Speaker 1: It's with d Y. I'm telling you easy. Boston's all right.
Speaker 2: Last hour we talked about an experience I had yesterday morning. I'm just gonna reset it real quickly. If you guys want to talk about this and give me your point of view on it, that's great. If not, we can move on to a couple of other topics. But got a couple of calls in the line, Angelo and Tim. I will get to them. They've held over through the news. So yesterday I'm heading to the gym around eight thirty yesterday morning. And for those of you who are familiar with the geography of Brighton, come to the I'm coming down Lake Street from Cornmweuth Avenue and packed by Roger's Park of the right big ball field, and this is very little traffic, and so I catch a yellow light. My weight light turns red and as I'm sitting there waiting, I go to the gym this way every time, so I can almost tell you how long to light is. It's about, you know, a forty five second light. And I happen to notice, as I'm sitting there, at about the time the light is likely going to turn, there's a guy coming down Washington Street heading to Oak Square, and he is flying flying, He's going I'm guessing thirty five maybe forty miles an hour. Now he is going down. If you know the topography there, Oak Square is headed down. He's got all sorts of momentum. He looks like an older guy. He almost looks to me like he's wearing like his pajamas in a bathrobe or something. I don't know. He just looked odd, kind of wild here, looked like what sort of what you call like the nutty professional look. And I realize he's not going to stop. This light is going to turn, which it did turned green for me, red for him, and he was still a good I don't know, thirty forty yards from the intersection, never slowed down and just through the light. I thank god that I was aware of him, because if I hit for whatever reason and daydreaming had not looked and caught him coming at that speed, I was thinking to myself, this guy's just going to blow the light. He just blew through the light. I mean, and he was going thirty or thirty five maybe forty miles an hour. He was going faster than I would drive my car in that in that part of brighton, to be honest with you, and needless to say, I had rolled into the intersection, just kind of seeing and then he flew by. I mean he flew by of course, gave him a good shot in the horn, which typical not I like, wake him up, Wake up, man, I mean you, if someone hadn't paid attention, he could have easily, easily he would not have survived an accident. It scared me. So I tell you that story simply to make the point. I'm not trying to go on an anti bike rand here at all. I'm trying to make the point that we got to be careful. You know, nobody wants to have a hood ornament on their car of someone's someone else or their bike.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But you bike riders out there smart enough. You don't own the roads. You don't pay for the roads. Drivers pay for the roads. But protect yourself. Stop and stop, obey the obey the laws in the road. It is only for your own good that I'm trying to recommend this to you. It's as simple as that. If you're offended by it, I'm sorry, wake up, be offended. Keep it in the back of your mind and maybe some of you. One of you will save your life at some point. Okay, sixty six seven ninety, let's go gonna go to Tim. Tim, you are next up on nights. I appreciate the fact that you held through the news, the eleven o'clock news. You're up, Tim, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: What's your thought, Tim, Dan, thanks for taking my call. I think this whole thing's out of control. This bike thing is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I tend to agree with you. I think that we have surrendered the roads to the bicyclist thanks to the politician, simple as that. Uh, but I don't want to see anybody get hurt. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, simple as that.
Speaker 3: Stick as tolls, taxes, gass, they don't pay anything that's right, and they.
Speaker 2: They now own certain portions of the route. So you know, that's the reality that we're dealing with. We have lost that fight. As as automobile drivers, uh, you know, triple A that should have been been standing there for us, and the politicians have bent over backwards for the bike riders. And that's that's fine. I just some of them, just I have no idea. What was There wasn't much going through this guy's mind yesterday morning. If I had not been paying attention, he might not have made it through that intersection. If I, if I was asleep at the wheel, it was going to happen. I mean, we see, we see cars stop on railroad tracks, so people obviously who were driving are not thinking. But this guy, as a bike rider, was not thinking. And you put him with someone who's gonna stop on a railroad tracks and not paying attention to the warning bells and the gates and the lights and the noise. You know, it's it's it's.
Speaker 4: I really feel I really feel bad.
Speaker 3: That he were subjected to this guy.
Speaker 2: You know again, it woke me up a little bit, I'll tell you, because I've seen some guys I've seen For example, you're stopped at a red light, the bike pulls up next to you, and the guy kind of looks both ways. No traffic is coming, so he just scoots through the intersection. At least he looks both ways. Now, if we had done that and there was a police officer there, we get pulled over for riding, for running a red light, and when we see time nothing coming into you the direction of the officer, CoP's gonna say I don't really care. You went through a red light. The guy on the bike goes through the red light, there's nobody to stop him. They have learned that their time is more valuable than our time. They are more important than we are, and therefore you know they have they have all of that.
Speaker 3: That's You're absolutely right. They think they're more important than us.
Speaker 2: That's what it comes down to, tim as always, man, thank you much, appreciate your call.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, thanks.
Speaker 2: Dan, talk soon, palp bye by. Let's keep rolling here. Let me get Angelo from Angelo. You're next nights, go right ahead.
Speaker 5: I don't answer. I hope you can hand me. Nobody bes the laws anymore, Dan. I seen people go to red lights, or either that the red lights and then their daydreaming. They're looking at the phone. You blow the on them because the light is green. They get mad and now look, now, look what's going on the I'll tell you something. I seen a person raving a standwheel with their elbows on the wheel, or even a sandwich.
Speaker 2: Worse than that.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, if they ht somebody, they're gonna kill himself. Lin't. I can't go to red lights like you won't believe don't be abased red lights anymore. Dan, Yeah, unbelievable. What's going on in this well? Was like they have their minds some other place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, And it would have been my fault, even though the guy blew through the red light. It's so you gotta you gotta be careful. I don't. I don't want it in my conscience. I hope no one wants it in their conscience. It's frustrating. It's very frustrating as a driver. Uh. And there's no politician that I know of who has ever taken a stance and said, hey, we got to start. Look at what they've done in West Roxbury. They've destroyed Center Street in West Roxbury. It's that you kind of a parking space over there anymore. And if you do, you're lucky. And they bicyclists have won.
Speaker 5: And it's crazy. And nobody even though I'm gonna blak a line on a walking crosswalk anymore, they blurry by you. The other day, was I put the light on the street, like four or five cars they kept right on board. Stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the common courtesy. My wife and I were with our two and a half year old grandson on Sunday, we went across a street in Newton. We took them to Cabots ice Cream, had an ice cream and we're we're standing there waiting across the street and these cars just kept blowing by. Was like, okay, wait a seconds and uh an older couple with a two and a half year old. Maybe if someone wants to stop and give us a chance. No, so, hey, we're all in a rush. We're all in a rush. So swing down, slow it down. Thanks.
Speaker 5: Rush Where they go again?
Speaker 2: Nowhere? No, they're going nowhere, but they're going nowhere fast. Agelo, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Thanks buddy, that's right, that's I thank you again.
Speaker 1: Once you two.
Speaker 2: Good night. Here's my friend Laurie in Idaho. You don't have to worry about bike riders in Idaho, I'm sure right.
Speaker 4: Oh yes we do.
Speaker 3: Do you really stand tint Point cave to them years ago? They don't even but there's not room for bike lines. But they bikes have the right of way all over downtown standpoint really, so every interception is that the law?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a sign as you gives you get into town. It's a pedestrian and bicycle friendly town. And because first, you know, and my sister said, just don't even just expect one to cross in front of you at every intersection, because they will. And there's no room between the parking and the so it's it is very frustrating, but it's amazing for your story. How you see one little thing it just catches your eye and you think, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: It scared the heck out of me, to be honest with you. I mean, I thought to myself, I was just heading to the gym, so I was fine. I wasn't in any rush. There was no traffic on a Sunday morning early great.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And all of a sudden I saw this guy and I thought, it's this guy. Is this fool gonna stop? Because I don't think he could have stopped.
Speaker 7: No, probably break work.
Speaker 2: But maybe maybe. And he looked like a nutty professor, you know, kind of had that though the hair was wild. I would say he was, you know, in his sixties.
Speaker 3: It wasn't accuse rushing to meet dealer.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, I don't know. Maybe he was head and he was late for Mass on Sunday morning. I don't know, he at the eight thirty.
Speaker 3: But who did you have any reaction to the horn.
