Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I mean, when Fred Rogan's here, it's a special occasion. Follow kids, It's like we need a bottle of dom or something, because it's always a special occasion.
Speaker 2: You want to know what's weird? You bring that up? Yeah, so I did dry January?
Speaker 3: So did I?
Speaker 4: Okay, So here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I thought I'm going to do dry January just to see because you know, I mean, Shannon, Gary, you know, I think if need be, we can all toss a couple of back.
Speaker 4: Don't not the wrong way?
Speaker 5: Give me nineteen okay.
Speaker 2: So you know I wasn't opposed to toss on a few back here and there, like all the time. So I said I'm going to stop and dry January.
Speaker 4: I stopped.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hit February.
Speaker 4: You know what. Okay, I've made it. I don't really miss it.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too, but I think it'll be fun to have one now and see how I feel.
Speaker 1: You went crazy. Not only did I not go crazy, I wound up naked in the desert.
Speaker 4: I do that without drinking, right. But the next day, I felt awful.
Speaker 2: It was like I stopped and then I thought, well, yeah, because I could drink, I stopped and then I went, oh my god, I feel terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I don't think I can drink.
Speaker 3: I've heard about this happening.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is when I did Dry January, I remembered a conversation that we had, probably we were in the other studio. It had to have been six seven years, I don't know, a long time ago when you first started working here maybe, and you said you did dry January.
Speaker 3: And to me, that was like what a hole?
Speaker 1: You did?
Speaker 3: What? And you were like, and I.
Speaker 1: Asked you five hundred questions because I know you and I we like our cocktails.
Speaker 3: And you said something.
Speaker 1: Like, well, I just I had to stop drinking for a month because I know I was drinking a lot.
Speaker 3: I had to stop. And I was like, huh.
Speaker 1: And as I was going into doing this Dry January, I was like, Fred Rogan did it.
Speaker 3: I can do it.
Speaker 2: But then I could come back and that wasn't a problem. Now it's a whole new ball game.
Speaker 4: It's so odd interesting. Yeah, I mean it really affects, well.
Speaker 3: You look great, your skin looks great.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, thank you, I'm not drinking.
Speaker 3: I didn't do it, rolled it over.
Speaker 1: Oh oh please hand to God. As my dead father would say.
Speaker 4: We're in March.
Speaker 5: I know you still have it, and then became a length Listen I can I can confirm because this one for years has been getting wine deliveries to the office here simply because there's someone here always to sign for it. You have to be over twenty one to sign for it. And if you do it at home while she's at work, her husband's at work, they're not going to deliver it to right right, there are two fult boxes of wine sitting in our office that she has not asked me to carry down to the to her car as we leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and I gave them the Keana because she likes bubbles.
Speaker 5: So can you help me take I'll take them to your car today.
Speaker 3: They're friends, like they're gone.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, well, if you really want to get rid of them your god, Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 1: It's wild, though, how good you feel like it's you do feel differently?
Speaker 3: It's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know the other thing, I felt exhausted. Yeah, the less I drank, the more exhausted, I felt. Yeah, so I don't understand that either contribute.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm napping.
Speaker 5: Did you Are you hyper aware of like blood tests results and all that sort of stuff, like your numbers and measurement all I just went and better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, mine were scary.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you something.
Speaker 2: Was there ever a point after you'd get those numbers you thought I'm one test away from a liver transpoint exactly?
Speaker 3: I was like, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: When you see it like facts on paper, You're like, Okay, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I never got to that point, thankfully.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But nobody ever says anything though, Like the doctors don't say anything. Well mine didn't. They were that's me looking at my own. But I'm a hypochondriac.
Speaker 3: I do this.
Speaker 1: I look at blood work and I see something that that's not even a big deal. Yeah, and then I have to call his wife and I'm like, am I dying?
Speaker 3: Should I go in?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: I had back pain one time, Fred and I went to urgent care thinking I was in late stage kidney failure.
Speaker 5: Really, yeah, so this is not your story. She was terrified.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my liver was probably fine.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: So years ago, years ago, I go to the doctor and I got a blood test.
Speaker 4: This is many years ago. ER was still on NBC.
Speaker 2: So I go to the doctor, I get the blood test, not reruns, no, the original, and he says, look, there's a problem with the blood test. You know, there was an irregularity. Just come on back next week and get this thing tested. So I immediately think, oh my god.
Speaker 5: It's bad.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting in the makeup room and I'm watching Er, and a guy walks into the the er and he goes, yeah, I just don't feel well, and they go, we're going to run your blood work. And anyway, the guy during the whole show's saying, I got to get out of here. I got a lot to do, I got a life to live, I got a business to run. And you're waiting, and he's getting more agitated and more upset, and then they finally walk in and they go, look, we've checked your blood work and you have leukemia.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm sitting there watching that, yeah, and I think to myself, oh my god, that's what. Oh my god, are you kidding me? I mean he told me there was an irregularity with my blood work. It's now ten fifty. I call him at home. I called the doctor at home.
Speaker 4: So he picks up.
Speaker 2: He goes, what's the matter. Are you okay? I said, listen, why can't you tell me the truth? Why won't you tell me the truth? I'm getting ready to go on at eleven o'clock, but I'm saying, why won't you tell me the truth?
Speaker 4: And he goes about what I said? It right?
Speaker 2: I said about my blood work, and he goes, well, there were some irregularities.
Speaker 4: It's not a big deal. Come in. I said, just tell me I have leukemia.
Speaker 2: And he goes, if you have leukemia, you're gonna die a very long and painful death.
Speaker 4: You don't have leukemia. Why would you think that?
Speaker 2: Because I'm a hypochondriac and I watched the other they had it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, I'm not that bad.
Speaker 5: That's bad. It's very bad.
Speaker 4: I swear to God. I called him. I went, this is awful. I don't know.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting at home one day. Back is killing me right, and I'm thinking, oh no. So I look up online and I think my heart, it's affecting my back. So I go in immediately, I go listen, I'm having severe back pain and I need a battery of tests.
Speaker 4: I need every test you've.
Speaker 5: Got, head to toe.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 2: This is all true, so good and wait, can I go back to the leukemia testing?
Speaker 4: Yes, because this was the worst.
Speaker 2: So I go in after I told the guy I had leukemia, and he goes, okay, well, look, we're going to check your intestines or something. I don't know what he's going to do, and he goes, you want this, so we're going to test you. He lays me down on my side and he pulls something out the length of a garden hose, a garden hose with a nozzle, and he goes, now.
Speaker 4: Pull over.
Speaker 2: He says, lean over, because I'm going to give you this test, and it's a test you want, and since you called me at ten point fifty at night, I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 4: I'm going to enjoy this a lot.
Speaker 5: More than you are.
Speaker 4: And he took that garden hose.
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to come up my throat and I went all the good Lord, there was no garden hose.
Speaker 4: He said, just a little longer. I want to make sure I'm getting a good look.
Speaker 2: I said, Okay, I'm fine, I'm fine. Yeah, so I do have some issues being a hypochondriac. Guess that's great, My god, that's great. It's like looking into a mirror.
Speaker 5: Do you have opinions about the Eagles who you don't know?
Speaker 4: Okay, can I tell you something? Uh? Oh no, no, no, because I do this news show out in the Desert, the Rogan Report. Yeah, yeah, you know. We snuff out corruption. That's what we do, right.
Speaker 2: I could tell you guys' stories and you would laugh for hours about the stuff that goes on. But the Eagles are at the end of our six o'clock news leading it on my show every night, and everybody becomes thrilled with the Eagles and the Eggs and Big Bear. And I thought back to the days I worked at Channel four and I would sit there and watch this every night and see everybody get so emotional and just so excited, And I thought, what the hell is this enough with the Eagles. I mean, it is constant, it's constant there. I'm sure it's constant here. Every year it's the Eggs and the Eagles. I'm done with them.
Speaker 1: Well, especially, no one's giving you any attention, and with the leukemia and everything.
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, in.
Speaker 2: My physical condition, right, don't you think people should be more concerned than about I mean, at any moment, and we're worried about what you're watching online, Gary staring at the snow and big Bear.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of a narcissist thing that goes on when people get a little jealous of the eagles and you.
Speaker 5: Want you know what I'm going exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, I survived kidney failure for this.
Speaker 5: Oh great stuff.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you what now?
Speaker 5: I'm busy, You're okay, start thinking about it.
Speaker 3: I got that diagnosis.
Speaker 4: No, I never got that.
Speaker 3: I turned away from giving blood because of my ane.
Speaker 5: They were afraid she's going to bleed out. No, it's fresh.
Speaker 4: Well what is what is your blood type?
Speaker 2: I don't know that's gonna hurt yoursfuse her blood type is thin, That's what.
Speaker 4: All right? Listen, this has been very exciting, but I have to go lay down.
Speaker 2: Somebody.
Speaker 5: We get a pillow for Frank.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 6: You're listen thing to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: We're late for swamp Watch. But why don't we do a quick swamp watch. Okay, I'm not a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar. And when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 3: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done. The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not going anywhere, So that now you train the swap, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 4: You know, Americans have always been gone at President, They're not stupid.
Speaker 5: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 4: Whether people voted for you were not.
Speaker 5: Swamp watch, They're all counted on. President is going to do an unusual speech today, At least the backdrop of this speech is unusual when he's going to go to the Department of Justice to lay out his vision for the Department uh. The White House Press Secretary said Trump's speech will be on ending the weaponization of justice against Americans for their political leanings. I mentioned that it's rare. Twenty fifteen was the last known public appearance by sitting US president at DOJ paid tribute to Eric Holder, who was leaving his job as AG. Before that, George w voted in two thousand and one to formally change the name of the building to honor RFK served as Attorney General under the administration of his brother J. FK. Both Attorney General Pam Bondi and FBI's Director Cash Mattel are expected to attend the speech at about noon today.
Speaker 1: Stocks are hired today on Wall Street, so that's good news. They've been tied to what's going on in Washington as we kind of make our way through the mess that is the tariff threats. It seems like each day this week there was new news, a new item that was being targeted. Yesterday was American whiskey versus French wine. But it seems like things are good today when it comes to Wall Street, with the Dow up more than five hundred points at many times today, NASDAC up as well SMP five hundred, clawing back a percentage point.
Speaker 5: The government shut down deadline of tonight looks like it will come and go, and we should have a plan in place. Chuck Schumer, who a couple of days ago said he was going to advise Senate Democrats to vote against it, has now changed his mind.
Speaker 7: The cr is a bad bill, but as bad as the CR is, I believe allowing Donald Trump to take even much more power via a government shutdown is a far worse option.
Speaker 6: They can stay in a shutdown as long as they want. There is no off ramp unless they decide to take that off ramp, and they won't because this is their best tool for achieving their goal. Slash government, slash spending.
Speaker 5: All right, go on, He goes on from one.
Speaker 1: You know what, we haven't spent any time on and I want to continue to spend no time on it except for this right now, because I saw that Mark Kelly is ditching his Tesla because it's a rolling billboard for Elon Musk. I want to spend zero time and I want to take back the last thirty three point one second zeh on people that are ditching their tesla's because they don't agree with Trump and Elon Musk. The whole I'm getting rid of a brand because of politics. Thing is so juvenile to me and so ridiculous, and to me, it's raising your hand and just saying.
Speaker 5: It's also, I know what you're it's also pretty what luxurious and you have the ability to get rid of your car and buy a new one because you don't like something that that guy said.
Speaker 1: Luxurious in the way you're speaking, and rich in the way that you purport in one hand to totally care about the universe and the environment, and you know sustainability ten years ago in your car. I mean that to me is the hypocrisy. You know, the people on the left continually talk about the apocrisy on the right. Listen, there's enough to go around for all, y'all, and it's gross.
Speaker 5: Do you want to do? I thought this would be fun to do that Civics test. We were talking. We were going to talk about this group of kids from Orange County, this new Civics B.
Speaker 1: I didn't wake up with the goal to fail today, but here we are.
Speaker 5: Let me bring it to you. Thank you, serve it up on a platter. You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty. Big congratulations to Reagan Kammerer, who won the Orange County Civics B competition held at the Nixon Presidential Library. She's an eighth grader at St. Junipero Sarah Catholic School in Rancho Santa Margarita. Second place went to Arlow James Fravian from Walton Intermediate School in Orange and Kreshna Gopinatham from o Oxford Prep in Lake Forest finished third. They all get to advance on to the state finals. If they do well there, they could go to the national finals. There are now forty. California is one of forty states that participated in the National Civics BE to try to encourage people to take a more active role in civic engagement.
Speaker 3: Is six is about government?
Speaker 5: And here we go. All right, I signed us up for a practice test from the US Chamber Foundation dot org.
Speaker 1: I am a product of public schools for the most part.
Speaker 5: Not really, No, no, don't make excuses now, wait, wait till we get the final score.
Speaker 3: Very dumb.
Speaker 5: I signed both you and I up as the test.
Speaker 3: Ta. Okay, so let's do it.
Speaker 5: I wrote my first name was Gary and this last name was an Shannon.
Speaker 3: Okay, got it, got it?
Speaker 5: Okay. First question, Yeah, which branch or branches of government can declare war executive, judicial, legislative or any of the above.
Speaker 3: Interesting. I would say just the executive, just the legislative.
Speaker 5: We need to come to an agreement.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, because you got to get that they can be the executive's idea, but they've got it signed off because that's the whole checks and balances thing.
Speaker 5: Congress, Oh, all right, How many senators does each state have?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 5: Okay, that's an easy one. What do you think is the difference between your two types of congressional representatives? And you can choose more than one. For example, a a representatives term is longer than a senator's term. No representatives represent districts. Senators represent the entire state. Yes, representatives answer to the governor. Senator's answer to the president. No representatives are appointed by population, whereas every state has two senators? Correct? Okay, so B and D correct?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: The Supreme Court has how many justices?
Speaker 2: A lot?
Speaker 3: Nine? But it's sometimes they talk about having more right.
Speaker 5: And there's nothing in the Constitution we know that that says it's got to be nine. Who signs a bill into law? President, Congress, Supreme Court, Federal Court.
Speaker 3: That would be the president.
Speaker 5: That would be the president. What year did women get the right to vote in the United States?
Speaker 3: Nineteen twenty something or a.
Speaker 5: Nineteen twenty seventeen seventy six, nineteen twenty, nineteen eighteen or twenty nineteen twenty. To become a US citizen through naturalization, you must be a lawful permanent resident for at least how many years? Three, four, five, or ten ten? I don't know the answer to that one. Which part of our government regulates commerce? Congress, the Commerce Department, the President, or the Department of Treasury.
Speaker 3: What was the first What were the first ones?
Speaker 5: Congress, Commerce Department, President or Treasury? And this is regulates regulates, I would say Congress. Also say Congress, how many How is an executive order overridden? Interesting? Typically overridden? Congress has to approve executive orders, they often choose not to. Congress vetos the order, the judicial branch must intervene, or the next president overrides the order. What is the most typical.
Speaker 1: Way, most typical way, I would say either judicial or the next president, probably the next president.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll go with that one. Does an executive order immediately become a law?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: No, no, I'm going to say no, I'm going to override you.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: I don't like it when our brains do different things.
Speaker 5: What year was the Constitution written? Seventeen? These are all in the seventeen hundreds. Eighty thank you, eighty one, seventy eight or seventy six.
Speaker 3: Seventy six okay.
Speaker 1: But these are all that seventeenords about when the Constitution was written.
Speaker 5: Which of the following is not one of the president's responsibilities outlined by the Constitution? Not write and pass laws, execute laws, nominate justices to the Supreme Court, service commander in chief. What's the first? Which is not right? And pass laws?
Speaker 3: That is not that?
Speaker 5: Yes? A okay. The fact that the president can issue pardons without oversight is an example of A an executive order, B checks and balances, C separation of powers or D none of the above.
Speaker 8: Hm.
Speaker 3: My first thought is to go with A or B. What was B again?
Speaker 5: Checks and balances?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd go with I don't know if that would be a example of checks and balances.
Speaker 5: No, because there's no overset, right, I would say it's none of the above. Okay, we'll find go with A. Who is responsible for trying impeachment cases like calling witnesses, the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, or none of the above.
Speaker 3: The House?
Speaker 5: Right, No, the Senate, that's where they try it. You could be impeached by the House, but the impeachment I thought it started.
Speaker 3: With the House.
Speaker 5: It's you they call for the impeachment.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, that's misleading. That whole question is out of order. Can an impeachment be appealed?
Speaker 4: Yes or no?
Speaker 3: Yes, everything can be appealed.
Speaker 5: You're all done? Ready to see the results. Here you go, Uh make sure.
Speaker 8: Questions.
Speaker 3: It sounds like ten.
Speaker 5: Twenty No way? Was it? No way? Answer one is correct, two is correct, three is correct, four is correct, five six oh. To become a United States citizen inter naturalization, you must be a lawful permanent residence for five years. Interesting, that's one we missed, all right, Next one we got right, got right, got right? The correct answer year was the constitution written? We got that wrong, Yeah, seventeen eighty seven. We became a country in seventy six. Right, So there's two now, Oh god, God.
Speaker 3: We're dumb.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that first one we got wrong is because of our white privilege. There's no excuse for the other one.
Speaker 5: President can issue pardons, is an example of separation of powers. We got that one wrong. Okay, everything else I was. I was wobbling on that though. And the impeachment appeal and impeachment cannot be appealed.
Speaker 3: I thought you said that I thought you answered correctly on that one.
Speaker 5: I told you what I was going with. I put your answer, why would you do?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 5: We missed three out of fifteen. We would not make it in the Civics.
Speaker 3: Be no, we would not, And now we feel like a failure.
Speaker 5: And on a Friday, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 3: Would you like your Jeopardy questions?
Speaker 5: Now that we know that we don't know anything about the Civics, Well, we got three wrong.
Speaker 1: We should not have gotten that Constitution one wrong, and so that was stupid.
Speaker 3: I'm really upset about that one.
Speaker 1: In fact, I think we should dedicate our weekend to learning about this country because as an American, sorry, that's the wrong music. As an American, we should know when the freaking constitution was written. Obviously, we know we landed here and the country is founded in seventeen seventy six, But who were we to think that so much would get accomplished in that first year.
Speaker 3: It's idiots. Idiots think that way.
Speaker 1: People who were raised under roofs and given food they didn't have to forage for. We didn't have to wait on our parents to bring home a duck for them to peck at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with our siblings somewhere. We are spoiled.
Speaker 3: We are spoiled, We are pampered.
Speaker 1: And the fact that we don't know when the Constitution was written makes me ashamed to call us.
Speaker 3: Dare I say Americans?
Speaker 5: Dare I say Americans?
Speaker 3: Americans?
Speaker 4: We're underdog we're mutts.
Speaker 8: Here's proof, noses cold. But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more lovable than the mutt who saw Old Yeller? Who cried when Old Yeller got shot?
Speaker 3: At you?
Speaker 8: Nobody cried when Old Yeller got shot. I'm sure I cried my eyes out. So we're all dog faces. We're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we.
Speaker 4: All have in common.
Speaker 8: We were all stupid enough to enlist in the army.
Speaker 4: We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very very wrong with us.
Speaker 8: Something seriously wrong with us. We're soldiers, but we're American soldiers. We've been kicking ass for two hundred and one.
Speaker 3: That's funny. It's stripes.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, one of our motivational Monday things on a Friday.
Speaker 3: Okay, because we're bad Americans.
Speaker 1: Your category for Jeopardy is going global for twelve hundred dollars. In Malay the name of this capital city means muddy confluence. Best to leave that out of the travel brochure. What is Jakarta wrong? Not only are you a bad American, you are a bad Malaysian.
Speaker 3: That's that's in Thailand. Yeah, so there's that.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm just going out of cut Malaysia.
Speaker 3: Think about the missing plane.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Malaysia in the airlines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where did it move from?
Speaker 5: It wasn't Jakarta.
Speaker 3: Where did it?
Speaker 5: Where was it headed Malaysia? It was headed to China.
Speaker 4: You know, you're right.
Speaker 1: I may have my news events wrong. Kuala Lumpur is what you're looking for?
Speaker 5: Excellent?
Speaker 3: Was that connected to that missing.
Speaker 5: I don't remember. I don't think it was qual Well.
Speaker 3: I almost just said Jesus's name.
Speaker 5: But can you imagine what this twelve o'clock hour is going to look like?
Speaker 1: I can't just I haven't imagined any part of this show looking like it has trending stories.
Speaker 5: Kfi feather Brooker is going to join us for our entertainment report What you learned this week on The Gary and Shannon Show and and The Nine News nuggets you need to know. Don't forget ah.
Speaker 1: Ah Malaysia Airline Flight three seventies.
Speaker 3: Was enroute from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. We were both right and we are now Malaysian iHeart Radios.
Speaker 5: Wango Tango is returning to Southern California and it's coming to the beach Saturday, May tenth, Huntington City Beach. This all star lineup Doja Cat, David Getta, Megan Trainer, even Gwen Stefani. Tickets are on sale when you go to AXS dot com. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on kf I AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap