Speaker 1: As soon as you step off the plane in Rome or Milan, there's a rush of excitement. You're finally here, and Italy announces itself in a way that it only knows how. The hiss of the espresso machine and ancient ruins, surrounded by cafes, chaotic traffic and never before seen driving maneuvers, people talking with their hands as much as their voices. Ben Venucci, Welcome to Italy. You've arrived. Now how do you go about really feeling part of it? In this episode, I'm joined by my Roman friend Deizine to explore how to get into the Italian vibe when you.
Speaker 2: Arrive Tawatuti and Benvenuti Tuan Told Italy the travel podcast to where you go to the townsend villages, mountains and lakes, hills and coastlines of Ballet Italia. It's week your host Katie Clark takes you on a journey in a search of magical landscapes, history, culture, wine, gelato, and of course a whole lot of pasta. If you're dreaming of Italy and planning future adventures there, you've come to the right place.
Speaker 1: Ben Binucci, Welcome to Untold Italy, where we help travelers move beyond the checklist so they really feel part of Italy.
Speaker 3: This is the Untold Italy Way.
Speaker 1: I'm your host, Katie Clark, and on today's episode, we're going to learn how to feel really part of Italy from the moment that you arrive. Assimilate if you will. After all, travel is all about embracing new experiences and soaking up what makes each place unique and special. And you know what, I might be a little bit biased, but there really is no better place to do this than in Italy, thanks to its easy, relaxed vibe, encouraging people, and of course, the most delicious food the planet. Somehow we all become a little Italian when presented with a plate of mouth watering handmade pasta or a chunk of life changing buffalo mozzarella cheese, it is very difficult to suppress your appreciation of this deliciousness. Joining me today is my Roman Vestie Nazim, the founder and tour host at Full Belly Tours, a food tour company that takes you right to the heart of Rome's food district to start you when Naziine grew up. Nazim and I met back in twenty nineteen on a food tour, of course, and we've been friends ever since. So andiamo, let's get started and learn how to specifically express appreciation across a busy Roman road, greet people the Italian way, and in the process really feel part of Italy. Ben Tonato, Nazim, welcome back to the Untold Italy podcast.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Always, always, Now Nizim is a bit of a regular here on the Untold his Lily pog cars, but perhaps this time you can reintroduce yourself for our new listeners.
Speaker 4: So my name is the same.
Speaker 5: I run a food to a company in Rome called full Baly Touris. I grew up here even though I'm not Italian French mother, Tunisian father born in the US, raised here, and I worked in restaurants most of my life. So food is absolute passion and feel proudly Roman. So I like to share all of the wonderful like food that this city has and to show people that you actually can eat well in Rome because it's very easy not to unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and it's very easy to eat well when you go with Nazim. Trust me, people, he's the master and you know you may not have been born there, and you may not have Italian parents, but I can assure you Nazim is very Roman and when you walk around his neighborhood with him, you will see that he is much loved there by all the locals. So yeah, it's your home.
Speaker 5: It absolutely It's the only place in the world where I have a sense of belonging.
Speaker 4: It's like my home.
Speaker 5: And it's also the only place where people will say, yeah, here's one of us. Yeah, because for everyone else there is something that doesn't quite fit.
Speaker 4: Whereas like here in Rome.
Speaker 5: You know when I speak at how and I have a thick Roman accent, and I'm very, very proud of the city and distachers the neighborhood I grew up in and run my tours in, and so yeah, it's like a tiny little village. There's about eight thousand people that live here out of the three million in Rome. Yeah, if you come on tour with me, it's basically like being like, you know, one of the villagers is my wife and.
Speaker 1: I column Okay, folks, now, we have a fun episode plan for everyone today, and it's all about getting into the vibe of Italy when you arrived. So I don't know about you, but whenever I travel to another country, and especially Italy, I like to do a bit of pre planning and research so that I get into the spirit of the country, understand the cultural norms, and I feel like I'm really part of it because you know, I don't know about Unizine, but being part of another culture is the best reason to travel, because you know, like it's one thing to see sites like the Colosseum, but it's a whole other experience to figure out how not to get run over in Roman traffic.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, So we'll get to.
Speaker 6: Some tips on that in a minute.
Speaker 1: But first, Nazine, do you like to get in the spirit of destinations that you go to. I know you're off to Copenhagen in Denmark soon. Are you prepping up by getting ready to jump on a bike and order some delicious motor bond?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: No, most definitely, And I agree like whenever my wife and I travel, we do extensive research, especially like food wise, and my wife and I basically travel for food, and we basically figure out what else we do based on where we're eating or you know, what snacks or what places we're visiting for food, and so Yeah, we definitely do a lot of research.
Speaker 4: And as you.
