Speaker 1: You see them in the videos for Who Can It Be Now and Down Under where they're goofing around and they look at they're like having such a good time at their friends and their buddies. But Colin says that it was pretty much at that time that it was clear to him that this was a band that was not gonna last very long. That PROCs were showing already.
Speaker 2: We're totally bummed rock and roll.
Speaker 1: I mean gotta leave you. You're reading Little Hands says it's time to rock and roll.
Speaker 2: Rock Up, I totally booked. Welcome back to book Down Rock conversations with authors, musicians, and insiders revealing the stories behind classic rocks, greatest songs, albums and artists. I'm Eric Senach. Before we get started. If you'd like to support the podcast, get episodes commercial free, sign up for the Backstage Pass from Patreon for just five dollars a month. Link in the show notesory you can go to book down Rock dot com. Now onto our guest, a returning guest, a Book Down Rock Hall of famer Greg Prater, who has a brand new book out titled Down Under The Men at Work in Colin Hayes's story. Greg. Welcome, backward to see you again? All right, Hello, everybody knows the name Men at Work, but we know little to nothing about their formative years. What became of them? Why do you think that is? Is there a lack of interest or have the band members been unwilling to talk about it other than Colin.
Speaker 1: You know, it's very strange because if you think about it, they were probably one of the most visual or most seen bands early on in MTV, with the videos for who Can It Be? Now, down Under, Bego Johnny. Also, of course, the ballad Overkill was also a very popular video on MTV. So it's funny how they were probably one of the most visual bands, the most covered bands of the time, and yet they just disappeared like pretty quickly, you know. I mean, from in nineteen eighty three they played the US Festival just below headliners the Clash on the US Festival's New Waved and within about two or three years, two or three years later, they're just totally gone, finished and forgotten, which is very difficult to do, I mean with a band that was that covered and that successful, and you know, I mean, you know, it's also people know the songs, but like they don't know like, for instance, Colin Hay's name necessarily, so like they'll know men at work. They may even know Business as Usual as the album, but you mentioned Colin Hay or Greg Ham, Aron Striker and they're like who you know?
Speaker 2: Right, So it's yes, this is a band who also won a Grammy Best New.
Speaker 1: Artist exactly, and Colin a has a funny thing he's gone on records saying it's the nineteen eighty three Best New Artist Award aka Kiss of Death Award. Because right after that their career well after that, they still had some success with their second album, Cargo, which some people tend to point to that as a sophomore slump album, and it really wasn't. It was a very very good album and it did have hits on it, just that the problem with that, which I talked about in the book, they rush released it because people, some people don't know Business as Usual came out in nineteen eighty one in their native land of Australia, it didn't come out to nineteen eighty two here in the States. So what they wanted to do is they wanted to show that they still had an allegiance to their homeland. So even so Business as Usual hits in the US in like late eighty two is when it starts its number one run of I believe fifteen consecutive weeks, which is insane if you think about it. But even before that starts, they're already I think they already finished work on their second album because they wanted to put it out, meaning like judging from the timeline of when it came out in Australia, so that was a year before the US. Really what should have been done, and this is what even Colin Hay admits now looking back, they should have waited and not put out Cargo so quickly. They put out Cargo. I think when Business as Usual was either still number one or it was definitely still in the top ten. I know that. And there was even like a period of time where Business as Usual was above Cargo in the top ten or even on like the charts. So it was not wise to yes, So it just wasn't wise to put it out so fast, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: The opening chapter is about Colin Hay before the band even exists, so let's talk about that. Where's he from? He had a dad who owned a record store, so that was an advantage for him.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's from Scotland originally, and they had to move eventually because he had a I believe, he says, a wheezing problem. I guess he had either allergies or something like that. So I think just as he was about to be a teenage turned to turn into a teenager around that time. But he had already discovered the Beatles and his father owned a music store. He sold instruments and they also sold records. So Colin says how he always felt like he had a little bit of an in because he would always get the records. He would always hear the records before all his school chums would hear them. So he'd hear the Beatles and the Kinks and the Who and all these great and the Stones, all these classic records and bands before the public would actually hear it. So and that's when he starts learning guitar. But it wasn't I think until he moved to Australia that he and I think he moved right around I believe it was right around the time of Sergeant Pepper if I'm not mistaken, because he says that's an album that always reminds him of like the Move and that was an album that really left the lasting impression on him. I think inspired him to start taking music more seriously and that's when we started playing with bands, and by the early seventies he's in pub rock bands, playing pubs and also hotels in Australia at the time there were a lot of pub rock type things and hotels to play. And yeah, I don't know if I mentioned already. Yes, So from Scotland they moved to Australia where the weather where they moved was a little bit better, you know, so just to help his health problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where he meets Ron Striker. They so all this begins as those two guys an acoustic duo. So how did they meet and then how does the rest of the band meant at work come together?
Speaker 1: Yang, they just met just through playing music the local scene. I know that Colin Hay meets Greg Ham, who's the floutist and also saxophone player, through mutual friends. I think he even met Greg Ham before Ron Striker, before he met Ron Striker. But yeah, Ron Striker he meets in the early to mid seventies and they're not playing rock music. They're not playing rock music. They're playing acoustic folk type stuff and I think they were really into. Some of the bands he lists that he really liked were I think Steely Dan. He also liked Nick Drake, who is a underrated folk singer guitarist who has a tragic tale. He died early on from a drug overdose. But he became kind of like a cult figure after his passing and he has a whole moon fans. Yes, exactly, great song, exactly. Yeah. So, yeah, they started playing together a bit and then by the late seventies they were in a they got involved in a musical, some like Obscure Musical in Australia, and then one by one, through also going to college, they met other people. They met the bassis, they met the drummer, and then Men at Work slowly forms and again it's playing hotels primarily and also clubs. There was like a whole circuit around the whole Melbourne area. And yeah, by seventy nine eighty they were so big that they had to stop playing hotels because it was too small for them.
Speaker 2: The name Men at Work, it's become iconic. Its origin is very simple.
Speaker 1: Right, pretty simple. Yeah, For a while they would be playing and they didn't have a name. It would just say Tonight and Colin or Colin and Ron until I forget who suggested men at work. I think it may have been someone who worked at a one of the hotels or bars that they were playing at, and they just kind of like the whole men at work thing because similar to the US, you'd always see these men at work signs with you know, people working on roads and construction and things like that. So that, you know, I guess, just made sense for them at the time, So why not, right.
