs and wrist hurt, which it was like I liked and it was true, like it truly does hurt my thumbs and my wrist to play that game over a long period of time and that and that text is like in the review. But I changed the headline to be just like I think it was, like functional but shallow, just to kind of be more like explain exactly like if you if all you read is a score in the headline, at least you kind of know what I'm talking about. Where it's like even though it's like I like my my wrist and thumbs hurt, as like a funny headline is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is that because you're playing it so much? Because you love it is that, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do like the idea of someone like posting, like a food critic posting review of a new restaurant that just has my stomach yeah.
Speaker 1: Function shallow, that'd be a food review.
Speaker 4: I was not hungry after I left this restaurant. That's like the nicest thing.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean, I guess I think some people looked at it as like this weird disaster kind of ahead of time, like what is this terrible thing? It's not that, but it's also just not like it's not like a you know, it's never going to go on sale, so I wouldn't say, like, you know, hey, maybe check it out when it's on sale because it's a Nintendo game.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's fine. It's a little bit. It's like south of fine. You know.
Speaker 1: Well cool, Kyle, You've got to go. You've got places to be, things to do. Thank you for joining us on the magazines to Read and proof. Thank you for joining us on the show this week. Of course, people can find you almost every week here on the Game and former show, but in between they can follow you on social media at Kyle Hilliard or at Kyle M. Hilliard depending on the platform.
Speaker 4: What's on Blue Sky, which is where I'm at. Primarily it's I went through the trouble of getting the u r L. So Kyle Hilliard dot com on Blue Sky?
Speaker 1: Oh cool, so official, welcome, welcome to the custom r L me. Neither that's been verifying.
Speaker 6: It means nothing anymore. The check mark needs nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't until like at one and then yeah, exactly. Yeah. For now it's just a bunch of elites in their dumb check marks. Yeah. But but once I get one, there'll be my peers who I adore. Well, I needed this to assure you that it is in fact me providing these terrible posts to in the morning. Yeah. Well, Kyle, we'll let you get out of here. Thanks for being with us today and we'll talk to you next week. Welcome back to the Game and Former Show. We're going to dive into our thoughts on Battlefield six. Eric and I played the open beta. I had a lot of fun. I'm not sure what Eric thought. It seemed like he was having fun with me while playing, but you never know. And then we're gonna get into is this seat taken by Charles? Followed by some quick games Colm highlights. Eric, let's talk about Battlefield, man, where are you at with it?
Speaker 6: Let's talk about the I believe it's the E key, which you can use for I have your teammates if they have fallen in battle. Now, this is a universal ability, I stress universal. Anyone can do this, especially one punch man who was in my lobby next to my dead body multiple times as I was flailing for help. You could have brought me back. That's all I got. No, I really like Battlefield. I've been a Battlefield player for a very long time, all the way back to nineteen forty two. That's like how I've been playing this game in the series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys are way older than I thought.
Speaker 6: I mean I was like, yeah, yeah I was. I was in the war, I was in the trenches. No, I wasn't apologized.
Speaker 2: I thought that joke would land way better than it did, and it did not.
Speaker 1: No, No, No, it's okay. Eric had stolen Valor joke to make Yeah, yeah, I can't stolen val around Gah, that's not right.
Speaker 6: No, But I've been playing since Battlefield nineteen forty two. I loved Battlefield that one and Battlefield two a lot. On the PC. I kind of fell off around three and four, and not because I didn't like them, I just wasn't playing them at the time. Sure, I have a feeling that was probably because I was playing a lot of cod at the time.
Speaker 1: Four was a little overrated, I think three Alzheimer.
Speaker 6: But I feel like everything posts let's say twenty one, forty two, or even post three. The Battlefield series has been trying to navigate the seas of change in the modern gaming environment. I felt this especially with some of their returns to older wars like Battlefield five and things like that, and Battlefield twenty forty two, which was the most recent, and also hard Line. Does anyone remember Hardline? I played hard Line for a hot minute, and that was.
Speaker 1: I didn't play Long one. I think I've played every Battlefield but hard Line.
Speaker 6: They tried to implement this idea that you would arrest people in a battlefield game. Crazy concept for the time. Yeah, yeah, that's what I I enjoyed doing in my team based squad shooter is arresting people. I really like Battlefield as a concept. I think on paper, maybe even more than Call of Duty, because I've always really liked the strategic layer. I love the metal layer stuff where you're kind of planning things out. My dad, actually, who also was the reason I got into Battlefield the first place, loved playing Commander in Battlefield two on PC where he would drop things in and coordinate with squad leaders. And he would be that dude on the mic being like, y'all go take here. I'm going to drop you some amo here. We're bringing in artillery support over. We can take b after we push for this, tanks are coming in and he was just on it like that. So all that being said, Battlefield six Open Beta feels like a solid battlefield game, about as solid as you can make a Battlefield game nowadays. It definitely feels pulled in different directions by all that it has to be. And I stress that because if you look up the developer of this game, it's Battlefield Studios. What are Battlefield Studios, Dice, Criterion, Motive, Ripple Effect, multiple devs that came in from other EA studios to assist on this.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 6: This is all chips down version of Battlefield. And they've been saying as much at Electronic Arts that there's just a lot of betting on Battlefield. This specific Battlefield taking off and being the game that kind of springs this franchise back to life, and I think the effort to make it do that could ultimately be its undoing, because I think the more that this game focuses on being a good battlefield game, it's got some really solid stuff there. I like what they're doing with the weapon loadouts. I don't love the UI, but it's I enjoy getting the guns, leveling up the guns, equipping them all kind of the classic battlefield things that you do. I love being able to freely swap between weapons on the different loadouts, so I can go in as a medic but still be running a DMR or running a carbine or running an LMG and not have to worry too much about oh, I have to be a certain class so that means I have to use a certain gun in the field.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Let's put a pin in that. I'm going to come back to that later, but please keep going.
Speaker 6: But it's a lot of I don't know if you felt this when we were trying to lobby up and play, but there's just so many menus. It's clear that the groundwork is laid here for them to try and push. Here are all the different Matt playlists that you can do, and here's the things that you can chase after, and it's this idea of the how do I put this? It is the massive universe of content, not quite chasing Fortnite or roadblocks in terms of how expansive it could be, because I don't think it can do that. But every shooter does kind of want some of that pie, right, like they want that level of we are larger than just playing a team based shooter, because there's something attractive about being as big as Fortnite, right There's there's something alluring about that, especially to people who like money. But I don't know if Battlefield can or should be that. I think Battlefield works best when it is battlefield and we're on a map and we were playing I think it was a rush game the other night, and I'm not even a huge rush fan. I'm mostly a conquest fan. But we were locking down a point, we were holding it. There was a part where you and I were kind of doing this infiltration and we were moving from one point to another and we were checking corners and the squad was spawning in on us, and it felt like we were doing like a real push into enemy territory to like hold a location and I was like, that's battlefield to me, that is that moment of it.
Speaker 1: I remember that exact moment too. I was like this it did. It felt very cool and like the fact that like we there was like a sniper pinning us down and like you know, you got shot and I like try to sneak around and shoot this night because I was playing a recon as well. That felt really cool to me. And I agree with a lot of your points. I think I don't know, did you because I know we played the first day together and then I played again in the closed weapon lobbies? Did you play any of that?
Speaker 6: I haven't tried the closed weapon lobbies?
Speaker 1: Okay, I liked that a lot. It was way more like classic battlefield, where like your weapons are locked to your class, and I found that it was it felt less chaotic and more organized as a team. I think one of the things that recent battle especially twenty forty two, fell into is just feeling like chaos, and there there is an element of chaos to battlefield, like that is has always been part of the charm, you know, like you know, the the iconic video of like the dude jumping out of the jet rocketing. You know that all the viral collipse like that is born out of call of or not God not called du battlefields commitment to kind of cultivating those moments of chaos. But I think some recent releases have gone a little too far in that, and like I think it just feels like two kids like playing with a bunch of army figures and just smashing them together, and less so a tactical multiplayer experience that I think a lot of us fell in love with the battlefield for, you know, being strategic about which points we're going after, do we have, how's the balance on our team when it comes to you know, assault versus you know, recon or support or engineers. Yeah, And I felt like the closed matchmaking playlist kind of got me more in that in that area, and I was really enjoying it so much so that I'm I'm I'm sad, I'm sad the beta is over now because that would hit it would that would hit right now? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I think my thing with it and maybe the biggest because I think ultimately I like having the open weapons personally, just because if I'm a medic and I'm on a big map, sometimes it's like, why do I have to use an annoying little carbine? At least give me like some level of weapons variation, especially on differing map sizes and things like that. I feel that addresses some of it. There are always going to be people who roll in and they're like, I'm whatever class, but I also have a sniper rifle and I'm going to play like a sniper the whole time. Yeah, that's always going to happen, but I like at least that now when somebody plays Recon and they're scoping, they like auto tag people. I don't know if that was a twenty forty two edition or not.
Speaker 1: The auto tag is a auto tag is a passive perk of the recon.
Speaker 6: Of Recon specifically, I don't know when, if that got added or if it's new for Battlefield six or not. That tells you how much I really played of twenty forty two at the end of the day, but especially Recon. I'm sorry, I don't play Recon. I like snipers.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll hold that I play Recon. I'll hold that I play support. I like to fix up the tanks. I like to make sure that our armor's doing well, and I like to take out their armor if I can, because I'm all about that that infantry vehicle interaction. But to that point, one thing that is already kind of a knock against the game for me is that I don't feel like the maps.
Speaker 6: Are super memorable. And even in twenty forty two, a game which did get i think rightly so a lot of criticism, there were specific maps, specifically that rocket one where where there was a rocket that took off and stuff like that, that had big landmarks, noticeable points of contention, things that people would try and fight and buy over. It felt like there were important areas of the map that felt important to hold and that made a statement. And the maps that at least we played in the open beta did not really have that. They all just kind of felt like urban environments that had a lot of buildings. And I don't know if this is maybe just me not finding those particular maps remarkable, or if there's a level of there's a lot of destruction in this game, a lot of level devolution and hitting stuff with a tank shell or an RPG and causing it to fracture. But by about five minutes into any match. Most buildings are some form of the side has been blown out. There's kind of little outcroppings and ledges you can get to with windowsills that might provide some cover for all of about ten seconds before another grenade or rocket takes it out and now it's just an open hole. It feels like you're kind of decaying the level into its base, like you're bonanzaing the level in real time, and that actually it actually makes some of those areas start to feel less identifiable and important to me if everything is destroyable. I know that might be controversial for the battlefield fans, but I do feel like there's some level of you need lands, You need places that have importance, that have a degree of rigidity to them, So then you have kind of a funnel effect of Let's say there's there's a map that has like a football stadium in the middle of it or something like that, that becomes like a really good landmark to base yourself around. Oh hey, there's a tank. It's sweeping around the left side of the football stadium something like that. Instead you're kind of just going like tank east question mark. I don't even know if that's east, Like that's a tank over there and you pay it and that's about all you can really do. And I feel like that's going to affect that level of communication and interaction that that normally happens. Maybe people don't want that anymore either. That's maybe the other thing is maybe people don't want to talk on video games anymore. They just want to like be in discord with their friends and not participate with the broader group. Maybe that's where I am different. So who says that's fair?