Speaker 5: Say, I think it's important to kind of figure out a bit about the country you're going to, because one of the things I would always hate is to be like the ugly tourist that's not necessarily aware of doing things, because sometimes you don't even know that you're doing something that is kind of not appreciated or something that you know maybe you shouldn't be doing. So I agree, I think it's very important to, you know, do a little research, look up like how people interact, how to greet people, get like a basic vocabulary down, even if you don't memorize them. Or what I do is I have I make like notes on my notesap on my phone with you know, a handful of words for restaurants, handful of words for greetings, a handful of words for appreciation. And I think those are especially good because it shows that you're like making an effort to be appreciative and to kind of integrate because unfortunately, a lot of people that travel, and this can sometimes be a cultural thing, get to places and they communicate the way they do at home, and that can sometimes come off as being very rude, and that'll rub people like the wrong way and can be very counterproductive. Here, for example, there's like a formal way of addressing people and then like a direct way of addressing people. And if you know the person, addressing them directly is fine, but if you don't, it can come off a little kind of pretentious or a little like disrespectful. And so it's that kind of thing that's good to know before you head to a place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, So when we lived in the UK, they have a very specific manner. Even though I'm half well, i am officially a British citizen as well as an Australian citizen.
Speaker 6: But Australians are very direct, not as direct as.
Speaker 1: The Dutch, but we can be very very specific and it can be very uncomfortable for people who aren't used to that level of specificity when it comes to expressing preferences and you know.
Speaker 6: So I always remember when we lived in England, people who say.
Speaker 1: Oh, you must come around for a cup of tea and how about now, you know, and they don't they don't mean that, I mean maybe in the future, some vague time in the future, you know, and pressing them on a day a time is really awkward. So yeah, I think we should definitely get into some of the especially those language things before we get there. I love getting to a place and you immediately feel like something's different, you know, like it's different than your home, and I just.
Speaker 6: Love that feeling.
Speaker 1: I get so energized when you arrive in Rome in Italy. What do you think that feeling is when you arrive?
Speaker 5: Well, to be perfectly honest, it's one of the things that I'm most jealous of visitors, because I'm incredibly lucky to have been raised here, but it means that I've never seen Rome like with new eyes for the first time, and so I've always been jealous of people that. Obviously, I mean, as I said, I'm very lucky but raised here, but I think it must be incredible to experience a city that has so much cultural heritage, so much beauty, so much food. And Rome is a very big city. It's like larger than the nine largest cities after Rome in Italy fit within the circumference of Rome, which is why I can seem a bit overwhelming in comparison to say Florence or Bologna or Milan or whatever, and so it can be a bit much. Italians are quite animated, we're very affectionate, we're quite loud. I don't know, and so it can be a bit of a sensory overload, but I imagine it must be spectacularly interesting because I think of Rome is an open air museum, and I think all the sites that they are at to see, you should definitely do your best to see them. But then I also think it's important to take the time to just like walk around the center a bit, maybe like away, like down the little alleys, because Rome is so beautiful and we have so much incredible stuff absolutely everywhere. I think one of the best things you can do is just walk around and like look up at buildings and you know, listen to the saints and sounds. Stop for a coffee, you know, sit in a square for a bit, try to interact with a local, and yeah, you'll get a much fuller experience.
Speaker 4: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for someone who's like a frequent visitor to Italy and my first threell you and I get off the plane is the the energy.
Speaker 6: There's a different energy and it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Some people might find it scary at first, but you know, the traffic is a bit chaotic, but there's that, but there's also that there's a fastness and a slowness, and so when people are walking, they're not rushing. No one's rushing when they're walking, and they're sort of like ambling along and they might be arm in arm with their friend or their partner or whoever, and it's just it's a different like there's these fast paces, scooters zipping in and out, and then you've got this, you know, piano piano, this slower, you know, mode of traveling. Like I just love that contrast actually when you see that, and then also the noise and the you know, the honking of the horns and whatnot, like it's always in the background, and it's just, Yeah, it's such a great thing to do, is just to sit there and really soak it all up and just take notice of what's going on, because it is different to where you're from, and I think, you know, some people maybe get a bit anxious about it, but if you just notice and just notice the differences and lean into it, I think that's where it gets really exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, one hundred percent. And I think it's one of the things that makes travel so much fun because when you're home, you know, home is wonderful, but you know everything, you're used to everything, you know how to navigate everything, and so to get into a new place is always so much fun to me because it's like, well, how does this place work? What does this place look like? Sound like, smell like, feel like it? So yeah, I agree completely. Those first hours are like day or two when you get into a place, are so interesting. And you know, the more you travel, the more you see, the more your mind you know, opens, the more things and foods you experience. So yeah, it's one of the things where I've always loved travel. It's like food and travel are my absolute favorite things in the world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's why we like each other so much.
Speaker 1: So the thing is, I think as well lately, I think fund's gone out of travel a bit.
Speaker 6: That's why I wanted to talk to you about this.
Speaker 1: When you suggested these topics, I was like, yes, let's do it, because travel's got a little bit too. I don't know, like everyone's like, you do have to plan, and I'm very good at sharing how to plan.
Speaker 6: Because it's and it's important.
Speaker 1: You know, if you're going and you want to see things like the coliseum, you have to do these days Unfortunately, it's just you know, these the spontaneity has gone out of that so things. But you know, I first started traveling when I was younger. It was that real excitement of experiencing new places and different ways of doing things that really captured my imagination. And I was saying to someone earlier today, I grew up in the suburb where two very big travel brands started. One is Lonely Planet and the other one is Intrepid Travel. And these are really big global brands that started in the same suburb as me where I grew up, and that's Glen Iris for those of you who live in Melbourne, and Glen Iris is great.
Speaker 6: It's a lovely suburb, but it's very boring.
Speaker 1: So first opportunity that I had, I was out of there, you know, because I wanted to see the world.
Speaker 6: And it's because of these differences.
Speaker 1: Okay, So no, see, now you mentioned language and some words and you know, being respectful with certain words in Italian. One of the most popular words in Italian is chow. Let's talk about choo for a bit, shall we, because I think people want to say, hey, jow bella choo, you know, but maybe we need to go a little bit more slowly before we launch into our chows.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So chow is a very versatile word and you can use it for more than just greetings. But it is a greeting that you would use, so it can mean both hello and goodbye. As a goodbye, you can use it in most situations. But it is quite direct, Like going back to what I was saying about there being a direct way and a more formal way of addressing someone. And so if you walk into a place and you say choo, and you've never been to this place before, you are greeting them, you are putting in the effort. It is nice, but it may not come off like that to an Italian person because like Italians are very warm and friendly and welcoming, but there's this kind of dance that is somewhat expected of you, and it would kind of be like coming.
Speaker 4: In guns blazing a bit.
Speaker 5: No, it's like coming into a place that you've never been to in an English speaking country and addressing someone kind of like saying like hey, and so, yeah, chow is great, but I always start with salvi. Salvi is yeah, like a polite way of saying hello. It's fairly informal, so it comes off like very easy, but it shows respect and by addressing especially older people like someone older than you, but not only shows that you're being respectful, and it makes them more receptive to you. And so chow is great, especially if you're familiar with someone, but like say, you know, you're saying someone there's like a cafe that you go to in the morning to have your coffee.
Speaker 4: The first time, you know, be more formal.
Speaker 5: Then by the time if you go back a second time, you know, and by the third they'll probably recognize you. By then you can get a lot more familiar, you know, and they'll warm to you a lot more like here in Rome if you go to a place, like even me who grew up here, if I go to a place for the first time, they tend to be quite stony and cold.
Speaker 4: By the third time they're your best.
Speaker 5: Friend, you know, because they see that you appreciate them, you appreciate what they're selling, and especially if you're nice and you're polite and you say things like schoozy Salve grazia. It is true that coming from a hospitality background, I always take the time to thank everyone, and you know, because I think a lot of people forget that when you're dealing with hospitality businesses, you are still dealing with humans, and so it is nice to go the extra mile, and you know it not just being transactional, where in some countries maybe that is absolutely fine and it's like you're not required to do that little song and dance, but that song and dance is very appreciated here in Italy.
Speaker 1: Quick Break shorter than your morning espresso for on the go, curated travel tips, restaurant recommendations and fun things to do in classic and hidden spots across Italy. Download the Untold Italy app link in the show notes.
Speaker 5: And So, I think salve is one of the best words that you can have in your repertoire because it's a word that Italians don't necessarily expect foreigners to know, and it's a very nice, polite way of like opening the interaction.
Speaker 6: Yes, I love salve. It's very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people do look surprised when you say that, actually yeah. And also one of Jonata, which is you know, enjoy the rest of your day basically, and that's a really good one too. Be they're not expecting that one either, because it's kind of colloquial, right, not colloquial, but it's like a more local way of saying things.
Speaker 6: So you're not going to learn that one necessarily in school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, exactly.
Speaker 5: And it's ways that locals communicate. And I try to learn like little words like this when I travel too, because it shows it's a very easy way to show that you have put in the effort. I agree, And a little goes a long way, and so they'll be much more appreciative the effort, you know, is noticed and is welcome, as opposed to some countries where maybe if you try to speak to them in their own language if you don't, like I'm half French and I love the French, but they can sometimes be a bit much if you know, you mispronounce something like I don't understand, you know, Whereas in Italy, even if you don't pronounce it perfectly, it's still very much appreciated. So as long as you're putting in the effort, then a little goes a long way.
Speaker 6: That's so true. Is there any other words that you think might be useful schools?
Speaker 4: Is alve permisso or you pay miss so? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is how you say, like, excuse me if you're trying to pass. Prego is also very useful. Prego means you're welcome, but it also means like after you. So, like, I know, if I'm walking on an arrow sidewalk and you know there's someone that has their shopping bags, or you know there's an older person coming my way, I'll step out the way and I'll be like prego, And it's a very polite way of saying like go ahead, you know.
Speaker 4: Go by.
Speaker 6: How do you say Gratian?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 5: Yes, right, So in Italy you pronounce all of the letters, and so it's grat cy. The z in Italian is often pronounced as p s, especially in the middle of the word, and so it's grat ye because it's g r a z I e and so you pronounce both the i and the e. So if you say gratzy, you say gratse, you say, they'll understand it, but.
Speaker 4: It's grats yea.
Speaker 5: The ye sound is sometimes harder for non Italians to get to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's thank you.
Speaker 1: So I think if you're going to make the effort to say thank you, then it's nice to actually say it, you know, correctly, if you can, so gratsy.
Speaker 5: It Yeah, and there's also a difference when you're greeting someone between like in the time.
Speaker 4: Of day you're greeting them.
Speaker 5: So during the day, say until about lunchtime, it's bon Giorno is day bono is good, whereas in the like afternoon evening, it's b is evening. Technically there's a third one, which is buon pomio Pomitico's afternoon, and so theoretically it's bon Jordan until about lunchtime. From lunchtime until about four or five o'clock it's bon pomrijo, and then in the evening it's bonas. But to be honest, like at least in room, no one really says bompo mediutuo. So I just do bonjo until about lunchtime, and then once it's the afternoon, when you're leaving, you say buenaa. It's that extra little thing that lets them know that you know, you've done the research, and then I actually think that you just live there and you're not just a visitor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: And what about do you want to express appreciation for food, because I think that's very important. You know, the fastest way to make friends within an Italian needs to appreciate their.
Speaker 5: Food, right absolutely, So there's a number of ways to say like delicious, so bono is good, belo is beautiful. Food wise, you would always use buono, not ballo. So bo bicimo is like even more delicious, delicioso is delicious.
Speaker 4: Obviously words are very very similar. But then the one.
Speaker 5: I prefer to use is spit taco laradi spectacular and here in Rome you can even just say spit tacoo and they get very very proud. Like basically, the more effusive the word, the prouder and happier they'll be. And so something like spittacolare they will definitely not expect from a visitor and it will make them very very happy. And then there's ways that you can gesticulate, and an easy one that I can describe verbally is by putting your index finger to your cheek and twisting, And that's how we teach kids to say delicious. But there's some hand gestures that you can use too. I out use them to you if you come on tour. But yeah, spin tacolare or spittacoo is like my favorite one to convey like really delicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about a hand gesture that people maybe shouldn't use.
Speaker 5: There's one which I find hilarious, which I think is like the biggest emoji misconception of all times, the chef's kiss emoji. What people think those like the fingers like coming to a point with the thumb pointing upwards. That's the Italian hand gesture for what are you talking about? And most Italians don't really do the chef's kiss. It is understood what you're doing. But the most common one is you kind of wave your hand in a circular motion kind of while looking somewhat upset and taking like a deep breath that shows that you know. I think of it as maybe like the food is so good that you're fanning yourself because you're a little faint, and it's so good that it's making you a little angry. The chef's kiss one I find very funny because to an Italian indust read it's like, this was the best food in the world.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 6: That's so good? Do you know who?
Speaker 1: I Reckon does the best waving gesture with the food. I call it the food face a mutual bread of veils. Andrea does it really well, like I Reckon he's got the moves when it comes to that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What about when it comes to dressing, because I know Italians and really when you arrive, you.
Speaker 6: Just notice they're making an effort.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I said to my daughter the other day when we were on the train into the city here in Melbourne, and I said, look at this, like they're all just wearing tracksuits.
Speaker 6: I know that's the style these days for the kids.
Speaker 1: But you know, I said, what I want you to do is just keep an eye up for different outfits that look really good. Like let's see, you know who's actually made an effort to put their outfit together, you know, because that's one thing I really love when I go to Italy, even like ladies that are in their nineties are walking along and they just you know, completely put together.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 5: So Italians are very I mean, this is one of the countries of fashion where you have like lots of like big name fashion brands, and so Italians are they do lake fashion a lot. They like looking nacee. There's actually a term called fati bel la figura, which sounds like it's like to make a good figure, but it means like to come across in a very nice.
Speaker 4: Way, like you look very nice.
Speaker 5: Like esthetically it can be applied to like the way you like act and maybe communicate to But Italians are very conscious of the way they look, and they like to look nice when they leave the house for virtually anything. I mean sometimes even just to go to the supermarket. You'll see like a lady in full makeup and heels and not like looking nice. And as you say, like, you know, you'll see like older ladies head out and they've done their makeup and they've gotten their hair done, and you know, they're wearing like their nice shirt. And so I agree with you, it is appreciated here to make a little more of an effort. As you say, I think in many Western cultures it's like more and more common to just value comfort over anything else.
Speaker 4: And I admit that me too.
Speaker 5: I'll sometimes leave the house and like flip flops and a pair of comfy shorts and you know, maybe a tank top or whatever. But it is nice and Italians do appreciate if, you know, make a little bit of effort, especially if you're eating.
Speaker 4: In a restaurant, or you're.
Speaker 5: You know, going to museum, or you know you're going down like the main shopping areas. It is something that Italians notice and appreciate when you put a little more effort into it. Plus it's always nice to you know, if you look good, you feel good, and you're on vacation. It kind of just amplifies everything. I will say that not all Italians have the best fashion sense, like like anywhere in the world, of course, and say sometimes fashion choices here may be questionable. And Italians do definitely love fads. It's often easy to tell what the fad is at the moment because you know, everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon. But yeah, Italians are very fashionable. It is one of the main countries for a fashion and effort in that aspect goes a long way too.
Speaker 1: And of the hats, people are always wearing hats. Initially, I think it's great you've got a really good cap that you wear.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like your signature movie, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I absolutely love cagle caps, which actually are in Australian Yeah, and yeah here they call it the scopoletta, which is kind of the The cagole is like part of it, but it's like the Sicilian like little beret kind of thing, and so yeah, Italians will often comment on my scopoleta.
Speaker 6: I like it too.
Speaker 1: It's good all right in terms of other habits. So there's some really interesting things. And at the top of the episode that I mentioned about the traffic, and there is actually an art to crossing the road, isn't it?
Speaker 6: Like seriously?
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: So I half jokingly say that it's like an ever ending game of chicken. Whoever hesitates loses and doesn't get to cross.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Rome is kind of like the midway point between north and south. So in the north people tend to drive a little more normally and we'll maybe respect traffic signs and stuff more. And then the further south you go the kind of more colorful manner we drive. But the rules that we have in Rome you can kind of apply anywhere.
Speaker 4: This is how I describe it.
Speaker 5: You look at what's going on now, so you're at the edge of the sidewalk, and if the car isn't too close and isn't moving too fast, you just start crossing the street.
Speaker 4: You don't really need to look for.
Speaker 5: The zebra stripes the street crossings, because they unfortunately don't really mean much. Yeah, like I have joked that they're mostly decorative. And so you start crossing the street. If the car isn't too close and isn't moving too fast, you must stare at the driver while you do this, or they think you're not paying attention and they'll try to freak you out even more than they normally will. They will stop at the last possible second to make you think that we're not going to stop, so that you hesitate and we keep going. And I say week because I do this too. Part of the thought is that if you don't know how to navigate the street crossing, you're going to slow me down. So I'm going to do what I can to deter you from crossing, and then if you cross, there's like a kind of grudging respect that I will concede.
Speaker 4: Whereas if I.
Speaker 5: Do manage to scare you into not crossing, you know, you may think, ah, maybe you're not from here, maybe you don't really know how to navigate, and then you shouldn't wave, smile or do anything nice until the car starts to slow down, because there you also give way that you're maybe not a local, and they may try to scale you into not crossing. But yeah, there's kind of back and forth. There's this like game that you have to play and they will stop.
Speaker 4: They actually will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now you got to just look into their eyes, you know, you make eye contact basically.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're you're acknowledging that you see them, and you're not nervous, you're not scared, you're not hesitant, because all of those are signs that you're not used to crossing here, and so we kind of assume that you're not from here and.
Speaker 6: You don't live here, and you're going to slow them down.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, So stare at them, you know, And you know, I admit I'm not encouraging anyone to do this, but if I'm crossing a street and I see the person isn't slowing down at all, I'll sometimes stop and turn towards the car and stick my arms out like, hey, buddy, you.
Speaker 4: Know here I am. I see you too. You know you're not scaring me.
Speaker 5: But yeah, there's definitely a kind of grudge respect that you give people that cross that way, and then once they slow down, once they stop, you can smile, wave, do whatever you like. Also, rushing across the street obviously played by ear if it's like a very big multi lane and there's lots of cars feel free to rush through. But that's also something that Italians don't necessarily do. Like you cross it kind of your own pace and that you know you don't have to kind.
Speaker 4: Of rush across either. No, you're crossing your on foot.
Speaker 5: You know, they're in a car, they're faster, they can get to where they're going.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's like, I'm going to do this my way. But isn't it funny as soon as you get in you're like taking your time ambling along, and then as soon as you get in the car the lid foot comes out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know behind the wheel, I'm like, why isn't this person rushing? Whereas when I'm on foot, I'm like, oh, well, why is the car you know, angry that I'm not rushing?
Speaker 6: So funny.
Speaker 1: I've just had a like complete lights on moment about my husband.
Speaker 6: It does exactly the same thing. Is so slow that he walks. It's really good. He gets behind the car. It's like, oh, anyway, Oh, so these other things like timing.
Speaker 1: And I was talking to Olivia the other day, who's on the Untold Italy team.
Speaker 6: She's just moved to Denmark, and.
Speaker 1: She said, oh, we've totally changed our lifestyle. We started having dinner at six thirty at night time. I was like, oh, that's interesting, because obviously, when you're in Italy, there's no way anyone would be having dinner at six thirty.
Speaker 4: Most places are actually closed at six thirty.
Speaker 5: And if a restaurant is serving food between like three thirty and seven seven thirty, it's kind of a red flag, Like it doesn't automatically make it a toast trap, but you know, do a little more research, because most locals do not sit down for food between three thirty and seven.
Speaker 4: If we're hungry, we'll have like a little snack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and different cities and different areas have different snacks. But it is true that Italians in generally later at home.
Speaker 4: They tend to have dinner around eight pm.
Speaker 5: And when we eat out, we tend to eat even later, and so this can sometimes be problematic for cultures that do eat earlier. But I would recommend to, you know, take local approach and if you're hungry in the afternoon, maybe have a little snack and hold out for a local place that'll open around you know, seven seven thirty, seven forty five. And that's actually one of the ways that like, if you want to eat in a place and you can't get a reservation, if you show up right when they open and you say, look, all we want is like a quiate of pasta or whatever, they'll often be able to seat you because restaurants, good restaurants at least stagger their bookings so that you don't flood the restaurant at once because the kitchen comes to a screaming halt.
Speaker 4: You can't put out food for fifty people at a time.
Speaker 6: Let's take a quick moment. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: If you've been dreaming of experiencing Italy the way it's meant to be lived, slow, unhurried and with locals who open their homes and hearts. Our Untold Italy tours are now open for twenty twenty six and beyond.
Speaker 6: We handle every detail so you can just show up and soak in the magic. Spots are limited and many feel months in advance. Check the link in the show notes or visit untold itally tools dot com for details.
Speaker 5: And so it's why often if you walk into a place that's very fancy as soon as they open and you haven't booked. They'll sometimes say, I'm sorry, we don't have a table, even though there's literally no one there, because the tables have been booked for a seven, seven, fifteen, seven thirty, some forty five eight and so on. But if you do show up and say there's just like two of you and you say, look, all we want is like a quick plate of food, they'll often think about it I and be like, okay, I can seat you, but I need the table back by nine, as if it's an impossibility to eat in less than ninety minutes, you know, and it shows you kind of the way Italians view a meal out ninety minutes is a rushed meal, whereas in many other countries ninety minutes is like a very long, leisurely like relaxed, whereas in Italy it's kind of like.
Speaker 4: A rushed lunch.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's definitely worth, in my opinion, waiting to eat at the times that other people do. And you mentioned lived in Denmark, I will say that when I, for example, go to Denmark, I follow those societal arms, so I don't cross the street the way I do here because no one does there. And I admit I find it really hard when I'm sitting at a red light for the pedestrians and there's not a car in sight, Like my body is twitching to just cross the street, and I'm like, no, I'm in a place where that is, you know, frowned upon, So I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 4: As much as it's m D jerk reaction to.
Speaker 5: That's a perfect example of something that you do to like fit in and show respect to the society and the societal norms of the place you're in.
Speaker 1: Is there any other of those type of habits that you can think of? I think you know, you did mention snacks and that's really a pairt to you bo r, which is like the most civilized thing in the world as far as I'm concerned, is to have a little drink in the snack before the main meal.
Speaker 6: I mean, Italians just don't stop eating. It's fabulous, you.
Speaker 4: Know, It's funny.
Speaker 5: I'll say at least half of the conversations you hear when you're walking around around other Italians are about food.
Speaker 4: They're talking about.
Speaker 5: Like what they've eaten, what they will be eating, what they prepared the other day, what they bought at the market, what they plan to cook, it's a very food centric entry. In most food decisions or food choices revolve around digestibility.
Speaker 4: Italians have this funny fixation with digestion.
Speaker 5: It's one of the things that allows us to eat the ridiculous quantities of food that we do on a regular basis while remaining somewhat healthy, let's say. And so there's a number of tricks, Like, Italians have a fairly specific way of eating and ordering food and things, and it in part plays to this digestive benefit. So you mentioned aptidivo, which is the practice of having like a drink before your meal. So it's something that started in Milan, if I remember correctly, between say like five when you were let out of work and around eight when you would go to dinner, you would go to a bar in Italy as a cafe where they also serve alcohol, and you would get like a drink. Often that drink has digestive benefits. So the Sprits is the most popular appity TiVo drink. The Aperol marketing team has done an incredible job of spreading the Spirits to like every known corner of the planet. Apparol has bitterness to it, so does Compoti, which is The other main liquor that you use for sprits is compody, is a lot more bitter, and bitterness is one of these digestive tricks. Bitterness kick starts the production of saliva and gastric juices, and so it either readies your body for food or it kicks your digestion back into gear after you've eaten a lot, which is why Italians also finish the meal with normally a combination of an espresso and then.
Speaker 4: A digestive liquor.
Speaker 5: The bitterness in the coffee will help you digest and the caffeine.
Speaker 4: Will stop you from passing out into a food coma.
Speaker 5: But you don't want to be too alert after your meal, so then the digestive liquor and the whole category they're called amato, which is the Italian word for bitter. The amato kind of, you know, negates the over stimulating effects of the caffeine and kind of levels everything up.
Speaker 4: And here in Rome we call that combination at the end.
Speaker 5: Of the meal cafette matza cafet, which means the coffee and the coffee killer. And actually this is a big one. If you want to fit in, if you want a coffee in a cafe. In a buyer, you never say the word espresso, and it's espresso not expresso. You simply say um cafe un cafette, which means one coffee in that context means an espresso. And then you know if you want it with a little foam, it's caffe machiato.
Speaker 4: Scum auto actually is from because scuma is.
Speaker 5: From Machiato is a little bit of firm, a little milk.
Speaker 4: And then if you.
Speaker 5: Want cappuccino or cafelati you would specify. But cafet is the way you order an espressoonally.
Speaker 1: And there's so many things, but I think you don't need to know all of them, but I think it's good to know if you now, Nazeen, how about some things that visitors do when they go to Italy that bug Italians.
Speaker 6: There's always something, I think.
Speaker 5: So as we were talking about before, I think one of the most common is not greeting, not being polite and respectful in their eyes. So say you do walk into a bar and you walk up to the person making the barista and you just shut out your order or just call out your order without acknowledging them, without addressing them. And saying hello. That's considered quite rude, and I mean there are Italians that do that too, unfortunately, but that's something that they'll kind of bristle to a bit. You know, you're expected to kind of or it's nicer for you to address the person first. Another big no no is being in a market and starting to touch the fruit and veg to select yourself. If you see other people doing that in a market at a stand, it means that that person goes to that stand knows the vendor, and the vendor as a special exception is letting them pick their own stuff. But you normally ask the person to give you, however much of whatever thing you want. So that's another big thing that will rub people the wrong.
Speaker 1: Way when you're in the supermarket, because I do love going into any supermarket wherever I go, because the Italian ones are so good. Like even if it's a supermarket, it's still worth going inside. But if you want to like get an apple or you know anything, you need to put the plastic gloves on, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, absolutely, So the same area where you'll have like the rolls of baggies to put your like fruit and veg in. They are going to be these disposable gloves. Those are the ones that you need to put on to grab your stuff, so you're not like handling, you know, so that hundreds of people aren't handling all of the fruit and beds that you know someone will eventually buy and bring.
Speaker 6: It really makes sense, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: It really does, especially.
Speaker 6: In these post COVID times. I don't know how much we've.
Speaker 5: Lived, but anyway, another thing is and this is a big one, and I think that it's very easy to forget this when you're on vacation. But just remember that these are cities where people live, you know. So if you're navigating the little downtown alleys of any Italian city, just remember that the sidewalks in Italy are often not the best. They're often quite narrow, they're often quite sloped. So Italians often like to walk in the street, but we are always aware of if there's.
Speaker 4: Traffic coming behind us, in which case we will.
Speaker 5: Get out the way, we'll let the car vehicle pass, and then we go back to walking in the street. And that's something that especially in the more popular cities. And I recently went to Florence, and the taxis in Florence. Now, the beeping that trucks make when they back up taxis have that sound when they're driving forward through the little alleys of downtown Florence because people are just walking the street and they don't get out of the way.
Speaker 4: Now, admit, what.
Speaker 5: I do is I just lean on the horn and I kind of, you know, make my presence known, so people start getting out of the way, like you know, before I'm close, because honking here is not as from the palm as it is in many other places, let's say. But that's a big one. And so just like keeping wits about you, remembering that as beautiful as it is, there are people that live here and we do need to kind of go about our daily lives. And so that's something that can definitely rub locals the wrong way, especially in the crowded central areas. And even like the way you dress going to certain places. So one of the beauties of this country has is all of the incredible churches that we have. You should dress respectfully when you enter a church. Theoretically you shouldn't have shorts on. I understand in the summer everyone's wearing shorts. That's fine too, But if you have like a tank top and you know, shorts and flip flops.
Speaker 4: Maybe like visit a church when.
Speaker 5: You're like dressed a little better now, when you have like a little more covering on, and when you're in a church as beautiful as it is, remember that it actually is a church, So kind of keep your voice down, be aware of other people there. And I think a lot of people get lost in taking pictures or posting on social media. And I think this goes back to what you were saying about travel being different nowadays than what maybe we were used to growing up.
Speaker 4: Like when we were growing up, travel was.
Speaker 5: Something that you had to be fairly adventurous to do, you know, like you couldn't see pictures of everything. Like Lonely Planet is one of the things that I used so much growing up because it was a very useful tool. You had like a handful of hostels, a handful of restaurants, and numbers, you know, that list of.
Speaker 4: Like words and greetings.
Speaker 5: Whereas nowadays, I think a lot of people go to places because on social media that've seen like the cool places to see, the pictures you need to take, the viral meals you need to have, and people kind of get lost in that and they forget that there's you know, people around you, and there's more to it. Yeah, which is why I think maybe not everyone I don't want to say, knows how to travel, but you know, you can get lost in things that you're focusing on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can get really caught up in the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's another example that I wanted to give was if you see some people, like there's some fetish petitiization of nonnas in our culture at the moment, and you know, older ladies or even you know, seeing nuns walking through you know, Rome, or you know, it's not okay just to take photos of these people, like you need to ask permission, you know.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And I think, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: People just get caught up in the moment and by thinking oh, that's going to make a good picture for whatever reason, was probably going to sit on the computer for you know, on their phone forever.
Speaker 4: That is That is a really good point.
Speaker 5: And even like if there's someone like preparing food, so for the work I do, I do like to post stuff on social media about food.
Speaker 4: It's very related to what I do.
Speaker 5: But I always ask even just to film the food itself.
Speaker 4: I'm like you.
Speaker 5: If I'm in a store and I want to take like a video of like the beautiful cheese displayer place may have, or the food and badge, the first thing I do is do you mind if I film?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: And the sad thing is it's so surprise to most people that I asked, because most people don't and they just whip their phone out and they start filming.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so that's a perfect example of like a little kind of respectful thing that you can do that will make the person see you much more favorably because like, oh wow, this person actually like cares and you know, is asking for my permission. And so even if you're not filming people, it's a good practice to just be polite mask But as you say, especially if you want to take a picture of someone, you definitely have to ask them.
Speaker 4: I think it's.
Speaker 5: Sad that people think they can just stick a camera on someone's face and just like take pictures of record.
Speaker 4: And once again, we're all humans. Let's be nice to each other and respectful and like space.
Speaker 6: And image exactly. But the thing is, you do get caught up in the moment.
Speaker 1: It's so exciting, and if you're traveling soon you know, it couldn't be more thrilled for you. Because when you arrive there and you get to Rome, and you get to Italy and you step off the plane, something there's that energy and like Nazim said, you go for a walk, you smell the smells, you see the vibe of the place.
Speaker 6: It's just for me. It gives me so much energy.
Speaker 1: And like you said at the start, like imagine having that first experience and what that first experience is like, you know, to go back to that time when you just go, wow, this is like nowhere else I've ever been before.
Speaker 4: It's one of the absolute chows of travel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is. So that was so much fun.
Speaker 1: And you know, like as we said, for the most exciting part about landing in Italy, it's all about discovering new ways of doing things and that you might later adopt for yourself, or even better, you might discover something new about yourself and the way that you like to experience the world. And I don't think there's anything better than that.
Speaker 4: I agree, Well.
Speaker 1: You have a good time in Copenhagen, and maybe when you land back in Rome, you might just transport yourself to another place and just think, ah, this is what it's like, the contrast between the very ordered and you know, manicured Danish sensibilities versus the chaotic, craziness and beautiful chaos of Rome.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely, and I think it's one of the reasons why I enjoy Copenhagen so much. It's the perfect antithesis to room. Yeah, so, as you say, everything's like clean and early and play. Everyone's following all of the societal norms. No one you know, crosses on red lights, everyone respects everyone's like personal space, and so so it's a very nice change of place to hear. Coming back home, it's always I mean, home is home. It's always great to come back. But yeah, travel is great because it allows you to see so many different perspectives and see how people do things differently, and the foods they have and the ways they interact. And yeah, I think everyone to travel as much as they humanly can.
Speaker 4: And you should.
Speaker 5: Definitely make Italy part of your travels if you have or haven't already, because this is really a spectacular place.
Speaker 1: And if you really want to experience Rome with a local, definitely get on one of Nazim's food tours because I can tell you now how many people who've listened to this podcast have been on those tours that right to me and say was the best thing that they did. So groutsy Nizim as always for joining us, and yeah I have to see soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really look for it, and thank you so much. It's always such a pleasure to be on the podcast with you.
Speaker 6: Gout chat.
Speaker 4: Tell everyone.
Speaker 1: Listeners it's always a pleasure to chat with Nazim. He is such a genuine and fun guy who has a passion for sharing his city, fire its food. As I mentioned before, we have quite the back catalog of recordings together and so you can find them easily. We'll list them all on the episode show notes over at untold Isaly dot com forward slash three hundred and thirty six for episode number three hundred and thirty six. As always, you'll find a full transcript of today's episode, including places and concepts mentioned there also. Now, before I sign off, something Nasim said to me today has stayed with me.
Speaker 3: He talked about the little.
Speaker 1: Song and dance that you do when you walk into a place for the first time in Rome or anywhere in Italy.
Speaker 3: Really you say saliver, not chiao.
Speaker 1: Wait till the third visit before you get familiar with your barista Sinka Batzier properly and Juana Janata on the way out.
Speaker 3: None of this is very hard, but you have to know it.
Speaker 1: Before you go, because you can't learn the feel of a place from a checklist of sights and experiences, and that's the whole point of getting into the vibe and starting to feel part of Italy. If you enjoyed today's show, please help support our work by subscribing or leaving a rating or review in your favorite podcast app that helps us reach more Italy loving travelers just like you. If you're joining us on YouTube and enjoyed today's show, we release new videos every week. Hit subscribe so you don't miss a thing. Next week on the Untold Italy Podcast, I'm going to share more about our philosophy on traveling in the twenty first century, but until then, it's chow for now. The Untold Italy Podcast is an independent production podcast editing, audio production and website development by Mark Hatter, Production assistance and content writing by the are they kt Clark, Yes, there are two of us. For more information about Untold Italy, please visit Untold Italy dot com.