Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode forty three.
Speaker 2: As always, I have lots of stuff to show you. I'll try to keep it to fifteen minutes so that we can move forward. But some of this is really interesting and relevant to what we were doing with the class. The first thing I want to show you, let's see. Actually, this is not what I meant to show you, but it just it popped up. So I'll show you that. But someone this has been going around. Now you can get your I don't know if it's a caustrous thing or just people are too lazy to make saltwater. But that's that's that complicated. He takes some winder and put a little sult in. But we saw last week about the masks. But this isn't what I wanted to show you, so let me get rid of that. Where's the pager? I have so many pages I want to show you here, I don't know where to begin. Okay, uh, you know I'm gonna begin with this one with Rabbi if you remember Rabbi Amslam. For some reason, he's running in for the election Cannesse it he's not any seats whatsoever. You see. I put this up on YouTube a few minutes ago. But he's I don't know why he's running. He's not gonna win any vote for him as a complete ways, that's him in the middle. But whatever he's uh, everyone has the right to run. So the second person on the list is a woman now for some reason. So he got the one of the bastins in Jerusalem, Rabbi Abergel, who we've also discussed to endorse the party, which it's like a Sphardic moderate type of party, which must mean there a Barberzelle is not doesn't hold an official government office, must be retired or else you can't endorse. But listen to what he says for those who know Hebrew, and I'll translate it for those who don't.
Speaker 3: Madame i am Ashima that she is gon back in the said is money good.
Speaker 2: So this is reb Abraz, author of ten volumes of chew Vote, in which he declares there's no issue for a woman uh to be in the Kinnesset or to be a prime minister. That the whole issue of Serrara is like permanent sort of appointments, not temporary thing. So that's Uh that that's I think uh of interest uh significant. Let me get rid of this. Uh. We spoke about the uh the dinner, the dinner that Rabbi Zevatowsky and also uh Rabbi Sliffkin had. So now with those of you in Israel, if you want to get your locusts uh for Pesach, you can pick them up the kosher locusts. Uh. I looked in the Gurak's book. I have it here Judaism's encounter with American sports, and I see I missed. Remember, first of all, his man of the Maychiater is not in the preface. It's on page eighty two to eighty three. But I was wrong in a different reason as well. He tells the story of the may Chater in already back in Eastern Europe, I guess in Poland that he was once walking with Mayor Berlin and they found some youngsters from a gymnasium school in Brisk Actually it was in Brisk, Lithuania. And it was then that the Machuature remarked, why didn't we have this when we were youngsters. I don't think that's true. I don't think that's the story. It's not in Brisk The story as I've always heard it. It was at Yeshivas or Ritziljana. I don't think that they'd be playing basketball or anything in brisk or whatever they were playing, I don't whatever. I just don't think that's the story. I think Gurak has it confused. And I mean Gore's not from a person from Yeshiva. He's been teaching in many years. But Rakkefed who grew up in Yu and he repeats the story the way I said it. It's a legend that I mean, a well known story. Sorry at Yeshiva, serbitzel Khanan. I want to show you some pictures here. I mentioned the Khabad in Delhi. So you're sitting down, which is good because I want to show you a couple of things here. Oh, before I get to that, I want to show you this is well lo and behold. We've been speaking so much about Rabbi Mazous. We only have like two more letters from him. But he wrote a poem about the rumbum and wone behold Hanukah two years ago, who wrote a song to the poem. I'll play you a minute of it, and if you believe him, he says that he just he created this. He hadn't yet seen the poem. He did this song for the first time reading it. I don't know if I can believe that. I don't know anyone, even a person as talented as this can just hold something in the hand and start singing. But that's what he claims. You'll see this person in a minute. I don't know if the s Fardim in the audience know what haloma means. Bo and behold look who sang the song from rabby Marzus's poem about the Rambam I.
Speaker 1: Know a kiss with his boys? Who young a Smaier.
Speaker 2: This is lipomt Schmeltzer. For those who don't.
Speaker 4: Know, uh.
Speaker 5: Knows you can.
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 6: Should I start some say.
Speaker 4: Pammy, Okay?
Speaker 6: Do you know it's puta I ship by yeah, Hay, yeah, hayrosay I should by yeah, had foot, Pahndam dog dog Habrol ship by yeah, Harol, Reality ship by the Hazel.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's liebu Schmeltzer. Very good. Now I mentioned the last class going to India. I want to show you some things because it's really it really speaks to the theology I spoke about. We're going to be seeing the lebabach Rebby's letters in a few minutes. But I want to show I said last week that the people in India are are really crazy. So let me show you some thing this year. First of all, these are if you come to well, here's Dharmshalla, by the way, if you should recognize what this is. This is Darmshala. It's where the dialama is. That's the same that that's seven seventy. I'll show you what seven seventy looks like. They make it exactly the same. Here's seven seventy. But this isn't really what is of concern. What's concern is the following. Look at at this well, first, as you can't miss the rabbad house because as you're walking down the street in India in a bad neighborhood by the way, I should say, a very run down neighborhood, you have it tells you where the bab Kabad is. And then if you go into it, uh you find yeah, right, I'll show you what it looks like right inside. This is in Deli. So of course you see here right behind the iron Kodesh, you had a name Mariamed. But then you have as follows, now, this is the thing we need to explain a bit about inside every one of the sari. There you have this writing, well it says you had a name Rebi Milbavich melm Kai kayam lelo Hinoi de Ganisa. So what does this mean that the rebbe is alive without without any she noi of Guinisa. Well, you can easily look online for instance, if you're interested, I'll show you one place and you can see this all explained for example in this article here. What does it mean in they explain that Nasiha, there's no he still is around without any change, Nasiador, He doesn't go to another place Ella narva ed but Oto makomaam but oh Amhagashami. The Rebbi is still with us in the physical world. And if you go down in the article with this this idea of Sheoi de Gania, because they speak about the aron the Gamara talks about. There's a dispute over what happened to the iron after the first base. I may just some say it was brought to Bobbo. Others say it was nignas it was like hidden. But it's still had significance even if it was. And what they're saying, is that the Rebby. It's not that he's not hidden even I'll read you here. So they say he talks about how before the Rebby's passing, or they wouldn't say that everyone knew where the rebbe was.