Speaker 1: You know, I am taking a look right now on the website. They've kind of got They've announced a lot of maybe not a lot of, but they've announced the slight of launch maps. The ones that we played that were available when we played were Siege of Cairo, Liberation Peak, and Empire State. I think out of those three, I only ever got matched into Liberation Peak or Siege of Cairo. I don't know if I got mapped, got match made into Empire State.
Speaker 6: I don't remember it off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: I remember there was the Rush map specifically, I think stood out the most to me, and that was because of there was some interesting elevation that we were trying to hold on one of the points, and we were really locking it down, and it was creating these interesting funnel points and places where people could run in and cause damage, and so we'd have to watch all these different windows and doors and things like that, and it felt like we were really hunkering down in an area, and so that stood out. But I don't know that many of the There was the one that was kind of just a conquest map that I felt like we were just going back and forth across on the entire time, and I never really remarked upon it. I do remember the mountains one that had a lot of mountains in it, and that I had one kind of area in the middle that had some cool elevation, and so holding that spot became really important because it was super easy to defend because you have the elevation advantage. But get a tank rolling up there in infantry surging behind them, Suddenly you can push in and now you've got a really good foothold to advance your offensive across the rest of the map. I like using hand motions when.
Speaker 1: I describe, yeah, I you know, looking at the other maps on that are slated Operation Firestorm from Battlefield three is returning. That's not the Battlefield three map. I want them to bring back. I want them to bring back Oh god, it's the one where you jump off at the edge and you have to skydive down.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think I remember what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, maybe not. I also being border is also good, very good one. Yeah. There's a lot of battlefield maps that that's they could bring back.
Speaker 6: But there are a few that are I think they'll probably bring back at some point when they have to start doing the you know, bring players back stuff, and they'll start there's usually always a reskin of Wake Island or something like that from the A nineteen forty two and and and stuff like that. So I wouldn't be surprised to see that pop.
Speaker 1: In you put you put Wake Island in this game.
Speaker 6: I'll be there, wait Wake Island twenty four to seven servers find me there any data?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I actually don't know if they have boats in this game. I don't think they have any naval maps. Yeah, and I'm looking at the slate. They've got a like French Quarter infantry only map. They've got Operation Firestorm. Rance does not have boats. You're right, New Sobic City, which is on the outskirts of Cairo. They've got Mirek Valley, which is the largest map at launch, a massive war time or in landscape filled with every type of vehicle. Interesting. I wonder if that means boats also fell.
Speaker 6: I felt like vehicles were a little understated in what we played. I don't know if that was because of the modes we kept getting matched into, but I feel like I mostly saw a few APCs, IFVs, and then maybe a tank every now and then. But maybe that's also because, and this is something I love about Battlefield, there's always somebody who camps out waiting for the helicopter.
Speaker 1: Or the plane or the jet. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it jumps in it and just immediately beefs it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw that playoff in one of our matches.
Speaker 6: I literally saw somebody take off with the helicopter and do the giant bomb thing of like fly off and then land on the roads and explode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's that's Battlefield to me. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I am definitely going to play the full release. I'm looking forward to it. It's yeah. I think the big thing is like where will this fall in the echelon of Battlefield kind of will be towards the top, middle bottom. I kind of feel like somewhere in the middle is kind of what I'm feeling right now, Like it doesn't feel particularly stand out. However, I am just excited to have a battlefield that is, you know, supported again, And I think the expansions they're making to Portal, which is their Good Dough powered ug U GC stuff that could be interesting. And I think it's really cool that it's like they're using good Dough to make that. But yeah, I don't know what we'll see how how it all shakes out. Yeah, I just I feel like that, like you said, Eric, like they've been pretty public about this game, there's a lot riding on it, and I'm right now I'm not seeing it like I'm going to probably enjoy it based on what I've played. If it's anything like what I've played, I'll find a lot of enjoyment out of it. But I am very specifically somebody who will hop around from those various games and spend a couple of weeks in them and then I'm out. And I'm curious, like how many people are like that, or if there are going to be people that this kind of gets its hooks in. I guess we'll see, but yeah, Battlefield six out October. Don't have the date on the top of my head, I can. I can grab it real quick. Is October tenth, October tenth.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Google. AI served me a bunch of nonsense that I didn't want. So at the top of the feed.
Speaker 6: Well that might character. That might also be a double check you. Okay, no, that's real, that's real. For the first thing it gave me was a new story, but it was like a leak new story, and I was like, oh. I scrolled down and there was the official Battlefield six. I was like, okay, good.
Speaker 1: Well, Charles, before we get to our game, some highlights I want toss you to talk about. Is this seat taken? Yeah, game I've been looking forward to. I got announced what a few months ago, probably six months ago.
Speaker 3: I have no idea I'll so I'll be hon it. This just happens sometimes, is you aren't You don't know every game that comes out in the job, and then you get an email of someone like, hey, here's a game that's out.
Speaker 6: And I was like, yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 3: And they a lot sometimes, especially when it's like a smaller game, They're like, here's a game.
Speaker 2: Here's a code. If you want to check it out, go ahead and do it. And I usually just kind of scroll through those and mark them off as red.
Speaker 3: I'll reply to them sometimes, but you know, you just have a lot of stuff going on, and any any given day you got like a dozen emails of indie games that are trying to get attention, which I wish I could give attention to all of them in said of some other stuff, but I digress.
Speaker 2: This was one where I like from the email is like.
Speaker 3: Huh, this seems cool, and then I downloaded it and then it like shadow dropped. I want to say at one of them in Tendo things, it know what it was it shadow dropped one day.
Speaker 6: It is definitely featured on I think the most recent Nintendo Indie Showcase if I remember correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because there was the partner director and there's any World, but this is definitely more indie world.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I love this game. I'm planning on reviewing it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if i'll have it up by the time this episode goes up, but I'm hoping to get it up this week. But the gist of the game is that it's you are in various settings in which people can sit down or stand up, or it could be arranged certain ways, and you have a crowd of people that want to populate the area and they all have little different preferences. So it'll start off and it's just like we're going on the bus and Bob wants a nile seat and Tom wants a window seat, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, that's pretty eas I can do that classic.
Speaker 3: But then it's like Bob wants anile seat, Tom wants a window seat, but Tom hasn't showered and Bob hates bad smells, so it's like, okay, now you gotta spread them.
Speaker 1: Art sounds like some good game design. I like it.
Speaker 3: And the farther you get, the more specific, the more varied and specific it gets. So like you'll have a later bus level where it's like blah blah blah, Martha gets motion sick at the back of the bus, or Johnny wants someone to talk to and so you need to sit him next to someone else that wants to talk to someone. But then when they're talking to me to create a field of noise, and someone who wants to sleep can't sit near them, and so I'm just very impressed by the best puzzle games to me are a I like it when a game gets more complex and that's where the challenge comes from, rather than just like making really really intense versions of the same thing, because there's a there's a version of this where it's only island window seats and bad smelling people or whatever, and there's like one solution every single one.
Speaker 2: Instead, I like that, it's like.
Speaker 3: There's those there's boat levels where you've got seats on the edge and then seats in the middle, and that kind of plays around with like who's adjacent to who. But some people don't want to get in the waters, some people need sunscreen, some people have sunscreen. There's a classroom level where the teacher wants everyone to focus, and some people will talk if they're next.
Speaker 2: To each other, so you have to be really strategic about all of it.
Speaker 3: My favorite ones are at airport levels, where there's the seats and then there's the line to board the plane, and each person has a flight number that they're getting on, and so you have to pay attention to what their flight number is to see if they're sitting down or in line.
Speaker 2: And then there's like.
Speaker 3: Some people have the VIP pass. Some people don't have a VIP pass, so you have to be in different ones.
Speaker 1: You gotta sign up for the skymiles, y'all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: There's some people where it's like this guy's watching a movie really loudly on his phone, and this guy wants to sleep, so don't put him next to that. But then also it'll be like this guy really wants to watch a movie on someone else's phone, so you get to put them next to them. So I it's the criteria that they make and the conditions in which they're met. It's new and exciting every level, and then each locale it also tells a story. There's a character whose name I can't remember, but Nat I.
Speaker 2: Think is the main character's name.
Speaker 3: Everyone is little like shapes, so it's like squares and circles and triangles and rohmbuses and stuff, and that is a rhombus who wants to be an actor, and so you kind of watch their journey as they like find out there's another rhombus actor that they want to go find, and it's like as they go from Barcelona to Paris to New York to some other place.
Speaker 2: And it's an interesting. It's not like a heavy story.
Speaker 3: It's just like each area, so like a bus level, for example, will have like five different stages, so you'll do just five different combinations of increasingly complicated people in that space, and one of those five will have like a little dialogue exchange between Thata and someone else to kind of explain what's going on in the story. But I appreciate that the story is also about someone trying to fit in and find their spot, much like what is happening in the literal puzzle levels, which is cool, and the music's nice and the art is nice as fun sound design.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 3: I think you can complete the levels without getting everyone in the right spot. I've just been perfecting all of them because it feels like the correct way to.
Speaker 1: Is it like a star ranking kind of, I think.
Speaker 3: So, like you get a point for every person that's like satisfied, so I haven't all tested out before I actually submit the review.
Speaker 2: But like, for.
Speaker 3: Example, if everyone satisfied but one person wanted to sleep and they're near someone loud, then you just wouldn't get a point for that person. I did one level where I had one person that was unsatisfied, and it didn't catch it un till afterwards.
Speaker 6: Can't and then I could go back. They just wanted to sleep. Why would you do that?
Speaker 3: But and then if you get all the stars in one like city, so if you got all the stars in Barcelona, then you get a little bonus level. That's like a really specific situation. That's really cool.
Speaker 2: So I did a wedding.
Speaker 3: Where you have to decide, like people want to sit near certain people, and someone's like the bride and groom and they got to be in the special spots, and other people want fish, you know, other people want chicken, et cetera. And then there's one that's like a dance party and someone needs to be near the speaker. And this guy's like, I'm in the band, put me on stage.
Speaker 2: And it's just.
Speaker 3: Very very charming, very good. Highly recommend. It's on switch and uh PC, I'm playing on PC.
Speaker 5: It's nice.
Speaker 2: Nice to have the mouse.
Speaker 3: I wonder if you can use the mouse on the switch to version. I think it's just Switch one actually, but still good game.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, sounds like Toaster is going buck wild in the background.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if you guys could hear that or not.
Speaker 1: It's okay, it's okay. I want to acknowled for a sec. Yeah, no, no, no, we don't need to pause. I just want to say, shout out to toaster, shout toast, hold it down, whatever is happening out there. He's on top of it.
Speaker 3: He doesn't care if the seat's taken. He's gonna yell you till it's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Do you do y'all have specific rules that you would have or I don't want to sit next to this, or I do want to sit next to this because I have one I immediately thought of when you were talking about airplanes. Please seat me as far as possible away from anybody who thinks it's okay to take their shoes off on the airplane.
Speaker 1: That is Yeah, that's follicle beavior.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, can I canny posted like anyone that has their toes out on an airplane?
Speaker 1: Yes, jail, Okay? Can I ask you a question just hypothetically?
Speaker 6: Oh, no, I've seen.
Speaker 1: The Let's say I was on a twelve hour flight. No, wait, nobody's next to me in the immediate row. Can I just take my my shoes off but have my socks on twelve hour flight? It's cramped there's nobody in my aisle.
Speaker 3: So here's here's my take. I think it's fine if no one notices like I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Like I wear. I wear clean socks when I get on the way.
Speaker 3: Like if your feet don't smell and you can take off your shoes and no one smells it and no one's looking at your toes, I think that's fine.
Speaker 2: I think if you're making a.
Speaker 3: Big show and like, really the socks off in the air, I'm pulling my Yeah, okay, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have an aversion to feat personally.
Speaker 6: You said you wore you put on clean socks. Number one, I hope. So number two, that's they're they're no longer clean because okay.
Speaker 1: But I've only been wearing it. Yeah, but they've only been on my feet for like two hours at this point, usually because I usually put fresh socks on as soon as I right before I leave for the airport, so a lot because I hate wearing socks, and so they are not on my feet until like I'm about to walk out the door. I to be clear, I've only done this one time on a plane, and it was this very specific.
Speaker 6: It was a twelve hour flight and yeah it was going.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was like it was.
Speaker 6: I don't see it, then I don't have an issue with it. If I notice it, if I am accomplice to it, then I'm going to have a problem with it. So maybe that's my addendum as that is the sea taking character is don't let me see the grippers. Don't don't let me turn my eyes and see it.
Speaker 1: The one thing I don't want to be sat next to on a plane is there are several a talker who doesn't get the clue and I barely reciprocate. Yeah, yeah, exactly. I think the big thing is I don't want a man spreader. I am very much aware of the space that I take up on a plane as a bigger guy, and I go out of my way to make sure everyone is as comfortable as possible. But the people, the little the little men who are like half my size and spreading alley, ramming their knees into my knees. I'm like, you don't want to try to box me out, because if we're playing that game, it's PvP. At that point, it's yeah, yea, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. If we're playing that game, you're gonna lose buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also like, don't sit if you're gonna it's the words.
Speaker 3: When you're in the middle and both other people have taken the arm rests, it's like, dude.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think friend of the show not an armrest person, So I don't really mind that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of like, do one of these things.
Speaker 6: I do I do an arm cross or kind of arms out in front. Yeah, yeah, yeah, usual.
Speaker 2: Who's the front of the show.
Speaker 1: You're gonna call alex uh Sean Thomas. He had a great point on social media recently. If you're a middle row person, then you should be able to get at least one arm rest.
Speaker 2: That's what I think.
Speaker 3: I think the window person gets the window, the isle person gets the aisle, and then the middle person gets those arms. That's what I think is a fair trade.
Speaker 6: I'm a window person, and I if I have the window, I'm all up against that window to the point that I feel like I would be in severe danger if that window even slightly moved. But I'm just like in if I can get in the alcove like that and get a nice little headrest going there, because I don't I don't put my seat back. I feel very self conscious.
Speaker 2: That would be.
Speaker 3: That's my sorry almost I almost swore I got actually two heated there, I think. So my thing is I need leg room. Most planes are just literally not big enough for me, so I kind of I have to say.
Speaker 1: The last flight I got off of like a week ago, I left the plane with like like indentations all along my legs from how shoved up they were against everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mine's like the just the forward my my thigh bone. The length from the back of my seat back to the back of the seat in front of me is the length of my thigh bone on an average So I can, yeah, I can fit them in there, and then I cannot move And if you try to bend it back, that like fills me with a primal rage that I cannot express.
Speaker 2: But shoot, I was gonna say something.
Speaker 1: Else that really just took over your It really just you saw red.
Speaker 2: For a moment I had, I had.
Speaker 3: Like a my magazine was full of a bunch of things to say, and then all of a sudden I had to unload all my thoughts on this.
Speaker 1: pH Yeah you rerated a systems yeah to fire.
Speaker 3: I will think it was just the the aisle thing and then I think if I was in a car, it's a it's another thing of like I can't sit behind the driver, like I need someone that can scoot forward if they need to.
Speaker 6: I don't have that problem as much. I would also see red when it's somebody watching videos on a phone or a tablet and they don't have headphones.
Speaker 1: In raw sound, throw them off the plane.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know when midair midair jeopardize all of us.
Speaker 6: I don't know when society decided that it was suddenly chilled to start doing that. But if you don't show up with headphones for your flight, you don't get You just d find in herself. Don't share that with the world. All right, we don't want to hear your bad tiktoks. They're bad tiktoks. They're never good tiktoks.
Speaker 1: I watch, Okay, all right, this is getting into this is the good, the good stuff. I on my recent trip, which was a nightmare trip. It's the worst trip I ever went on because I had to travel with Matt Miller, you know, and you know he's just such a hard, hard guy to get along with. He was putting, he was taking his shoes off. Yeah, so have you seen the movie Noor. I've heard, Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: I have several times on a plane been like wow, I kind of watched the movie and Nora, but I couldn't do that on a plane.
Speaker 1: I watched. I watched the movie, and a row over from me was like a group, a group with like children, and but like I during the really risque scenes, like I put one hand up to the monitor and like covered. No, No, I mean they are.
Speaker 6: That's theirs, that's that's their thing. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think they shouldn't put on plane.
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean I don't watched it in public. It shouldn't be on a plane, that's yeah. And let's let's listen.
Speaker 1: I had the seat open next to me, so I moved over as far as I cut away from them to watch it. And then and then in the particularly gruesome scenes, there's not a gruesome.
Speaker 2: It's the nudity.
Speaker 1: They're going hand, they're going hand. Yeah, they are. The activities, yes, they are. The desires are on full display of flesh. I felt like one hand up. I felt like one hand up.
Speaker 2: And then you said the word flesh.
Speaker 6: Afterwards, you could have said something so much more disgusting, like like just on a base level, and it would been less worse than that was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, so the movie I halfway through and then I was like, I gotta take my socks off for this.
Speaker 6: The worst possible, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But you know, I usually like try to be sensitive about who's around me, but as of late, I'm like, you don't gotta look. I'm gonna watch my show and if somebody's getting dogged, then.
Speaker 6: So be it. Somebody gave me a weird look. Okay, this is maybe like the one weird thing that I do when I travel is I won't sometimes depends on it. I won't watch anything on my seat back. But if I'm just listening, because usually I listen to music, I try to sleep, and if I can't sleep, I don't really want to go through the whole thing of finding something and putting headphones in because it's always like an OX headphone jack and I have Bluetooth stuff with me, so I'll listen to my music. But sometimes I'll just glance over and watch somebody else's TV screen and I can't hear what's happening, but I just kind of ingest the movie as it is and so that's how I saw How to Train Your Dragon like twice because people were just watching it on the plane. Someone gave him a weird look for doing that, like they like turned around.
Speaker 1: Like are you looking at me?
Speaker 6: And I was like, no, I'm but like explaining it is kind of hard. Like I was watching the screen, like if.
Speaker 1: There is somebody in front of me playing a movie and there are subtitles on. There have been times, multiple occasions I've watched entire movies. Yes, just reading subtitles of the on the screen in front of me. Yeah, And I'm like, huh, I, I'm glad I didn't see that because I wouldn't have want to watch that. But I'm just like kind of read my way through this movie.
Speaker 6: I saw half of like a really bad horror movie that way. I think it was they were stuck on top of a tower or something and they were gonna fall off or I don't remember what it was, but it was bad. Oh barbarian No, no, no, No, that's that's a basement, isn't it. That's a basement.
Speaker 1: Well there's a water tower in it too.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: This The whole thing is like they climb up a tower and then the ladder breaks and then they're stuck up there. I don't know that that was the farthest I got.
Speaker 1: With it, you know, you know, it's really funny. Another anecdote. I'm sorry we've gone so we've gone so far off the tracks. It's okay, though, Miller on that trip I sat behind him. I forgot this. On our trip back home. One of our trips back home, he put on a Nora, but I was behind him and I had already watched a Nora. You were like yeah, and I was like, I was like, I want to see how he reacts when like the scenes come up, because he's got a person next to him, and he's like if you don't know Miller, he's like very very polite person and like very like Miller.
Speaker 2: I feel like was born a boss of someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like he's just the boss baby. Yeah, but like he's very considered of other people. And I was I was like taking bets in turn. I was like, is Miller going to turn this thing off? Is he going to keep going? What's he doing? And to his credit, he just had some like very uncomfortable shifts, like somebody's getting hammed on in the scene and he's like, time to take my water out and drink some water and like like kind of block part of this screen with the water bottle and like not really, and I got off. I was like, what do you think about a Nora? And he was like well, I was like, yeah, good movie though, Right.
Speaker 2: So I don't like these new verbs you keep creating.
Speaker 1: Getting hammed on?
Speaker 6: Is that a thing?
Speaker 1: Eric, I'm trying to keep it. I'm trying to keep it pseudo family friendly. Yeah, yeah, no one, No one.
Speaker 6: Can intuit your meaning. Yeah, the advertisers are gonna love getting handed on.
Speaker 1: Is what it is. That's part of life, part of life. These are all real life situations we find out just you're just you just can't.
Speaker 6: Eat ham anymore.
Speaker 1: I guess there are other verbs I could use, but they're very explicit, so I'm not gonna say them.
Speaker 2: You could just say during the love scenes or something like.
Speaker 6: That, during the love scene, during the more passionate moments of the movie. Yeah, okay, I have fine, getting a little mechanical with it over here. We need shirts now, new merch ideas say what getting hand hand?
Speaker 1: I got hand on? Anyways? Video games, let's round the show out with some games come highlight. I'm pulling up. I'm pulling up. Uh, we were about to we were about to crash into the ocean, but pulled us right up. We're all good games Come highlights. Did you guys have anything big that that really hit for you? I feel like it was kind of a mid show a little bit. There are some surrounding announcements that got me really excited. We saw a bigger look at Word of Warcraft Midnight, the upcoming expansion. For a wow, they showed off the new Ally race that is going to be in the game that you can play as, and it's the first Allied race in a long time, pretty much since Battle for Azaroth in twenty eighteen, where I'm like, oh, that's like a cool Allied race. The others have kind of been mid for me. The new Allied race.
Speaker 2: Are the.
Speaker 1: Hara let me let me pull it up. The hair a near. I'm gonna double check real quick because it's a funky, funky pronunciation, but yeah, they're like these these creatures that they were introduced in the War Within, which was the last expansion, And yeah the hair in near I was correct. And they are a group of secluded Hunters who you encounter in this upcoming expansion and the place that they're from. They don't actually build their architecture, they grow everything, and so like they've got these like really cool fungal towers and Moss Bridge and like these Really it sounds like a really cool idea for a little society of new people and wow, so I'm excited to kind of get that going. They showed off more player housing and the new zones I feel like the new there's three new raids dropping at launch, I think, and and eight new dungeons. It it seems like a pretty beefy update that'll be coming sometime in twenty twenty six. So that's probably probably my personal highlight. What about you, Charles, I've.
Speaker 2: Got the full trilogy here. Oh my god, Lego Batman one, Lego Batman two, DC Superheroes, and Lego Batman three. Beyond Gotham.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm the game. I'm the Lego game Informer guy. I don't know if you've ever read my artist profile my author profile on gaminformer dot com, but it is ninety percent just me talking about Lego Star Wars.
Speaker 1: I want to read it right now for the audience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, please do.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling up your staff gamefor dot com slash Staff. Do you ever need to go and find people? Ever since receiving Lego Star Wars as a Christmas present in two thousand and five, Charles has been an avid gamer. Since then, He's had the chance to play lots of other games like Lego Star Wars two, Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, Lego Star Wars three, The Clone Wars, and even Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga he loves. He also loves RPG's rhythm games and then with a great story. We're almost done now. Charles is stilled to be part of the game from her team, where he writes podcasts and edits video. He currently lives in Ohio. While doxing yourself, Charles with his partner, their dog, and their two cats. GOODBYO, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Lego Star Wars, Yeah, it was my first video game. I really like all the Lego games and Lego Batman. I had it on the DS hmmm, and there was like a console version and I didn't have I don't think it was on the Wii, but it was on like PlayStation two and I have a PlayStation two, and I would go to my friends. I had Lego Batman for the PlayStation two, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, you gotta let me in. This seems like the coolest thing in the whole world.
Speaker 3: For some reason, I thought it was a For some reason, I thought it was so cool that in the console versions of the games you could tilt the stick and walk before you ran, because I played Lego Star Wars on PC and I only had the arrow key and you could only run, and I was like, one day, I'll unlock the walking. Anyways, just a lot of nostalgia for me. I really liked the Skywalker saga and they kind of like Lego was like they were churning them out for a few years there, like it was like one a year for a while, and then they started really ramping it up. And then there was an era where I was like way too old to be playing them, and I fell off for I don't know, I was a senior in high school or whatever. But they had like Lego Incredibles and like, uh, I don't know, just a bunch of a bunch of Lego games that I.
Speaker 2: That weren't really on my radar at all.
Speaker 1: The last one I played was Lego Marvel Superheroes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, I love that one.
Speaker 3: Also, the one I really connected with as a kid, it was the original Lego Star Wars. But then my brother and I played so much Lego Batman two, and not for like any particular reason. We would just both spawn in. It had an open world Gotham City, and we would just like make up games to play in open world Gotham City, Like we would play tag and hide and Seek. And we had one game where I would play as the Flash and he would play as Mister Freeze and or no, he plays Captain Cold or I guess he played Miss Freeze, whatever case is. He would try to freeze me when I would run super fast, and for some reason we thought that was like peak game design.
Speaker 2: Was this game that the two of us.
Speaker 3: This is a game that I just like have have an unnecessary nostalgia for because of the situations around the game I created with my brother, But.
Speaker 2: There was a big gap.
Speaker 3: And then they did the Skywickersaga, which was like really reinvented the formula and made it like palatable to play as an adult. And uh, there's like character classes and I feel like there's like you can level up.
Speaker 1: In that game.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was just like way way more in depth than the series it'd ever been. And now this feels like kind of what they're doing with Lego Batman, and it's like a Batman.
Speaker 1: I would play the hell out of a Lego Batman right about now. That feels like, yeah, yeah, I played Lego Horizon Adventures and I didn't think the writing was good and it was kind of a little insufferable for me.
Speaker 2: And it's a different studio.
Speaker 3: Also, like like Post Post like twenty twenty or so, there's been a lot of other studios that are getting the Lego license to do other things, cause I think TT Games. I don't know if they had like an exclusive license for a while or what the deal was, but you'll like Lego Horizon was not TT Games.
Speaker 2: What's that other one? Builders?
Speaker 1: Am I making that up Build Journey?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's not teach Those are really good, are awesome, just no shade to them, just different different series.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so this is like they did Skyricrosaga kind of off the radar for a bit.
Speaker 2: Now they're coming back. They're doing Lego Batman.
Speaker 3: It's got scenes from like the movies and stuff. They always did their own Lego Batman stories, and now it's like looks like we're playing stuff that's in the Dark Night trilogy. In the Batman twenty twenty two, they have the explosive gel from the Arkham games. And I don't know like what playable characters there are, because it used to be a thing in the Lego games where it's like we have one hundred and fifty Batman characters and it goes from Batman and Robin and Robin in a scuba suit and Robin in a different scuba suit, Nightwing and night Wings with no hair, and then it's also like Condiment King or whatever, like they really they really milk it. And this one, as far as I know, there's like five playable characters that they've announced so far, and I'm curious if it's gonna like expand or if they're gonna keep it like more focused.
Speaker 2: But I'm just this is the most most nostalgic type of game that could exist for me, and I'm just really excited to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be clear, it's called Lego Batman Legacy of the Dark Knight, yes, which I think including the Dark Knight, and I know it includes like some scenes from those moves the Nolan.
Speaker 2: Verse, it's kind of unclear what like how exactly they're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is some kind of incorporation though.
Speaker 2: Open World Gotham again, which is exciting.
Speaker 6: That is exciting.
Speaker 2: And my got my brother to play Hide and Seek with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can play mister College mister frees in the flash. There we go, Eric, Any any highlights from you for the show?
Speaker 6: Two honorable mentions. First, I always love the Monster Hunter crossovers with the Final Fantasy fourteen, especially what fourteen ends up getting, so I'm very much looking forward to that content. It looked like Zoshiva is going to be the the Raid monster. I believe Ratholo was the previous one from Monster Hunter World maybe World Ice Born, but you could get a really cool amounts and do some really cool fights that incorporate some cool mechanics. I've never played the inverse of that where they put Final Fantasy monsters into Monster Hunter, but I have like kind of an endgame Monster Hunter Wild's character, and it looks like Omega is the one that's going into Monster Hunter Wilds for those who play Final Fancy fourteen at home, you know that Omega is sick. It's cool as hell.
Speaker 1: So for those what's omega?
Speaker 6: Omega is like a super weapon. It's it's basically like one of the most powerful weapons in all of Final Fantasy, next to Alexander and things like that. The idea of this is a construct meant to just be the ultimate weapon and the metal gear, yeah, you know what, not that far off. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's pretty similar. So I think that's pretty cool. And then Zoshiva was the flagship monster for Monster Hunter, is the dragon that has the big electric whip chains and stuff like that, So I imagine that could do some cool stuff in Final Fantacy fourteen, so I'm looking forward to checking that out. Also, honorable mention to one that I know you also care about Unbeatable Baby music is illegal.
Speaker 1: You're going to do crime.
Speaker 6: That's oh man. I cannot wait for that as a November sixth release date, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also I just as a shout out to them, like being one of the few game developers headquartered in Virginia, I believe, which is a rarity in my home state. So I've I feel like a cool sense of Pride like I believe they're based out of Alexandria last time I checked. But yeah, I'm excited for that game regardless looks I think Kyle put in our slack today like it's fully coolly vibes all over this thing.
Speaker 6: That era for sure, adult swim type vibes. Some throwback just everything about the music to the music sounds incredible. Some really cool mechanics interacting with musical soundbeats and things like that. For anybody who enjoys elite rhythm agents stuff like that will probably find a lot to love here. But I think my number one was a surprise I didn't see coming but probably should have seen coming, which is Donald War four. I like the Donald War series quite a bit. I really loved the first game. Two was kind of an eccentric oddity that I thought was really neat and novel, and I wanted to see incorporated more as they went forward. I didn't spend a lot of time with Donald War three. I did play a little bit, but I just I don't know, something didn't click with me with it. But Donald War four, I really loved Donald War four, or the idea of a new Dono War. I should say, and that's within the Warhammer University. Yes, as within Warhammer forty K. So far they have shown at least one faction of space Marines, which, of course you're always going to have them in there play as orcs. Yes, so Ork. We have seen the Orc Forces there though the log will ride uh. And then we have also seen Necrons and my two favorite fact my three favorite factions and Morehammer forty k are. I love the Tao because they look really cool. I love the Tyrannid because I always love a good alien hive mind a lah, the Zerg from StarCraft, and the Necron because space necromancers are cool. That's that's just a cool design, interesting fun So the Necron are They look like they're a big part of this specific Donald war Entry very excited that they're going to be in there from the jump, it seems, because that's a great faction just have in there and do cool, interesting things with. But it's also a real time strategy game. There are a lot of people trying to make new real time strategy games and it hasn't bad. Yeah, and I love StarCraft, I love Warcraft, I love Commanding Conquers, I love Oh my god, I feel really bad for forgetting the name of it. Not Total War, but it's something else. Alert no no Agian Mythology, Age of Mythology, also very good. It's the one that is is it Planetary Annihilation where you have the giant walking little bot and you build bases around it and stuff like that. That one's an old one, but a good one. I've loved real time strategy games for as long as I've been playing games, and it bums me out that we haven't had a good one to really grasp onto in a while.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I like that this one seems to just be going for You're gonna do cool stuff, You're gonna smash units together, You're gonna have a good time. Because competitive going for the esports scene, I think you can lose your way there. I think if you just make a really good strategy game, it's gonna be a good time. So Dona War, I'm hopeful we.
Speaker 1: Should play that together, assuming there's some multiplayer. I love RTS multiplayer.
Speaker 6: I would love to play some donov War.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I will only play ORCS.
Speaker 6: That's okay, I support that for you. I will. I don't know who I'll play if Tyrannids are in it, I'll probably play Tyrannids.
Speaker 1: Tell Yeah, well cool. I think that's gonna do it for the show this week, you know. I guess we're gonna We're gonna get more Hollow Night News finally later except for August twenty first, so.
Speaker 6: By the time this podcast is live, Hollow Night News will have happened.
Speaker 1: So yes, So I hope, I hope it's I hope it's worth it.
Speaker 6: Congratulations Slash.
Speaker 2: They could announce, other than getting canceled.
Speaker 1: A crossover with Rivals of Ether.
Speaker 6: They're they're adding more content and it's getting delayed further because they they're putting more content into it. That'd be the funniest thing.
Speaker 3: Actually, no, yeah, there we find out it's and now it's Silk Song Part one and part two.
Speaker 1: Oh no, shade Rivals of Ether. By the way, it's cool game.
Speaker 2: But why was why was that your worst?
Speaker 1: I don't know, like, if it's a crossover with the game Rivals of Ether, they do indie crossovers quite a bit, saying.
Speaker 2: If that's what it is, instead of Silk Song coming.
Speaker 1: Out, yeah, if it's like okay, oh, I was like, why didn't you say Fortnite, then why were you just because I because I played Fortnite and I would love to play the Hollow Night characters. But yeah, so it should be an eventful weekend. Stay safe out there, you know, with all these all these game announcements come and flying past you, they can get pretty pretty unsafe out there, so be careful.
Speaker 2: They can. They can really hamm on you, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get hand on yeah, yeah uh. And if you're flying on a plane this weekend, keep your socks on, for the love of God, you know, not everybody has.
Speaker 2: Don't and don't watch an don't I'm watching.
Speaker 1: Nora on the plane. If you're flying this week.
Speaker 6: Bring a cardboard box. If you watched EVO, they had those cardboard boxes to hide the fight sticks. Get one of those to hide your view of the monitor.
Speaker 1: I'm actually flying again and like later this week, so maybe I'll watch Anor just for the hell of it, just for to like exercise my free will and put on a Dora.
Speaker 6: Make eye contact.
Speaker 1: Follow the crew here this week. On social media. You can follow Charles at Chuck Talk three sixty five. You can follow Eric at c Moussy, and you can follow me at It's Van Aiken again. Please consider picking up a Game in Former subscription. Head to Game Informer dot com slash subscribe to get all the details and lock in your access to ten issues a year. Really excited for the what will be the third issue? We're gonna be revealing that in a couple weeks. I think that'll be cool.
Speaker 2: I think next week sue me.
Speaker 1: Who's to say, who's to say? You know?
Speaker 6: Not us?
Speaker 1: All right, I've had enough time to get off of this show. Bye, everybody, Thanks for watching. We'll see you next week.