Speaker 2: And it was fitting and they were working hard, right, they were playing constantly.
Speaker 1: Constantly, Yes, yeah, yeah, they were a very hard working band and that's what pretty much made them so tight, and that's what improved these songs. You know, when you're playing every night. That is what Colin says too. You get instant grad you get instant feedback from the crowd, you're playing in front of what works, what doesn't work. And he says something interesting too that I think to him he quickly realized that he wrote the best songs of the band. That he said there was like going into it, it was going to be a democracy. So if anyone had a new song they would play it in front of a band. But then he realized, at one point, we're just kind of wasting time with these other songs that aren't going anywhere, whereas he was the one that was writing all the songs that eventually became the classics. So you know, he does have a point that you know, it was it's almost like similar to the Police with you know, Sting is this insanely talented, prolific songwriter. You have Andy Summers and Stuart Copland who are also very talented, and there wrote some you know, good songs for the Police, but there's a it's a quantum leap what Sting is writing compared to what Andy Summers and also Stuart Copland is writing. And that was similar to all so the setup within men at work as well.
Speaker 2: Then Colin tells you in the interviews that you've done with him, he could tell early on that the cracks start to show, even early in that first year or two.
Speaker 1: To me just as a fan at the time, and like, looking back, it's like so weird. You know, you see them in the videos for who Can It Be Now and down Under where they're goofing around and they look at they're like having such a time that their friends and their buddies. But yeah, Colin says that it was pretty much at that time that it was clear to him that this was a band that was not gonna last very long. That cracks were showing already. It seems like him and Greg Hamm were the closest ron striker in him. It seemed like they started to kind of gradually drift apart, and the bassist and the drummer they had a whole other viewpoint of how the business should be run and who they were kind of saying that certain band members should be fired and like all it. And they also didn't like the fact that Men at Works manager was a old college friend of Collins, who granted, it's a gentleman whose name right now escapes me, but he didn't go on. I give him credit that he did a good job managing Men at Work because they their career skyrocketed, but he never went on to do anything after Men at Work. So the bassist in the saying we got to get rid of him and get a real manager, and Colin Hey puts his foot down and says, no, I don't I want to stay with this manager, and that was also a main reason why they broke up is there was like a whole the bassist and also drummer. Well, I should say the bassist name is John Reese and the drummer's name is Jerry Spiser. I should put that there. But yeah, the manager he uh yeah, So Colin sticks by the manager and then by Cargo, they're already drifting apart. And then after the Cargo tour is over, the bassist and the drummer are excused from the band.
Speaker 2: That crazy, I mean, none of none of us knew that that was going on. You're watching on MTV. Just like you said, they seem like they're all get along great. Yeah, Alb's blowing up. Everything's good, right, I mean yeah.
Speaker 1: But it just it's so baffling why even like the manager wouldn't have been like look, just like let's say it's the same with of course, Van Hallen is the biggest example of this, Like, guys, just sit down, let's talk this over, let's work this out. Fine, you're not getting along, you know, we're gonna take two months off just we're doing nothing for two months. Just leave and we're gonna come back in two months and we're gonna work this out, you know, or like to use Van Helen as an example, like you know, Eddie and Dave. I want you guys just to go away for the weekend together someplace. I want you to work at your differences. Come back. When you finally work things out, we're gonna pick you know, I just little you know things like that, or you know, it just seems like it could have been worked out so easily, but who knows, you know, I guess age has to do it. They were young at the time. You don't. Maybe you think it's you know, well, we were this successful once. I'll you know, Colin maybe was thinking, oh, I could just launch a solo career and I'll have just as much success, you know, or the men at work rhythm sections like oh, we'll just you know, pick up where with some other band or you know, something like that. But of course it's very difficult when you get that type of chemistry within a band and you know, the friction, and sometimes it's not pleasant to be in a band with friction. But that's what makes your Police so great, your Van Allen's so great, the Ramones so great. Is that friction, you.
Speaker 2: Know, the Cricketer's Arms. I was looking through the skinning through the book, I was trying to remember the name of the club that that was the big place there where they really worked on perfecting their their sound and and really gelling as a band, The Cricketer's Arms. So if anybody who's listening from Australia right now or watching, I'm sure they recognize that name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And if if you ever get the chance going YouTube, there's an interesting clip that I came across while I was doing research for the book, Greg Ham and also Colin Hey, go back and visit it around like nineteen eighty five, like right around the time they put out their third album, Two Hearts, and it's a little little tiny like bar. You know, it's pretty crazy to think that a band like men at work that. Just a few years later again they were opening up for Fleetwood Mac, opening up for David Bowie and then of course their second only Below the Clash at the nineteen eighty three OZ Festival on the New Wave Night.
Speaker 2: Three twenty seven Punt Road, Richmond, Victoria. You even got that in the book.
Speaker 1: Sounds right, yes, sounds great.
Speaker 2: Did your homework all right?
Speaker 1: So the Davit.
Speaker 2: The debut album Business as Usual, huge commercial and critical success. Here's some stats here. Released November ninth, nineteen eighty one, it spent fifteen weeks at number one in the US Billboard two hundred from late eighty two into early nineteen eighty three, five weeks at number one in the UK and early eighty three who Could It Be? Now? And down Under both number one singles in the US. Surprising to learn how personal who Can It Be?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Was compared to how humorous it sounds?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: What's the story behind that?
Speaker 1: Kyle Hey says he was living in a flat, which is another word for a apartment, and he was unemployed. But there was some He talks about this in the book, that there was some kind of slight scam that you know, they were playing in a band and making money, but it was probably either paid in cash so you didn't really have to report it to the attacks man. But then he didn't. He wasn't working to also get like I guess, unemployment checks on top of it, so he was always paranoid. Whenever we would hear people coming up the door, knocking on his door, there was maybe going to be someone checking to see if he was pulling a scam or if he was looking for work or something like that. He also talks about that there was a gentleman that lived right across the hallway from him that he that he thinks may have been selling drugs. So he would also get knocks at the door for people looking for that guy, which he again thinks it may have been someone selling drugs. They may confused him. So it was kind of paranoia. It was kind of like a like a paranoid type of thing, and that was pretty much an do yes. So that was kind of the inspiration for that, and the video reflects that will little bit with the classic scene where you see all these weird guys going up the hallway. There's a alien, I think, and there's a few other there's one of the men at work, gentleman dresses a woman. I remember, it's all it's all on that video.