Speaker 4: But uh.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then he goes on. They say that this place will remain the Rebby's place. Loshinoi nami. So the way I understand it is that they're saying that the Rebbe, we can't see him, but he still exists in his physical body. This is the equivalent of the Shia conception of occultation. That is, the final the last of the imams. They believe never died, but he was removed bodily. We just can't see it. Does that mean that I think I think that means that there's no grave, in that there's no one in the grave. Although unless they have this conception that the Rebbe's physicality continues and the body is no longer, the body has nothing to do with the physicality. I really don't know about the theology. I didn't want to ask, you know. There I was their guests and it was very strange weekend. I was there with a guy from England, and we're sitting around the shops table, and he said something to me like, God, do you feel like we're the only normal people here. You're sitting with all these Israelis and you're hearing this stuff that anywhere else you'd think that this is crazy far out and here you're the minority. It's like, Uh, you're looking around, You're wondering if you're the crazy people because that's the stuff you're hearing. And yet the people were so nice. But to say that that the Rebbe is still in the world, no changes except we can't see it, but he remains where he was in a physical way. Person wrote to me today. I asked him about this. Yes, there are a few people who make the claim that they believe in the square circle paradox of the Rebbe's continued physical life, which can't be seen, touched, or otherwise perceived in the human senses. However, it remains a nonsensical statement that can't actually mean anything, so any attempt to analyze it will be ludicrous by definition. This is from a krabadnik, but that's in all the Sarim, and they have a thing on their website you can send in an email and you can do. So there's a machine, the thing they have online, and it automatically will open the pages of the books of ste letters and he's and he's giving you the answer that way. So just strange, strange stuff going on over in India. There's so I mean, wait two more minutes. I want to tell you two more things. Remember we spoke last week, but or mainstreamzar and I said that if he's summoned by Putin, there's no question he would have to go get in the car on shabists or jump tiff. And I don't think there's any post taking in the world who would disagree. We do things. We have doctors violate molachedl ris on shabists because we're afraid what it might lead to with non Jews, and so all the more so a case like this, there's no doubt. And every Rabbi I've spoken says doesn't have any question whatsoever. Dove dove s who listens to the classes, said that, well, isn't that what happened with Mendelssohn. He reminded me, if you Mendelssohn, you can read all about it in Alexander Oltman's book on Mendelssohn on page two seventy five and two seventy six. He was summoned on shaminiat Saras by Emperor Frederick the second of Prussia to come in his carriage, which is the same thing. It's an issad or abundan. And what happened was that they called together a meeting. This anan Jho wrote about this meeting. We have experts, the chief rabbi. Because Mendelson didn't know what to do. It's jongtove. He can't go in a carriage, but he's summoned by the emperor. And what this group of experts, convened by the chief rabbi decided that, of course in this case he should go in the carriage, but in order that because people might be ignorant, they might get their wrong impression. When he comes to the gate of Berlin, I guess where there's a lot of people, then he should get off and walk and walk through before entering where the palace is. So the same exact thing happened with Mendelssohn, and he went to the rabbis. Because Mendelsohn was a showmachabas, he wasn't sure what he's supposed to do. Okay, the last thing I want to do is as follows, and then we'll move on. I want to play you something from two weeks ago and show you why I think there's a mistake in what Dolphin said. Listen to this, and this comes from a student. I was gonna say a talmud, and thanks to call, I'll say a student of uh Rabbi Ruderman and he says this follows. Once while arranging This comes from by Janowski of Miami. Once while arranging his library. Rabbi Rudermann related that Rabbi Hutner asked him what he thought of his approach, referring to him demanding respect kavoratara and practicing an elitist form of God losdom the when you stress the greatness of Man, Rabbi Rudeman replied, he quotes the Yiddish Dufoyl siglernin Gemura Russian tosvos hostu gemah, and I am Derek, you are lazy, too lazy to study the talma with the commentators. So you made a new approach. That's the and we spoke about that. Now, are you elab Brabari laiboll I guess he didn't see that I was reading from Dolphin, Chim Dolphin, who he spoke about, who's published all these books. I have to say I read another one over Shabis. Unfortunately, with all the good information, he needs an editor because it's hard. You can't even go two pages without a grammatical problem, a spelling mistake. It's it's it's unfortunate. But uh Rabai e Laibe said that he thought that I was the one saying that what he's speaking about is covenatoa the new Derrek. But it's I was just reading for Dolphin. But Rabari lab says something which is correct. I think thinking that I was going who made the mistake? I am sure what Rabbi Janowski said is he told him Dolphin the story and that Rabbi Hutner asked Rabbi Ruderman, what do you think of my new Derek roer you? Rabbi Rudeman reply somewhat giving, you know, giving him a bit of a jab that that's because you don't want to arm Gamara and tos Hos.
Speaker 7: You do this.
Speaker 2: It's not about Coverata. What he was asking about was this Dolphin's wrong Dolphin makes it seem as if I'm certain of this that that's what Janowski said. Now that I'll read it again, Janowski just said the new Derek, it's dolphin understanding this to mean this Derek of Colorata where the people have to walk out backwards and don't give you respect and all that stuff. As rebay Alb said, Rav Futner was the only one of the Gadoli from LTA who insisted on this respect. But that's not what it's referring to. It's obvious he's for Raffutner we know was into mashava and philosophy. That's what he was asking about. So he asked her, by Rudermann, what do you think about my approach? Rav Rudermann said that your approach where you focus on Maharral, etcetera, that's only because you don't want to, you know, put the time into learning gamarrow. That's clearly what it means. So thank you RIVARDI. Late, by the way, I had conversation with a number of you over this, and one of you asked me what about the damorrow? Says in Krasal if you run away from cold, colde comes after you and things like that. The truth is there is no such statement in Krazal and believe it or not. In Revs. Schmol Ashkenazi's new book he wrote, Schmuel Volume one, page one ninety two, he shows that the earliest citation of this is like from a five hundred years ago. There's similar passages like someone in sidiment says I ran away from covoed barachtim in a vote and Covot came after me, But it doesn't actually say there's no such a benic expression if you run away from co vote. And as for coverde, let me shure you this. This is great. If you look in Rebi Rijak of Weinberg, and this is the last thing we do in the collected Drushim of Rabbi Weinberg, they do shebal Stree Dish, volume three, page twenty eight. It says, this follows, this shows the honesty of rebby Weinberg, and he's quoted by his student, and I thank his student for quoting it. The problem with all these godolim is we have to thank Nelson Kamenetsky is most of the people knew them well are afraid to say what they really said about things. They cover up. They do other things. That's why I like the book masaras Moshe, at least the first two volumes. And this is what Rebbi Weinberg said. He says, once Rebye Weinberg said to me Kuwanda bineodum, we're all people gom oni ohef co vote. Rebbie Weinberg says, he's one of the good OLiS show. I also like co vote Ela Shann Delaharav, but I try not to chase after it. But if they're gonna give me covode, I'll take it. But I don't try to chase after it. That's uh. Who can say they don't like a little covode. So Reby Weinberg is being honest and saying that, and then he says uh. Then he follows with a good story. He says that once this important rabbi came to Montreal, Switzerland, and he was staying in the Jewish pension. Everybody Weinberg said to me, let's let's go visit this rabbi. So I said back to him, this ster By Weinberg, why should you go visit him. He's visiting Montreal, he should come visit you. That's suitable, everybody Weinberg saysso, Deck, you are correct. Are But if I go visit him, then I decide when it's time to leave. If he comes to me, I can't exactly kick him out. And the same story is found. Sol Ednmann used to always go visit Rabbi Zeven. He wouldn't have to visit him because he said, he comes to visit me, and uh, you never know what you can get rid of him. We'll keep talking and talking, so uh, enough for the stories, let us continue. If you recall, we're on Simon one fifty one. We're dealing with uh, you know one fifty we're dealing with. I gave you the introduction last week. How the how I got to have youiros with the rebbe? How Rabbi Herson who's the uh the the head? Yeah, he's head of Remel College, head of the shurim in in New Jersey. By the way, this word schluchim, Well, why shurim? What is that?