Speaker 1: Welcome this Friday afternoon of the Tri State. Big news came out last night about Terry Francona, former manager of the Indians and also the Red Sox was World Series titles. Also the former manager of Michael Jordan and they played with the Reds in nineteen eighty seven. Now joining you and I as the Hall of Famer Marty Brenneman and Marty, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Marty, first of all, your reaction to the hiring of Terry Francona, and you may have had a part in it because you mentioned his name first, But what is your feeling about Francona.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know about I don't know about having a hand in it. Bill. I felt like when I was asked, you know, when there was all kinds of names being bandied about, that if you looked at the list, there was only one name that stood out, and that was his. With all due respect to the other guys that possibly had been considered a were to be considered before the announcement this morning, he was far away the best. I mean two World championships and postseasons virtually every year of clubs that he managed. And so I was thrilled to death at the club felt the same way I did, And so you know, it happened. And I give him a lot of credit for being aggressive in targeting him and then being able to come up with a deal that was good enough to get him signed to a contract.
Speaker 1: Do you vaguely remember Terry Francona here is a player in nineteen eighty seven? Does your memory go back that far with positive things about Terry Francona and the Reds?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, I mean that's where he and I first met, and then even though he was here for a year, we had a great relationship. At that time, it was a business relationship. He's a player, I was a broadcaster. And as years went by we stayed in touch and we became good friends. And in fact, amand and I went out saved his home in Tucson last late end of February before we drove down a good year for the for spring training. We played golf three days in a row. And so he's a dear friend of mine. And I'm proud to say that because he's a quality guy. The people in this town are going to love him. I just think it's the greatest single hire that the Bob Castellini owned Reds have ever pulled off.
Speaker 1: I did an interview last night and I referenced the fact that in nineteen eighty nine, nineteen ninety pot Rose Lou Panella came in with a fresh look on things. He came from the outside. In a sense, Terry Francone was coming from the outside because he's not been around here for about thirty seven years. So yes, But would you compare this in a sense to the arrival of Lou Panello in the greatness he brought to the club.
Speaker 2: Well, they're different personalities. You know, Lou was bombastic and Terry's not like that. But Terry has a way about him that that has an instant connect with the players that he's managed over the years. And you know, Terry, Terry is reintroduced to the National League after having not been around since his first managerial endeavor and that was with the Philadelphia Phillies way back. But at the same time, with interleague play, he knows how the game is played in this league and he's not going to have any problem with that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure how's his health because, as I understand it, with the Indians, I can recall the last game he coached and managed for the Indians. I'm sorry and the Guardians. They had signs all over Cleveland Stadium talking about God, bless you Terry and thank you Terry Francona. How's his health these days?
Speaker 2: His health is fine. In fact, when we were out there in February, and having kept in touch with him since then, all the problems that he had that led up to, you know, walking away from the job in Cleveland, He's healthy as a horse now. I mean, he might tell you that the only problem he has is problem keeping his weight down to where it should be. But even having said that he's lost a lot of weight, he's in great health. They don't have any concern whatsoever about his health. And quite honestly, Bill, I think that he had some things that I think sobered him up to the point where he knew that he had to get his act together otherwise he's going to die. And that got his attention, and I think that in and of itself, is going a long way toward putting him in the position that he's in now.
Speaker 1: Well, when you were out with your lovely wife in the Goodyear area of Arizona, did you have a sense in February that he was wanting to get back into baseball. Did he relate to you, you know, I kind of miss it. I got my health, got things back to I want to get back into the game. Did he tell you that in February?
Speaker 2: No, we didn't. In fact, when we left his home in Tucson, I told him, Man, I said, he's never going to manage again. He's done, He's done with this. He was so assertive in his feeling that he would never go back and put a uniform on again. And now, I think being away for a year, getting healthy, watching a lot of baseball, which he did, I think he watched our club a lot, it made him realize that he was not ready to hang it up yet. And he was healthy enough now and invigorated enough that he felt like it was time to come back. And thank God, this is a situation that seemed to be the kind of thing that I think any manager would want to take a look at this club because it's the core is a bunch of young, very talented players, a team that, if healthy, is deep in pitching. And I think all of that has made a major difference.
Speaker 1: Now Marty, it's kind of odd in baseball. It's a big industry, but it's so small in a sense. Buddy Bell brought in Terry Francona. When Buddy Bell was I believe with then the Indians, now the Guardians, and so here we are. Buddy Bell brings in Terry Francona, and then Bell's son, David Bell, is left and Terry francone and takes his place.
Speaker 2: Somewhat peculiar, Yeah, it is, you know, I mean, Terry and and Buddy were dear friends forever, and you know, Francona knew David, he knew every member in the family. And then it is kind of ironic that they have now come to the point in which they are all individually and collectively are part of And it's just an interesting situation, it really is.
Speaker 1: I know you're busy, but a couple one more question, and that is there was a perception, you know, after last year, not this year, but last year the team won eighty two games. In the last ten seasons, the Reds have had one winning record in a full season, which was last year, and there was a sense in March April of last year, this club's ready to take off.
Speaker 2: Why didn't it well, you know, I said, I said last spring, and people got all pissed off and jump me because I was being a negative, But I made the point. Then I said, you know, God bless what this team did last year, because it was a team that'll always be remembered as a team that made baseball relevant again. I said, but to automatically assume that a bunch of young kids with one year of big league baseball under their belts is going to come back this year and collectively produce more than they did in their rookie year, I said, there's a saying in baseball it's if applicable to only this sport, and that is to stophomore jinks. And I said, just get ready, because you're going to have some guys here that are not going to have the kind of years in twenty four that they did in twenty three, never dreaming it would be as bad as it was. So you can't take anything for granted. And I would like to think that with Bell and probably some new coaches on the staff that they are, I mean, with Terry and new coaches on the staff, they're going to do some things that obviously were addressed or we're not addressed enough this past year that will bring this club back to its full potential and perform the way it should. That one thing they got going for him, and I think is a real plus. They're in a division where there is no dominant team. I mean, it's never easy to win a division, but God knows, I'd hate to be in the American League East for the National League West. But that they are in the division that's very winnable. And they have to tweak some things with this club to bring Francona in. There's one thing, but he's not America worker, so he's got to have some players. And I think there are some needs at this club needs to fulfill to allow them to bring out their complete potential towards trying to get to the postseason in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: And is every expectation, and we have a news conference coming up a little bit here, but there's every expectation that Terry Francona is going to clean house. And Freddie benavinis Et said, a great guy. But isn't there a belief that Terry he's going to bring in his own guys because he's mana always come well, he's got a wealth of experience. Everyone that worked with him in Boston or in Cleveland, they love working with Terry Francona. Can we assume the entire coaching staff is gone.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I think there will be some coaches on the staff that'll be back. I think there will be some that are gone, but I think there'll be some that'll be back. And you do have to give a new manager some latitude. That doesn't mean did you go from one extreme to the other. And that is to say to him, well, we won't choose manager, but you're going to have to take the coaching staff intact. No manager would do that. At the same time, a club will have a one or two or three coaches that you know, they go to the new manager and say, look, well you really like to have these guys back. You will find there'll be an asset to you. But you do have the freedom to bring in whatever number it is. I think it'll be a collection of old and new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would assume Frank Cone has talked to the key players on the team already. What is your perspective, Let's get together, let's talk. Tell me what went right, what went wrong? This year, and he's got the general manager who got the Casteline. He's so you know, one thing Terry Francone is going to have. He's gonna have presence. In other words, he's gonna have credibility. He's done it before he can bring in his World Series rings. I know what to do. I've done it before, I can do it here. And Terry Francone is not looking forward to a rebuild. He's not going to come in here at the age of sixty five years old saying let's take two or three years. He wants to win this year, correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think is any question about that that he wants to win this year. But at the same time, you know, let me put it this way to you. If they don't, if they don't win the division, I think you'll see a vast improvement in this club as long as it can stay healthy. That's the key, because I think he and his people will bring out every bit of good that they can with his club. They will make players be accountable, which I don't think they were this this past year. Despite what David Bell might say, and I think Jonathan in India summed it up better than anybody when he admitted that we have to have a manager who will uh put accountability at the top of the list. Yeah, you know, I remember when Lou I told somebody the other day when Pinela was here, if he had gone through a season like this team, the clubhouse would not be a comfortable place to be.
Speaker 1: Well, Terry, I'd be great.
Speaker 2: You know. I think he very subtly and and and in a in a much calmer way. I think lou will make these guys understand that I'm not going to accept anything but the best you got all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, Marty, I'm glad, I know you're busy. Thanks for calling in and this afternoon. We'll see what happens later on. But hit him straight and make a few.
Speaker 2: Putts, all right, Pal, I appreciate it, Billy, thank you, Mario.
Speaker 1: I was continued more and you know Marty brings it up. But this year, the first baseman didn't play, the second baseman didn't play, the third baseman didn't play. Most of the season, the entire Reds pitching staff was on the d l at some point or another, and uh, David all went from red hot to ice cold. And as he said, Lou Panella would have been rolling around on the carpet with some of the players in the dressing room. And that's not Terry Francono, but the eyeball to eyeball, he will hold the players accountable. And so we'll see what happens. Bill Cunningham with you every day in your home of the Reds, Pete Rose and the Bengals. News Radio seven hundred ww