Speaker 2: No, because he blew by me so fast it was I blasphemed wow as best I could. But he was you know, he was going if he was going forty miles an hour. Okay, if you if you do sixty miles an hour, you're doing eighty eight feet a second. I learned that in driving school a long time ago. So he's doing forty, he's doing about sixty feet a second. So he was passed me in sixty feet. That's how I calculated his speed.
Speaker 3: So he had I was kind of hope and who had been raised he went by and he would have scared him and he fellows.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: I hit it pretty I timed it pretty well. But I wanted him to like, wake up, right, but yeah, woke up. Yeah. I was interested in getting through the intersection because I didn't want the light to turn green and right.
Speaker 3: I just want real mess on your hands.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, And I didn't want I don't want my car to get scratched.
Speaker 3: Now exactly what a pain in the neck that would have been to deal with.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sorry to hear it that in Sandpoint Idaho.
Speaker 3: Uh, they have taken over and this this road that I'm living on now has been recently repaved, so it is a favorite for all the little recreationalists to get out there. So you can go down my own road to get home. You know, three four in the breast and got two kids in to Nobody moves to the side.
Speaker 7: Of the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again their their day and their exercise. Do you have the spandex people out there or they just dressed as normal human being? Know?
Speaker 3: Some of them are spandexy with lovely little pointy helmets and all that crap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are some normals.
Speaker 2: But what they want you to think like they're they're they're a teammate of Lance Armstrong of some sort.
Speaker 3: They're practicing for Tour de France. I know it's very important.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, or at least the tour by a bois one of the other.
Speaker 6: Right, that sounds much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the tour to Quartel, I like that. Yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 3: I think they do have one of those. Actually, I think we have a short bike grace down the summer now I think about it. I guess I stole that one, but I guess yeah, okay, Well, I'm glad you stopped and didn't didn't hurt your car.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you it would It would honestly, if that ever happened, it would ruin your life. I mean it would be like, oh my god, because you'd be second guessing yourself. And I just happen to see this dude, because if I hadn't seen him would have rolled through the intersection. He either would have been an ornament on my hood or he would have filled himself at the side. I mean he he would have looked like a cartoon one of those cartoon characters that hit the a and just slinked down.
Speaker 1: I'm seriously flat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I wish the guy was listening. And if he was, I wish he had at the courage to call and say, hey, look, I'm sorry. I was out of control, and maybe he had something on his mind that that that didn't didn't permit him. He was on an incline coming down. I'll give him that credit, which is because he was flyn.
Speaker 3: But he was in pajamas in a bathroom.
Speaker 6: Come on, I think he was.
Speaker 2: I think that's what it looked like to me. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It sent you a message earlier.
Speaker 3: He was riding it like he was stolen, because it probably was.
Speaker 8: That could have been too, that could have been to you never know, Laurie. You figured it out, all right, Thanks Laurie, talk soon, okay, have a great right, all right. I got a couple of lines if you'd like six, what, seven, two, ten thirty, want to defend the the bicyclist.
Speaker 2: I don't know, mate, I have no idea what this guy was thinking. I know what he was thinking. He wasn't thinking. It was as simple as that, because if the bet anybody else, you know, I was lucky. I was lucky that I didn't hit him. I was lucky that I saw him coming and that I said to him and there was no way it's going to beat him through the intersection. Even though I had the green light, I just didn't trust it. Back on Nightside, one line at six one, seven ninety. I got some lines at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty. Love to keep it going. If we don't, we'll finish up and we'll go to something else. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w BEZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go. We get Doug in North Carolina. Hey, Doug, we go from Idaho to North Carolina. That's what nightside is all about at this time of night. How were you, Doug?
Speaker 6: Hey Dan? Long time, no speak. I just had to get in on this. I couldn't resist. Once a week I have the displeasure of going for Raleigh over to well, we call it the People's Republic of Chapel Hill, and that is where.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. I'm sorry, Ayead.
Speaker 6: Anyway, so that's where the University of North Carolina says. Franklin Street goes right in front of it, and the lights are timed. They're placed like every two or three blocks. I feel like I'm back in New York, a light every second or third block. Well, of course they are all mistimed. So to go one mile from Chapel Hill into Carboro takes about twenty twenty five minutes because you stop at every light. Well, I finally asked a copper in formally. I said, look, officer, I'm not going to quote you directly, but what is the situation here with these lights changing red every two blocks? He said, over that time? For the bikes, the bikers, I said that what Yeah, that's they're time for the bikers, so they're not inconvenience. It used to be two lanes each way. It's I mean, we're lucky to have one lane. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's funny you call you called the bikers. They're bicyclists. Okay, the bikers and guys and gals that ride Harley's and stuff like that. Don't mix up bikers with bicyclists. See if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but sometimes you don't know the difference.
Speaker 2: Right by the way, I think I understand that you would ask a police officer that question because if I think we've had conversations before, and you are in the field of journalism, correct.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I spent my whole life on the air up and you know, like you were on BUZ. I was Channel four and Channel two in New York and then CBS Radio.
Speaker 2: So so therefore that's your natural instinct to be curious.
Speaker 6: That's exactly just like you. Right, we can't pass the situation without asking a question.
Speaker 2: Well, I have my quote from Einstein here that you've heard me read. I'll read it again. Einstein said, smart guy. He said, I have no special talent. I'm only passionately curious curious. Yep, So that's that's what you and I are. We're not Einstein, don't get me wrong, but we do have that that interest. Doug, thank you, I'm driving.
Speaker 6: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do me a favor. Be more, be more of a participant here at night side. I miss here in your voice.
Speaker 6: Thanks, give you bye bye, right back at you.
Speaker 2: Let me keep you early here, going to go to christ and Brock and Chris, you're next on nights. I go ahead. How you doing, I'm doing great. How are you tonight, Chris? Welcome?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm doing well.
Speaker 7: I'm doing well.
Speaker 9: So last week I had the same kind of issue. Uh, actually driving down the street going through a green light, and it was a cyclist not paying attention, actually on his cell phone, and he actually, as I'm driving, ran right into the side of my car, went right up over my hood and everything, and uh, you know, just not even paying attention.
Speaker 2: How much how much damage? How much damage to the bicyclist? How much damage to your car?
Speaker 9: Well the bicyclist cut up and walked away.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, he knew he was not he knew he was at.
Speaker 9: Fall he tried to walk away. The police, you know, came obviously, and you know they stopped and talked to him and everything.
Speaker 10: And I had several witnesses that you know, stopped to say that it wasn't my fault moddly.
Speaker 4: And you know, there wasn't much he could say to do.
Speaker 9: I mean, he just was not paying attention.
Speaker 3: And it's a constant thing.
Speaker 9: It always happens.
Speaker 10: I see it all the time.
Speaker 5: These guys just they.
Speaker 9: Don't even pay attention.
Speaker 10: They don't care if the lights green, red, purple, yellow, whatever.
Speaker 2: That guy could have bought the farm. The only time that I ever had anything run into the side of my car was on Martha's vineyard maybe twenty years ago, when a deer in in the mating season came out and I basically nailed him. It was like hitting a stone wall, came out of nowhere, nowhere. And but for a bicyclist that that's this guy yesterday, if he if if he had hit my car, he would not have survived. At the speed he was going. This guy was going at least thirty five forty miles an hour on a downhill track.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I tell you, it's scary, you know, it's scared the liver bajeevas out of me.
Speaker 3: I have a I mean, so let me ask you, let me let me anyway.
Speaker 4: I mean, let me ask you.
Speaker 2: Was there damage to your car? Once we know that he survived, was there damage to your car or to his bike?
Speaker 10: I don't know about because he, like I said, he picked up and walked away pretty quick once you heard the police coming.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my car is minimal.
Speaker 10: I mean you can tell where.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it was a knee or a should to hit it.
Speaker 10: There's a in my front corner, pianel.
Speaker 2: So who's gonna who's gonna pay to get that fixed?
Speaker 1: More life?
Speaker 7: That's gonna come out of pocket?
Speaker 10: Because I don't think the guy.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I haven't still haven't got any info.
Speaker 6: From the guy yet.
Speaker 10: I got to get the police report today, which I went there to get that today, but I couldn't get anywhere near it because they're doing roadwork the police department.
Speaker 7: So I'll try again tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Go for it. Thanks. Thanks. I'm glad that that there wasn't more damnage to a car, and I'm glad that the guy survived so that that was not hanging on your you know on your conscience, simple as that. I appreciate it very much, Chris, thank you so much for calling and enjoying the conversation. Thank you, Thank you, Den, talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: Have night.
Speaker 2: All right, going to take quick break. I got some open lines here. Come on, let's finish strong six one seven four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. We're talking about our bike riders. I had this guy yesterday. I mentioned it clearly. He's coming down the road. He's going thirty five to forty miles an hour Washington Street and Brighton. I saw him coming. The light turned green, his light turned red. He never slowed down, never breaked, blew through the intersection. I was aware of him. I started into the intersection. I stopped because I didn't think I could get through the intersection without clip, without him clipping me or me clipping him. And frankly, I didn't want him as a hood ornament. Uh and the and the few few extra seconds. I'm just going to the gym on a Sunday morning. I couldn't have been more relaxed. But on a in a dif different set of circumstances, maybe I wouldn't have noticed people like I'm not perfect. You daydream and you're thinking about something. Why did the Red Sox lose yesterday? And you're not You don't look, you gotta look, you gotta look. Drive defensively, assuming someone out there is trying to hitch your We'll be back on Nightside right after this break. And I got some lines, come on, fill them up. Six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty. And if you're a bike driver rider and you think bowling through an intersection with a red light at thirty five forty miles an hour is okay, make the case. I'll listen to you. I won't agree with you, but i'll listen to you. Coming back on Nightside, you're.
Speaker 1: On Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go, let's keep rolling. Let me go to Jim. Jimy you were next on Nightside. Welcome Jim. How are you tonight? Where would Jim be.
Speaker 11: On Kansas City?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Jim, go ahead, Okay, thanks Dann. Well, look, I'm not gonna argue the side of somebody who blew through a red light, but I just see this an opportunity for education, and I just would like to point out that there's a big difference between a motorcycle and a bicycle. So before we go impuning bicyclists, I think we should make sure that we know whether or not the thing had a motor on it. If it had a motor on it, No.
Speaker 2: It didn't have a mode. It was a bicycle. I saw it pretty clearly. It was a bicycle. Guy was peddling the bicycle. Okay, all right, well I know I'm just telling you it wasn't. It wasn't. It was a bicycle. And as a matter of fact, the guy looked as I said to you he had. He looked to me like he might have been either wearing pajamas and a bathrobe. It was an odd, uh state of dress. To be honest with you, he kind of you look look like a nutty professor type guy. Is what he looked like.
Speaker 11: If you I'm just I know, it sounds to me like he might have been wearing, uh like a spring suit with a with a rain jacket.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but uh, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Tired, Jim. If he was Natalie or Natalie attired as I should say, I would have told you, No, the guy looked like he looked weird, and I just for for a caught him out of the corner of my eye. I said, I don't think this guy is gonna stop. And I've waited a couple more seconds and became obvious, so I did not proceed through the intersection. Thank god.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm sorry. Well I'm sure, I'm sorry. You were shocked, and I can I can see how that would be very shocking, and I, uh, you know, I laud you for being you know, alert operator.
Speaker 2: Look, Jim another, I'm not looking for any sort of law a laudatory comments or or anything. I'm just saying I'm using it as as a cautionary tale. I've driven plenty of times and you're sort of you know, your daydreaming. Okay, we've all done that. Okay, and you say, how did I get this far down one twenty eight or what? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, No, that's I can happen to be alert. I was alert and I saw.
Speaker 11: That, and I thought, you're very you're a very responsible person. And I don't know if you know this or not, and I'm not completely aware of it all the time, but even when you have a green light, you still are required to stop for vehicles that are not yielding. You can't. If you see them coming, you can't just go. You can go, but it's not necessarily their fault because you had the green light. You're still required to yield to vehicles that are out of control.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what the laws are like in Missouri, but I can tell you that if let us say, you do have the green light and you roll into an intersection with the green light and somebody blows through on a red light, you may be obligated if common sense tells you to stop. I'm not looking to lose my lose my car the use of my car for a couple of weeks because but but in terms of the ultimate fault as you describe it, you know, you know, I don't think you could add contributory negligence and say, well, you know, did you see him coming. Most people are going to say no, I didn't see him coming. But even if they said, yeah, but I was stunned when he didn't stop, you know, I mean, well.
Speaker 11: Okay, so lawsrey different in all states, and police officers interpret him differently at the scene of all and so there's no time. But it could it could happen to even somebody behind the wheel of a car. They they maybe are not paying attention, they go through a red light, and yeah, you want to be you want to be watching for that.
Speaker 2: Kind of my attitude is there's always someone out there who is distracted, and I do not want to get into an accident. Period.
Speaker 11: I I really don't like these motorized bicycles because they give regular bicycles a really bad rap. Motorized I'm saying, I'm saying, I know that I'm saying on a different on a different subject. They are They're terrior It's it's terrible because it's a lot of fun. I mean, it's really fun going, you know, twenty thirty miles an hour on a bicycle, no helm, but man, when you hit that pavement, it's it. The fun stops.
Speaker 2: Would it surprise you if I told you that that irrespective of what this guy was wearing for clothes, irrespective he didn't have a helmet on.
Speaker 11: No helmet, Yeah they don't work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So anyway, well, the reason I know that, Sorry, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and I mean, I really.
Speaker 6: Responsible operate.
Speaker 2: What do you say, no harm, no foul, so nobody got hurt. I hope that he didn't crash into someone else later.
Speaker 11: He will, he will, he will, he'll, he will, he'll he will. You know, you're you're rewarded by your own good behavior. He behave, will be upon for his own bad behavior.
Speaker 2: But you know, anyway, I don't want to get theological here. That's okay, Thanks Jim, we'll talk later. Thanks man, good night. Let me go to Matt. Matt, and you were next on NICEA go right ahead, gonna get you in here before the break.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Matt, All right, how are we going then?
Speaker 12: You know, I hope you had a good weekend with your granddaughter and uh cabin had.
Speaker 2: A great weekend. Got got to the gym on Sunday, which is a huge positive. Yeah. Great, lot of fun, a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'll say quickly.
Speaker 12: You know, I'm right outside you know Breton, you know square, And I was one time walking on a crosswalk. It was about twelve o'clock in the morning, and I got hit by a car straight up and the person drove off an appreciation major Wait, yeah, did you get.
Speaker 2: Hit by the front of the car or did the sideswipe? You tell me about it.
Speaker 12: No, no, no, I was walked, came across the crosswalk and he hit me on you know, my rib area or shit and kept driving. Yes, I mean it's right around that area too, from where you were saying.
Speaker 2: Do you know when I when I talk about Washington Street heading into Oak Square and if you've gone by the CBS on your right and you come down the Lake Street and he's coming down an incline, so he's going pretty fast anyway.
Speaker 7: I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 12: Yeah, more like you know, I live five minutes less from there. But I'll say, you know, I don't know. You know your last caller if in Missouri that a yellow white doesn't mean that you keep going and you speed up. Yeah, you don't want to have a hood ornament.
Speaker 7: And I feel bad that.
Speaker 12: You went through that, But you know, diligence is on the obviously the person who needs to pay attention. You're lucky that you were looking in the right way, and you're nothing that anybody would want on their.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're always going to second guess yourself from the under those circumstances. And I just wish that look with as I said a couple of times and I'll say it one more time. All of us have been in Boston, have been at a red light and a bike comes up on your right hand side, uh, and they kind of slow down and they look both ways and there's nothing coming and they proceed through the intersection. I've seen that happen a thousand times.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I did it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get pulled over. They don't get pulled over. And I think with hit that gives them a sense of false confidence, and this guy had some sort of a sense of false confidence. I have no idea why he was. He was just barreling.
Speaker 12: I mean, he was, he was moving, stars were open early, and man, you know, I mean, whatever it is, you know, I you know, it just it's just good that you know, hopefully he you know, hopefully it's something that wouldn't happen again with that person. But when you're that aloof and you know, you were so attentive to it that you even remember what he was wearing, which shows that you really were cognitive and lucky to be looking kind of in that.
Speaker 2: Way, it struck me weird. It struck me weird. He had kind of there was no helmet, so his hair's kind of flying because he's moving fast. He's older. I can tell you that he didn't have a full head of hair, but his hair was kind of flying. And he looked to me. I was thinking, was this guy in pajamas in a robe? I mean, that's what it struck me as. Now, maybe it was different, Maybe it was a long overcoat. I don't know, but it struck me as weird. And when when he threw when he flew through the red light, I said, thank you. I mean, you know, I blasted the horn at him. I mean, just to wake him up. I thought to myself, this guy, this guy is on Dream Street anyway.
Speaker 12: Uh yeah, Well, hopefully he won't do that again, because you know, it's not it's not just not there. It's more not there to the driver because it's you know, it's the mental part of it would be with you, second's.
Speaker 2: Second guessing yourself. He didn't particularly care about the value of his own life, right or or he just he just was on some sort of mission and he was so focused. But I don't see how if you're on a bike you blow through a red light.
Speaker 7: That like, I get that top.
Speaker 2: You know, that term for his hair, don't maybe beg you man, you too, will take a quick break. I got room for a couple more if you want to slide in here. Six one, seven, two, five four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. We'll wrap it up on the other side. Gonna get Eddie and Reddy coming up. And I got Tim and Michigan. Always go hear from Tim and Michigan for from a bunch of states tonight, Idaho, LORII and Idaho. Doug in North Carolina Gym in Kansas City. I think we have anybody earlier. Yeah, we had Richard from Maine in the first hour. Always good to get a little cross section of people around the country. Feel free to join the conversation wherever you were located. I got room for you if you dial right now six one, seven, two, five four to ten thirty one line there, six one, seven, nine three one ten thirty one line there. If you had a similar experience, if you want to, If you want to chastise me and tell me that I shouldn't be criticizing a bicycle, it's fine. I'll listen to you. I won't agree with you, but i'll listen to you. Coming back on night's side, and I am not doing a Clint Eastwood. This is not get off my lawn. This is me telling you verbatim what happened. And thank God that I'm not sitting here tonight saying hit this guy, because that I wouldn't want that on my conscience. And look, it could happen if I wasn't paying attention. I think just as it had happened to the Chris Don and rocked, and he would have slammed into the side of the car and he would have suffered the consequences as would of my car. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, tomorrow night, be talking with a couple of Massachusetts sheriffs, Sheriff McDermott he's down in Plymouth County, and Sheriff Bowler. We are going to talk to them about their decisions to cooperate with ICE. That is an interesting topic. As we watched this whole question of immigration deportation to inspire. We haven't touched it much, but we will touch that tomorrow night. At least that is our intention at this point, as sheriff's both now in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, have decided to change their relationship with immigration and customs in force. Let's finish Strong, going to go to Eddie in reading Eddie, appreciate you. Call you next night side.
Speaker 4: Dan just came back from just came back from the villages in Florida. Who And it's an interesting, interesting place. Okay, tell me why.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you why because I know that we have listeners down in the villages. Were you down there visiting or were you spending the week?
Speaker 4: No, I spent some time there. And the bicycle groups down there, they're riding groups like fifteen to twenty okay, like a pack, a real pack.
Speaker 7: You're right, And now they'll go by you.
Speaker 4: And down there in particularly there's a lot of round the bus so they have to stop. Okay, they just can't go because the dangerous place to drive because everybody's thirty five or rady and that doesn't work.
Speaker 2: So well, okay, ask you how old is the How old is the bicyclists? Are they of retired?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: There, well they were, Well they're well, they're all they're all you know, Lance Armstrong want to be.
Speaker 2: But so there people, I'm sorry to hear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're all dressed, Yeah, they're all dressed. Up, I be going to the prompt. It's like it's like, uh, you know, who's riding with who, who's cutting This particular day, I'm coming out of my street and there's a fellow in front of me, and he's riding along, and all of a sudden they see a group called by fifteen or twenty, and a couple of them are riding side by side. For some reason, I'm not sure if they have a thing where they give a signal and somebody takes off on the back and goes up to the front, you know, some kind some kind of procedure they use one. Anyway, this guy's going.
Speaker 2: It's kind of it's kind of like a Patriots calling a play in a huddle, you know, said they they're gonna, you know, a play action, you know whatever. The half backs out. Yeah, okay, good enough, like a.
Speaker 4: Race of the fruitcake because of what it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: So they come to this round or everything roundabout selling there just to everybody alive. So they stopped a round about. This guy stopped in front of him. Well, all of a sudden, the lead guy in the bicycle group, I can see him kick this guy's car. Okay, So again, you don't want to be a witness of anything today. Listen to somebody coming in your house anyway. The guy gets in his car, he cuts, you know, cuts in front of the bicycle. Listen again, it's ten or fifteen of this. So he gets out and walks around his car and I can see him. Job char The guy kicks his car again. Okay, boy, Well, now the guy who's on foot, he whacks him. He goes over. He's hot, he's out cold on the grass. Jesus. So now you got to everybody else off their bikes and all commer game might have got there. Gang fight.
Speaker 2: Villagers.
Speaker 4: Okay, a gang fight, I says, I said. I'm saying to myself, well, I don't know if I want to see this at all. But they happen to have these guys to go around checking on your house. And he happen to come along, and he's like he's sixty five or seventy. So he gets out, the fires down, the situation down, and of course they're all around the guy. Now who whacked the other guy? And so finally I'm not sure what he said, but they wait. The gun get to go off the ground and he's Woody, he's not right his bike again for a while. They throw the bike in the guy's car and here they all continue on. But now they get you said, they get the motors on the bikes. As I'll tell you what, you hit the pavement going forty miles an hour, you'll know.
Speaker 7: It, you know.
Speaker 6: So they're on.
Speaker 2: So these these folks are on motorized bikes, not just regular bikes.
Speaker 5: Some a.
Speaker 4: The ones who all the um they cheat.
Speaker 2: Oh right, I get it, yeah, right right, Age as his priority, Eddie, I love the story. Huh. I've heard a lot about the villagers. Have never been there, but I know there's a lot of people from New England who were down there. And I'm sorry to hear that that that bikes are causing such a problem in the villages.
Speaker 4: Oh well, hey, people, you know, people get killed down here just they do in.
Speaker 2: Bar them well, driving habits with them, I guess. And I got to get Tim in Michigan in Hey. Thank you for calling. It was very entertaining call. Please call again. Thank you so much, one of the best calls of the night. Thanks, good night, Tim and Michigan. Timm, you're going to wrap the hour for us. Go ahead, Tim YEP.
Speaker 7: One of the things I'll tell you going up front is I'm a hardcore, uh you know, semi retired racing cyclist for like the last sixty years. I have a pretty good idea of what this is all about. What you have is you have people on bicycles who have not a clue that they should be observing the road more than two inches off the front of their front wheel, and everything seems to pop up magically right in front of them, doesn't You didn't even see it? Yeah, you know somebody who somebody who has a little bit of experience that doesn't occur because you're looking well up the road, you're scanning left to right, you're listening with your ears to listen for vehicles that are going to overtake you. That's that's the trademark of an experienced cyclist. Unfortunately, there's a whole bunch of inexperienced cyclists.
Speaker 2: Look. When I was younger, I used to run a lot in Sherborne, which is if you know Massachusetts, it's a nice area and I was always aware of I always ran, I tried to run with the traffic, but I was always cognizant of what was coming up behind me, and you almost can develop a sixth sense if somebody was coming too fast. Uh, And you always had to have an escape plan. You know, where am I going to go to?
Speaker 7: In Michigan, you'd have to run against the traffic.
Speaker 2: And that makes me, that makes and that makes a lot of sense. But uh, they were, they were. There were certain roads where it was easy to run against it, and some roads were easy to run run with.
Speaker 7: You got to use your own chosen discretion.
Speaker 2: You got it, You got it.
Speaker 6: The one thing that has coming up, I think it's how much we got here?
Speaker 2: Rob?
Speaker 6: How much?
Speaker 2: Please? Thirty seconds? Okay. I hate to do this to you, Tim, but I'm flat out. So we'll talk again maybe later in the week. Okay, I'm with you. Thanks Tim, appreciate the call. I'm sorry, ran out of time. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie Rays who passed, who fifteen years ago in February. That's all your pets are who had passed. They loved you, You love them. I do believe you'll see them again. See again on Night's side. Tomorrow night, I'll be on Facebook Night's O with Dan Ray in a couple of minutes. We'll see you there as well. Thank you everybody, have a great Tuesday.