Speaker 2: But now it makes sense. Who can it be knocking at my door? Tiptoe across the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't you see? He'll knock all day? Yeah, I'll be trapped in here after day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Down Under has become almost an unofficial Australian anthem. One of my favorite revelations in the book is that the famous flute intro to down Under almost never happened. Producer Peter is.
Speaker 1: It McKeon, McKeon, it's mickey.
Speaker 2: He deserves a lot of credit here on this whole album talk about this particular song though originally a bassline opened the song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before the album came out, they actually put out a single and it was a song called Key Punch Operator on Sriday, which was never on any Men at Work albums, and the B side was actually down Under. If you listen to the now, the single version is different than the album than the album version that eventually came out, and the single version sounds almost like a completely different song. It's a slower tempo and it also begins it's not the flute playing the famous melody. It's a fretless bass, and it's not nearly as catchy and not nearly as bright and upbeat. It's almost like a morose, depressing type sound like sounding version of it. So yeah, Peter McKeon definitely has should deserves a lot of credit for saying no, we have to switch things around the same also to backup for the song called who Can It Be Now? Originally live that had a whole other beginning part of the song, and it wasn't until almost not halfway through, but like a good minute in the song that the now classic saxophone part comes in. But Peter McKeon heard that and said, no, no, no, you got to cut out. The whole minute has to start right away with a drum bit and then right into the saxophone part. And Colin Hay was like, oh, yeah, I never thought about about that, and again that's what we remember about that song. And also with the song down Under, if it was a fretless bass, it sounds not nearly as appealing, but with the flute, that's the whole entire hook and that's what made the song such a classic.
Speaker 2: And the other single was Be Good Johnny hit number seventy eight on Billboard, and Colin talked to you about that song, which he co wrote with Greg Ham, and growing up, I always thought it was just a funny song about a mischievous kid, but after reading your chapter, I came away thinking it's really about celebrating people who don't quite fit society's expectations. Right. What was your takeaway, Yeah, that's pretty much.
Speaker 1: It may be also a little bit autobiographical for Colin, because he talks about that he only likes to daydream, and I'm thinking maybe that would have to do it a little bit, maybe when he was younger, and maybe even moving to Australia before he made friends or something like that. Maybe that's a reflection of that. But interestingly enough, when I did research for the book, to the best of my knowledge, Be Good Johnny was never issued as a single in America, which is baffling because it had a very popular video being played all the time on MTV. I remember it was right around holidays of nineteen eighty two. It was being played a lot, and this song was played a lot on the radio, and it was and it was on the charts like for album rock whatever. But yeah, I don't think it was ever issued as a single in the States. It was issued elsewhere, but never in the States, which is kind of strange. Something I talk about in the book too is this was like right before albums like Thriller showed you that you could have more than one single, you could have multiple videos. Like at that point, really most albums you were lucky if you got two videos max, you know, or two singles, Max, then the record company wanted you on to the next album, and then it wasn't really until say like def Leppard Hysteria, where it's like, oh, you could have like five or six singles.
Speaker 2: In video seven right seven?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? Yeah, So that then then you could really milk these albums, you know. So yeah, So an album like Business as Usual definitely, I think could have had a larger shelf life if they maybe spaced out the singles and the video. They probably could have done more videos if they wanted, But it was onto the next album. I think a little to a prematurely personally.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because there are other songs on that album that could have been hits.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and the same also with Cargo too. There's songs one of the best which we'll get to when we talked to Cargo, I think talk about Cargo. I think the best song on Cargo has never even issued as a single.
Speaker 2: That's one we will get too. Yeah, business as usual. Let's see what were the other tracks on?
Speaker 1: Oh I Can I Can See It in Your Eyes is probably one of my favorite sure men at Work songs, and and Colin says that was actually being considered for the first single off the album, but then they eventually rightfully decided to go with who Can It Be Now, which is clearly the more correct choice. But I love the song called A song called the Underground is great. Saxophone Part one has a great saxophone part I love Touching the Untouchables is great. Catch a Star is great, and then and then and then Down by the Sea is such a classic, amazing song. I love that song so much, you know, and then and something else that Colin is very uh, you got to give him credit. He's very complimentary towards smoking marijuana concerning writing a lot of these songs. Yeah, talks a lot about how like that song in particular, it had it was a certain a certain type of pot he was. It was something tripping grass, it was called. And he said, he uh smoked that. And he just was playing a chord and I forget the chord, he said, but it was like I just was sitting on this one chord and it was such a nice sounding chord. And that became down by the Sea, which is one of my favorite Men at Work songs, and when you see them play it live. There's some full length concerts from eighty two eighty three on YouTube you could find and when when they do that song, it's like a whole other epic type song. I highly recommend try to find the live versions of that song.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, vegemite sandwich has become one of those. It's it's just something that people talk about right on the back of the book.
Speaker 1: You know, I have to I have to confess something I said to myself before this book comes out. I'm gonna find vegemite and eat it just so I could say what it tasted like. And I just never got around to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's a spread.
Speaker 1: It is a spread. Yes, I actually asked Colin. Hey, and it's something to do with yeast. It's a yeast extract. It's related to beer. But it's not like you know, alcohol. But yeah, it's and it's not like I don't think it's a sweet tasting thing. I think you put it so, you put it on toast, and then I saw like people also put other stuff on it though now too. But I think you put bread, actually bread butter and also vegemite, I think. But there are people like I interviewed Alan Hunter, one of the original mtvvas, and he said he once ate it or someone on him, like the MTV crew tried it. They said it was absolutely disgusting.
Speaker 2: Well, he brings up. He brings up a great point in the book. Their videos were funny, they were low budget, full of personality.
Speaker 1: They never took themselves too serious.
Speaker 2: He never took themselves too seriously. And Alan Hunter made an interesting observation that the videos may have created such a lighthearted image that they overshadowed just how strong the songwriting actually was. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 1: Possibly? Possibly. I think what really hurt them the most is Rush releasing the second album. And also, I mean the manager again and again, because he's only mentioned like a few times in the book. His name right now escapes me. But I okay, yeah, I mean I think that if they had a manager who was maybe more experienced, he would have probably said, you know, guys, we should just take some time off, and you know, we shouldn't split up the band, and we shouldn't excuse the bassist and the drummer. We should take some time off and let things simmer for a little bit and come back strong.
Speaker 2: But Russell Deppler, Russell.
Speaker 1: Deppler there, he was a college chum of Collins who said, you know, if you ever put a band together, I could, you know, try to help out. And from that I mean, but you know, again, to his credit, he was the manager during their success, so he obviously knew what buttons to push, But as far as keeping that lineup together, didn't didn't do that that good of a job.
Speaker 2: Here's a question if MTV never existed, would Men at Work would would they still be remembered as one of the defining bands of the early eighties.
Speaker 1: That's hard to say. Probably not, because but then again, you can say the same about Duran Duran. He could maybe say the same about Quiet Ryet. Like all these bands that used MTV to their advantage, I mean, would with def Leppard, Pyro Main you have been as popular without the videos for Photograph and also Rock of Ages, I don't know, you know, I mean even something like the Kiss Look It Up video that created such a buzz because they took off their makeup. Would would if it wasn't around, if it was just like, oh, in the next issue of Hit Parader, there's a picture of Kiss with no makeup. Would that of you know, resonated as much as they look it up? Being look it Up? Video being played as much as it was at MTV. Probably not so. There's certain bands that definitely benefited greatly, and Men at Work was definitely one of the bands that benefited the most from MTV and also their videos. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think the songs are so good that they they outlived the video.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, the play is still being played to this day on the radio. Yes.
Speaker 1: And something else I talk about in the book, Colin Hay is a very underrated guitarist. I didn't know until or do you want to wait till we get and songwriter? Yes, and songwriter. There's a song on Cargo that I'm talking about the guitar which we wait for. Oh yeah, let's let's se' wait till we get the court.
Speaker 2: Let's get to that now. Yeah, that's I mean. The book tackles one of one of rock's classic questions, how do you follow a blockbuster debut? And they followed with Cargo in late April nineteen eighty three. What did you discover about the pressure that they felt while making Cargo?
Speaker 1: Funny enough, there was no pressure because they completed the album before the album took off. In they completed Cargo before Business Usual took off in America, so it was in the can pretty much. I personally think they would have been better served for the band not to have recorded. Then they should have completed touring for business as usual, then gone and recorded, because one thing I've met at work, they played a lot of unreleased songs live during that tour. There's a lot of live recordings out there. There was one very good album that came out a few years back called Live at christ Church nineteen eighty two, which was on Spotify for a while and they just vanished off and almost half of the album is songs that were never on any minute work albums. And you know, some of the songs are good, some of them are You could see why they weren't on albums, but you could they're all decent songs and if they were maybe fine tuned a little bit better, they could have been on albums. But yeah, so the pressure they really wasn't pressure because they were they had the album done, they had the songs done, and two the credit. It maybe wasn't as front to back exteller as business as usual, but it was maybe just like a touch less It was like, for instance, I mentioned Quiet Riot, there's a huge difference between Metal Health and then the follow up Condition Critical. It's just like, oh yeah, two totally different. Like there's one album you could see why it was such a big MTV hit and everything, and the other one it's like, oh my god, this sounds like Demo. I mean, I don't know what, it's not the same band, whereas Cargo sounds like a follow up that maybe just would have benefited a little bit more if you just wait, made it a little bit longer.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's why this is all like reading the book. This is news to me because I always looked at that second album. I never looked at it as geez, what what could have been? Or it was a sop one. I mean, doctor Heckel and mister Jive Overkill It's a mistake are all on there.
Speaker 1: And high Wire high Wire video on MTV.
Speaker 2: Great song. That's four singles, four solid singles and two huge overkill and it's a mistake. We're two huge hits.
Speaker 1: But we also have to remember that the best song that would probably have been the biggest hit, a song called Blue for You, is never even issued as a single. And when I when I asked you, Colin, hey, not that long ago. I was like, why was that never released as a single. He's like, oh, I don't know. I mean the the label thought Doctor Heckel and mister Jive. And I was like, I mean that that's a novelty song. But to me, Blue for You has a clear reggae vibe, but it's like reggae pop. It would have totally I think the people that love down Under would have definitely gotten into that as well. It would have kind of connected the dots. I think that was a top ten single that was very easy. It should have been spotted, but it wasn't, and just sure, sure just slipped through the cracks. And then also they were playing a song on the tour called The Longest Night, which was never on a Mentwork studio album, which to me is a complete travesty because it's one of their great songs and they played it live but never never they even put on the third album, which it should have been on the third album because it was played during the Cargo tour, which I don't understand why, you know, I guess maybe if you're too if you're in the band and too close to it, you sometimes can't differentiate which songs are better than others, or like which song should make the cut, which one shouldn't you need that's I guess why you need a good a good producer or a good manager to say, hey, you know this song, we need to focus on this song. Is the video et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: The Longest Night? I feel like, is that? Is that on Spotify it?
Speaker 1: Or is that, yeah, you know there's I believe that live versions. Men at Work put out a live album in the nineties called it was just simply titled Brazil and I think they what it is is they they went back and recorded a studio version, but that was a live album, was just a studio vert, just one studio track, and it was that. But that wasn't the original band anymore. It was just Colin Hay and Greg Hammett that point, with some session type guys filling in.
Speaker 2: But again, the stats, I mean they speak of themselves. The album peaked at number one in Australia three on Billboard eight in the UK. It sold three million copies in the US. Doctor Heckel and Mister Jive Number twenty eight, Overkill number three.
Speaker 1: Overkill is a very big hit.
Speaker 2: It's a mistake.
Speaker 1: Number six top ten single exactly. And the thing too that I talked.
Speaker 2: About, how many bands would kill to have that out, Like if that's a debut album, that's a success story right there.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I talk about in the book, that there's count I mean, zillions of bands would give their left arm to have their second album be that successful. I mean, they actually did the it's so difficult for bands to avoid the sophomore slump, and Men at Work miraculously did it. And they just fumble the ball, which is completely maddening, Like they actually made it over the hump. They did all the heavy lifting, they pulled off what they needed to do. And then instead of again them just saying, guys, let's just take the next year off. We're done. We'll come back in late nineteen eighty four. We're gonna come back. But no, they just, you know, pretty much pissed it all away, which is such a travesting.
Speaker 2: Well that's where we're at now. What followed was what would be the final minute work album, nineteen eighty five's Two Hearts.
Speaker 1: You know, let me just quickly jump into I also something I talk about in the book.
Speaker 2: Oh you want to talk about a solo too.
Speaker 1: It Colin Hay is besides being a great singer, great songwriter, great performer. Two we see his videos like how you Know. He's very like nutty wacky, entered hating performer, but his guitar playing is very underrated. I always assumed he was just a very good rhythm player. But in the video for the song called Overkill, that has one of my favorite guitar solos. I love that guitar solo's like a It's like a Mark Knopfler, a Dar Straits type solo. But the video all you see are just the close up of fingers, the fingers on the frets and the guy playing. So I always assumed it was Ron Striker playing it. Then going back and doing research for the book watching actual live versions, it's none other than Colin Hay playing it. So Colin Hay is a very underrated guitarist, and he also watching a lot of the live stuff. He also does other song He does other solos too. On the first album Business as Usual, a song I mentioned before called I Can See It in Your Eyes as a great guitar solo, and that's him again. It's a very melodic, tasteful Mark Knopfler type solos, and those are like my favorite types of song. I mean, we talked about, of course, the great Eddie van Haleen many times. Of course I like that he's technically gifted. But you know, my favorite Eddie Vanhalen things are when he's not shredding It's twenty. The beginning of you Know Mean Street is like one of my favorite I absolutely love that, you know, and he of course it's his song perfectly.
Speaker 2: It compliments the song and it's understated exactly.
Speaker 1: The solo in the middle of the song ain't talking about love. All it is is just one simple, single thing, and it fits the song perfectly. It doesn't have to be a vay Malmstein type shread thing. You know.
Speaker 2: Find the bookdown Rock website at bookednrock dot com. There you can find all the back episodes of the show, the latest episode in video and audio, links to all of the platforms where you can listen to the podcast, plus all the social media platforms were on Blue Sky, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and x. Also check out the booked on Rock blog. Find your local independent bookstore, find out all the latest rock book releases, and before you go check out the booked on rock online store, pick up some booked on rock Merch. It's all at booked on rock dot Com to nineteen eighty five's Two Hearts. None of those singles were big hits. Everything I Need peaked at number forty seven on Billboard, not too bad. But the other singles were Maria hard Luck story in Sale to You. Colin Hay later said that by the time Two Hearts came around quote, the band was over, even if I didn't realize it yet. So who exits the band? And why we've just got two members now on.
Speaker 1: This Yes, okay, so okay. So what happens is after the cargo tour is done, John Reese, the bassist, and also Jerry Spyser, the drummer, they're both excused via phone. I believe Colin Hay calls them and says his quote is your services are no longer needed. That's what he says, which again, I mean, you know, you would like to think the manager would have been like, Hey, you know, Colin, I think it's a good idea. Let's just try to u through. Let's work this out with everybody you know or you know meet. They could have met halfway like all right, look, you know we'll have there's bands that have two managers managed, you know, or like, you know, we can why do we bring in a manager that we all can all agree on or something like that. But no, it was either you know, that was it, and so those guys leave. Then it's Colin Hay, Greg Hammer and also Ron Stryker stay together. They work on okay, and then they also decide not to use the producer Peter McKeon on this third album, which is a big mistake because if you something else I didn't talk about. He listened back to those two albums business as usual, almost a cargo. They're not dated sounding. They have a very timeless sound about them, and that's why they have aged so well. And that's a huge part of that is, of course Peter McKeon's production. And I talk about this in the book too. It's crazy to think about. You would have thought that he would have been a much in demand producer after two huge albums. You would have thought, like big bands would try to go after him, but he never really you know, turned into a big name much so after producer. It's very strange. So and he sadly passed away, not that long ago, maybe like a year or two ago. He passed away. So it's sad they never really I mean, he of course was successful with the men at work, but you know, he never got the qul to you know, produce the cars or you know, Def Leppard or Pat Bennettar, although he wrote a song for Pat Bennettar and wrote a song for Barbara streisand but he never got to produce any other big eighties bands, which is a shame because I think he would have done a very good job and he probably would have a lot of these dated sounding eighties productions probably would have sounded better with him as the producer.
Speaker 2: You know, Greg Hammond Colin Hay produced Two Hearts.
Speaker 1: Two Hearts, And that's why Two Hearts doesn't that has a dated sound. It's very processed drums. It's that exactly. It's that horrible eighties gated drum or. It's like a cannon at which I can't stand that. It just sounds very dated. The materials not as good. There's some songs that are okay, like this song every Day I Need I like a lot YEP, that's a good song. But I can't help but here you know, if it had the Peter McKee in production, if it had the other guys on it, you know, if it had the business as usual production, it would have been so much better. And I think you needed Peter McKee in to say, guys, like half these songs aren't nearly as good. We got to you know, go back and what's again? What's crazy? They actually had songs on the shelf that were better than a lot of these songs, like the song The Longest Night should have been on this album, but for some reason it wasn't. You know, it makes absolutely no sense why you had all these other songs that could have easily been on this album and they just sat there and never got released.
Speaker 2: Well, I did give the songs a listen or over the weekend, you know, after reading the book and getting ready for the interview, and I gotta say, I gotta defend some of these songs, like Man with Two Hearts, I like thing I Need a like. I think Sale to You is a good tune. I always like Maria because they included that on.
Speaker 1: A best Yeah, Best of You.
Speaker 2: I think hard Luck's Story is another one. Snakes and Ladders I like too.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, just it's hard for me to listen to it and not think what could have been, And and also the fact that it's pretty much the sound of a band just like on its like last legs. Yeah, you know, so it's like one of those types of things that.
Speaker 2: But I feel like giving up is another one too. I think I might even dig I got to listen to it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just can't. It's like one of those things I just can't help. I can't hear it without just seeing the band breaking up pretty much in front of our eyes. And also it should have they should have Peter McKeon producing have been so much better.
Speaker 2: But what I remember is getting their best of in the late eighties when I was in high school and having no clue what Maria was. I didn't know where those songs were from, you know, Snakes and Ladders, Maria man with two. I'm you know, That's how That's how disinterested I was in met at work, right, I mean in a lot.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, what that is is that's a sneaky label ploy er, a label maneuver. A lot of times, when a band puts out an album that doesn't sell well, they'll put out a best of after it. I know, for instance, Rat did this, well not Rat, but Rat's label did this. They put out you had me on a while back talking about the book I did about Rat. They put an album called it was called Detonator, which was not one of the better albums, and they put out a best of shortly thereafter, in like half the songs almost different songs from that album. And it's similar to this Ultimate at Work thing. Is like the record labels, well, you know, why don't we pad it with songs from this album that no one really knows. Who knows maybe one of these songs will become a hit or you know, maybe you know something will happen, you know, who knows. But that just you're kind of taking advantage of the poor bastard who's buying the CD, who now isn't getting turned on to, you know, great a material. Now you have this Grade B and also grade C, do do well?
Speaker 2: What's funny is I can't even see I'm looking on Wikipedia. I can't even it might have been one of those cheesy best of compilations that wasn't even a major label deal. It was okay because I just seemed to remember getting it in the late eighties, and they didn't. They put out a best of eighty one to eighty five in nineteen eighty five. Maybe maybe I bought that in I.
Speaker 1: Think the one you may have had was called contraband that the one they came out.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it was in the nineties that I got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that one I remember I bought for a friend and I remember listening to with him and like, I'm like, wait a second, Like I don't even know half these things. And it was because it was Yeah. Half the songs that were on Yeah and something else to I forgot to mention men it work put out a lot of non album B sides for Cargo and also Business as Usual, and again not all of them, but a few of those songs are better than what was on To Hearts. So again they needed someone like Peter McKeon to say, you know, guys, like you know, some of these songs just they're not nearly as good as what we had before. We got to make sure at least it's up to par quality wise and material. But that never happened. Well.
Speaker 2: The album peaked at sixteen in Australia fifty on the US chart, and that was it.
Speaker 1: At that point. Honestly, I wasn't that big in a minut at Work anymore. Like I bought the two albums when it came out. By eighty five, I'm pretty much really into heavy metal at this point. But I remember still watching MTV, and I have no recollection of seeing any of those Men at Work videos from the Two Hearts. It was just like that, that album just came and went so fast. It was It's insane to think that how popular they were just a year or two before. To just it was like someone just flicked a switch. You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they were playing him, it might might have been late at night, in the overnight, you know. Yeah, So, after everything that happened with Men at Work, Colin Hay made that decision to abandon the band name altogether and move forward as a soul artist. How difficult was that for him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, first it was difficult, He says he pretty much had to start from scratch, because he admits that, aside from like diehard Men at Work fans, the name Colin Hay never really you know, Sting connected with the Masses, David le Roth connected with the Masses, like their names, but for some reason the name Colin Hay never connected with the masses. I mean, people know him from his look, you know, but they don't know his you know, lesser known people don't know his name necessarily. So it took him a few years. But to his credit, he never stopped touring and putting out solo albums, so he was able to build up a solo career and also a following. And then he also, like I talked about in the book, he got the call to be a member of Ringo Starr's All Star band and he's been a regular member of that for like the past like almost decade or something like that, which in turn has brought a whole new level of interest to men at Work. And also bands and artists have covered men at work. Mentworks songs are on TikTok all the time, They're in your TV shows and things like that. So I talk about in the book men at Work. Now, maybe they're not as popular as they were in eighty two eighty three, but I'd say there are definitely second to that. Like I'd say eighty two eighty three is their peak, and like I would say, now is you know right kind of below that that just as far as people, you know, still listening to the music, it popping up, people covering it, you know, just the awareness of those songs and commercials and things like that. Sure, so you know, and then also now and also now Colin hay torres as Men at Work even though he's the only he's the only real Men at Work member from the good old days.
Speaker 2: But you got two mega hit songs that everybody knows, who Can It Be? Now? Down Under? You got at least a handful of songs that everybody recognizes. I mean, you could you know, he could throw off of that. And he's got a full right there. And I remember hearing his acoustic version of who Can Have Been Out? I don't know where that's on. He's very bad, heard it on TV show as a man.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's incredibly talented, a incredibly talented gentleman. I'm it's kind of baffling that his solo career, I mean, because he has great solo songs and solo albums. He has a great song called Waiting for a New Life to Begin, which is a classic, it's a classic song amongst his fans, and that's a solo song. And yea, you hear his solo albums, and there's always like some songs like, oh, this could have been a good men at Work song back in eighty three, or you know, or this would have been better than the Two Hearts album if they just just put this out as a menic Ark album back in eighty five.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and he's got a distinct voice too, he does to me. If you hear it, you know it's him if you're of a certain age group. So when the band was inducted into I think it's pronounced the Area Hall of Fame, it's the Australian Recording Industry Association's Hall of Fame in nineteen eighty four, it was one of the few times the original members shared a stage. Again, did that moment create any genuine hope for a full reunion?
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't all the members, it was for them. The guitarist Ron Striker did not show up, okay, but that's one of the few times that Greg Ham and also Colin Hay showed up or were in the same spot as the bassist and drummer who they split from, John Reese, and also Jerry Spiser. So yeah, they were all on the same stage and Colin Hay said the microphone, He's like, it's a shame. He said something like to this, like, it's a shame that it takes something like this for us to all be on the same stage together, which you know, you would think fans hearing that at the time must must have gotten their hopes up, saying, oh, maybe this means that the classic men at Work lineup will get back together, And it meant Meant at Work did eventually get back together a few years later, but just Colin Hay and also Greg Ham, not the other guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for checking out the Booked on Rock podcast. If you've just found the podcast, welcome. If you've been listening, thank you so much for your support, and make sure you tell a friend, a family member, share on social media and let people know about Booked on Rock. And if you do like the podcast, make sure you subscribe give a five star review. Wherever you listen to the Booked on Rock podcast, We're on Amazon, Apple, iHeart, Spotify, Spreaker, tune In, and on YouTube music. You can check out the full episodes on video, along with video highlights from episodes on the Booked on Rock YouTube channel. Find it at Booked on Rock. Thanks again for listening. Now back to the show. Nineteen ninety six, Colin and Greg Ham, they revived Minute Work, They toured South America with new musicians. Were there ever any serious discussions during that period, which was ninety six to ninety eight, about expanding the lineup into a full reunion or was it understood from the beginning that this was just Colin and Greg.
Speaker 1: Now I just known. It was just understood it's going to be Collin and Greg because a can make more money that way, right, you know, and then also be Colin says that well. Later later on there was some problems between Ron and also Colin. Ron was arrested over making threats or something like that against Colin, And yeah, Colin. I went into Colin about a year ago. I asked him, you know, are you still in contact with any of the surviving Men at Work members? Because sadly Greg Ham passed away a few years back. But I asked him, are you in contact with any of the other surviving members? And his answer was just no, and that was it. That's it, And it didn't expand on it. And I didn't want to, you know, pursue that because clearly he just has that behind him and he's just happy just tour. He tours with the same band as a solo artist, and also his men at Work. Just when he plays as a solo artist, he plays more solo songs with Cement at work songs of course in there men at work when he tours, his Men at Work is primarily just men at work with maybe like just one or two solo songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Colin, he's got publishing on all these right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wrote He either wrote or co wrote almost all the songs on those albums. All the hits he either wrote or co wrote. Yeah. Then something we talk about though, is there was a whole legal problem with down Under. About fifteen or twenty years ago, a publishing company came out of the woodwork and said that down Under had a similar melody line to a Australian children's song called Cuckoo Barra in the Old Gum Tree or something like that, which me as a United States gentleman, I never heard that song before, but you hear it in the melodies, you know, kind of similar. But I don't know, I don't I think it was pretty much just someone trying to look for money and they wanted something insane like fifty or sixty percent of the publishing or something crazy. And Colin Hay was forced to take to to take him to court, and he claims he had to blow like millions of dollars in you know, fees, but he said it was worth it because he's not gonna, you know, bend over and take it just what just because a guy's threatening you, you know, so so he fought them, yeah, and then he was able to So they worked out a deal that that this publisher guy, I think something like ten percent or something like that, but not nearly as much as they wanted. But sadly, Colin has a theory that he thinks that played a role in greg Ham's depression and he also developed a drinking problem greg Ham did, and that led to his passing. Just because greg Ham was depressed that he felt that people would always think of him as the gentleman that played the flute part in dn Under and that they would think of him as like a rip off artist, which nobody would have thought. No, I know exactly.
Speaker 2: It's so sad to read about that. The lawsuit was an nine. And then Gregham died of a heart attack. I think yeah, we could look it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was all so like depressed and he yeah, like I said, Collins said, he developed a drinking thing, was his quote later in his life.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, he died in April of twenty twelve at the age of fifty eight, and it really devastated him, he.
Speaker 1: Did, yeah, he said, to this day. To this day, he said, it still upsets him that Greg Ham passed away. He said he always envisioned him and Greg growing altogether and yeah still you know, possibly playing music and having fun together. But yeah, it just wasn't meant to be.
Speaker 2: Sadly, well, yeah, did you feel it was important to remind readers that Greg Ham's legacy should be defined by his extraordinary musicianship rather than the lawsuit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh no, absolutely. Yeah. People don't know he I don't think really took He taught himself the flute and saxophone and all these things, which is crazy as you think about it.
Speaker 2: It was his sister that said she came home from school somebody, yeah.
Speaker 1: Lived with He lived with a house full of people and there was a woman that lived there who played flute a little bit, and he would just take the flute when she wasn't there and play it. But he said, which was kind of disgusting, is after you play a flute, you got to clean it because he gets spit and saliva. And he would just take it and put it back in the case and just and when the girl, when the woman noticed it, she's like, oh, well, now you could pay me, and this is yours now, and he he paid it. But then he then took it, as I guess, a sign, to learn it. And he taught himself a flute and he was a great, great flute slo. I mean, I put him up there with Ian Anderson, right, It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's It's just it's terrible that that that he actually that that weight on him so heavily, because it wouldn't the fans certainly wouldn't have viewed him that way.
Speaker 1: And no I would have. I mean I that would have. I never ever would have thought of that.
Speaker 2: It was it was mentioned during a game show, right that was it was just an.
Speaker 1: Oh by the way, it was I think so. I think so.
Speaker 2: I made mention of it, and and the the musician or whoever owned publishing on it was watching and said, oh, well, I think I should just sue them, you know, like there was that Yeah.
Speaker 1: What it was was the original writer of the song passed away in the late eighties, and somehow his publishing then got transferred to someone else.
Speaker 2: And that person saw the TV show.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they saw the TV show, but somehow they put two and two together, possibly that and then yeah, and then they went after they went. They didn't even go after Greg Ham. They went after Ron Striker and also Colin Hey. I believe those are the two. Let me double check that. I'm pretty sure those are the two gentlemen that wrote down under Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which made Greg probably feel.
Speaker 1: Worse yes because he played yes.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't have to. One thing I appreciated about the final chapters is that you update readers on what everyone is doing today, what did they go on to do, and which former members post minute work Journey surprised you the most, if at all.
Speaker 1: Well, probably one of surprising the most is the drummer Jerry's became a teacher, so that's what he went on. He actually after he left Men at Work, he was in a very short lived band with Peter McKeon. I forget the name of the band, but they weren't very good, and I talk about it in the book. They only put out one album and it's it sounds like Genesis, like eighties Genesis, but not nearly as good. Yeah, okay, so, which is a shame because he was actually a great drummer. That's the one thing. You you watch Men at Work shows from eighty two eighty three, they're all great musicians, great singers. You know that very sad. That's such a talented band. Just you know, it's it's one of those bands similar to my beloved Blind Melon that just you know, you wish there was more albums of that classic lineup, you know, I just wish there was more Shannon hun Blind Melon. I wish there was more of Men at Work with that business as usual lineup, you know, with Peter McKeon as the as the producer. But the Bassis still plays in a low he lives in I believe Australia. He plays in like a local band, greg Ham said deceased Colin Hey we know still plays solo and plays as part of Ringo Stars All Star Band and then and then Ron Striker. Interestingly enough, in the nineties or early two thousands, he put out an album that I never heard of until I was doing research for this book, and it's like Middle Eastern music, and it reminded me a lot of the George Harrison songs, the Middle Eastern sounding songs he did with the Beatles, and some of the songs are very interesting, very melodic, and all I could think of is, like, this would have been so interesting if like one of these songs was on a minu at work album with Colin Hayes singing. It really would have been so unique and so cool to have like one of the cause Again, it's a very unique sounding song. It's Middle Eastern, but it is melodic, has pop type things, so it's I just said that they just couldn't get along and they you know, no longer or even in kind tech with each other, because I would love to hear what Ron Streiker and Colin a could do if they were to get together and you know, collaborate again. But sadly, I think that ship has sailed a long time ago.
Speaker 2: The book Down Rock Podcast is part of the Boneless podcasting network. If you're a fan of classic rock and classic film like I am, go to Boneless dot Lovable Dot app to find over twenty great shows there that's Boneless down Lovable dot app or just go to bookdown rock dot com, the Boneless podcasting network. It is what you want to be listen with confidence. It's just great that a book is out on this band because they certainly deserved it. Down Under the Men at Work in Colin Hay Story to Cover again.
Speaker 1: By Rado Yep, yeah, Umber by Mary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's out now. It just came out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just came out. It's available as paperback, hardcover and kindle and very shortly audio version with me doing the the whole narration and yeah, you know again. The reason why I've done all my books, and especially this book is I always wanted to read a book about men at work and also Colin Hey, it really has nothing, you know, it's funny, Like all these books I've done, I've never done a book like think like oh this, I just want to do a book that's gonna, you know, supposedly make me a lot of money. Of course, I will take the money if it comes my way. But but every single under Dogs, Yeah, but every single book I've ever done. It's it's a subject that I found interesting that I wanted there to be a book about that I wanted to read about, and so yeah, that's why i've you know, what happened was I talk about in the book too. So I loved Men at Work when they first came out. I had Businesses Usual and Cargo like a lot of other people. I lost interest after that pretty much, just because I got into heavy metal at that point, you know, and just but then in the early nineties I started to listen to all styles of music, like because alternative rock and grunge kind of broadened my listening at that point. So then I started listening to, you know, jazz and funk and all other styles of music. And then there was a weird thing like, oh, you know, I you know, let me listen to some of this stuff I used to listen to. And then I remember I bought Business as Usual on CD around ninety two ninety three, and I was blown away. I was like, wow, I forget how good this is. And then I got Cargoing. I was like, wow, Cargo is great too, And I just never bothered to get Two Hearts because I just didn't remember. I didn't buy it when it came out, so I didn't know any of it. But yeah, listening back to it, it just never really flowed to my boat.
Speaker 2: Yep. But this book answers the question. I think a lot of people were asking, what the hell happened? You know, this band was huge, and it simply was really a matter of it just wasn't a democracy as Colin a had hoped. It's just that he was the guy, he was writing the song, and there was just there's no way it was going to work. From day one. I think he had he pretty much knew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, it's just crazy, how there's no way to predict if a band is gonna like, you know, looking at Men at work in eighty two eighty three, you would say, look, especially after eighty three, after they, like I said, avoid the whole a dreaded a sophomore jink, sophomore slump thing. You think, all right, well now they're just home free now, Yeah, so that's it. They were able to do it, but no, they just totally imploded. You know. It's weird how just there's no way to predict if a band is going to stay together. Not how you know, a band like Pearl Jam stays together for decades, but a band like Men at Work is only supposed to be there for two or three albums, you know, the same with you know, Jane's Addiction, Blind Melon with Shannon Hun. You know, there's certain and I you know, Van Halen with David Ly Growth was I guess only good for those albums, you know, of course, not counting a different kind of truth, but that Van Halen with Davidly Growth lineup was only meant to be seventy eight to eighty four, I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: But can you imagine, like men at we're getting Mutt Lang to do their next album?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, I know, yeah, just get in there.
Speaker 2: And really like say, hey, guys, your first two albums were great. Let's let's take us up a notch.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, that would have been great, or honestly, I mean, really they should have just stuck with Peter McKee. And I mean I feel the same way we talked about the last time I was on about Smashing Pumpkins. I think they should have just stuck with Butch vigas their producer. As soon as Butch Vig left it just I lost total interest and I never really liked another Smashing Pumpkins album. Or there were certain songs I thought were okay, but no album of the Smashing Pumpkins ever came close to what I felt about Gish and Siamy's Dream, and the same with also Meant at Work after Business as Usual and also Cargo. It was never the same. Yeah, that's why you got to get this book.
Speaker 2: To get the book, got to get the book, all right, Greg, thank you. Let's plug whatever people can find you online social media. Also you write for Ultimate Guitar, so.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right for Ultimate Guitar, All Music write a little bit for all these places, and yeah, go to Amazon dot com do a search for Greg Prado. That's where you could find this book down under the Men at Work and Colin hay Story, as well as all my other books that I've talked about. Every book on the show.
Speaker 2: I think we've covered, I mean, except for the sports ones. I'll get a.
Speaker 1: Sports okay, I'll to skip over, but yeah, pretty much every single music when we've talked about. And then also you can go to x dot com slash Greg Prado writer. I'm always posting my latest articles for Ultimate Guitar and also All Music there so you can check that. And I'm also posting when I have my new books and also interviews that I do like. For instance, I'll share this link to this interview. And since I'm always about giving.
Speaker 2: You scoops, Oh boy, here we have.
Speaker 1: A book coming out for the holiday season. Because holiday season, you got to put a book out, right, you have to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, unfortunately, hears.
Speaker 1: Yes, Unfortunately, I cannot tell you who it is exactly, but I will give you a hint. It is it about? It is deal? It deals with a pop culture icon, an all time pop culture icon.
Speaker 2: All right, and is it music related? Do we have?
Speaker 1: There is an aspect of music? He was not a musician, but this, Oh wa wait, I said, he so, okay, you know what, I'm just gonna say who it is? Scott Bea Oh wow, the legendary Scott BeO. I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. I'd say, hey, you know, I you know I speaking of that.
Speaker 2: You remember Joni and Tracci? Right, Yes, of course I I met what was her name?
Speaker 1: Oh, Aaron Moran?
Speaker 2: Aaron Moran.
Speaker 1: Right, I went sadly, sadly passed away.
Speaker 2: I went to a horror festival once. This is like, I don't know, fifteen years ago whatever, and at the table is the guy who plays Mykel Myers in the first movie. There's like three different ones, but he's the one where like they pull them Jamie Lee pulls the mask off right right, Tony Moran. I start chatting with the guy. He's like, yeah, you know my sisters and it was an actress too, she was in The Happy Days. I'm like, what, oh, yeah, Tony Moran and Aaron Moran. Yeah, brothers, and.
Speaker 1: They're also sitting at that table. Wasn't wasn't also Gary A Sharon at that table as well.
Speaker 2: Garry Cheron was there and he's just looking around. He's like, is anybody gonna come to me and ask me to decide? No? Stop it, stop it? But yeah, okay, So it's a pop culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pop culture icon and there is definitely music elements to it. And I did interview well known musicians for it, so yeah, there is definitely a music connection. So yeah, you have to have me back on.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean we got to we're counting the days here. We're counting the days, all right, Greg, thanks as always, go out and get that book on then at work. It's out now, Greg Brado, thank you, sir as always.
Speaker 1: Thank you Eric Audios. That's it, it's in the box. M.