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, the people don't know this, uh. And it's not in modern Hebrew. I'm certain David can correct in me eyes. And if I'm wrong, it's not modern Hebrew, but in a Rabbinic Hebrew, the plural of the word Shaliach is Shlukim. It's not sim it's luim comoso, even not in the plural, but with the suffix uh the rambam uh in the mission to ishkos Uh, what was it shuhim shutin I've forgotten now uh, yes, shurin. So it's not uh schlikhriin de Gamaris that I found in the mission and mission of Russia Shana schuchin yo sin. So that is the poral of Shariah. Why that's the pooral look in Benya Huda. He doesn't really have a good explanation, but that is the that is it. So that's why the Kabbad when you refer to them as schluchim, it's not. There's a certain rabbi on who also does things online, and sometimes he speaks bahabadis he refers to a shahlua. He's a shlua because the worl is it's not true, though when RaBaD don't say that, they say sh but poro is shuchim. And David Eisenezi says that a modern Hebrew it's shrichrim not but that's not rabbinic Hebrew. So I gave, we gave the whole story about the Rebbe. Now, when he went to the rebby, my father's an historian. So the Rebby said to him, well, send me some of your writings. And the Rebbe was always interested. He always wanted everyone's writings put it in his library.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the Rebbi had correspondence, of course, he a toror correspondence, but he also had a correspondence with all sorts of people. Here here's a book that came out two years ago. Dear Rebbi Rabinachamandel Schniersen corresponds with a singer, a writer, a sculptor, and a Holocaust survivor who This is just collection of his correspondence with Jacques Ripschitz, who's a sculptor. Of course, sculptors are a problem holockily John Pierce, the singer, David Chase, the wealthy Holocaust survivor who funded many combat programs, including the Renal College, and him Grada, and he corresponded with many many others like that. I don't know where the Rebbe had the time found the time. It's I mean, he'd sometimes have these ichridos going into four am or even later. He I don't know when he found time to learn to prepare. He's meeting people constantly, he's responding, but he must have only needed two three hours sleep. So he writes, and after my father sent him the materials, he writes back, you know, acknowledging you know you sent me, and after the visit with your sons and connection with Melech's barmits. So that's myself, and he does. It's a long letter here. It's nothing groundbreaking anything. It's the sort of stuff you've heard again and again. But let me just call attention to a few a few things. He points o. Well, first of all, this isn't just a form letter. In fact, I have the original and it has the Rebby's handwritten, you know, after I was typed up he wrote. He read it over and he put in some words there that we're missing. And he writes, for example, to my father, anyone, especially historian, reflecting on the long history of our Jewish people. So this isn't just state. This is an actual letter written to my father, not one of these letters that they just form letters. And he speaks about the things that we all know that although the Jews have suffered so much, nevertheless we remain and the other people are gone and he says, he talks about how the usual factors which are important for now identity and preservation in so far as other nations are concerned, notably territory, statehood, language, dress, he says, is not essential to the Jews. We didn't have this. We didn't have a territory, we didn't have state who, we didn't have one language, we didn't have one dress. So what kept us the people? The Tora this is something we all know, but it's very nice to see it as the Rebee putting it together. And he talks about how the tourist studyed in different languages. It goes on and on and on. But then he says at the end, and this I think is interesting. I'd never heard this before, he says, as a matter of fact, which I have had occasion to point out before, our contemporary generation is more privileged than the early generations who received the terror from motion of being with his successors. Why does he say that because they had to rely on faith to be connected. But for us, he says, we don't need to rely on faith. It's factual. Look at the history thousands of years of Jews, all these which it was supposed to last forever, they're all gone. We're all here. The Rebby says, that's not that's not a matter of faith. We actually have something the earlier generations didn't have. We have as close as you can get to proof that you know, we are being watched over and that we have a purpose and we're not just some nation, and we have something that the earlier generations didn't have. Usually we think that we're much less than the early generations, but we have something they didn't have, something we can actually look at and see if you want to prove, I always say, if you want to prove, I don't like proofs, you know, to prove Judaism or anything like that. But the closest thing you have to the proof is that his history of the Jews and what we've gone through and how we're still here and it's not normal. So and that's what the Rebby says. So our survival is a nation as members of this holy nation, you know this is a matter of self evident truth, he says, reinforced by the facts and experience of our Jewish history. So, I mean, the Rebby says, he's pointed this out before, but I think this is significant. I think it's significant that Rebbe points it out in speaking to a story, and it shows you that someone who just met for a few minutes, but in writing a letter he's cognizant of he could have written just a short little letter thank you. He goes into pages expounding on this, and he had to think about this when he wrote it. Uh that that's the greatness of the Rebbee. And unfortunately many people don't see this, and uh, they're always looking for negatives. And but the Rebbe, what can you say about the Rebbe? He created a revolution in Judaism. So every time you have a revolution, you have certain dark spots and unfortunate things. But uh, you know what he what he accomplished in terms of the Jewish world, no one, no one came close and to the Rebbi's credit. And the Litfish don't like this, but it's the truth. The Litfish who are so opposed to keyre Of and all these things show Markabach had to leave lake Wood because of that. Now, of course they're leaders in it. It's all because of the success of Krabad. Rabbad not gotten into it. They never would have and they do the exact same thing that Habad did. How do they they're at all these colleges now the litfish charadeem and what do they do? They asked people, are you Jewish? And they're the same thing that you know. Come we're having a sayor we're having this set. They do the same thing that Kabad did and Hbad, I guess had to break the ice on it. But this is the vision of the Rebbe. And there's a lot that can be said about the Rebbe. And and just because you have some crazy Shuhim in certain places, that doesn't take away from all the great things that the Shuim do and the and what the Rebby did so and the Rebbie is a thinker. And Elliott Wolfson cannot Elliot Wolfson, who's so so area died, has written so much. You wouldn't have written a whole book on the Rebby's cabalistic ideas if the Rebbe wasn't a great thinker. And the fact that it's hard to understand one page of that book because all the jargon it's written in, and derry du and all this postmodern stuff, that doesn't take away from the fact that the Rebbie is not just a doer, he's also a thinker, and most thinkers are not doers, and most doers are not thinkers. So the Rebbe is special. Now we're up to number one fifty one and we have two letters here from a rehearsal chapter from Yu. I have to let me say a few things about Reschechter, because Rechechter creates different feelings among different people. I understand if people who are on the left open orthodox they're not very happy with him because of his opposition to really a feminist issue. I think mostly so that I understand, but I also think that we're dealing with someone who is an authentic not just an authentic godd olg an unbelievable totrast scholar. And no one's going to be happy with one hundred percent of what someone says, as it's never happened that way, but always people like to look at the glass half empty, even if you think you said something. You know, these people sometimes they speak or something like him is speaking every single night, literally giving me share him every night, and in all different places. I don't know when he finds the time to learn every night. He's in a different now he's on zoom, but in a different town, and all that's all. Occasionally you'll say something which maybe doesn't come out so good, but uh, I think people, and I say this only to the people who are knowing from the distance, I can say that if you speak to him personally, he's kind and he's at zadig as we'll see. But believing that a part, we should be very thankful that we have such an more enormous post sake and figure. When I say a leader, if Lukensin had never gone to Israel, he would be the leader. It says something about American Orthodoxy that a leader is a post sake. That's very much more on the Haaradi model. I mean, Reschachtor's great, great posts ache. But you're not gonna ask him to speak about humanistic concerns of the day. And you know how Judy is response to it. Know who he is. He's a post sake and an outstanding maybe the greatest in America that we have. And that's the sign of how American Orthodoxy has gone in a certain direction. Had rebellence remained in America, he will be a very different leader. But just remember this, look at all the things we have with Reschelter. He stands with agunas not does he stand with agunas he's the one behind this. When they're protests in front of people's houses, and there's been a few in recent days, he actually marches with the people. He speaks about the importance of honesty in dealing with the government, and that should be taken for granted. He won't even let some under a witness or at a wedding or doesn't believe should give him a leaf. He's known to, let's say, be cheating on his taxes or things like that. The issues is sexual beause I can go down the list, is religious Zionism, so I mean the community should feel very fortunate. It doesn't mean they have to agree with every aspect. He says. He might be more conservative in certain areas, but uh, here is someone and even the liberal KREATI look to him. That's someone who wants so many of the issues, and he's not afraid. He doesn't look over his shoulder, doesn't care what the you know, the right wingers say.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He tells the truth like he sees it. And it's very unusual to have someone like that. So I and if you haven't heard a share him, I'm a big fan in many many ways, and I'll say, I think when you hear see the next letter to me, you'll be very impressed as well. Look, I've I've disagreed. Also, I've written about some things online and I've told him that I've told him that I disagreed, and he doesn't care. So but uh, And when I say I disagree, obviously I'm not in augh to disagree. But some of his other ashuffle things, I don't feel balanced to that. Uh, and all the kind so leaving that, you know, it's almost embarrassing. I need to say that I think he's one of the Godolia sarle. But I know because in the in the Jewish Week and the Western and the Jewish press, sometimes they like to go after him as someone who represents a view they don't like. And I can tell you private things. Maybe I shouldn't tell you that. You'd be shocked at the liberality. One thing I can say, because it's public, telling Orthodox rabbi they should go to reform synagogues and speak to the communities there thereof never would agree with that, at least I don't think reshucht. I think is very important because if you don't go to give them torah they're never going to get it, to go to removed, to do all these things view a view, and I know personally from some things he said, I don't know if I have to say it, but quite liberal may be quite surprising. So he really is a great leader, great post sake. If we had a reval scene, that would also be good. Someone who could speak about the broader humanistic concerns. But that's that's very important. I think to set from the beginning now. One of the things I do in Scranton I work there. Of course, since i've been there now since nineteen ninety six, I'm quite interested in Jewish history in Scranton. I'll get to Rabbi Coma what you say later in Jewish history and Scranton and Scranton has had a long Jewish history. Everywhere I go, I meet people from Scranton, or they say they're not themselves, but they say their parents, their grandparents from Scranton. Not that much left in Scranton, but a lot has come out of Scranton. It's a nice Jewish history. There were three great people who lived in Scranton. Oh, before you even get to that Life magazine in the nineteen fifties, they did a thing you can buy. You can still buy it online. I'll show you now. They did a thing about religion in America, and lo and behold, they chose to focus on a Scranton family. This is Missus Fink. Incidentally, the Fink family, They were my landlords when I lived in Scranton. She had passed away, but her husband was still alive, who ended up marrying the widow of Rabbi Louis Bernstein. So Lo and behold, it said Scranton mother blesses shaba sites. So when they did a thing on Judaism in America, they focused on Scranton. Why they focused on Scranton, and of all the places, you can read the book Vic Geller's book, his memoir. He was the reason why Life magazine went to Scranton a number of years ago at the university. We did a thing about the Jews of Scranton, and we'll be hodo. We put on the cover. So I had a little article in here about three great people who were in Scranton. And there was a rabbi in Scranton who's a signer of the Israel Declaration of Independence. I'll give a minute, not even a minute ten seconds, anyone type that in who knows who was the signer of israel Declaration of Independence, who lived in Scranton is Rabbian Scranton. Of course he did many more things after he left Scranton. Let me show you. I'm going to show you his picture. Ah Barr has it, very good, Barr. So here here is Zev Gold Wolf Gold, who also is a founder of Taravdas. And he was a rabbi in Willisburg, one of the founders of Taravdas. Here, incidentally, you can see him. Let me show you him at the march on Washington. He was the famous rabbis march. You see he's speaking. I'll play him for a second. Over his to the right of him is Rabbi Eliezer Silver. He's not wearing his top hat, but that's Rabbi Silver. And they gave Rabbi Silver spoke a little also, but the major talk was Rabbi Zev Gold. Remember this for those who don't know, this is a march of many, many Orthodox rabbis, I forget the exact number. To try to raise the conscience in Washington. They couldn't speak to Fdr. The Vice President came out to speak to them, and it was trying to show that they're concerned with what's going on in Europe and we have to do something to help the Jews in Europe. Here here is Rabbi's gold.
Speaker 7: To the Lord. Blessed be he, that our most gracious President Franklin Denan of oswell consider and recognize this momentous hour of history and the responsibility which did divine presence has laid upon him, that he may save the remnant of the people of the book, the people of Israel. And we pray the Lord.
Speaker 2: Okay. This was nineteen forty three. Incidentally, that March, So that was v. Gold's that's number one. Number two. There was a great another great builder of Jewish institutions in Scranton, and I don't remember if I had a Oh, yes, here it is. I'll show you the picture. And it's related to Zev Gold. Maybe this even had something to do with the founding the issue there of It does like a five on Mendoluits we've spoken about in previous classes. Really one of the founders of the day school movement. He was rabbi in Scranton. It says, teaching in a local TALMATOA and the last one. Let's see how many recognize this picture. He taught at the Hebrew school also there. This is a Hebrew school. They met five days a week. They read, let's say, Hebrew literature. That is none other than Harry Wolfson, the greatest scholar of Jewish philosophy in America in the twentieth century. He's an old Yeshiva bacher who then you know, left that and moving to the academic ross. I wrote a little piece on each one of them. However, I'm reading the old issues of a Pardase one day and won behold. I see an article in their short article Torah article by a rabbi. Elie Mehlerschachter is his name, and he's a rabbi in Scranton, Sylvania. Well, I knew that Refersial Schachter's father is Elie Melach. In fact, they call him Melech Schachter, just like they call me Melch Schmelach. Even though my Hebrew name is not mel El Melch, it's just Meloch, but mel Schuchter's. Everyone knows him as Melch Schuchter, even though his name was actually Elie Melach Eli Melch Schuchter. What I know about. I knew that he was a rabbi in Pennsylvania. He had PhD by the way, at Dropsy College, the old Dropsy college on the Missna as it's quoted I think in missiona text quoted in Shawn or something like that. Uh So, I wrote to Ref Schachter. So here, oh, here's the picture of later he taught at Yu and he was known as an expert on gayrus See. They don't even call him l a Milch. They just call him Melch Schachter. And uh so I see this article in a partis So I write to Ref. Schachter. I write that, you know, being that I'm in teaching in Scrampton, I've written a bit about the rabbi's and the Hajamim who lived there. And I found this article on a pardaise from Elia Revella Melch Schachter rabbi and Scranton. Apparently this is your father, I think, But is it? I want to know, and I want to know if you were born or lived in Scranton, because here I'm always speaking about the important people came from Scranton. And I had no idea either, for Schafter might have was from Scranton. So I'm asking him, and he says, that's true. I was born in Scranton in Mercy Hospital in July twenty eighth, forty one. So now you can answer the lists of the people and born people from Scranton Orfessional chafter and then he says, my sister was born there also. This was the first rabonus of my father. And then he says, when I was a year old, we went to Reading, Pennsylvania. My father was there, and then we went to Philadelphia and the Bronx. And then he tells us about the house the Epstein family in Scranton, and I know is in the is in their house. And then he says this follows. He says, when I in my books, when I want to cite speak about a small town, like just a small town as opposed to a big city like Washington, Washington, I give an example of Scranton. Actually also give Scranton a paramus, like I said. He sayss like in one of his books. He says, I feel, well, asa Scranton or paramus. Uh so uh, that's what he uses. And then he then he says in paramise, I was a rabbi for a few years or by Gutterman, those who from Scranton. And remember by Gutterman, he didn't come to my brisks for some reason. But he promised he'd come to my wedding, but uh In and he wasn't able to come. And but we'll see. He doesn't say it here that he didn't know about it, but the next letter he actually says that that he did not know about this letter at all of his father. So that's just a historical point that her Schachter came from Scranton as well. Now the next letter is also true. Schachter and uh I have to tell you the background for this letter. I asked Schachter if the only rabbis I asked to publish that letters around Maszus and Rabbi Schachter, because some of the letters were maybe on the issues, not just a lochic issues. There's an assumption when you get a letter from a rabbi, a lochic letter, he assumes it's going to be made public. In fact, yeah, I think the big rabbis assume that every letter is going to meet public, even a scuffle letters. But I asked rab Maszuos and asked Reschecter about publishing letters, and they both said yes. However, I don't know if Schachter would agree with publishing this letter the next one. He didn't say anything what he gave him the book, but I think he might have been upset because of his modesty. But I felt it was important to publish, and so I did. So let me tell you the story because I think it says a lot about the man as an individual and people who know him as a person. There's many great rabbis who they're great in terms of learning, but if you see them up close, you know things are not so good. The great ones when you see them up close and you come away with the same impression. We have many stories of a great tell me to coming, but when you see them up close, you see the personalities. There was difficult people. Everyone who knows herschel Schachter up close speaks about him a very kind et cetera. But so, what's the Why am I telling you all this? Because it's I think it's a very interesting story. I thought it was important to include the letter. He comes, as I said, every two months or so, used to come. Now they do it on zoom to my town to give these shearms so sometimes I go if I'm around. So this was in I think like four years ago, so he came. It was before Paysach. He gave a sheer on Pasach. I've mentioned this before. I think it's one thing. When he comes in to give a shear just to speak about issues, that's fine. I find it's strange when they invited him in, like as the rabbi, because there are local rebunny but so fine. But if the as, I guess the rabbis will say, well, well we're morel and you can ask him. But the problem is U Schachter comes in and he sometimes says things an opposition to what the rabbi said. And at that night I mentioned this before he came in and he was asked about using the those listine strips on young Kipper. Wasn't pace off but the young for young Kipper because you could ask any question it was answer because the same thing. I guess it will be pace if it's mutter on Young Kipper's mutter on pace. Also it's not oha, and he said it's permitted on Young Kipper. Uh, And that was indifferent than what people in the community had been told. So you always run into these problems. But after the class was over, someone asked me the person who runs it, he organizes it. He asked me out, would I drive him back to uh New York. So it's not far. It's that time of night. You get to Washington Heights thirty minutes thirty five minutes from West Orange, New Jersey. So I said fine, Sure, I said fine. It's a big list here, especially because you can talk all this time, and when you talk to Ruschefti hear all sorts of interesting things. He tells that it tells it like it is. So the few times I had spoken to him before that. So I said sure, I'll take him. And and I don't use I'm like the Rev, I don't use this third person. The rabbis in town they speak to him in third person, like does the roseshiva say this? It's famous. They once ask the love this. Someone asked them what does the Russaeshiva think? And the Rev was like, well, which roseshiva? And they said you, I mean, which was shiva?
Speaker 1: No you?
Speaker 2: So I said, so, why don't you say you in English? It doesn't work like in German or Yiddish third person? And you speak to the president, you speak first person a second person, so it's a bit I can never get into the third person unless you're trained in a certain yeshiva. But whatever, So we I have him in the car. Now, I've been driving for well, talking thirty by that time, thirty five years or whatever. I've only had one fat in my entire life. I've had a number of times that we all had where you come outside and maybe in the morning and you see the tires a little low when you go and there's a nail in it. But actually on the road, it was like when I was nineteen in my town, just a mile from the house, I've never had a flat. Well, and behold. I get him in the car and we're going. And right when we get on the highway to eighty to eighty, if you know West Orange, it's that's the road you'll take then to get to New York City. So literally three minutes four minutes from the show, right when you get on too eighty go and behold a big noise. And this is like ten o'clock at night, now ten to fifteen at night. And because we don't have in my riv after the shear or the sheer went to like nine thirty and then to have my riv and then people asking questions, and we didn't get out of there till like ten or five after ten, so maybe ten after ten. It was a big noise and all of a sudden, you hear like the wheel going. So I pulled to the side and I get out and I'm like, we have a flat. So so he says, okay, so we have a flat. So I called the triple A and I get into car and we're waiting fifteen twenty minutes. We're talking, and then I realized that they said it'll be like within an hour, but it's already now like ten thirty, ten forty or something. I'm like thinking, this is not such a good idea. So I tell him I'm gonna because I said, with the time they get here or might be after eleven. And I said, I'm gonna call my friend, the guy who asked me to drive you and say I have a flat to take you home. And he says, no, I don't want you to do that. He said, why not? He says, because I'm not going to leave you here on the side of the road all by yourself.
Speaker 3: So we sit.
Speaker 2: We sit for a little while longer, and and you know, he has to be up early in the morning, he has to give sheer. So I'm like, no, this is crazy. So I say to him, I'm calling I'm calling him up. He has to take you. This makes no sense. So we get an argument. He says, no, it's not right, it's not I can't leave it. I said no. I said, well, well, I'm going to go home. Don't bring me. I'm five minutes from home once they change the tire. But you're not going to get home. It's not going to be to after a minute. You got to be up Berlin a more. You have to do a share. So I convinced him. I convinced him to to So I called got on the phone and I called this guy and he comes and he picks him up. He gets there, I coast to eleven or so or a quarter to eleven. He picks him up and takes them home. And then then the guy triple A came like eleven fifteen, didn't I tire. I went home. A couple of weeks after that. I told him about the things I'm writing in the Swaran blog. So I sent him something I wrote and he writes back to me cavodi kiri, he says. The first thing he says, am, I am very thankful to you that you volunteered to bring me to New York. Who meets the air on the alsha. This is two weeks later, he says, I I'm sorry he's still feeling sorry that I left you in the middle of the road. Lojayaze min animos. That was wrong. I shouldn't have done it. In other words, it not wasn't respectful. I think that's an incredible thing. I know, I think re check to probably wouldn't want that included here because but I think it's important for the people to see that this is a goudabe serle who has so much on his mining. People are calling him day and night. He's giving me share him day and night. And two weeks later, the first thing saying is I had to force him to get in the car. Basically is that it still is bothering him and that he's upset that he left me on the road. And I think that says something about his citcus that because I know many rabbis one thing twice and wouldn't bother them. Maybe at the time, not later. This letter I think is important to show the me do't the ethical characteristics of this great yeshivah rosseshiva That weeks later, it still is bothering him, and he's upset that he left me, even though of course he should have left me. What is he gonna do? He has to be up early in the morning, he has to teach all day. What's he how is that gonna I'm a big boy. I can wait for the UH, for the uh guy, the triple A to come UH. So I think that this I I didn't ask him about when he had I didn't ask him in particular this letter because I thought he probably say, don't include it because he's a onn of But I think it's important for our community to see this. And then he says, thank you very much for what you sent me. I sent him a post dealing with the Davar Avraham the roof of Coveno, and then thank you again for what you sent me about my father, which I still haven't studied. And I'm very thankful because I didn't know it all from this. So this is just a small letter. I called it I Gerrit Shallom, but I think it's important and for our community to know who who he is, especially since so many people like to attack him for positions that they don't like, which is fine, you can disagree. But I sent him something where I expressed a different opinion, or I cited someone who expressed a different opinion. This is a lotic issue having to do with Corona. And he says, he said, thank you for sendement. I never said accept my opinion. I give my opinion if people want to. He wrote this to me, it'll be in volume two. He said, if people want to accept my opinion, that's fine. But I never said Kibu did accept my opinion. That's like the rev used to be like that. Okay, we had time for one more. No, actually we don't have time because this will take a few minutes. The next Schouvan it's the last one we're going to have from the Rabbi Mazous. We've seen so many from the Mazous. I've introduced you to Robert Mazus, an interesting figure that many of you hadn't heard of. He was in the news just yesterday because of the election. He said as follows. Someone asked me who he supports as Prime ministry. Supports in the Tan Yahoo, but not in terms of political party. So so he said in his Saturday Nights here, if you're a Ben Torah, that is Yeshiva student, I guess you should vote for one of the Haredi parties. But if you don't want to vote for the Haradi parties, then vote for the Religious Zionist party. The problem with the Religious Sionist Party is they got this. They made this these technical coalitions where you have this u kahanis they're not it's not one party, but they joined together to pass the it's just as a technical thing. So they join the votes together to pass the level limit that you can get into Knesset. So that's that. That also, he said, some strange things smoke trich but but so here you have the Mazu saying, if you don't want to vote Karadi, vote vote for the Religious Zionists. And it could be the Religious Zionists is going to get more votes than they think. Apparently many Karadi are disillusioned. Yankee, the grandson of Rachaem Konevski, says that you have to vote for the Karadi party to show your member of the community. It doesn't matter what they do, how good a party they are, just to show your community, so we will see what that does. So let me then, well it's nine twenty five, so you we can take the questions now and the comments. So we're going to pick up just so you see next time the last thing from mazu ose getting us into a little bit of maybe higher criticism of the talmud coming from Rabbi Musus and how this is relevant to other adders, and then we'll see Robe and Rappaport Professor Yakov Lewinger. We're into a new section beginning next week. We only have about forty pages to go, dealing with books and authors, and we're gonna hear about all about the art scroll forgery or it's just say, censorship of Rashomo Yosef, other interesting stuff. But we're coming to the end. I said, I don't think we'll get to fifty five, but maybe fifty. But we still have lots of interesting stuff. So let me go back now to the questions. We'll start at the beginning here. David says, since one may not prepare the saltwater prior to yomtov Ah, very nice. Buying it this year is one last thing to repair before the satyr. I bet you though it'll be back next year and every year. Barr says, basketball was invented in the US. Don't think it was big and your point and he says, jumping around. The story is told his basketball. Look, it's possible. It's possible that he saw the people, the irreligious people of playing and he said it. But the story in the Halls of Yu, the story deals with the Yu guys. I already showed you the yearbook. They Yu had a tennis team, they had a basketball team, hit all these things. It was real sports. Barr says, is this the Rabbad ideas similar to Christian doctrine of Jesus? At first, no, because they well maybe well they do say that the tomb is empty, uh, but they do believe he was killed and then he was raised. So that's but this Rabbad doctrine, this strange Rabbad doctrine, says losh know de Ganisa. It's like Hanoch over Earlyiahu, that sort of thing. And this is but you have it's called occultation the Shiah. You wait for the final, the Mahdi, the finally mom who's going to be brought back. And this is an important for another reason. Bernard Lewis pointed this out that before he died, well, this is when Ahmadenijad was president. With the Soviets, we always knew that there was a mutual assured destruction. They're Communists, so they don't believe in afterlife or anything like that, and they don't want to die, so they knew that if they want a nuclear bomb on us, we'd want a nuclear bomb with them. So at least you can understand where each one was and you could be assured that they're not interested in committing suicide. The problem with the Iranians is and Ahmedenijad was a member of a group, this religious sort of group that believes in working for the working to bring Mashiach, that is, working for the return of the losty Mom. And one of the ways that they think that they could bring him is if the world becomes in such a difficult circumstances, if there's a great conflagration, or through martyrdom. There's all certain ways. So if you have people who really believe that we can help bring them you know the hidden me mom, and that if we were to let's say, launch a nuclear weapon on Israel and Israel would respond by launching it on us, and that will create we cleanse the Holy Land of the infidel, and we all this martyr dom. In other words, this is the sort of thing Lewis said that could help bring the final you know, it's creating this apocalypse. It could bring the last d mom. And we know they're willing to commit suicide and kill themselves. We've seen it again and again, so you know, just simply like you hear people say, well, who cares if they have nuclear weapon? They know they can't use it because they know that they'll be destroyed by Israel or America. Who says said, maybe that's exactly what they want. They want, especially Armadenijad, who was a member of this group that would wanted to help bring through their actions, they thought they could bring the hiddeny mom. So when people who believe in suicide as the service of God, you don't want to give them the opportunity to do that, I would say, yes, thank you Mel for pointing it out. Bars what I'm told is that the people in India. You probably have some in Israel as well, but the people in India are known as the real crazy ones in this respect. I've met RaBaD rabbis who say that they don't even consider them rabbad. They speak of them as I don't know if the people who were with me on a couple of years ago in Centre Europe, I don't know if you're here, were in the Savor Tarifl. That's how you remember when the Savor tterifle. So there was a big habad rabbit from California who was there that weekend as well, and he said to me, they're not even RaBaD so there, I've never seen anything like these people. And but loook, I hate there and everyone goes there and they try to avoid that unless you hold idea have burger that you can't eat their food. But I didn't go that far and show you them a serious Nephish. I had extra chocolate which I brought, so I know they keep Paul Vistra, which is a huge and serious nephishir. But I gave it to them because they have all these Israelis there. The reason Abados is in the bad neighborhood that the poor neighborhood is because these Israelis can't afford anything to stay at these chief hostels. So I gave it to him, thinking, you know, you'd give it to some of these Israelis you have some closher food, hardly any of them ashell mashabas or anything. Some of them you do find some religious ones, but most or not. And he said, well, it's not calvitralos, so we can't use that. I said, but you can give it to people. He said, no, he'll give it to the non Jewish worker. And that's what he did when I was there. It's really sad. You know, all these Israelis they're there, they're searching, they're these there's villages there which are full of Israelis. They're looking for something which obviously they don't find in Judaism. At the Shabist table, there even was a guy. He rode his motorcycle right up to the rabbat house. He's his father is a is decently well known. He told me. I never heard of it, but his father is decently well known in the religiou Zionist world. He runs a school. So you have even from religious people who are not religious anymore. But he told me about he had visited that week. There's an Israeli who was caught smuggling drugs and from Nepal and it's been like three years then he still hasn't come to trial. Is being held up in some prison near the border, and he took his motorcycle to go visit him. I mean, you have all sorts of cases like this where people just chews caught in terrible situations. Schmol says, how do the gis go from the iron being hidden to applying that to human being? Is there any source that applies such a concept to a righteous person? Well, they try to derive it from something the Rebbe said in his in one of his seat about the nasihador, But really do they need the prince of the generation? But do they need to have a source? They assume already by definition at the Rebbe's so he can't die. They assume it's at least they assume I guess, of course, can die but then be resurrected. But they assume because understand their attitude is like he controls the world and that nothing happens without the Rebbey's approval, and that you can turn to the Rebbe and he'll do things for you. I mean they view him as a kin't It's almost like he's part of the Godhead in their understanding of it, so, David says, here's a similar quote from ervin thirteen. D uh, anyone who chases after good goodua runs away from him. So, but that's not cove. That's not the exact phrase Covid, although it means sort of the same thing. Borrow said, how much of the letters come from the rebbie how much from a secretary's I think the rebbe definitely write it over because it has his handwriting in it. I assume he dictated it to him, but I I don't know how much he didn't. He didn't type it up. He wasn't doing that himself, typing it up. It's a good question. I'm going to ask, in fact, the author of that book. I'll get to the report for next week, David Zakokowski, who wrote it?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 2: I mean, when he's writing to people, when he's writing to my father, he's talking about historical thing. He's not giving it to someone else. The typical letters, which don't say very much like the letter I got. I'm assumed that the secretary wrote it. He just signed it. But I'll ask. But you can see in many of these letters they're personal letters. So he dictated it to him. I guess I don't think he. Maybe he wrote it in long hand. I will ask, though it's it's a good question. I don't know. David says, the legal term for agent and Israeli agency, well is schuim. Not so in sixty five it was still schurim. But David says, Schlikraim in Hebrew offer first to the apostles of Jesus, and not Jesus himself, as per the polemical text in the Hagadavo a YadA a Shuliach. I didn't know that that was polemical. I never assumed that. But maybe what you mentioned about Shuhim and Hebrew referring to the apostle of Jesus. In fact, rab By Mazou says that the reason in Ribbinic Hebrew they the pooral of Shriach is schruach Shurim and not Shlichrim, is precisely because of what David says, that Schlichriim refers to the apostle of Jesus. But to which I have said, I wrote this in print that I have found no evidence whatsoever that in the days of the Mishnah, that or in the days even in Earlierbinic literature, that that's what they referred to the apostles as in other words, so therefore the mishnah, would you schuhim ave, I don't believe that that is found until at least medieval period. Rabaike Helma said he is a supposed to be in vircial Schachter for four years before he was famous. Mel says that Rabbi David Kat spoke about doctor Montalto yesterday and pointed out that when he was summoned to treat French royalty on Shavis, he was driven there in a carriage by a nanjou. He was attacked for doing what he did, and wrote a shuva defending what he did. The problem is, I don't know who doctor Montalto is, so if you can tell me who uh Rabbi Montalto, who wrote a chuva? I don't know who that is, so maybe you can tell me Mel him I've never heard of. And Rabi Kelman says that he followed of Shachter's view in Toronto that although it's not a popular view in Toronto among the rabbi is that to speak together with a reform rabbi, the reform rabbi gives his position, and then you give your position. The tower position. Barral says a doctor treating royalty is not necessarily the same as fine to Olympics on Shabas. He didn't fight Olympics of Shabas. He flew back before Shabas and then he had to walk up. But I said, if a car came to him because he was summoned, I believe that any post Sake, and I've asked a few rabbis would say if if Putin summons you and says he wants you coming here, of course you do that. It's a rabbinic prohibition. And the po nephesh that we allow all sorts of things. I said, we, uh, we treat patients, not just da rosa. Uh So I have no doubt that any posts overlander him. Not and Rebbi was himself as Atma, so he doesn't need h anyone else. But uh, I mean, he can side himself. But I have no doubt that any post Sak would And I know post Scheme have told people like zach Kim and others. They and these are people who positions are not at anywhere near the level of Putin. Remember of the Lazarre Lazar could pick up the phone and call Putin and get through to him. It's David says. The question I have is with the Rove today postulated in the fifties, that's preferable to miss Tis the chauffeur. Then here it in a conservative show. Perhaps this view stem during a time of mon Orthodox who was facing extinction being swallowed up by conservative movement, whereas no lore concern both in the light of the rise of Orthodoxy and the Wayne and Conservan movement. I think ref Schechter that's his position that I don't think he says he's disagreeing with the rov I think he says that today we're not giving them legitimacy. First of all, they don't need our legitimacy. And it's not a battle anymore. They're the ones who are declining. It's we're not in a struggle. In the fifties, Orthodoxy was in the minority, and it looked like the future was with the Conservative movement, and you had many of the younger generation, including children of rabbis. If you look at the rabbinical school in the seminary in the forties and fifties, most of them came from Orthodox homes, even from most of them came from Yeshiva College. I think in the nineteen forties, I have the figures in the Libraman book. So it's very different today. And Habad doesn't have that issue either. They have no uh. I spoke when I in New London, Connecticut. This is taking back to nineteen ninety six when I was teaching at Yukon. I was invited to e vent There it was I think it was a reform snega, not a conservative. Maybe it was conservative and it was me, the Habad rabbi and the conservative and we each gave our talk and no one thought we're giving them legitimacy. That's why Lee moved. We moved in England. The Garadi Rabbi is very opposed to it. But Schachter said, when I was at the firstly Mood conference because I was inviter, I Brander was there and I said, I asked for Schachter of Shachter said, oh, it's very important. So that's I this idea. And today if you go to the Adam Furzer has an article. If you go out west, let's say you go to places like Denver, texas the Haredi co os the Lakewood colos are doing classes a conservative synagogues and reform synagogues. It's everyone is concluded that today this is not an issue. Borah says, was I named after someone whose named Melach?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I was not named after melahor Malcolm. My parents just like the name. I mean Malcol. They figure Malca, so why not Malach. But there's a Meleach, this one off from the people from Tink. He's a he. His son is the one who this one off, so you can see. He's Garrett Sedeka. But his wife is from a Yiddishist background. It's their son who translated Harry Potter into Yiddish. They made such a big deal about it. But Melech, his name is Mela also, and we're Meyoch together. It won't behold. I run into him in India where he was on sabbatical. But anyone who lives in Teeneck knows Meyochem and a great great Jew, so I'm happy that we share that name. Barry says, there Amel Schachtter was my teacher of Ordea. He taught me how to sign my name properly as a witness and aid when he was in Sara conditioner, and I said he was also an expert in conversion. And how many years ago was the flat tire? The flat tire was about four five years ago. I think it was five years ago. He doesn't have the name the date on the h the juve i just has a date, not the year. David's apropos. Addressing rabbis and the third person, a student in Hertzione asked his friend named Iron, Hey, Iron, what's the time? Where let's see it was a near shut of the two students immediately after soon asked his friend records seeing Immediately chimed in and told the students what was the time? Rabbi Wineberg tells the story, tells a story about they were baking monsters with it's all a blauser and someone says he it's luck to one of his friends, and it answers the question, Jay Yellen, our good friend Rubyakov I had the honor and pleasure of sitting next to Rabbi Schachtra and ou dinner in la in twenty fourteen. First, he behaved exactly to describe warm, friendly, and even occasionally funny. Also, my first wife had died a number of months before the dinner we used to attend, I know ou West Coast together or a Schachter found out that, during of course our conversation he was incredibly kind of ready to come great. I had a great comfort and rama. I'm quite certain he would not remember the conversation at dinner, but I will never forget it. Thank you for recording that. And Schwolz says, do I offer the background to the letter? Yeah? I do offer the background, otherwise people wouldn't know what it's about. Zahav says a few more questions. Israel. Noel writes about the idea of resurrection at the start of the first millennium in regard to a Jewish general successful for about three years then killed, and seems to suggest that it is where what became the Christian sect got it from there. There there are some things that there's another text. I think maybe that's what he's referring to, of a of a resurrected Messianic figure. So we do have a few passages like that, not mainstream sort of things. But Rabbi Sandy Schulna says, at the time of the depression JTS and why you almost merged, Yeah, that you can look in one of our Kafat's articles. He has all the primary documents on this. The sticking point was Mortorgai Kaplan. Finkelstein refused to get Rudmorta Kai Kaplin. If fink Olstein would have got the rumort Ki Kaplin, they could have because in the seminary was still committed to Hawaja and the differences were not that much. Probably, and yesterday was Sol Liberman's York site. I did not know that when we finished with these classes, I'm gonna do many classes, not this many, maybe six, five or six on Soul Liberman. He died on the plane on the way back to Ericisterral he died. If I should now, my teacher of Aaron Rothcoffe told us at BMT that JTS and why you came co to Merger. Yes, it was because of the money situation. I think the attitude was that JTS the rabbinic would be absorbed and the scholarship that was fine. So you'd have, like there's a Bernard Revels that would be seminary. At that time, you didn't have any real theological issues that were really distinguishing them. Bark I didn't give the example of flying to the Olympics. I said, if he was summoned and he had to do that, or then I gave a different example. If the car pulls up on Shabis and says that Putin wants you, Rabbizar, that that that's there's no post tak, you would say not to do that. What I said was that he food of the Olympics and when he came back he had to then walk home and all the Missnagdi mocked him and saying, what kind of rabbi is this?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know Ari of Schabas, he's at the Olympics and not understanding that when Putin asks you to come there you go. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes in Russia. How many people in Wizar has been able to help and because of his close relationship to to Putin. Doctor Montalto was a famous converser. Doctor left Portugal and f flod to.
Speaker 1: Judy is.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I remember he went to He ended up in Istanbul, if I if I recall correctly, he went, but he was not able to write at Chuva. Yes he he uh if anything, he got some rabbi and he ended up in correct men, he ended up in Istanbul. That's what it was. Yes, oh, yes, okay. And finally the last question, can I repeat the source of the material you referred to about the respective merger of JTS and YU. Well, you can read about it in a few different places, but the primary documents, there's this annual called Michael Michael. It doesn't appear anymore. It came off from Televiv University and Aaron Rakkeeffet. Most of his stuff is more of like the rabbinic stuff, quasi bigiography some of it. But that's a pure academic article in which he publishes the original documents from the YU side about the discussions about the merger between jts and and YU. I mean, look, Kaplan was a sticking point. That doesn't mean that if it wasn't for Kaplan they would have been able to in the end do it because the Roushi Yeshiva would have put up a fight. The question is how important are the Russia Ashiva in determining things? The Russia Ashiva have put up fights about lots of things. Put up a fight about changing the charter of YU. They put up a fight every year. They'd have this like a social where they called the deans something or another where the boys and girls were to come together the Ashiyashiva. I have done lots of things and they haven't had the They didn't control it. So I don't know if in the end, but we don't know, but what would have happened, But that was always the sticking point. Mortora Kaplan by Hertzog came to America during the war years. He refused to step foot into I think this is during the Warriors. He came one time Warriors was after he refused to step foot in the seminary even though Saul Ribman was there, because he said he cannot step foot in the building. That allows Mortora Kaplan to teach implication being a kapain wasn't there. At least he could have stepped in to go visit Lieberman. You'll see when we finished with these things and we do sel Lieberman. It appears at least mortor Haik Kaplan claimed that sel Leiberman held to the Haram while they were at the seminary, at least for a certain time on him. So okay, So finally the last thing now says a cat's quote that you've written by Montalto, and so they probably had helped writing it. He must have had help. He was a doctor like this. But I'll have to investigate this. And Sandy says, should know Rabbi Gerson Cohen moved the portrait of Caplain so and Cohen spoke, Kaplan's portrait was there. All I can tell you about Gerson Cohen is that traditionalist rabbis. Just give you an example, David Feldman, I mean you're saying it that he he he wanted to see the portrait of Captain. I'm assuming that's what you're saying. Rabbi David Feldman, the father of Rabbie Feldman of hy You in fact refshach. Here's something I think I could say this because pub knowledge, everyone went to the Jewish center of ten Neck would have seen it. He told his son. Rabbi Feldman's son is Daniel Filman, a big, big Tom mclachelm Bucky. He'll be a russiashiva. I think he's a rasheva now that he could dovin in his father's shoal conservative show as long as he you know, there weren't because it was it was It wasn't egalitarian, it was just conservative. There's no Maritza, but that he should find a place where there's no women around, and dovinaire out of keybod of for his father, respect for his father, he should find a place. And then that's sock therev Maybe the Rove would have given it privately, publicly, he never would have said something like that this. David Felman also was a very fine time of Hoffling wrote the standard book on birth control and Jewish Law, which you could read like any Orthodox work. But David Felman said that gers Son Cohen was a secularist. I'm not saying it, that's what That's what David Felman said. So Gersn Cohen's approach to Judy is and now Feldman, of course was on the right wing group that fought Cohen over women, rabbis and all that thing. But they there was no love lost between the conservative sides. And you're saying that Gerson Cohen loved Kaplin. A lot of people loved Kaplin. He had a big following. That's one of the reasons that Finkelstein rid of him. Also Finkelstein loved him. Finklestein was a student offense. So, okay, there's a lot more to say. We will end here. Thank you all. We'll see you in a few weeks. Rabbi Leman, if I.
Speaker 8: May I just on this last point. I believe you mentioned on one of our trips that David Feldman, had he been in the Orthodox world, would have been one of the plus game of our community.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's no question about it. I asked him why he I had a long conversation with him. In fact, one time one of my own conversations was in Toronto where he spoke for Torren motion. Remember many many years we had for.
Speaker 8: My mother's yards. Say Danielle rob Danielle came with his parents and they spoke, the father and son, and it was it was, it was very nice.
Speaker 2: And his father was a rabbi out in Los Angeles, wrote a book on the Turta Mima. This was the time in the fifties where they thought that the future was in the conservative movement, and he went there. But he he had a great, great learning, and uh, it's it's our loss that uh. Although Rabbi Hudart's Lincoln writes that his book on birth control, it's a perfect book, no problems, anyone could use it. But he uh, he at the end he was very disillusioned. I know someone who was at the the one of the conventions of the Ra towards the end when of his life. What he went or the one of the less was he went to and Robby Feldman got up and started very emotionally saying, all this stuff you're talking about, what about shabas, what about kostros? Have we forgot to know about it?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm assuming he saw that as a career move and as and when you see how he educated his children, I mean the children came out a wonderful, wonderful children in a traditional total environment. Uh. I am certain. I needn't ask him this, but I am certain at the end of his life he realized he made a mistake and it was He's not the only one, uh, but yes, he would have been. It's a loss for our community.
Speaker 4: He was a conservative.
Speaker 8: Stop father father.
Speaker 2: He has bublic she flappers showed the pinnacles and his system follow was too the old confert of rabbis usually usually the other way was there, the money was there, the job was there.
Speaker 6: But so you sent to the she.
Speaker 4: Wins.
Speaker 2: She went off to show central.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: But I think for someone like Selman, he didn't think that it would develop the way it did. It just became a form of UH. I mean for most of them, which quite well failed me. I felt this was the father. Okay, thank you all, thanks, Okay, everybody like, thank you Barry doctor.
Speaker 3: We'll see you.
Speaker 2: Please go on in three weeks.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 8: Servis math enjoy.
Speaker 4: Everybody on the best.
Speaker 2: Market.
Speaker 8: Doctor Benny on on to hill him and uh. On Wednesday, I mentioned after on Thursday eleven a m. Eleven am per sure that shavu. That's the three more shearing coming up this week, so I hope you can join us.
Speaker 2: And there I want just say one more thing. If Daniel stillone, I think ye. I can tell you that people called him thinky, even not as a negative, just as a foreman endearment, thinky. Like when I went to BMT, we called it a Rabbi Horwitz call him whitey. So I yes, there were he was at odds with Finklestein could read the book, and he had issues with fink Ostein about certain things. But just be calling him thinky doesn't in a private diary doesn't necessarily mean a negative thing. Okay, leave it at that. We'll pick up more later. Thank you.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on zoom, please visit torenmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast that or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen