Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the house whisper and the host of home on KFI. It's Dean Sharp. So Dean, we know that water prices have gone up, a lot of our water bills have gone up, but our water usage is way the heck down.
Speaker 2: I know, right, I know I'm a story on this last week, but I just thought this is worth celebrating, This is worth giving everybody in southern California a serious round of applause on because you know, it's a big thing. Do you remember, do you remember when we're gonna find you if you water your lawn on the wrong day and you got to tear out your lawn and we're all gonna die and there's nothing left. And now per person, water usage in southern California has dropped to its lowest in thirty five years. So you know, well done, Southern Californians. Well done.
Speaker 1: Okay, So why is it just because people are more aware? Is it because water prices are higher? Or do we have more efficient.
Speaker 2: I think essentially, well, I mean the water district gives is patting themselves on the back for finally getting on the ball and reclaiming more rain water, Like, what's happening today reclaiming more of that water. But the largest bulk of it, in my opinion, comes from a couple of simple things. Finally, people have just taken the advice switched over their mass air based sprinkler systems to drip irrigation. And there a lot of people, a lot a lot of people have installed these bridge valves and recirculation pumps in their home. What's that, Well, this is the simple thing. You and I have talked about it before. It's the idea that this one little device placed at the furthest sink away from your water heater allows hot water to be drawn through the house further without wasting it, so that when you turn on that faucet or you turn on that shower in the morning, you're not waiting three minutes to get in for the hot water to show up. And it's a small thing experientially that we've talked about for years now, but so many homeowners have done this because the fact of the matter is waiting that two or three minutes for the hot water to show up, that's two or three minutes of water going down the drain and that is singlely responsible for hundreds of billions of gallons of water being wasted in southern California, and that simply is not happening the same way anymore. Combined that with people irrigating their property differently, and we're in a good place.
Speaker 1: I like that. I think it's because the low flow toilets.
Speaker 2: Low flow toilets now flow toilets have been around for a long time, but yeah, incrementally, brick by brick, we have just stepped away from heavy water usage. And now again, you know, I think everybody deserves a round of applause. Okay, which does not is not to say, is not to say there it is. It's not to say we should all just turn all the taps on and walk away. It's just I think it's become our lifestyle now and it's not a it's no big deal anymore. And and that's great. That's where we were hoping to get to.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't, we have almost no time, but I wanted to just touch base really quick. We got that report from NASA and JPL this week that the Palace Verde is shifting and during a month last fall it was like four inches a week. You're saying that it's up to twelve inches per week in some areas. Do those guys have any hope of saving their homes or are they just is it inevitable that they're eventually they're all just going to crumble.
Speaker 2: No, they don't, and they really don't. This this, actually, the Portuguese End landslide, has actually been happening since late nineteen fifties. It has been shifting and moving, and now recent there are last couple of heavy rains through the last couple of bad winters has set it off. It is a deep slip zone. It is happening way way down below them. Part of the reason it's moving is because of the homes and the weight and the road systems that have been built on top of it. And it is a massive, massive amount of soil that is now shifting. There's no reinforcing it, there's no retaining walls that are going to stop it. And now it's moving, as you said, you know, up to certain areas twelve inches a week. That is simply not going to be stopped. So those hundreds of homes that have already been affected, I'm afraid that they are just going to have to find a way of walking away from those very very likely the majority of that area is going to be allocated as open space on the peninsula.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Dean, what are you gonna be talking about on the show this weekend?
Speaker 2: Well, we've got a very special show on Sunday whose topic I am not revealing yet, But Saturday morning, tomorrow morning, we're taking calls and we're discussing more of these design oddities from around southern California.
Speaker 1: Oh that sounds fun. Okay, six to eight tomorrow morning right here on KFI, and then nine to noon with a secret guest on Sunday. It's the house Whisper and the host of Home on KFI, Dean Sharp. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks Sam.