Speaker 1: This is Sports Talk seven nine day. It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company here on Thanksgiving. Thank you guys for hanging out with us. Very thankful for our our crew. Here Coffee and Company meeting. My name is Nick Coffee, and I've got a couple of company men that are with me throughout throughout the journey. Here Austin Montgomery who's with us today, the company man, mister John Alden. But like you guys are also part of the company, hence the name Coffee and Company. We're all together, yeah, and we have a lot of fun. So hopefully you guys have yourselves a very good holiday. And uh, I know you you dude, man, I mean, are you I kind of I kind of I'm kind of worried that, like, I'm not even gonna be really taking in what is a great holiday Thanksgiving because I'm all in basketball mode, man, with Louisville beating the hell out of Indiana the way they did.
Speaker 3: Now, I know they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be playing tomorrow, likely against Gonzaga, who, of course is you know, one of the best teams in the country, big test, no doubt. But like I'm struggling. I don't know if I'm going to be in Thanksgiving mode, but I really don't care. I've missed what it's like to really, you know, feel like this.
Speaker 4: Here's what the feeling is.
Speaker 5: You could finally talk at the table, both literally and figuratively, because you're finally there. But now, you know, in past years at the Thanksgiving especially, they know you as the Louisville guy.
Speaker 4: You're on air talking.
Speaker 3: About all of their families around here.
Speaker 5: You know, they start they start talking about it, and then you just kind of shy away, the Rodney danger Field pulling out the collar.
Speaker 4: Ah, I got, let's just change the subject. And now now let's talk hoops. Baby.
Speaker 5: Now we can bring it to the table, along with the stuffing, along with the turkey, along with the green bean cast role if he may.
Speaker 3: I'm not a green may castro count of either what's your goats? What are you well?
Speaker 2: And it's a it's a it's a very popular dish for Thanksgiving for a lot of people. It's just not really my cup of tea. I mean, there's really not a specific side when it comes to Thanksgiving that I just have to have. I mean they're all great, at least the ones that I like. But one that I've really become a fan of, that that I hope is a part of every Thanksgiving meal I am fortunate to eat over these next couple of days, is like I've become a big corn casserole or corn pudding guy. Oh really yeah, Like I never saw it coming, but it's delicious. And of course you got to have mac and cheese. They'd have the green beans. Stuffing not a huge stuffing guy. I like stuffing if it's got gravy on it. And uh but I can I can take her to leave it. Stuffing's fine. Like to me, I do stuffing to feel like it's Thanksgiving because I like turkey, like on sandwiches. I like turkey lunch me. But like turkey. I mean it's I mean, I don't think it's a superior meat.
Speaker 4: Bro No, But listen, I don't hate it.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of there's a lot of people that just don't like it or over the novelty of Thanksgiving as a well, I was about to say as a former, but as a now present fat guy, like I love Thanksgiving The only thing that always find overrated about it is just for the longest time growing up, like that was Thanksgiving dinner was also like your dinner for the next week, right, because there's so much leftovers and I can't stand leftovers in the first place. Everything has to be so fresh for me just because I'm pretential. No, no, my girlfriend hates it. My my parents always hated it. There could be something fresh from yesterday that no, I don't want it.
Speaker 4: It's already yesterday, but I don't know what.
Speaker 5: Once again, thank you Thanksgiving for spoiling leftovers for me, because that's usually.
Speaker 4: On the on the menu for the next week.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'm a big time leftover.
Speaker 4: I'm a big time food waster. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, my wife doesn't eat leftovers, just doesn't. I mean, I think she's probably on the same page with you to where it's just not even a thought to like eat something that was cooked previously, and like she's more so to eat leftovers of like her own cooking. Not because she's like a snob and only wants to eat what she said, but if it's like homemade stuff like you know, chili or soup or a certain dish like she'll do leftovers when it comes to that. But like at a restaurant, you know, I usually get spoiled because I'll eat my food and sometimes take home whatever I didn't finish, and then I'll take hers home too because I know she's not gonna eat it. So works out well, we.
Speaker 3: Make it work.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Thanksgiving is like, I'm so tired of people claiming that Thanksgiving just gets disrespected and it's insane how.
Speaker 3: People have already shifted to Christmas.
Speaker 2: And I get why people say that, because Thanksgiving is one of those days. I feel like as far as holidays that you just know that like nearly everybody is off work. Now there's certain jobs like first responders and just you know, unique careers, and I guess just unique jobs that you know you will have to work. But even but even even jobs that are open on Christmas that aren't first responders or you know, health like medical people that work in the medical field, Like even if you work at like a Walmart or a McDonald's, they'll have a certain part of their day where everybody's away and being able to spend time with their family on usually Christmas and Thanksgiving. So like, I think those are the two days where I just feel like when it comes to a holiday, you can just tell, you can sense, and you can feel that like everybody's off because we're celebrating this big day just once a year. But with Thanksgiving. Look, Thanksgiving is a day. Christmas is a season. Like it's that easy to understand why Christmas is treated differently than Thanksgiving, Like I do you know, I guess just become a crotchety old man. That's like, why do people keep bringing up that, Like what we don't have to debate like what's better? You can like one over the other, and you can say Thanksgiving should get more love. But again, Christmas is a season in every aspect of it, Like it's the twenty five days of Christmas, like there's so much that comes with it. Thanksgiving is literally just a day, just the day, and it doesn't mean it's not great, but it's just the day. That's why Christmas is treated differently than any other holiday. And yes, I'm I'm very much a homer for Christmas because I love Christmas. But Thanksgivings ray too, and I'm looking forward to it. And man, Thanksgiving tomorrow is going to be certainly better now that Louisville beat the hell out of Indiana eighty nine to sixty one. I said this at the beginning of the show, and I'll say it once again.
Speaker 3: If you are unaware of the score, you've.
Speaker 2: Been disconnected because you've got you know, you're at work, or you're just tied up doing whatever you may be doing. Maybe you were away from connectivity and you just found us right now. And I tell you that Louisville one, eighty nine to sixty one over number fourteen Indiana today in the Bahamas. I believe that you would not believe me. I think you would assume that I'm making that up. You would probably say, there's no scenario that happened. And it's not just because you know Louisville one, but because of the score. But what if I told you this, It wasn't even as close as the score indicated. Louisville eighty nine to sixty one, a twenty eight point beat down, by the way, one of their biggest wins ever against a ranked team as far as margin. Let me pull up the number again, really quicker, just to reference, because it does speak to how impressive it is for Louisville. And of course how embarrassing it is for this for this Indiana team. But yeah, Louisville winning today against They won by twenty eight points against number fourteen Indiana. It's the largest margin of victory against a ranked opponent since they beat Yukon eighty one to forty eight in twenty fourteen, and that was the AC the American Conference championship game. And you know what's crazy, that Yukon team went on to win the national championship and it pains me to know that that Louisville team could have had back to back titles. But you know what, it also is great because that Yukon team kept Kentucky from winning another one under Calipari, which I'm happy happened. So this is the biggest win versus the top fifteen team since nineteen eighty six when Louisville beat Virginia Tech one O three to sixty eight. And it's the biggest ever against a team that is in the top fourteen, which is a you know, top fourteen is not something you typically here mentioned, but when it comes to I mean, this is the most they've beat somebody buy that is that in that tier there. But also again, like I'm not even kidding you when to time, it should have been a lot uglier. Louisville put the walk Ons in with a couple of minutes left, Indiana scored seven points. They went on a seven zero run with less than thirty seconds into the game. We're talking about a you know, a couple of quick buckets and a three after a steal at the buzzer to give you a twenty point or twenty eight point beat down instead of a thirty five point blowout. So again, it was not as closed as the score indicated. Woodson's out there pressing with its starters when the walk Ons are in, and to be fair to him, I get it because you know the numbers matter now like you need to not get it beat as bad and you need to beat teams really bad. When it comes to every night, no matter who you play, there's something you can do to potentially improve or I guess worse than your situation. When it comes to resume, it sounds kind of silly, like some say that you should cap it to where hey, a thirty point victory and a fifty point victory is treated the same, but they don't do it that way. Therefore, that's why you're seeing some teams go out there and try to win by sixty if they can, Louisville probably wouldn't have been able to do wouldn't have been able to do that today. But I wonder if Pat Kelsey didn't have to worry about getting his guys ready for a game twenty four hours late, or I guess really less than twenty four hours later, then maybe he would have left the starters in and not emptied the bench, and maybe it would have been a forty point beat down.
Speaker 3: But I said this.
Speaker 2: Earlier on the show and had some people reach out on the text line, not really answering the question, but sort of I guess assuming that I was probably right, which that's right. We don't have to look it up. We don't have to do our homework. We can just assume what I say is true. I kind of like that, But I think this Kenny Payne probably. In fact, I know Kenny Payne lost more games, but you know he lost games about twenty eight points or more. But I think the reason like Indiana fans are so beside themselves is because one Indiana, even in years they're not very good, doesn't lose the way they lost today.
Speaker 3: Louisville won twelve.
Speaker 2: Games the last couple of years, came into this game unranked and Indiana was favored. So you know, I tell you what, man, when it comes to this kind of a beat down, I think it's safe to say that this was a loss that's probably worse than any of the losses Kenny Payne had as far as just how bad it was, Like I thought throughout the game, especially in the second well the second half. I mean, I thought to myself, there was a sequence that Louisville put together that really just buried Indiana, and then at times it got a little worse, and then they would slowly but surely make a bucket to kind of stop the bleeding. But I really had to question if I was really watching what I was watching, like is this really happening?
Speaker 3: And it was great.
Speaker 2: I'd like to experience that again tomorrow on Thanksgiving if we can. Much easier said than done, because you know, you're likely going to be playing one of the best teams in the country in Gonzaga.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, let me check the score here, have we seen an update?
Speaker 2: Because last commercial break, I went to the restroom and at that point I think West Virginia had gone on a little bit of a run and it was close, but I haven't checked since then. I probably should have done that during the break. Let's see here right now. Wow, three minutes left and West Virginia is up one on Gonzaga.
Speaker 3: So how about that shout out?
Speaker 5: We actually just had a call or call in that said, I don't know, we might be playing Virginia. He didn't even want to talk, He just wanted to kind of lead that one out there.
Speaker 3: You mean West Virginia. Did you say Virginia.
Speaker 4: Because it's way what did I say? Virginia?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, not West Virginia. No, No, he was right. I was wrong.
Speaker 2: So I mean what, I kind of want West Virginia to win because it gives you an easier path to potentially find yourself playing for the Battle for Atlanta's championship. But also, if West Virginia can compete with Gonzaga, give me Gonzaga because that would be a much more valuable win. Right, Like, you can't control her. They're gonna play who they're gonna play. And to be fair, Louis's not a team that can look at a West Virginia upset here and think they can just roll in and win. I mean, they're gonna have to play well and play hard, and I think they will. But I'm kind of torn here. I kind of think I'd rather have Gonzaga. But then again, like maybe be careful what you wish for. And I don't say give me Gonzaga because I know Louisville's got to match up advantage and they're gonna beat him. I just more so mean, like I would love the opportunity to see Louisville get a chance to get another real valuable win. Now some would say, well, if West Virginia beat him and then you beat them, how valuable is it. Well, I don't know, but I feel in Zag at the end of day is gonna end up being a much better team than West Virginia at the end of the season, regardless of what happens today. So you know, we'll see what happens. But before we get to a break and then we're gonna get your phone calls to stick with us. If you're on hold, I promise you we're gonna get to you. But I mentioned Indiana kind of just being you know, distraught and dumbfounded by the embarrassment that took place today and Dan Dockich, a former ESPN analyst, which, by the way, I know Docic is not a super popular guy around here. And Dockage, I mean, I think his brand that he wants to have is just to be kind of unlikable. Now he claims he's just being real and telling you like it is, but like, I don't think Docage wants to be liked. I think that's kind of just his his brand. But he's a really, really good basketball analyst. And you can't say that around here without people throwing stuff at you, because you know, some people just think he's the worst.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 2: But if you just take away the personality, you take away, you know, the prickliness of Dan Dockicch and you just I mean, he he ESPN lost a valuable basketball analyst when he when he got fired or left whatever happened. Now he's talking politics, which just whatever. I don't care about that. I'm just saying, like, he's really good at talking hoops. And he apparently has been out front saying that Indiana's got some problems here with Mike Woodson, and he did about two minutes on Twitter after the game and Austin. I don't I checked it there. I don't think there's any cursing that we would have to dump, but just be careful in case I might have missed something. But here's Dan Dakich after Indiana got their ass kicked today by by Louisville.
Speaker 6: So I sent the same thing to Woodson and Whitman. Just now, look, I'll give Indiana fans a little hint. Only two coaches since Bob Knight have been successful in Indiana. Half of Tom Crane and Calvin Samson both just emphasized toughness. That's it. Calvin Samson's not a great coach. Calvin Samson can't begin to coach near what Bob Knight could. Tom Crean's not even in that conversation. But when Crean came in, he talked about toughness. Then he got a little full of himself and got kind of stupid, and he, I guess, had to go. I didn't think he should have, but Samson was gonna be successful. Samson didn't care about offense defense. He just cared about toughness. I sent that to Woodson and I sent that to Whitman, and I'll laugh at all you guys and get mad at me about TikTok videos little guys Cooper, Cup and Galloway acting like I don't know. I didn't want to say little girls because little girls are tougher. So Indiana gets embarrassed. They spent over a million dollars on a fat ass center that can't run up and down the court. They're an entitled team that never talks about toughness. Now again, I said they're going undefeated, but I always say they're going undefeated.
Speaker 4: That was embarrassed. That was a mess.
Speaker 6: That was god awful, and I got to assume it's a one off right now, right, But when you watch that fat ass center, and you watch how silly, stupid and ridiculous that Galloway kid is and that Cup is, and I've learned that half the team is tired of those two and their social media stupidity, you might have a real problem. We'll see. Anyway Indiana gets embarrassed, they'll win tomorrow and it'll be back to winning a national championship. I put us on everybody involved with the program. If you're at Indiana, you talk about toughness. If you don't, you get your ass kicked.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, if I believe the wow social media dancing on TikTok is why they're not tough. But to be fair to Dockage, you know, Indiana did have an advantage physically, but they didn't.
Speaker 3: I mean you wouldn't have known.
Speaker 2: I mean physically, you would have known just by watching, meaning like just looking at the pound per pound presence that they had in the post.
Speaker 3: Louiel didn't have much of that at all. But Louisville was.
Speaker 2: Tougher and and you know, along with other you know, toughness was one of the many reasons why Louisville was able to win the way they won the day, and it was awesome to see. And I mean, I hope Indian ends up being good this year because obviously that'll be good for Louisville. I don't know if they're going to be, but I will say this, the talent is there. I mean, they have good players in Louisville did a lot of good things to take that away, and really it was dictating the style of play in the tempo. And what that did is that let Indiana never get comfortable. They got sped up without realizing, and then sure enough Louisville just kind of boomed them, I mean, and just kind of took the game over and they took a good lead into the half and then really got it rolling right out of it. I mean, in fact, the first first two plays of the second half were not great Louisville. I think they had an empty possession, offensively gave up a transition bucket, and I think it might have been Debbie Antonelli who had said, that's the first time I've seen Indiana beat Louisville down the floor. That was the first two plays of the game, first two plays of the second half. Well, then after that, Louisville just started running them out of the gym and it was a beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: He called Gabe Cup Cooper Cup.
Speaker 2: Did he Yes, Well, the fat ass center that he's referring to. And I mean, I'm just referencing what he said. I'm not doing the name calling Omar Ballo is. I mean, he's he's talented, he's really big, but he's become a guy that, like, you don't even have to follow college basketball that closely to know that there's a reputation that he's kind of lazy. There's been some plays that have surfaced on you know, people clipping a clipping something on Twitter and putting it up there where it's just like, all right, there's really no excuse for that, for this lack of effort that's out there. And you know today, I mean, he clearly and I don't know, I don't know if it was due to him not given everything he had.
Speaker 3: I don't think he played that hard.
Speaker 2: But either way, I'm not sure would have mattered, because again Louisville Toms looked forty points better than Indiana today, which again was a beautiful thing. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, talk a little more football. College football playoff rankings are out, get back into this Governor's Cup matchup, and the first thing we'll do is get to your phone. Calls five to two, five seven, one, seventy nine hundred is the number stick with us. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thortons right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety number one for sports Sports Talk seven ninety. You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Well done, mister Montgomery. This is the ultimate Thanksgiving anthem here.
Speaker 4: It started from this.
Speaker 2: This was like before TikTok right like this, I think this became a thing before TikTok had kind of exploded. And it's just some woman at some woman thinks you the preacher, right yes, and somebody decided Shirley Caesar.
Speaker 3: Man is that guy still?
Speaker 2: Who is it that that was so good at taking a viral clip of somebody yelling or singing and like, you know, putting a beat to it and like making a jam out of it. I can't think of who it was because he had a tagline before any anyways, it's not relevant, but that was that was one of something like that. That was one of his That was one of his best there because that that that that just goes like it's until you hear that song, yeah, Thanksgiving or fourth of July like that that that just that works.
Speaker 3: It's good stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, good stuff there, all right, Coffee and Company feel by Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us as we get you said for Thanksgiving. I'm very very thankful for a lot of things, including what we saw today. And I'll be even more thankful if, in fact, on Saturday, Louisville is able to uh, to get the Governor's cut back where it belongs. Been a long time, you know, I I don't want to give you the same thing I've given you anytime this game comes up. But I swear last year I remember thinking, all right, that sucked in a major way, but silver lining one, you're going to the a SEC Championship game. Still, that loss didn't take you out of the playoff. You weren't getting in either way. And also, there's no way we'll ever have a worse loss than that to Kentucky. So let's just get it out of the way. And here we are a year later, and I this is just my opinion. I think that a loss here would be worse than the loss last year, and I don't even think it would be close. But I'm well aware that other people view it differently, and that's totally fine. I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just here to tell you what I think and how I see it. But I think Kentucky being as bad as they are this year, and you know, every number, metric, anything you reference will tell you that this Kentucky team is not very good. Now, they've got talented players. I think they've got some guys that are going to play in the NFL, but that hasn't helped them against some of the bums that have beat them this year on their home field. So you know, I guess it depends on how it looks, but I think a loss to Kentucky would be I mean, it's not going to change anything for my life. It's not going to ruin my life. It's not going to it just I feel like it would be as devastating as any loss that we've had to them. But also just because like I'm like, if that happens, and I don't think it will, and I certainly hope that it doesn't. Like maybe I'm a little bit more prepared for it to deal with it, But I don't think anybody really knows how they're going to react, how they're going to feel when it comes to the rivalry games, rather it be a win or a loss, because again, it's just a different feeling than anything else, because it means a lot more, and I wish more would embrace that that this is not a mean, this game really means very little to everyone outside of fans and coaches. I guess, I mean, players obviously want to and they want to compete, but the players come and go. Coaches stick around at least they want to. They want to be here for a long time, right, So you know, I'm sure it's a little bit different for them. And how you do against your rival is a big factor in how your fans are going to treat you. So you know, outside of coaches, it's just fans. This game that Kentucky, if they get it, it's not going to change the fact that they had a terrible season. They're not going to a bowl game. They went one and seven in their league. Now, I think it would make it feel even better to know that they could be this terrible and still beat Louisville, which, again, that's my point is why it would be such a devastating loss if that's what happens for Louisville. A win does nothing, and I mean nothing as far as like your season and the type of bowl game you go to.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe you would get a better bowl at eight and four rather than seven and five. Well, let's be real, these bowl games have for years now seemed to kind of flat and meaningless. It's going to be a different level of that now that you've got twelve teams in the playoff, and everybody who does want to stick around in college football, they're going to have to decide if they want to go to the portal. And I think players will know, hey, if I go to play in this bowl game, I could get hurt. But also I'm getting a late start. There's already other guys in my position in the portal that a team would take, and I would like to be that player that they take. So I'll bring all that up to say, again, this is just about bragging rights around here, and Louisville has not had bragging rights when it comes to this game and this matchup in far too long. And I have oftentimes talked about how Kentucky football has made substantial improvement, and really they're in a different world than they were pre Mark Stoops. But because of that, it's also made them think that they've accomplished something that really they haven't. And again, props to them for being a lot better than they really, you know, have ever been. But you know, you'd have them coming into the offseason here and there of the last four years thinking that they might be competing for the SEC East, which is ludicrous, but like they would believe that, and I would love to clown on them, but you know what, and we can you know, and just say like, hey, you're not that good, and we can take satisfaction when they get beat but they beat us every year since twenty seventeen. So like it's you know, what's it say about us if they're if they're continuingly to, uh, you know, get it done in this rivalry game. So you know, with that said, you know you need to get the cutback. And I don't think that the gap has really been there between the two programs.
Speaker 3: But let's be real.
Speaker 2: On the field, that is, it's looked like they were I mean last year was just last year was a competitive game and louisll let them hang around, and they made some mistakes and Kentucky took advantage. And uh and I think last year they were pretty evenly matched when it comes to personnel. I really do believe that. And Louisville did what you have to do to lose that game, and credit to credit to Kentucky for forgetting to win. But in years before that, whenever Satterfield was here, I mean, it looked like I mean, dare I say boys against men? I mean I hate to say that because that that's you know, Louisville had some good players that I really you know, some of those guys are having success in the NFL right now. Ya Adabi is Sira Abdullah. I mean Louisville had good players in the Sadarfield era, but like the mindset, the mentality of the program under him was not was not good enough. It didn't match Kentucky when it comes to their fight, when it comes to their importance of this game. And I think last year that wasn't the case. Little didn't lose because they weren't into it. They didn't lose because they didn't match Kentucky's edge when it comes to just being up for the game. And this year, if in fact, you meet that once again and maybe hopefully exceed it, meaning you come and you are the aggressor, you are ready to go, you're sharp, you're not sloppy. You should win this game. And it really shouldn't even be that close. I don't think you're gonna blow them out, but I mean it shouldn't be you know, it shouldn't be a game where you feel like, you know, in the third quarter, gosh will be lucky to win, So I feel like Louisville will win. I think that feeling is a little bit of wishful thinking on my part. But also, let's be real, Louisville as favored, they've had a substantially better season than Kentucky, and Kentucky being what. This is where it's rare because I think in years, I mean, when's the last time Kentucky entered this rivalry game with a losing record? I mean, usually they've already got seven wins or I guess usually I guess they've got six or seven by the time we get to this.
Speaker 5: Game, or they're playing for that Bowl for the bull el eligibility.
Speaker 4: Like last year, right, weren't they weren't they already had six?
Speaker 2: Okay, And that's the thing is that they were, like they weren't great last year, and they weren't great the year before. They were underwhelming the last two years as far as what their expectations were because they started talking suc East. But this is next level bad for them. I mean, like, this is not only a Louisville team that I think despite their four losses, and again, three of those came against really good teams in games that Louisville could have and should have won, and it's you know what it could have should. They don't get credit for winning games they didn't win. But you know, this is a rare element in the matchup that does you know, I know, throw it out the window, right, it doesn't matter. It's a new it's a new ball, a new season all that. You know, it's cliche, but you know, cliches or cliches for a reason. But the new element that I'm referring to is that this is a Kentucky team that really has never been this bad since. You know, when SIPs got there and he took over with Joker, that was one thing. And then after he kind of got settled in. If you remember Louisville two straight seasons and it was phenomenal. Louisville kept them from going bowling like that was great. You remember in twenty and fourteen it was Lamar was no, I'm sorry, not fourteen, it's Kyle bowling, right, No, So in two thousand and in two and fifteen, Kyle Bolan came in for the injured Reggie Bonifon, who got rocked and really never never.
Speaker 3: Really played successfully at quarterback after that.
Speaker 2: If my memory serves correct, and Bowling comes in and he's a gamer. He's a guy that is built to come off the bench loose and just go out there and make play. He's not a guy that has all the talent, but he has enough. And you know what else he had out there, a guy named Devonte Parker who he could just throw it up to and Kentucky wouldn't double team him, and all it took was him just relying seemingly every play on, hey, I've got Devonte Parker, let me go throw them the ball and figure out if they're ever going to be able to stop him. And they really weren't. Now with it, a very forgotten performance in that game that was insanely impressive, but it was in a losing effort, and he I think left early and again a forgotten guy for Kentucky.
Speaker 3: You remember the name.
Speaker 2: Boom Williams for Kentucky running back, of course, he was phenomenal in that game, and it was kind of like those two guys. It was Boom Williams for Kentucky that just you know, wouldn't be denied on the ground. And then obviously Demonte Parker could not be defended and Louisville was down, looked like it was gonna not happen for him, and then sure enough they fought back and they won, and they kept Kentucky from going to a bowl game. A year later in Lexington, Kentucky's up twenty one to nothing. They had gone through three different quarterbacks that year. It was Kyle Boland, Reggie, and Lamar. Lamar was a true freshman. Well, Lamar didn't start the game, but he came in and put up video game type performances and quite literally made them look foolish because he just single handedly erased the deficit and Louisll ended up blowing them out. They were down twenty one nothing, ended up winning the game by I think about twenty one point points. And it's just something you remember because it's almost something that just doesn't seem real. But after the game, I don't know who the coordinator was on defense for Mark Stoops at the time. And obviously he's a guy that is very much involved in, you know, the defensive I mean, he's a defensive coach. That's that's why he's at Kentucky. That's how he ended up getting a chance to be a head coach because he was very successful as a decordinator. But what I'm getting at is they said after the game one of the players, I forget which one it was. That, I mean, they just admitted that they never even prepared as if Lamar was going to play, not because they didn't think he was good enough, not because I mean, not because he never plays. They just for some reason in their game plan. They just because Bowland's the guy who picked him apart, and really just you know, had a great game against him the year before. He's from Lexington. This game's there. I think they just assumed it was going to be his day, and when it wasn't his day, Bobby put Lamar in, and Lamar, I mean, that's low key one of Lamar's best performances statistically, just because Kentucky had no answer for him. And then, of course a year later they beat Louisville when they were twenty seven point underdogs, which of course was a real punch to the gut. And then the game that they forget about, and it was the last.
Speaker 3: One the Louisville won.
Speaker 2: Like Lamar has a winning record, made Kentucky look foolish every game he played. I mean, even the game they lost. He was still phenomenal, and they bring up the fumble, of course, but the next year he went down there to Lexington and toyed with him and they couldn't compete. They started throwing trash cans. Really just acted like complete fools.
Speaker 4: Forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah you move the trash can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fight. They had a fight on the side, and one guy got ejected.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: He was Jordan Jones was his name.
Speaker 2: He could he could not he could not contain himself from wanting to either fight Lamar Jackson or maybe like make love to him.
Speaker 3: Look, it was really odd.
Speaker 2: He could not help himself, like he wanted to just be He wanted on him. And you know, I'm sure Lamar was like easy, dude, it's a football game. So you know, Famili's here exactly. So you know, when when Kentucky in those games, I mean, Kentucky wasn't as good as Louisville in those games they lost. They weren't as good as Lovelle twenty sixteen when they beat m I mean again, they were better in that game, and that's all that matters. But like Kentucky didn't go out there and really proved that Louisville wasn't any good. It was just, you know, Louis let him hang around long enough, and the defense fell apart with Todd grant them at the end there, and you know, credit Stephen Johnson. Stephen Johnson, that's one of the best performances I've seen from many quarterback in this rivalry series. Stephen Johnson, I think he's kind of a forgetting guy. Maybe I say that as a non Kentucky fan. Maybe he's very well beloved and remembered by Big Blue Nation. But he was so poised, and I don't know how talented he was, but he was talented enough, and he was a gamer, and he made some plays in that game that were phenomenal and that's how they were able to win. So this Kentucky team limping in with a one in seven record in league play, they do have a win against ole Miss, which does show that they can beat a good team. Ole Miss isn't great, but they're still a really good team with talent, and Kentucky went down there and beat them in Oxford, but they also lost at home by double digits to Auburn and Vandy. I don't know, Vandy got him by double digits, but Vandy beat him. And in Vandy, by the way, is a good example here because when it comes to when it comes to the Kentucky being no longer the doormat of the SEC, they then think like they're about to go from thirty years of being irrelevant in football for the most part to thinking they can compete for the East, like they're getting way ahead of themselves.
Speaker 3: That's like Vandy this year.
Speaker 2: Vandy having a pulse and not being quite literally the worst power program in the country has led to people trying to tell you that beating Vandy is a quality win and losing to Vandy is understandable, and like that's just not reality. You can live in that world if you choose to, but you're thereby yourself and everybody else is looking at you like you're a fool. So again, none of that means that the Kentucky's for sure going to lose to Louisville. I'm just saying this is a different level of Kentucky being in this situation late where they have, I mean, they're defeated, like they're pretty lifeless.
Speaker 3: As a fan base.
Speaker 2: I think their guys probably will come out with a little bit of urgency and a spark because it's the Governor's Cup game. They know, hey, we've been bad this year, but hey we do pretty good in this situation. Let's see if we can do it again. We've got a new quarterback out there. The freshman's going to throw it all over the yard. We got a new life on offense. But I think what Louisville can do is get off to a good start. And I believe a good start for Louisville maybe a ten ozher ten and nothing start. Somehow, I think that will end Kentucky season. They'll go and it's not because they're just gonna quit and say all the hell with this, I'm done. It's the human element that I reference all the time that nobody seems to really account for. Like when you've taken the lumps they've taken this year, and you know, the noise out there about your program right now is that your fans don't want your coach to come back. It's all it takes is a little bit of adversity and then you go right back like you can't snap out of a funk that they've established this season as quickly as people think you can. So I think it's really important for Louisville to get off to a really good start because I think if Kentucky gets off to a really good start, that could spell for disaster. And what I mean by that is that could be to where Kentucky does in fact cling to this new life that they have and maybe they know a lot younger think or they maybe they can in that moment, in that game, those four quarters, they can remove all of the you know, the funk if you will, that they've established throughout a disastrous season that really there's no excuse for Kentucky in you know, previous worlds could be one in seven, four and seven overall and you would just say, well, what are you gonna do? It's Kentucky football, like they're just they're inept, but not now. They've got talent on this team and it's resulted in them being very underwhelming and just bad.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: They're alone in fifteenth place by themselves out of sixteen teams in the SEC. So again, all this stuff I'm bringing up about Kentucky, it's not because I'm like, oh, they suck, They're so bad, they're so terrible. Louisville's going to roll about thirty I'm just emphasizing why I tell you that this would be a disastrous loss for Louisville because if they can beat you with this team, it really is like what do we I mean, why do we play the game? And I'm not saying we should not play it. I'm just saying, like, can you ever expect a victory if you can't get this one? And again, it's also tricky because I'm well aware that they're not one in seven in league play because they are terrible. So anyways, quick break will come back on the other side, keep it rolling along. Again, It's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thortons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: It'll be Louisville and West Virginia, not Gonzaga tomorrow on Thanksgiving. So a couple of upsets to get the day started in the battle for Atlantis. I don't know how many people are even familiar with this West Virginia team. They've of course had a rough few years. The ending of the Bob Huggins era wasn't a good one. They were really bad last year, but they made a coaching change, and they went and hired Devreze who was the Drake coach and his son's the hell of a player he brought in with him, and I think they brought a few players from Drake with them.
Speaker 3: And they weren't having a great start.
Speaker 2: I mean, they they did blow out Robert Morris and their opener, which is what you'd expect. They had a close game with the UMass team that's really really bad. They lost to Pittsburgh by twenty four points just a week or so ago, and then they did beat up on Iona before making the trip to the Bahamas. But they just knocked off number three Gonzaga in overtime. So clearly Louisville has a more I guess manageable path to the championship. But if West Virginia can do that to Gonzaga, you know you got to come ready to play.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean by that when it comes to like the Gonzaga win would certainly have given you a little bit more of a resume boost. But the counter that would be, well, if you beat them after Westgi well, I guess if you if West Virginia lost to them, then you would have been you had have been giving gonzagular first loss in not West Virginia. But look, I'll take it after a beat down like we saw today, eighty nine to sixty one. Again, the score wasn't even as close as you would unless you if you watch the game, you know the game was a lot, a lot uglier than the twenty eight point victory that you see on the scoreboard. But now they've got a chance to go get another win that I would imagine, you know, West Virginia with their win against Gonzaga, the metrics, the numbers are gonna are gonna really jump for them to where with the I'll put it this way, the ACC is really really bad this year, and I don't we don't need to get into that today, but like ACC basketball, it's sad what it's become. I mean, I think Duke and Carolina are still gonna end up being really good teams. But at the end of the day, those two teams have now played two really good teams and lost both games. I mean, Carolina got blasted by Auburn last night. Duke's now lost to Kentucky and to Kansas, which again not bad losses, but your best teams are playing other league's best teams and losing, and then everybody else in the league.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure any of them are that good.
Speaker 2: So with all that said, a win against West Virginia will probably end up looking a little more valuable at the end of the year than some of the games you're gonna play in the ACC because there's not a lot of great options out there's not a lot of great quality wins you can get, at least doesn't look like it right now. All right, Austin, you got any feeling real quick on this on this Governor's Cup game, I haven't even haven't even thrown it to you. I feel like you're kind of in the mindset of, like, you know, Louisvill's better and shit, man, but after what's happened in the last what six seven times.
Speaker 3: Like it's hard to just say you expect it to happen, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, I mean it's it's ast for you. It's always no I think you did. You just kind of nailed it on the head. It's like a sort of cautiously optimistic kind of thing, because I mean, just go out there and beat a bad Kentucky team. They're at their lowest right now. Just go ahead and give them the coup de gras if you will. And it's just if something happens and this is I mean, it might just be a little bit tougher than we expected, but I am still expecting a win. However, on the same end, like I would not be surprised whatsoever if we get a tough game when Kentucky's in. But I mean, Jeff Brown knows the assignment like you've You've nailed it constantly ever since last year. He's probably thought about that game more than anybody has and more than any other game that this year. So I think that this is a huge redemption spot for them, And I have to echo your sentiment. If you can't beat them at their lowest right now, then when when the hell can When is it going to happen?
Speaker 4: Yes? When when's it gonna happen?
Speaker 2: Well said? All right, quick break, We'll keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety