Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back, Welcome back, another week another Inside hum Beernine, How are you? I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm okay, well not the best actually have been ill for about a week, but hoping to be over it soon. Yeah, just means I'm going to be.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, bless you.
Speaker 1: We're we'll have to edit a lot of those out, Yeah, apologies if we do.
Speaker 2: Here Anie, Yeah, I'm off on holiday this week. I've been dreading catching something. Yes see, my parents and the little nieces were there full of cold, and I'm like, why didn't you tell me?
Speaker 1: Dear?
Speaker 2: But so good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're looking forward to going away?
Speaker 2: M Yeah, I can't wait very excited and last day at worked for you? Is it? No?
Speaker 1: Yes, I've got one week to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah I thought it thought it was one week. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exciting times, exciting and terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Change, Yeah, that fun. I wonder if you spotted our hair from last.
Speaker 2: Week it was twelve days of Christine.
Speaker 1: Wonder if me is going to be grateful? Well, we'll find out.
Speaker 2: It's unlike you. We've still got like twelve days of Christine and ever yeah, grateful. No, I'm in treated to seeing the edit how well that turned out?
Speaker 1: Yes, but yeah, that was that spot. Another one this week if you can m m that we want hidden somewhere.
Speaker 2: We are back this week with episode four of series five, Misdirection. Indeed, in the Insane Number nine Wiki, we have world famous magician Neville Griffin is extremely protective of his secrets, but student journalist Gabriel is determined to get his interview. Nonetheless, Griffin actually believes that stealing a magic trick is possibly worse than murder. How could he know that? Exactly? Another one that I think is quite a favorite of people's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that.
Speaker 2: I think it's quite one of the more famous ones. What are your thoughts.
Speaker 1: It sums up their em doesn't it. The whole title mister, I think they said, actually that misdirection could have been the title of Pehole show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would work very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do quite like it.
Speaker 2: It does remind me very much of those sort of like Jonathan Creaky type, maybe even Hustle. Maybe I don't remember, like having like little flashbacks to stuff that happened.
Speaker 1: And yeah I get that. Yeah, I was thinking Sherlock was getting very shirlocky vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 1: There was another episode of Inside Umber nine that I felt like this was a very close twin too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wondered if we had the same thought at all.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if we had the same one.
Speaker 1: What are you thinking, Sphinx?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all centered around a thing and sort of an apprentice to the thing exactly talking you through it and learning it.
Speaker 1: Student and the teacher. Yeah, the teacher is an asshole. Yeah, and then the student has this sort of ulterior motive to get revenge or something. Yes, yeah, it's very similar when you look at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at this time, reskets the turner's being the asshole exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I felt like his voice was similar to another character, but I couldn't think who.
Speaker 2: I know, I know what you mean. Yeah, I can't think who either.
Speaker 1: But it might just be a kind of voice he uses quite a lot. I don't know if it just run out of voices. Like it's quite a Steve light episode. Yeah, which is a shame. Yes, it's fun while he's there. I've not seen in a long time, so I was quite excited to watch it again. And it started with Steve as the magician. I was like, but I remember it being race, Like, what's okay? Right, Yeah, we've got rid of Steve. That makes more sense Willie Wonder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see that on the cruise ships.
Speaker 1: I mean, when that's the name you're given, you've only got quite limited career options, haven't you.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean yeah that's what he was born as.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the people crystal chandeliers that end up working as strippers. It's like, what did you expect?
Speaker 1: I love his Irish accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw a beau. I was reading up on people's opinions and someone had comment and read it very specific pet Peeve as an irishman. I hate bad Irish accents, and I hate even more the drunken irishman can be controlled with a bottle of whiskey stereotype. You couldn't do that with any other race. Cheap shot shots. I see we are okay. Yeah, it's just a joke. So the chair raising experience, it's a really cool intro to the episode, Like, you don't know, is this going to be quite a scary, horrory type episode, Like it opens quite I don't know.
Speaker 1: Moodily and quite sinister. The soundtrack that's playing on the phone, it's kind of reminds me of the Exorcist music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently it was inspired by tubular bells. He's had it kicking around and finally found an excuse to use it.
Speaker 1: They said, yeah, it's the perfect thing, and yeah, it's very I know, it's quite a weird, quite a weird trick.
Speaker 2: It is weird, Like, yes, it's impossible to work out how it was done, but it isn't all that impressive, Like it's impressive, but it's all over and done within a few seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just weird. Like you know, him with the big sheet over his head. If you went to see a magician and you watch that, you'd be a bit like, why why's he got sheet over his head? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I've seen the interviews with him where they've said that all the tricks in the episode are real and can be done blah blah blah, except this one, which was totally made up. But I want to know, like, in universe, what does the sheet achieve? Why can't we see his face while he's doing it?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it's meant to be. You couldn't possibly work out how it's done, so they just put in something to to sort of add to the believability that it could be some sort of trick. You just you just don't know how it works. But it doesn't really make sense.
Speaker 2: But I was reading obviously it was just done with the crane, yes, really, and they just painted that out afterwards. But because he was technically working at height, the seat had to be fitted with a safety belt like a seat belt, but he had to fumble and put on under the sheet, and that's why he's sort of faffing about for a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm wondering if that's why they added in the tapping the feet in time to do that. Yeah, they could have just cut away, but the director wanted to keep it fixed on him in real time, so that, Yeah, it sort of looks like a real trick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a trick for TV where they cut away and then something has happened exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And obviously we're setting this lock up, which is like Neville's magic store room basically he keeps all his paraphernalia.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course we've not set where we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quite a cool, cool set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Reesa' is saying how he wants to live there. Yeah, it was one of his favorite sets he's ever worked done, And a lot of the props are apparently Reese's from his own collection of magic stuff, like in the same way that Rily the Sphinx with very much Steve's passion project for being a crossword lover, this is very much Reese's. Like he's a big fan of magic and does a lot of magic. Apparently has a room in his attic that's behind a bookcase full of magic equipment. But yeah, Neville, which is Reese's character, very much enjoys the trick and wants to buy it. Yes, Why also is will he there because he's not selling this trick or like, no is it just showing off.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing they must have met and then he's like enticed him back to his place with alcohol, Yeah, and like tried to get in his good books sort of thing. I suppose he's just being nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so, But yeah, more fool him. Hmmm. Do we reckon when Neville produces the bottle of whiskey? Is his plan at that point just to get him drunk or do you reckon he's planning on killing him right from that point.
Speaker 1: It does seem like a spur of the moment thing when he decides to hit him. Yeah, it doesn't seem premeditated to me, So yeah.
Speaker 2: I reckon he's probably just trying to try and get him drunk and then read his notebook.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess he sees the sheet over his head and he's like, oh, well I could you know? This will be quite.
Speaker 1: Easy, Yeah, because I think he has to get rid of him, because otherwise then if he starts doing the trick, he'll know where he got it from and he'll take him to court.
Speaker 2: So yeah, although I guess, well, he's meant to be quite a bit older than Steve is, like maybe he's hoping that he'll just die at some point and he'll be able to take the trick.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see after he dies.
Speaker 2: Because he's only performed it for like little kids and stuff. Maybe he can just claim it's his now or something that's true.
Speaker 1: But anyhow he does kill him. Hmm, we get a great comedy killing scene of trying to kill him with all this trick stuff that doesn't work.
Speaker 2: One thing after another, Like you've got the boat that doesn't work, you've got the guillotine that starts not to work. Apparently they cut out that he was going to attack him with a sword that turned into flowers. Oh wow, but have to chop it for time not intended. I did wonder if, because I couldn't remember exactly how it worked, whether the guillotine was how it would end, or whether that was yet another one that just wouldn't because it's obviously not designed to kill him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you've.
Speaker 2: Made your guillotine very badly. In the magic trade, you get through a lot of assistance that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Isn't it one of those things where they show you first, like on a watermelon or something, it does work, and then they flick a switch or something and it goes to the fake version pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Penn and Teala do it very well with a big circular sore on a bench and like make a big point of being like, you know, this is how it works. You get under here, and you like there's a little cavity under that people can get in, and it all works. It's all safe because of this metal bar that stops the fingering and he pulls out and waves it around, at which point Teller then drops the blade on someone and like they cuts right through them and got to go everywhere, and like, right, that's their play on it is that it goes wrong and kills the person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but any who, we have a time.
Speaker 2: Jump, we do how many years later?
Speaker 1: I wonder what number did they choose? Yeah? Nine years later he's now successful. He's a successful stage magician. Yes, he's married, still in the same lock up. Yeah, and my god, he looks ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The outfit it's horrible, isn't it. Yeah? Real bad, but recognizable, I suppose. Yeah that's what you need, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was thinking how the wife Jenny only really exists in this to be murdered.
Speaker 2: Yes, she doesn't really have much of a character. No, and they don't really have much of a relationship.
Speaker 1: No, they don't.
Speaker 2: I was gonna be one of my main criticisms of it that I don't really feel the characters are as strong as a normal week.
Speaker 1: No, I don't really believe their relationship.
Speaker 2: No, this is going to be have a point for later, But I didn't really know, Like he doesn't really seem to care when she's murdered either.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I literally thought that, as he seems so sort of blase, He's just a bit like.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, well that happened, right, what do you know?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: But yeah, do we reckon? Would he actually have been any success anyway? Like, is it solely this trick that's made him famous? Because I was wondering that we only really see him do two tricks, the second one being the cards that he says is quite straightforward and he makes no bones of that, and this one, the Zigzag Lady is such a off the shelf trick.
Speaker 1: Yes it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it doesn't require any any of his own thought.
Speaker 1: No, I think it is. I think it's the chair raising experience was the gateway that allowed him to make it. Yeah, which she knows so much of the show bus is about luck and being in the right place at the right time. So yeah, you know, if all he needed was one trick to get him sort of talked about, Yeah, and then you kind of ride on that, don't you ride on your name and everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the rest. He doesn't need to come up with something as impressive because he's already big enough name as.
Speaker 1: It is, or we just he might have loads of other cool stuff but we don't see it.
Speaker 2: True, true, But yeah, she's just so. I guess she used to be as assistant the fella and I've got married blah blah blah, and she's got bored of it and has retrained and is doing something that involves staying in a hotel.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was wondering if I'd just missed it what it is. But no, they don't say, do they.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: And something that means she'd be very likely to know what a mount weasel is. Yes, like she knows, Like she says, that's so obviously, like oh, yeah, of course I know what that is.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I've got that written down as a note that it just felt a bit forced, that whole explanation.
Speaker 1: It was a bit Yeah, it was like, we need to get this in for the plot, A bit convenient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it would have worked better, but not as dramatic, just to have been he googled it. It would have got the same information more realistically, but it wouldn't have been it wouldn't have you worked as well on screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you can't. You've just got to read it. You know.
Speaker 2: Hes a bit boring. But when a person says it, like unless it's you've called up you know, some mastermind person that has these sort of recall things, it just feels a bit weird that she would just know that off the top of her head. Yeah, I'd heard the term, but I couldn't remember what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's so many of those things that have you know, little names.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, unless the fact that her job is something that like she's a journalist or a you know, she works in publishing or something, which they could have just you know, let us know, Yeah, and then it would have made a bit more sense. Let's assume she works in publishing, and yeah, why not it worked past tense?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so the next bit we've got Gabriel.
Speaker 1: Turns up, Yeah to interview him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love how he gets his awards out. Yeah, puts some strategically on the table.
Speaker 2: Dead center, what's wad and then the way Gabrielle just swipes them all to the side. Yea, I do not care about your awards. Yeah, to get into the debate, which I found interesting of stagecraft versus effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I went up to the Edinburgh Fringe this year for the first time and they saw a magician there. He was very Darren Brownie turned out apparently with some relation of Debbie McGee and I think he was Paul mc Paul McGann, Paul Daniels. Daniels, that's the one I'm looking for. Very different person, his nephew, I think. And I don't know if I just caught him on a bad day, but he was all all the short of stagecraft and not really any of the magic. Like it was just a great big story that didn't really lead to anything at the end, and that okay, it felt like it was the worst of both worlds. Interesting that you're having to go through this great long story but you didn't actually get any big payoff from it really because it was sort of like this example where he's got the two tricks. You could see the first easy trick in the convoluted one, right, it was like, well, you've done this, but just talked about it for half an hour. But I can totally see his point of like the effect isn't always the most important thing, it's how you got there and how you sold it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see both sides. Really. It's he's talking about the you know, the street magic and the close up magic, like it's sort of a more modern, fast paced kind of thing, whereas he's very old fashioned and traditional, likes the sort of more Victorian kind of like you know, get up on a stage and be mystical and all that, you.
Speaker 2: Know in your top pattern tails.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I can see both sides. But yeah, he seems like he's very much a purist. And obviously this is all very meta about the episode itself. Yes, and how you know he says about the narrative distracts from the trick, yeah, which there's so many layers and layers of deception going on in this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Although my main thought in that whole scene was how many cards magicians must get through? Like it's always this is a brand new deck of cards. Yeah, they must be buying packs of cards by the truckload. We can only use them for one trick, true keeping bicycle and all those sorts of card manufacturers in business.
Speaker 1: Although isn't the idea that it's not actually brand new, he's pretending it is.
Speaker 2: Well, it was sealed, so I don't know whether I imagine.
Speaker 1: Unless they are a special like magicians kind of deck.
Speaker 2: But well, that's what I was wondering.
Speaker 1: He makes some comment about like a rough and smooth something around there, it's a slip force card that it's been prepared. Yeah, well I think it has, but I don't know whether it's like certain brands will sell trick decks that are pre sealed.
Speaker 2: Then like, yeah, because I used to be a bit into magic when I was younger, and you could buy bicycle of the big or a big maker of cards, and you can buy packs of their cards where it's you know, all double sided or whatever without writing on or you know, they've got rougher sides on one side than the other and all sorts of things so you can do tricks with them. So I assume they will come with you can buy card decks that are in order, but they have the you know, six of clubs at the top or something. Yeah, for that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Then you'd need to I guess it would have to tell you on you'd have to know somewhere which card is or if it's always going to be the same one then yeah, that's just too obvious.
Speaker 2: This is why I loved learning these things when I was little, But it's my memory is terrible. I can never remember all this shit that you need to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a great trick that it was really easy, but it required you to be able to do some really quick maths right, to be like, if you've picked this card, then you add X number to it, swap it to this suit and do this, and the next card will be that, right, and that kind of stuff. And it was like it all worked itself out, but you have to do the math to be able to say and the card will be And I was like, I can't do this quickly enough.
Speaker 1: Let me just get out of my magic calculator. Yeah. We also then have the tarot cards.
Speaker 2: Which creepy as hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is where he's showing how you can do basically the same trick but make it much more theatrical. Yeah, with a creepy story.
Speaker 2: It's always a creepy old person in the forest, isn't there in these stories? Or a witch?
Speaker 1: Apparently? Yes? Do you do you have any experience of tarot cards?
Speaker 2: My friend used to My friend that was very intelligent person used to claim that he fully believed in them, And we had a whole debate for hours or maybe not hours, but about and he just kept demanding that it.
Speaker 1: Was real, right, but real in what sense?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I think his I think the ultimate thing I got to the conclusion was that the card drawing be random and make no sense, But it's how you how you interpret it, what significance you make to it.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I was going to say, because I've done. When I was younger, I had a friend who was into tara reading. And obviously you know objectively that they are going to be coming up randomly. You can't. There's no relationship between how they come up and anything in the world. But I think they could be a useful mental practice just to sort of interpret them, and they're a tool to think about your life and stuff like that. And you know, I've done that before and found it quite interesting.
Speaker 2: I guess it's a bit like the flipping a coin and if you're happy, you're sad with the outcome kind of thing. Yeah, exactly, Yeah, you think about yeah, so youah, no, I think I agree with your friend. Then he didn't explain himself very well at the start, okay, yeah, yeah, but there's a while to get to the conclusion that I think he saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I suppose it's similar to horoscopes as well, and like it doesn't matter when you were born, but if you read in a paper that, oh, you know, be careful before you make any big decisions this week because you were born in July. It doesn't matter when you born, it might be worth your while to be careful for you making any big decisions anyway.
Speaker 2: True, Yeah, in which case they'll read all the horoscopes exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pick the one you like the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They're a really creepy deck though, that they've got in.
Speaker 1: This Yes, everything in German.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then Gabriel wants to show Neville one of his tricks. Now obviously playing around with magic a bit. When I was younger, I worked out how it was done. I don't know if you did before they told you.
Speaker 1: You mean the whole thing with the track a penal all that. Yeah, Okay, I don't remember, to be honest, my first time watching it.
Speaker 2: It was more more so the end bit with the blood and the number and stuff, because that's quite a common one I think of writing in wax and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I think i'd seen someone use one of those track of pens on something that was maybe one of the pen and teala type things. But yeah, I thought you did a good job though with it. Like I know, obviously it's not really what he's there for, but obstensibly at the time, considering he's making out that he's quite new at this, and he is telling us, you know, making a story out of it a bit like he's not just doing the thing, he's sort of doing a bit of showmanship with it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. I think this character, as we find out at the end, like what his true motivation was and everything, he does a very very layered job of you know, pretending to be incompetent enough that Neville's gonna do certain things and behave in certain ways, Like he pictures it so perfectly so that it's you know, good enough but not too good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't scream that he's yeah, he's bad exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does picture at just the right level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the mistakes that he makes in the trick are not actually mistakes at all. They're deliberate, No, in order to manipulate Neville and Neville just his ego. He just falls for it, hook clan and sincer. Yeah, it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: He knows that he's not going to be able to resist doing those things. Yeah, as much as a lot of this episode does rely on sort of things going the way Gabriel wants to too, Yeah, I did think that there is still an element of but he knows him well, presumably research the hell out of this guy. Oh, and he knows you know, how cocky he is, and there's no chance he's not going to do this. He's going to want to go, oh looking, you know, open your pocket and yeah, make a showman point of taking out himself.
Speaker 1: And yes, yeah it is. I mean, I know I mentioned earlier. Reminded me of Sherlock, but it is that similar thing of like the character of Sherlock Holmes couldn't exist in real life because so much of his deductions are just very very lucky guesses that, Yes, you wouldn't be that lucky in real life. No, So this is a similar thing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess we don't see the Sherlock cases where he just got it completely wrong. Your your wedding ring isn't polished because you're taking it on and off all the time, travel affairs. It's just you're like polishing your ring because you're Oh, that sounded wrong, polishing your wedding ring because you're just, you know, really ocd and like to keep things and clean. I guess I don't know exactly. Yeah, there's always so many options, and he always happens to be the right one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, Nevill tears apart the trick.
Speaker 2: I like the flashbacks though, and like you see how it was done.
Speaker 1: That's nice, Yes, And I like it sort of in Neville's imagination because it's the way he thinks it was done, yes, with the wax thumb tip. Yeah, and then he says no, it wasn't a wax thumtip, and then you get the sort of corrected flashback.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And even then it's sort of like a joke because Gabriel winks, oh, I smiles at the camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like that's quite funny there where he stops and he says it wasn't a wax thumb tip, it was just a candle and he just goes close enough.
Speaker 2: It still cats. I get the points. Yeah, and the way he calls it early Darren Brown at best, the thinking he's going to get the save code out of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, that's another example, isn't it of just that perfect He's he's pretending that he's trying to be clever, yeah, but not clever enough. But in actual fact he's being very clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so clever that it doesn't register.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, by deliberately making it obvious obvious enough. Yeah, he's just on another level, very clever.
Speaker 2: How long has he been planning this?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So we kind of find out around this point that, well, it's heavily implied that his granddad was Willie Wando. Yes, and there's some sort of unfinished business.
Speaker 2: Presumably this was a lot meant to be remotely surprising, that you're meant to have worked this out and guess.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah yeah, and then Neville slips up when he says he took his secrets with him to the grave you is dead. Yeah, but he's in that place of like, well, I know you probably suspect me of mergering him, but you can't prove it. So let's just get you out of here now and get out of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And like he says, he you know, he has to deal with people claiming people stole his tricks all the time, which, going by what's happened so far, is probably not far off the truth. He probably does because it's a bit like that thing of you know, every novel is just a reworker Shakespeare or whatever. There's only so many tricks you really can do that, are you know when you boil them down?
Speaker 1: I suppose. Yeah. And I guess that's where the showman ship comes in, isn't it, because you make it different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you sell it as a separate thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Gabriel, I've put in quote Marks tries to open the safe. Yeah, although of course he knows he can't actually do it. He's just trying to freak Neville out.
Speaker 2: Imagine if he had been clever like Neville just hadn't worked it out, and that was the safe code and it did just open, what would you have done?
Speaker 1: At that Well then yeah, then yeah, everyone's a winner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apart from not to murder anyone anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he spent all.
Speaker 2: That money on all the tech and he didn't need it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did enjoy watching this because, you know, I think the first time, I think you buy the fact that Gabriel is just being a little bit incompetent and that Neville is really ahead of him, ahead of him. Yeah, and then it all gets turned on its head later.
Speaker 2: Obviously Nevill's murdered people so far, but he just becomes such a dick at this point. Like even the way he says bedwomb like really takes the piss out.
Speaker 1: Of it, is very unlikable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's pretty much admitted at this point that he has murdered his granddad in all but saying it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you always know whenever someone says, why don't you prove it? You always know that they're basically just admitting it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I did enjoy the bit about how you can't patent magic tricks though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: So David Copperfield, a lot of his tricks got figured out because people worked out how when he patented them, certain bits of them. I guess under fake names and like all sorts of stuff. So you can't because the amount of patents that exist, actually finding it would be impossible, but people have like how he does the flying thing and various tricks he has patented, so you can work it out from that. But yeah, it's it's interesting that you you kind of just have to hope that no one works it out because there's nothing then to stop anyone from doing themselves if you haven't patented it.
Speaker 1: It's a very serious thing, this whole Magic Circle, the Magician's Code and all that isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very seriously. Yeah, you see that you Scott a message from the Magic Circle. Oh no, they sent him a letter afterwards saying how much they enjoyed it. Oh nice, and like thanks for like you know, treating it so properly and like, you know, respectfully. Yeah, respectfully, that's and not taking the mickey out of it. I'm not more certain, not in a mean way anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but that's like you said about it, that he did for magic what Steve did for Crosswords in the other episode, so you know, it's it's something he cares deeply about, so it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Gabriel leaves after having accused him of murder. And I think Nevil's a bit shaken because you know, to have to have this happen, to have this the grandson of this person who murdered come and say I know you did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Plus like you'd expect that in the first few months, but when it's got to nine years later, you've probably thought I've got away with it.
Speaker 1: I think you're safe yea yeah.
Speaker 2: And then someone says this, you know, okay, I'm never going to be safe, Like if this can come up nine years later, it could happen anytime.
Speaker 1: Yes, the lesson is don't murder someone.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's always a good Yeah. It's much easier when you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. Yeah. So yeah. He goes over as the little pads where he very obviously wrote something down earlier in invisible well in wax I guess or was it just an impression on the paper?
Speaker 2: I think it was just an impression through go on to the next year paper, yeah.
Speaker 1: And he founds out that he's written down this word mount weasel, which he doesn't ye know. So he's then on skype to Jenny.
Speaker 2: We have an awkward explanation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and apparently her hotel has been receiving dodgy messages Yeah, supposedly from Neville, Yes, which he has no memory of doing.
Speaker 2: Nope. On a first watch it, it does come across quite creepy, like what's happening here? I guess it's it is lucky for the plot. Another coincidence that she didn't take the calls.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how it would have worked if she'd.
Speaker 1: Answered yeah, that's true, unless.
Speaker 2: Unless he's following her and knows that she's not in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or unless he's just phoning reception and just abusing them, you know, in the name of Neville.
Speaker 2: True, you know true? Yeah, Because he's such a he's such a dick of a character, Neville, that you could just be like, do you know who I am? And like make out very easily that you're pretending to be him.
Speaker 1: Yea. So she knows what a mount weasel is yes, and explains it's a copyright trap.
Speaker 2: M This made me wonder, like, so if they put these things in encyclopedias quite regularly to check if people are stealing stuff, how many people are learning fake facts? Well? Yeah, going out saying that X means why but it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I suppose it must. They must have to make it something so obscure and inconsequential. Yeah, but yeah, it is a good point.
Speaker 2: It's the same with the whole trap street thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Matt.
Speaker 2: If someone ends up wanting to get between two different places and that street doesn't exist and they get.
Speaker 1: Lost, yeah, oh well thanks to me them. So once again he's rattled by this. He thinks, oh my god, does that mean Willi Wando left something in his notebook that could incriminate him? But I don't know what. I mean, what could that be? How can you apply Mount Weazel to a notebook of magic trick ideas? I don't really get that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I guess it doesn't matter. It's just planting the seed that something could have happened.
Speaker 1: There could be something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so he's obviously killed Willie Wando. He's took his book. Has he then just transcribed his book? I thought, so, yeah, and given it back because I'm just a bit confused as to what happened to the book. Oh yeah, and Willie's body I guess presumerly just disappeared. But if his book, if he disappeared and presumably all of his stuff disappeared along with him that he had on him. Why did he bother copying out the book?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't really get that, because he makes a point of as soon as he's killed him, he takes the book and he starts copying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he starts copying over. Yeah.
Speaker 2: After this mount Reel thing, he burns those pages.
Speaker 1: So what happened to the original?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because presumably you wouldn't ever want the risk that if because that would be the worst thing. If so, he's had to dump the body somewhere. He dumped the body along with the notebook. Someone finds it, finds the notebook signs this guy's performing the tricks that apparently only listed in this notebook. That's pretty clear evidence that he's somebody should be talking to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't really understand the point of the notebook being copied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't have an answer for that. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he decides at that point to I guess he's wiping the security footage as well, because Gabriel was there, and if he does have something on him, he doesn't want evidence that he's spoken to him.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I thought it was because the camera was pointing at the safe where he was about to put the code in, and he didn't want the code to be recorded.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought that. I assumed that was the reason why he turned the cameras off but deleting the footage. Oh yeah, I assumed it was because he was there and he didn't want proof that, you know. Yeah, probably that he'd tan't amount to omitted it on video. Yeah, exactly with my guess. Yeah, it makes sense. Yeah, he takes out the pages, burns them, which I'm surprised he hasn't done before really, because it's been nine years. He probably knows all of what's in that notebook inside out and backwards by now, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a dangerous piece of evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it just adds to his whole He's a cocky asshole. He is the character. Maybe there were other tricks in there that he'd not finished, that he'd not worked out the rest of yet. Possibly will he hadn't finished making them and he hadn't finished working out how they worked. Yeah, maybe then he has another go at the chair trick for no real reason whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's the next day yeah, yeah, I don't know why. Maybe it's just because Willie Willy's on his mind. I know the feeling, that's why he doesn't care, that's why he's said yeah, and the police turn up to question him.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Do I Houston indeed, who I thought looked like he'd stepped out of his own ITV drama.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the new Death in Paradise person. Yeah, that programs like the Sugar Babes. I feel we're all going to get a call to be the chief inspector person in at some point. It's like jury duty. Yeah, yeah, so do I Houston asked where he's been, and he categorically says that he's been there the whole time. M M. Someone matching his wife's description has died, and Neville just does not seem to routely.
Speaker 1: Cas hasn't seem bothered.
Speaker 2: He's like, right, okay, and this he's just like, oh, she matches her description, doesn't mean it's her. Maybe he's just the shock of it, isn't registering that it's actually real.
Speaker 1: Maybe possibly it was a very bizarre moment.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to give him some sort of crediting, with some sort of reasoning here but.
Speaker 1: I think, to be honest, I think it just goes towards him being an even more unlikable character. You just think, well, you know, he he doesn't care about anyone but himself, even his own wife.
Speaker 2: I guess I struggled to think though, how you could not care at all?
Speaker 1: It is weird.
Speaker 2: I guess that's just him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's that. And I think it's also the fact that, obviously police turn up and start asking the questions, with all that's been going on, he automatically assumes, oh shit, I'm about to go down for murder. True, that is all that's on his mind. So maybe when they start telling him about his wife, it's more relief that actually it's not that true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah still, and if he.
Speaker 2: Thought about it for a little bit, he probably would be.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and conveniently he can't prove his alibi because he's just deleted all the footage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fuck it.
Speaker 1: And I just I just love this when you realize what's been going on. Yeah, and that he's been completely played. Yeah, he thought he was getting one step ahead of him, but this other guy was like ten steps ahead of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every eventuality was worked out. Ye, Heuston gets him to admit that he's the only person that knows the code. Yeah, there's no possible way anything that's in the safe could have any other explanation than he put it.
Speaker 1: There, which is like a magic trick in itself, isn't it. Yes, you know when the magician says to you about you know you're the only one who knows what's on this piece of paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like magic. Like oh, like a Jonathan Creek type like locked room thing.
Speaker 1: So we get the reveal that Gabriel got the safe combination by the same tracking chip that's in the pen. There's also one in the ring that he, by sleight of hand, he stole and then swapped over. Yeah, this was an example of very convenient stuff. I thought, like the fact that he knew he'd be where, I mean, does he always wear that exact same ring, and that he could get an identical copy.
Speaker 2: I guess so he's probably that arsoly type person that would have talked about, oh I bought this ring for X number one thousand from such and such and made a big deal of what it is. Maybe I guess that's how he would have done that bit, but the fact that it's loose enough that he could palm it. Like if he'd failed to steal it, to pickpocket it properly, the whole thing collapses.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And what if he'd not been wearing it that day.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's just been doing the washing up taking it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's quite convenient as well that he wears it on his right index finger, the very finger that he's going to use.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of it's down to chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The more I mean, I know, it's TV and it's like, yeah, the boring stories don't get made. But like we see the permutation where it doesn't work. But the other thing for me is that's just tracking his finger movement. How is he like narrowed down which part of his hand moving for the next you know, several hours to being the bit where he put the code in.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good point. His finger's moving all over the room, all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always moving. How has he narrowed it down to those little little gestures? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Convenient but a cool reveal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the best bit is that like he'll know Neville knows what's happened, and he knows he's been set up, can't say anything because his own alibi is his own evidence for a different crime exactly.
Speaker 1: That's why it's so genius. Yeah, and so Gabriel's got back at him by obviously doing something just as bad, but he gets the satisfaction of knowing that he's going to go away for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the problem with these sorts of things that whether you have you have some sort of retribution, and it's always some innocent person that has to die. And like poor Jenny, Like what does she do wrong?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Nothing, like at least at least Willie was like, you know, he had a reason for killing him, Like, yeah, she just happened to be collateral damage here. Apparently considered putting Jenny's head in the safe originally but thought it was too like deadline, so decided that or have.
Speaker 1: Done that Okay, yeah the microwave. Yeah, so what do we think?
Speaker 2: I right, there are a lot of coincidences, but then there always are in these sorts of things. I guess I don't know. To me, it didn't quite hit as well because I love magic and I've read up on a lot of stuff, so it didn't. I saw a lot of it coming, I think, right, okay, which is unfortunate, but I still really enjoyed it. I didn't. I thought the characters it was too. It was a little bit more plot heavy than character, and therefore the characters end up feeling a little bit like cogs.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I understand that they.
Speaker 2: Didn't really have as much agency and as much they weren't as well rounded as they are in some other episodes. Believable because there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of money, see of events to sort of to get in, so I suppose they've just been more energy on that than yeah, characters, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I know we always say there's you know, not the line wasted kind of thing, but often there is just jokey bits that build a character up, exactly, Yeah, whereas here everything seemed to be very important for the plot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, onto rating it, yes, please?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hmmm, I think I go with seven.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's quite good. Yeah. I think I felt similarly, and I've written down the six so yeah, I think it's it's enjoyable, very good, very clever, very clever with the twist and everything.
Speaker 2: Yep, and as you said, emblematic of the whole series and that exactly. Yeah, and that was a big question. Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: Well done.
Speaker 1: You can go quite near the beginning. I saw it on the draws, near where Willie puts his phone. Yeah, you can see it behind them when they're talking whom I got one?
Speaker 2: I got one. You might win at the quiz, but I'll win at these. And did you spot our hair at home? We shall let you know where it was next week.
Speaker 1: We'll have to let you know next week. But yes, yeah, fun episode, Yeah, a fun episode.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it's a step up from last week, definitely, or several steps in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very different. We got a really nice review on Apple Podcasts that I just wanted to share. This comes from Zach and it says five this is genuinely one of my favorite podcasts I've listened to and one that I look forward to every week. It's quite hard to find a great podcast about this incredible show, but I'm so happy I found this one. The show is informative, funny, and just a great time all throughout its run time. So excited for what's to come in twenty twenty six. Thank you guys for being amazing and keep up the great work.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks sach lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very sweet. We always do appreciate, we do feedback and just yeah, knowing that people enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that people are listening. To be honest, exactly when someone's listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, we're back next week.
Speaker 2: We will for what we got next week, thinking out loud.
Speaker 1: Indeed, we'll see you then. But for now, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at n degree pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.